Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Houston, we have a problem – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,764
edited May 17 in General
Houston, we have a problem – politicalbetting.com

Nearly three-quarters of Texans believe their state has lost focus on pressing problems in favor of “an extreme conservative agenda", according to a new poll. https://t.co/U8v0Wq8nJt

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,708
    edited May 17
    Morning.

First like Starmer and Biden.

Oh and as I mentioned yesterday, hat tip BBC, Thursday December 12th sounds like a plausible election date to me. It’s the 5th anniversary of the last one. Kinda works.

Unlike dear old decrepiter J though I’m not telling y’all that it’s going to be this or that date. I doubt anyone has a clue yet, not even the current PM.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,317
    Second.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,620
    It is, sadly, unlikely they will do anything about it though
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,978
    Don't mess with Texas, as it says on the souvenirs in Houston airports.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,377
    Heathener said:

Morning.

Oh and as I mentioned yesterday, hat tip BBC, Thursday December 12th sounds like a plausible election date to me. It’s the 5th anniversary of the last one. Kinda works.

Unlike dear old decrepiter J though I’m not telling y’all that it’s going to be this or that date. I doubt anyone has a clue yet, not even the current PM.

so just talking bollox as usual
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,687
    edited May 17
    DougSeal said:

It is, sadly, unlikely they will do anything about it though

Not this electoral cycle, but things do change.

Even if party loyalties will see Republicans re-elected this time around, the interests of big business, big oil, and the GOP are no longer very well aligned. And neither are the loonier aspects of MAGA ideology and public opinion.

And nationally, it will likely make the difference, as TSE suggests.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,028
    edited May 17
    That's not Trump. The actions described in the header comes from Republicans pushing "an extreme conservative agenda". More than that, and we are starting to see it here, is the sense that anything goes, that all is fair in love, war and politics. The other side is so bad that we must use every lever at our disposal and put our own thumbs on the scale.

This is what brought us Cameron's gerrymandering, Boris's prorogation and expulsion of his opponents, and Starmer's lying to get elected, and preferring Natalie Elphicke to Dianne Abbott.

This is the end of the good chap theory of government.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,708
    malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

Morning.

I don’t mind cutting comments if they’re witty or clever. This was neither.

It’s also profoundly ungentlemanly but I guess it would take the re-education of a lifetime to explain to you that nuance.

Have a nice day everyone else ;)

xx
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Morning.

But like "dear old decrepiter J" you are touting December 12th as plausible. The significance of it being the same date as 2019 is that it gives Rishi a degree of cover from the Boris fanboi wing of the party.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,100
    Have we had a You Gov this week

Currently the pollster with the largest Lab lead by a margin Am interested to see if it is still near last weeks 30 point lead (nearly 10% above the non YG average) or has come back to mid 20s
  • Options
    The Sunday Times Rich List 2024 revealed
    It features the King, the prime minister, inventors and industrialists, as well as some exciting new names, but what does the record fall in the number of billionaires mean for Britain?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sunday-times-rich-list-2024-revealed-plt3t2xrt (£££)

What indeed? What does the record fall in the number of billionaires mean for Britain? That Gordon Brown sold the gold too cheaply? The prospect of VAT on school fees is scaring them away? I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with 14 years of Tories in Number 10.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,205

Currently the pollster with the largest Lab lead by a margin Am interested to see if it is still near last weeks 30 point lead (nearly 10% above the non YG average) or has come back to mid 20s

All depends on Reform vote. It was somewhat defying gravity in recent polls.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,505
    Off-topic:

I'm probably going to be in the market for a new (or <2 years old) car this year. I have always bought cars outright, and we have the money to do so without financing. But should I consider leasing?

TIA. :)
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,975

Heathener said:

Morning.

But like "dear old decrepiter J" you are touting December 12th as plausible. The significance of it being the same date as 2019 is that it gives Rishi a degree of cover from the Boris fanboi wing of the party.
    It's intellectually tidy, but it's also shit politics that will annoy almost everyone.

Boris haters will be reminded of Boris and how his party deserve a kicking.

Boris lovers will be reminded of Boris and how the ungrateful pygmies who dumped him deserve a kicking.

On the other hand, intellectually tidy shit politics is very much Rishi's MO.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,505
    "French police kill man trying to 'burn synagogue'"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cp3g8kl8dd5o
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,083
    Trump leading by about 10 and Cruz by 5-10 in Texas polling so far.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,541
    Morning all. Hope it's as bright and sunny in your part of the world as it is here in wonderful Winchcombe.

Texas is the Democrats' rainbow over the horizon. It's true it is trending their way but always remains tantalisingly out of reach. This may of course be partly due to the skilful gerrymandering of the local GOP which has had control of the electoral process since Davy Crocket was a boy but that isn't going to change any time so. So this is surely a QTWTAIN.

On a related matter, I note the The Donald's price on the Betfair Presidential market has been shortening recently. I no longer follow the form closely enough to be sure why but assume it is because of all the free publicity from his trial? I still remain wedded to the view that there are enough US voters not afflicted with Trump Derangement Syndrome to see Old Joe home, but am concerned this may be wishful thinking.

What's the consensus here? I have the impression that most share my view that in the end the Baddies will lose, but I don't see any clear evidence of it happening. (The article referred to in the thread header is interesting, but hardly conclusive.)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,081

Off-topic:

I'm probably going to be in the market for a new (or less than 2 years old) car this year. I have always bought cars outright, and we have the money to do so without financing. But should I consider leasing?

TIA. :)

Leasing is the way to go.
  • Options
    As a working class Yorkshireman I have to say I loved all the oik chat on the last thread.
  • Options

Not yet.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,397

Heathener said:

Morning.

I did highlight this date a while back, with the idea being that the PM announces it in his leader´s speech at the Tory conference on October 2nd.

As for the US, I think the GOP are in real trouble in both the House and Senate and in many State contests, but Trump still has a chance, largely because Biden is also personally quite unpopular- his VP even more so- and he gets little credit for any economic recovery. It is certainly not over yet in the Presidential race, however much one may loathe Trump.
  • Options

Morning all. Hope it's as bright and sunny in your part of the world as it is here in wonderful Winchcombe.

Texas is the Democrats' rainbow over the horizon. It's true it is trending their way but always remains tantalisingly out of reach. This may of course be partly due to the skilful gerrymandering of the local GOP which has had control of the electoral process since Davy Crocket was a boy but that isn't going to change any time so. So this is surely a QTWTAIN.

On a related matter, I note the The Donald's price on the Betfair Presidential market has been shortening recently. I no longer follow the form closely enough to be sure why but assume it is because of all the free publicity from his trial? I still remain wedded to the view that there are enough US voters not afflicted with Trump Derangement Syndrome to see Old Joe home, but am concerned this may be wishful thinking.

What's the consensus here? I have the impression that most share my view that in the end the Baddies will lose, but I don't see any clear evidence of it happening. (The article referred to in the thread header is interesting, but hardly conclusive.)

I don't think there's a consensus.

FWIW, I whittled away at my Trump short over the last few months (partly by taking profits on shorting Michelle O and RFK Jnr). At he's now dropped just below evens, I'm tempted to reload.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Morning.

It's intellectually tidy, but it's also shit politics that will annoy almost everyone.

Boris haters will be reminded of Boris and how his party deserve a kicking.

Boris lovers will be reminded of Boris and how the ungrateful pygmies who dumped him deserve a kicking.

On the other hand, intellectually tidy shit politics is very much Rishi's MO.
    What is odd about media speculation around the election date is that the reason given for avoiding November, that it clashes with the American election, which is at best a spurious cultural cringe, is more accurately a reason for avoiding a December or January election because that would mean, potentially, that both countries change government at the same time, since we change the day after voting but America pauses for two months to allow the newly-elected President to be notified and then ride on horseback from Florida to Washington DC.

• Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,428

Don't mess with Texas, as it says on the souvenirs in Houston airports.

… which was originally designed as a slogan for an anti-littering campaign: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Mess_with_Texas
  • Options

Of course you’re interested. A drop will allow you to roll out the second, after “Scotch Experts”, most tedious catchphrase on PB
  • Options
    JSpringJSpring Posts: 98
    Worth noting that a lot of polling in the United States has a clear partisan or ideological agenda, in a way that isn't the case in most of the democratic world. To quote from the quoted section:

"The findings by progressive advocacy group Unlocking America’s Future (UAF)"

Pretty sure that there have been equivalent conservative organisations conducting polls that show a vast majority in favour of restrictive abortion laws and such like, even when those views aren't being reflected in other polls and in election results.
  • Options

The reason I backed Biden in 2020 was how badly Trump was doing with independents, he's doing even worse this time around.

The problem for me right now is the state polling, which is very good for Trump.

But don't always fall for the headline figure, likely voters means Biden wins.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,771
    More than slightly underwhelmed by this to be honest. A progressive organisation manages to get a poll saying policies they oppose are unpopular. Well.

In the real world the last poll in Texas was on 1st May and had Trump ahead by 8 percentage points, 48:40, Texas has 2 Republican senators, in the last State elections 57.3% voted Republican who have a comfortable majority in the House of Representatives (86:64)... I could go on but you get the point. This is a solidly Republican state.

The position nationally remains that Trump has a small lead. He can afford to lose by 3-4% and still win the Electoral College. Increasingly, I am seeing articles that say this is his to lose. He might, of course, if he was convicted for example but the evidence to date would suggest that this would make little difference to his support. In recent days all of the Republican leadership have been turning up at his trial to kowtow and "show support." Republicans seem to have largely won the argument that this is lawfare already. I am increasingly pessimistic.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 48,287
    Heathener said:

Morning.

i reckon Sunak night take it to the absolute end. Why not?

1. It gives him the longest possible time in the job - not to be sniffed at

2. It allows more time for a black swan to save him

3. It gives the maximum time for the economy to turn and for the Rwanda boats policy to take an effect. And there is TENTATIVE evidence that both are happening

If by January boats are halved and thousands of migrants are fleeing to Ireland, that really does put Starmer in a tricky spot. Because Sir Kir Royale cannot walk back from his commitment to cancel Rwanda

Could it save the election for the Tories? Surely not. Could it save a fair few seats? Yes, plausibly
  • Options
    Remarkable stat in this diatribe against pensioners in CityAM: https://www.cityam.com/janet-street-porter-embodies-this-countrys-pensioner-problem/

25% of pensioners are millionaires.
  • Options
    edited May 17

Good morning

I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone who posted congratulations to my wife and I on our diamond wedding anniversary yesterday as I was absent from PB for the day

Our eldest son and daughter in law are mid Atlantic on their flight from Vancouver to Heathrow to join all our family for a weekend of celebrations

I think maybe @OldKingCole and I are the only ones to achieve this milestone and contribute to this forum but hope many will follow in time, as all politicians seem to want to cuddle up to us oldies

Once again thank you

Hope you choke to death on your lavabread

NO ONLY JOKING

A diamond wedding anniversary is an amazing achievement. I was married for three years (three very happy years, mind)

Well done and enjoy the festives!
  • Options
    JSpring said:

Worth noting that a lot of polling in the United States has a clear partisan or ideological agenda, in a way that isn't the case in most of the democratic world. To quote from the quoted section:

"The findings by progressive advocacy group Unlocking America’s Future (UAF)"

Pretty sure that there have been equivalent conservative organisations conducting polls that show a vast majority in favour of restrictive abortion laws and such like, even when those views aren't being reflected in other polls and in election results.

We are so lucky we have the British Polling Council, America needs an equivalent.
  • Options

As a working class Yorkshireman I have to say I loved all the oik chat on the last thread.

My experience of Oxford was that public school toffs went round like they owned the place, comprehensively educated Northerners could set themselves up as working class heroes, and both found common ground in despising southern grammar school, or grammar school adjacent, types like me. It also explains the hate for SKS on here
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,616
    TimS said:

Remarkable stat in this diatribe against pensioners in CityAM: https://www.cityam.com/janet-street-porter-embodies-this-countrys-pensioner-problem/

Definitely not me but my wife and I have a whole lot more than money can buy
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

My experience of Oxford was that public school toffs went round like they owned the place, comprehensively educated Northerners could set themselves up as working class heroes, and both found common ground in despising southern grammar school, or grammar school adjacent, types like me. It also explains the hate for SKS on here
    The worst are privately educated Northerners, we sneer at everybody.

That said I sneered the most at Johnny Come Lately colleges, honestly if you weren't founded in the 14th century or earlier you had no business using the university's good name.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

That said I sneered the most at Johnny Come Lately colleges, honestly if you weren't founded in the 14th century or earlier you had no business using the university's good name.
    1558. See? The Equality Act should be updated to include “southern grammar school and 16th century Oxbridge college educated” as a protected characteristic. We can’t catch a break.
  • Options
    TimS said:

And they queue up for their free bus passes, get free TV licences, get winter fuel allowances etc. These benefits are clearly needed for poorer pensioners but they are so absurdly focused and unaffordable at a time when we have such large deficits and so many better priorities. Eventually, some government is going to have the courage to do something about this.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,975
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

1558. See? The Equality Act should be updated to include “southern grammar school and 16th century Oxbridge college educated” as a protected characteristic. We can’t catch a break.
    What about "Southern sixth form college and Oxbridge-but-so-distant-others-doubt-our-very-existence" types?
  • Options

And the updated moderator guidance from @rcs1000

You are allowed to use the c-word about the following individuals:

- Nat Rothschild
    - Zak Goldsmith

And ... errr ... that's about it...
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

What about "Southern sixth form college and Oxbridge-but-so-distant-others-doubt-our-very-existence" types?
    Certainly you should ask your MP to propose that as an amendment at the committee stage.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,549

Off-topic:

I'm probably going to be in the market for a new (or <2 years old) car this year. I have always bought cars outright, and we have the money to do so without financing. But should I consider leasing?

TIA. :)</p>

Pretty sure there is a PB expert on the car market. I’m sure if you ask him nicely, comrade…
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

My son's friends seem mildly surprised that he actually has a house with running water and power. Their understanding of Scotland is remarkably incomplete. But he is loving his time there. So much so that right now a life in academia looks highly attractive to him.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

And the updated moderator guidance from @rcs1000

You are allowed to use the c-word about the following individuals:

- Nat Rothschild
    - Zak Goldsmith

And ... errr ... that's about it...
    Galloway a VERY obvious omission.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

malcolmg said:

Heathener said:

Morning.

I don’t mind cutting comments if they’re witty or clever. This was neither.

It’s also profoundly ungentlemanly but I guess it would take the re-education of a lifetime to explain to you that nuance.

Have a nice day everyone else ;)

xx
    Not meant to be witty or clever, just reality which is alien to you.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,994
    TimS said:

That's an amazing stat. I wonder if it counts private pensions somehow, or if it's almost entirely house prices?

The other thing to bear in mind with that is that pensioners will be disproportionately wealthy, because all the poor pensioners will be dead, given the wide disparities in life expectancy.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DavidL said:

DougSeal said:

My son's friends seem mildly surprised that he actually has a house with running water and power. Their understanding of Scotland is remarkably incomplete. But he is loving his time there. So much so that right now a life in academia looks highly attractive to him.
    I struggled through university basically because I was at the wrong one. I did the Oxford entrance as my best friend was doing it and was as surprised as anyone when I got in. I was an dysthymic antelope in a university full of self-confident hyenas (including Liz Truss and Sian Berry at the time). However, two and a half decades later, I went back to Birkbeck and it went so swimmingly that I’m thinking of doing a doctorate.
    “swimmingly”
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,742

DougSeal said:

Sneering is not a pleasant thing to do, Mr Eagles, but perhaps you ought to save your sneering for people whose families were not here at all even 100 years ago, let alone in the 14th Century. And who then go in for sneering at people whose ancestors made this country what it is.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TimS said:

And they queue up for their free bus passes, get free TV licences, get winter fuel allowances etc. These benefits are clearly needed for poorer pensioners but they are so absurdly focused and unaffordable at a time when we have such large deficits and so many better priorities. Eventually, some government is going to have the courage to do something about this.
    You are dreaming David, you need to be about a hundred to get a TV licence, winter allowance is a fraction of a % of the tax I pay and I woudl not stoop to use a bus so get zilch.
    Grandson does make use of the free pass mind you.
    It would cost significantly more to means test those benefits than it costs. Pensioners with money do not use buses, you have to be really really old to get TV licence and fuel allowance is not that much and again would cost more to means test.
    Given you are on the cusp I am surprised you ahve fallen into the bash and starve a pensioner brigade because I don't get it brigade.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DavidL said:

DougSeal said:

I struggled through university basically because I was at the wrong one. I did the Oxford entrance as my best friend was doing it and was as surprised as anyone when I got in. I was an dysthymic antelope in a university full of self-confident hyenas (including Liz Truss and Sian Berry at the time). However, two and a half decades later, I went back to Birkbeck and it went so swimmingly that I’m thinking of doing a doctorate.
    “swimmingly”
    Have I used that wrongly? I thought it rather s spiffing description.
  • Options
    The Oxbridge percentage on this site might be a touch higher than the internet average, I reckon.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DavidL said:

DougSeal said:

“swimmingly”
    I merely wished to show I’d spotted what you did there.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,703
    ClippP said:

DougSeal said:

Sneering is not a pleasant thing to do, Mr Eagles, but perhaps you ought to save your sneering for people whose families were not here at all even 100 years ago, let alone in the 14th Century. And who then go in for sneering at people whose ancestors made this country what it is.
    Surely everyone's ancestors were Adam and Eve.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DougSeal said:

Hope he wears his kilt David
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,521
    edited May 17
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DavidL said:

DougSeal said:

“swimmingly”
    Don't pay any attention to people who were incarcerated in abusive institutions. It's a perfectly good adverb. A quick check in the OED* shows it's good enough for the likes of Otway and Macaulay.

The article on Chatham goes on swimmingly.
    T. B. Macaulay in G. O. Trevelyan, Life & Letters of Macaulay (1876) vol. II. x. 15

*in case it had some occult meaning of a specialised perversion, etc.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DavidL said:

DougSeal said:

“swimmingly”
    I merely wished to show I’d spotted what you did there.
    That’s one step ahead of me!
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,269
    malcolmg said:

I woudl not stoop to use a bus

The voice of boomer privilege
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

You are dreaming David, you need to be about a hundred to get a TV licence, winter allowance is a fraction of a % of the tax I pay and I woudl not stoop to use a bus so get zilch.
    It would cost significantly more to means test those benefits than it costs. Pensioners with money do not use buses, you have to be really really old to get TV licence and fuel allowance is not that much and again would cost more to means test.
    Given you are on the cusp I am surprised you ahve fallen into the bash and starve a pensioner brigade because I don't get it brigade.
    "Would not stoop to use a bus"

This is the attitude that has basically bankrupted the country. The bus services that young people and poorer people use to get to the workplace have been cut by roughly half since 2010.

That means that you have to live within walking or cycling distance of work, forcing millions of young people into only a few square miles in the city centre (or London), supercharging the housing crisis. Alternatively, they spend years saving up enough money for driving lessons, car insurance and the car itself.

Meanwhile rich pensioners, who have much higher rates of car ownership, get a free bus pass...
    Under 22 year olds in Scotland are also eligible for a bus pass.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,388
    edited May 17

Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

This is the attitude that has basically bankrupted the country. The bus services that young people and poorer people use to get to the workplace have been cut by roughly half since 2010.

That means that you have to live within walking or cycling distance of work, forcing millions of young people into only a few square miles in the city centre (or London), supercharging the housing crisis. Alternatively, they spend years saving up enough money for driving lessons, car insurance and the car itself.

Meanwhile rich pensioners, who have much higher rates of car ownership, get a free bus pass...
    Does not matter if that bus does not exist.

I'm against all forms of free public transport on the basis that the money would be better spent on more routes and more frequent services.
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 411
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

You don't have to create expensive means testing to deter the relatively affluent from age-related benefits. All you do is to assign them a cash value, and require those claiming them to add that value to their declared income for tax purposes. If, like me, you're fortunate enough to live somewhere using a bus makes better financial sense much of the time than driving, you'll (relatively) happily pay the tax: if you don't you won't claim the bus pass.

Ditto free TV licences (for which you merely need to be over 75, which is roughly this decade's over-50).
  • Options
    megasaurmegasaur Posts: 562
    "progressive advocacy group Unlocking America’s Future (UAF)" is just where I would go for a non partisan take on Texan politics. I was staying a bit ago in the Florida panhandle with a posh by US standards, not obviously mad woman who casually disclosed that her preferred car gun is a custom six shot revolver chambered for 3 x .45 solid nose and 3 x .410 birdshot. This is the sort of woman who over here would be most notable for opening her garden for charity once a year.

It's a foreign country. They do things differently there.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,898
    edited May 17

TimS said:

That's an amazing stat. I wonder if it counts private pensions somehow, or if it's almost entirely house prices?

The other thing to bear in mind with that is that pensioners will be disproportionately wealthy, because all the poor pensioners will be dead, given the wide disparities in life expectancy.
    This pensioner millionaire stat requires worked examples to know what exactly is meant.

1) Are we talking household or individual wealth

2) What value is placed on income bearing assets which die with the individual. So if I am a retired worker with a guaranteed work pension of say £20,000 per annum, is my 'wealth' from that zero, or is it the actual or national underlying value of the asset which bears £20,000 per annum - which will be hundreds of thousands of pounds.

It also needs to be kept in mind that a house is worth a house for most practical purposes, whether you live in Accrington or the smarter bits of the South East/London.
  • Options
    edited May 17
    Buon giorno. I’ve made it to the end of the heel of Italy. The uttermost cliffs of Puglia, staying in a weird little tumbledown cottage

It is much much wilder than I expected. Sometimes gloomy, sometimes too hot, the wind never stops and the seas are always turbulent

It’s oddly like the west coast of Ireland - but drier and bleaker and poorer. Its even got dolmens and standing stones

[insert non fuzzy photo here]

The restless Adriatic is magnificently angry and moody, like a beautiful wronged woman after half a bottle of Lidl brandy
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DougSeal said:

DavidL said:

DougSeal said:

From my incredibly reliable poll sample of 1 I would say that the Oxford system really suits people who are very focused on and genuinely love their subject. Last year my son had 1 to 1 tutorials in one of his topics.

Compared to my somewhat ancient experience and indeed that of his siblings which is more recent he works incredibly hard, probably about 70 hours a week. It certainly wouldn't suit or benefit those who want a degree to tick a box. To be honest I am slightly jealous of his opportunities compared with the relatively boring and certainly uninspiring education I got. But he worked hard to get it and has thrown himself into it with enthusiasm.
    Hard working and incredibly focussed does not sound like Boris, and surely the whole point of Oxbridge is not to study but to throw yourself into politics or rowing or theatre or comedy; to dress up for dinner; to make connections who will give you your first job, and when you foul up there, your second. Hard work and focus is well down the list.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,763
    Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

Free bus passes for pensioners are something of a freebie for the state though. The services would run anyway - we may as well fill them up with pensioners. Finger in the air: 75% fall into the category of "if they didn't have their bus pass they would either drive or not make the journey" - for these, the state benefits slightly by either keeping cars off the road or having pensioners mobile and active.
    I tend in most cases towards the Ron Swanson position, but in the case of public transport - certainly for public transport with space, like buses after 9.30am - I can see the argument for extending the bus pass beyond pensioners.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

Well the reason for the last point Malcolm is that I try to look at what is in the country's interest rather than mine. I don't wholly succeed of course but I do try.

I do use an old fogey's rail card to get slightly cheaper trains to my work on occasion but I find it morally wrong that wealthy people are receiving these benefits when we have people living homeless, children living in damp and squalid conditions and sick and disabled being hassled. Our priorities are wrong.
  • Options

TimS said:

It's a stark stat, but doesn't particularly surprise me. For me, the more startling stat in that piece was that the average person born in 1956 has received £291,000 more from the state than they have put in.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DougSeal said:

DavidL said:

DougSeal said:

From my incredibly reliable poll sample of 1 I would say that the Oxford system really suits people who are very focused on and genuinely love their subject. Last year my son had 1 to 1 tutorials in one of his topics.

Compared to my somewhat ancient experience and indeed that of his siblings which is more recent he works incredibly hard, probably about 70 hours a week. It certainly wouldn't suit or benefit those who want a degree to tick a box. To be honest I am slightly jealous of his opportunities compared with the relatively boring and certainly uninspiring education I got. But he worked hard to get it and has thrown himself into it with enthusiasm.
    Hard working and incredibly focussed does not sound like Boris, and surely the whole point of Oxbridge is not to study but to throw yourself into politics or rowing or theatre or comedy; to dress up for dinner; to make connections who will give you your first job, and when you foul up there, your second. Hard work and focus is well down the list.
    There are plenty that work very hard with a single minded focus but they tend, in my recollection, to stay in academia.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,327
    Cookie said:

TimS said:

It's a stark stat, but doesn't particularly surprise me. For me, the more startling stat in that piece was that the average person born in 1956 has received £291,000 more from the state than they have put in.
    Is that inflation adjusted?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

TimS said:

Almost as if there has been economic growth since 1956.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DougSeal said:

DavidL said:

DougSeal said:

He was chair of the debating committee for a year so it is not all work and no play but I understand that he almost never goes to the formals etc.
  • Options
    edited May 17
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

I'm against all forms of free public transport on the basis that the money would be better spent on more routes and more frequent services.
    If you’re a kid on minimum wage or doing a college course pretty sure they feel it’s more helpful to their existence to have a bus pass for the routes that do exist than not.

Which particular routes in your stamping ground Edinburgh do you feel have been unhelpfully cut?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,898
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

There is of course no such thing as a free lunch or bus ride - it is all paid for somewhere.

I suspect the largest 'free' transport in the UK is the 'free' provision of a road network, extensive though round here full of pot holes, for cars.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DougSeal said:

DavidL said:

DougSeal said:

He was chair of the debating committee for a year so it is not all work and no play but I understand that he almost never goes to the formals etc.
    Boris was neither hard working nor focused. I have spoken to enough of his contemporaries at School to be pretty clear that he was lazy, entitled, and brilliant back then and his character doesn't seem to have changed since.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Cookie said:

TimS said:

Is that inflation adjusted?
    Well I presume so, because presumably the figure would be vastly bigger if it were not. But it's not written as a wikipedia article!
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,037
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

Quite a lot of my well-off pensioner friends use the bus pass, as they like to spend their pensions at a variety of pubs. One group had a trip from Hampshire to Scotland using only free buses.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,994
    Cookie said:

TimS said:

Given the size of the public debt created how could that be otherwise?
  • Options
    edited May 17

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

If you’re a kid on minimum wage or doing a college course pretty sure they feel it’s more helpful to their existence to have a bus pass for the routes that do exist than not.

Which particular routes in your stamping ground Edinburgh do you feel have been unhelpfully cut?
    Edinburgh is excellent. No complaints.

Where I grew up is a different story, with frequency roughly halved between the local towns (one of which has a college) and villages. I used to sit around doing nothing for an hour and half after work, and couldn't do any shift that started earlier than about 8.30am.
  • Options

The Sunday Times Rich List 2024 revealed
    It features the King, the prime minister, inventors and industrialists, as well as some exciting new names, but what does the record fall in the number of billionaires mean for Britain?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sunday-times-rich-list-2024-revealed-plt3t2xrt (£££)

What indeed? What does the record fall in the number of billionaires mean for Britain? That Gordon Brown sold the gold too cheaply? The prospect of VAT on school fees is scaring them away? I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with 14 years of Tories in Number 10.

It's not all bad news.
    The housing asylum seekers business is booming.

British asylum housing tycoon breaks into Sunday Times rich list
    Graham King, whose firm is paid £3.5m a day to accommodate arrivals in the UK, listed among country’s 350 richest people
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/article/2024/may/17/british-asylum-housing-tycoon-breaks-into-sunday-times-rich-list
  • Options
    From nieces and nephews and sons/daughters of friends I can say with some authority that, ex-Oxbridge, the pecking order for universities is as follows:

-1 (out of reach coz of the roylz): St. Andrews
    0 - Durham
    1 - Exeter, "Royal Agricultural University" (previously RAC)
    2 - Newcastle, Leeds, Edinburgh, Bristol, UEA (for arts esp History of Art), Reading (for ag)
    3 - the rest

And no I don't mean academically.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,256
    DavidL said:

TimS said:

Talk with oldies and you'll hear that none of the freebies count meanwhile prices have apparently doubled, all of their pension increase is being taken back off them in tax and they're being discriminated against by not benefiting from the national insurance cut.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,079
    edited May 17
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

Does that extend to kids who live more than 3 miles from their nearest catchment school ?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,323
    TOPPING said:

From nieces and nephews and sons/daughters of friends I can say with some authority that, ex-Oxbridge, the pecking order for universities is as follows:

0 - Durham
    2 - Newcastle, Leeds, Edinburgh, Bristol, UEA (for arts esp History of Art), Reading (for ag)
    3 - the rest

I’m guessing that your survey base was a bit dim as they left out a few of the top ranked unis in the world such as Imperial, UCL and LSE which attract a lot of moneyed and connected people who are too bright to waste their time at Durham and Exeter etc and also get to spend their university years partying in London rather than some shitty provincial clubs.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

Does that extend to kids who live more than 3 miles from their nearest catchment school ?
    Over half my secondary school was bussed in, but these were not public scheduled services.

I might be showing my Scotland/rural upbringing - if that is not how they work elsewhere, then I would make an exception!
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,256
    I had the thought that the reason that Biden chose Harris for VP is because she is so unpopular electorally.

If Biden had a well liked VP then he would have come under intense pressure to step down this year.

Is Sleepy Joe more cunning than we realise ?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,725
    TimS said:

Sounds both plausible (mostly through property, not cash) and also wildly wrong. Was there a source? And if a couple are married with joint assets of 1 million does that count double or just once?
  • Options
    boulay said:

TOPPING said:

0 - Durham
    3 - the rest

I’m guessing that your survey base was a bit dim as they left out a few of the top ranked unis in the world such as Imperial, UCL and LSE which attract a lot of moneyed and connected people who are too bright to waste their time at Durham and Exeter etc and also get to spend their university years partying in London rather than some shitty provincial clubs.
    Topping is ranking them as finishing schools, not academically.
  • Options
    boulay said:

TOPPING said:

0 - Durham
    3 - the rest

Insecure much?

Don't get all snitty I said it wasn't academically. "blah blah blah ranked unis in the world blah blah".
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,079
    edited May 17
    Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

Over half my secondary school was bussed in, but these were not public scheduled services.

I might be showing my Scotland/rural upbringing - if that is not how they work elsewhere, then I would make an exception!
    OK so transport for a specific purpose but not available to the general public being free is OK :) ? And yes that is the status quo ante for secondary age pupils in my village.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

boulay said:

TOPPING said:

0 - Durham
    3 - the rest

Topping is ranking them as finishing schools, not academically.
    Although interestingly, as I might have mentioned for the 800 times before on here, Eton at least (perhaps other schools also) heavily restricts its Oxbridge applicants so the market (of bright people at various universities) is skewed.
  • Options
    Hungary’s latest Russia scandal: @direkt36 reveals that Orbán’s foreign ministry has been compromised by an ongoing Russian cyberespionage campaign. They even hacked the encrypted channel also transmitting confidential NATO & EU material.

..When MFA Péter Szijjártó received the Order of Friendship from Sergey Lavrov - awarded by Putin himself - he already knew well that his ministry has been completely hacked by Russia.

He didn’t confront the Russians but praised Moscow and their great cooperation with Hungary...

https://x.com/panyiszabolcs/status/1509072928922607616
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,278
    On topic, the curious case of the Texas voter registrations.

https://countylocalnews.com/2024/04/03/governor-greg-abbott-questioned-about-surge-in-voter-registrations-in-texas/

The suggestion - among a load of partisan nonsense from both Rs and Ds - is that there’s groups of activists making sure everyone is registered to vote, possibly by aggregating data from other sources, with the intention of legal ballot-harvesting operations at election time.

Texas has always been the state that will seemingly go blue one day, but never does, and there’s been quite a lot of immigration there from other states since the last Presidential election. If Texas goes for Biden, then it’s pretty much impossible for Trump to win, the state being bigger than all of the other swing states combined.

Last time around, Biden’s narrow wins in a lot of the swing states were seen as being down to effective canvassing and ballot-harvesting operations in cities. Activists collecting up postal votes is legal in most states, and in 2020 universal postal voting was introduced due to the pandemic, and a lot of those rules remain in place this time.

There’s a well-known Republican activist called Scott Presler, who’s attempting the same tactics the Dems used last time out of driving voter registrations well ahead of the election itself. https://x.com/ScottPresler/
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,323
    TOPPING said:

boulay said:

TOPPING said:

0 - Durham
    3 - the rest

Insecure much?

Don't get all snitty I said it wasn't academically. "blah blah blah ranked unis in the world blah blah".
    Not remotely insecure, I’ve really got nothing to be insecure about, and I was making the point that not only are they highly ranked academically but the social element there is also very high - I would guess higher than those in your rankings but they blend in because London is quite big funnily enough.