Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Kaboom! Is Sunak the Tory David Lloyd George? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,196
    Who let the polls out?

Who? Who? Who?
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,618
    MikeL said:

Meanwhile, BMG:

Lab 41 (-1)
    Con 21 (-2)
    Ref 14 (-2)
    LD 12 (+3)
    Grn 6 (=)

https://x.com/HugoGye/status/1801296925775233292

Quite important to take a broad sweep of polls not just to latch onto the a poll one likes

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,080

It’s happened!

Yeah, Oman have collapsed and are giving England a real chance to do dramatic things to their NRR. Bah.

Or do you mean the politics?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,185
    IanB2 said:

And so the incompetent are being surpassed by the filth...

Farage admitted earlier that they haven't had time or resources to do proper vetting of their candidates. If their vote continues to rise, they will make the O'Mara saga look like a sideshow.
    As a result of Franklin Roosevelt's victory over Herbert Hoover in 1932 Presidential election in the USA and in the State of Washington, party standings in the WA legislature changed from:

1931 = WA state senate 1 Dem versus 41 Rep; WA state house Dem 8 versus Rep 89

1933 = WA state senate 25 Dem versus 21 Rep; WA state house 70 versus 29 Rep

As a result, many of the new legislators had NOT been expected to actually be elected. Naturally there were some vetting issues.

Most notably, turned out that one of the Democrats elected to the state house, had a felony conviction for statutory rape. Meaning he was ineligible to vote, let alone run for or serve in the legislature.

One of the first acts of the new state house was to expel him; his replacement was another, non-felonious Democrat.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,490
    Andy_JS said:

Tories are sub 20 with 4 pollsters. Its over. They will disintegrate over the next 3 weeks. I cant see them being the opposition.

Strange because Sunak and Hunt were supposed to be "the adults back in the room" for the Tories. What went wrong?
    They're simply a very poor administration staggering along at the end of a string of disasters. The progressive running down of public services, the running battles over how to manage Brexit, the plague, Ukraine, and rampant inflation.

Doesn't necessarily follow that the Tories are going to disappear completely down the plughole though. In a contest where several runner up parties are all on similar vote shares, efficiency of distribution becomes all important - and the Tories have a lot of enormous majorities to fall back on. They don't need to finish second in vote share to comfortably retain second place in the Commons. Though, if course, the lower they sink the more unpredictable the overall picture becomes
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

dixiedean said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

New-fangled chart on Wikipedia:

Hahah. If you extrapolate those trends (absurd but fun) Labour end up about 33%, Reform end up around 26%, the Tories and LDs both get about 15%

Baxtered:

Labour: 375
    Reform: 127
    LDs: 67
    Con: 39

Starmer is PM. Farage is the LOTO

By the election of 2028 the rump of the Tories have been absorbed into Reform and Farage becomes PM
    Reform have no real ground game, so I think your orgasmic reaction is misplaced. The Lib Dems are fighting their targets intensely. Reform have candidates that will explode and have no real target strategy beyond Clacton and Ashfield. IF you believe those numbers, then by all means go all in, but if I were you I would prepare to be very disappointed.
    Cicero said:

Leon said:

New-fangled chart on Wikipedia:

Hahah. If you extrapolate those trends (absurd but fun) Labour end up about 33%, Reform end up around 26%, the Tories and LDs both get about 15%

Baxtered:

Labour: 375
    Reform: 127
    LDs: 67
    Con: 39

Starmer is PM. Farage is the LOTO

By the election of 2028 the rump of the Tories have been absorbed into Reform and Farage becomes PM
    Reform have no real ground game, so I think your orgasmic reaction is misplaced. The Lib Dems are fighting their targets intensely. Reform have candidates that will explode and have no real target strategy beyond Clacton and Ashfield. IF you believe those numbers, then by all means go
    all in, but if I were you I would prepare to be very disappointed.
    Did you miss the *absurd but fun" bit?
    Its certainly absurd, you have to have some grounding in reality, otherwise you end up like Grant Shapps, and who wants that?
    Well, the reality is: Reform have just overtaken the Tories, and this with one of the most respected pollsters out there. THAT is the reality
    Mmmm, is it? We have one pollster who says so in one poll.
    You're doing that Leon thing where you go from the existence of SOME evidence to bulletproof certainty in a flash.
    I’m literally saying Reform have overtaken the Tories with ONE of our most respected pollsters

You’re doing that Farooq thing where you twist anything I say into fake and perverse gibberish coz you’ve got some weird obsession about me
    You're ramping
    Always
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,397
    edited June 13
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Biden: "I'm extremely proud of my son Hunter. He has overcome an addition ... I said I would abide by the jury decision. I will do that. I will not pardon him."
    https://x.com/atrupar/status/1801329832627741060

Classy.

That's how you respond to a court verdict, not like Trump.
    Biden is old and frail, but he's fundamentally decent. Trump is old and frail, and, well, I'll let people fill in the difference.
    And rambles on about the choice between being electrocuted or eaten by a shark while escaping a non-existent sinking boat? In a landlocked state noted for being a desert?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,097
    GIN1138 said:

Jonathan said:

2010 general election campaign PB Angus Reid Poll about three weeks out

LD 33%
    Con 32%
    Lab 23%

Conclusion, polls three weeks out are not always reliable.

Cleggasm Vs Nigegasm ?
    It’s all a load of old bollocks isn’t it?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,191

GIN1138 said:

Have to admit, this poll is a genuine KABOOOOOM - Doesn't happen very often, so savour it!

Indeed, Labour on 37 is a disaster for Starmer.

Andy_JS said:

LoL

Lab: 37% (-1)
    Reform: 19% (+2)
    Con: 18% (nc)
    Lib Dem: 14% (-1)
    Green: 7 (-1)
    SNP: 3 (+1)
    Plaid: 1 (nc)
    Other: 2 (+1)

Loving the 37% landslide mainly because i am on Lab less than 12.9m votes but also because democracy is fooked

SKS fans please explain
    Starting to look like the more people see of SKS the less they are likely to vote Lab.

Early days but I am currently ecstatic with my GE2024 bets

And indeed SKS fans please explain why Lab have gone from 46 to 37 in a week with YG

Will end up on 10% at that rate!!
    Starmer's campaign is an unmitigated disaster, but let's not forget where Corbyn landed in 2019.

P S. Have YouGov changed their methodology?
    How can Starmers campaign be an "unmitigated disaster" when Labour are heading for one of the biggest majorities in British political history?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,374
    Andy_JS said:

Tories are sub 20 with 4 pollsters. Its over. They will disintegrate over the next 3 weeks. I cant see them being the opposition.

Strange because Sunak and Hunt were supposed to be "the adults back in the room" for the Tories. What went wrong?
    The others in the room didn't want adults. They wanted cool aunties and uncles who would give them even more access to the drinks cabinet. Like Auntie Liz and Uncle Boris did. Why did Social Services have to come and remove them?
  • Options
    theenglishborntheenglishborn Posts: 163

GIN1138 said:

Have to admit, this poll is a genuine KABOOOOOM - Doesn't happen very often, so savour it!

Andy_JS said:

LoL

Loving the 37% landslide mainly because i am on Lab less than 12.9m votes but also because democracy is fooked

SKS fans please explain
    Starting to look like the more people see of SKS the less they are likely to vote Lab.

And indeed SKS fans please explain why Lab have gone from 46 to 37 in a week with YG

Starmer's campaign is an unmitigated disaster, but let's not forget where Corbyn landed in 2019.

They changed methodology before the 4th June poll results
  • Options

That Green share also seems a bit implausible.

Which Green share? We've had about a dozen polls in half an hour.

(Ok, I exaggerate - 20 minutes)
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 407
    Jonathan said:

GIN1138 said:

Jonathan said:

LD 33%
    Con 32%
    Lab 23%

Cleggasm Vs Nigegasm ?
    Press feeding frenzy incoming on the creeps and weirdos who are Reform's candidates. Which I think will restore a sense of proportion.
  • Options
    The number of people with a favourable view of Keir Starmer is at its highest level since Nov 2022

Favourable: 39% (+3 from 4-5 Jun)
    Unfavourable: 51% (-2)

https://x.com/YouGov/status/1801281578020081738

This does not square with Labour falling back, except for their voters voting Lib Dems to stop the Tories.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,922
    edited June 13
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

On a point of order:

David Lloyd George was not a Liberal when he was PM. He was suspended from the party in 1916 following his coup against Asquith and not readmitted until 1923.

See I knew you'd pick up on this.

I was going to originally say the last Liberal to be PM but Churchill complicated that.
    You could have picked Asquith.

The somewhat dry* donnish figure who came from modest backgrounds via multiple scholarships to public school and Oxbridge but simply couldn't relate to ordinary people and wasn't especially smart at politics.

*Leaving aside the drinking and sex mania.
    I clearly have nothing in common with H. H. Asquith.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

LoL

SKS fans please explain

How can Starmers campaign be an "unmitigated disaster" when Labour are heading for one of the biggest majorities in British political history?
    Ignore Mexican, he's on some bizarre 'black is white' performance art kick.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

LoL

SKS fans please explain

+1

Some people are being particularly silly this evening!
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,429
    Leon said:

maaarsh said:

Leon said:

Starmer getting very shirty over toolmakergate:

https://x.com/aaronbastani/status/1801301642463019196

The people laughing at Starmer last night for saying his dad was a toolmaker for the zillionth time were apparently doing it out of disrespect and snobbery. Don’t think that’s quite what happened to be honest!

Actually no I’m with Starmer there. He’s defending his Dad and he’s a bit prickly about his Dad being laughed at. Good for Kir, stick up for the working classes, and defend your old man. Nowt wrong with that!
    Absolutely no one was laughing at his dad and it's only his Po-faced nature which makes him unable to see that. They were laughing at his constant repetition of a strange line to try and claim he's a man of the people.
    Starmer is making a quite poignant admission that his Dad was the victim of snobbery and became socially withdrawn, as a reason, and Starmer is saying that’s why he reacts badly to laughter on this issue. I’m with Sir Kir Royale, for once. This is a human thing and quite admirable, emotional loyalty to your family

There is much to criticize Starmer for, he’s desperately dull and could be a terrible PM, but this is NOT a reason to lambast him, not at all
    His interview was extremely revealing of someone who perceives slights, sometimes even when they come from their own lack of confidence. It confirmed him as dour, chippy and worryingly, likely motivated by revenge against his class 'enemies'. Bodes ill for the next 5 years.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

GIN1138 said:

Jonathan said:

LD 33%
    Con 32%
    Lab 23%

Cleggasm Vs Nigegasm ?
    Press feeding frenzy incoming on the creeps and weirdos who are Reform's candidates. Which I think will restore a sense of proportion.
    Look, they've got Nigel Fecking Farage front and centre and it's not hurting them.

How much more creepy and weird can they be?

(OK - answer 'a lot' but there comes a point where it shouldn't really make a difference.)
  • Options
    Sorry did Farage just say he wants to replace the NHS.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,416
    Well done to whoever has tidied up the Wiki columns so most polls now fit on one line - allows you to see far more on screen at once.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,282
    DATA TABLES for tonights YG shows before reallocation of DKs are out

Lab 29
    Ref 15
    Con 11
    LD 10
    DKs 15

This has the potential to result in anything

People not qualified to comment if they dont understand Data Tables!!

https://ygo-assets-websites-editorial-emea.yougov.net/documents/TheTimes_VI_AdHoc_240613_w.pdf
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,607
    edited June 13
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

LoL

SKS fans please explain

Quite, this is all a bit unhinged, rather like the nonsense that the Tories had beaten Sadiq Khan that was going round before even a single vote had been unboxed. The Tories are going to lose, Labour will probably get a massive majority, the Lib Dems will increase their seats substantially. THAT is the reality we are seeing on the doorsteps.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,466

Efficiency of Labour / Lib Dem tactical vote and the depressed Tory vote is not being accounted for enough.

Even 37 is not nearly as bad for Labour as it might look.

We're at the point where a 20 point lead is apparently "bad".
    Can you post your source/link for that Techne poll please.
    https://www.techneuk.com/tracker/
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

GIN1138 said:

Jonathan said:

LD 33%
    Con 32%
    Lab 23%

Cleggasm Vs Nigegasm ?
    Look, they've got Nigel Fecking Farage front and centre and it's not hurting them.

(OK - answer 'a lot' but there comes a point where it shouldn't really make a difference.)
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/reform-uk-candidate-ian-gribbin-bexhill-battle-hitler-nazis-nigel-farage-b1163364.html

Different league from Farage
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,922

Efficiency of Labour / Lib Dem tactical vote and the depressed Tory vote is not being accounted for enough.

Even 37 is not nearly as bad for Labour as it might look.

We're at the point where a 20 point lead is apparently "bad".
    Can you post your source/link for that Techne poll please.
    https://www.techneuk.com/tracker/
    Cheers.
  • Options

Yes
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,746
    Now we have CROSSOVER, this election could go two ways:

1) Tory total collapse, inefficient right wing vote, LD loyal opposition
    2) Reform vote never materialises, Labour bumps back up to mid-40s, Tories to mid-20s and over 100 seats

I've been placing bets based on 2) but if we get a few more polls suggesting 1) ... Hmmmm.
  • Options
    Techne doesn’t prompt for constituency as far as I can see. Does YouGov’s new methodology do that?
  • Options

Probably- he's said it before.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,175
    TimS said:

Taz said:

The labour fall in Yougov is quite noticeable and it looks like it’s going to Reform if you take the graph on face value.

Wonder what the data behind it shows.

https://x.com/yougov/status/1801338289422573581?s=61

It does make me semi-question my focus on the bloc votes of LLG vs RefCon. On the basis Reform seems to be an anti-Tory vote and therefore takes some voters from other non-Tory parties.

The blocs are still useful reference points though, not least because there is very little volatility between polls. RefCon are up a bit - 1-2% in a few polls this week. But some of that may be DK or Labour switchers.

I predict the squeeze will start in earnest soon though, now people are focused on the election. Expect Con to rise at least 5, probably 7-8%, and Labour to recover 2-3%, mainly off Green and a bit of Ref. I think LD will settle close to or a bit below where ot is currently.
    Gaby Hinsliff makes a similar point about Reform. Not just a threat to the Tories.

https://x.com/gabyhinsliff/status/1801343464606433506?s=61
  • Options

Lab 29
    Ref 15
    Con 11
    LD 10
    DKs 15

https://ygo-assets-websites-editorial-emea.yougov.net/documents/TheTimes_VI_AdHoc_240613_w.pdf

Oh great are you going to try and re-weight the polls next?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,214
    edited June 13
    Among 2016 Leavers, Reform are well ahead of Labour on that poll.

Among 18-24 year-olds they beat the Tories 15% to 7%. and are now well ahead on all age groups below 65.

*Subsample Klaxon for @Anabobazina
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,629
    Cicero said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

LoL

SKS fans please explain

Quite, this is all a bit unhinged, rather like the nonsense that the Tories had beaten Sadiq Khan that was going round before even a single vote had been unboxed. The Tories are going to lose, Labour will probably get a massive majority, the Lib Dems will increase their seats substantially. THAT is the reality we are seeing on the doorsteps.
    You’re in fucking Estonia
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,075

Yes. Lets pull this movement apart:
    1) Labour are shedding the soft vote that had herded into their column. Losing a few to Green, more to LibDem, some to Reform. That will reduce the number of seats they win and the majorities they get in those seats
    2) LibDems are getting a lot of attention and people like what they see. Not relevant nationally, but the target seats focus and the willingness to vote tactically will pay out. I know the party is playing it down citing past elections, but Sarah Olney's tale of woe last night is a tale of elections past, not the one in front of us
    3) Reform are transformed - the Nigel has doubled their support and the Tory dam is breaking. That Jenkyns leaflet won't be the only one. Once the dam breaks properly the surge of Tory votes to Reform is unstoppable now - watch the flow accelerate the closer we get to polling day
    4) Sorry Tories, its the end. Nobody is listening to you, and the bits they hear they laugh at - openly, to your face.

Unless something radical happens to abruptly reverse it, this is going to be the biggest electoral shift for a century. The Tories have launched the manifesto now, its not going to pull a Farage-shooting rabbit out of the hat. And "don't give Labour a super-majority?" Not remotely enough when voters are now heading off to spread their votes about away from Labour.

I know that ELE is "it couldn't happen here". But it IS. Look. Listen. Think. What possibly can avert it now? Fear of that anodyne Labour offer? Fear of Farage? A sudden "poor Rishi lets vote for him after all" movement?

I have no clue what that means for seats. It's going to be fun.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

LoL

SKS fans please explain

The Tories are going to win??
  • Options

Cicero said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

LoL

SKS fans please explain

Yep Red Tories
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,865
    Thing is Reform, like the Greens, don’t actually spend time bothering to come up with proper worked through policies. Yet they manage close to 25% between them just because of vibes.

I’ve spent much of this week looking at the tax contents of the manifestos. The Tory and Labour ones, and the materials they’ve published elsewhere, actually show some professionalism and an understanding of how this stuff works. The Tories of course benefit from the Treasury, which helps. Labour have some very talented Spads and have taken soundings from lots of qualified sources. The manifestos are both weak in many ways, but at least they have a modicum of real world about them. Even the Conservative tax cuts are costed in normal almost believable ways.

The Lib Dem tax proposals are disappointingly ill thought out. A shame because in previous elections they were usually among the most thorough. They fall short of the standard they should be aiming for.

The Green manifesto is pie in the sky. All sorts of very interesting ideas, but no pretence to realism. And Reform really don’t have a meaningful tax policy at all. Yet between them they’re on a quarter of the vote.
  • Options

Cicero said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

LoL

SKS fans please explain

Well a seat or two possibly :wink:
  • Options
    It has arrived as predicted. The YouGov poll showing the Tories coming third. Now the debate on here will rage about whether the Tories get 50 seats or below.After election night the debate will continue. How did the Tories get 150, 175, 200 seats? Because people lied about who they were going to vote and several polling companies got it wrong, how why? That is the mystery. To panic Tory voters for example into voting for the party that in their heart of hearts they support. I post this now and anyone who agrees with me fantanstic. The majority will say I am wrong and it is hurting Labour etc. Rubbish. For the people who bet on this site if you are putting your money down on this poll and others like it you may as well put your money down the nearest drain. The odd person on here will thank me after the election is done and I am proved right. If I am wrong I will accept it after the election is over. Until then I will stick to my view. The debaters on here will vehemently diagree with me and justify why they are right and I am wrong. I have news for you.Do not be conned.Think outside the box.
  • Options
    BatteryCorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorse Posts: 2,402
    edited June 13

Cicero said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

LoL

SKS fans please explain

Yep Red Tories
    The Labour manifesto says they will renationalise the railways and create a publicly owned energy company.

How is this "red Tories"?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

GIN1138 said:

Jonathan said:

LD 33%
    Con 32%
    Lab 23%

Cleggasm Vs Nigegasm ?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/reform-uk-candidate-ian-gribbin-bexhill-battle-hitler-nazis-nigel-farage-b1163364.html

Different league from Farage
    Yes, but people who aren't put off by Farage are hardly likely to be put off by that, are they?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cicero said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

LoL

SKS fans please explain

You got back from Odesa then? Your point is?
  • Options
    Mean polls this evening:

Lab 40.75%
    Con 19.25%
    LibDem 12.5%
    Reform 18%
    Green 6%

(YouGov, R&W, WeThink, BMG. Did I miss one?)
  • Options

It has arrived as predicted. The YouGov poll showing the Tories coming third. Now the debate on here will rage about whether the Tories get 50 seats or below.After election night the debate will continue. How did the Tories get 150, 175, 200 seats? Because people lied about who they were going to vote and several polling companies got it wrong, how why? That is the mystery. To panic Tory voters for example into voting for the party that in their heart of hearts they support. I post this now and anyone who agrees with me fantanstic. The majority will say I am wrong and it is hurting Labour etc. Rubbish. For the people who bet on this site if you are putting your money down on this poll and others like it you may as well put your money down the nearest drain. The odd person on here will thank me after the election is done and I am proved right. If I am wrong I will accept it after the election is over. Until then I will stick to my view. The debaters on here will vehemently diagree with me and justify why they are right and I am wrong. I have news for you.Do not be conned.Think outside the box.

Er, who the fuck are you?
  • Options
    People openly laughing at Penny Mourdant saying to Angela Rayner that she's had 14 years to come up with some ideas.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,942
    MikeL said:

Meanwhile, BMG:

Lab 41 (-1)
    Con 21 (-2)
    Ref 14 (-2)
    LD 12 (+3)
    Grn 6 (=)

https://x.com/HugoGye/status/1801296925775233292

Prefer that. That gives the Parliament I want and also suits my bets. Let's freeze it there.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Cicero said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

LoL

SKS fans please explain

Bootle for one. What’s the other ?
  • Options

Lab 29
    Ref 15
    Con 11
    LD 10
    DKs 15

And you do? Judging by the bilge you posted y’day you clearly don’t.

But I’m not surprised you want to shut down discussion of your theory if you don’t believe in democracy.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

LoL

SKS fans please explain

I’m not personally claiming “THIS is the reality we are seeing on the doorsteps”. You are. And yet you’re in Estonia

Wind it in
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,607

IanB2 said:

And so the incompetent are being surpassed by the filth...

Farage admitted earlier that they haven't had time or resources to do proper vetting of their candidates. If their vote continues to rise, they will make the O'Mara saga look like a sideshow.
    As a result of Franklin Roosevelt's victory over Herbert Hoover in 1932 Presidential election in the USA and in the State of Washington, party standings in the WA legislature changed from:

1931 = WA state senate 1 Dem versus 41 Rep; WA state house Dem 8 versus Rep 89

1933 = WA state senate 25 Dem versus 21 Rep; WA state house 70 versus 29 Rep

As a result, many of the new legislators had NOT been expected to actually be elected. Naturally there were some vetting issues.

Most notably, turned out that one of the Democrats elected to the state house, had a felony conviction for statutory rape. Meaning he was ineligible to vote, let alone run for or serve in the legislature.

One of the first acts of the new state house was to expel him; his replacement was another, non-felonious Democrat.
    Bad guys get elected even with vetting.

Former Oregon Governor Neil Goldschmidt, who raped girl, dead at 83
    https://katu.com/news/local/former-oregon-governor-neil-goldschmidt-embroiled-in-scandal-passes-away-at-83-jimmy-carter-ted-kulongoski-board-of-higher-education-nike-salem-portland-mayor-nigel-jaquiss-willamette-week-multnomah-county
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,047

Techne doesn’t prompt for constituency as far as I can see. Does YouGov’s new methodology do that?

Yes, I was polled that way a couple of days back.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,627

People openly laughing at Penny Mourdant saying to Angela Rayner that she's had 14 years to come up with some ideas.

It's a really dumb line in fairness.

Cicero said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

LoL

SKS fans please explain

Yep Red Tories
    The Labour manifesto says they will renationalise the railways and create a publicly owned energy company.

There's a handful of policies they agree on, so basically the same, right?

Probably- he's said it before.
    You'd think it might hurt him, but I don't think people are responding to Reform so much as agains the Tories.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,414

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    24m
    This is what happened during Canada 93. Reform shot up as people decided there was no point voting Conservative.
  • Options

Cicero said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

LoL

SKS fans please explain

Yep Red Tories

Because the former is only at the end of franchises some of which are 7 years ago

And the latter is a PFI scheme that neither generates or sells energy but gives private energy companies massive profit with taxpayer taking all the risk

Not very good at understanding Politics are you mate?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,152
    Foxy said:

Wot? No Sir Ed Davey??

He'll be Leader of th
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

LoL

SKS fans please explain
    YouGov is now polling using the candidates by name and party in the voters constituency. I know because I was in this poll (as an Undecided). So increasingly we are seeing a sharpening of Tactical Voting.

You poll as undecided? I never knew you were a Tory!
    I am genuinely undecided how I will vote. Likely LD, but could go Green.
    The Greens have sadly taken in a lot of unpleasant people from the left of Labour. DYOR.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,767

I keep saying I think the Tories will get at least 25%, despite the polls.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

LoL

SKS fans please explain

I’m not personally claiming “THIS is the reality we are seeing on the doorsteps”. You are. And yet you’re in Estonia

Wind it in
    I`m talking to the guys on the ground, which is ground I know very well, which is why they talk to me. Telephone canvassing can also be done at a distance...
  • Options
    edited June 13
    Well it’s certainly going to be a media story, at least until the Euros. Much as I dislike Leon’s silly ramping about literally every topic he can troll us on, occasionally he has just cause.

This is a big moment. No one wants to back a loser. This could generate its own momentum. The Big Mo I believe they used to call it. Is that right? Reagan?

• Options
    Heathener said:

Well it’s certainly going to be a media story, at least until the Euros. Much as I dislike Leon’s silly ramping about literally every topic he can troll us on, occasionally he has just cause.

Lead story on the Daily Mail too:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13527661/Reform-UK-OVERTAKE-Tories-time-opinion-poll-Nigel-Farage-hails-inflection-point-crows-wasted-vote-Conservative-vote.html

Reform OVERTAKES the Tories for the first time in an opinion poll: Nigel Farage hails 'inflection point' and crows that 'the only wasted vote now is a Conservative vote'
  • Options
    edited June 13
    Do people get super excited by Reform getting ahead, and abandon the Tories further to take part in the moment of their annihilation? Or will historic loyalty win out, at least for some?

Such times we live in.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Wot? No Sir Ed Davey??

He'll be Leader of th
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

LoL

SKS fans please explain
    YouGov is now polling using the candidates by name and party in the voters constituency. I know because I was in this poll (as an Undecided). So increasingly we are seeing a sharpening of Tactical Voting.

The Greens have sadly taken in a lot of unpleasant people from the left of Labour. DYOR.
    Yes but there are decent people too like Vix Lowthian.
  • Options

Does it matter? Jeremy Vine at lunchtime today had queues of cancer patients who can't get scans or treatments or consultations. If I get ill I am resigned to paying, as I have been with dentistry for 40 years.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,314

Heathener said:

Lead story on the Daily Mail too:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13527661/Reform-UK-OVERTAKE-Tories-time-opinion-poll-Nigel-Farage-hails-inflection-point-crows-wasted-vote-Conservative-vote.html

Reform OVERTAKES the Tories for the first time in an opinion poll: Nigel Farage hails 'inflection point' and crows that 'the only wasted vote now is a Conservative vote'
    They will both be wasted votes. Splitters

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,080
    I can't say that I am enjoying this election. The Tories are not really my team but jeez.

Labour are getting away with promising something at the margins. And not being Tories. That is enough, apparently. Sunak has been a poor PM, no argument, but I don't think he deserves this. I will be glad when its over.
  • Options
    I’ll believe this is Clegg 2.0 until we are closer to election day.
  • Options
    Other red Tory policy announcements today

"Labour say they'll use the spare capacity in the private healthcare sector"

There's no spare capacity, its taken from the NHS. What Labour should do is build capacity in the NHS, not undermine it by diverting tax payers cash to build the pvt sector profiteers.

However Lab Donors are hang on pvt sector health lobbyists
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,314

Does it matter? Jeremy Vine at lunchtime today had queues of cancer patients who can't get scans or treatments or consultations. If I get ill I am resigned to paying, as I have been with dentistry for 40 years.
    Well indeed. The NHS is de facto a two-tier service

• Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,172
    edited June 13
    Cicero said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

LoL

SKS fans please explain

Wind it in
    I`m talking to the guys on the ground, which is ground I know very well, which is why they talk to me. Telephone canvassing can also be done at a distance...
    Let's be clear, are you saying you have been telephone canvassing?
    Or are you saying merely that it can happen from where you are? Because we all already know that.
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 205

No it isn't. The Clegg bounce was led by younger fickle voters who on average don't vote.
    The REFORM surge is led by much more stubborn reliable older voters.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 622

Lab 29
    Ref 15
    Con 11
    LD 10
    DKs 15

I mentioned with your last poll, that apparently high levels of DKs is pretty normal - even at much later points in the campaign.

YouGov's last poll before the 2019 election was just a week before polling day, and was pretty much spot on for the final result.

That one had 13% DK, and it also had 8% will not vote. The equivalent poll approx 3 weeks out, had 15% DKs - so exactly the same.

The Tory vote before they stripped out, was 10% lower than the headline figure, so further away that Labour in that poll above.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/itsi0h01ub/TheSundayTimes_VI_Results_191206_w.pdf

The polling companies have a good idea at this stage what those DKs will do, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Wot? No Sir Ed Davey??

He'll be Leader of th
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

LoL

SKS fans please explain

Yes but there are decent people too like Vix Lowthian.
    In my opinion she's a poor candidate, and a lot of local Greens say the same.
  • Options

Yes. Lets pull this movement apart:
    1) Labour are shedding the soft vote that had herded into their column. Losing a few to Green, more to LibDem, some to Reform. That will reduce the number of seats they win and the majorities they get in those seats
    2) LibDems are getting a lot of attention and people like what they see. Not relevant nationally, but the target seats focus and the willingness to vote tactically will pay out. I know the party is playing it down citing past elections, but Sarah Olney's tale of woe last night is a tale of elections past, not the one in front of us
    3) Reform are transformed - the Nigel has doubled their support and the Tory dam is breaking. That Jenkyns leaflet won't be the only one. Once the dam breaks properly the surge of Tory votes to Reform is unstoppable now - watch the flow accelerate the closer we get to polling day
    4) Sorry Tories, its the end. Nobody is listening to you, and the bits they hear they laugh at - openly, to your face.

Unless something radical happens to abruptly reverse it, this is going to be the biggest electoral shift for a century. The Tories have launched the manifesto now, its not going to pull a Farage-shooting rabbit out of the hat. And "don't give Labour a super-majority?" Not remotely enough when voters are now heading off to spread their votes about away from Labour.

I know that ELE is "it couldn't happen here". But it IS. Look. Listen. Think. What possibly can avert it now? Fear of that anodyne Labour offer? Fear of Farage? A sudden "poor Rishi lets vote for him after all" movement?

I have no clue what that means for seats. It's going to be fun.
    And the thing is, even if Labour had got to a majority of 1 from their starting point, that would already have been an implausibly huge shift. Now we're in a situation where even a sensible, nothing to worry about for 4-5 years majority (40 or so?) would feel like a... not quite a failure, but a let down from here.

If 1997 was the meterorite that killed the dinosaurs, this has the potential to be like the one that broke off a part of planet Earth to become the Moon.

Meanwhile, the latest Rosindellgram came through my letterbox today. Some very high-pitched "don't vote Reform, that will let Labour in and that will make Khan happy" stuff.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,478
    I’m shocked that the Tories so far have received no bounce from their manifesto . They were essentially handing out money . So either the public don’t believe they can deliver on those pledges or they just hate the party and want them eviscerated.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,509
    Andy_JS said:

This does rather remind me of the moment when a poll put Yes ahead in the Indy referendum. You felt it was always going to happen but - also - that No would eventually
    prevail.

Suspect we may be seeing something similar here.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,822
    Taz said:

Cicero said:

Cicero said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

LoL

SKS fans please explain

Bootle for one. What’s the other ?
    Liverpool Riverside probably.
  • Options
    Cameron quotes Gino.
  • Options
    Nunu5 said:

No it isn't. The Clegg bounce was led by younger fickle voters who on average don't vote.
    No. In that YouGov poll, Reform are ahead of Conservative in all age categories apart from 65+.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Lloyd George won the biggest war faced by Britain and introduced universal old age pensions.

Sunak cancelled a much needed railway line.

He "lost" Ireland, negotiated the peace which predictably led to an even bigger war, and is the ancestor of the Triple Lock.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, in important news, I think even England are going to struggle to lose to Oman here.
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 722
    Leon said:

COME ON BIG NIGEL

COME ON CRAZY DAVEY!
  • Options
    edited June 13
    Nunu5 said:

I think the other factor which perhaps CHB is glossing is that it’s hand-in-hand with the abysmal Conservative performance. I maintain that this is the real story of this election. Labour-LibDems look okay to me performance wise and a lot of tactical voting coming. Reform do clearly now have some momentum.

But the Conservatives are confounding my own expectations that they would rally to high 20’s. They are sinking into uncharted waters. That’s the real story.

This is going to be an anti-Government anti-Conservative vote like nothing this country has ever seen.

Oh heck, I sound like Leon
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

That is my betting position too, but not looking a wise one. I was expecting some swingback.

I didn't think Sunak to run a good campaign, but I wasn't expecting a cross between Frank Spencer and Sideshow Bob.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,375
    Andy_JS said:

I put a nice insurance bet on the Tories at 150-200 seats at 8/1 earlier this week courtesy of a free bet with Skybet, and am now green or break even on all outcomes (save NOM or Con majority), with extra thanks to a bet on a Lab majority at 5/1 over two years ago that covers most outcomes. I win big on Lab 500 seats plus. But I think things are being overstated at the moment.

Reform will poll well nationally but will fail to win seats locally. The shires will remain Conservative, and the Lab to RefUK defectors will be a spoiler in seats Labour was hoping to win.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I can't say that I am enjoying this election. The Tories are not really my team but jeez.

Labour are getting away with promising something at the margins. And not being Tories. That is enough, apparently. Sunak has been a poor PM, no argument, but I don't think he deserves this. I will be glad when its over.

Aren't they? I had you down as a dyed in the wool Conservative. Have I got you totally wrong?
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,523

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    24m
    This is what happened during Canada 93. Reform shot up as people decided there was no point voting Conservative.

Canada 93 sounds like a classic. Doubt it can compete with Hastings 95, Montreal 79 or Linares 92.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,097
    So you’re in number 10, you call a snap election and three weeks later are now third. What do you do?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Which is still a calamitous result, lest we forget.
  • Options
    The Greens. Classic student politics

Leon said:

COME ON BIG NIGEL

COME ON CRAZY DAVEY!
    CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,942
    Leon said:

Er, who the fuck are you?
    It's highwayparadise306.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Lab 29
    Ref 15
    Con 11
    LD 10
    DKs 15

And you do? Judging by the bilge you posted y’day you clearly don’t.

But I’m not surprised you want to shut down discussion of your theory if you don’t believe in democracy.
    Sorry pal but you are too thick to engage with if you think people surveyed are seats

You can PM me if you need advice in how to read data tables!
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,460

Maybe we've been looking in the wrong party for the Portillo moment of this election. It could be someone who would have had a place in Starmer's cabinet losing their seat unexpectedly to Reform.

Someone like Lisa Nandy could be vulnerable.

Clearly you know sweet fuck all about Wigan,
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Andy_JS said:

I put a nice insurance bet on the Tories at 150-200 seats at 8/1 earlier this week courtesy of a free bet with Skybet, and am now green or break even on all outcomes (save NOM or Con majority), with extra thanks to a bet on a Lab majority at 5/1 over two years ago that covers most outcomes. I win big on Lab 500 seats plus. But I think things are being overstated at the moment.

Reform will poll well nationally but will fail to win seats locally. The shires will remain Conservative, and the Lab to RefUK defectors will be a spoiler in seats Labour was hoping to win.
    The highest Reform seat category on Betfair is "7 or over", and last time I looked it was 4 point something. That will probably come in as election approaches, as a lot of punters won't understand the FPTP hurdle they face. I reckon that makes a decent bet, either to get rid of before polling day or to hold if it really does look like the Tories are in third or fourth.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

So you’re in number 10, you call a snap election and three weeks later are now third. What do you do?

Fall back to fourth
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,865
    kle4 said:

Do people get super excited by Reform getting ahead, and abandon the Tories further to take part in the moment of their annihilation? Or will historic loyalty win out, at least for some?

Such times we live in.

The ideal scenario for Labour is that they split both ways.

More realistic is that they come home to mummy by the 4th July.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Well, you've tried being aggressive. You've tried begging forgiveness. You've tried warning people if you lose too badly they won't like that.

So you just parrot your lines and pray.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,075

Possibly. LD warnings about 2019 as well - and that reform was utterly absurd. We got told to go fight all kinds of stretch seats until the last 2 weeks when internal polls showed we could lose Swinson and Farron.

This doesn't feel like that, or 2010. The momentum towards ELE has been visible for a year. More. Had there been a Daveygasm, with Ed's fun strategy getting everyone going FUCK ME THAT'S BRILLIANT as they did with Clegg, then maybe it would just be a 2010-style bubble.

I come back to fantasy vs reality. Tories on fantasy island refusing to accept what they have done, and they're going to be annihilated for it.

How many seats, national % shares, who is the opposition - all up in the air. A chaos election produces chaos results.
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 205
    nico679 said:

I’m shocked that the Tories so far have received no bounce from their manifesto . They were essentially handing out money . So either the public don’t believe they can deliver on those pledges or they just hate the party and want them eviscerated.

There was no blockbuster policy to say "ooh look at this". Because Sunak is a boring Excel guy.