Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP move up 3 to 19% in latest Lord Ashcroft phone poll

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited December 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP move up 3 to 19% in latest Lord Ashcroft phone poll

UKIP the main mover in this week's @LordAshcroft phone poll
LAB 31-1: CON 30=: LD 8+1: UKIP 19+3: GRN 5%-1 pic.twitter.com/bRz4vZA8YR

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited December 2014
    Sleazy broken Labour on the slide.

We really need Lord Ashcroft to do some Scotland constituency polling though
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    edited December 2014
    Think how well UKIP could be doing if it wasn't for the constant gaffes and the drag on their support that is Nigel Farage eh?
  • Options
    Always said AV created a majority where none exists.

I'm glad I said No2AV

A Labour party polling 31% and then getting 53% would be an obscenity.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited December 2014
    isam said:

Think how well UKIUP could be doing if it wasn't for the constant gaffes and the drag on their support that is Nigel Farage eh?

or indeed if there wasn't so many blinkin immigrants in the UK diluting all the kippers
  • Options
    Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB
    UKIP the main mover in this week's @LordAshcroft phone poll
    LAB 31-1: CON 30=: LD 8+1: UKIP 19+3: GRN 5%-1

"Fine, but almost totally irrelevant. National poll shares do NOT determine the election." - OGH, 7th Dec 2014

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    edited December 2014
    Is this a joint all-time high for UKIP with Ashcroft?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    I take it this is the hors d'oeuvres. When is the main course of ICM being served?

Isn't d'oeuvres a brilliant scrabble word? Must remember that. Always end up with a tray of vowels.
  • Options
    Bobajob_Bobajob_ Posts: 195
    Cor, an AV threadette! What sordid favours must we have proffered to deserve such rich indulgence!?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I take it this is the hors d'oeuvres. When is the main course of ICM being served?

Isn't d'oeuvres a brilliant scrabble word? Must remember that. Always end up with a tray of vowels.

ICM is likely to be out next week, no ICM this week.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Surprised at the number of Conservative voters putting Labour as second choice.
  • Options
    isam said:

Think how well UKIP could be doing if it wasn't for the constant gaffes and the drag on their support that is Nigel Farage eh?

True, true. Also think of how bad UKIP would be doing without Farage, given that they're a one-man band and all.
  • Options
    Bobajob_Bobajob_ Posts: 195
    AV = Labour is the will of the people!!
  • Options

DavidL said:

Thanks. Someone was promising 4 polls today this morning and I was almost overcome with excitement.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Joint all time high, they've been on 19% with Ashcroft before.
  • Options

isam said:

Think how well UKIUP could be doing if it wasn't for the constant gaffes and the drag on their support that is Nigel Farage eh?

or indeed if there wasn't so many blinkin immigrants in the UK diluting all the kippers
    There is that as well #London

I see UKIP voters are most likely to stick with their party/least likely to change vote

More bad news I suppose #peakkipper?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited December 2014
    This poll must be very frustrating for the blue team.

A huge media puff for the Autumn statement, a concerted attack on Farage for Claridges-gate.

All that happens is UKIP get closer.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Thanks. Someone was promising 4 polls today this morning and I was almost overcome with excitement.
    That someone was me, I'll exile myself to conhome for a week.

Though I have the lurgy, which might be worse.

I blame the immigrant hotel staff.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

I'm glad I said No2AV

A Labour party polling 31% and then getting 53% would be an obscenity.

They wouldn't get to 53% though, would they? It would be done on a constituency basis, so there'd be a whole lot of other places where their first round position got gazumped by someone else. And also, a chunk of the 20% would have first choices for a party that got through to the final two, so that would never get reassigned.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927

A final-round vote share of 53% to 47% would surely generate a substantial Labour majority, or is there something I'm missing?
  • Options
    Artist said:

Surprised at the number of Conservative voters putting Labour as second choice.

Vote Tory, get Ed?
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    taffys said:

A huge media puff for the Autumn statement, a concerted attack on Farage for Claridges-gate.

The Beeb did its job for the first time since 2010 and shot the AS out of the sky.

Coverage has been negative since Thursday morning.
  • Options
    It's also interesting that 48% of the public prefer UKIP to at least two other parties. So much for them being unspeakably toxic.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    So much for people often lazily lumping together UKIP and Tory support and coming to the conclusion that "people want a right-wing government".
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited December 2014
    The second most important thing apart from UKIP scoring their high score with Ashcroft is that now UKIP voters are the ones who say most they will most definitely vote for their party in May. The third is that despite UKIP's rise, Labour would still win with AV.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

A final-round vote share of 53% to 47% would surely generate a substantial Labour majority, or is there something I'm missing?

A lot of the 20% of second choice Labour votes would never count, because they would be in constituencies where their first choice got through to the final two.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    The AV first preference is the real poll - Lab lead by three!
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

So much for people often lazily lumping together UKIP and Tory support and coming to the conclusion that "people want a right-wing government".

Under PR, a score of Con 30% to UKIP 19% would almost certainly result in a right wing government. It all depends on the voting system one uses.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889
    FPT

Once again, we see the huge difference in the duopoly numbers - 61 here, 69 on Populus but a very good poll for UKIP, a poor poll for Labour and dreadful for both the Coalition parties with no sign of an AS bounce of any sort.

Perhaps it is still about the pre-election skirmishes, perhaps people have already decided and nothing will change. It's a 4% swing from Conservative to Labour nationally but I suspect those numbers would see Labour very close to an overall majority.

Fascinating to see the AV numbers - I have to be honest, making a second or even third choice wouldn't be easy for me as I find all the other parties fairly repellent. I note the LDs are still top second and third preference which is interesting.

Among the others, 45% of UKIP voters choosing Conservative as their second choice and 39% of Conservative voters choosing UKIP as their second option tells us a lot.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

Under PR, a score of Con 30% to UKIP 19% would almost certainly result in a right wing government. It all depends on the voting system one uses.

But the substantial chunk of "Red Kippers" (24% of UKIP's vote would break for Labour on a second choice, if I'm understanding the poll correctly) don't see themselves as voting for a right-wing government.
  • Options
    Theresa May still continues to impress those that matter

In the wake of a day of leadership contest rumours, Theresa May extends her lead in our future party leader poll

http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2014/12/in-the-wake-of-a-day-of-leadership-contest-rumours-theresa-may-extends-her-lead-in-our-party-members-poll.html
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    As usual the twitterati and the metropolitan liberals miss the point. Farage isn't after their vote. It doesnt matter how much these people throw up their hands in horror at what he says, they were not going to vote for him anyway.

Even on these forums, the people who continuous slag UKIP off are all activists and committed voters for another party, of course they dont like UKIP, and of course they were never going to vote UKIP under any circumstance, so theirs is hardly a lost vote.

Meanwhile Farage is building a coalition of the disaffected tories and white van men who on the whole dont give two hoots about political correctness, and value being able to say what they think. They may or may not agree with Farage, but they like someone who appears to speak plainly, and tells people what he really thinks. The big difference here is these voters have been abandoned by the Conservatives and Labour, and their vote is available.

I'm a Tory, from the Hannanite wing of the party, so I have a lot of sympathy with UKIP, if we want those voters Farage is taking we need to a) stop insulting them b) stop being so lily livered and metropolitan and stop worrying about pissing off Guardian readers, they are not going to vote for us anyway c) get a grip and open up some blue water on free speech and lack of political correctness d) grow a bit of a spine with the EU we can worry about the referendum later, atleast sounding like it wasnt leading us around by the nose would be a good start, and did I mention e) stop insulting people we want to vote for us!
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

But the substantial chunk of "Red Kippers" (24% of UKIP's vote would break for Labour on a second choice, if I'm understanding the poll correctly) don't see themselves as voting for a right-wing government.
    If you consider UKIP right-wing, then they would prefer UKIP in government to Labour, then surely their first preference matters more than their second preference, in terms of what they actually want.
  • Options
    taffys said:

True, the autumn statement misfired and they are shooting blanks at UKIP.
    Which means the Tory party is short of opportunities and ideas before the campaign starts in March.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

Danny565 said:

I think UKIP would have to offer supply and confidence to the Conservatives, rather than a coalition, to keep the Red Kippers on board.

UKIP might enter into negotiations with Labour on the same basis, but I don't think Labour could offer anything to UKIP that they'd be interested in.

• Options
    Coverage has been negative since Thursday morning.

Yes but labour hasn't really benefited, according to this poll.

UKIP has.

All the Trumpton, stuff, all the traffic jam stuff, all the claridges stuff....FFS stop it. Nobody's laughing.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

taffys said:

True, the autumn statement misfired and they are shooting blanks at UKIP.
    Which means the Tory party is short of opportunities and ideas before the campaign starts in March.
    It's because these stupid manufactured outrages don't work. A product of only hiring advertising, PR people and spads is that the main parties are all obsessed with winning the media cycle. Whether voters agree or disagree with Farage over the issue at hand, they see him being balanced and the rest reacting with a media circus over something important, and prefer UKIP to the competition as a result.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    Who put Tory as their first, second, and third choices? That's my form of AV!!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Farage and the M4.

It should be noted that he drove on a Friday evening. Which, as we all know, is a time no-one else ever wants to travel.

Back in 2000, I drove from Cambridge to Bath to do a weekend walk. Looking at my notes, I expected the journey to take about three and a half hours; it was nearer six. The return journey a few days later was much quicker. Instead of blaming immigrants, I blamed it on being stupid enough to travel on a Friday evening rush hour.
  • Options
    Mr. Socrates, worth pointing out something similar happened on QT when awful Eagles tried to peddle manufactured outrage over a secretly recorded and taken out of context comment by a peer (I think) regarding salaries for severely handicapped people.

It was heartening to see the audience refusing to buy her bullshit.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    edited December 2014
    BenM said:

The AV first preference is the real poll - Lab lead by three!

People would probably vote differently in a AV election, presuming the wording of the question in the poll was clear.
  • Options
    All these jokes about UKIP and immigrants slightly overlook how many immigrants actually intend to vote UKIP, and how many minority candidates they have (clue, its more than at least two of the top three parties by percentage). My wife is an immigrant, Farage has her vote, most of her friends are as well, and Farage is doing well amongst them as well. People who have arrived and made a comfortable life here dont welcome more people arriving and possibly causing a change in policy that would be to their detriment.
  • Options
    It's because these stupid manufactured outrages don't work.

It's worse. The evidence of this week is they are actually counterproductive.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Joint all time high, they've been on 19% with Ashcroft before.
    They've been at 19% another 2 times, one just after Clacton and another just after the Euro's, which gives you the idea that UKIP can rise without any special circumstances such as by-election victories etc.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

All these jokes about UKIP and immigrants slightly overlook how many immigrants actually intend to vote UKIP, and how many minority candidates they have (clue, its more than at least two of the top three parties by percentage). My wife is an immigrant, Farage has her vote, most of her friends are as well, and Farage is doing well amongst them as well. People who have arrived and made a comfortable life here dont welcome more people arriving and possibly causing a change in policy that would be to their detriment.

Strangely, my experience with immigrants and their views on UKIP are radically different to yours. For one thing, they don't like being automatically blamed for everything that goes wrong (e.g. traffic jams).

Then again, throughout history some in society have tried to blame other segments for all society's ills. UKIP is just the latest in a long and far from illustrious trend.

But this is just anecdata.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

In the wake of a day of leadership contest rumours, Theresa May extends her lead in our future party leader poll

http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2014/12/in-the-wake-of-a-day-of-leadership-contest-rumours-theresa-may-extends-her-lead-in-our-party-members-poll.html

Meanwhile the Child Abuse inquiry turns into a car crash for what, the third, or fourth time now ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11274387/Child-sex-abuse-inquiry-Theresa-May-faces-make-or-break-meeting-with-victims-groups.html

and MPs in the Home Affairs Select Committee savage her proposed snooping powers, and give RIPA a good kicking as well

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11275993/Spying-powers-unacceptable-in-a-democracy-say-MPs.html

Its all going very well at the Home Office
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Also since OGH has mentioned the england only part of Lord A's polls to try to separate it from the SNP effect and being more seat orientated, the results this week for england only (where most seats are):
    LAB 31, CON 31, UKIP 23, LD 7, GRN 6

If anyone is interested in subsamples the midlands one (sample 107) is the most interesting: CON 32, LAB 28, UKIP 28
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

I'm glad I said No2AV

A Labour party polling 31%

...in first preference votes...

and then getting 53% would be an

...accurate reflection of the distribution of second and third preference votes.
  • Options
    Mr. Indigo, indeed. May's an unimpressive authoritarian.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Meanwhile the Child Abuse inquiry turns into a car crash for what, the third, or fourth time now ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11274387/Child-sex-abuse-inquiry-Theresa-May-faces-make-or-break-meeting-with-victims-groups.html

and MPs in the Home Affairs Select Committee savage her proposed snooping powers, and give RIPA a good kicking as well

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11275993/Spying-powers-unacceptable-in-a-democracy-say-MPs.html

You need to remember that most independent-minded conservatives have left for UKIP at this point. The Tories that remain are mostly mindless loyalist types. If the official line goes out that May is "quietly and competently getting on with the job", then that's what they believe, no matter how many major screw-ups occur.
  • Options

She may get the leadership but the scandals in the Home Office might sink her with the voters.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Indigo said:

You need to remember that most independent-minded conservatives have left for UKIP at this point. The Tories that remain are mostly mindless loyalist types. If the official line goes out that May is "quietly and competently getting on with the job", then that's what they believe, no matter how many major screw-ups occur.
    "You need to remember that most independent-minded conservatives have left for UKIP at this point."

Citation, please.
  • Options
    LAB 31, CON 31, UKIP 23, LD 7, GRN 6

Audreyanne may need a fresh blue rinse after that one...
  • Options
    The temptation to say to those survivor groups, "you know what, I don't think we will bother after all", must be almost impossible to resist.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    No matter how good a poll this is for UKIP, I cant help thinking that elections are decided by 650 individual constituencies, and national vote shares are irrelevant
  • Options
    That lovely Mr Miliband's been at one of my old watering holes. Haven't been there for many years though, and it looks as if it has smartened up a little:
    http://order-order.com/2014/12/08/miliband-insists-on-privacy-for-pre-xmas-turkey-eating-rehearsal/

It really is a lovely part of the world. Nearby Brassington's one of my favourite villages in the whole country.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Big news appears to be UKIP within 8% of the lead in England.
  • Options
    Request to Lord Ashcroft: do some constituency polling in Scotland.
  • Options
    The difference between Russia Today and real journalism

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9390782/the-truth-about-russia-today-is-that-it-is-putins-mouthpiece/

A number of those American and British twentysomething recruits have discovered that unpleasant reality in the course of their reporting. Abby Martin, the host of RT America, protested on air at the support that RT gave to Russia’s invasion of Crimea. Reporter Liz Wahl resigned shortly afterwards for the same reason. Staci Bivens, another RT reporter, said that she had been ordered by editors to write a story arguing the absurd case that Germany was a ‘failed state’. (She refused, which led to her leaving the network.) Overall, past and present employees of RT described a workplace in which reporters and commentators might write original stories only to find them rewritten by senior Russian editors — not to clarify or correct them, but to suit obvious Kremlin interests.
  • Options
    Hopefully the falling oil price will eventually bring down Putin.
    Socrates said:

The difference between Russia Today and real journalism

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9390782/the-truth-about-russia-today-is-that-it-is-putins-mouthpiece/

A number of those American and British twentysomething recruits have discovered that unpleasant reality in the course of their reporting. Abby Martin, the host of RT America, protested on air at the support that RT gave to Russia’s invasion of Crimea. Reporter Liz Wahl resigned shortly afterwards for the same reason. Staci Bivens, another RT reporter, said that she had been ordered by editors to write a story arguing the absurd case that Germany was a ‘failed state’. (She refused, which led to her leaving the network.) Overall, past and present employees of RT described a workplace in which reporters and commentators might write original stories only to find them rewritten by senior Russian editors — not to clarify or correct them, but to suit obvious Kremlin interests.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Request to Lord Ashcroft: do some constituency polling in Scotland.

When I met him a couple of weeks back Lord A did assure me that these were on the way. I just don't know when.

• Options
    edited December 2014

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/1/590x/POLITICS-Ukip-214858-474603.jpg

Indeed.... look at that group of candidates, disgracefully unrepresentative and intolerably white.... or maybe not.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Indigo said:

Strangely, my experience with immigrants and their views on UKIP are radically different to yours. For one thing, they don't like being automatically blamed for everything that goes wrong (e.g. traffic jams).

Then again, throughout history some in society have tried to blame other segments for all society's ills. UKIP is just the latest in a long and far from illustrious trend.

Its a pity there is not a 'Like' button.

''and made a comfortable life here dont welcome more people arriving and possibly causing a change in policy that would be to their detriment.''
    Its Farage who wants the change in policy. Mr Indigo should tell his wife to remember to take here drawbridge around with her when she travels abroad.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    AndyJS said:

Vote ukip, get Miliband, definitely.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited December 2014
    It seems that UKIP being bashed in the media, bashed by all the comics, boobgate, traffic gate, insert-gate, bashed generally doesn't seem to do them any harm at all.

It the all publicity is good publicity when it comes to Farage / UKIP. I bet Dave, Ed and Nick could capture some of that.
  • Options

''and made a comfortable life here dont welcome more people arriving and possibly causing a change in policy that would be to their detriment.''
    Its Farage who wants the change in policy. Mr Indigo should tell his wife to remember to take here drawbridge around with her when she travels abroad.

Aha, so its Tories that think people should tell their wives what to think, and there I was thinking it was kippers.
  • Options

Mr. Indigo, indeed. May's an unimpressive authoritarian.

Except the voters think she isn't authoritarian enough and want her to be even more authoritarian.

Although the Kipper standard response is to say the voters are poorly educated and ignore that polling.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Indigo said:

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/1/590x/POLITICS-Ukip-214858-474603.jpg

Indeed.... look at that group of candidates, disgracefully unrepresentative and intolerably white.... or maybe not.
    by Przemek Skwirczynski... maybe they're the wrong kind of immigrants... the white middle class kids at the SWP would probably call them "fakes" and "traitors"

"So, the UKIP contender for Chuka's seat in Streatham, Bruce Machan came to Britain from Zimbabwe about the same time I came over here from Poland, and I am standing for UKIP in Tooting, which is just to the West. Directly North of Chuka's constituency, in Vauxhall, UKIP is represented by Ace Nnorom who is originally from Cameroon.

And on the East side of things Chuka is flanked by UKIP's Parliamentary Candidate for Dulwich and West Norwood Rathy Alagaratnam who is Tamil and came to Britain from Sri Lanka. And of course to the South, we have Winston McKenzie who is challenging Croydon North for UKIP -- Winston was born in Jamaica and has been suggested by Lee Jasper recently to be the most influential Black politician in Britain."

http://www.thecommentator.com/article/5374/tooting_view_we_re_back_to_racism_smears_against_ukip
  • Options

It seems that UKIP being bashed in the media, bashed by all the comics, boobgate, traffic gate, insert-gate, bashed generally doesn't seem to do them any harm at all.

Because it plays to a liberal metropolitan audience that likes to be shocked and offended and feeds on faux outrage. The shire Tories and white van men Farage is courting are probably quite immune to that sort of approach. Where as they like what appears to be someone who is plain speaking and not cowed by political correctness. I am sure if the blue army continues to hurl abuse and chase off anyone that might come back to the party they might make it up to 23-24% by election time.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    For Mr Farage to blame immigration on being held up in traffic was ingenuous.

There are lots of reasons why the South East is over populated so that travel to London takes forever and a day. (Richest part of England, attracting workers from the UK as well as overseas, flight from central London to the suburbs due to exponential home price increases, forcing commuting)

(Population Density South East England 1170 per square mile. Only 4 micro-states of Europe - Malta, Vatican, Gibraltar, Monaco - have a higher density.)
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Humble prediction - the child abuse enquiry will keep getting derailed for a number of reasons until long after the election. No-one suggested by the establishment will be allowed to take charge of it.
  • Options

Perhaps that's because the sort of people who support or are thinking about supporting UKIP are people who regard those stories as silly tittle-tattle detached from the issues they most care about. Each time one of then hits the front pages, UKIP support rises or remains the same, while the 75% who dislike the party continue to dislike them as before.
  • Options
    I think Alex has been reading the polling: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/alex/

It's an ill wind and all that....
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    perdix said:

AndyJS said:

We don't know - UKIP looks as if it will have a tremendous effect on the swing seats in the Midlands. If they are WWC predominantly then Labour won't win them. (UKIP probably won't though). That is why we need individual constituency polls.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Perhaps that's because the sort of people who support or are thinking about supporting UKIP are people who regard those stories as silly tittle-tattle detached from the issues they most care about. Each time one of then hits the front pages, UKIP support rises or remains the same, while the 75% who dislike the party continue to dislike them as before.
    I said here the other day, when everyone was patting each other on the back for criticising Farage about what he didnt say about breast feeding, that it wouldn't surprise me if the LBC interviews were engineered to give him the chance to sound reasonable about a topical issue, but in a way that would attract hyperbole from UKIP haters...

They then fall over themselves to be as critical as possible, ignoring all facts in the hope that it will deflate the UKIP bubble, when in reality it just pumps it up even more.. people see through the faux outrage

Conservatives sounding like Guardianistas is the recipe for UKIP growth
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited December 2014
    AndyJS said:

I think that is spot on. But it wont stop any BBC comdey show now spending 50% of the time doing UKIP "gags". It is really boring now, I kinda of miss the old days of Tory bashing.

It is the same as basically every interview with Farage, the media want to focus on immigration, racism etc. Bored....You either think he / his party are a certain way on that issue or not.

Ask him what is he going to do about the trains, the planes, the roads, the leccy, etc.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2014
    Indigo said:

Run that one past me again: a committee of MPs criticising a piece of Labour legislation is bad for Theresa May?

Incidentally have I missed the apologies from those who criticised her, following the recent ruling by the independent tribunal?
  • Options

Indigo said:

Run that one past me again: a committee of MPs criticising a piece of Labour legislation is bad for Theresa May?

Incidentally have I missed the apology for those who criticised her, following the recent ruling by the independent tribunal?
    How long has May been in the Home Office ? Didn't notice her scurrying to repeal this disgracefully over broad and illiberal piece of legislation, or even put measures before parliament to reign it in.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Broken, sleazy Lab/Lib/Con on the slide.

It's the M1 traffic thats made the difference. LOL ;)
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    Has any financial statement from a chancellor unraveled with the speed of George Osborne's autumn statement? All I'm hearing is how his CUTS are going to send us back to the Stone Age. Not helped by his latest accusers being his coalition partners

Even allowing for the Bolshevic Broadcasting Corporation's bias he's clearly done something wrong. The criticism started as a murmur but has snowballed into an avalanche.

Perhaps Ed really is a lucky leader.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Has any financial statement from a chancellor unraveled with the speed of George Osborne's autumn statement? All I'm hearing is how his CUTS are going to send us back to the Stone Age. Not helped by his latest accusers being his coalition partners

Even allowing for the Bolshevic Broadcasting Corporation's bias he's clearly done something wrong. The criticism started as a murmur but has snowballed into an avalanche.

Have you been reading the Mirror again?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360
    I do like Ashcroft's comment:

"With most polls as tight as they are, the odds point towards no party having an overall majority, and many foresee the prospect of complex coalition negotiations involving three or even more parties. Since, during the 2011 referendum one of the principal arguments in favour of first-past-the-post was that it produced decisive results and stable governments, this is perhaps as close as we are going to get to evidence that an electoral system can have a sense of humour."

Note that his poll actually shows a 3-point Labour lead. The 1-point lead is after reallocation of don't knows/won't says in ICM fashion, reflecting the belief that hesitant people will go back to mother in the end. With this, the results are 32/29/20/7.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

perdix said:

AndyJS said:

We don't know - UKIP looks as if it will have a tremendous effect on the swing seats in the Midlands. If they are WWC predominantly then Labour won't win them. (UKIP probably won't though). That is why we need individual constituency polls.
    As you say, there are some places where UKIP could damage Lab more than the Cons. I was thinking about the ITV Wales poll showing UKIP doing pretty well in Wales. I can't see UKIP doing well in the Welsh-speaking areas, the Valleys or Cardiff so my guess is they are doing best in Clwyd and Powys. I was wondering whether it might be worth betting on an against the trend gain for Con in Vale of Clwyd. I can see UKIP doing well in Rhyl, giving Con a chance if their vote holds up in the more rural areas.
  • Options
    isam said:

Very much this. Additionally how much would Farage have to pay for this much publicity, he is on the front pages almost every day, he is being talked about by the BBC almost every day. Come the elections no one will remember the specifics except that none of it sounded that bad to them compared to the trials of everyday life. But they sure will remember all the noise around the party.

As a Tory it pisses me off, my own side seem determined to pump up UKIP and toss them endless softballs to hit into the stands. Faux outrage doesnt impress the public, we saw that when they savages Ms Eagle on QT a few weeks ago, all it does it make the Tories look like as bigger bunch of Guardian readers as the LDs and LABs.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,519
    Indigo said:

As usual the twitterati and the metropolitan liberals miss the point. Farage isn't after their vote. It doesnt matter how much these people throw up their hands in horror at what he says, they were not going to vote for him anyway.

Even on these forums, the people who continuous slag UKIP off are all activists and committed voters for another party, of course they dont like UKIP, and of course they were never going to vote UKIP under any circumstance, so theirs is hardly a lost vote.

Meanwhile Farage is building a coalition of the disaffected tories and white van men who on the whole dont give two hoots about political correctness, and value being able to say what they think. They may or may not agree with Farage, but they like someone who appears to speak plainly, and tells people what he really thinks. The big difference here is these voters have been abandoned by the Conservatives and Labour, and their vote is available.

I'm a Tory, from the Hannanite wing of the party, so I have a lot of sympathy with UKIP, if we want those voters Farage is taking we need to a) stop insulting them b) stop being so lily livered and metropolitan and stop worrying about pissing off Guardian readers, they are not going to vote for us anyway c) get a grip and open up some blue water on free speech and lack of political correctness d) grow a bit of a spine with the EU we can worry about the referendum later, atleast sounding like it wasnt leading us around by the nose would be a good start, and did I mention e) stop insulting people we want to vote for us!

'grow a bit of a spine' ? 'at least sounding like' ? Surely that's the mistake Cameron has been making all along -thinking that whenever the natives get restless he can make a speech and hurrumph around a bit in Europe and people will buy it, as he then goes back to doing the economy in and expediting the complete hand over of our national sovereignty to Brussels. What we need is a change of heart, not a change of language. That's why people are choosing UKIP.

• Options
    Indigo said:

I'm a conservative and I want a conservative government. So I'm going to vote conservative. I see nothing wrong in that. A conservative govt will deliver a referendum on the EU.
    There are no Guardian readers any more and it is a fraud to say that the tory party which is busy sacking hundreds of thousands of public sector workers is pandering the a lefywefty constituency. Your words are meaningless hyperbole when faced with the facts of what the govt are doing.

Farage? He cares about nothing anymore - if he ever did in the first place. He is a mountebank peddling anything that gets a laugh and a dissonant vote. He deserves criticism and I for one think we should be suspicious of anyone who says he is beyond it.
    Someone who votes for UKIP is not a 'kipper' anymore that someone who votes labour is a socialist.

What I will say is that where people stoop to defend Farage for blaming road congestion on immigration they deserve all the abuse heaped on them. Especially when he could always blame it on the women and their children again.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2253232/Rise-number-families-cars-Working-women-stay-home-offspring-rise-vehicles-drive.html

But heaven forbid St Nigel should be subject to satire
    http://newsthump.com/2014/12/08/m4-congestion-linked-to-racist-cnt-in-middle-lane/

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2014
    Indigo said:

How long has May been in the Home Office ? Didn't notice her scurrying to repeal this disgracefully over broad and illiberal piece of legislation, or even put measures before parliament to reign it in.

She has, actually. Most particularly she has strengthened the oversight by parliament:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2013/18/contents/enacted

See also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protection_of_Freedoms_Act_2012

MPs' Committees are much improved by the changes introduced in this partliament, and are doing a much better job and are more independent than used to be the case. Curiously, none of the government's critics ever seem to mention this. In this particular case the oversight seems to be working well: the Committee have reviewed the operation of the 2000 Act and have made recommendations. Good. That's how it's supposed to work.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Phew - we're ok.... was starting to worry the blue bounce hadn't arrived yet..........
  • Options

Indigo said:

She has, actually. Most particularly she has strengthened the oversight by parliament:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2013/18/contents/enacted

See also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protection_of_Freedoms_Act_2012

MPs' Committees are much improved by the changes introduced in this partliament, and are doing a much better job and are more independent than used to be the case. Curiously, none of the government's critics ever seem to mention this. In this particular case the oversight seems to be working well: the Committee have reviewed the operation of the 2000 Act and have made recommendations. Good. That's how it's supposed to work.
    As ever congratulations are due for your correcting of ignorant misinformation. Time and time again we see the defence of the indefencible based on inaccuracies ignorance fraud and lies.
    All wrapped up in the inevitable hysteria. The extremists on the right wing should remember that it was Churchill who said that a lie gets up and travels twice round the world before the truth has time to get its trousers on.
  • Options

'grow a bit of a spine' ? 'at least sounding like' ? Surely that's the mistake Cameron has been making all along -thinking that whenever the natives get restless he can make a speech and hurrumph around a bit in Europe and people will buy it, as he then goes back to doing the economy in and expediting the complete hand over of our national sovereignty to Brussels. What we need is a change of heart, not a change of language. That's why people are choosing UKIP.

You might be right, but I am wasting my breath anyway, Flightpath and his ilk is determined to carry on ensuring that CON/UKIP waverers dont come back to the Tories.. I think you should look forward to 23-25% of the vote come the election.

• Options
    isam said:

AndyJS said:

I said here the other day, when everyone was patting each other on the back for criticising Farage about what he didnt say about breast feeding, that it wouldn't surprise me if the LBC interviews were engineered to give him the chance to sound reasonable about a topical issue, but in a way that would attract hyperbole from UKIP haters...

They then fall over themselves to be as critical as possible, ignoring all facts in the hope that it will deflate the UKIP bubble, when in reality it just pumps it up even more.. people see through the faux outrage

The Spectator bod thinks the same

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/12/nick-clegg-and-nigel-farage-are-pursuing-the-same-electoral-strategy/
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,519
    Indigo said:

You might be right, but I am wasting my breath anyway, Flightpath and his ilk is determined to carry on ensuring that CON/UKIP waverers dont come back to the Tories.. I think you should look forward to 23-25% of the vote come the election.

To be fair, I'm not sure Flightpath is representative.
  • Options
    "People are choosing UKIP....."

Before the last election the Lib Dems were getting between 24-28% in the polls. No body 'wanted' them they were just the only known protest vote available at the time.

Now Clegg and co have soiled themselves the disaffected have moved on. Even white van man with his house draped in flags and double digit IQ can spot a charlatan. It's just that UKIP are the only protest vote in town so they've nowhere else to go.
  • Options
    UKIP have suspended its General Secretary for impropriety.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889
    Afternoon all :)

Even though I'm a million miles away from being a UKIP voter, I would like to think I've never insulted either the party or its supporters on here. That said, it's perfectly in order for UKIP policies to be scrutinised and criticised.

As for general criticism, UKIP supporters may feel they are getting the thin end of the wedge but compared to the vitriol heaped on Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband, Nigel Farage isn't doing too badly. There are a lot of Conservatives on this forum (certainly more than 30%) so there's plenty to hurl about and they now see UKIP as an existential threat to their Party.

Nick P's comment on the poll is illuminating and perhaps shows Labour's position to be stronger than the headline numbers. The England only numbers were a tie last week so the duopoly are down one each.
  • Options
    "UKIP have suspended its General Secretary for impropriety."

Surely promotion would be more appropriate
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Anyone heard what UKIP's General Secretary Roger Bird has done to be suspended?

Impropriety covers a multitude...
  • Options

Perhaps he said nice things about immigrants ?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Perhaps he said nice things about immigrants ?
    Was he being ostentatious?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    isam said:

No matter how good a poll this is for UKIP, I cant help thinking that elections are decided by 650 individual constituencies, and national vote shares are irrelevant

It's a question of how much difference a local campaign makes to the national swing, and whether or not parties have the activist base to run a local campaign.
This discussion has been closed.