Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Something weird may be happening – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• kjhkjh Posts: 11,517
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Doh - I have only just thought of this:

@leon thinks I should give up my dog because of the damage he does to the environment - fair point

@leon are you going to give up flying because of the damage you do to the environment?

lol, you've only just thought of that???

No, I won't give up flying because it is my job. I minimise my footprint elsewhere, I have no car, I use public transport, I HAVE NO PETS, I have a small flat, I tread as lightly as I can

Owning a pet is not a job, it is your CHOICE

Yep I only just thought of it hence the 'Doh' for being an idiot.

But you realise you have done it yet again don't you. My whole point was that you are harsh on people for being idiots, but we are all idiots from time to time and we all don't know stuff. You are very intolerant when people don't know stuff so I was just giving you a bit of your own medicine, because a sudden realisation to you was really old news to a number of us and you were so excited about it.

Oh and your job is as much of a choice as owning a dog. Both are big commitments. You could do something else. Our dog is probably as big a part of our lives as your job is to you.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,039

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

3 months in jail for falsely claiming to have been a victim of the riots seems a bit harsh.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/08/12/uk-riots-starmer-court-sentencing-southport/

"An asylum seeker who broadcast a TikTok video falsely claiming he was being chased during the riots has been jailed for three months. Dimitrie Stoica’s livestream in Derby was seen by 700 people on Wednesday in what a court heard was a deliberate attempt to “stir up racial hatred”. The 35-old-old Romanian father of three told Southern Derbyshire Magistrates’ Court the video was a “joke” and he had hoped to get more followers."

I don't think so. EVERYTHING about the riots is seen as a challenge to the status quo and so it is being quite brutally repressed. Think Sparticus.
    Not been any crucifixions around here yet. Is this how you English amuse yourselves now that the Olympics are over?
    No riots either. I see BBC Scotland have actually addressed that rather obvious lacuna in the official BBC term "UK riots" but tried to conclude that of course we Scots are gagging for a riot or three really.
    Didn't Scotland also escape riots in 2011? Although the weather was rather damper in North Britain at the time.

There is, however, another possibility. Perhaps having an avowedly nationalistic government in power north of the border gives a more centrist home to those who love their country? While down south to be English and proud is to be despised?
    Wales also has it’s own government, and no riots. I don’t understand why the English don’t want their own government.
    I met a fella last Christmas who had moved to Wales - and as far as he was concerned he was now Welsh. "I really like it. They're a very patriotic people. They love their country."
    Delving further, it turned out what he loved was that he was no longer supposed to be ashamed of his country. He lived in a country where he was now allowed to be one of the good guys and where the purveyors of culture didn't look down on him.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Oh god, PB free speech warriors. Just shut the fuck up you precious little cherries.

Must be pretty difficult to have longed for Labour all this time, and when they come in they are a deeply sinister and ugly cadre without any element of 'Labour' but with a death hold on democracy. "Are we the baddies?" springs to mind.
    I've noted this in lefty friends already. A kind of nervous disappointment. "Jesus are they really this pathetic? Do they have zero ideas?" - but expressed in milder terms and an anxious voice, "let's wait and see, nevertheless", "its not great but it's early days"

However my friends might be completely unrepresentative and Labour voters up and down the land could be delighted with our new government. Like you, I'd love to see a proper poll. It's time
    No, it's past time:

Lab 39%, Con 20%, Ref 16%, LD 11%, Green 9%

https://wethink.report/polls/65-of-voters-knew-who-they-would-vote-for-before-the-campaign-started/
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,763

Leon said:

kjh said:

@leon thinks I should give up my dog because of the damage he does to the environment - fair point

@leon are you going to give up flying because of the damage you do to the environment?

No, I won't give up flying because it is my job. I minimise my footprint elsewhere, I have no car, I use public transport, I HAVE NO PETS, I have a small flat, I tread as lightly as I can

Unless you're a slave, your job is your choice too.

Anyway, I accept you do you bit for the environment by not having a pet and that offsets to some extent the ridiculous amount of flying you do.

We don't fly, that offsets our pet.

Now, stop trying to interfere with everyone else's lives.
    You forget that his job isn't just to fly all over...its to encourage others to do the same so he is also responsible at least in part for some of there climate footprint. I doubt his offsets such as not having a car or pet even come close to offsetting his airmiles and environmental damage even before you count in the airmiles of those that probably wouldn't have gone apart from that article in the gazette. His whole job is basically encouraging people to fuck the environment
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,103
    Andy_JS said:

Guess what electoral system is used to elect the president of Iceland? Answer = FPTP. Unusual for a Nordic country. They just had an election on 27th June and the new president took office on 1st August. The winner received 34%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_Icelandic_presidential_election

Tony Blair, defending FPTP, argued that other systems give small parties the balance of power, and influence disproportionate to their votes.[6]

Allowing people into the UK parliament who did not finish first in their constituency was described by David Cameron as creating a "Parliament full of second-choices who no one really wanted but didn't really object to either."[7]

Winston Churchill criticised the electoral outcomes of the alternative vote as "determined by the most worthless votes given for the most worthless candidates."[8]

[6] P. Dorey (17 June 2008). The Labour Party and Constitutional Reform: A History of Constitutional Conservatism. Palgrave Macmillan UK. pp. 400–. ISBN 978-0-230-59415-9.
    [7] David Cameron. "Why keeping first past the post is vital for democracy." Daily Telegraph. 30 Apr 2011
    [8] Larry Johnston (13 December 2011). Politics: An Introduction to the Modern Democratic State. University of Toronto Press. pp. 231–. ISBN 978-1-4426-0533-6
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Have we discovered Leon's latest slightly strange and OTT obsession?

If so, can we go back to him slagging off Newent?

The subtlety is that cats carry brain-modifying parasites, which hop to their owners (or, rather, the people who think they own the cats).

#wonderingwhoonPBhasthemindparasite
    I seem to recall a thriller based on that. Feline toxoplasmosis - which is a genuinely weird mind bending parasite, and which has been blamed in part for the witch burning craze, because it really did send cat owning old ladies a bit mad, thus getting them labelled as “a witch”

The thesis was that religious belief itself is created by an associated parasite, making people behave in religious ways that benefit the parasite (having lots of kids etc). It all started with the Egyptians and their weird cat worship (and the monotheism of Akhenaten)

Good theory. Solid
    Engineering Toxoplasma gondii secretion systems for intracellular delivery of multiple large therapeutic proteins to neurons

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41564-024-01750-6
    Delivering macromolecules across biological barriers such as the blood–brain barrier limits their application in vivo. Previous work has demonstrated that Toxoplasma gondii, a parasite that naturally travels from the human gut to the central nervous system (CNS), can deliver proteins to host cells. Here we engineered T. gondii’s endogenous secretion systems, the rhoptries and dense granules, to deliver multiple large (>100 kDa) therapeutic proteins into neurons via translational fusions to toxofilin and GRA16. We demonstrate delivery in cultured cells, brain organoids and in vivo, and probe protein activity using imaging, pull-down assays, scRNA-seq and fluorescent reporters. We demonstrate robust delivery after intraperitoneal administration in mice and characterize 3D distribution throughout the brain. As proof of concept, we demonstrate GRA16-mediated brain delivery of the MeCP2 protein, a putative therapeutic target for Rett syndrome. By characterizing the potential and current limitations of the system, we aim to guide future improvements that will be required for broader application.

Not one, but three separate delivery systems...
    There's quite number of parasites and infections that are persistent. "Mad Cat Lady" is almost certainly a thing and of course the Toxoplasma parasite also modifies mouse behaviour to make it more likely to be caught by a cat.

There is reasonable evidence that some of these persistent infections are causing Alzheimer's through inflammation.

Mrs Flatlander had Lyme, which is another one that can hide away for decades with unknown effects.
    Poor Mrs F. That's definitely one to be aware of, esp if bitten by a tick.
    There seem to be more ticks in the environment these days. Don't know why. Climate?

They seem to be bad on the Scottish west coast in spring but the offending tick in this case was picked up in North Nottinghamshire.

It was caught early so apart from damaging the environment by taking antibiotics for 3 weeks, no obvious harm was done.

GPs seems pretty poor at knowing the correct prescription and we had to wave the NICE guidelines around. A friend got it recently and had been given only a week's worth, which is not correct.
    No hard winters of late? Worse here too in the eastern lowlands in the sense we've noticed them in ordinary local countryside rather than the moors - though we have deer living around (and in) our little town, anyway.
    Yes, probably winter climate. That and too many deer - even here.

I'm not looking forward to Tick-borne encephalitis spreading.

Someone apparently caught it from a tick in Dalby Forest (North Yorks Moors), which is a little alarming.
    On the shuttle now. It's still sweltering. Blighty in 30 minutes!
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    Taz said:

Jaguar to pause production for a year and won't sell a car while it ramps up to EV only.

I am sure the dozens of fans of the brand will be devastated.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/jaguar-won-t-sell-cars-for-a-whole-year-as-it-ramps-up-ev-only-rebrand/ar-AA1oEEkh?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=582ac66f8fa94d6fb72d4255f64bc8dd&ei=14

I don't have an MBA or a fucking LinkedIn profile but it seems to me that not selling cars for a year isn't a great strategy for a car company.

I guess the LR of JLR will have to do a hard carry of the J.

This BEV super GT they are betting the company on seems like it would have been a great product in 2021. In 2026 it will have stiff competition from cars that don't feel and look like they were assembled by children.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,290
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

But you realise you have done it yet again don't you. My whole point was that you are harsh on people for being idiots, but we are all idiots from time to time and we all don't know stuff. You are very intolerant when people don't know stuff so I was just giving you a bit of your own medicine, because a sudden realisation to you was really old news to a number of us and you were so excited about it.

Oh and your job is as much of a choice as owning a dog. Both are big commitments. You could do something else. Our dog is probably as big a part of our lives as your job is to you.
    This really isn't going anywhere

I believe owning cats and dogs is a deeply selfish act which seriously damages the envirionment in ways we are only beginning to grasp. I am therefore surprised that people who claim to care about the environment are happy to be such hypocrites and keep a pet

Nonetheless we all have our own useful double standards, I am sure I do, so let's leave it there
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Become a male model? Knap flints? Write airport thrillers?
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,102
    edited August 12

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

The subtlety is that cats carry brain-modifying parasites, which hop to their owners (or, rather, the people who think they own the cats).

I seem to recall a thriller based on that. Feline toxoplasmosis - which is a genuinely weird mind bending parasite, and which has been blamed in part for the witch burning craze, because it really did send cat owning old ladies a bit mad, thus getting them labelled as “a witch”

The thesis was that religious belief itself is created by an associated parasite, making people behave in religious ways that benefit the parasite (having lots of kids etc). It all started with the Egyptians and their weird cat worship (and the monotheism of Akhenaten)

Good theory. Solid
    Engineering Toxoplasma gondii secretion systems for intracellular delivery of multiple large therapeutic proteins to neurons

Delivering macromolecules across biological barriers such as the blood–brain barrier limits their application in vivo. Previous work has demonstrated that Toxoplasma gondii, a parasite that naturally travels from the human gut to the central nervous system (CNS), can deliver proteins to host cells. Here we engineered T. gondii’s endogenous secretion systems, the rhoptries and dense granules, to deliver multiple large (>100 kDa) therapeutic proteins into neurons via translational fusions to toxofilin and GRA16. We demonstrate delivery in cultured cells, brain organoids and in vivo, and probe protein activity using imaging, pull-down assays, scRNA-seq and fluorescent reporters. We demonstrate robust delivery after intraperitoneal administration in mice and characterize 3D distribution throughout the brain. As proof of concept, we demonstrate GRA16-mediated brain delivery of the MeCP2 protein, a putative therapeutic target for Rett syndrome. By characterizing the potential and current limitations of the system, we aim to guide future improvements that will be required for broader application.

There's quite number of parasites and infections that are persistent. "Mad Cat Lady" is almost certainly a thing and of course the Toxoplasma parasite also modifies mouse behaviour to make it more likely to be caught by a cat.

There is reasonable evidence that some of these persistent infections are causing Alzheimer's through inflammation.

Mrs Flatlander had Lyme, which is another one that can hide away for decades with unknown effects.
    There seem to be more ticks in the environment these days. Don't know why. Climate?

They seem to be bad on the Scottish west coast in spring but the offending tick in this case was picked up in North Nottinghamshire.

It was caught early so apart from damaging the environment by taking antibiotics for 3 weeks, no obvious harm was done.

GPs seems pretty poor at knowing the correct prescription and we had to wave the NICE guidelines around. A friend got it recently and had been given only a week's worth, which is not correct.
    Massive increase in deer population with them spreading into far more places they were previously absent. Deers are a major vector for ticks - the main tick causing issues in the UK is variously known as the sheep or deer tick. Ticks have always been a problem in areas of the country where deer and sheep are dominant - although sheep are still dipped for ticks - but the 4 fold increase in deer populations in the last 40 years means ticks are now being brought into many more owland areas.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,572
    Andy_JS said:

Anyone agree?

"Self-checkouts have been a self-inflicted disaster for Britain
    Crime-ridden grocery giants forget that speaking to a human is all customers want
    Lucy Burton"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/08/12/self-checkouts-self-inflicted-disaster-britain/

It may be what customers want. But do they want it enough to pay for it in higher prices or reduced convenience? Going back to the first self-service supermarkets, the answer has been "not really".
    Cookie said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

3 months in jail for falsely claiming to have been a victim of the riots seems a bit harsh.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/08/12/uk-riots-starmer-court-sentencing-southport/

"An asylum seeker who broadcast a TikTok video falsely claiming he was being chased during the riots has been jailed for three months. Dimitrie Stoica’s livestream in Derby was seen by 700 people on Wednesday in what a court heard was a deliberate attempt to “stir up racial hatred”. The 35-old-old Romanian father of three told Southern Derbyshire Magistrates’ Court the video was a “joke” and he had hoped to get more followers."

I don't think so. EVERYTHING about the riots is seen as a challenge to the status quo and so it is being quite brutally repressed. Think Sparticus.
    Not been any crucifixions around here yet. Is this how you English amuse yourselves now that the Olympics are over?
    No riots either. I see BBC Scotland have actually addressed that rather obvious lacuna in the official BBC term "UK riots" but tried to conclude that of course we Scots are gagging for a riot or three really.
    Didn't Scotland also escape riots in 2011? Although the weather was rather damper in North Britain at the time.

There is, however, another possibility. Perhaps having an avowedly nationalistic government in power north of the border gives a more centrist home to those who love their country? While down south to be English and proud is to be despised?
    Wales also has it’s own government, and no riots. I don’t understand why the English don’t want their own government.
    I met a fella last Christmas who had moved to Wales - and as far as he was concerned he was now Welsh. "I really like it. They're a very patriotic people. They love their country."
    Delving further, it turned out what he loved was that he was no longer supposed to be ashamed of his country. He lived in a country where he was now allowed to be one of the good guys and where the purveyors of culture didn't look down on him.
    I can understand that. Unfortunately the EDL and other right-wing thugs have made pride in England a suspect thing.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,056
    Rural rightwing fox hunters are certainly a minority of the population now and may need protection from saboteurs etc as long as doing legal drag hunting not actual fox hunting

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Oh god, PB free speech warriors. Just shut the fuck up you precious little cherries.

Must be pretty difficult to have longed for Labour all this time, and when they come in they are a deeply sinister and ugly cadre without any element of 'Labour' but with a death hold on democracy. "Are we the baddies?" springs to mind.
    I've noted this in lefty friends already. A kind of nervous disappointment. "Jesus are they really this pathetic? Do they have zero ideas?" - but expressed in milder terms and an anxious voice, "let's wait and see, nevertheless", "its not great but it's early days"

However my friends might be completely unrepresentative and Labour voters up and down the land could be delighted with our new government. Like you, I'd love to see a proper poll. It's time
    No, it's past time:

https://wethink.report/polls/65-of-voters-knew-who-they-would-vote-for-before-the-campaign-started/
    As I pointed out to you when you first posted this, that poll is ancient. July 11-12. Quite a few "things" have happened since then. We need a new one
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649
    HYUFD said:

Rural rightwing fox hunters are certainly a minority of the population now and may need protection from saboteurs etc as long as doing legal drag hunting not actual fox hunting
    Perhaps we could combine the two topics and have them only hunt cats?

(This was once proposed by a peer in I think the 1970s who was bored and wanted to troll people.)

Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Anyway, I accept you do you bit for the environment by not having a pet and that offsets to some extent the ridiculous amount of flying you do.

Interfere with people's lives is what lefties DO

And cats and dogs are killing all the wildlife and destroying our rivers, so no, I won't shut up
    I wonder whether social media has anything to do with the burgeoning number of mutts and kitties. People just seem to love putting "cute" posts of their pets doing amusing things, or adopting poignant/wistful attitudes. Anthropomorphism gone mad.
    Almost certainly

Also for a lot of people a pet is a surrogate child. As birth rates decline, pet ownership rises, and all the birds and bees die out...

It really is quite dystopian
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

No, it's past time:

As I pointed out to you when you first posted this, that poll is ancient. July 11-12. Quite a few "things" have happened since then. We need a new one
    It would just produce a Labour bias like the GE polls did
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,262

kinabalu said:

I will remember that next time I think about defending some fucking stupid comment you have made.

Indeed getting you to shut the fuck up might become my new hobby.
    Well that's easy. I'm not one to bang on. But look I'll tell you what bugs me - the ridiculous hyperbole. Hyperbole is a mortal enemy of valuable discourse. It kills it stone dead.

By all means debate if and how and who is best to regulate stuff that is 'legal but' - eg racist drivel or lies/misinformation about vaccines or crimes or protests etc. But please let's not have any of this "we'll soon be like North Korea" shit. All that does is caricature the issue and disrespect the people who really do live in regimes with no freedom of speech.

(not saying you do this btw - just replying to you because you replied to me)
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,045
    Andy_JS said:

Guess what electoral system is used to elect the president of Iceland? Answer = FPTP. Unusual for a Nordic country. They just had an election on 27th June and the new president took office on 1st August. The winner received 34%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_Icelandic_presidential_election

Well the other Nordic countries are monarchies except Finland which has elections with a top 2 runoff if no candidate gets over 50%.

It's not as if you can use PR for electing a president unless you have some kind of jobshare in proportion to votes obtained.

The Icelandic parliament uses PR.
    HYUFD said:

But not special protection - just the same protection anyone should get from people intent on preventing them from going about their lawful activities.

But in this case Swales is clearly not talking about drag hunting:

"We’re picking up the foxes or the hares or the deer or the rabbits that are either old, they’ve got no teeth, they can die of starvation, or they’ve got the disease, or they’re just not adapted to outperforming a dog in that chase. So we’re happy with that natural selectivity.”
    Breaking - Tom Daley announces retirement from diving

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/articles/ce31n00z631o
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,517
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

This really isn't going anywhere

I believe owning cats and dogs is a deeply selfish act which seriously damages the envirionment in ways we are only beginning to grasp. I am therefore surprised that people who claim to care about the environment are happy to be such hypocrites and keep a pet

Nonetheless we all have our own useful double standards, I am sure I do, so let's leave it there
    OK, but just for fun (it made me smile thinking of it) can you please change:

'in ways we are only beginning to grasp'

to

'in ways we have known about for a few years now'

:smiley::wink:

PS I agree with you that dogs and cats are bad for the environment. It is part of the choices we make. And it is my wife's dog really anyway (my cop out), BUT as I keep making clear I wasn't making an environmental argument but just winding you up (successfully which is a change) about not knowing.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,432

Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

And cats and dogs are killing all the wildlife and destroying our rivers, so no, I won't shut up
    I wonder whether social media has anything to do with the burgeoning number of mutts and kitties. People just seem to love putting "cute" posts of their pets doing amusing things, or adopting poignant/wistful attitudes. Anthropomorphism gone mad.
    My emotional support salt water crocodile is all love. All 3 tons of him.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,510
    HYUFD said:

Harry Kane next?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,370
    Olympics got lucky. 36 degrees in Paris today, too hot for athletics, even when it cools down.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,792
    A SUBMARINE captain has been sacked for making a sex tape while in command of Trident 2 nuclear missiles.
    https://x.com/jeromestarkey/status/1822916463990030363
    Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

You forget that his job isn't just to fly all over...its to encourage others to do the same so he is also responsible at least in part for some of there climate footprint. I doubt his offsets such as not having a car or pet even come close to offsetting his airmiles and environmental damage even before you count in the airmiles of those that probably wouldn't have gone apart from that article in the gazette. His whole job is basically encouraging people to fuck the environment
    I did forget that. And you're absolutely right, Leon doesn't give a f*ck about the environment. He's a total arse.

Fortunately he has no more power or influence than my pet dog.

Cookie said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

I can understand that. Unfortunately the EDL and other right-wing thugs have made pride in England a suspect thing.
    There is a nationalist right element in Wales too eg Reform got 16.9% in Wales on 4th July which was actually higher than the 15.3% Farage's party got in England

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_United_Kingdom_general_election_in_Wales#Results
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_United_Kingdom_general_election_in_England
    Andy_JS said:

Olympics got lucky. 36 degrees in Paris today, too hot for athletics, even when it cools down.

They lucked out on the opening ceremony night though.
    Leon said:

kjh said:

That is self-serving baloney. You pollute the environment way more than my cat. Not just on the carbon front either, also the realm of public discourse. Eg my cat has never to my knowledge spread lies on the internet intended to foment racial unrest.

(conscious I owe you a photo of him btw - it's coming it's coming)
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,207

So we're now criminalising 12 year olds. I mean seriously ?

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

That is self-serving baloney. You pollute the environment way more than my cat. Not just on the carbon front either, also the realm of public discourse. Eg my cat has never to my knowledge spread lies on the internet intended to foment racial unrest.

(conscious I owe you a photo of him btw - it's coming it's coming)
    Just accept you're a total hypocrite. You know it already, you just need to make that last move. Then you will feel better

HYUFD said:

Harry Kane next?
    Jack Grealish announcing his retirement from diving would be a bigger story.

The age of criminal responsibility is 10. However, this has more than a whiff of 18th century courts transporting kids for stealing loaves

Andy_JS said:

To "luck out" does not mean "to run out of luck", it means "to have extremely good luck"
    Leon said:

The age of criminal responsibility is 10. However, this has more than a whiff of 18th century courts transporting kids for stealing loaves
    This is give him a ticking off territory. The Judge Jeffires approach is just nonsense. I suppose the Left are up for bringing back hanging now.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,892
    edited August 12
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,912
    Leon said:

"Prosecutor Tess Kenyon told the court the boy was part of a group that gathered on July 31 outside a Holiday Inn hotel housing asylum seekers. During subsequent disorder in Manchester city centre on August 3, Ms Kenyon said the boy was “filmed by police kicking the front window of a vape shop”.

District Judge Joanne Hirst said the case was “very serious”, adding it was the first she had dealt with of a person “attending both incidents” of disorder.

She added: “He’s more involved in the violence and disorder than any other defendant I’ve seen coming through these courts, adult or child.”"

Seems reasonable that his case goes before the appropriate court.

10 is the age of criminal responsibility in the UK so we have been for decades
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,599

Sir Keir has played another blinder here. If he can get the Right to get all 'human rights' and proclaim that 12-year-olds are all little sweeties who can do no wrong then that's job done.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,912
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

To "luck out" does not mean "to run out of luck", it means "to have extremely good luck"
    True, although I hate the phrase, as it does indeed suggest that their luck was out. The poster was being sarcastic, I believe...
    edited August 12
    MattW said:

Oh fk off. this happens loads of times. Kids steam shops and theres not even a police visit. If justice cant get itseldf to treat us all the same then whats the point ?

Sir Keir has played another blinder here. If he can get the Right to get all 'human rights' and proclaim that 12-year-olds are all little sweeties who can do no wrong then that's job done.
    Justice for Shamima!
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,763

Leon said:

This is give him a ticking off territory. The Judge Jeffires approach is just nonsense. I suppose the Left are up for bringing back hanging now.
    “filmed by police kicking the front window of a vape shop”. This is ticking off territory? Stealing 1£'s worth of sweets when 12 is ticking off territory. Kicking the front window of a shop causing probably a couple of thousand pounds of damage isn't.

Idiotic post.

Starmer is simply setting himself up, Mr Macho cuts no ice.

Cookie said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Goes both ways though. When you are constantly told to be ashamed of your country (pace National Trust), taking pride in your country becomes a nicbe and subversive act.
    I've no doubt tge British Empire did some by modern standards terrible things. But I've also no doubt it was no worse than any other and better than most. But the French or the Arabs or the Chinese don't get taught that their own forebears were especially evil.
    edited August 12

Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Coincidentally I had a totally weird dream last night: We were meeting some friends in a room that was entirely underwater - somehow we could breathe, no idea how. Then we realised there was a 20ft crocodile in the room too (it was a big room).

No idea what Freud would say about that.
    Nigelb said:

A SUBMARINE captain has been sacked for making a sex tape while in command of Trident 2 nuclear missiles.

Where on earth did he find the space?
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Clearly he hadn't been keeping his own missile under control!
    If it's a British sub, I'm amazed there wasn't a technical malfunction.
    25 minutes into the journey and tge temperature feels like it is inching towards bearable. But won't actually get there until we get off again.
    Quite surprised to have mobile reception however.

kinabalu said:

Is that a joke? A good one if so but I suspect not. As for precious little cherries, that's usually in reference to people who want to stop free speech out of offence not maintain it. Maybe you trust Sir Keir as a benign despot to supervise speech appropriately?
    It was a joke with an edge. That's what I was going for anyway.

To clarify: I respect the opinion of everyone who is genuinely concerned about free speech, doesn't use stupid hyperbole about the "Stasi" or "North Korea" etc, doesn't fall for Musk's bollox about it, indeed the bollox of the Right generally on this, since most of them are hypocrites on the subject, look at Musk ffs, and who isn't primarily virtue-signalling about what a muscular liberal they are.

That should leave a fair few on here surely?
    Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

“filmed by police kicking the front window of a vape shop”. This is ticking off territory? Stealing 1£'s worth of sweets when 12 is ticking off territory. Kicking the front window of a shop causing probably a couple of thousand pounds of damage isn't.
    There are picture in Derry of firebombing, rock throwing and general thuggery. Who has been charged or are we back in green wogs territory ?
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,223

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

I did forget that. And you're absolutely right, Leon doesn't give a f*ck about the environment. He's a total arse.

Fortunately he has no more power or influence than my pet dog.
    Your pet dog at least has the power to make someone happy.
    edited August 12
    'BORIS JOHNSON SLAMS STARMER FOR BRANDING ANTI-IMMIGRATION PROTESTERS AS FAR-RIGHT EXTREMISTS

Johnson used his editorial column to pen an open letter to the UK's new PM, Keir Starmer, criticizing his branding of the public's concern over immigration as far-right extremism.

"I saw an astonishing statistic that 34% of the public actually support the protests – if not the violence associated with it.

Does that mean that more than a third of the UK population are 'far-right' in their views?

Nothing excuses the behavior of the rioters, and they deserve to be banged up.

But nothing excuses a Government that seems deaf to public concerns, and that suggests, moreover, that they actively dislike all members of the public who share those concerns."
    https://x.com/MarioNawfal/status/1822285946017947779

'Good for @BorisJohnson'
    https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1822296775736152553
    Let's remind ourselves of the top 3 parties at the election in terms of popular vote.

Lab 9.7 million
    Con 6.8 million
    RefUK 4.1 million

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_United_Kingdom_general_election#Full_results

MattW said:

Oh fk off. this happens loads of times. Kids steam shops and theres not even a police visit. If justice cant get itseldf to treat us all the same then whats the point ?
    If you want more police action against criminal kids, isn't this a step in the right direction? I am unclear what your objection is.
    @RobertJenrick
    Yesterday, 703 people came to the UK illegally.

Studies show each costs the taxpayer roughly £400,000 over their lifetime.

So the cost of not having a border for one day was £281 million.

Starmer’s decision to scrap, rather than strengthen, the Rwanda plan will be a disaster.
    https://x.com/RobertJenrick/status/1822950068015489511
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,559
    Cookie said:

Nigelb said:

A friend had a threesome in a single bed, anything is possible when passions are stirring.

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

There are picture in Derry of firebombing, rock throwing and general thuggery. Who has been charged or are we back in green wogs territory ?
    Rioting in Derry? Is there a y in the name of the day?
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Goes both ways though. When you are constantly told to be ashamed of your country (pace National Trust), taking pride in your country becomes a nicbe and subversive act.
    I've no doubt tge British Empire did some by modern standards terrible things. But I've also no doubt it was no worse than any other and better than most. But the French or the Arabs or the Chinese don't get taught that their own forebears were especially evil.
    Here is a 1974 article saying French textbooks are marginally better at teaching the evils of empire: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/0046760740030205

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

PSNI are busy charging people: https://www.psni.police.uk/latest-news/six-more-people-charged-relation-belfast-disorder
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,332
    edited August 12
    HYUFD said:

In Scotland its actually 12 since the Age of Criminal Responsibility (S) Act 2019 and, even after that age, there is a strong presumption in favour of diversion from non criminal disposals under the age of 16.

Under the UNCRC article 3 any decision made in respect of a child must be in the best interests of the child. This does not rule out prosecution if that is the best solution but it creates a presumption against it. The UK is a signatory to the Convention and I am surprised, from a Scottish perspective, that this was thought compatible.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,596

Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

The pandemic saw a big upsurge in the number of pet owners - such that somewhere around about two thirds of UK households now have one - with demand and hence prices sky-rocketing. Since the pandemic ended this has gone into reverse, and many dog refuges are full.

For those suddenly concerned about the environment, remember that having children, travelling the world, and eating lots of meat are all optional.

MattW said:

If you want more police action against criminal kids, isn't this a step in the right direction? I am unclear what your objection is.
    I fail to see how criminalising 12 yearolds is to the nations advantage. Staightening them out with education and some goals in life would be better all round.

But if Sir Keir wants to play Robocop let him, he's simply digging himself in to a bigger hole,
    All animlas are equal but some are more equal than others.
    HYUFD said:

@RobertJenrick
    Yesterday, 703 people came to the UK illegally.

Studies show each costs the taxpayer roughly £400,000 over their lifetime.

So the cost of not having a border for one day was £281 million.

Starmer’s decision to scrap, rather than strengthen, the Rwanda plan will be a disaster.
    https://x.com/RobertJenrick/status/1822950068015489511

Is Jenrick's maths right? Can that possibly be right?

Let's say he is right. Crunch the maths further. Not every day will be as bad as 703, of course, but let's use it anyway as that is the latest number (and some days will be worse, and the whole problem is getting worse)

£281 million a day x 365 days = an annual cost of asylum seekers over a lifetime of £102,565,000,000

One hundred and two BILLION, over a lifetime. And this cost over a lifetime is being incurred yearly and is growing yearly. No wonder we have no money

Of course, Jenrick might be wrong in his numbers

Cookie said:

Nigelb said:

A friend had a threesome in a single bed, anything is possible when passions are stirring.
    A pair of socks?
    ENGLAND!* We're home! Hooray!

*Albeit an obscure and distant corner of it, leaving us a good 5 hours driving yet.
    edited August 12
    Primrose Hill is doing fine.

"Jon Sopel
    @jonsopel

Crikey- you may be right ⁦@elonmusk⁩ - it feels like imminent civil war in London this evening - people from all races and religions sitting in the sun, having picnics, walking dogs, playing frisbee, enjoying the greatest city in the world. #edgy"

https://x.com/jonsopel/status/1822682617814163877
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,765
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Obviously groaning under the weight of the vast majority of Scots and Welsh MPs in the HoC, and all those Church of England bishes in the HoL.
    Well, plenty of them groan on here.
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

In Scotland its actually 12 since the Age of Criminal Responsibility (S) Act 2019 and, even after that age, there is a strong presumption in favour of diversion from non criminal disposals under the age of 16.

Under the UNCRC article 3 any decision made in respect of a child must be in the best interests of the child. This does not rule out prosecution if that is the best solution but it creates a presumption against it. The UK is a signatory to the Convention and I am surprised, from a Scottish perspective, that this was thought compatible.
    Maybe being prosecuted is in the interests of the child?
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,522
    On pets, I don’t believe we should ban them for myriad reasons. I’d certainly be in favour of greater regulation though. The number of abandoned animals in this country is devastating, and the “dog for Christmas, bunny for Easter” mentality is sadly alive and well.

In particular the lax regulation around pet store breeding and sales of small animals is unacceptable. I don’t believe that we should any longer be able to walk into a shop and leave 5 minutes later with a living animal. I would make it a mandatory duty that animal sales are accompanied by a check that proper standards of care/facilities have been met. Of course, that would lay bare the fact that much that is sold (enclosures etc) for small animals is actually not at all satisfactory for their needs but perhaps people need to be made aware that looking after an animals needs is a much greater undertaking than many think.

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

It can be when that is the only way that it is bring the child under control or extract them from a dangerous or damaging environment. As I said the Convention does not rule that out. But it should be the last resort.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,596

On pets, I don’t believe we should ban them for myriad reasons. I’d certainly be in favour of greater regulation though. The number of abandoned animals in this country is devastating, and the “dog for Christmas, bunny for Easter” mentality is sadly alive and well.

In particular the lax regulation around pet store breeding and sales of small animals is unacceptable. I don’t believe that we should any longer be able to walk into a shop and leave 5 minutes later with a living animal. I would make it a mandatory duty that animal sales are accompanied by a check that proper standards of care/facilities have been met. Of course, that would lay bare the fact that much that is sold (enclosures etc) for small animals is actually not at all satisfactory for their needs but perhaps people need to be made aware that looking after an animals needs is a much greater undertaking than many think.

I believe it's Germany where, as well as their long-standing dog licensing system, there is, or is going to be, a mandatory test for dog owners? And in Spain you now need liability insurance.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Here I've got a joke for you.

What do you call a person who loves to immerse himself in reading about a vast range of subjects he never studied formally but somehow ends up with a dogmatic extreme opinion on all of it.

An autodiktat. :smile:
    Cookie said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

England needs more people like you, proud to be English in a non-violent way, to take back Englishness from the EDL types and the Faragists.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

It can be when that is the only way that it is bring the child under control or extract them from a dangerous or damaging environment. As I said the Convention does not rule that out. But it should be the last resort.
    Who makes such charging decisions ?
    Presumably not SKS, in this case.

Cookie said:

Nigelb said:

Nick?
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,040

Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Coincidentally I had a totally weird dream last night: We were meeting some friends in a room that was entirely underwater - somehow we could breathe, no idea how. Then we realised there was a 20ft crocodile in the room too (it was a big room).

He would prescribe 12 months of analysis, three times a week, at £100 a session.

At least, that's what his acolytes do.
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Perhaps we could combine the two topics and have them only hunt cats?

(This was once proposed by a peer in I think the 1970s who was bored and wanted to troll people.)
    Lord Leon of Camden.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Why should it be the last resort and not the first?
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,040
    DavidL said:

Cookie said:

Nigelb said:

Nick?
    Did you mean to type Nice?

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

PSNI are busy charging people: https://www.psni.police.uk/latest-news/six-more-people-charged-relation-belfast-disorder
    Belfast isnt Derry
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Who makes such charging decisions ?
    Presumably not SKS, in this case.
    In Scotland it is the COPFS (for whom I work). I'm presuming in England it would be the Crown Prosecution Service. Both institutions will work closely with Social Work, Education and other relevant agencies.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,489

Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

He would prescribe 12 months of analysis, three times a week, at £100 a session.

At least, that's what his acolytes do.
    Depends when the gaps in the diary are - could equally be Tuesday & Thursday so twice a week.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,746
    Nigelb said:

Explosive footage?
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,968
    HYUFD said:

'BORIS JOHNSON SLAMS STARMER FOR BRANDING ANTI-IMMIGRATION PROTESTERS AS FAR-RIGHT EXTREMISTS

Johnson used his editorial column to pen an open letter to the UK's new PM, Keir Starmer, criticizing his branding of the public's concern over immigration as far-right extremism.

"I saw an astonishing statistic that 34% of the public actually support the protests – if not the violence associated with it.

Does that mean that more than a third of the UK population are 'far-right' in their views?

But nothing excuses a Government that seems deaf to public concerns, and that suggests, moreover, that they actively dislike all members of the public who share those concerns."

'Good for @BorisJohnson'

The 34% of the UK population support the protests. This includes most Reform voters and half of Conservatives, per the YouGov analysis.

Johnson doesn't mention the 66% of the population who want nothing to do with any of it. This is everyone else. The Tories will deservedly be out of power until they face up to their racism problem.

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Good theory. Solid

Massive increase in deer population with them spreading into far more places they were previously absent. Deers are a major vector for ticks - the main tick causing issues in the UK is variously known as the sheep or deer tick. Ticks have always been a problem in areas of the country where deer and sheep are dominant - although sheep are still dipped for ticks - but the 4 fold increase in deer populations in the last 40 years means ticks are now being brought into many more owland areas.
    Our dogs’ flea and tick treatment causes any ticks to die and fall off. However, there are parts of Argyll and the Highlands where we are extremely wary of taking the dogs.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,522
    IanB2 said:

I believe it's Germany where, as well as their long-standing dog licensing system, there is, or is going to be, a mandatory test for dog owners? And in Spain you now need liability insurance.
    I do believe that Germany are ahead of the curve on some of these topics, yes, though I don’t have a firm grasp on the specifics.

I would love it if we got to a state of affairs where pets aren’t seen as cuddly accessories, particularly for children. That’s not to say children shouldn’t have pets, but they should have them under appropriate supervision, and to teach them how to be responsible and to care for something appropriately and long term (which I am sure many parents do teach , but sadly too few).
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

'Good for @BorisJohnson'

The 34% of the UK population support the protests. This includes most Reform voters and half of Conservatives, per the YouGov analysis.

Johnson doesn't mention the 66% of the population who want nothing to do with any of it. This is everyone else. The Tories will deservedly be out of power until they face up to their racism problem.

Not true

"Sympathies with the views of those taking part in the protests are somewhat broader – six in ten Britons (58%) say they have a great deal or fair amount of sympathy for the views of those peacefully taking part in demonstrations that were ostensibly triggered by the Southport murders. This includes majorities of Labour and Lib Dem voters (53-56%), as well as two-thirds of Conservatives (64%), with Reform voters are most sympathetic at 83%."

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/50257-the-public-reaction-to-the-2024-riots
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,913

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Good theory. Solid

I'm doing my best but two venison burgers a day does get tiring. Venison and cranberry pie at the weekend, experimenting with eggs and venison for breakfast.
    IanB2 said:

Germany is also bringing in laws against cats straying outdoors
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Almost certainly

Also for a lot of people a pet is a surrogate child. As birth rates decline, pet ownership rises, and all the birds and bees die out...

It really is quite dystopian
    First sex education talk with your young children. “But Daddy, what are birds and bees?”
This discussion has been closed.