Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Your chart du jour – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,984

Alastair Meeks has set out his expectations for the election.

https://alastair-meeks.medium.com/not-a-prediction-bea8d1b7ae11

He was one of the best posters on here, along with Richard.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,026

Ben Gartside
    @BenGartside
    ·
    16h
    Scoop: HS2 cancellation will mean fares increase between London and the north to reduce travellers amid capacity problems.

There will be 8% fewer seats on future trains after the high-speed line was scrapped, and prices are set to go up to reduce demand

https://x.com/BenGartside/status/1804950585919091180

The plan is working
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,282

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

The Isle of Wight is being split in two for this election. I was just thinking it would be funny if one of the seats went to the Greens and the other to RefUK.

That could lead to a Korea style partition.
    More Cyprus surely. Island and all that. Maybe with a tiny bit of British crown territory somewhere near the Needles.

A surprising number of divided islands now I come to think of it. Timor, Borneo, Papua, Ireland, Hispaniola. Probably more I've forgotten.
    Actually surprisingly few. There's also Tierra del Fuego, and I think somewhere in the Baltic, but I think that's all.
    Cookie said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

The Isle of Wight is being split in two for this election. I was just thinking it would be funny if one of the seats went to the Greens and the other to RefUK.

More Cyprus surely. Island and all that. Maybe with a tiny bit of British crown territory somewhere near the Needles.

A surprising number of divided islands now I come to think of it. Timor, Borneo, Papua, Ireland, Hispaniola. Probably more I've forgotten.
    Actually surprisingly few. There's also Tierra del Fuego, and I think somewhere in the Baltic, but I think that's all.
    I take it back - there's actually 18:
    https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/islands-that-are-shared-by-more-than-one-country.html
    On a foggy Fenland day, with the lantern of the cathedral rising above the silvery mist, the Isle of Ely is shared between the kingdom of England and the kingdom of Heaven
    And it has that effect now.

God knows what effect it had on your standard issue medieval fenlander.
    Exactly the same effect as the notion of increased tax on one of our more right wing PBers. The poor sods had to pay for it, one way or another.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,191
    As @david_herdson posted this on Twitter rather than here

One consequence of Reform surging in the polls is that reversing Brexit is off the agenda for at least a decade.

Even if there was the will to do so within Labour - and there obviously isn't - it's surely unlikely the EU would entertain the notion with Reform as a major party.

I think it comes down to the end polling figures - Reform get 20% of the votes and shifting to the EU is going to be hard, Reform getting 8% and they really are a dying problem...
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,634
    I just got a letter from the son of John Maples, former Tory MP for Stratford

He is campaigning, on behalf of the Lib Dems
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,780
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

Skyr Toolmakersson is actually quite odd

“The next Prime Minister of Great Britain and Northern Ireland owns set after set of only two outfits; he says that he doesn’t dream, he doesn’t have a favourite novel or poem; he speaks about himself in the third person.”

https://x.com/pimlico_journal/status/1805186253718954416?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

coughcoughpsychopathcoughcough
    Someone yawn in his presence. If he doesn't yawn too...we have a problem!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Indeed. Some of the other PBers weren't as sensitive as they could have been about his concern over Brexit, to put it mildly. Unedifying.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,711
    Leon said:

Mr. Leon, while not quite mud huts, it was startling to learn (Ian Mortimer's Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England) that the cookery equipment/utensils of a peasant's house were often worth more than the house itself.

Comparing prices over that length of time is nigh on impossible because the price of labour was so low whereas the price of objects was so high.

And they had so few objects

You’d get wills mentioning someone’s “five spoons and a kettle”

Imagine showing them a smartphone. It would be something BEYOND magic

“So yes through this box you can look at any other human in the world and talk to them. Also it contains all of human knowledge and can capture frozen images of everything you see and play you music of infinite variety and help you solve any problem. With this small metal box you become God”

Having a smartphone in 1372 would turn you into a god. Omniscient and omnipresent
    Although, in many respects, most smartphones now are dumb terminals with a camera.

Everything is in data centres. Wikipedia, music streaming, communication reliant on the network.

If you had a smartphone in 1372, and solar panels to charge it, you'd be able to: take photos, record videos, record audio, have a torch, measure time reasonably accurately, perform numerical calculations, act as a spirit level, and, um, that would be pretty much it.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,425

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Mr. Leon, while not quite mud huts, it was startling to learn (Ian Mortimer's Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England) that the cookery equipment/utensils of a peasant's house were often worth more than the house itself.

Comparing prices over that length of time is nigh on impossible because the price of labour was so low whereas the price of objects was so high.

“So yes through this box you can look at any other human in the world and talk to them. Also it contains all of human knowledge and can capture frozen images of everything you see and play you music of infinite variety and help you solve any problem. With this small metal box you become God”

Having a smartphone in 1372 would turn you into a god. Omniscient and omnipresent
    Depends on the signal, shirley?

(A smartphone with no signal but with a solar charger would still be an instrument of magic, though.)
    And a free instant barbecue when the local priests got to hear about it.
    I think I would take a modern mountain bike to 1372 rather than a smartphone.

I mean, you can mostly see how it works, so it isn't magic. And it requires no other infrastructure.

But try getting the local blacksmith to manufacture the parts...
    Surely the only correct answer to the question of what to take on a trip to the medieval era is a 12 gauge, double barrel Remington...

https://youtu.be/GULItNlBvJc?feature=shared&t=139
  • Options
    eek said:

One consequence of Reform surging in the polls is that reversing Brexit is off the agenda for at least a decade.

Even if there was the will to do so within Labour - and there obviously isn't - it's surely unlikely the EU would entertain the notion with Reform as a major party.

I think it comes down to the end polling figures - Reform get 20% of the votes and shifting to the EU is going to be hard, Reform getting 8% and they really are a dying problem...

I don't agree.

Reform surging means they are still enraged by "the forrin", but that doesn't equate to Brexit any more.

The boats are a result of Brexit
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,142
    edited June 24

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/islands-that-are-shared-by-more-than-one-country.html
    On a foggy Fenland day, with the lantern of the cathedral rising above the silvery mist, the Isle of Ely is shared between the kingdom of England and the kingdom of Heaven

I think the same way about Salisbury cathedral (and particularly the spire).
    The tallest building in the world for thousands of years was the Great Pyramid which although impressive is just a pile of blocks.

Until Lincoln Cathedral was built.

That must have been quite a sight.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

This may or may not help anyone's betting.

Libdems are favs to win in 57 seats.
    SNP are favs to win in 18 seats.

Bookies' current o/u line for the Nats is 21.5. value on the underside? Not sure.

Thanks Paul.

The interesting thing about that LD figure is that is exactly the same as the buy price on the spreads.
    IPSOS is significantly lower on the LD figure than other models/MRPS. As an example they have the Tories holding Newbury - everyone else thinks it is going yellow. Torbay is another IPSOS hold, going yellow elsewhere.
    Ooh, goodie. Had a few quid on the Yellows to win Torbay. [Don't tell Marquee Mark.]
    Kevin will hang on like a limpet!
  • Options
    edited June 24

viewcode said:

Leon said:

“The next Prime Minister of Great Britain and Northern Ireland owns set after set of only two outfits; he says that he doesn’t dream, he doesn’t have a favourite novel or poem; he speaks about himself in the third person.”

https://x.com/pimlico_journal/status/1805186253718954416?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

Yawns are psychologically contagious. We don't need to actually see or hear someone do it, just think they are doing it
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,022
    Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Indeed. Some of the other PBers weren't as sensitive as they could have been about his concern over Brexit, to put it mildly. Unedifying.
    TBF while that was true, he was also obnoxious about it, and the nightmare scenarios he was dreading were never likely to occur.
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 1,003
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

The first of those is odd but something I can happily get on board with and indeed have moved towards as I've got older - when I find a clothing item I like, I tend to buy several of them. The problem is, of course, when clothing manufacturers - who are addicted to novelty - change their product.

I don't know that I have a favourite novel or poem. I don't think that's odd. I mean, if I was to take a day or so to try to list all the books or poems I'd ever read, I could probably rank them, but I don't have one to hand. And fiction isn't a big part of my life.

Not dreaming is odd indeed. Does anyone else here not dream? That strikes me as being so singular as worthy of study by a psychologist. I mean, I don't think I particularly benefit from my dreams, but I have them - it's part of the human condition. Part of the mammalian condition, I'd suggest.

Talking about yourself in the third person is also very odd, but affected odd. You can only really carry that off if you're a fictional sitcom character like the Fonz, or Terry out of Brooklyn 911.And SKS is neither of those.
    Not dreaming - I didn't dream for about 12 years.

Oddly enough I started dreaming again recently - still not often, but sometimes which is more than I was doing. Whether its change of diet, lifestyle, career or something else behind that I'm not sure.
    AFAIUI, it's actually quite likely that you and SKS did/do dream - you just don't wake up during your dreams. The only dreams you remember are the ones you wake during.
    I don't know whether I envy you or not. On one hand, dreams are sometimes entertaining. But waking up from a not-dream is a rare and pleasant experience which presumably you had/SKS has all the time. It can't be more than once a month I wake up having not been dreaming.
    I don't remember my dreams on waking either (which as you say I experience as "I don't dream"), except very occasionally (and even then I forget the details almost immediately). On the whole I'm glad of this, because on the few occasions I do remember something from a dream it's pretty confusing ("oh, wait, that's not something that actually happened"). I prefer my memory to only retain reality, not made up stuff, as far as possible...
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,582
    Scott_xP said:

He died in 2012
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,360
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

The first of those is odd but something I can happily get on board with and indeed have moved towards as I've got older - when I find a clothing item I like, I tend to buy several of them. The problem is, of course, when clothing manufacturers - who are addicted to novelty - change their product.

I don't know that I have a favourite novel or poem. I don't think that's odd. I mean, if I was to take a day or so to try to list all the books or poems I'd ever read, I could probably rank them, but I don't have one to hand. And fiction isn't a big part of my life.

Not dreaming is odd indeed. Does anyone else here not dream? That strikes me as being so singular as worthy of study by a psychologist. I mean, I don't think I particularly benefit from my dreams, but I have them - it's part of the human condition. Part of the mammalian condition, I'd suggest.

Talking about yourself in the third person is also very odd, but affected odd. You can only really carry that off if you're a fictional sitcom character like the Fonz, or Terry out of Brooklyn 911.And SKS is neither of those.

Oddly enough I started dreaming again recently - still not often, but sometimes which is more than I was doing. Whether its change of diet, lifestyle, career or something else behind that I'm not sure.
    AFAIUI, it's actually quite likely that you and SKS did/do dream - you just don't wake up during your dreams. The only dreams you remember are the ones you wake during.
    I don't know whether I envy you or not. On one hand, dreams are sometimes entertaining. But waking up from a not-dream is a rare and pleasant experience which presumably you had/SKS has all the time. It can't be more than once a month I wake up having not been dreaming.
    I just read that as "SKS dildo dream".

Note to self: Wear your reading glasses!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Yawns are psychologically contagious. We don't need to actually see or hear someone do it, just think they are doing it
    Uness they don't have empathy.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,117

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

How odd.
    I very seldom dream.
    I did have a dream the other night, and before that it must have been about six months.
    Really?! Pretty much every time I wake up I have been dreaming.
    I don't have an alarm clock - so I don't tend to be woken at arbitrary times - perhaps if you wake naturally you're more likely to be in the light sleep of dream-sleep. Come to think of it, when I am woken by external sources (e.g. children), it's more often dreamless.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

He died in 2012
    The son didn't
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,859
    kyf_100 said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

(A smartphone with no signal but with a solar charger would still be an instrument of magic, though.)

I mean, you can mostly see how it works, so it isn't magic. And it requires no other infrastructure.

Surely the only correct answer to the question of what to take on a trip to the medieval era is a 12 gauge, double barrel Remington...

https://youtu.be/GULItNlBvJc?feature=shared&t=139
    I know what that is without clicking on it

(clicks on it)

Yup

"Boom stick"

:)
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Surely the only correct answer to the question of what to take on a trip to the medieval era is...
    ...a time machine that can get you back. :)
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

He died in 2012
    The son didn't
    Sorry yes just reread and saw that
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,796
    Leon said:

Only until the battery ran flat.
    Finding a signal would be pretty tough, too.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 40,001
    felix said:

Just voted Conservative - as usual.

This is actually good to hear. Change and volatility is very necessary, and exciting too, but a life with all of its certainties removed would be unpleasant and hard to navigate.
  • Options

Leon said:

Although, in many respects, most smartphones now are dumb terminals with a camera.

Everything is in data centres. Wikipedia, music streaming, communication reliant on the network.

If you had a smartphone in 1372, and solar panels to charge it, you'd be able to: take photos, record videos, record audio, have a torch, measure time reasonably accurately, perform numerical calculations, act as a spirit level, and, um, that would be pretty much it.
    I suspect cheap light (the torch) would be worth a lot.

I remember reading something a while back that it's the cost of light that is as significant as anything else in human evolution https://www.statista.com/chart/10567/the-cost-of-light-through-the-ages/

One hour of light

1800 - $150
    1900 - $5
    2000 - 5c
    2020 - 0.5c
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

eek said:

I don't agree.

Reform surging means they are still enraged by "the forrin", but that doesn't equate to Brexit any more.

The boats are a result of Brexit
    How do you work that one out? The boats are because we clamped down hard on other routes, such as the lorries.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,564
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Only until the battery ran flat.
    Finding a signal would be pretty tough, too.
    To be a smart arse.

A single smartphone would of course be useless.

Network Effects.

• Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 1,003
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

How odd.
    I very seldom dream.
    I did have a dream the other night, and before that it must have been about six months.
    Really?! Pretty much every time I wake up I have been dreaming.
    I don't have an alarm clock - so I don't tend to be woken at arbitrary times - perhaps if you wake naturally you're more likely to be in the light sleep of dream-sleep. Come to think of it, when I am woken by external sources (e.g. children), it's more often dreamless.
    I also wake up naturally without an alarm clock, so I don't think that's the only reason for not remembering dreams. I do wonder whether the fact I don't have much visual memory (I'm quite close to the "aphantasic" end of the spectrum on that) contributes to not remembering I've been dreaming.
  • Options
    johntjohnt Posts: 140
    eek said:

I suspect that the EU might think that support for Brexit dropping from 52% to 20% is a reasonably clear indication that the people of the UK have accepted that it is a failure. I do not expect it to happen but there is an interesting dynamic. If the Tories do genuinely want to be seen as a party of the young again they may take the sensible approach and become a party of re-join for 2029. It is the only way they could ever give themselves a chance of a quick return to power. Personally I suspect that their right wing is too powerful and they will just wither and die as an increasingly irrelevant and bitter party of the aging.
  • Options
    edited June 24
    Still trying to work out why Farage decided to possibly knock 2-3% off Reform's vote share with his Putin comments. Maybe he thought it would solidify the party's support with the remainder.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,172
    Mr. Leon, aye, the average for clothes was just two complete outfits as well.

I think peasants suffering the Black Death would be astonished by vaccines, and even more astonished by the movement against them.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,943
    eek said:

SKS must be delighted. Brexit-haters who eg hate Reeves' comments over the weekend don't know whether to vote Cons or Reform.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,711
    eek said:

Leon said:

I remember reading something a while back that it's the cost of light that is as significant as anything else in human evolution https://www.statista.com/chart/10567/the-cost-of-light-through-the-ages/

One hour of light

1800 - $150
    1900 - $5
    2000 - 5c
    2020 - 0.5c
    As soon as the electricity goes out everyone does reach for the light from their smartphone.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 40,001
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Yes I agree. First two are just quirks (I’m similar on clothes I like now)

But the last two are decidedly strange, and a little unsettling
    Very odd. And more than enough to prevent you voting Labour, I'd have thought.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Still trying to work out why Farage decided to possibly knock 2-3% off Reform's vote share with his Putin comments. Maybe he thought it would solidify the party's support with the remainder.

I don't think it was intentional - more the mask slipped.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,373
    Leon said:

The very top leadership calibre people are an odd bunch. One thing that is very characteristic of them is that despite their amazing abilities and width of experience they almost never write interesting or lasting books. I suspect they mostly don't read them either.

The last time Labour made a leader of a proper intellectual it was a disaster (Foot). The last PMs who were remotely normal were Home and Callaghan. Both are famous for not winning general elections.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,172
    Mr. eek, it's appalling of you to say Farage's mask slipped.

It's 'maskirovka'.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

The very top leadership calibre people are an odd bunch. One thing that is very characteristic of them is that despite their amazing abilities and width of experience they almost never write interesting or lasting books. I suspect they mostly don't read them either.

The last time Labour made a leader of a proper intellectual it was a disaster (Foot). The last PMs who were remotely normal were Home and Callaghan. Both are famous for not winning general elections.
    Brown is a book maniac.

• Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,871

What are the Northern Irish seats looking like?

It looks as if the Lib Dems really are within cooee of coming second, and any Alliance MPs might be critical, since there’s potential to share the whip in the Commons as they do already in the Lords.

I’m no expert. Talk seems to be of 1-3 Alliance MPs, but more likely the former than the latter. NI seats don’t change hands that often! The DUP are obviously not having a good time and the TUV standing in most seats harms them further.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,225
    eek said:

Andy_JS said:

The man is just a traitor to Western traditions and culture. They can't help their attacks. Trump and Corbyn are the same.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,181
    edited June 24
    PM says he is not being investigated over betting scandal - as Tories launch own probe

Rishi Sunak has been speaking to journalists on the campaign trail this lunchtime.

He reveals the Conservatives are conducting their own investigation into the betting allegations surrounding the party.

But Mr Sunak says he is not aware of any further candidates being looked into than those who were named last week - and says he himself is not being investigated.

The prime minister confirms he has never placed a bet on politics.

It comes as the Gambling Commission conducts an investigation into several bets placed on the date of the general election.

Four Tory candidates and officials are being investigated - the last one named was the party's chief data officer, Nick Mason.

Mr Sunak has not been drawn on that investigation, saying it's "independent of government" and "independent of me".

"I don't have details of their investigation," he adds.

The Tories "will act on any relevant findings or information" from their own inquiry and "pass it on to the Gambling Commission".

https://news.sky.com/story/election-2024-sunak-starmer-conservatives-labour-reform-lib-dem-12593360
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Surely better than the tripe we get from some other posters
  • Options

Only because he doesn't know how

Never been in a bookies

Never watched a race
  • Options
    NEW: Nigel Farage counters Boris Johnson's criticism of his Putin Ukraine comments by unveiling a huge i front page suggesting Boris made a similar argument back in 2016.

Farage: "Perhaps it’s Boris Johnson who is morally repugnant, not me"

https://x.com/benrileysmith/status/1805201208409284956/photo/1
  • Options
    eek said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm no longer sure the LDs won't poll more votes than Reform, they could both get around 15%, with the LDs doing better than the polls due to tactical voting.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Never been in a bookies

Never watched a race
    He knows how to place a bet on the spreads.
  • Options

NEW: Nigel Farage counters Boris Johnson's criticism of his Putin Ukraine comments by unveiling a huge i front page suggesting Boris made a similar argument back in 2016.

Aren't Red Wall fans of Johnson, Farage's core demographic vote?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,425

PM says he is not being investigated over betting scandal - as Tories launch own probe

Rishi Sunak has been speaking to journalists on the campaign trail this lunchtime.

He reveals the Conservatives are conducting their own investigation into the betting allegations surrounding the party.

But Mr Sunak says he is not aware of any further candidates being looked into than those who were named last week - and says he himself is not being investigated.

It comes as the Gambling Commission conducts an investigation into several bets placed on the date of the general election.

Four Tory candidates and officials are being investigated - the last one named was the party's chief data officer, Nick Mason.

Mr Sunak has not been drawn on that investigation, saying it's "independent of government" and "independent of me".

The Tories "will act on any relevant findings or information" from their own inquiry and "pass it on to the Gambling Commission".

https://news.sky.com/story/election-2024-sunak-starmer-conservatives-labour-reform-lib-dem-12593360

I can sort of see that the Piers Morgan Rwanda thing doesn't count, but it's a bit of an edge case.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Never been in a bookies

Never watched a race
    Don't worry, I'm sure Con Central Office will have scheduled a campaign stop at a bookies for this afternoon.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c2eeegdzr3do

Poor Princess Anne.

I've long regarded her as one of the least absurd royals of her generation.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Surely better than the tripe we get from some other posters
    You've never posted any tripe?
    We all post tripe at some point or other. I doubt you're that perfect.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,539
    Scott_xP said:

Had John Maples to speak at Warwick Uni when I was there, a decent Tory MP of the old school
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,771

I can sort of see that the Piers Morgan Rwanda thing doesn't count, but it's a bit of an edge case.
    Sending Piers Morgan to Rwanda could be worth a point or two in the polls.
  • Options

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c2eeegdzr3do

Poor Princess Anne.

I've long regarded her as one of the least absurd royals of her generation.

Sounds awful, the BristoI Royal Infirmary? Crikey. I hope they can move her soon! :D
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Never been in a bookies

Never watched a race
    He knows how to place a bet on the spreads.
    And doesn't like to talk about it
  • Options
    edited June 24
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Had John Maples to speak at Warwick Uni when I was there, a decent Tory MP of the old school
    Unlike his replacement
  • Options
    CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 420
    johnt said:

eek said:

I suspect that the EU might think that support for Brexit dropping from 52% to 20% is a reasonably clear indication that the people of the UK have accepted that it is a failure. I do not expect it to happen but there is an interesting dynamic. If the Tories do genuinely want to be seen as a party of the young again they may take the sensible approach and become a party of re-join for 2029. It is the only way they could ever give themselves a chance of a quick return to power. Personally I suspect that their right wing is too powerful and they will just wither and die as an increasingly irrelevant and bitter party of the aging.
    The brexit voting block is over 70. By 2024 and definitely by 2034 they will have been thinned out drastically. Look at the statista brexit poll - is have been dropping remoselessly for years. Bit by bit. Omnisis has a 61/39 split in favour of rejoin. Yougov shows only 12% strongly oppose SM now. Brexiteers had their shot, but politics is a one way street. Time marches on and it never goes back.... ever. Brexit is a broken brand in politics.

I think Labour's plan has been for SM in a second labour term all along and they are sticking with that. First term is a prep for that... as close as possible without actually joining the sm.

Furthermore, I see Reform as a retreat, a Plan B for the populist right. The original plan was for the populists to inherit the entire conservative brand. This is what bj's 2019 intake of MPs was all about... and it failed spectacularly.

I think it is hilarious to see the expresserati and reform types complain about the conservatives. Arch brexiteers were put in hight office again and again and they all made a pigs ear of it every time. Every one of them. It was the erg and reform leaning MPs who disrupted governance again and again. They spend most of their time trying to retcon the immediate past to save face, that they have no time to think about what comes next.

There is no doubt: reform is a monument to the failure of the populist right to usurp the conservatives. They simply didn't have the skill or the numbers Sure their growth looks impressive, but they started from 2% and gave name to a declining and demoralised segment of voters who were always there (a bit like the british growth rates coming out of covid... sure but we also had the biggest economic collapse hahahaha in absolute numbers it was a catastrophe).

These voters didn't spring out of nothing. And if you want to see how little brexiteers have to offer: ask them what needs to be done to brexit so it becomes a true brexit... ask them why their budget makes corbyn and truss look like the epitome of sanity. Ask them how they will man the NHS to get rid of those waiting lists in 2 years .....and they will have nothing... . Their project is spent.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

kyf_100 said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Surely the only correct answer to the question of what to take on a trip to the medieval era is...
    And a mega pack of antibiotics
  • Options

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

How odd.
    I very seldom dream.
    Everyone dreams every night. It’s just that we vary in whether we remember the dreams.
  • Options
    CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 420
    Reform are not "surging" ... they are just putting a new name to a declining segment of voters that were always already there.
  • Options
    edited June 24
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

@estwebber
    Exc: Will Tanner, Sunak’s deputy chief of staff, tells activists he is in danger of losing Bury St Edmunds

In a text, he says poll out today shows Cons on 32.5%, Labour on 32.7%, and Reform on 20.5%

He adds "please protect this, as sent to me privately"

https://x.com/estwebber/status/1805182708517077102

Bury St Edmunds is very very close according to all the MRPs.
    As it should be given we are heading for a 1997 landslide defeat for the Tories at best and in 1997 the Tory majority in Bury St Edmunds was just 368.

I think Tanner will hold on though, he has some connections to the area at least unlike Holden in Basildon and Billericay who I think will lose, his family are Suffolk farmers. So while Labour probably edge it in the town itself Tanner should win enough of the rural part of the constituency and villages to win it overall
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,802
    I’m feeling Poll deprived

Admittedly I am slightly bored on a train down to the South-west and there’s nothing to moan about. It’s on time and air-conditioned. Most annoying as there’s nothing a Brit likes more than a damn good whinge.

;)
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,423

Odd that Nigel is majoring on what silly old discredited Boris did or didn't say years ago. I get the impression Nigel has been seriously stung by the Putin stuff.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Admittedly I am slightly bored on a train down to the South-west and there’s nothing to moan about. It’s on time and air-conditioned. Most annoying as there’s nothing a Brit likes more than a damn good whinge.

;)

Or a complete ticket refund ;)
  • Options
    TimS said:

viewcode said:

kyf_100 said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Introducing antibiotics centuries earlier, adding to the selective pressure on bacteria, causes a microbial resistance apocalypse, meaning you died before you were sent back...

Either (a) Time paradox
    (b) Timey-Wimey Dr Who wave your hands...
  • Options
    Anyway back to that poll shortage.

The last data ended on 21st June and it’s now 3 days later. Scandal.

Anyone know when we can expect one?

All levity aside, if the tories are going to do any narrowing I’d expect two moments for it to happen. One is right now, 10 days out. The other is in the final 48-hours.
  • Options
    DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 334

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

These Russian Trolls are getting better at disguise
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

@estwebber
    Exc: Will Tanner, Sunak’s deputy chief of staff, tells activists he is in danger of losing Bury St Edmunds

In a text, he says poll out today shows Cons on 32.5%, Labour on 32.7%, and Reform on 20.5%

As it should be given we are heading for a 1997 landslide defeat for the Tories at best and in 1997 the Tory majority in Bury St Edmunds was just 368.

I think Tanner will hold on though, he has some connections to the area at least unlike Holden in Basildon and Billericay who I think will lose, his family are Suffolk farmers. So while Labour probably edge it in the city itself Tanner should win enough of the rural part of the constituency to win it overall
    Bury isn't a city, its a town, a quite small one
  • Options
    Heathener said:

All levity aside, if the tories are going to do any narrowing I’d expect two moments for it to happen. One is right now, 10 days out. The other is in the final 48-hours.

I'm not convinced we will see any narrowing. If I was hankering after a Tory win (or even just narrow defeat) I think I'd be pinning all my hopes on the polls being wrong. I think they are likely understating the Tory vote a bit and overstating Reform. But by nowhere near enough to prevent the landslide that's coming.
  • Options

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

These Russian Trolls are getting better at disguise
    Comrade, I've put in the hard yards, have always backed vaccines, and talked about cricket. Only now have I been activated... Tovarich
  • Options
    Heathener said:

JL Partners this afternoon, Redfield and Deltapoll later, Focaldata MRP at 3pm
  • Options
    edited June 24
    Heathener said:

;)

The Newbury or Salisbury line? I do like the Kennet and Avon Canal stretch of the former.
  • Options
    edited June 24

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

@Savanta_UK
    🚨NEW London Westminster voting intention for
    @QMUL

📈33 point Labour lead

🌹Lab 55 (+2)
    🌳Con 22 (-1)
    🔶LD 13 (-3)
    ➡️Reform 8 (=)
    🌍Green 5 (+1)

1,022 Londoners, 10-18 June

(change vs 26-30 April)

https://x.com/Savanta_UK/status/1805182351233679861

That's a very different pattern from the rest of the country given it's movement since April. Reform not up at all, barely any movement in Conservative. It does suggest the Tories will do relatively much better in London than elsewhere.
    It's also hard to see Tories on 19% nationally if on 22% in London imo, 22% London would be more in line with 25% nationally would be the assumption I worked from.
    They'd hold 8 to 12 on that polling in London
    Depends. The typical Tory voter for Sunak is much posher, more educated and wealthier and higher earning on average than the average Conservative voter for Boris. Many working class Leavers and a fair number of pensioners who voted for Boris are now voting Reform. You get far more of the former in London and far more of the latter outside London.

Overall Savanta has the Tory + Reform vote still on 35% UK wide ie still ahead of the 30% Tory + Reform vote it has in London today. London is therefore better for the Tories now but still worse for the right overall than the rest of the UK
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,796
    Tory pledge to review pylons could lead to energy bill hike, say experts
    Climate experts and ministers say burying electricity cables could cost 10 times more than pylons
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/24/tory-pledge-review-pylons-energy-bill-hike-experts
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,340
    Dungaree, or not dungaree, that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The singlets and ballgowns of outrageous fashion,
    Or to take arms against a sea of trappings
    And by opposing end them. Two ties — two shirts,
    No more; and buy one suit to say we end
    The sweatshirt and the thousand natural socks
    That flesh is Keir to: 'tis a constumation
    Devoutly to be wish'd. Two ties, two shirts;
    To sleep, no chance to dream — ay, there's the rub:
    For in that sleep of dress what tweeds may come,
    When we have cuffled off this mortal collar,
    Must give us purse — there's the respect
    That makes a panoply of so long scarf.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,805
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

@estwebber

I think Tanner will hold on though, he has some connections to the area at least unlike Holden in Basildon and Billericay who I think will lose, his family are Suffolk farmers. So while Labour probably edge it in the town itself Tanner should win enough of the rural part of the constituency and villages to win it overall
    But if there are around 75,000 electors, how many of them does he have connections with?
  • Options
    edited June 24
    Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

;)

The Newbury or Salisbury line? I do like the Kennet and Avon Canal stretch of the former.
    Salisbury. I agree with you about the other one, which is lovely. x
  • Options
    edited June 24
    Nigelb said:

Climate experts and ministers say burying electricity cables could cost 10 times more than pylons
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/24/tory-pledge-review-pylons-energy-bill-hike-experts

There is no could about it - I've seen the costs of burying cables in the Dales - 10 times is cheap...

And it's like burying HS2 - it doesn't help anyone really...
  • Options

Heathener said:

Brill. Thank you :)
  • Options
    edited June 24
    ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

@estwebber

But if there are around 75,000 electors, how many of them does he have connections with?
    His family heritage is all over his literature too. I have met him, he campaigned in Epping in the locals, is bright and personable with a young family and the type of Tory MP we need in opposition to rebuild and hold the Starmer government to account so I hope he wins
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,783

Leon said:

One of my driving daydreams is imagining Brunel (*) suddenly appears in the car with me as I'm driving, and imagining the reaction to everything in the car - and he sees outside.

The thing is, Btunel would probably come to terms with it fairly easily. He would understand steam engines to a certain degree, and the structures he sees. Electricity was known to him, as was the telegraph. What would he think of the radio, let alone what they say on it? Lorries? What happens if he looked into the sky and saw a plane, or a helicopter?

But if you go further back in history, it'd be harder for people to come to terms with what they see and experience.

(*) Sometimes other people, e.g. Hooke.
    Flying machines have been speculated about for centuries.

People had been trying to build powered road vehicles since before Brunel.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Reasons to bury cables - less likely to be damaged by wind, trees falling on them, idiots with tall machinery and because they are a massive eyesore.

Reasons not too - cost, and harder to repair when/if they fail.
  • Options

TimS said:

viewcode said:

kyf_100 said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Introducing antibiotics centuries earlier, adding to the selective pressure on bacteria, causes a microbial resistance apocalypse, meaning you died before you were sent back...

Either (a) Time paradox
    (b) Timey-Wimey Dr Who wave your hands...
    Or conversely a version of you was born that couldn't time travel. Hawking's Chronology Protection Conjecture: time travel is impossible because the minute it happens it writes itself out of existence.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Brill. Thank you :)
    Just pace yourself. Its a long campaign, take it easy. Read one, digest then take a break.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Ben Gartside
    @BenGartside
    ·
    16h
    Scoop: HS2 cancellation will mean fares increase between London and the north to reduce travellers amid capacity problems.

There will be 8% fewer seats on future trains after the high-speed line was scrapped, and prices are set to go up to reduce demand

https://x.com/BenGartside/status/1804950585919091180

The plan is working
    Scrapping the bits of HS2 between Lichfield and Crewe and between Birmingham Internstional and Trent Junction was madness.

The cheapest, least controversial bits to build and huge capacity providers (by bypassing the two track bottleneck between Colwich and Stafford and bypassing the southern end of the Midland Main Line which is at capacity.

So now six tracks will converge just south of Colwich (four trent valley and two HS2) and turn into two tracks to Stafford and a branch to Stoke (with a flat, non grade separated junction at Colwich too).
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

'Since then, however, the Tories have faced mounting pressure from rural voters to abandon their commitment to building new pylons, and some candidates are now actively campaigning against them in their own constituencies.

They include Andrew Bowie, who was removed from his post as energy minister after it emerged he had campaigned against pylons in his own constituency. Bowie is now campaigning heavily in his West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine seat against what he calls “monster pylons”.'

That is presumably the SSEN Kintore-Tealing line which he has complained about - it's part of the 400kV East Coast line improvements.

https://www.andrewbowie.org.uk/news/andrew-vows-continue-fight-against-monster-pylons

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-67571476
  • Options

Nigel doing a spot of campaigning from his bus before going to Henley looking at that jacket!
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 462

eek said:

Leon said:

One hour of light

1800 - $150
    1900 - $5
    2000 - 5c
    2020 - 0.5c
    As soon as the electricity goes out everyone does reach for the light from their smartphone.
    The arrival of cheap electric light changed the way we sleep. We're primed to sleep (much) longer in Winter than in Summer, but that changed with the arrival of electric light. It's one theory behind Seasonal Adjustment Disorder. And apparently it was very common to get up for a couple of hours in the night if you were sleeping for a long time.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

...Will Tanner, Sunak’s deputy chief of staff...

If he isn't played by Rory Kinnear, I shall be vexed. Vexed, I tell thee. :)
  • Options
    What manifestos are we still waiting on? The DUP still haven’t released theirs. Anyone else of note?
  • Options
    Peter Hitchens: "Yes, it was a lawless putsch. My inch-by-inch and line-by-line examination of the illegal overthrow of Ukraine's legitimate President in 2014 (swiftly condoned, to their lasting shame, by the Western democracies)". [Plus link to an article he wrote on the subject in April 23

https://x.com/ClarkeMicah/status/1805178596496916957?t=FbkrYEX9BLIRAmfyfRtbcg&s=19
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

@estwebber

I think Tanner will hold on though, he has some connections to the area at least unlike Holden in Basildon and Billericay who I think will lose, his family are Suffolk farmers. So while Labour probably edge it in the city itself Tanner should win enough of the rural part of the constituency to win it overall
    Bury isn't a city, its a town, a quite small one
    It should be, one of only 3 towns in the UK with a cathedral that does not have city status and it has an old Abbey as well.

Though you are right, apologies
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,656

Odd that Nigel is majoring on what silly old discredited Boris did or didn't say years ago. I get the impression Nigel has been seriously stung by the Putin stuff.
    It reminds everyone that Farage has some very very dodgy friends. It has really cut through and may have burst quite a lot of the RefUk bubble.
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 461
    edited June 24
    Here’s a question on the EU:

A lot of ppl think Rejoin is very difficult because the process officially entails adopting the Euro, Schengen, etc - things that even many Rejoiners don’t want.

But here’s the thing. If we asked the EU for a return to the 2015 status quo ante…the worst they could do is say no?

I understand that it wouldn’t be able to happen overnight. But if it would be a net GDP benefit to both the UK and the EU… could they not acquiesce? Or agree to something close to it, eventually?

Some would say “The EU would only allow the UK back in under the same terms as everyone else” because if it let us pick and choose, then other countries would demand the same.

But isn’t this partially negated by the ability of the EU to say to any country who wants to leave in the future, “Well look, the UK tried to leave, they regretted it, so much that we both went back to how things were before.”

I’ve long been a believer that 90% of Brexiteers cared predominantly about immigration - yes, austerity/a desire for levelling up etc might have motivated voters but I imagine many of those would probably prefer to be back in the EU now.

I don’t know whether Labour’s plan for closer integration basically gets us eventually to some kind of ‘rejoining in all but name’ which might satisfy people enough on both sides.

I think if the Lib Dems are the official opposition it could certainly accelerate calls to outright rejoin. Electorally it seems lucrative way to try and eat into the Labour vote and differentiate them from Starmer’s Govt.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ClippP said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

@estwebber

His family heritage is all over his literature too. I have met him, he campaigned in Epping in the locals, is bright and personable with a young family and the type of Tory MP we need in opposition to rebuild and hold the Starmer government to account so I hope he wins
    Yes he’s an interesting chap. Still pretty young so quite precocious when you look at what he’s already done. I met him at a dinner his think tank hosted with Penny Mordaunt a couple of years ago and exchanged a few emails since on tax policy. Got the sense he’s broadly in the Nick Timothy school of Tories.
  • Options

The supposed Daily Mail hit story quoting Kremlin Sources dosent seem to have materialised in todays edition.