Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Will Ed Miliband’s time finally arrive? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,507
    algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

I think (think, mind, not of late because who knows), that in general the Cons are, were once, or should be in favour of a small state with support where necessary, individual responsibility, and free enterprise. After that it wants to let people do their thing.

My impression of Lab, under Keir or EdM or anyone, is that they want us to behave and think in a particular way that conforms to a set of nebulous ideals that no one will articulate clearly beyond the buzzwords.

Is why they are always so dangerous.

There is no significant party in favour of the small state. Politics would be a good deal more interesting if there were. It could be a niche for Reform, but won't be.

But a coherent costed programme of what UKplc would look like, and how it would function if, say, a very modest 10% (roughly £100 billion) were removed from State Managed Expenditure would be interesting. Anyone who thinks the Tories are either going there or have been there in the last 50 years are mistaken.

For how difficult this is, contemplate the fuss over WFA, which might save £1.5 billion, and probably will save nothing as Pension credit and its accompanying perks, such as no council tax, kicks in.
    Yes. Perhaps that is what we the people prefer. Well it must be because it's what we have.
  • Lexington (KY) Herald-Leader - Gov. Beshear seeks resignation of Kentucky sheriff charged in shooting death of judge

Gov. Andy Beshear is seeking the resignation of a Kentucky sheriff charged with killing a local judge.

Beshear’s office sent Letcher County Sheriff Mickey Stines a letter dated Sept. 25 asking him to submit his resignation by the end of the day Friday to the county judge-executive, Terry Adams.

The letter said if Stines doesn’t quit, Beshear will start the process of removing him. State law allows the governor to remove a peace officer for neglect of duty.

Stines is charged with shooting Letcher District Judge Kevin Mullins to death in Mullins’ office in the county courthouse on Sept. 19.

Police have not released a motive but said there was a brief, personal argument between the two before Stines allegedly shot Mullins, 54. Stines surrendered immediately after the shooting and had been in jail since. . . .

Beshear’s office sent the letter to Stines at the Leslie County Jail, where he is being held. It was signed by S. Travis Mayo, Beshear’s general counsel. If Stines chooses not to resign, he has the right to contest the removal.

Beshear would hear evidence and make the decision, according to the statute. Stines, 43, pleaded not guilty as his arraignment Wednesday.

SSI - Note that the sheriff is being sued in federal court, on grounds he failed to properly train & supervise one of his deputies, charged with sexual abuse, including allegation that the dep had sex with at least one woman in the chambers of the judge whom his boss (allegedly) shot to death.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676

Omnium said:

Not sure about this one. At 100/1 Ed Miliband does at least have the advantage of being eligible, but I'm not particularly convinced it's value.

I think it's notable that Ed is back being Energy and Climate Secretary. I get the impression that this is the policy area he cares most about and that he's accepted the failure of his time as leader and wouldn't want to go back there.

You also have to consider that Labour Party rules would make a full contest very likely, while Starmer, or Rayner as his deputy, acted as a caretaker. If you ignore Labour Party rules you can just about imagine a scenario where Cabinet agrees on Ed as the safe pair of hands, but I'd have thought he would want to lose a leadership contest even less than become leader again - and the most likely outcome is that he would lose, because he lost in 2015, and he'd be up against younger Cabinet ministers like Streeting or Phillipson.

The use of it as a trading bet is much diminished when he isn't even listed on Betfair.

Superficially appealing, but a bad value bet is my view on this.

I’m asking for him to be added on the Betfair next PM/next Lab leader markets.
    Of course his brother is always amongst the first to be added!

PS There's another Ed that they should add to next PM too!

Ed Balls would be great
    B
    A
    L
    L
    S

Has his time come?

One to ponder.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,363
    edited September 26
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Thanks to these idiots we're probably going to have to start paying for restaurant meals up-front.

https://www.itv.com/news/2024-09-26/the-rise-of-dine-and-dash-a-third-of-hospitality-businesses-out-of-pocket

Or they take a card and pre-approve a certain amount when ordering. Then they have got your details, a card number and some money in deposit. Its all a bit sad that it would have to come to this because of the action of a few.
    A minor inconvenience to no longer have to subsidise those who steal.
    One thing I am surprised we haven't had a load of is people refuelling and driving off. It is easy to get fake plates. In the US you always have to do pre-approval if you don't want to pay at the pump itself.
    edited September 26

Roger said:

I'm in France and I sense a lot of the news stories that have been turning posters brains into jelly have been lost on me. I've been listening rather than watching which also makes a difference. I've now heard all the main speeches and several interviews

I didn't think Starmer's speech was well delivered or well written. It had no easy flow and I couldn't see much point in most of it. Even the bit about the racist rioters which was the best received was not well delivered. And as for his joke.....

By contrast Rachel Reeves timing was excellent as was her delivery. It was also well constructed and even quite moving in parts. I feel she has much the best chance of changing the face of British politics and if everything aligns she could well be a star.

My final tip is Wes Streeting. He reminds me of David Milliband. He's articulate authentic and can talk about any subject without appearing to be evasive. He's likable and all round a witty and engaging 'bloke'.

So in answer to Eagles question "if the proverbial bus....." it would be between Reeves and Streeting. Maybe Reeves

Damn, I also think Wes Streeting is the best of Labour's top team, but now Rog has given him the seal of approval, that's probably buggered that.
    I think it is unlikely but if the job came vacant then surely it has to be Reeves as first labour woman PM
    Given the vacancy isn't likely to open up for a long long time, who knows. But yes, I am sure if Reeves is still around the big push will be for the First labour woman PM...the other ones don't count ;-)
  • It will be Jimmy Carter's 100th birthday on Tuesday 1 October.

How should the democrats celebrate this achievement?
    edited September 26
    If Starmer wanted to gain some popularity back, big focus on cracking down hard on what I call shitty crimes, phone and bike thefts, shop lifting, dine and dash.
  • It will be Jimmy Carter's 100th birthday on Tuesday 1 October.

By voting for Kamala Harris & Tim Walz, obviously.

Seeing as how waiting to cast HIS vote for them, may be what's keeping #39 still ticking . . .
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,019

It will be Jimmy Carter's 100th birthday on Tuesday 1 October.

By drinking this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Beer
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    edited September 26
    Andy_JS said:

Thanks to these idiots we're probably going to have to start paying for restaurant meals up-front.

https://www.itv.com/news/2024-09-26/the-rise-of-dine-and-dash-a-third-of-hospitality-businesses-out-of-pocket

Horrell & Horrell in Somerset. You book, you pay, you turn up on the day, you eat superb food. No bill, no tips, just get up and go.

It's the future.
    edited September 26
    Just seen Boris promo for his book, he looks awful. We were talking about Nick Clegg having aged a fair bit recently and how Farage doesn't good great for his age, but Boris is going to look like the old one out of Father Ted the way he is going.
  • CatMan said:

By drinking this:

Kamala's inner Winston Churchill would approve
  • FF43 said:

algarkirk said:

On topic, the chances of Labour turning to Ed Miliband for leader is precisely, to two decimal places, zero. 100/1 is not value. Value is 10/1 or thereabouts for Cleverly to be next Tory leader.

Good call. On the basis Cleverly is obviously the best option available to the Conservative Party. I don't expect the Party to pay an iota of attention to what I think and I do expect them to be just as stupid in their selection this time as previously. But a 1 in 10 possiblity they will be sensible surely has to be value?
    Let me translate that for you:

"On the basis that Cleverly is obviously the most aligned to my political opinions.."

You're welcome.
    Does Cleverly really have political opinions? He strikes me as affable enough but a rather empty vessel. Cleverly by name, James by nature.
  • If Starmer wanted to gain some popularity back, big focus on cracking down hard on what I call shitty crimes, phone and bike thefts, shop lifting, dine and dash.

Dine and dash. One of the restaurants that bothered to be in the article had 3 in 18 months. Another said clients refused to pay because food wasnt cooked. Its hardly a major crime wave. Just clickbait.
  • Andy_JS said:

Horrell & Horrell in Somerset. You book, you pay, you turn up on the day, you eat superb food. No bill, no tips, just get up and go.

It's the future.
    I always find the car parks that have that system rather disconcerting...don't know why.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    edited September 26
    Andy_JS said:

Interesting how politicians aren't asked what the most virtuous thing they've ever done is.

I wasn't very impressed with the answers to the naughty step question.

Jenrick is imo a crook (see Housing Minister corruption, even though he couldn't even deliver £45m benefits for a donation without cocking it up), so it was hardly a surprise to find that he was previously a tanked-up scrote. No need to talk about his driving ban.

Tugendhat made an offensive joke about a serious event, whilst seeming to think that driving around town with his head stuck in a mobile phone in one hand reading a map, putting the public at risk (one of the offences he committed to get his driving ban), is somehow OK.

Badenoch welched on the question, but her fairly ardent support for Elon Musk speaks volumes. She needs to explain why she thinks it's OK to destroy about 75% of the value of a business.

Cleverly also tried to welch on the question, but in the previous interview he talked about drugs and pr0n. Probably the most likely to be effective, but seems to get a bit nasty when under pressure (he drove into somebody else on a motorway, and got prickly when they said he was speeding, using his phone).

In terms of motor vehicles, Badenoch seems the most sensible, with a normal sized car though she does drive it into rivers. Cleverly and Jenrick are both Land Rover types. Tugendhat had a Skoda 4x4, but if he drives around using his mobile phone in town he needs to be in a pedal car.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962

FF43 said:

algarkirk said:

On topic, the chances of Labour turning to Ed Miliband for leader is precisely, to two decimal places, zero. 100/1 is not value. Value is 10/1 or thereabouts for Cleverly to be next Tory leader.

Good call. On the basis Cleverly is obviously the best option available to the Conservative Party. I don't expect the Party to pay an iota of attention to what I think and I do expect them to be just as stupid in their selection this time as previously. But a 1 in 10 possiblity they will be sensible surely has to be value?
    Let me translate that for you:

"On the basis that Cleverly is obviously the most aligned to my political opinions.."

You're welcome.
    As you are more interested in my opinion than anyone involved in the decision, you will be gratified to note I am only contemplating a 10% probability of the Conservative Party making the sensible choice for leader.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,126
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Or they take a card and pre-approve a certain amount when ordering. Then they have got your details, a card number and some money in deposit. Its all a bit sad that it would have to come to this because of the action of a few.
    Personally it's more convenient to pay in advance... means you can leave when you want rather than waiting around for ages for the bill to come...
    edited September 26
    rkrkrk said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Personally it's more convenient to pay in advance... means you can leave when you want rather than waiting around for ages for the bill to come...
    One negative is for staff, as I bet it leads to much less tipping.
  • CatMan said:

By drinking this:

Democrats - please do NOT drink a can of Billy Beer now nearly a half-century old . . . until AFTER you cast your votes!

Anyway, Jimmy was NOT exactly pleased by his brother's money-making schemes, such as Billy Beer OR his lobbying for Muammar Gaddafi.
    edited September 26

Roger said:

I'm in France and I sense a lot of the news stories that have been turning posters brains into jelly have been lost on me. I've been listening rather than watching which also makes a difference. I've now heard all the main speeches and several interviews

I didn't think Starmer's speech was well delivered or well written. It had no easy flow and I couldn't see much point in most of it. Even the bit about the racist rioters which was the best received was not well delivered. And as for his joke.....

By contrast Rachel Reeves timing was excellent as was her delivery. It was also well constructed and even quite moving in parts. I feel she has much the best chance of changing the face of British politics and if everything aligns she could well be a star.

My final tip is Wes Streeting. He reminds me of David Milliband. He's articulate authentic and can talk about any subject without appearing to be evasive. He's likable and all round a witty and engaging 'bloke'.

So in answer to Eagles question "if the proverbial bus....." it would be between Reeves and Streeting. Maybe Reeves

Never get the love certain people have for Streeting. To me, he appears to be as smarmy and dislikeable as Jenrick.
    His claims giving freebies to politicians is like giving to charity wasn't his finest moment.
  • rkrkrk said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Only place in USA where self-service gas pumps are NOT the norm, is in New Jersey. Thus VERY little tipping involved.

Are attendents who actually pump your petrol for you still a thing in the UK?
    edited September 26

rkrkrk said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Only place in USA where self-service gas pumps are NOT the norm, is in New Jersey. Thus VERY little tipping involved.

We are talking about restaurants.....

Doesn't Oregon have some weird rule about this.

If Starmer wanted to gain some popularity back, big focus on cracking down hard on what I call shitty crimes, phone and bike thefts, shop lifting, dine and dash.

Also on benefit fraud, especially gang-organised benefit fraud. The plan to get banks to report suspicious account activity is sadly invasive but necessary imo.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/sep/24/labours-benefit-crackdown-would-allow-officials-to-access-bank-accounts
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,572
    edited September 26

Lexington (KY) Herald-Leader - Gov. Beshear seeks resignation of Kentucky sheriff charged in shooting death of judge

Gov. Andy Beshear is seeking the resignation of a Kentucky sheriff charged with killing a local judge.

Beshear’s office sent Letcher County Sheriff Mickey Stines a letter dated Sept. 25 asking him to submit his resignation by the end of the day Friday to the county judge-executive, Terry Adams.

The letter said if Stines doesn’t quit, Beshear will start the process of removing him. State law allows the governor to remove a peace officer for neglect of duty.

Stines is charged with shooting Letcher District Judge Kevin Mullins to death in Mullins’ office in the county courthouse on Sept. 19.

Police have not released a motive but said there was a brief, personal argument between the two before Stines allegedly shot Mullins, 54. Stines surrendered immediately after the shooting and had been in jail since. . . .

Beshear’s office sent the letter to Stines at the Leslie County Jail, where he is being held. It was signed by S. Travis Mayo, Beshear’s general counsel. If Stines chooses not to resign, he has the right to contest the removal.

Beshear would hear evidence and make the decision, according to the statute. Stines, 43, pleaded not guilty as his arraignment Wednesday.

SSI - Note that the sheriff is being sued in federal court, on grounds he failed to properly train & supervise one of his deputies, charged with sexual abuse, including allegation that the dep had sex with at least one woman in the chambers of the judge whom his boss (allegedly) shot to death.

Yeah, I heard that story while driving the bit of the '75 in Kentucky where the shooter had a pop at passing traffic a week or two earlier. You'd think he'd already be gone.

Meanwhile here businesses are closing mid afternoon and everyone is readying to hunker down for this evening's storm. Thank goodness the pool chairs aren't still upright.
  • CatMan said:

By drinking this:

Don't think WSC was much a beer drinker, was he?

Certainly NOT semi-refined horse-piss such as "Billy Beer"!
    Selebian said:

viewcode said:

The verbal version of that Speccie article: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR_zkLYpd6I

Cleverly speaks best, in that format, but his answer to the 'naughty' question came across a bit dour.

Tugendhat's naughty answer is even worse on seeing it. Badenoch's refusal was done with a lot more charm on screen than comes out from reading the page. Jenrick actually makes you warm to him with his answer.

But Cleverly comes across as generally the most human/normal and maybe with an ability to think about things, whether or not he actually has any answers.
    In the printed form, they are all just themselves.

Cleverly offers nothing, absolutely nothing. No policies beyond that which just got the Tories utterly gubbed. He talks about earning trust and delivering - how do you do that from opposition? His political career was weak and trend driven. He'd promise little and deliver less.

Kemi also says nothing, but says it very well. That's her political career in microcosm too - great talker, very little doing stuff.

Tug end 'I was once in the miltary' - OK.

Robert Jenrick says what he wants to do, and why. He could be the most loathsome creep ever, but he says what he wants to do, and why he wants to do it. That puts him miles ahead of the rest, and those who 'cannot see the appeal' are deliberately dissembling because they dislike his politics, or plain stupid.

rkrkrk said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Not for 50 years or so.
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,944
    TOPPING said:

I think (think, mind, not of late because who knows), that in general the Cons are, were once, or should be in favour of a small state with support where necessary, individual responsibility, and free enterprise. After that it wants to let people do their thing.

My impression of Lab, under Keir or EdM or anyone, is that they want us to behave and think in a particular way that conforms to a set of nebulous ideals that no one will articulate clearly beyond the buzzwords.

During the Blair government, I read a (very friendly) biography of Gordon Brown, which gave as a major contribution to the New Labour project his insight that the Thatcher years had made everyone very much more self-reliant; and that this posed significant problems which New Labour would have to tackle. I found that quite chilling.

Sorry, no idea of the book title or author.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481

Roger said:

Never get the love certain people have for Streeting. To me, he appears to be as smarmy and dislikeable as Jenrick.
    He's also going to have his name very firmly attached to the NHS. Depending on how things play out that may be good for him and his chances of getting the top job but it's never worked out for anyone else previously..
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025

rkrkrk said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

No. Last time I came across one was about 30 years ago. It felt weird. Someone was doing a job that I, low-skilled though I am, could have easily done, leaving me nothing to do but stand awkwardly while he did it. I was saved neither time nor effort nor having to master a challenging skill.
    edited September 26

rkrkrk said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

No, but it's still not uncommon in Italy, if as an optional pump with a built in higher price per litre. But the self service pumps don't need a lunch break. Which reminds me of the Italian "24/7 fuel station" I once found closing for lunch. When I pointed to the sign, they explained that 24/7meant they opened all night and on Sunday, not that they didn't get lunch.
  • CatMan said:

By drinking this:

Certainly NOT semi-refined horse-piss such as "Billy Beer"!
    I just wanted to highlight my favourite thing about Kamala, other than not being Donald

She does seem to drink on the job; I respect that

rkrkrk said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

Vanishingly rare and quaint.
    eek said:

Roger said:

He's also going to have his name very firmly attached to the NHS. Depending on how things play out that may be good for him and his chances of getting the top job but it's never worked out for anyone else previously..
    Nye Bevan did end up having a play written about him.
  • rkrkrk said:

RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

We are talking about restaurants.....

Doesn't Oregon have some weird rule about this.
    Oregon and New Jersey USED to be only two states were self-service gas-pumps were illegal.

BUT they changed the law in the great Beaver State last year (see below)

CNN - Oregon drivers are now allowed to pump their own fuel after the state lifted a ban dating back to 1951

. . . The full service requirement has historically been a contentious topic in Oregon and New Jersey, with reasons given for sticking with the old mandate ranging from flammable liquid safety to preserving the jobs of gas station attendants. . . .

In New Jersey – where it’s been illegal for drivers to pump their own gas since 1949 – the self-service ban, along with the state’s reputation for low gas prices, is part of its culture. One popular bumper sticker in the state proclaims “Jersey Girls Don’t Pump Gas.”

[NJ] residents have little interest in self-service. A 2022 poll found that 73% of them say they prefer having their gas pumped for them.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/06/us/oregon-drivers-pump-own-fuel-law/index.html

SSI - until last year, teasing Oregoonians for inability to pump their own gas, was popular amusement for ruggedly self-reliant Washingtontonians.
  • BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,695
    edited September 26
    Body language experts: who's in control here?

• IanB2 said:

Lexington (KY) Herald-Leader - Gov. Beshear seeks resignation of Kentucky sheriff charged in shooting death of judge

Yeah, I heard that story while driving the bit of the '75 in Kentucky where the shooter had a pop at passing traffic a week or two earlier. You'd think he'd already be gone.

Meanwhile here businesses are closing mid afternoon and everyone is readying to hunker down for this evening's storm. Thank goodness the pool chairs aren't still upright.
    Best of luck to you AND your little dog.

Reckon you'll both be fine . . . good Lord willing AND the creeks don't rise . . . tooooooooooo much . . .
    AnneJGP said:

TOPPING said:

During the Blair government, I read a (very friendly) biography of Gordon Brown, which gave as a major contribution to the New Labour project his insight that the Thatcher years had made everyone very much more self-reliant; and that this posed significant problems which New Labour would have to tackle. I found that quite chilling.

And they have largely succeeded, sadly.

Thank goodness for Kier Sponger, who is going to kill the pernicious party stone dead.

CatMan said:

By drinking this:

He liked a pint or two of Pol Roger though.
    edited September 26

IanB2 said:

Reckon you'll both be fine . . . good Lord willing AND the creeks don't rise . . . tooooooooooo much . . .
    We're having a burger lunch in anticipation of dinner not being available, the only customer sitting outside if under cover. Traffic is heavy as I guess folks are heading home early so they can put their own yard chairs on their side, in good time?

Asheville has more homeless folks than I remember from previous visits. Will they be taken in anywhere?
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    "It is with a heavy heart that I have today informed my whip and decided for now to no longer take the
    @Conservatives
    whip.
    This is a sad day for me.
    I am a Conservative and remain so but sadly the current Party are far removed from the Party I joined and served in Cabinet.
    My decision is a reflection of how far right my Party has moved and the hypocrisy and double standards in its treatment of different communities.
    A timely reminder of the issues that I raise in my book Muslims Don’t Matter"

https://x.com/SayeedaWarsi/status/1839346509684285668
  • I think the StarmTroopers and Cambridge lawyers throw so much hate at Kemi to easily qualify her as the best candidate
  • eek said:

Roger said:

Nye Bevan did end up having a play written about him.
    Note that on subject of freebies for politicos, Aneurin Bevan was all for 'em personally speaking. In contrast to, for example, Jimmy Maxton who famously refused to be "treated" when he could not afford to reciprocate.

Nye on the other hand was on the same page as Lyndon Johnson's daddy, who served a few terms in the Texas legislature. And who told his son (I paraphrase but not much) with respect to lobbyists and their special interests:

- Boy, if you can't take their money, drink their liquor, fuck their women - then vote against 'em, you do NOT belong in politics.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,206
    Lets face it, if Miliband gets to be PM, we might as well nuke the UK ourselves and save everyone else the bother
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,019

CatMan said:

By drinking this:

Democrats - please do NOT drink a can of Billy Beer now nearly a half-century old . . . until AFTER you cast your votes!

Anyway, Jimmy was NOT exactly pleased by his brother's money-making schemes, such as Billy Beer OR his lobbying for Muammar Gaddafi.
    We elected the wrong Carter!

https://youtu.be/1h4xjooqh0g?si=UuYFRZ5mbsqIlojn
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139

Peanuts?
  • IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

We're having a burger lunch in anticipation of dinner not being available, the only customer sitting outside if under cover. Traffic is heavy as I guess folks are heading home early so they can put their own yard chairs on their side, in good time?

Asheville has more homeless folks than I remember from previous visits. Will they be taken in anywhere?
    Likely much of the traffic is folks from outlying areas, coming into town to purchase supplies, then high-tailing it back home BEFORE the storm hits.

"It is with a heavy heart that I have today informed my whip and decided for now to no longer take the
    @Conservatives
    whip.
    I am a Conservative and remain so but sadly the current Party are far removed from the Party I joined and served in Cabinet.
    My decision is a reflection of how far right my Party has moved and the hypocrisy and double standards in its treatment of different communities.

Oh God, not her again.

She's effectively refused the whip for the last 10 years. Couldn't handle being told was crap as party chairman by the members, and put it down to discrimination and has had a chip on her shoulder ever since.

@Conservatives
    whip.

eh? Now seems an odd time to do it. Although it actually reads like a book plug. Perhaps it is.

That woman is a genuine idiot, though.
  • Perhaps the WORST consequence of Hurricane Helene, is having to watch Ron DeSantis on the Weather Channel, acting like he's a responsible public official instead of a power-mad autocrat.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    edited September 26

Peanuts?
    Including peanut butter & jelly sandwiches . . . THE quintessential American comfort food.

ADDENDUM - yet another option, for honoring Jimmy Carter on his 100th birthday, is by harboring lust in your heart.

Something I find remarkably easy to do, even when NOT thinking of "Jimmy Who?"!
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731

Roger said:

Streeting was one of several reasons that I didn't vote Labour in July. I don't trust him an inch, particularly as he is so full of himself that he doesn't take advice.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,965
    edited September 26

@Conservatives
    whip.

Oh God, not her again.

She's effectively refused the whip for the last 10 years. Couldn't handle being told was crap as party chairman by the members, and put it down to discrimination and has had a chip on her shoulder ever since.
    Indeed. Astonished to read she's been taking the Con whip, certainly since 2019? Who knew!
  • CatMan said:

By drinking this:

Resemblence between a bottle of Pol Roger and a can of Billy Beer being - they're both wet?

AnneJGP said:

TOPPING said:

Thank goodness for Kier Sponger, who is going to kill the pernicious party stone dead.
    Well, we need to be slightly careful what we wish for.

I wouldn't want radical Greens usurping them as the alternative contender for office.
  • IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Asheville Citizen Times -

Asheville-Buncombe Code Purple
    The Asheville-Buncombe Homeless Coalition announced a Code Purple to assist people experiencing homelessness during the inclement weather. Code Purple, which is usually issued for extremely cold weather, will provide emergency overflow shelter to the homeless community on Friday, Sept. 27.

Participating shelters will provide more beds with fewer requirements than their typical programming, and sites will work with participants to refer them to ongoing shelter and housing options.

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2024/09/25/hurricane-helene-north-carolina-state-of-emergency-declared/75379917007/

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

The Asheville-Buncombe Homeless Coalition announced a Code Purple to assist people experiencing homelessness during the inclement weather. Code Purple, which is usually issued for extremely cold weather, will provide emergency overflow shelter to the homeless community on Friday, Sept. 27.

Participating shelters will provide more beds with fewer requirements than their typical programming, and sites will work with participants to refer them to ongoing shelter and housing options.

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2024/09/25/hurricane-helene-north-carolina-state-of-emergency-declared/75379917007/
    Meanwhile that burger place was heaving; I guess we know where Americans will rush to, if they ever face the end of times. But, sadly, the wine shop along the street hasn’t opened at all today. Missing out on some useful custom, I’d have thought.
    Foxy said:

Roger said:

Streeting was one of several reasons that I didn't vote Labour in July. I don't trust him an inch, particularly as he is so full of himself that he doesn't take advice.
    In that respect, he hasn’t changed since his councillor days.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    edited September 26
    Why has Warsi resigned the Tory whip?

CatMan said:

By drinking this:

Resemblence between a bottle of Pol Roger and a can of Billy Beer being - they're both wet?
    Both have bubbles?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Meanwhile that burger place was heaving; I guess we know where Americans will rush to, if they ever face the end of times. But, sadly, the wine shop along the street hasn’t opened at all today. Missing out on some useful custom, I’d have thought.
    The US version of the the Winchester Tavern?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757
    A non clustered PA poll.
    Though it’s a bit old.

Pennsylvania Presidential Polling:

Harris (D): 48%
    Trump (R): 46%

YouGov/U. Lowell / Sept 19, 2024 / n=800
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,766
    edited September 26

AnneJGP said:

TOPPING said:

I wish I could be that optimistic.

There will always be benefit dependents, minorities with victim complexes, public sector layabouts and other natural Labour voters so I doubt the utterly misnamed Labour Party and its socialist ideas will ever die off completely in this country.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643

AnneJGP said:

TOPPING said:

Well, we need to be slightly careful what we wish for.

I wouldn't want radical Greens usurping them as the alternative contender for office.
    The new three party system is going to be magnificent with the Liberal Democrats in Government, Reform on the opposition benches and the Greens a strong third.

Presumably that would have you heading for the airport....
  • Cookie said:

@Conservatives
    whip.

eh? Now seems an odd time to do it. Although it actually reads like a book plug. Perhaps it is.

That woman is a genuine idiot, though.
    I thought she had left the party years ago
  • maxhmaxh Posts: 1,059

Selebian said:

viewcode said:

The verbal version of that Speccie article: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR_zkLYpd6I

Cleverly speaks best, in that format, but his answer to the 'naughty' question came across a bit dour.

Tugendhat's naughty answer is even worse on seeing it. Badenoch's refusal was done with a lot more charm on screen than comes out from reading the page. Jenrick actually makes you warm to him with his answer.

But Cleverly comes across as generally the most human/normal and maybe with an ability to think about things, whether or not he actually has any answers.
    In the printed form, they are all just themselves.

Cleverly offers nothing, absolutely nothing. No policies beyond that which just got the Tories utterly gubbed. He talks about earning trust and delivering - how do you do that from opposition? His political career was weak and trend driven. He'd promise little and deliver less.

Kemi also says nothing, but says it very well. That's her political career in microcosm too - great talker, very little doing stuff.

Tug end 'I was once in the miltary' - OK.

Robert Jenrick says what he wants to do, and why. He could be the most loathsome creep ever, but he says what he wants to do, and why he wants to do it. That puts him miles ahead of the rest, and those who 'cannot see the appeal' are deliberately dissembling because they dislike his politics, or plain stupid.
    Completely agree that Jenrick is the most impressive there, putting aside one's politics. I do think Badenoch skewers him on ECHR, though - he is going for the cheap political win of leaving without actually thinking through how that will help.

A much more serious answer would be to carry out Cumming's (or Trump's) proposed gutting of the civil service, replacing all the Sir Humphreys with yes-men who will happily ignore international law and just get on with illegal deportations. We may differ on whether that's a good long term plan for this country, though.
    More in Common poll with the usual caveat about polling so soon after an election

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)
    24-25/9 Change with 10-12/9 n= 2080

https://bsky.app/profile/luketryl.bsky.social/post/3l535drxwwe2c
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    tlg86 said:

https://order-order.com/2024/09/26/exclusive-electoral-law-issues-for-starmer-over-penthouse-campaign-stay/

Nuttall was investigated by police. He managed to prove to them that he used his house regularly as a “base” in the campaign for the 2017 Stoke By-Election. Starmer has accidentally admitted that he lived in a different property to the one on his declaration – did he campaign from his Kentish Town house? Downing Street will have to say so…

Doesn't Reading Guido make you feel you're in the the Dirty Mac Brigade?
  • maxhmaxh Posts: 1,059
    Foxy said:

Roger said:

Can you say a bit more about him not taking advice @foxy? First time I've heard this said of him (and I must admit I find him an impressive talker).
  • BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,695
    edited September 26
    Roger said:

tlg86 said:

https://order-order.com/2024/09/26/exclusive-electoral-law-issues-for-starmer-over-penthouse-campaign-stay/

Nuttall was investigated by police. He managed to prove to them that he used his house regularly as a “base” in the campaign for the 2017 Stoke By-Election. Starmer has accidentally admitted that he lived in a different property to the one on his declaration – did he campaign from his Kentish Town house? Downing Street will have to say so…

Doesn't Reading Guido make you feel you're in the the Dirty Mac Brigade?
    Coming from the paedo rapist islamist friendly brigade

You've got recorded form
    FF43 said:

More in Common poll with the usual caveat about polling so soon after an election

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

Reform still cockblocking the Tories.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500

FF43 said:

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

I view it as LAB+REF 48%
    Sensible CON+LD 39%

There's a long way to go for sensible.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,458
    Taz said:

Omnium said:

Not sure about this one. At 100/1 Ed Miliband does at least have the advantage of being eligible, but I'm not particularly convinced it's value.

I think it's notable that Ed is back being Energy and Climate Secretary. I get the impression that this is the policy area he cares most about and that he's accepted the failure of his time as leader and wouldn't want to go back there.

You also have to consider that Labour Party rules would make a full contest very likely, while Starmer, or Rayner as his deputy, acted as a caretaker. If you ignore Labour Party rules you can just about imagine a scenario where Cabinet agrees on Ed as the safe pair of hands, but I'd have thought he would want to lose a leadership contest even less than become leader again - and the most likely outcome is that he would lose, because he lost in 2015, and he'd be up against younger Cabinet ministers like Streeting or Phillipson.

The use of it as a trading bet is much diminished when he isn't even listed on Betfair.

Superficially appealing, but a bad value bet is my view on this.

I’m asking for him to be added on the Betfair next PM/next Lab leader markets.
    Of course his brother is always amongst the first to be added!

PS There's another Ed that they should add to next PM too!

Ed Balls would be great
    Would he want it. He’s carved out a successful post politics career in TV.
    QTWTAIN!
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    FF43 said:

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

Also, usual caveat about margin of error so the main change since July Labour down and Reform the main beneficiaries thus far.
    edited September 26
    stodge said:

FF43 said:

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

Also, usual caveat about margin of error so the main change since July Labour down and Reform the main beneficiaries thus far.
    And a further caveat polls have almost without exception exaggerated the Reform vote share. Is the 18% a real increase since the election or just the normal overstatement?
    FF43 said:

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

Labour will be very happy with that.

Doing unpopular (but necessary) stuff.

A load of daft hacks pouring endless nonsense about frocks.

Labour still leading. Indeed up (MOE).

Funny old world!
    FF43 said:

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

I'd like to see a proper poll - Yougov need to get their finger out, the delay is absurd.

FF43 said:

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

CURRYGATE

DONKEYGATE

FROCKGATE

TRUSS

FF43 said:

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

I'd like to see a proper poll - Yougov need to get their finger out, the delay is absurd.
    Just ask @Leon - Unskewmaster General - to unskew it for you.

If you don’t like this poll, I have others.

Etc etc.
  • FF43 said:

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

CURRYGATE

DONKEYGATE

FROCKGATE

TRUSS
    Are you still auditioning for a job on TikTok?
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    TOPPING said:

Interesting. I can't think of a government of any stripe that has changed my life in any material way except for Cameron's Brexit one.

Many of them irritated the hell out of me. Particularly Thatcher's which involved having the piss taken out of me when I worked in various different countries as though I was responsible for the horrible woman. Her pro apartheid revolted me but it didn't directly affect me.

Or the Rwanda scheme or Braverman or Patel all of which I loathed. But nothing that actually made a significant difference.

FF43 said:

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

If Reform didn't exist, how would their vite share distribute among the others? Suspect the Tories would get less than half. Would be intetesting to have some polling evidence.
    Andy_JS said:

Why has Warsi resigned the Tory whip?

Look like it's to promote a book.
  • FF43 said:

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

Funny old world!
    At what point do we conclude that Starmer's Genie (the infinite wishes one, not Lord Alli) is back from an extended vacation?

Thirty percent is hardly a triumph, and there's the delay effect to consider. But if the otherlot can't get a lead after a week like this, when can they?

I still maintain that a government that is ahead in the polls between elections is a sinful government that isn't doing enough unpopular but necessary stuff.

hashtagstillathatcheritedeepdown
  • Cookie said:

FF43 said:

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

If Reform didn't exist, how would their vite share distribute among the others? Suspect the Tories would get less than half. Would be intetesting to have some polling evidence.
    Pre-election, so almost certainly overtaken by events, but the headline says it all:

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/49762-general-election-2024-reform-uk-voters-are-not-benign-toward-the-tories-they-are-belligerent

Reform UK are standing candidates in nearly all constituencies, and the data shows that even if they were to stand down just 36% of their voters say they would switch to the Conservatives. Instead, 6% would vote Labour, the same proportion would go Lib Dem, 4% would switch to the Greens, and 12% to another party. Fully a quarter (26%) simply would not vote at this election in a scenario where Reform UK were not fielding a candidate for their seat.

So a net gain for the Conservatives, probably enough to put them back in the lead, but you can't add 26 to 18 and get a Conservative win.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,723
    FF43 said:

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

Tories get the same lift as Conference-week Labour? Hmmm.

LibDems on the (water)slide...

• Robert Jenrick says what he wants to do, and why. He could be the most loathsome creep ever, but he says what he wants to do, and why he wants to do it. That puts him miles ahead of the rest, and those who 'cannot see the appeal' are deliberately dissembling because they dislike his politics, or plain stupid.

While I agree the other candidates are not... especially impressive... he is an utter bastard.

What he "wants to do" changes every 30 seconds by what is most personally advantageous to him at the time. Financially or politically. Anyone being sucked in to what he says is a fool - he would be advocating communism if he thought it would bring him power.

• SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,866

FF43 said:

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

CURRYGATE

DONKEYGATE

FROCKGATE

TRUSS
    Pugh

Pugh

Barney McGrew

Cuthbert

Dibble

TRUSS
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,904

Cookie said:

FF43 said:

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

Pre-election, so almost certainly overtaken by events, but the headline says it all:

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/49762-general-election-2024-reform-uk-voters-are-not-benign-toward-the-tories-they-are-belligerent

Reform UK are standing candidates in nearly all constituencies, and the data shows that even if they were to stand down just 36% of their voters say they would switch to the Conservatives. Instead, 6% would vote Labour, the same proportion would go Lib Dem, 4% would switch to the Greens, and 12% to another party. Fully a quarter (26%) simply would not vote at this election in a scenario where Reform UK were not fielding a candidate for their seat.

So a net gain for the Conservatives, probably enough to put them back in the lead, but you can't add 26 to 18 and get a Conservative win.
    Even if you could, they'd lose an equivalent number of voters to the Lib Dems and Labour, who are far closer politically to '24 Conservatives than Reform are.

I think the real danger to the Tories would be if Reform moderate their more extreme positions (particularly Trump).
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,631

Cookie said:

FF43 said:

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

No but, for a bit of fun, you can imagine some returns from Labour and a few from the Liberals, but some losses to Reform, leading to a three way tie in 2029. I think the modellers break at that point, we all make a bomb on election night, and then the world goes to hell. But we drink decent champagne during it.

The main conclusion when thinking about 2029, is that unlike Cameron 2010 there has been zero honeymoon fluffing up of the Labour numbers, and the unpopular bits are still to come.

I do worry for the country in 2029. I had hoped for at least stability if Labour won big the old fashioned way.

FF43 said:

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

Funny old world!
    At what point do we conclude that Starmer's Genie (the infinite wishes one, not Lord Alli) is back from an extended vacation?

Thirty percent is hardly a triumph, and there's the delay effect to consider. But if the otherlot can't get a lead after a week like this, when can they?

I still maintain that a government that is ahead in the polls between elections is a sinful government that isn't doing enough unpopular but necessary stuff.

hashtagstillathatcheritedeepdown
    Interestingly the populace rates Starmer's government down because it doesn't think said government is doing anything and therefore no better than the previous lot. If they knew it was actually doing a lot of potentially unpopular stuff would the Labour figure be lower?
  • FF43 said:

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

CURRYGATE

DONKEYGATE

FROCKGATE

TRUSS
    Pugh

Pugh

Barney McGrew

Cuthbert

Dibble

TRUSS
    They had to stop making the programmes after the Great Fire at Cresswell's Chigley Biscuit factory. Guess who was on duty that day.

(Bloody hell. While researching that, I discovered that the final episode was produced in 1969.)
    Eabhal said:

Cookie said:

FF43 said:

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

Even if you could, they'd lose an equivalent number of voters to the Lib Dems and Labour, who are far closer politically to '24 Conservatives than Reform are.

I think the real danger to the Tories would be if Reform moderate their more extreme positions (particularly Trump).
    I was thinking "if Reform weren't there" rather than whether the Tories could hoover up the Reform vote. Which as you point out has its own difficulties.
  • Yakima Herald (via Seattle Times) - Yakima County coroner accused of using dead people’s drugs and lying

Yakima police are accusing Yakima County Coroner Jim Curtice of evidence tampering, making false statements and official misconduct after he falsely maintained for more than two weeks that someone tried to poison him with drugs.

Curtice told Yakima police that an energy drink, his workout energy shake powder and water in an electric tea kettle were spiked with cocaine and fentanyl, and he was taken to the hospital with drugs in his system after sipping a drink.

His claims fell apart after failing a lie-detector test, according to a Yakima police report, and he admitted he had been snorting drugs he obtained from dead bodies in the course of his job for a couple of months. . . .