Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Unite the right – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,643
    The Euros aren't much better.
    Third and fourth games in the entire competition's history in which teams have scored three in the first half.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,614
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

TimS said:

Its not the super rich fleeing they want to worry about it is the middle giving up.

Personally I am part time now, which keeps me below £50k. Before I was stuffing huge amounts into Pension additional voluntary contributions. Don't mind paying 28% but damned if I will pay 70% marginal rate in tax and child benefit withrawals. So by trying to get 70% off me instead of 28% they get 0%.

There are similar things happening at £100k with childcare/personal allowance cliff.

The last two years have seen inflation matching benefit rises of 10% and 8% with tax allowances. on those working (and getting much lower pay rises) to pay for it.

So people are changing sides. A huge amount of those claiming working age sickness benefits are for conditions with a subjective diagnosis (backache/mental health condition). Only 16% were turned down.

Do I blame them. No. If I had no qualifications and rented and the choice was go on the sick, get my rent paid, get a stipend, get cost of living payments, get 75% of council tax paid, pay social utility rates, get a free mobility car...

...or get an unpleasant McJob that involved being treated poorly and unsocial night shifts and having 25% more cash at the end of it if I was lucky, I'm not sure I wouldn't do the same (that is before taking into account cash in hand receipts for the former).

So tax and benefit rises are already turning net contributors into net receivers. More of the same from Labour is the path to Bankruptcy

Latest in the familiar genre of “the Tories have made things shit. So you’d better not vote Labour because they might ruin it”.
    Quite the opposite. I am explaining why they are going to get the drubbing of their lives and are behind Farages lot.

However, if Labour double down on it and increase benefits and taxes further, they will go the same way in 2029. They are going to have tu implement almost Dickensian reform if they want a second term.
    As I have been at pains to point out, historically if Labour do achieve a 150+ seat majority they won’t be leaving office for at least 9 years, or 10 if they go full two terms.

The right can try to console itself over what is happening but it’s flight reaction from the reality of the present situation.
    Historical precedents won't apply because of the way the parties are realigning. It doesn't take much of a swing to go from this to NOM, and then it doesn't take much more movement before Labour are going the same way as the Tories and the Lib Dems and Reform or its successor dominate the political map.

If the current trends continue, a result like this isn't out of the question, however it would only take a swing of a further 2% to Reform to wipe out the Labour majority entirely so it would be very volatile.

Yes but those are just made up figures, and even those have a Labour majority!
    The point is to illustrate that not all big majorities are equal. One achieved like that would leave Labour vulnerable to very small swings.
    It's not going to happen, but you could make a fortune on the Spreads by buying Reform if you really believed it.

I think it quite likely that they won't win a single seat.
    Has the possibility been discussed on here of Reform winning 2 or 3 seats but Nigel Farage isn’t one of them?
    I think that very possible. Not only do many Tories dislike Farage, in Clacton there is a very obvious Stop Farage Candidate. It's the only seat in the UK where I would vote Conservative, and I am not the only one thinking that.

Even in 2015 at the height of UKIP mania, Carswell had only a modest majority and was well known locally as a constituency MP. Now Watling has that advantage.
    Thanks Foxy.

I will watch this one with interest.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,374
    Leon said:

TimS said:

When Boris won a large majority in 2019 he was squatting like a toad over British politics and commencing a thousand year reign. If Starmer wins a similar majority this time he’ll be presiding over a castle built of sand.

Either pundits have learned from the last 5 years, or they are exhibiting their own unconscious biases about “the natural party of government” vs “the other party”.

Robert Peston is making the very same analysis however

“It is all very well for Starmer to set expectations relatively low for what a Labour government could achieve in the short term. But he is telling British people he represents “change”, which does not sound modest.

If in fact Starmer delivers more of the same, his apotheosis may be just as short as Johnson’s.”

https://x.com/peston/status/1801914360706564255?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
    But I thought the general principle here was that Peston analysis wasn't always very good?

On the substantive point, the Conservative victory in 2019 really ought to have been big enough to see them through two terms. All they had to do was not stuff up too badly. Unfortunately, stuffing up badly was exactly what they have done. At many times, in many ways and on a scale that the most creative satirist couldn't invent. With the consequences now beginning to play out. (I think we can say that, if postal votes have started to go out, voting has begun.)

That is what should haunt the entire British centre-right. What's happening to them is very largely self-inflicted. Not entirely- there was Covid, there is Ukraine. But the rest of it is the "Find Out" phase of FAFO.

Now it's possible that Boring Old Starmer will stuff up to a similar degree. But ask yourself- is it likely?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,046
    kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Its not the super rich fleeing they want to worry about it is the middle giving up.

Personally I am part time now, which keeps me below £50k. Before I was stuffing huge amounts into Pension additional voluntary contributions. Don't mind paying 28% but damned if I will pay 70% marginal rate in tax and child benefit withrawals. So by trying to get 70% off me instead of 28% they get 0%.

There are similar things happening at £100k with childcare/personal allowance cliff.

The last two years have seen inflation matching benefit rises of 10% and 8% with tax allowances. on those working (and getting much lower pay rises) to pay for it.

So people are changing sides. A huge amount of those claiming working age sickness benefits are for conditions with a subjective diagnosis (backache/mental health condition). Only 16% were turned down.

Do I blame them. No. If I had no qualifications and rented and the choice was go on the sick, get my rent paid, get a stipend, get cost of living payments, get 75% of council tax paid, pay social utility rates, get a free mobility car...

...or get an unpleasant McJob that involved being treated poorly and unsocial night shifts and having 25% more cash at the end of it if I was lucky, I'm not sure I wouldn't do the same (that is before taking into account cash in hand receipts for the former).

So tax and benefit rises are already turning net contributors into net receivers. More of the same from Labour is the path to Bankruptcy

This has been the most amazing thing about a Tory government. What the core problem with UK PLC, productivity, what things have Tories done...reduced CGT threshold and entrepreneurial relief on CGT from first business sale, introduce pension pot limit on tax relief, NI rises, introduced new NI++, and continued £50k cliff edge, £100k cliff edge,.....all great for growth and improved productivity, not.
    Indeed, and the expectation for a Labour government would be to make every one of those worse.
    We heard a lof talk of people moving abroad in the run up to 1997 too. Its a familiar scare story that the right wing parties like to run.

Anyone who did missed out on a long period of economic growth with taxes unchanged, at least until the aftermath of the GFC.

Worth noting too that under Conservative plans tax take goes up every year of the next parliament.
    In 1997 nobody was talking about doubling taxes on capital at the next budget.

Imagine if it was mooted -and not denied- that the higher rate of income tax was going to go from 40% this year to 80% next. It might cause some consternation.

I might even stick around to pay 25% cgt. But 20% to 40% overnight makes it makes it worth my while to get out. And I'm only a poor wage slave with a mil or two as an investment portfolio. The calculation becomes even more obvious for the uber-rich.
    Why isn't it in a SIPP or ISA, thereby exempt from CGT?

And why realise the entire gain in one year, rather than sell it off bit by bit? To have made a CG of £1,500,000 it must have been an even bigger capital sum originally.

I would like to see the CGT allowance that has been heavily cut by the Tories restored, and for there to be taper relief to allow for inflation. Only real terms CG should be taxable.

I have a sum in CG taxable investments, but have been revaluing the portfolio regularly and paying CGT on the gain annually. Wasn't this an option for you? Indeed couldn't you do it now in this tax year?
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,278
    dixiedean said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Yet another match cancelled in the T20 WC. What an omnishambles.

Would never happen in England in June.
    We haven't had any word of a delayed toss, but with the covers on it seems unlikely we'll start on time.
    The guardian live blog is saying toss is delayed and there will be showers through the day so it will be a bit on/off.
    If England go out only having two completed matches, then it’s an absolute joke.
    It’s not exactly ideal when trying to break a new market and the whole competition loses matches, results and teams because they can’t consider extra rain days or play the tournament in a dry season or dry areas.
    In addition to this.
    The groups are too small.
    4 games isn't enough for T20.
    Going out because of rain is awful. Makes cricket, the finest of sports, look silly.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,561
    kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

This has been the most amazing thing about a Tory government. What the core problem with UK PLC, productivity, what things have Tories done...reduced CGT threshold and entrepreneurial relief on CGT from first business sale, introduce pension pot limit on tax relief, NI rises, introduced new NI++, and continued £50k cliff edge, £100k cliff edge,.....all great for growth and improved productivity, not.
    Indeed, and the expectation for a Labour government would be to make every one of those worse.
    We heard a lof talk of people moving abroad in the run up to 1997 too. Its a familiar scare story that the right wing parties like to run.

Anyone who did missed out on a long period of economic growth with taxes unchanged, at least until the aftermath of the GFC.

Worth noting too that under Conservative plans tax take goes up every year of the next parliament.

Imagine if it was mooted -and not denied- that the higher rate of income tax was going to go from 40% this year to 80% next. It might cause some consternation.

I might even stick around to pay 25% cgt. But 20% to 40% overnight makes it makes it worth my while to get out. And I'm only a poor wage slave with a mil or two as an investment portfolio. The calculation becomes even more obvious for the uber-rich.
    At that sort of level why are you reliant on realising CGT? Pensions, ISAs, VCT, EIS and SEIS should give plenty of scope to live a comfortable middle class lifestlyle without actually paying regular CGT.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,865
    kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Why would you need to realise your capital gains now anyway?

Differential CGT and income tax rates drive serious behavioural distortions in the economy, something Lawson understood when he equalised the rates in the 80s. Even after equalisation there is no NI so it remains beneficial relative to income.

I think one sensible option would be to equalise the rates but I cease the annual exempt amount.

Actually a clever option would be to raise immediately to 30% then pre-announce a further rise to equal income tax. That would trigger a huge surge in realisations, a big injection of cash into the treasury that could be spent on some immediate priorities. A bit like Brown’s 3G auction windfall.
  • Options

Tres said:

Is there anything more bellend-ish than boasting about your income?

boasting about how much tax you've paid
    It's quite remarkable how many Gazillionaires we have on PB, but no sink estate single mums or dads on benefits.
    Lots of dads on benefits on here. They even think they paid for them with their "stamp", bless.

Not sure political betting has ever been popular with sink estate single mums.

Do you mean Child Benefit?

If so guilty as charged, but so long as I pay more income tax than I get child benefit, it is a defacto tax allowance, as it was de jure until the 74-79 Labour government changed it.

Osbornes higher rate tax charge on Child Benefit is one major reason that 2015 was the only election other than 1997 I didn't vote Conservative.

This election will be the third (been voting since 87 GE).
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,068
    Disappointing that Spain vs Croatia is already another blow out.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,717

Leon said:

TimS said:

When Boris won a large majority in 2019 he was squatting like a toad over British politics and commencing a thousand year reign. If Starmer wins a similar majority this time he’ll be presiding over a castle built of sand.

Either pundits have learned from the last 5 years, or they are exhibiting their own unconscious biases about “the natural party of government” vs “the other party”.

“It is all very well for Starmer to set expectations relatively low for what a Labour government could achieve in the short term. But he is telling British people he represents “change”, which does not sound modest.

If in fact Starmer delivers more of the same, his apotheosis may be just as short as Johnson’s.”

But I thought the general principle here was that Peston analysis wasn't always very good?

On the substantive point, the Conservative victory in 2019 really ought to have been big enough to see them through two terms. All they had to do was not stuff up too badly. Unfortunately, stuffing up badly was exactly what they have done. At many times, in many ways and on a scale that the most creative satirist couldn't invent. With the consequences now beginning to play out. (I think we can say that, if postal votes have started to go out, voting has begun.)

That is what should haunt the entire British centre-right. What's happening to them is very largely self-inflicted. Not entirely- there was Covid, there is Ukraine. But the rest of it is the "Find Out" phase of FAFO.

Now it's possible that Boring Old Starmer will stuff up to a similar degree. But ask yourself- is it likely?
    “ there was Covid, there is Ukraine”

Not exactly small matters - the worst outside factors to hit the country since WW2 would have hammered whoever was in government.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,289

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

TimS said:

Latest in the familiar genre of “the Tories have made things shit. So you’d better not vote Labour because they might ruin it”.
    Quite the opposite. I am explaining why they are going to get the drubbing of their lives and are behind Farages lot.

However, if Labour double down on it and increase benefits and taxes further, they will go the same way in 2029. They are going to have tu implement almost Dickensian reform if they want a second term.
    As I have been at pains to point out, historically if Labour do achieve a 150+ seat majority they won’t be leaving office for at least 9 years, or 10 if they go full two terms.

The right can try to console itself over what is happening but it’s flight reaction from the reality of the present situation.
    Historical precedents won't apply because of the way the parties are realigning. It doesn't take much of a swing to go from this to NOM, and then it doesn't take much more movement before Labour are going the same way as the Tories and the Lib Dems and Reform or its successor dominate the political map.

If the current trends continue, a result like this isn't out of the question, however it would only take a swing of a further 2% to Reform to wipe out the Labour majority entirely so it would be very volatile.

The point is to illustrate that not all big majorities are equal. One achieved like that would leave Labour vulnerable to very small swings.
    But, it's a point that many on here don't want to engage with.
    I think most of us know that as a matter of maths in a two party state of 50,000,000 voter with 650 seats it is possible to win all 650 by getting 650 more votes nationally than the other side. It is also possible to get 650 more votes than the other side and lose all but one of them as well.

Between that and one party getting all the votes and all the seats is every possible vulnerability of outcome. We are engaged.
  • Options

Leon said:

TimS said:

Not really. Johnson, Truss and Sunak had visible character flaws that led to the imminent loss of their majority.

I don't see that same potential in Starmer and Reeves. Excessive caution initially to reassure markets might frustrate voters, but voters desperate for improved public services are not going to flip Tory or Reform.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,296
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

kyf_100 said:

Nigelb said:

Starmer rules out CGT on primary residences for the duration of the next parliament.

But not CGT from other avenues.
    Indeed. It's rather obvious at this point they are coming for capital gains in a big way. Canada did similar earlier this year, and is already seeing capital flight.

Fpt my story is fairly simple, I used to be on a high income, paying 40% on that and investing about half my net PAYE pay. Over the last decade I've accumulated seven figures in unrealised gains.

Let's assume 1,000,000 exactly for a quick calculation. At current rates that's 200k tax. Which is doable. At 40% that becomes 400k in tax. Which to avoid, you have to leave the UK for 5 years after making the disposal (preferably in a 0% jurisdiction such as Dubai.)

So the choice is to pay HMRC 400k, or spend, say, 200k on a nice 5 year holiday backpacking round the far east, and still being up 200k more than if remaining in the UK. From a personal perspective it really is a no brainer and I imagine most would be exploring the same options I currently am.

Capital is mobile, and tbh I'd rather pay a reasonable amount. Cgt at 40%+ would be one of the most punitive tax regimes in the world and a lot of people with more than a million or two in gains - think successful entrepreneurs cashing out of their businesses - will be making the same calculation.
    but most people have no capital gains to tax. It's like the parent's crying about VAT on private school, not enough of you to matter.
    The top 1% of Britons in income pay 30% of the tax. I believe. Be very careful what you wish for
    How much of the income do they get?
    It doesn’t matter if half of them fuck off. Suddenly you’ve got an ENORMOUS hole in already stretched HMG finances, and Britain is bankrupt. Bravo
    I tired of rich people holding the country hostage. I say, tax them more. I'm willing to bet most of them stay put. Most people have friends and family and lives here. Uprooting your life is a huge time and emotional cost. It most cases it won't be worth the trouble. I say, bring it on.
    So Britain will be able to rely on the taxes you pay, as a failed writer living on his own in a bed sit in Aberdeen shouting incoherently at motorcycles. That’s at least £6.87 a year. Should cover the NHS, no problem
    Being a failed writer is a hobby. I've never sought any income for my failed writings.
    For actual work I'm a failed project manager. I manage failing projects or I take on well-run projects and cause them to fail. For this, I'm suitably rewarded. My total tax paid to the government last year was probably well into double figures.

If you have a failing project you'd like me to manage, please get in touch. my rates are surprisingly reasonable.
    To be fair, quite funny.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,933
    edited June 15
    biggles said:

dixiedean said:

boulay said:

boulay said:

Yet another match cancelled in the T20 WC. What an omnishambles.

Would never happen in England in June.
    We haven't had any word of a delayed toss, but with the covers on it seems unlikely we'll start on time.
    The guardian live blog is saying toss is delayed and there will be showers through the day so it will be a bit on/off.
    If England go out only having two completed matches, then it’s an absolute joke.
    It’s not exactly ideal when trying to break a new market and the whole competition loses matches, results and teams because they can’t consider extra rain days or play the tournament in a dry season or dry areas.
    In addition to this.
    The groups are too small.
    4 games isn't enough for T20.
    Going out because of rain is awful. Makes cricket, the finest of sports, look silly.
    The sensible thing is to book a couple of optional extra days in one of the stadia at the end of the knockout stages. Into which a previously-cancelled match can be inserted.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Not exactly small matters - the worst outside factors to hit the country since WW2 would have hammered whoever was in government.
    True, but look at the things that hammered the Conservative ratings. Johnson's Triple Scandal and the Trusstershambles.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,074
    edited June 15

Leon said:

TimS said:

Many people have noted that this election could see the decline of the Tories similar to the decline of the Liberals in the 1920s.
    There is a parallel in that 2019 could be seen as a "coupon" election (as in 1918) with the sitting Tory MPs getting the "Brexit" coupon then from Brexit/Reform. And now Farage has kicked that crutch away.
  • Options
    Big_IanBig_Ian Posts: 63
    algarkirk said:

TimS said:

Starmer has a realistic chance of not being a castle of sand. This would take very high quality leadership, greater honesty and quality of explanation to the public about what government is about and up to, visible competence and humility, consistency, and a decent balance in the party of unity and discipline along with actual discussion and diversity.

It's a small though real chance. The nature of internal party politics, the media and the great British public would all indicate against it. I think he will give it a go; which is why this Tory is voting for him.
    When Boris as squatting like a toad, turns out he was teabagging the lot of us. I don't imagine Starmer will do that.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,947
    edited June 15

Yes, the woodlice like @OllyT @Tres @murali_s and @Northern_Al crawling out from under their decomposing logs to cry class war over it, and express schadenfreude at anyone affected.
    Thanks. I usually get ignored on here; all publicity is good.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,679
    Yougov are asking the wrong question; how many Tories would vote Reform if they thought it had a chance of winning might be a better choice. Tactical voting is going to be an issue for the right at this election.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Ukraine hasn't hurt the Government.

Johnson was too weak to see through his original Covid policy, which was much the same as Sweden's highly successful policy. As soon as he caved and locked down he handed the pass to the big state enthusiasts.

He didn't even believe in it himself, which is how he was upended for not following it.

Thatcher would not have countenanced the unfortunate residents of poky inner city flats being under house arrest in them for 23 hours a day. Unlike Sunak and Johnson she did not grow up in a wealthy household.

But it was ultimately weakness that has been Johnsons Downfall and with it, this government, his instincts were right, but he didn't have the courage to see them through.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,392
    edited June 15
    We haven't seen much of Yvette in this campaign have we? I wonder if Reform are putting pressure on in Pontefract? Or have I just missed her presence on the trail?
  • Options

Leon said:

TimS said:

Many people have noted that this election could see the decline of the Tories similar to the decline of the Liberals in the 1920s.
    There is a parallel in that 2019 could be seen as a "coupon" election (as in 1918) with the sitting Tory MPs getting the "Brexit" coupon then from Brexit/Reform. And now Farage has kicked that crutch away.
    The big difference in the demise of the liberals was the massive expansion of suffrage, first to people without property, then to women. The first - essentially the enfranchisement of the working class, made the demise of one if the main parties and the rise of a workers’ party inevitable. And it was inevitably the Liberals because they occupied the left of centre ground that Labour would eat up.

There’s no such change in enfranchisement now. There are demographic changes that lead to shifts, but they are slow enough for the duopoly to react.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,375
    TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Differential CGT and income tax rates drive serious behavioural distortions in the economy, something Lawson understood when he equalised the rates in the 80s. Even after equalisation there is no NI so it remains beneficial relative to income.

I think one sensible option would be to equalise the rates but I cease the annual exempt amount.

Actually a clever option would be to raise immediately to 30% then pre-announce a further rise to equal income tax. That would trigger a huge surge in realisations, a big injection of cash into the treasury that could be spent on some immediate priorities. A bit like Brown’s 3G auction windfall.
    For me, it's having a completely unbalanced portfolio. Imagine investing 50k in 5 different stocks in 2014, and one of them is now worth well over a mil, while the others still amount for less than 10% of your portfolio combined.

Without doxxing myself, as I've said earlier, a 10k investment in NVDA in 2014 would be worth over 1m today. Would you want your entire portfolio hingeing on its success?

I'm happy to pay 20% on that to rebalance, once you hit 40% it's in my interest to become a grumpy gammon tax exile. I'd rather pay the 20%.
  • Options

boulay said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

True, but look at the things that hammered the Conservative ratings. Johnson's Triple Scandal and the Trusstershambles.
    If the country hadn’t been in a financial mess from Covid/Ukraine those events might have turned out differently. For example we don’t know if the events of Johnson’s scandals would have happened if Covid hadn’t happened (no parties for starters). I’m sure he would have got into a pickle somehow but if Covid hadn’t happened maybe levelling up and big projects favoured by Boris might have actually happened.

If these things changed then we either don’t have Boris having to quit or a different candidate to Truss and Sunak in the run-off as the country is in good economic shape.

If Ukraine doesn’t happen but Covid does then there is extra time to repay Covid costs and get back on track but the gov is having to spend a fortune on energy help and being blamed for massive inflation.

So Covid but no Ukraine then even if Sunak is PM somehow he has a hell of a lot more room for spending or tax cuts.

I hope to god we don’t get another Covid or Ukraine within months of Starmer taking over but if it did it would derail his plans and the medicine would set the country back again just as things start to get vaguely stable.
  • Options
    It's raining again...We're not due another update from the umpires until 19:00 BST.

Meanwhile we won't start losing overs from the game until 19:30.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,663
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

TimS said:

It's not going to happen, but you could make a fortune on the Spreads by buying Reform if you really believed it.

I think it quite likely that they won't win a single seat.
    Has the possibility been discussed on here of Reform winning 2 or 3 seats but Nigel Farage isn’t one of them?
    I think that very possible. Not only do many Tories dislike Farage, in Clacton there is a very obvious Stop Farage Candidate. It's the only seat in the UK where I would vote Conservative, and I am not the only one thinking that.

Even in 2015 at the height of UKIP mania, Carswell had only a modest majority and was well known locally as a constituency MP. Now Watling has that advantage.
    Yes, that was my thought. Carswell got half the Conservative vote, IIRC. Others were pretty much unchanged.

Also, when Carswell joined UKIP, he bought a number of organisers with him from the local party. Which meant he ran a well managed, GOTV campaign.

Farage has never, I believe, put together such an organisation. Which is a reason why his attempts at elective politics have failed.

George Galloway has, which is why he has succeeded several times at his ventures in politics.
  • Options

Yes, the woodlice like @OllyT @Tres @murali_s and @Northern_Al crawling out from under their decomposing logs to cry class war over it, and express schadenfreude at anyone affected.
    Thanks. I usually get ignored on here; all publicity is good.
    Well, maybe there's a lesson there.

Consider it a one-off from my PoV.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

For me, it's having a completely unbalanced portfolio. Imagine investing 50k in 5 different stocks in 2014, and one of them is now worth well over a mil, while the others still amount for less than 10% of your portfolio combined.

Without doxxing myself, as I've said earlier, a 10k investment in NVDA in 2014 would be worth over 1m today. Would you want your entire portfolio hingeing on its success?

I'm happy to pay 20% on that to rebalance, once you hit 40% it's in my interest to become a grumpy gammon tax exile. I'd rather pay the 20%.
    It doesn't matter what you say.

As far as the class warriors are concerned you have more than they do, and therefore any level of tax is justified on you.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

The voting public are weird but not all fools. With a government full of honesty, humility, competence and transparency the stuff that happens from outside - pandemics, wars - however awful is explained and dealt with, and national leaders act in a way consistent with their duties.

SFAICS there has been no rejection of the government on its handling of Ukraine. But the decent things they did over Covid have been completely obscured by the rest of the shameful stuff.
  • Options
    edited June 15

boulay said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Johnson was too weak to see through his original Covid policy, which was much the same as Sweden's highly successful policy. As soon as he caved and locked down he handed the pass to the big state enthusiasts.

He didn't even believe in it himself, which is how he was upended for not following it.

Thatcher would not have countenanced the unfortunate residents of poky inner city flats being under house arrest in them for 23 hours a day. Unlike Sunak and Johnson she did not grow up in a wealthy household.

But it was ultimately weakness that has been Johnsons Downfall and with it, this government, his instincts were right, but he didn't have the courage to see them through.
    I don’t blame him for this. Nobody had experienced a pandemic before. We oscillated between fear and complacency.

I went from “lockdown now” in March 2020 to “give this nonsense a rest” by spring 2021. But many of Johnson’s most loyal voters, the over 70s, were still favouring things like permanently banning nightclubs in polls in 2022.

Thatcher’s initial response to the AIDS epidemic suggests we shouldn’t be too sure how she would have reacted to Covid.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,414
    I see the Farage Broadcasting Company is at it again.
  • Options

Voters find Starmer’s Labour more patriotic than Tories

Rishi Sunak was scored second lowest in a list of politicians when it came to perceptions about patriotism

Voters think that Sir Keir Starmer’s Labour Party is more proud to be British than the Conservatives under Rishi Sunak, polling has found ahead of the general election.

Mr Sunak was scored second lowest in a list of politicians when it came to perceptions about patriotism, with only Jeremy Corbyn viewed as less patriotic than the Prime Minister.

The research by the UCL Policy Lab and the More in Common think tank also found that the public think that politicians are less patriotic today than they used to be.

Last week, More in Common polled 2,037 adults in Great Britain on the subject of patriotism.

Respondents were asked to think about a number of political parties under various recent leaders and “to what extent would you say they are proud or embarrassed to be British”.

Two in five (40 per cent) thought that the Labour Party under Sir Keir is proud to be British, with 13 per cent thinking it is embarrassed.

For the Conservatives under Mr Sunak, 24 per cent felt that the party is proud to be British, with 28 per cent believing the Tories under his leadership are embarrassed to be British.

The Tories under Mr Sunak also scored below the Conservative Party under Boris Johnson, and Reform UK under Nigel Farage.

Thirty-six per cent said that Reform under Mr Farage was proud to be British, with 21 per cent believing them to be embarrassed. Thirty one per cent felt the Tories under Mr Johnson were proud to be British, compared to to the same amount who thought the party was embarrassed to be British.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/06/15/voters-find-starmers-labour-more-patriotic-than-tories/

Even before DDgate many on the right including Rishi have a very weird concept of patriotism at the moment. The UK is simultaneously an overly woke, lazy, crime ridden cesspit full of people who don't even speak proper and also the best place to live in the world. If anyone else than them says a word against the country they are a traitor.

It is most confusing to many of us.
    I think we're just at a place where Rishi and the Tories would clearly lose any and all sorts of match-ups to Labour, and its not measuring what we think it is.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,929
    @kyf_100
    I have a lot of sympathy with you even though I am in nothing like the same position.
    Not sure about this 5 year backpacking option. Surely you just would create ambiguous tax risks/liabilities wherever in the world you went, particularly in countries with not very advanced legal systems?
    Plus £200k could get eaten up pretty quickly in a global tax dispute if it involves accountants, consultants, lawyers and barristers in various different countries.
    I personally arrived at the view that amassing lots of money just creates lots of problems.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

As far as the class warriors are concerned you have more than they do, and therefore any level of tax is justified on you.
    Indeed.

I could have moved abroad to dodge the 20%, tbh, since by my own personal calculation it would be cheaper to live abroad for five years than to even pay the 20%. But I was happy to get my chequebook out and pay the 20% on my investments because I *am* lucky to be richer than most people, and I want to contribute.

But no amount is ever enough. So instead of picking up 300k-ish from me next year, the exchequer will get nowt.
  • Options

Rishi Sunak was scored second lowest in a list of politicians when it came to perceptions about patriotism

Voters think that Sir Keir Starmer’s Labour Party is more proud to be British than the Conservatives under Rishi Sunak, polling has found ahead of the general election.

Mr Sunak was scored second lowest in a list of politicians when it came to perceptions about patriotism, with only Jeremy Corbyn viewed as less patriotic than the Prime Minister.

The research by the UCL Policy Lab and the More in Common think tank also found that the public think that politicians are less patriotic today than they used to be.

Last week, More in Common polled 2,037 adults in Great Britain on the subject of patriotism.

Respondents were asked to think about a number of political parties under various recent leaders and “to what extent would you say they are proud or embarrassed to be British”.

Two in five (40 per cent) thought that the Labour Party under Sir Keir is proud to be British, with 13 per cent thinking it is embarrassed.

For the Conservatives under Mr Sunak, 24 per cent felt that the party is proud to be British, with 28 per cent believing the Tories under his leadership are embarrassed to be British.

The Tories under Mr Sunak also scored below the Conservative Party under Boris Johnson, and Reform UK under Nigel Farage.

Thirty-six per cent said that Reform under Mr Farage was proud to be British, with 21 per cent believing them to be embarrassed. Thirty one per cent felt the Tories under Mr Johnson were proud to be British, compared to to the same amount who thought the party was embarrassed to be British.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/06/15/voters-find-starmers-labour-more-patriotic-than-tories/

Even before DDgate many on the right including Rishi have a very weird concept of patriotism at the moment. The UK is simultaneously an overly woke, lazy, crime ridden cesspit full of people who don't even speak proper and also the best place to live in the world. If anyone else than them says a word against the country they are a traitor.

I think we're just at a place where Rishi and the Tories would clearly lose any and all sorts of match-ups to Labour, and its not measuring what we think it is.
    It's a bit like 'trust on issues' polling - it's just an artefact of VI with a bit of variance. One follows the other
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,942

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

kyf_100 said:

Nigelb said:

Starmer rules out CGT on primary residences for the duration of the next parliament.

Indeed. It's rather obvious at this point they are coming for capital gains in a big way. Canada did similar earlier this year, and is already seeing capital flight.

Fpt my story is fairly simple, I used to be on a high income, paying 40% on that and investing about half my net PAYE pay. Over the last decade I've accumulated seven figures in unrealised gains.

Let's assume 1,000,000 exactly for a quick calculation. At current rates that's 200k tax. Which is doable. At 40% that becomes 400k in tax. Which to avoid, you have to leave the UK for 5 years after making the disposal (preferably in a 0% jurisdiction such as Dubai.)

So the choice is to pay HMRC 400k, or spend, say, 200k on a nice 5 year holiday backpacking round the far east, and still being up 200k more than if remaining in the UK. From a personal perspective it really is a no brainer and I imagine most would be exploring the same options I currently am.

Capital is mobile, and tbh I'd rather pay a reasonable amount. Cgt at 40%+ would be one of the most punitive tax regimes in the world and a lot of people with more than a million or two in gains - think successful entrepreneurs cashing out of their businesses - will be making the same calculation.
    but most people have no capital gains to tax. It's like the parent's crying about VAT on private school, not enough of you to matter.
    The top 1% of Britons in income pay 30% of the tax. I believe. Be very careful what you wish for
    It doesn’t matter if half of them fuck off. Suddenly you’ve got an ENORMOUS hole in already stretched HMG finances, and Britain is bankrupt. Bravo
    I tired of rich people holding the country hostage. I say, tax them more. I'm willing to bet most of them stay put. Most people have friends and family and lives here. Uprooting your life is a huge time and emotional cost. It most cases it won't be worth the trouble. I say, bring it on.
    250k UK citizens have moved to Dubai in the last few years. Its happening already.
    Given that UK citizens emigrating is about 100k per year in total, you probably need to qualify "in the last few years".
    Er, in the last year 532,000 people emigrated from the UK

ONS:

“1.2 million people migrated into the UK and 532,000 people emigrated from it, leaving a net migration figure of 685,000. This represents the balance of long-term migrants moving in and out of the country.”

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn06077/
    Farroq said UK citizens.
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

kyf_100 said:

Nigelb said:

250k UK citizens have moved to Dubai in the last few years. Its happening already.
    Given that UK citizens emigrating is about 100k per year in total, you probably need to qualify "in the last few years".
    Er, in the last year 532,000 people emigrated from the UK

ONS:

“1.2 million people migrated into the UK and 532,000 people emigrated from it, leaving a net migration figure of 685,000. This represents the balance of long-term migrants moving in and out of the country.”

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn06077/
    Farroq said UK citizens.
    Exactly, and then because that's what FrancisUrquhart lead with. Just sticking to the terms of the conversation is apparently enough to make Leon dizzy and fall over.
    I don’t say you were wrong I was pointing out the absurdly narrow focus of your argument. On top of 100,000 uk emigrants 400,000 others left. Who were they? How many were long term residents who actually paid a lot of tax? And how many of the trillions of incomers are going to be a net drain on the treasury, instead?

I fear the details won’t be good for UK PLC
    The tax system is very harsh on writers who get big sums then very little for potentially years.

James Herriot's sons autobiography of him recounts how during the Labour 74-79 era he handed the vast majority of his book earnings to the treasury and attempted to contact the only other well earning writer who was still in the country only to find that he too had bolted.
    It was iirc George Osborne who put a stop to authors being able to spread their earnings over several years

p.s. be sure to pass this back to your masters in CCHQ
    Are you mad. I have already said that I will vote Reform (heart) or (God Help Me) Labour (head) to make sure the Tories lose in my seat. I am furious with them.

And I am not that new. Remember Brexit and the 6:1 bet the day before?
    Your ♥ surely cannot lie with Nigel Farage. Where's the romance in bad breath and obsessing about immigration?
    If Reform actually won the election I would be horrified. I suspect Farage would be too.
    Like Johnson after the EU referendum.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,477
    That poll in the DT is pretty astonishing given where Labour were under Corbyn .

Starmer whether you like him or not has done a very good job in changing the public’s view of Labour on the patriotism question.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,021
    The country needs entrepreneurs like @kyf_100.
    Taxing them into exile is not a solution.

We need to tax unproductive wealth.
    That essentially means property, and I say this as the owner of two in London.

Thankfully (for me personally) no government has the cojones to do that.
  • Options

It's a bit like 'trust on issues' polling - it's just an artefact of VI with a bit of variance. One follows the other
    Exactly.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,554

He was taking about having worked his socks off , saved diligently , invested wisely , already paid lots of tax and not being happy to be taxed on it yet again. Sounds more bellend-ish being envious of that.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,921

Not always.

Even in 2013/14 when the Tories were sinking in the polls Dave still led in quite a few metrics such as the NHS.
  • Options
    Tres said:

boasting about how much tax you've paid
    Never heard anyone boast , complain yes
  • Options
    Fact is.
    Somebody, somewhere is going to have to pay more tax.
    The cuts laughably projected by the Tories would mean whole sectors collapsing and Councils bankrupt and in breach of the Law by being unable to provide Statutory services.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

He was taking about having worked his socks off , saved diligently , invested wisely , already paid lots of tax and not being happy to be taxed on it yet again. Sounds more bellend-ish being envious of that.
    We're not an aspirational country anymore.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,942

boulay said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Brought down by pathological lying, though, wasn't he. Not by his Lockdown policy.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,127

There seems to be a bit of an air of f##k business / rich people creeping in. Haven't we already had enough of that over the past 5 years?

Tsk. Tax the rich, not fuck the rich. Maximising tax should be the aim. Better for rich people to pay than poor people and there are big bills to cover.

If some people go into tax exile you have probably set the rates correctly for maximum revenue. If everyone does, you need to think again.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,018
    dixiedean said:

Fact is.
    The cuts laughably projected by the Tories would mean whole sectors collapsing and Councils bankrupt and in breach of the Law by being unable to provide Statutory services.

Or:

- Individuals could take more responsibility. Some parents should be feeding their children better before school. Those who can afford it should take out private medical insurance. Ditto private sector education.

- The state bureaucratic machine could be more efficient. We are a very wealthy country and tax reciepts are high. A huge proportion of GDP.

- People should stop expecting others to provide for them. This especially applies to pensioners.
  • Options

New MRP polling by Survation for Best for Britain predicts the Conservatives could win just 72 seats.

Labour is projected to win a landslide of 456 seats, with a majority of 262.

The Liberal Democrats are set for 56 seats, Reform UK 7 and Greens 1.

Conservatives are set to lose seats in every region while Labour gains everywhere.

All seven of Reform UK’s gains were won by the Tories in 2019.

Conservatives have no “safe” seats, with majorities of less than 2 per cent in 19 of 72 constituencies.

Cabinet ministers Jeremy Hunt and Penny Mordaunt would lose seats.

Rishi Sunak, Suella Braverman, Liz Truss and Dame Priti Patel would keep theirs.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/politics/article/labour-landslide-could-leave-tories-with-just-72-seats-mrp-poll-finds-bxfqk38xs
  • Options

Sure, and its because they speak of a reality that a large percentage of the country just don't recognise. Their words and actions don't match.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

better problem to have than being broke mind you. Can you not just do it over time using ISA's , smaller sales.

• Options
    Mortimer said:

dixiedean said:

Fact is.

Or:

- Individuals could take more responsibility. Some parents should be feeding their children better before school. Those who can afford it should take out private medical insurance. Ditto private sector education.

- The state bureaucratic machine could be more efficient. We are a very wealthy country and tax reciepts are high. A huge proportion of GDP.

- People should stop expecting others to provide for them. This especially applies to pensioners.
    Are private healthcare policies and dental policies allowed to be deducted from tax in the UK?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,767
    TudorRose said:

Yougov are asking the wrong question; how many Tories would vote Reform if they thought it had a chance of winning might be a better choice. Tactical voting is going to be an issue for the right at this election.

How long before the Tories start backing proportional representation?
    They're already saying don't give Labour too big a majority.
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 407

kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

For all sorts of reasons just sell it now. 20% in a high int account till the tax man wants it. 80% in vwrl (or wait for the dip we are due by year end). If you want to go and play exile for 5 years you can spend 20% on that on the basis that it's money labour would have had off you if you hadn't sold. Your plan, you have the sword of D hanging over you that exile is less fun than you expected and the 5 year wait gets doubled to 10.

Not financial advice. Perish the thought.
  • Options
    edited June 15
    FF43 said:

There seems to be a bit of an air of f##k business / rich people creeping in. Haven't we already had enough of that over the past 5 years?

Tsk. Tax the rich, not fuck the rich. Maximising tax should be the aim. Better for rich people to pay than poor people and there are big bills to cover.

If some people go into tax exile you have probably set the rates correctly for maximum revenue. If everyone does, you need to think again.
    Perhaps we should ask why some in our wealthy country are so reliant upon the money of others?
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

I'd guess the average net worth of the people on this thread questioning it is in seven figures, and none of us are class warriors. Just think that there are loads of tax reliefs for investment.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,978

However angry you may be that does not give you the right to make abusive comments of that sort about people who see things differently to you. I am 75, very well-off (thankfully) and about as far from a "class warrior" as you are likely to get. It does you no credit whatsoever.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

FF43 said:

Perhaps we should ask why some in our wealthy country are so reliant upon the money of others?
    Many prefer the state to keep them.
  • Options
    edited June 15

Not always.

Even in 2013/14 when the Tories were sinking in the polls Dave still led in quite a few metrics such as the NHS.
    Lead was less pronounced though, so you'd expect some mix and match. But yes, I accept its not a hard and fast rule but generally you want who you intend to vote for to be better, else why vote for them
  • Options
    edited June 15
    boulay said:

Mortimer said:

dixiedean said:

Fact is.

Or:

Are private healthcare policies and dental policies allowed to be deducted from tax in the UK?
    I pay tax on the ones I have through my employer. So far breathing is about the only thing you don't pay tax on.
  • Options
    edited June 15
    darkage said:

@kyf_100
    I have a lot of sympathy with you even though I am in nothing like the same position.
    Not sure about this 5 year backpacking option. Surely you just would create ambiguous tax risks/liabilities wherever in the world you went, particularly in countries with not very advanced legal systems?
    Plus £200k could get eaten up pretty quickly in a global tax dispute if it involves accountants, consultants, lawyers and barristers in various different countries.
    I personally arrived at the view that amassing lots of money just creates lots of problems.

It's actually quite simple, tbh, with a bit of forward planning. The trick is to never remain in one place for long enough to become tax resident there (180 days is generally the number).

Two examples from my extended friendship circle -

1. A guy who works in oil and gas - never in the same country for long, and never stays in a single country for enough days to become tax resident there. A working class tradie who's done very well for himself, so not your typical "jet set, has to move every three months" type. He knows bugger all about tax, his accountant takes care of it all for him and ensures he never pays tax as he's never tax resident anywhere. A true citizen of nowhere!

2. A mate who set up a business as a spin-out from his PhD. His stake probs worth about five mil, give or take. Moved to dubai last year and established tax residence there before selling up his share in the company, saving him £1m on the sale. All he has to do is not live in the UK for 5 whole years - which is fairly easy to do when you've just sold a company for £5m. Even if he spends 100k living in Dubai a year, he's up 500k on where he would have been if he sold while UK tax resident. Now do that calculation at 40-45% CGT.

Most countries have a CGT of between 15 and 30%, and tbh, I think if you make 5m then it's a bit churlish to go dubai-bye to save yourself 500k (after cost of living abroad for 5 years taken into account). Saving $2m on the other hand...

The UK taxing capital gains as income would make it one of the most expensive countries in the world for entrepreneurs and investors, leading to inevitable capital flight.

• Options
    edited June 15
    kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

If you are rebalancing into other equities then it should be possible to get rollover relief on the gain.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,663
    Just in from a friend in the museum world.

The British Museum has caught several transgressors and banned them from their collections.

Their crime - they were caught creating catalogues of objects in their field of interest in the collections behind the scenes.

For this terrible crime they’ve been banned from having access.

No, they weren’t damaging anything or breaking any actual rules. Except, probably, embarrassing management.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,172
    I'm extremely wealthy and it's such a burden. Please reply with sympathy.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

dixiedean said:

Fact is.

Or:

Lots wasted on the feckless, nanny state, inefficiency and sheer incompetence.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

dixiedean said:

Fact is.

Or:

Well you could.
    But then don't spend 14 years piling more and more statutory requirements onto local authorities without any intention to, nor care for how they are to be funded.
    Stop moaning about the horrendous effects of lockdown on kids whilst refusing to pay anything at all to mitigate its effects.
    And make the political case for it. Cos right now that isn't where the country sits.
    14 years of dissembling and dishonesty have led us here.
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,593

We haven't seen much of Yvette in this campaign have we? I wonder if Reform are putting pressure on in Pontefract? Or have I just missed her presence on the trail?

Got a leaflet from her the other day, only one we’ve had so far. Reform will get something but I don’t think she’ll be too worried.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,449
    Farooq said:

I'm extremely wealthy and it's such a burden. Please reply with sympathy.

I've never paid CGT 😡
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,767

New MRP polling by Survation for Best for Britain predicts the Conservatives could win just 72 seats.

Conservatives are set to lose seats in every region while Labour gains everywhere.

Conservatives have no “safe” seats, with majorities of less than 2 per cent in 19 of 72 constituencies.

Rishi Sunak, Suella Braverman, Liz Truss and Dame Priti Patel would keep theirs.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/politics/article/labour-landslide-could-leave-tories-with-just-72-seats-mrp-poll-finds-bxfqk38xs

56 dangerously close to 72.
    Suella, Liz and Priti returned indicates a shift further to the right for the Tories.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,214

Reform are slowly creeping up in the MRP polls too.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,097
    Why am I getting 1992 vibes? Started this morning feeling this was a 2010 style election, albeit in the right direction, but ended even more pessimistic. Not sure. Just not getting the vibe, despite the polls.
  • Options
    edited June 15
    Its looking about as good for England in the cricket as the Tories in the GE.
  • Options

Any lead on what those 7 Reform seats are?
    I suspect best value me be on those.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,354

Leon said:

TimS said:

Yeah, Johnson had it all everything he needed to go on for 2 terms. Still can't believe he fucked it up so quickly.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,679

I think that's 1 more seat for the Tories than their last MRP and 30 less for Labour. LibDems seem to be the big winners with 13 more than the last poll.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,717

Anything of interest from behind the paywall?
  • Options

Anything of interest from behind the paywall?
    Rishi Sunak is still terrible at politics
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Mortimer said:

dixiedean said:

Fact is.

Or:

Well you could.
    But then don't spend 14 years piling more and more statutory requirements onto local authorities without any intention to, nor care for how they are to be funded.
    Stop moaning about the horrendous effects of lockdown on kids whilst refusing to pay anything at all to mitigate its effects.
    And make the political case for it. Cos right now that isn't where the country sits.
    14 years of dissembling and dishonesty have led us here.
    The govt have failed to make the argument for a smaller state and personal responsibility.

It should be to the utter shame of those in Govt.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

However angry you may be that does not give you the right to make abusive comments of that sort about people who see things differently to you. I am 75, very well-off (thankfully) and about as far from a "class warrior" as you are likely to get. It does you no credit whatsoever.
    Having also been on the receiving end I don’t really understand what happens with him. 75% of the time he’s amicable but 25% he’s vile to people. Like some switch just flicks and rage and abuse takes over.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

Do you have dates for the survey? Or anything more you can safely publish on here (it’s behind their paywall)
  • Options
    NovoNovo Posts: 57
    edited June 15

Momentum towards second party very much still with the LDs. I think they will do it with Ed Davey as LOTO.
  • Options
    edited June 15
    kyf_100 said:

darkage said:

@kyf_100

It's actually quite simple, tbh, with a bit of forward planning. The trick is to never remain in one place for long enough to become tax resident there (180 days is generally the number).

Two examples from my extended friendship circle -

1. A guy who works in oil and gas - never in the same country for long, and never stays in a single country for enough days to become tax resident there. A working class tradie who's done very well for himself, so not your typical "jet set, has to move every three months" type. He knows bugger all about tax, his accountant takes care of it all for him and ensures he never pays tax as he's never tax resident anywhere. A true citizen of nowhere!

2. A mate who set up a business as a spin-out from his PhD. His stake probs worth about five mil, give or take. Moved to dubai last year and established tax residence there before selling up his share in the company, saving him £1m on the sale. All he has to do is not live in the UK for 5 whole years - which is fairly easy to do when you've just sold a company for £5m. Even if he spends 100k living in Dubai a year, he's up 500k on where he would have been if he sold while UK tax resident. Now do that calculation at 40-45% CGT.

Most countries have a CGT of between 15 and 30%, and tbh, I think if you make 5m then it's a bit churlish to go dubai-bye to save yourself 500k (after cost of living abroad for 5 years taken into account). Saving $2m on the other hand...

The UK taxing capital gains as income would make it one of the most expensive countries in the world for entrepreneurs and investors, leading to inevitable capital flight.

It is an utterly idiotic idea that seems to be based entirely on spreadsheets, and not any form of common sense or behavioural economics.

I therefore expect the next govt, especially the civil service, to welcome it with open arms.

Can't see this country going anywhere until the IMF are called in.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Do you have dates for the survey? Or anything more you can safely publish on here (it’s behind their paywall)
    It's on the new thread.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,804
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

TimS said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Indeed.

I could have moved abroad to dodge the 20%, tbh, since by my own personal calculation it would be cheaper to live abroad for five years than to even pay the 20%. But I was happy to get my chequebook out and pay the 20% on my investments because I *am* lucky to be richer than most people, and I want to contribute.

But no amount is ever enough. So instead of picking up 300k-ish from me next year, the exchequer will get nowt.
    No change has even been announced!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Some sensible ones:
    Clacton, Ashfield
    A "hmm" one:
    Gt Yarmouth
    Some that look like glitches, unless local knowledge says otherwise:
    Suffolk S, Norfolk NW, Leicestershire Mid, Exmouth+Exeter E

The overall shares on the MRP are
    L40C24R12LD11, which may already be put of date.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Not angry, I just think you're a stratospheric wanker.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,123
    OllyT said:

Nothing wrong with woodlice, though. Vegetarian and extremely important recyclers.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

OllyT said:

Having also been on the receiving end I don’t really understand what happens with him. 75% of the time he’s amicable but 25% he’s vile to people. Like some switch just flicks and rage and abuse takes over.
    He has very little tolerance of anyone who doesn't see things the way he does. He also has a very short fuse.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Why am I getting 1992 vibes? Started this morning feeling this was a 2010 style election, albeit in the right direction, but ended even more pessimistic. Not sure. Just not getting the vibe, despite the polls.

Agree. Not 1992 but Labour squeak home or NOM with Lab/LD together making a majority feels a possible still.

The other vibe is about what happens after 4th July. There is now no result that isn't seismic.
  • Options

OllyT said:

Not angry, I just think you're a stratospheric wanker.
    I won't be stooping to your sad level. enjoy the next 5-10 years of Labour government. I'm off.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Heathener said:

OllyT said:

He has very little tolerance of anyone who doesn't see things the way he does. He also has a very short fuse.
    Maybe then participate in the below the lines discussions, like a normal person?

You normally only pop up to throw invective and abusive.

Zero time for it, and thus zero respect for you.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Some sensible ones:
    Clacton, Ashfield
    A "hmm" one:
    Gt Yarmouth
    Some that look like glitches, unless local knowledge says otherwise:
    Suffolk S, Norfolk NW, Leicestershire Mid, Exmouth+Exeter E

The overall shares on the MRP are
    L40C24R12LD11, which may already be put of date.
    Reform 7 seats, 1 in Essex, none in Lincolnshire? I don't think so. I think Reform max 2 is likely.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,111
    OllyT said:

Yet you are strident about people need to lose money constantly because you know you wont be the victim