Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

After the beauty parade punters make Cleverly the coming man – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,114

PB Tories: Sir Keir must pay back the gifts.

Also PB Tories: Sir Keir should not have paid back the gifts.

Funny. Old. World.

He is hopeless and has just made it worse as the media are now asking why not the lot and Cabinet Ministers also had concert tickets and Starmer has seriously compromised them

You seem to console yourself with the PB Tories meme, but I doubt you can call Burley, Rigby, Peston and others as such

I expect many Labour voters are seriously disappointed in Starmer and one third regret their vote for him

Indeed Sunak's government is more popular than his

Funny. Old. World
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,970
    Cookie said:

eek said:

Leon said:

I think Starmer has somehow managed to make Griftgate even WORSE, and continued its presence in the news

Yep - he's now created a question that is going to be very hard to answer - Why are those freebies different from the other ones?
    Starmer's repeated his original error in taking freebies. He's done something legally correct but politically unwise.
    He has no political antenna , and next up Reeves, Rayner and others cabinet ministers

He has just made the story continue and Lord Alli being investigated for non disclosure of interests just adds to the turmoil at no 10
    Why has Reeves dyed her hair ginger? Is she trying to pretend she's Angela Rayner?

If a male politician had done this he would be ridiculed from here to his humiliating defeat at the next election. And rightly so.
    That's the wrong way round - I don't think it should be much of an issue for either.

Remember Obama's lovely tan suit. We want more of that.
    Cookie said:

eek said:

Leon said:

I think Starmer has somehow managed to make Griftgate even WORSE, and continued its presence in the news

Yep - he's now created a question that is going to be very hard to answer - Why are those freebies different from the other ones?
    Starmer's repeated his original error in taking freebies. He's done something legally correct but politically unwise.
    He has no political antenna , and next up Reeves, Rayner and others cabinet ministers

He has just made the story continue and Lord Alli being investigated for non disclosure of interests just adds to the turmoil at no 10
    Why has Reeves dyed her hair ginger? Is she trying to pretend she's Angela Rayner?

If a male politician had done this he would be ridiculed from here to his humiliating defeat at the next election. And rightly so.
    Trying to go incognito to avoid the embarrassing shambles that is Starmer?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,336

I watched all the tory candidates speeches this morning except Badenoch.

Just watching her now on catch-up.

I am even more convinced she is not ready for prime time and would be well advised not to do a Hague and to lose this one gracefully.

A few more years. One of the top shadow briefs. Then maybe the time will come.

But it is not now.

They would be mad not to elect Cleverly after today.

I'm not wholly convinced by this notion of Kemi Badenoch as the political equivalent of an exceptional raw talent in the club academy.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,380
    Taz said:

Why repay if nothing wrong has been done is what people may well think.

It just looks odd. It also prolongs the story.

It's a rat trap Keiry
    And you've been caught.
    Cookie said:

eek said:

From Robert Peston

On Starmer’s repayment of more than £6000 of gifts, these are all gifts he and his wife Victoria received since the election. His argument - which eluded me when listening to him just now in Brussels, but I have subsequently twigged - is that the ethics of receiving gifts are different for a PM who wants to restore confidence in politics than for a leader of the opposition. So on this version only post 4 July gifts need to be repaid, excluding the tickets at his beloved Arsenal - because going to the Emirates is ingrained in his life and it’s not his fault that for safety reasons he can’t sit in his normal seats. I am told however he doesn’t believe his ministerial colleagues need to repay their post-election freebies, including the Taylor Swift tickets, because (implicitly) they are lesser mortals: he leads, they don’t have to follow

https://x.com/Peston/status/1841526734266503638

SKS is trying to dance on the head of a pin and it ain't going to work...

Reminds me of the time I argued me receiving tickets to Super League Grand Final tickets really wasn't a benefit because I hate rugby league.
    That's actually a considerably more succinct and convincing argument than Sausages is trying to argue.
    "Sausages" - you're on fire!
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,130
    Stocky said:

David Davis is to support Badenoch.

https://x.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1841444586645852625

She's fucked then.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,182

Four identical cash 'jokes' on one page. Poor show.

The cash-obsessed PB weirdos are desperately in need of some new material.

We'll take "note"
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,674
    Evening all :)

The Conservatives polled 12.7 million or 47% of the votes cast in England in 2019. In July, Rishi Sunak's party got 6.3 million so roughly half so where did the 6.4 million voters who voted for Boris Johnson go?

The actual number of votes cast declined from 26.9 million to 24.3 million (the larger turnout drop disguised the increase in the number of registered voters).

Both Labour and the Liberal Democrats were also slightly down in the number of votes cast (700,000 in the case of Labour and 150,000 in the case of the latter). The Greens polled a million more votes and Reform 3.5 million than 2019. Another 470,000 or so more voted for other candidates than did so in 2019.

It's easy to forget churn and the British Election Study work will probably tease out a good deal more but we can probably say Reform and turnout were the biggest causes of the Conservative decline but there's a lot of other fascinating cross-party switching going on at the same time as well as the activities of one G.Reaper.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,694
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

eek said:

From Robert Peston

On Starmer’s repayment of more than £6000 of gifts, these are all gifts he and his wife Victoria received since the election. His argument - which eluded me when listening to him just now in Brussels, but I have subsequently twigged - is that the ethics of receiving gifts are different for a PM who wants to restore confidence in politics than for a leader of the opposition. So on this version only post 4 July gifts need to be repaid, excluding the tickets at his beloved Arsenal - because going to the Emirates is ingrained in his life and it’s not his fault that for safety reasons he can’t sit in his normal seats. I am told however he doesn’t believe his ministerial colleagues need to repay their post-election freebies, including the Taylor Swift tickets, because (implicitly) they are lesser mortals: he leads, they don’t have to follow

Reminds me of the time I argued me receiving tickets to Super League Grand Final tickets really wasn't a benefit because I hate rugby league.
    That's actually a considerably more succinct and convincing argument than Sausages is trying to argue.
    Starmer orders breakfast: "No sausages!"

• Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 681
    I went to a "Wales in MENA" function in Doha when World Cup was on - Mark Drakeford was there - as were various Welsh 'celebrities' - and also James Cleverly. I asked him outright why he was there - and he waffled on about HM Government supporting the 'Home Nations'... It was obvious he was there to chaperone the Drakester... I was about to challenge him on that when an embassy type intervened and whisked him away. He must have given him the secret signal.

My impression was that he was a waffling bullshitter but probably a safe pair of hands.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,182

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

eek said:

From Robert Peston

When Britain used to fight alongside the Arabs...
  • DopermeanDopermean Posts: 295
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

eek said:

I think I have a winner for stupidest person of the day.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/24626078.disqualified-darlington-driver-drove-home-court-ban/

Man arrested driving home from court where he had been given a driving ban...

What is the betting he is driving this time next year regardless? Decent odds on I would guess, not sure what the answer is for these types who just ignore the judgments, aside from the expensive option of jail. Would like to see extremely punitive fines as an option if they have any assets.
    Car gets scrapped, and any other vehicle they are found driving.
    But there is no one actually checking. We need a future crimes division which would know a banned driver who ignores bans is odds on to be driving illegally and checks them out from time to time. Or something.
    Apparently road traffic policing has been cut by about half since 2010. That's part of the reason why you have problems with crime like this, which can't be monitored with cameras/ANPR.

I also think that's why the number of slight injuries has fallen quite a bit more than fatal/serious injuries. The very high risk drivers (like this man) aren't being monitored closely enough.
    ANPR will show insurance / MOT / tax / registered keeper and registered keeper's driving details can be crosschecked.
    So the Police could routinely check easily.
    Note: if they're disqualified they're not insured and if they are the policyholder then named drivers might not be covered either.
    I got shunted on the motorway, got details from the passenger not the driver and luckily got the reg and a witness because they didn't contact their insurer. Later I twigged that the actual driver was probably uninsured / banned.

• AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,558

Funny. Old. World.

He is hopeless and has just made it worse as the media are now asking why not the lot and Cabinet Ministers also had concert tickets and Starmer has seriously compromised them

You seem to console yourself with the PB Tories meme, but I doubt you can call Burley, Rigby, Peston and others as such

I expect many Labour voters are seriously disappointed in Starmer and one third regret their vote for him

Funny. Old. World
    In the face of such biting invective from Big G, the bloke on the internet, Sir Keir will simply have to console himself with a bigger majority than any ever achieved by Clem Attlee, Harold Wilson - or any Conservative in history.

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World
    In the face of such biting invective from Big G, the bloke on the internet, Sir Keir will simply have to console himself with a bigger majority than any ever achieved by Clem Attlee, Harold Wilson - or any Conservative in history.
    A big majority did not save Johnson nor will it save Starmer
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,635

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World
    Stanley Baldwin waves from 1931.
  • MJWMJW Posts: 1,641
    kinabalu said:

I watched all the tory candidates speeches this morning except Badenoch.

Just watching her now on catch-up.

I am even more convinced she is not ready for prime time and would be well advised not to do a Hague and to lose this one gracefully.

A few more years. One of the top shadow briefs. Then maybe the time will come.

But it is not now.

They would be mad not to elect Cleverly after today.

I'm not wholly convinced by this notion of Kemi Badenoch as the political equivalent of an exceptional raw talent in the club academy.
    I'm not sure where the idea comes from she'll mature and become a savvier politician, as her main drawbacks - the fact she throws verbal bombs so often some inevitably explode in her face, an obsession with more esoteric issues, and Truss-esque paranoid theories, are not ones that go away with a few more years practice.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,575
    DavidL said:

Taz said:

Why repay if nothing wrong has been done is what people may well think.

It just looks odd. It also prolongs the story.

It's a rat trap Keiry
    And you've been caught.
    The greatest single ever released.

Forget the undertones.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,130

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World
    There is that. Everybody is needling Starmer and with some cause: his behaviour has not been good. But he does have an enormous majority and the field is his for the next five years. If TeamLabour hold their nerve (they won't, but for purposes of argument) he can do whatever he likes.

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World
    National government!
    edited October 2
    Awks.

The Labour peer at the centre of the donations row bailed out a baroness after she was found to have wrongly claimed £125,000 in the parliamentary expenses scandal.

Lord Alli, a multimillionaire former banker and fashion entrepreneur, gave a £62,000 loan to Baroness Uddin more than a decade ago to help her repay the expenses after the Lords authorities ordered her to refund the taxpayer.

Sir Keir Starmer would later announce that the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), which he ran at the time, would not pursue fraud charges against her.

The wrongful expenses claim was revealed in 2012 by The Sunday Times but has resurfaced 12 years on because of Alli’s newfound notoriety for donating gifts including clothes and glasses to the prime minister and his wife, Victoria.

Uddin, a community campaigner appointed a peer by Tony Blair in 1998, was found to have wrongly claimed £125,000 in parliamentary expenses in October 2010 by stating that her main home was in Maidstone when in fact she lived in Tower Hamlets.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/politics/article/lord-alli-lent-62000-to-bail-out-peer-in-expenses-scandal-57rpqg86v

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World
    Really? Do you expect Starmer to be ousted? What odds would you like to offer?

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World
    National government!
    The Tories themselves won 470 seats.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,609

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World
    National government!
    Ah, good times.

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World
    Have you missed RAFgate?

That was a Starmer scandal for about 3 minutes earlier on.
    RobD said:

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World
    National government!
    Ah, good times.
    Had Theresa May not soiled the bed in 2017 the Tories were on course for roughly that (if not better.)
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,179

Aw, bless him, he is only keeping another £94k worth of freebies. That is OK then. Bless his heart. Man of the people. Toolmaker's son.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/starmer-pays-back-more-than-6-000-in-gifts-after-donations-row/ar-AA1rAQBT?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=c1be6c4e5e3c497fb6347e153b53c812&ei=27
    edited October 2
    viewcode said:

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World
    There is that. Everybody is needling Starmer and with some cause: his behaviour has not been good. But he does have an enormous majority and the field is his for the next five years. If TeamLabour hold their nerve (they won't, but for purposes of argument) he can do whatever he likes.
    His behaviour has been fine. No different to the multitude of other politicians who accept gifts and declare them. If we want to move to state-funded parties, I’d be open to the idea. Currently, we have a different system - which all parties operate within.
  • AnthonyTAnthonyT Posts: 41

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Kemi's job this week was to hide the crazy

Epic fail...

Less than a month ago she was leading with around 45%.

Real crash and burn here.
    I remember there was some wise fellow who was warning that Kemi Badenoch was a duffer.

He received a lot of abuse for that but he was proven right.
    He?

https://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2023/07/18/a-missed-opportunity/

"As for Badenoch, she can join the list of Tory hopefuls with more ego than achievement to their name."
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,694

RobD said:

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World
    National government!
    Ah, good times.
    Had Theresa May not soiled the bed in 2017 the Tories were on course for roughly that (if not better.)
    Cameron got only got 11,334,726 votes in 2015 to her 13,636,684 in 2017. You can't entirely blame her for the opposition not being split.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,801

Funny. Old. World.

K
    E
    I
    R

Better than Churchill?

One to ponder.

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World
    Have you missed RAFgate?

That was a Starmer scandal for about 3 minutes earlier on.
    I must have missed that one. Where did it rank in the League of Ills? Higher, or lower, than Donkeygate? Or, dare I even ask, Sir Keir’s shame - Currygate??
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,242
    Has this been mentioned yet:

The Labour peer at the centre of the donations row bailed out a baroness after she was found to have wrongly claimed £125,000 in the parliamentary expenses scandal.

Lord Alli, a multimillionaire former banker and fashion entrepreneur, gave a £62,000 loan to Baroness Uddin more than a decade ago to help her repay the expenses after the Lords authorities ordered her to refund the taxpayer.

Sir Keir Starmer would later announce that the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), which he ran at the time, would not pursue fraud charges against her.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/politics/article/lord-alli-lent-62000-to-bail-out-peer-in-expenses-scandal-57rpqg86v

The Labour sleaze snake is now swallowing its own tail.

Yes.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,243

Aw, bless him, he is only keeping another £94k worth of freebies. That is OK then. Bless his heart. Man of the people. Toolmaker's son.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/starmer-pays-back-more-than-6-000-in-gifts-after-donations-row/ar-AA1rAQBT?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=c1be6c4e5e3c497fb6347e153b53c812&ei=27

The thing I enjoy most is the way the Starmerites keep insisting he has done nothing wrong and thereby keep the story rolling on

The longer it rolls on the more voters negative opinions become entrenched

Awks.

The wrongful expenses claim was revealed in 2012 by The Sunday Times but has resurfaced 12 years on because of Alli’s newfound notoriety for donating gifts including clothes and glasses to the prime minister and his wife, Victoria.

Uddin, a community campaigner appointed a peer by Tony Blair in 1998, was found to have wrongly claimed £125,000 in parliamentary expenses in October 2010 by stating that her main home was in Maidstone when in fact she lived in Tower Hamlets.

I’m not sure the writer of that piece knows what notoriety means!
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,508

That's.... mind blowing

So the Generous Labour Lord, who underwrites the Labour PM's wife's designer panties, is also saving corrupt Labour MPs from the consequences of their own thievery

viewcode said:

Stocky said:

David Davis is to support Badenoch.

https://x.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1841444586645852625

She's fucked then.
    Like a [redacted] on [redacted].

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World
    Johnson survived scandal after scandal until eventually his MPs had simply had enough. It seems vanishingly unlikely that'll happen to Starmer.

People are getting rather overexcited about fairly small beer.

Funny. Old. World.

He shouldn't pay back the gifts he should pay tax on them or not allow HMRC to tax other people who receive gifts in their line of work

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/keir-starmer-should-pay-48000-tax-on-freebies-accountants-claim/ar-AA1rySwf#:~:text=Sir Keir Starmer should pay tax on the,2019 – including football tickets, clothes and accommodation.
    Turns out the riots were based on a far-right rumour emanating from Finland

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cp8l9gpp8yro
    Eabhal said:

A Finnish rumour you say?
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,614
    viewcode said:

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World
    Even if Team Labour have an attack of the wobblies, the lack of a red equivalent of Graham Brady's enormous postbag makes it harder to dump a poor Labour leader. It's certainly possible that Labour make it too hard to get rid of a failing leader (look what happened with Jez), but equally the Conservatives make it much too easy, and one of the things we all have to get used to now is that politics is going to be slower and more boring than it has been since 2015 or so.

So what's the mechanism? The sort of parliamentary process that Boris ran away from? Hardly. Starmer has been politically dumb, but nobody has accused him of anything that's against the written rules. The sort of awfulness that means that half his government resigns? Not much sign of that, either. A realisation of the howling void in his soul? It's possible, but he's been a lawyer and a politician, so unlikely. A realisation that he will lose and someone else will win, like the Biden-Harris dynamic? Maybe, but not until 2028.

In the meantime, the noise remains what it always has been. The sort of displacement that teenagers do when they are caught with their hands somewhere they shouldn't be. "What are you doing telling me off, look at them, you're such a hypocrite..." Real as Starmer's faults are, tedious as his complaints were, his sins are as nothing compared with those of Big Dog.

The thing I enjoy most is the way the Starmerites keep insisting he has done nothing wrong and thereby keep the story rolling on

Was politicians accepting and declaring gifts news to you? Were you unaware of the practice previously?
    A

Eabhal said:

A Finnish rumour you say?
    🤔
    MJW said:

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World
    Johnson survived scandal after scandal until eventually his MPs had simply had enough. It seems vanishingly unlikely that'll happen to Starmer.

I don't regard slurping up over 100k of freebies from someone with an access agenda and also choosing not to prosecute an alleged fraudster because she was a Labour peer small beer.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,189
    Eabhal said:

Rumours from Finland, I am getting deja-vu.

Was politicians accepting and declaring gifts news to you? Were you unaware of the practice previously?
    I was unaware KEIR STARMER accepted SO MUCH MONEY at a time when HARDWORKING FAMILIES ARE STRUGGLING

PLEASE REPLY

Funny. Old. World.

K
    E
    I
    R

Better than Churchill?

One to ponder.
    Watch out for the spam trap. Better men than me have spent days in there.
    This one sums up much of what's wrong with this country:

More than £8 million is being spent building 15 “affordable” homes as councils struggle to meet green planning standards while keeping rents down.

The properties in Twechar, East Dunbartonshire, would cost £535,800 each to build and a senior figure in the authority said the outlay would be “ultimately repaid by tenants”.

A combination of low carbon heating systems, installing electric vehicle charging points and ensuring they meet “silver” building standards that as well as energy efficiency includes space for a home office, were cited as part of the reason for the expense.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/scotland/article/fifteen-affordable-homes-will-cost-council-8m-to-build-2g7nm2k87

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

eek said:

From Robert Peston

Is that a westerner giving it the big "I am" in the middle east?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,827
    edited October 2
    MJW said:

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World

Let's see how the polling looks in a few months before we decide who is getting "overexcited".

Sir "mile wide and an inch deep" won't survive a concerted push to get rid.
    edited October 2
    The entire Labour government - in essence, the UK - has been bought by one Labour Lord. It's not like he's even that impressive. He's not a squillionaire like Musk or Bezos, he's only worth £200m

I have close personal friends that are worth considerably more than that. I might ask them to buy Spain for me, or maybe Greece plus Montenegro for the carp

viewcode said:

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World
    Even if Team Labour have an attack of the wobblies, the lack of a red equivalent of Graham Brady's enormous postbag makes it harder to dump a poor Labour leader. It's certainly possible that Labour make it too hard to get rid of a failing leader (look what happened with Jez), but equally the Conservatives make it much too easy, and one of the things we all have to get used to now is that politics is going to be slower and more boring than it has been since 2015 or so.

So what's the mechanism? The sort of parliamentary process that Boris ran away from? Hardly. Starmer has been politically dumb, but nobody has accused him of anything that's against the written rules. The sort of awfulness that means that half his government resigns? Not much sign of that, either. A realisation of the howling void in his soul? It's possible, but he's been a lawyer and a politician, so unlikely. A realisation that he will lose and someone else will win, like the Biden-Harris dynamic? Maybe, but not until 2028.

In the meantime, the noise remains what it always has been. The sort of displacement that teenagers do when they are caught with their hands somewhere they shouldn't be. "What are you doing telling me off, look at them, you're such a hypocrite..." Real as Starmer's faults are, tedious as his complaints were, his sins are as nothing compared with those of Big Dog.
    Johnson certainly gives Sir Kier Freebie a lot of cover with assistance from the whatabouterers but he came to power claiming to clean up politics. "I am not as grubby as Johnson" is not much of a moral defence.

MJW said:

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World

I don't regard slurping up over 100k of freebies from someone with an access agenda and also choosing not to prosecute an alleged fraudster because she was a Labour peer small beer.
    It really is not #SmallBeerKier

This one is particularly corrosive because it looks like corruption piled on corruption, thievery married to grift
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

eek said:

From Robert Peston

He was pretty big, and regarded as an Arab by many of the Arab tribes
    Leon said:

That's.... mind blowing

So the Generous Labour Lord, who underwrites the Labour PM's wife's designer panties, is also saving corrupt Labour MPs from the consequences of their own thievery
    That "panties" ... oh dear.

You really are a certain type, aren’t you. I've met you so many times.

viewcode said:

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World

A very close personal scandal could see him off

Starmer is a lying c*nt with no conscience, we know that now. And yes he's a lawyer, so he has pretty thick skin

But I suspect Starmer's Achilles heel is that family. If it looks like pain for them, he will go

For the purposes of clarity, I am not claiming there are any such scandals waiting to emerge, merely that is the kind of thing that could do it: topple Skyr Toolmakersson

Boris has extremely thick skin, but in the end his own MPs and ministers could no longer bear the drip-drip-drip, and he went, DESPITE winning and holding a large majority

Whatever it takes to get you through, Alan.
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

That's.... mind blowing

Heteresexual men with no doubts about that sexuality? Yes, you probably have. Not in the mirror, tho
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

That's.... mind blowing

It could have been Vikky's vajazzles
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,145

Awks.

It's true then. Women can't read maps.
    kinabalu said:

Starmer - it's not going well is it ?
    kinabalu said:

Are you insisting that he has done nothing wrong @kinabalu? I had rather hoped that you were not a "my party right or wrong" political moron?

eek said:

I think I have a winner for stupidest person of the day.

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/24626078.disqualified-darlington-driver-drove-home-court-ban/

Man arrested driving home from court where he had been given a driving ban...

What is the betting he is driving this time next year regardless? Decent odds on I would guess, not sure what the answer is for these types who just ignore the judgments, aside from the expensive option of jail. Would like to see extremely punitive fines as an option if they have any assets.
    In this case he has a Range Rover.

How about any vehicle driven while disqualified is taken as part of the fine.
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

That's.... mind blowing

Heteresexual men with no doubts about that sexuality? Yes, you probably have. Not in the mirror, tho
    "panties" ...
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World

Starmer is a lying c*nt with no conscience, we know that now. And yes he's a lawyer, so he has pretty thick skin

But I suspect Starmer's Achilles heel is that family. If it looks like pain for them, he will go

For the purposes of clarity, I am not claiming there are any such scandals waiting to emerge, merely that is the kind of thing that could do it: topple Skyr Toolmakersson

Boris has extremely thick skin, but in the end his own MPs and ministers could no longer bear the drip-drip-drip, and he went, DESPITE winning and holding a large majority
    Starmer is a career lawyer who reached the top, then a hobby politician who has reached the top in his second career. Starmer is in his 60s already and probably planned to step down during this or the next parliament in any case.

So it would not surprise me at all if Starmer goes in a couple of years, but weeks or months would leave me gobsmacked.

MJW said:

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World

There are two reasons it's small beer as scandals go - firstly it's a bad look scandal, he's not broken any rules. Unless more comes out there's therefore not a breaking point you can hang a resignation on. Sure it's hit Starmer's ratings but not moved the polls much - if you didn't like Labour before it's confirmed that view, if you're sympathetic to Labour it might make you think less of Starmer but it's not a deal breaker. Secondly none of the opposition parties have clean hands on donations and freebies, and in the Tories' case have far bigger problems if are seen as such.

• Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,800
    By year end, this government will be behind the Conservatives in polling, maybe well behind.
    MJW said:

MJW said:

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World

There are two reasons it's small beer as scandals go - firstly it's a bad look scandal, he's not broken any rules. Unless more comes out there's therefore not a breaking point you can hang a resignation on. Sure it's hit Starmer's ratings but not moved the polls much - if you didn't like Labour before it's confirmed that view, if you're sympathetic to Labour it might make you think less of Starmer but it's not a deal breaker. Secondly none of the opposition parties have clean hands on donations and freebies, and in the Tories' case have far bigger problems if are seen as such.

The polls where we've seen Starmer’s ratings fall haven't published VI - that's why the polls haven't moved much - there haven't BEEN ANY.

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

eek said:

From Robert Peston

We all remember the iconic scene. Emerging from the distance, piercing blue eyes, handsome as the sun ... and that was just the camel.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,531
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

eek said:

From Robert Peston

Inspiration for Vance’s eyeliner look?

kinabalu said:

I'll revert in a year on that one.
    MJW said:

MJW said:

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World

It most certainly is NOT small beer. This was always what apologists for Johnson said, and that wasn't small beer either, it was blatant dishonesty combined with incompetence.

The difference between Starmer and The Clown is that many voters hoped Starmer was a boring straight man who was going to be honest and uncorruptible. He has proved he is nowhere close to that expectation.

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

That's.... mind blowing

It could have been Vikky's vajazzles
    One can't say. It's fungible.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,827
    Leon said:

MJW said:

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World

It really is not #SmallBeerKier

This one is particularly corrosive because it looks like corruption piled on corruption, thievery married to grift
    Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

SPLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,517

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World
    Keir Starmer is a PB Tory.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,415

Kemi-kaze chatting more shit.

Kemi Badenoch Claims Young Tories Get Lower Marks At University Because Of Their Politics

https://x.com/HuffPostUK/status/1841476479525257551

Even if there really is a correlation here, the direction of causality - if any - is up for debate :wink:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World

Starmer is a career lawyer who reached the top, then a hobby politician who has reached the top in his second career. Starmer is in his 60s already and probably planned to step down during this or the next parliament in any case.

So it would not surprise me at all if Starmer goes in a couple of years, but weeks or months would leave me gobsmacked.
    Personally I hope there are many more months of this abject humiliation - the country can (just about) stand it, and in the meantime, Starmer is poisoning the well of just about every craptacular social democratic idea and reinvigorating the right. Net Zero, the clamp down on free speech - he was in Europe today, he'll give the kiss of death to European reintegration too. Bless his (freebie) cotton socks.
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I'll revert in a year on that one.
    No need in 28 days we get our first good look at the shitshow.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,990

maaarsh said:

https://x.com/PA/status/1841504117161705770

PA Media
    @PA
    ·
    21m
    #BreakingNews Sir Keir Starmer has paid back more than £6,000 worth of gifts and hospitality received since becoming Prime Minister, Downing Street has said

PA Media
    @PA
    The Prime Minister is covering the cost of six Taylor Swift tickets, four to the races and a clothing rental agreement with a high-end designer favoured by his wife, Lady Victoria Starmer

What a strange decision for a man who has done nothing wrong to take.

That opens the question to why just those gifts
    Different rules when you're in government. All gifts over £140 go to the department the minister works for or you have to "purchase" them from the department.
    Leon said:

The entire Labour government - in essence, the UK - has been bought by one Labour Lord. It's not like he's even that impressive. He's not a squillionaire like Musk or Bezos, he's only worth £200m

I have close personal friends that are worth considerably more than that. I might ask them to buy Spain for me, or maybe Greece plus Montenegro for the carp

It's not absolute wealth but spare or spending money that counts here. Many on PB could spend £10,000 or £100,000 without breaking sweat. For someone whose equivalent throwaway figure is £10 million, spending £1,000 is like a normal guy spending a mere pound, or £10 for the £100k person, because £10 million is a thousand times £10,000.

Not all rich people are generous of course, but their spending shows the same pattern. There was a Piers Morgan programme where he put to Lord Sugar that he'd spent £30 million on a private plane just to avoid airport queues. Sugar thought about it and agreed.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,033

Don't have a problem with these being repaid rather than prosecuted. But the Tory in Brecon who got done for a few hundred pounds was ridiculous.

kinabalu said:

Are you insisting that he has done nothing wrong @kinabalu? I had rather hoped that you were not a "my party right or wrong" political moron?
    My head's in America atm tbh. Nov 5th.
  • Continuing my posts digging into US polling. I had good news for the Dems and then a neutral one so now one for the Reps.

18 states have had three or more polls in the last month. 4 show no change, 3 show movement to the Dems, 11 have movement to the Reps (including California, New York and Florida). Yet, oddly, national polls show the race exactly where it was in 2020. Something doesn't quite add up - another reason to take US polls with a huge pinch of salt
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,414
    Follow Me !!!

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World

Personally I hope there are many more months of this abject humiliation - the country can (just about) stand it, and in the meantime, Starmer is poisoning the well of just about every craptacular social democratic idea and reinvigorating the right. Net Zero, the clamp down on free speech - he was in Europe today, he'll give the kiss of death to European reintegration too. Bless his (freebie) cotton socks.
    You mention Net Zero. Some would say Ed Miliband is the only minister who has got anything done so far.

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World

You mention Net Zero. Some would say Ed Miliband is the only minister who has got anything done so far.
    If you view making 100000+ people unemployed an achievement

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World

Oh, I dunno, I think Starver and Reams have managed to spook the economy, just with their ineptitude and gloom, to the extent we are now facing an entirely unnecessary recession, when the economy WAS growing at a decent pace

They've created taxpayer flight and investor allergy, to the extent they are now reconsidering their non dom wankery
    edited October 2
    See William is cheering Villa scoring v Bayern

And VAR turns up !!!!!
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

eek said:

From Robert Peston

We all remember the iconic scene. Emerging from the distance, piercing blue eyes, handsome as the sun ... and that was just the camel.
    Sorry to be a Lawrence nerd, but you obviously don't. The iconic scene of the camel rider emerging from the distance was Omar Shariff. He did not have blue eyes! Labour supporters - always poor on detail.
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

eek said:

From Robert Peston

Minor links with history. I had a junior school teacher who'd known TE Lawrence.

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

eek said:

From Robert Peston

Minor links with history. I had a junior school teacher who'd known TE Lawrence.
    In the biblical sense?
    Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World

Oh, I dunno, I think Starver and Reams have managed to spook the economy, just with their ineptitude and gloom, to the extent we are now facing an entirely unnecessary recession, when the economy WAS growing at a decent pace

They've created taxpayer flight and investor allergy, to the extent they are now reconsidering their non dom wankery
    You voted for them didn't you?
    Scott_xP said:

Follow Me !!!

Is Tom doing the power stance? Tbh I've forgotten what the power stance was.

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

eek said:

From Robert Peston

Sorry to be a Lawrence nerd, but you obviously don't. The iconic scene of the camel rider emerging from the distance was Omar Shariff. He did not have blue eyes! Labour supporters - always poor on detail.
    Didn't they both do some emerging on a camel?
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

eek said:

From Robert Peston

Didn't they both do some emerging on a camel?
    I think Lawrence did quite a lot of emerging, but possibly not with Sherif Ali.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World

Though to be fair, being the Energy Secretary and shutting down the energy sector will take some beating.

Leon said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Funny. Old. World.

Funny. Old. World

Though to be fair, being the Energy Secretary and shutting down the energy sector will take some beating.
    LOL
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,670
    Selebian said:

Kemi-kaze chatting more shit.

Kemi Badenoch Claims Young Tories Get Lower Marks At University Because Of Their Politics

https://x.com/HuffPostUK/status/1841476479525257551

Even if there really is a correlation here, the direction of causality - if any - is up for debate :wink:

Is the sample size of Tory voting students currently big enough to allow us to draw any conclusions?