Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Will Ed Miliband’s time finally arrive? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,571
    Will Ed Miliband's time finally arrive
    Or will get his P 45?
  • Did anyone voting Labour know that they were voting for Lord Alli to be in charge?
  • Will Ed Miliband's time finally arrive
    Or will get his P 45?

Golden Oldie:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/may/11/milifan-prime-minister-ed-miliband

"I’ll always be a Milifan. Ed was the best prime minister we never had" - Abby Tomlinson
    "The rightwing smear against Ed Miliband angered me. But his bravery and integrity in the face of it was an inspiration"
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    Andy_JS said:

Why has Warsi resigned the Tory whip?

Didn't she say she was voting Labour before the election because of islamophobia?
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,527

Or will get his P 45?

It's a good start. The rest of the stanza awaits ...

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731

Yakima Herald (via Seattle Times) - Yakima County coroner accused of using dead people’s drugs and lying

Yakima police are accusing Yakima County Coroner Jim Curtice of evidence tampering, making false statements and official misconduct after he falsely maintained for more than two weeks that someone tried to poison him with drugs.

Curtice told Yakima police that an energy drink, his workout energy shake powder and water in an electric tea kettle were spiked with cocaine and fentanyl, and he was taken to the hospital with drugs in his system after sipping a drink.

His claims fell apart after failing a lie-detector test, according to a Yakima police report, and he admitted he had been snorting drugs he obtained from dead bodies in the course of his job for a couple of months. . . .

While here, cops sell on to wholesale dealers. Really.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/sep/25/detective-found-guilty-after-stealing-cocaine-and-giving-it-to-dealers
  • Did anyone voting Labour know that they were voting for Lord Alli to be in charge?

Lord Alli in da House!
  • Roger said:

Andy_JS said:

Didn't she say she was voting Labour before the election because of islamophobia?
    She does seem to be an islamist supporter like you
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,584
    Electoral Declaration timing crucial. SKS said he was at an address in Holborn & St Pancras on the say his nomination papers were signed.

Let's hope that stacks up better than the GCE lies or he has broken electoral law and is a gonner..

Worse still is a Streeting or Reeves Premiership.
  • Andy_JS said:

Islamophobia - allegedly.
  • Andy_JS said:

Islamophobia - allegedly.
    Maybe this is the reason

https://x.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1839367851091845479?t=vObi7EqB2zWzICLLRwVJNQ&s=19
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,902
    edited September 26
    Another good poll for Kamala Harris just released .

The latest Echelon Insights which is ranked highly on 538 has her up 52-45 in a head to head with Trump and up 49-44 in the full ballot .

• nico679 said:

The latest Echelon Insights which is ranked highly on 538 has her up 52-45 in a head to head with Trump and up 49-44 in the full ballot .

She is going to win and Trump will finally be over

nico679 said:

I very much hope you’re right . There’s a long way to go.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,865
    edited September 26

FF43 said:

More in Common poll with the usual caveat about polling so soon after an election

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)
    24-25/9 Change with 10-12/9 n= 2080

https://bsky.app/profile/luketryl.bsky.social/post/3l535drxwwe2c

Reform still cockblocking the Tories.
    CURRYGATE

DONKEYGATE

FROCKGATE

TRUSS
    Pugh

Pugh

Barney McGrew

Cuthbert

Dibble

TRUSS
    They had to stop making the programmes after the Great Fire at Cresswell's Chigley Biscuit factory. Guess who was on duty that day.

(Bloody hell. While researching that, I discovered that the final episode was produced in 1969.)
    No wonder when the nearest fire station is in Trumpton. Silly man building it in Chigley.

https://x.com/DSFireUpdates/status/1628394515563270146?lang=en-GB
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,226

Electoral Declaration timing crucial. SKS said he was at an address in Holborn & St Pancras on the say his nomination papers were signed.

Let's hope that stacks up better than the GCE lies or he has broken electoral law and is a gonner..

He is a Gooner. I don't think that's disputed.

And other than the Director's Box at the Emirates, SKS is not going anywhere. Sorry.

"It is with a heavy heart that I have today informed my whip and decided for now to no longer take the
    @Conservatives
    whip.
    This is a sad day for me.
    I am a Conservative and remain so but sadly the current Party are far removed from the Party I joined and served in Cabinet.
    My decision is a reflection of how far right my Party has moved and the hypocrisy and double standards in its treatment of different communities.
    A timely reminder of the issues that I raise in my book Muslims Don’t Matter"

https://x.com/SayeedaWarsi/status/1839346509684285668

Her title bears an uncanny resemblance to David Baddiels 'Jews don't count'!
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,274
    Roger said:

"It is with a heavy heart that I have today informed my whip and decided for now to no longer take the
    @Conservatives
    whip.
    I am a Conservative and remain so but sadly the current Party are far removed from the Party I joined and served in Cabinet.
    My decision is a reflection of how far right my Party has moved and the hypocrisy and double standards in its treatment of different communities.

He supplies one of the dustcover quotations, so presumably he doesn't mind.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,022
    Roger said:

@Conservatives
    whip.

I thought exactly the same. As if 'that was quite succesful - surely my minority is just as oppressed'.

Has Trump killed off the idea of 'A Good Loser' forever?
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,527

FF43 said:

More in Common poll with the usual caveat about polling so soon after an election

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

CURRYGATE

DONKEYGATE

FROCKGATE

TRUSS
    Pugh

Pugh

Barney McGrew

Cuthbert

Dibble

TRUSS
    "Time flies by when you're the driver of a train / Speeding into Trumpton with a cargo of cocaine".

Thankfully, no-one you have listed has ever taken an illicit substance.
    Roger said:

Has Trump killed off the idea of 'A Good Loser' forever?
    Rishi's doing alright on that score.
  • Has everyone in the whole world noticed that David Lammy is black so he knows how a slave feels? And go Ukraine
  • nico679 said:

IF he loses (yet again) in 2024, Donald Trump will remain ELIGIBLE under US Constitution to be elected POTUS.

He recently said that he didn't "think" he run again, but that's hardly a self-denying ordinance.

AND assuming Trump would be, as a pracical matter, unelectable let alone un-nominatable, would be as risky as betting in 1964 that Richard Nixon was finished as a potential candidate . . . or in 2004 that a DJT nomination/presidency was "obvioiusly" impossible.

nico679 said:

IF he loses (yet again) in 2024, Donald Trump will remain ELIGIBLE under US Constitution to be elected POTUS.

He recently said that he didn't "think" he run again, but that's hardly a self-denying ordinance.

AND assuming Trump would be, as a pracical matter, unelectable let alone un-nominatable, would be as risky as betting in 1964 that Richard Nixon was finished as a potential candidate . . . or in 2004 that a DJT nomination/presidency was "obvioiusly" impossible.
    Better to vote for him and get it over with then >:)

Has everyone in the whole world noticed that David Lammy is black so he knows how a slave feels? And go Ukraine

Do you want to elaborate? Is this your interpretation or his?
    MattW said:

FF43 said:

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

CURRYGATE

DONKEYGATE

FROCKGATE

TRUSS
    Pugh

Pugh

Barney McGrew

Cuthbert

Dibble

TRUSS
    They had to stop making the programmes after the Great Fire at Cresswell's Chigley Biscuit factory. Guess who was on duty that day.

(Bloody hell. While researching that, I discovered that the final episode was produced in 1969.)
    No wonder when the nearest fire station is in Trumpton. Silly man building it in Chigley.

https://x.com/DSFireUpdates/status/1628394515563270146?lang=en-GB
    That is really rather delightful.
  • Roger said:

Has everyone in the whole world noticed that David Lammy is black so he knows how a slave feels? And go Ukraine

Did you see his UN speech attacking Russia? He talked about his blackness and slaves, then mentioned Ukraine
  • Ian & Ian's dog - this update is for you

New York Times - Parts of Appalachia are under warnings for landslides in Helene’s wake.

The National Hurricane Center predicted a chance of “numerous significant landslides” across southern Appalachia through Friday in the wake of Hurricane Helene. The Blue Ridge Mountains could see an additional 15 to 20 inches of rain as Helene approaches, with some areas seeing up to 30 inches, or almost three feet, of rain. . . .

The areas at risk of extreme rainfall and flash flooding included parts of eastern Tennessee, northern Georgia, and where the western half of North Carolina meets South Carolina.

Asheville, N.C., was at the epicenter, said Carl Schreck, a climate scientist at North Carolina State University. But other cities like Greenville, Atlanta and Chattanooga, Tenn., were also at risk.

Between 3 p.m. on Wednesday and 7 a.m. on Thursday, Dr. Schreck had measured 6.5 inches of rain at his home in Asheville. That almost doubled his previous record of 3.5 inches over the past 12 years of measuring daily rainfall.

“In the past, when we’ve had major rainfall events there certainly have been landslides,” Dr. Schreck said.

The big plume of warm, moist air that produced so much rain is called a predecessor event, or a storm that can come before a hurricane still hundreds or thousands of miles away, according to Dr. Schreck. That storm soaked soils and could make landslides even more likely as Helene brings rain and hazardous gusts of winds on Thursday and Friday.

At a news conference on Thursday, Gov. Roy Cooper of North Carolina called Hurricane Helene an “unusually dangerous storm.”

He warned residents in the western part of the state that they could see more than a foot of rain, which was likely to “cause significant flash flooding, landslides, damaging debris flows, slope failures across steep terrain and river flooding.”

Over the last decade, flooding from extreme rainfall has been the deadliest cause of fatalities in the U.S. linked to tropical cyclones, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Roger said:

Did you see his UN speech attacking Russia? He talked about his blackness and slaves, then mentioned Ukraine
    OK. No I missed it
  • NC Gov Roy Cooper provides updates on Hurricane Helene impact with North Carolina (3 hours ago)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD9RKbkGY-U
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,704

FF43 said:

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

Tories get the same lift as Conference-week Labour? Hmmm.

LibDems on the (water)slide...
    ...Davey laughing his head off at the tories and labour...
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,052
    Roger said:

@Conservatives
    whip.

Christians don't Care
    Buddhists don't Budge
    Confucianists don't Count
    Shintoists don't Shift
    Greek Orthodoxts don't give a s[that's enough - Ed]
  • Roger said:

Roger said:

OK. No I missed it
    Ike Ijeh
    @ikeijeh
    ·
    Sep 25
    Lammy is at the UN to defend Ukraine's identity, not his.

He is an atomic mushroom cloud of embarrassment.

https://x.com/ikeijeh/status/1838919683405169069

I don't know who Ike Ijeh is, but I doubt he's a white far right racist

Roger said:

Roger said:

OK. No I missed it
    Ike Ijeh
    @ikeijeh
    ·
    Sep 25

Ike ijeh is like Calvin Robinson but blacker. Lammy is a twerp though.
  • nico679 said:

You are best placed on this but practically I just do not see Trump standing again, though I accept I could be wrong
    Roger said:

Roger said:

OK. No I missed it
    I only knew him as the guy who posted the "where are the police???"' tweet. I've only just realised he is now Foreign Secretary.

There's hope for me yet! I could still be PM! I managed to dress myself unaided this morning!
  • Roger said:

Roger said:

OK. No I missed it
    Ike Ijeh
    @ikeijeh
    ·
    Sep 25

No, but he was a Brexit Party candidate in 2019.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,052
    * Shattered Nation (Danny Dorling): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAJIJ2-8a8c
    * How the UK is becoming a ‘third-world’ economy (CaspianReport): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTWDzMjgsEY
    * Britain is a dump (BritMonkey): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5aJ-57_YsQ
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,584
    Have you ever met this bloke SKS fans?

https://x.com/mrmarkdolan/status/1838964768591220937
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,527

Roger said:

Roger said:

OK. No I missed it
    Ike Ijeh
    @ikeijeh
    ·
    Sep 25

Well good for him!

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,734
    His manifesto should come with a similar disclaimer.

I've read the FAQ on the Trump watches, and it is glorious
    https://x.com/BGrueskin/status/1839369248403316788
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,418
    ohnotnow said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

OK. No I missed it
    I only knew him as the guy who posted the "where are the police???"' tweet. I've only just realised he is now Foreign Secretary.

There's hope for me yet! I could still be PM! I managed to dress myself unaided this morning!
    Overqualified
  • Roger said:

Considering that most UN members AND their representatives to the UN are predominately non-White, perhaps Lamy referencing "blackness and slaves" in advocating for Ukraine is NOT as cockamamie as you might think?

Pitching one's arguments when possible to one's audience, is certain smart debating . . . and politics.
    viewcode said:

Roger said:

@Conservatives
    whip.

Christians don't Care
    Buddhists don't Budge
    Confucianists don't Count
    Shintoists don't Shift
    Greek Orthodoxts don't give a s[that's enough - Ed]
    I remember a R4 thing many years ago. Asking various religious leaders about local modern miracles.

Christian guy : "It is proof of Jesus love for us and the word of God"

Muslim guy : "It is proof of the teaching of the Prophet and the word of God"

Hindu guy : "I've no idea what's happening, but isn't it marvellous!"
  • nico679 said:

You are best placed on this but practically I just do not see Trump standing again, though I accept I could be wrong
    Certainly hope you are correct! Just NOT ready to assume you are . . . quite yet.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,660
    geoffw said:

Or will get his P 45?

Will it be Phillipson getting promotion?
    Or will the electorate sneer at the notion?

Roger said:

Considering that most UN members AND their representatives to the UN are predominately non-White, perhaps Lamy referencing "blackness and slaves" in advocating for Ukraine is NOT as cockamamie as you might think?

Pitching one's arguments when possible to one's audience, is certain smart debating . . . and politics.
    I wonder what the best British English equivalent of cockamamie is. Laughable maybe? Risible? Paper-thin? Harlequinade?

Selebian said:

viewcode said:

The verbal version of that Speccie article: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR_zkLYpd6I

Cleverly speaks best, in that format, but his answer to the 'naughty' question came across a bit dour.

Tugendhat's naughty answer is even worse on seeing it. Badenoch's refusal was done with a lot more charm on screen than comes out from reading the page. Jenrick actually makes you warm to him with his answer.

But Cleverly comes across as generally the most human/normal and maybe with an ability to think about things, whether or not he actually has any answers.
    In the printed form, they are all just themselves.

Cleverly offers nothing, absolutely nothing. No policies beyond that which just got the Tories utterly gubbed. He talks about earning trust and delivering - how do you do that from opposition? His political career was weak and trend driven. He'd promise little and deliver less.

Kemi also says nothing, but says it very well. That's her political career in microcosm too - great talker, very little doing stuff.

Tug end 'I was once in the miltary' - OK.

Robert Jenrick says what he wants to do, and why. He could be the most loathsome creep ever, but he says what he wants to do, and why he wants to do it. That puts him miles ahead of the rest, and those who 'cannot see the appeal' are deliberately dissembling because they dislike his politics, or plain stupid.
    Don't you think the Disney cartoon episode might repulse even the average non psychopath?
    viewcode said:

* Shattered Nation (Danny Dorling): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAJIJ2-8a8c
    * How the UK is becoming a ‘third-world’ economy (CaspianReport): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTWDzMjgsEY
    * Britain is a dump (BritMonkey): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5aJ-57_YsQ

Is this just queuing up the list for Saturdays Moscow troll?
  • carnforth said:

nico679 said:

Better to vote for him and get it over with then >:)
    No thank you! For one thing, however I vote, WA State is gonna go for Harris-Walz, methinks.

And I am NOT alone.
  • Roger said:

Roger said:

OK. No I missed it
    Ike Ijeh
    @ikeijeh
    ·
    Sep 25

Did Lammy talk about being black and knowing how it feels to be a slave before and more than he talked about Ukraine?
    edited September 26

Roger said:

Roger said:

OK. No I missed it
    Ike Ijeh
    @ikeijeh
    ·
    Sep 25

He comes across as a chump. He's a former Brexit Party candidate.

Ike Ijeh @ikeijeh 17h
    Would never have happened were an Elizabeth still on the throne. Historically, female monarchs are better than female chancellors at repelling Spanish invasions.

https://x.com/ikeijeh/status/1839130033614422042

Historically ... female Chancellors.

All the commentary has been about how she's the first one.
    carnforth said:

Roger said:

I wonder what the best British English equivalent of cockamamie is. Laughable maybe? Risible? Paper-thin? Harlequinade?
    'Spectator article'?
  • Nigelb said:

His manifesto should come with a similar disclaimer.

I've read the FAQ on the Trump watches, and it is glorious
    https://x.com/BGrueskin/status/1839369248403316788

"Takes a licking . . . and soon stops ticking"?
    For those who think a Trump victory would be good for Ukraine, I would suggest reading his remarks from yesterday:

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-ukraine-putin-zelenskyy-0f4d539aa73a943474d779716e5fe42a
  • MattW said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

OK. No I missed it
    Ike Ijeh
    @ikeijeh
    ·
    Sep 25

Ike Ijeh @ikeijeh 17h
    Would never have happened were an Elizabeth still on the throne. Historically, female monarchs are better than female chancellors at repelling Spanish invasions.

Who cares about Ike

Did Lammy bore on about his ethnicity and slavery when he was supposed to be talking about Ukraine?

geoffw said:

Or will get his P 45?

Was Lammy's accession cause a big fuss?
    Or will he be dropped off at Job Centre Plus?
    Roger said:

Selebian said:

viewcode said:

The verbal version of that Speccie article: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR_zkLYpd6I

Cleverly speaks best, in that format, but his answer to the 'naughty' question came across a bit dour.

Tugendhat's naughty answer is even worse on seeing it. Badenoch's refusal was done with a lot more charm on screen than comes out from reading the page. Jenrick actually makes you warm to him with his answer.

But Cleverly comes across as generally the most human/normal and maybe with an ability to think about things, whether or not he actually has any answers.
    In the printed form, they are all just themselves.

Cleverly offers nothing, absolutely nothing. No policies beyond that which just got the Tories utterly gubbed. He talks about earning trust and delivering - how do you do that from opposition? His political career was weak and trend driven. He'd promise little and deliver less.

Kemi also says nothing, but says it very well. That's her political career in microcosm too - great talker, very little doing stuff.

Tug end 'I was once in the miltary' - OK.

Robert Jenrick says what he wants to do, and why. He could be the most loathsome creep ever, but he says what he wants to do, and why he wants to do it. That puts him miles ahead of the rest, and those who 'cannot see the appeal' are deliberately dissembling because they dislike his politics, or plain stupid.
    Don't you think the Disney cartoon episode might repulse even the average non psychopath?
    No.
    DavidL said:

Sorry if I am behind but this seems a very strange thing to do: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c756d56d2dro

Musk not invited to a conference about encouraging investment in the UK. Crazy. The man is nuts but he is also a potentially huge investor. Its almost as childish as Lammy's behaviour at the UN.

BTW, I am currently sitting on 29,999 likes. Just saying.

Not if I delete a whole bunch of your old liked posts...
  • rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Sorry if I am behind but this seems a very strange thing to do: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c756d56d2dro

Musk not invited to a conference about encouraging investment in the UK. Crazy. The man is nuts but he is also a potentially huge investor. Its almost as childish as Lammy's behaviour at the UN.

You should extend the courtesy to the idiots who flagged me for accurately describing Lammy's first UN speech

geoffw said:

Or will get his P 45?

Will Reeves get the top job, and move down the road?
    Or will Starmer endorse someone different - the toad!
  • MJWMJW Posts: 1,634

Roger said:

Yes indeed. Lammy can be a bit of a prat but it's probably a decent strategy given some of the most pro-Russia nations outside the new axis of evil are sub-Saharan African ones who quite like Russia's no strings, no questions asked approach to money and corruption, and resent the post-empire/WW2 international settlement.
    edited September 26
    ohnotnow said:

carnforth said:

Roger said:

'Spectator article'?
    Difficult to find one that has the edge of craziness as the American term.

Perhaps "harebrained", or "crackpot", or "pea-brained"?

Is there anything frm Yiddish or Anglo-Saxon that could apply? It needs to have sharp-cornered syllables.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759

FF43 said:

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

Labour will be very happy with that.

Doing unpopular (but necessary) stuff.

A load of daft hacks pouring endless nonsense about frocks.

Labour still leading. Indeed up (MOE).

Funny old world!
    Labour are doing stuff that’s unpopular, but it’s hard to see any long term advantage.
    rcs1000 said:

For those who think a Trump victory would be good for Ukraine, I would suggest reading his remarks from yesterday:

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-ukraine-putin-zelenskyy-0f4d539aa73a943474d779716e5fe42a

It’s like the Tory politicians who allegedly support Ukraine but also want Trump to win . You can’t have both . Any Tory politician supporting Trump is therefore on Putin’s side and a total disgrace .
    MattW said:

ohnotnow said:

carnforth said:

Roger said:

'Spectator article'?

Is there anything frm Yiddish or Anglo-Saxon that could apply? It needs to have sharp-cornered syllables.
    Crackpot's reasonably close.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,322
    rcs1000 said:

For both sides there is an element of hanging on until the outcome of the US election is known. If Harris wins the pressure building on Putin might become unsustainable. So many lives, so much treasure and increasing damage to Russia itself. If Trump wins the pressure on Zelensky to reach a peace deal whilst he still has some support will become huge.

geoffw said:

Or will get his P 45?

Will Reeves get the top job, and move down the road?
    Or will Starmer endorse someone different - the toad!
    Will we all witness the trumph of Streeting?
    Or switch on the telly to watch his unseating.
    rcs1000 said:

Trump is disgusting.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,351
    FF43 said:

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

Labour's probably going to be on 25% within 6 months of the general election.
    I don’t think many people will miss Lady Warsi
  • carnforth said:

MattW said:

ohnotnow said:

carnforth said:

Roger said:

'Spectator article'?

You live in north Yorkshire?
    nico679 said:

rcs1000 said:

It’s like the Tory politicians who allegedly support Ukraine but also want Trump to win . You can’t have both . Any Tory politician supporting Trump is therefore on Putin’s side and a total disgrace .
    No, they are just stupid. It is not only the White Queen who can believe 6 impossible things before breakfast.
    edited September 26
    carnforth said:

MattW said:

ohnotnow said:

carnforth said:

Roger said:

'Spectator article'?

It needs to hint at something that has gone beyond eccentric, to teetering on the edge - without saying it.

"I have carrot juice on my cornflakes. My Aunt Flo lived to 93, and she died the day she stopped drinking half a pint of carrot juice with her breakfast."

The kind of idea that could have been the basis of a plot for the Goodies, translated to be a proposal for real life. Or perhaps that has escaped from Last of the Summer Wine.
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Trump is disgusting.
    Absolutely. And no friend of Ukraine's either.
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Oh, oh, you're so harsh. My self esteem might collapse.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

Funny old world!
    Labour are doing stuff that’s unpopular, but it’s hard to see any long term advantage.
    After 14 years of the Conservatives not doing any "stuff", I can't see the long term advantage of that either.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,603
    rcs1000 said:

I would suggest medication instead.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,128
    Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

Funny old world!
    The risk is he's misread the electorate: he becomes unpopular and stays unpopular.

Governments that win elections become unpopular and then win reelection generally do so because they've set out a vision, secured a mandate, executed some difficult choices to further it, and then some of the fruits of that vision are eventually realised.

That's what leads to swingback. It's not an inevitable force of nature.
    edited September 26

carnforth said:

MattW said:

ohnotnow said:

carnforth said:

Roger said:

'Spectator article'?

You live in north Yorkshire?
    I have never been to North Yorkshire. I have watched enough tens of thousands of hours of 1950-2024 US TV to have some sense of what Cockamamie means. But I defer to you as a genuine American, of course...

Carnforth, of course, is in Lancashire, unlike Crackpot. Never been there either.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,714
    DavidL said:

Now you're merely nearly 10k likes short of 40,000....
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

Funny old world!
    The risk is he's misread the electorate: he becomes unpopular and stays unpopular.

Governments that win elections become unpopular and then win reelection generally do so because they've set out a vision, secured a mandate, executed some difficult choices to further it, and then some of the fruits of that vision are eventually realised.

That's what leads to swingback. It's not an inevitable force of nature.
    Not sure that's true. However unpopular a Government may be, their chances of re-election are increased by the quality of the opposition facing them (2024 is only a slight exception to the rule). The Conservative win in 1992 was undoubtedly related to the inability of Kinnock to convince he would be a good Prime Minister.

The key for the Conservatives by 2028/9 is to be that good quality opposition with a clear vision of how Britain in the 2030s is going to be governed and what kind of country and society it will be. There's zero evidence of that currently (which is no surprise - it's very early) but this year's winner has to use the 2025 Conference to start enunciating their vision. That vision may of course be very different to what they say next week which is about winning the current leadership election.
  • DavidL said:

Now you're merely nearly 10k likes short of 40,000....
    But how many gallons/litres short of a full tank/whatever-you-UKers-call-that?
  • Hurricane Helene is turning out to be extremly serious.

NYT Update (10 min ago) - Even many storm veterans chose to evacuate.

Here’s the latest.
    A two-story-high wall of water is forecast to swallow a large stretch of the Florida coastline overnight as Hurricane Helene rages ashore after sundown. Already rain and heavy surf is pounding much of the state’s Gulf Coast, with forecasters warning of a “nightmare” scenario for the communities along the Big Bend region [south of Tallahassee].

Up to 20 feet of storm surge is predicted — an amount exceeded on the Gulf Coast in recent decades only by Hurricane Katrina, which hit Louisiana and Mississippi in 2005. Cities across the Southeast, including Atlanta, will also face pounding rain and flooding after Helene makes landfall, likely sometime before midnight on Thursday.

SSI - we've already had reports from Ian re: situation in western NC, already affected by the massive storm in far-off Gulf of Mexico, and where officials, residents AND visitors are preparing (hopefully) for worse.
  • MattW said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

OK. No I missed it
    Ike Ijeh
    @ikeijeh
    ·
    Sep 25

Ike Ijeh @ikeijeh 17h

Who cares about Ike

Did Lammy bore on about his ethnicity and slavery when he was supposed to be talking about Ukraine?
    I rather liked seeing Lammy sticking it to Putin at the UN. Not sure what has upset people about that. Starmer also talked about Russian soldiers being treated as meat. About time we had some plain speaking.
    Lammy made his skin colour the main topic

It was fucking weird

Sensible, sane and measured DavidL criticised the same speech as racist idiot Livermore

Roger's few remaining brain cells must be struggling
    rcs1000 said:

He makes Chamberlain and Halifax appear resolute opponents of warmongering dictators.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539

MattW said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

OK. No I missed it
    Ike Ijeh
    @ikeijeh
    ·
    Sep 25

Ike Ijeh @ikeijeh 17h

Who cares about Ike

I rather liked seeing Lammy sticking it to Putin at the UN. Not sure what has upset people about that. Starmer also talked about Russian soldiers being treated as meat. About time we had some plain speaking.

It was fucking weird

Sensible, sane and measured DavidL criticised the same speech as racist idiot Livermore

Well I saw a 6 or 7 minute clip which I assume was the whole thing? He mentioned slavery at the end which undoubtedly highlighted something not apparent to much of the global south. That Russia is a racist white empire. As SSI said you tailor your message to the audience. I don't see anything wrong with that.
  • MJWMJW Posts: 1,634
    Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

🌹LAB 30% (+1),
    🌳CON 26% (+1)
    ➡️REF UK 18% (NC)
    🔶LIB DEM 13% (-1)
    💚GRN 8% (NC)
    🟡SNP 3% (NC)

Funny old world!
    You can see the long term advantage to the most howled about. Means testing the WFA frees up a bit of money by cutting something that has become a bit of an anachronism and shibboleth politicians of all colours were terrified of scrapping due to the power of the grey vote. You can tell that because it's stayed the same for 20 years while the amount paid in the state pension has more than doubled over that time. At some point you'd have to increase or scrap it.

It means longer term, all other things being equal, that bit of freed up money can be targeted at another group Labour wants to feel a bit better off who generally now vote for them when the time comes. Or thrown at a problem they need a quick fix for.

But it obviously upsets people because it was so emotively branded by Gordon Brown when it was really something of an accountancy trick to allow Labour to do something on pensioner poverty when they got in power without screwing around with uprating.
    VP Harris points out that "there are some in my country who [want] to force Ukraine to give up large parts of its sovereign territory...these proposals are the same as those of Putin. Let us be be clear. They are not proposals for peace. Instead, they are proposals for surrender"
    https://x.com/atrupar/status/1839394402365510135

Note that Zelensky asked to meet with both Trump and Speaker Johnson.
    Both refused.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

He makes Chamberlain and Halifax appear resolute opponents of warmongering dictators.
    He's more akin to Stalin. Quite happy to do a deal with the Nazis.

MattW said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

OK. No I missed it
    Ike Ijeh
    @ikeijeh
    ·
    Sep 25

Ike Ijeh @ikeijeh 17h

Who cares about Ike

When you said "meat", were you actually talking about sausages?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,603

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

I'd say personally he's more akin to Brezhnev. A senile old grifter stoked to the eyeballs on drugs with delusions of his own vast omnicompetence and personal popularity.
  • MattW said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

OK. No I missed it
    Ike Ijeh
    @ikeijeh
    ·
    Sep 25

Ike Ijeh @ikeijeh 17h

Who cares about Ike

It was fucking weird

Well I saw a 6 or 7 minute clip which I assume was the whole thing? He mentioned slavery at the end which undoubtedly highlighted something not apparent to much of the global south. That Russia is a racist white empire. As SSI said you tailor your message to the audience. I don't see anything wrong with that.
    I think it would probably help even more if he addressed the UN in pidgin
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,601

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

And we were quite happy to deal with Stalin.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,212

@Conservatives
    whip.

Blah blah wail moan fucking blah oh btw here's a plug for my book

Go away, Sayeeda
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    Sean_F said:

I don’t think many people will miss Lady Warsi

Her main thing for years has been slagging off her own party on The Last Leg and lapping up the adulation of the packed audience of lefties.