Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Jenrick slips to third place with punters today and likely third place with MPs tomorrow

Comments

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,633
    RobD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I HAVE JOINED THE PB CENTRIST DADS

Just bought the Garmin Venu 3 at Gatwick

Including flights and accommodation I might just have crept over my £400 Geneva budget

Sad, you should have gone for the Apple Watch Ultra 2.

The black one is the watch Batman would use.
    I wanted the one with long battery life and good health stuff. Life is too short to be constantly charging a watch

What tipped me over was a chat with a good good friend who told me he’d been in hospital 8 times v recently. Horrible health scare. But should be ok

Why am I twatting about if these gizmos are good for your health?

Of course now I’ve bought one I’ve become aware of them and I’ve noticed about 30% of people (at Gatwick) seem to be wearing some kind of smart watch
    Apple Watches will save your life.

https://www.imore.com/health-fitness/apple-watch/5-times-an-apple-watch-saved-a-life-and-how-it-did-it
    From a quick read of that article, I think any Garmin with heart rate detection would do all of those.

Don't endanger people's lives by telling them these things are only available on Apple.

Edit: incidentally, we are going to see increasing amounts of wearable biometrics, and false positives notwithstanding, I think that's an excellent thing. Regardless of the provider.
    Private docs in the U.K. are starting to asks for data from such devices. My NHS GP looked horrified when I asked him if he used such data.
    Does the NHS have wrist watch technology yet?
    You can export the data in all kinds of ways - often as Excel spreadsheets.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,364

Harris is getting a huge historic lead in white college graduates in the latest polling:

Clinton achieved +5% margin
    Biden achieved +9% margin
    Harris has a poll showing +18% margin

Biggest margin ever recorded.

(Source CNN)

Trump still massively ahead with white non graduates though and doing better with Latinos and as well with Blacks as he did in 2020
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,961

Leon said:

Leon said:

Including flights and accommodation I might just have crept over my £400 Geneva budget

I wanted the one with long battery life and good health stuff. Life is too short to be constantly charging a watch

What tipped me over was a chat with a good good friend who told me he’d been in hospital 8 times v recently. Horrible health scare. But should be ok

Of course now I’ve bought one I’ve become aware of them and I’ve noticed about 30% of people (at Gatwick) seem to be wearing some kind of smart watch

https://www.imore.com/health-fitness/apple-watch/5-times-an-apple-watch-saved-a-life-and-how-it-did-it
    From a quick read of that article, I think any Garmin with heart rate detection would do all of those.

Don't endanger people's lives by telling them these things are only available on Apple.

Edit: incidentally, we are going to see increasing amounts of wearable biometrics, and false positives notwithstanding, I think that's an excellent thing. Regardless of the provider.
    Private docs in the U.K. are starting to asks for data from such devices. My NHS GP looked horrified when I asked him if he used such data.
    I think this is likely to be similar to the attitudes around rapid lateral flow tests and covid. There was a lot of disquiet because 'they might not be that accurate' but in hind sight use of millions of the things gave some advantage over not using at all.
    These watch based ones may not be as perfect as a hospital measurement, but will probably give useful data, assuming you can persuade the medic to use it.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,157

Scotland's population rising at fastest rate since 1940s
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cn4z83yndldo

Everyone's moving to Scotland for free prescriptions.

Scotland remains massively underpopulated.
    1901: Scotland 4.47 m England 30 m
    2022: Scotland 5.3 m England 57 m
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,364
    Sandpit said:

Forget polls, we have real numbers of early votes cast in Pennsylvania.

Pennsylvania early voting returns data: as of today

Democratic registered: 73.3% 100,845
    Republican registered: 19.0% 26,148
    Other 7.7% 10,661

added since 4th October

Democratic registered: 35,610
    Republican registered: 8,806
    Other 3,640

Assuming people are voting broadly along the lines they registered, then either

a) Trump is having very little success in moving his voters to coming out ahead of 5th November

or

b) Harris has some mighty momentum.

Bear in mind some of those registered Republicans might well be Haley voters lending their vote to Harris. Haley got 16% of the vote in the Republican primary six weeks AFTER she had withdrawn her candidature.

What we really need, is a comparison of those numbers with the same point in the 2020 election, when Trump was actively encouraging voters to vote in person on the day.

There’s definitely a very active GOP registration and early voting operation going on in PA, for example:
    https://x.com/scottpresler/status/1843670921615446288
    In 2020 Trump was miles ahead in on the day votes while Biden won early voting
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,213
    HYUFD said:

Nothing inevitable about this at all, I am a Tugendhat supporter who now backs Jenrick for starters

Just so long as no one has to have him for main course and dessert.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,213
    Andy_JS said:

‪Sam Freedman‬ ‪@samfr.bsky.social‬
    ·
    33m
    A tremendous opportunity to get rid of the odious Jenrick before the members get to choose.

Which would then leave the ideal battle between Badenoch (excellent comedy value) and Cleverly (me winning money).

https://bsky.app/profile/samfr.bsky.social/post/3l5z2ctqsrl25

Feel I ought to know who Sam Freedman is but don't.
    I keep thinking he's a hobbit. He isn't (they are fictional) but it pleases me to think so.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,630

Harris is getting a huge historic lead in white college graduates in the latest polling:

(Source CNN)

I'm seeing many times more pro-Trump/anti-Harris stuff on Twix than I am anti-Trump/pro-Harris. This is despite me being more on the pro-Harris side.

It'll be interesting to see if this election is a case of those who make the most noise, having least effect. Or if the noise matters.
    My impression is that the more mainstream media sources on Twitter are pro-Harris, while the more alternative media is pro-Trump, and the latter are all amplifying each other.

How indicative that is of what’s happening on the ground, I guess we’ll find out in 30 days or so.
  • DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 688
    kyf_100 said:

I still have my grandfather's watch, and while it's worthless, it tells the time well enough. It will be ticking along long after I am dead. There is something romantic about time and timelessness, which watches provide, while smart watches - dead or obsolete in a few years - do not. I'm in love with the romance of watches, which makes me just as odd as a MAMIL obsessed with his step count. But I find no romance in smart watches, which are disposable bits of kit, as opposed to marvels of mechanical engineering or heirlooms to be passed from father to son.

As I say, nothing wrong with smart watches - they're just not for me.

I wanted to get into high end watches, but it became very quickly clear that they were essentially jewellery - even ones with a gazillion complications weren't *really* about the movement and mechanical intricacy. So I gave up.

To me, a plain and simple automatic, made by someone you've never heard of like you describe is far better and hits the sweet spot.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,714
    Maybe it doesn't go to membership?

If 2nd and 3rd tie it seems there would be another vote but if tied again then...

@sundersays and @andrew_lilico seem to think in past the rule was if tied on 2nd ballot run then both out!!
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,563

Andy_JS said:

"I refurbished Downing Street flat because it looked like crack den, claims Boris Johnson"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/10/08/boris-johnson-downing-street-crack-den-refurbishment/

Poor Theresa May.
    Yep there are several things she can be criticised for (eg being stubborn), but she seems a genuine person and that seems uncalled for and from what I recall wasn't it John Lewis stuff she liked. I might be a little out of touch with these things, but I'm not aware that John Lewis went for the Crack house look.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,483
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

If you are of a certain mindset, you might find yourself getting a little obsessed with metrics. "I must beat my step count!!!" is a beginners=level one. :)

Enjoy Geneva.

These things are amazeybollox

It’s like having a little genie tugging at your arm. “Don’t miss your flight!”
    Did you miss many flights without it?
    I find people who actually enjoy being buzzed by constant notifications very weird - my phone is permanently on silent - and even weirder when people enjoy constant notifications on the wrist.

Sort of like how it suddenly became acceptable to use your phone at the dinner table in the late 2000s. The idea that you're less present and in the moment and more attached to the tech that's telling you what to do or how to behave.

If I live to be 180, I will still never own a "smart" watch. My watch tells the time. Nothing more, nothing less.
    And if that works for you, cool.

Alerts are configurable. Just about everything on such watches (Garmin, Apple or whatever...) is configurable. Mrs J has her watch much more tightly tied down (not linked to any other accounts) than I have.
    Oh, I get it. Leon absolutely nails it when he says smart watches are for centrist dads. They are for MAMIL types who obsess over their step count, or how much REM sleep they got last night. People who will bore you about their gore-tex clobber they bought for their latest hike across the peaks. They have a catchment, and more power to the people who enjoy them. Nothing wrong with being a MAMIL who's into gore-tex. Many of my friends are. But I prefer a life without being buzzed, or tracked.

I was thinking about the Tory guy who was wearing a rolex in the winter fuel allowance video the other day. Datejusts were de rigeur for men in their 30s/40s in the 80s, which is why they are such an old man watch now. There are photos of datejusts with their early 80s price tags still attached - about £600. But a watch like that will travel through time with you, and be something you can pass along to your children - while during the same number of years, between eight and twenty iterations of the Apple SmartWatch will be thrown on a landfill somewhere. They are, to me, distinctly mid.

I still have my grandfather's watch, and while it's worthless, it tells the time well enough. It will be ticking along long after I am dead. There is something romantic about time and timelessness, which watches provide, while smart watches - dead or obsolete in a few years - do not. I'm in love with the romance of watches, which makes me just as odd as a MAMIL obsessed with his step count. But I find no romance in smart watches, which are disposable bits of kit, as opposed to marvels of mechanical engineering or heirlooms to be passed from father to son.

The sentiment is fine but I think it is a category error.

A smartwatch isn't really a watch. It might pretend to be one but that's not the point of it.

Just like a smartphone isn't really a phone, or at least, isn't primarily used for talking to people.

CatMan said:

Andy_JS said:

"I refurbished Downing Street flat because it looked like crack den, claims Boris Johnson"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/10/08/boris-johnson-downing-street-crack-den-refurbishment/

Johnson is such an inveterate slob that it was doubtless him that made it that way.
    Does he actually think people will believe him?
    Probably.

We've all believed all sorts of rubbish he's said in the past.
    I would like to exempt myself from the collective. Boris Johnson is the type of person that if he said "my word is my bond" you would need to get a lawyer to check the veracity of said bond.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,746

kyf_100 said:

I wanted to get into high end watches, but it became very quickly clear that they were essentially jewellery - even ones with a gazillion complications weren't *really* about the movement and mechanical intricacy. So I gave up.

To me, a plain and simple automatic, made by someone you've never heard of like you describe is far better and hits the sweet spot.
    Absolutely - they are just jewellery. I have a couple of very nice Swiss watches that come out on special occasions, but the sweet spot for me is a mid range mechanical automatic Seiko or Orient, two hundred quid max. A Junghans from the '50s will probably set you back... about £50. Anything above that price range is status signalling.

I like the idea that I can wear my granddad's watch when I feel like it and it will remind me of him. It does nothing other than tell the time. Which means it won't go obsolete, and it will travel through time with me, and to whoever I pass it on to. To me, that's the beauty of watch ownership - not the most expensive bauble, but the nicest story.

edited October 8
    nico679 said:

Sandpit said:

Other 7.7% 10,661

added since 4th October

Other 3,640

a) Trump is having very little success in moving his voters to coming out ahead of 5th November

or

Bear in mind some of those registered Republicans might well be Haley voters lending their vote to Harris. Haley got 16% of the vote in the Republican primary six weeks AFTER she had withdrawn her candidature.

What we really need, is a comparison of those numbers with the same point in the 2020 election, when Trump was actively encouraging voters to vote in person on the day.

There’s definitely a very active GOP registration and early voting operation going on in PA, for example:
    https://x.com/scottpresler/status/1843670921615446288
    Here’s a great link .

https://targetearly.targetsmart.com/
    Bookmarked that, thanks. Loads of useful data.

Annoyingly I can’t get it to give me the one stat I’m looking for, which is the 2024 vs 2020 early vote numbers by registered party, by State.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,959
    edited October 8
    Found the total Pennsylvania early voting numbers for 2020:

Democrats 1,702,484 64.7% 1,941,131 requested 87.7% returned
    Republicans 623,404 23.7% 784,851 requested 79.4% returned

Minor 20,111 0.8% 25,367 requested 79.3% returned
    No Party Affiliation 283,673 10.8% 336,175 requested 84.4% returned

TOTAL 2,629,672 100.0% 3,087,524 requested 85.25% returned

So in 2020, far more Democrats requested an early/mail in vote than did Republicans - 64.7% to 23.7%. 8% more Democrats returned their vote than Republicans.

Democrats still look to be running somewhat ahead of 2020 so far.
    kjh said:

Andy_JS said:

Poor Theresa May.
    Yep there are several things she can be criticised for (eg being stubborn), but she seems a genuine person and that seems uncalled for and from what I recall wasn't it John Lewis stuff she liked. I might be a little out of touch with these things, but I'm not aware that John Lewis went for the Crack house look.
    Thanks for your note and apols if I was a bit over the top in my sarcasm earlier. I won't try and justify or excuse. Mea culpe.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,700

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

If you are of a certain mindset, you might find yourself getting a little obsessed with metrics. "I must beat my step count!!!" is a beginners=level one. :)

Enjoy Geneva.

I find people who actually enjoy being buzzed by constant notifications very weird - my phone is permanently on silent - and even weirder when people enjoy constant notifications on the wrist.

Sort of like how it suddenly became acceptable to use your phone at the dinner table in the late 2000s. The idea that you're less present and in the moment and more attached to the tech that's telling you what to do or how to behave.

If I live to be 180, I will still never own a "smart" watch. My watch tells the time. Nothing more, nothing less.

Alerts are configurable. Just about everything on such watches (Garmin, Apple or whatever...) is configurable. Mrs J has her watch much more tightly tied down (not linked to any other accounts) than I have.
    Oh, I get it. Leon absolutely nails it when he says smart watches are for centrist dads. They are for MAMIL types who obsess over their step count, or how much REM sleep they got last night. People who will bore you about their gore-tex clobber they bought for their latest hike across the peaks. They have a catchment, and more power to the people who enjoy them. Nothing wrong with being a MAMIL who's into gore-tex. Many of my friends are. But I prefer a life without being buzzed, or tracked.

I was thinking about the Tory guy who was wearing a rolex in the winter fuel allowance video the other day. Datejusts were de rigeur for men in their 30s/40s in the 80s, which is why they are such an old man watch now. There are photos of datejusts with their early 80s price tags still attached - about £600. But a watch like that will travel through time with you, and be something you can pass along to your children - while during the same number of years, between eight and twenty iterations of the Apple SmartWatch will be thrown on a landfill somewhere. They are, to me, distinctly mid.

A smartwatch isn't really a watch. It might pretend to be one but that's not the point of it.

Just like a smartphone isn't really a phone, or at least, isn't primarily used for talking to people.

Indeed. Combined with the Outdoor Active app, the Apple Watch Ultra can display OS Maps in high-res on its screen (and the equivalent topo maps from dozens of other countries). No more grabbing your phone to navigate while hiking, it's right there on the watch. And the compass and altimeter that drives the mapping is awesome. This is the best feature of the watch and has transformed my hikes.

None of this is anything to do with telling the time or being a piece of jewellery/heirloom.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,337

what are the rules if there's a tie break for 2nd?

I believe that's when the pistol duel happens.

Cookie said:

Good afternoon from the Aberystwyth to Holyhead train

Really pleased and hope Cleverly wins

Wait - there's a train from Aberystwyth to Holyhead?
    Yes with change at Shrewsbury shortly
    Be careful at Shrewsbury station, the kids from the local school are feral.
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Absolutely - they are just jewellery. I have a couple of very nice Swiss watches that come out on special occasions, but the sweet spot for me is a mid range mechanical automatic Seiko or Orient, two hundred quid max. A Junghans from the '50s will probably set you back... about £50. Anything above that price range is status signalling.

I like the idea that I can wear my granddad's watch when I feel like it and it will remind me of him. It does nothing other than tell the time. Which means it won't go obsolete, and it will travel through time with me, and to whoever I pass it on to. To me, that's the beauty of watch ownership - not the most expensive bauble, but the nicest story.

I guess I was pretty similar. I used to have an analogue self winder with date and day because I could never remember either. Never particularly expensive. I then got to the point where I couldn't read the day/date and gave up on a watch altogether. I haven't worn one for decades. I rarely need to know the time and when I do I have my phone.
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Does the NHS have wrist watch technology yet?
    That's just a wind-up, isn't it? :)
    The NHS is not up to speed with TikTok
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,973

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Enjoy Geneva.

I have a smartphone which I use as a tablet. Didn't want a tablet-sized tablet. Never made a phone call on it, never will.

Good evening, everybody.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,325

Andy_JS said:

Did Jenrick blow it with a conference speech that was too right-wing? Didn't watch it myself.

And his character. He'd offer nothing but bombast and questionable ethics.
    I don't find Jenrick particularly bombastic? He seems very measured to me.

I'm quite puzzled by your overall attitude to be honest. You spend half your time on PB between anger and grief at the wokification, leftification, and economic basket-casification of the UK, and when given the chance to do something about it you choose...

...Jimmy Dimly. Favoured candidate of civil servants and centrist dads the country over. It's like you're smacking yourself in the face as hard as possible with a plank of wood.

Ah well.
    I'm not a dogmatist nor a fanatic and my views are nuanced; I don't fall into a simple set of labels.

Jenrick, for me, is both ethically compromised and full of it.

The Conservative Party would continue rotting from the head if he were elected leader, and that's a key reason we just lost office.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,204

If 2nd and 3rd tie it seems there would be another vote but if tied again then...

@sundersays and @andrew_lilico seem to think in past the rule was if tied on 2nd ballot run then both out!!

Didn't that happen in the noughties? Michael Ancram and someone?
    Leon said:

Now you need to buy the Garmin Index scale.

Sorry, didn't we tell you about that? It's a Wifi connected scale that measures body fat, skeletal muscle mass and more.

Without the scale, the watch is practically worthless.

kjh said:

Andy_JS said:

Poor Theresa May.
    Thanks for your note and apols if I was a bit over the top in my sarcasm earlier. I won't try and justify or excuse. Mea culpe.
    @Nigel_Foremain That is extremely kind of you Nigel. Much appreciated.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 8,074

Eabhal said:

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Enjoy Geneva.

The ridicule that MAMILs (and now smartwatch wearers) receive is, I suspect, a distinctly British phenomenon and comes from a inferiority complex when it comes to exercise and looking after your body.

If the NHS is to survive, we need many more people like Leon to get smartwatches and don the padded shorts, to buy the fancy storm jacket and head into the Peak District. Nothing better than seeing a bunch of overweight boomers desperately trying to make it over the Bealach na Ba.
    The ridicule is against the notion of trying. And also having domain knowledge about a sport or activity.
    Yes, that's probably more accurate.

Leon said:

Leon said:

I think this is likely to be similar to the attitudes around rapid lateral flow tests and covid. There was a lot of disquiet because 'they might not be that accurate' but in hind sight use of millions of the things gave some advantage over not using at all.
    These watch based ones may not be as perfect as a hospital measurement, but will probably give useful data, assuming you can persuade the medic to use it.
    Apple have actually spent a lot of time and money getting a number of their watch features FDA approved in the US, with similar approvals in other large markets to follow.
  • ScarpiaScarpia Posts: 61

Barnesian said:

(Source CNN)

I'm seeing many times more pro-Trump/anti-Harris stuff on Twix than I am anti-Trump/pro-Harris. This is despite me being more on the pro-Harris side.

It'll be interesting to see if this election is a case of those who make the most noise, having least effect. Or if the noise matters.
    What is Twix? Googled it and got chocolate.
    Twitter + X

I use it as it (in my mind, at least...) shows contempt for Musk's name change of the service.

Incidentally, Aus did not fall for that.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/10/x-loses-appeal-of-400k-australia-child-safety-fine-now-faces-more-fines/
    Why didn't he call it Xitter - pronounced with a soft X?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,832

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Enjoy Geneva.

Indeed. Combined with the Outdoor Active app, the Apple Watch Ultra can display OS Maps in high-res on its screen (and the equivalent topo maps from dozens of other countries). No more grabbing your phone to navigate while hiking, it's right there on the watch. And the compass and altimeter that drives the mapping is awesome. This is the best feature of the watch and has transformed my hikes.

None of this is anything to do with telling the time or being a piece of jewellery/heirloom.
    Yes. You don’t fall in love with any particular device - you fall in love with the conceptual tech underlying it

Eg I remember my first iPad which I got as soon as the iPads came out. Omfg it was magic. A crystal tablet made of miracles, a book of hours and light

I still have that original iPad 1 somewhere. It has zero sentimental value as a singular object. But I still LOVE the concept of the iPad and I have the latest iPad Pro and use it all the time with great pleasure
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,727
    edited October 8

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Enjoy Geneva.

For those of us who wear them all the time anyway, true smart glasses with a heads up display, but which cannot be told apart from normal glasses, will be the game changer.

(Source CNN)

That's because TwiX prioritizes engagement, and you are more likely to engage with (i.e. respond to) things you disagree with.

It's why I see Marjory Taylor Green stuff all the time.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,696
    Cookie said:

Didn't that happen in the noughties? Michael Ancram and someone?
    Ancram and DD.

There was nothing in the rules about ties (except that gentlemen wore them), so the workround was that they both went through to round two and would have both been eliminated in the event of a tie. In the event, Ancram got the wooden spoon and Davis withdrew because he was way behind the top three.

That kludge won't work now. It's the kind of thing Gilbert and Sullivan would base one of their musical entertainments on. It turns out that one of them is a ghost born on February 29th and is therefore ineligible, or something. And they all get married in the final number.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,462

Andy_JS said:

Poor Theresa May.
    Yes. Typical Johnson. Straining to be 'colourful' manifesting as crass and offensive. I'm so glad he's chip paper.
    Cookie said:

Eabhal said:

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Enjoy Geneva.

The ridicule that MAMILs (and now smartwatch wearers) receive is, I suspect, a distinctly British phenomenon and comes from a inferiority complex when it comes to exercise and looking after your body.

If the NHS is to survive, we need many more people like Leon to get smartwatches and don the padded shorts, to buy the fancy storm jacket and head into the Peak District. Nothing better than seeing a bunch of overweight boomers desperately trying to make it over the Bealach na Ba.
    The ridicule is not the exercise but the obsession with kit. I get just as much exercise on my £700 touring bike and my shorts and t-shirts as my mate on his £10000 bike and £1000+ of kit and accessories gets. And we don't have to stop when my tech goes wrong because I don't have any.
    Expensive sportswear is a bit daft, I agree, which is why I don't buy it.

But smartwatches are awesome for training, and for life generally. The Wallet function is superb for example – cash and tickets right there on your watch, no need to faff about –  and I have already outlining their awesome mapping features.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,223

Andy_JS said:

Poor Theresa May.
    Hang on, the timing is all wrong, it was Rishi who admitted to having a Mexican coke habit.
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,422

viewcode said:

Eabhal said:

Scotland's population rising at fastest rate since 1940s
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cn4z83yndldo

Everyone's moving to Scotland for free prescriptions.

Fleeing the fires and flooding in England.
    Well it is uphill from England, so less likely to flood... :):):)
    Its an old one, but my dad always refers to driving north as going uphill. Drives me mad!
    If my dad was driving along a hilly or mountain road, he would say "we're up a depth now".
  • rcs1000 said:

(Source CNN)

That's because TwiX prioritizes engagement, and you are more likely to engage with (i.e. respond to) things you disagree with.

Yes, soon as I switch from following to for you I get all kinds of stuff that is deliberately designed to get me enraged and engaged.
    kjh said:

Andy_JS said:

Poor Theresa May.
    It's simply the odious Johnson being needlessly impolite and unkind to seek attention. The guy is a nasty little twit.
    rcs1000 said:

(Source CNN)

It's hard to engage with it where everything you see pisses you off to the point you don't use the service any more. Haven't logged on to Twitter since Jan. Don't miss it.
    Sandpit said:

(Source CNN)

My impression is that the more mainstream media sources on Twitter are pro-Harris, while the more alternative media is pro-Trump, and the latter are all amplifying each other.

How indicative that is of what’s happening on the ground, I guess we’ll find out in 30 days or so.
    That's true. Although "alternative media" is a bit of a euphemism for what it seeks to describe.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,832
    I don’t care if I look like a pathetic PB centrist dad with my stupid Garmin smartwatch

I just want to die later rather than earlier, and it seems that these might help

Also I’m wearing it on my right wrist rather than my left despite being right handed so I’m still a cool rebel
  • Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Enjoy Geneva.

Yes. You don’t fall in love with any particular device - you fall in love with the conceptual tech underlying it

Eg I remember my first iPad which I got as soon as the iPads came out. Omfg it was magic. A crystal tablet made of miracles, a book of hours and light

I still have that original iPad 1 somewhere. It has zero sentimental value as a singular object. But I still LOVE the concept of the iPad and I have the latest iPad Pro and use it all the time with great pleasure
    In a different guise many moons ago we were both the first users of iPads on this dear site... I got my iPad sent from the US before it got released...
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,776
    Leon said:

I don’t care if I look like a pathetic PB centrist dad with my stupid Garmin smartwatch

I just want to die later rather than earlier, and it seems that these might help

Also I’m wearing it on my right wrist rather than my left despite being right handed so I’m still a cool rebel

I've always worn my watches on my right hand.

You have made me re-evaluate my life choices.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 22,013
    edited October 8
    Looks like it's all falling apart for Bobby J, lol!
    Next year’s Champions Trophy final could be switched from Lahore to Dubai if India qualify, creating the possibility that there will be no certainty over the venue until days before the final.

The Champions Trophy, which runs from Feb 19 to March 9, is being staged in Pakistan, with venues for all 15 games officially confirmed. The International Cricket Council is proceeding with plans for the tournament on this basis, with no board discussions yet about switching any portion of the competition.

But India have not played an international match in Pakistan since 2008. There is as yet no indication that the Indian government will relax its ban on touring Pakistan. As previously reported, there is a strong possibility that the ICC will ultimately find a different venue for India’s matches – including, if they advance that far, the final itself.

The final, on March 9, has been awarded to Lahore. But Telegraph Sport understands that alternative options are being informally considered in case India reach the final, with Dubai likely to be the new venue.

This scenario opens up the extraordinary possibility that the venue for the final will not be known until March 6, just three days before the match, depending on whether India qualify. Until then, two grounds would have to prepare to stage the final, with competing teams and match officials, media and fans alike unsure of the venue.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2024/10/08/champions-trophy-final-switch-india-pakistan/

Next year’s Champions Trophy final could be switched from Lahore to Dubai if India qualify, creating the possibility that there will be no certainty over the venue until days before the final.

The Champions Trophy, which runs from Feb 19 to March 9, is being staged in Pakistan, with venues for all 15 games officially confirmed. The International Cricket Council is proceeding with plans for the tournament on this basis, with no board discussions yet about switching any portion of the competition.

But India have not played an international match in Pakistan since 2008. There is as yet no indication that the Indian government will relax its ban on touring Pakistan. As previously reported, there is a strong possibility that the ICC will ultimately find a different venue for India’s matches – including, if they advance that far, the final itself.

The final, on March 9, has been awarded to Lahore. But Telegraph Sport understands that alternative options are being informally considered in case India reach the final, with Dubai likely to be the new venue.

This scenario opens up the extraordinary possibility that the venue for the final will not be known until March 6, just three days before the match, depending on whether India qualify. Until then, two grounds would have to prepare to stage the final, with competing teams and match officials, media and fans alike unsure of the venue.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2024/10/08/champions-trophy-final-switch-india-pakistan/

Ooh, yes please!!!! 🏏
    Squawk Box

@SquawkCNBC
    ·
    5h
    @VP is "taking pages out of the Republican playbook," says @FrankLuntz

"She actually sounds like a moderate Republican. So the challenge for the Trump campaign is to stop with these incessant character attacks and challenge her on the specific issues."

https://x.com/SquawkCNBC/status/1843607948150333529

Adam Carlson
    @admcrlsn
    All 7 swing states are within 2 pts in ~every major polling avg

The avg absolute polling error in swing states in the last 5 pres. elections has been 2.6 pts

Avg polling error (circle = overall bias direction)
    🟣 2004: 1.5 pts
    🔴 2008: 2.9
    🔴 2012: 2.7
    🔵 2016: 2.9
    🔵 2020: 3.0

https://x.com/admcrlsn/status/1843338599900819909
    So within a few weeks the Tories could be potentially led by either

1) Their second non white leader

and/or

2) Their fourth woman leader

whilst Labour only elect pale, stale, white men.
    Scarpia said:

Barnesian said:

(Source CNN)

What is Twix? Googled it and got chocolate.
    Twitter + X

I use it as it (in my mind, at least...) shows contempt for Musk's name change of the service.

Incidentally, Aus did not fall for that.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2024/10/x-loses-appeal-of-400k-australia-child-safety-fine-now-faces-more-fines/
    Why didn't he call it Xitter - pronounced with a soft X?
    Because he’s always been obsessed by ‘X’ as a concept, and bought the domain x.com about 30 years ago. When the domain ended up with PayPal, after his company was acquired by them, he paid $100k to buy it back.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,452
    I have said for a long time that Cleverly is the Tories' best option. It seems very, very obvious to me. So what is the case against him? There must be one.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,162

Leon said:

I am now picturing TSE in a rubber suit and cape (with red trainers).
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,248
    TFW announced that the delay in the Holyhrad train from Shrewsbury is because too many trains needed repair

I am not joking
    Leon said:

If someone told me I only had three months to live I'd slip a fifty in their breast pocket and tell them to make it one month. It's been that kinda year.

But seriously. Look at your troubles with your mum. My family tend to be similarly long lived, and their final years aren't nice. You really wanna live that long?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 22,013
    Kemi beats everyone with the members, so if MP's put her through tomorrow ahead of Bobby J, Kemi will be LOTO as I predicted around three month ago haha! 😂
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I am now picturing TSE in a rubber suit and cape (with red trainers).
    I have never worn rubber in my life and I never will.

Like an episode of Friends a female friend wore leather one night and well I had to cut her out of it.
    edited October 8
    Smart watches, I don't have one (or any watch) but my son and his g/f do and - get this - they have them paired up with a two way "walkie talkie" facility. So at any time one of them can just raise their wrist and go, "Hey, babe, how's it going?"

I have said for a long time that Cleverly is the Tories' best option. It seems very, very obvious to me. So what is the case against him? There must be one.

He's the male Penny Mordaunt.

Affable and will get people laughing but a bit of a lightweight.

He's not the brightest.
    kinabalu said:

He's not the brightest.
    He'll be a centrist plodder when they need to roll the dice is a case against him I guess.

Adam Carlson
    @admcrlsn
    All 7 swing states are within 2 pts in ~every major polling avg

The avg absolute polling error in swing states in the last 5 pres. elections has been 2.6 pts

Avg polling error (circle = overall bias direction)
    🟣 2004: 1.5 pts
    🔴 2008: 2.9
    🔴 2012: 2.7
    🔵 2016: 2.9
    🔵 2020: 3.0

https://x.com/admcrlsn/status/1843338599900819909

It's why Nate Silver thinks that the two most likely scenarios are (a) Harris sweeps the swing states and (b) Trump does.

And it's hard to disagree.
    GIN1138 said:

Kemi beats everyone with the members, so if MP's put her through tomorrow ahead of Bobby J, Kemi will be LOTO as I predicted around three month ago haha! 😂

If doing a lot of lifting there.

I hope we use our Brexit freedoms to allow the Cybertruck on UK roads.

The Tesla Cybertruck is too big and too dangerous for European roads, transport campaigners have warned.

There is confusion about whether the Cybertruck could be driven in Europe because of strict road safety rules. These ban sharp edges and require speed limiters on vehicles that weigh more than 3.5 tonnes.

Tesla says the vehicle weighs four tonnes, compared with about two tonnes for normal family cars. In a letter to the European Commission campaign groups called for Cybertrucks to be removed from public roads.

https://www.thetimes.com/world/europe/article/tesla-cybertruck-too-dangerous-for-europes-roads-say-campaigners-cdkvd2c0c
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,869
    Here are some more recent numbers from Pennsylvania: https://election.lab.ufl.edu/early-vote/2024-early-voting/2024-general-election-early-vote-pennsylvania/

Thanks to MarqueeMark for bringing these to my attention.
    rcs1000 said:

(Source CNN)

The algo seems to have changed massively in the last couple of days, though.

Until then my "for you" feed was pretty useful.
    All of a sudden, it's a mix of 90% shit and right wing trolls with production related stuff.
    I'd not changed anything.

It's as though Musk is using it as a campaign tool.

and/or

Unless you count Harperson or Ma Beckett.
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

If someone told me I only had three months to live I'd slip a fifty in their breast pocket and tell them to make it one month. It's been that kinda year.

But seriously. Look at your troubles with your mum. My family tend to be similarly long lived, and their final years aren't nice. You really wanna live that long?
    Maybe I just want to fly
    Want to live, I don't want to die

and/or

Unless you count Harperson or Ma Beckett.
    They were never elected leader.

kinabalu said:

He's not the brightest.
    He'll be a centrist plodder when they need to roll the dice is a case against him I guess.
    Although I can tell you for a fact that Labour want Badenoch. But who knows who the best choice is. Whoever gets it could surprise in either direction and the next GE is ages away.
    kinabalu said:

He's not the brightest.
    Since when was that a political impediment ?

Here are some more recent numbers from Pennsylvania: https://election.lab.ufl.edu/early-vote/2024-early-voting/2024-general-election-early-vote-pennsylvania/

Thanks to MarqueeMark for bringing these to my attention.

I find the partisan split over early voting just bizarre.

Obviously Trump telling his cult not to do it for years is a factor. But must be more than that?

Dems are more time organized? Dems hate queuing on the day? GOP don't trust the mail as much as Dems? GOP feel it is more 'real' to do in person?

Just a head scratcher.
    edited October 8

The Tesla Cybertruck is too big and too dangerous for European roads, transport campaigners have warned.

There is confusion about whether the Cybertruck could be driven in Europe because of strict road safety rules. These ban sharp edges and require speed limiters on vehicles that weigh more than 3.5 tonnes.

Tesla says the vehicle weighs four tonnes, compared with about two tonnes for normal family cars. In a letter to the European Commission campaign groups called for Cybertrucks to be removed from public roads.

https://www.thetimes.com/world/europe/article/tesla-cybertruck-too-dangerous-for-europes-roads-say-campaigners-cdkvd2c0c

The American EV trucks are all so heavy you can’t drive them on a post-1996 car licence in the UK. The top spec Hummer EV is 9,000lb, four tonnes, empty. US safety rules on ‘light trucks’ are very different to those on cars, especialy with regard to things like pedestrian safety.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,869
    In the past, political scientists found that Democratic votes followed a "J curve" by education; those with the least education voted heavily for Democrats, as did those with the most. Haven't checked recently to see if that is still true.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,696

kinabalu said:

He's not the brightest.
    He's not that centrist. He backed Brexit, Boris and Truss before (and after) it was strictly necessary.

https://conservativehome.com/2024/10/07/david-gauke-there-is-no-inevitability-about-this-race-but-cleverly-is-now-the-frontrunner/

As with Sunak, the fact that he's now seen as a centrist says more about the Conservative Party than it does about Cleverly.

But he's not Jenrick (tawdry) or Badenoch (very likely to start an unnecessary fight by saying something she doesn't entirely mean). "Best of a bad bunch" strikes again.
    Sandpit said:

The American EV trucks are all so heavy you can’t drive them on a post-1996 car licence in the UK. The top spec Hummer EV is 9,000lb, four tonnes, empty.
    I got my licence in 1995
  • MattWMattW Posts: 22,063

Nope.

It's a dangerous abortion of a design and it 1000 of them need to be rammed up Elon Muck's anal passage.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,687
    edited October 8
    rcs1000 said:

(Source CNN)

That's the way it's supposed to work. But I don't engage with much; not tweeting, retweeting, or liking much, or even clicking on many links from my main account.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 8,074
    MattW said:

Nope.

It's a dangerous abortion of a design and it 1000 of them need to be rammed up Elon Muck's anal passage.
    It would be a quick death, at least, with those sharp edges. Not like a usual SUV where you get crushed underneath.

Sandpit said:

The American EV trucks are all so heavy you can’t drive them on a post-1996 car licence in the UK. The top spec Hummer EV is 9,000lb, four tonnes, empty.
    I got my licence in 1995
    Same here, we are the last of the lucky ones who can drive a 7.5t truck without needing to do a test in one. I’ve only ever done it once, to move house when I couldn’t afford the movers.
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Enjoy Geneva.

That's quite an entertaining rant, except for the fact you can use these watches as just watches to tell the time, with no tracking, stepcounts etc. from memory, on Garmin at least, you need to enable much of this stuff. (Apple may be different).

And before you say that you're paying a lot for 'just a watch'; just look at Rolex et al.
  • Nunu3Nunu3 Posts: 215

Other 7.7% 10,661

added since 4th October

Other 3,640

or

its simply vote method preference
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,959
    Nunu3 said:

Other 7.7% 10,661

added since 4th October

Other 3,640

or

its simply vote method preference
    But it is interesting to note that Trump appears to have had no traction with asking his supporters to vote early. Worse than 2020.
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I got my licence in 1995
    Same here, we are the last of the lucky ones who can drive a 7.5t truck without needing to do a test in one. I’ve only ever done it once, to move house when I couldn’t afford the movers.
    Heaviest vehicle I've driven is a Hummer.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 22,063
    Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Nope.

It would be a quick death, at least, with those sharp edges. Not like a usual SUV where you get crushed underneath.
    Then he'll get a Golden Darwin Award as well.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,204

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Enjoy Geneva.

That's quite an entertaining rant, except for the fact you can use these watches as just watches to tell the time, with no tracking, stepcounts etc. from memory, on Garmin at least, you need to enable much of this stuff. (Apple may be different).

And before you say that you're paying a lot for 'just a watch'; just look at Rolex et al.
    Well yes but those two aren't the only choices. My £4 Chinese crappiece tells the time just as well as either.
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

He's not the brightest.
    Although I can tell you for a fact that Labour want Badenoch. But who knows who the best choice is. Whoever gets it could surprise in either direction and the next GE is ages away.
    I'm torn between Badenoch and Cleverly. Cleverly is on paper the best candidate (affable, non-alienating) - he will get a hearing, but it might be a hearing which concludes "Thanks, but still no." Badenoch could be awful (is she a capable manager/administrator/people handler? Maybe she is, but I've not seen much to convince me) or could be brilliant (in a reaches-the-parts-other-Tories-don't-reach way).
    Both seem to me preferable to Jenrick.
    Do you have a vote?
    Cookie said:

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Enjoy Geneva.

Well yes but those two aren't the only choices. My £4 Chinese crappiece tells the time just as well as either.
    And again, that's cool if it works for you.

But if (say) you were a runner, or a swimmer. or a triathlete, you might want some more functionality. In which case one of these sort of watches works for them.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,362
    Is there any permutation of final two where a candidate might drop out, avoiding the members vote? And what job might induce them to?
    carnforth said:

Is there any permutation of final two where a candidate might drop out, avoiding the members vote? And what job might induce them to?

Governor of the Chagos Islands
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,223
    edited October 8

Making jokes about date raping his wife doesn't exactly suggest good judgment. He also had the Stockton shithole thing. Loose cannon.
  • Cleverly into the last 2 is about the only certainty now in the Tory leadership..seems completely wide open and Betfair prices reflect that..🤔🤨