Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Good news for family values conservatives, they were right – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,132

kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

Any idea what the news was? - Kamala now 1.86?

No big news as such. Just a growing sense that she's going to cruise it.

Are you feeling it yet?
    Nope.
    :smile: - You'll be the last.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,130

Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

Re the three rings, perhaps you should have followed the French model: Engagement Ring, Wedding Ring, Philandering :wink: (although I'm not sure it necessarily has to happen in that order!)

I did follow the French model.
    Did she 'follow' you back?
    She did, sadly it was Apple that was responsible for everybody finding out.
    No, it was Mr Eagles and his lack of understanding of technology, that led to ‘everybody’ finding out.
    It amuses my friends and colleagues that Mr Apple himself was hoist by his own Apple.
    Messages replicating across devices totally seamlessly, is the single best thing about the Apple ecosystem.

I have an old iPhone SE as my phone, which I use for little more than making phone calls - and tethering the iPad, which is the main device and from which I can do a day’s work anywhere from a pub to a motorway rest stop.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,150
    edited September 18
    This ban on second jobs Labour want to impose is going to be interesting...MPs, i want to work to earn some extra money so can afford finer things in life, you can't. The PM, i am happy to accept £100k in gifts.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,495

Sandpit said:

Did we do this, that SKS tore up the SpAd salary rules to pay Sue Gray £170k rather than the previous £145k maximum?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/09/18/sue-gray-paid-more-than-keir-starmer/

The PM’s advisor now earns more than the PM does.

All that BS about country and service above everything else is ringing rather hollow.
    I am sure there won’t be many people feeling tremendous sympathy for Sue Gray, but to be absolutely fair a salary of £170k is well below the going rate for someone as senior as her in the private sector (and she probably has to pay for her own clothes unlike Mr and Mrs Starmer!). But in the court of wider public opinion I expect that’s not a view that’s going to be particularly entertained.

The most damaging thing though is that it once again reinforces this idea of Starmer getting into office, giving pay rises to his mates and then telling the rest of us how sh*t a time we’re all going to have of it. Not ideal.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,335
    Leon said:

https://x.com/alexwickham/status/1836380388564029933

NEW: Waheed Alli profile @BloombergUK

*he’s still attending No10 meetings despite having pass removed
    *close relationship with Sue Gray makes him ever-present figure
    *he’s donated more than £575,000 to Labour politicians in 4 years
    *intimate donor dinners at his Mayfair home
    *lavish late night pool parties with Cabinet ministers at his Kent mansion
    *he’s the donor to go to when Labour politicians need a suit, loan or birthday party paid for
    *£14,000 for ‘events’ for Bridget Phillipson shortly before her 40th bday

How can Labour be THIS venal, greedy and stupid? It beggars belief. And then Labour would steal belief from the beggar anyway
    Madness on stilts.

It's like they want Reform to take all their Labour voters in 2028.

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,497

You do realise there is a Hezbollah fighter in Eastern Lebanon this evening looking at his pigeon coop with a very worried expression on his face....

Is he worried there might be an eggsplosion?
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,160

Leon said:

*he’s the donor to go to when Labour politicians need a suit, loan or birthday party paid for

How can Labour be THIS venal, greedy and stupid? It beggars belief. And then Labour would steal belief from the beggar anyway
    Madness on stilts.

We could have a fun parliament then of a Reform govt versus a LD opposition or vice versa.
  • Lebanon official news agency reports home solar energy systems have exploded

It's like something out of a movie
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,729
    Omnium said:

Probably heard Willie Glenn had put his shirt on Trump
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,526

Leon said:

Madness on stilts.

We could have a fun parliament then of a Reform govt versus a LD opposition or vice versa.
    Based on the Scottish poll, Reform could be on course to overtake the Tories. If Labour collapse, they could end up as the biggest unionist party.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,468
    Roger said:

Omnium said:

Probably heard Willie Glenn had put his shirt on Trump
    Well after about 20 years of betting on US politics I can honestly say I've made a profit overall. Weird! I may have to sit down!
    edited September 18
    Leon said:

mercator said:

Sandpit said:

Did we do this, that SKS tore up the SpAd salary rules to pay Sue Gray £170k rather than the previous £145k maximum?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/09/18/sue-gray-paid-more-than-keir-starmer/

[2021] The Labour leader wrote on X, formerly Twitter: “£40,000 per year pay rise for Dominic Cummings. £3.50 per week for NHS nurses. The mask has slipped.”
    It's like Labour clean forgot it has all this history of being hysterically disapproving, or maybe they thought we wouldn't notice the huge gulf between their words and deeds

Yes they had a tough hand to play, but no one forced them to do all sad, creepy and desperately greedy shit
    It seems "there is a tweet for that" is true for every move Labour make. The media actually went very easy on Labour over WFA, when loads of tweets, videos, etc all saying WFA has to stay otherwise granny dies. Clobber gate seems to be getting them more exercised.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,899
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

This could actually finish Hezbollah as an army. Forever

Not only will they lack modern communications - itself crippling - they will be physically shunned by others. Who wants to stand next to the Hezbollah fighter in a supermarket? Or a wedding? Or anywhere at all?

This could then lead to a collapse in young men volunteering to join. And so Hezbollah goes extinct

I'm happy to offer you good odds against that if you like.
    *could*
    Or it "could" lead to a regional conflagration, the loss of Western backing for Israel, eventually a shattering military and diplomatic defeat for her, and the forced acceptance (by her) of a maximalist Palestinian state under Islamist control in a 'peace' deal brokered by China.
    Well yes but that could have happened anyway. In the meantime Israel, with Satanic genius, has eliminated thousands of Jew-hating Hezbollah fighters, terrorised the rest of Hezbollah, crippled it for months or even years, and also scared the shit out of Iran. My guess is they will take that, in Jerusalem
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,525

"£575,000 to Labour politicians in 4 years"

Note Politicians, not the party.

Classic buying influence.
    But I don't understand, Anabobazina said there was nothing to this story.

Leon said:

I don't think we should rush to judgement before we see Sue Gray's report.
    Charlie hasn't resigned after all.
  • The government and the union have refused to release an exact figure of what the average salary of a train driver will be following the pay rises. In 2023, the average wage was £60,055 per year, according to the Rail Delivery Group, which represents train companies.

Based on the pay increases announced, the BBC has calculated an average salary is estimated to be about £69,000 in 2024/25.

BBC News - Train drivers accept pay deal bringing end to strikes in England - BBC News
    https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c0r8g244zggo

Nice little earner.
    https://x.com/sentdefender/status/1836448600278339669

Residents in Northern Israel are reporting a Significant Movement of Israeli Military Equipment, including Tanks and Artillery, towards the Border with Lebanon.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,495

Residents in Northern Israel are reporting a Significant Movement of Israeli Military Equipment, including Tanks and Artillery, towards the Border with Lebanon.

Brace?

Brace?
    More than two.
  • Schmuttergate rises from the ashes. Used on this site to attack Dave many moons ago.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,143

Brace?
    Probably just a sales trip to offer a budget deal on some pagers, walkie talkies etc to Hezbollah
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,525

Brace?
    Can't come soon enough for Sir Keir Sponger.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,871
    Yes marriage works, is the best method for raising children and the Tory leadership contenders should be pushing big tax allowances for married couples
  • https://x.com/sentdefender/status/1836448600278339669

Yoav Gallant reported to have said a new phase has begun.

All out war

Israel has to secure its northern border or that chunk of the country will be forever unliveable

Israel has decided that is The Last Battle. Either she can make herself safe or Israel is finished

Schmuttergate rises from the ashes. Used on this site to attack Dave many moons ago.

The rumours about Dave the Viking were unfounded, and anyway are still subject to litigation. The judge has said he imagines he'll finish hearing evidence before the next millennium.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,538
    The data are pretty clear, being brought up by two married parents is correlated with good outcomes for children. Causation is a more complex story - some of the factors that make a couple more likely to get married and stay married will also directly impact those outcomes. So simplistic policy prescriptions won't necessarily lead to better outcomes. But I would certainly like to see all aspects of policy, around taxes and benefits, the labour market, health and education, much more focused on the needs of children. It's the difference between consumption and investment.

Brace?
    Probably just a sales trip to offer a budget deal on some pagers, walkie talkies etc to Hezbollah
    Rumours on TwiX that Israeli agents persuaded Hezbollah to buy *this* batch of pagers by offering a bribe to some top Hezbollah guy. “Buy our cheap pagers and you get $20k”

Thus turning their own corruption against them

I still dunno how Israel managed to sabotage all these OTHER devices - phones, cameras, solar panels. Quite astonishing
  • HYUFD said:

Yes marriage works, is the best method for raising children and the Tory leadership contenders should be pushing big tax allowances for married couples

If only the Lord God married the mother of His only begotten son!
  • https://x.com/sentdefender/status/1836448600278339669

Brace?
    I finally did the Clitheroe to Hellifield Line back on the 7th!
    edited September 18

This ban on second jobs Labour want to impose is going to be interesting...MPs, i want to work to earn some extra money so can afford finer things in life, you can't. The PM, i am happy to accept £100k in gifts.

There’s a lot of professional jobs out there that require annual recertification. Cutting these professions out from being MPs is a bad idea. A senior doctor or pilot can offer something to the House of Commons, and isn’t chasing the money.
  • Sandpit said:

As explosive a story as a Hezbollah pager?
  • Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

Re the three rings, perhaps you should have followed the French model: Engagement Ring, Wedding Ring, Philandering :wink: (although I'm not sure it necessarily has to happen in that order!)

No, it was Mr Eagles and his lack of understanding of technology, that led to ‘everybody’ finding out.
    It amuses my friends and colleagues that Mr Apple himself was hoist by his own Apple.
    Messages replicating across devices totally seamlessly, is the single best thing about the Apple ecosystem.

I have an old iPhone SE as my phone, which I use for little more than making phone calls - and tethering the iPad, which is the main device and from which I can do a day’s work anywhere from a pub to a motorway rest stop.
    Oh God help me.

I've just done a software update on my MacBook and I now get this, the option to mirror my iPhone on this MacBook.

Like I am not worried enough when somebody asks to use my MacBook.

• AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,284
    nico679 said:

New Quinnipiac polls .

A surprising big lead for Harris in Pennsylvania.

Harris 51 Trump 45

Michigan

Harris 50 Trump 45

Wisconsin

Harris 48 Trump 47

Yes, just about to post.

https://poll.qu.edu/images/polling/mi/mi09182024_swmf64.pdf

She is also 4 up and net favourable in today's YouGov/Economist national poll.

And into 1.82 on BX.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,432
    Lib Dem party broadcast. So effing dull.
    edited September 18

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

Oh God help me.

I've just done a software update on my MacBook and I now get this, the option to mirror my iPhone on this MacBook.

That’s basically a Remote Desktop connection, no data sharing. Most of the rest done through the usual Apple sharing. Requires both devices to be signed in with the same AppleID, so you can’t set up your personal phone with work laptop etc.

Avoid the hell out of IOS18 for a couple of months though. I’m on the beta program and it’s properly crap. Managed to lose me 200 open Safari tabs in the update.
    I’m at Granville Street Market for a food tour. Nice

But last night I was fed California Roll sushi by THE GUY WHO INVENTED CALIFORNIA ROLL SUSHI

Hidekazu Tojo! At Tojo’s restaurant in Vancouver

He was a lovely host tho he did keep saying “no soy! No soy!”

• mercatormercator Posts: 614

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

Oh God help me.

Get an Android phone so that 1984, won't have to be like 1984. You must not let your devices bully you.

Also it forgets to mention the key advantage. No need to store your iPhone within 2cm of your genitalia.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,284

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

Oh God help me.

That's a neat feature though... just checking if I have an available update... and I do!

Okay, see you all on the other side............
  • Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

Oh God help me.

That’s basically a Remote Desktop connection, no data sharing. Most of the rest done through the usual Apple sharing. Requires both devices to be signed in with the same AppleID, so you can’t set up your personal phone with work laptop etc.

Avoid the hell out of IOS18 for a couple of months though. I’m on the beta program and it’s properly crap. Managed to lose me 200 open Safari tabs in the update.
    I am loving iOS 18, been testing 5G Stand Alone.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,749
    I've had too much time on my hands today.

Saw a headline in the Daily Mail: "Train drivers vote to accept bumper pay deal from Labour as unions boast they have 'protected hard-won terms and conditions' with strikes".

I can confirm that the DM commenters don't like to be informed in one of the first 10 comments that the bumper pay deal is less than inflation :smile: , by a margin of just over 4 to 1. Good interaction level, though.

Now a few things to do in the garden. Have a good evening, all.

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

Oh God help me.

I'm currently annoyed with Apple, my MacBook pro has developed a weird fault where when it's asleep it overheats and sucks the battery dry. I'm having to survive on a borrowed Chromebook as a result.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,914
    Sandpit said:

There’s a lot of professional jobs out there that require annual recertification. Cutting these professions out from being MPs is a bad idea. A senior doctor or pilot can offer something to the House of Commons, and isn’t chasing the money.
    I understand the impulse behind the idea, but it strikes me as one which falls down on the details.

And once you start having to build in exceptions for doctors or the like, the moral outrage expressed starts to look a bit silly even if the second job is newspaper columnist or some other worthless endeavour.
  • Leon said:

Brace?
    Rumours on TwiX that Israeli agents persuaded Hezbollah to buy *this* batch of pagers by offering a bribe to some top Hezbollah guy. “Buy our cheap pagers and you get $20k”

I still dunno how Israel managed to sabotage all these OTHER devices - phones, cameras, solar panels. Quite astonishing
    Is this the begining of a trend back to pen and ink as the only safe form of communication?
  • ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

Oh God help me.

I'm currently annoyed with Apple, my MacBook pro has developed a weird fault where when it's asleep it overheats and sucks the battery dry. I'm having to survive on a borrowed Chromebook as a result.
    I hope my subtle Marshal Wade reference on the previous thread cheered you up.
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

Oh God help me.

Nobody provides support in Wales - look at the mess that you guys made of the civil war there.
    Leon said:

All out war

Israel has to secure its northern border or that chunk of the country will be forever unliveable

Israel has decided that is The Last Battle. Either she can make herself safe or Israel is finished
    Israel is not a perfect state, especially under its current PM, so can go too far, but people do rather downplay how precarious a position they are in sometimes, even in the immediate aftermath of last year's attacks.

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

Oh God help me.

It amplified his displeasure.
    edited September 18
    Omnium said:

If exploding pagers and mobiles become a thing it would make air travel even more of a hassle.

You make an extremely good point. If there were thousands of these things then some would have gone through airport checks.
    That can surely be to-some-extent-mitigated * by a few phone jammers.

Did any of the Hezbollah pagers explode on aeroplanes?

* Not up to date enough to know how far; though I have wondered how far head-in-phone driving oafs could be encouraged to pay attention by phone jammers on cycles.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,541
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

Oh God help me.

I have that from time to time, too. My guess is it is some process keeping it alive even when the lid is closed.

Leon said:

Brace?

Is this the begining of a trend back to pen and ink as the only safe form of communication?
    Impossible to hack, though you can surely fit some explosives in a pen.
    Another interesting story that will be missed.

Married Police Chief Superintendent, 41, resigns ahead of misconduct hearing, that he was involved in a relationship with a 24-year-old trainee. They first met five years ago, so aged 36 and 19.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13865033/Married-police-chief-sex-rookie-officer-resigned.html

Government needs to better regulate this, so that criminal charges of misconduct in public office can more easily be brought in such cases, and senior officers not allowed to resign when under investigation.

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

Oh God help me.

Even that mighty aid can't cheer me up.

And I have to say I think you road your luck on such a reference.
  • MattW said:

I've had too much time on my hands today.

Saw a headline in the Daily Mail: "Train drivers vote to accept bumper pay deal from Labour as unions boast they have 'protected hard-won terms and conditions' with strikes".

I can confirm that the DM commenters don't like to be informed in one of the first 10 comments that the bumper pay deal is less than inflation :smile: , by a margin of just over 4 to 1. Good interaction level, though.

Now a few things to do in the garden. Have a good evening, all.

But the rules are well-known.

Rule One: I should be given more money.

Rule Two: I shouldn't have to give other people more money.

All that varies is the intensity and self-awareness of an individual's belief in these two rules.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 12,892
    rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Corbyn wouldn't do it!
    Unless it was from Hezbollah, in which case he'd make an exception.
    Corbyn accepted only one bit of hospitality during his tenure as leader: tickets for Glastonbury. Miliband accepted some tickets for the Olympics, and Brown accepted nothing. Blair accepted quite a bit, but, incredibly, Starmer has accepted more hospitality than his four predecessors combined. And his tenure includes a period when no-one was allowed to do anything.

Brace?
    I finally did the Clitheroe to Hellifield Line back on the 7th!
    I did that in June. It was brilliant. Some trains just have a fun atmosphere - this was one of them; everyone.is on a day out, everyone is chatty. Also a beautiful stretch of scenery.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,160
    Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Corbyn wouldn't do it!
    Corbyn accepted only one bit of hospitality during his tenure as leader: tickets for Glastonbury. Miliband accepted some tickets for the Olympics, and Brown accepted nothing. Blair accepted quite a bit, but, incredibly, Starmer has accepted more hospitality than his four predecessors combined. And his tenure includes a period when no-one was allowed to do anything.
    So if Starmer backs off on his fight with UEFA is that because he's been bought off with Premier league tickets ?
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,849
    edited September 18
    Off topic: The WaPo used a big data base to determine the partisanship of American names. Not many surprises in their findings, but this one was -- partly:
    "But the last name with the greatest rightward shift also happens to be one of the only non-Cajun names on the list: Locklear. The lion’s share of the Locklears are found in just one place, Robeson County, N.C. So, we picked up the phone.
    . . .
    Theresa Locklear was the first woman ever elected to the city council of Pembroke, N.C. With fewer than 3,000 residents, Pembroke serves as headquarters of the Lumbee tribe, which has been recognized by the state but not by the federal government.
    . . .
    Locklear said she’d mostly voted for Democrats until Trump came along, speaking to the everyday concerns of folks in a region hammered by cheap foreign products. When China joined the World Trade Organization in 2001, the county’s textile mills employed 1,865 people, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. By 2022, they employed 177 and the county had the second-highest poverty rate in the state."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2024/09/13/popular-names-republican-democrat/

It may have been an error, politcally and economically, to admit the ChiComs to the WTO. Not that Trump's tariffs (continued by Biden) are the right answer to the problem of their predatory practices.
    edited September 18
    Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Corbyn wouldn't do it!
    It is quite easy to accept nothing, and you get plenty of prestige and implicit advantages from having a senior political position - much as I understand all of us liking a good deal that comes with free swag, I don't know why so many find it so hard to say no given that.
    I see in the latest Holyrood poll in the last thread the SNP would again be largest party but lose their majority with the Greens as the Scottish Tories would hold the balance of power for the first time since 2007.

I hope the next Scottish Conservative leader keeps the SNP in power in return for Thatcherite economic policy from Swinney and Forbes and no indyref2
    HYUFD said:

I see in the latest Holyrood poll in the last thread the SNP would again be largest party but lose their majority with the Greens as the Scottish Tories would hold the balance of power for the first time since 2007.

I hope the next Scottish Conservative leader keeps the SNP in power in return for Thatcherite economic policy from Swinney and Forbes and no indyref2

I'm sure you do given how much you hate the SNP.
    Has anyone been tracking more closely than I have?

The pager explosions has been a double-tap attack?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/cwyl9048gx8t

I see that was a firm plan in April, have they revived it? Earned money bad, freebies AOK, and if you wanted twice the salary you should have applied for the Downing Street CoS position. That all sounds fine.

Off topic: The WaPo used a big data base to determine the partisanship of American names. Not many surprises in their findings, but this one was -- partly:
    "But the last name with the greatest rightward shift also happens to be one of the only non-Cajun names on the list: Locklear. The lion’s share of the Locklears are found in just one place, Robeson County, N.C. So, we picked up the phone.
    . . .
    Theresa Locklear was the first woman ever elected to the city council of Pembroke, N.C. With fewer than 3,000 residents, Pembroke serves as headquarters of the Lumbee tribe, which has been recognized by the state but not by the federal government.
    . . .
    Locklear said she’d mostly voted for Democrats until Trump came along, speaking to the everyday concerns of folks in a region hammered by cheap foreign products. When China joined the World Trade Organization in 2001, the county’s textile mills employed 1,865 people, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. By 2022, they employed 177 and the county had the second-highest poverty rate in the state."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2024/09/13/popular-names-republican-democrat/

It may have been an error, politcally and economically, to admit the ChiComs to the WTO. Not that Trump's tariffs (continued by Biden) are the right answer to the problem of their predatory practices.

Reagan called it back in 1980. “Are you better off than four years ago?”.

For the vast majority of Americans, the answer to that question is no. Which is why Trump could win.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,200
    edited September 18

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

Oh God help me.

Blame Brexit. iPhone Mirroring isn't allowed in the EU.

(To be serious, you should always have two extra users set up: one for presentations, and one for guests.)
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Corbyn wouldn't do it!
    It is quite easy to accept nothing, and you get plenty of prestige and implicit advantages from having a senior political position - much as I understand all of us liking a good deal that comes with free swag, I don't know why so many find it so hard to say no given that.
    Cruelly, I might say Brown accepted nothing because he was an utter fucking misery.
    Though that would just be a needless barb, because actually I do credit him with a modicum of selective integrity.
    ISTR the big thing in his basket in the expenses scandal was Sky Sports subscription. Which all things told is pretty small beer.
    Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Corbyn wouldn't do it!
    I suspect Starmer is going to end up hated more bitterly than any PM in modern history. He is already dislikeable - now it turns out he’s greedy and corrupt. And he’s clueless and disapproving and tin-eared. And he has an annoying voice. And little squinty eyes as he frowns at you through his free £20k designer specs, for eating a
    pie without his permission as he steals your granny’s last lump of coal
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

You think an SNP government pursuing Thatcherism and ruling out indyref2 will be popular? Scottish Tories could have Swinney as their puppet in return for keeping Scottish Labour out
    edited September 18
    A demo they showed at the Apple event using Apple Intelligence is primed for TSE mishap. You can ask Siri 2.0 to find all photos of a person or event in your camera roll and send to certain people....
    edited September 18
    Sandpit said:

. . .
    . . .

Reagan called it back in 1980. “Are you better off than four years ago?”.

For the vast majority of Americans, the answer to that question is no. Which is why Trump could win.
    Harris back ahead in the RCP EC average tonight though 276 to 262. Trump the Democrats get out of jail free card, if Haley was GOP nominee they would be toast

https://www.realclearpolling.com/maps/president/2024/no-toss-up/electoral-college
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Corbyn wouldn't do it!
    I suspect Starmer is going to end up hated more bitterly than any PM in modern history. He is already dislikeable - now it turns out he’s greedy and corrupt. And he’s clueless and disapproving and tin-eared. And he has an annoying voice. And little squinty eyes as he frowns at you through his free £20k designer specs, for eating a
    You also thought Liz Truss might surprise on the upside.

Which, to be fair, was true. She made it past a month.
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Corbyn wouldn't do it!
    That's a given, the more difficult call is will he be hated more per capita by the general public or his own back benches?
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

You think an SNP government pursuing Thatcherism and ruling out indyref2 will be popular? Scottish Tories could have Swinney as their puppet in return for keeping Scottish Labour out
    No, I think it will be immensely unpopular and destroy the SNP.

I was assuming that was why you wanted it.
  • Leon said:

Brace?

That was basically the FBI Anom phone play...they bribed an "influencer" in the criminal underworld to promote their phones to everybody they knew and on their social media.
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Corbyn wouldn't do it!
    What on earth are you going to say about him in 4 years time?
    edited September 18
    We haven't even had the budget where everybody is going to get absolutely smashed for more tax.
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Corbyn wouldn't do it!
    I’m just getting started. It’s quite fun to hate a government and the hatred will only build
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

No, I think it will be immensely unpopular and destroy the SNP.

I was assuming that was why you wanted it.
    I couldn’t possibly comment
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,335
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Corbyn wouldn't do it!
    You may be right. Farage could be in Downing Street by end of the decade if Labour carry on like this.
    Granville Food Market is epic

Vancouver is a deeply seductive city in the bright Pacific sunshine
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

Oh God help me.

Nobody provides support in Wales - look at the mess that you guys made of the civil war there.
    I'm sure I'm meant to understand this, but I don't.
  • MJWMJW Posts: 1,617
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

All out war

Israel is not a perfect state, especially under its current PM, so can go too far, but people do rather downplay how precarious a position they are in sometimes, even in the immediate aftermath of last year's attacks.
    Indeed, much of the deranged thinking around Israel in Western states comes from a simple, or in some cases deliberate, misunderstanding of what and who they are facing, what those actors believe and the extent they go to when given the chance.
  • Just going back to the Conservative leadership election if I may. Having followed TSE's excellent advice on opposing Kemi, I am now beginning to get some back, though I think the true odds are probably 4 or 5.
    However I am now backing Tugendhat at c 20 or so, as whilst I don't expect him to win I think he has a good chance of going through to the last against Jenrick, in which case zi supposevhexwiuld be about.
    Am I missing something? I would have thought he would benefit slightly more from the Stride votes than Cleverly, and then much more from the Cleverly votes than Kemi.
    Fed cuts rates by 50bps
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Corbyn wouldn't do it!
    I’m just getting started. It’s quite fun to hate a government and the hatred will only build
    You will hate this government, I'm sure, and you'll look back on these days as a relaxing passing of the time. Clueless is perhaps the jibe that counts.

Fed cuts rates by 50bps

Trying their best to pump the economy a little more ahead of the election.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,575

Fed cuts rates by 50bps

Spin on that, Trump.

Leon said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Corbyn wouldn't do it!
    You may be right. Farage could be in Downing Street by end of the decade if Labour carry on like this.
    Only with Tory support. Badenoch and Jenrick would probably do a deal with Farage for power, Tugendhat and Cleverly would prefer a deal with the LDs or even a grand coalition German style with Starmer Labour than putting Farage in

We haven't even had the budget where everybody is going to get absolutely smashed for more tax.

The HNWs aren’t waiting for the actual budget speech, they’ve heard enough already.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,432

Fed cuts rates by 50bps

Spin on that, Trump.
    Let’s see what the reaction is to it.
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Selebian said:

Oh God help me.

I'm sure I'm meant to understand this, but I don't.
    The English Civil War.
    Sandpit said:

Fed cuts rates by 50bps

Trying their best to pump the economy a little more ahead of the election.
    A cut was expected, but half a point is more than most thought was coming. That said, food prices actually fell last month and gas prices are way down, so not entirely unjustified.

It will make Trump's wailing about "the worst economy ever" look even more unhinged. The US economy is going like a train.
    Sandpit said:

The HNWs aren’t waiting for the actual budget speech, they’ve heard enough already.
    Their departure will make it all the worse for those of us still here.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,749
    edited September 18
    Sandpit said:

Another interesting story that will be missed.

Married Police Chief Superintendent, 41, resigns ahead of misconduct hearing, that he was involved in a relationship with a 24-year-old trainee. They first met five years ago, so aged 36 and 19.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13865033/Married-police-chief-sex-rookie-officer-resigned.html

Government needs to better regulate this, so that criminal charges of misconduct in public office can more easily be brought in such cases, and senior officers not allowed to resign when under investigation.

its probably a bit low bar for misconduct in a public office criminal case if everybody willing . Just a sacking I would think is just.Misconduct in a public office for police is usually reserved for corruption or gross negligence on duty.Now if he had taken 30K worth of football tickets and some posh togs
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,990

43 years for Mrs P and me. I feel very lucky.

45 years, do we get a bonus point for having two grandchildren due to arrive (not twins) on the same date next month?