Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,401

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

@Iainmackay8

Check out the Greens but even better, check out the sign language guy 😆😆😅😅

I wonder what the collective noun is for a group of Green MSP's ?
    A Bute House of Green MSPs.
    He's given them the Bute.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,199
    @jimsciutto

Oral arguments before the Supreme Court are underway. Justice Thomas begins with question on how the court would determine what an official presidential act is.

@abbydphillip

For the record, Trump's attorney John Sauer argues before the Supreme Court that depending on the circumstances, assassinating a political rival could be considered an official act.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,392
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

"New York appeals court overturns Harvey Weinstein’s sex crimes convictions and orders a new trial"

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/04/25/us/harvey-weinstein-conviction-overturned-appeal/index.html

IANA American lawyer but there surely has to be a warning in that decision about the intention of the AG in the Trump Hush money case leading evidence about the other alleged affair where a woman was paid off when there are no charges relating to her payment. Other than showing Trump is a sleezebag who is willing to pay women to be silent it is not easy to see what the relevance of that evidence is to the current charges.
    Apparently only affects one of Weinstein's convictions. The other stands. So I suppose it might be a fairly easy way of sending a message if he's still locked up anyway.
    I understand he has a separate conviction for rape in California which is unrelated to this and for which he is serving a sentence. We have strict rules about what we call collateral evidence in a criminal case. The American approach seems to be more kitchen sink orientated but clearly there are limits.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

GIN1138 said:

Ferrets in a sack...

More like weasels....
    What's the difference between a stoat and a weasel?

A weasel is a weasel and a stoat is stoatally different.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@jimsciutto

Oral arguments before the Supreme Court are underway. Justice Thomas begins with question on how the court would determine what an official presidential act is.

@abbydphillip

For the record, Trump's attorney John Sauer argues before the Supreme Court that depending on the circumstances, assassinating a political rival could be considered an official act.

They really are, literally, going to give Biden a loaded gun, aren't they?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424

DavidL said:

BREAKING: Labour has said it will back a Tory no confidence motion in First Minister Humza Yousaf. The Scottish Greens say they will meet later to discuss their position.

https://x.com/HolyroodDaily/status/1783467368145973747

They'll abstain. They are completely unemployable and on a good wage which is going to end when the election comes. Abstention is enough to protect the government.

Another key player here is Ash Regan. According to WingsoverScotland she is minded to vote with the SNP giving them 64 votes (assuming Nicola turns up today). Campbell has excellent sources in Alba so that should be taken seriously. That should be enough for a tie which might be enough for the government to survive.
    The Greens are polling quite well for Holyrood elections. They would probably do a lot better at any election than the SNP would.
    Unless you forgot to put in a 'relatively' there I may have to award you the Order of the Scotchpert, 2nd Class.
    Okay. They'd still have fewer seats than the SNP after the election, but relative to their starting point they would do better. They might well hold all their seats, which would be a miraculous result for the SNP going by the current polls.
    I don't have the weird hatred of the Scottish Greens that seems to possess so many PBers, I know a few people who vote for them for perfectly valid reasons rather than the fevered motivations ascribed to them by the Herd. It's certainly possible that the SNP will lose MSPs and the Greens keep their current count but 64 is a lot of seats, 8 (if you include the presiding officer) isn't. Losing one seat for the SGs is the equivalent of eight for the SNP (both results possible in any Holyrood election).
    I voted for the Scottish Greens because I think that climate change should be a much higher priority. If there's an election because Green Party members weren't happy about climate pledges being abandoned, then I expect I'll vote for them again*.

There aren't many polls that show them losing votes compared to 2021.

* Assuming I get an absentee vote for Holyrood.
    No overseas vote for Holyrood. I'll be a spectator then.
  • Options
    WaterfallWaterfall Posts: 96

Waterfall said:

For those who say the us economy is doing well.

BREAKING: US Q1 2024 GDP comes in at 1.6%, BELOW expectations of 2.5%.

If 1.6% is the final reading, it will end 6 STRAIGHT quarters of 2%+ growth.

However, we still have not had 2 consecutive quarters with declining GDP since Q2 2022.

Is the economy beginning to weaken?
    1:31 PM · Apr 25, 2024
    ·
    Views

https://x.com/KobeissiLetter/status/1783473844226842877

I'm no economist, but is this good news for Biden?
    Previously it was said the economy was too strong to allow rate cuts.
    No.

BREAKING: Interest rate futures are now pricing in just 1 rate cut during 2024 for the first time ever.

After a weaker than expected GDP reading but stronger than expected PCE Price Index, another rate cut was just priced-out.

In fact, interest rate futures now see a record high 20% chance of ZERO rate cuts in 2024.

Just 4 months ago, markets saw a rate cut at EVERY Fed meeting beginning in March.

Are rate hikes back on the table?

https://x.com/KobeissiLetter/status/1783491635206103444
  • Options
    Horrible day for the mag 7 tech stocks today.
    Amzn down 3%
    Goog down 3.5%
    Msft down 4%
    Meta down 11% ouch.

Mkt pricing out rate cuts now.
  • Options
    @ianbassin

Wow. Not backing off. Trump’s lawyer just told the Supreme Court Trump could assassinate his opponent and would still be immune from prosecution.

Trump said he could shoot someone on 5th Ave and get away with it. Now he’s asking the Supreme Court to make that so. Not a drill.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,840
    tlg86 said:

GIN1138 said:

Ferrets in a sack...

More like weasels....
    What's the difference between a stoat and a weasel?

A weasel is a weasel and a stoat is stoatally different.
    How do you titillate an ocelot?

Oscillate its tits a lot.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,336
    The optics are awful.

I can't see Gething weathering this. Should Labour win the General Election I can see Gething being asked politely to vacate the stage by Team Starmer.

Even if it is all above board, it looks terrible.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,674
    Leon said:

@leon there’s a reply to you about Bordeaux on previous thread. Ignore my mini break term - no idea which recess of my brain that came from. Substitute for weekend, short break, anything.

Definitely do Bordeaux. It’s one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, now it’s all clean. Nice food and excellent wine (of course). Also plenty of history and culture. A really good weekend city break and so easy to reach and yet not overrun with tourists like more famous cities

And yes avoid the heat of high summer
    I started one of my bike rides there in June. Around ever corner there appeared to be a little square that was full of restaurants that spilled over into the centre of the square (that is the roads effectively went through the restaurants). Had a lovely plate of kidneys. The waiter double checked that I knew what I was ordering. Seemed surprised an Englishman would eat kidneys.

It seemed like all of Bordeaux was eating out.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,535
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

@leon there’s a reply to you about Bordeaux on previous thread. Ignore my mini break term - no idea which recess of my brain that came from. Substitute for weekend, short break, anything.

Definitely do Bordeaux. It’s one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, now it’s all clean. Nice food and excellent wine (of course). Also plenty of history and culture. A really good weekend city break and so easy to reach and yet not overrun with tourists like more famous cities

And yes avoid the heat of high summer
    It's a fairly quiet town: but it's attractive, affordable and has good food. Worth a visit, but not more than a few days unless you are pushing on doing a lot of vineyards.
    Yes I agree. A really nice 3 day break. No more than that
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,077
    Scott_xP said:

@Dennynews

For clarity, the motion of no confidence has been brought against the First Minister, not his Government.

That's important as if he loses a personal motion of no confidence, it's up to the FM how he responds. It does not trigger his automatic dismissal.

Yousless could cling on in defeat :)

Surely even his brass neck could not prevent him falling on his sword in that event.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Top tip;

Don't fuck with Jason Beer about the terms of the SPM contract.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,077

DavidL said:

BREAKING: Labour has said it will back a Tory no confidence motion in First Minister Humza Yousaf. The Scottish Greens say they will meet later to discuss their position.

They'll abstain. They are completely unemployable and on a good wage which is going to end when the election comes. Abstention is enough to protect the government.

Another key player here is Ash Regan. According to WingsoverScotland she is minded to vote with the SNP giving them 64 votes (assuming Nicola turns up today). Campbell has excellent sources in Alba so that should be taken seriously. That should be enough for a tie which might be enough for the government to survive.
    The Greens are polling quite well for Holyrood elections. They would probably do a lot better at any election than the SNP would.
    Unless you forgot to put in a 'relatively' there I may have to award you the Order of the Scotchpert, 2nd Class.
    Okay. They'd still have fewer seats than the SNP after the election, but relative to their starting point they would do better. They might well hold all their seats, which would be a miraculous result for the SNP going by the current polls.
    I don't have the weird hatred of the Scottish Greens that seems to possess so many PBers, I know a few people who vote for them for perfectly valid reasons rather than the fevered motivations ascribed to them by the Herd. It's certainly possible that the SNP will lose MSPs and the Greens keep their current count but 64 is a lot of seats, 8 (if you include the presiding officer) isn't. Losing one seat for the SGs is the equivalent of eight for the SNP (both results possible in any Holyrood election).
    I voted for the Scottish Greens because I think that climate change should be a much higher priority. If there's an election because Green Party members weren't happy about climate pledges being abandoned, then I expect I'll vote for them again*.

Scottish Greens are evil twisted stupid non Green arses, how anyone of sound mind could vote for those clowns amazes me.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@ianbassin

Wow. Not backing off. Trump’s lawyer just told the Supreme Court Trump could assassinate his opponent and would still be immune from prosecution.

Trump said he could shoot someone on 5th Ave and get away with it. Now he’s asking the Supreme Court to make that so. Not a drill.

Well, as long as he did it with a US military drone that was already the case wasn't it?
  • Options
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Scottish Greens are evil twisted stupid non Green arses, how anyone of sound mind could vote for those clowns amazes me.
    We all have our quirks Malcolm.
  • Options
    @kaitlancollins

Notable moment. Justice Amy Coney Barrett asks if Trump's attorney believes he can be prosecuted for private acts. He says yes, and concedes several of the allegations in the indictment are private acts. That would essentially mean the trial could go forward at least in part.

@jimsciutto

Barrett corners Trump lawyer to admit that efforts by Trump’s private attorneys to overturn the election were private and not official acts.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,140
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

@nicolathorp_

Laurence Fox told to pay £180,000 in libel damages

Seems disproportionate, however FAFO Mr Fox, FAFO.
    Is it, though?

If believed, it's the kind of accusation that really could endanger the victim's life.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    Waterfall said:

Waterfall said:

However, we still have not had 2 consecutive quarters with declining GDP since Q2 2022.

·
    Views

No.

BREAKING: Interest rate futures are now pricing in just 1 rate cut during 2024 for the first time ever.

After a weaker than expected GDP reading but stronger than expected PCE Price Index, another rate cut was just priced-out.

In fact, interest rate futures now see a record high 20% chance of ZERO rate cuts in 2024.

Just 4 months ago, markets saw a rate cut at EVERY Fed meeting beginning in March.

Bear in mind the S&P500 is up 20% in the last six months. Also, remember that "a record 20%" means that there is an 80% chance of rate cuts this year.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,239
    Scott_xP said:

@ianbassin

Wasn't "if the president does it it's legal" a key plank of Nixon's defence too?
  • Options
    Yet another beautiful French city. Quimper. How do they do it?

No noom in that lovely cathedral tho
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,720
    Scott_xP said:

@nicolathorp_

Laurence Fox told to pay £180,000 in libel damages

After Sally Bercow and Katie Hopkins, a third reminder as to the problem of loose words.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,224
    rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

No.

Bear in mind the S&P500 is up 20% in the last six months. Also, remember that "a record 20%" means that there is an 80% chance of rate cuts this year.
    Looks like inflation is proving stickier than expected. Not a surprise. However rate rises are quite unlikely. Possible/probable 0.25% cut this year in USA and UK that's it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

No.

Interest rate futures are pricing in only 1 rate cut now. And a further spike in commodity prices could soon change that.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,239
    carnforth said:

Scott_xP said:

@ianbassin

Wasn't "if the president does it it's legal" a key plank of Nixon's defence too?
    Ah, turns out he resiled from that:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1977/06/05/president-isnt-above-the-law-nixon-insists/71923838-492f-49d7-921f-0add6743501e/
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,549
    Russia, Iran pose most aggressive threat to 2024 elections, say infoseccers
    Google security crew reveal ‘the four Ds’ to be on the watch for

https://www.theregister.com/2024/04/25/mandiant_russia_and_iran_pose/

Spoiler: DDoS attacks, data theft and leaks, disinformation, and deepfakes. Worth a read imo.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,993
    Leon said:

Despite the lack of noom, are you a happy Quimper?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,347
    Scott_xP said:

@ianbassin

Enabling Act
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,285
    Leon said:

I got there too late, and left too early, to get into the cathedral, but loved my stroll around exploring Quimper
  • Options
    Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

No.

Interest rate futures are pricing in only 1 rate cut now. And a further spike in commodity prices could soon change that.
    Wait:

Are you claiming that spike in commodity prices would lower the chances of a rate cut?

Well, it's a view.
  • Options
    @kaitlancollins

Justice Kagan asks what if the president orders the military to stage a coup? Trump attorney: "I think it would depend on the circumstances whether it was an official act," arguing Trump would have to be impeached before he could be convicted for ordering such.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,618
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

I'm still looking for the promised subtle Shakespeare reference...

It might be dun. Can TSE do it?
    Dun's inane.
    It woodn't be possible to drag Andy Burnham into this wood it?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited April 25
    Bad Al continuing to market fiction

Short video on why I am going into children’s books! Because politics matters and we need to both inform and fire up the next generation. Two books out same day in August, pre-order here including option of signed books via @Waterstones … lnkfi.re/sJJcp0

https://x.com/campbellclaret/status/1783018337410166932?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@kaitlancollins

Justice Kagan asks what if the president orders the military to stage a coup? Trump attorney: "I think it would depend on the circumstances whether it was an official act," arguing Trump would have to be impeached before he could be convicted for ordering such.

So basically, Biden can order a coup and as the Dems have a majority in the Senate he's laughing?

Where do they dig these fuckers up?

(I think, truthfully, by conceding several of these acts were private acts Trump's lawyer has already lost the case, although I suspect it will be about 2027 before we get the opinion.)
  • Options
    @kaitlancollins

Justice Kagan: "The Framers did not put an immunity clause in the Constitution."
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

I'm still looking for the promised subtle Shakespeare reference...

It might be dun. Can TSE do it?
    Dun's inane.
    It woodn't be possible to drag Andy Burnham into this wood it?
    He's not a Mac, duffer.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,916
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Despite the lack of noom, are you a happy Quimper?
    Nah, he'll be quimpering any moment now.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

@kaitlancollins

So basically, Biden can order a coup and as the Dems have a majority in the Senate he's laughing?

(I think, truthfully, by conceding several of these acts were private acts Trump's lawyer has already lost the case, although I suspect it will be about 2027 before we get the opinion.)
    You don't need a majority, just 41 Senators is enough to block a successful impeachment vote.

Plus, of course, Biden could legally order the murder of Republican Senators, so as to ensure that the Senate never has enough Republicans to impeach him.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,618
    Scott_xP said:

@ianbassin

Obviously no-one would ever argue in the UK that Rwanda was a safe country even if a civil war were going on there would they....
  • Options

Leon said:

I got there too late, and left too early, to get into the cathedral, but loved my stroll around exploring Quimper
    Quimper sounds like it should be an English word - or one of those fake answers in Call My Bluff.

What would it mean?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Scott_xP said:

@ianbassin

Obviously no-one would ever argue in the UK that Rwanda was a safe country even if a civil war were going on there would they....
    There is no argument.

The law says it's safe...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

@kaitlancollins

You don't need a majority, just 41 Senators is enough to block a successful impeachment vote.

Plus, of course, Biden could legally order the murder of Republican Senators, so as to ensure that the Senate never has enough Republicans to impeach him.
    Isn't it 34? Two-thirds majority needed.

I wonder if the Supreme Court justices might reflect that Biden could just shoot them instead...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

No.

Wait:

Are you claiming that spike in commodity prices would lower the chances of a rate cut?

Well, it's a view.
    Sure wholesale price inflation feeds through to the cpi. Commodity price spikes in 2022 started the whole rate hiking cycle.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,027
    edited April 25

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

No.

Looks like inflation is proving stickier than expected. Not a surprise. However rate rises are quite unlikely. Possible/probable 0.25% cut this year in USA and UK that's it.
    Given that mortgages are now fixed for years in both the UK and the USA, interest rates are a very blunt way to cut consumer spending. Years ago they would have had an instant impact on spending now there are people who still have a year of the very low rates available in 2020
  • Options
    More on META. Deflating the ai hype somewhat.

That $META earnings call was an absolute disaster. Zuck tried to convince his investors that AI is the future, when there's no real clear path to how it makes profit.

Then he tried to tie it into the metaverse.

At that point I bet a lot of people got PTSD, because the selling accelerated further...
    11:38 PM · Apr 24, 2024
    ·
    Views

https://x.com/Mayhem4Markets/status/1783264183129133466
  • Options
    @jimsciutto
    !!! So even if a president stages a coup, he/she would not only need to be impeached and convicted but Congress would need to pass a statute to outlaw such an act. Did I hear that right from his lawyer?
  • Options
    Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

No.

Wait:

Well, it's a view.
    Sure wholesale price inflation feeds through to the cpi. Commodity price spikes in 2022 started the whole rate hiking cycle.
    No, the rate hike cycle started with the Covid bounceback that caused dramatic labour price price increases. The commodity spike helped send the CPI higher, but if you read the Fed minutes, they were much more concerned about labour price inflation than commodity price inflation.
  • Options
    Waterfall said:

That $META earnings call was an absolute disaster. Zuck tried to convince his investors that AI is the future, when there's no real clear path to how it makes profit.

At that point I bet a lot of people got PTSD, because the selling accelerated further...
    ·
    Views

Meta stock - even after today - is up 24% this year.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    Leon said:

How doe they do it? Surrender ;-)

• Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,224
    eek said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

No.

Given that mortgages are now fixed for years in both the UK and the USA, interest rates are a very blunt way to cut consumer spending. Years ago they would have had an instant impact on spending now there are people who still have a year of the very low rates available in 2020
    Absolutely but it is central banks' main 'weapon' to use against inflation. Central banks are very nervous of a renewed acceleration in inflation and this will dictate their interest rate actions at least in the shorter term.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

@Iainmackay8

Check out the Greens but even better, check out the sign language guy 😆😆😅😅

I wonder what the collective noun is for a group of Green MSP's ?
    A "was"
  • Options
    The Trump legal arguments seem clear enough. The dictator for a day is able to do what he wants, kill who he wants, whatever he does is legal because he is the president.

What boggles the mind is that self-styled patriots who claim to be defenders of the constitution cheer this on.
  • Options
    @euanmccolm

Just saw Fergus Ewing and Kate Forbes dancing to "Hey Mickey!" in the Holyrood car park. Matching trackies, full choreography...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,916
    isam said:

Short video on why I am going into children’s books! Because politics matters and we need to both inform and fire up the next generation. Two books out same day in August, pre-order here including option of signed books via @Waterstones … lnkfi.re/sJJcp0

https://x.com/campbellclaret/status/1783018337410166932?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

I was wondering what he had to do with Leon's ongoing obsession.

I hate typeface which doesn't distinguish between capital I, lower case l and (in some, but not this instance) numeral 1...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    Adrian Newey leaves Red Bull over Horneygate.
  • Options

eek said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

No.

Absolutely but it is central banks' main 'weapon' to use against inflation. Central banks are very nervous of a renewed acceleration in inflation and this will dictate their interest rate actions at least in the shorter term.
    Interest rate rises are hurting people much more in the uk as people are on much shorter fixed term mortgages.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    German polling update:

https://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/

The Christian Democrats still riding high. Social Democrats and liberals (FDP) still in deep trouble, while Greens weathering the anti-Government swing a bit better. AfD somewhat off the boil, with the anti-immigration and pro-Russian far left BSW picking up and probably safely above the 5% hurdle (unlike the Corbynist Die Linke which they split from). The problem of forming a potential non-SPD government remains - if the AfD are off-limits, the CDU will need both Greens and FDP to get a majority, which looks unlikely.
  • Options

The Trump legal arguments seem clear enough. The dictator for a day is able to do what he wants, kill who he wants, whatever he does is legal because he is the president.

What boggles the mind is that self-styled patriots who claim to be defenders of the constitution cheer this on.

Of course what Trump hasn't considered is whilst Biden is the incumbent he is perfectly entitled to shoot Trump on 5th Avenue in the national interest. And what court would deny such an act would be in the national interest?
  • Options

Leon said:

How doe they do it? Surrender ;-)

But it is ridiculously pretty and I’ve barely even heard of it. Quimper. And I had no idea it has a quite magnificent cathedral - albeit completely noomless within

• Options
    Carnyx said:

isam said:

I was wondering what he had to do with Leon's ongoing obsession.

I hate typeface which doesn't distinguish between capital I, lower case l and (in some, but not this instance) numeral 1...
    Now add obfuscation between number 0 and upper-case O, in a situation where you have to manually copy a 24-digit password...
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963
    eek said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

No.

The impact high interest rates have isn't on consumer spending as much as it is on business spending. High cost of borrowing has had a huge impact on western economies due to gearing, companies up to the eyeballs in debt and hyper sensitive to any rise in the cost of borrowing. Net result is hiring freezes and layoffs in areas like tech jobs, management consultancy, marketing and so on - well paid white collar work is very thin on the ground, and has been for about a year now. Everyone I know is either bricking it because they're about to be laid off, or got laid off last year and either remain unemployed or have ended up in much lower paid, lower skill roles. I presume a lot of these people don't show up in the official unemployment figures because they're either living off cash reserves or have taken on lower paid work or are "freelancing" as consultants a day or two a month to keep their CVs from being empty. But it's pretty bad out there, and looks like it will remain bad for as long as interest rates remain high and companies pause investment, reduce budgets, and maintain hiring freezes.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

Oh sure but in the markets sentiment is all. Today its had a giant gap down that broke its uptrend. So you have lots of unhappy trapped longs that will feed the selling. Perhaps its a chance for Leon to buy some more.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,549
    Waterfall said:

·
    Views

Although Meta does seem to be making pots of money which it spaffs up the AI wall. It must have heard someone say AI is about to conquer the world. Zuck reads pb!
  • Options
    Waterfall said:

·
    Views

That’s so dumb. Its like saying a stock price fall in an early generating company in 1898 “deflates the electricity hype”

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,447
    Leon said:

Breach of copyright?

https://www.noom.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noom
  • Options
    This one French town - Quimper - of which I’ve scarcely heard - is likely prettier than any town in all of the USA

Europe is amazing. We must defend our magnificent civilisation
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,674
    The baby foxes appeared in the garden last week and the annual conversion of our garden into an abattoir starts again with decapitated pigeons, pheasants, squirrels and Tesco sandwich boxes (Both the foxes and I have difficulty determining what part of a sandwich box is the head). Just waiting for the lunch boxes of the children at the nearby primary school to start appearing as usual.
  • Options
    edited April 25
    MattW said:

Leon said:

Quimper sounds like it should be an English word - or one of those fake answers in Call My Bluff.

What would it mean?
    Isn't it pronounced Kim-pair?

In Chaucerian English I fear Quimper would be very rude.
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,000
    isam said:

Can't imagine many children wanting to read those!
  • Options
    AugustusCarp2AugustusCarp2 Posts: 189
    Scott_xP said:

@ianbassin

More evidence to support my theory that in Britain we have a hereditary modern President, but the Americans elect someone who has the powers of an Absolute Monarch which would astound an eighteenth century King.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

That’s so dumb. Its like saying a stock price fall in an early generating company in 1898 “deflates the electricity hype”

Well back your judgement and buy more now. You have a golden chance here.
  • Options

Leon said:

Breach of copyright?

You're an extremely peculiar chap

Everyone that's going to click on your wiki link already has. Why the incessant repeats?

You broken dirty unelected has been on the slide

How about an informative barchart of noom..
  • Options

So who is going to win the championship next? Where is he going?
  • Options

Leon said:

Breach of copyright?

Everyone that's going to click on your wiki link already has. Why the incessant repeats?

Er, because Leon thinks he's invented something new?
  • Options

Leon said:

Breach of copyright?

Something that you should perhaps work on?
  • Options

Why doesn't the government not just concede the point and instruct Trump's Presidential security to do their duty?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,983
    isam said:

"Fuck-fuck-fuckkety-fuck" said Daddy Bear
    "Fuck-fuck-fuckkety-fuck" said Mommy Bear
    "Fuck-fuck-fuckkety-fuck" said Baby Bear

And then they all had tea.
  • Options

MattW said:

Leon said:

What would it mean?

It means “confluence” in Breton, because three rivers merge here. Which gives me an excuse to post another photo of relentlessly charming Quimper

Its pronounced khhaaaaAAAMP-eeaarrr
  • Options
    Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

Oh sure but in the markets sentiment is all. Today its had a giant gap down that broke its uptrend. So you have lots of unhappy trapped longs that will feed the selling. Perhaps its a chance for Leon to buy some more.
    Absolutely, when Tesla dropped 19% on 13 January 2012, that was the sign of the beginning of the end for the stock. If you'd shortsold it then, you would be absolutely... well bankrupt.

And of course, there was 28 September 2018, another day when Tesla stock fell more than 10%. That was when we knew it was all over for Tesla.
  • Options

Leon said:

Breach of copyright?

Something that you should perhaps work on?
    Here's what experts *really* think of the Noom Diet weight loss app
  • Options

isam said:

Can't imagine many children wanting to read those!
    There are some remarkably seditious children's books that are really good. Click, Clack, Moo is a classic that I've provided for a nephew.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

So who is going to win the championship next? Where is he going?
    "Newey joins Jaguar" got reversed quickly. If he leaves RB then that's RB done. Verstappen will also leave. Helmut Marco needs to fire Horny and keep his championship-winning designer and driver.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Newey, Weinstein - All happening today !
  • Options

MattW said:

Leon said:

What would it mean?
    One hopes so.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Newey, Weinstein - All happening today !

And Trump demands the absolute presidential right to grab them by the pussy, shoot them dead, steal campaign money and confidential documents.
  • Options
    isam said:

Isn't there a fairytale or Hammer House of Horrow about a being split into Bad and Good being recombined to make the original.

Can we find Good Al from somewhere and put them through the reverse process?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,314
    eek said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

No.

Yep - grabbed a 10 year fix at 2.78 % before things went screwy. No need to stress for the next 8.5 years and time to pay over the odds to get the loan down before we need to remortgage.
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

What would it mean?
    One hopes so.
    I took a photo for you! (I’ll stop with the photos after this)

Some modern stained glass in Quimper cathedral. lt ain’t Chagall but I rather like it

• Options
    Leon said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

What would it mean?

It means “confluence” in Breton, because three rivers merge here. Which gives me an excuse to post another photo of relentlessly charming Quimper

Camp-Ear?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

Absolutely, when Tesla dropped 19% on 13 January 2012, that was the sign of the beginning of the end for the stock. If you'd shortsold it then, you would be absolutely... well bankrupt.

And of course, there was 28 September 2018, another day when Tesla stock fell more than 10%. That was when we knew it was all over for Tesla.
    Comparing TSLA in 2012 to META in 2024 is a bit silly not least the fact the market was pretty cheap in 2012 but is expensive now. Also in 2012 we had QE and zero interest rates with no inflation. But you are a wealthy man. The beauty of the market is you can buy a tonne of META now and prove me wrong.
  • Options

Leon said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

What would it mean?

Camp-Ear?
    You basically have to sound like you’re gargling mouthwash
  • Options
    @jimsciutto

Truly remarkable argument from Alito there that a president would be expected to appoint an attorney general who would reliably advise him what’s against the law given we know Trump was attempting to appoint one who agreed with his attempts to overturn the election.
  • Options
    Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

rcs1000 said:

Waterfall said:

·
    Views

Comparing TSLA in 2012 to META in 2024 is a bit silly not least the fact the market was pretty cheap in 2012 but is expensive now. Also in 2012 we had QE and zero interest rates with no inflation. But you are a wealthy man. The beauty of the market is you can buy a tonne of META now and prove me wrong.
    I bought Meta late last year for just over $300. I'm still feeling pretty smug, thank you.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,993
    edited April 25
    MattW said:

isam said:

Isn't there a fairytale or Hammer House of Horrow about a being split into Bad and Good being recombined to make the original.

Can we find Good Al from somewhere and put them through the reverse process?
    There is an Italo Calvino book called “the cloven viscount” where the titular viscount goes to war, gets split down the middle by a cannonball and his bad half returns to rule his lands and the good half is trapped under a pile of bodies and has to get back.

Was part of a trilogy of his stories with the “Non-existent Knight” who is a suit of armour who believes his is an actual knight and so because he believes it he can go and act as a knight and fight etc. the third story is “The baron in the trees” where some young noble has an argument with his father about climbing tress and vows never to come down again and ends up ruling his estate etc from the trees.

All great stories.