Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Shall he dwindle, peak, and pine? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,839

Good morning

Scotland politics is in chaos and who can say where this will go but Yousaf time as first minister must be over

On Rwanda seems the bill has resulted in unexpected consequences with Ireland experiencing asylum seekers in the UK travelling to Northern Ireland and crossing into Ireland and of course the EU

This is the so called deterrent effect actually happening and a real issue for Irish politicians and others

https://news.sky.com/story/rwanda-bill-causing-migrants-to-opt-for-ireland-deputy-pm-says-13123078

Asylum seekers were already going to Ireland. A couple of Irish politicians trying to cast blame on the UK is not evidence that the numbers are a result of the Rwanda policy. Let’s see a proper data analysis.
    Just as our politicians blame the French, the Irish blame us.

Surely the vast majority of asylum seekers in Ireland have always come via Britain.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,438
    Leon said:

Jeepers

JUST IN - King Charles’ funeral plans reportedly being updated regularly after cancer diagnosis: ‘He is really very unwell’ - NY Post

Three Monarchs and Four Prime Ministers - The story of the disastrous Get Brexit Done Parliament of 2019-2025.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,608
    Heathener said:

p.s. by the way, when I glance on here these days I notice @TSE that you very often use twitter to inform your thread headers. I think this is a pity and a departure from Mike’s approach. I can understand why, since it must be time consuming and difficult to think up threads, especially witty ones.

But some of us have left twitter, X, for a good reason.

There’s nothing wrong with very short and sweet thread headers.

Meant kindly and gently xx

This is meant kindly and gently as well.

But Mike regularly used Tweet only threads and he regularly encouraged me to do the same.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,207

nico679 said:

The biggest surprise over the last year has been how well the pro independence polling has held up inspite of all the SNP drama.

There appears to be a very deep-seated "if anything is wrong, its the fault of the union" mentality. Which sustains regardless of evidence or sanity.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Jeepers

JUST IN - King Charles’ funeral plans reportedly being updated regularly after cancer diagnosis: ‘He is really very unwell’ - NY Post

A couple of weeks ago I heard (and Popbitch confirmed) that all the major papers/broadcasters in the UK were updating their obituaries for King Charles III.

Even as a cold hearted republican this news made me sad, doubly so for Prince William who must be going every circle of hell with his father and wife both battling cancer.
  • Options

Heathener said:

p.s. by the way, when I glance on here these days I notice @TSE that you very often use twitter to inform your thread headers. I think this is a pity and a departure from Mike’s approach. I can understand why, since it must be time consuming and difficult to think up threads, especially witty ones.

But Mike regularly used Tweet only threads and he regularly encouraged me to do the same.
    Despite all its toxicity and mismanagement, Twitter remains the best source of breaking news. Just need to read critically and check sources.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,039
    Eabhal said:

=
    And I don't think going for Forbes is the answer for the SNP

Going for a reactionary god-botherer would be the final nail in the coffin. Also the forehead. It's like a cinema screen.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Despite all its toxicity and mismanagement, Twitter remains the best source of breaking news. Just need to read critically and check sources.
    Yup, you just have to follow the right accounts.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,071

Leon said:

Jeepers

A couple of weeks ago I heard (and Popbitch confirmed) that all the major papers/broadcasters in the UK were updating their obituaries for King Charles III.

Even as a cold hearted republican this news made me sad, doubly so for Prince William who must be going every circle of hell with his father and wife both battling cancer.
    Is this really news? I thought this was standard procedure for a monarch, or indeed any other prominent person over 75.

And good morning one and all!
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,097
    TimS said:

I suspect Chris Philp did actually know Congo and Rwanda are separate countries. His question was rhetorical.

The more arresting thing was he clearly had no idea of the dynamics of the long running conflict in Eastern DRC and the role of Rwandan troops and paramilitaries there. That was the whole point of the man’s question. Yet Philps along with his parliamentary party has just voted to make it law that Rwanda is safe.

The whole thing of passing a law on a factual matter still blows my mind. Think of the opportunities:

- The cleanliness of seawater bill
    - The integrity of the Fujitsu Horizon system bill
    - The veracity of seven bins bill
    - The London definitely is a crime ridden hellhole with no go areas and centre of the metropolitan elite including the Daily Star bill

“Safe” is a relative criteria not an absolute one.

Nowhere is “safe”. I could be hit by a bus in London. I could catch HIV from a vampire facial (WTF?) in LA.

Parliament has simply determined that - for the purposes of their asylum policy - that Rwanda is “safe enough”. That’s because the courts decided that it wasn’t “safe” according to the court’s criteria.

It’s easy to mock, but what they determined was entirely within their remit (not opining on the accuracy of their judgement)

• Options

Leon said:

Jeepers

Is this really news? I thought this was standard procedure for a monarch, or indeed any other prominent person over 75.

This is more than the usual standard procedure.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,562
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Do people understand how good written/literary AI is now? I just asked Claude 3 Opus this question. Its a new conversation so its memory starts entirely blank

“Good morning Claude I hope you’re good. I’m a writer called Leon and I’m doing a travel piece in Brittany. Right now I’m off to the Crozon peninsula. What should I do there?”

2 seconds later:

“Good morning Leon! The Crozon peninsula in Brittany is a beautiful area with plenty of things to see and do. Here are some suggestions for your travel piece:

Visit the stunning beaches: The peninsula is known for its beautiful beaches, such as Morgat, Île Vierge, and La Palue. These offer great opportunities for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports.

Explore the cliffs and coves: The rugged coastline is dotted with impressive cliffs and hidden coves. Some notable spots include Cap de la Chèvre, Pointe de Dinan, and Pointe de Penhir.

Hike the coastal paths: The GR34 hiking trail, also known as the "Sentier des Douaniers," runs along the coast and offers breathtaking views of the sea and the surrounding landscapes.

Discover the medieval town of Camaret-sur-Mer: This charming port town features a 17th-century fortified tower, Vauban's Tower, which is a UNESCO World Heritage site. The town also has a lovely harbor and several good restaurants.

Visit the Crozon Prehistoric Museum: This museum showcases the region's rich archaeological heritage, with exhibits on prehistoric tools, jewelry, and megalithic monuments.

Explore the Crozon Caves: The peninsula is home to several impressive sea caves, such as the Grotte de l'Autel and the Grotte du Korriganm, which can be visited by boat.

Sample the local cuisine: Brittany is famous for its seafood, so be sure to try some local specialties like oysters, mussels, and the famous "kouign amann" pastry.

These are just a few ideas to get you started. The Crozon peninsula has a lot to offer, and you're sure to find plenty of inspiration for your travel piece!”

I mean, wow. That’s crisp clever and creditably well informed. That’s pro guide book level writing - bespoke for you — produced to order in 2 seconds.

Like I said. It's Travel hacks that need to worry.
    Ahaha. Et voila

However they won’t. For realz. We will weirdly endure because readers will demand the authentic - a robot can’t say “I had this cocktail”. But they will take every job beneath the actual writer on the ground: guidebooks, brochures, travel ad copy, a lot
    of editing. An ecosystem will be hammered

This will happen to every cognitive job. Everything. Every legal office, accountants, bank, academe, design, many of the arts, admin, managers, advertising, all the middle class jobs - the proles will have the last laugh

As for medicine you’re probably like me. A hands on doctor with patient skills will be amongst the last to go. A ton of the staff that back you up will disappear

And now I shall cease my AI prattle because @TSE dislikes it. Fair enough. Also it’s time for breakfast which has significantly improved in French hotels - they now offer German style breakfast as well: cold cuts and cheeses, which I like. And the coffee is better

A bientot
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,097
    Leon said:

Jeepers

They were updated when he became King. They will be regularly reviewed because that’s what they do.

Post hoc propter hoc
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,114

If the parties at Holyrood can't form a government or pass legislation is there provision for direct rule from London? It seems to work quite well in Northern Ireland on an intermittent basis.

HALFWIT
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403

TimS said:

I suspect Chris Philp did actually know Congo and Rwanda are separate countries. His question was rhetorical.

The more arresting thing was he clearly had no idea of the dynamics of the long running conflict in Eastern DRC and the role of Rwandan troops and paramilitaries there. That was the whole point of the man’s question. Yet Philps along with his parliamentary party has just voted to make it law that Rwanda is safe.

The whole thing of passing a law on a factual matter still blows my mind. Think of the opportunities:

- The London definitely is a crime ridden hellhole with no go areas and centre of the metropolitan elite including the Daily Star bill

Nowhere is “safe”. I could be hit by a bus in London. I could catch HIV from a vampire facial (WTF?) in LA.

Parliament has simply determined that - for the purposes of their asylum policy - that Rwanda is “safe enough”. That’s because the courts decided that it wasn’t “safe” according to the court’s criteria.

It’s easy to mock, but what they determined was entirely within their remit (not opining on the accuracy of their judgement)

The analysis of the courts was evidence based, relying on a series of official documents by relevant parties including the United Nations using the most up to date information. The analysis of the Commons, in comparison, wasn't. And even if you thought it was it would only be valid for a point in time not until the Act is repealed.

It is a dreadful and absurd precedent and the government deserves all the mockery it is going to receive for it.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Do people understand how good written/literary AI is now? I just asked Claude 3 Opus this question. Its a new conversation so its memory starts entirely blank

“Good morning Claude I hope you’re good. I’m a writer called Leon and I’m doing a travel piece in Brittany. Right now I’m off to the Crozon peninsula. What should I do there?”

2 seconds later:

“Good morning Leon! The Crozon peninsula in Brittany is a beautiful area with plenty of things to see and do. Here are some suggestions for your travel piece:

Visit the stunning beaches: The peninsula is known for its beautiful beaches, such as Morgat, Île Vierge, and La Palue. These offer great opportunities for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports.

Explore the cliffs and coves: The rugged coastline is dotted with impressive cliffs and hidden coves. Some notable spots include Cap de la Chèvre, Pointe de Dinan, and Pointe de Penhir.

Hike the coastal paths: The GR34 hiking trail, also known as the "Sentier des Douaniers," runs along the coast and offers breathtaking views of the sea and the surrounding landscapes.

Discover the medieval town of Camaret-sur-Mer: This charming port town features a 17th-century fortified tower, Vauban's Tower, which is a UNESCO World Heritage site. The town also has a lovely harbor and several good restaurants.

Visit the Crozon Prehistoric Museum: This museum showcases the region's rich archaeological heritage, with exhibits on prehistoric tools, jewelry, and megalithic monuments.

Explore the Crozon Caves: The peninsula is home to several impressive sea caves, such as the Grotte de l'Autel and the Grotte du Korriganm, which can be visited by boat.

Sample the local cuisine: Brittany is famous for its seafood, so be sure to try some local specialties like oysters, mussels, and the famous "kouign amann" pastry.

These are just a few ideas to get you started. The Crozon peninsula has a lot to offer, and you're sure to find plenty of inspiration for your travel piece!”

I mean, wow. That’s crisp clever and creditably well informed. That’s pro guide book level writing - bespoke for you — produced to order in 2 seconds.

Ahaha. Et voila

However they won’t. For realz. We will weirdly endure because readers will demand the authentic - a robot can’t say “I had this cocktail”. But they will take every job beneath the actual writer on the ground: guidebooks, brochures, travel ad copy, a lot

This will happen to every cognitive job. Everything. Every legal office, accountants, bank, academe, design, many of the arts, admin, managers, advertising, all the middle class jobs - the proles will have the last laugh

As for medicine you’re probably like me. A hands on doctor with patient skills will be amongst the last to go. A ton of the staff that back you up will disappear

And now I shall cease my AI prattle because @TSE dislikes it. Fair enough. Also it’s time for breakfast which has significantly improved in French hotels - they now offer German style breakfast as well: cold cuts and cheeses, which I like. And the coffee is better

A bientot
    German style breakfasts are almost as disappointing as French ones. Truly, I have never had a great breakfast outside the English-speaking world.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978

TimS said:

Yes, Parliament can legislate to instruct the courts to find that black is white. We should all be very concerned when it does, though. We absolutely should not trust our human rights to an institution that chooses to go down this path.

• Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,843

TimS said:

The Act, AIUI, says Rwanda is safe in perpetuity. The Court assesses the facts and makes a decision. One of these is clearly nonsensical.
  • Options
    edited April 26

Leon said:

Jeepers

It is properly sad and, as you say, poor Prince William

And those kids. They lost great grandma and grandpa, who seemed important. Suddenly Grandpa is also mortal and uncle Harry is estranged and now mum has cancer. That’s bloody tough on small kids, a world of fear and unreliability

I don’t mean this in a schmaltzy way, but it would be great if Harry and Will could reconcile. Harry is now actually needed
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,362

Leon said:

Jeepers

Its 25 years since I (briefly) worked in broadcasting. But even then both BBC Manchester and EMAP Radio had regularly updated obit packages ready to roll at a moment's notice. This is nothing new.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,034
    Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Eabhal said:

=

Going for a reactionary god-botherer would be the final nail in the coffin. Also the forehead. It's like a cinema screen.
    I think Forbes is more nuanced than that.

I think the way Farron was harassed out of his leadership reflects poorly on our country. The same scrutiny of belief is not applied to non-Christian politicians.

The essence of Liberalism is that we have private views and beliefs but do not force them on others. I think both Farron and Forbes take this approach. Being an Evangelical Christian FM is no more problem than being a Muslim or Hindu one.
    That’s fair enough but Forbes can’t run away from her public remarks . She may well say this is a personal matter and won’t effect how she governs but some people will feel judged by her comments .
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Ok, so let's ask this question:

If he loses, what then?

Presumably the SNP leave him in place while electing a new leader, which would I imagine have to be one of Robertson or Forbes.

They have to get that done in 28 days and try to put forward their new leader as a candidate.

But - it is hard to imagine either will be more acceptable to the Greens than Yousaf. Robertson is also tainted by association with Sturgeon and Forbes' social views alienate much of her own party.

So is there any realistic chance of one of them getting the 65 votes needed?

They could of course try to install Keith Brown, Depute Leader, as FM and wait a few months for everything to cool down. But, leaving aside whether he'd have the votes either, that's only really delaying the issue.

This looks a nasty mess.

Looking from afar, a fine mess (in one sense) for sure.

However, re: numbers, don't ALL of the parties in & of (if not always for) Scotland have some history of defections and defectors, quasi en-mass or semi-individual (also visa-versa)?

Meaning that it's possible, if less-than-inevitable, for current govt. to win over one or more (current) opposition MSPs. In theory anyway.

Factor to consider: degree that ALL parties are ready AND willing to hold a Scottish snap election?

Reckon that SNP and Greens are NOT over-eager, risking significant seat loses even (or because of?) the (relative) proportionality of the electoral system. Whereas Scottish Labour and Conservatives might well welcome opportunity to not only gain seats at Holyrood, but to also to use such gains as arguments in their favor all across Great Britain in the upcoming Westminster GE.

Anyway you slice it, very interesting for punters and/or psephologists!
    Opinion here seems to be that Scottish Tories are not keen, either.

But bear in mind the voting system is bent like Westminster, only in the opposite direction - it has a reverse effect from FPTP in terms of seats per vote.
    There are plainly risks for the Tories which are still in an unexpectedly favourable situation in Holyrood. But there are also upsides. A much weakened SNP in disarray would be much less of a threat to their Westminster seats, indeed a few SNP seats might even come into play.

I also hesitate to keep repeating this but the financial situation of the SNP is also a consideration. Their priority is likely to be Holyrood. It might mean no campaign to talk of for Westminster if their finances were drained by a Scottish election.
    Hard to see him not resigning and just having new FM, surely they will not let the idiot gamble that anyone outside SNP is stupid enough to want to keep him.
  • Options

Leon said:

Jeepers

William does not give the impression of being even remotely ready to be King. He needs his Dad to hold on for a few more years.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,838

TimS said:

No - Parliament has declared that Rwanda is safe, and that cannot be challenged, irrespective of any future events, in perpetuity.

They refused a simple, non wrecking amendment which would have allowed for review of that (by the minister) without requiring - as is the case now - that the legislation be repealed before that 'fact' can be changed.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,913

TimS said:

It is within their remit. It is also lowering the bar considerably.
  • Options

Leon said:

Jeepers

Its 25 years since I (briefly) worked in broadcasting. But even then both BBC Manchester and EMAP Radio had regularly updated obit packages ready to roll at a moment's notice. This is nothing new.
    This is different. The updates reference the cancer killing him.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Yousafs only way to survive is to accept the list of demands from Salmond by way of Ash Regan.

We know people like to cling to power but really this surely would be too much to stomach and would allow the opposition parties to have a field day .

He really messed up today and has no one to blame but himself .

So the stage is set for Kate Forbes who ironically might cause more problems for the opposition , that’s if she can overcome her position on certain social issues .

I’m wondering whether the Tories are willing to accept this as an SNP recovery would dent Labour chances more than their own.

Worst case is she would be much more amenable to Ash Regan and therefore it would be a damp squib and Tories looking like fools.
    Useless is so stupid and full of himself that he is likely to believe he can survive.
  • Options
    edited April 26
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot
    German style breakfasts are almost as disappointing as French ones. Truly, I have never had a great breakfast outside the English-speaking world.
    Yes on the anglophone world

America and Australia both do magnificently inventive breakfasts - they have truly turned it into an artform. It’s not just smashed avo - they do amazing things with fish and eggs and chives and asparagus and chorizo and salsa

But a good German breakfast is excellent. The bread has to be top notch. Put cracked pepper and olive oil on the cheese and meats. Consume with the ripped bread unbuttered. Wash it down with scrumptious Breton apple juice and strong cafe au lait

That, mon ami, is a noble start to the day
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,491
    edited April 26
    Leon said:

2 seconds later:

What happened to ‘you were only going to mention it if someone else did’ ?

By the way, it’s just a glorified search engine; you don’t need to talk to it.
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

OnboardG1 said:

I know some here strongly favour Scottish Independence - I respect your view but hope you now see how the SNP has blown it for the foreseeable future.

The SNP had one job - to grow support for Independence by showing voters they could do better than Westminster. A more attractive economy? Nope. Better education? Nope. Better taxation rates? Nope. Better laws for a better Scotland? Nope. They had all that Barnett formula subsidy per head but still blew it.

Yes. They could have built a 60-70% strong support for Independence on the back of making a success of Holyrood. Indeed, this appears to be the Sinn Fein strategy now that they have the role of First Minister at Stormont.

But Sturgeon was all political game-playing and wedge-seeking. In the tenth year after the referendum it looks a lot like a wasted decade.
    What gets me that they proved that you can raise marginal tax rates and successfully boil the frog. People haven't rushed south and although there has been a small decrease in internal migration amongst the highest earners the SNP have gotten away with pulling an extra £400m out of the pockets of the burghers without them squeaking. It's what every left wing party loves to see. And they've done fuck all with it apart from throwing it at broken ferries.
    Geography helps in that respect. Tax arbitrage exerts a force. Geographical friction acts as a brake.

The Southern uplands and the fact the borders are largely bereft of major settlements means if you’re living and working in Edinburgh and want to cut your tax bill you can’t just hop a few miles south on a fast road or the train and live in an English suburb.

Contrast with the various Swiss and Benelux borders where commuter arbitrage is easy.
    For the first six months of my employment in Edinburgh in 1961 I took the train from Berwick to Edinburgh and return every day

Even in those days it was a good service
    It’s 50 minutes to an hour, and Berwick’s basically escape to the country land. So if you want to move to a nice little coastal town and work from home or have a long commute it’s fine, but that’s only going to appeal to a small segment of those rich enough to worry about the tax differences.

By contrast you can literally live in the suburbs of Basel, Geneva, Lugano / Milan, Maastricht etc etc and get on a tram or bus or cycle to a different country. You can pay New Jersey tax and go one stop on the subway into Manhattan, or work in Copenhagen and live across the Oresund bridge in Sweden.

Options from Glasgow are even harder, to the point of being non-viable. So you either move family and job wholesale or stay put.
    Eh what bollox, from Glasgow you can be in the highlands in less than 30 minutes, you can be on Ayrshire coast in under an hour.
  • Options
    While we're experiencing unseasonably cold weather.

Wave of exceptionally hot weather scorches south and south-east Asia
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/26/asia-heatwaves-philippines-bangladesh-india
  • Options

Leon said:

Jeepers

William does not give the impression of being even remotely ready to be King. He needs his Dad to hold on for a few more years.

Yes he does. And his wife is seriously ill

However I fear these rumours are not groundless
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

I know some here strongly favour Scottish Independence - I respect your view but hope you now see how the SNP has blown it for the foreseeable future.

The SNP had one job - to grow support for Independence by showing voters they could do better than Westminster. A more attractive economy? Nope. Better education? Nope. Better taxation rates? Nope. Better laws for a better Scotland? Nope. They had all that Barnett formula subsidy per head but still blew it.

Yes. They could have built a 60-70% strong support for Independence on the back of making a success of Holyrood. Indeed, this appears to be the Sinn Fein strategy now that they have the role of First Minister at Stormont.

But Sturgeon was all political game-playing and wedge-seeking. In the tenth year after the referendum it looks a lot like a wasted decade.
    Sturgeon didn't make Brexit a wedge issue when she should have. Cosying up to the People's Vote & #FBPE mob when she could have quite simply said though I disagree with it, England has made its choice and Scotland has made a different one. It would have had the simple virtue of being stone cold true.
    I found that really puzzling. It was just referred to like a grudge. And that felt like a clumsy mistake by her when she was normally quite astute (time will tell re.investigations) about political touchstones like that. A very clear, sad, disappointed, wipes tear from eye "We've drifted apart" would have been a lot more effective.
    As ever she only considered herself, nasty narcissist.
  • Options

Leon said:

Jeepers

Three Monarchs and Four Prime Ministers - The story of the disastrous Get Brexit Done Parliament of 2019-2025.
    How is Truss managing to kill this one off, then?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

While we're experiencing unseasonably cold weather.

Wave of exceptionally hot weather scorches south and south-east Asia
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/26/asia-heatwaves-philippines-bangladesh-india

Warm weather is coming by and after the weekend, especially for southern Europe but with improvements also for the UK
  • Options

Leon said:

Jeepers

Was Elizabeth ready in 1952? Or George VI in 1936? Or Victoria in 1837? Some of our greatest Monarchs were not remotely ready for Accession.

Monarchy is a lottery. We get the next in line, suitable or not.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot

There will be some readers that demand the authentic, many others will not care. They'll just want to know where to go. So, as with most things there'll be a high end niche for travel writers. For the rest, if there is a job at all it will be desk bound, turning the AI stuff you found in three seconds into 800 word articles with tourism board photos to illustrate. Until AI can do that as well.

A long time ago I worked for Hello magazine in Madrid. It was typeset and printed there in the late 1980s by Hola - the Spanish company that owned it - before being trucked up for sale in the UK. My job was to pass the pages and to fill in certain gaps. Among these were the TV reviews. Of course, we were in Spain so did not see the UK TV. We just made it all up. No-one noticed or, if they did, no-one cared! Welcome to AI journalism.

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Jeepers

It’s your coming across a rumour that you do think is groundless, that would be news.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,403
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Ok, so let's ask this question:

If he loses, what then?

Presumably the SNP leave him in place while electing a new leader, which would I imagine have to be one of Robertson or Forbes.

They have to get that done in 28 days and try to put forward their new leader as a candidate.

But - it is hard to imagine either will be more acceptable to the Greens than Yousaf. Robertson is also tainted by association with Sturgeon and Forbes' social views alienate much of her own party.

So is there any realistic chance of one of them getting the 65 votes needed?

They could of course try to install Keith Brown, Depute Leader, as FM and wait a few months for everything to cool down. But, leaving aside whether he'd have the votes either, that's only really delaying the issue.

This looks a nasty mess.

Looking from afar, a fine mess (in one sense) for sure.

However, re: numbers, don't ALL of the parties in & of (if not always for) Scotland have some history of defections and defectors, quasi en-mass or semi-individual (also visa-versa)?

Meaning that it's possible, if less-than-inevitable, for current govt. to win over one or more (current) opposition MSPs. In theory anyway.

Factor to consider: degree that ALL parties are ready AND willing to hold a Scottish snap election?

Reckon that SNP and Greens are NOT over-eager, risking significant seat loses even (or because of?) the (relative) proportionality of the electoral system. Whereas Scottish Labour and Conservatives might well welcome opportunity to not only gain seats at Holyrood, but to also to use such gains as arguments in their favor all across Great Britain in the upcoming Westminster GE.

Anyway you slice it, very interesting for punters and/or psephologists!
    Opinion here seems to be that Scottish Tories are not keen, either.

But bear in mind the voting system is bent like Westminster, only in the opposite direction - it has a reverse effect from FPTP in terms of seats per vote.
    There are plainly risks for the Tories which are still in an unexpectedly favourable situation in Holyrood. But there are also upsides. A much weakened SNP in disarray would be much less of a threat to their Westminster seats, indeed a few SNP seats might even come into play.

I also hesitate to keep repeating this but the financial situation of the SNP is also a consideration. Their priority is likely to be Holyrood. It might mean no campaign to talk of for Westminster if their finances were drained by a Scottish election.
    Hard to see him not resigning and just having new FM, surely they will not let the idiot gamble that anyone outside SNP is stupid enough to want to keep him.
    What problem does replacing Yousaf solve? Presumably his replacement will not be quite as stupid or feckless, he has really lowered the bar to the ground on that one, but any new FM will still have a minority government vulnerable in every vote. The challenge to Yousaf has been handling the Greens who have been the tail wagging the dog throughout his ministry and which has become ever more unpopular in the SNP itself.

Those who have been unhappy now see why this has been tolerated through one scandal and incompetence after another. The alternatives may be worse.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853
    Scott_xP said:

nico679 said:

The biggest surprise over the last year has been how well the pro independence polling has held up inspite of all the SNP drama.

There appears to be a very deep-seated "if anything is wrong, its the fault of the union" mentality. Which sustains regardless of evidence or sanity.
    When the Tories are in at Westminster, and these Tories especially, it is easy to sustain. There is a barely acknowledged assumption amongst SNP supporters, particularly in old Labour heartlands, that a post iindependence Scotland would alternate between two centre-left parties.

In fact, pre 2014, I did have a bet with a friend, contingent on an independence vote, that the Scottish nation would be run by a Tory party successor government within 20 years, and I still think in principle that is true. Of course, it could be rendered technically incorrect by the SNP tacking back to the centre-right post iindependence, but the idea holds.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot
    They do outstanding breakfasts in Norway.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,789
    malcolmg said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

OnboardG1 said:

What gets me that they proved that you can raise marginal tax rates and successfully boil the frog. People haven't rushed south and although there has been a small decrease in internal migration amongst the highest earners the SNP have gotten away with pulling an extra £400m out of the pockets of the burghers without them squeaking. It's what every left wing party loves to see. And they've done fuck all with it apart from throwing it at broken ferries.
    Geography helps in that respect. Tax arbitrage exerts a force. Geographical friction acts as a brake.

The Southern uplands and the fact the borders are largely bereft of major settlements means if you’re living and working in Edinburgh and want to cut your tax bill you can’t just hop a few miles south on a fast road or the train and live in an English suburb.

Contrast with the various Swiss and Benelux borders where commuter arbitrage is easy.
    For the first six months of my employment in Edinburgh in 1961 I took the train from Berwick to Edinburgh and return every day

It’s 50 minutes to an hour, and Berwick’s basically escape to the country land. So if you want to move to a nice little coastal town and work from home or have a long commute it’s fine, but that’s only going to appeal to a small segment of those rich enough to worry about the tax differences.

By contrast you can literally live in the suburbs of Basel, Geneva, Lugano / Milan, Maastricht etc etc and get on a tram or bus or cycle to a different country. You can pay New Jersey tax and go one stop on the subway into Manhattan, or work in Copenhagen and live across the Oresund bridge in Sweden.

Options from Glasgow are even harder, to the point of being non-viable. So you either move family and job wholesale or stay put.
    Eh what bollox, from Glasgow you can be in the highlands in less than 30 minutes, you can be on Ayrshire coast in under an hour.
    The thread is about commuting from lower tax England
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Until desire for Independence itself notably drops off, which I don't think it has, I won't be celebrating.
    Not going to happen so you can be a miserable arsehole forever.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Jeepers

Was Elizabeth ready in 1952? Or George VI in 1936? Or Victoria in 1837? Some of our greatest Monarchs were not remotely ready for Accession.

The monarchy was far less visible in 1952, let alone 1936 and 1837. And the newcomers had Churchill, Baldwin and Lord Melbourne to guide them. But, you are right, it is a total lottery. Now that it can't hide away, that matters a lot more than it did.

• Options
    Could the Greens back Humza Yousaf after all? Lorna Slater on the BBC’s Good Morning Scotland: “We could have that conversation again and, you know, nobody has reached out to us in any way to try and change our minds so we’ll have to see how events develop.”

https://x.com/BBCJamesCook/status/1783756662014120407
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,820
    malcolmg said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

OnboardG1 said:

The discussion was about being able to commute from “low tax” England to “high tax” Scotland, and the fact there’s not been an exodus.

Last time I checked the highlands aren’t yet a special economic zone with low personal taxes.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,326
    Not long til this drops. I have high hopes for the new season of Dr Who.

Gatwa is not only very dapper he is incredibly charismatic. A major step up from Jodie Whittaker.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/tv/ncuti-gatwa-says-new-doctor-who-series-explores-subcultures-in-british-fashion/ar-AA1nFC2y?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=623d6cad76404156d6ce74f8467b9a9d&ei=27
  • Options
    MJW said:

nico679 said:

Yousafs only way to survive is to accept the list of demands from Salmond by way of Ash Regan.

We know people like to cling to power but really this surely would be too much to stomach and would allow the opposition parties to have a field day .

He really messed up today and has no one to blame but himself .

So the stage is set for Kate Forbes who ironically might cause more problems for the opposition , that’s if she can overcome her position on certain social issues .

I’m wondering whether the Tories are willing to accept this as an SNP recovery would dent Labour chances more than their own.

Forbes likely to become trickier longer term. I doubt she can completely change the SNP's positioning and case for independence quickly or cleanly enough for things to go well for them at any soon to be held elections. Labour in particular would be quite gleeful to see the tanks removed from their lawn after Salmond and Sturgeon parked them there for so long.
    Westminster is irrelevant as the English will never give up their last colony willingly, she could start really sorting out for independence and easily get landslide in 2026 at Holyrood where it really counts.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,039

Leon said:

Jeepers

What the fuck does he have to be ready for? Getting driven to the races in a Bentley or grinning inanely while foreign childern caper in the dust in front of him?

He's got a staff of a hundred arse-lickers. They'll pump him full of SSRIs, wheel him out and he'll be fine. He's probably going to get to marry his mistress, who is already being soft-launched on us, so swings and roundabouts, etc.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot

Try a Spanish parador. Absolutely sensational.

• Options
    Ukraine war briefing: Kyiv pulls back Abrams tanks due to drone raids and losses, says US

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/26/ukraine-war-briefing-kyiv-pulls-back-abrams-tanks-due-to-drone-raids-and-losses-says-us
    ...Ukrainians have not adopted tactics that could have made the tanks more effective, one of the US defence officials said, such as in combined-arms warfare, training for which was provided by the US in Germany...

"Combined arms warfare" as practised by NATO isn't possible without the full range NATO equipment, particularly when you've been starved of munitions for several months.

There's also a failure to appreciate how drones have changed the terms of warfare. The proliferation of anti personnel drones makes infantry unprecedentedly vulnerable.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,956
    edited April 26
    Eabhal said:

Hearing there's ANOTHER emergency Cabinet meeting tomorrow morning. Doesn't necessarily precipitate an event, but an event isn't far off.

https://x.com/WingsScotland/status/1783623932869828616

You wait YEARS for an emergency Cabinet meeting to come along, and then there's a bunch of them all at once...

I'm old enough to remember when a sex scandal bringing down a Government wasn't about gender.
    What's interesting about this is there are so many issues floating about - Trans, climate change targets, Branchform.

I know that PB absolutely loves the idea that Trans is the big issue here, but I think the climate change reversal is far more significant. And I don't think going for Forbes is the answer for the SNP - this is an exceptionally broad coalition, and there is far more scope to lose further votes on the left than on the right imo. The SNP are still polling reasonably well despite everything.
    Quite. So much of PB sees the cosmos through trans-tinted spectacles, it's a miracle that they don't get aerated about naming craters on the backside of the moon. At the very same time it jets all over the world. And then wonders why the weather has suddenly become shite and can't see that Brexiting just now is not exactly the best time to mitigate problems in the UK food supply.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot
    On my various travels I have had delicious breakfasts in many non-English speaking counties. I developed a taste for Roti Chennai or Dim Sum in Malaysia, Shan style noodles in Myanmar.
  • Options

Leon said:

Jeepers

It is. I went to the BBC for a visit in the eighties. Around the time The Time Meddler and War Machines were recovered from Nigeria. Got a special showing of Episode 4 of The War Machines too. Ace.

They said back then this is what they did as standard.

They regularly update these so they can roll them out when someone departs.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,820
    IanB2 said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot
    Only the English speaking world does full cooked meals for breakfast. But I do like a bit of sliced cheese on my trips to continental hotels. Ideally served by one of those helical cheese wire contraptions where a turn of the handle shaves off a slice on to your plate.

Swiss breakfasts pretty good for tasty cheese-wire pared cheeses.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Jeepers

How is Truss managing to kill this one off, then?
    Ask Anabobz. He seems a little obsessed with Truss, or is it TRUSS , she is almost as much an obsession as cash.
  • Options
    sarissa said:

Paradoxically, the SNP would have fared better to govern as a minority like the first Salmond administration. Lots of negotiation, playing one opposition party against the others and (re)building a reputation for good governance.
    You actually think being governed by Westminster is better. Either blind or terminally stupid. Our money taken and pissed up Westminster follies and peanuts sent back to us. Crap but not as crap as Westminster for certain.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,328
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot
    On my various travels I have had delicious breakfasts in many non-English speaking counties. I developed a taste for Roti Chennai or Dim Sum in Malaysia, Shan style noodles in Myanmar.
    Idli with sambhar and chutney has got to be one of the best breakfasts in the world
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146
    Taz said:

Gatwa is not only very dapper he is incredibly charismatic. A major step up from Jodie Whittaker.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/tv/ncuti-gatwa-says-new-doctor-who-series-explores-subcultures-in-british-fashion/ar-AA1nFC2y?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=623d6cad76404156d6ce74f8467b9a9d&ei=27

The acid test will be if he can run away properly...
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,438

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Jeepers

The monarchy was far less visible in 1952, let alone 1936 and 1837. And the newcomers had Churchill, Baldwin and Lord Melbourne to guide them. But, you are right, it is a total lottery. Now that it can't hide away, that matters a lot more than it did.
    If William, for whatever reason, cannot cope as Monarch, to the extent that the survival of the institution is threatened, then Parliament will find someone who can.

The system is not a total lottery, and it hasn't been since at least 1688. Britain chooses its monarchs.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Ukraine war briefing: Kyiv pulls back Abrams tanks due to drone raids and losses, says US

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/26/ukraine-war-briefing-kyiv-pulls-back-abrams-tanks-due-to-drone-raids-and-losses-says-us
    ...Ukrainians have not adopted tactics that could have made the tanks more effective, one of the US defence officials said, such as in combined-arms warfare, training for which was provided by the US in Germany...

"Combined arms warfare" as practised by NATO isn't possible without the full range NATO equipment, particularly when you've been starved of munitions for several months.

There's also a failure to appreciate how drones have changed the terms of warfare. The proliferation of anti personnel drones makes infantry unprecedentedly vulnerable.

Combined arms operations require excellent logistics and command and control which is why the Russians cannot sustain it either. In particular, air superiority is necessary. It is a very expensive way to wage war in terms of treasure and technology, which is why we cannot really sustain it either. We might be able to field a Division for a few months before the capability runs out.

The war is much more likely to grind on as an attritional war of artillery, drones and the poor bloody infantry.
  • Options

There’s a campaign to call the renationalised railway “Rail Britannia” complete with a Rule Britannia jingle:

https://x.com/louhaigh/status/1783585720151482425

Scottish Rail is already nationalised, so need to be "Rest of UK Rail". Labour have no original ideas and Tories bereft of ideas.
  • Options

nico679 said:

Evidence is that the union has all the powers and England makes the decisions. What bit of that is hard to understand.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot

There will be some readers that demand the authentic, many others will not care. They'll just want to know where to go. So, as with most things there'll be a high end niche for travel writers. For the rest, if there is a job at all it will be desk bound, turning the AI stuff you found in three seconds into 800 word articles with tourism board photos to illustrate. Until AI can do that as well.

A long time ago I worked for Hello magazine in Madrid. It was typeset and printed there in the late 1980s by Hola - the Spanish company that owned it - before being trucked up for sale in the UK. My job was to pass the pages and to fill in certain gaps. Among these were the TV reviews. Of course, we were in Spain so did not see the UK TV. We just made it all up. No-one noticed or, if they did, no-one cared! Welcome to AI journalism.

Had a friend who, as a student, worked on a regional paper. One day she managed to lose the horoscopes. So she made them up - making sure to give herself a great day ahead.

No-one noticed or, if they did, no-one cared!
  • Options
    Stephen Flynn tells @BBCLauraMac on GMS that he “would anticipate” that Humza Yousaf would be speaking to the Greens ahead of a no confidence motion. Can the First Minister win back their support after ejecting them from his government?

https://x.com/BBCJamesCook/status/1783760986383544411
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,594

Could the Greens back Humza Yousaf after all? Lorna Slater on the BBC’s Good Morning Scotland: “We could have that conversation again and, you know, nobody has reached out to us in any way to try and change our minds so we’ll have to see how events develop.”

https://x.com/BBCJamesCook/status/1783756662014120407

Is that the sound of someone belatedly checking the cards they actually hold? I can understand the Greens being seriously narked, but they can't actually want an election, can they?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,745
    edited April 26
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Feminism has left middle-aged women like me single, childless and depressed
    We were taught to prioritise our careers over marriage – and now we are paying for it
    Petronella Wyatt"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/columnists/2024/04/25/feminism-has-failed-women-career-no-family-thatcher/

Are you sure it was feminism, rather than the affair with Boris Johnson?
    Not sure, but was a bit shocked by the article, how disappointed she seems with life.
    She certainly sounds quite depressed. I have some sympathy for her, but she came from a wealthy family, is well educated and has agency. That includes wasting her fertile years as the mistress of a notorious philanderer that paid for her abortion. She sounds more a doormat than a feminist.
    Wyatt is coping with / recovering from 6 months of clinical depression. I'd suggest that talking about it and thinking about explanations are part of that process. I think she may be lashing out.

That another article in a couple of months may show a different, somewhat balancing, perspective.

She wrote an affecting and honest-sounding column about it here in the Mail 2 months ago, which is well worth a read:
    https://archive.ph/QvX8x

For a Daily Mail article, it is not at all Daily Mail.

I'm not going to attempt to comment on how much of a hammer blow the final realisation of having no children is to a single woman, or what is does to one's head. I do know all about how random onset of serious health conditions arrives in life like a blow from a poleaxe, and she has my sympathy.

I do think that part of this may be the dark side of a 'glamorous' London life amongst the set her family moved into when her father switched politics, and how an independent woman perhaps does not fit in there.

I'm tempted to read Marjorie Hillis, which has been on my shelves for some time.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177
    TimS said:

IanB2 said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot
    Only the English speaking world does full cooked meals for breakfast. But I do like a bit of sliced cheese on my trips to continental hotels. Ideally served by one of those helical cheese wire contraptions where a turn of the handle shaves off a slice on to your plate.

Swiss breakfasts pretty good for tasty cheese-wire pared cheeses.
    Cheese-paring as an art perfected by the Swiss no less

• Options

The Scottish government would be the voice of a particular kind of largely-Glaswegian smugness: holier than thou, briskly intolerant of alternative views, and firmly of the view that if the people lacked the wisdom or vision to appreciate what was good for them the government would impose it upon them anyway. An eat-your-oat-milk-porridge kind of ministry certain of its own moral probity and powered by its own sanctimonious certainty.

https://alexmassie.substack.com/p/the-end-of-a-very-small-song

Massie is the Fanny of Fannies
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Jeepers

If William, for whatever reason, cannot cope as Monarch, to the extent that the survival of the institution is threatened, then Parliament will find someone who can.

The system is not a total lottery, and it hasn't been since at least 1688. Britain chooses its monarchs.
    The options if William flops are neither obvious nor straightforward for Parliament to bring in.

Fortunately we have Harry as "Spare", but I cannot see the Palace flunkies accepting that.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,328
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot

America and Australia both do magnificently inventive breakfasts - they have truly turned it into an artform. It’s not just smashed avo - they do amazing things with fish and eggs and chives and asparagus and chorizo and salsa

But a good German breakfast is excellent. The bread has to be top notch. Put cracked pepper and olive oil on the cheese and meats. Consume with the ripped bread unbuttered. Wash it down with scrumptious Breton apple juice and strong cafe au lait

I'm not a fan of cheese for breakfast, but it's true that bread is one of the few foods that Germany excels at. There's also a tradition of nipping out first thing to the bakers and buying a load of fresh bread rolls of various sorts for breakfast.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,611
    malcolmg said:

ohnotnow said:

Sturgeon didn't make Brexit a wedge issue when she should have. Cosying up to the People's Vote & #FBPE mob when she could have quite simply said though I disagree with it, England has made its choice and Scotland has made a different one. It would have had the simple virtue of being stone cold true.
    I found that really puzzling. It was just referred to like a grudge. And that felt like a clumsy mistake by her when she was normally quite astute (time will tell re.investigations) about political touchstones like that. A very clear, sad, disappointed, wipes tear from eye "We've drifted apart" would have been a lot more effective.
    As ever she only considered herself, nasty narcissist.
    “she only considered herself”

She never gave me the impression that her sympathies were as broad as that.
  • Options

Leon said:

Jeepers

The King has cancer. Of course they are doing obit packages that talk about cancer. There will be alternatives about old age or "peacefully in his sleep".

The point about obits is that they need to appear to be current - the persona has died, what happened etc. So as the situation that person is in evolves, the obits evolve. They can't just leave them in stasis.
  • Options
    edited April 26
    kamski said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot

I'm not a fan of cheese for breakfast, but it's true that bread is one of the few foods that Germany excels at. There's also a tradition of nipping out first thing to the bakers and buying a load of fresh bread rolls of various sorts for breakfast.
    Used to do that in Scotland - there was a recognised 'breakfast roll'. There was a baker a few doors down from the family house, too. Now it's almost all supermarkets. But happily a few bakers remain here and there.
  • Options

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot

Yes, exactly. The authentic handmade journalism will become aspirational and expensive and much prized. So someone like me with a distinct style aimed at quite affluent travelers could actually thrive (sorry, @foxy) but the poor bloody infantry of writing - the copywriters, guide book writers, text book writers, many subeditors, many editors - gone in a few short years
  • Options
    Taz said:

I love Jodie Whittaker. Fabulous actor who has played some absolutely brilliant and spellbinding roles. It wasn't her being boring, it was Chibnall's writing.
  • Options

Leon said:

Jeepers

The King has cancer. Of course they are doing obit packages that talk about cancer. There will be alternatives about old age or "peacefully in his sleep".

The point about obits is that they need to appear to be current - the persona has died, what happened etc. So as the situation that person is in evolves, the obits evolve. They can't just leave them in stasis.
    Indeed. A cure would be the occasion for yet another update, all with the dispassion of the news machine.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,345

TimS said:

"Safe" is subjective and can be counter intuitive. Subject any action to a risk assessment and varying degrees of hazard can be identified. The terms of reference are also important.

On the balance of probability most asylum seekers sent to Rwanda will not be gunned down for complaining about the nutritional value of their meals. Some might (again) but the majority won't. So on balance it is more safe than unsafe, but it is not without jeopardy.

Likewise swimming with very well fed and contented pet sharks is on the balance of probability safe but not without jeopardy. The Government could thus determine that swimming with sharks on balance is relatively "safe" because on the evidence available (i.e. of their choosing, and this is important) you are more likely to be not eaten than eaten by swimming with sharks.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,594
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Jeepers

The options if William flops are neither obvious nor straightforward for Parliament to bring in.

Fortunately we have Harry as "Spare", but I cannot see the Palace flunkies accepting that.
    To which the answer ought to be "tough". Flunkies are there to serve the institution, not the other way round. But there are plenty of situations where the flunkies are in control and run things for their benefit.

But a lot of people in the Palace and the media would have to swallow a lot of humble pie for Harry to return. Hard to see it happening, however grave the crisis.
  • Options
    edited April 26
    Next flu pandemic to come from US dairy herds ?

https://twitter.com/michaelmina_lab/status/1783685941091045657
    ..The H5N1 outbreak in dairy cows may be much much more extensive than has been reported.

Nearly 40% of pasteurized milk tested from throughout the Midwest (58/150 samples) had evidence of H5N1 RNA. ..

https://twitter.com/michaelmina_lab/status/1783685941091045657
  • Options
    nico679 said:

I’m a bit confused re the Kings cancer . Wouldn’t he have been regularly screened so any cancer would have been caught early ?

They don't have magic wands I am afraid
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,992
    Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Eabhal said:

=

I think the way Farron was harassed out of his leadership reflects poorly on our country. The same scrutiny of belief is not applied to non-Christian politicians.

The essence of Liberalism is that we have private views and beliefs but do not force them on others. I think both Farron and Forbes take this approach. Being an Evangelical Christian FM is no more problem than being a Muslim or Hindu one.
    I have a lot of time for Forbes, but the SNP would not want the support of people like me. I think she'd be a bad fit as leader, because of the way the SNP have positioned themselves as the most left wing of Scotland's big parties. If they moved rightwards, I think they'd lose much support.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

2 seconds later:

Ahaha. Et voila

A bientot
    Idli with sambhar and chutney has got to be one of the best breakfasts in the world
    The mild vegetable curries of Gujarat make a wonderful breakfast with fresh pressed juices and black tea
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

The Scottish government would be the voice of a particular kind of largely-Glaswegian smugness: holier than thou, briskly intolerant of alternative views, and firmly of the view that if the people lacked the wisdom or vision to appreciate what was good for them the government would impose it upon them anyway. An eat-your-oat-milk-porridge kind of ministry certain of its own moral probity and powered by its own sanctimonious certainty.

He's being a bit of an Edinbugger, isn't he?
  • Options
    MattW said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Feminism has left middle-aged women like me single, childless and depressed
    We were taught to prioritise our careers over marriage – and now we are paying for it
    Petronella Wyatt"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/columnists/2024/04/25/feminism-has-failed-women-career-no-family-thatcher/

Are you sure it was feminism, rather than the affair with Boris Johnson?
    Not sure, but was a bit shocked by the article, how disappointed she seems with life.
    She certainly sounds quite depressed. I have some sympathy for her, but she came from a wealthy family, is well educated and has agency. That includes wasting her fertile years as the mistress of a notorious philanderer that paid for her abortion. She sounds more a doormat than a feminist.
    Wyatt is coping with / recovering from 6 months of clinical depression. I'd suggest that talking about it and thinking about explanations are part of that process. I think she may be lashing out.

That another article in a couple of months may show a different, somewhat balancing, perspective.

She wrote an affecting and honest-sounding column about it here in the Mail 2 months ago, which is well worth a read:
    https://archive.ph/QvX8x

For a Daily Mail article, it is not at all Daily Mail.

I'm not going to attempt to comment on how much of a hammer blow the final realisation of having no children is to a single woman, or what is does to one's head. I do know all about how random onset of serious health conditions arrives in life like a blow from a poleaxe, and she has my sympathy.

I do think that part of this may be the dark side of a 'glamorous' London life amongst the set her family moved into when her father switched politics, and how an independent woman perhaps does not fit in there.

I'm tempted to read Marjorie Hillis, which has been on my shelves for some time.
    Yes, that is an interesting piece. Despite her private GP and Psychiatrist it was turning up in crisis at the NHS that started on the road to recovery. The NHS isn't just for other people.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,745

TimS said:

"Safe" is subjective and can be counter intuitive. Subject any action to a risk assessment and varying degrees of hazard can be identified. The terms of reference are also important.

On the balance of probability most asylum seekers sent to Rwanda will not be gunned down for complaining about the nutritional value of their meals. Some might (again) but the majority won't. So on balance it is more safe than unsafe, but it is not without jeopardy.

Likewise swimming with very well fed and contented pet sharks is on the balance of probability safe but not without jeopardy. The Government could thus determine that swimming with sharks on balance is relatively "safe" because on the evidence available (i.e. of their choosing, and this is important) you are more likely to be not eaten than eaten by swimming with sharks.
    I'm still amused by the "Sunak is 6ft 2in" bill.
  • Options
    On cancer the big news today is not the updating of obits but the announcement from UCL that skin cancer can be treated by vaccines developed in similar fashion to the Covid vaccines and tailored to the individual
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Jeepers

Indeed. A cure would be the occasion for yet another update, all with the dispassion of the news machine.
    A cure for cancer may not be far away

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/apr/26/cancer-mrna-vaccine-melanoma-trial?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,242
    Foxy said:

Good morning

Scotland politics is in chaos and who can say where this will go but Yousaf time as first minister must be over

On Rwanda seems the bill has resulted in unexpected consequences with Ireland experiencing asylum seekers in the UK travelling to Northern Ireland and crossing into Ireland and of course the EU

This is the so called deterrent effect actually happening and a real issue for Irish politicians and others

https://news.sky.com/story/rwanda-bill-causing-migrants-to-opt-for-ireland-deputy-pm-says-13123078

Asylum seekers were already going to Ireland. A couple of Irish politicians trying to cast blame on the UK is not evidence that the numbers are a result of the Rwanda policy. Let’s see a proper data analysis.
    Just as our politicians blame the French, the Irish blame us.

Surely the vast majority of asylum seekers in Ireland have always come via Britain.
    The Irish should open Safe Routes (TM).
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,992
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Jeepers

A friend died of cancer at 41, two years ago, so I certainly feel for the Prince and Princess of Wales. The disease can race through you, at that young age.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    Apparently several of the justices like the Trump immunity arguments at least a bit, and the chief justice indicates potentially sending the case back to lower courts with some new tests, so we can probably write off any chance of the DC federal insurrection case going to trial this year.

Business records fraud only it is.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,672
    Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Eabhal said:

=

I have a lot of time for Forbes, but the SNP would not want the support of people like me. I think she'd be a bad fit as leader, because of the way the SNP have positioned themselves as the most left wing of Scotland's big parties. If they moved rightwards, I think they'd lose much support.
    She'd be their Tim Farron.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Jeepers

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/apr/26/cancer-mrna-vaccine-melanoma-trial?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
    Only one specific kind and only mitigation, on that report, though.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Eabhal said:

=

That’s fair enough but Forbes can’t run away from her public remarks . She may well say this is a personal matter and won’t effect how she governs but some people will feel judged by her comments .
    You halfwit all politician's have their own views on subjects /topics. I see no whinging when it is an English Anglican, Hindu, muslim , etc.
    Bunch of bigoted arseholes just because she is Scottish.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Jeepers

Only one specific kind and only mitigation, on that report, though.
    I’ve read various reports. The boffins think this approach can be applied to many cancers
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Yes and most likely Morningside.
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 786

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Jeepers

To which the answer ought to be "tough". Flunkies are there to serve the institution, not the other way round. But there are plenty of situations where the flunkies are in control and run things for their benefit.

But a lot of people in the Palace and the media would have to swallow a lot of humble pie for Harry to return. Hard to see it happening, however grave the crisis.
    We're getting into fantasy politics a bit, but say William refuses, and also does so on behalf of his line, and Harry does likewise, is Andrew next? That's a chilling prospect.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

Yes and most likely Morningside.
    Never bumped into him here