Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How to stem the rise of the far right – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 913

FFS loads of old guys opining about Taylor Swift. It’s like me saying I don’t see the appeal of Enrico Caruso.

I mean, I get your point, but not everyone on here is old.

I'm the same age as Swift. And continue to follow contemporary music as I did 20 years ago.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,984
    Scotland living dangerously.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,780
    Post! LOL....
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,342

Taz said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon is 100% wrong, every time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastic_Beasts_and_Where_to_Find_Them_(film)

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is a 2016 fantasy film directed by David Yates and written by J. K. Rowling.

Yep. Fair play. I’m wrong on this and you’re right. Looks like she has written movies

If so she was misguided - I recall her saying that she turned down the opportunity to write the Harry Potter movies because she “knew she’d be no good at it”

That said, the wiki entry you cite says the movie grossed a ton of money and won awards. I’ve not seen it so 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️
    What a dud

Cost up to 200 Million USD and struggled badly taking 814 million USD.

Doesn't mean they weren't utter trash films

Doesn't mean they were either and you comment on her so called mental decline. Really ?

Get a grip
    Why is it okay to comment on Joe Biden's mental decline but not JK Rowling's?

Get a grip in Taz speak is "I don't agree but having nothing substantive to reply". Utter drivel.
    Because he's 90% in a vegetative state and she just has some opinions that you disagree with?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,377
    These two teams are shit.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,572

Post! LOL....

Currently the best Scotland defender.
  • Options
    Pandemonium in the added time, my nerves are shot.
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 494
    OnboardG1 said:

Tartan Army are in good voice, but fucking hell this game has big "Callie vs Thistle on a wet Saturday afternoon in November" vibes about it.

No expert but isn't that just one team?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,980

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Don't know what "mid" means, and never knowingly listened to a Taylor Swift song.

It just means distinctly average. The kind of thing teenage girls like.
    Not in this context. It means a female who is 6-7/10
    I was the one that called her mid. So I know what I am talking about thank you very much.

Also, as somebody who is actually young, I know what it means. So sod off.
    But you have no clue. And also zero sense of humour. You’re like a neurodivergent beach donkey
  • Options

How would you describe the referee?
  • Options

Because he's 90% in a vegetative state and she just has some opinions that you disagree with?

No, I don't actually disagree with JK Rowling on much, I think she's been proven correct on gender as I've said.

But I've followed her on Twitter for some time and something has gone wrong with her over time. Now she's backing Communist Party candidates.
  • Options

Leon said:

Scotland play football like wallpaper. It’s just there in the background. And it’s not even good wallpaper. Its wallpaper you put in the third guest room in the early 1990s

The sort of wallpaper Carrie Johnson would buy....
    You could buy the Scottish team for a roll of it?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,117

Heathener said:

FFS loads of old guys opining about Taylor Swift. It’s like me saying I don’t see the appeal of Enrico Caruso.

Yes a lot of us brought up children over the last 15 yrs and Taylor has been a staple. Writes her own catchy songs, works incredibly hard, a great business mind.

Re. JK Rowling, she fiddled with the early HP films to their detriment. Best leave a writer to her genre. Whenever authors meddle in film production it invariably ends badly.

Leon’s comment that Victoria Starmer ‘must have been an absolute stunner once’ is pure perviness coming from a 62 yr old man. The kind that makes my toes curl.
    Strong "creepy uncle vibes" indeed
    At what age must men stop finding women attractive Horse? I don't think he's cracking on to her.
  • Options
    edited June 23

OnboardG1 said:

Tartan Army are in good voice, but fucking hell this game has big "Callie vs Thistle on a wet Saturday afternoon in November" vibes about it.

No expert but isn't that just one team?
    In my mind that's Partick Thistle v Callie Thistle but my brain is back in the early 2000s football wise.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,178

It's like a shit version of England v Denmark.
  • Options
    Germany equalise v Switzerland.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,063

Leon said:

Taylor Swift is mid.

She’s mid now but she used to be extremely sexy and lush. She’s now in her 30s. People forget

Also: she has written superb country pop-rock songs. She’s not imaginary. She’s genuinely good

However I wonder how she will evolve. Her whole shtick is being the sexy girl talking about sex and being a neglected cheerleader… she can’t push that into her late 30s
    Over the top in her thirties? I am sure she will bear your comments in mind Grandad.
    Guys on politics forum tell successful billionaire singer how to run her career...

FFS!
    Shush now. The men are talking.
    Blethering perhaps...
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Don't know what "mid" means, and never knowingly listened to a Taylor Swift song.

I was the one that called her mid. So I know what I am talking about thank you very much.

But you have no clue. And also zero sense of humour. You’re like a neurodivergent beach donkey
    Oh I see the autism insult is back. Can we at least have some variety in your insults, you're boring me to death with this drivel - the fact people pay you to write is genuinely one of life's little mysteries.

I am going to back to ignoring you now as I don't want to give your stupidity anymore oxygen, bye.
  • Options
    Piper in the Scottish crowd playing a lament. There's still 6 minutes to go....
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 835

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Taylor Swift is mid.

That is my opinion. Some artists who become big you can sort of see why e.g. Carrot top Sheeran with his cool loop pedal stuff and playing about a billion tiny gigs. Or the people who popularise a totally new genre e.g. Nirvana, Beatles, Stones.

Taylor swift, seems like every other two a penny pop star, but is a billionaire with fans willing to pay crazy money to see her. Each to their own, but is beyond me.
    She can hold 90,000 people rapt, just her and a guitar, so she's doing something right.

The Eras show is spectacular. A technical tour de force, but again it wouldn't work if nobody liked the songs.
    Yes exactly. Her songs are REALLY good - as straight up melodic catchy pop. She’s an excellent singer songwriter and she was very pretty and she’s still rather attractive

However that doesn’t explain her enormous global success. The explanation for that is that people like her are now so rare. Music has declined badly. So a star who writes good songs who might once have had a nice career can now have an absurdly successful career by virtue of zero competition
    Meh, there is one in every generation.

The taylor swift superfans are the people who were going mental for "queen bee" beyonce a few years ago, or lady gaga's "little monsters" the gen before that, or "leave britney alone" if you want to go a generation earlier.

Every generation since the bobby soxers has packaged up mediocre pop for teenage girls to scream at and rally round as it's easier than developing an actual personality.
    Swift started in 2008 with Love Story (which I quite liked at the time too).
    She's been around an incredibly long time and dominated the 2010s and is dominating the 2020s too.

Sure, her time will come but not quite yet.
    She basically spent as long at the top as Madonna did, and still doesn't look (yet) like losing her shine.
    Only when your girlish glow flickers just so, do they let you know it's hell on Earth to be Heavenly...
  • Options

Bring back the vuvuzela.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Oh I see the autism insult is back. Can we at least have some variety in your insults, you're boring me to death with this drivel - the fact people pay you to write is genuinely one of life's little mysteries.

I am going to back to ignoring you now as I don't want to give your stupidity anymore oxygen, bye.
    Just try and be funny. ONCE

It’s not much to ask
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,062
    Andy_JS said:

Well, given the technology at your disposal, both issues can be instantly rectified.
  • Options

Bring back the vuvuzela.
    BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,905
    Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

I just don't understand the global pheononeoononenm of Taylor Swift.

I spent $300 on two terrible seats at the Rose Bowl, alongside 90,000 other people.

Never again.
    Wife and daughters went to Wembley yesterday to see her. Now, the 9-14 demographic you would expect yo enkoy it - and they did, very very much - but my wife - who's enthusiasm for Taylor's songs is no more than mid level supportive Mum - also declared it genuinely one of the best nights out of her life. Taylor is very very very good at putting on a show.

She's not my cup of tea. But that's fine, it's not aimed at me (the audience was 90% female). I like watching Half Man Half Biscuit in a small.club with 900 other fat bald middle aged men. (Natural contrarian - I get suspicious if anything I like gets too popular.) But fair play to her - she's clearly remarkably good at what she does. And she works eye-wateringly hard.
    She does: I went to the show with a friend who is a music industry lawyer. And he said that she's a complete workaholic, who is in every meeting, and has the final call on everything.

Very few solo artists last a decade and a half at the top of their game. Even is she is not our cup of tea, she's done an incredible job.
  • Options

Neither deserve to progress.

But then, England....
  • Options
    Oh ffs! Scotland.

Ok this is now better than wallpaper. Cmon Scotland
  • Options

An artist I am much more pleased about doing well is RAYE who I have been following for a long time. She's fabulous.

Has she any connection with PAYE? If so I’m not a fan.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,373
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Taylor Swift is mid.

That is my opinion. Some artists who become big you can sort of see why e.g. Carrot top Sheeran with his cool loop pedal stuff and playing about a billion tiny gigs. Or the people who popularise a totally new genre e.g. Nirvana, Beatles, Stones.

Taylor swift, seems like every other two a penny pop star, but is a billionaire with fans willing to pay crazy money to see her. Each to their own, but is beyond me.
    She can hold 90,000 people rapt, just her and a guitar, so she's doing something right.

The Eras show is spectacular. A technical tour de force, but again it wouldn't work if nobody liked the songs.
    Yes exactly. Her songs are REALLY good - as straight up melodic catchy pop. She’s an excellent singer songwriter and she was very pretty and she’s still rather attractive

However that doesn’t explain her enormous global success. The explanation for that is that people like her are now so rare. Music has declined badly. So a star who writes good songs who might once have had a nice career can now have an absurdly successful career by virtue of zero competition

The taylor swift superfans are the people who were going mental for "queen bee" beyonce a few years ago, or lady gaga's "little monsters" the gen before that, or "leave britney alone" if you want to go a generation earlier.

Every generation since the bobby soxers has packaged up mediocre pop for teenage girls to scream at and rally round as it's easier than developing an actual personality.
    But she’s not mediocre. She writes genuinely good songs with cleverly sexy lyrics - and sings them herself. She wins Grammys for a reason

That’s rare. It is much rarer now than it was 20-40 years ago but that’s a comment on the decline of popular music not a judgement of Ms Swift

It's not rare at all. In terms of commercial success, going back from the 1970s, you have similar fandoms for Aretha Franklin, Donna Summer, Cyndi Lauper, Madonna, Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Adele, Billie Eilish, etc.

None of them are my cup of tea, but I understand why people like them. To suggest that Taylor Swift is somehow a cut above them, I don't get it. It's middle of the road pop aimed at young girls - a popular genre since the bobby soxers.
    Any excuse to go back to Betjeman's 'Middlesex' and

'Fair Elaine the bobby-soxer,
    Fresh-complexioned with Innoxa,'
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,507
    nico679 said:

Betting Gate is no Partygate .

It’s pretty low level stuff but just feeds into the narrative of the Tories lack of integrity and just thinking they can do whatever they like.

A new bettingate twist from the Betfair forum, pointing out there were other markets in play. This is the graph for Rishi to be replaced as Conservative leader in the year 2024.

• Options
    Heathener said:

Yes a lot of us brought up children over the last 15 yrs and Taylor has been a staple. Writes her own catchy songs, works incredibly hard, a great business mind.

Re. JK Rowling, she fiddled with the early HP films to their detriment. Best leave a writer to her genre. Whenever authors meddle in film production it invariably ends badly.

Leon’s comment that Victoria Starmer ‘must have been an absolute stunner once’ is pure perviness coming from a 62 yr old man. The kind that makes my toes curl.
    I don't agree on writers and films. When is a film ever aa good as the book? When the screenwriter doesn't take absolute fucking liberties and sticks with the plot the author came up with. I don't know why screenwriters insist on buying a story and then rewriting it. It is never to the film's benefit.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,211

It's like a shit version of England v Denmark.
    Without goals...
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 986
    Thanks for everyone's comments so far on the header - sorry if I missed responding to any I've been reading comments whilst trying to herd some wayward exam markers back on track after a weekend away.

I was nervous posting it as (as Heathener said) its contentious and you are a pretty intelligent lot. I welcome the challenges -- hopefully its food for thought at least.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,233

Taz said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is a 2016 fantasy film directed by David Yates and written by J. K. Rowling.

Yep. Fair play. I’m wrong on this and you’re right. Looks like she has written movies

If so she was misguided - I recall her saying that she turned down the opportunity to write the Harry Potter movies because she “knew she’d be no good at it”

That said, the wiki entry you cite says the movie grossed a ton of money and won awards. I’ve not seen it so 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️
    What a dud

Doesn't mean they were either and you comment on her so called mental decline. Really ?

Get a grip

Get a grip in Taz speak is "I don't agree but having nothing substantive to reply". Utter drivel.
    I have never made a comment about Biden so God knows what you are on about.

The only drivel comes from you and your dribbling about JKRs so called mental decline.

What do your windows taste of ?
  • Options
    I reckon these two teams could play 200 minutes and still not score.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,362
    edited June 23
    Goal Hungary in the final seconds
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

What a dud

Get a grip

The only drivel comes from you and your dribbling about JKRs so called mental decline.

Have a good evening, Taz.
  • Options
    vinovino Posts: 158
    Thanks Vino! Hmmm...I think after Brexit, 'referendum' is probably too dirty a word. And I confess I don't know enough about the Swiss system. In general I wonder if we need to get away from the tyranny of the majority where we can. The Swiss may do this.

Referendum is only a dirty word to 48% of the voting population so what you are saying is that people just have to accept laws that the majority are against - seems an incentive to vote right wing
  • Options
    Shit.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,024
    Oops
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,189
    At least someone scored - because this match has been dire....
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,211
    Brutal way to go out.
  • Options
    Clearly Hungary were more hungry for goals than Scotland.
  • Options
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,666
    Football's a stupid game anyway. How's the cricket going?
  • Options
    FUCKING HELL
  • Options

Prophetic
  • Options
    Oh that’s brutal

Sympathies for Scotland
  • Options
    They're goin' home, they're goin' home, they're goin', Scotland's goin' home....
  • Options

On the draw at 33/10 ecosse v hungarie. Exciting times.

Fuck

• Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Prophetic
    Thank you.
  • Options

Taz said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

What a dud

Get a grip

Have a good evening, Taz.
    Better than you and its just got a lot better
  • Options
    Too many replays as usual, stopping us viewing the live action.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,126
    My first boss in the food industry, a massive Celtic fan always used to tell me that he had zero interest in national football. "Only the hoops" he would say.

Probably because of stuff like this...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,781
    darkage said:

A key problem facing the advanced western countries is the difficulty in getting anything done due to the legal/bureaucratic state. The solution to every problem is more regulations and process, all of which is inherently imperfect and contradictory. There was a realisation of the problems this was creating in the 1980's but no lasting or meaningful answer was ever settled on. So now most work in the economy is connected to the implementation of process or regulation rather than being productive or creative in its own right.

The conservatives had 14 years and made the situation I have described above worse. Labour will continue this trend. But the whole system needs rapid disruption - perhaps this is inevitable as the rest of the world adapts faster to technological innovation. It feels to me like the centrist parties (IE all the main parties) are just part of the old world and they will be transformed or swept away by something new, it may be called 'far right' but it is not necessarily correct to view it this way.

https://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2024/02/04/the-state-of-process-the-process-state/
    Omnium said:

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

Andy_JS said:

JK Rowling endorses Communist Party candidates.

https://x.com/jk_rowling/status/1804592902167019897

JK Rowling is, of course, batshit insane.

Plenty of people like that, just not many with a million+ followers on social media.

I pay her the same attention I pay any drooling lunatic at closing time in any local pub.
    I am sure she would think the same of you if she even knew you existed.
    If I were a billionaire, I would probably find better ways to spend my days than sitting on social media drumming up hatred for oppressed minorities.

But hey-ho.

I've never watched or read any of her fiction, the only reason I know of her existence is because she's a massive [expletive deleted].
    This posting shows you might actually be a better writer of fiction than she is.
    Mr Tyndall, you're mad. JK Rowling is a wonderful writer. She absolutely shines.
    It is perfectly possible to be objectively out to lunch, do harm and do good.

JKR made reading fashionable for a large number of children. I personally knew of families from the no-books at home lifestyle who ended up buying their children bookshelves. First thing on them was the much loved and battered set of…
  • Options
    edited June 23
    He even mis-kicked into the goal. Sums up quality of the game.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Better than you and its just got a lot better

Great.
  • Options
    We didn't deserve to win that, but we didn't deserve to go out like that either. What an utter disaster.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Taylor Swift is mid.

But she’s not mediocre. She writes genuinely good songs with cleverly sexy lyrics - and sings them herself. She wins Grammys for a reason

That’s rare. It is much rarer now than it was 20-40 years ago but that’s a comment on the decline of popular music not a judgement of Ms Swift

It's not rare at all. In terms of commercial success, going back from the 1970s, you have similar fandoms for Aretha Franklin, Donna Summer, Cyndi Lauper, Madonna, Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Adele, Billie Eilish, etc.

None of them are my cup of tea, but I understand why people like them. To suggest that Taylor Swift is somehow a cut above them, I don't get it. It's middle of the road pop aimed at young girls - a popular genre since the bobby soxers.
    Rob Brydon relays George Michael on touring to young lady fans:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9v67dlaahE&t=478s
  • Options

nico679 said:

It’s pretty low level stuff but just feeds into the narrative of the Tories lack of integrity and just thinking they can do whatever they like.

A new bettingate twist from the Betfair forum, pointing out there were other markets in play. This is the graph for Rishi to be replaced as Conservative leader in the year 2024.

Wagergate FFS
  • Options
    To be fair Scotland didn’t deserve that
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

I spent $300 on two terrible seats at the Rose Bowl, alongside 90,000 other people.

Never again.
    Wife and daughters went to Wembley yesterday to see her. Now, the 9-14 demographic you would expect yo enkoy it - and they did, very very much - but my wife - who's enthusiasm for Taylor's songs is no more than mid level supportive Mum - also declared it genuinely one of the best nights out of her life. Taylor is very very very good at putting on a show.

She's not my cup of tea. But that's fine, it's not aimed at me (the audience was 90% female). I like watching Half Man Half Biscuit in a small.club with 900 other fat bald middle aged men. (Natural contrarian - I get suspicious if anything I like gets too popular.) But fair play to her - she's clearly remarkably good at what she does. And she works eye-wateringly hard.
    She does: I went to the show with a friend who is a music industry lawyer. And he said that she's a complete workaholic, who is in every meeting, and has the final call on everything.

Very few solo artists last a decade and a half at the top of their game. Even is she is not our cup of tea, she's done an incredible job.
    Yep, to me what sets her apart is that she's the best at what she does. While she is my cup of tea I can also appreciate how she has made herself into the most successful artist of the day. It's not an accident.
  • Options

nico679 said:

Wagergate FFS
    Fluttergate
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,567
  • Options
    Leon said:

Oh that’s brutal

Sympathies for Scotland

Great goal. But in Scotland's defence it was made possible by Scotland, rightly going all out for attack.
    Mixed feelings. I'm half Scottish, but my youngest has mysteriously, arbitrarily and with the ferocity of a true ADHDer, attached great emotional importance to the progress of Hungary in the tournament amd I've already had to pick her up twice.
  • Options

Well I remember when Jason Donovan was the second-biggest star in the country after Kylie Minogue, something that seems slightly inexplicable in hindsight. 😊
  • Options
    tlg86 said:
    And he's taken out an iron....
  • Options
    Leon said:

In either sense. What a rubbish campaign.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,781

darkage said:

A key problem facing the advanced western countries is the difficulty in getting anything done due to the legal/bureaucratic state. The solution to every problem is more regulations and process, all of which is inherently imperfect and contradictory. There was a realisation of the problems this was creating in the 1980's but no lasting or meaningful answer was ever settled on. So now most work in the economy is connected to the implementation of process or regulation rather than being productive or creative in its own right.

The conservatives had 14 years and made the situation I have described above worse. Labour will continue this trend. But the whole system needs rapid disruption - perhaps this is inevitable as the rest of the world adapts faster to technological innovation. It feels to me like the centrist parties (IE all the main parties) are just part of the old world and they will be transformed or swept away by something new, it may be called 'far right' but it is not necessarily correct to view it this way.

This is most incisive analysis.

In my own industry I have watched over nearly 40 years the situation has gone from 90% of the cost /time is for doing the work / 10% for "getting permission" and documenting the work, to the exact opposite.

The standards are more and more complex (and often conflict with each other) to the extent that you almost need to be a lawyer to interpret the correct course of action.

Compare and contrast the cost of building a mileof motorway in the 1970s with the cost of doing so now (exponentially greater). This is why.

And again… https://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2024/02/04/the-state-of-process-the-process-state/
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,633
    I was mentally prepared for Scotland not to progress.

I was not ready for that
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,559

On the draw at 33/10 ecosse v hungarie. Exciting times.

Fuck

Them's the breaks.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,488
    Scott_xP said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Taylor Swift is mid.

No, I don't think that is true. Taylor Swift is the first billionaire musician made from music alone. She is much much bigger than pop stars over the past 10-15 years and seems to only get bigger and bigger rather than fading after the first couple of albums (like most do). Why that is, I don't know.
    No she isn't, Madonna became a billionaire 10 years ago. Embarrassing the way grown adults fawn over this girl.
    The comparison with Madonna is interesting.

For all Ms Swift's talents as a songwriter and performer, she can't dance.

Watch Madonna at Live Aid in Philadelphia. The dance routine is 'off the charts'
    As is her singing pitch.
  • Options
    Anyway, the way to do the music game is Sade - come out with an album and a massive tour every 10 years or so, looking stunning and sounding great, and the rest of the time live in mysterious obscurity on a pig farm.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U-SHfpm5Bxk&pp=ygUEU2FkZQ==
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,242
    Cookie said:

Heathener said:

At what age must men stop finding women attractive Horse? I don't think he's cracking on to her.
    Leon not demonstrating creepy uncle vibes. Are you new here?
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,829
    Leon said:

No, indeed not, but as I've just heard on the BBC - had they drawn, it would've then been some vague hope they might've finished in the top 4 of the 3rd placed teams, which would've been cruelly dashed on Wednesday night when results didn't go their way.

Scotland had to win tonight, and they couldn't even score. Just not good enough.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:
    Security guards slamming protestors into the ground can't be good for the playing surface.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Scotland living dangerously.

They've elected Alba?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

I was mentally prepared for Scotland not to progress.

I was not ready for that

https://x.com/willglloyd/status/1804982933008326930
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,938
    edited June 23
    Not really relevant for anything but I had a discussion over dinner with my 7 year old son about Plato's ship. Asked him what he thought about it and he came up with a good observation/critique; namely that the people who are popular need to work with the people who know how things work to get things done. Pretty obvious but I don't think I ever thought of that before.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Taylor Swift is mid.

No, I don't think that is true. Taylor Swift is the first billionaire musician made from music alone. She is much much bigger than pop stars over the past 10-15 years and seems to only get bigger and bigger rather than fading after the first couple of albums (like most do). Why that is, I don't know.
    No she isn't, Madonna became a billionaire 10 years ago. Embarrassing the way grown adults fawn over this girl.
    The comparison with Madonna is interesting.

For all Ms Swift's talents as a songwriter and performer, she can't dance.

Watch Madonna at Live Aid in Philadelphia. The dance routine is 'off the charts'
    As is her singing pitch.
    Saucer of milk for table 2. :lol:
  • Options
    edited June 23
    edit
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,788
    Cookie said:

Heathener said:

I don't agree on writers and films. When is a film ever aa good as the book? When the screenwriter doesn't take absolute fucking liberties and sticks with the plot the author came up with. I don't know why screenwriters insist on buying a story and then rewriting it. It is never to the film's benefit.
    Pretty well every Phillip K Dick adaptation says you’re wrong.
    And they are not a few.
  • Options
    Scotland going home to think again.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Heathener said:

Creepy uncle?

You do know Victoria Starmer is 61?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Well I remember when Jason Donovan was the second-biggest star in the country after Kylie Minogue, something that seems slightly inexplicable in hindsight. 😊
    And a rumoured conspiracy to tie up pressing plants in order to give Cliff the Christmas Number One when it should have been Kylie and Jason.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Anyway, the way to do the music game is Sade - come out with an album and a massive tour every 10 years or so, looking stunning and sounding great, and the rest of the time live in mysterious obscurity on a pig farm.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U-SHfpm5Bxk&pp=ygUEU2FkZQ==

Leon squatted with Sade in the early 80s in a Peckham bedsit, or have I mis-recalled?
    Lucky man.
  • Options
    For the most part, I think the expansion of the Euros to 24 teams has been a bad thing. But there are some plus sides.
  • Options
    We will be releasing our first @focaldataHQ MRP results tomorrow around 3pm for #GE2024 https://x.com/JamesKanag/status/1804980409941315942
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,666
    OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

In either sense. What a rubbish campaign.
    It was every Scotland campaign I can ever remember - rubbish first game, solid but unspectacular second game that puts them in a position that they at least have some control over their own destiny, rubbish third game that dashes hopes again. It would've been fair punishment for them to have drawn and then gone out on the basis of 2 points not being enough.

The small consolation is that we are more regularly having these campaigns at all and not just missing out the tournament entirely.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,207

stodge said:

stodge said:

Omnium said:

Taz said:

Talking of scapegoating, what about the scapegoating of working class communities for whom none of this has worked and for whom labour just took for granted as they always voted for them and the Tories did sod all to level up. Communities that lose their brightest and best to London and the South where the jobs and opportunities are. Communities that, under both parties, saw the good paying jobs in industry exported and replace with call centres and distribution hubs. The posho contingency here has not got a clue how many people just exist in this country.

You see some of the wailing about Brexit, like Eric idle today whining because he cannot go to France for more than 90 days, something that really affects precious few people to see the level of detachment.

I did not vote Brexit and would not vote reform but I absolutely get why people did/do and the failure of mainstream politicians to engage with these communities but just tell them what they should think has been telling.

Any argument is a little undermined by this "Communities that lose their brightest and best to London and the South where the jobs and opportunities are."
    This is where the paradox with Reform is at its most stark - Farage is an unreconstructed Thatcherite. He wants tax cuts, a la Truss, for the wealthy and is signed up to all this supply-side Lafferite nonsense. He also wants spending cuts though he rarely says it out loud wittering on about "woke" and "diversity".

Reform members and voters, on the other hand, are in a very different place. They signed up to the Conservative Levelling Up aganda which promised more money and resources for the north and midlands. Sunak and the Conservatives betrayed this in a nanosecond with the scrapping of HS2 north of Birmingham - a huge middle finger to the north.

Reform members and voters want the money and resources spent on the WWC in the north, not "wasted" as they would see it on the metropolitan liberal south. What won the north and midlands (the "Red Wall") wasn't Brexit - it was the sale of council houses. The sons and daughters of the original council house buyers inheriting property, becoming home owners and becoming Conservatives.

Labour neglected the north and didn't see or understand the impact of this huge change from rental to ownership - the Conservatives betrayed the north via the failure of HS2 and Levelling Up and the home owners are now left with big mortgages.

Reform's paradox will render it completely unable to meet the promises of their members and voters. The best hope for Reform oddly enough is to ditch Farage completely.
    I don't see the contradiction that you do. The North didn’t grow rich on Southern taxes building it tramways and municipal sculptures; it grew rich because people had factories and business and they grew. Infrastructure followed, again built privately. That's what Reform want to do - get the state off peoples' backs, so that once again, running an actual business is doable in this country. That's actual 'levelling up'.
    I confess I've not read the Reform manifesto in detail but that doesn't sound like the Reform minded voter. They simply want what they should consider a fair slice of the national cake spent in the poorer areas. That was a key aspect of Levelling Up - the re-direction of resources as well a the prioritisation on infrastructure.

It's not just about running a business and to be controversial, given how many businesses fail, perhaps it should be more about helping people run businesses by showing them how to run businesses.
    It has nothing to do with being shown how to run a business. Energy in this country is double what it is in the US. Taxes are through the roof. The Government hikes the minimum wage every time it wants a free popularity boost. Net Zero is busy nailing the coffin shut. How can we compete on those terms?

There isn't the environment to do business in this country. I made a blue sky suggestion at work that we should build a garment factory in the UK and was laughed out of the room.

I think you'll find the voters Reform is targeting understand this completely and are a lot more streetwise than you are giving them credit for.
    I'm sure that "insight" is found in supporters of all parties and none - it's not exclusive to Reform who can express the anger but seem to have no more answer than anyone else.

I seem, Budget after Budget, to have heard Chancellor after Chancellor claiming they are helping business (especially SMEs) and yet it's never enough. Banks used to fight for local SME accounts - perhaps they don't any longer.

I appreciate it's impossible to square the circle between demands on the public finances (and that includes the armed forces as much as it does the NHS) and the ability of the economy to generate the growth needed to sustain that demand.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,281
    Taz said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

I don't get Taylor Swift mania. She isn't Kylie, so what's the fuss about?

Kylie is massively overrated AFAIC. She is no Debbie Harry
    Debbie Harry is no Clare Grogan.
    Just waiting for a PBer to complain from personal experience that neither is Sarah Bernhardt.
    Grogan is more well know for Red Dwarf than her singing career/
    No: Gregory's Girl.
  • Options
    My last comment before I go indulge in some traditional alcoholism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCtPBFHKSNg
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Cookie said:

Heathener said:

Creepy uncle?

You do know Victoria Starmer is 61?
    Too young for Macron.
  • Options
    Every time you see a replay it is a penalty.
  • Options
    Big week coming. We will have an @IpsosUK voting intention poll out midweek. Exact timing tbc. One not to miss 👀 🔜

https://x.com/keiranpedley/status/1804984880868061327
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,788

Is that why the ref didn’t take a look ?
  • Options

I disagree. The Scotland player is going away from the ball. I think the Hungary player is trying to get round him and has a right to be where he is (compare with a pen in the Man City v Wolves game a few months ago).