Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,834
    Leadership Election Alert!

Speaking at the lobby lunch, James Cleverly says having another Tory leadership contest before the general election is a “catastrophically bad idea”.

https://x.com/adampayne26/status/1783491924936007697

It's really happening isn't it?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,336
    Pulpstar said:

Newey, Weinstein - All happening today !

...and Cleverly aiming outrageous heightist jokes at Sunak. Sunak standing on his wallet to reach Cleverly's height indeed!
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    Leon said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

Yet another beautiful French city. Quimper. How do they do it?

No noom in that lovely cathedral tho

I got there too late, and left too early, to get into the cathedral, but loved my stroll around exploring Quimper
    Quimper sounds like it should be an English word - or one of those fake answers in Call My Bluff.

What would it mean?
    Isn't it pronounced Kim-pair?

In Chaucerian English I fear Quimper would be very rude.
    It means “confluence” in Breton, because three rivers merge here. Which gives me an excuse to post another photo of relentlessly charming Quimper

Its pronounced khhaaaaAAAMP-eeaarrr
    Camp-Ear?
    You basically have to sound like you’re gargling mouthwash
    That's most French words AFAIAC. Daft unpronounceable language for the Northern English male. Makes Welsh look easy.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

I got there too late, and left too early, to get into the cathedral, but loved my stroll around exploring Quimper
    Quimper sounds like it should be an English word - or one of those fake answers in Call My Bluff.

What would it mean?

It means “confluence” in Breton, because three rivers merge here. Which gives me an excuse to post another photo of relentlessly charming Quimper

Camp-Ear?
    That would be "argargargaagh" shirley?
  • Options
    WaterfallWaterfall Posts: 96
    rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

More on META. Deflating the ai hype somewhat.

That $META earnings call was an absolute disaster. Zuck tried to convince his investors that AI is the future, when there's no real clear path to how it makes profit.

Then he tried to tie it into the metaverse.

At that point I bet a lot of people got PTSD, because the selling accelerated further...
    11:38 PM · Apr 24, 2024
    ·
    Views

https://x.com/Mayhem4Markets/status/1783264183129133466

Meta stock - even after today - is up 24% this year.
    Oh sure but in the markets sentiment is all. Today its had a giant gap down that broke its uptrend. So you have lots of unhappy trapped longs that will feed the selling. Perhaps its a chance for Leon to buy some more.
    Absolutely, when Tesla dropped 19% on 13 January 2012, that was the sign of the beginning of the end for the stock. If you'd shortsold it then, you would be absolutely... well bankrupt.

And of course, there was 28 September 2018, another day when Tesla stock fell more than 10%. That was when we knew it was all over for Tesla.
    Ive checked the charts. In neither of those instances did TSLA break a large parabolic uptrend to the downside. They were gaps within a choppy range thats all.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

That $META earnings call was an absolute disaster. Zuck tried to convince his investors that AI is the future, when there's no real clear path to how it makes profit.

At that point I bet a lot of people got PTSD, because the selling accelerated further...
    ·
    Views

Oh sure but in the markets sentiment is all. Today its had a giant gap down that broke its uptrend. So you have lots of unhappy trapped longs that will feed the selling. Perhaps its a chance for Leon to buy some more.
    Absolutely, when Tesla dropped 19% on 13 January 2012, that was the sign of the beginning of the end for the stock. If you'd shortsold it then, you would be absolutely... well bankrupt.

And of course, there was 28 September 2018, another day when Tesla stock fell more than 10%. That was when we knew it was all over for Tesla.
    Comparing TSLA in 2012 to META in 2024 is a bit silly not least the fact the market was pretty cheap in 2012 but is expensive now. Also in 2012 we had QE and zero interest rates with no inflation. But you are a wealthy man. The beauty of the market is you can buy a tonne of META now and prove me wrong.
    I bought Meta late last year for just over $300. I'm still feeling pretty smug, thank you.
    As an aside, in the last five months, Meta's market stock market capitalization has risen by $250bn.

That means Meta has increased more than four times the value of the entire Russian stock market in just five months.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,067
    DavidL said:

The Trump legal arguments seem clear enough. The dictator for a day is able to do what he wants, kill who he wants, whatever he does is legal because he is the president.

What boggles the mind is that self-styled patriots who claim to be defenders of the constitution cheer this on.

Why doesn't the government not just concede the point and instruct Trump's Presidential security to do their duty?
    Does it have to be the President himself (so far) or can an aide be authorised?
    Asking for a friend of a friend.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

Comparing TSLA in 2012 to META in 2024 is a bit silly not least the fact the market was pretty cheap in 2012 but is expensive now. Also in 2012 we had QE and zero interest rates with no inflation. But you are a wealthy man. The beauty of the market is you can buy a tonne of META now and prove me wrong.
    I bought Meta late last year for just over $300. I'm still feeling pretty smug, thank you.
    Good for you. Dont let those paper gains turn into losses though.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,550
    edited April 25

German polling update:

https://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/

The Christian Democrats still riding high. Social Democrats and liberals (FDP) still in deep trouble, while Greens weathering the anti-Government swing a bit better. AfD somewhat off the boil, with the anti-immigration and pro-Russian far left BSW picking up and probably safely above the 5% hurdle (unlike the Corbynist Die Linke which they split from). The problem of forming a potential non-SPD government remains - if the AfD are off-limits, the CDU will need both Greens and FDP to get a majority, which looks unlikely.

You skip the most incredible - and momentous - polling data from Germany. The hard right AfD is now the most popular party amongst Germans aged 14-29

This is really important because this is why Le pen is close to the French presidency. The young vote for her, it’s not just the old

I am pretty sure Britain will eventually follow this pattern. Why should we be immune? We might be. We probably aren’t

https://x.com/derjamesjackson/status/1783090085405016557?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
  • Options
    Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

Ive checked the charts. In neither of those instances did TSLA break a large parabolic uptrend to the downside. They were gaps within a choppy range thats all.
    Here is a full list of all the successful chartist hedge funds:
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

As an aside, in the last five months, Meta's market stock market capitalization has risen by $250bn.

That means Meta has increased more than four times the value of the entire Russian stock market in just five months.
    Yes a sign of how disconnected from reality the us stock market has become.
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 611
    edited April 25
    MattW said:

Leon said:

What would it mean?
    A quimper (pronounced "kwim-purr") is a woman or pre-op "trans man" who prefers a certain impersonal pronoun.

The Canadian Supreme Court is halfway to using it already.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,350
    Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

I do not own shares in Tesla. But

UPSIDES:
    Best-selling car globally last year
    Technology platform now adopted as US standard
    Gigacasting construction - so much profit that Toyota & other Chinese firms now copying
    Leading-edge AI unlocking self-driving tech years ahead of anyone else

DOWNSIDES:
    Musk is a wazzock
    EV market softening
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

What would it mean?

Camp-Ear?
    That's most French words AFAIAC. Daft unpronounceable language for the Northern English male. Makes Welsh look easy.
    Er, Breton *IS* Welsh. And Quimper is a Breton name ...
    Closer to Cornish, acksheewwwalllyy
  • Options
    Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

Come on, pick a side.

Are stock market highly predictive or not? You can't have it both ways.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,027
    Someone, sadly not Leon has attempted to recreate Tom Baker’s Day in the Life pub crawl round Soho that was published in 1978

https://www.the-fence.com/bakers-dozen/
  • Options
    Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

Indeed. Oh for the sane days of 1929 eh?

(Other dates are available.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

Thats not charting its basic mass psychology. There are a lot of trapped longs In META now. Oh and wasnt John Henry a chartist he bought Liverpool fc.
  • Options

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

UPSIDES:
    Gigacasting construction - so much profit that Toyota & other Chinese firms now copying

DOWNSIDES:
    Musk is a wazzock
    EV market softening
    Another downside is the Cybertruck is trashing the brand. Love the channel by the way.
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 648
    MattW said:

isam said:

Bad Al continuing to market fiction

Short video on why I am going into children’s books! Because politics matters and we need to both inform and fire up the next generation. Two books out same day in August, pre-order here including option of signed books via @Waterstones … lnkfi.re/sJJcp0

https://x.com/campbellclaret/status/1783018337410166932?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

Isn't there a fairytale or Hammer House of Horrow about a being split into Bad and Good being recombined to make the original.

Can we find Good Al from somewhere and put them through the reverse process?
    Star Trek (Original Series): The Enemy Within
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Enemy_Within_(Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series)
  • Options

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

UPSIDES:

DOWNSIDES:
    Musk is a wazzock
    EV market softening
    The NACs standard is a boon for non-Teslas, and a problem for Tesla.

The biggest reason to buy a Tesla over - say - a Ioniq 5 was the ubiquity and reliability of the Tesla charging network.

Now that advantage has been taken away from Tesla. I can now charge my Rivian at CCS chargers, Rivian chargers and Tesla chargers. It's now a better car from a public charging perspective that a Tesla. That's a massive change from a year ago.
  • Options
    Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

Not really. I'd rather own facebook than Russia. Facebook can't be arbitrarily seized on the whim of a mad despot intent on turning everything of value into rocks to throw at Ukraine, for one. If I owned anything at all in Russia I would be trying my damnedest to offload it. That's why nothing in Russia is worth very much.
    Zuckerberg may or may not make some duff bets but I've got total faith in him not launching a catastrophic war with his neighbour.
  • Options

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

UPSIDES:

DOWNSIDES:
    Musk is a wazzock
    EV market softening
    Musk also has the potential to synergise his amazing companies in a way others don’t

He recently did a live TwiX interview from his private jet using starlink - his own satellite company

It was comic book villain stuff. But undeniably impressive

Betting against Musk has not been sensible for most of the last 15 years, I’m not sure that’s going to change
  • Options
    Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

Thats not charting its basic mass psychology. There are a lot of trapped longs In META now. Oh and wasnt John Henry a chartist he bought Liverpool fc.
    "Trapped longs"?

The only people who are currently losing money in Meta are those who bought it after 1 February.

The rest of those holders had a bad today. But are still sitting on some pretty amazing gains.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

Come on, pick a side.

Predictive of what. We know bubbles form in the stock market eg 2000 in Nasdaq or 1929. Characteristics of bubbles parabolic upmoves. META has just had a parabolic upmove.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,134
    Leon said:

German polling update:

The Christian Democrats still riding high. Social Democrats and liberals (FDP) still in deep trouble, while Greens weathering the anti-Government swing a bit better. AfD somewhat off the boil, with the anti-immigration and pro-Russian far left BSW picking up and probably safely above the 5% hurdle (unlike the Corbynist Die Linke which they split from). The problem of forming a potential non-SPD government remains - if the AfD are off-limits, the CDU will need both Greens and FDP to get a majority, which looks unlikely.

You skip the most incredible - and momentous - polling data from Germany. The hard right AfD is now the most popular party amongst Germans aged 14-29

This is really important because this is why Le pen is close to the French presidency. The young vote for her, it’s not just the old

I am pretty sure Britain will eventually follow this pattern. Why should we be immune? We might be. We probably aren’t

https://x.com/derjamesjackson/status/1783090085405016557?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
    The youth in France and Germany are protesting the mass immigration from extremist countries. Algeria and Tunisia in France's case. Turkey, Syria and Iraq in Germany's case.

Thankfully in Britain, the elite has partially taken notice and acted on it. We fortunately Brexited before that million odd Middle Easterners got EU passports and we have ramped up the income thresholds for worker and family visas, which should stem the flow from places like Pakistan and Bangladesh. The question is whether Starmer and the bleeding hearts in Labour reverse those changes to appeal to parts of their base, who quite like bringing in arranged spouses.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,027

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

UPSIDES:

DOWNSIDES:
    Musk is a wazzock
    EV market softening
    Another downside is the Cybertruck is trashing the brand. Love the channel by the way.
    The only bit that has been adopted as a US standard is Tesla’s charging cable and probably from that the communications protocol that comes with it to talk to the charger
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,200
    @dorfonlaw

From the second paragraph of Alito's majority opinion in Dobbs and offered as a reason for overturning Roe: "the Constitution makes no mention of abortion." Guess what. The Constitution makes no mention of immunity to criminal prosecution of former Presidents. Just saying.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,200
    @STVNews

BREAKING | Greens will vote to oust First Minister meaning Humza Yousaf's fate hangs on single MSP.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

What would it mean?

Camp-Ear?
    Er, Breton *IS* Welsh. And Quimper is a Breton name ...
    Ha. Fair point. But presumably it's pronounced rather more sympathetically in Breton? In my limited experience Breton is a rather friendlier language to the Anglophone tongue than French.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,919
    eek said:

Someone, sadly not Leon has attempted to recreate Tom Baker’s Day in the Life pub crawl round Soho that was published in 1978

https://www.the-fence.com/bakers-dozen/

That's great stuff!

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

"Trapped longs"?

The only people who are currently losing money in Meta are those who bought it after 1 February.

The rest of those holders had a bad today. But are still sitting on some pretty amazing gains.
    3 months of buyers are losing money. Ok we will agree to disagree and of course if you are right you reap the benefits if not well thats the market.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

UPSIDES:

DOWNSIDES:
    Musk is a wazzock
    EV market softening
    Musk also has the potential to synergise his amazing companies in a way others don’t

He recently did a live TwiX interview from his private jet using starlink - his own satellite company

Betting against Musk has not been sensible for most of the last 15 years, I’m not sure that’s going to change
    Starlink is absolutely amazing: it will revolutionize internet access in rural areas and in third world countries. And it's going to absolutely dominate the aircraft internet market (I've used it many times on JSX flights to Phoenix).
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,732
    Leon said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

What would it mean?
    One hopes so.
    I took a photo for you! (I’ll stop with the photos after this)

Some modern stained glass in Quimper cathedral. lt ain’t Chagall but I rather like it

Thanks.

What's the camera?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@STVNews

BREAKING | Greens will vote to oust First Minister meaning Humza Yousaf's fate hangs on single MSP.

'hangs on every single MSP' is more accurate.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,134
    Leon said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

UPSIDES:

DOWNSIDES:
    Musk is a wazzock
    EV market softening

And by "synergize" you mean "use concentrated market power in one sector to push our rivals in another". This is of course why we have antitrust legislation and competition law.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,943
    edited April 25

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

UPSIDES:

DOWNSIDES:
    Musk is a wazzock
    EV market softening
    DOWNSIDES:
    Chinese EVs are hitting the market at much cheaper price points thanks to vertically integrated supply chains.
    Tesla’s vehicle line-up is outdated & Musk cancelled development of a new cheaper model to throw developers at the Cybertruck instead which has sold a whopping 4000 vehicles in the USA at vast expense.

I would never write Musk / Tesla off, but they’re facing a bunch of headwinds. Flip side is that they still have the supercharger network & that makes a huge difference. No other EV manufacturer can match it. Plus, if they can scale the cybertruck production then there seems to be a lot of demand for it.
  • Options
    Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

Come on, pick a side.

Predictive of what. We know bubbles form in the stock market eg 2000 in Nasdaq or 1929. Characteristics of bubbles parabolic upmoves. META has just had a parabolic upmove.
    And the TMT boom was right. The Internet did change the world.

It's just that stock prices ran ahead of reality for a while. The same has happened many times: investors get rightly excited about something (the internet, AI, solar power etc), and bid up stocks too high.

Stock prices correct.

But the fundamental thesis is usually correct.

And AI will change the world. Whether Meta is the big winner, or it is someone else, I wouldn't guess.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,429
    edited April 25
    Scott_xP said:

@STVNews

Well now.
  • Options
    Phil said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

UPSIDES:

DOWNSIDES:
    Musk is a wazzock
    EV market softening
    DOWNSIDES:
    Chinese EVs are hitting the market at much cheaper price points thanks to vertically integrated supply chains.
    Tesla’s vehicle line-up is outdated & Musk cancelled development of a new cheaper model to throw developers at the Cybertruck instead which has sold a whopping 4000 vehicles in the USA at vast expense.

I would never write Musk / Tesla off, but they’re facing a bunch of headwinds. Flip side is that they still have the supercharger network & that makes a huge difference. No other EV manufacturer can match it. Plus, if they can scale the cybertruck production then there seems to be a lot of demand for it.
    The cheaper car is uncancelled.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,369

Just cost me £1.

Yes, One English Pound, to put air in my tyres.

Used to be 20p.

Suppose that's inflation for you.

Buy yourself a tyre inflator
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,827
    Leon said:

German polling update:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SDuHXTG3uyY
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Phil said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

UPSIDES:

DOWNSIDES:
    Musk is a wazzock
    EV market softening
    DOWNSIDES:

Also vapourware, at this point.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

What would it mean?
    One hopes so.

Some modern stained glass in Quimper cathedral. lt ain’t Chagall but I rather like it

Thanks.

What's the camera?
    That's not a camera, that's the baby Jesus.
  • Options

Just cost me £1.

Yes, One English Pound, to put air in my tyres.

Used to be 20p.

Suppose that's inflation for you.

Buy yourself a tyre inflator
    An "English" one, presumably. One wouldi magine that a UK pound would be less suspicious to the chap at the garage.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    If there is an election, will Sturgeon stand again?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,305
    Nigelb said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

@Iainmackay8

Check out the Greens but even better, check out the sign language guy 😆😆😅😅

I wonder what the collective noun is for a group of Green MSP's ?
    A bunch of Greens, obvs.
    That’s very good 👍
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

Come on, pick a side.

It's just that stock prices ran ahead of reality for a while. The same has happened many times: investors get rightly excited about something (the internet, AI, solar power etc), and bid up stocks too high.

Stock prices correct.

And AI will change the world. Whether Meta is the big winner, or it is someone else, I wouldn't guess.
    Well thats the problem. If you bought CSCO in 2000 you would still be underwater. Many of the smaller internet names went bust. Even big winners like AMZN were dead money for 7 or 8 years.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Leon said:

German polling update:

The youth in France and Germany are protesting the mass immigration from extremist countries. Algeria and Tunisia in France's case. Turkey, Syria and Iraq in Germany's case.

Thankfully in Britain, the elite has partially taken notice and acted on it. We fortunately Brexited before that million odd Middle Easterners got EU passports and we have ramped up the income thresholds for worker and family visas, which should stem the flow from places like Pakistan and Bangladesh. The question is whether Starmer and the bleeding hearts in Labour reverse those changes to appeal to parts of their base, who quite like bringing in arranged spouses.
    Didn't keep this chap out, or his victim alive, unfortunately.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/04/25/asylum-seeker-revenge-israel-hamas-war-guilty-murder/
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369
    Scottish Greens voting with Scons vonc in Yousaf

Who would have predicted this even 48 hours ago
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593
    WillG said:

Leon said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

UPSIDES:

DOWNSIDES:
    Musk is a wazzock
    EV market softening

And by "synergize" you mean "use concentrated market power in one sector to push our rivals in another". This is of course why we have antitrust legislation and competition law.
    As far as can be determined, SpaceX is working very hard to avoid such legal attacks.

They've launched satellites for all their rivals in space data, for a lower price than anyone else was offering and even bumping their own payloads of Starlink stats to do so (see OneWeb). They could have claimed that Kuiper (Amazon's version of Starlink) would have to wait 2 years for a launch slot. But they didn't.

The lock that SpaceX has on the industry is that the Falcon 9 is the cheapest launch vehicle per kilo lofted by a long, long way. If the analyses from third parties as to the marginal cost of Starship/Super Heavy is correct - less than $100 million to fully expend - then cost per ton drops even further. If they get first stage reuse going then that drops to around $30 million per flight.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167

Depends if she is charged or not and if she is convicted I imagine
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Phil said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

UPSIDES:

DOWNSIDES:
    Musk is a wazzock
    EV market softening
    DOWNSIDES:

Yep: the Model 2 won't hit the market until - I would guess - late 2026 or 2027. That's an awful lot of time for existing makers of cheap EVs to grab share.

Like this one: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806302211835.html

Compact, but still four door. A beautiful retro interior.

Now, I grant you it's probably not street legal in the UK. But at just $2,307.38, how can you resist?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@dorfonlaw

From the second paragraph of Alito's majority opinion in Dobbs and offered as a reason for overturning Roe: "the Constitution makes no mention of abortion." Guess what. The Constitution makes no mention of immunity to criminal prosecution of former Presidents. Just saying.

Listening to fucking Alito this afternoon, it's 100% clear that he'd give Trump full immunity if it were left to him.
    Utter asshole.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,943
    rcs1000 said:

Phil said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

UPSIDES:

DOWNSIDES:
    Musk is a wazzock
    EV market softening
    DOWNSIDES:

So I see! I guess Musk realised that shareholders were in revolt so he made some fresh promises that he may or may not be able to keep...
  • Options
    edited April 25
    rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

"Trapped longs"?

MattW said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

What would it mean?
    One hopes so.

Thanks.

What's the camera?
    iPhone 13 max pro!
  • Options
    Breton Purge
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

German polling update:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SDuHXTG3uyY
    Many of the young will go hard right but not in the way of the boomers which was a half hearted effort by a generation too comfortable to contemplate serious change. This will be a real visceral hard right driven by deteriorating economic conditions and massive demographic change.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,960

She was going to stand down in 2026, so probably doubtful.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    Leon said:

German polling update:

The AfD are only just ahead of the Union and Greens with the youngest voters and then on only just over 20%.

In France the youngest voters voted for Melenchon in the first round last time and then Macron in the runoff, it is middle aged white voters where Le Pen got her strongest support (pensioners most likely to vote for Macron and his party in the runoff and Les Republicains and Macron and his party in the first round)
  • Options
    Leon said:

Breton Purge

Too much scrumpy bretonnaise?
  • Options
    Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

Come on, pick a side.

Stock prices correct.

Well thats the problem. If you bought CSCO in 2000 you would still be underwater. Many of the smaller internet names went bust. Even big winners like AMZN were dead money for 7 or 8 years.
    What is the problem?

That is literally the whole point of stock markets.

And it's why - unless you have balls of steel - you have a diversified portfolio. No one in their right minds just owns Meta. I own 30 or 40 publicly listed shares. Some, like Roche, have done me no favours at all. Others make me look like a genius.

And that's OK! That's the market working.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Phil said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

UPSIDES:

DOWNSIDES:
    Musk is a wazzock
    EV market softening
    DOWNSIDES:

Yep: the Model 2 won't hit the market until - I would guess - late 2026 or 2027. That's an awful lot of time for existing makers of cheap EVs to grab share.

Like this one: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806302211835.html

Compact, but still four door. A beautiful retro interior.

Now, I grant you it's probably not street legal in the UK. But at just $2,307.38, how can you resist?
    I would highly recommend everyone clicks on the link.
  • Options

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

UPSIDES:

DOWNSIDES:
    Musk is a wazzock
    EV market softening
    You realise the Chinese own the Italian company that makes the Gigapress ?

The real downside for Tesla is that Chinese EV manufacturers are looking to license their manufacturing know how to Tesla's US competitors.
    Which would mean serious competition.

SpaceX/Starlink have a dominant market position that's going to be hard to shift for a while (though there are a couple of threats on the horizon). Tesla probably doesn't for very much longer.
  • Options
    edited April 25
    We are in the extraordinary position there could be a Holyrood election before the UK GE

Who said 'a week is a long time in politics' and 'events' both of which make politics wholly unpredictable
  • Options

Politics at its best. Proper drama - the SNP have delivered in spades for months

This also gives the lie to the idea that “Wokeness” doesn’t have much impact on our politics. It absolutely does. The greens have dumped the nits because the snp are not on board with the trans agenda

So this is now toppling entire governments
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited April 25
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

@leon there’s a reply to you about Bordeaux on previous thread. Ignore my mini break term - no idea which recess of my brain that came from. Substitute for weekend, short break, anything.

Definitely do Bordeaux. It’s one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, now it’s all clean. Nice food and excellent wine (of course). Also plenty of history and culture. A really good weekend city break and so easy to reach and yet not overrun with tourists like more famous cities

And yes avoid the heat of high summer
    It's a fairly quiet town: but it's attractive, affordable and has good food. Worth a visit, but not more than a few days unless you are pushing on doing a lot of vineyards.
    Surely the way to do Bordeaux, is to hire a car and driver for the week, then go and visit sh!tloads of some of the World’s best vineyards, until one falls over?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

Come on, pick a side.

Stock prices correct.

What is the problem?

And it's why - unless you have balls of steel - you have a diversified portfolio. No one in their right minds just owns Meta. I own 30 or 40 publicly listed shares. Some, like Roche, have done me no favours at all. Others make me look like a genius.

Oh I agree. Im pointing out the danger of investing near bubble tops where even a diversified tech portfolio would likely have been underwater for 10 to 15 years. And the past is no guide to the future. The past performance of the us stockmarket has been related to it being the dominant economic power.
  • Options
    Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

Come on, pick a side.

Stock prices correct.

What is the problem?

Oh I agree. Im pointing out the danger of investing near bubble tops where even a diversified tech portfolio would likely have been underwater for 10 to 15 years. And the past is no guide to the future. The past performance of the us stockmarket has been related to it being the dominant economic power.
    AI is very clearly going to overtake the world. The technology is easily as profound as the Internet or electricity in its impact (potentially much greater). Any company that masters any aspect of it will explode in value

The trouble is finding and selecting those companies
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963
    rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

Come on, pick a side.

Stock prices correct.

The trouble with AI as we presently understand it is that there's no moat - open source lags not far behind the closed source models and any fool can rent cloud space to run the bigger models if they don't have the hardware at home.

For businesses with privacy concerns (would you trust Facebook, of all people, with industry-sensitive data?) being able to deploy your own company-wide AI built off the back of an open source model makes a lot of sense.

It's why OpenAI and their ilk are so big on 'ai safety' and the like, as a form of regulatory capture. It's revolutionary technology, but there's no secret sauce to it, and given all the data protection scandals of the past decade, no real reason to trust a third party to do it when open source does it just as well.

As usual the people getting rich will probably be the ones selling the shovels. NVIDIA etc.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,788
    edited April 25
    Leon said:

Politics at its best. Proper drama - the SNP have delivered in spades for months

This also gives the lie to the idea that “Wokeness” doesn’t have much impact on our politics. It absolutely does. The greens have dumped the nits because the snp are not on board with the trans agenda

I recall fond days when I and others (@Cyclefree) were dismissed as cranks for pointing out the problems of GRR or "Affirmative Care".

No need to apologise, we knew we were right then...
  • Options
    LOL

Kavanaugh: "President Ford's pardon. Hugely unpopular when he did it... now probably looked on as one of his better decisions."

What? WHAT? WHO THE FUCK THINKS FORD'S PARDON OF NIXON WAS A GOOD IDEA? WHEN DID I DIE AND GO TO HELL????

https://twitter.com/ElieNYC/status/1783530442018156606
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,002
    edited April 25
    Just seen that the SNP are going to vote against Humza. So it's curtains for his leadership.

https://news.sky.com/story/greens-to-back-no-confidence-motion-in-scottish-first-minister-humza-yousaf-13122823
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Top tip;

Don't fuck with Jason Beer about the terms of the SPM contract.

The first five words were sufficient.

And it’ll be Sir Jason Beer KC soon enough. Feck will he be able to name his price after this inquiry.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,732
    edited April 25
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

What would it mean?

Camp-Ear?
    I think I disagree.

Try and say "hamper" with an extra R and a faux-Scottish (?) accent.

Or think of a poor quality pear: ham-pear.

I'm surprised that @Leon put "a"s in the second half, which according to me nearly adds an extra syllable in French.

Or even better, ask Nick Clegg or Ed Davey, who have 4 or 5 languages each.
  • Options

Stand again. Are you sure you don't mean stand trial?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,597
    Scott_xP said:

@STVNews

Look at the headline to this thread.

***Legendary modesty klaxon***
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@STVNews

Shouting-it-from-the-rooftops levels of modesty.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited April 25
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Top tip;

And it’ll be Sir Jason Beer KC soon enough. Feck will he be able to name his price after this inquiry.
    It seems pretty clear. Precisely no one who held a senior position in the PO knew what was going on. At least AvdB knew that the PO was conducting its own prosecutions which is better than the various chairmen, COOs, Chief Executives, etc.

They might as well make the Vennells session pay-per-view. It would raise a ton of money, including my own £19.99. Better value than Fury-Usyk.
  • Options

Leon said:

I recall fond days when I and others (@Cyclefree) were dismissed as cranks for pointing out the problems of GRR or "Affirmative Care".

You and @Cyclefree are, indeed, completely vindicated

🥂
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

@STVNews

I like to remind people of my never been wrong on Scottish politics stretch that has been going on for nearly two decades
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Just seen that the SNP are going to vote against Humza. So it's curtains for his leadership.

https://news.sky.com/story/greens-to-back-no-confidence-motion-in-scottish-first-minister-humza-yousaf-13122823

Huge if true.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited April 25
    Beer asks the question that has been outstanding all day after a full day of AvdB denying she knew about or did anything.

Beer: "can you please tell us what you _did_ do."
  • Options

Leon said:

Just a bit of friendly advice, be a bit more modest and self effacing when reminding PBers that you were right.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,397
    Andy_JS said:

No, it means that it all turns on the vote of Ash Regan who is now in Alba. If she votes for the government, and the story is that she intends to, then the vote will be a tie at 64 votes each. In those circumstances the Presiding Officer will normally vote in favour of the government of the day.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,002

Andy_JS said:

Huge if true.
    It's on BBC News and Sky News.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,658
    rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

Come on, pick a side.

Moral of current PB thread - Do NOT take stock tips from a Putin-Bot.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

@STVNews

I like to remind people of my never been wrong on Scottish politics stretch that has been going on for nearly two decades
    You make an interesting point that this could - in the end - be good for the nats if it means they dump an unpopular leader like Yousless - and find someone better

But is there someone better? Forbes is clearly papabile but she’s too unwoke. She will wind up too many people in a party already split on woke issues (as we see)

Is there anyone else? This putative leader ALSO has to bridge the divide between Indy fundamentalists and the hmmm gradualists
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,456
    A coupla thoughts.
    1. This is a VONC in Humza - not the Govt. Therefore if he loses doesn't mean an election.
    2. With Greens supporting the VONC the math indicates he will need Alba MSP Ash Regan's support. That means, effectively, that his fate rests in Alex Salmond's hands.
    A real LOL.
  • Options
    edited April 25
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Huge if true.
    It's on BBC News and Sky News.
    It's the Greens who are voting against the SNP, not the SNP voting against Humza Yousaf.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

No, it means that it all turns on the vote of Ash Regan who is now in Alba. If she votes for the government, and the story is that she intends to, then the vote will be a tie at 64 votes each. In those circumstances the Presiding Officer will normally vote in favour of the government of the day.
    I'm lost. So the SNP and greens are voting against Humza and everyone else is voting in favour?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,067
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Top tip;

It seems pretty clear. Precisely no one who held a senior position in the PO knew what was going on. At least AvdB knew that the PO was conducting its own prosecutions which is better than the various chairmen, COOs, Chief Executives, etc.

They might as well make the Vennells session pay-per-view. It would raise a ton of money, including my own £19.99. Better value than Fury-Usyk.
    Don’t be silly. She won’t remember a thing!
  • Options

A coupla thoughts.
    1. This is a VONC in Humza - not the Govt. Therefore if he loses doesn't mean an election.
    2. With Greens supporting the VONC the math indicates he will need Alba MSP Ash Regan's support. That means, effectively, that his fate rests in Alex Salmond's hands.
    A real LOL.

As I understand it the SNP would have 28 days to put forward another candidate who would need to be endorsed by Holyrood failing which an election would have to be called
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

Come on, pick a side.

Moral of current PB thread - Do NOT take stock tips from a Putin-Bot.
    Indeed. But am I bluffing or am i double bluffing. Who knows. The world is a strange place these days.
  • Options

Leon said:

You were, but I don't think you were dismissed as cranks. As far as I recall most voices were supportive. Some may have been furiously agin you but they were a vocal but unrepresentative few.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,397

A coupla thoughts.
    A real LOL.

There is a lively debate about this on Wings at the moment. Campbell is suggesting that Ross has fluffed this by having a VONC in Yousaf rather than the government. I am not sure that is right. I think that a VONC in Yousaf would require him to resign. I am not sure how we would get another FM within 28 days.