Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How to stem the rise of the far right – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,838
edited June 23 in General
imageHow to stem the rise of the far right – politicalbetting.com

What unites:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,111
    Thank's MaxH.

The photo choice was mine alone.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,005
    Second behind the swift-shoed TSE
  • Options
    FPT

When parliament reconvenes he's going to get his supporters to protest outside parliament isn't he?

🚨 ELECTION INTERFERENCE ALERT 🚨

Today's Mail on Sunday claimed President Zelensky said that I was personally infected with Putinism. This is totally untrue and I have instructed Carter Ruck to deal with it.

Tomorrow’s Daily Mail are so desperate to smear Reform that they have now contacted the Russian Foreign Ministry and goaded them into a supposed quote from someone in Sergey Lavrov’s office calling me an ‘ally’.

That a UK newspaper group is actively collaborating with the Kremlin to protect their dying Conservative party is an absolute scandal. The British people will see through this act of utter desperation.

https://x.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1804921708073144741
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,735

FPT

When parliament reconvenes he's going to get his supporters to protest outside parliament isn't he?

Today's Mail on Sunday claimed President Zelensky said that I was personally infected with Putinism. This is totally untrue and I have instructed Carter Ruck to deal with it.

Tomorrow’s Daily Mail are so desperate to smear Reform that they have now contacted the Russian Foreign Ministry and goaded them into a supposed quote from someone in Sergey Lavrov’s office calling me an ‘ally’.

That a UK newspaper group is actively collaborating with the Kremlin to protect their dying Conservative party is an absolute scandal. The British people will see through this act of utter desperation.

Yes.

Chilling.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,537
    edited June 23
    Rate The Good Looks of Sir Keir Starmer is a pound shop Guess the Weight of Boris Johnson.

I mean, what sort of dark place has PB gone into?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,293

FPT

Zinoviev tactics being used against Reform. :)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,321

FPT

The way it reads, it sounds like he's instructed Carter Ruck to deal with Zelensky. Which I would wish them luck with!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,395
    Heathener said:

FPT

Yes.

Chilling.
    Do you think ? Carter Ruck have taken instruction from far worse
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,168

FPT

They don't like it up them Captain Mainwaring!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,425

FPT

It's a sign he has screwed up and knows it.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,549
    Thanks Max H, an excellent read. I am also concerned about what might happen in 2029.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,668

FPT

The Mail interfering in an election?
    Whatever next?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,888
    I just LITERALLY drove over an ISTHMUS

Has any other PBer been over an ISTHMUS today?

It’s quite a rare thing. Last time for me was the spring of 2022 when I went over the ISTHMUS of Corinth
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,218

Rate The Good Looks of Sir Keir Starmer is a pound shop Guess the Weight of Boris Johnson.

I've found the most scarily surreal contribution for you.

TimS said:

On the topic of looks in our PMs.

Important, I think. For our international reputation.

Starmer would be the best looking PM since, well, when exactly? Gladstone? Douglas Home? Certainly better looking than any in my lifetime.

The best looking major party leader since Clegg (though I did like that Plaid leader in 2019).

Followed in the recent PM looks stakes by Liz Truss, then Rishi (he’s pretty presentable), then a big gap before you reach, whom? Gordon Brown I reckon.

But none of them hold a candle to Macron. Or Obama. Or Zelenskyy. Or, though I hate to say it, Meloni. Different league entirely.

Thatcher was objectively good looking in her pomp. It was said that she controlled the party because they fancied her - they probably all had nannie fantasies.

I think John Major wasn't terrible looking. Many liked Tony.

I don’t think Keir Starmer is a good looking man, but he does have a very respectable shock of hair. His wife is quite beautiful.

Truss was cute - awfully awkward with it though.

Antony Eden was quite the tasty dish. Even with the proto-Tom Selleck moustache.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,650
    I like the way he's treating "personally infected" like it's a genuine virus.
  • Options

Keir Starmer is lovely when he smiles. Definitely hot. Too severe when he doesn’t.

The piccie from the Taylor Swift concert with Victoria was brilliant on every level. Better even than John Major at B&Q.

• Options
    Heathener said:

Keir Starmer is lovely when he smiles. Definitely hot. Too severe when he doesn’t.

The piccie from the Taylor Swift concert with Victoria was brilliant on every level. Better even than John Major at B&Q.

p.s. Mind you, so is Victoria!
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,408

FPT

Alternatively, he wasn't going to break the mould. He might still win in Clacton, but he isn't going to have enough Reform MPs for the Conservative takeover thing to work out.

This way, it's Not His Fault. He would have been brilliant if it hadn't been for those meddling kids Daily Mail hacks. So his ego is intact and the grift can continue.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,060
    I look forward to see how the Courts deal with Zelensky :D

As for Farage, if he wants to sort Zelenksy out, I am sure there are flights to Kyiv
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,329

As for Farage, if he wants to sort Zelenksy out, I am sure there are flights to Kyiv

He has immunity, so I assume he wants to sue the newspaper for spreading what he thinks is a falsehood?
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 462
    Leon said:

I just LITERALLY drove over an ISTHMUS

Has any other PBer been over an ISTHMUS today?

It’s quite a rare thing. Last time for me was the spring of 2022 when I went over the ISTHMUS of Corinth

I've driven down the isthmus of Corinth. The problem is that the canal is so narrow that you idly look over the bridge expecting to see a local railway or minor road and you think OMFG and nearly crash.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,173
    edited June 23
    RobD said:

He has immunity, so I assume he wants to sue the newspaper for spreading what he thinks is a falsehood?
    What falsehood - all the Mail has done is report Zelenksy's response to what Farage said on Friday...

And given the amount of money Farage took from Russia Today it's hardly surprising that he supports Russia...
  • Options

FPT

Do you think? I really don't think so at all.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,978
    Kudos to @Luckyguy1983 for noting Anthony Eden’s good looks. A decent call. Thatcher? No.

Tories should consider this angle when choosing their new leader. Best of the current crop probably Tugendhat. Or Priti.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,451
    Spent a couple of hours at the local hustings this afternoon. PA system was a bit rubbish, but the ‘site owner’, the parish priest, assured me that the acoustics at the site, the parish church, were bad.
    However, grading. Con: (P.Patel) slick, benefiting from experience. V. little applause. Green: competent, coherent. Indie: trying hard, but out of her depth. LibDem: started badly but rapidly improved. Neck and neck with Green. Reform: coherent until he started talking about climate change. Labour: out of her depth on local issues, badly briefed.
    My two non Tory friends and I were most disappointed in her.
    Conclusion: Tory hold.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,329
    eek said:

RobD said:

What falsehood - all the Mail has done is report Zelenksy's response to what Farage said on Friday...
    I don't know, but it seems like an odd thing to write if that's the case!
  • Options
    Re Header. I think @maxh that there're quite a lot of gaps in what you say. Let's take each of the points in turn.

1. If you can generalise then it's 'not in my back yard' or 'too fast'. The British are generally very welcoming and embracing of foreign cultures.

2. A three-day working week won't work until a four-day working week does.

3. Manila isn't our problem.

4. Bad parenting has always been around

5. Drugs are always bad. As I post this I'm conscious that there's some alcohol in the mix, and if I reflect then I'd prefer that it wasn't there.

The far right is about freedom, and who's to argue with that. I think you've somewhat mistaken quite what that entails. But don't worry the far right have forgotten about the freedom bit and will have you arrested soon!
  • Options
    I am the best looking Horse on PoliticalBetting
  • Options

FPT

It's quite funny.

A fellow political observer reminded me today of this story from 2016.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3387318/Nigel-Farage-s-claim-car-wheels-sabotaged-assassination-attempt-France-denied-prosecutors-mechanic-checked-Volvo.html

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jan/04/wheels-fall-off-farage-assassination-plot-story-recall-revelation
  • Options

I like the way he's treating "personally infected" like it's a genuine virus.

Perhaps he should have been vaccinated...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,767
    An excellent header. I would take issue with the “neo-liberalism” label, though. Like “woke” it has just become a swear word for “what I don’t like”.

For example, many self proclaimed “anti-neo-liberals” advocate open borders. Others want population *reduction*.

That aside, I would say that the issue is trying to claim that “Some issues are beyond debate - you *must* shut up”.

The problem there is that the modern doctrine of democracy is that “The People Are Sovereign”. And, as we know “Must is not a word to be used to Princes Sovereigns”.

I can hear the pain from some here. “X is a moral and ethical issue. You cannot let the people decide.”

You have two choices - either you deny democracy. And that leads to the rise of the populists. Or you admit the issues and find different solutions.
  • Options

FPT

Alternatively, he wasn't going to break the mould. He might still win in Clacton, but he isn't going to have enough Reform MPs for the Conservative takeover thing to work out.

This way, it's Not His Fault. He would have been brilliant if it hadn't been for those meddling kids Daily Mail hacks. So his ego is intact and the grift can continue.
    He will have lost momentum because of the Putin statement. He has made a play which misjudges the views of most people in the UK. I cant see many Con voters having a pro Putin view so up goes a barrier to a reverse takeover. he may moan about Sunak and DDay but Im pretty sure we have boots on the ground Ukraine atm so he's stabbing them in the back in what he says. An unforced error and he's suffering for it.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Kudos to @Luckyguy1983 for noting Anthony Eden’s good looks. A decent call. Thatcher? No.

Tories should consider this angle when choosing their new leader. Best of the current crop probably Tugendhat. Or Priti.

You're thinking politically.

Priti Patel and Penny Deneuve would be very credible in the good looking stakes.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,090
    Omnium said:

Re Header. I think @maxh that there're quite a lot of gaps in what you say. Let's take each of the points in turn.

1. If you can generalise then it's 'not in my back yard' or 'too fast'. The British are generally very welcoming and embracing of foreign cultures.

5. Drugs are always bad. As I post this I'm conscious that there's some alcohol in the mix, and if I reflect then I'd prefer that it wasn't there.

The far right is about freedom, and who's to argue with that. I think you've somewhat mistaken quite what that entails. But don't worry the far right have forgotten about the freedom bit and will have you arrested soon!

No, the far right isn't about "freedom", it is about "control", as in "control our borders".
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,057
    edited June 23

And I the handsomest seal
  • Options

TimS said:

Priti Patel and Penny Deneuve would be very credible in the good looking stakes.
    Penny, no. Too bouffant
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,628
    RobD said:

Thanks for the header, Max!

Brilliant header, provocative, well written and worthy of further consideration. Hopefully the first of many.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,130

There's neigh doubt about that one.
  • Options
    edited June 23
    Pulpstar said:

Heathener said:

FPT

Yes.

Chilling.
    Do you think ? Carter Ruck have taken instruction from far worse
    I meant @TSE ’s comment 'When parliament reconvenes he's going to get his supporters to protest outside parliament isn't he?’ as a reflection on the story x
  • Options

FPT

Do you think? I really don't think so at all.
    Anyone instructing Carter Fuck is guilty as charged.

It’s a rough rule of thumb but if you used it for betting, you’d come out way, way ahead.

Look at their list of illustrious clients.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,668
    RobD said:

The Mail spreading falsehoods?
    Whatever next?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

And of course I am rather Foxy

(Though better still about 3 decades ago. Sigh)
  • Options

He could take Little Tommy Ten Names with him as his minder.
  • Options

TimS said:

Whilst you are thinking like a man ;)

• Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,090
    TimS said:

Not Penny?
  • Options
    So why is Marine Le Pen doing a Nazi salute in the picture?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,207
    Evening all :)

An interesting piece @maxh though I think what you call neo-liberalism has been an integral part of capitalism since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution.

Cheap labour and cheap resources have driven economic growth for the last 300 years with technological innovation providing more of both when required. We are very often simply economic drones whose reason to exist is work, consumption, sleep and repeat. That is tied in to the fundamental that is the capitalist offering - if you work hard and earn money you can build a better life for yourself and your family. It's that which encourages millions of people to move whether within countries or across continents or even across the world itself.

Money talks, men (and women) walk as someone once put it and whether it's from the field to the factory or from the north of England to the south east people will always go where the money is. Would people for example work in Dubai or Bahrain if it wasn't full of oil money?

With cheap labour comes the need for cheap resources whether it be oil, silver or even water in the future. Economic and foreign policy will overlap when it comes to resources and the challenge of climate change is part of that.

It may be future technological innovation will change that dynamic but the current system works well for large corporations and businesses and it's always been my thought one day business will go into government and government will go out of business.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,738

FPT

With all due respect (however much that might be) to Carter Ruck, and acknowledging that everyone is entitled to representation, they do appear to have some remarkable arseholes as clients.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,408

What's French for Occam's Razor?
  • Options
    Didn’t OGH have a theory that bald men lose votes? Even follicle challenge can cause problems: Neil Kinnock, IDS, William Hague the Older.

Men need hair to win

(And women shouldn’t be too bouffant: PM-not-4-PM take note)
  • Options

Omnium said:

No, the far right isn't about "freedom", it is about "control", as in "control our borders".
    You have to distinguish argument from fact. The whole point of the far right is freedom - freedom for their citizens to do what they like. Expand, expand, Joy, Joy!

The actuality becomes a very repressive regime.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Was this you, trying to take up rowing?

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,527
    Well done to @maxh on a first header.

Always interesting to read a new voice on matters political.

• Options
    edited June 23
    I love this. Max H posts a brilliant cerebral thread, full of contentious connections but well worthy of debate.

And we’re discussing whether politicians are good looking :smiley:

Got to love this site. Almost human.

p.s. Don’t take offence @MaxPB - great thread which I’m sure peeps will return to in the run up to 2029, 2034, 2039 … ;) xx

• Options

DougSeal said:

Yet another Ed Davey stunt.
  • Options

This time next week I shall be in France watching horrified frenchies bewailing the depths to which their country is plunging,

Ive brought a crate of Nyetimber out to enjoy it.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,549

She's a fan of Paolo Di Canio?

• Options

FPT

He will have lost momentum because of the Putin statement. He has made a play which misjudges the views of most people in the UK. I cant see many Con voters having a pro Putin view so up goes a barrier to a reverse takeover. he may moan about Sunak and DDay but Im pretty sure we have boots on the ground Ukraine atm so he's stabbing them in the back in what he says. An unforced error and he's suffering for it.
    If he wants to reverse takeover the Tories he needs the Mail onside.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Busted.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

FPT

With all due respect (however much that might be) to Carter Ruck, and acknowledging that everyone is entitled to representation, they do appear to have some remarkable arseholes as clients.
    Is he going to sue Zelensky?: LOLOLOLOLOLLLLL. What a weenie.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

FPT

If he wants to reverse takeover the Tories he needs the Mail onside.
    No idea if he does or doesnt.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

I love this. Max H posts a brilliant cerebral thread, full of contentious connections but well worthy of debate.

And we’re discussing whether politicians are good looking :smiley:

Got to love this site. Almost human.

p.s. Don’t take offence @MaxPB - great thread which I’m sure peeps will return to in the run up to 2029, 2034, 2039 … ;) xx

Wrong Max
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

A very good thread header from a first timer! My compliments.

Ultimately, the neoliberal consensus of the last 40 or so years is thoroughly broken now - the idea that most would do well out of it, and even the worst off would do better out of it than they would in any other system no longer seems to hold. Capitalism is becoming feudalism, with an entrenched 1% and a servant/serf class, unable to ever get out of the debt trap for long enough to accumulate assets of their own. So what comes next - history teaches us either the far left, or the far right, or both.

When people challenge the vast majority of new wealth going to the top 1% year after year, they are called out as communists, as if there should never be any restrictions, taxes or controls on capitalism.

People have gone bonkers and can't see the woods for the trees.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,232

What's French for Occam's Razor?
    Le Razor de Occam ?
  • Options
    JamesFJamesF Posts: 30
    I have a friend who coordinates events at a venue visited by Starmer last week. So she spent time speaking to his Police protection team.

They all call him "The Prime Minister". Not in a jokey way. Totally matter of fact. Power is already passing!
  • Options

Luke Tryl
    @LukeTryl
    🗣️Thoughts from speaking to voters this week in Blyth, Hartlepool, Northallerton, Whitby, Harrogate, Altrincham, Aberdeen, Wells & Aldershot.
    1) Views of Sunak are changing from anger, to not taking him seriously, Sky TV came up repeatedly as epitomising him 'not getting it'.

Luke Tryl
    @LukeTryl
    ·
    6h
    Even among more loyal Conservative voters there was a strong element of pity creeping in, and a growing number of 'decent man, not up to the job' type comments that we heard from those who should be loyal Tories.

https://x.com/LukeTryl/status/1804851853378695479
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Ultimately, the neoliberal consensus of the last 40 or so years is thoroughly broken now - the idea that most would do well out of it, and even the worst off would do better out of it than they would in any other system no longer seems to hold. Capitalism is becoming feudalism, with an entrenched 1% and a servant/serf class, unable to ever get out of the debt trap for long enough to accumulate assets of their own. So what comes next - history teaches us either the far left, or the far right, or both.

When people challenge the vast majority of new wealth going to the top 1% year after year, they are called out as communists, as if there should never be any restrictions, taxes or controls on capitalism.

The Problem is less the 1% and more the 0.1%.
  • Options
    Labour is to appoint dozens of peers within weeks in an attempt to push through its policies and improve the representation of women in the House of Lords, the Guardian has learned.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/23/labour-add-dozens-peers-back-policies-improve-gender-balance?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Says an 0.9%er, at a guess.
  • Options
    Talking of scapegoating, what about the scapegoating of working class communities for whom none of this has worked and for whom labour just took for granted as they always voted for them and the Tories did sod all to level up. Communities that lose their brightest and best to London and the South where the jobs and opportunities are. Communities that, under both parties, saw the good paying jobs in industry exported and replace with call centres and distribution hubs. The posho contingency here has not got a clue how many people just exist in this country.

You see some of the wailing about Brexit, like Eric idle today whining because he cannot go to France for more than 90 days, something that really affects precious few people to see the level of detachment.

I did not vote Brexit and would not vote reform but I absolutely get why people did/do and the failure of mainstream politicians to engage with these communities but just tell them what they should think has been telling.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,221
    Heathener said:

I missed that - I thought it was Rishi who claimed to be a Swiftie!

(And yes, Starmer will be by far the best-looking PM of the past century. Eden was a sleep-deprived drug addict by the time he got the top job, and it showed.)
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,401
    edited June 23

kyf_100 said:

The question is how you tax entrenched privilege without destroying aspiration. People should be able to start from nothing and do well, without being punished for it. But people who start from "nothing" and have it all handed to them, or people who start from everything and use that as leverage to make more...

One thought I've been toying with in my mind is a 500k(ish) lifetime allowance. Be it inheritance tax, CGT or on gifts from family members, or any other form of 'unearned' income. I would combine that with the end to the CGT exemption on primary residences, though that is obviously electoral suicide.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Talking of scapegoating, what about the scapegoating of working class communities for whom none of this has worked and for whom labour just took for granted as they always voted for them and the Tories did sod all to level up. Communities that lose their brightest and best to London and the South where the jobs and opportunities are. Communities that, under both parties, saw the good paying jobs in industry exported and replace with call centres and distribution hubs. The posho contingency here has not got a clue how many people just exist in this country.

You see some of the wailing about Brexit, like Eric idle today whining because he cannot go to France for more than 90 days, something that really affects precious few people to see the level of detachment.

I did not vote Brexit and would not vote reform but I absolutely get why people did/do and the failure of mainstream politicians to engage with these communities but just tell them what they should think has been telling.

You can see it again in the way the London clique want to shut down the North Sea Oil industry or are chilled about steelworkers losing their jobs
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

The higher up the more problematic it is for sure. There is no benefit to society having people worth hundreds of billions.
  • Options

Labour is to appoint dozens of peers within weeks in an attempt to push through its policies and improve the representation of women in the House of Lords, the Guardian has learned.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/23/labour-add-dozens-peers-back-policies-improve-gender-balance?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I wonder how many will be MP's who, by some happy coincidence, stood down at the last minute allowing SKS and Morgan McSweeney to parachute in their preferred candidates.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Any argument is a little undermined by this "Communities that lose their brightest and best to London and the South where the jobs and opportunities are."
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,738
    edited June 23

Nigelb said:

FPT

Is he going to sue Zelensky?: LOLOLOLOLOLLLLL. What a weenie.
    “British surrender monkey, go fuck yourself” ?

No, Zelensky’s probably too polite for that.
  • Options

Doing YMCA with her left arm in a sling?
  • Options

Taz said:

You can see it again in the way the London clique want to shut down the North Sea Oil industry or are chilled about steelworkers losing their jobs

We need oil for the foreseeable future and gas, and as Richard Tyndall points out oil is far more than just fossil fuel. I Remember a while back discussing it with someone here, cannot remember who, and pointing out oils gave us plastics. Needed for white goods. The solution, working class communites can have hand me downs from the affluent South.

Although I disagree with the tactics, and think it will bring about what they are trying to stop, at least Sharon Graham and UNITE are trying to fight for their steel jobs.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Says an 0.9%er, at a guess.
    Certainly, but the concentration of wealth at the 0.1% is quite something. People like Gates or Musk are worth more than entire countries. Your early 1% ers are senior managers in large organisations so harder to avoid tax.
  • Options

This time next week I shall be in France watching horrified frenchies bewailing the depths to which their country is plunging,

How many bottles in a “crate”? That sounds serious.

Best ESW though remains Dermot Sugrue’s “the trouble with dreams” range. Head and shoulders above almost all others. England’s finest winemaker is an Irishman.

Nyetimber are bloody good too, particularly their prestige cuvees. Then Oxney estate - probably my favourite of the mid sized producers.
  • Options
    edited June 23
    Omnium said:

Taz said:

Any argument is a little undermined by this "Communities that lose their brightest and best to London and the South where the jobs and opportunities are."

It really isn't as this does happen. But thanks for reading and the usual condescening response we expect from the detached.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/britain-faces-northern-brain-drain-29965316

https://thelead.uk/why-i-surrendered-northern-brain-drain#:~:text=Research published in May revealed,their areas for better opportunities.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,888

Come and join me

Today I woke up in a boat in St Malo. Went to the local Carrefour and bought wine. Drove across Brittany to beautiful beautiful Vannes. Met the guide. Had a lovely walk. Had a dozen oysters (Thankyou French taxpayers) and some muscadet. Then drove to port badon and got a tiny boat to the sacred Neolithic island of Gavrinis and its neighbouring islands with its half drowned Stonehenge and spent the time chatting (flirting?) with a French New Zealand lady and then got the boat back and then I drove over an ISTHMUS to Quiberon where I’ve just had excellent local langoustines with the home made mayonnaise in the best restaurant in town and now I sit in my room staring at the sea (great view out to the islands) and I drink the wine I bought in Carrefour and even now, after 35 years of doing this, I cannot believe this is MY JOB and I am paid to do it

Ok second job. But still
  • Options
    edited June 23
    Taz said:

I wonder how many will be MP's who, by some happy coincidence, stood down at the last minute allowing SKS and Morgan McSweeney to parachute in their preferred candidates.
    Dozens probably.

Tis was ever thus.

• Options

Taz said:

Dozens probably.

Tis was ever thus.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss
  • Options
    AlsoLei said:

Heathener said:

I missed that - I thought it was Rishi who claimed to be a Swiftie!

(And yes, Starmer will be by far the best-looking PM of the past century. Eden was a sleep-deprived drug addict by the time he got the top job, and it showed.)
    The all-MP competition being contested by, I think, Johnny Mercer and Sarah Greene.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,776
    Leon said:

Come and join me

Today I woke up in a boat in St Malo. Went to the local Carrefour and bought wine. Drove across Brittany to beautiful beautiful Vannes. Met the guide. Had a lovely walk. Had a dozen oysters (Thankyou French taxpayers) and some muscadet. Then drove to port badon and got a tiny boat to the sacred Neolithic island of Gavrinis and its neighbouring islands with its half drowned Stonehenge and spent the time chatting (flirting?) with a French New Zealand lady and then got the boat back and then I drove over an ISTHMUS to Quiberon where I’ve just had excellent local langoustines with the home made mayonnaise in the best restaurant in town and now I sit in my room staring at the sea (great view out to the islands) and I drink the wine I bought in Carrefour and even now, after 35 years of doing this, I cannot believe this is MY JOB and I am paid to do it

Ok second job. But still
    Vanessa is twinned with Fareham
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,776

Leon said:

Come and join me

Ok second job. But still
    Vanessa is twinned with Fareham
    Vannes
  • Options
    Taz said:

Omnium said:

Taz said:

It really isn't as this does happen. But thanks for reading and the usual condescening response we expect from the detached.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/britain-faces-northern-brain-drain-29965316
    Come along. You're asking for an incentive package that makes people want to stay and perhaps move in to a community that has people leaving. It's a big ask. And the big question is quite why you'd do all this?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,461
    Got to say Scotland have won the anthem competition hands down so far.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,218

Oh brilliant. Just what we need. More Lords!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,114
    Leven station in Fife, newly reopened at the end of a 5-mile branch via Cameron Bridge. I visited on Thursday:

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,364

You'll be disappointed. I've seldom seen France as crowded and lively as it is now. Certainly I've never known the south as busy as it is this July. You'll melt (at least you would if you weren't engrossed in spreadsheets).
  • Options
    Patrick O'Flynn
    @oflynnsocial
    ·
    2h
    A lot of gossip on the Westminster grapevine that the election betting scandal may be about to take a devastating new turn for the Tories. 👀
  • Options
    On the draw at 33/10 ecosse v hungarie. Exciting times.