Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak’s spot of sunshine: Reform underperformed – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,031

Taz said:

I almost had my own cyclegate incident yesterday. A cyclist went through a red light into a box junction completely oblivious to any other traffic.

I'd ban cyclists for the simple reason nobody wants to see a man in Lycra.

Ban this sick filth.
    I am happy to go as nature intended when on my bike, in the summer anyway.
    A shirt and tie, a suit with turnup trousers, stout leather shoes and bicycle clips?
    No waistcoat? No hat?

What kind of dodgy foreigner are you?

Next you’ll be suggesting going out of the house without waxing your moustache properly.

What's he doing going out in his nightclothes?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,930

Another good walk today, 43km, and I've got just beyond Pamplona to one of its suburbs called Villava. This leaves me with only about 63km left, but quite a bit of climbing as I get into the Pyrenees

It felt a shame not to linger longer in Pamplona itself. It's a beautiful city, full of great places to eat. But I have been here before, and I'll be back in the next few days. I made contact today with the daughter of a lovely lady on my mail round

She lives very near Pamplona, so I've decided to come straight back here (hopefully by public transport) after I've finished the Camino. She seemed on the phone to be just as kind and sweet as her Mum. She'll come and get me from Pamplona and I'll stay a night or two at her place, before heading on to San Sebastian

I'm in a rather nice, but quite pricey, hotel tonight. Probably pricey because the only room left was a junior suite on the top floor with a terrace and a "massage shower"

Dinner at the hotel restaurant is more reasonably priced. I'm having seafood rice to start followed by grilled cuttlefish. A bottle of local red, which is very nice indeed, is included in the 16€ set menu price

They didn't give me a wine glass so I'm drinking the wine from a 400ml water glass

You should really turn your travel notes into an annotated route map. I find it gives another dimension to pictures to associate them with their places on a map.
  • Options

Another good walk today, 43km, and I've got just beyond Pamplona to one of its suburbs called Villava. This leaves me with only about 63km left, but quite a bit of climbing as I get into the Pyrenees

It felt a shame not to linger longer in Pamplona itself. It's a beautiful city, full of great places to eat. But I have been here before, and I'll be back in the next few days. I made contact today with the daughter of a lovely lady on my mail round

She lives very near Pamplona, so I've decided to come straight back here (hopefully by public transport) after I've finished the Camino. She seemed on the phone to be just as kind and sweet as her Mum. She'll come and get me from Pamplona and I'll stay a night or two at her place, before heading on to San Sebastian

I'm in a rather nice, but quite pricey, hotel tonight. Probably pricey because the only room left was a junior suite on the top floor with a terrace and a "massage shower"

Dinner at the hotel restaurant is more reasonably priced. I'm having seafood rice to start followed by grilled cuttlefish. A bottle of local red, which is very nice indeed, is included in the 16€ set menu price

They didn't give me a wine glass so I'm drinking the wine from a 400ml water glass

You should really turn your travel notes into an annotated route map. I find it gives another dimension to pictures to associate them with their places on a map.
    Indeed. I just spent a few minutes poking around on google maps near where they are.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,395
    RobD said:

@BlancheLivermore - I'm curious, do you have a map of the route you have taken?

The only map I have for the route is the one in the app I downloaded called Buen Camino, which I've only deviated from a couple of times
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,766
    RobD said:

Indeed. I just spent a few minutes poking around on google maps near where they are.
    Stalker.
  • Options

RobD said:

Stalker.
    Next time I'll slip a AirTag in their bag, that'll make it much easier.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,041
    Irelands Eurovision entry is completely bonkers. I hope it makes the final.

De Valera would not approve.
  • Options
    LOL.

John Swinney: I'll work with Unionists if they park independence opposition

https://twitter.com/simon_telegraph/status/1787922230791352712
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 823
    Unpopular said:

Foxy said:

DM_Andy said:

Can we recreate the UN Mandate of Palestine? It would be reasonable to place it under the stewardship of a Security Council member that can be trusted to be neutral between both Jewish and Muslim communities (China seems like an obvious choice) until such time as both parties get together on a power-sharing arrangement.

I don't think it worked out last time that was tried...
    I've just finished read 'A Line in the Sand', which goes into a bit of detail around the Imperialist wrangling between Britain and France over the ME and what comes across in the book is that the British were in way over their heads in the Mandate of Palestine and really had no clue what to do about it.
    There are surely so many layers of mistake and regret that it's almost impossible to peel them all back to find any point of departure from which you might expect a better solution to have arisen.

With Northern Ireland, you can maybe squint hard and point at some point between 1785 and 1805 where things might have changed for the good, and turned out well.

How far do you have to go back to find something similar in the history of Palestine? Obviously before Mandatory Palestine. And before San Remo, before the Balfour Declaration, before Sykes-Picot, clearly. How about before the First Aliyah? Before the repopulation the Sanjak of Jerulsalem as a bulwark against the Khedivate of Egypt? Before the Beys? The Mamluks? And on and on and on into the depths of history.

But, no. They are where they are. Things need to move on from here, from where they are now. Historical inquiry might help understand some of the grievances but it doesn't point a way to the future.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,395
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Stalker.
    Next time I'll slip a AirTag in their bag, that'll make it much easier.
    My mum has an airtag in my backpack. I had to find a new battery for it in Burgos. She got very concerned by the low battery warnings
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,627

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

The man child has posted

He knows going to jail for a few hours will only boost him with the Cult I guess.
    Joe Walsh, a super anti-Trump conservative is also super free speech, and reckons if Trump is put in jail due to a gag order violation he will win re-election, and he opposes the orders as violating Trump's speech.

I don't really understand that level of belief in 'free' speech, due to not being American I suppose, because even if the specific gag orders Trump is under are seen to be wrong, what if he was directly threatening witnesses, no ambiguity? Courts being able to protect witnesses or proceedings to ensure a fair trial is also a right, why would that go out the window?
    The MAGA crowd think that but a jail sentence would be the final blow that sends Independents to Biden
    Any 'jail' sentence will just be Trump hanging out with the secret service detail, no prison guards or other prisoners would have any access to him and the whole thing would be a circus.
    I remain very confident he will never see a day in any kind of prison.

Even if convicted there will be years of appeals and they won't put him inside (or whatever pseudo-jail arrangement they need to come up with), and assuming he has not been re-elected President I would not be surprised to see him physically deterioriate quickly as the really serious trials cannot be put off any longer. He'll be 78, not in great shape, under tremendous stress, and facing very serious jailtime, and even his political sway would reduce after a second loss (assuming his intended campaign of violence and state interference in that event does not succeed).

The NY is still about crimes, but even if convicted may not result in a jail sentence, so as stressed as he will be about it he can handle it just about.
    I suspect any convictions will disappear in the Supreme Court in any case.
    Stick him in prison and you're about a night from civil war anyway. Regardless it will be tit for tat from here. They'll go gunning for Clinton, Biden, Obama etc
    Grim times ahead for the States
    This is a state crime. SCOTUS has no jurisdiction.

That's why it's the only one to move forward (Georgia has got wrapped up in vexatious federal powers lawsuits).
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,542

The man child has posted

I don’t know much about the case, but why do the details of the supposed ‘encounter’ matter? Surely it’s about the money paid or not paid? Isn’t the use of her testimony just about embarrassing Trump?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Unpopular said:

Foxy said:

DM_Andy said:

Can we recreate the UN Mandate of Palestine? It would be reasonable to place it under the stewardship of a Security Council member that can be trusted to be neutral between both Jewish and Muslim communities (China seems like an obvious choice) until such time as both parties get together on a power-sharing arrangement.

I've just finished read 'A Line in the Sand', which goes into a bit of detail around the Imperialist wrangling between Britain and France over the ME and what comes across in the book is that the British were in way over their heads in the Mandate of Palestine and really had no clue what to do about it.
    Finding out the details on things generally shows those involved were not in as masterful command of a situation as they or history may have imagined.
    Having established a Jewish national home via the Balfour declaration we then denied Jewish refugees from the Nazis sanctuary both before and after the war. Its like we wanted for both sides to hate us.
    'We are busily hammering a much-divided Middle East into a hostile unanimty.'

John Buchan, 1922.
  • Options

The man child has posted

I don’t know much about the case, but why do the details of the supposed ‘encounter’ matter? Surely it’s about the money paid or not paid? Isn’t the use of her testimony just about embarrassing Trump?
    No - it's about whether it happened (first) and whether he paid her hush money (second) and whether he forged business records to conceal the payment (fourth) and whether that was done to gain an advantage in the election (fifth).

Long chain of reasoning that needs to hang together there...
  • Options
    OllyOlly Posts: 42
    AlsoLei said:

Unpopular said:

Foxy said:

DM_Andy said:

There are surely so many layers of mistake and regret that it's almost impossible to peel them all back to find any point of departure from which you might expect a better solution to have arisen.

With Northern Ireland, you can maybe squint hard and point at some point between 1785 and 1805 where things might have changed for the good, and turned out well.

How far do you have to go back to find something similar in the history of Palestine? Obviously before Mandatory Palestine. And before San Remo, before the Balfour Declaration, before Sykes-Picot, clearly. How about before the First Aliyah? Before the repopulation the Sanjak of Jerulsalem as a bulwark against the Khedivate of Egypt? Before the Beys? The Mamluks? And on and on and on into the depths of history.

But, no. They are where they are. Things need to move on from here, from where they are now. Historical inquiry might help understand some of the grievances but it doesn't point a way to the future.
    Stuff like this is circulating on tiktok.

"To eliminate any doubts, the primary goal was to ethnically cleanse Palestinians and grab the land."

Watch this powerful video.

https://x.com/abierkhatib/status/1787756093927563502
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,176

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Looking forward to the vitriolic response from Daily Mail to this:

"At Sulkava prison in Finland, I stood on the edge of a lake where, in the summer, prisoners fished for their dinner and foraged in the woodland for mushrooms and lingonberries. “Being here and able to cook for myself brings me a sense of normality, dignity and self-sufficiency,” one prisoner told me."

Appetising, delicious food served up to prisoners? It works for the Nordic countries

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/may/07/prisoners-nordic-countries-cook-eat-forage-britain

Teaching them how to cook for when they get out is not a small thing. Not every prisoner is a PB aficionado who can discourse learnedly on this hot sauce or that vegan recipe.
    I agree. I was being flippant.

Uk prisons are a disgrace.
    Oh, you didn't come over as flippant at all - just savagely ironic. And rightly so.
    I thought teaching people to cook was violently middle class?

I recall the outrage when Delia published a book starting with how to cook an egg.
    My mum gave it to me when I was a student. I needed it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

The man child has posted

No - it's about whether it happened (first) and whether he paid her hush money (second) and whether he forged business records to conceal the payment (fourth) and whether that was done to gain an advantage in the election (fifth).

If he paid her hush money and it didn't happen surely that could still be fraud?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,221

LOL.

There's a problem there. I can't quite put my finger on it... 😀
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,542

LOL.

SNP-Con coalition incoming.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,431

The man child has posted

Isn't he still denying they took place?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,304
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

"At Sulkava prison in Finland, I stood on the edge of a lake where, in the summer, prisoners fished for their dinner and foraged in the woodland for mushrooms and lingonberries. “Being here and able to cook for myself brings me a sense of normality, dignity and self-sufficiency,” one prisoner told me."

Appetising, delicious food served up to prisoners? It works for the Nordic countries

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/may/07/prisoners-nordic-countries-cook-eat-forage-britain

Teaching them how to cook for when they get out is not a small thing. Not every prisoner is a PB aficionado who can discourse learnedly on this hot sauce or that vegan recipe.

Oh, you didn't come over as flippant at all - just savagely ironic. And rightly so.

I recall the outrage when Delia published a book starting with how to cook an egg.
    Sounds like something Trump might say....
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Sounds like something Trump might say....
    Now that is absolutely gross.

I did also have a very basic Penguin book, and an old rationing-era MiniFood booklet. All great basic stuff.
  • Options
    megasaur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

I've read the Stormy Daniels testimony.

Does anyone have industrial strength mind bleach?

Can you summarise the salacious bits first please 🙏
    It was missionary, unprotected, and brief.
    That's no fun.

(Which by the sounds of it is also an accurate summary of Ms Daniel's experience.)
    Many of these details are not super necessary to the case of course, but since Trump denies any sexual encounter took place at all it has to be gotten into since the jury will need to weigh the credibility of the parties about what happened, and thus why the payoffs occurred.
    Has he considered dropping his trousers to demonstrate his penis doesn't look like a mushroom?

If not, why not?
    There's a popular strain of pailocybe cubensis called Penis Envy which looks exactly like a penis, which might confuse the issue.
    megasaur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

That's no fun.

(Which by the sounds of it is also an accurate summary of Ms Daniel's experience.)
    Many of these details are not super necessary to the case of course, but since Trump denies any sexual encounter took place at all it has to be gotten into since the jury will need to weigh the credibility of the parties about what happened, and thus why the payoffs occurred.
    Has he considered dropping his trousers to demonstrate his penis doesn't look like a mushroom?

If not, why not?
    There's a popular strain of pailocybe cubensis called Penis Envy which looks exactly like a penis, which might confuse the issue.
    Unless mine is rather odd, the pictures on Wikipedia don’t agree…
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybe_cubensis
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,276

The man child has posted

Which is why the judge - and the defence - placed limits on her testimony, which she crossed to some extent.
    What could, and couldn’t be presented as evidence (not just the encounter) was extensively litigated pre-trial.

It’s notable the defence didn’t object much as she was giving evidence, and the judge later ruled what was said was insufficiently prejudicial for a mistrial. (Note a lot of what they claimed was “new” wasn’t.)

• Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,001
    Unpopular said:

Foxy said:

DM_Andy said:

Somewhat tangential, but I've just today finished a (now seeming ancient) Radio4 production of 'The Riddle of the Sands'. I suspect this is it, but your copyright mileage may vary :

https://archive.org/details/erskine-childers-the-riddle-of-the-sands

• Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,001

LOL.

SNP-Con coalition incoming.
    Kate Forbes as First Minister incoming...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,542
    edited May 7

Taz said:

I almost had my own cyclegate incident yesterday. A cyclist went through a red light into a box junction completely oblivious to any other traffic.

Ban this sick filth.
    I am happy to go as nature intended when on my bike, in the summer anyway.
    A shirt and tie, a suit with turnup trousers, stout leather shoes and bicycle clips?
    No waistcoat? No hat?

What kind of dodgy foreigner are you?

Next you’ll be suggesting going out of the house without waxing your moustache properly.

I had a picture of Boris Johnson, cyclist in mind, but I forgot the top hat for cranial protection. Perhaps borrowed from JRM. Safety first!
  • Options
    Croatia looking good. Not sure why the band wear gimp masks.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

The man child has posted

If he paid her hush money and it didn't happen surely that could still be fraud?
    AIUI (and I will not pretend to be an expert) if he just forged his business records it's a civil offence or a misdemeanour. It's the possible implications for the election that make it an actual felony.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,459
    Foxy said:

I don't watch the semi finals. Ever. I watched Ireland tonight. Twice.

CROWN THE WITCH
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,677

Foxy said:

CROWN THE WITCH
    RTÉ can't afford it. They'd have to get Ukraine to host it for them instead.
  • Options

Foxy said:

CROWN THE WITCH
    Getting heavily backed...

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,216
    Sky News: "Manchester Airport says UK Border System is down".
  • Options

Foxy said:

CROWN THE WITCH
    As part of the build up to Saturday we watched the Father Ted Euro episode. Still Genius all these years and viewings later.
  • Options

Foxy said:

CROWN THE WITCH
    As part of the build up to Saturday we watched the Father Ted Euro episode. Still Genius all these years and viewings later.
    It was a lovely horse.
  • Options
    Read this tweet and thought the 30mph mafia had finally come for Mark Drakeford…
    https://twitter.com/MattWallace888/status/1787850989120164318
  • Options
    OllyOlly Posts: 42
    Andy_JS said:

Maybe its foreign hackers again.
  • Options
    megasaurmegasaur Posts: 258

megasaur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

That's no fun.

If not, why not?
    megasaur said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

That's no fun.

If not, why not?
    Unless mine is rather odd, the pictures on Wikipedia don’t agree…
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybe_cubensis
    I am only seeing the species there. PE is a cultivar

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://www.myshrooms.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Penis-Envy.jpg&tbnid=aOrfprZzp06ncM&vet=1&imgrefurl=https://www.myshrooms.co.za/product/penis-envy/&docid=5xkRH3sC2KxUqM&w=900&h=900&itg=1&hl=en&source=sh/x/im/m1/2&kgs=dbacaea2fa80e668&shem=abme,trie
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,079
    Finland... no words...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,330

Finland... no words...

Are instrumentals allowed?
  • Options

Finland... no words...

No Rules...
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

How can they tell?
    It's stopping people getting in, so has clearly gone completely wrong.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

How can they tell?
    It's stopping people getting in, so has clearly gone completely wrong.
    Going for the bonus!

Genius move to get the net migration figures down.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,259

Ban this sick filth.
    Are you assuming that women don't cycle ...... tsk
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Ban this sick filth.
    It's a sacrifice women must make for the greater good.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Ban this sick filth.
    Your username does imply that you are free of cycling.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,639
    RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

Ban this sick filth.
    It's a sacrifice women must make for the greater good.
    The Greater Good!
  • Options
    edited May 7
    Cyclefree said:

Ban this sick filth.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

Ban this sick filth.
    Er, he's not actually complaining about women in Lycra. For whatever reason I can't imagine.
    Deep down I am very shallow.
  • Options
    Australia's entry could be in with a chance
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,216
    edited May 7

I don't understand why they think red lights don't apply to them.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,954
    Andy_JS said:

Appears to be a computer outage? Wonder if they've been hacked?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I don't understand why they think red lights don't apply to them.
    Thank you for that link. I read the article. It's bollocks. Another right-winger moaning that the party isn't right wing enough.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,945
    Evening all :)

The premise of this and other like-minded pieces is Reform voters are all Conservatives who will run back to the blue rosette at the first whiff of electoral gunpowder. The analogy is with those Conservatives who used to "protest" in mid-term by voting Lib Dem at Council elections and Parliamentary by-elections.

This produced fantastic results for the LDs but the problem was as soon as a GE heaved into view and it was a forced choice between a Labour Government and a Conservative Government the protesters headed back to the Conservatives as did those who registered their "protest" by staying at home for local elections and by-elections.

What you had were Conservatives who were never really Lib Dems at all but realised they could use a vote for the LDs as a harmless (well, not for the unfortunate Conservative local candidate) but significant kick for the incumbent Government.

So, are the current Reform voters something similar? There's not much polling to answer that question definitively - there is a think a significant divergent between Tice/Farage and the membership. To this observer, the Reform leadership, apart from their hostility to the EU, are unreconstructed Thatcherites kken on lower taxes and big cuts in public spending but the Reform membership seems to be more in the Boris Johnson mould which is interventionist and keen to see public money spent but in certain areas and on certain things.

Even on immigration, there's a line being walked between outright hostility to all migrants, both legal and illegal, and a recognition a growing economy leads a level of immigration and recognising gaps in key specialisms needed to fuel that growth can only be filled with immigration.

That's the paradox Reform probably won't address let alone resolve this side of a GE.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Ban this sick filth.
    Or a freeform cyclist.
  • Options
    This has made me tumescent proud to be British.

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,689

Foxy said:

CROWN THE WITCH
    I like it.

Grimesesque

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGRXRrlIspY
  • Options
    Rudy G can't find an accountant willing to work for him in his court defence, after the guy he had walked.
    https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1787940514836213946
  • Options
    stodge said:

The premise of this and other like-minded pieces is Reform voters are all Conservatives who will run back to the blue rosette at the first whiff of electoral gunpowder. The analogy is with those Conservatives who used to "protest" in mid-term by voting Lib Dem at Council elections and Parliamentary by-elections.

This produced fantastic results for the LDs but the problem was as soon as a GE heaved into view and it was a forced choice between a Labour Government and a Conservative Government the protesters headed back to the Conservatives as did those who registered their "protest" by staying at home for local elections and by-elections.

What you had were Conservatives who were never really Lib Dems at all but realised they could use a vote for the LDs as a harmless (well, not for the unfortunate Conservative local candidate) but significant kick for the incumbent Government.

So, are the current Reform voters something similar? There's not much polling to answer that question definitively - there is a think a significant divergent between Tice/Farage and the membership. To this observer, the Reform leadership, apart from their hostility to the EU, are unreconstructed Thatcherites kken on lower taxes and big cuts in public spending but the Reform membership seems to be more in the Boris Johnson mould which is interventionist and keen to see public money spent but in certain areas and on certain things.

Even on immigration, there's a line being walked between outright hostility to all migrants, both legal and illegal, and a recognition a growing economy leads a level of immigration and recognising gaps in key specialisms needed to fuel that growth can only be filled with immigration.

That's the paradox Reform probably won't address let alone resolve this side of a GE.

How is Reform UK walking a line on immigration? They've made net zero immigration the central plank of their policies.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,728

Maybe that was Trump's problem.

Not British Enough.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,330

stodge said:

How is Reform UK walking a line on immigration? They've made net zero immigration the central plank of their policies.
    Zero net migration is surely the most neutral position?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,315
    GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathrow down as well.

The likely cause?

The system is run by Fujitsu...
  • Options
    edited May 7

On topic, I agree with Pip.

Wait. When I put Reform smelted down to 3% come polling day and Tories on 33%, you called me a loon.
  • Options
    Why has Dune 2 hit streaming so quickly, I thought it was supposed to be good?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,463

On topic, I agree with Pip.

Wait. When I put Reform smelted down to 3% come polling day and Tories on 33%, you called me a loon.
    I’ve had a bet on the under 10.5%.

Dunno if it will be 3% but happy to wager under 10.5%
  • Options
    I bought a trisuit in March.

It feels good.
    I look good in it.

The only issue is... I'm slightly embarrassed to be seen in public in it.

It hides nothing. It's a little obscene. :)
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,597

Most things people have done is less than walking on the moon, I guess.

Unless the original poster means 'fewer'? In which case: slept with me. There, that makes me feel more special than the moon :smiley:
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,297
    edited May 7

Remembered that the word is "fewer" if the thing in question is countable.
  • Options

stodge said:

That may be true but I think the party has elements who would support limited immigration on economic grounds.

The other nuance to this observer is whether they mean literally "one in one out" or whether it's more about a severe clampdown on illegal migration (the aim being its elimination) and far more restrictive conditions on legal migration.
  • Options

Can't be as bad as bullet train which I am currently watching. Director who thinks you got Japanese fights and people saying fuck in cockney accents and you are Quentin T. Really embarrassing.
  • Options

It feels good.
    I look good in it.

tri-suit? like jacket, trousers and waistcoat? :wink:
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,037

I suspect it was very popular among a smallish group of aficionados (including many journalists) but small groups of aficionados don’t sustain a long cinema run.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

That's a made-up rule. "Less" and "fewer" have both been used for countable things for centuries.
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

That may be true but I think the party has elements who would support limited immigration on economic grounds.

The other nuance to this observer is whether they mean literally "one in one out" or whether it's more about a severe clampdown on illegal migration (the aim being its elimination) and far more restrictive conditions on legal migration.
    They've said what their policy is. It is for net zero immigration (legal or "illegal"). It's not quite one in one out. You don't sit waiting to be let in until someone leaves, but it's effectively one in one out.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

That's a made-up rule. "Less" and "fewer" have both been used for countable things for centuries.
    Aren't all rules made up?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,259
    edited May 7

Cyclefree said:

Ban this sick filth.
    Er... the opposite. My very first ever social media comment was about the then stupid rule preventing cycling in Royal Parks. Husband on bike suffered a serious head injury from a hit and run driver in the Outer Circle of Regents Park.

I have been cycling since university. I've done charity rides, fun rides, cycling all round London to various jobs and I have any number of cycling injuries to show for it all. My husband has been a long-standing campaigner for the West Coast cycling path to be extended round here. We are a cycling family.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

True.
  • Options

Surely fewer?
  • Options
    Selebian said:

It feels good.
    I look good in it.

tri-suit? like jacket, trousers and waistcoat? :wink:
    I'd look obscene in that as well...
  • Options
    edited May 7
    Reform UK policy:

https://assets.nationbuilder.com/reformuk/pages/303/attachments/original/1696527070/Reform_is_Essential_-_5Oct23.pdf?1696527070

A responsible government has a duty to
    protect our borders. We must know who
    is coming in and who is going out of the
    country, at our airports and ports. Again,
    this is basic common sense.
    Let’s welcome those who have high
    level skills and talents that we need —
    such as doctors, engineers, software
    developers, scientists and surgeons — in
    tightly controlled numbers that meet our
    requirements.
    Net zero immigration means that the
    number legally allowed to enter to live
    and work in the UK each year should
    equal the number emigrating, so the
    overall population remains approximately
    the same. Some 400,000 people leave
    every year so there is plenty of scope for
    bringing in the skills and people we need.
    This policy will mean wages for lower
    paid will rise, it will help young British
    workers and so help to significantly
    reduce the number of people on out of
    work benefits. It will reduce pressure on
    affordable housing and public services,
    given that we already have a record high
    population. We want these valuable
    people to come and work in the UK
    legally, and play by the rules, respecting
    our values.
    Illegal immigration is unacceptable and
    those entering illegally must not be
    granted asylum in the UK. Reform UK is
    the only party committed to stopping the
    boats. We must adopt the tactics used by
    Australia when they stopped the boats.
    We must declare a national security
    threat, leave the European Convention
    on Human Rights (ECHR), and use
    existing legislation robustly to stop this
    illegal trade. We must also use offshore
    processing centres as Australia did.
    We must also create a new Department
    of Immigration staffed with people who
    believe in the task at hand, to protect our
    borders. The Home Office is simply not fit
    for purpose
    Everyone must know that no-one coming
    via these illegal routes will be allowed to
    stay in the UK. Cases must be determined
    in just a few weeks
  • Options
    Anyone surprised ?

Ukrainian state prosecutors analyzed debris from 21 out of roughly 50 North Korean ballistic missiles launched by Russia at Ukraine, uncovering a 50% failure rate with many detonating mid-air.
    https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1787905511599333818

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,805
    Olly said:

AlsoLei said:

Unpopular said:

Foxy said:

DM_Andy said:

Stuff like this is circulating on tiktok.

"To eliminate any doubts, the primary goal was to ethnically cleanse Palestinians and grab the land."

Watch this powerful video.

https://x.com/abierkhatib/status/1787756093927563502
    That was a party political broadcast by the Green Party.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,604
    rcs1000 said:

And "less" if you can stick a pitchfork into it.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,604
    Selebian said:

rcs1000 said:

Aren't all rules made up?
    LOL absolutely. V good point.
  • Options

Reform UK policy:

https://assets.nationbuilder.com/reformuk/pages/303/attachments/original/1696527070/Reform_is_Essential_-_5Oct23.pdf?1696527070

A responsible government has a duty to
    protect our borders. We must know who
    is coming in and who is going out of the
    country, at our airports and ports. Again,
    this is basic common sense.
    Let’s welcome those who have high
    level skills and talents that we need —
    such as doctors, engineers, software
    developers, scientists and surgeons — in
    tightly controlled numbers that meet our
    requirements.
    Net zero immigration means that the
    number legally allowed to enter to live
    and work in the UK each year should
    equal the number emigrating, so the
    overall population remains approximately
    the same. Some 400,000 people leave
    every year so there is plenty of scope for
    bringing in the skills and people we need.
    This policy will mean wages for lower
    paid will rise, it will help young British
    workers and so help to significantly
    reduce the number of people on out of
    work benefits. It will reduce pressure on
    affordable housing and public services,
    given that we already have a record high
    population. We want these valuable
    people to come and work in the UK
    legally, and play by the rules, respecting
    our values.
    Illegal immigration is unacceptable and
    those entering illegally must not be
    granted asylum in the UK. Reform UK is
    the only party committed to stopping the
    boats. We must adopt the tactics used by
    Australia when they stopped the boats.
    We must declare a national security
    threat, leave the European Convention
    on Human Rights (ECHR), and use
    existing legislation robustly to stop this
    illegal trade. We must also use offshore
    processing centres as Australia did.
    We must also create a new Department
    of Immigration staffed with people who
    believe in the task at hand, to protect our
    borders. The Home Office is simply not fit
    for purpose
    Everyone must know that no-one coming
    via these illegal routes will be allowed to
    stay in the UK. Cases must be determined
    in just a few weeks

From that I conclude that Reform policy writers are still working on very low resolution screens with a horizontal width of ~40 characters and writing in Notepad with manual line returns.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

And "less" if you can stick a pitchfork into it.
    You can stick a pitchfork into a person...
  • Options
    edited May 7

Very odd. Very precise wording. But still ambiguous. Could refer to an enemy fleet as a whole; doesn't say all of it has to be in action (which is impossible anyway in practice). So what about single ship actions? Even ignoring those, and the Java Sea (because under Netherlands command), and sticking to 1707-today, it's not hard to get 12 and more:

Gulf of Thailand
    Denmark Strait
    Indian Ocean (Hermes etc.)
    Italian MAS Maiales in Alexandria
    PQ17, HX229/SC112 and several other convoys
    Norwegian Campaign/Unternehmen Juno
    Skagerrak/Jutland
    Coronel
    Mauritius
    MInorca
    Chesapeake
    Lizard

PS If anyone is relying on "the high seas", then there are very few naval battles on the high seas anyway, making Mr Snow's statement almost meaningless. Most of them are near the choke points or bases of one sidfe or other.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,805

stodge said:

stodge said:

They've said what their policy is. It is for net zero immigration (legal or "illegal"). It's not quite one in one out. You don't sit waiting to be let in until someone leaves, but it's effectively one in one out.
    Like a supermarket during Covid.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,623
    Nigelb said:

Anyone surprised ?

Ukrainian state prosecutors analyzed debris from 21 out of roughly 50 North Korean ballistic missiles launched by Russia at Ukraine, uncovering a 50% failure rate with many detonating mid-air.
    https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1787905511599333818

I am. Surprised it is as low as 50% failure rate to be honest.
  • Options

stodge said:

stodge said:

It isn't really - there's a bit of wiggle room around the numbers - but I appreciate where the policy is going.

Presumably the hope of Conservative strategists is Rwanda will be seen to have an effect and that will draw Reform supporters back - the problem is if it doesn't work or the perception is it isn't working, what then?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,623
    Not sure that is going to end well.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathrow down as well.

The likely cause?

The system is run by Fujitsu...
    So we can expert the check in clerks to do prison time then…
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,071
    Carnyx said:

Very odd. Very precise wording. But still ambiguous. Could refer to an enemy fleet as a whole; doesn't say all of it has to be in action (which is impossible anyway in practice). So what about single ship actions? Even ignoring those, and the Java Sea (because under Netherlands command), and sticking to 1707-today, it's not hard to get 12 and more:

Gulf of Thailand
    Denmark Strait
    Skagerrak/Jutland
    Coronel
    Mauritius
    MInorca
    Chesapeake
    Lizard

I just knew someone on PB would come up with a list given enough time.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,855
    Carnyx said:

Gulf of Thailand
    Denmark Strait
    Skagerrak/Jutland
    Coronel
    Mauritius
    MInorca
    Chesapeake
    Lizard

There's that inferiority complex again.
  • Options
    Australia is available at 500/1. Put money on Australia!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Gulf of Thailand
    Denmark Strait
    Skagerrak/Jutland
    Coronel
    Mauritius
    MInorca
    Chesapeake
    Lizard

I just knew someone on PB would come up with a list given enough time.
    Just think of the scope for argument. But it's my bedtime, which is perhaps as well.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,297
    You know, I think someone wrote a book about a President who did such a thing.