Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Keir was the toolmaker’s son – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,800
    edited June 14
    HYUFD said:

ANC to form a coalition government in South Africa with liberal DA opposition and Zulu Inkatha Freedom Party
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/cpvvl1xppdgt

How long is that going to last. ANC are proper left, DA are centre right and ZIF are proper right wing. I can't imagine they agree on anything.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,083
    edited June 14
    I thought this was a parody, when I saw the excerpt, but it's real. Keir Starmer interviewed by PinkNews:

PN: Now I want you to imagine that you’re in a gay bar…
    SKS: Don’t have to imagine it, I’ve been in one many times!

PN: What are you ordering at the bar and what song is it going to take to get you on the dance floor?
    SKS: A pint of lager. And what’s going to get me on the dance floor? I don’t know… “Sweet Caroline.”

https://www.thepinknews.com/2020/03/02/keir-starmer-labour-party-leadership-election-lgbt-rights-human-dignity-trust-trans/
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,229

What's the Unknown Stuntman up to today? 15 pint pub crawl drinking challenge?

I would like to see him complete some form of South West London pub challenge. Could he nail a pint in every SW postal district, culminating with a whisky chase in the Red Lion, SW1?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,375
    Andy_JS said:

RobD said:

Sunak receives letter from Gambling Commission over aide who placed bet on July election

PM is understood to have been contacted earlier this week about Craig Williams being the subject of an investigation

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/06/14/rishi-sunak-gambling-commission-craig-williams-bet-election/

What an idiot.

He forgot to post a tip on here so we could all pile in.
    Unfortunately for the Tories, his seat is the only one in Wales the Tories are currently expected to hold according to most forecasts.
    Shouldn’t that “is” be “was”? And the “are” “were”?
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,431
    HYUFD said:

Conservative Home Tory members poll finds 56% would back a deal with ReformUK, 37% opposed.

55% would also back Farage receiving the Conservative whip if he is elected as an MP in Clacton, again 37% opposed.

However 46% believe the party should focus on voters lost to Labour and the LDs to 42% on voters lost to Reform
    https://conservativehome.com/2024/06/14/our-survey-members-back-a-reform-deal-and-giving-farage-the-whip-but-not-shifting-the-campaign-to-the-right/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Friday 14th June 2024&utm_content=Friday 14th June 2024+CID_80462b415161772952d63e7d95d989a0&utm_source=Daily Email&utm_term=Our survey Members back a Reform deal and giving Farage the whip - but not shifting the campaign to the right

Courtesy of the Graun GE live blog:

There is a lot of laughter in the room at this Reform UK press conference when Nigel Farage is asked whether Andrea Jenkyns asked his permission to use his face on her leaflet for the Conservative party

He gives the serious answer “I think the fact that Andrea did that shows you the depth of division in the Conservative party. They are two separate parties.”
  • Options
    edited June 14

I thought this was a parody, when I saw the excerpt, but it's real. Keir Starmer interviewed by PinkNews:

PN: What are you ordering at the bar and what song is it going to take to get you on the dance floor?
    SKS: A pint of lager. And what’s going to get me on the dance floor? I don’t know… “Sweet Caroline.”

https://www.thepinknews.com/2020/03/02/keir-starmer-labour-party-leadership-election-lgbt-rights-human-dignity-trust-trans/

Yes, it is indeed surprising that he would choose lager. I had him down as a squarely real ale man. But a decent pint of Tribute is hard to find on Old Compton Street.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,101

As soon as Crossover happened, this was coming…

https://x.com/nigel_farage/status/1801596499735835075?s=46

Rishi Sunak and Sir Keir Starmer are taking part in a BBC debate on 26th June.

As we are now ahead of the Conservatives in the polls, I demand that Reform UK is a part of this debate.

If the BBC want a fight with me on this, they can have one.

He can presumably interview himself on GB News. What's he complaining about?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,147
    I am the grandson of a bal maiden. The last child slaves in Britain - Cornish girls sent to sort rocks “up at grass” - in the open yards at the tin mine heads. They worked barefoot outdoors in all weather. She was 9, this was around 1910, at St Agnes. The absolute poorest of the poor

At the same time and through Cornish gentry (and before them Cornish aristos) I am directly descended - and provably so - from Saxon “princess” Maud Ingelrica and William the Conqueror/William Peverell, Norman knight, both of noble Viking blood - the fatherhood is disputed, the nobility is not

In that looooooooong social descent there is probably a toolmaker

• Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,678

HYUFD said:

ANC to form a coalition government in South Africa with liberal DA opposition and Zulu Inkatha Freedom Party

How long is that going to last. ANC are proper left, DA are centre right and ZIF are proper right wing. I can't imagine they agree on anything.
    They do agree on not liking uMkhonto weSizwe (MK) and Economic Freedom Fighters.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,629

Sweet Jesus he should lose for that dance song choice alone. What a knob.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,199
    HYUFD said:

Bad news for Putin.
  • Options
    edited June 14

HYUFD said:

They do agree on not liking uMkhonto weSizwe (MK) and Economic Freedom Fighters.
    It is rather stretching the enemy of my enemy is my friend. I can't see how it works for any length of time, its hardly Cameron / Clegg.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,342

No one will be surprised that I want to see the Tories ejected from office and crushed into oblivion as a political force.

I confess to having a bit of a wobble last night when the third poll in two days came out with Labour in the 30s. But by the end of the evening common sense had returned: Cons now averaging 19% in recent polls, Starmer's personal rating on the rise, tactical voting giving the LDs a boost...

All is well. Relax...

With you there @Benpointer 100%
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,472
  • Options

Germany vs Scotland in the football tonight, its a Alien vs Predator decision on who to support...

Indeed. Was thinking this earlier.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,398
    tlg86 said:
    It will be fascinating to see how many of the always Conservative but never Farage Tories bend the knee once Farage is their leader.
  • Options
    edited June 14

Its rather I like that hip new band, the Arctic Monkeys....

I don't know how politicians get themselves in so a bind over this sort of question. Does anybody expect a 60 year old married man with kids to go on a big'un on the gay club scene.....scratch that, Michael Gove does.

Easy answer is in my younger days been in plenty with friends, a lot of fun. Insert self deprecating joke about terrible music you danced to, moved on.
  • Options
    RichardrRichardr Posts: 86

As we are now ahead of the Conservatives in the polls, I demand that Reform UK is a part of this debate.

If they continue their momentum in the polls it will put the BBC in a very difficult position if they refuse.

Imagine if the polls on the eve of the debate are something like Labour 36%, Reform 23%, Tories 15%. Would they still try to exclude Farage from the main event?
    Given how much the BBC loves giving Farage airtime - of all currently active politicians, he's the one featured most on Question Time - you can just imagine the rending of clothes and gnashing of teeth that would ensue within the BBC if that were to happen.
    Isn't that more to do with him being the only one from his party on such programmes whereas the other main parties have a whole cabinet or shadow cabinet plus able to appear?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,848

Germany vs Scotland in the football tonight, its a Alien vs Predator decision on who to support...

Scotland.

The Tartan Army deserve our support.
    I agree. And supporting the losing team is excellent prep for the England matches :wink:
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,864

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Conservative Home Tory members poll finds 56% would back a deal with ReformUK, 37% opposed.

55% would also back Farage receiving the Conservative whip if he is elected as an MP in Clacton, again 37% opposed.

However 46% believe the party should focus on voters lost to Labour and the LDs to 42% on voters lost to Reform
    https://conservativehome.com/2024/06/14/our-survey-members-back-a-reform-deal-and-giving-farage-the-whip-but-not-shifting-the-campaign-to-the-right/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Friday 14th June 2024&utm_content=Friday 14th June 2024+CID_80462b415161772952d63e7d95d989a0&utm_source=Daily Email&utm_term=Our survey Members back a Reform deal and giving Farage the whip - but not shifting the campaign to the right

For me that would be a red line. I am bracing myself to vote Tory but I will not vote for Reform or anyone who does a deal with them.
    Yes, about a third of those Tory voters and members still remaining like you would go LD if any deal or merger with Reform, though the majority would join up with Farage's party.

Reform would though also add a few of the white working class Leave voters they have been picking up from Labour who never voted Tory before Boris and likely never would again
    One interesting question for post election is about the future of the LDs. Their activists have always been quite left wing, but if they elect a bunch of new MPs in blue wall seats then those MPs could well be centrist, if not slightly centre-right. If the Tories suffer an ELE, we could also see a split where councillors and activitsts on the right go to Reform, while the centrists move to LD.
    Not sure that is true. I'm an activist and I know a lot of others and I wouldn't describe any as left wing. All my experience is from the blue wall.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Scotland.

The Tartan Army deserve our support.
    I agree. And supporting the losing team is excellent prep for the England matches :wink:
    Ouch. We rather walked into that one.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,375

I presume this has been focus-grouped to death and it really helps SKS, or else he wouldn't keep saying it, but it's a bit odd.

Who cares what your Dad or Mum did?

It's you we're interested in.

To be fair, Rishi is also very keen to tell us about his parental background.

By the way, did you know they ran a pharmacy?
    So did my parents; and my mother was the pharmacist. My father was, by profession, a teacher.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,908
    I'm the son of a queue jumper (c) Theresa May
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,069
    FF43 said:

He can presumably interview himself on GB News. What's he complaining about?
    Neither Farage, nor JRM, nor Esther Mcvey, are on GBNews for the duration of the campaign, obviously.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,217

Although Farage is twisting things, I think there is a bit of a fair point here.

The 7 way debates are just too many people, 3-4 is the max you can have. I am not sure why SNP, PC, have to be invited to every national debate and green's are polling very low amount.

Tory, Labour, Lib Dem, Reform for at least one debate is fair.

Bollocks to him.
    He's had more than a fair share of airtime..
  • Options
    edited June 14

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

I’m keeping out of the dog whistle stuff but @TOPPING I am not Premier League.

I am Champions League

Now, BETTING POST: WIMBLEDON LADIES’ SINGLES CHAMPIONSHIP

Would it be wise to look much beyond Sabalenka (3/1), Swiatek (7/2), or Rybakina (9/2)? Possibly not. All three of those odds have reasons to be attractive bets and a case could be made for any of the three.

I’m beginning to think @Sandpit that you were correct about Emma Raducanu when you suggested that her US Open win would prove her to be a one-hit wonder. However, she has shown a bit of form in 2024 especially in the Billie Jean Cup and she will be playing back on grass.

At 33/1, widely available right now, I think she’s worth a flutter.

This is not a proposition that she is going to win Wimbledon. It’s a proposition that 33/1 is worth a casual bet.

She's a serious contender for Wimbledon and 33/1 is a fantastic price.
    Radacanu must be the most overhyped tennis player in history. The sponsorships she’s got are just crazy, I can’t believe there has been any ROI.
    Well, Emma Raducanu won the US Open and was the first British woman to win a Grand Slam since Virginia Wade in 1977. She was the first qualifier to win a Grand Slam in the open era, without dropping a single set: beating the Olympic Gold Medallist along the way. That same year she reached the 4th round at Wimbledon from a wild card entry when she was still 17, so clearly not just a one-hit wonder.

She has been battling something, I’m not sure exactly what, but perhaps a combination of physical and mental issues.

And all I said was that she is showing signs of returning to form this year, especially in the Billie Jean King Cup. And she will be playing on grass. So the odds of 33/1 on her for the Wimbledon Ladies’ Championship are worth a flutter. I’m not saying she will win but that those odds are very attractive. And this is a betting site. No more, no less.

But if you think you know so much about tennis in general, and ladies tennis in particular, then do at least spell the person's name correctly.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

For me that would be a red line. I am bracing myself to vote Tory but I will not vote for Reform or anyone who does a deal with them.
    Yes, about a third of those Tory voters and members still remaining like you would go LD if any deal or merger with Reform, though the majority would join up with Farage's party.

Reform would though also add a few of the white working class Leave voters they have been picking up from Labour who never voted Tory before Boris and likely never would again
    One interesting question for post election is about the future of the LDs. Their activists have always been quite left wing, but if they elect a bunch of new MPs in blue wall seats then those MPs could well be centrist, if not slightly centre-right. If the Tories suffer an ELE, we could also see a split where councillors and activitsts on the right go to Reform, while the centrists move to LD.
    I think a core value of the LibDems is liberalism (as opposed to authoritarianism). It manifests in protection of individual freedoms, dislike of coercion, tolerance of diversity within a framework of fair laws. It won't appeal to supporters of the nanny state nor to the anti-immigrant do as your told brigade. It's culturally progressive.

But on the left/right economic dimension I think it's quite a wide church with supporters of nationalisation of key industries alongside free marketeers. Keynesians and monetarists. Red LibDems and Blue LibDems.

So I think it is misleading to say our activists have always been quite left wing. They are liberal and culturally progressive which I agree is sometimes seen as left wing. But that's not the whole story. Economically it's a broad church with the centre of gravity in the pragmatic non-ideological centre.

There's plenty of room for freedom loving culturally progressive ex-Tories.
    If they have loads of MPs in nice leafy places and a Labour government committed to a mass housebuilding programme, the Lib Dems are almost condemned to become the NIMBY party whether they like it or not.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

There is a lot of laughter in the room at this Reform UK press conference when Nigel Farage is asked whether Andrea Jenkyns asked his permission to use his face on her leaflet for the Conservative party

He gives the serious answer “I think the fact that Andrea did that shows you the depth of division in the Conservative party. They are two separate parties.”
    She's the mad one, isn't she ?
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 202

I don't know how politicians get themselves in so a bind over this sort of question. Does anybody expect a 60 year old married man with kids to go on a big'un on the gay club scene.....scratch that, Michael Gove does.

Easy answer is in my younger days been in plenty with friends, a lot of fun. Insert self deprecating joke about terrible music you danced to, moved on.
    Everyone knows you listen to erasure in gay bars. Or Abba.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

FPT

Thanks! The stroke was reasonably serious (4 days completely blotted out from my memory, but apparently I was in hospital), but it's left few physical marks - a tendency to want to sleep in the day now and then. Mentally it's left gaps when I'm tired - I was puzzling over the names of close relatives last night, which seem absolutely clear now - but I'm gradually returning to normal.

When I was a solicitor the medical records use to have NFF on them which stood for Normal for Fife. Dare I ask if there is an equivalent?

Seriously, its good to see you have made a good recovery.
    It's NFN in England. (Normal for Norfolk.)
  • Options

Although Farage is twisting things, I think there is a bit of a fair point here.

The 7 way debates are just too many people, 3-4 is the max you can have. I am not sure why SNP, PC, have to be invited to every national debate and green's are polling very low amount.

Having the SNP and PC there really distorts things because they're not putting forward a programme of government for the UK.
    Admittedly it is rather odd to have a nationwide election event like this containing these kinds of participants (i.e. those that most viewers can't vote for, and whose dearest wish is to persuade those who can to become part of an entirely different state,) and if we're going to have regional parties crowding everything then where are the Scottish Greens and all the principal players in Northern Ireland?

Oh well, no formula that the broadcasters can come up with will ever satisfy everyone, and there may well be different combinations of parties involved next time around.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,530
    Richardr said:

If they continue their momentum in the polls it will put the BBC in a very difficult position if they refuse.

Imagine if the polls on the eve of the debate are something like Labour 36%, Reform 23%, Tories 15%. Would they still try to exclude Farage from the main event?
    Given how much the BBC loves giving Farage airtime - of all currently active politicians, he's the one featured most on Question Time - you can just imagine the rending of clothes and gnashing of teeth that would ensue within the BBC if that were to happen.
    Isn't that more to do with him being the only one from his party on such programmes whereas the other main parties have a whole cabinet or shadow cabinet plus able to appear?
    No. Farage is on more often than all of the Lib Dems taken together by quite some margin. Its a real irritation.
  • Options

Why do the Greens always get to debate? They poll sod all.

This is from 2015, but it shows the reasoning, in great detail, that Ofcom go through to define "major parties": https://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio-and-on-demand/broadcast-standards/major-parties-15
  • Options
    edited June 14
    Stunning polling on the Tory ELE:

https://x.com/sebwride/status/1800829980877939070

Also the question on what outcome people would like to see:

https://x.com/sebwride/status/1800829984078282868
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

She's the mad one, isn't she ?
    You think there's only one insane Conservative MP?
  • Options
    @TOPPING I was not ‘called out’ and nor did I go off in a sulk. I thought you were being such a pillock that you weren’t worth my time of day.

It was an interesting story that illustrated something which is threatening to be THE single issue for a sufficient % of the electorate (not me) that it could totally overturn the entire fabric of British politics, and indeed already is.

So from that small kernel, great things have grown. You can stick your fingers in your ears and pretend it’s not happening but all that tells me is that it’s not happening for you.

Reform just crossed over the Conservatives, 20 days out from the General Election vote. And the main reason? Net migration.

Think about that. No, really. Stop and think about that.

And now I’m off out. Not a sulk. I have a life.
  • Options
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,791
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

I think a core value of the LibDems is liberalism (as opposed to authoritarianism). It manifests in protection of individual freedoms, dislike of coercion, tolerance of diversity within a framework of fair laws. It won't appeal to supporters of the nanny state nor to the anti-immigrant do as your told brigade. It's culturally progressive.

But on the left/right economic dimension I think it's quite a wide church with supporters of nationalisation of key industries alongside free marketeers. Keynesians and monetarists. Red LibDems and Blue LibDems.

So I think it is misleading to say our activists have always been quite left wing. They are liberal and culturally progressive which I agree is sometimes seen as left wing. But that's not the whole story. Economically it's a broad church with the centre of gravity in the pragmatic non-ideological centre.

Is liberalism still a core value within the Lib Dems?

They have lost me. They supported this, which was the final straw for me:

https://freespeechunion.org/orwellian-police-scotland-blacklist-of-hate-incidents/
  • Options

Everyone knows you listen to erasure in gay bars. Or Abba.
    This is where I was going to complain about stereotypes, but as a non-scene bloke it's entirely possible that I have spent less time in gay bars than Starmer has.

I do have a predilection for ABBA though.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Bollocks to him.
    Again, this doesn’t help.

They won’t go away by us pretending it’s not happening. We need to engage with him and with the single issue that is driving their support.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,642
    lockhimup said:

Indeed - there's also the LDs to consider who are not far behind the Tories currently
    Realistically the TV companies can't rearrange any of the debates on the basis of polls.
    Which do you use for starters? The most recent? The average over a month? A year?
    Farage "demanding" to be included is as ridiculous as his claim that suddenly Starmer is PM and he's leader of the opposition based on a single poll

Sunak and the Tories should have stomped on this clown ages ago.
    I wonder if the treasury will be going through the Reform Manifesto and telling us how much tax will rise to pay for it?
    Won’t most people see Farage behaving like this and be reminded he’s a massive twat?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,388

Stunning polling on the Tory ELE:

https://x.com/sebwride/status/1800829980877939070

Also the question on what outcome people would like to see:

https://x.com/sebwride/status/1800829984078282868

You have to worry about the 10% of those intending to vote Conservative who think the Conservatives deserve to lose every seat they have.

There's really no accounting for people's stupidity.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,905

darkage said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

Ghedebrav said:

ToryJim said:

I see Putin has proposed a basis for a ceasefire which amounts to “give me all your lunch money and I’ll definitely stop punching you”. I can’t work out whether he is so delusional he thinks this approach has any likelihood of being successful or whether he’s so committed to the war that he’s deliberately trolling.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/06/14/russias-putin-outlines-conditions-for-peace-talks-with-ukraine.html

I guess we need starting points. Albeit red lines here that will be light years apart form each other.

I do believe there will need to be some concessions from the Ukraine side, but how this can happen I don't know - certainly I can't imagine any scenario that isn't also somehow up problems for the future (the whole Azov Brigade thing is real).

This war cannot go on forever. It's not about appeasement, it's about stopping people getting killed. Even the vaguest talk of ceasefire, I have to hope is a positive step.
    I deprecate death and destruction of war as much as the next person, but I don’t think that negotiation in this instance is wise. Most people can work out that Putin will use any negotiated agreement as a way to reconstruct his forces and then come back for another slice. I think Ukraine and the allies are correct to reject any approach that gives Putin anything whatsoever. It’s not about appeasement but about a hard headed, but belated, understanding of the character of the person in the Kremlin.
    Quite. He'll take what he can. The reason nations belatedly backed Ukraine this time and not over Crimea was recognising how the prior approach did not work and has led to more violence down the line. Slowly but surely nations will forget that lesson if they are not careful.
    The 'deal' on this will be initiated by the US, when it decides the current situation cannot last. It will probably be similar to what Putin is suggesting. But it is unlikely to be a real peace agreement, because Russia will use the time to prepare the next attack. So the conflict which began in 2014 continues until such point as a strategic security settlement is reached with Russia. In the end you either destroy Russia, or you reach an agreement with it about the security situation in Europe, those are the two options. If you can't beat it, then the latter is the only option.
    It's avoiding that scenario which explains why Ukraine has been so keen to put all these security agreements to paper.

Then, even if the election of Trump turns off the tap of US support, there's a structure of agreements with other countries so that Ukraine can fight on.

They do not intend to give up.
    Ukraine are experiencing losses and are dependent on western support. If they didn't have this Russia would eventually physically obliterate them, even though they would have problems establishing a loyal regime in its place. Western support has to be aimed at some strategic purpose, ie defeating the regime in Russia, or reaching some strategic security agreement with it. At the moment it just isn't clear to me what the strategy is. It does seem like there is some reason why Russia can't be 'beaten' which I suspect is because of nuclear escalation, I would observe that the apparent threat of this only arises when Russia seems to be experiencing setbacks. So if you can't beat Russia then the aim should be the creation of some kind of settlement with it. Assuming this is the objective I am not clear if any progress is being made towards it. The fear I have is that there is no strategy at all and this is a popular war that is now declining in popularity and is tactically unwinnable, leading to a humiliating defeat and hundreds of thousands of avoidablen deaths. But I honestly hope this is not the case and Ukraine will prevail in some way.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Nigelb said:

Bollocks to him.

They won’t go away by us pretending it’s not happening. We need to engage with him and with the single issue that is driving their support.
    He and it are being engaged with to an inordinate degree already.

For national security reasons if nothing else I don’t think Putin fans should get disproportionate attention.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,060
    Wells Fargo sacks employees using 'mouse jugglers' to pretend to be working at home

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cjll01220yeo
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Nigelb said:

Bollocks to him.

You're arguing that he be given special
    treatment. That's nothing to do with 'engaging with him'.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,844
    boulay said:

Much better than the ultimate cliche choice of Dancing Queen.
  • Options
    edited June 14
    HYUFD said:

Wells Fargo sacks employees using 'mouse jugglers' to pretend to be working at home

It rather suggests that whatever work they should have been doing wasn't that important if they could run mouse jugglers and it was only after tracking that did the bosses work out they were doing bugger all work.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I am the grandson of a bal maiden. The last child slaves in Britain - Cornish girls sent to sort rocks “up at grass” - in the open yards at the tin mine heads. They worked barefoot outdoors in all weather. She was 9, this was around 1910, at St Agnes. The absolute poorest of the poor

At the same time and through Cornish gentry (and before them Cornish aristos) I am directly descended - and provably so - from Saxon “princess” Maud Ingelrica and William the Conqueror/William Peverell, Norman knight, both of noble Viking blood - the fatherhood is disputed, the nobility is not

In that looooooooong social descent there is probably a toolmaker

Leon of the D´Ubervilles... Had you more down as Alec Stoke-D´Uberville.
  • Options

tlg86 said:
    It will be fascinating to see how many of the always Conservative but never Farage Tories bend the knee once Farage is their leader.
    Well I fucking won't.
    The Lib Dems will be the natural home for ABC1 'Never Farage' ex-Tories.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,044
    HYUFD said:

Is that a euphemism?
  • Options
    TimS said:

Heathener said:

Nigelb said:

Bollocks to him.

For national security reasons if nothing else I don’t think Putin fans should get disproportionate attention.
    I loathe Nigel Farage but this isn’t going away by sticking our fingers in our ears and pretending it’s not happening.

The best way to deal with him is to bring him into the spotlight, properly. Give him a good grilling.

Pushing him to the margins means he can feed more on the kind of Trumpian mass paranoia and conspiracy that feeds in the shadows.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,341
    darkage said:

darkage said:

darkage said:

Heathener said:

Also catching up on various news titbits and polling, broadcasts, and debates.

I’m not sure how anyone interested in politics can describe this is as a dull election? It’s the most interesting, and exciting, campaign of my life. I guess for different reasons 2019 and 2017 were also fun to watch, and I appreciate that if you are a Conservative party worker this must be hell on earth right now, but for neutrals it’s absolutely fascinating.

There are still so many permutations, from truly landscape altering to something more nuanced. Can anyone really say they are sure which way this is going from here?

It is evidence that politics is subject to the same disruption as many areas of life. The conservative collapse though was foreshadowed in the 2019 Euro elections (why does this never get discussed) where they had a similar collapse/ 'extinction level event'. There was then a miraculous political reinvention which didn't last. What I find quite amusing is that, against this backdrop, people still cling to the idea that there are 'political norms' that still apply ie 'elections are won in the centre'. I think anything can happen, the arrival of 'reform' is just the beginning.
    Every British election in my lifetime has been won by the party in the centre.

It's just the centre moves over time. And calling yourself centrist doesn't make you so.

In 2017-19 the centrist position was to get Brexit done, but we had self-proclaimed "centrists" who wouldn't accept the will of the voters in the Referendum. So the party that pitched to the centre won nearly 50% of the vote while the parties that did not lost.

Today the centrist position is that things are broken that need fixing and that it's time for a change.

The arrival of Reform is no more meaningful than the arrival of their predecessors like the BNP. They're nobodies who will get either zero or next to zero MPs and will never win an election.
    What is it that is bothering you exactly about Reform? They have policies that based on your posting history you would probably like, IE dealing severely with violent criminals. The BNP were never the second most popular party in an opinion poll, or anywhere near.
    I don't like racist, anti-immigration shitbags for starters.
    So you are just pro immigration. As am I albeit with some caveats. But I don't think a policy of 'net zero immigration' is inherently 'racist'. It was actually the policy of conservative party for many years (zero net migration). Some of the people associated with Reform have a tendency to make personal attacks and slurs against others but this is definetly also true of some of their critics.

The visceral, reactive hatred of Reform just adds to their appeal and will propel them forward.
    Sorry, no, those were two separate points, separated by a comma.

I don't like anti-immigration parties, that would be bad enough.

My bigger concern is that they're racist shitbags.

A policy of net zero migration is not inherently racist.

Nigel Farage (and many of the candidates attracted to him) however absolutely is very racist.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,409

Why do the Greens always get to debate? They poll sod all.

This is from 2015, but it shows the reasoning, in great detail, that Ofcom go through to define "major parties": https://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv-radio-and-on-demand/broadcast-standards/major-parties-15
    The Greens do now have 812 councillors, while Reform have 10.
  • Options
    TimS said:

lockhimup said:

Indeed - there's also the LDs to consider who are not far behind the Tories currently
    Realistically the TV companies can't rearrange any of the debates on the basis of polls.
    Which do you use for starters? The most recent? The average over a month? A year?
    Farage "demanding" to be included is as ridiculous as his claim that suddenly Starmer is PM and he's leader of the opposition based on a single poll

Sunak and the Tories should have stomped on this clown ages ago.
    I wonder if the treasury will be going through the Reform Manifesto and telling us how much tax will rise to pay for it?
    Won’t most people see Farage behaving like this and be reminded he’s a massive twat?
    Don’t people say “won’t most people see Trump behaving like this and be reminded he’s a massive twat?” It doesn’t work like that anymore, it adds to the grievance, conspiracy and post truth politics that exists these days.
  • Options

tlg86 said:
    Well I fucking won't.
    Not if they keep tacking left away from Orange Booking.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,386
    No chance BBC add Farage to their Sunak v Starmer head to head.

However more notable is that Farage isn't on the four person Question Time - which is Con, Lab, LD, SNP. He has more of a case for being added to this but I doubt the BBC will change things this late. I think they would only consider it if Reform polled above Con consistently in numerous polls.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Having the SNP and PC there really distorts things because they're not putting forward a programme of government for the UK.
    Admittedly it is rather odd to have a nationwide election event like this containing these kinds of participants (i.e. those that most viewers can't vote for, and whose dearest wish is to persuade those who can to become part of an entirely different state,) and if we're going to have regional parties crowding everything then where are the Scottish Greens and all the principal players in Northern Ireland?

Oh well, no formula that the broadcasters can come up with will ever satisfy everyone, and there may well be different combinations of parties involved next time around.
    Plaid Cymru counts as a major party in Wales, and the debates are considered to cover Great Britain, so Plaid get in... is the logic, I think. There's an argument that you should have an England debate (given there are Wales, Scotland and NI debates) without PC or SNP, but that's complicated by the absence of an England-only broadcaster.

The broadcasters are following Ofcom, and Ofcom makes decisions based on both election results and polling.
  • Options
    edited June 14
    pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

Yes the Tories are now a coalition of Orange Book LDs and Reform sympathising rightwingers.

Just the former are larger than the latter, especially amongst the party membership and also a majority of those still voting Tory.

Much of CCHQ under Sunak though would be the former as most probably would the likes of Hunt, Cameron and Mordaunt and Chalk. Rees Mogg, Badenoch, Braverman, Rosindell, IDS etc though would definitely be the latter. Sunak trying desperately to bridge the 2 groups
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,536

tlg86 said:
    Well I fucking won't.
    All this talk of Tory extinction.... LOL!
  • Options
    Leon said:

By contrast, my father was a famous writer and philosopher, known for his nihilistic view of spirituality - an aggressive atheism - and his contentious views on Judaism, Christianity, politics - but also his brilliant prose style

That’s right, I’m the son of a Nietzsche-man

My father was a hirudotherapist.

That's right, I'm the son of a leecher-man.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

boulay said:

He should have just said “anything, the gays know a good tune.” But sweet Caroline?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,562

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

If the Tories go Faragist, I could see Cameron joining the LibDems
  • Options

HYUFD said:

DA are more liberal centrist than centre right and the alternative was deals with the far left which would collapse the markets and Rand
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,536
    JohnO said:

tlg86 said:
    Well I fucking won't.
    And I won’t fucking either.
    We are a party of millions!

Well, two at least!
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,076
    edited June 14

Leon said:

By contrast, my father was a famous writer and philosopher, known for his nihilistic view of spirituality - an aggressive atheism - and his contentious views on Judaism, Christianity, politics - but also his brilliant prose style

Mine was the Labour MP for Oldham West & Royton. I'm the (...you know the rest)
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,844
    Heathener said:

Nigelb said:

Bollocks to him.

We are engaging. We're saying bollocks to him.

However, good call on Emma and Wimbledon. She's a serious contender this year. Anybody saying otherwise knows jack all about tennis. 33/1 is value. Should be less than half that. I'm on at 38 on the Exchange.
  • Options
    edited June 14

tlg86 said:
    Well I fucking won't.
    The Greens are the natural home for a left of Labour party now, most of the new LD seats will be ex Tory so it makes sense for Davey to shift centre right liberal in the next parliament
  • Options
    TimS said:

Heathener said:

Nigelb said:

Bollocks to him.

I'm not sure how valid this sentiment should be considered. Putin is currently prosecuting a vicious and illegal invasion. But he is not a Nazi dictator, and we are not currently at war with Russia. You may find recent warm words for Putin distasteful, but it is not democratic to treat those who've made such statements differently if they seek elected office.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,481
    JohnO said:

tlg86 said:
    Well I fucking won't.
    Neither will I.
  • Options

tlg86 said:
    Well I fucking won't.
    All this talk of Tory extinction.... LOL!
    There's more chance of Trump winning the election than the Tories doing better than in 1997.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,409
    darkage said:

darkage said:

kle4 said:

ToryJim said:

Ghedebrav said:

ToryJim said:

I see Putin has proposed a basis for a ceasefire which amounts to “give me all your lunch money and I’ll definitely stop punching you”. I can’t work out whether he is so delusional he thinks this approach has any likelihood of being successful or whether he’s so committed to the war that he’s deliberately trolling.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/06/14/russias-putin-outlines-conditions-for-peace-talks-with-ukraine.html

I guess we need starting points. Albeit red lines here that will be light years apart form each other.

I do believe there will need to be some concessions from the Ukraine side, but how this can happen I don't know - certainly I can't imagine any scenario that isn't also somehow up problems for the future (the whole Azov Brigade thing is real).

This war cannot go on forever. It's not about appeasement, it's about stopping people getting killed. Even the vaguest talk of ceasefire, I have to hope is a positive step.
    I deprecate death and destruction of war as much as the next person, but I don’t think that negotiation in this instance is wise. Most people can work out that Putin will use any negotiated agreement as a way to reconstruct his forces and then come back for another slice. I think Ukraine and the allies are correct to reject any approach that gives Putin anything whatsoever. It’s not about appeasement but about a hard headed, but belated, understanding of the character of the person in the Kremlin.
    Quite. He'll take what he can. The reason nations belatedly backed Ukraine this time and not over Crimea was recognising how the prior approach did not work and has led to more violence down the line. Slowly but surely nations will forget that lesson if they are not careful.
    The 'deal' on this will be initiated by the US, when it decides the current situation cannot last. It will probably be similar to what Putin is suggesting. But it is unlikely to be a real peace agreement, because Russia will use the time to prepare the next attack. So the conflict which began in 2014 continues until such point as a strategic security settlement is reached with Russia. In the end you either destroy Russia, or you reach an agreement with it about the security situation in Europe, those are the two options. If you can't beat it, then the latter is the only option.
    It's avoiding that scenario which explains why Ukraine has been so keen to put all these security agreements to paper.

Then, even if the election of Trump turns off the tap of US support, there's a structure of agreements with other countries so that Ukraine can fight on.

They do not intend to give up.
    Ukraine are experiencing losses and are dependent on western support. If they didn't have this Russia would eventually physically obliterate them, even though they would have problems establishing a loyal regime in its place. Western support has to be aimed at some strategic purpose, ie defeating the regime in Russia, or reaching some strategic security agreement with it. At the moment it just isn't clear to me what the strategy is. It does seem like there is some reason why Russia can't be 'beaten' which I suspect is because of nuclear escalation, I would observe that the apparent threat of this only arises when Russia seems to be experiencing setbacks. So if you can't beat Russia then the aim should be the creation of some kind of settlement with it. Assuming this is the objective I am not clear if any progress is being made towards it. The fear I have is that there is no strategy at all and this is a popular war that is now declining in popularity and is tactically unwinnable, leading to a humiliating defeat and hundreds of thousands of avoidablen deaths. But I honestly hope this is not the case and Ukraine will prevail in some way.
    I think there is a divide in the West between those who think they can provide enough support to Ukraine that Russia will decide its losses are unacceptably high, and Russia will choose to go to the negotiating table, and those who, as I do, believe that it is necessary for Ukraine to reclaim their land militarily, as Croatia did against Serbia.

It will be easier to reach a settlement when Russia is no longer occupying Ukrainian land.

I think the comprehensive Russian defeat in the Black Sea, and the failure of their blockade, should give us hope that a Ukrainian victory is possible. And we should therefore concentrate on achieving it.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,970
    edited June 14

I think he'll find the BBC are not going to fight him on that one, they are going to ignore him.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,386
    edited June 14
    JohnO said:

tlg86 said:
    Well I fucking won't.
    And nor would I either.

I would consider myself a moderate Conservative but my voting preference (in this GE) would be Con, Lab, LD, Reform.

To me, the LDs appear far more irresponsible than Lab. The LDs would both tax more than Lab and interfere more than Lab - eg Davey prescribing the breaking of existing TV football contracts. I would also expect the LDs to cancel road building projects which Lab will continue with.

Am I the only one with such an order of preference?
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,199

JohnO said:

tlg86 said:
    Well I fucking won't.
    Neither will I.
    What would Dave and George do?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

Yes the Tories are now a coalition of Orange Book LDs and Reform sympathising rightwingers.

Just the former are larger than the latter, especially amongst the party membership and also a majority of those still voting Tory.

Much of CCHQ under Sunak though would be the former as most probably would the likes of Hunt, Cameron and Mordaunt and Chalk. Rees Mogg, Badenoch, Braverman, Rosindell, IDS etc though would definitely be the latter. Sunak trying desperately to bridge the 2 groups
    Sorry, the latter bigger than the former
  • Options

Leon said:

Mine was the Labour MP for Oldham West & Royton. I'm the (...you know the rest)
    The son of a Meacher-man!
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 202

HYUFD said:

Is that a euphemism?
    Jigglers not jugglers, and they are a huge thing (as I have known for the 10 minutes since I googled them). It shows how pointless most "work" is if what are basically RNGs can simulate its output.
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 292
    edited June 14

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

I mean it makes sense. Broadly speaking you can split the Tories into either Reform types or those that would be pretty much at home in the Lib Dems. With Starmer hovering up the rest of the centre ground, that pretty much gives 80% of the former Tory base a home.

And I think part of this is why the Tories are struggling - there’s a ‘better version’ of them whichever way you turn. If they can’t rely on “Only we or Labour can win” then they sort of have nothing else going for them!
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed.

Many people forget that classically right wing economics is liberal economics.

America bastardises a lot of language unfortunately. More there than here the term liberal is adopted as left wing. So then the term libertarian tended to be adopted by those of us who are economically liberal and socially liberal too, but then they've really damaged that term too by seeing it adopted by racists and nutters.

In Australia the party of the right is the Liberal Party, which believes in liberal economics. I'd be quite OK with the Lib Dems displacing the Tories as the party of the right here too, but I won't be holding my breath about it.
  • Options

tlg86 said:
    Well I fucking won't.
    The chair of the Lib Dem manifesto working group was Lord Dick Newby - https://www.libdems.org.uk/members/make-policy/manifesto

Lord Newby was national secretary of the SDP from 1983-88 and chief of staff to Charles Kennedy from 1999 to 2006; he would be considered to be on the social liberal democrat wing of the party, rather than the orange book wing.
  • Options

JohnO said:

tlg86 said:
    Well I fucking won't.
    Neither will I.
    Ditto.
  • Options
    boulay said:

kinabalu said:

boulay said:

He should have just said “anything, the gays know a good tune.” But sweet Caroline?
    Middle aged man chooses cheesy song from when he was young.

In related news, water is wet, the Pope is a wee bit Catholic, bears have been seen entering the woods with toilet paper and there’s a film at 11
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,251

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

There's definitely a gap in the market that would open up even wider than it already has, and it's intriguing to speculate which of "Lib Dem plus wets" or "Reform plus dries" ends up as the main non-socialist party, because surely there's only room for one under FPTP.

But hitch up with the Lib Dems, of all people? My ancestors would be turning in their graves.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Is that a euphemism?
    Jigglers not jugglers, and they are a huge thing (as I have known for the 10 minutes since I googled them). It shows how pointless most "work" is if what are basically RNGs can simulate its output.
    They also can produce semi coherent posts on bppetting.com
  • Options
    edited June 14

tlg86 said:
    Well I fucking won't.
    The chair of the Lib Dem manifesto working group was Lord Dick Newby - https://www.libdems.org.uk/members/make-policy/manifesto

Lord Newby was national secretary of the SDP from 1983-88 and chief of staff to Charles Kennedy from 1999 to 2006; he would be considered to be on the social liberal democrat wing of the party, rather than the orange book wing.
    Well that was obvious from the manifesto.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,388

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

I wonder if Rory Stewart has really relinquished his political ambitions.
  • Options

TimS said:

Heathener said:

Nigelb said:

Bollocks to him.

I'm not sure how valid this sentiment should be considered. Putin is currently prosecuting a vicious and illegal invasion. But he is not a Nazi dictator, and we are not currently at war with Russia. You may find recent warm words for Putin distasteful, but it is not democratic to treat those who've made such statements differently if they seek elected office.
    Giving them more attention than the other minor parties is a little odd though, isn’t it?
  • Options

JohnO said:

tlg86 said:
    Well I fucking won't.
    Neither will I.
    Ditto.
    I’m Spartacus, as well.
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 821

He's the epitome of a supportive Centrist Dad! Would go to a gay bar and be incredibly stereotypically hetero while there. My step dad would be the same!
  • Options

boulay said:

kinabalu said:

boulay said:

Middle aged man chooses cheesy song from when he was young.

In related news, water is wet, the Pope is a wee bit Catholic, bears have been seen entering the woods with toilet paper and there’s a film at 11
    Calling 61 middle aged is stretching it. How many 122 year olds do you know?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

I mean it makes sense. Broadly speaking you can split the Tories into either Reform types or those that would be pretty much at home in the Lib Dems. With Starmer hovering up the rest of the centre ground, that pretty much gives 80% of the former Tory base a home.

And I think part of this is why the Tories are struggling - there’s a ‘better version’ of them whichever way you turn. If they can’t rely on “Only we or Labour can win” then they sort of have nothing else going for them!
    I think the idea that "you can split the Tories into either Reform types or those that would be pretty much at home in the Lib Dems" is complete and utter balderdash. There is a broad range of opinion in the Conservative Party, and it's a continuum, not a bimodal distribution.
  • Options
    Seems like opportunity for a PB (Pizza Base) party....
  • Options

JohnO said:

tlg86 said:
    Well I fucking won't.
    Neither will I.
    Always the way with the wets. When asking the 'headbangers' to accept the latest bit of unpalatable eurocrap, it was always 'party loyalty' and 'get behind our leader' and 'why aren't we bashing the lefties instead of each other?' but as soon as the boot's on the other foot, party loyalty goes out the window, getting behind the leader happens (but with daggers), and bashing lefties turns into 'defecting to start other parties with lefties'. None of them have a shred of loyalty to the Tory Party - they are loyal to their faction.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

I think the idea that "you can split the Tories into either Reform types or those that would be pretty much at home in the Lib Dems" is complete and utter balderdash. There is a broad range of opinion in the Conservative Party, and it's a continuum, not a bimodal distribution.
    I'd suggest there are at least 50 MPs in the Tory party closer in policy to Keir Starmer than Patel and Braverman and another 50 closer to Ed Davey. Yet they (nearly) all stick to the rosette in some weird loyalty ritual.