Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Good news for family values conservatives, they were right – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,032
edited September 18 in General
Good news for family values conservatives, they were right – politicalbetting.com

This week’s column is all about marriage, and brings good news ?Today’s newlyweds can – perhaps surprisingly – expect to stay together longer than their parents.1/3@thetimes? https://t.co/TMbSECkGoB pic.twitter.com/yj6NxQdnFT

Read the full story here

Comments

• Apple and Samsung need to spot the opportunity for a sales pitch.
    100% explosive free.
    Pop it in your pocket without the worry of losing your Henry Halls.
    Text and keep your fingers intact.
    Phone and keep your eyeballs in your head.
  • Apple and Samsung need to spot the opportunity for a sales pitch.
    100% explosive free.

Nope, Samsung cannot say that, they had the original exploding phone.

https://www.wired.com/2017/01/why-the-samsung-galaxy-note-7-kept-exploding/
  • Whatever company makes small scanners for explosives is going to make a fortune.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,170

Whatever company makes small scanners for explosives is going to make a fortune.

Next step - explosives in the explosives scanner.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,139

Apple and Samsung need to spot the opportunity for a sales pitch.
    100% explosive free.

Huawei's new advertising campaign promises that "at least 80% are explosive free!"
  • Pro_Rata said:

Whatever company makes small scanners for explosives is going to make a fortune.

Or "defective" scanners.... wasn't there a scandal of a company selling scanners to Iraq that were basically empty boxes?
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,468
    Pro_Rata said:

No, the next step is that the NHS will find they're treating lots of recently approved legal immigrants with relatively recent groin injuries.
  • Pro_Rata said:

Or "defective" scanners.... wasn't there a scandal of a company selling scanners to Iraq that were basically empty boxes?
    Mossad, what are they like?
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,160
    Solar panels now exploding according to Sky
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,312
    I'm in the 2015 cohort in that graph (and in the 95%). The data are interestingly out of date, only going up to 2020.
    Omnium said:

Pro_Rata said:

No, the next step is that the NHS will find they're treating lots of recently approved legal immigrants with relatively recent groin injuries.
    Hard to argue, after this, that Hezbollah operatives are not facing persecution in their home country...
  • If exploding pagers and mobiles become a thing it would make air travel even more of a hassle.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,899

WTF

It's like a cartoon
    Re the three rings, perhaps you should have followed the French model: Engagement Ring, Wedding Ring, Philandering :wink: (although I'm not sure it necessarily has to happen in that order!)

If exploding pagers and mobiles become a thing it would make air travel even more of a hassle.

You make an extremely good point. If there were thousands of these things then some would have gone through airport checks.

Well, the sky should be in a good position to observe!
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,367
    edited September 18
    Selebian said:

Re the three rings, perhaps you should have followed the French model: Engagement Ring, Wedding Ring, Philandering :wink: (although I'm not sure it necessarily has to happen in that order!)

I did follow the French model.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,150
    edited September 18
    Is the explosive used picked up by airport scanners?
  • DopermeanDopermean Posts: 241
    Main conclusion from that is Brits are shit at long-term relationships.
    Though the question is ambiguous, children could be living with both parents, just not at the same time.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,130

If exploding pagers and mobiles become a thing it would make air travel even more of a hassle.

It’s only Hezbollah’s pagers and walkie-talkies exploding.

There’s precisely zero chance that popular Western mobile phones, which are packaged as tightly as Formula 1 cars, can be modified to be explosive. At least other than the famous Samsung Note 7, which had dodgy batteries installed in the factory.

Selebian said:

Touché
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,284

Selebian said:

Did she 'follow' you back?

Apt day to be reading this.

Our 31st wedding anniversary today. 34 years to the day since we met. Had a fantastic day in sun drenched Lincoln.

Congratulations Mr & Mrs Tyndall, a great achievement. You’re either older than I thought you were, or got married very young indeed!
    edited September 18
    Sandpit said:

It’s only Hezbollah’s pagers and walkie-talkies exploding.

There’s precisely zero chance that popular Western mobile phones, which are packaged as tightly as Formula 1 cars, can be modified to be explosive. At least other than the famous Samsung Note 7, which had dodgy batteries installed in the factory.
    There was the terrorist scheme a few years ago of putting explosives in printers and insert them into global airfreight network. The weak link is people / packages arriving from countries with corruption problems / far less strict security checks.
  • Selebian said:

She did, sadly it was Apple that was responsible for everybody finding out.
  • "Just because we can do something, doesn't mean that we should" is how I feel about the Israeli exploding tech malarkey.
    It's nightmarish, the sort of thing you can read in a Kindle Unlimited novel about a near future where the Chinese decide they need some sort of non-nuke first strike on the US.
    Remind me, where do we get a lot of our tech made nowadays?

Selebian said:

No, it was Mr Eagles and his lack of understanding of technology, that led to ‘everybody’ finding out.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,006
    edited September 18

Pro_Rata said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADE_651
  • Sandpit said:

Our 31st wedding anniversary today. 34 years to the day since we met. Had a fantastic day in sun drenched Lincoln.

Congratulations Mr & Mrs Tyndall, a great achievement. You’re either older than I thought you were, or got married very young indeed!
    Oh I am considerably older than you thought. Three score next year.
  • Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

No, it was Mr Eagles and his lack of understanding of technology, that led to ‘everybody’ finding out.
    It amuses my friends and colleagues that Mr Apple himself was hoist by his own Apple.

Gratz, from a near-permanent bachelor

"Just because we can do something, doesn't mean that we should" is how I feel about the Israeli exploding tech malarkey.
    It's nightmarish, the sort of thing you can read in a Kindle Unlimited novel about a near future where the Chinese decide they need some sort of non-nuke first strike on the US.

If the Israelis can effectively eliminate Hezbollah with one devious but genius strike, with minimal collateral damage, then that is an outcome much to be desired

Hezbollah are not quite as evil as Hamas, but they are still pretty evil. And they have been randomly shelling northern Israel for months, making a chunk of the country literally uninhabitable

There is a way for them to stop all this: sue for peace, stop shelling Israel

That is also one step to getting Israel to stop its abhorrent brutality in Gaza

Pro_Rata said:

Yes, it was a British company that sold an IED scanner that was a complete fraud.
    edited September 18
    I wonder why Israel didn't do the same with Hamas operatives. They could have done the Anom phone scheme, have an comprised Hamas person setup a connect with somebody willing to smuggle in secure phones / pagers...
  • CookieCookie Posts: 12,892
    On thread: correlation <> causation.

Cause and effect is the wrong way round here: a relationship doesn't suddenly become happy and stable because of a wedding. Relationships which are happy and stable are more likely to incline their participants towards a wedding.

I'm a big enthusiast for stable long-term relationships. The model has done me very well. But we're married because the relationship works for us, rather than the other way around.

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,575
    Leon said:

"Just because we can do something, doesn't mean that we should" is how I feel about the Israeli exploding tech malarkey.

If the Israelis can effectively eliminate Hezbollah with one devious but genius strike, with minimal collateral damage, then that is an outcome much to be desired

Hezbollah are not quite as evil as Hamas, but they are still pretty evil. And they have been randomly shelling northern Israel for months, making a chunk of the country literally uninhabitable

There is a way for them to stop all this: sue for peace, stop shelling Israel

That is also one step to getting Israel to stop its abhorrent brutality in Gaza
    The next stage will be to have TVs programmed to explode whilst people are watching news reports that glorify Hamas and Hizbollah violence against Israel.

Or LibDem PPBs...
    I don't believe 100% of Italian children born to married parents are living with both at the age of 12.

Especially as Italy has quite a high divorce rate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divorce_demography
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,575
    Only married 12 years, but together 31.

Started dating my wife in August 1962 as a result of being drawn together in the Edinburgh inter office mixed doubles tennis, (she was a very good tennis player) then engaged in Princess Street gardens in 1963 followed by our wedding in 1964

62 years later we have our three children, 5 grandchildren, who have a couple of dogs and a cat, and this year Charles and Camilla sent us a personally signed 60th birthday card and we had a wonderful family celebration

I would just comment that the early years were a struggle, as most young couples find, not least because my wife stayed at home looking after the children so no second income and her pension is only £5,200 pa as a result of staying at home

We had our ups and downs but the last 20 years, and especially since I retired, we have never been closer and I hope those married or in partnership experience a long , happy and fulfilling time together because one day you will wake up and say where have all the years gone but cherish all the memories that accrued over the decades

Well done Big G and well done Mr Tyndall, who I'm sure inspired the post.

I'm impressed you mentioned the cat!

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,526
    https://x.com/alexwickham/status/1836380388564029933

NEW: Waheed Alli profile @BloombergUK

*he’s still attending No10 meetings despite having pass removed
    *close relationship with Sue Gray makes him ever-present figure
    *he’s donated more than £575,000 to Labour politicians in 4 years
    *intimate donor dinners at his Mayfair home
    *lavish late night pool parties with Cabinet ministers at his Kent mansion
    *he’s the donor to go to when Labour politicians need a suit, loan or birthday party paid for
    *£14,000 for ‘events’ for Bridget Phillipson shortly before her 40th bday
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,495
    The BBCs hot take on the latest out of Lebanon is “Was this an own goal by Israel?”.

*he’s the donor to go to when Labour politicians need a suit, loan or birthday party paid for

How can Labour be THIS venal, greedy and stupid? It beggars belief. And then Labour would steal belief from the beggar anyway

I wonder why Israel didn't do the same with Hamas operatives. They could have done the Anom phone scheme, have an comprised Hamas person setup a connect with somebody willing to smuggle in secure phones / pagers...

All sorts of people are now busily ditching pagers. Israel (one presumes) now has a certain fix on hundreds of previously unconfirmed suspects.
  • The BBCs hot take on the latest out of Lebanon is “Was this an own goal by Israel?”.

Is this Jeremy Bowen by any chance?
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,338
    Wait. Posts are now appearing back in the right order. When did that happen?

PS Well done RCS, TSE or whoever sorted it!
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,993

Started dating my wife in August 1962 as a result of being drawn together in the Edinburgh inter office mixed doubles tennis, (she was a very good tennis player) then engaged in Princess Street gardens in 1963 followed by our wedding in 1964

62 years later we have our three children, 5 grandchildren, who have a couple of dogs and a cat, and this year Charles and Camilla sent us a personally signed 60th birthday card and we had a wonderful family celebration

I would just comment that the early years were a struggle, as most young couples find, not least because my wife stayed at home looking after the children so no second income and her pension is only £5,200 pa as a result of staying at home

We had our ups and downs but the last 20 years, and especially since I retired, we have never been closer and I hope those married or in partnership experience a long , happy and fulfilling time together because one day you will wake up and say where have all the years gone but cherish all the memories that accrued over the decades

What a lovely post.

I suppose that your travels play a large part in your fond memories? I'm guessing they will for me too one day, which is why I'm keen on videos (travelogues) of our holidays and adventures. They are rather anally organised on a hard drive attached to the TV much to the amusement of my children.

One day I'll put my feet up and revel in those times.

Spending money on intangible experiences is far more valuable than spending money on tangible things.

Since youve missed this mornings fun, SKS is a sleaze bucket
    edited September 18
    Leon said:

How can Labour be THIS venal, greedy and stupid? It beggars belief. And then Labour would steal belief from the beggar anyway
    What is crazier is Mandy / Blair have been advising Starmer, what got them in loads of trouble other than Iraq....you would have thought they would say if you pitch whiter than white...and ditch that all for some free clobber.

The BBCs hot take on the latest out of Lebanon is “Was this an own goal by Israel?”.

Was winning the World Cup a tactical blunder by Argentina?
    Leon said:

Haha. Well it does sometimes happen.

Was winning Brexit a tactical blunder by Johnson? Or was it a massive strategic f*ck-up?
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,200
    Leon said:

Corbyn wouldn't do it!
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,293

"£575,000 to Labour politicians in 4 years"

Note Politicians, not the party.

Classic buying influence.
    edited September 18

Leon said:

Haha. Well it does sometimes happen.

Was winning Brexit a tactical blunder by Johnson? Or was it a massive strategic f*ck-up?
    For him persoanally, got him to be PM and a massive majority, so no. Before Brexit vote he had little chance of becoming PM.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,495
    edited September 18

Frank Gardner. Apparently the timing is all wrong and they should have waited until a different time etc etc (oh and by the way they’re probably breaking international law (!!!!)). A rather classic example of Beeb-itis.

Leon said:

What is crazier is Mandy / Blair have been advising Starmer, what got them in loads of trouble other than Iraq....you would have thought they would say if you pitch whiter than white...and ditch that all for some free clobber.
    Wouldnt their advice be more like "fill up your boots "
  • Stocky said:

What a lovely post.

I suppose that your travels play a large part in your fond memories? I'm guessing they will for me too one day, which is why I'm keen on videos (travelogues) of our holidays and adventures. They are rather anally organised on a hard drive attached to the TV much to the amusement of my children.

One day I'll put my feet up and revel in those times.

Spending money on intangible experiences is far more valuable than spending money on tangible things.
    Thank you

Our travel started when our children were young as we drove across Europe, even to Venice [not without stops though] with our children on our back seat and they talk of those memories to this day and indeed replicate them with their children

The catalyst for our worldwide travel was our eldest emigration to New Zealand in 2003 and as we visited him and his partner over the next several years we always travelled a different way and took the opportunity of visits to Japan, South Africa, and China

We only went on cruises that took us to interesting places and rarely socialised on the ships

It was our choice to spend money on travel and we have never regretted any of it and the memories sustain us
    edited September 18

Frank Gardner. Apparently the timing is all wrong and they should have waited until a different time etc etc. A rather classic example of Beeb-itis.
    Except it has already been reported that 2 terrorists had raised suspicions about their pagers. Israel already made it known it was use it or lose it time. And always a limited window as somebody at some point is going to have one taken for a repairs, gets in an accident and it goes off, goes through security that discovers it, etc. So moronic take from Gardner.
    edited September 18

Since youve missed this mornings fun, SKS is a sleaze bucket
    Thanks for the summary. Very succinct.

Saw your namesake's memorial stone in the crypt of St Paul's last week btw, nearly posted a pic of it on here.

I was struck by the fact that all the British military leaders commemorated there (and there are quite a few) were born within about 10 years of each other in the 1880s. I guess it makes sense on reflection but it did seem remarkable.

Ha, John Rentoul would be proud of that QTWTAIN.
    edited September 18

Leon said:

Wouldnt their advice be more like "fill up your boots "
    If they learned nothing, so maybe. Or, really fill your boots in a few years time like we do now, rather than fiddling about for a few grand now.

Because the Hamas operatives still use carrier pigeons and human messengers, and aren’t silly enough to order a job lot of pagers and walkie-talkies?

Frank Gardner. Apparently the timing is all wrong and they should have waited until a different time etc etc. A rather classic example of Beeb-itis.
    Except it has already been reported that 2 terrorists had raised suspicions about their pagers. Israel already made it known it was use it or lose it time. And always a limited window as somebody at some point is going to have one taken for a repairs, gets in an accident and it goes off, goes through security that discovers it, etc. So moronic take from Gardner.
    Yep. Times of Israel is saying Mossad was worried their plot was about to be revealed. So: bang

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,143
    Leon said:
    It was the *other* Delta….

https://youtu.be/1tfK_3XK4CI?si=mRdTWuqG4pjIlSy_

“Every Spring the toilets explode”
    This could actually finish Hezbollah as an army. Forever

Not only will they lack modern communications - itself crippling - they will be physically shunned by others. Who wants to stand next to the Hezbollah fighter in a supermarket? Or a wedding? Or anywhere at all?

This could then lead to a collapse in young men volunteering to join. And so Hezbollah goes extinct
    edited September 18
    Sandpit said:

Because the Hamas operatives still use carrier pigeons and human messengers, and aren’t silly enough to order a job lot of pagers and walkie-talkies?
    Maybe. Maybe they tried. The leadership might be cautious, but the lower levels definitely use digital comms which Israel spy on and Israel control what goes in, so a smuggler offering to get you secure messaging devices could be an attractive offer.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,132
    rcs1000 said:

I don't believe 100% of Italian children born to married parents are living with both at the age of 12.

Especially as Italy has quite a high divorce rate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divorce_demography

From my times there it has often seemed that 100% of Italian children are living with both parents at the age of 40.
  • You do realise there is a Hezbollah fighter in Eastern Lebanon this evening looking at his pigeon coop with a very worried expression on his face....
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,284

Selebian said:

Ah!
  • VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,515
    25 years next month for Verulamia and I.
    Any idea what the news was? - Kamala now 1.86?
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

Corbyn wouldn't do it!
    Jeremy did have a makeover as LOTO. Horned glasses, crisp shirts, slinky well tailored suits. It made quite a difference. He looked great as he went down to a landslide defeat to a total slob.

I don't know who paid for it. Knowing Jeremy, as I don't, I'd guess that it was from an aggregate of small donations by highly principled socialists. none of whom were rewarded with undue influence.
    21 years, 1 month and 19 days for my wife and I being together.
    18 years, 1 month and 19 days since we got married.
    And 12 years, 4 months, and 12 days for my mistress and me.
    Leon said:

Yep. Times of Israel is saying Mossad was worried their plot was about to be revealed. So: bang

Which was exactly what I wrote yesterday.
    Did we do this, that SKS tore up the SpAd salary rules to pay Sue Gray £170k rather than the previous £145k maximum?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/09/18/sue-gray-paid-more-than-keir-starmer/

The PM’s advisor now earns more than the PM does.
    Leon said:

Not only will they lack modern communications - itself crippling - they will be physically shunned by others. Who wants to stand next to the Hezbollah fighter in a supermarket? Or a wedding? Or anywhere at all?

This could then lead to a collapse in young men volunteering to join. And so Hezbollah goes extinct

I'm happy to offer you good odds against that if you like.
  • rcs1000 said:

21 years, 1 month and 19 days for my wife and I being together.
    18 years, 1 month and 19 days since we got married.
    And 12 years, 4 months, and 12 days for my mistress and me.

Trying to keep up with Dave Grohl?
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

*could*
    Omnium said:

No big news as such. Just a growing sense that she's going to cruise it.

Are you feeling it yet?
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

Corbyn wouldn't do it!
    Unless it was from Hezbollah, in which case he'd make an exception.
  • Sandpit said:

Did we do this, that SKS tore up the SpAd salary rules to pay Sue Gray £170k rather than the previous £145k maximum?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/09/18/sue-gray-paid-more-than-keir-starmer/

All that BS about country and service above everything else is ringing rather hollow.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,335
    kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Are you feeling it yet?
    Nope.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,526

Sandpit said:

All that BS about country and service above everything else is ringing rather hollow.
    https://x.com/keir_starmer/status/1367809830044467206

£40,000 per year pay rise for Dominic Cummings.

£3.50 per week for NHS nurses.

The mask has slipped.

You do realise there is a Hezbollah fighter in Eastern Lebanon this evening looking at his pigeon coop with a very worried expression on his face....

LOL
    kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Are you feeling it yet?
    I've been backing Kamala for a few months. (Hell, everyone was, even the old slow-poke @tse).

PS It might be possible that @tse's thoughts helped me towards my bets. (I think in part did)
  • mercatormercator Posts: 614
    Sandpit said:

[2021] The Labour leader wrote on X, formerly Twitter: “£40,000 per year pay rise for Dominic Cummings. £3.50 per week for NHS nurses. The mask has slipped.”

Sandpit said:

Oh I am considerably older than you thought. Three score next year.
    I had you early 50s.

It’s interesting how much we get an impression of who other posters here are, and what their lives might look like.
    mercator said:

Sandpit said:

[2021] The Labour leader wrote on X, formerly Twitter: “£40,000 per year pay rise for Dominic Cummings. £3.50 per week for NHS nurses. The mask has slipped.”
    LOL, I remember that now. Shame one is only allowed to like a post once.

Sandpit said:

https://x.com/keir_starmer/status/1367809830044467206

£40,000 per year pay rise for Dominic Cummings.

£3.50 per week for NHS nurses.

The mask has slipped.
    That one too. Well done.
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

*could*
    Or it "could" lead to a regional conflagration, the loss of Western backing for Israel, eventually a shattering military and diplomatic defeat for her, and the forced acceptance (by her) of a maximalist Palestinian state under Islamist control in a 'peace' deal brokered by China.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,432
    SKS has been gifted a box at Underperforming Arsenal to watch his favourite soccer team, £8,750 per game.

https://x.com/politlcsuk/status/1836425480313970989?s=61
    Sandpit said:

mercator said:

Sandpit said:

LOL, I remember that now. Shame one is only allowed to like a post once.
    Now Im going to have to go out and buy some more popcorn, Ive got though all the stuff I was saving for Reeves budget,
    Taz said:

SKS has been gifted a box at Underperforming Arsenal to watch his favourite soccer team, £8,750 per game.

https://x.com/politlcsuk/status/1836425480313970989?s=61

Well at least we now know why he was so interested in the price of Oasis tickets.
    edited September 18
    mercator said:

Sandpit said:

It's like Labour clean forgot it has all this history of being hysterically disapproving, or maybe they thought we wouldn't notice the huge gulf between their words and deeds

Yes they had a tough hand to play, but no one forced them to do all sad, creepy and desperately greedy shit
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,432

Only married 12 years, but together 31.

We’re 9 years wed as of yesterday no less.