Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The War at Home: Labour Defences (Part One) – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,827
edited June 17 in General
imageThe War at Home: Labour Defences (Part One) – politicalbetting.com

In 1997 Labour won a landslide with 146 gains and no losses. It stands to reason really: Their vote share rose by 8.8% nationally and with the bulk of voters deciding on national issues or loyalties that rising tide lifted all boats.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,630
    edited June 17
    1st like Labour, but not as much as current polling tells you
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,557
    Labour the matching cheek of the Tory arse and 2nd.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Really good article, thanks Quincel

Seconded. Thanks Pip.

• Options
    By the way, in the ‘Heathener meets X,Y, and Z’ Series to which you are all now becoming accustomed and which annoys some, and helps others to make money ( ;) ) …

I know of two people who are bitterly anti-migration to the UK, likely to vote Reform, but who are themselves migrants in other countries. One migrant is a pilot currently living in Germany. The other migrant is a rather well known MAGAloon on this board.

The irony.
  • Options
    In Canterbury, the student vote will be absent for a July election but Duffield should be ok.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,297
    Still not got the Harry Worth shop window thing quite right. But progress is being made. Try standing straight and wear a trilby
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/17/ed-daveys-gameshow-approach-to-election-makes-a-modest-splash
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,942
    edited June 17
    Farooq said:

Really good article, thanks Quincel

Part Two is published this afternoon.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,884
    edited June 17
    Interesting header. Bristol central feels like the only remotely competitive one of those seats. Free hit, as you say.

I live in a safe London seat but my vineyard is in Canterbury. The evidence from local rural sign boards is Rosie Duffield should be comfortably cruising to another victory.

Though long term Canterbury is perhaps a bit of an anomaly. Cathedral city, county cricket ground, vineyards, hilly, relatively prosperous, quite a few Lib Dems on the council. I think if it were a. further West, b. a little more prosperous it would be nailed on Lib Dem country.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,177
    TimS said:

Interesting header. Bristol central feels like the only remotely competitive one of those seats. Free hit, as you say.

I live in a safe London seat but my vineyard is in Canterbury. The evidence from local rural sign boards is Rosie Duffield should be comfortably cruising to another victory.

Though long term Canterbury is perhaps a bit of an anomaly. Cathedral city, county cricket ground, vineyards, hilly, relatively prosperous, quite a few Lib Dems on the council. I think if it were a. further West, b. a little more prosperous it would be nailed on Lib Dem country.

I don't know Canterbury at all but I was taken aback by you "relatively prosperous". I imagined it to be a very wealthy area indeed. So I did a quick check: https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/constituency-data-wages/

Note that this is wages, which is only part of the picture. It doesn't show wealth. But according to that it's BELOW the national average. I find that hugely surprising. I assumed Canterbury was very posh, like top 5%. Always interesting to find a big blind spot in your own perceptions.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,378
    algarkirk said:

Still not got the Harry Worth shop window thing quite right. But progress is being made. Try standing straight and wear a trilby
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/17/ed-daveys-gameshow-approach-to-election-makes-a-modest-splash

Someone with the technical skill must be able to turn THAT Harry Worth image into a swingometer.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,630
    Farooq said:

TimS said:

I don't know Canterbury at all but I was taken aback by you "relatively prosperous". I imagined it to be a very wealthy area indeed. So I did a quick check: https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/constituency-data-wages/

Note that this is wages, which is only part of the picture. It doesn't show wealth. But according to that it's BELOW the national average. I find that hugely surprising. I assumed Canterbury was very posh, like top 5%. Always interesting to find a big blind spot in your own perceptions.
    Around a quarter of the electorate are students, according to wikipedia.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,942
    Divine right of Popes?

Where is the Vatican Olly Cromwell?

The Pope faces UN investigation over his personal authorisation of allegedly unlawful wiretaps during a Vatican investigation into the “corrupt” sale of a £300 million central London property.

Lawyers for Raffaele Mincione, a British financier accused of defrauding the Vatican, have filed a complaint to the UN about alleged abuses committed during the trial by Pope Francis, the spiritual leader of 1.4 billion Catholics worldwide.

Rodney Dixon KC, a leading human rights barrister, has accused the Pope of personally authorising unlawful wiretaps of Mr Mincione’s phone during the investigation into alleged wrongdoing at the Vatican.

During the trial, it emerged that Pope Francis himself handed powers to investigators allowing them to tap phones, intercept emails and arrest anyone they wanted to without approval from a judge. The powers were based on “rescritti” – ancient laws that the Pope could use as divine monarch of the Vatican.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/06/16/pope-accused-illegally-wiretapping-phones/
  • Options
    edited June 17
    1997 v 2024

I thought this graphic might make for an interesting visual comparison.

The one glaring difference is Reform and their impact on the Cons vote, and why I might be very wrong in saying this result is going to be closer to 1997. The impact on the Labour share is visually clear from this but because the Conservatives are also taking a hit, the Labour position looks stronger (at present)

Mods please note that this is ONE Screenshot single image

• Options
    Heathener said:

I know what you mean, but we've all been expecting swingback for ages, and it hasn't happened yet and there are- at most- 17 days to go.

(And for the 1 in 6 or so who vote by post, voting day is approximately now.)
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,027

Heathener said:

I know what you mean, but we've all been expecting swingback for ages, and it hasn't happened yet and there are- at most- 17 days to go.

Yep and those people are likely to be older voters.

I do, however, need to point out we have seen some swing back - note BigG’s change of vote
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,789
    edited June 17
    Heathener said:

They were on 456 seats with the Survation MRP, on a vote share of 39.6%.
  • Options
    Current Republican legislative priorities.

Latest review of US House legislation shows GOP proposals to:

- Require US Treasury to print $500 bills with Trump's portrait

-Rename Dulles Airport in Virginia after Trump

-Rename US coastal economic zones after Trump

-Award Trump a Congressional Gold Medal

https://x.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1802488326005440741
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,127
    edited June 17
    Andy_JS said:

"Theodore Dalrymple
    Labour’s Century
    The party that once sought to improve life chances in the U.K. now strives mostly to improve the lives of opportunists."

https://www.city-journal.org/article/labours-century

Dalrymple talks approvingly of an early Labour leader improving people's life chances and compares him favourably with today's Labour Party. But actually he has no interest in the practical steps to improve people's life chances today. There is nothing the Labour Party can do to match Ramsay MacDonald, as long as that man is firmly in the past. It isn't a nostalgia for the past - if only things were like that today they would need much better. It's using the past to cover an intellectual vacuum.

Fluently and beautifully written though.
  • Options
    There’s a very good piece by Professor Will Jennings on the opinion polling

General Election 2024: What the polls tell us about what will happen on 4 July

https://news.sky.com/story/general-election-2024-what-the-polls-tell-us-about-what-will-happen-on-4-july-13153029

• Options
    edited June 17
    Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

They were on 456 seats with the Survation MRP, on a vote share of 39.6%.
    ?

Your point Andy?

Mine would be: Obvs I’d be delighted to be proven wrong but I don’t think Labour will win by as much as polls currently suggest. Although I did mention y’day that I think they will do worse on vote share than 1997 (c. 37-39% maybe sneaking 40%) but better on seats won (c.400+).

I think the Conservatives will do better than their current polling c. 25%, perhaps up to 27% … maybe 100+ seats. Maybe 150+

Could be talking complete rubbish!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,135
    edited June 17

Divine right of Popes?

The Pope faces UN investigation over his personal authorisation of allegedly unlawful wiretaps during a Vatican investigation into the “corrupt” sale of a £300 million central London property.

Lawyers for Raffaele Mincione, a British financier accused of defrauding the Vatican, have filed a complaint to the UN about alleged abuses committed during the trial by Pope Francis, the spiritual leader of 1.4 billion Catholics worldwide.

Rodney Dixon KC, a leading human rights barrister, has accused the Pope of personally authorising unlawful wiretaps of Mr Mincione’s phone during the investigation into alleged wrongdoing at the Vatican.

During the trial, it emerged that Pope Francis himself handed powers to investigators allowing them to tap phones, intercept emails and arrest anyone they wanted to without approval from a judge. The powers were based on “rescritti” – ancient laws that the Pope could use as divine monarch of the Vatican.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/06/16/pope-accused-illegally-wiretapping-phones/

Eh? If these powers are permitted under Vatican law, they're not unlawful. Soemthing wrong with the story, either the actual facts, or the writing.

Somehow reminiscent of this other story in the DT today, in terms of indignation at the obvious:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/06/17/photographer-disqualified-from-ai-image-contest/

'A photographer whose shot of a headless flamingo won a competition for Artificial Intelligence generated images has been disqualified because the picture was genuine.'
  • Options
    eek said:

Heathener said:

I do, however, need to point out we have seen some swing back - note BigG’s change of vote
    True, though BigG is unusual, in the ways most of us here are.

Partly in following the ebb and flow so closely. But also in having a partisan loyalty that, when push comes to shove, takes an awful lot to overcome.

(Really hope I've phrased that in a way that doesn't cause offence.)
  • Options
    Just noting that on R4 Today this morning Farage would not in any respect at all (including 6th Jan and attempted vote rigging) criticise Trump without qualifying, exculpating and moderating it.
  • Options
    In that piece Will Jennings says around 1 in 5 are voting by post
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,630

Heathener said:

The last three opinion polls published have fieldwork up to the 14th, 20 days from polling day and Labour leads of 17, 25 and 24 points.

At the same time in the 2017GE campaign the Tory leads were 9, 12 and 13 points, so we can see that a lot of the narrowing of the lead in that campaign had happened by this point.
  • Options
    edited June 17

eek said:

Heathener said:

Partly in following the ebb and flow so closely. But also in having a partisan loyalty that, when push comes to shove, takes an awful lot to overcome.

I don’t think he is unusual in what he has said. As I’ve mentioned, I’m now pretty sure my Surrey tory friend who had told me she was voting LibDem is now going to vote Conservative.

And, interestingly, she has deployed the same argument as BigG that ‘anyway it won’t make any difference.’

I think you’re right to mention partisan loyalty and I wonder therefore if a fair % of Conservative voters will return to the fold over the next fortnight.
  • Options
    Anyway, off out. See y’all.

Play nice

xx
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,422
    edited June 17
    Morning all. On the subject of Labour defences, these are the places I think Labour will underperform vs national and then take a look and see if you feel they'll underachieve enough to lose.
    Slough, Birmingham generally (particularly Ladywood, Yardley), parts of London where strong Independants are running, Leicester, Rochdale, Oldham, Blackburn.
    They probably hold everything or nearly everything but that's where they'll underperform imo.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,490

eek said:

Heathener said:

More simply, individual anecdotes are no substitute for proper evidence in situations like this.

I was expecting that pensioner Tories would return to the fold in large numbers and spare the party a good hiding in this election. There's no sign of this happening at all. At this stage, Conservative hopes rest entirely on the Reform vote suggested in the polls actually consisting of disappointed right wingers who defect back to them again in the privacy of the polling booth.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,478
    Heathener said:

eek said:

Heathener said:

As I’ve mentioned, I’m now pretty sure my Surrey tory friend who had told me she was voting LibDem is now going to vote Conservative.

And, interestingly, she has deployed the same argument as BigG that ‘anyway it won’t make any difference.’

But if too many do that they might end up with Sunak again !

We often see these exclamations of not voting Tory with lots of outrage and then those voters find an issue on which to justify their coming back to the party .
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,682
    edited June 17
    FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Theodore Dalrymple
    Labour’s Century
    The party that once sought to improve life chances in the U.K. now strives mostly to improve the lives of opportunists."

Dalrymple talks approvingly of an early Labour leader improving people's life chances and compares him favourably with today's Labour Party. But actually he has no interest in the practical steps to improve people's life chances today. There is nothing the Labour Party can do to match Ramsay MacDonald, as long as that man is firmly in the past. It isn't a nostalgia for the past - if only things were like that today they would need much better. It's using the past to cover an intellectual vacuum.

Can’t imagine that MacDonald & Co. would have put up with marginal tax rates of 70%+ on the very poorest.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Divine right of Popes?

Eh? If these powers are permitted under Vatican law, they're not unlawful. Soemthing wrong with the story, either the actual facts, or the writing.

Somehow reminiscent of this other story in the DT today, in terms of indignation at the obvious:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/06/17/photographer-disqualified-from-ai-image-contest/

'A photographer whose shot of a headless flamingo won a competition for Artificial Intelligence generated images has been disqualified because the picture was genuine.'
    Yup - the clue is the Vatican is a state.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,986
    Heathener said:

https://news.sky.com/story/general-election-2024-what-the-polls-tell-us-about-what-will-happen-on-4-july-13153029

One take home is that despite changes in methodology (and inquests when it goes wrong) the Tory vote share is almost always higher than the polls. I think it will be so again. I just cannot believe that the Reform polling will turn into votes, and in the sanctity of the polling booth many who said never again, may well give it one last go (again).

I think this is why most on here are expecting a bigish Labour majority, but discounting the ludicrous (seeming) talk of super majorities.

But we will find out fairly soon. Is Reform the new Alliance from the 80's?
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Heathener said:

eek said:

Heathener said:

As I’ve mentioned, I’m now pretty sure my Surrey tory friend who had told me she was voting LibDem is now going to vote Conservative.

But if too many do that they might end up with Sunak again !

We often see these exclamations of not voting Tory with lots of outrage and then those voters find an issue on which to justify their coming back to the party .
    Tribal voting is a very strong impulse. Its why the party on the spank tends to overperform or hit higher end polling on GE day. The sometimes seen underperformance vs polling of the winner is mostly the late break of tribal defence voting from DK/WNV
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,927
    Question: To form a Government you can form a coalition, but can you do that for official opposition? This has not been relevant before, but say the Tories lead the LDs by a seat or two can the LDs form a coalition with the Alliance (their sister party) and then be the official opposition? Could the Tories counter with the DUP (who are not a sister party)? And does this happen already really re Lab and Coop, or Conservative or LD which have separate parties north and south of the border?

Specifically if the Tories are on say 70 seats and the LDs on 68 seats and the Alliance on 3 seats who is the official opposition?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Heathener said:

By the way, in the ‘Heathener meets X,Y, and Z’ Series to which you are all now becoming accustomed and which annoys some, and helps others to make money ( ;) ) …

I know of two people who are bitterly anti-migration to the UK, likely to vote Reform, but who are themselves migrants in other countries. One migrant is a pilot currently living in Germany. The other migrant is a rather well known MAGAloon on this board.

The irony.

People living in other countries shouldn't have the vote here. The idea that you can decide help decide laws that won't affect you is so obviously wrong it's a wonder it's not obvious to everyone.
    The first generation immigrant side of my family is upset with immigration as it is currently done.

In their view, they came here to be British, not to import their culture and demand the place turns into their home country. They came here because it *wasn't* Peru.
  • Options

Heathener said:

One take home is that despite changes in methodology (and inquests when it goes wrong) the Tory vote share is almost always higher than the polls. I think it will be so again. I just cannot believe that the Reform polling will turn into votes, and in the sanctity of the polling booth many who said never again, may well give it one last go (again).

I think this is why most on here are expecting a bigish Labour majority, but discounting the ludicrous (seeming) talk of super majorities.

If old people do end up voting Tory instead of a Reform protest vote, then we might expect to see that in the opinion polls soon, because a decent proportion of them will make that choice with their postal vote.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,127
    edited June 17
    algarkirk said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Theodore Dalrymple
    Labour’s Century

Dalrymple has two great takes, both plausible and untrue. One is that stuff in the past is great but nothing at all in the here and now is great or even good at all.

The second is that humanity is irredeemably horrible.

He is the thinking man's Daily Mail. There is more wisdom about life today in the writings of Julian of Norwich (b 1343) than this graceless misanthrope.
    There was a question on here a few days ago about why British intellectuals are almost all left wing. Dalrymple may provide part of an answer.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,478

Heathener said:

If old people do end up voting Tory instead of a Reform protest vote, then we might expect to see that in the opinion polls soon, because a decent proportion of them will make that choice with their postal vote.
    The pollsters do need to start asking voting preference with that added on as postal votes are already going out .
  • Options

In Canterbury, the student vote will be absent for a July election but Duffield should be ok.

Doubt it. I have first hand info that the conscription wheeze resulted in near 100% student electoral registration and postal ballot application where needed.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Question: To form a Government you can form a coalition, but can you do that for official opposition? This has not been relevant before, but say the Tories lead the LDs by a seat or two can the LDs form a coalition with the Alliance (their sister party) and then be the official opposition? Could the Tories counter with the DUP (who are not a sister party)? And does this happen already really re Lab and Coop, or Conservative or LD which have separate parties north and south of the border?

Specifically if the Tories are on say 70 seats and the LDs on 68 seats and the Alliance on 3 seats who is the official opposition?

My understanding is that the second largest party gets the 6 questions at PMQs but it would be a messy situation
  • Options
    edited June 17
    nico679 said:

Heathener said:

The pollsters do need to start asking voting preference with that added on as postal votes are already going out .
    Probably by this time next week, old man Woolie hasn't had his postal yet, I guess the bulk hit over the next couple of days then need a day or two to return and affect polling
  • Options
    kjh said:

FWIW I think that is a question without a relevant precedent. The speaker will be hoping it doesn't happen. As an opinion, if such a situation arose I think the LOTO would be the person who can command, to the speaker's satisfaction, the second largest number of 'votes of confidence' in the commons, regardless of party label and a way would be devised to formalise that process by motions voted on in the house.
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 206
    Why is more not being made of Labour's plan to shut down UK oil and gas?

Must be one of the few highly productive industries left in the UK? And would mean less energy security. Madness.
  • Options
    kjh said:

I think this has never occurred before, so there isn't a formal rule for it, and so it would end up being the Speaker who would decide.

If the Speaker were to ask for my personal advice, then I would say that the decision should be on the basis of which opposition leader could reasonably be expected to have the loyalty of the greatest number of MPs, and I would judge this by the number of MPs who were subject to that leader's whipping operation.

So, for example, when May had an agreement with the DUP for their support after the 2017GE, the DUP were not subject to the Tory whip, and so I wouldn't count that sort of agreement for this counting of numbers.

I would only make Ed Davey the leader of the opposition in your scenario if the APNI MPs took the Liberal Democrat whip in the Commons.

In practice I think my definition is strict enough to rule out most opposition coalitions.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Try this from Wikipedia:

The 1937 Act also contains an important provision to decide who is the Leader of the Opposition, if this is in doubt. Under section 10(3) "If any doubt arises as to which is or was at any material time the party in opposition to His Majesty's Government having the greatest numerical strength in the House of Commons, or as to who is or was at any material time the leader in that House of such a party the question shall be decided for the purposes of this Act by the Speaker of the House of Commons, and his decision, certified in writing under his hand, shall be final and conclusive".

The act is the Ministers of the Crown Act 1937.
  • Options
    BatteryCorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorse Posts: 2,403
    edited June 17
    https://x.com/LBC/status/1802620106188452029

'I've never asked anyone to do this...could you give me a moo?'

Former police officer Dan demonstrates his exceptional ability to communicate with animals for @NickFerrariLBC after telling a tale of how he once used a PA system to clear cattle off the M11.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

kjh said:

FWIW I think that is a question without a relevant precedent. The speaker will be hoping it doesn't happen. As an opinion, if such a situation arose I think the LOTO would be the person who can command, to the speaker's satisfaction, the second largest number of 'votes of confidence' in the commons, regardless of party label and a way would be devised to formalise that process by motions voted on in the house.
    One issue that might impact here is that under any 'formal' arrangement the lesser party (let's say LD and SNP with SNP smaller) would lose any PMQs questions entitlement as it would be rolled into the LD LOTO questions
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,305

Former police officer Dan demonstrates his exceptional ability to communicate with animals for @NickFerrariLBC after telling a tale of how he once used a PA system to clear cattle off the M11.

Real keystone cops effort from Surrey police. Also can't quite believe there wasn't a large animal vet available in the whole of Surrey available for some (very) easy money.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Heathener said:

They are.

I got asked my voting intention by Yougov this morning, and the question included an option for postal voting.
    They asked both a generic "if there were an election tomorrow" type question and a "how will you (and how certain are you to) vote" - specific to my constituency.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

kjh said:

Try this from Wikipedia:

The 1937 Act also contains an important provision to decide who is the Leader of the Opposition, if this is in doubt. Under section 10(3) "If any doubt arises as to which is or was at any material time the party in opposition to His Majesty's Government having the greatest numerical strength in the House of Commons, or as to who is or was at any material time the leader in that House of such a party the question shall be decided for the purposes of this Act by the Speaker of the House of Commons, and his decision, certified in writing under his hand, shall be final and conclusive".

Suggests to me purely a numerical thing then, who has most seats. Formal merger required rather than coalition agreement as there is no 'confidence and supply' for opposition
  • Options
    Labour is ruling out changing council tax bands. This is just piss poor.
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 407
    kjh said:

Although there has never been a dispute as to who holds the position, under the Ministerial and other Salaries Act 1975, the Speaker's decision on the identity of the Leader of the Opposition is final.[4]

Per wiki.

I'd have thought same rules as forming a government, and a coalition can be the opposition
  • Options
    ianian Posts: 17
    Living in Essex, as I do, i can vonfidently tell you the M11 ŕuns owhere near Surrey!
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,154
    algarkirk said:

kjh said:

Try this from Wikipedia:

Which exasperatingly doesn't appear to have been digitised onto legislation.gov.uk, nor the act that replaced it.

There's an interesting briefing note at https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn06057/ but that starts from the assumption that the title of Opposition is always conferred on the second largest party.

I think you could make a good case for a coalition opposition, largely on the basis that if you can have a Coalition Government with the Ministers shared out between parties, there's no reason to bar it to an Opposition. There is also strong precedent in local government where the formation of "groups" of different parties, often to gain the Opposition role, is common (for example, the LibDems and Greens have together formed a group on a couple of Oxfordshire councils).
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,191

Steady as she goes...
  • Options
    ianian Posts: 17
    I can also tell you that my keyboard has let me down!
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Divine right of Popes?

The UN hath no writ in this Free Realm of Vatican State.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,283
    Heathener said:

In that piece Will Jennings says around 1 in 5 are voting by post

Yes, for 20% of us the election takes place this week.

Vote early, before the black swan event next week.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,986
    Pulpstar said:

Real keystone cops effort from Surrey police. Also can't quite believe there wasn't a large animal vet available in the whole of Surrey available for some (very) easy money.
    My Dad is ex police from a rural location. He would have had all the local farmers called to deal with it. Helps that he used to pop in and see them all from time to time, even as a Chief Inspector.
  • Options
    edited June 17
    LDs deciding they can afford to lose a few votes in Richmond Park in order to gain support elsewhere. 😊

"Lib Dems call for rural fuel duty relief expansion"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cedd744kq40o
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,588
    Farooq said:

Heathener said:

The irony.

People living in other countries shouldn't have the vote here. The idea that you can decide help decide laws that won't affect you is so obviously wrong it's a wonder it's not obvious to everyone.
    I agree, but in practice very few people living overseas actually vote. It's quite a complicated process - you have to register with the local authority where you last lived in the UK and find a proxy to vote for you - postal votes are not sent outside the UK.

I was an agent in a seat with an electorate of 80,000 on several occasions and there were only about 200 overseas electors on the register and I doubt more than a handful actually voted. The Tories brought in overseas registration because. like voter ID, they thought it would benefit them but, like voter ID, this did not give them the boost that they hoped for.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,064
    edited June 17
    Nunu5 said:

Must be one of the few highly productive industries left in the UK? And would mean less energy security. Madness.

Labour are not planning to shut down oil and gas. As I understand it, they are planning on not issuing new oil and gas licences, which would mean that currently operating fields would continue to produce. This would lead to a managed decline in production over the next couple of decades in accordance with the need to reduce fossil fuel emissions in order to reduce global warming. The accompanying shift to sustainable energy sources will improve our energy security since we will then no longer be dependent on fossil fuels from unfriendly regimes.
  • Options
    I will be putting in my postal vote as soon as it arrives.

I will be proudly voting Labour this time.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,283

Morning all. On the subject of Labour defences, these are the places I think Labour will underperform vs national and then take a look and see if you feel they'll underachieve enough to lose.
    Slough, Birmingham generally (particularly Ladywood, Yardley), parts of London where strong Independants are running, Leicester, Rochdale, Oldham, Blackburn.
    They probably hold everything or nearly everything but that's where they'll underperform imo.

Some of the Bradford seats will have a Hamas factor.

Might stop us winning Keighley. That, and the closure of the council recycling centre in Ilkley meaning that the well-healed residents have to come over the moor to dump their rubbish. Could be a surprise Tory hold?
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 407

Pulpstar said:

My Dad is ex police from a rural location. He would have had all the local farmers called to deal with it. Helps that he used to pop in and see them all from time to time, even as a Chief Inspector.
    And as I said last night you can always zoom in on the ear tag and find out who owns it.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Steady as she goes...
    Ruling out changing tax bands dosent rule out adding some extra ones at the top does it?
  • Options

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

The irony.

I agree, but in practice very few people living overseas actually vote. It's quite a complicated process - you have to register with the local authority where you last lived in the UK and find a proxy to vote for you - postal votes are not sent outside the UK.

I was an agent in a seat with an electorate of 80,000 on several occasions and there were only about 200 overseas electors on the register and I doubt more than a handful actually voted. The Tories brought in overseas registration because. like voter ID, they thought it would benefit them but, like voter ID, this did not give them the boost that they hoped for.
    Postal votes are sent to voters overseas. I am registered for one for this general election. There was a bit of a fuss about postal votes for the 2017GE being posted too late for overseas voters to return them, because local election officials were caught unawares by the calling of a snap election, but I was prompted to renew my postal vote registration earlier this year (because it automatically lapses every year).
  • Options

Might stop us winning Keighley. That, and the closure of the council recycling centre in Ilkley meaning that the well-healed residents have to come over the moor to dump their rubbish. Could be a surprise Tory hold?
    I'm not very familiar with that part of the world and it's not one I'd heard about on the grapevine so I'll watch with interest!
  • Options

I haven't decided who to vote for, except it probably won't be one of the two main parties.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,947
    Nunu5 said:

Maybe because Labour doesn't plan to shut down UK oil and gas?
    No new licences, but current production will continue.
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 1,000

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

The irony.

The government web page https://www.gov.uk/voting-when-abroad says that registered overseas voters can vote by post if they want to (unless they're registered to vote in Northern Ireland). Of course you need to be living somewhere where you can trust that the postal system out and back is fast enough to meet the necessary deadlines...
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,794
    Does 3.15 on Biden with bf make any sense to anyone - it makes no sense to me. MAGA money on the other side of the bet? Or what am I missing? I've topped up.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Does 3.15 on Biden with bf make any sense to anyone - it makes no sense to me. MAGA money on the other side of the bet? Or what am I missing? I've topped up.

There were 'rumours' he's being replaced on the ticket in Congress. Probably a reflection of that
  • Options

If you want Labour to win (which you say you do), it's obvious. Nothing would guarantee a late Tory surge better than: "See, we told you, Labour is going to tax you out of your home through massive hikes in council tax".
    Patience is a virtue at this stage in the game.
  • Options

Nunu5 said:

The thing is, that might well mean a faster shutdown than running the existing leases to end. As production tails off, as leases run out, it may well become uneconomic earlier than the physical end. So even with some leases with time to run, close down a whole section.
  • Options
    On the disappearance of the Chinese internet.

Goldfish Memories by He Jiyan
    https://bruces.medium.com/goldfish-memories-by-he-jiyan-d11e6888bac6
    *Machine-translated from a Chinese webpost on the Internet Archive, because this post was almost immediately censored and obliterated in China. It appeared (and disappeared) in May 2024.

..Let me ask you a little question first:
    If we search for the word “Jack Ma” on Baidu and set the time from 1998 to 2005, how many pieces of information can we find? Is it 100 million, 10 million, or 1 million?
    ...Using Baidu search, the selected date range is “May 22, 1998 to May 22, 2005”, which contains information about Jack Ma. There is a total of 1 piece (data on May 22, 2024).

...If something is important to us and it is dying, is there anything we can do to save it?
    Someone has made such an attempt. There is a website in the United States called “Internet Archive”, which is translated into Chinese as “Internet Archive”, which saves many original web pages. But I tried it, and found that very few of the original Chinese web pages were saved, and it was very troublesome to use. The search function was very primitive and inefficient, almost as if it had not been saved...
  • Options
    ajbajb Posts: 130

Doubt it. I have first hand info that the conscription wheeze resulted in near 100% student electoral registration and postal ballot application where needed.
    That sounds impressive, but I guess by "first hand", you mean "anecdotal"?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,755
    edited June 17

Heathener said:

BigG is not the only righteous person I know who is using Reform as an excuse to vote Conservative. Anecdata, but I have placed a few bets on this basis.

The Tory vote share will swell as some people come home, and will perhaps be even higher if lots of people saying they will vote Reform and Green does not bother to vote in the end. High 20s. Perhaps even 30s in a ultra low turnout election. A pure guess but my bets will keep things interesting if the exit poll turns out to be an anti-climax.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Divine right of Popes?

The UN is a club for countries. It doesn’t define the existence of states.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,733
    edited June 17
    kjh said:

Potentially a very odd situation (although my own view is we'll not even be close to it).

The legislation says party with most MPs in opposition, so I believe that means taking the whip. That would mean Scottish Tories and Lib Dems would fairly clearly be included in their respective parties but DUP and Alliance would not.

But that's just a snapshot in time. It would also bring party discipline and suspensions into play. It's been increasingly common, where there are significant allegations, for MPs to have the whip administratively suspended pending investigation.

I wonder whether the Speaker may take a view that the largest party at the start of the parliamentary session will be Official Opposition throughout it? It would provide stability, and a lot rides on it including salaries, Short money etc - it'd be potentially chaotic if the position depended on a suspension of the whip, a death, a by-election etc.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Divine right of Popes?

The UN is a club for countries. It doesn’t define the existence of states.
    It was meant to be a humourous aside but worth noting that Vatican City State is not a UN member.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,192

The Council Tax banding isn't very important in all honesty. Yes, we could add a few new bands at the top and make some money for the providers of Council Tax collection and administration software and employ additional Council Tax revenue and collection staff.

That isn't really the point - the whole basis of funding local Govenrment needs to be re-thought, a root and branch review of what's done, why it's done and how it's paid for.

When you have a situation where Child and Adult Social Care is swallowing up to two thirds of the whole budget for some counties, something has gone drastically wrong.

The Conservatives have, to their utter shame, completely failed, despite promises, to address this in their period in Government and we must now hope Labour has to do the dirty work (so to speak).

The whole range of issues needs addressing - residential care, specialist care, dementia care, domiciliary care, SEN - the whole thing is a mess and needs a root and branch review and rethink.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Or Clinton at 80/1 ?
    Should surely be more like 800/1.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,486

Nunu5 said:

The thing is, that might well mean a faster shutdown than running the existing leases to end. As production tails off, as leases run out, it may well become uneconomic earlier than the physical end. So even with some leases with time to run, close down a whole section.
    Indeed.

Once the ratio of overhead to output starts rising things can quickly become uneconomic.

Especially when there's no future to invest in and when the possibility of windfall taxes is always high.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,927
    edited June 17
    kjh said:

Thanks for all the responses to my question above. Appreciated. Also encouraging to know it wasn't a daft question. I suspect reading your responses it would be down to whether the Alliance party take the LD whip. In the past they haven't, but then there was no reason to do so, so it might be different if it mattered. They do take the LD whip in the House of Lords which is interesting.

Also what I didn't realise is there is a Liberal Democrat party in Northern Island. They don't stand candidates but support the Alliance and several key people are members of both parties.

I love PB because I learn stuff everyday, even if it only encouraged me to look myself.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,417

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    4m
    Swing since last election: Con->Lab 16%
    So any seat with Con majority over Lab of up to 32% is vulnerable on uniform swing

https://x.com/JohnRentoul?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author
  • Options

Good to hear that the residents are well-healed. The NHS is clearly performing well. :)
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,192
    In terms of Labour performance in my neck of the woods, I expect the vote share to fall perhaps to below 70% and I expect the Conservative vote to fall sharply as well.

The "winners" (in East Ham at any rate) will be the Greens and the Newham Independents and I could see one or other snatching second from the Conservatives but it's more lucky they'll be just behind the Conservative.

In West Ham & Beckton I expect the Newham Independent candidate to finish second - Stratford & Bow is harder to call, the Green will do well in Stratford but Bow will be stronger for the pro-Gaza Independent.
  • Options
    David Miliband has been pictured campaigning for Labour in a marginal Tory seat, in a move that will prompt speculation about a future role in the party

https://x.com/TelePolitics/status/1802627754451509275

Get him back.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,794
    edited June 17
    Andy_JS said:

I haven't decided who to vote for, except it probably won't be one of the two main parties.
    Andy, of all the posters on here you are probably the closest to me. Even down to the links you post from Dalrymple, Meades, Sumption etc etc. It's spooky sometimes.

As liberals who fear collectivism more than conservatism Labour is ruled out (obvs). I dislike the idiotic simplicity and appeal to ignorance of populism so Reform is out. Speaking personally, I've fallen out with the LibDems who have become unhinged from liberalism so they are out. The Greens are even more batshit than the worst on the Labour side so they are out. The SDP and (true) Liberal Party are not standing in my constituency.

So who does that leave? The Conservatives or Lord Buckethead (or some such). Or go to the booth and draw your best cock and balls sketch over the ballot paper.

Overall, I'm trying to ignore it and concentrate on my golf.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,417
    I see BBC radio 4 Today interviewed Farage yet again this morning.

Has he got his own office down at BBC HQ? Might as well have.
  • Options
    Also, Gretchen Whitmer at 200/1 vs Michelle Obama at 25/1 ...

What's the logic there ?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,953

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

The irony.

The first generation immigrant side of my family is upset with immigration as it is currently done.

In their view, they came here to be British, not to import their culture and demand the place turns into their home country. They came here because it *wasn't* Peru.
    Nothing wrong with importing other cultures as regards things like food, music, dress, language (in addition to English), leisure activities, sports affinities etc. In fact that's a good thing imo. You can have all that and at the same time be integrated in the important things - being full participation in the workplace and society generally, plus respect for the laws of the land.
  • Options
    pm215 said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

The irony.

The government web page https://www.gov.uk/voting-when-abroad says that registered overseas voters can vote by post if they want to (unless they're registered to vote in Northern Ireland). Of course you need to be living somewhere where you can trust that the postal system out and back is fast enough to meet the necessary deadlines...
    It's the Royal Mail that I'm worried about more than An Post. I sent a watch back to London for a repair last year and it took less than 36 hours to travel from rural Ireland to Britain, and another 15 days to reach its destination.