Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why do some right wing Tory MPs want to overturn a democratic vote? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,359
    edited June 18
    Heathener said:
    Yes the new Mori MRP this evening gives Labour 453 seats, Tories 115, LDs 38 and SNP 15, plus 3 each for Reform and the Greens.

Suggests a Labour landslide but the Sunak Tories holding up better in the bluewall now than the redwall. It has Hunt holding Godalming and Ash for example by a narrow margin over the LDs

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,709
    BTW, in random GOP VP stakes you can lay the (IMO highly unlikely) Ben Carson for less than double figures. Get in if it suits your trading book.

Also on that Betfair Exchange market, Doug Burgum seems misplaced as favourite, surely ?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,577
    @PippaCrerar

Ipsos estimates Labour could win 453 seats and Tories 115, giving Labour 256 majority & inflicting Tories’ worst ever defeat.

Lib Dems 38/ SNP 15/ Greens 3/ Reform UK 3.

Nigel Farage on track to take Clacton while Jeremy Corbyn predicted to lose to Labour in Islington North.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,769
    edited June 18
    Andy_JS said:

What are the chances of a red card in this Turkey / Georgia match.

Brilliantly, the football so far matches the actual relationship between Georgia and Turkey - feisty and fiery, with Turkey dominant but no way the Georgians will ever back down
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,280
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

Going to state something really obvious here.

In Woking there are loads of LibDem banners. I’ve not seen one single Conservative one. And yet, this is a Cons seat. Jonathan Lord had a majority of nearly 10,000 last time.

Although this is going to be a LibDem gain, those 50% who voted Cons last time cannot have ALL given up (can they?!).

So, to state the obvious, there aren’t just shy tories out there, but there must be ashamed tories.

I’m not suggesting the polls are wrong because presumably you’d fess up to a pollster, wouldn’t you? But there must be a fair number of people who are going to vote Conservative who wouldn’t dare admit it this time.

Or have I got that wrong?

Haven't you noticed that 99% of Tories haven't been putting up election posters for about 20 years?
    Not really, Andy. We normally see a fair smattering of tory ones in Woking. But this time? Absolutely zilch. It’s quite remarkable.

Hence why I remarked on it ;)
    There's a load of Labour posters on Delancey St

This is Skyr Toolmakersson's own constituency, he is going to get a majority of 982,047

I can't get my head around the mentality of someone who puts up a Labour poster in that context. Are they perhaps rich nervous Brexity ex-Tories working in the City (we have a few on Delancey) or more like Germans in Nuremburg putting up swastikas as Leni Reifenstahl's camera crew rolls past?
    If they don’t put one up their friends may think they are a secret Tory
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,858
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

In Woking there are loads of LibDem banners. I’ve not seen one single Conservative one. And yet, this is a Cons seat. Jonathan Lord had a majority of nearly 10,000 last time.

Although this is going to be a LibDem gain, those 50% who voted Cons last time cannot have ALL given up (can they?!).

So, to state the obvious, there aren’t just shy tories out there, but there must be ashamed tories.

I’m not suggesting the polls are wrong because presumably you’d fess up to a pollster, wouldn’t you? But there must be a fair number of people who are going to vote Conservative who wouldn’t dare admit it this time.

Haven't you noticed that 99% of Tories haven't been putting up election posters for about 20 years?
    Not really, Andy. We normally see a fair smattering of tory ones in Woking. But this time? Absolutely zilch. It’s quite remarkable.

This is Skyr Toolmakersson's own constituency, he is going to get a majority of 982,047

I can't get my head around the mentality of someone who puts up a Labour poster in that context. Are they perhaps rich nervous Brexity ex-Tories working in the City (we have a few on Delancey) or more like Germans in Nuremburg putting up swastikas as Leni Reifenstahl's camera crew rolls past?
    I believe the phrase is virtue signalling.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,992
    Andy_JS said:

"Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage

Reform paid a vetting company £144k to carry out candidate checks. Not a single piece of work was delivered.

Colin Bloom has links to the Tory party & has very serious questions to answer.

Lawyers have been instructed. We do not rule out police action."

https://x.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1803023561939882366

I guess they are annoyed that the vetting company were unable to find enough fascists who had enough brain cells to delete their social media trails.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,887
    Another MRP predicting Reform will win a seat in Leicestershire.
  • Options
    Meanwhile Justin Timberlake arrested for driving while intoxicated in the Hamptons before his latest world tour
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv22wp1jwe4o
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

It's a crushing blow not to be on Leon's list. I'm staring at the bollard outside my bedsit but even the mandatory drizzle can't cheer me. I'm shaken. To the core.

I'll do another one next year. You never know
    I might not last. I'm thinking of doing something drastic.
    Thinking of Voting Reform? Do something more sensible like training to be a Kamikaze pilot.
    To be fair, I've looked at all my local candidates and the Reform one actually made the top 5
    I bumped into my Reform candidate and he seemed nice a quietly spoken if not very impactful. But I’m not voting for a party lead by Farage
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,052
    edited June 18
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

What are those of us not on Leon’s list going to do? We must form a support group.

I'll do a special needs list for the strivers, like yourself
    Special needs? Yes, you've caught me. In my defence I lose brain cells every time I look at your shit. Reading you is like being waterboarded with dumb.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,389
    Meanwhile, in confus? vous serez news,

France politics just got more complicated. Bardella - leader of the hard right RN- now saying he won’t go to Matignon (Downing street ) without an absolute majority. Which he probably won’t get now because of the seeming rise of the hard left coalition. Has he avoided Macron’s trap?

https://twitter.com/maitlis/status/1802993185116807364

• Options

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

If they don’t put one up their friends may think they are a secret Tory
    Yes, hence my "swastikas in Nuremburg" remark

I am, btw, copyrighting "Skyr Toolmakersson"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyr
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,247

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

It's a crushing blow not to be on Leon's list. I'm staring at the bollard outside my bedsit but even the mandatory drizzle can't cheer me. I'm shaken. To the core.

Thinking of Voting Reform? Do something more sensible like training to be a Kamikaze pilot.
    To be fair, I've looked at all my local candidates and the Reform one actually made the top 5
    I bumped into my Reform candidate and he seemed nice a quietly spoken if not very impactful. But I’m not voting for a party lead by Farage
    Nor me. I've got five candidates in my area. They didn't make the top 4.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

There's no need for confusion on the tax question. Labour will raise ALL taxes, they won't have any choice

Everyone knows that, the size of their majority depends upon which ones they admit they are planning to raise.
    Labour are gonna end up hated, really quite quickly

After that, Farage beckons
    Ah so this is an interesting (!) self-help strategy to cope with the prospect of a landslide Labour government - convince yourself it will lead to the triumph of the Hard Right.
    You can read it as you wish, I don't give a tiny scintilla of an iota of a soupcon of an atomic nano-fuck how you perceive me
    It is obviously going to be easier if you could let us know whose opinion of you you do care about then you don't have to spell it out each time to each poster.

I'll help you to get the process going.

You really, really care what I think of you and a strenuous denial will simply be proof that you are super affected by my opinion of you.
    That;s actually an interesting question. Whose opinion matters to me. It would have to be PB-ers whose intellect I respect, and/or who can ban me

So that's RCS and TSE

After that

@Richard_Nabavi

@IshmaelZ

(now sadly gone)

Sometimes @Gardenwalker and @FrancisUrquhart and a couple of others (I'll spare their blushes)

And @Peter_the_Punter because I've met him and he's a genuinely nice guy

They all think you're a c**t if that helps.
    They are sensible enough to know an echo chamber and having eccentric right wingers who are gifted at writing prose helps avoid this fate.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,041
    Labour is heading for a landslide win in the election, according to a new projection, but more than 100 Conservative-held seats appear to be on a knife-edge with the results in the hands of millions of undecided or swing voters.

In its first MRP model of the 2024 general election, Ipsos estimated Labour could win 453 seats and the Conservatives 115, giving Keir Starmer’s party a majority of 256 and inflicting the Tories’ worst ever defeat.

The Liberal Democrats could win 38 seats and the Scottish National party 15, three for the Greens and three for Reform UK. According to the projection, Nigel Farage is on track to overturn a huge Tory majority to win in Clacton while Jeremy Corbyn, standing as an independent, is predicted to lose to Labour in Islington North.

Labour has an implied vote share of 43%, with Rishi Sunak’s Tories on 25%, Reform UK on 12%, the Lib Dems on 10%, the Greens on 6%, the SNP on 3% and Plaid Cymru on 1%...

...High-profile Tories at risk of losing their seats include Penny Mordaunt, the Commons leader, Gillian Keegan, the education secretary, Grant Shapps, the defence secretary, and Jacob Rees-Mogg.

However, Jeremy Hunt, the chancellor, is predicted to cling on in Godalming and Ash, in a race that is too close to call, while Sunak’s Richmond and Northallerton seat is a Conservative hold but on a much-reduced majority, on 40% versus Labour’s 33%.

Labour’s vote share is increasing across the country, especially in Scotland and north-east England, with more modest advances or even some drops in urban areas where the party has traditionally been strong such as London, Manchester and Birmingham.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/18/labour-landslide-projected-tory-seats-conservatives-general-election?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,199
    Heathener said:

I think the IPSOS is out? It’s an MRP?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/18/labour-landslide-projected-tory-seats-conservatives-general-election?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Lab 453
    Con 115
    LibDem 38
    SNP 15
    Ref 3
    Greens 3

Labour has an implied vote share of 43%, with Rishi Sunak’s Tories on 25%, Reform UK on 12%, the Lib Dems on 10%, the Greens on 6%, the SNP on 3% and Plaid Cymru on 1%.

IPSOS Sample 20,000 people 7-12 June

A lot of this will be relatively old data, but it's the very top end of the polling for the Tories. The range for them here is 160 seats if everything goes well (ie, DKs break to them disproportionately) to around 70 if it doesn't.

Islington North down as a comfortable Labour hold.

• Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I don't believe for one second that a significant number of Tory MPs will join Reform after the election.

For the first thing, that would require there to be a significant number of Tory MPs after the election.

Well played.

In all seriousness I don't think it the most likely scenario, but I think it's possible.

I think it more likely that if the Tories are sub 100 seats that a leadership candidate advocating merger with Reform could emerge, off the threat of MPs jumping ship.
    I think this is true, and was the point of my header the other day, that that's why the Conservative brand has to be Ratnered in the election, so Farage or Tory-Farage can't build off it.
    The more it is Ratnered the more Farage can take over as leader of the right of centre in this country
    Are you happy for a fascist to take over a party that you are committed to?
    Are you happy for hyperbolic over use of the word "fascist" to detoxify it and in time make actual fascists electable?

What ever else Farage is or isn't he dosent advocate violence to get his way politically and run paramilitary organisations to firm up his support and and intimidate opponents

Howecer the three main parties have an unfortunate record, even in recent decades, when it comes to appeasing parties in the UK with Westminster seats who did.
    See my previous post. Well done for using the word hyperbole, though it was a little hyperbolic to use it in this context.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,484
    Heathener said:

kinabalu said:

How long until 0-49 seats is favourite??

Is that where you see it going? Really?
    If the polling doesn't start to turn, yes. It's been one way traffic for 2 weeks solid
    Got to admit I was expecting things to begin narrowing.

Maybe they still will. Maybe the constant tax attack will stick. Time is running out though.

An interesting test on this coming up @Heathener
    Today's Yougov 'stories heard most about in the last week' is the first since Dday to not feature Rishi doing a runner in the top 3 (it's almost faded out totally overnight), if that has been impacting Tory VI that shackle MAY now be released
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,712
    I’m surprised at that MRP on Jeremy Hunt. It doesn’t tally with what I’ve heard on the local grapevine, but who knows?

He’s not the worst of the Conservatives and he has some personal support in these parts.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

What are those of us not on Leon’s list going to do? We must form a support group.

Special needs? Yes, you've caught me. In my defence I lose brain cells every time I look at your shit. Reading you is like being waterboarded with dumb.
    It is indeed a marvel of the world that I get paid to write this "dumb shit", and you, to put it gently, don't
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Nor me. I've got five candidates in my area. They didn't make the top 4.
    He beat the LibDem for me.

Entire leaflet was relitigating Brexit.

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,945
    Heathener said:

Lab 453
    Con 115
    LibDem 38
    SNP 15
    Ref 3
    Greens 3

Labour has an implied vote share of 43%, with Rishi Sunak’s Tories on 25%, Reform UK on 12%, the Lib Dems on 10%, the Greens on 6%, the SNP on 3% and Plaid Cymru on 1%.

Looks realistic except for the Green result, and with some Tory swingback still due. Reform on 12% is hardly crossover territory. Tactical voting would probably give the Lib Dems a slightly better return than that.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

There's no need for confusion on the tax question. Labour will raise ALL taxes, they won't have any choice

Everyone knows that, the size of their majority depends upon which ones they admit they are planning to raise.

Ah so this is an interesting (!) self-help strategy to cope with the prospect of a landslide Labour government - convince yourself it will lead to the triumph of the Hard Right.
    You can read it as you wish, I don't give a tiny scintilla of an iota of a soupcon of an atomic nano-fuck how you perceive me
    It is obviously going to be easier if you could let us know whose opinion of you you do care about then you don't have to spell it out each time to each poster.

You really, really care what I think of you and a strenuous denial will simply be proof that you are super affected by my opinion of you.
    That;s actually an interesting question. Whose opinion matters to me. It would have to be PB-ers whose intellect I respect, and/or who can ban me

So that's RCS and TSE

After that

@Richard_Nabavi

@IshmaelZ

(now sadly gone)

Sometimes @Gardenwalker and @FrancisUrquhart and a couple of others (I'll spare their blushes)

They are sensible enough to know an echo chamber and having eccentric right wingers who are gifted at writing prose helps avoid this fate.
    MisterBedfordshire make a late bid to get onto the list, using some tried and tested obsequy.
    Go on, Leon, that's a striver if ever I saw one.
  • Options
    Again the Tory MRP share higher than standard poll share
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,961
    Andy_JS said:

I remember posting on here that at GE2017 I only saw one Tory poster during the entire campaign, which was in a field just outside Maidenhead IIRC. Yet the Tories got 44% of the vote.

I'll bet that Tory poster in a field in Maidenhead was in a field of wheat.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,218
    Heathener said:

I’m surprised at that MRP on Jeremy Hunt. It doesn’t tally with what I’ve heard on the local grapevine, but who knows?

He’s not the worst of the Conservatives and he has some personal support in these parts.

He is noticeably invisible from the national campaign.
  • Options

25% seems like a very likely value for the Tories to actually end up with on election night imo.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,173
    Is the Ipsos seat-by-seat breakdown anywhere?
  • Options
    edited June 18

Heathener said:

He is noticeably invisible from the national campaign.
    He is working the constituency incredibly hard.

Maybe he’s going to do it. Kudos to him if he does hold on.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

MRP doesn't take account of personal votes, right? Stand corrected if it does.
  • Options

Should be on their website later.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,607
    Andy_JS said:

"Dozens of Tory-held seats on a knife-edge" is a logically stupid thing to write, because that would be the case almost no matter what swing there was from Con to Lab. But it probably sounds good in a headline.

Its not stupid at all. Off a very similar Tory % they could end up with 50 or 150 seats. That is not normal in a UK election.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

So that's RCS and TSE

After that

@Richard_Nabavi

@IshmaelZ

(now sadly gone)

I award you the George Galloway Cup for Obsequiousness 2024. I am surprised you didn't say “Leon, Sir, I salute your courage, your strength, your indefatigability.”

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,262
    eek said:

If you want an idea of how defensive the Tory campaign has become, Sunak has just been meeting fishermen in Geoffrey Cox’s constituency in West Devon, where he has a majority of 25,000

Did they feel it was a bit high?
  • Options
    From someone who really knows his stuff ...

Great to see from Ipsos.

This MRP (7-12 June) used random probability sampling, which means this should be a very high quality sample.

The fact it puts Cons a bit higher (25%) and Reform a bit lower (12%) is significant and reinforces my suspicions about RefUK being overstated.

https://x.com/Beyond_Topline/status/1803099004466602227
  • Options

France politics just got more complicated. Bardella - leader of the hard right RN- now saying he won’t go to Matignon (Downing street ) without an absolute majority. Which he probably won’t get now because of the seeming rise of the hard left coalition. Has he avoided Macron’s trap?

Well if he leads the largest party Macron will likely appoint him PM anyway as neither the hard left block or Macron's block plus Les Republicains would have a majority either
  • Options

Heathener said:

Lab 453
    Con 115
    LibDem 38
    SNP 15
    Ref 3
    Greens 3

A lot of this will be relatively old data, but it's the very top end of the polling for the Tories. The range for them here is 160 seats if everything goes well (ie, DKs break to them disproportionately) to around 70 if it doesn't.

Hopefully July 4th will be an entertaining evening watching soon to be ex-MPs who fancied that they had a big personal vote.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,052
    edited June 18
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

It is indeed a marvel of the world that I get paid to write this "dumb shit", and you, to put it gently, don't
    It is indeed a marvel that you get paid to write what you come out with. The fact that someone pays you for this, and that a politician with the talents of Rishi Sunak became Prime Minister, does prove that shit constantly rises to the top.
  • Options
    "Labour’s vote share is increasing across the country, especially in Scotland and north-east England, with more modest advances or even some drops in urban areas where the party has traditionally been strong such as London, Manchester and Birmingham."

Why would Labour's vote go down in London?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,389
    Heathener said:

Unless "How many huge orange diamonds can you see from your window?" is one of the questions, there's no way I can see of a MRP getting a hyper focused campaign like the Lib Dems right. Or, come to think of it, Comrade Jez's bid to win in Islington.
  • Options
    edited June 18
    Andy_JS said:

25% seems like a very likely value for the Tories to actually end up with on election night imo.
    I’m still going 25-27% Cons

What is surprising me is that the Labour vote share is holding up. I was expecting more of a gentle slide.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,262
    HYUFD said:

Well if he leads the largest party Macron will likely appoint him PM anyway as neither the hard left block or Macron's block plus Les Republicains would have a majority either
    It could set up an interesting constitutional crisis if the elected parliament effectively refused to form a government under Macron.
  • Options
    edited June 18

Great to see from Ipsos.

This MRP (7-12 June) used random probability sampling, which means this should be a very high quality sample.

The fact it puts Cons a bit higher (25%) and Reform a bit lower (12%) is significant and reinforces my suspicions about RefUK being overstated.

Who is this person? I have never heard of them. That isn't an insult, that is I genuinely interested to know more.
  • Options
    edited June 18
    The previous MRP said Mid Leicestershire would go to Reform, this one says NW Leicestershire will do, which was Andrew Bridgen's seat until dissolution.

"Reform UK, meanwhile, is estimated to hang on to Lee Anderson’s Ashfield seat and to take Clacton, where Farage could overturn a massive Conservative majority. North West Leicestershire is also leaning towards Reform, though with a small lead."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/18/labour-landslide-projected-tory-seats-conservatives-general-election
  • Options
    edited June 18
    I think the Turks in the stadium are a tad excited....they are even singing for Jeremy Corbyn ;-)
  • Options
    I am told the full MRP will be published on the Ipsos website at 6pm.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,607
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

How long until 0-49 seats is favourite??

Is that where you see it going? Really?
    If the polling doesn't start to turn, yes. It's been one way traffic for 2 weeks solid
    Well you're a keen poll watcher so let's see. If that does happen, Cons below 50, my LD seats buy at 40 could be an absolute rock star.
    Could be some great human interest stories too. Would be a few LD candidates who stand without much expectation or thought of winning who end up straight in the shadow cabinet.
    Step forward @RochdalePioneers ... ???
    Hope they don't check his social media!
    I think he's already said he's cool with that ?
    I'm sure he is. I doubt the whips or press team will be if they need half their MPs to be in the shadow cabinet though.
    They are a liberal party - what's the problem ?
    Just to be clear, I have no problem with it. I suspect the whips would, and if they didn't and he ended up in the shadow cabinet then the press and his opponents probably would too.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,309
    Perfectly executed volley. A thing of beauty.
  • Options
    edited June 18
    Two in two minutes!

Fake news!
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,961

Heathener said:

Lab 453
    Con 115
    LibDem 38
    SNP 15
    Ref 3
    Greens 3

On your last point, it says that all the independents combined will only get 13% (Labour 54%) in Islington N. Clearly, Corbyn on his own will get a lot more than 13%, even though I don't think he'll win. But it rather suggests the poll isn't taking into account specific constituency factors. And, as you say, it's a bit old (polling 7-12 June).
  • Options
    SNP = 15 seats with this new MRP.
  • Options
    Artist said:

Another MRP predicting Reform will win a seat in Leicestershire.

Yes, this time it's the obvious one of NW, whereas Mid in the previous MRP was a very weird result.
  • Options
    VAR strikes again.

Why it is taking forever to show the Hawkeye visualisation of offside actually on screen? It is taking 5+ minutes to get to show it on tv coverage.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Lab 453
    Con 115
    LibDem 38
    SNP 15
    Ref 3
    Greens 3

I’d actually be really happy with a result like this. It would give me the Gov’t I want. But it wouldn’t decimate the Conservatives, meaning that they would hopefully pick themselves up, begin sorting things out, and get back on an even keel to be an effective Opposition. Whilst all the while keeping at bay the fascists like Braverman and Farage.
  • Options
    Ooh.

STATEMENT REGARDING JOEY BARTON:

The news of Joey Barton’s apology and commitment to pay damages and costs is not the final outcome of this case.

After five defamatory tweets, my lawyer offered Barton a chance to settle: pay £75k, plus my costs, and make an apology.

He ignored that offer and posted more disgusting tweets about me, even publishing my home address to his followers.

When I then took my case to the High Court, a judge ruled that TEN of the tweets I complained of were defamatory. Having lost, Barton has returned to the offer we made after tweet 5.

There has therefore been a parallel action on tweets 6-10 and Barton will pay further damages for these. A number of other steps — including statements made in Court by way of apology — are still to be taken, and Barton has agreed to pay my legal costs of all of the claims.

Jeremy Vine

https://x.com/theJeremyVine/status/1803100048403665035
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

It is indeed a marvel that you get paid to write what you come out with. The fact that someone pays you for this, and that a politician with the talents of Rishi Sunak became Prime Minister, does prove that shit constantly rises to the top.
    Even better, this state of affair drives you fucking mental
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,940
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Naughty. Leon is a gifted writer and his articles and posts always worth reading (haven't taken the step yet with his books, as um, one or two others on the list ahead of his).

He is just a very needy gifted writer.

Leon, darling, we're just teasing.
  • Options
    edited June 18

Ooh.

STATEMENT REGARDING JOEY BARTON:

The news of Joey Barton’s apology and commitment to pay damages and costs is not the final outcome of this case.

After five defamatory tweets, my lawyer offered Barton a chance to settle: pay £75k, plus my costs, and make an apology.

He ignored that offer and posted more disgusting tweets about me, even publishing my home address to his followers.

When I then took my case to the High Court, a judge ruled that TEN of the tweets I complained of were defamatory. Having lost, Barton has returned to the offer we made after tweet 5.

There has therefore been a parallel action on tweets 6-10 and Barton will pay further damages for these. A number of other steps — including statements made in Court by way of apology — are still to be taken, and Barton has agreed to pay my legal costs of all of the claims.

Jeremy Vine

https://x.com/theJeremyVine/status/1803100048403665035

Vine's lawyers must have bought their 4 or 5th home on the back of knobheads on social media having a go at Vine.
  • Options
    Joey Barton is a thoroughly nasty shit.

And he serves as a warning to anyone else who wishes to disappear down that far right rabbit hole.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Labour’s vote share is increasing across the country, especially in Scotland and north-east England, with more modest advances or even some drops in urban areas where the party has traditionally been strong such as London, Manchester and Birmingham."

Why would Labour's vote go down in London?

Hamas.
  • Options
    Georgia have equalised v Turkey, 1-1.
  • Options

Great to see from Ipsos.

@SouthamObserver as (I presume) a Southam local can you put me right on a question: my parents live in the Southam & Kenilworth seat. They are planning to vote Lib Dem and are convinced Lib Dems are best placed to beat the Conservative there but tactical websites think otherwise. Your thoughts?
  • Options
    YES!!!!!

GO GEORGIA

What a game. Best game by far, to date

KHINKALI, KHINKALI, ORANGE WINE IS NOTHING TO BE SCARED OF
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Naughty. Leon is a gifted writer and his articles and posts always worth reading (haven't taken the step yet with his books, as um, one or two others on the list ahead of his).

He is just a very needy gifted writer.

Leon, darling, we're just teasing.
    Exhibitonist rather than needy, it's fine judgment, but there is a difference

A show-off, basically
  • Options
    JFNJFN Posts: 18

Post 6pm according to their Twitter
  • Options
    What a game!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,558

I don't believe for one second that a significant number of Tory MPs will join Reform after the election.

For the first thing, that would require there to be a significant number of Tory MPs after the election.

FPT
    BartholomewRoberts said:

» show previous quotes
    I know you don't like the unionist parties but I thought you had no love lost for the SNP too nowadays?

Are you back on board with the SNP under Swinney? Or is Alba more your vibe?

No chance, Swinney is one of the biggest rats in the nest. No way I will vote SNP whilst teh current bunch of shysters are in control. I have only Alba or ISP as the only real Independence parties left and so looks likely that I will have no-one to vote for this time.
  • Options
    In news that forces me to reappraise my views on the iniquities of UK planning law, I've just been told that the "prefecture" (i.e. the department of Saone et Loire) have retrospectively denied us planning permission to use a certain colour of corrugated metal on a barn conversion despite the Mairie giving its blessing a year ago.

The building work has already bloody been done!

And who the hell cares at the prefecture? The metal cladding is on a building tucked away down a cul de sac at the edge of a hamlet and is only visible to one neighbour, who loves it and has something similar herself.

This appears to be not NIMBY action but pen-pushers in the city hall. But apparently it's the first time our architects have ever seen the prefecture go against the advice of a Mairie.

Unless that devious local farmer who has been trying to play silly buggers with our garden perimeter has been up to his usual tricks...
  • Options
    An absolutely terrifying thread about what an actual Labour government will be like

https://x.com/admcollingwood/status/1803104439697313995

"In November, long before #zeroseats, even as the media was reporting politics as usual, I wrote a thread on why the Tories were heading for an epochal defeat. Now that this is received wisdom, it's time for a new thread, forecasting how Labour will govern. Be very afraid."

I pray that this dude is wrong; I fear in my vittals that he is bang on
  • Options
    TimS said:

Great to see from Ipsos.

@SouthamObserver as (I presume) a Southam local can you put me right on a question: my parents live in the Southam & Kenilworth seat. They are planning to vote Lib Dem and are convinced Lib Dems are best placed to beat the Conservative there but tactical websites think otherwise. Your thoughts?

Ex-local lad, now in Sidmouth, East Devon.

Last time, Labour and the LDs finished within a couple of hundred votes of each other, I think, so it's a very tough call to make. Warwick & Leamington, which K&S surrounds, will move from ultra marginal to safe Labour, for example. However, another next door constituency, Stratford-upon-Avon, will be a major LibDem focus, while Labour will be looking to take Rugby. In other words, there are no real pointers. This is a seat where I can see the Tory holding on with well under 50% because of a split opposition. Forced choice - my very uneducated guess is Labour will get closest.

• Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,087

Andy_JS said:

"Dozens of Tory-held seats on a knife-edge" is a logically stupid thing to write, because that would be the case almost no matter what swing there was from Con to Lab. But it probably sounds good in a headline.

Its not stupid at all. Off a very similar Tory % they could end up with 50 or 150 seats. That is not normal in a UK election.
    No, @Andy_JS is right. The range could be 50-150, 100-200 or 150-250 It's not +/- 50 just at this level of swing.
  • Options
    @ChrisStoneTV

Replying to @RobDotHutton and @mrjamesob

It gets better. http://Vetting.com is not a vetting company, it's a vetting platform. You buy a license and do the input yourself. It looks like someone at @reformparty_uk didn't understand that. But no, of course, it's "an establishment stitch-up"
  • Options

Great to see from Ipsos.

Who is this person? I have never heard of them. That isn't an insult, that is I genuinely interested to know more.

He provides very good. disinterested, poll analysis. He's one of a few like that I follow on Twitter.

• Options
    @IpsosUK
    🚨NEW: FIRST IPSOS #GE2024 MRP🚨

Ipsos MRP estimates Labour could win 453 seats

🔴LAB 453
    🔵CON 115
    🟠LD 38
    🟡SNP 15
    🟢PC 4
    🟦RFM 3
    🟩GRN 3

20,000 participants surveyed online on the Ipsos KnowledgePanel

https://x.com/IpsosUK/status/1803107966637199746
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@ChrisStoneTV

Replying to @RobDotHutton and @mrjamesob

It gets better. http://Vetting.com is not a vetting company, it's a vetting platform. You buy a license and do the input yourself. It looks like someone at @reformparty_uk didn't understand that. But no, of course, it's "an establishment stitch-up"

PPE and Vetting services available at mug dot farage
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 428
    Leon said:

An absolutely terrifying thread about what an actual Labour government will be like

"In November, long before #zeroseats, even as the media was reporting politics as usual, I wrote a thread on why the Tories were heading for an epochal defeat. Now that this is received wisdom, it's time for a new thread, forecasting how Labour will govern. Be very afraid."

Just read that thread. Most of it read linked “Labour have said they will do X…but what if they do Y? That would be terrifying”

Not saying they will stick to the manifesto at all but there wasn’t much in there which seemed credibly scary.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,600
    Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

I’m still going 25-27% Cons

What is surprising me is that the Labour vote share is holding up. I was expecting more of a gentle slide.
    That’s where I am on Cons I think. I said 204 (I think!) after the election was called; I’ve since priced in a bit of d-day collapse which I think has been quite damaging so we’re down into the 150s.

On the MRP I’m not sure where that third Green seat is coming from. In reality I expect two close seconds and no actual seats.
  • Options
    edited June 18
    England v Georgia would be interesting.

One of the two countries actually has a comprehensible reason for using the St George’s cross
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,200

Leon said:

Just read that thread. Most of it read linked “Labour have said they will do X…but what if they do Y? That would be terrifying”

Not saying they will stick to the manifesto at all but there wasn’t much in there which seemed credibly scary.
    Oh, all very bendy bananas?
  • Options
    edited June 18

Leon said:

Another subtlety lost on @Leon. He’s just a MAGAloon I’m afraid and loves trying to whip up reaction on here.

Why is a so-called successful writer spending so much of his life on a minor political forum? It doesn’t stack up ...
  • Options
    A very useful graphic showing why the focus on small boats is an obfuscatory red herring, whether you're for or against large scale immigration:

https://x.com/EdConwaySky/status/1803108317641744819
  • Options
    Doesn't pass the smell test in Oxfordshire. Labour are going to be higher than 19% in Witney and they're not going to be anywhere near 30% in Didcot & Wantage or Bicester & Woodstock.
  • Options

Leon said:

His central thesis is that Labour are fucked economically, and stuck with few choices - which is true - so they will have to raise taxes just to stand still (this is not their fault, of course, they are inheriting a fiscal nightmare)

They won't be able to throw money at public services, so in the absence of that they will do loads of Woke things to keep activists and MPs happy, they won't tackle immigration, or the boat people, they will follow Scotland and Wales on education and health (God help us), they will follow Scotland on Trans, they will do awful, damaging things

Hence, I believe, a brutal backlash in five years when desperate voters reach for the hard right, not just the right

If Skyr Toolmakersson can prove me wrong, I will buy him - or me - a bottle of Brennivin by way of relief and celebration
  • Options
    This Ipsos MRP is nuts. North Herefordshire is going... Green? What the actual ****?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,197
    Leon said:

A lot of this talk about Labour seeking to stop any future government going in a right wing direction seems like scaremongering to me.

No Parliament can bind it's successor. The Tories could have thrown out most or all of the 1997-2010 reforms in the past 14 years if they'd wished but the fact is they chose not to.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,437
    TimS said:

A very useful graphic showing why the focus on small boats is an obfuscatory red herring, whether you're for or against large scale immigration:

https://x.com/EdConwaySky/status/1803108317641744819

As I said during a discussion on here last week 96.4% of the immigration into this country is legal and sanctioned/encouraged by the Government. Focusing on the 3ish % that come over by small boats is just another in a long line of Tory deceptions.
  • Options
    edited June 18
    Leon said:

Leon said:

His central thesis is that Labour are fucked economically, and stuck with few choices - which is true - so they will have to raise taxes just to stand still (this is not their fault, of course, they are inheriting a fiscal nightmare)

They won't be able to throw money at public services, so in the absence of that they will do loads of Woke things to keep activists and MPs happy, they won't tackle immigration, or the boat people, they will follow Scotland and Wales on education and health (God help us), they will follow Scotland on Trans, they will do awful, damaging things

Hence, I believe, a brutal backlash in five years when desperate voters reach for the hard right, not just the right

If Skyr Toolmakersson can prove me wrong, I will buy him - or me - a bottle of Brennivin by way of relief and celebration
    Collingwood and Pilkington have been predicting financial meltdown for years. LIGHTS FLASHING RED ON THE DASHBOARD!!!1!! every month. Chicken Little fare to panic people like you.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Pro_Rata said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

I would have thought the most likely outcome for a big chunk of that 43% is not voting at all. If they've got so far and are still uncertain...

I am showing up in the polls (not this one) as undecided, but will definitely vote. I don't think I am the only one on this board.
    Actually that’s a really good point as well. Some of the undecideds may be Tactical Voters?

My Newton Abbot constituency is conflicted!

Best for Britain tell me to vote Labour: https://www.getvoting.org/constituency/E14001381

Tactical.vote tell me to vote LibDem:
    https://tactical.vote/newton-abbot/

and

TacticalVote.co.uk haven’t yet made up their mind!
    https://tacticalvote.co.uk/#NewtonAbbot

So whereas I thought I might have to vote LibDem, I’m no longer sure!
    There is nothing about Newton Abbot that says Labour to me in any manner for a tactical vote. Lib Dem all the way.
    Can I ask you please to be searingly honest? Are you a LibDem voter? Your “nothing […] in any manner” makes me less, not more, likely to believe you. It’s overdone.

Tactical.Vote didn’t even think about it, seemingly. They put LibDem from the word go.

Best for Britain took 3 weeks to weigh it up, carefully, and concluded that I should vote Labour.
    From the MORI-IPSOS MRP on Newton Abbot

@Pro_Rata this is exactly what I was saying earlier. Newton Abbot is leaning Conservative but with Labour, not the LibDems, in second

• Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,597
    edited June 18
    I've been in California for the last couple of weeks. I've been trying to get a sense on the ground of where the Presidential election is heading, and from my entirely unscientific sample of friends and acquaintances in this completely atypical state, I am leaning Trump. Of course the usual caveat is that people don't start to focus on politics till after Labor Day in September, but with that out of the way, my main reasons for thinking so are:

- the economy. People feel the inflation here every time they go to the store. And they complain about it constantly and spontaneously, unlike most political issues. Biden has got all the blame for that, partially undeservedly, but that's politics. His misnamed and misdirected Inflation Reduction Act convinced absolutely nobody.
    - Israel/Palestine. As so often with his foreign policy, Biden has picked an unhappy middle course, doing enough to obstruct Israel to annoy its supporters while not helping the Palestinians nearly enough to appease theirs.
    - Biden's age. Spontaneously people are mentioning how he is deteriorating more and more. He is even more the butt of jokes than when I was here last time, which is not where a politician wants to be.
    - Trump. The 34 guilty verdicts are in a case no-one really cares about, and have angered only Trump's opponents. As none of the other cases look likely to go to trial before the election, and as any sentence in New York will be appealed until well into next year, I don't think the NY DA's indictment has done anything besides give Trump masses of free publicity to energise his supporters. It's completely bizarre and counterintuitive but there we are.

Some dogs that haven't barked in my political discussions with friends: the border, Ukraine, the strength of the economy, China.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,197
    Scott_xP said:

@IpsosUK
    🚨NEW: FIRST IPSOS #GE2024 MRP🚨

Ipsos MRP estimates Labour could win 453 seats

🔴LAB 453
    🔵CON 115
    🟠LD 38
    🟡SNP 15
    🟢PC 4
    🟦RFM 3
    🟩GRN 3

20,000 participants surveyed online on the Ipsos KnowledgePanel

https://x.com/IpsosUK/status/1803107966637199746

Conservatives still solidly the His Majesty's Opposition though 115 is still the worst defeat in Con history.
  • Options

TimS said:

Great to see from Ipsos.

Ex-local lad, now in Sidmouth, East Devon.

Last time, Labour and the LDs finished within a couple of hundred votes of each other, I think, so it's a very tough call to make. Warwick & Leamington, which K&S surrounds, will move from ultra marginal to safe Labour, for example. However, another next door constituency, Stratford-upon-Avon, will be a major LibDem focus, while Labour will be looking to take Rugby. In other words, there are no real pointers. This is a seat where I can see the Tory holding on with well under 50% because of a split opposition. Forced choice - my very uneducated guess is Labour will get closest.

Thanks. Given the tricky choice I expect they are probably best going with their hearts rather than me trying to persuade them otherwise. Their rationale was I think council election results.

Sounds like it might, in a wipeout, also end up with a LL one-two. If there are lots of them it will make for an interesting general election next time.
  • Options
    Gavin Williamson forecast to get 50% in his new seat of Stone, Great Wyrley & Penkridge.

Con 50%
    Lab 38%
    LD 7%
    Grn 5%
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Another subtlety lost on @Leon. He’s just a MAGAloon I’m afraid and loves trying to whip up reaction on here.

Why is a so-called successful writer spending so much of his life on a minor political forum? It doesn’t stack up ...
    Why is a world traveller, thermos-hot-water-hoarder, transgender expert, well known TV pundit, hardworking postwoman, friend of Misha Hussein, spa day goer, single mother, Devonshire farmer, AWARD WINNING WRITER, and close friend of Surrey Tories WHO ALSO ACTUALLY HAS A LIFE ACTUALLY - spending so much time on a minor political forum?

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,358
    Andy_JS said:

Gavin Williamson forecast to get 50% in his new seat of Stone, Great Wyrley & Penkridge.

Con 50%
    Lab 38%
    LD 7%
    Grn 5%

No reform ?
  • Options
    Just had a report in from my parents in a posh bit of East Hants. Apparently Lib Dem posters everywhere whatever that means