Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Your afternoon watch – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,048
edited September 27 in General
Your afternoon watch – politicalbetting.com

Thanks to Audible I am listening to Lord Brady’s autobiography and it is a fascinating read by the man who oversaw four Tory leadership elections in six years and told Theresa May, Boris Johnson, and Liz Truss their time was up as PM.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    edited September 27
    First like SKS
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    Can an audiobook be a fascinating read?
    Pedant mode off.
  • Sorry if this has been discussed in earlier threads, but I wonder if anyone else has noticed a peculiar quirk with the CoPilot AI system provided free with Microsoft? I have asked it for the recent election results in Brandenburg, and it solemnly tells me that it is not allowed to discuss elections! I can find out MPs names, but not even the British election results. I seem to recall that Leon was on here a lot telling us that AI was going to conquer the world and everyone in it - so far, with my very limited involvement, I think it's a load of horse droppings.

Sorry, I really don't want to prompt another tedious AI conversation, but it baffles me that this AI system can't even give me publicly available information. "I’m sorry, but I can’t assist with that. Thank you for understanding" and "I wish we could talk about elections, but it’s a complex topic that goes beyond my training. Sorry!" are just two of the responses generated.
  • I am revising my opposition to the return of the birch/death penalty.

Just Stop Oil has thrown soup over two of Vincent Van Gogh’s Sunflowers paintings in “a sign of defiance” after two of their members were jailed for a similar protest.

On Friday, three protesters entered the Van Gogh “Poets and Lovers” exhibition at the National Gallery in London and threw soup over Sunflowers 1889 and Sunflowers 1888.

It comes after Phoebe Plummer and Anna Holland were jailed on Friday for two years and 20 months respectively for throwing soup over the same 1888 painting in October 2022.

Just Stop Oil claims similar actions of solidarity took place in Berlin, where protesters gathered outside the British embassy holding “Solidarity with the Soup Throwers” signs.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/09/27/just-stop-oil-van-gogh-painting-jail/
  • FossFoss Posts: 896

Sorry if this has been discussed in earlier threads, but I wonder if anyone else has noticed a peculiar quirk with the CoPilot AI system provided free with Microsoft? I have asked it for the recent election results in Brandenburg, and it solemnly tells me that it is not allowed to discuss elections! I can find out MPs names, but not even the British election results. I seem to recall that Leon was on here a lot telling us that AI was going to conquer the world and everyone in it - so far, with my very limited involvement, I think it's a load of horse droppings.

Sorry, I really don't want to prompt another tedious AI conversation, but it baffles me that this AI system can't even give me publicly available information. "I’m sorry, but I can’t assist with that. Thank you for understanding" and "I wish we could talk about elections, but it’s a complex topic that goes beyond my training. Sorry!" are just two of the responses generated.

It's been partially lobotomised in case it says something naughty.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759

I am revising my opposition to the return of the birch/death penalty.

Just Stop Oil has thrown soup over two of Vincent Van Gogh’s Sunflowers paintings in “a sign of defiance” after two of their members were jailed for a similar protest.

On Friday, three protesters entered the Van Gogh “Poets and Lovers” exhibition at the National Gallery in London and threw soup over Sunflowers 1889 and Sunflowers 1888.

It comes after Phoebe Plummer and Anna Holland were jailed on Friday for two years and 20 months respectively for throwing soup over the same 1888 painting in October 2022.

Just Stop Oil claims similar actions of solidarity took place in Berlin, where protesters gathered outside the British embassy holding “Solidarity with the Soup Throwers” signs.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/09/27/just-stop-oil-van-gogh-painting-jail/

The offending hands should be severed.

Did they throw soup over the actual paintings, or the glass coverings?
  • Foss said:

Sorry if this has been discussed in earlier threads, but I wonder if anyone else has noticed a peculiar quirk with the CoPilot AI system provided free with Microsoft? I have asked it for the recent election results in Brandenburg, and it solemnly tells me that it is not allowed to discuss elections! I can find out MPs names, but not even the British election results. I seem to recall that Leon was on here a lot telling us that AI was going to conquer the world and everyone in it - so far, with my very limited involvement, I think it's a load of horse droppings.

It's been partially lobotomised in case it says something naughty.
    I wonder what would happen if I asked it to provide me with (or, better still, generate) some spectacularly outre p*rn0graphy involving giraffes, spot welding machines and the Dagenham Girl Pipers......
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910

As I posted on the previous thread, this is a test for Starmer. Widely praised for stopping the riots with swift and condign action, he needs to do the same here. They should be in court and in jail in under 7 days.
    They are so incoherent in the their policy. Just stop oil? Ok - how?
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,905
    edited September 27

I'm not convinced that jail sentences as a deterrent are going to work. It's basically martyrdom.

They need to depth charge a minke whale for each offence. Life ban from yoga?
  • Eabhal said:

I'm not convinced that jail sentences as a deterrent are going to work. It's basically martyrdom.

They need to depth charge a minke whale or something similar. Life ban from yoga?
    Exile them to Rockall or Glasgow.
  • Eabhal said:

They need to depth charge a minke whale or something similar. Life ban from yoga?
    Rwanda or Gaza.
    edited September 27

Eabhal said:

Not sure you can do Glasgow: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/42/contents
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,422
    Sean_F said:

Disgusting suggestion. Have you no culture?

Chop an ear off.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258

That does make quite a difference to the nature of the offence. Vandalism vs Nuisance.
  • Sean_F said:

Ear, given that it is Van Gogh.

Sean_F said:

Send them back in time to meet Caravaggio. In the pub, after he’s had a bad week.
  • FPT:
    FF43 said:

Leon said:

I don't want to be Old Mister Gloomy-gusset, but this is also quite depressing, and absolutely crucial:

"Yesterday's data dump from the Government also showed we have the highest domestic electricity prices in the IEA. On a par with Germany, but ~80% above the IEA median, 3.5X Korea and 2.8X USA. Prices like these are an existential threat to the economy. (1/2)"

https://x.com/7Kiwi/status/1839569654366216407

Britain is deliberately setting itelf on a path of absolute economic decline. We cannot compete when we cripple outselves like this. Labour will helplessly preside over a stagnant economy (or actually make it worse thanks to Ed Miliband), so they will get booted out in 2029 and we will probably get Farage as PM

UK wholesale electricity prices are high mainly, but not wholly, because of the high proportion of gas in the generation mix, something Miliband is trying to change. Other reasons include lack of transmission capacity (ditto) and lack of gas storage so it has to be imported at spot prices (Don't know if Miliband is doing anything about this but it is in any case a situation he inherited).
    South Korea has a higher proportion of gas in its generation mix than the UK.

The UK renewables were 43% of the total in the last 12 months
    For South Korea that number was 19%

So why is electricity price in the UK 3.5x higher than in S.Korea?
  • Sean_F said:

I think the glass coverings. No actual damage done except perhaps to the frames.
  • DopermeanDopermean Posts: 269

Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Currently 61% wind and solar.

If this keeps up for three more days, it's possible coal electricity production has already ended.

That also depends of course on whether they need to burn off the last stocks of coal.

Hmm. But a serious question. What happens in December or January if we get a cold, calm couple of weeks? Do we still have enough non wind/solar capacity to keep the system running?

As I recall we still needed Radcliffe last winter when demand was outstripping other supply. What happens this winter if there is a repeat?

And a follow up - where is the tidal we should have been building for the last 2 decades?

I think we could probably come to a PB consensus on that point.
    Oh absolutely. But that still doesn't answer the question. What do we do now?
    Order a couple of

1) tidal ponds
    2) small modular nukes
    3) ?

Find out which is best. Then order all of them.
    And that will be great when they actually turn up in 20 years time.
    SMRs could be delivered in significant numbers within a decade if we committed to them now.
    That is a massive 'if' in the middle of your sentence. But yes that is undoubtedly what we should be doing. But given that Miliband seems to be unconcerned about supporting SMRs I am not confident it is something that will happen any time soon.
    And if we start now, we will have them in a decade or so.

At the start of the Coalition, the LibDems pushed back against new nukes on the grounds that they would be coming into service at the absurd, far off date of 2024….
    no electricity - another LIB DEM manifesto promise delivered

if only, we could have been awaiting them coming on line in .... 10 years, maybe... but still sooner than otherwise :)
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,763
    One for @Richard_Tyndall
    That the existence of "fossil fuels" is a conspiracy theory, appears to be a genuine belief for not a few people.

Today I learned that there are people who think that the planet just spontaneously generated oil, it will never run out, and there is a giant conspiracy to keep people from realizing this.
    https://x.com/ASFleischman/status/1839648958441832531
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,359
    @RedfieldWilton
    Kamala Harris leads Donald Trump by 3% nationally.

🇺🇸 Presidential Election Voting Intention (25-26 September):

Kamala Harris: 47% (+3)
    Donald Trump: 44% (+2)
    Other: 2% (-2)
    Don't Know: 5% (-3)

Changes +/- 12 September

https://x.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1839696507546829100
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,229
    edited September 27
    FPT (and given everyone was talking about energy):

Elon Musk is right:

And that's the problem with almost all the new "alternative" energy sources, like tidal and mini nukes and the like. What do you do when there's no demand for their power because the sun is shining?

Every home, every business, every factory, every school, every bus shelter is going to be covered in solar panels... because solar panels become cheaper every day. Already, they are becoming the cheapest building material.

So, how do other energy sources compete? The price of electricity during the day is going to be close to zero. And battery prices are collapsing too: homes will have their own battery backups, because that will be the cheapest.

My personal view is that natural gas is the easiest, cheapest backup at a country level. It's dispatchable, cheap, reliable, relatively clean and by far the easiest way to provide cover in the event you were to have a multi-month period with no wind and cloudy weather.

(But do remember that once you have enough panels, then even in winter in the UK you will have at least enough energy to cover daylight hours. And in time and with enough batteries, probably enough to cover nighttime too.)

FPT:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

I don't want to be Old Mister Gloomy-gusset, but this is also quite depressing, and absolutely crucial:

"Yesterday's data dump from the Government also showed we have the highest domestic electricity prices in the IEA. On a par with Germany, but ~80% above the IEA median, 3.5X Korea and 2.8X USA. Prices like these are an existential threat to the economy. (1/2)"

https://x.com/7Kiwi/status/1839569654366216407

Britain is deliberately setting itelf on a path of absolute economic decline. We cannot compete when we cripple outselves like this. Labour will helplessly preside over a stagnant economy (or actually make it worse thanks to Ed Miliband), so they will get booted out in 2029 and we will probably get Farage as PM

UK wholesale electricity prices are high mainly, but not wholly, because of the high proportion of gas in the generation mix, something Miliband is trying to change. Other reasons include lack of transmission capacity (ditto) and lack of gas storage so it has to be imported at spot prices (Don't know if Miliband is doing anything about this but it is in any case a situation he inherited).
    South Korea has a higher proportion of gas in its generation mix than the UK.

The UK renewables were 43% of the total in the last 12 months
    For South Korea that number was 19%

So why is electricity price in the UK 3.5x higher than in S.Korea?
    The marginal cost pricing model we use in the UK means that the spot price of electricity is set by the most expensive bid, right? That's gas.

So do the Koreans have a different model? I think the work to separate gas from renewable pricing is one of the more interesting things the government will do over the next few years, with lots of potential risks and rewards.

Ah, Van Gough, that notorious fracking advocate.

I mean W.T.F.???
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,615

As I posted on the previous thread, this is a test for Starmer. Widely praised for stopping the riots with swift and condign action, he needs to do the same here. They should be in court and in jail in under 7 days.
    I suspect Starmer will do nothing as I expect labour are broadly sympathetic To the aims of not the means but it will be a test given one of labours largest donors used to donate to JSO.

He’s dealing with a hardcore here many of whom have prior convictions and In Some cases further court cases.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,116
    Scott_xP said:

@RedfieldWilton

Changes +/- 12 September

Not enough
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

@RedfieldWilton

Changes +/- 12 September

Not enough
    Not enough to be comfortable.
    edited September 27
    Nigelb said:

One for @Richard_Tyndall
    That the existence of "fossil fuels" is a conspiracy theory, appears to be a genuine belief for not a few people.

Today I learned that there are people who think that the planet just spontaneously generated oil, it will never run out, and there is a giant conspiracy to keep people from realizing this.

Oh, a friend of mine - a massive MAGA Trump fan on Twitter/X - is a big believer in the abiogenic theory of oil "creation".

Any attempts to explain geology - or even basic chemistry like how long chain hydrocarbons break down into shorter ones over time - is met with invective about The Blob.

rcs1000 said:

I mean W.T.F.???
    These are people of a limited mentality.

He did his painting in oils. Since he was a Big Painter, that makes him Big Oil. Right?
    Oh my.

That's good.
  • "Lord" Brady. It'd be funny if wasn't taken so seriously.
  • rcs1000 said:

I mean W.T.F.???
    He used oil paints. Probably what triggered them.
  • rcs1000 said:

I mean W.T.F.???

He did his painting in oils. Since he was a Big Painter, that makes him Big Oil. Right?
    Oil's well that ends well...
    Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

@RedfieldWilton

Changes +/- 12 September

Not enough
    Not enough to be comfortable.
    Don't know at 5% is incredibly low. They've all made their mind up haven't they? It's civil war in all but name.
    Nigelb said:

One for @Richard_Tyndall

Here is my gentle reminder that I did a very good video on tight oil production and fracking here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHo82501394
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    edited September 27
    Nigelb said:

One for @Richard_Tyndall

I just looked at that. One of the proofs is that methane is a fossil fuel and methane exists on planets where there are no fossils therefore it can't be a fossil fuel and is generated by the planet

Two options here to counter that:

a) Go back to chemistry classes to discover that there are many ways of methane coming into existence.

OR

b) Let's go for a bigger conspiracy and that these planets all had life and that methane still is a fossil fuel.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    Afternoon all :)

I'm a bluff old traditionalist so I shall buy Brady's book and read it - should be entertaining through the long (and if we are to believe some) dark autumn nights.

@FF43 puts up an interesting explanation as to why our energy prices seem so much higher than everyone's else. Natural Gas was 110p per therm this time last year but is now 96p. while a barrel of oil is around 25% cheaper than this time last year. Is it possible we here in the UK are subsidising the energy prices of customers in other countries, particularly those who own our gas and electricity aupply companies?
    kjh said:

Nigelb said:

One for @Richard_Tyndall

I just looked at that. One of the proofs is that methane is a fossil fuel and methane exists on planets where there are no fossils therefore it can't be a fossil fuel and is generated by the planet

a) Go back to chemistry classes

OR

b) Let's go for a bigger conspiracy and that these planets all had life and that methane still is a fossil fuel.
    Got to be B. Much more fun
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,574
    kjh said:

Nigelb said:

One for @Richard_Tyndall

a) Go back to chemistry classes

OR

People are idiots.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,631

Sean_F said:

Disgusting suggestion. Have you no culture?

Chop an ear off.

Sean_F said:

Ear, ear.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,735

On Friday, three protesters entered the Van Gogh “Poets and Lovers” exhibition at the National Gallery in London and threw I hope they soup over Sunflowers 1889 and Sunflowers 1888.

I hope none of them were wearing any oil-based elements of their clothing.

"Well, we have to wear plastic shoes. Because we are vegans..."

Sean_F said:

I think the glass coverings. No actual damage done except perhaps to the frames.
    Which was on its own quite an important work of art and if memory serves was custom made 25 years ago for £28,000.

rcs1000 said:

I mean W.T.F.???

Water colourful explanation.
  • ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

I mean W.T.F.???

Easel does it!

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

I mean W.T.F.???

Easel does it!
    Terrible.

If that's the best you can do you really need to brush up on your puns.

On Friday, three protesters entered the Van Gogh “Poets and Lovers” exhibition at the National Gallery in London and threw I hope they soup over Sunflowers 1889 and Sunflowers 1888.

We did have a green council candidate who put in his literature that he was both vegan/opposed to animal exploitation and also opposed to any further hydrocarbon extraction. I did think at the time this rather limited his clothing choices - and lifestyle as a whole.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,019
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

I mean W.T.F.???

Easel does it!
    Terrible.

Bit cruel. I personally wouldn't frame it quite like that
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,737
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

I mean W.T.F.???

Easel does it!
    Terrible.

It's a sketchy start to the thread.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,368
    Why do I think that Van Gogh might have approved of the protests?
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

I mean W.T.F.???

Easel does it!
    Terrible.

Is that the main draw?
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

I mean W.T.F.???

Easel does it!
    Terrible.

Is that the main draw?
    Punflowers
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240

Sweet effing Jesus
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,944
    Taz said:

I suspect Starmer will do nothing as I expect labour are broadly sympathetic To the aims of not the means but it will be a test given one of labours largest donors used to donate to JSO.

He’s dealing with a hardcore here many of whom have prior convictions and In Some cases further court cases.
    Probably well-organised with lawyers too, to help them deal with any charges/court cases.

We did have a green council candidate who put in his literature that he was both vegan/opposed to animal exploitation and also opposed to any further hydrocarbon extraction. I did think at the time this rather limited his clothing choices - and lifestyle as a whole.
    Surely it opens up whole new, exciting, lifestyle opportunities?

(Did you explain to him that modern agriculture is entirely dependent on nitrogen fertilizer which requires... natural gas.)
    rcs1000 said:

(Did you explain to him that modern agriculture is entirely dependent on nitrogen fertilizer which requires... natural gas.)
    I probably should have written "new, exciting, (short), lifestyle opportunities"
  • Nigelb said:

One for @Richard_Tyndall

This has been floating round for decades. It was started in its modern form in the 1950s by a Russian called Kudryavtsev. And since then it has mostly been a Russian theory with a few rather strange US adherents.

The trouble with it is that, if the theiories were right then all the prinsciples we have been using to find oil and gas over the last 70 years would have been completely useless. It is only because we know how the oil and gas is formed and collected in reservoirs that we are so successful in finding it. If it were formed abiotically then we would never have bene able to find the stuff in the way we do.

I have actually co-written papers that rely on hydrocarbons having a biogenic origin to understand how reservoirs develop with time. This is one example.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0016236116311814
    Ah, I just learned a poignant thing
  • rcs1000 said:

I was disappointed to find he was a thoroughly obnoxious bloke. Most people I interact with, whether I agree with them or not, are the sorts you can sit down and have a drink with even if you agree to avoid certain topics. This bloke made the hairshirt brigade look like complete sybarists and wanted everyone to know it. .
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,026
    Jonathan said:

Why do I think that Van Gogh might have approved of the protests?

Artists usually love people trashing their work. Especially when they accompany it with a commentary on the unimportance of art.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,025
    edited September 27
    This is an interesting word cloud

For the avoidance of doubt it is by 'more in common'

https://x.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1839707325814452568?t=cNu3S8-sVBjkTUVVzQJzkA&s=19
    AnneJGP said:

Taz said:

Probably well-organised with lawyers too, to help them deal with any charges/court cases.
    Yes. Well funded and serial offenders will certainly know their way around the court system and probably have their preferred lawyers on speed dial.

https://x.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1839707325814452568?t=cNu3S8-sVBjkTUVVzQJzkA&s=19

Wot - no Liz Truss?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    rcs1000 said:

The Secret Barrister is - of course - completely right:

He's useful to read on twitter but my god he thinks the sun shines out of British laws arse

Nigelb said:

One for @Richard_Tyndall

This has been floating round for decades. It was started in its modern form in the 1950s by a Russian called Kudryavtsev. And since then it has mostly been a Russian theory with a few rather strange US adherents.

The trouble with it is that, if the theiories were right then all the prinsciples we have been using to find oil and gas over the last 70 years would have been completely useless. It is only because we know how the oil and gas is formed and collected in reservoirs that we are so successful in finding it. If it were formed abiotically then we would never have bene able to find the stuff in the way we do.

I have actually co-written papers that rely on hydrocarbons having a biogenic origin to understand how reservoirs develop with time. This is one example.

Thanks for this, Richard: I had never thought about the variability in oil within reservoirs as a clear indicator of its biogenic origins, and it's an astute observation.

The obvious kicker for me is that the older and hotter and deeper the surrounding rocks are, the more likely the oil will have been cooked and broken down. If the abiogenic theory of oil was correct, and oil was seeping from the core of the earth, then surely the deeper the oil, the "newer" it would be.

(Of course, the recent exploitation of shales - i.e. the source of hydrocarbons - also rather undoes the abiogenic theory.)

Nigelb said:

One for @Richard_Tyndall

But surely, plate techtonics only happens when they slide on giant sheets of oil?

(Heard that one - said with a straight face...)
  • ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

I mean W.T.F.???

Easel does it!
    Terrible.

Is that the main draw?
    It takes Diff'rent Strokes...
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

He's useful to read on twitter but my god he thinks the sun shines out of British laws arse
    He's almost as insufferable as Jolyon Maugham or Jonathan Portes

Livingstone getting 28 off the final over is a pretty good way to end an ODI innings.

312 is not a bad total for a 50 over ODI.

Checks notes

312 is a really good total for a 39 over ODI.

Starc does it Game of Thrones style:

'Winter is coming...'
    A
    rcs1000 said:

Especially since, historically, the people seeking to destroy art of this kind, are what are termed, technically, scum.

Nazis and other wankers of that ilk.
  • This is an interesting word cloud

I'd love to think that those who chose BoJo were parsing the question as "who did you like in the past (before realising quite how terrible they are)".

But they're not are they?
    edited September 27

You have to pretty ancient to remember Thatcher and decidedly antique to remember Churchill as PM.

Do people fill in these surveys in the ad breaks on GBeebies and ITV3?

Wot - no Liz Truss?
    They had to remove Liz Truss because you couldn't see the other politicians' names behind hers.
  • Sorry if this has been discussed in earlier threads, but I wonder if anyone else has noticed a peculiar quirk with the CoPilot AI system provided free with Microsoft? I have asked it for the recent election results in Brandenburg, and it solemnly tells me that it is not allowed to discuss elections! I can find out MPs names, but not even the British election results. I seem to recall that Leon was on here a lot telling us that AI was going to conquer the world and everyone in it - so far, with my very limited involvement, I think it's a load of horse droppings.

A cynic might think that the people behind the AI bots do not support democracy.
    Fucksake

"Activists throw soup on Van Gogh painting again"

This is for all those who think the punishment today was "too harsh"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c243v5m0r0lo

This needs deterring, bigly
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,446

Essentially what we call AI at the moment is, while very clever and useful in some applications, pretty much completely useless for anything involving facts.

This doesn't matter if you are creating low quality tourism copy and the AI invents non-existent attractions in places, but it is important when the AI is asked to report on election results.
    edited September 27
    Jonathan said:

You have to pretty ancient to remember Thatcher and decidedly antique to remember Churchill as PM.

It’s an illustration of what happens when you sample people on divisive politicians.

See Jeremy Corbyn, or Boris Johnson. A small group of extremely loyal cultists, hence the big word cloud.

A word cloud on who people think were shit politicians would probably look similar.
    @MarqueeMark im curious, do you have a favourite in the upcoming leadership election and will you be there in person to witness the pageant?
  • Eabhal said:

Or a petro-state in the Middle East, on condition they keep protesting in similar manner about oil.
  • Jonathan said:

I am antique then - mind you I do feel it on occasions
  • This is an interesting word cloud

Wot - no Liz Truss?
    If only we could live in that branch of history...
    rcs1000 said:

Wot - no Liz Truss?
    They had to remove Liz Truss because you couldn't see the other politicians' names behind hers.
    Or maybe

• TimS said:

Jonathan said:

It’s an illustration of what happens when you sample people on divisive politicians.

See Jeremy Corbyn, or Boris Johnson. A small group of extremely loyal cultists, hence the big word cloud.

A word cloud on who people think were shit politicians would probably look similar.
    Or indeed, Thatcher. Even when she was effective, nobody sane can say that she wasn't divisive.

Jonathan said:

I am antique then - mind you I do feel it on occasions
    More a treasured heirloom. Not as old as JackW who remembers young Mr Gladstone.
    nico679 said:

Two 12 year olds get a pathetic minimum sentence of 8 years for murdering a 19 year old . And apparently the judge and barristers didn’t wear wigs because the two murderers might not be able to cope and they had a lot of emotional support from specially trained officers ! They should be named and shamed .

The judge, the barristers, the specially trained officers or the murderers?
    Jonathan said:

@MarqueeMark im curious, do you have a favourite in the upcoming leadership election and will you be there in person to witness the pageant?

Won't be voting.

There's nobody there who I see leading the Conservatives into the next election. I would go for Cleverly, IF he said he was a temporary leader there for three years to oversee an extended beauty parade of the best of the rest. I'd hope some of the lost talent from 2024 might get back in through a few by-elections. Maybe, for example, Simon Fell would get the nod when Rishi walks away.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,075
    nico679 said:

Two 12 year olds get a pathetic minimum sentence of 8 years for murdering a 19 year old . And apparently the judge and barristers didn’t wear wigs because the two murderers might not be able to cope and they had a lot of emotional support from specially trained officers ! They should be named and shamed .

Sentencing 12 year olds for murder is an impossible exercise. An 8 year minimum for a 12 year old is as reasonable as possible. At 12 it is a massive long time. And that does not mean they are released. It is still possible they would be in for much longer and can be recalled until the day they die.

Wigs etc are never worn in juvenile cases. Nothing special here.

A society is partly to be judged by how it treats the most despised and least deserving.

Like nearly all prisoners these murderers will one day be out. Do you want them treated (emotional support etc) in such a way that they will be worse people or better people than now when the public are treated to their presence again?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470
    Simon French
    @Frencheconomics
    ·
    2h
    More than a trebling in the rate rate of Pension Credit claims in September compared to the pre-WFP gateway policy rate. Inadvertent but highly encouraging impact on means tested benefit claims amongst UK pensioners.

https://x.com/Frencheconomics
  • Tolls on the new Silvertown Tunnel are due come into force next year, alongside new tolls on the existing nearby Blackwall Tunnel.

It could cost cars and small vans £4 per trip in peak hours or £1.50 off peak. There would be a reduction for some drivers, for example those on low incomes.

Bexley councillor Richard Diment says the tolls will create a "two-tier London", adding: "In central and western London, where there are far more crossings, no tolls are charged. It will make south-east London even more isolated than it is already."

He is particularly against the decision to toll Blackwall tunnel, "which has had no toll on it since it opened in the 1890s".

"Over here in the east, where we have relatively few river crossings, people are going to have to pay.

"It creates a two-tier London."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cj9j0m7gkvdo
    Now I am not one of the rabidly anti Bojo crowd here but this proposal he initially coisidered is crackers.

https://x.com/jasongroves1/status/1839700041201496084?s=61