Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

About that inevitable Labour landslide – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,182
    kle4 said:

Final turnout table for London Mayoral with increases or decreases.

Those of us not in the know, which are the nore Tory friendly areas?
    Bromley & Bexley, Croydon & Sutton, South West, Havering & Redbridge.
  • Options
    edited May 3

We are in the period of the phoney war. War has been declared, a massive barrage of shelling with the red scourge conquering new places. But the big battle lies ahead, and the armchair generals are poking a stick at the ashes and looking through their tinted/blinkered specs looking for guidance.

I think the Sunak presser in Sheffield Teesside is the moment of the most shark-jumping for the blues. A win which - combined with results elsewhere - demonstrates that they will be obliterated once the fighting starts properly. And yet for now, the mood in team Sunak is WE'RE ALRIGHT! WE'RE ALRIGHT!

If the Hall win is just a confection from CCHQ it has been quite clever as the Blackpool by election the Metro Mayors and the X00 lost Councillors has been lost in the fog of Khan's assumed defeat.

Rabbit and AndyJS have done their bit on here too.
    I don't want Susan Hall or Sadiq Khan to be mayor. I wouldn't have voted for either of them if I lived in London. There's a difference between making predictions and what you want to happen.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,447
    boulay said:

We are in the period of the phoney war. War has been declared, a massive barrage of shelling with the red scourge conquering new places. But the big battle lies ahead, and the armchair generals are poking a stick at the ashes and looking through their tinted/blinkered specs looking for guidance.

I think the Sunak presser in Sheffield Teesside is the moment of the most shark-jumping for the blues. A win which - combined with results elsewhere - demonstrates that they will be obliterated once the fighting starts properly. And yet for now, the mood in team Sunak is WE'RE ALRIGHT! WE'RE ALRIGHT!

You are right in essence however there is always the important of “the big mo”. Remember there is still a lot of favourable media for the Tories, I noticed a bit of a sea change re Rwanda and immigration the last week and if the papers were flooded with a positive (although bs) spin for the blues, especially if Hall wins by some miracle, news, a few flights get off to Rwanda, the economy is looking better (again , in the press), and they can get a really good campaign on Starmer being “Sir Two-face”.

think a time magazine type cover split with him smiling with a quote on one side and the other him frowning with his flip flop and the sub-header of “which lie are you believing?” Then there is potentially a lot to play for. Not a Tory win but an uncomfortable close win for Labour where they are led by the man who lost a huge huge lead.
    Its possible. But to briefly offer the counter to that:
    1. Reality & Tory internal polling will push them right. Which makes them consolidate the ReFUK vote but lose everyone else
    2. The economic "recovery" like the "tax cut" do not exist in reality. The more people are told they are better off - and they are worse off - the less they will want to reward the party who has screwed them and is lying to their face
    3. Hall defeating Khaaaaaaaan would be a shock to the system for the GTTO crowd (which is 80% of the electorate). BJO and the cranks will be delighted, everyone else will focus hard on tactical voting and turnout.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,390
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

These post office lawyers and managers really do overstretch the 'I'm incompetent, not a liar' defence I see.

Former senior Post Office lawyer Jarnail Singh has denied that he knew about bugs in the Horizon system while sub-postmaster prosecutions continued for three years.

However, lead counsel for the Horizon inquiry Jason Beer accused Mr Singh of telling a "big fat lie".

Mr Singh was forwarded an email on the eve of the 2010 trial of Seema Misra, a sub-postmistress who was sent to jail while pregnant.

It identified bugs in the Horizon system that should have been disclosed in Mrs Misra's trial.

Mr Singh denied having read the email, despite being presented with evidence that he saved a copy to his hard drive and printed it off...

When asked whether it was saved on the hard drive of his computer, Mr Singh said: "I don't even know what you're talking about.

"I don't know how these things worked."

"You don't know how to save a document?" Mr Beer asked.

"I didn't know how to do it," Mr Singh responded, saying he wouldn't have had the technical knowledge either to do that or to understand the document itself.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c1d4j5m3l08o

What ever happened to honesty and integrity. And he's a lawyer, for goodness sake.
    No one likes admitting they cocked up for reasons other than honest incompetence, but when there's evidence as overwhelming you will have a lot more credibility by having a damascene conversion about how you see actions than stubbornly insisting black is white and you are just an goofball. Especially when they are high powered individuals who probably have spent careers insisting how brilliant they are.

It's more dignified for a start.
    He was notorious within the PO long before the scandal became public. He has plainly lied to the Inquiry on numerous occasions. You would consider him laughable, except that he contributed significantly to many serious miscarriages of justice.

It is extraordinary that the PO should have employed such a man in a senior legal role. It speaks volumes about the generally dysfunctional nature of the organisation and its apparent lack of concern for plain, simple honesty or justice.

There is a good case for banging up every single Board member for the 20 year period in question, every single senior executive, and every sod involved in the persecution of the Subpostmasters, right down to the pond life that called themselves Investigators. The legal firms which advised the PO should naturally be included.

It won't happen, but if the Police do start feeling collars, they could do no better than start with Mr Jamail Singh.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,819
    This happens in every local election so apologies for asking but I can't remember the answer. Why do the BBC and Guardian websites have different numbers for the change of councillors?
  • Options

If the Hall win is just a confection from CCHQ it has been quite clever as the Blackpool by election the Metro Mayors and the X00 lost Councillors has been lost in the fog of Khan's assumed defeat.

Can we not attack other posters integrity please?

Rabbit and AndyJS were seeking value as punter, just like everyone else.
    That isn't an attack. Its an observation. Rampers ramp. Besides, plenty of others - myself included - are quite excited by the idea of Trump Hall winning. I may be an amateur politician but its been a life-long hobby, and the funnier it gets the more I enjoy it.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,519

Amidst the excitement Labour are still chugging to that 'unenthusiastic' landslide. Perhaps it's better for them if people think it will be close.
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,003
    LDs just fall short of a majority in Wokingham. Must be a bit disappointing as a key GE target
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h
    It’s incredible that some people are looking at the projected national vote share for the local elections and saying “this shows Labour is only 9% ahead. Much worse than the polls. The Tories can bridge that in a general election”. They’re not remotely comparable figures.

Whilst true, what we can compare them with is local elections before changes of government. So, in 1996:

Lab - 44%
    Con - 29%
    Lib Dem - 26%

And in 2009:

Con - 38%
    Lab - 23%
    Lib Dem - 28%

It's an interesting one. We have quite a lot of conflicting pieces of information. The by elections are very healthy for Labour, but the locals aren't so good. And, of course, there's Scotland which complicates matters.

I reckon Labour majority of 60, but wouldn't be surprised if they come up short.
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 470
    Conservatives might lose Havant to NOC:

all-out election 27/36 declared
    Conservatives 13 (-10)
    Labour 6 (+4)
    Liberal Democrats 4 (+3)
    Green 3 (+2)
    Reform UK 1 (+1)
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,103

Thanks for that. The comparison with 2021 really helps . It’s a shame we don’t get more detailed info as many of the constituencies spread from inner to the outer areas .
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,945
    kle4 said:

If you sort by the change, the Tory areas are the one the turnout has increased in.....
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 604
    One local ward just counted had a turnout of 15.17 per cent. I feel depressed.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,606

Natasha Clark
    @NatashaC
    Labour sources dampening talk of a Susan Hall win, saying the fundamentals are good and no votes have yet been counted. But they also say they've been saying all along it'll be closely fought....

https://twitter.com/NatashaC/status/1786456912315257307
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,819
    nico679 said:

Thanks for that. The comparison with 2021 really helps . It’s a shame we don’t get more detailed info as many of the constituencies spread from inner to the outer areas .
    Sideways too! Croydon is much more Labour than Sutton I think.
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,646
    Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

Reform polled about 6.5% in the by-election in Bromley . Khan needs Reform to poll minimum 5% across London .

I don't think they'll get more than 3%.
    I assume Reform types will see an opportunity to vote out Khan, so swing behind the Tory.

I can't even believe we are discussing a Khan loss, it seems so improbable. However, I haven't lived in that London since Ken was mayor, so no idea of things on the ground.

I notice no-one is starting any 'Andy Burnham has lost Manchester' rumours.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,683
    tlg86 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h
    It’s incredible that some people are looking at the projected national vote share for the local elections and saying “this shows Labour is only 9% ahead. Much worse than the polls. The Tories can bridge that in a general election”. They’re not remotely comparable figures.

Whilst true, what we can compare them with is local elections before changes of government. So, in 1996:

Lab - 44%
    Con - 29%
    Lib Dem - 26%

And in 2009:

Con - 38%
    Lab - 23%
    Lib Dem - 28%

It's an interesting one. We have quite a lot of conflicting pieces of information. The by elections are very healthy for Labour, but the locals aren't so good. And, of course, there's Scotland which complicates matters.

I reckon Labour majority of 60, but wouldn't be surprised if they come up short.
    All comparisons with history that far back don’t impress me much, with voting in local elections now much more fragmented, those historical comparisons mean diddly squat.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,512

It wasn't a criticism. If indeed it does turn out to be a false flag, hats off to them. If Hall wins, kudos for reading the runes.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,130
    I'm going to be so bummed if the early London results are easy Labour win. I don't care about the result, but the excitement should be kept going as long as possible.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,141

Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

Reform polled about 6.5% in the by-election in Bromley . Khan needs Reform to poll minimum 5% across London .

I assume Reform types will see an opportunity to vote out Khan, so swing behind the Tory.

I can't even believe we are discussing a Khan loss, it seems so improbable. However, I haven't lived in that London since Ken was mayor, so no idea of things on the ground.

I’m hearing Andy Burnham has lost Manchester. You heard it here first.
  • Options
    RichardrRichardr Posts: 83
    CatMan said:

This happens in every local election so apologies for asking but I can't remember the answer. Why do the BBC and Guardian websites have different numbers for the change of councillors?

Not all results due today are in and there are timing differences as to when they are shown.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,785

Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

Khan is really not liked and not popular. I’ve said it on here a trillion times, and then lefty people say “oh look at the polls, they love him”

They don’t
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,695

One caveat; the Lambeth/Southwark turnout has been updated to 39.13%; so -2% or so.

https://www.londonelects.org.uk/im-voter/election-progress/verification-and-turnout-data

An awful lot hinges on how well voters in the RefCon and LLG blocks have adapted to the FPTP rule change.
  • Options
    sbjme19sbjme19 Posts: 148
    Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Hang on South West Liberal stronghold plus Labour Hounslow, Croydon and Redbridge Labourish.
  • Options
    DM_Andy said:

Conservatives 13 (-10)
    Labour 6 (+4)
    Liberal Democrats 4 (+3)
    Green 3 (+2)
    Reform UK 1 (+1)

I think that's the only seat RefUK have won anywhere.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,459
    kle4 said:

Bexley, Croydon, Havering, WC maybe, I would have said the SW at one point but I think that’s the closest thing the LDs have to a stronghold in London.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,543
    Andy_JS said:

DM_Andy said:

Conservatives 13 (-10)
    Labour 6 (+4)
    Liberal Democrats 4 (+3)
    Green 3 (+2)
    Reform UK 1 (+1)

I think that's the only seat RefUK have won anywhere.
    Snuck the third seat in a three seat ward and ran away.
    Probably their only win unless they pick up a list seat in London
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I don't want Susan Hall or Sadiq Khan to be mayor. I wouldn't have voted for either of them if I lived in London. There's a difference between making predictions and what you want to happen.
    I’m not even going to bite.

MexPex mind games are sooo beneath me. 😌
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,796
    Labour down 5 in Bradford.

Hamas gains, alas.

Our ward has stayed red, with a thumping margin over the Tories.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

Khan is really not liked and not popular. I’ve said it on here a trillion times, and then lefty people say “oh look at the polls, they love him”

They don’t
    No one on here says look at the polls they love him. You are making that up. Some people say look at the polls he is doing okay but even his supporters understand there is a big enthusiasm gap.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,103

One caveat; the Lambeth/Southwark turnout has been updated to 39.13%; so -2% or so.

https://www.londonelects.org.uk/im-voter/election-progress/verification-and-turnout-data

An awful lot hinges on how well voters in the RefCon and LLG blocks have adapted to the FPTP rule change.
    That’s a boost for Khan .
  • Options
    boulay said:

Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

I’m hearing Andy Burnham has lost Manchester. You heard it here first.
    Thanks, I'm onto Betfair as we speak!
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,821
    Andy_JS said:

Not for the partisan dunderheads there isn't.

And, even if there is, that doesn't invalidate a prediction that's evidence-based and backed with cash.
  • Options

Libdems and Greens arent going to particularly vote tactically for Khan. Third term, expected easy win, doesn't matter much. And Binface was standing too.
  • Options

That isn't an attack. Its an observation. Rampers ramp. Besides, plenty of others - myself included - are quite excited by the idea of Trump Hall winning. I may be an amateur politician but its been a life-long hobby, and the funnier it gets the more I enjoy it.
    Neither were ramping.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 792

That makes more sense. It really shouldn't have been that much different to neighbouring Greenwich & Lewisham!

With that, then, you can say that there does seem to be a small differential change in turnout between Tory-leaning constituencies vs those that lean towards Labour.

But the effect is likely to be outweighed by the change in voting patterns caused by the move to FPTP.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Three reasons:
    1) BBC update councillors won and lost while a council is declaring, Guardian only when a council has finished declaring.

2) When a council is changing the number of councillors BBC seem to adjust the starting point to the new number and Guardian doesn't so the BBC number should net to zero and Guardian's doesn't need to.
    Example Redditch, Guardian have Lab +9, Con -11, Grn +1, LD -1 for a net -2, BBC have that as Lab +10, Con -11, Grn +1 for a net zero.

3) Mid term defections and by election gains/losses aren't treated consistently by either of them.
    Example in Southampton, a councillor was originally elected as Labour but then expelled from the party. Labour won that seat back but lost two seats elsewhere. BBC call that as -2 (as Labour won the seat last time), but Guardian call it as -1 (as an Independent held the seat immediately pre-election).
  • Options
    The Tories have gained a seat from Labour in St Helier, south London.

https://twitter.com/CGray8567/status/1786461018874339444
  • Options

Thought that looked a bit odd.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

If we had the voting figures for each from 2021, and assumed exactly the same voteshares today, we could quickly run an equivalent on those depressed turnout figures to show how close 2024 would be, where Khan would clearly drop beneath 40%.

I don't have them or the time, though, sadly.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    kle4 said:

As I said on the previous thread I have to leave that to others as I don't have the knowledge I am afraid.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Khan has reshortened to 1.16
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

And, even if there is, that doesn't invalidate a prediction that's evidence-based and backed with cash.
    Who are you calling partisan? Dunderhead , fair enough. I really have no particular interest in Khan, and under most circumstances I couldn't care less if the Tories win London. Except I do believe Susan Hall is such a malign individual she will take London back 50 years. Johnson didn't, Goldsmith and Bailey wouldn't have either.

Why are you so angry? I was making an observation you Muppet.
  • Options

Neither were ramping.
    Give over. Politicos ramp. And when the party you like has been beaten to a pulp, of course you look for salvation. As I posted earlier, if Hall wins London then the slide towards Tory ELE only steepens. No more faff from non-asshole voters, if you want them out you have to ensure you vote effectively - or at all. Labour's big threat is apathy. A Hall win ends the risk of apathy.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,932
    Evening all :)

Just popping in to see how my pre-election predictions are going:

Basildon – No Overall Control
    Epping Forest – Conservative Hold
    Fareham – Conservative Hold
    Gloucester – No Overall Control
    Harlow – Labour gain
    Havant – Conservative Hold
    Nuneaton & Bedworth – Labour gain
    Redditch – Labour gain

Okay on Basildon, Fareham, Nuneaton and Redditch. Harlow a Conservative hold by one seat and Havant the real surprise with ten Conservative losses pushing the council to NOC.

Still waiting on Gloucester and Epping Forest.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,151
    Given the importance of turnout in determining the result of a general election, I think any projection from local election results really should be treated as "just a bit of fun".
  • Options
    Reform grab a second Havant seat and Havant - NOC
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587
    sbjme19 said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Hang on South West Liberal stronghold plus Labour Hounslow, Croydon and Redbridge Labourish.
    Redbridge more than -ish, nowadays.

Meanwhile the LibDem/Tory councillor battle goes to the wire - neck and neck with ten councils to declare.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629

Labour down 5 in Bradford.

Hamas gains, alas.

Our ward has stayed red, with a thumping margin over the Tories.

You seem to be obsessed with Hamas! Give it a rest!
  • Options

Neither were ramping.
    Hall done the Trumpette thing and declared victory soon as polls closed. But looking how Labour sources kept possibility of defeat open for most the last 24hrs only to close it off this evening, they have quite clearly been the main tease in this funny game.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Khan has reshortened to 1.16
    So he's not very tall. Heightist!
  • Options
    Suella Watch: Looks good for the next Tory leader, while the rest of Havant has been poor for the Tories, the three wards that are part of Fareham and Waterlooville returned 9/9 Conservatives.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

Lab - 44%
    Con - 29%
    Lib Dem - 26%

And in 2009:

Con - 38%
    Lab - 23%
    Lib Dem - 28%

All comparisons with history that far back don’t impress me much, with voting in local elections now much more fragmented, those historical comparisons mean diddly squat.
    Even if you think the 38% achieved by Cameron isn't a fair comparison for Labour, the Tories beating the 23% (!!!) achieved by Gordon Brown should remind people that it's not over yet.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

Just popping in to see how my pre-election predictions are going:

Basildon – No Overall Control
    Epping Forest – Conservative Hold
    Fareham – Conservative Hold
    Gloucester – No Overall Control
    Harlow – Labour gain
    Havant – Conservative Hold
    Nuneaton & Bedworth – Labour gain
    Redditch – Labour gain

Okay on Basildon, Fareham, Nuneaton and Redditch. Harlow a Conservative hold by one seat and Havant the real surprise with ten Conservative losses pushing the council to NOC.

Still waiting on Gloucester and Epping Forest.

Epping Forest looks iffy......
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,858

I strongly suspect the reason for CCHQ last night to leak suggestions of a Hall win on Saturday was to get through expected terrible results during Friday. There may or may not have been a basis to the rumour but it's irrelevant. Their job is to spin not to provide an information service (As do all the others obviously).
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Who are you calling partisan? Dunderhead , fair enough. I really have no particular interest in Khan, and under most circumstances I couldn't care less if the Tories win London. Except I do believe Susan Hall is such a malign individual she will take London back 50 years. Johnson didn't, Goldsmith and Bailey wouldn't have either.

Why are you so angry? I was making an observation you Muppet.
    Quite entertaining the court jesters now the one melting down.

Where’s Anabob? Hitting the bottle? 🤭

They’ll be T R U S S E S galore tonight.
  • Options
    Khan will win by 6 points. Bookmark this comment
  • Options
    Labour got to be kicking themselves in Havant, topping the poll in 4 wards but only standing a full slate in 1 of them, leaving the 3rd seat open for a Green and two Reform.
  • Options

Reform grab a second Havant seat and Havant - NOC

In the two wards in Leigh Park (historically ginormous Portsmouth overspill council estate) where Labour put up two candidates for three seats.

If the plan was some sort of shabby understanding in the LLG block, it didn't work.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,141
    Leon said:

I have bookmarked it. In a book by someone called Sean Knox. But it’s bookmarked. I just need to remember I put it in that book.
  • Options
    edited May 3
    I see Labour came second in the Devon and Cornwall PCC election. That's doesn't bode well for a Lib Dem revival down there.

EDIT: but, interestingly, the Lib Dems came second in Gloucestershire, which surprises me.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The Tories have gained a seat from Labour in St Helier, south London.

https://twitter.com/CGray8567/status/1786461018874339444

A real close finish in that Ward in 2022 - the Conservatives won two of the three seats, Labour the other but the vote split Conservative 34%, Labour 33%, LD 30% and Green 3%. This time a poor result for Labour but very close between the Conservatives and Lib Dems.
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see PBs reach. Now the PB Brains Trust are falling behind a Khan win will Hall quickly drift on Beffair?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

Lab - 44%
    Con - 29%
    Lib Dem - 26%

And in 2009:

Con - 38%
    Lab - 23%
    Lib Dem - 28%

Even if you think the 38% achieved by Cameron isn't a fair comparison for Labour, the Tories beating the 23% (!!!) achieved by Gordon Brown should remind people that it's not over yet.
    Ed Miliband got 38% recently as 2012, still the local elections are so much more fragmented in 2024. As indeed those smorgasbord National polls!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587
    Dorset results feeding through now, looking good for the LDs
  • Options
    DM_Andy said:

Labour got to be kicking themselves in Havant, topping the poll in 4 wards but only standing a full slate in 1 of them, leaving the 3rd seat open for a Green and two Reform.

I did point out the absence of enough opposition candidates might help the Conservatives but I thought the Conservatives would keep control but I was wrong.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,346
    Leon said:

Do you know what, for once I think you're probably right. I think he'll come home with a result that we'd call "fine" in any other year.

But I'm not going to roast any other posters who think otherwise on the basis that no one knows what's going on and the people confidently predicting this or that have a 50% chance of looking stupid tomorrow.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

Lab - 44%
    Con - 29%
    Lib Dem - 26%

And in 2009:

Con - 38%
    Lab - 23%
    Lib Dem - 28%

Ed Miliband got 38% recently as 2012, still the local elections are so much more fragmented in 2024. As indeed those smorgasbord National polls!
    And Ed Miliband got 31% in 2014 with the Tories on 29%. Looking back, it was blindingly obvious that the Tories were going to win in 2015.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629

Libdems and Greens arent going to particularly vote tactically for Khan. Third term, expected easy win, doesn't matter much. And Binface was standing too.
    Binface!
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

Do you know what, for once I think you're probably right. I think he'll come home with a result that we'd call "fine" in any other year.

But I'm not going to roast any other posters who think otherwise on the basis that no one knows what's going on and the people confidently predicting this or that have a 50% chance of looking stupid tomorrow.
    “for once”????

Tut
  • Options

Neither were ramping.
    Give over. Politicos ramp. And when the party you like has been beaten to a pulp, of course you look for salvation. As I posted earlier, if Hall wins London then the slide towards Tory ELE only steepens. No more faff from non-asshole voters, if you want them out you have to ensure you vote effectively - or at all. Labour's big threat is apathy. A Hall win ends the risk of apathy.
    When I'm making betting tips I never ramp. Ever.

My record on here on that goes back 18 years.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,872
    boulay said:

Leon said:

I have bookmarked it. In a book by someone called Sean Knox. But it’s bookmarked. I just need to remember I put it in that book.
    Ha!

• Options
    DM_Andy said:

Not many people want to be councillor in their 20s and 30s so they might have struggled to find candidates. It's an old man's game these days. Pay is crap, zero prestige, little chance of changing anything with the current funding. Unless you're a weirdo desperate to be an MP there's not much to attract you to the role.
  • Options
    edited May 3

It will be interesting to see PBs reach. Now the PB Brains Trust are falling behind a Khan win will Hall quickly drift on Beffair?

Note that the quality of the PB brains trust starts to decline evenings from around 7pm, especially weekends. No-one has every quite worked out why....
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,925
    edited May 3
    DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

Bexley, Croydon, Havering, WC maybe, I would have said the SW at one point but I think that’s the closest thing the LDs have to a stronghold in London.
    Iirc LDs have basically all of the seats (90%) in Richmond & Merton, and a majority in Sutton.
  • Options

At the moment, sentiment on here is very much influenced by the movement in the market.

We should lead opinion and not follow it. And that should be evidence based.
  • Options
    Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

“for once”????

Tut
    Okay. I'll give you the Liz Truss rope-ring.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,002
    Ended up pretty good for the Lib Dems, but the media roadshow has moved on. A shame.
  • Options
    Leon said:

What's the sweet spot for this great metropolis? Khan but humbled?

Because even accepting that Khan is at best adequate and at worst mediocre, it's hard to see that Mayor Hall (who can't even look after her own travel pass) improves on that. More likely, she makes it all a lot worse.
  • Options

Note that the quality of the PB brains trust starts to decline evenings from around 7pm, especially weekends. No-one has every quite worked out why....
    Shuddap!

Some of us are trying to make money here. This is better than PoliticalBettingCoin. Sooooo maaaaany ruuuubes
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,459
    The shifting sentiment regarding Khan on here is reflected almost in real time on BF. He's back in to 1.12. Still, makes life interesting.

If he loses I will certainly post a certain Gif from Star Trek 2. Probably if he wins TBF.
  • Options
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    edited May 3
    From @Richard_Tyndall's numbers, change in turnout vs 2021 first preference votes.

• Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h

Lab - 44%
    Con - 29%
    Lib Dem - 26%

And in 2009:

Con - 38%
    Lab - 23%
    Lib Dem - 28%

And Ed Miliband got 31% in 2014 with the Tories on 29%. Looking back, it was blindingly obvious that the Tories were going to win in 2015.
    How then do we explain that Tuesday halfway through the campaign, 3 pollsters gave Milliband leads? Polling really can mislead sometimes.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,293
    @steve_hawkes

The Tories seem utterly broken privately
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 604
    DM_Andy said:

Suella Watch: Looks good for the next Tory leader, while the rest of Havant has been poor for the Tories, the three wards that are part of Fareham and Waterlooville returned 9/9 Conservatives.

Fareham is not part of Havant.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

DM_Andy said:

Not many people want to be councillor in their 20s and 30s so they might have struggled to find candidates. It's an old man's game these days. Pay is crap, zero prestige, little chance of changing anything with the current funding. Unless you're a weirdo desperate to be an MP there's not much to attract you to the role.
    They can come with a pretty sizable allowance and you can be a very bad councillor and do no work and still get at least that four year pot of money.

Of course, to their credit that is not a driver for most, many don't even know what allowances their council provides when standing. In my experience parties have made a drive towards younger candidates. Many won't last more than a term, but you'll get a few who then stick it out - those 30 year veterans in their 60s started out young!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,284
    edited May 3
    OnboardG1 said:

DM_Andy said:

Not sure that is entirely true, a hard working local councillor is often very respected, sometimes even more than the local MP if not too partisan and they can sort out problems with pavements, planning, anti social behaviour etc.

Though yes the allowances aren't much given the hours done, so it tends to be mainly the retired who do it and use the allowance to top up their pension. Those working full time and with families find it difficult to get the time to be a councillor so younger councillors tend to be single, have their own business or work part time or be full time politicians looking to stand for parliament
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,032
    Scott_xP said:

@MarwanData

Ok...

The full data has been released by
    @londonelects
    and I've done some digging.

In areas the Tories won, the turnout is up 6.5k votes.

In areas the Labour party won, the turnout is down ~42k votes.

Only a small swing is required for Khan to lose.

Those changes would only be about half of what is needed for Hall to win (comparing to 2021 first preference votes).
  • Options

Get over yourself 🙄
  • Options
    FF43 said:

I strongly suspect the reason for CCHQ last night to leak suggestions of a Hall win on Saturday was to get through expected terrible results during Friday. There may or may not have been a basis to the rumour but it's irrelevant. Their job is to spin not to provide an information service (As do all the others obviously).
    Do CCHQ control Stephen Bush?
  • Options
    LDs gain Tunny Wells just
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

The shifting sentiment regarding Khan on here is reflected almost in real time on BF. He's back in to 1.12. Still, makes life interesting.

If he loses I will certainly post a certain Gif from Star Trek 2. Probably if he wins TBF.

Can I do a header, using Crypto AI Novel Physics* to prove that Khan will win?

Then one using the same technology to prove that Hall must win?

*Invest Now To Get In At The Ground Floor.
  • Options
    SandraMc said:

DM_Andy said:

Fareham is not part of Havant.
    I know, but the new constituency of Fareham and Waterlooville contains seven wards from Fareham Borough, three from Havant Borough and two from City of Winchester.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I see Labour came second in the Devon and Cornwall PCC election. That's doesn't bode well for a Lib Dem revival down there.

EDIT: but, interestingly, the Lib Dems came second in Gloucestershire, which surprises me.

I'm expecting Labour second in Wiltshire (if not better - if they don't win it this time they never will). They came third marginally behind the LDs in 2021, dropped to four in the by-election for the role a few months later as the Indy candidate (who is standing again) got a boost, but this time there are no Wiltshire Council elections and another Labour surge in Swindon Borough Council.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Marginal difference then, not worth getting excited about.
This discussion has been closed.