Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Your chart du jour – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,999
    TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

The Isle of Wight is being split in two for this election. I was just thinking it would be funny if one of the seats went to the Greens and the other to RefUK.

That could lead to a Korea style partition.
    More Cyprus surely. Island and all that. Maybe with a tiny bit of British crown territory somewhere near the Needles.

A surprising number of divided islands now I come to think of it. Timor, Borneo, Papua, Ireland, Hispaniola. Probably more I've forgotten.
    Yes, bit of dramatic licence from me there.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,071
    Cookie said:

rkrkrk said:

Hope you're feeling better - heard you had some ill health.

Our local tory mp hasn't given up. Still paying to get leaflets delivered but suspect his time is up.

Thanks, yes - had a stroke 8 weeks ago. Pretty much back to normal now except for a need to sleep for an hour most afternoons, and occasional struggles with memory.
    That's pretty much where I'm at now! Keep on keeping on..
    Blimey, PBers have been through the wars on the health front.

Hope you all look after yourselves.
    Just to make it absolutely clear, I increasingly like (but don't usually get) a nap of an afternoon and have an occasional memory fart!
    The latter is a bit more concerning as my mother's side of the family have a strong incidence of dementia, but fit can ye dae.
    Nevertheless thanks for kind thoughts.
    Jeez, TUD, I had no idea you'd been so poorly. I'm also having to massively readjust my idea of how old you are - I'd guessed you were late 40s. Best wishes for a continued recovery. All sorts of advice out there about staving off dementia but I'd be lying if I said I knew which ones worked best! But staying mentally (and physically) active and good oral hygiene strikes me as good advice whether it works or not.

Interdental toothbrushes are great for oral hygiene. My dentist got me using them a couple of years ago. They're far more effective and easy to use than dental floss, and my gums have become noticeably healthier. Hopefully this is also helping to keep potentially dementia-inducing oral bacterial out of my bloodstream.
  • Options
    johntjohnt Posts: 139

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

I'm...just... so... glad... Rishi Sunak.. called an early...eleecczzzzzzzz.....

Is this the only GE in history where everyone in the Conservative Party has given up?

Whilst the campaign has been spectacularly inept, I just have this feeling that there must have been some issue buried deep down to make him cut and run in this way.
    I do think it might well be the King. If Sunak was told there was a considerable risk KCIII would die during an autumn election campaign, then we won't hear about it until after KCIII passes away, but it would probably make people think more kindly of Sunak. He went unprepared into an election campaign to ease the concerns of the Monarch.

Though the Tories should have been well-prepared for an election at any time.
    Doesn't pass the smell test for me. Even Tories are not venal enough to bet on the date of an election caused by the King's health concerns and it's impossible to be that exact.
    And Davey has shown repeatedly that getting wet in an election campaign is not of itself a problem, it's how you get wet.
    Ed is all right. He has fun!
    There's a large number of sub-posties who would love to have been having fun getting wet. Instead, they were being locked up for 23 hours a day because Ed Davey was considerably incurious.

The same could be said of every Minister responsible for the PO, from Peter Mandelson onwards, with the exception of Norman Lamb, who genuinely tried to help but was moved on before he could achieve much.

Davey was demonised in the wake of the TV series. This was unfair, but it's politics and I have no issue with that. On a sophisticated Site like this however, I would expect a more balanced view to prevail, especially in the light of the contributions on the subject by such experts on the matter as Ms Cyclefree.

Davey did at least have a meeting with Sir Alan Bates, even if nothing came of it,
    A very balanced response. Those Tories wondering why they have become so unpopular and lacking in friends should use this exchange as a point of learning.
    Many politically neutral people believe that the Lib Dem’s did the right thing for the country by stepping in to a huge problem and trying to help sort the country out in 2010. As a ‘reward’ they were shafted by the Tories in 2015.
    The attempts to smear Davey are falling on increasingly deaf ears because people understand that many Tories have similar (or in many cases more important) questions to answer about the post office scandal and the electorate have heard enough of lies from a party where senior officials think it’s fine to use insider information to make a few quid out of betting.
    There is some truth in the old advice to be careful who you abuse on the way up because one day you might need them on the way down. The Tories have lost everyone who would work with them and now seem to be losing the electorate as well. That is likely to mean a few very, very difficult years for them indeed.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,373

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

Is this the only GE in history where everyone in the Conservative Party has given up?

Whilst the campaign has been spectacularly inept, I just have this feeling that there must have been some issue buried deep down to make him cut and run in this way.
    I do think it might well be the King. If Sunak was told there was a considerable risk KCIII would die during an autumn election campaign, then we won't hear about it until after KCIII passes away, but it would probably make people think more kindly of Sunak. He went unprepared into an election campaign to ease the concerns of the Monarch.

Doesn't pass the smell test for me. Even Tories are not venal enough to bet on the date of an election caused by the King's health concerns and it's impossible to be that exact.
    And Davey has shown repeatedly that getting wet in an election campaign is not of itself a problem, it's how you get wet.
    There's a large number of sub-posties who would love to have been having fun getting wet. Instead, they were being locked up for 23 hours a day because Ed Davey was considerably incurious.

The same could be said of every Minister responsible for the PO, from Peter Mandelson onwards, with the exception of Norman Lamb, who genuinely tried to help but was moved on before he could achieve much.

Davey was demonised in the wake of the TV series. This was unfair, but it's politics and I have no issue with that. On a sophisticated Site like this however, I would expect a more balanced view to prevail, especially in the light of the contributions on the subject by such experts on the matter as Ms Cyclefree.

Davey did at least have a meeting with Sir Alan Bates, even if nothing came of it,
    Let's see how he fares before the Committee next month.

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

The LOTO at the PO inquiry? That should be interesting.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,010
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

@estwebber
    Exc: Will Tanner, Sunak’s deputy chief of staff, tells activists he is in danger of losing Bury St Edmunds

In a text, he says poll out today shows Cons on 32.5%, Labour on 32.7%, and Reform on 20.5%

He adds "please protect this, as sent to me privately"

https://x.com/estwebber/status/1805182708517077102

There are going to be an awful lot of seats (quite possibly 100+) where Labour win with a majority significantly smaller than Reform's votes.
    B StE is just about on the cusp according to Baxter. It's the 77th safest Tory seat, so if it is truly marginal, we are probably looking at fewer than 100 Conservative MPs in the new House.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,754

Cicero said:

The Grim Reaper Mandy had to make a apperarance at some point. He came out of the shadows.

The Dark Lord indeed.
    Have Mandelson and Sauron ever been seen in the same room?
    Sauron - yes
    Ungoliant - no
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,612

Alastair Meeks has set out his expectations for the election.

https://alastair-meeks.medium.com/not-a-prediction-bea8d1b7ae11

In summary Tories to do better a little than expected in average polls and get 75 seats! I don't think that will be far off.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,786
    edited June 24
    Cookie said:

rkrkrk said:

Our local tory mp hasn't given up. Still paying to get leaflets delivered but suspect his time is up.

Thanks, yes - had a stroke 8 weeks ago. Pretty much back to normal now except for a need to sleep for an hour most afternoons, and occasional struggles with memory.

Just to make it absolutely clear, I increasingly like (but don't usually get) a nap of an afternoon and have an occasional memory fart!
    The latter is a bit more concerning as my mother's side of the family have a strong incidence of dementia, but fit can ye dae.
    Jeez, TUD, I had no idea you'd been so poorly. I'm also having to massively readjust my idea of how old you are - I'd guessed you were late 40s. Best wishes for a continued recovery. All sorts of advice out there about staving off dementia but I'd be lying if I said I knew which ones worked best! But staying mentally (and physically) active and good oral hygiene strikes me as good advice whether it works or not.

Thanks, but there’s life in the scabby old dog yet!
    However I think for most folk who tool along in reasonably good health there comes a precipice when a few things can hit you at once. Dementia is the one thing I fear more than anything so I probably fixate a bit too much on that.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,725
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

The Isle of Wight is being split in two for this election. I was just thinking it would be funny if one of the seats went to the Greens and the other to RefUK.

More Cyprus surely. Island and all that. Maybe with a tiny bit of British crown territory somewhere near the Needles.

A surprising number of divided islands now I come to think of it. Timor, Borneo, Papua, Ireland, Hispaniola. Probably more I've forgotten.
    Actually surprisingly few. There's also Tierra del Fuego, and I think somewhere in the Baltic, but I think that's all.
    Cookie said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Actually surprisingly few. There's also Tierra del Fuego, and I think somewhere in the Baltic, but I think that's all.
    I take it back - there's actually 18:
    https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/islands-that-are-shared-by-more-than-one-country.html
    One of those is currently occupied.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syvash
  • Options
    MustaphaMondeoMustaphaMondeo Posts: 114
    edited June 24

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Is this true ?

https://www.iaindale.com/articles/is-starmergeddon-coming-for-the-tories
    ..If what I am hearing is right, CCHQ has more or less given up the ghost. I have heard of three candidates in Tory held seats with majorities of between four and six thousand, who have been ordered to shut down their campaigns and redeploy themselves to help cabinet ministers with majorities in excess of 20,000. And if they refuse, their computer logins to the party systems are cancelled and they’re told they won’t remain on the candidates list after the election...

I wonder how someone in (say) Steve Baker's position would feel about that ?

True or not, I'm not at a point in my life where I give a shit about Steve Baker's feelings
    You should do.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/steve-baker-northern-ireland-brexit-stress-b2290811.html

He's not going to experience a Charles Kennedy moment after losing his seat but I do worry for him.
    Obviously, one has to feel some human sympathy for people in these sorts of circumstances - the nature of elections is that some people win and some lose, but it obviously affects people in different ways.

However, I do wonder whether it will all be a bit of a relief for some of those MPs who lose. Westminster isn't necessarily great for people's mental health, and the mood among Tories who remain after 4th July is unlikely to be that great. A bit of time with family, taking a holiday and so on may not be the worst outcome.

Kennedy was a different case, of course. Being an MP was his whole life from a very young age, he'd been having issues over a period of time, his marriage had ended and so on. It remains extremely sad.
    In 2010, I expected to lose, and had ramped up my spare-time involvement in translation in anticipation, as well as putting out feelers for other jobs - I assume many Tory MPs have done something similar. To my astonishment I nearly won, which would have been fun (Broxtowe started as a very safe Tory seat when I won it in 1997), but also would have made it much harder to find another job in 2015 after another 5 years. I think it'd be unusual, though, not to have any job options at all after a stretch in Parliament.
    I wonder if anyone has compiled a database of what the outgoing cohort of MPs did for a living before Parliament?

I suspect that many were political animals of some sort (SpAd, party worker, Union organiser etc), and that lawyers are over-represented in Parliament compared to the general population, as are public-sector workers. We do all know one who was a bookmaker!
    43% of new Conservative MPs elected in 2019 were councillors, 25% were in business/commerce, 9% political/social/policy researchers and 8% lawyers.

52% of new Labour MPs elected in 2019 were councillors, 12% trade union officials, 9.5% political/social/policy researchers and 8% lawyers.

52% of new SNP MPs were councillors, 62% political/social/policy researchers, 16% in business/commerce and 6% party officials.

36% of new LD MPs were councillors, 18% in business/commerce, 18% political/social/policy researchers and 9% lawyers and 9% teachers or academics.

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-7483/CBP-7483.pdf
    Interesting but I don't quite get it. Councillors are not paid right? So were those who were previously councillors (43% Con, 52% Lab) also doing other jobs?

Also, the numbers in that table on page 26 of that paper don't add up.
    I get paid about £4 an hour. There’s a stipend or whatever that cover the costs of travel and very basic living. £5k per year. It’s doable if the Mrs works.

I don’t have a deal of usable blocks of time.
  • Options

In summary Tories to do better a little than expected in average polls and get 75 seats! I don't think that will be far off.
    Alastair is a star. He is much missed here.

His guess looks eminently plausible.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,398
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/islands-that-are-shared-by-more-than-one-country.html
    On a foggy Fenland day, with the lantern of the cathedral rising above the silvery mist, the Isle of Ely is shared between the kingdom of England and the kingdom of Heaven
    And it has that effect now.

God knows what effect it had on your standard issue medieval fenlander.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,306

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

@Savanta_UK
    🚨NEW London Westminster voting intention for
    @QMUL

📈33 point Labour lead

🌹Lab 55 (+2)
    🌳Con 22 (-1)
    🔶LD 13 (-3)
    ➡️Reform 8 (=)
    🌍Green 5 (+1)

1,022 Londoners, 10-18 June

(change vs 26-30 April)

https://x.com/Savanta_UK/status/1805182351233679861

That's a very different pattern from the rest of the country given it's movement since April. Reform not up at all, barely any movement in Conservative. It does suggest the Tories will do relatively much better in London than elsewhere.
    It's also hard to see Tories on 19% nationally if on 22% in London imo, 22% London would be more in line with 25% nationally would be the assumption I worked from.
    They'd hold 8 to 12 on that polling in London
    Well yes, but why does this London poll trump all the other national ones?
  • Options

I think a big reason why the Tories are losing this time is the 2019 result was artificially inflated. For all the talk of ‘where Sunak went wrong’ we must remember that:

- Many 2019 Tory voters would never normally vote Tory, but ‘lent’ them their vote to ‘Get Brexit done’. Once we had left the EU they were happy to go back to Labour or other parties, particularly once the 2nd Ref idea was killed. See the 2017 vs 2019 Labour result for some (imperfect) evidence of the latter.

- Many moderate voters were put off by fears of a Corbyn Government, whereas they’re fine with Starmer. Starmer might be less popular with the youth/left but this largely only affects seats that Labour would win anyway.

- Lib Dems were advocating for 2nd Ref/Rejoin EU in 2019. Now they’re only saying ‘Single Market rejoin’ which doesn’t alienate Tory voters in Lib Dem Marginals.

- The Brexit Party stood down in Tory-held seats in 2019. REFUK is not doing so this time. This is a huge understated factor.

^ The above 4 reasons mean that even before you look at Partygate, Liz Truss, D-Day Gate, Wagergate, Inflation, Immigration, elderly Tory voters dying, Boris’ Johnson’s personal popularity being higher than Truss/Sunak… or anything else that has actually happened between 2019-2024 - the ‘baseline’ of the 2024 result was artificially low.

Boris’ 365 Tory seats on 43.6% was in some ways inflated by the above. Pandemic CON polling of >50% was more a ‘rally round the flag’ effect as we saw mirrored in other countries worldwide - but it may have made the 43.6% look more real.

I’m not defending Sunak’s record at all - I just don’t think he had much of a hope to begin with of preventing a Labour victory.

Overall I think it’s much easier to rationalise

I concur preventing a Labour win was likely beyond him when he took over (without Labour cocking up). But, I don't think it was particularly difficult to be aiming for the 175-250 seat bands rather than the 50-150 bands. He had to choose one of centrist or populist and then focus on delivery rather than daily headlines.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,837

Cookie said:

rkrkrk said:

However I think for most folk who tool along in reasonably good health there comes a precipice when a few things can hit you at once. Dementia is the one thing I fear more than anything so I probably fixate a bit too much on that.
    Best of luck, I hope your fears are unrealised

They say that after the age of 60, smoking is probably a net positive, as it seems to fend off dementia - or so my chain smoking Dad would say, and TBF he puffed away until he conked out at 88 - with all his marbles

My mum the resolute non smoker is less lucky

I also think travel is good (it’s one reason I do so much of it). It keeps you physically and mentally fit because every day is a series of Sudoku tests and a sequence of weights, as you work out how to park in Paris or order octopus in Managua, and as you lug your bags about, endlessly…
  • Options

This may or may not help anyone's betting.

Libdems are favs to win in 57 seats.
    SNP are favs to win in 18 seats.

Bookies' current o/u line for the Nats is 21.5. value on the underside? Not sure.

Thanks Paul.

The interesting thing about that LD figure is that is exactly the same as the buy price on the spreads.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,387
    Nunu5 said:

TimS said:

Another of those fun journalist visits constituency and talks to people videos. Could Liz Truss be in danger?

https://x.com/darrenmccaffrey/status/1805164027435229251

No Tory is truly safe. This is as the Americans call it a wave election. Which torys will be left when the tide is out? Well see
    HOC makeup according to all the MRPs/models I can find (YG,NS,EC,IPSOS) (Not Telegraph)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R-AChxDPCIm2kpSJrbwr4pzE_auzeYm__hZukaloLow/edit?usp=sharing
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,398

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

@estwebber
    Exc: Will Tanner, Sunak’s deputy chief of staff, tells activists he is in danger of losing Bury St Edmunds

In a text, he says poll out today shows Cons on 32.5%, Labour on 32.7%, and Reform on 20.5%

There are going to be an awful lot of seats (quite possibly 100+) where Labour win with a majority significantly smaller than Reform's votes.
    B StE is just about on the cusp according to Baxter. It's the 77th safest Tory seat, so if it is truly marginal, we are probably looking at fewer than 100 Conservative MPs in the new House.
    Which is the sense check that Alistair points out in the piece upthread. The public data crunching is consistent with the the parties seem to be doing on the ground. It points to the Conservatives being an error range either side of 100 seats, not 150 or 200.

It's bonkers. But still it moves.
  • Options

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

On a foggy Fenland day, with the lantern of the cathedral rising above the silvery mist, the Isle of Ely is shared between the kingdom of England and the kingdom of Heaven

The great Gothic cathedrals of Europe - and Ely is one of the best - are arguably the greatest artistic achievements of humanity. And yes, if they can silence us by their noom now, imagine what they did to a 14th century pilgrim used to a mud hut
  • Options
    edited June 24

Bookies' current o/u line for the Nats is 21.5. value on the underside? Not sure.

Thanks Paul.

The interesting thing about that LD figure is that is exactly the same as the buy price on the spreads.
    IPSOS is significantly lower on the LD figure than other models/MRPS. As an example they have the Tories holding Newbury - everyone else thinks it is going yellow. Torbay is another IPSOS hold, going yellow elsewhere.
  • Options

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

Well, we had the PM at the Covid enquiry explaining how he'd lost his WhatsApp messages.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,499

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

@Savanta_UK
    @QMUL

📈33 point Labour lead

🌹Lab 55 (+2)
    🌳Con 22 (-1)
    🔶LD 13 (-3)
    ➡️Reform 8 (=)
    🌍Green 5 (+1)

(change vs 26-30 April)

That's a very different pattern from the rest of the country given it's movement since April. Reform not up at all, barely any movement in Conservative. It does suggest the Tories will do relatively much better in London than elsewhere.
    It's also hard to see Tories on 19% nationally if on 22% in London imo, 22% London would be more in line with 25% nationally would be the assumption I worked from.
    It doesn't. But it is one piece of evidence to consider. It might be wrong. The national polling might be wrong. But this regional poll is more a fit to the MRP VIs than the Generic polling VIs.
    We get to find out in 10 days
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,053

I think a big reason why the Tories are losing this time is the 2019 result was artificially inflated. For all the talk of ‘where Sunak went wrong’ we must remember that:

- Many 2019 Tory voters would never normally vote Tory, but ‘lent’ them their vote to ‘Get Brexit done’. Once we had left the EU they were happy to go back to Labour or other parties, particularly once the 2nd Ref idea was killed. See the 2017 vs 2019 Labour result for some (imperfect) evidence of the latter.

- Many moderate voters were put off by fears of a Corbyn Government, whereas they’re fine with Starmer. Starmer might be less popular with the youth/left but this largely only affects seats that Labour would win anyway.

- Lib Dems were advocating for 2nd Ref/Rejoin EU in 2019. Now they’re only saying ‘Single Market rejoin’ which doesn’t alienate Tory voters in Lib Dem Marginals.

- The Brexit Party stood down in Tory-held seats in 2019. REFUK is not doing so this time. This is a huge understated factor.

^ The above 4 reasons mean that even before you look at Partygate, Liz Truss, D-Day Gate, Wagergate, Inflation, Immigration, elderly Tory voters dying, Boris’ Johnson’s personal popularity being higher than Truss/Sunak… or anything else that has actually happened between 2019-2024 - the ‘baseline’ of the 2024 result was artificially low.

Boris’ 365 Tory seats on 43.6% was in some ways inflated by the above. Pandemic CON polling of >50% was more a ‘rally round the flag’ effect as we saw mirrored in other countries worldwide - but it may have made the 43.6% look more real.

I’m not defending Sunak’s record at all - I just don’t think he had much of a hope to begin with of preventing a Labour victory.

The Lib Dems were advocating for straight "revoke Art 50" in 2019. Which is why I resigned from the party. I had major differences with posters on here regarding whether a 2nd Ref was democratic (I maintain it would have been) but I have no hesitation in saying that a straight revoke without a Referendum would have been undemocratic. It was also electorally stupid.
  • Options
    ianian Posts: 18
    So many posrers bemoan the fact that SKS is uncharismatic, even boring. I would suggest that the best PM outside of wartime in the 20th century,Clem Atlee, was uncharismatic, maybr boring ( remember Churchill's quip ''An empty taxi drew up and Mr Atlee got out) if SKS is as boring and effective as Atlee I will go with that
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

The great Gothic cathedrals of Europe - and Ely is one of the best - are arguably the greatest artistic achievements of humanity. And yes, if they can silence us by their noom now, imagine what they did to a 14th century pilgrim used to a mud hut
    True that.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,032
    What are the Northern Irish seats looking like?

It looks as if the Lib Dems really are within cooee of coming second, and any Alliance MPs might be critical, since there’s potential to share the whip in the Commons as they do already in the Lords.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,339

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

@estwebber

Baxter/EC current prediction is indeed 76 seats for the Tories. BstE the new bellwether. Tory since a by election just before the Battle of Maldon in 991.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,725
    Good observation.

It’s not surprising Farage is throwing a strop, because this might be the first time a right wing newspaper has properly gone after him in twenty years
    https://x.com/cjayanetti/status/1804988832590462993
  • Options
    Having said that, I personally expect the Lib Dems to land around 50 seats and the Tories to remain in triple figures.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,696
    TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

I think that's all of them. The list starts to make divided islands seem like the norm, and Britain wasn't far from joining it, and may yet do so in our lifetime (most of us have got at least most of a generation left in us, I think).
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,230

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

Well, we had the PM at the Covid enquiry explaining how he'd lost his WhatsApp messages.
    Something that also affected politicians in Scotland and Wales at their enquiries.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,472
    edited June 24

HYUFD said:

Sandpit said:

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Is this true ?

https://www.iaindale.com/articles/is-starmergeddon-coming-for-the-tories
    ..If what I am hearing is right, CCHQ has more or less given up the ghost. I have heard of three candidates in Tory held seats with majorities of between four and six thousand, who have been ordered to shut down their campaigns and redeploy themselves to help cabinet ministers with majorities in excess of 20,000. And if they refuse, their computer logins to the party systems are cancelled and they’re told they won’t remain on the candidates list after the election...

I wonder how someone in (say) Steve Baker's position would feel about that ?

True or not, I'm not at a point in my life where I give a shit about Steve Baker's feelings
    You should do.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/steve-baker-northern-ireland-brexit-stress-b2290811.html

He's not going to experience a Charles Kennedy moment after losing his seat but I do worry for him.
    Obviously, one has to feel some human sympathy for people in these sorts of circumstances - the nature of elections is that some people win and some lose, but it obviously affects people in different ways.

However, I do wonder whether it will all be a bit of a relief for some of those MPs who lose. Westminster isn't necessarily great for people's mental health, and the mood among Tories who remain after 4th July is unlikely to be that great. A bit of time with family, taking a holiday and so on may not be the worst outcome.

Kennedy was a different case, of course. Being an MP was his whole life from a very young age, he'd been having issues over a period of time, his marriage had ended and so on. It remains extremely sad.
    In 2010, I expected to lose, and had ramped up my spare-time involvement in translation in anticipation, as well as putting out feelers for other jobs - I assume many Tory MPs have done something similar. To my astonishment I nearly won, which would have been fun (Broxtowe started as a very safe Tory seat when I won it in 1997), but also would have made it much harder to find another job in 2015 after another 5 years. I think it'd be unusual, though, not to have any job options at all after a stretch in Parliament.
    I wonder if anyone has compiled a database of what the outgoing cohort of MPs did for a living before Parliament?

I suspect that many were political animals of some sort (SpAd, party worker, Union organiser etc), and that lawyers are over-represented in Parliament compared to the general population, as are public-sector workers. We do all know one who was a bookmaker!
    43% of new Conservative MPs elected in 2019 were councillors, 25% were in business/commerce, 9% political/social/policy researchers and 8% lawyers.

52% of new Labour MPs elected in 2019 were councillors, 12% trade union officials, 9.5% political/social/policy researchers and 8% lawyers.

52% of new SNP MPs were councillors, 62% political/social/policy researchers, 16% in business/commerce and 6% party officials.

36% of new LD MPs were councillors, 18% in business/commerce, 18% political/social/policy researchers and 9% lawyers and 9% teachers or academics.

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-7483/CBP-7483.pdf
    Interesting but I don't quite get it. Councillors are not paid right? So were those who were previously councillors (43% Con, 52% Lab) also doing other jobs?

Also, the numbers in that table on page 26 of that paper don't add up.
    Councillors get an allowance if on district, county, unitary or London borough and can earn up to £30-50k if on the Cabinet of a County Council, Unitary Council or London Borough. Some will have other jobs but not all and many will be self employed or politicial researchers/SPADs as their other job
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,425

Cookie said:

rkrkrk said:

Divvie, sorry to hear the news, keep ploughing on and stay healthy.
  • Options

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

@Savanta_UK
    @QMUL

📈33 point Labour lead

🌹Lab 55 (+2)
    🌳Con 22 (-1)
    🔶LD 13 (-3)
    ➡️Reform 8 (=)
    🌍Green 5 (+1)

(change vs 26-30 April)

Incumbancy is split in London. Tories can blame Khan for all the ills of the world.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,085

Yes, that's roughly my guess in @Farooq 's excellent competition.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@Savanta_UK
    @QMUL

📈33 point Labour lead

🌹Lab 55 (+2)
    🌳Con 22 (-1)
    🔶LD 13 (-3)
    ➡️Reform 8 (=)
    🌍Green 5 (+1)

(change vs 26-30 April)

Wow -103% before you even get to the independents!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@estwebber

Bury St Edmunds is very very close according to all the MRPs.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,532
    TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

There are lots more.

Market, and that island in North America that now gives Canada a land border with Greenland/Denmark (?)
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,126
    edited June 24

Having said that, I personally expect the Lib Dems to land around 50 seats and the Tories to remain in triple figures.

I'm not so sure - when I suggested that the Tory party where on 100 +/-80 when the election began it started as a joke.

Now I think it's very possible that the Tory party are on 90 +/- 70 depending on how many Tory voters actually turn out and vote...
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,001
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

rkrkrk said:

They say that after the age of 60, smoking is probably a net positive, as it seems to fend off dementia - or so my chain smoking Dad would say, and TBF he puffed away until he conked out at 88 - with all his marbles

I also think travel is good (it’s one reason I do so much of it). It keeps you physically and mentally fit because every day is a series of Sudoku tests and a sequence of weights, as you work out how to park in Paris or order octopus in Managua, and as you lug your bags about, endlessly…
    Probably most people would not take health advice from you - but just in case... smoking is linked to dementia.
    https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/managing-the-risk-of-dementia/reduce-your-risk-of-dementia/smoking

But I'll throw you a bone. There are theories that viagra is linked to dementia prevention
    https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2024-06-07-sildenafil-viagra-improves-brain-blood-flow-and-could-help-prevent-dementia
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,166
    Mr. Leon, while not quite mud huts, it was startling to learn (Ian Mortimer's Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England) that the cookery equipment/utensils of a peasant's house were often worth more than the house itself.

Comparing prices over that length of time is nigh on impossible because the price of labour was so low whereas the price of objects was so high.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Then you think wrongly!
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 422
    johnt said:

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

A very balanced response. Those Tories wondering why they have become so unpopular and lacking in friends should use this exchange as a point of learning.
    Many politically neutral people believe that the Lib Dem’s did the right thing for the country by stepping in to a huge problem and trying to help sort the country out in 2010. As a ‘reward’ they were shafted by the Tories in 2015.
    The attempts to smear Davey are falling on increasingly deaf ears because people understand that many Tories have similar (or in many cases more important) questions to answer about the post office scandal and the electorate have heard enough of lies from a party where senior officials think it’s fine to use insider information to make a few quid out of betting.
    There is some truth in the old advice to be careful who you abuse on the way up because one day you might need them on the way down. The Tories have lost everyone who would work with them and now seem to be losing the electorate as well. That is likely to mean a few very, very difficult years for them indeed.
    Let's be clear. Davey, and the other two LibDem junior ministers at Business, were preceded or followed by NINETEEN Tory or Labour junior minsters who did just as little to help subpostmasters between 1999 and 2024 - and haven't been pilloried by the Tory tabloids. Unlike Blair, no LibDem changed the law to put the burden of proof onto defendants when subpostmasters were falsely accused of theft on the basis of crap software. Unlike the National Federation of Subpostmasters on June 21, no LibDem has sat in the inquiry insisting the only culprit is Post Office management for not defending Horizon robustly enough.
  • Options

Cookie said:

rkrkrk said:

Interdental toothbrushes are great for oral hygiene. My dentist got me using them a couple of years ago. They're far more effective and easy to use than dental floss, and my gums have become noticeably healthier. Hopefully this is also helping to keep potentially dementia-inducing oral bacterial out of my bloodstream.
    When I was first introduced to them it was basically stabbing yourself in the gum with a wire. But they've improved since then, and I really like the silicon covered ones - and I think I've noticed a difference from using them.
  • Options
    Skyr Toolmakersson is actually quite odd

“The next Prime Minister of Great Britain and Northern Ireland owns set after set of only two outfits; he says that he doesn’t dream, he doesn’t have a favourite novel or poem; he speaks about himself in the third person.”

https://x.com/pimlico_journal/status/1805186253718954416?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@Savanta_UK
    @QMUL

📈33 point Labour lead

🌹Lab 55 (+2)
    🌳Con 22 (-1)
    🔶LD 13 (-3)
    ➡️Reform 8 (=)
    🌍Green 5 (+1)

(change vs 26-30 April)

Confirms Orpington as a Tory redoubt.
  • Options
    Hans Island is the most recent one.

Great win a bet in the pub question. Canada has land borders with which countries?
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

rkrkrk said:

Probably most people would not take health advice from you - but just in case... smoking is linked to dementia.
    https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/managing-the-risk-of-dementia/reduce-your-risk-of-dementia/smoking

But I'll throw you a bone. There are theories that viagra is linked to dementia prevention
    https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2024-06-07-sildenafil-viagra-improves-brain-blood-flow-and-could-help-prevent-dementia
    Interesting research, but if faced with scrutiny will it stand up?
  • Options

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

TimS said:

DougSeal said:

We are getting to the 'political end' of the Inquiry, but note the Inquiry's terms of reference were set by Civil Servants, so don't expect the Civil Service to be exposed by much scrutiny. Their political masters will, I expect, mostly take the line 'We were lied to', which is probably true but wouldn't really tell the whole story.

Jo Swinson is also due to appear. My reading of the story so far suggests she is an a more awkward spot than Sir Ed.

Their testimony comes after the election.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,128
    Just voted Conservative - as usual.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

St Martin/Maarten in the Caribbean - French/Dutch
    The way they agreed to define the border there is quite amusing got a French bloke and a Dutch geezer to stand back to back then walk around the coastline until they met again, as I understand it.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,339

Great win a bet in the pub question. Canada has land borders with which countries?

USA only.
  • Options
    edited June 24

Mr. Leon, while not quite mud huts, it was startling to learn (Ian Mortimer's Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England) that the cookery equipment/utensils of a peasant's house were often worth more than the house itself.

Comparing prices over that length of time is nigh on impossible because the price of labour was so low whereas the price of objects was so high.

And they had so few objects

You’d get wills mentioning someone’s “five spoons and a kettle”

Imagine showing them a smartphone. It would be something BEYOND magic

“So yes through this box you can look at any other human in the world and talk to them. Also it contains all of human knowledge and can capture frozen images of everything you see and play you music of infinite variety and help you solve any problem. With this small metal box you become God”

Having a smartphone in 1372 would turn you into a god. Omniscient and omnipresent
  • Options

USA and France
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@Savanta_UK
    @QMUL

📈33 point Labour lead

🌹Lab 55 (+2)
    🌳Con 22 (-1)
    🔶LD 13 (-3)
    ➡️Reform 8 (=)
    🌍Green 5 (+1)

(change vs 26-30 April)

LD is 10% not 13%
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@Savanta_UK
    @QMUL

📈33 point Labour lead

🌹Lab 55 (+2)
    🌳Con 22 (-1)
    🔶LD 13 (-3)
    ➡️Reform 8 (=)
    🌍Green 5 (+1)

(change vs 26-30 April)

The Savanta tweet now shows the LDs on 10 so it does add to 100% (but no independents). Presume it was a forced choice, DKs discared.

https://x.com/Savanta_UK/status/1805185928509403289
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

USA only.
    Incorrect
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,696
    edited June 24

Chameleon said:

Nunu5 said:

TimS said:

Another of those fun journalist visits constituency and talks to people videos. Could Liz Truss be in danger?

No Tory is truly safe. This is as the Americans call it a wave election. Which torys will be left when the tide is out? Well see
    The Gillingham and St Pancreas polls back that up - Labour will get massive swings in Tory safe seats, losing ground in Labour safe seats.
    If that pattern's repeated across the country it's going to make the first declarations interesting - Labour doing worse than expected maybe in those early seats?
    Houghton and Sunderland South will be one of the first handful of seats to declare. In 2019, the shares were:

LAB 40.7%
    CON 32.9%
    BXP 15.5%
    LDM 5.8%
    GRN 2.8%
    UKP 2.3%

I can easily imagine a 2024 result along the lines of:

LAB 43%
    RFM 33%
    CON 11%
    GRN 9%
    LDM 4%

Massive Reform surge, but not close to winning, Labour will below expectations - not looking like they're about to be swept to a landslide majority - Tory vote disintegrated, Green protest votes, anti-Corbyn votes for the Lib Dems going back to Labour.

Edit: And if it presages a very efficient vote distribution it could end up with 500 seats on barely 40% of the votes.
  • Options
    Leon said:

And of course there was the very famous Elizabethean writer who left his wife his second best bed.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,001

rkrkrk said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

rkrkrk said:

We certainly need to bring matters to a head on this one.
  • Options
    Leon said:

“The next Prime Minister of Great Britain and Northern Ireland owns set after set of only two outfits; he says that he doesn’t dream, he doesn’t have a favourite novel or poem; he speaks about himself in the third person.”

https://x.com/pimlico_journal/status/1805186253718954416?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

The first of those is odd but something I can happily get on board with and indeed have moved towards as I've got older - when I find a clothing item I like, I tend to buy several of them. The problem is, of course, when clothing manufacturers - who are addicted to novelty - change their product.

I don't know that I have a favourite novel or poem. I don't think that's odd. I mean, if I was to take a day or so to try to list all the books or poems I'd ever read, I could probably rank them, but I don't have one to hand. And fiction isn't a big part of my life.

Not dreaming is odd indeed. Does anyone else here not dream? That strikes me as being so singular as worthy of study by a psychologist. I mean, I don't think I particularly benefit from my dreams, but I have them - it's part of the human condition. Part of the mammalian condition, I'd suggest.

Talking about yourself in the third person is also very odd, but affected odd. You can only really carry that off if you're a fictional sitcom character like the Fonz, or Terry out of Brooklyn 911.And SKS is neither of those.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

rkrkrk said:

We certainly need to bring matters to a head on this one.
    I agree, it really shouldn't be that hard.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,885

Chameleon said:

Nunu5 said:

TimS said:

The Gillingham and St Pancreas polls back that up - Labour will get massive swings in Tory safe seats, losing ground in Labour safe seats.
    If that pattern's repeated across the country it's going to make the first declarations interesting - Labour doing worse than expected maybe in those early seats?
    Houghton and Sunderland South will be one of the first handful of seats to declare. In 2019, the shares were:

LAB 40.7%
    CON 32.9%
    BXP 15.5%
    LDM 5.8%
    GRN 2.8%
    UKP 2.3%

LAB 43%
    RFM 33%
    CON 11%
    GRN 9%
    LDM 4%

Massive Reform surge, but not close to winning, Labour will below expectations - not looking like they're about to be swept to a landslide majority - Tory vote disintegrated, Green protest votes, anti-Corbyn votes for the Lib Dems going back to Labour.

Edit: And if it presages a very efficient vote distribution it could end up with 500 seats on barely 40% of the votes.
    Those figures look very plausible.
  • Options

Leon said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

St Martin/Maarten in the Caribbean - French/Dutch
    The way they agreed to define the border there is quite amusing got a French bloke and a Dutch geezer to stand back to back then walk around the coastline until they met again, as I understand it.
    ISTR a similar arrangement between French and Spanish on Hispaniola (though this was something I read over 40 years ago at primary school and have never heard referenced since - so perhaps there is some crossing of wires going on.)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,786
    rkrkrk said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

rkrkrk said:

Throw him a boner as it were.

You’ll have to tear my puerile sense of humour from my cold dead fingers.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,387

Whilst I largely agree with that it would be, at worst, responsible for a baseline of 35% and not the low 20s as we currently have.

For that, we have the individuals you mention to thank.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

The first of those is odd but something I can happily get on board with and indeed have moved towards as I've got older - when I find a clothing item I like, I tend to buy several of them. The problem is, of course, when clothing manufacturers - who are addicted to novelty - change their product.

I don't know that I have a favourite novel or poem. I don't think that's odd. I mean, if I was to take a day or so to try to list all the books or poems I'd ever read, I could probably rank them, but I don't have one to hand. And fiction isn't a big part of my life.

Not dreaming is odd indeed. Does anyone else here not dream? That strikes me as being so singular as worthy of study by a psychologist. I mean, I don't think I particularly benefit from my dreams, but I have them - it's part of the human condition. Part of the mammalian condition, I'd suggest.

Talking about yourself in the third person is also very odd, but affected odd. You can only really carry that off if you're a fictional sitcom character like the Fonz, or Terry out of Brooklyn 911.And SKS is neither of those.
    Yes I agree. First two are just quirks (I’m similar on clothes I like now)

But the last two are decidedly strange, and a little unsettling
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,222
    Leon said:

“So yes through this box you can look at any other human in the world and talk to them. Also it contains all of human knowledge and can capture frozen images of everything you see and play you music of infinite variety and help you solve any problem. With this small metal box you become God”

Having a smartphone in 1372 would turn you into a god. Omniscient and omnipresent
    Small problem with finding a signal, not to mention recharging.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

Nunu5 said:

TimS said:

LAB 40.7%
    CON 32.9%
    BXP 15.5%
    LDM 5.8%
    GRN 2.8%
    UKP 2.3%

LAB 43%
    RFM 33%
    CON 11%
    GRN 9%
    LDM 4%

That result would be worse for Labour, better for Reform, better for Green and worse for the Tories generally (Better for them than with Yougov)

EC
    LAB CON RFM LIB GRN OTH
    56.5 16.6 17.7 5.2 4.0 0.0

YG
    LAB CON RFM LIB GRN NAT OTH
    55% 8% 24% 6% 6% 0% 0%

New Statesman MRP (22nd)
    LAB CON RFM LIB GRN NAT
    52.1% 22.7% 17.4% 4.5% 3.3% 0.0%

IPSOS
    LAB CON RFM LIB GRN NAT OTH
    54% 16% 20% 4% 5% 0 0
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,741

algarkirk said:

USA only.
    Incorrect
    No Googling, but I believe it is Norway?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,885
    edited June 24
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

@estwebber

Tories could be saved there by a large Green vote.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,387
    Leon said:

Always reassuring when someone talks about themselves in the 3rd person.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Though I suspect you'd struggle to get a signal. And even assuming you could get one, every Wikipedia page would be summed up as 'God did it.'
  • Options
    Leon said:

Depends on the signal, shirley?

(A smartphone with no signal but with a solar charger would still be an instrument of magic, though.)
  • Options

algarkirk said:

USA only.
    Incorrect
    So, USA, Denmark on Hans Island, France no because its maritime to St Pierre, so I guess Russia in the Arctic islands?
  • Options
    edited June 24

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Then you think wrongly!
    Yes, in my defence I rowed back quite quickly from this in a subsequent post. The answer appears to be 18-ish.
  • Options
    Ice presumably doesn't count. So it must be Greenland. The tricky bit is remembering the precise current status of Greenland, as an independent state or part of Denmark ...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Thanks Paul.

IPSOS is significantly lower on the LD figure than other models/MRPS. As an example they have the Tories holding Newbury - everyone else thinks it is going yellow. Torbay is another IPSOS hold, going yellow elsewhere.
    Ooh, goodie. Had a few quid on the Yellows to win Torbay. [Don't tell Marquee Mark.]
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,741
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Not dreaming - I didn't dream for about 12 years.

Oddly enough I started dreaming again recently - still not often, but sometimes which is more than I was doing. Whether its change of diet, lifestyle, career or something else behind that I'm not sure.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,841
    Leon said:

One of my driving daydreams is imagining Brunel (*) suddenly appears in the car with me as I'm driving, and imagining the reaction to everything in the car - and he sees outside.

The thing is, Btunel would probably come to terms with it fairly easily. He would understand steam engines to a certain degree, and the structures he sees. Electricity was known to him, as was the telegraph. What would he think of the radio, let alone what they say on it? Lorries? What happens if he looked into the sky and saw a plane, or a helicopter?

But if you go further back in history, it'd be harder for people to come to terms with what they see and experience.

(*) Sometimes other people, e.g. Hooke.
  • Options
    edited June 24
    Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

@estwebber

Probably needs to be over 10% at least for the Tories tbh, which is shown by the models.
  • Options

Leon said:

(A smartphone with no signal but with a solar charger would still be an instrument of magic, though.)
    And a free instant barbecue when the local priests got to hear about it.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,016
    Leon said:

We miss Mr M.
    We do. He was very eloquent. He gave me the word “penelopising” which is now my daughter’s favourite word

Also the reason for his departure - incendiary anger at Brexit causing him to lose his rag with PBers to an alarming extent - has surely subsided. Indeed he could be on here enjoyably gloating at the Brexiteers’ downfall

One of his biggies was the potential threat to medicines supply (I believe for his partner). Recent times we are indeed struggling for some medicines, although, as with everything post Brexit, its not just down to Brexit.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,671
    edited June 24
    kinabalu said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes, bit of dramatic licence from me there.
    The important one is Hans Island, between Canada and Denmark.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/21/labour-drafts-options-for-wealth-taxes-to-unlock-funds-for-public-services

(I See this has been done)
  • Options

Leon said:

One of my driving daydreams is imagining Brunel (*) suddenly appears in the car with me as I'm driving, and imagining the reaction to everything in the car - and he sees outside.

The thing is, Btunel would probably come to terms with it fairly easily. He would understand steam engines to a certain degree, and the structures he sees. Electricity was known to him, as was the telegraph. What would he think of the radio, let alone what they say on it? Lorries? What happens if he looked into the sky and saw a plane, or a helicopter?

But if you go further back in history, it'd be harder for people to come to terms with what they see and experience.

(*) Sometimes other people, e.g. Hooke.
    A subtler issue might be the notion of major corporations, countrywide-integrated operation and management. Though IKB would have a head start here as well - his dad's work for the RN (Portsmouth Block Mills, Chatham sawmill ...) and his own on the GWR would familiarise him with the notion, both state and privately owned.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

@estwebber

Well the Tories are currently being destroyed by a 20.5% reform vote..
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Ice presumably doesn't count. So it must be Greenland. The tricky bit is remembering the precise current status of Greenland, as an independent state or part of Denmark ...

Devo max max A++++ with a gold star.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,142
    edited June 24
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

I think I would take a modern mountain bike to 1372 rather than a smartphone.

I mean, you can mostly see how it works, so it isn't magic. And it requires no other infrastructure.

But try getting the local blacksmith to manufacture the parts...
  • Options

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Oddly enough I started dreaming again recently - still not often, but sometimes which is more than I was doing. Whether its change of diet, lifestyle, career or something else behind that I'm not sure.
    AFAIUI, it's actually quite likely that you and SKS did/do dream - you just don't wake up during your dreams. The only dreams you remember are the ones you wake during.
    I don't know whether I envy you or not. On one hand, dreams are sometimes entertaining. But waking up from a not-dream is a rare and pleasant experience which presumably you had/SKS has all the time. It can't be more than once a month I wake up having not been dreaming.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Leon said:

When I was on SSRIs I stopped dreaming. Then discontinuation hit and for a while I couldn’t quite figure out what was a dream and what was a memory.
  • Options

Leon said:

We miss Mr M.
    We do. He was very eloquent. He gave me the word “penelopising” which is now my daughter’s favourite word

Also the reason for his departure - incendiary anger at Brexit causing him to lose his rag with PBers to an alarming extent - has surely subsided. Indeed he could be on here enjoyably gloating at the Brexiteers’ downfall

One of his biggies was the potential threat to medicines supply (I believe for his partner). Recent times we are indeed struggling for some medicines, although, as with everything post Brexit, its not just down to Brexit.
    Yep - there's an awful lot of seeking profit rather than public good involved as well..
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

I mean, you can mostly see how it works, so it isn't magic. And it requires no other infrastructure.

How would it work if lubricated with the fat skimmed off boiling mutton potage?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,142
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

How would it work if lubricated with the fat skimmed off boiling mutton potage?
    Isn't that what we all have to use now? None of this nasty mineral oil.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,834
    Leon said:

coughcoughpsychopathcoughcough
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,505

Ben Gartside
    @BenGartside
    ·
    16h
    Scoop: HS2 cancellation will mean fares increase between London and the north to reduce travellers amid capacity problems.

There will be 8% fewer seats on future trains after the high-speed line was scrapped, and prices are set to go up to reduce demand

https://x.com/BenGartside/status/1804950585919091180
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,016

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

I think the same way about Salisbury cathedral (and particularly the spire).
  • Options
    edited June 24
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

AFAIUI, it's actually quite likely that you and SKS did/do dream - you just don't wake up during your dreams. The only dreams you remember are the ones you wake during.
    I don't know whether I envy you or not. On one hand, dreams are sometimes entertaining. But waking up from a not-dream is a rare and pleasant experience which presumably you had/SKS has all the time. It can't be more than once a month I wake up having not been dreaming.
    How odd.
    I very seldom dream.
    I did have a dream the other night, and before that it must have been about six months.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,957
    felix said:

Just voted Conservative - as usual.

Another straw in the wind alongside council by-elections for those of us sending the Tory polling is badly wrong.