Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Scone rhymes with bone and if you disagree you are wrong – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,763
    kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Nice to see YouGov concentrating on the important things...

Personally I pronounce it as rhyming with "Gone"

Classic mid August post general election poll.

There is a slight class element to pronounciation of Scone, as the map shows those saying Scone like 'Gone' are highest in the North, Scotland and Wales while those pronouncing it like 'Bone' are more likely to live in London, the South and East.

Virtually everybody outside Devon and Somerset agrees that jam goes on Scones first then cream however
    There's no class element.
    Just a right and wrong element.

(And a weird one for the 'scown' minority.)
    There is an element of class, those pronouncing it like 'Bone' rather than 'Gone' are likely on average to be slightly posher
    Those pronouncing it slightly posher are likely to be arseholes and far less intelligent
    How do you say it?
    It rhymes with gone, and anyone that says it doesnt is a plebeian thats barely literate
    Well this puts you in the posh camp if I'm assessing things correctly. I don't know how you feel about that.
    No it doesn't your claim was anyone pronouncing it to rhyme with bone is slightly posher "There is an element of class, those pronouncing it like 'Bone' rather than 'Gone' are likely on average to be slightly posher"

but then lefties like you have always been slight posho's mistaking education for intelligence
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,261
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

There is a slight class element to pronounciation of Scone, as the map shows those saying Scone like 'Gone' are highest in the North, Scotland and Wales while those pronouncing it like 'Bone' are more likely to live in London, the South and East.

Virtually everybody outside Devon and Somerset agrees that jam goes on Scones first then cream however

There is an element of class, those pronouncing it like 'Bone' rather than 'Gone' are likely on average to be slightly posher
    Not really. This is like serviette: people who are non-U desperately wanting to look like they are U.

Most places are entirely agnostic about it, and places like Hampshire where I am (which is relatively posh) tend to prefer "gone" because they don't have the class insecurities that Derbyshire and Essex have.
    I don't think there's a class element to it - or if there is, it's complex and nuanced. As is the geographical element.

All gone-rhymers in my family, whether from Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh or London, and regardless of which layer of the middle-middle to upper-middle classes we come frpm.
    Touch of groupthink there in the Cookie clan then. Are we sure there aren't family members who'd like to say "scown" but are too scared of the consequences?
    Culling the people who pronounce scone as not rhyming with gone would remove the shallowend of the genepool
    edited August 16
    Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Those pronouncing it slightly posher are likely to be arseholes and far less intelligent
    How do you say it?
    It rhymes with gone, and anyone that says it doesnt is a plebeian thats barely literate
    Well this puts you in the posh camp if I'm assessing things correctly. I don't know how you feel about that.
    No it doesn't your claim was anyone pronouncing it to rhyme with bone is slightly posher "There is an element of class, those pronouncing it like 'Bone' rather than 'Gone' are likely on average to be slightly posher"

but then lefties like you have always been slight posho's mistaking education for intelligence
    No that was HYUFD who said that. I'm saying the opposite. But perhaps I'm wrong and he's right. That's unusual but it has happened once or twice.
    kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

How do you say it?

No that was HYUFD who said that. I'm saying the opposite. But perhaps I'm wrong.
    Well hyufd is pretty much as also wrong as you how to choose?
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,103
    KnightOut said:

I'll put in a word for Stanley Carnage's Bacon Scones. Made with bacon fat and liberally studded with more bacon throughout.

So moist and unctious you don't need to put anything else on them, and they pair well with most styles of beer.

Is it vegan???
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    Andy_JS said:

RealClearPolitics is holding out on forecasting a Harris win because of a tie in their Pennsylvania polling average.

https://www.realclearpolling.com/maps/president/2024/no-toss-up/electoral-college
    https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/president/general/2024/pennsylvania/trump-vs-harris

Lol
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,354
    Foxy said:

On the topic of tea-time treats, my plum crop this year is very disappointingly light, though the few plums are quite tasty. Black and redcurrants also very poor crop with barely any. Poor spring weather or too few insects or both?

Apples and pears look to have had a good season, but need a couple more weeks.

The wasps have attacked my apple in the last two days so they are ready.
    The plums are already jammed in jars.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,109
    Barnesian said:

Foxy said:

On the topic of tea-time treats, my plum crop this year is very disappointingly light, though the few plums are quite tasty. Black and redcurrants also very poor crop with barely any. Poor spring weather or too few insects or both?

Apples and pears look to have had a good season, but need a couple more weeks.

The wasps have attacked my apple in the last two days so they are ready.
    The plums are already jammed in jars.
    What do we need with eggs and ham
    When we've got plum and apple jam?
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,590
    German military analyst Richter on the situation in the Kursk region:

"I think that in the next 2-3 weeks it will become clear that this is a miscalculation by the Ukrainian Armed Forces, and the question will have to be asked: was it worth it? In the meantime, the Russians are advancing far ahead in Donbass. Everything will be very bad, and this will be visible in 2-3 weeks. Ukraine will ultimately be pushed back."

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

How do you say it?
    Agree. 'Sc-own' always sounds like a very gauche person's idea of sounding posh - like drinking one's tea with pinky held aloft.
    That's amazing because I feel exactly that about "gone". Like, I imagine Hyacinth Bouquet would say it that way.

Funny one, this.
    kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

How do you say it?
    Agree. 'Sc-own' always sounds like a very gauche person's idea of sounding posh - like drinking one's tea with pinky held aloft.
    That's amazing because I feel exactly that about "gone". Like, I imagine Hyacinth Bouquet would say it that way.

Funny one, this.
    No she would have pronounced it scown because she always got it wrong
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,370
    edited August 16
    Not fit for purpose....basically if you are a foreign student who can get a loan and returns home or a UK student who emigrates, the taxpayer is never getting any money back. They aren't even trying to get it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/jobs/schools-universities/not-coming-back-britain-70000-expat-dodge-student-loans/
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,478

"I think that in the next 2-3 weeks it will become clear that this is a miscalculation by the Ukrainian Armed Forces, and the question will have to be asked: was it worth it? In the meantime, the Russians are advancing far ahead in Donbass. Everything will be very bad, and this will be visible in 2-3 weeks. Ukraine will ultimately be pushed back."

You need to be careful with military 'analysts'; there are many on both sides whose rhetoric goes far beyond their knowledge.

Is what he says possible? Yes. So is the contrary: that this attack will force Russia to further over-extend itself. It could be a disastrous move by the Ukrainians, or a masterstroke. But so far, after over a week, it seems disastrous for Russia and very good for Ukraine.

It simply becomes a case of pick-your-favourite-analyst. I've a cage of them round the back, if you'd like one. ;)

But here's a piece of advice: this war has been going on long enough now, that it's possible to check their track record. There are some 'analysts' who have been proven wrong in their every utterance about this war, yet still get TV appearances with channels that favour one side or the other.

I don't know this Richter guy to say whether he's been in any way accurate in the past or not.
    Isn't it amazing a leftie like kinablu argues about multiculturalism, the cornish and devonians do occasionaly have a war of words about the ordering of the condiments but we both agree its scone to rhyme with gone....respect our culture kinablu
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,742

kinabalu said:

With the topic being rather light (“scones”) I feel ok to mention something else that’s interesting but not of earth-shattering importance. The Lady In Red by Chris De Burgh. I hadn’t heard it in decades but that changed this afternoon when I was checking out the new M&S food hall in Friern Barnet. They were playing loud music in there, unusual for an M&S and imo not smart business since it was hard to screen it out and concentrate on my shopping, esp when The Lady In Red started booming out. For better or worse (I’d strongly argue the latter) it’s just not a song you can ignore.

Both Chris Rea and Chris De Burgh were very popular in Germany.
    Chris Rea - "“I understand Chris de Burgh speaks very good German. Chris De Burgh. Annoying little bastard…”
    https://www.pauldunoyer.com/chris-rea-interview-the-underdogs-tale/
    One of the more bizarre nights of my life involved Chris de Burgh. And the Hoff. And Jimmy Ruffin.

And the ghost of Lady Diana. At Althorp House.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,611

You need to be careful with military 'analysts'; there are many on both sides whose rhetoric goes far beyond their knowledge.

Is what he says possible? Yes. So is the contrary: that this attack will force Russia to further over-extend itself. It could be a disastrous move by the Ukrainians, or a masterstroke. But so far, after over a week, it seems disastrous for Russia and very good for Ukraine.

It simply becomes a case of pick-your-favourite-analyst. I've a cage of them round the back, if you'd like one. ;)

But here's a piece of advice: this war has been going on long enough now, that it's possible to check their track record. There are some 'analysts' who have been proven wrong in their every utterance about this war, yet still get TV appearances with channels that favour one side or the other.

I don't know this Richter guy to say whether he's been in any way accurate in the past or not.
    He wrote this shortly after the invasion which is pretty balanced:

https://www.swp-berlin.org/10.18449/2022C16/

However, the Russian president has ob­viously underestimated the Ukrainian deter­mination to resist and the resolve of the West. He will now achieve what he wanted to avoid, namely a more united Ukrainian nation, a more united and stronger NATO and EU, and an unprecedented military strengthening of NATO’s eastern flank. In addition, he will have to face significant economic, financial, and political isolation with serious long-term effects. If Russian forces get bogged down in nasty and time-consuming street fighting in Ukraine’s cities while their losses mount, Putin will also face a dramatic loss of repu­tation internally, with unpredictable con­sequences.

kinabalu said:

With the topic being rather light (“scones”) I feel ok to mention something else that’s interesting but not of earth-shattering importance. The Lady In Red by Chris De Burgh. I hadn’t heard it in decades but that changed this afternoon when I was checking out the new M&S food hall in Friern Barnet. They were playing loud music in there, unusual for an M&S and imo not smart business since it was hard to screen it out and concentrate on my shopping, esp when The Lady In Red started booming out. For better or worse (I’d strongly argue the latter) it’s just not a song you can ignore.

Chris Rea - "“I understand Chris de Burgh speaks very good German. Chris De Burgh. Annoying little bastard…”
    One of the more bizarre nights of my life involved Chris de Burgh. And the Hoff. And Jimmy Ruffin.

You know eating moths can make you hallucinate?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,781
    Andy_JS said:

Scone rhymes with burn in Hull.

As does every other word.
    Is that why Larkin chose it ?
    Most convenient for a poet.
  • On topic - TSE as a Norfolk I think you are correct but I suspect that you pronounce both scone and bone incorrectly!
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,708
    KnightOut said:

I'll put in a word for Stanley Carnage's Bacon Scones. Made with bacon fat and liberally studded with more bacon throughout.

So moist and unctious you don't need to put anything else on them, and they pair well with most styles of beer.

Sounds delicious, but there's nothing that a big blob of butter can't improve.

Me neither.

Some experts on here had the Russian Economy collapsing within days of Western Sanctions which as far as i can see appears not to have happened

They now seem to be on the side of masterstroke so I think they should probably be given a wide birth

Time will tell. It all ends in 4 months if Trump wins although Zelensky should be breathing easier about that now Biden is no longer Candidate
    Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

How do you say it?

Funny one, this.
    No, she pronounces it to rhyme with "gone". She also says "brosh-ures" instead of bro-chures.
    Tres said:

Poor Hunter Biden, no-one cares about him anymore.

His dad does.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    edited August 16
    Just catching up, been away a while. Fascinating. It's scon.

This is what happens when we have no opinion polls.

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

How do you say it?

Funny one, this.
    No, she pronounces it to rhyme with "gone". She also says "brosh-ures" instead of bro-chures.
    Link or it is just your imagination
  • StereodogStereodog Posts: 570

After extensive self-analysis, I have concluded I use scone (bone) and scone (gone) randomly, with no discernible pattern.

As for jam or cream first: jam sticks to scone, cream sits on jam with no problem; cream sits on scone: jam slips off cream every time.

I've always worked on the premise that cream is the fat so it replaces butter as a barrier between the scone and the jam. Put my firmly in camp Devon.
    6,000 sheep will soon be grazing on 10,000 acres of Texas solar fields

https://www.canarymedia.com/articles/solar/6-000-sheep-will-soon-be-grazing-on-10-00-acres-of-texas-solar-fields
    JR Howard of Texas Solar Sheep can’t buy sheep fast enough. He supplies them to solar farms, where their grazing keeps grass short for less than the cost of mowing it. Demand for his animals has skyrocketed over the past few years as more and more large solar installations are being built. Now Howard is scrambling to fulfill his biggest order yet: for 6,000 sheep, which will be put to work grazing eight Texas solar fields run by Enel North America.

Howard’s booming business is a form of agrivoltaics, which combines solar panels with agriculture or other land uses that benefit farmers and ecosystems.

Along with renting sheep out to solar fields, Howard raises them to sell for meat — but only the males. He needs as many females as he can get to shore up his herds. When he first started his business three years ago, he had just 400 sheep on one solar site. Since then, he’s deployed over 10,000. The increasing demand for sheep grazing on solar farms is ​“the greatest opportunity for the sheep industry in my lifetime,” Howard told Canary Media...

Ukraine still moving forward today

Ukraine’s top military commander Oleksandr Syrskii said its forces had moved forward by 1.5km (0.93 miles) over the previous 24 hours, advancing some 35km into Russia’s Kursk region since the start of the incursion. Its forces were now in control of 1,150 square kilometres (444 square miles) of Russian territory and 82 settlements, he added.
    Pagan2 said:

Isn't it amazing a leftie like kinablu argues about multiculturalism, the cornish and devonians do occasionaly have a war of words about the ordering of the condiments but we both agree its scone to rhyme with gone....respect our culture kinablu

Ok well when I visit down there I'll say it your way. I'm not one to disrespect local traditions. Eg I had haggis once in Scotland.
  • StereodogStereodog Posts: 570
    Slightly on topic. Each to their own with the order of jam and cream but I get very annoyed if I'm served a fruit scone as part of a cream tea. Fruit scones should be reserved for butter otherwise the whole thing is too flavourful and a bit unenglish
  • TresTres Posts: 2,651
    Omnium said:

Tres said:

It's quite amazing that major international companies the world over manage without his valuable insight.
    I was more thinking of the hoards of internet commentators who were convinced he was going to be subject to the trial of the millennia.
    Tres said:

I have a feeling no company is going to be dropping 100k a month to have him as a non-exec director ok their board anymore.
    Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Wish I had that excuse....
    Stereodog said:

Slightly on topic. Each to their own with the order of jam and cream but I get very annoyed if I'm served a fruit scone as part of a cream tea. Fruit scones should be reserved for butter otherwise the whole thing is too flavourful and a bit unenglish

Fruit scones are the road to perdition, the devils dumplings
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,119

Me neither.

Some experts on here had the Russian Economy collapsing within days of Western Sanctions which as far as i can see appears not to have happened

They now seem to be on the side of masterstroke so I think they should probably be given a wide birth

Time will tell. It all ends in 4 months if Trump wins although Zelensky should be breathing easier about that now Biden is no longer Candidate
    Time will indeed tell. The thing none of us are mentally able to compute is that the future isn’t written. It hasn’t happened yet.

I sometimes remind myself of this when I start getting too into the mindset of there being some sort of grand plan out there.
    Pagan2 said:

Stereodog said:

Fruit scones are the road to perdition, the devils dumplings
    You are remarkably sound on the scone question.
    If god was to ever write a commandment...she would be all "Yeah fruit scones don't eat them or fuck off"
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

How do you say it?

Funny one, this.
    You link to her pronouncing it "scown".
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,611
    The Ukrainians are removing Lenin statues in Kursk oblast. Ironic given that Putin blames Lenin for Ukrainian independence in the first place.

https://x.com/officejjsmart/status/1824474289770271066
    edited August 16
    St George Cross yobbo got 56 months and all he got to show for it was a vegan sausage, a couple of bath bombs and a pair of crocs and 5 minutes of internet fame.

I imagine going to be tricky in jail as everybody will know why you are there and not sure the non-white prison population is going to treat bloke done for racist rioting as a hero.

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

How do you say it?

Funny one, this.
    I was not the one suggesting she would called a scone to rhyme with gone so the onus of proof is on the people who think she would have got it right
    edited August 16

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

The big warm blooded version of moths visited us last night. It was strangely frightening at the time, in a doomy gothic sort of way, and amusing now.

I woke at around 5am (still dark here in France) needing a wee, and hearing a regular fluttering. Came back from the loo and wife said “we have a bat”.

After switching on the light we realised we did indeed have a bat flying around our bedroom. Then we noticed a second one. Then a third, out in the landing.

Half an hour of mad flapping ensued, both by us and the bats. Finally got them by swiping them out of the air with large cushions, trapping and putting them outside.

Will they be back tonight? One thing’s for sure: we’ll not be leaving windows open tonight despite the temperature.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,478

Me neither.

The Russian economy is in a shit state; sanctions *are* working. Russia are spending a vast amount of their own treasure on building for their military, building their own economy, but directing resources that could be better used on other purposes. Spending a few million rubles upgrading a tank that immediately enters the turret-tossing competition in Ukraine boosts the economy by a few million rubles, but achieves f-all.

When this war ends, the pain for Russia's economy will really hit home.

There are plenty of other 'experts' who have continually predicted Ukraine's failure, only to be proven wrong time and time again. Colonel Macgregor, as an example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Macgregor
    edited August 16

We Think Poll

Labour Party 27%

Liberal Democrats 9%

Conservative 16%

Scottish National Party (SNP) 2%

Plaid Cymru 1%

Reform UK 17%

Green Party 7%

A different party 1%

An independent 3%

Don't know 7%

Would choose not to vote 10%

Scone 52%
    Scone 44%
    Creamy Thing 1%
    Other 3%
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

As somebody once said, "let's get serious".

Scone - ideally home made, certainly warm. I'm happy with a plain scone, others prefer raisins.

Clotted Cream - usually Rodda's if you don't make your own but I'm sure there are some fantastic ones elsewhere in Cornwall.

Jam - again, if you make your own, go for it. My mother made her own quince jam and it was a delight on scones. If you aren't in the jam making business, it has to be Tiptree "Little Scarlet" for strawberry jam.

Nah. The king of jams is indeed Tiptree - but their loganberry.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    edited August 16

Labour Party 27%

Liberal Democrats 9%

Conservative 16%

Plaid Cymru 1%

Reform UK 17%

Green Party 7%

A different party 1%

An independent 3%

Don't know 7%

Scone 52%
    Scone 44%
    Creamy Thing 1%
    Other 3%
    Need to see the subsample VI split of The People Who Say 'Scon'
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649

KnightOut said:

Is it vegan???
    No, that’s venison.
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

How do you say it?

Funny one, this.
    I was not the one suggesting she would called a scone to rhyme with gone so the onus of proof is on the people who think she would have got it right
    No, you claimed she pronounced it "scown" first, so the onus is on you to prove that!

"No she would have pronounced it scown because she always got it wrong" - Pagan2, 7:28pm
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,886
    mercator said:

MattW said:

FF43 said:

Scone (pronounced "scoon") is where the stone (rhymes with bone in English) comes from. The Stone of Scone is installed in the new museum in Perth. After your visit you can go to the cafe and have some scones (rhymes with gone. And highly recommended. They are excellent)

Why did the Scots choose a name for their national headquarters (or whatever it was) that rhymes with goon, hoon and loon?

Just asking ...
    Goon and hoon are twentieth century by the looks of it, and loon means something different from what you think it means in Scotland.
    I haven't told you what I think it means :smile: .

Labour Party 27%

Liberal Democrats 9%

Conservative 16%

Plaid Cymru 1%

Reform UK 17%

Green Party 7%

A different party 1%

An independent 3%

Don't know 7%

Scone 52%
    Scone 44%
    Creamy Thing 1%
    Other 3%
    Thought those seemed odd numbers until I spotted “would choose not to vote”. So for simplicity just increase each party by 10/9.

Lab 30
    Con 18
    Ref 19
    LD 10
    Grn 8
    I’m on team scon. Nice too see this one is weirdly non class based and also with an unusual regional pattern.
  • EScrymgeourEScrymgeour Posts: 136
    Scawn. That's it settled.
    edited August 16

stodge said:

Scone - ideally home made, certainly warm. I'm happy with a plain scone, others prefer raisins.

Clotted Cream - usually Rodda's if you don't make your own but I'm sure there are some fantastic ones elsewhere in Cornwall.

Jam - again, if you make your own, go for it. My mother made her own quince jam and it was a delight on scones. If you aren't in the jam making business, it has to be Tiptree "Little Scarlet" for strawberry jam.

Bon Maman Fraises. Painful to admit the French make better jam but hard facts need to be faced.
    TimS said:

Labour Party 27%

Liberal Democrats 9%

Conservative 16%

Plaid Cymru 1%

Reform UK 17%

Green Party 7%

A different party 1%

An independent 3%

Don't know 7%

Scone 52%
    Scone 44%
    Creamy Thing 1%
    Other 3%
    Thought those seemed odd numbers until I spotted “would choose not to vote”. So for simplicity just increase each party by 10/9.

Lab 30
    Con 18
    Ref 19
    LD 10
    Grn 8
    Scone leads Scone 54/46 if you redistribute creamy thing and other
    TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

The big warm blooded version of moths visited us last night. It was strangely frightening at the time, in a doomy gothic sort of way, and amusing now.

I woke at around 5am (still dark here in France) needing a wee, and hearing a regular fluttering. Came back from the loo and wife said “we have a bat”.

After switching on the light we realised we did indeed have a bat flying around our bedroom. Then we noticed a second one. Then a third, out in the landing.

Half an hour of mad flapping ensued, both by us and the bats. Finally got them by swiping them out of the air with large cushions, trapping and putting them outside.

Will they be back tonight? One thing’s for sure: we’ll not be leaving windows open tonight despite the temperature.
    Unless you are sure they aren't Daubenton's Bats, don't pick them up. Daubenton's carry a form of rabies that is fatal to humans.

(This is a UK-centric post but as I don't know if any Frrench species also have rabies, best not to take the risk....)
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,283
    Pagan2 said:

If god was to ever write a commandment...she would be all "Yeah fruit scones don't eat them or fuck off"

Plain scones with cream and jam.

Sultana scones with butter.
    I saw a venison scone once. It was one of about a dozen enormous scones, which proudly proclaimed they were made from eight haunches of venison.

But I couldn’t buy them. They were just two deer.
    Warwickshire

Metro Bank One Day Cup
    @onedaycup
    ·
    1h
    Innings of the tournament. Case closed.

Kai Smith, 19, came in at 77-5, needing another 210 for victory.

His previous high-score in 21 matches was 44, but he blasted 130* off 104 to carry his team to the semi-finals of the Metro Bank One Day Cup.

Fairy-tale stuff.

stodge said:

Bon Maman Fraises. Painful to admit the French make better jam but hard facts need to be faced.
    Heresy, you cheese-eating surrender monkey!

The Ukrainians are removing Lenin statues in Kursk oblast. Ironic given that Putin blames Lenin for Ukrainian independence in the first place.

Rather more iconic than removing toilets....
  • mercatormercator Posts: 815
    MattW said:

mercator said:

MattW said:

FF43 said:

Scone (pronounced "scoon") is where the stone (rhymes with bone in English) comes from. The Stone of Scone is installed in the new museum in Perth. After your visit you can go to the cafe and have some scones (rhymes with gone. And highly recommended. They are excellent)

Why did the Scots choose a name for their national headquarters (or whatever it was) that rhymes with goon, hoon and loon?

Just asking ...
    Goon and hoon are twentieth century by the looks of it, and loon means something different from what you think it means in Scotland.
    I haven't told you what I think it means :smile: .
    No, but your question is a bit short of point and pith unless you think it is derogatory.
    Who would make the Best Prime Minister?

🟥 SKS 26% (-4)
    🟪 Nigel Farage 20% (+6)
    🟦 Rishi Sunak 10% (-1)

Via
    @WeThink
    TimS said:

Labour Party 27%

Liberal Democrats 9%

Conservative 16%

Plaid Cymru 1%

Reform UK 17%

Green Party 7%

A different party 1%

An independent 3%

Don't know 7%

Scone 52%
    Scone 44%
    Creamy Thing 1%
    Other 3%

Lab 30
    Con 18
    Ref 19
    LD 10
    Grn 8
    Lab 33
    Con 20
    Ref 21
    LD 11
    Grn 8
    without the DKs.

We Think 7-8 August.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#Election_polling

To those PBers who predicted a Labour meltdown after the riots: Feeling a bit silly now?
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,283

stodge said:

Heresy, you cheese-eating surrender monkey!
    Tiptree "Little Scarlett", if you can stand the price and the sweetness.
    edited August 16

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

How do you say it?

Funny one, this.
    No, you claimed she pronounced it "scown" first, so the onus is on you to prove that!

"No she would have pronounced it scown because she always got it wrong" - Pagan2, 7:28pm
    I love that this inconsequential, yet bitter debate has descended into an argument over how it's pronounced by a fictional character.

🟥 SKS 26% (-4)
    🟪 Nigel Farage 20% (+6)
    🟦 Rishi Sunak 10% (-1)

Via
    @WeThink

No Green Tories in the list??

Scawn. That's it settled.

Is that scawn to rhyme with lawn ?

Rather more iconic than removing toilets....
    Why did Lenin wear shoes and Stalin wear boots?

Because in Lenin’s time Russia was only ankle deep in shit.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,032
    Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

There is a slight class element to pronounciation of Scone, as the map shows those saying Scone like 'Gone' are highest in the North, Scotland and Wales while those pronouncing it like 'Gone' are more likely to live in London, the South and East (outside of Norfolk).

Well thats because you are all philistines who would fail making a bacon butty
    I thought you were Cornish?
    Cornish is jam first then cream devonians disagree
    Yes but the point above suggests most everyone agrees with this?
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215

darkage said:

darkage said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

The article doesn't say that. It just has a Think Tank opining that New Towns aren't a Silver Bullet.
    Alan is desperate to declare failure, almost before they've started.
    I remain cautiously optimistic - not least as the policy I predicted pre-election, and which he said wouldn't happen, seems to be happening.
    3% of available time gone and not a brick laid. Indeed not even a plan.

They are not hitting the ground running so the whole thing is back loaded., which sort of suggests theyll need to be building 400k houses a year, in the kast 3 years something this country hasnt done for half a century.

You let your polemic blind you to what you would reject in your own workplace.
    I suspect that, like most of us, Starmer didn't expect Sunak to call the election when he did. Hitting the ground running is therefore more difficult, since plans hadn't been completed. Close to completion, maybe, but.
    And it wasn't the best idea to have to start off with a recess.
    The idea that new towns won't take years of planning - nothing of that scale has taken less than years of planning, in my lifetime....
    Harlow was designated in 1947 and by the mid fifties was up and running.
    I ain't that old.

It would take 2-3 years to write the important docs, now
    Ah well, take it from one who was beginning to get 'aware' then. The 1945 Labour Government got on with things.
    It was simply a function of how things were, back then.

The idea of spending 1/4 Billion on plans for the Dartford Crossing would have been seen as insane, back then.

Yes, Starmer could bring forward primary legislation overriding the whole system. Then the Greens and the Lib Dems will go full NIMBY, ready for the local elections. And the entire Enquiry Industrial Complex would fire up *all* the legal challenges, to the concept of doing away with spending billions on report on planning things.
    The government could get on and do it - wipe out the report writing/consultant/public Inquiry industry. It can just be done in one swoop, pass an act of parliament that grants itself the power to grant planning permission for whatever it wants to do, delegating matters accordingly. Thus reinventing what it did in 1948, and which led to where we are now, 75 years later.
    Oh indeed he could.

Then, as I said, the NIMBYs plus the Enquiry Industrial Complex would raise a political and legal storm.

On the legal front, it would go to the Supreme Court. Probably multiple times.

On the political front, the local elections would become a referendum on this. The Greens would love more councillors. As would the Lib Dems. I would be the Conservatives would get in on the act.

Is Starmer the man to scrap a vast pile of *law*?
    I do wonder what they are thinking though, and where they get their ideas from. One plan, which is only slated for the green belt at the moment, is that the landowner doesn't get to benefit/profit from the increase in land values arising from obtaining planning permission. They would be forced to sell for existing use value (ie peanuts) and possibly a 20% increase. The only question this raises, is who would go through the decade long, multi million pound cost of getting planning permission, and the associated likelihood/risk of failure, for a 20% profit over the existing use value - ie probably tens of thousands of pounds in most cases. It would no longer be a commercially viable proposition. The state would have to requisition the land and get planning permission itself, taking on all the risk.
    I think that is the plan - the state purchase the land cheap.

They can then employee contractors to build the houses. Then flog them for a profit.

They hope.

Edit: or just sell the land with planning permission, divided into plots..
    It is certainly going to mean a lot compulsory purchase (the new growth area for the inquiry industrial complex, I can imagine the business plans being drafted now).

The other issue, is that councils are going to struggle to grant planning permission to themselves, because politics always rapidly comes in to play. Most of the land that has been developed over the last 20 years has been the result of an agressive strategic land promotion industry finding ways around local politics, if it is all left to the Council or even an arms length government agency, that dynamic no longer exists.

If the government get sucked in to the civil service project of 'reforms to local plans, simplifying and streamlining decision making', then the whole project is over before it starts, they are just adding a load more gunge in to the existing quagmire. They would need to do something like what I suggested upthread, direct the process of housebuilding like it is a national emergency, using primary legislation to essentially circumvent the existing planning
    system in some cases.

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

How do you say it?

Funny one, this.

Actually someone before me claimed she would have pronounced it scone to rhyme with gone.....she always fucked up so the implication was she got it wrong....evidence please she ever rhymed with gone. Mine was merely a response to that

🟥 SKS 26% (-4)
    🟪 Nigel Farage 20% (+6)
    🟦 Rishi Sunak 10% (-1)

Via
    @WeThink

How many did Jeremy Corbyn get?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,456
    edited August 16
    This debate seems insoluble on the question set, as there are about 4 different ways to say bone in Scotland alone, even ignoring Morningsidish.

Maybe TSE is trying to give us an insight into the current teenage angst with question setting.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273
    The wonder of t'Internet.
    Here is Ms. Bucket's recipe for scones. A lot of scrolling down later.
    Exceptionally disappointingly it doesn't say how to pronounce them.

http://hyacinthbucketscookbook.weebly.com/ch-5.html
    Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

How do you say it?

Funny one, this.

I love that this inconsequential, yet bitter debate has descended into an argument over how it's pronounced by a fictional character.
    sometimes people are so wrong they have to be beaten into submission :)
    ydoethur said:

I saw a venison scone once. It was one of about a dozen enormous scones, which proudly proclaimed they were made from eight haunches of venison.

But I couldn’t buy them. They were just two deer.

Cobblers! Here's one.

https://www.greatbritishfoodawards.com/recipes/venison-cobbler-with-cheddar-rosemary-scones
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,389
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Other way round, I thought? Posher is "gone".

If not my whole theory on why sconners are more vehement about it than scowners is complete tripe.
    To further complicate things, the town of Scone in Perthshire is pronounced "scoon".
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,332
    Andy_JS said:

RealClearPolitics is holding out on forecasting a Harris win because of a tie in their Pennsylvania polling average.

https://www.realclearpolling.com/maps/president/2024/no-toss-up/electoral-college
    https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/president/general/2024/pennsylvania/trump-vs-harris

Their averages are getting ever more ridiculous and Pennsylvania is perhaps the silliest. The number of polls that are simply ignored if they show a Harris lead is just daft, especially when the likes of Trafalgar and Rasmussen are given such weight.
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Not really. This is like serviette: people who are non-U desperately wanting to look like they are U.

Most places are entirely agnostic about it, and places like Hampshire where I am (which is relatively posh) tend to prefer "gone" because they don't have the class insecurities that Derbyshire and Essex have.
    I don't think there's a class element to it - or if there is, it's complex and nuanced. As is the geographical element.

All gone-rhymers in my family, whether from Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh or London, and regardless of which layer of the middle-middle to upper-middle classes we come frpm.
    Touch of groupthink there in the Cookie clan then. Are we sure there aren't family members who'd like to say "scown" but are too scared of the consequences?
    Well we inherit the pronunciation of confectionary items from our parents, so no surprise that we have it in common. But I've always found it moderately surprising that all four of my grandparents were sconners. I wish I'd asked them when they were alive whether it was true of their parents too.
    Going further back than my grandparents (Edinburgh/Manchester/Birmingham/London) generation I have antecedents in Sheffield and the Staffordshire Moorlands, so possibly there have been scowners at some point in the past. I've always beem curious when this got absorbed into the sconn mainstream of the family

🟥 SKS 26% (-4)
    🟪 Nigel Farage 20% (+6)
    🟦 Rishi Sunak 10% (-1)

Via
    @WeThink

41% IN 2017
    edited August 16
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Well we inherit the pronunciation of confectionary items from our parents, so no surprise that we have it in common. But I've always found it moderately surprising that all four of my grandparents were sconners. I wish I'd asked them when they were alive whether it was true of their parents too.
    Going further back than my grandparents (Edinburgh/Manchester/Birmingham/London) generation I have antecedents in Sheffield and the Staffordshire Moorlands, so possibly there have been scowners at some point in the past. I've always beem curious when this got absorbed into the sconn mainstream of the family
    That will be the black sheep of your family nods, you should feel yourself lucky to have such interesting criminals in your family tree I merely have pirates , wreckers and sheep rustlers,
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,065
    I am on a train. The shop in the station sells sandwiches. It has a new flavour: cheese and marmite sandwiches. I bought a pack.

They are not what you want on a hot train. 😃
    dixiedean said:

Hyacinth Bucket would surely be a scowner.
    viewcode said:

I am on a train. The shop in the station sells sandwiches. It has a new flavour: cheese and marmite sandwiches. I bought a pack.

They are not what you want on a hot train. 😃

The cheese has to be barnstone blue to work with marmite and a smidgeon of carrot chutney on fresh sliced bread

🟥 SKS 26% (-4)
    🟪 Nigel Farage 20% (+6)
    🟦 Rishi Sunak 10% (-1)

Via
    @WeThink

41% IN 2017
    39.9% doesn’t come to 41% even if it’s a John McDonnell costing.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,065
    edited August 16

Labour Party 27%

Liberal Democrats 9%

Conservative 16%

Plaid Cymru 1%

Reform UK 17%

Green Party 7%

A different party 1%

An independent 3%

Don't know 7%

Scone 52%
    Scone 44%
    Creamy Thing 1%
    Other 3%
    Need to see the subsample VI split of The People Who Say 'Scon'
    Would that include the Scottish Blues. Which would - of course! - be the Scon Scons 😃
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,962
    Of course, given how the letters o-n-e may be pronounced, scohn (sounds-like-bone) and sconn (sounds-like-gone) aren’t the only choices. Just the two that we use.

If you want to be individual, there is always scun (sounds-like-none).
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813
    On topic: I'm on the side of County Durham in the pronunciation battle. Scone rhymes with gone. The alternative is poncey and weird.

Elsewhere, the new Home Secretary has been heard to sympathise with the struggles of contemporary teenagers. Whatever else we think of the change of Government we may, perhaps, reflect on the blessing of having people in charge who don't have an absolute, visceral hatred of the young.
    Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

Does that rhyme with downer ?

Of course, given how the letters o-n-e may be pronounced, scohn (sounds-like-bone) and sconn (sounds-like-gone) aren’t the only choices. Just the two that we use.

Except none and gone rhyme.
    In any sensible accent.
    Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

Does that rhyme with downer ?
    I keep reading it like that.
    edited August 16

SND is unambiguous. Complete with phonetics: skɔn

https://dsl.ac.uk/entry/snd/scone
    That is quite funny.

We gave “thoughts and prayers.”
    Did you want something more??

https://x.com/kevinmyoung/status/1824087355407446378
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,332
    New season looking the same as the old so far as United's finishing is concerned.
    pigeon said:

On topic: I'm on the side of County Durham in the pronunciation battle. Scone rhymes with gone. The alternative is poncey and weird.

Elsewhere, the new Home Secretary has been heard to sympathise with the struggles of contemporary teenagers. Whatever else we think of the change of Government we may, perhaps, reflect on the blessing of having people in charge who don't have an absolute, visceral hatred of the young.

Hm. Let's see what they do with education then. Fine words butter no parsnips. Early signs aren't good.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,507
    DavidL said:

mercator said:

MattW said:

FF43 said:

Just asking ...
    Not sure about the whole of Scotland but certainly in the north east. I miss our contributions from @fitalass and @fitaloon. It simply means a man.
    Possibly on the younger side. Auld loon might tend towards the disrespectful.
    Carnyx said:

This debate seems insoluble on the question set, as there are about 4 different ways to say bone in Scotland alone, even ignoring Morningsidish.

Maybe TSE is trying to give us an insight into the current teenage angst with question setting.

How do Morningsiders pronounce it then? My gran was from Morningside and she was always scon.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

This is the most on topic thread in the history of PB.

Where is Leon when you need a tangential parallel thread?
This discussion has been closed.