Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

To be, or not to be: that is the question – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,575
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

Leon said:

@Leon

I don't think poshness is changing. Of course, social kudos is always changing - girls want to be instafamous now, they don't all dream of being Lady Diana Spencer. However, I think poshness is at it ever was. And indeed, the young lady at the centre of swirling rumours concerning the Wales's marriage, has nothing going for her that Kate doesn't (I think she's less good looking), except that she is firmly of the horsey upper class. The comfort zone of posh is posh.

No, I’m sorry, that’s wrong

Poshness means literally zero if it can’t be exercised to effect in the socio-political world

Class still matters of course (esp in the UK) - but once you’ve learned to speak RP and learned how to use a knife and say scone (like “gone”) and how to do all the other tiny things that bespeak social elevation then it fades away entirely these days. And, btw, it takes about 12 weeks to learn the social codes of English poshness if you really insist on doing it

Beyond that, what does it mean? Nothing. If someone met me and said in the second sentence “by the way I’m the 13th Duke of Lancashire” I’d think 1. That’s mildly interesting and 2. This person is a fucking twat

So how does he announce that he is socially
    and - more importantly - where does this alleged superiority get him with me? Nowhere. It is positively counter productive for the personal reasons I’ve delineated (I’ve done more than him and been more places than him and earned more from my own brain than him, for sure)

What, then, is his poshness? How does it matter?

To me it doesn’t. To my daughters maybe yes a tiny bit (for marriage) but they’d be far better off marrying a Silicon Valley tech bro and they’d also be more engaged by that

There! I have my gazette article

POSHNESS IS OVER

Thanks (also I do really believe this)
    Is that not just a sign of the world in which there are far, far more rich Americans than there are rich, posh English? The newly rich from many countries may try to emulated 'posh', but Americans are far more brash with their wealth.

But for Brits, in practice there are still a significant number of well paid areas where
    the upper echelons are for the posh.

The solution of course is to ignore those
    areas and make money somewhere they
    don't care about 'poshness'. The posh will
    become increasingly diminished even within
    the UK.
    Poshness is just short hand for “someone who is broadly accepted to be in the top echelon of society”.

Every society is different - in the US it is money or philanthropy. I would argue that Lilly, Pritzker or Phipps families are far “posher” than Musk. But you’ve probably never heard of them…

In the UK it is lineage. The Beckhams are admired for what they have achieved as individuals. But no one has that much positive to say about the kids.

But it’s bollocks. Who can personally call Vlad Putin and expect an immediate reply? It’s not the 19th earl of Shropshire is it? Nor is it the Pritzkers

Its Musk

Outside major major political leaders he has greater actual power and higher social standing than any of them. And by a vast distance

The Habsburgs USED to have that. Now it is merely a quaint surname and a knowledge to leave the last waistcoat button, unbuttoned
    Getting through to world leaders is about power, or maybe influence, not poshness.
    We need a new word then

Because if poshness bestows little to zero social benefit on its owners then what is it? Maybe it becomes mere etiquette, and about as important. Not nothing, but not much either
    We need to find someone who reads the Tatler, and ask them.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,591

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

Leon said:

@Leon

I don't think poshness is changing. Of course, social kudos is always changing - girls want to be instafamous now, they don't all dream of being Lady Diana Spencer. However, I think poshness is at it ever was. And indeed, the young lady at the centre of swirling rumours concerning the Wales's marriage, has nothing going for her that Kate doesn't (I think she's less good looking), except that she is firmly of the horsey upper class. The comfort zone of posh is posh.

Poshness means literally zero if it can’t be exercised to effect in the socio-political world

Class still matters of course (esp in the UK) - but once you’ve learned to speak RP and learned how to use a knife and say scone (like “gone”) and how to do all the other tiny things that bespeak social elevation then it fades away entirely these days. And, btw, it takes about 12 weeks to learn the social codes of English poshness if you really insist on doing it

Beyond that, what does it mean? Nothing. If someone met me and said in the second sentence “by the way I’m the 13th Duke of Lancashire” I’d think 1. That’s mildly interesting and 2. This person is a fucking twat

and - more importantly - where does this alleged superiority get him with me? Nowhere. It is positively counter productive for the personal reasons I’ve delineated (I’ve done more than him and been more places than him and earned more from my own brain than him, for sure)

To me it doesn’t. To my daughters maybe yes a tiny bit (for marriage) but they’d be far better off marrying a Silicon Valley tech bro and they’d also be more engaged by that

POSHNESS IS OVER

Is that not just a sign of the world in which there are far, far more rich Americans than there are rich, posh English? The newly rich from many countries may try to emulated 'posh', but Americans are far more brash with their wealth.

But for Brits, in practice there are still a significant number of well paid areas where

the UK.
    Poshness is just short hand for “someone who is broadly accepted to be in the top echelon of society”.

Every society is different - in the US it is money or philanthropy. I would argue that Lilly, Pritzker or Phipps families are far “posher” than Musk. But you’ve probably never heard of them…

In the UK it is lineage. The Beckhams are admired for what they have achieved as individuals. But no one has that much positive to say about the kids.

But it’s bollocks. Who can personally call Vlad Putin and expect an immediate reply? It’s not the 19th earl of Shropshire is it? Nor is it the Pritzkers

Its Musk

Outside major major political leaders he has greater actual power and higher social standing than any of them. And by a vast distance

The Habsburgs USED to have that. Now it is merely a quaint surname and a knowledge to leave the last waistcoat button, unbuttoned

Getting through to world leaders is about power, or maybe influence, not poshness.
    We need a new word then

Because if poshness bestows little to zero social benefit on its owners then what is it? Maybe it becomes mere etiquette, and about as important. Not nothing, but not much either
    It has social benefit. It’s the entry to a world where people are relaxed in each other’s company, never worry about money and have nothing to prove.

That’s not power, or fame, access, or wealth. It’s “an England at ease with itself”
    Who gives a fuck about miserable old England
    You are denying it because you don’t understand it. You feel excluded and insecure about it. You envy and fear it. It’s an ineffable sense of being. It’s like obscenity: you can’t define it but you know when you see it.
    Ahahah

AHAHAHHAA

lol, no. Seriously. No
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,599
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I think I am on a bit of a Shakespeare bender at the moment if you hadn't noticed.

Time for The Hollow Crown.

Is that the one with Rebecca Ferguson?
    No, this one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b07bqgjn/the-hollow-crown?seriesId=p00s90hz
    You should watch this (and not just because it’s got Rebecca in it):

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2372220/mediaviewer/rm2803948800/?ft0=name&fv0=nm0272581&ft1=image_type&fv1=still_frame

You shouldn't watch this, because even though it has got Rebecca Ferguson snd Aneurin Barnard in it, it is in common with all adaptations of Philippa Gregory's work unutterably shit.
    I disagree. The White Queen was a very enjoyable romp. It only had a tangential connection to history, but that doesn’t stop it being enjoying. Trying to keep track of all the characters gave my brain a work out.

(Margaret Beaufort is one of those enigmas)
    The characters were badly written.

The dialogue was egregious.

The plotting was pathetic.

The sets were so badly prepared they were full of comical goofs.

The direction was inept.

The acting was indifferent.

You didn't tell me you'd been to the Tory Party conference.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,453
    Foxy said:

Dirty Leeds now 3-0 down. Leicester will be back in the prem in around 15 mins.

I will be delighted to go up with Ipswich. They have done amazingly well to be in the running for back to back promotions on a shoestring. Good to watch too.

WBA go up in the playoffs I reckon. Best side I have seen us play this season.
    This is what I want to hear.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,106
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

Leon said:

@Leon

POSHNESS IS OVER

the UK.

Its Musk

The Habsburgs USED to have that. Now it is merely a quaint surname and a
    knowledge to leave the last waistcoat button, unbuttoned
    Poshness is nothing to do with power.

(And Musk will only get his calls returns so long as he is useful to Putin. That’s a supplicant relationship)

Utter bullshit. And stupid, as well
    I know. I wouldn’t want to be Musk either.
    Are you “traditionally posh”? Public school, good surname, etc?

I’m not, I happily admit. You?
    I’m proudly middle class.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,837

Leon said:

Ratters said:

Leon said:

@Leon

POSHNESS IS OVER

the UK.

Its Musk

Sure, but all that is beside the point of posh. If you're doing so well and your status is so high in the modern world, you shouldn't need that to be 'posh' - you should get on with your thing and just let the posh be irrelevantly posh.
    Yes, I agree. Posh is sui generis.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021
    edited April 26
    Foxy said:

I will be delighted to go up with Ipswich. They have done amazingly well to be in the running for back to back promotions on a shoestring. Good to watch too.

Agree about Ipswich. It's always good to see a team that hasn't benefitted from parachute payments (which should be abolished) go up.

p.s. And now 4-0.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,469

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I think I am on a bit of a Shakespeare bender at the moment if you hadn't noticed.

No, this one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b07bqgjn/the-hollow-crown?seriesId=p00s90hz

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2372220/mediaviewer/rm2803948800/?ft0=name&fv0=nm0272581&ft1=image_type&fv1=still_frame

You shouldn't watch this, because even though it has got Rebecca Ferguson snd Aneurin Barnard in it, it is in common with all adaptations of Philippa Gregory's work unutterably shit.
    I disagree. The White Queen was a very enjoyable romp. It only had a tangential connection to history, but that doesn’t stop it being enjoying. Trying to keep track of all the characters gave my brain a work out.

The direction was inept.

You didn't tell me you'd been to the Tory Party conference.
    I went there just to sing 'Everything's coming up Roses.'
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

Leon said:

@Leon

POSHNESS IS OVER

the UK.

Its Musk

(And Musk will only get his calls returns so long as he is useful to Putin. That’s a supplicant relationship)

What the flying fuck are you on about then? What dismal nonsense. Shape up
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

Leon said:

@Leon

POSHNESS IS OVER

the UK.

Its Musk

We’re all middle class. Our degree of pride, obligation or shame in that fact determines our voting intention.

[betting post]
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,106
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Ratters said:

Leon said:

@Leon

POSHNESS IS OVER

the UK.

Its Musk

What the flying fuck are you on about then? What dismal nonsense. Shape up
    I’m amusing myself educating you.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177
    To declare yourself "posh" is utter infra dig
    In fact a pragmatic self-refutation
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,228
    Foxy said:

Well done Leicester. Yes Ipswich will go up automatically too.

Form is critical for the play offs so Leeds and Southampton no chance. I think it will be Norwich.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,853

Foxy said:

This is what I want to hear.
    4 nil now to QPR.

I am going to miss the Championship. No VAR and lots of close matches, though clearly not this one!.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,167
    To TRUSS or not to TRUSS?

That is the question.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468

To TRUSS or not to TRUSS?

That is the question.

"Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us, shall we not revenge?"
  • Options
    Isabella Eckerle
    @EckerleIsabella

The current strain of #H5N1 is apparently a virus that is not very willing to jump to humans. But we are doing everything to change it: Circulation in mink fur farms since last year, now circulation in US cows. I really fear we are soon watching a pandemic in the unfolding.

Isabella Eckerle
    @EckerleIsabella
    ·
    Apr 25
    There may be uncertainties and reasons that speak against the final jump to humans - still better not to rely on it. The time to stop it would be right now, by widespread testing of cows & human contacts in the affected areas (and beyond), and a standstill.

https://twitter.com/EckerleIsabella/status/1783420708820771205
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,626
    geoffw said:

What do think about people who try and pass themselves off as working class when they demonstrably not?
  • Options

geoffw said:

What do think about people who try and pass themselves off as working class when they demonstrably not?
    They are inverts

• Options
    Taxpayers brace for £100bn money-printing bill – as George Osborne says it’s ‘not my responsibility’
    Ex-chancellor’s decision to transfer QE profits to the Treasury has come back to bite Hunt

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/04/26/taxpayers-qe-100bn-bill-george-osborne-not-responsibility/ (£££)
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,303

geoffw said:

To declare yourself "posh" is utter

People who try to pass themselves off as working class may have some class

Tryandists never will
  • Options
    edited April 26
    ….
  • Options
    edited April 26
    TRUSS
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312
    Foxy said:

The playoffs have a strange affect on teams. for once you've going to have 4 good teams in the playoffs (Norwich, WBA, Soton and Leeds).

Leeds have spectacularly failed in the past (have never won one)
    Southampton have never made the playoffs
    West Brom have more failures than successes (promoted once)
    Norwich have one success and one failure.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,410
    Leicester promoted

Congratulations to @Foxy
  • Options

Leicester promoted

Congratulations to @Foxy

Did he score the winning goal?

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,352

geoffw said:

Who would do that?

Cor blimey guvnor, strike a light!
  • Options

Leicester promoted

Congratulations to @Foxy

also congratulations (through gritted teeth) on the impending promotion of Ipswich.
  • Options
    Interestingly both sides of the posh argument (it’s over v it still matters) need to wrestle with the fact the word itself is only about 100 years old

posh′ness n.
    Word History: "Oh yes, Mater, we had a posh time of it down there." This sentence, found in a 1918 issue of the British satirical magazine Punch, contains one of the first known occurrences of the word posh. A popular theory holds that posh is an acronym of the words Port Out, Starboard Home

• Options

Foxy said:

Form is critical for the play offs so Leeds and Southampton no chance. I think it will be Norwich.
    Ipswich not confirmed yet, but likely to seal it before the final match. With a game in hand they could go up as Champions.

WBA 6.2 for promotion on Bfx. Norwich 7. I have put a tenner on the Baggies
  • Options
    Is there any update on Rayner Terror and her Gallons of Ginger Fear?
  • Options

Grandma Ange?
  • Options

geoffw said:

Who would do that?

The wa'er in Majorca don't taste like wot it oughta!
  • Options

geoffw said:

Who would do that?

Cushty!
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Leicester promoted

Congratulations to @Foxy

Did he score the winning goal?

I did mock the Saints mercilessly with ribald comments from the stand the other night, so did my bit.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,385
    Working class: people who have to get out of bed in a morning to pay their bills

Not working class: people who get other people out of their beds in a morning to work to pay your bills
  • Options
    I think I'm a posh postie
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Ipswich not confirmed yet, but likely to seal it before the final match. With a game in hand they could go up as Champions.

playoffs will be interesting (assuming Ipswich win tomorrow and midweek), I'm glad Ipswich won't be finishing 3td for two reasons, 1. I couldn't cope with another NCFC/ITFC playoff semifinal. 2) I get free beer if they don't finish 3rd
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,379
    SteveS said:

Indeed. Is Elton John posh? Discuss.

Not in this universe.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,048

Isabella Eckerle
    @EckerleIsabella

The current strain of #H5N1 is apparently a virus that is not very willing to jump to humans. But we are doing everything to change it: Circulation in mink fur farms since last year, now circulation in US cows. I really fear we are soon watching a pandemic in the unfolding.

Isabella Eckerle
    @EckerleIsabella
    ·
    Apr 25
    There may be uncertainties and reasons that speak against the final jump to humans - still better not to rely on it. The time to stop it would be right now, by widespread testing of cows & human contacts in the affected areas (and beyond), and a standstill.

What is a standstill - is this a lockdown until we prove that H5N1 can never spread to humans (which it maybe can, so forever).
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

playoffs will be interesting (assuming Ipswich win tomorrow and midweek), I'm glad Ipswich won't be finishing 3td for two reasons, 1. I couldn't cope with another NCFC/ITFC playoff semifinal. 2) I get free beer if they don't finish 3rd
    Both Hull and Coventry are tough places to go, but with 2 games in hand over Leeds should do it.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Isabella Eckerle
    @EckerleIsabella

Isabella Eckerle
    @EckerleIsabella
    ·
    Apr 25

What is a standstill - is this a lockdown until we prove that H5N1 can never spread to humans (which it maybe can, so forever).
    There have been human cases already, but not yet human to human spread I think.

This Flu doesn't have the same asymptomatic spread as covid, but is more nasty. The Elephant seals show what it can do.

https://youtu.be/K1e5gP4DHkU?feature=shared
  • Options
    Foxy said:

spudgfsh said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Both Hull and Coventry are tough places to go, but with 2 games in hand over Leeds should do it.
    5 points from 9 is eminently doable
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,053
    edited April 26
    Is anyone watching ITV News? Rageh Omaar doesn’t seem at all well. I don’t think this is an auto cue problem but he’s finding it difficult to speak properly.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Isabella Eckerle
    @EckerleIsabella

Isabella Eckerle
    @EckerleIsabella
    ·
    Apr 25

I think she means on movement of cattle between farms etc.
  • Options

Grandma Ange?
    My Dad's an only child and Mum has one sister

My only auntie is with her fifth husband, she had five children with her first four husbands

Her only son has done time in prison twice

Two of her daughters have had heroin addictions. One of them is now dead, I spoke at her funeral a couple of years ago

All of her kids have had kids, a few of her grandchildren have been taken into care

Two of my cousins are sensible, and they're brilliant mothers

I'm not a posh enough postie to judge Rayner by her social class and circumstances

But when she goes Imperial, she better expect gallons back

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,451
    edited April 26
    EPG said:

Isabella Eckerle
    @EckerleIsabella

Isabella Eckerle
    @EckerleIsabella
    ·
    Apr 25

In this article it is used to mean to put a stop to cattle movements. This would* limit the spread between herds.

It's a normal response to, say, foot-and-mouth outbreaks in cattle, and arguably saved Christmas from an avian influenza outbreak in Ireland in late 2022.

https://www.science.org/content/article/us-dairy-farm-worker-infected-as-bird-flu-spreads-to-cows-in-five-states

* Well. It might. Won't make any difference if the transmission is mainly from wild birds rather than between herds.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,806

The latest scandal is that Rayner seems to have replaced the gas fire in her alleged home and installed a new kitchen. In this way she deviously reduced the tax bill she may not have to pay anyway.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

Foxy said:

spudgfsh said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leeds aren't guaranteed 3 more points, so 2 points could send Ipswich up.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

The latest scandal is that Rayner seems to have replaced the gas fire in her alleged home and installed a new kitchen. In this way she deviously reduced the tax bill she may not have to pay anyway.
    At the cost of twenty something thousand when she was earning something teen thousand a year

Don't we all spend over 100% of our annual income on a new kitchen?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

spudgfsh said:

Foxy said:

spudgfsh said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leeds aren't guaranteed 3 more points, so 2 points could send Ipswich up.
    true.

interesting fact though. Norwich finish 6th and play against a former manager (club legend) finish 5th and it's a playoff semi against a manager who's a former captain (club legend).
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,181

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

SteveS said:

Good example. Yes he absolutely is

See the French President fawning over him

Elton John is like a royal duke. Now one can argue that celebrity plus artistry plus wealth has meant poshness for a while but I believe this process is accelerating

Look at the Beckhams. They are the new aristocracy. Brooklyn Beckham
    Poshness is being dislocated from accent to some degree.

The children at my daughter’s state primary in SE London: almost all speak RP. Near-universally posher accents than their parents or teachers. Why? I can only surmise it’s something to do with the international mix there. Socially it’s the full spectrum.

The man who came to delivery our grocery shop this afternoon: RP. But in a menial minimum wage job.

Kids at my son’s private secondary school, most of whose parents work in very well paid city jobs? London urban jive talk.
    For me the New Poshness now = Actual Achievement and Experience and/or Celebrity Value (calibrated by social media)

I’d argue Elon Musk is the poshest person in the world. Because poshness means nothing if it doesn’t mean ability to impress by sheer social standing. That is what it IS

I feel posher than 99.999999% of humanity - certainly everyone on PB - even tho I went to state school and lots of PB-ers are, in the old fashioned sense, posh (public school, old names, blah blah). But if I met Elon? Yes I would reflexively genuflect at a man with much higher social standing than my own
    For that level of poshness you must have at least seven types of Balsamic in your kitchen.

Plus, of course, shaved parmesan.
    I don't think really posh people would have seven types of Balsamic in their kitchen. It's too foreign, and smacks of insecurity and status anxiety. They would eat mainly pheasant and spotted dick rather than food requiring even one sort of Balsamic. And they would employ someone to shave their parmesan, if required. You're describing the aspirant cosmopolitan professional upper middle classes, not the genuinely posh.
  • Options

FF43 said:

At the cost of twenty something thousand when she was earning something teen thousand a year

Don't tempt Mrs Foxy!

It isn't unusual to use a loan to fund such things. Not all of us have £20 000 lying in petty cash. Home improvements are quite usual when people exercise the right to buy as I recall, and are a legitimate deduction against capital gains tax.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,037

viewcode said:

No, this one.

I found out the other day that she's Swedish. I thought she was English
    Half and half. Ferguson is her mother’s maiden name & she uses it as her stage name

She is rather fab, loved her in the Mission: Impossible films.
    Hayley Atwell looked more OK than her in the latest instalment.
    I don't know if it's a bad wig or some kind of product but both Hayley Atwell (Doctor Strange/MI) and Tom Hiddleston (Loki) have had really rubbish hair recently. I also think Tom has had a bad facelift or botox or something resulting in his eyebrows being uneven.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,033

FF43 said:

Burn the witch.
    On her newly installed hob.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,853
    Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Oh incidentally, large clusters of giant spiders have been spotted on Mars from satellites in orbit. There is no need to be alarmed. Honest

https://futurism.com/the-byte/orbiter-spots-spiders-surface-mars

(buys canned food and shotguns :))

Don't worry, while they will initially wage effective war, our bird flu will kill them all.

I've read the book and got the LP.
    Da da daaaaaa
    Doododoo doododoo
    Da da daaaaaa
  • Options
    The Ange and Keir defence team on here are quite awesome in their efficiency of attempted rebuttal

It's such a pity that they're working so hard for such dross
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,988

The Ange and Keir defence team on here are quite awesome in their efficiency of attempted rebuttal

This is a matter where the Tory MP prodded to the front to denounce the lady can't say what she has done wrong.

Apart obvs from being an uppity female prole not sufficiently deferential to the lords and masters.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,853
    EPG said:

Isabella Eckerle
    @EckerleIsabella

Isabella Eckerle
    @EckerleIsabella
    ·
    Apr 25

No, it is not a lockdown.
  • Options

Well. If you must be like that.
    Twenty points ahead and 8 months to go.
    Someone's dross.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Our neighbours spent 20K on their new kitchen. They're pensioners and I doubt they earn that much. We thought that seemed a lot, but they were happy about it and I don't think they are actually evil.
  • Options
    edited April 26
    Carnyx said:

This is a matter where the Tory MP prodded to the front to denounce the lady can't say what she has done wrong.

Apart obvs from being an uppity female prole not sufficiently deferential to the lords and masters.
    I reckon she got advice that said "dodge the tax by ..."

So she can't honestly answer the questions, so she looks shifty as fuck

Eta even though all entirely legal
  • Options
    This time next year there'll be a Labour government.
    And we'll all of us have to get used to it.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,988
    edited April 26

Carnyx said:

You do realise that one only has to keep the records for a couple of years after the tax year in question? That's HMRC requirements.

"She can't provide records for ten years ago! Duck her!"

• Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Our neighbours spent 20K on their new kitchen. They're pensioners and I doubt they earn that much. We thought that seemed a lot, but they were happy about it and I don't think they are actually evil.
    Home owning pensioners and minimum wage carers who've just bought their council house are almost indistinguishable in so many ways
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

FF43 said:

Burn the witch.
    On her newly installed hob.
    ANGELA
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Give it a rest.
  • Options
    Taking post, a
    dixiedean said:

It’s going to be quite a change.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Cushty!
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Give it a rest.
    Don't you try to truss me
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 645
    Of course Elton John isn't posh. He worked for his money FFS. A similar thing can probably said for Elon Skum, even if he got a helping hand. He does things like sleep at his office. Posh people don't do shit like that.
  • Options

Grandma Ange?
    My Dad's an only child and Mum has one sister

My only auntie is with her fifth husband, she had five children with her first four husbands

Her only son has done time in prison twice

Two of her daughters have had heroin addictions. One of them is now dead, I spoke at her funeral a couple of years ago

All of her kids have had kids, a few of her grandchildren have been taken into care

Two of my cousins are sensible, and they're brilliant mothers

I'm not a posh enough postie to judge Rayner by her social class and circumstances

But when she goes Imperial, she better expect gallons back

Let's hope she doesn't go postal.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    edited April 26
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

SteveS said:

Elton John is like a royal duke. Now one can argue that celebrity plus artistry plus wealth has meant poshness for a while but I believe this process is accelerating

The children at my daughter’s state primary in SE London: almost all speak RP. Near-universally posher accents than their parents or teachers. Why? I can only surmise it’s something to do with the international mix there. Socially it’s the full spectrum.

The man who came to delivery our grocery shop this afternoon: RP. But in a menial minimum wage job.

Kids at my son’s private secondary school, most of whose parents work in very well paid city jobs? London urban jive talk.
    For me the New Poshness now = Actual Achievement and Experience and/or Celebrity Value (calibrated by social media)

I’d argue Elon Musk is the poshest person in the world. Because poshness means nothing if it doesn’t mean ability to impress by sheer social standing. That is what it IS

I feel posher than 99.999999% of humanity - certainly everyone on PB - even tho I went to state school and lots of PB-ers are, in the old fashioned sense, posh (public school, old names, blah blah). But if I met Elon? Yes I would reflexively genuflect at a man with much higher social standing than my own
    Elon is himself pretty posh even by background regardless of his achievements and celebrity, educated at some top South African private schools including Waterkloof House Preparatory School and Pretoria Boys High School. He also has a degree from US Ivy League University of Pennsylvania
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk
  • Options
    I was having fun with words

I used terror and fear with Rayner, ginger and gallons

Rayner Terror sounds like reign of terror

Ginger Fear rhymes with ginger beer

And Ange made an imperial measurement gag, so gallons are appropriate

Starmtroopers, pull back
  • Options
    Leon said:

Interestingly both sides of the posh argument (it’s over v it still matters) need to wrestle with the fact the word itself is only about 100 years old

posh′ness n.
    Word History: "Oh yes, Mater, we had a posh time of it down there." This sentence, found in a 1918 issue of the British satirical magazine Punch, contains one of the first known occurrences of the word posh. A popular theory holds that posh is an acronym of the words Port Out, Starboard Home

That's a false framing of the argument. The argument is really whether someone who has been very successful, enjoys a great lifestyle, and is very confident socially, is now 'posh' because of all that. Which I would say they're not.

And frankly, your insistence that there's a new posh, and the old posh no longer applies, smacks of coming from an outsider who actually is fascinated by 'old posh' and has a longing that many British people do (and frankly many foreigners do), to be a part of the British upper class, because it still has a glamour and a charm. You are giving it relevance, by insisting that it's irrelevant.
  • Options
    edited April 26
    Has this been discussed? Potential Trump VP pick Kristi Noem gunned down her dog as it wasn't behaving properly and then decided to kill the family goat at the same time, for being too smelly.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13354149/trump-vp-kristi-noem-book-shot-dog-goat.html
  • Options

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

SteveS said:

For that level of poshness you must have at least seven types of Balsamic in your kitchen.

Plus, of course, shaved parmesan.
    I don't think really posh people would have seven types of Balsamic in their kitchen. It's too foreign, and smacks of insecurity and status anxiety. They would eat mainly pheasant and spotted dick rather than food requiring even one sort of Balsamic. And they would employ someone to shave their parmesan, if required. You're describing the aspirant cosmopolitan professional upper middle classes, not the genuinely posh.
    They might have a sole bottle of balsamic lurking in their larder covered in spider webs.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,094
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

No, this one.

The direction was inept.

Apart from those minor details, it was perfectly OK.
    You know, that's exactly what Mrs Lincoln said.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,053
    FF43 said:

Has this been discussed? Potential Trump VP pick Kristi Noem gunned down her dog as it wasn't behaving properly and then decided to kill the family goat at the same time, for being too smelly.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13354149/trump-vp-kristi-noem-book-shot-dog-goat.html

A dog killing psychopath should fit in nicely with Trump , a perfect match .
  • Options

I was having fun with words

I used terror and fear with Rayner, ginger and gallons

Rayner Terror sounds like reign of terror

Ginger Fear rhymes with ginger beer

And Ange made an imperial measurement gag, so gallons are appropriate

Starmtroopers, pull back

Hey Blanche, don't worry. Me and my squad of ultimate Starmer fans will protect you! Check it out! Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a Parliamentary constituency with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phased plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks, leaflets, dodgy bar charts...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,859
    FF43 said:

No way Trump will pick her now, then.
    He fails on both counts.

And if she did shoot him, as a Republican president she'd probably have immunity.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The prior issue is whether "posh" means a lot, and if so, what.

"New Poshness now = Actual Achievement and Experience and/or Celebrity Value (calibrated by social media)"

The second is being a celebrity on Facebook, Twitter, etc. - utterly plebeian shit.
    As for the first, many people have achieved huge amazing stuff who you and I haven't even heard of.
    Your definition seems to hinge on being a celebrity. Most celebrities worked to get where they are. That's not the posh MO.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,094

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Home owning pensioners and minimum wage carers who've just bought their council house are almost indistinguishable in so many ways
    They leach off hard working posties?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,859
    Pure coincidence.

Trump's biggest donor is also ... RFK Jr.'s biggest donor.
    https://twitter.com/AlexandraUlmer/status/1783904744081432665
  • Options
    edited April 26
    HYUFD said:

Finally and more importantly, if Starmer were a restaurant, what restaurant would he be?

“Pizza Express – bit boring, middle of the road, totally vanilla, inoffensive. You know it’s not going to be really awful”; “Wagamama because it’s trying to rebrand”; “Burger King or McDonald’s because everyone can afford to eat there. Labour’s a bit more budget;” “Pizza Hut. Old school, cheap and cheerful. Well, I don’t think Labour are cheerful. But it’s always been there in the background and people don’t really use it that much”; “Wetherspoons. Youngsters and working-class people. But they don’t really advertise do they? People just have an assumption that they might do this or that.”

And the Tory restaurant?

“A pretentious place that has a tasting menu with foams. All front but no action”; “Nando’s. Quick turnaround, you’re in and out of the door. And spicy – they try and dress it up but at the end of the day it’s just chicken”; “Jamie’s Italian. The empire crumbled – that’s how it’s looking isn’t it? They failed because they tried to run it by image, but the actual food was awful”; “The kitchen at Fawlty Towers. The menu is duck à l’orange and meanwhile in the back room all hell’s breaking loose and the chef is drunk”; and:

“Deliveroo. You’ve ordered something and you’re really looking forward to it, but when it turns up it’s late, it’s cold, it’s not what you ordered, but you can’t help feeling sorry for Rishi standing there with his moped in the rain.”
    https://conservativehome.com/2024/04/26/lord-ashcroft-i-dont-know-who-rishi-is-trying-to-be-my-focus-groups-in-godalming-and-taunton/

Ashcroft’s focus groups always sound like great fun. I’d like to be invited to one.

The Deliveroo quote is genius.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,037
    Donkeys said:

...He does things like sleep at his office..

Well he does own the building... :)

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,010
    edited April 26
    HYUFD said:

Finally and more importantly, if Starmer were a restaurant, what restaurant would he be?

“Pizza Express – bit boring, middle of the road, totally vanilla, inoffensive. You know it’s not going to be really awful”; “Wagamama because it’s trying to rebrand”; “Burger King or McDonald’s because everyone can afford to eat there. Labour’s a bit more budget;” “Pizza Hut. Old school, cheap and cheerful. Well, I don’t think Labour are cheerful. But it’s always been there in the background and people don’t really use it that much”; “Wetherspoons. Youngsters and working-class people. But they don’t really advertise do they? People just have an assumption that they might do this or that.”

And the Tory restaurant?

“A pretentious place that has a tasting menu with foams. All front but no action”; “Nando’s. Quick turnaround, you’re in and out of the door. And spicy – they try and dress it up but at the end of the day it’s just chicken”; “Jamie’s Italian. The empire crumbled – that’s how it’s looking isn’t it? They failed because they tried to run it by image, but the actual food was awful”; “The kitchen at Fawlty Towers. The menu is duck à l’orange and meanwhile in the back room all hell’s breaking loose and the chef is drunk”; and:

“Deliveroo. You’ve ordered something and you’re really looking forward to it, but when it turns up it’s late, it’s cold, it’s not what you ordered, but you can’t help feeling sorry for Rishi standing there with his moped in the rain.”
    https://conservativehome.com/2024/04/26/lord-ashcroft-i-dont-know-who-rishi-is-trying-to-be-my-focus-groups-in-godalming-and-taunton/

Sir Keir’s restaurant would surely be vegetarian, but selling fish, with a load of specials on the board that the chef has decided he doesn’t want to cook anymore
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,034
    edited April 26
    dixiedean said:

It's difficult to argue we don't need a change of government after 15 years. The same applies to Scotland.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,859
    Foxy said:

Don't jinx it, Foxy!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,352

Indeed. Private Eye requested a Freedom of Information request regarding GMP Chief Constable Stephen Watson who reopened the Rayner investigation at James Daly's request and it turns out he has spoken at Conservative Party and fringe events. The Eye also implied that Daly is very keen to have Rowley replaced at the Met by Watson.

Chief Constable Watson has apparently tasked 12 detectives with uncovering Rayner wrongdoing. Move along, nothing to see.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,251
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

SteveS said:

Elon is himself pretty posh even by background regardless of his achievements and celebrity, educated at some top South African private schools including Waterkloof House Preparatory School and Pretoria Boys High School. He also has a degree from US Ivy League University of Pennsylvania
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk
    real posh people don't have so many meltdowns on social media they end up buying the entire platform to prove a point. he might have money but he will never have class
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793
    Interesting thread on the Holyrood motions of confidence and possible outcomes:

https://x.com/woodstockjag/status/1783911675994816922?
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Is anyone watching ITV News? Rageh Omaar doesn’t seem at all well. I don’t think this is an auto cue problem but he’s finding it difficult to speak properly.

ITV News viewers raise concerns for Rageh Omaar as presenter seems to stumble with his words and struggle to read bulletins - with broadcaster later pulling programme from ITV+1
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13355941/ITV-News-viewers-raise-concerns-Rageh-Omaar-presenter-stumble-words-struggle-read-bulletins-broadcaster-later-pulling-programme-ITV-1.html
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,034
    Enjoying reading about BlancheLivermore and Leon's travel exploits and the photos.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Enjoying reading about BlancheLivermore and Leon's travel exploits and the photos.

pb's picture settings need tweaking again so that a photo fits on one screen without scrolling.
  • Options
    edited April 27
    There is now an American edition of The Rest is Politics, aka TRIP US, with Anthony Scaramucci who worked for Donald Trump for a short while, and journalist Katty Kay.

Trump's Hush Money Trial, and Campus Protests Against War In Gaza
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk8GYf40vcY
  • Options

There is now an American edition of The Rest is Politics, aka TRIP US, with Anthony Scaramucci who worked for Donald Trump for a short while, and journalist Katty Kay.

Trump's Hush Money Trial, and Campus Protests Against War In Gaza
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk8GYf40vcY

Scaramucci suggests that because both candidates are well-known to the electorate, this will be a GOTV election, and that because Biden will win the popular vote, Trump's path to victory lies through the electoral college, as in 2016 and almost in 2020. This means Trump needs campaign offices in the crucial states but he is instead spending up to 25 per cent of his donations on legal fees.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793
    The Cass Review is the most thorough, scientific, and reasonable document we have so far. Even the UN endorsed it. It reveals the truth: we have absolutely no idea who will benefit from or be harmed by these interventions, and the vitriolic “no debate” team have made it even harder to figure that out. Kids don’t “know themselves.” Like the rest of us, they are engaged in a lifelong process of self-discovery, as long as someone is not making meaning of their differences or distress and foreclosing that possibility of evolution. I was delighted to see both opinion pieces and reported pieces in The New York Times, Washington Post, Boston Globe and others. But in addition to getting more coverage of this document, we have to make it clear to the media that the people they’re platforming as “experts” distort the truth, rather than speak it.

https://www.broadview.news/p/broadview-in-brief-dd9