Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

When something is both little and large – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,072
    My loins always get girded when I hear La Marseillaise, best national anthem ever.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,532

Why is iPlayer footy coverage on computer only 720p?

It's also miles behind – the fatal flaw of streaming sport. Watch on a proper telly!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,222
    edited June 25

Well the Tories have lost the Whovian vote.

Kemi Badenoch brands David Tennant ‘rich, lefty, white male celebrity’ in trans row

Equalities minister says she will not be ‘silenced by a man’ after Doctor Who actor told her to ‘shut up’ and ‘not exist any more’

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/06/25/kemi-badenoch-brands-david-tennant-rich-lefty-white-male/

Well looking at the viewing figures for the latest season, they are becoming a lot rarer. "not exist any more", not very tolerant and open to differing opinions from Tennant.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,505
    Leon said:

It’s completely unfair that France gets all this natural beauty (and better weather, and slimmer women) while we have Newent, Wick and @kinabalu’s golf club

I’m therefore trying to cheer myself out of my jealousy by working out what is the most boring, least interesting department of France. The obvious choice would be somewhere in Picardy but I think I’ve found a prime candidate

Creuse. It seems to be the ultimate nowhere land smack bang in the middle of the country. It has a tiny population with only lozere smaller (in departments) but Lozere is quite spectacular -moors, mountains, megaliths and ravines

Creuse has… farms. And a town that used to make tapestries. That seems to be it

Is it that bad? Has anyone been? How boring is creuse?

Try the flatlands around Orlean.

Bleak, empty, farmland stretching to horizon. And very very very flat.

Some might like it though. Bit noomy in the right light.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,885
    I'm supporting Poland.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

It’s completely unfair that France gets all this natural beauty (and better weather, and slimmer women) while we have Newent, Wick and @kinabalu’s golf club

I’m therefore trying to cheer myself out of my jealousy by working out what is the most boring, least interesting department of France. The obvious choice would be somewhere in Picardy but I think I’ve found a prime candidate

Creuse. It seems to be the ultimate nowhere land smack bang in the middle of the country. It has a tiny population with only lozere smaller (in departments) but Lozere is quite spectacular -moors, mountains, megaliths and ravines

If we're comparing like with like then you'll need to see what if offers vis a vis Bedfordshire.
    Hah. I did for a moment wonder about the “most boring county in Britain” and yes Bedfordshire floated into my head
    Oi.

Nothing boring about Bedfordshire. Quite small but have some splendid countryside that is the equal of anything in the Cotswolds and market towns and far enough out of London to be beyond the worst of the stockbroker belt. They get as far as Luton (our London Inner City type borough) and turn back.

And no ULEZ, Congestion Charge or 20mph limits (except short bits by schools)
    "Bedfordshire isn't boring because [checks notes] you can drive at 30mph"
    I was going to plump for Herefordshire, but you've just converted me to the Bedfordshire camp.
    For some of the weirdos on here who are absolutely obsessed with 20mph speed limits, driving at 30mph through a town makes them feel all manly.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Well now.

Serbia is being insulted on Russian state TV after information appeared that Serbia sold shells to Western countries.

State TV presenter Sergei Mardan called Serbia a “whore” and said that the Serbs are no longer brothers to the Russians, but enemies

https://x.com/den_kazansky/status/1805324291577196742

To quote some Ukrainians, Sergei Mardan, go fuck yourself.
  • Options
    edited June 25

Why is iPlayer footy coverage on computer only 720p?

It's also miles behind – the fatal flaw of streaming sport. Watch on a proper telly!
    I am busy working. I just wondered why iplayer on computer has this much lower resolution. It can't be rights issue. Why would they do that?
  • Options

I am really hating this 3rd placed in group can still qualify for knockouts nonsense in Euros. No jeopardy. We want to be thinking, shit if England screw this up tonight, they could be out. Not well if they screw it up, they will probably play Germany.

Why? The reason there is no jeopardy for us is that we have already accrued enough points to qualify. Croatia finished third. Ask them about 'no jeopardy'.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,725

Kemi Badenoch brands David Tennant ‘rich, lefty, white male celebrity’ in trans row

Equalities minister says she will not be ‘silenced by a man’ after Doctor Who actor told her to ‘shut up’ and ‘not exist any more’

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/06/25/kemi-badenoch-brands-david-tennant-rich-lefty-white-male/

That's rather rude, if he did say that.

OTOH, it's pretty well what the Tories are telling trans individuals, so turn about, I guess.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,214
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

If we're comparing like with like then you'll need to see what if offers vis a vis Bedfordshire.
    Hah. I did for a moment wonder about the “most boring county in Britain” and yes Bedfordshire floated into my head
    Oi.

Nothing boring about Bedfordshire. Quite small but have some splendid countryside that is the equal of anything in the Cotswolds and market towns and far enough out of London to be beyond the worst of the stockbroker belt. They get as far as Luton (our London Inner City type borough) and turn back.

I was going to plump for Herefordshire, but you've just converted me to the Bedfordshire camp.
    Herefordshire is a stunningly beautiful county. Lots of uphill and down dale rather than flat sandpit Bedfordshire. OK, the people are like the duelling banjo players from Deliverance if very much more scary.
  • Options
    edited June 25

I am really hating this 3rd placed in group can still qualify for knockouts nonsense in Euros. No jeopardy. We want to be thinking, shit if England screw this up tonight, they could be out. Not well if they screw it up, they will probably play Germany.

Why? The reason there is no jeopardy for us is that we have already accrued enough points to qualify. Croatia finished third. Ask them about 'no jeopardy'.
    No I really love it when nearly all the games the result matters. With this 3rd place from most groups goes through means lots of games without that edge. Love my sport, but its got to matter for me to get excited.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,741

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Oi.

For some of the weirdos on here who are absolutely obsessed with 20mph speed limits, driving at 30mph through a town makes them feel all manly.
    30mph through a town is pretty staid and slow. 20 is absurdly slow.

The speed limit should be 40-50 in most places.
  • Options

Well looking at the viewing figures for the latest season, they are becoming a lot rarer. "not exist any more", not very tolerant and open to differing opinions from Tennant.
    I think it is personal for the 10th and 14th Doctor, rumour has it that his stepkid is trans.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I'm supporting Poland.

Poland are already out, so I'm watching the other game on Beeb 2.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,585
    @NewStatesman

“Maybe – just maybe – this past week was the moment when Farage’s attempt to become the undisputed leader of the right in the UK faltered.”

https://x.com/NewStatesman/status/1805632260260925789
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,254

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Oi.

Herefordshire is a stunningly beautiful county. Lots of uphill and down dale rather than flat sandpit Bedfordshire. OK, the people are like the duelling banjo players from Deliverance if very much more scary.
    Herefordshire is boring in a good, pleasant, quintessentially English way. Bedfordshire is just boring.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,425
    edited June 25
    Leon said:

Fuck dont start me.

I owned a factory in La Creuse and commuted there for 4 years. Its a cultural vacuum. Parisians laugh at it as the arsehole of France - but thts a level of national pride I never understood - it's worse than that. It's the kind of place where the swingers sleep with their other sister. The town I stayed in had an Irish Pub called le Loch Ness I couldnt be arsed explaining but that was international division of the departement. For years it held the record of the only department without a Michelin star, its population has been on the slide for a century and has only pepped up in the last decade or so because nitwit english are buying houses there. Houses they will never be able to sell unless some numpty like Pater Mayle is sponsored to write ficion by the local estate agents

Surpisingly for what is quite an agricultural area it votes far left. All those years of interbreeding with their cousins and their livestock have produced some seriously screwed up people. When I was driving to Limoges airport to go home I passed signs for Oradour sur Glane and had to suppress my guilt that I understood where the 2SS Division Das Reich were coming from. There is next to no industry and what there is the locals try to wreck as they are all paid up members of the CGT the manic communist union. The type of people who key your car and knife your tyres if your negotiating wages. Meanwhile the local plods just stand back and watch.

And it's not just me, Macron famously had a bust up with people at the factory ( after my time )

https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/nouvelle-aquitaine/creuse/visite-presidentielle-en-creuse-les-salaries-de-lsi-ex-gm-s-mobilises-pour-recevoir-le-chef-de-l-etat-2431768.html

and then they went even madder and got a leftie documentarist to push them on - he won the Palme dOr at Cannes

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-reviews/blow-it-bits-va-tout-peter-review-1210444/#!

There is sod all in the place except the people who cant leave, some charolais cattle who are smarter than their owners and regular riots. By all means visit, it will give you an appreciation for the dynamism and jet setting which is rural Suffolk. But dont try bedding the locals its a french SSI and you'll disrupt the gene pool. Anyway if the women have 3 legs how do you know youve got the right crevice, you could be unlucky and enter the one with the penis.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,339
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Yes, Bedfordshire is boringest county (traditional boundaries) by some way. The competition is for number 2. Staffordshire or Cheshire perhaps. But even Bedfordshire has a lifetime of interest in it. Marston Moretaine; Elstow; Shillington; Luton Central Mosque interior; Luton bus station at night; Luton Airport departure lounge.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Oi.

Not through towns it shouldn't.
  • Options
    Dutch own goal after 6 mins.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,214
    edited June 25
    Labour candidate suspended for gambling breaches.

How did he know?
  • Options

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Oi.

Through arteries in towns it bloody well should be.

I drive at 40-50 most of the distance I travel through town, on the A-roads.

The local residential roads shouldn't be the arteries.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,964

"White" male? I thought Kemi was singularly opposed to that sort of identity/racialised politics. Shame on her.
  • Options
    edited June 25

Labour has suspended parliamentary candidate Kevin Craig after being told the Gambling Commission has launched an investigation into him, a party spokeswoman says.

LOL....I did say when they start looking at this, its going to go all over the place. It will be journalists next.

Edit: "Kevin is an expert in political communications, crisis management, and corporate communications." - Time to deploy the crisis management tactics.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,085

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Oi.

I recommend the book "Engel's England" by Matthew Engel - a county-by-county trip around England's 39 traditional counties*. I don't recall whether he picked winners, but Herefordshire was one of his favourites. ISTR he found Bedfordshire somewhat difficult to pin down.

Anyway, it's very good.

*other definitions are available
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I'm supporting Poland.

Yes, but you have to listen to Jonathan Pearce and Danny Murphy on comms.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,334
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Yes, Bedfordshire is boringest county (traditional boundaries) by some way. The competition is for number 2. Staffordshire or Cheshire perhaps. But even Bedfordshire has a lifetime of interest in it. Marston Moretaine; Elstow; Shillington; Luton Central Mosque interior; Luton bus station at night; Luton Airport departure lounge.
    I grew up in Leicestershire. The rough guide to Britain my parents bought just said that you pass through it on the M1 and the countryside is quite nice. Seems fair tbh.

I always wondered if it was a sly Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy “mostly harmless” joke.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,218
    Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

@PolitlcsUK

🚨 NEW: Thousands of campaign leaflets for Conservative Party chairman Richard Holden have been sent to the wrong constituency

[@BBCNews]

Improperly printed? Or someone has to take them to the right constituency in a car? Kinda makes a difference.
    Directly mailed to the wrong constituency

https://order-order.com/2024/06/25/holden-manages-to-send-campaign-leaflets-to-wrong-seat/
    We had three separate examples of the same thing happening with Refuk leaflets yesterday - TimS got one for Lewisham West rather than Lewisham North, I got one for Hornsey rather than Islington North, and Madmacs also reported getting one for the wrong constituency.

You'd expect the Tories to be a bit better-organised than Refuk (especially in the chairman's seat!), but it's obviously the sort of mix-up that happens fairly frequently.

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,612
    Andy_JS said:

Dutch own goal after 6 mins.

Now we know who Sunak would be manager of.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,725

Leon said:

Fuck dont start me.

I owned a factory in La Creuse and commuted there for 4 years. Its a cultural vacuum. Parisians laugh at it as the arsehole of France - but thts a level of national pride I never understood - it's worse than that. It's the kind of place where the swingers sleep with their other sister. The town I stayed in had an Irish Pub called le Loch Ness I couldnt be arsed explaining but that was international division of the departement. For years it held the record of the only department without a Michelin star, its population has been on the slide for a century and has only pepped up in the last decade or so because nitwit english are buying houses there. Houses they will never be able to sell unless some numpty like Pater Mayle is sponsored to write ficion by the local estate agents

Surpisingly for what is quite an agricultural area it votes far left. All those years of interbreeding with their cousins and their livestock have produced some seriously screwed up people. When I was driving to Limoges airport to go home I passed signs for Oradour sur Glane and had to suppress my guilt that I understood where the 2SS Division Das Reich were coming from. There is next to no industry and what there is the locals try to wreck as they are all paid up members of the CGT the manic communist union. The type of people who key your car and knife your tyres if your negotiating wages. Meanwhile the local plods just stand back and watch.

And it's not just me, Macron famously had a bust up with people at the factory ( after my time )

https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/nouvelle-aquitaine/creuse/visite-presidentielle-en-creuse-les-salaries-de-lsi-ex-gm-s-mobilises-pour-recevoir-le-chef-de-l-etat-2431768.html

and then they went even madder and got a leftie documentarist to push them on - he won the Palme dOr at Cannes

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-reviews/blow-it-bits-va-tout-peter-review-1210444/#!

There is sod all in the place except the people who cant leave, some charolais cattle who are smarter than their owners and regular riots. By all means visit, it will give you an appreciation for the dynamism and jet setting which is rural Suffolk. But dont try bedding the locals its a french SSI and you'll disrupt the gene pool. Anyway if the women have 3 legs how do you know youve got the right crevice, you could be unlucky and enter the one with the penis.
    And folk say David Tennant is rude...
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,499
    https://x.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1805633467608134092?s=19
    That's Fridays 'missing' You Gov, rather out of date now
  • Options

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Oi.

To be fair, 50mph would reduce the number of ambulances required because everyone hit by a car would just die. So there’s that in “favour”.
  • Options
    DopermeanDopermean Posts: 61

I think it is personal for the 10th and 14th Doctor, rumour has it that his stepkid is trans.
    Is that the jury in on whether Kemi is racist then?
  • Options
    Dopermean said:

Is that the jury in on whether Kemi is racist then?
    Just stupid and a pisspoor minister.
  • Options
    I wouldn't be surprised when all this betting stuff is finally finished there will have been loads of people investigated, but the vast majority it was £50 here or there.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,142

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Oi.

Dueling banjos? If you think the Forest of Dean is bad, try the Isle of Axholme.

Fortunately some of the population took themselves off on the Mayflower.
  • Options
    I'm outraged. Got on a train and al
    biggles said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Oi.

To be fair, 50mph would reduce the number of ambulances required because everyone hit by a car would just die. So there’s that in “favour”.
    Its 60/70 mph on the through roads in nearby MK right up to the city centre.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,201
    Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

@PolitlcsUK

🚨 NEW: Thousands of campaign leaflets for Conservative Party chairman Richard Holden have been sent to the wrong constituency

[@BBCNews]

Improperly printed? Or someone has to take them to the right constituency in a car? Kinda makes a difference.
    Directly mailed to the wrong constituency

https://order-order.com/2024/06/25/holden-manages-to-send-campaign-leaflets-to-wrong-seat/
    One of the many, many, many very, very, very invaluable things I do, is cut lists for candidates, including mailing lists.

And one of the most important of the many & very, is policing to ensure that direct mail goes to postal addresses of voters who are actually within whatever district we're mailing into.

One source of error, is when the master list has voters from variety of relevant jurisdictions. For example, having a list for voters in a particular city . . . then finding out that it also includes voters in the same county BUT a different city.

This is the kind of thing that could happen to anyone . . . even yours truly!

What is required is a) experienced list-mongers; and b) double-checks, and triple-checks, for quality control.

HOWEVER, clear over last few years that "quality control" is NOT a concern for early-21st century Tory Party.
  • Options
    edited June 25
    The Labour suspension may hand the seat to the defending Tories as its very marginal on MRPs in Central Suffolk and Ipswich North. Dan Poulters old seat
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Fuck dont start me.

And folk say David Tennant is rude...
    Mr b I still have the scars on my back.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    On topic, is “ Starmer winning a massive majority which could be easily overturned in 2029.” a little bigged up?

A lot of froth on top a silly stupid supermajority might by small majorities, but as you come to mere landslide or plain working majority, the % win is larger. So the maths doesn’t support “easily overturned”.

Neither does the politics look feasible. Which party is “easily overturning” Labours majority, as overturning means gaining government, mere losing majority a phrase not used here, would be to NOM.

Tory’s will be on the floor fighting for survival. They don’t just need to reclaim seats from Labour next time, which they failed to do in 2001, from a far stronger base, but from libdems, perhaps even Reform and Greens.

The memory of Tory government will live long in the voters memories too.

Neither the electoral maths or politics supports “easily overturned in 2029” as header immodestly claims.
  • Options

Leon said:

Fuck dont start me.

Think you were going for sardonic all I'm getting is horrible bastard.
    Of course, It's the only way to face off to the locals.
  • Options
    Farage had got very lucky with all the gambling stuff, takes the attention away from his comments. Now its all about both parties and the plod are being investigated.

That been said, I wonder, has Nige been betting? He strikes as the sort who would.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,837
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Like "Peppa Pig" from the amusefest that was Boris Johnson wasn't the fucking cringiest thing ever from a politician.

C'mon. Get a grip. Various people are just pissed off Starmer's winning.

I'm *bored* that Starmer is winning. Because he is being terribly boring and inoffensive. Where's the umph?
    This bit is 'win the election' and barring a mega shock it's going to be a resounding success. Then, 5/7 onwards, he's PM. Will he be boring, cautious, ineffectual? Or will he be a good, maybe very good, PM who'll relax a bit more in public over time?

I hope and expect the second, but who knows? What I do know is that people writing him off on the basis he hasn't been a thrill-a-minute as Opposition Leader or in this GE campaign are mainly engaging in prejudice-informed guesswork.
    No, we’re just mocking his cringe. In my comment immediately after my mockery (which seems to have upset so many of you so weirdly) I actually say This won’t matter as long as he learns from it. We don’t want or need him to be funny so he doesn’t have to try and he shouldn’t even try

After the last few years we will take dull but competent if he can manage it. We all know he has a tough task (I expect him to fail but I genuinely hope he succeeds)

What we don’t want is an inept politician who also makes us cringe. That will be damaging. Quit the gags Sir Kir
    No point trying to backtrack now. You're really put out that he isn't making you laugh so hard it hurts every time you see him. You think it's a big deal that he doesn't (can't?) do that. So much of a big deal that it's cost him your vote.
    No, you're missing the point. See also the Ryan Giggs clip. It's not just not funny, its the antithesis of funny. If funny is 1 and not funny is 0, what SKS and Ryan Giggs are are -1. Perhaps even i. It has all the cadences of humour, without the humour itself. It's awful and weirdly compelling.
    It's not just failing to tell a joke well, it's failing to recognise whether the story he's telling falls into the category of 'anecdote' or not.
    Many people aren't particularly funny. But this is more than just telling a joke which doesn't land. It's, well, weird. And certainly worthy of comment.

I think Leon has said though that he still intends to vote Labour. Doesn't mean he can't then comment on the Labour leader's oddities.
    I don't miss points, Cookie, you know that.

It's just a sweet and rather forced little story in front of a bunch of stony faced teenagers. THAT is what's funny - least to me - them in the background. The awkwardness. Lol. Poor kids.

But look, it was clearly meant to be gently amusing not bring the house down. And it fell a little flat. So the fuck what? People going on about how incredibly 'cringy' it is - they are the weirdos here. Eg it's absolutely nothing next to "Peppa Pig" and "Buses".

But the good news? Leon is not voting Labour. It's Reform for our gammon with a vocab.
    lol. You’re SO defensive. Is it because you’re a bit like kir royale yourself so it feels personal? Quite fascinating
    If only. I am actually - to my great chagrin and discredit - far more like Boris Johnson than Keir Starmer. I so wish could change that. Too late now though.
    No you’re not. Boris is a rampantly heterosexual ladies man and old Etonian and very funny and deeply deeply irresponsible. You are not irresponsible. Nor did you go to eton and so on

You are really quite like sir kir royale. A provincial upper working class lad made good in london. Hard working and sensible. Bit stiff. Intelligent and earnest. Similar age. Now in north london. Spooky!

You are so defensive about skyr because you are so alike. Perhaps you don’t realise this
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,387
    The opprobrium directed at Kemi, "no longer exist" etc, and other minorities who support the Tories is because Labour is tribal.

You can't really be Black without being politically "Black". If you're not you're worse than those they'd expect to be Tories; you're a traitor.

This sort of stuff really pisses Kemi off, quite aside from it being personal and nasty, which is why she's reacted in the way she has.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,927

How did he know?

Maybe he got it from here. Seriously, we're told that MPs read this site, so doesn't seem that odd that he does too.
  • Options
    edited June 25
    CatMan said:

How did he know?

Maybe he got it from here. Seriously, we're told that MPs read this site, so doesn't seem that odd that he does too.
    The problem is that the rumour was already sweeping parliament, as Fink went on podcast that day and said he was told it was July, but didn't believe it as such a mad thing to do.
  • Options
    I’m in yet another etc etc little french town. Sauzon. Its like someone decided to build an adorable little French town on a creek and nailed it all right down to the cute dinky lighthouses
  • Options
    edited June 25
    Scott_xP said:

@NewStatesman

“Maybe – just maybe – this past week was the moment when Farage’s attempt to become the undisputed leader of the right in the UK faltered.”

https://x.com/NewStatesman/status/1805632260260925789

Maybe Farage hasn't spotted the different tribes of (UK - USA is different) rightish thinking people. he should read the Speccie occasionally.

Dim ones are authoritarian and rather like the smack of firm government, like Germans who make the trains run on time and the marching prowess of North Korean soldiers, and listen to military marches and like the British Legion. For them Putin is not all bad and there is not a trace of coherence in their world view.

It is possible to be a thinking very rightish person too. They are much more liberal than liberals, and while they defend the indefensible they hate all forms of authoritarianism. They have heard of Roger Scruton and some have even read him. Farage is not their man. They don't have a leader, which is a very good thing, and the concept may well be without meaning.
  • Options
    GrandcanyonGrandcanyon Posts: 105
    biggles said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

I grew up in Leicestershire. The rough guide to Britain my parents bought just said that you pass through it on the M1 and the countryside is quite nice. Seems fair tbh.

I always wondered if it was a sly Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy “mostly harmless” joke.
    The most boring county in the uk is Hertfordshire and it also has the most boring people.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,957

On topic, is “ Starmer winning a massive majority which could be easily overturned in 2029.” a little bigged up?

A lot of froth on top a silly stupid supermajority might by small majorities, but as you come to mere landslide or plain working majority, the % win is larger. So the maths doesn’t support “easily overturned”.

Neither does the politics look feasible. Which party is “easily overturning” Labours majority, as overturning means gaining government, mere losing majority a phrase not used here, would be to NOM.

Tory’s will be on the floor fighting for survival. They don’t just need to reclaim seats from Labour next time, which they failed to do in 2001, from a far stronger base, but from libdems, perhaps even Reform and Greens.

Neither the electoral maths or politics supports “easily overturned in 2029” as header immodestly claims.

This is one of the issues with the Labour rapid collapse scenario, which I commented on a couple of days ago.

Labour and Starmer might well quickly see their approval ratings tank. They're not that high to begin with. But for them to fall significantly in voter intention someone else needs to benefit. The Tories are going to be on the floor and it's hard to see a rapid way back for them. Reform, Green and even the Lib Dems have ceilings. And Labour is not polling that high anyway - barely above 40%. So I think the polling might defy gravity for a while even if ratings sink.
  • Options
    edited June 25
    Good news for the Greens in Central Suffolk & North Ipswich: the Labour candidate there has been disowned by the Labour Party.

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-candidate-suspended-as-gambling-commission-launches-investigation-13158716

"Labour candidate suspended as Gambling Commission launches investigation

Kevin Craig was seeking to become the party's MP for Central Suffolk and North Ipswich, but Sky News understands he placed a bet on the outcome in the seat."
  • Options
    edited June 25
    So how does a Labour candidate have inside knowledge about the surprise election date the Tory PM is about to announce?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,472

Leon said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Like "Peppa Pig" from the amusefest that was Boris Johnson wasn't the fucking cringiest thing ever from a politician.

I'm *bored* that Starmer is winning. Because he is being terribly boring and inoffensive. Where's the umph?
    This bit is 'win the election' and barring a mega shock it's going to be a resounding success. Then, 5/7 onwards, he's PM. Will he be boring, cautious, ineffectual? Or will he be a good, maybe very good, PM who'll relax a bit more in public over time?

I hope and expect the second, but who knows? What I do know is that people writing him off on the basis he hasn't been a thrill-a-minute as Opposition Leader or in this GE campaign are mainly engaging in prejudice-informed guesswork.
    No, we’re just mocking his cringe. In my comment immediately after my mockery (which seems to have upset so many of you so weirdly) I actually say This won’t matter as long as he learns from it. We don’t want or need him to be funny so he doesn’t have to try and he shouldn’t even try

After the last few years we will take dull but competent if he can manage it. We all know he has a tough task (I expect him to fail but I genuinely hope he succeeds)

What we don’t want is an inept politician who also makes us cringe. That will be damaging. Quit the gags Sir Kir
    No point trying to backtrack now. You're really put out that he isn't making you laugh so hard it hurts every time you see him. You think it's a big deal that he doesn't (can't?) do that. So much of a big deal that it's cost him your vote.
    No, you're missing the point. See also the Ryan Giggs clip. It's not just not funny, its the antithesis of funny. If funny is 1 and not funny is 0, what SKS and Ryan Giggs are are -1. Perhaps even i. It has all the cadences of humour, without the humour itself. It's awful and weirdly compelling.
    It's not just failing to tell a joke well, it's failing to recognise whether the story he's telling falls into the category of 'anecdote' or not.
    Many people aren't particularly funny. But this is more than just telling a joke which doesn't land. It's, well, weird. And certainly worthy of comment.

I think Leon has said though that he still intends to vote Labour. Doesn't mean he can't then comment on the Labour leader's oddities.

Exactly right and very eloquent to boot. He doesn’t apparently understand humour at a basic level. This is like “how do you do fellow kids” but he means it

Add in the non-dreaming and third person stuff and we have a proper oddball coming into number 10. But then maybe that’s what Britain needs as we stare into the abyss

He doesn’t have a favourite poem or novel either. Hmmm. He’s the cliche of an alien trying to be human and failing. But again - that could be just the ticket

Tho TMay and Brown were a bit like this and they were disasters
    The man is institutionalised after years working for the CPS. Hes a dangerous man in the sense he will be a puritan on legislating on things like ethnic minority pay gaps.
    Sir Keir will basically be another Gordon Brown as PM, except if Brown had won a landslide majority for his policies
  • Options

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Oi.

Yes, Herefordshire is ravishingly beautiful. If only every British county was as lovely and unspoilt!

It’s also really really noomy in the south and west as it butts up against the Welsh hills. Plus the Wye valley, the orchard lands of the east, half the malverns and half the Forest of Dean. Tintern abbey. Kilpeck. Galway. The lugg. Craswall

A speccie travel piece on it here

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-welsh-marches-englands-foodie-frontier/
  • Options
    edited June 25

So how does a Labour candidate have inside knowledge about the surprise election date the Tory PM is about to announce?

We’re approaching the point where the question arises as to how no-one on PB knew in advance?

Apart, maybe, from moonrabbit.
  • Options
  • Options

Apparently the bet was on the result in his constituency, lmao
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,472
    viewcode said:

Scott_xP said:

@PolitlcsUK

[@BBCNews]

"...You gotta know when to Holden, and know when to fold'em
    ...know when to walk away, and when to run..."
    To be fair it probably wasn't Holden's fault.

Some in CCHQ need to check their postcodes and maps again, delivering in rural Harlow constituency I found a few leaflets for Kemi Badenoch who is a bit further north in NW Essex
  • Options
    edited June 25

The investigation into police announced today aren't on operational duty with the PM, so again they can't have direct insider info.
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 444
    edited June 25

He apparently bet on himself? Which is surely allowed?

If that’s the case I imagine Labour have acted quickly to not be accused of hypocrisy, even though I don’t really see what is wrong with it if he bet on himself.

Edit: if he bet against himself of course that is different
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,585
    @jimwaterson

The Labour guy has been suspended FOR BETTING ON HIMSELF TO LOSE. No this is too much.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,521
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Does no one recall Mrs T's attempts at humour ?
    Ha, yes, I was thinking that actually. That was almost the opposite. Thatch had relatively good jokes (whether they were her own or scripted for her is another matter) but she got the delivery absolutely horribly wrong, as if she'd never seen a joke delivered before. SKS has clearly seen a joke delivered before but appears not to recognise what distinguishes an anecdote from not-an-anecdote.

The other aspect to the clip was the bored kids. I mean, it was a boring story, but come on kids - it might have gone somewhere. And even its failure to do so is interesting. And that's the future Prime Minister there talking to you. There is some top grade determination to be bored going on there. Absolute terror of showing enthusiasm in case it arouses mockery from your peers. Well done lads.
    No one even claimed that thatcher was “funny in private” which is the normal get around. Cf starmer, brown, etc

However thatcher was interestingly bohemian - liked a drink, good red wine or scotch - at lunch! - and liked artistic company. And she was seriously intelligent on any number of subjects. People used to sneer at her intellect - I think she had had the last laugh

Probably the smartest PM of the modern era? Wilson was famously clever but thatcher had a much broader vision

Of recent PMs I think Blair is the brightest
    Although cast by her enemies as a philistine she was genuinely interested in ideas. Writers like VS Naipaul and Kingsley Amis attended events at No 10 and were impressed by her - and it wouldn't be easy to impress either Naipaul or Amis, that's for sure. And I can't imagine any of her successors doing so.
  • Options

I'm outraged. Got on a train and al

biggles said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Oi.

Its 60/70 mph on the through roads in nearby MK right up to the city centre.
    Totally different design to almost anywhere else.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

No, not having Cheshire as boring, either on traditional or modern boundaries. Cheshire has some National Park, for as start. Cheshire has Joddrell Bank, one of the seven wonders of the North West* Cheshire has the rows and walls of Chester, the Peckforton Hills, the Anderton Boat Lift, Stockport Bus Station, Port Sunlight, the Dee Estuary, Helsby Hill, Little Moreton Hall, Gawsworth Hall, Alderley Edge. Cheshire has the books of Alan Garner. Cheshire has the Macc Lads. Cheshire has a panhandle. Cheshire has Lyme Park. Cheshire is, what, the seventh highest county in the country (or thereabouts). Boring this place is not.

Cheshire is less instantly exciting than most of the other northern counties, but beats most of the Midlands and South East. Imagine one of those calendars you get in moderately upmarket garden centres. Cheshire's calendars will beat at least 50% of other counties into a cocked hat.

I would say most boring county probably Huntingdonshire. Highest point in Huntingdonshire? Boring Field. QED, my friends, QED.
    Other clearly more boring counties than Cheshire include Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Northamptonshire, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire, Rutland, Berkshire and Buckinghamshire.

• Options

Andy_JS said:

I'm supporting Poland.

Yes, but you have to listen to Jonathan Pearce and Danny Murphy on comms.
    Fair point.
  • Options
    edited June 25
    Scott_xP said:

@jimwaterson

The Labour guy has been suspended FOR BETTING ON HIMSELF TO LOSE. No this is too much.

Well this is why they stopped footballers betting.
  • Options
    edited June 25

Mate in Tory high command who tried to get clever and deniable? Yeah, no…

Edit - LOL he bet on himself losing. If it’s big amounts that’s much worse than the Tories.
  • Options

biggles said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

The most boring county in the uk is Hertfordshire and it also has the most boring people.
    A candidate if you took out St Alban's and Hatfield House. But yes, in the top few for boringness.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,201

Labour must have a few moles in Number 10
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,849
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Oi.

Yes, Herefordshire is ravishingly beautiful. If only every British county was as lovely and unspoilt!

It’s also really really noomy in the south and west as it butts up against the Welsh hills. Plus the Wye valley, the orchard lands of the east, half the malverns and half the Forest of Dean. Tintern abbey. Kilpeck. Galway. The lugg. Craswall

We were staying in Creuse (Dun-le-Palestel) the night Princess Diana was killed. In the bakery on Sunday morning the locals lined up to offer condolences, which I solemnly accepted on behalf of the nation. Doesn't make it interesting, but it does make it memorable.
  • Options
    edited June 25
    Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

No, not having Cheshire as boring, either on traditional or modern boundaries. Cheshire has some National Park, for as start. Cheshire has Joddrell Bank, one of the seven wonders of the North West* Cheshire has the rows and walls of Chester, the Peckforton Hills, the Anderton Boat Lift, Stockport Bus Station, Port Sunlight, the Dee Estuary, Helsby Hill, Little Moreton Hall, Gawsworth Hall, Alderley Edge. Cheshire has the books of Alan Garner. Cheshire has the Macc Lads. Cheshire has a panhandle. Cheshire has Lyme Park. Cheshire is, what, the seventh highest county in the country (or thereabouts). Boring this place is not.

Cheshire is less instantly exciting than most of the other northern counties, but beats most of the Midlands and South East. Imagine one of those calendars you get in moderately upmarket garden centres. Cheshire's calendars will beat at least 50% of other counties into a cocked hat.

I would say most boring county probably Huntingdonshire. Highest point in Huntingdonshire? Boring Field. QED, my friends, QED.
    Other clearly more boring counties than Cheshire include Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Northamptonshire, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire, Rutland, Berkshire and Buckinghamshire.

And you can actually get odds on the Tories holding Huntingdon, when within most PB’ers living memory it was the Tories safest seat.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Oi.

Yes, there is that. Ingenious stuff!!
  • Options
    edited June 25
    This GE campaign gets more and more farcical.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,286
    Scott_xP said:

@jimwaterson

They're closing in on Sunak...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,201
    Scott_xP said:

@jimwaterson

Nothing like having confidence in your abilities, lol! 😂
  • Options
    Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

I offer an unconditional surrender. But you are not having Lincolnshire (England's most interesting county) or Northamptonshire (most underestimated). Nottinghamshire you can have; I had forgotten it existed.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_xP said:

@jimwaterson

Nothing like having confidence in your abilities, lol! 😂
    See, often I bet on Liverpool/England to lose simply because I know I'll have some winnings to console myself with the defeat.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,720
    Scott_xP said:

@jimwaterson

Just when you thought the Tories were going to get a complete sweep on the podium for dumb fucks. here comes one from Labour.

"Hold my pint..."
  • Options
    Its not that daft if you think about. Depending on the odds, if you get a decent bet on yourself to lose, it could cover the cost of the time you spent not working and out campaigning. If you happen to win, well you are on the Westminster gravy train for 5 years.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,290
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Exactly right and very eloquent to boot. He doesn’t apparently understand humour at a basic level. This is like “how do you do fellow kids” but he means it

Add in the non-dreaming and third person stuff and we have a proper oddball coming into number 10. But then maybe that’s what Britain needs as we stare into the abyss

He doesn’t have a favourite poem or novel either. Hmmm. He’s the cliche of an alien trying to be human and failing. But again - that could be just the ticket

The man is institutionalised after years working for the CPS. Hes a dangerous man in the sense he will be a puritan on legislating on things like ethnic minority pay gaps.
    Sir Keir will basically be another Gordon Brown as PM, except if Brown had won a landslide majority for his policies
    You're obsessed with how everything that might happen is somehow just the same as something that happened before. It's really weird. Like you've only got five slots in your head and everything has to conform to one of those.
    1. The 1997 election
    2. Gordon Brown
    3. The Russell Group
    4. A cat
    5. The monarchy

Here, HYUFD, here's a picture of my dog
    "It's basically like a cat only larger and with a longer nose"

Hey, HYUFD, did you see Eurovision?
    "Yes, it was like the the 1997 election only with a jury system and more political parties. The winner was basically Gordon Brown if Gordon Brown had been a 24 year old woman from Azerbaijan who was dancing on a floor screen the size of 400 cats. Yass queen [consort, HRH Camilla]"
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Oi.

One of the happiest days of my life was a bike ride I did from Lyonshall to Hay on Wye and back again. Just absolutely perfect. Big blue skies, hot and silent. Every pub looked inviting. I crossed over into Wales and rode over the Begwns. My expectation is that less than 5% of this board will have heard of the Begwns, and yet it is one of the most spectacular locations in the country; views over the Wye Valley to the Black Mountains, east into the appealing loveliness of Herefordshire, North and West into the drama of Wales. I was there at midday: I understand it is spectacular at dawn and dusk. And yet almost noone has heard of it. That's the marches for you.
  • Options
    edited June 25

Scott_xP said:

@jimwaterson

Just when you thought the Tories were going to get a complete sweep on the podium for dumb fucks. here comes one from Labour.

"Hold my pint..."
    And we have some high IQ student taking a shit in Sunak pond this afternoon....but getting his brown cords very messy in the process.

No wonder we are a failing country.
  • Options

Its not that daft if you think about. Depending on the odds, if you get a decent bet on yourself to lose, it could cover the cost of the time you spent not working and out campaigning. If you happen to win, well you are on the Westminster gravy train for 5 years.

Although, it rather requires nobody knowing you have placed the bet...
  • Options
    Galloway claims its between him and Reform in Rochdale
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

You're obsessed with how everything that might happen is somehow just the same as something that happened before. It's really weird. Like you've only got five slots in your head and everything has to conform to one of those.
    1. The 1997 election
    2. Gordon Brown
    3. The Russell Group
    4. A cat
    5. The monarchy

Here, HYUFD, here's a picture of my dog
    "It's basically like a cat only larger and with a longer nose"

Hey, HYUFD, did you see Eurovision?
    "Yes, it was like the the 1997 election only with a jury system and more political parties. The winner was basically Gordon Brown if Gordon Brown had been a 24 year old woman from Azerbaijan who was dancing on a floor screen the size of 400 cats. Yass queen [consort, HRH Camilla]"
    I think that's harsh. But I genuinely lolled.
  • Options
    What we really need now is for the SNP candidate in Aberdeenshire North & Moray East to have placed bets on the Tories/Lib Dems to win the seat.
  • Options
    How long before the first LibDem leaflet:

"Labour: no longer winning here. Says their candidate...."
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@jimwaterson

Seriously, how the eff am I meant to keep on writing threads if we keep on getting plot twists like this?
    A few days ago folks were writing here that the election is dull. It's absolutely got the lot. Epoch making potential; comedy gold; no idea what sort of majority Labour will get; no idea what any new government can do to sort the country. Dull?
  • Options
    TimS said:

This is one of the issues with the Labour rapid collapse scenario, which I commented on a couple of days ago.

Labour and Starmer might well quickly see their approval ratings tank. They're not that high to begin with. But for them to fall significantly in voter intention someone else needs to benefit. The Tories are going to be on the floor and it's hard to see a rapid way back for them. Reform, Green and even the Lib Dems have ceilings. And Labour is not polling that high anyway - barely above 40%. So I think the polling might defy gravity for a while even if ratings sink.
    Actually I expect the opposite.

A new, honeymoon, government typically sees its ratings rise rather than fall as people who didn't back the winner retrospectively do.

And Reform are going to die and fade into insignificance as they get either no, or next to no, MPs.

The Tories are going to be riven and fighting each other and an irrelevance until they find a Cameron style reformer.

So Labour over 50% in the polls before the end of the year wouldn't surprise me at all.
  • Options
    I can see it now, Starmer is going to announce some law banning politicians from betting.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

We’re approaching the point where the question arises as to how no-one on PB knew in advance?

Apart, maybe, from moonrabbit.
    I knew, I know it gauche to point out my brilliance and modest fellow that I am but I did tip a July election back in March at 20s when MoonRabbit was spamming the site with why it would be a May election.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,286

I can see it now, Starmer is going to announce some law banning politicians from betting.

He could just ban uncertainty.

“Tough on betting, tough on the causes of betting.”
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Cookie said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

I offer an unconditional surrender. But you are not having Lincolnshire (England's most interesting county) or Northamptonshire (most underestimated). Nottinghamshire you can have; I had forgotten it existed.
    Go on then, offer a defence of Lincolnshire?
    I do actually quite like a reason to go to Lincolnshire - the flatness feels quite exotic. It is quite unlike most of the rest of England. I like Lincoln, and I like Boston Stump, and the Fens are strangely compelling. But England's most interesting?