Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Who shall win the first debate? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,276
    He's tearing her apart verbally now.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,306
    SandraMc said:

I'm watching and it's getting sticky for Paula

That really is too much information.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,376
    I wouldn't want Jason Beer KC questioning me.

He is relentless, fantastically well briefed, and displays the right level of snark.
  • Options

The answer to "Who shall win the first debate?" is Jason Beer, obviously.

A reminder that Paula Vennells is an ordained Church of England priest.

I suggest she concentrates on that rather than trying to run complex businesses.
    Ironically the smarter voices in the CofE have observed that a lot of that organisation's current troubles are from people (e.g. Justin Welby) trying to run it like a complex business.
    Appointing an oil exec as Archbishop is clear proof of the Biblical dictum 'he that toucheth pitch shall be defiled.'
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,839
    edited May 22

TOPPING said:

What a brilliant point (again) by Beer - Vennells in her statement still in denial blaming "the Horizon system". Not the Post Office. He picks her up on this.

I know it is an epic tautology, but lawyers are awesome, Jason Beer KC is primus inter pares.
    You being typically overmodest, TSE? He's nearly as good as you, perhaps, but....

Edit: Seriously, she is really floundering. He's skewering her.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I suggest she concentrates on that rather than trying to run complex businesses.
    Ironically the smarter voices in the CofE have observed that a lot of that organisation's current troubles are from people (e.g. Justin Welby) trying to run it like a complex business.
    Appointing an oil exec as Archbishop is clear proof of the Biblical dictum 'he that toucheth pitch shall be defiled.'
    He read History and Law at Cambridge, he truly is the best of the best.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,069

He's tearing her apart verbally now.

She's got 3 more days of this!

Can we put Jason Beer on the Today programme?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,834

I wouldn't want Jason Beer KC questioning me.

He is relentless, fantastically well briefed, and displays the right level of snark.

To me arguably the funniest of his quotes was when they were reading a document from Second Sight which was in Comic Sans. He read through it as it was on screen and said "if XXX can look at the, frankly headache-inducing document..."
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,670
    Foxy said:

Former Sky News Political Editor Tweets in response to Ireland recognising Palestine

"Terrorism works"

Was that in reference to the foundation of the state of Ireland, State of Israel or of Palestine?

Or Northern Ireland for that matter.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,038
    Journos loving a bit of election speculation this morning. As if..... right? Lol
  • Options
    I find this unacceptable.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,406

Journos loving a bit of election speculation this morning. As if..... right? Lol

I think it's heads down and straight to Q4. Probably called in September
  • Options

Has he whipped out a pizza with pineapple and forced Vennells to eat it?
  • Options
    How did I miss this?

Paula Vennells: Ex-Post Office boss was shortlisted to be Bishop of London

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67923190.amp
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It was a comment by Paula Vennells.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,066
    TOPPING said:

What a brilliant point (again) by Beer - Vennells in her statement still in denial blaming "the Horizon system". Not the Post Office. He picks her up on this.

This whole thing is basically Hitler trying to play the Nuremberg defence.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I know it is an epic tautology, but lawyers are awesome, Jason Beer KC is primus inter pares.
    You being typically overmodest, TSE? He's nearly as good as you, perhaps, but....

Edit: Seriously, she is really floundering. He's skewering her.
    If this was a boxing match the referee would have stepped in already.
  • Options

There’s a saying in Glasgow about particularly useless folk that they couldn’t run a minodge (an informal savings collective). Couldn’t run a church raffle would have a similar vibe.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,901

How did I miss this?

How indeed? It's been discussed on here at some length!
    Presumably during some of those unfortunate periods during which you had to work for a living.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,339
    @LOS_Fisher

Speculation continues to ramp up in Westminster that Rishi Sunak could choose to cut & run today for a summer snap election…

We revealed in @FT last Sat that Tory bosses were exploring funding for a pre-recess poll…

Usual caveats apply, of course - we’ve all been here before!
  • Options

How did I miss this?

She'd have fit right in. The Diocese of London is institutionally broken.

This article from The Fence is gruesome: https://archive.ph/92iMy
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,288
    Families will today be urged to amass 3 day's worth of food and water

Families will today be urged to stockpile three days' worth of food and water to help build national 'resilience'. Deputy Prime Minister Oliver Dowden will advise people to make contingency plans for dealing with potential emergencies such as prolonged power cuts, cyber attacks and floods.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/galleries/article-13446309/Families-today-urged-amass-3-days-worth-food-water.html

HMG is making plans for the zombie apocalypse. Oliver Dowden is a Cambridge-educated lawyer.
  • Options
    @hzeffman

This morning PM reiterated his line that the general election will be in the second half of the year. Worth noting the second half of the year is now just 40 days away…

@alexmassie

There is no good time for an election but - and I appreciate this is a niche concern - it would be nice to be able to make some holiday plans. So just get on with it, one way or the other.

@ShippersUnbound

This is the position of everyone in Westminster. Not 'get on with it' but 'can we have some clarity, please'. Spouses about to commit murder. Special pleading for those trying to submit a book manuscript...

@hoffman_noa

For the sake of everyone's sanity the No10 comms team needs to either *explicitly* shut this down or give some sort of direction...

Tedious morning!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,826

How did I miss this?

She'd have fit right in. The Diocese of London is institutionally broken.

This article from The Fence is gruesome: https://archive.ph/92iMy
    Where there's people there's politics, but no politics is as nasty and vicious as Church politics!
  • Options

There are some smarter voices in the CofE?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,232
    Jason Beer picking up on the fact that Vennells had used a cut and paste in her apology.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,015
    ydoethur said:

While listening to Radiohead
  • Options
    @JasonGroves1

Westminster rumour mill in overdrive that Sunak is about to call election for July 4. May yet prove to be unfounded but No 10 currently silent on the question

@Smyth_Chris

There is Cabinet meeting this afternoon and lots of talk in Whitehall that announcement will come after

Silence from the centre

Some say July 4. But intriguing suggestion from some that the date set may be after the summer. Or even reshuffle

But something is definitely up
  • Options
    edited May 22
    She's lost it now. Tears.
  • Options
    Out with the tissues. No quarter given.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,040
    https://x.com/shippersunbound/status/1793215724011327507?s=46

Once again there are snap election rumours. I have been a sceptic every time so far. More importantly, people I trust who are in the loop have told me it's nonsense. This time, those people are silent
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@hzeffman

This morning PM reiterated his line that the general election will be in the second half of the year. Worth noting the second half of the year is now just 40 days away…

@alexmassie

There is no good time for an election but - and I appreciate this is a niche concern - it would be nice to be able to make some holiday plans. So just get on with it, one way or the other.

@ShippersUnbound

This is the position of everyone in Westminster. Not 'get on with it' but 'can we have some clarity, please'. Spouses about to commit murder. Special pleading for those trying to submit a book manuscript...

@hoffman_noa

For the sake of everyone's sanity the No10 comms team needs to either *explicitly* shut this down or give some sort of direction...

Tedious morning!

Unlikely. Keeping people guessing on the date is a key political strategy, (now that the fixed term parliament act has been abolished).
  • Options
    @ShippersUnbound

Once again there are snap election rumours. I have been a sceptic every time so far. More importantly, people I trust who are in the loop have told me it's nonsense. This time, those people are silent
  • Options
    She's started crying.

Just at the point that Jason Beer's clear inference is that she lied to the Select Committee.

Absolutely no sympathy for the victims. She only cries when it looks like she herself is in trouble.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,398

Foxy said:

Former Sky News Political Editor Tweets in response to Ireland recognising Palestine

"Terrorism works"

Was that in reference to the foundation of the state of Ireland, State of Israel or of Palestine?

Or anywhere. I'm struggling to think of a country whose foundation didn't involve violence. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    edited May 22
    Scott_xP said:

@JasonGroves1

Westminster rumour mill in overdrive that Sunak is about to call election for July 4. May yet prove to be unfounded but No 10 currently silent on the question

@Smyth_Chris

There is Cabinet meeting this afternoon and lots of talk in Whitehall that announcement will come after

Silence from the centre

Some say July 4. But intriguing suggestion from some that the date set may be after the summer. Or even reshuffle

But something is definitely up

I'd have thought 11th July, try and get some momentum from late June/Early July Rwanda flights (not saying this is wise)
  • Options

TOPPING said:

It's becoming difficult to watch.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@hzeffman

@alexmassie

@ShippersUnbound

@hoffman_noa

Tedious morning!

Please call an election to suit journalists Mr Sunak
  • Options
    July now fav on BF. FWIW.
  • Options
    He has broken her.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

It's becoming difficult to watch.
    She might have preferred a couple of years in the slammer to this.
  • Options
    His further professionalism is such that he is taking a 1/1,000th, but only a 1/1,000th step back in aggression as a result of her blubbing.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

He has broken her.

Getting to the "cruelty to small animals" stage.

They are taking a break.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,826

Foxy said:

"Terrorism works"

Or anywhere. I'm struggling to think of a country whose foundation didn't involve violence. Any suggestions?
    Slovakia?
  • Options

Foxy said:

"Terrorism works"

Norway in the modern age, arguably.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@ShippersUnbound

If he calls one later today, it'll save Vennells from being centre stage on tonight's news broadcasts.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,288
    Damn. Election speculation just as I am about to pop out to Sainsbury's. Tell Rishi to hang fire.

Also, 35 weeks (and a day) to a January 25th election!
  • Options

She's started crying.

Just at the point that Jason Beer's clear inference is that she lied to the Select Committee.

Absolutely no sympathy for the victims. She only cries when it looks like she herself is in trouble.

You may consider me callous, but in my experience people who cry under duress are normal exhibitng sympathy for themselves.

If she really wanted to help the poor sodding SPMs, she had plenty of opportunity before today.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,398
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

"Terrorism works"

Slovakia?
    Literally true but successor state to Czechoslovakia whose post war viability was strengthened by a fair amount of violent ethnic cleansing.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@ShippersUnbound

If he calls one later today, it'll save Vennells from being centre stage on tonight's news broadcasts.
    You could definitely argue that this inquiry is more important than here today gone tomorrow governments.
  • Options
    @gabyhinsliff

Calling a snap summer election shortly after the lobby & most of your own MPs have booked summer hols on the understanding there wouldn't be a summer election would make for such a furiously bad-tempered campaign launch I'm almost curious to see it
  • Options
    OK they're on the break. Onto other PB issues.

1. Still Jan 25 for the GE.
    2. Of course terrorism works. Archbishop Makarios/EOKA is usually a textbook example. But look at Ireland and also Israel. One man's terrorist, etc...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,172
    Just to make clear that when I made a post the other day saying that Sunak would be calling a GE today, this was just BS, not based on inside knowledge from CCHQ!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,118

"That there is an issue of unknown unknowns. If you don’t know something exists, it’s difficult to ask questions about it."

I am starting to get seriously :angry: now

Rumsfeld was actually articulating the point that you need to go out and look for trouble in your organisation. Because trouble is there, and it will find you.
    Why did he go looking for trouble in Iraq, then ?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,461
    Vennels's face when she's told Sunak is calling an election today will be like Hacker's when he's told his predecessor has just died.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

How did I miss this?

How indeed? It's been discussed on here at some length!
    Presumably during some of those unfortunate periods during which you had to work for a living.
    Work? The guy's a lawyer, Cookie.
  • Options
  • Options
    Sunak knows the euro footy is on this summer doesn't he?

Surely?

• Options

Scott_xP said:

@ShippersUnbound

You could definitely argue that this inquiry is more important than here today gone tomorrow governments.
    This, and the Blood Inquiry, Flat, to name just two.

Maybe, just maybe, the punters will start giving some thought to how we are governed, and try to lift their sights above the usual Punch & Judy politics?
  • Options

Surely?

He does.

Last time a government with a working majority was replaced by another party with a working majority was 1970 which took place during an international tournament in which England were the tournament favourites.
  • Options
    Love to know who's behind all this speculation about an early election.
  • Options

Surely?

No games on Thursday 4 July.
  • Options

Families will today be urged to amass 3 day's worth of food and water

Families will today be urged to stockpile three days' worth of food and water to help build national 'resilience'. Deputy Prime Minister Oliver Dowden will advise people to make contingency plans for dealing with potential emergencies such as prolonged power cuts, cyber attacks and floods.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/galleries/article-13446309/Families-today-urged-amass-3-days-worth-food-water.html

HMG is making plans for the zombie apocalypse. Oliver Dowden is a Cambridge-educated lawyer.

Is this just a subtle version of the Blair demon eyes poster ?

Subtle is unlikely from this government, though. Perhaps they're still assuming they'll be re-elected.
  • Options

She's started crying.

She's only crying for herself. F*ck her.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

SKS ?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,349

Quite limiting in English really. You can occassionally get away with thus, herewith, that one, such, but I would really recommend coming to terms with this.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Lord Finklestein.
  • Options
    megasaurmegasaur Posts: 586
    Cookie said:

C of E synods good prep for Post Office board meetings, a lot of bods earnestly declaring their unwavering faith in the absolute rightness of a system they don't begin to understand but do privately know for sure is bollocks
  • Options
    US political entrepreneurialism.

Crockett moves to trademark ‘bleach blonde bad built butch body’
    https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/4677117-jasmine-crockett-trademark-bleach-blonde-bad-built-butch-body-marjorie-taylor-greene/
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,496
    Nigelb said:

"That there is an issue of unknown unknowns. If you don’t know something exists, it’s difficult to ask questions about it."

I am starting to get seriously :angry: now

Rumsfeld was actually articulating the point that you need to go out and look for trouble in your organisation. Because trouble is there, and it will find you.
    Why did he go looking for trouble in Iraq, then ?
    One danger of addressing known unknowns is that it reveals unknown unknowns. But that's not necessarily a reason for not dealing with the known unknowns.

(FWIW, in this case - Iraq - it *was* a reason for not doing it, or certainly for not planning properly for the aftermath; but a specific instance is a poor platform on which to base a general case)
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It started at the weekend with news of a 'planning/strategy for a snap election' meeting
  • Options

Surely?

He does.

Last time a government with a working majority was replaced by another party with a working majority was 1970 which took place during an international tournament in which England were the tournament favourites.
    England cannot be favourites for the Euros, surely. If so that is a lay
  • Options

Surely?

How would he know?

It's not on his spreadsheet
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,087

Just to make clear that when I made a post the other day saying that Sunak would be calling a GE today, this was just BS, not based on inside knowledge from CCHQ!

Very strong rumour from inside Westminster that important announcement will be made at 5pm following the Cabinet meeting.

Probably about reintroducing the cones hotline.

• Options
    Taz said:

Surely?

He does.

I wouldn't make them favourites for the Home Championship
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,333

Foxy said:

"Terrorism works"

The split of Czechoslovakia seemed to be relatively peaceful, but then to what extent do you consider the violence that occurred to Czechoslovakia over many years part of the foundation of Slovakia and Czechia?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Surely?

He will have to pick a date when England are still looking good and haven't yet sent a penalty kick to the moon.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Very strong rumour from inside Westminster that important announcement will be made at 5pm following the Cabinet meeting.
    Let me guess. Another relaunch?
  • Options
    @mikeysmith

Can't imagine the PM heading off for his weekly scheduled audience with the King after lunch will calm anything down...
  • Options
    Taz said:

Surely?

He does.

We're favourites on Betfair.

I lay England at every tournament, I am not changing my strategy.

The curse of Harry Kane/Spurs is real.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,040
    Barnesian said:

That would be a Major announcement.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Surely?

He will have to pick a date when England are still looking good and haven't yet sent a penalty kick to the moon.
    England should still be in it by then. Good chance they lose to France in the semi final on Wednesday 10 July, so Thursday 11 July would be suboptimal.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,851

How did I miss this?

That’s been mentioned a few times - the CoE is trying to make part of it more professional.

Although even if she had done no wrong she was very much the wrong person / skill set for that job
  • Options
    I still have debilitating non Covid man flu at the moment.

I may well be asleep during this election announcement.
  • Options
    edited May 22

Surely?

The distraction would be a good thing for Sunak. A 4th July election would be in between England safely negotiating the round of 16, but before any defeat at a later stage - peak feelgood factor and irrational optimism.

Imagine if the 1970 GE had been before England's defeat...
  • Options

Barnesian said:

More chess sets for schools probably.
  • Options
    @AlexDaviesJones

Have very annoyingly had a longstanding meeting with a Minister- that was scheduled for this afternoon - cancelled!😡
  • Options

Surely?

The distraction would be a good thing for Sunak. A 4th July election would be in between England safely negotiating the round of 16, but before any defeat at a later stage - peak feelgood factor and irrational optimism.

Imagine if the 1970 GE had been before England's defeat in the final...
    Scotland have never progressed to the knockout round of any major tournament.

SNP down to zero seats?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,994

How did I miss this?

Yes and she did not get the job, Sarah Mullally did and she is not even an associate minister now

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/04/26/former-post-office-boss-steps-back-church-role-wake-miscarriage/
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Inspired. Let Starmer demand an election at PMQs then give him one like a good ickle boy
  • Options

I still have debilitating non Covid man flu at the moment.

I may well be asleep during this election announcement.

Happened to me too, on a couple of occasions watching Rishi talk.
  • Options
    @ShippersUnbound

Two thoughts:
    1) if the election is not on, this is Gordon Brown levels of in competence at not killing the rumours
    2) judging by the levels of angst in my whatsapps from ministers and MPs, a cabinet and/or 1922 committee revolt is not out of the question
  • Options
    megasaurmegasaur Posts: 586
    July is a screaming lay. What would be the reason for it? The only one I can see is that it is a response by Sunak personally to an attempted putsch, following his sub Truss ratings.

This post may not age well.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,218
    Cookie said:

The CofE includes some incredibly wise people.

It's just that wisdom doesn't equal smart, and the really wise ones aren't in charge. And that's only partially because nobody wise would want to run the Church of England.

But the importing of KPI culture (which London did and does a lot- Rev was a very well-researched comedy show, much like Yes, Minister) has created a lot of problems.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@LOS_Fisher

Speculation continues to ramp up in Westminster that Rishi Sunak could choose to cut & run today for a summer snap election…

We revealed in @FT last Sat that Tory bosses were exploring funding for a pre-recess poll…

Usual caveats apply, of course - we’ve all been here before!

How snappy can a snap election be? Just remembered I've got a speculative tenner at quite long odds on a June election. Any chance?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,994

Weekly C of E church attendance did rise last year however

https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2024/24-may/news/uk/archbishops-take-comfort-from-small-signs-of-growth-in-church-attendance
  • Options

Barnesian said:

More chess sets for schools probably.
    His record is more checkered.
  • Options

Surely?

Imagine if the 1970 GE had been before England's defeat...
    Scotland have never progressed to the knockout round of any major tournament.

SNP down to zero seats?
    That could be a fun twist. Scotland have their best ever performance, and the SNP hold enough seats to deny Labour a majority.
This discussion has been closed.