Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What bloody man is that! Stands Scotland where it did? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,729
edited May 12 in General
imageWhat bloody man is that! Stands Scotland where it did? – politicalbetting.com

When Nicola Sturgeon resigned, John Swinney polled the highest of any potential candidate among SNP voters – 47% said he'd do a good job as First Minister. Watch this space for how SNP voters and the wider public rate the potential candidates to replace Humza Yousaf as FM now.. pic.twitter.com/GOws6wt2Ue

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928
    First
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127

C J Sansom has died.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2024/apr/29/cj-sansom-author-of-the-shardlake-novels-dies-aged-71

Dominion is one of my favourite alt-history novels.

Awesome author. Shardlake, Winter in Madrid, Dominion, have read them all.

Given his anti SNP tirade included, for seemingly no reason, at the end of Dominion, a Scottish thread header seems appropriate.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,552
    I have been wasting all my time being abusive about the utter incompetence and ineptitude of John Swinney on the previous thread and now we have a separate head threader all about this?

It may take me minutes to think up yet more reasons why Swinney would make Yousaf look good.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,739
    DavidL said:

I have been wasting all my time being abusive about the utter incompetence and ineptitude of John Swinney on the previous thread and now we have a separate head threader all about this?

It may take me minutes to think up yet more reasons why Swinney would make Yousaf look good.

The man can levitate at will.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,191
    @TheScreamingEagles, you are certainly educating us with respect to Shakespeare... :)
  • Options

DavidL said:

He's a member of the Natural Law Party?
  • Options
    edited April 29
    DavidL said:

Actually I exaggerate. The man was a disaster everywhere he went. This, according to Wiki was the results of his attempts to reduce the attainment gap whist Education Minister:

"A report by Audit Scotland in March 2021 concluded that the results of Swinney's efforts to reduce the poverty related attainment gap in Scottish education were "limited and [fell] short of the Scottish Government’s aims. Improvement needs to happen more quickly and there needs to be greater consistency across the country." In 10 Scottish council areas the attainment gap between the richest and the poorest children increased."

Also noteworthy the worst of the Pisa scores for Scotland occurred on his watch and his solution seemed to be that we wouldn't play any more.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

@TheScreamingEagles, you are certainly educating us with respect to Shakespeare... :)

Phew, somebody spotted my two subtle Macbeth references.

I plan to do other threads with headlines from other Shakespeare plays.

I love Shakespeare.
  • Options
    Who is the Rehman Chishti candidate for the SNP is the bigger question for me.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Actually I exaggerate. The man was a disaster everywhere he went. This, according to Wiki was the results of his attempts to reduce the attainment gap whist Education Minister:

"A report by Audit Scotland in March 2021 concluded that the results of Swinney's efforts to reduce the poverty related attainment gap in Scottish education were "limited and [fell] short of the Scottish Government’s aims. Improvement needs to happen more quickly and there needs to be greater consistency across the country." In 10 Scottish council areas the attainment gap between the richest and the poorest children increased."
    So he at least had an effect - that's more than most ministers manage. So now he just needs to work on his direction.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Possibly.

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,456
    edited April 29
    I played said Bloody Man (the injured Captain/Sergeant depending on edition) in a production of the Scottish Play in St Edmund Hall garden in 1994. It was terrible. I was terrible, even in such a small part. But it was a lovely summer. Also much corpsing one night at an unfortunate emphasis on "bloody"...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.
    All things considered, Macbeth is my favourite Shakespeare play.

With the possible exception of Hamlet. And Romeo and Juliet of course...
  • Options
    Tory Leadership candidates (they are a large group, more growing every day) went to the trouble of getting graphic designers to prepare logos for their leadership bids. I wish to see a half dozen variations on the SNP logo for their contest (if there is one).
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,772
    Excerpt from the Guardian on the Irish asylum thingy

“The diplomacy unfolded against a backdrop of rising anxiety about deportations. Rivka Shaw, a policy officer at Greater Manchester Immigration Aid Unit, a legal advice centre, said thousands of people feared being “bundled into a van” and placed in detention.

“We’ve heard from people who are absolutely terrified,” she said. “That includes unaccompanied children who are in the asylum system [and] we’re talking about people who might have been here for two years already, living in our communities, going to our schools, possibly adults in education, volunteering, while waiting in this limbo of an asylum system.””

Looks to me like Rwanda MIGHT be working

It’s not pleasant. It’s very unpleasant. But it’s meant to be. It’s a deterrent

• Options

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,551
    kle4 said:

Tory Leadership candidates (they are a large group, more growing every day) went to the trouble of getting graphic designers to prepare logos for their leadership bids. I wish to see a half dozen variations on the SNP logo for their contest (if there is one).

Oh god, you’ve just given me flashbacks to RISH!
  • Options
    AbandonedHopeAbandonedHope Posts: 87
    edited April 29

viewcode said:

Extremely subtle. I wish somebody had pointed them out…

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.
    I could be well moved if I were as you.

I like Macbeth. I don’t love it.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,406
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Also noteworthy the worst of the Pisa scores for Scotland occurred on his watch and his solution seemed to be that we wouldn't play any more.
    He seems to inspire a similar level of stroke-inducing animosity in you as the Greens (Scotch variety).

I’m compiling a list in my head of PBers who voted for Johnson (I won’t bother with SCon no-marks) so I can put their judgment into context. Can I put you down for BJ (as it were)?
  • Options

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Possibly.

He didn't have that effect on school results.

Oh, and he was responsible for the Named Person legislation which tried to create a public official responsible for the care of each child in Scotland just in case parents got ideas above their station.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,566

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.
    May Tempests rage about you.
  • Options
    edited April 29

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.
    Othello is bloody good. Midsummer Night’s Dream is enchanting. Romeo and Juliet is a ridiculously strong story. Henry V is genuinely stirring. Richard III is stuffed with great moments

Hamlet and Macbeth are titanic

The only time I’ve cried at a Shakespeare play was Nicol Williamson playing Hamlet at the Roundhouse. It was a famous production in 1969 - I didn’t see it THERE. I was a tiny tot

But I’ve watched it on video since. Oh my days

http://everybodysreviewing.blogspot.com/2020/08/review-by-robert-richardson-of-hamlet.html
  • Options

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Possibly.

The only time he raised exam results...
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,292
    @Steven_Swinford
    Breaking:

Yougov poll suggests there is a world in which Tories could hold *both* West Midlands and Tees Valley mayoralties - but it is very, very tight

Houchen is narrowly ahead in Tees Valley

Street is only just ahead in West Mids but Yougov says it's within margin of error too close to call

Tees Valley (poll of 924 voters)

Ben Houchen, Tory - 51
    Chris McEwan, Labour - 44
    Simon Thorley, Lib Dem - 5

West Midlands (poll of 1495 voters)
    Andy Street, Tory - 41
    Richard Parker, Labour - 39
    Sunny Virk, Lib Dem - 2
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,624

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.
    https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4758895#Comment_4758895
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

He seems to inspire a similar level of stroke-inducing animosity in you as the Greens (Scotch variety).

I’m compiling a list in my head of PBers who voted for Johnson (I won’t bother with SCon no-marks) so I can put their judgment into context. Can I put you down for BJ (as it were)?
    Do you mean as leader? Obviously not because I am not a member of the Conservative party. I did vote Conservative in 2019 if that is what you mean.

I don't hold any animosity towards Swinney. I consider him utterly useless but its not personal. I am just fed up of one incompetent after another playing at running the country and failing to address our many issues. And that applies to both the UK and Scotland.
  • Options
    edited April 29
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.
    Othello is bloody good. Midsummer Night’s Dream is enchanting. Romeo and Juliet is a ridiculously strong story. Henry V is genuinely stirring. Richard III is stuffed with great moments

The only time I’ve cried at a Shakespeare play was Nicol Williamson playing Hamlet at the Roundhouse. It was a famous production in 1969 - I didn’t see it THERE. I was a tiny tot

http://everybodysreviewing.blogspot.com/2020/08/review-by-robert-richardson-of-hamlet.html
    Professionally I am occasionally compared to Iago.

I once saw Sir Patrick Stewart play the white Othello that was amazing but there's not a Shakespeare play I don't like.
  • Options
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.

King Lear. It has to be King Lear. The depth of emotion and examination of the human condition is phenomenal.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford
    Breaking:

Yougov poll suggests there is a world in which Tories could hold *both* West Midlands and Tees Valley mayoralties - but it is very, very tight

Street is only just ahead in West Mids but Yougov says it's within margin of error too close to call

Ben Houchen, Tory - 51

Andy Street, Tory - 41
    Sunny Virk, Lib Dem - 2

Which would mean precisely bugger all in the grand scheme of things, but would at least give some distraction.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.
    May Tempests rage about you.
    "Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!"
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,103
    Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford
    Breaking:

Ben Houchen, Tory - 51

Andy Street, Tory - 41
    Sunny Virk, Lib Dem - 2

The Tees Valley has a large amount of DKs and wouldn’t vote so it looks like the election isn’t raising much interest.

My issue with the polling is the unusually long fieldwork dates , from April 12 to 29 .

So it’s not going to pick up closer to the time movements .
  • Options

Leon said:

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.

I once saw Sir Patrick Stewart play the white Othello that was amazing but there's not a Shakespeare play I don't like.
    Some get tedious when they go on too long. Especially when they get to Twelfth Night.
  • Options

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.
    "Once more unto the breach, dear friends!"
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford
    Breaking:

Ben Houchen, Tory - 51

Andy Street, Tory - 41
    Sunny Virk, Lib Dem - 2

Which would mean precisely bugger all in the grand scheme of things, but would at least give some distraction.
    If Andy Street wins I will be unbearably smug* after I tipped him to win when the polls had him 14% behind.

*Well smugger than usual.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Do you mean as leader? Obviously not because I am not a member of the Conservative party. I did vote Conservative in 2019 if that is what you mean.

I don't hold any animosity towards Swinney. I consider him utterly useless but its not personal. I am just fed up of one incompetent after another playing at running the country and failing to address our many issues. And that applies to both the UK and Scotland.
    I'm sure we're due for a turnaround.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,929
    Evening all :)

Stands Scotland where it did?
    Alas, poor country almost afraid to know itself.

The second line adds much needed context to the first.

If you want context, there are those who believe every single Reform vote will head to the Conservatives at the first whiff of electoral gunpowder. A more realistic aim might be the 23% of 2019 Conservative voters who now back Reform - with the 2019 Conservative at 45%, 23% of that would be just over 10% of the entire electorate so you could see the Conservative vote share at 33% with Reform down to 3%.

The actual polling of Reform voters has suggested only a third would support the Conservatives absent a Reform candidate so that would push the Conservatives to the mid to upper 20s on tonight's polling.

In the 2021 PCC elections, the Conservatives led 44.5%-30% and won 30 with Labour winning 8.

On a straight 16% swing from Conservative to Labour, the Conservatives would hold just four. Turnout in 2021 was 34% - will be it any better on Thursday?
  • Options
    megasaurmegasaur Posts: 218
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.

I have seen Macbeth in the open air under the walls of Cawdor castle. Micro production with 3 or 4 actors doing all parts. What sticks in my mind is the witches scenes where 3 of them sat round the cauldron and the 4th was concealed by the stage except for his hands in orange washing up gloves which he wiggled under the cauldron, as flames.
  • Options
    Kate Forbes is actively considering a bid to succeed Humza Yousaf as leader of the SNP, The Telegraph understands.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/04/29/rishi-sunak-latest-news-humza-yousaf-snp-scotland/
  • Options

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.
    Do I get the feeling you like Henry V?
  • Options
    The best prescription to alleviate anxiety and depression in the country is for the Tories to lose the election .

• Options
    edited April 29

Leon said:

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.

Julius Caesar is just superb and in many ways one of his more political plays. When I saw Yousaf described as an honourable man earlier it immediately brought it back to mind.

But for me, it has to be MacBeth. I don't know if it is because I am Scottish but it is as brilliant a description of a competent and capable man falling into evil as a result of over ambition as you will find in fiction and yet the Bard was subtle enough to have him cry at the end "lay on MacDuff and damned be he who cries enough". For all his evil and corruption shades of his better character remain.

It is a work of genius.

If I was going to be critical of any of them I would suggest Much ado about nothing is quite well named. I really didn't enjoy that at school.
  • Options

Kate Forbes is actively considering a bid to succeed Humza Yousaf as leader of the SNP, The Telegraph understands.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/04/29/rishi-sunak-latest-news-humza-yousaf-snp-scotland/

Wouldn’t she feel more at home in Alabama . She can’t run away from her social views .
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.
    I have yet
    Room for six scotches more.
  • Options

I know things are moving quickly and it is not unreasonable that possible candidates need to take soundings, but I'm not a fan of politician's leaking about how they are 'considering' running. Liz Kendall got some props from me in 2015 when she answered straightforwardly to an early direct question about running.

Didn't help her any in the contest mind you.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,447
    kle4 said:

Who is the Rehman Chishti candidate for the SNP is the bigger question for me.

That would be Rehman "The Man" Chisti". Who is about to defect and offer himself as the unity candidate. Hard to argue with the First Minister when he lives in Kent. Problem solved.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.
    "I can see you, Kirk. Can you see me?"
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.

Julius Caesar is just superb and in many ways one of his more political plays. When I saw Yousaf described as an honourable man earlier it immediately brought it back to mind.

But for me, it has to be MacBeth. I don't know if it is because I am Scottish but it is as brilliant a description of a competent and capable man falling into evil as a result of over ambition as you will find in fiction and yet the Bard was subtle enough to have him cry at the end "lay on MacDuff and damned be he who cries enough". For all his evil and corruption shades of his better character remain.

It is a work of genius.

If I was going to be critical of any of them I would suggest Much ado about nothing is quite well named. I really didn't enjoy that at school.
    You don't have to be Scottish to love Macbeth, that, Julius Caesar and Hamlet are epics.

I love The Hollow Crown too.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.
    I Kahnt, no.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469
    megasaur said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.

I have seen Macbeth in the open air under the walls of Cawdor castle. Micro production with 3 or 4 actors doing all parts. What sticks in my mind is the witches scenes where 3 of them sat round the cauldron and the 4th was concealed by the stage except for his hands in orange washing up gloves which he wiggled under the cauldron, as flames.
    Pleased to say I have tickets to see Ian McKellan as Falstaff in The Player Kings (conflation of Henry IV pts 1& 2) a bit later this year. Last saw him as Richard III many years ago togged out in fascist-style uniform.

Falstaff is truly one of the great roles, and McKellan has never played him. Should be something!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford
    Breaking:

Ben Houchen, Tory - 51

Andy Street, Tory - 41
    Sunny Virk, Lib Dem - 2

The Good News if the Lord Houchen of Teesport wins reelection is that we get to watch the circus after the NAO report leads to a police investigation.

Before anyone asks, getting a police investigation is easy these days. And like James Daly MP there is no obligation to actual state an allegation. Just that allegations have been made and its right that the police investigate the allegations, and my God, have you heard the allegations? Etc.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,832
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.
    I Kahnt, no.
    7 out of 9 for that one.
  • Options
    edited April 29
    Shakespeare bores me to tears.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.
    I Kahnt, no.
    "Can you see me? Oh, now be honest, Captain, warrior to warrior. You do prefer it this way, don't you, as it was meant to be? No peace in our time. "Once more unto the breach, dear friends.""
  • Options

DavidL said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.

It is a work of genius.

You don't have to be Scottish to love Macbeth, that, Julius Caesar and Hamlet are epics.

I've never watched The Hollow Crown. Do you recommend it?

I never got to know Henry V at school because we didn't study it. I though Branagh's performance in that role is the best thing he's ever done.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,726
    nico679 said:

The best prescription to alleviate anxiety and depression in the country is for the Tories to lose the election .

But maybe not enough, though it would help. There are a number of factors, but I suspect right at the top is the return of real war, involving a nuclear armed enemy of our deepest interests, to Europe at a time when there is little sense of military preparedness, and a strong possibility of American isolationism.

It isn't difficult to add to the list, so long that the destruction of Khartoum hardly gets reported.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.

It is a work of genius.

I never got to know Henry V at school because we didn't study it. I though Branagh's performance in that role is the best thing he's ever done.
    God yes.

Watch this version for free here (then watch the War of the Roses)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b07bqgjn/the-hollow-crown
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.
    I Kahnt, no.
    "Can you see me? Oh, now be honest, Captain, warrior to warrior. You do prefer it this way, don't you, as it was meant to be? No peace in our time. "Once more unto the breach, dear friends.""
    He failed in his Enterprise.
  • Options

Shakespeare bores me to tears.

"You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon."

"taH pagh, taH be?"
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,180
    Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford
    Breaking:

Ben Houchen, Tory - 51

Andy Street, Tory - 41
    Sunny Virk, Lib Dem - 2

Might be worth putting a combination bet on those outcomes.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,429
    “All they want is a country to call home”, a hard hitting end to an article on asylum seekers in Dublin. The journalist made it clear the situation suits both the Irish and British govts. People sleeping in tents in Dublin in dinghy back alleys. Shames us all.
  • Options
    megasaur said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.

Literally the first time I ever saw Macbeth was live at the Globe - where it would have been first enacted back in Shakespeare’s day. I had no idea it was that good. It is that good. So many superb lines. Genius

Incidentally I am reading (and listening to, as I drive) a brilliant biography of Napoleon by Adam Zamoyski. Much better than the hagiographic snooze fest by Andrew Roberts

I’ve learned that Napoleon was accused of incestuously coupling with his sisters (with some evidence…)

Also that his name for Josephine’s noo-noo was “your little rascal”

And also that he was mildly obsessed with British poetry. Especially Ossian - he was insane for Ossian - and also Othello. He could quote large chunks of Othello (presumably in French)
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,157

Leon said:

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.

The recent Henry VIII at the Globe was a bit of a revelation. I never particularly liked it before, but they did a brilliant job.
  • Options
    edited April 29
    As Leon mentioned earlier:

"UK will not accept return of asylum seekers from Ireland, Rishi Sunak says
    Prime minister dismisses potential deal with Dublin, increasing prospect of an escalating UK-Irish crisis"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/apr/29/uk-not-accept-return-asylum-seekers-ireland-rishi-sunak
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.

It is a work of genius.

It’s a superb performance. But I’d also add his role as Heydrich at the Wannsee Conference in “Conspiracy”. Chillingly good
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.

It is a work of genius.

The film of Julius Caesar with Marlon Brando as Mark Antony was (maybe still is) on Iplayer. Surprisingly watchable. Also has James Mason and John Gielgud. All with very different acting styles yet it somehow gels.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

"Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us, shall we not revenge?"
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,726

megasaur said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.

Pleased to say I have tickets to see Ian McKellan as Falstaff in The Player Kings (conflation of Henry IV pts 1& 2) a bit later this year. Last saw him as Richard III many years ago togged out in fascist-style uniform.

Falstaff is truly one of the great roles, and McKellan has never played him. Should be something!
    Saw him do Hamlet in the early 1970s. (And the best of Falstaff is Verdi's wonderful opera).
  • Options
    Leon said:

megasaur said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.

Literally the first time I ever saw Macbeth was live at the Globe - where it would have been first enacted back in Shakespeare’s day. I had no idea it was that good. It is that good. So many superb lines. Genius

Incidentally I am reading (and listening to, as I drive) a brilliant biography of Napoleon by Adam Zamoyski. Much better than the hagiographic snooze fest by Andrew Roberts

I’ve learned that Napoleon was accused of incestuously coupling with his sisters (with some evidence…)

And also that he was mildly obsessed with British poetry. Especially Ossian - he was insane for Ossian - and also Othello. He could quote large chunks of Othello (presumably in French)
    My first MacBeth was a school trip. Albert Finney. My abiding memory is of some of the lads lobbing pork pies from the gallery into the stalls during lights out.
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 604
    On the subject of Shakespeare, it appears that the National Trust is going to be responsible for the demise of BOAT - the Brownsea Open Air Theatre. BOAT stages a season of a different Shakespeare play each year. You go across on the boat to the Island, have a picnic and then watch the play. The NT wants the amphitheatre removed and other changes which would make BOAT uneconomical. The story appears in the Mail but it does seem like pretty shitty behaviour from the NT.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,241
    nico679 said:

Wouldn’t she feel more at home in Alabama . She can’t run away from her social views .
    Pathetic and bigoted
  • Options
    Leon said:

Taz said:

“All they want is a country to call home”, a hard hitting end to an article on asylum seekers in Dublin. The journalist made it clear the situation suits both the Irish and British govts. People sleeping in tents in Dublin in dinghy back alleys. Shames us all.

Why exactly does it shame us? What nonsense. Are we expected to house and feed the world? Get tae fuck

We need to grow a pair of cullions and accept the world is tough and cruel. The best thing we can do for these people is impose a deterrent so they stop crossing the channel and drowning (likewise the Med)

The idea the British are sadistic and xenophobic is fucking bollocks (similarly Ireland). We just accepted 1.4 MILLION migrants in 2 years. A number unprecedented in our history. And yet we have to take more people undocumented AS WELL?

Pff
    You seem to miss a rather basic point. People didn’t want to accept 1.4m migrants. They didn’t want to accept 1.4 migrants. A decent chunk of right-leaning voters want the foreigners out - which is why the Tories are so screwed in the polls
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Oh well, if not taking any responsibility for the consequences you at least to admit to voting for one bunch of incompetents. It’s a start I guess.

I’ve been thinking on why Scottish Unionists are so terrible at coming up with an offer that appeals to voters; SLab just wait till the SNP fucks up, SCons know they’re never going to get elected to power so what’s the point, and SLDs, who cares? In the end I think it’s a mentality that depends on macro policy being set in London and they’ll get their turn, which makes even the semi-sentient ones intellectually lazy. Anas (the brown one that isn’t Humza or Aamer) after much forehead wrinkling has come up with the change Scotland needs’. That’s it, not a smidgeon of alternative policy or governance.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,169
    Pretty meh YouGov for SLAB given the circumstances.

Latest Westminster voting intention (Scotland)

Lab: 34% (+1 from 2 Apr)
    SNP: 33% (+2)
    Con: 14% (=)
    Lib Dem: 8% (+1)
    Reform UK: 5% (-2)
    Green: 4% (-1)
    Other: 2% (-1)

Latest Holyrood voting intention (constituency)

SNP: 36% (+2 from 2 Apr)
    Lab: 32% (=)
    Con: 16% (+1)
    Lib Dem: 9% (=)
    Green: 3% (-1)
    Other: 4% (-1)

Latest Holyrood voting intention (regional)
    SNP: 31% (+2 from 2 Apr)
    Labour: 28% (-1)
    Conservative: 17% (+1)
    Lib Dem: 8% (=)
    Green: 8% (-1)
    Reform UK: 3% (-2)
    Alba: 3% (=)
    Fieldwork conducted 26-29 Apr, all prior to Yousaf's resignation
  • Options
    SandraMc said:

On the subject of Shakespeare, it appears that the National Trust is going to be responsible for the demise of BOAT - the Brownsea Open Air Theatre. BOAT stages a season of a different Shakespeare play each year. You go across on the boat to the Island, have a picnic and then watch the play. The NT wants the amphitheatre removed and other changes which would make BOAT uneconomical. The story appears in the Mail but it does seem like pretty shitty behaviour from the NT.

That’s rubbish from the NT. I’ve never heard of BOAT but it sounds charming. I’ve actually stayed
    on Brownsea in one of the little NT cottages. There was a massive storm and it was properly exciting
  • Options

Around 60% supporting unionist parties, which is slightly higher than you get in the independence question opinion polls.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,676
    Nigelb said:

Thames Water collapse could trigger Truss-style borrowing crisis, Whitehall officials fear

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/apr/28/thames-water-collapse-borrowing-whitehall-uk-finances-bonds-liz-truss
    Senior Whitehall officials fear Thames Water’s financial collapse could trigger a rise in government borrowing costs not seen since the chaos of the Liz Truss mini-budget, the Guardian can reveal.

Such is their concern about the impact on wider borrowing costs for the UK, even beyond utilities and infrastructure, that they believe Thames should be renationalised before the general election.

Officials in the Treasury and the UK’s Debt Management Office fear that, unless the UK’s biggest water company is renationalised as soon as possible, “prolonged uncertainty” about its fate could “damage confidence in UK plc at a sensitive time”, with elections in the UK and the US later this year.

Thames Water’s extra £1.1bn will do little to steady the sinking ship
    Read more
    Earlier this month, the Guardian revealed details of government contingency plans, known as Project Timber, to renationalise Thames via a special administration. This could lead to the bulk of its £15bn of debt being moved on to the government’s balance sheet. Thames’ investors have refused to pump more money into the struggling company amid a standoff with the water regulator Ofwat.

Some lenders to its core operating company could lose up to 40% of their money under the plans, a move that officials believe marks a careful balance between managing public outrage at the water company’s many failures and the need to sustain investor confidence in the UK..

..Whitehall officials expect any restructuring that involves investors losing money in Thames’ water operating company to trigger legal action against the government and Ofwat. Still, officials view a swift renationalisation that forces lenders to bear losses as preferable to a long, drawn out debate over the fate of Thames that weighs on the UK’s needs to raise capital for infrastructure projects and for its general debt issuance.

The Debt Management Office (DMO), an arm of the Treasury, is responsible for issuing new UK debt. In response to figures last week showing that Hunt will probably need to borrow more than originally hoped, the body announced it would increase sales of UK gilts this year by an extra £12.4bn. This takes the total expected sale of UK government debt this year to £277.7bn.

The government declined to comment on questions about the Treasury and DMO’s concerns.

A spokesperson for the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs said: “Given water companies are commercial entities, it would be inappropriate for government to comment specifically on Thames Water.”

In a potential signal of the debt challenges the UK faces, a recent sale of new debt recorded the highest borrowing costs for a 30-year term bond sold via a syndication – a group of lenders – since 2005, when records began.

Nah, that's a load of waffle. The bond holders are already preparing for a 60-70% haircut on their holdings. That's how it goes down. Thames is bankrupted, the subordinate bondholders take full loss haircut, the seniors take a 30-40% hit and take control and then float/sell it to the state to recover some of their loss, or we may even get a £1 sale to the government with a transfer of remaining debt as part of the deal, I'd guess around £4-5bn is transferred if that's what is chosen.
  • Options

Leon said:

Taz said:

Why exactly does it shame us? What nonsense. Are we expected to house and feed the world? Get tae fuck

We need to grow a pair of cullions and accept the world is tough and cruel. The best thing we can do for these people is impose a deterrent so they stop crossing the channel and drowning (likewise the Med)

The idea the British are sadistic and xenophobic is fucking bollocks (similarly Ireland). We just accepted 1.4 MILLION migrants in 2 years. A number unprecedented in our history. And yet we have to take more people undocumented AS WELL?

Pff
    You seem to miss a rather basic point. People didn’t want to accept 1.4m migrants. They didn’t want to accept 1.4 migrants. A decent chunk of right-leaning voters want the foreigners out - which is why the Tories are so screwed in the polls
    They didn’t but they have. The hard right has not surged. There’s no rioting in the streets. The British have accepted an almighty influx of foreign migrants and shrugged unhappily - and that’s it

It’s incredible. It’s also a good thing. We don’t want a British Trump. However I suggest that HMG should really not push its luck any more, and stop relying on the relaxed good nature of the British voters - and get a bloody grip on migration, and that definitely includes the boats

Otherwise we will end up in a bad place
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,272
    Not sure what the point of Yousaf resigning is, unless his successor can restart a coalition government with the Greens or do a deal with Alba he still can't govern. Swinney may be the safest pair of hands but his last stint as SNP leader was hardly glorious
  • Options
    edited April 29
    Leon said:

megasaur said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.

I've read that biography. Certainly came across as a more nuanced take on Napoleon that we often get.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Not sure what the point of Yousaf resigning is, unless his successor can restart a coalition government with the Greens or do a deal with Alba he still can't govern. Swinney may be the safest pair of hands but his last stint as SNP leader was hardly glorious

The next leader only needs a minority that won't collapse for 2 years. The Greens won't be brought back in government, but they seem most pissed by how Yousaf ended things, so with him gone presumably there's some price for continued support short of the Bute House level backing there was before.
  • Options

Surely Humza was such a disaster (©PB Scotchperts) the SNP numbers can only go up?

But anyway, lol.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

nico679 said:

Pathetic and bigoted
    Whose the bigot . I’m not the one judging what people do in their private lives . Forbes seems happy to look down on those who dare to have sex before marriage , is anti-abortion and anti gay marriage . She can suck up the consequences to making those opinions public . She can drone on about her principled stand , her principles thankfully aren’t shared by the majority .
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

megasaur said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.

I've read that biography. Certainly came across as a more nuanced take on Napoleon that we often get.
    He’s either a warrior hero or a proto-Hitler. This seems to be an attempt to judge him in the round. It’s also full of salacious gossip, which was sadly lacking from Roberts’ effort - which I abandoned half way through. Also endless detailed discourse about battles and enfilades and flanking movements gets old very fast.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,605
    This is so tackily shit it beggars belief. Do Labour moles work in social media ops for Conservatives?

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1784860222806266011
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,694
    Question for Forbes Fans:

Given that she's the One Who Lost To Hamza Yousaf, wouldn't the omens for her ascension be pretty poor?
  • Options
    Fuck it. Oysters again
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,169

Surely Humza was such a disaster (©PB Scotchperts) the SNP numbers can only go up?

But anyway, lol.
    A plausible explanation below.

Mark McGeoghegan
    @markmcgeoghegan
    ·
    36m
    What is perhaps more likely is that events on Thursday and Friday have been interpreted as a problem with Yousaf, and not necessarily the SNP, among SNP voters. 40% of SNP voters in this poll wanted Yousaf removed as FM.
  • Options

Question for Forbes Fans:

Given that she's the One Who Lost To Hamza Yousaf, wouldn't the omens for her ascension be pretty poor?

Runner ups given another chance always work out well, just look at Rish...oh, right.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Baz Luhrmann was great
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

megasaur said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

I love Shakespeare.

Hamlet for me.

He’s either a warrior hero or a proto-Hitler. This seems to be an attempt to judge him in the round. It’s also full of salacious gossip, which was sadly lacking from Roberts’ effort - which I abandoned half way through. Also endless detailed discourse about battles and enfilades and flanking movements gets old very fast.
    He definitely had good PR people after his death.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

nico679 said:

Pathetic and bigoted
    My voting card for Thursday says I can identify myself with a Scottish National Entitlement Card.

Puzzling. I thought it had already been played.
  • Options
    "When in July 2000 Alex Salmond made the surprise announcement that he was stepping down as the SNP's leader after a decade in the job, heavy betting pointed to Swinney as his preferred successor. At the Inverness SNP conference that September, he was elected leader by 67% of the votes to fundamentalist Alex Neil's 33%, and in his victory speech said: "I stand here as the first leader in the history of the SNP who has a hard headed opportunity to lead our party into government and our country on to independence.""

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2001/mar/25/alexsalmond
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029

But anyway, lol.
    See Truss.
  • Options

But anyway, lol.
    Scotchperts is desperately bad, but maybe that was your aim. If so, bravo
  • Options
    PB!!!

Seventy four years after everyone else I’ve finally watched The Traitors. It is incredibly clever and compulsively watchable

Is season 2 anywhere near as good?
  • Options
    legatuslegatus Posts: 126
    Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford
    Breaking:

Ben Houchen, Tory - 51

Andy Street, Tory - 41
    Sunny Virk, Lib Dem - 2

Those figures actually imply a swing to the Tories in both Mayoral areas compared with May 2017 when Theresa May was riding high.
This discussion has been closed.