Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Who knew the London elite were so numerous? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,489
    edited April 23
    TimS said:

CatMan said:

Cookie said:

Walking up a mountain isn't all hard work..

Where's that, Blanche?
    About twenty miles east of Sarria in Galicia, near a village called Viduedo

I'm near the top
    When I saw the photo I assumed Lake District (UK).
    Reminds me of where I live in very exotic South Wales
    There's a look isn't there: mild, wet Western coastal hills. Rich green hillsides of grass and bracken, purple-hazed moors, thick hedgerows, well fed cattle. Similar sights to be had in Wicklow or Kerry and parts of Devon too. Makes me quite fancy visiting Northern Galicia. I've only seen Rias Baixas which is a bit drier and more Southerly looking.
    Perplexingly lush though, given I was led to believe the rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain :wink:

(first hearing that as a kid, I wondered why the rain fell mainly on the [aero]planes - seemed unlikely given the relative surface area of aeroplanes compared to Spain)
  • Options
    WaterfallWaterfall Posts: 96
    TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

"Britain Elects
    @BritainElects

If Labour wins the next election, do you think you will be better or worse off than otherwise?

Better: 27%
    Worse: 32%
    The same: 29%

via @RedfieldWilton"

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1782786827537064263

Interesting. I suppose if Labour can win the election with those sorts of low expectations then they are less likely to disappoint.

I would have expected the majority to answer "the same".
    The British are slowly adopting the attitude the russians had under communism, enjoy this year for next year will be worse. And they have the wisdom to realise no current political party can change that dynamic.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,796
    Selebian said:

Foxy said:

Selebian said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

"Britain Elects
    @BritainElects

If Labour wins the next election, do you think you will be better or worse off than otherwise?

via @RedfieldWilton"

What are the figures for the same question if the Tories win?
    Unless we have a lot of LD true-believers they should be more or less the reverse! But I suspect they wouldn't be - people answering whether they expect to be better or worse off after the election, rather than compared to the Tories winning the election.
    Not necessarily, many people might anticipate being worse off whoever wins. They are likely to be correct.
    The 'otherwise' means Labour don't win, which realistically* means the Tories win? If it was better or worse off than 'now' then I'd agree (and I do think that's probably how people are answering the question, but it's not how I read the question)

*in normal times. this time, who knows - the most plausible otherwise might be a coalition, I guess
    You are making a rather large assumption about the English comprehension skills of respondents there.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,774

CatMan said:

Cookie said:

Where's that, Blanche?

I'm near the top
    The north of Spain has the most amazing rolling green scenery - it's a complete contrast to the other 90%.
    Geographically very similar to Northern Turkey: North-facing curving coast with barrier mountain range, thin strip of very green, humid land benefiting from orographic rainfall enhancement, with dry upland plateaux on the other side of the mountains.

In that comparison the Basque country is Georgia: almost identical geographical setting and coincidentally a unique self-contained ancient culture with weird language that has somehow survived the empires that surround it.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,796
    Selebian said:

TimS said:

CatMan said:

Cookie said:

Where's that, Blanche?

I'm near the top
    There's a look isn't there: mild, wet Western coastal hills. Rich green hillsides of grass and bracken, purple-hazed moors, thick hedgerows, well fed cattle. Similar sights to be had in Wicklow or Kerry and parts of Devon too. Makes me quite fancy visiting Northern Galicia. I've only seen Rias Baixas which is a bit drier and more Southerly looking.
    Perplexingly lush though, given I was led to believe the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plains :wink:
    The rain in Spain falls mainly on the mount-ains.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

TimS said:

CatMan said:

Cookie said:

Where's that, Blanche?

I'm near the top
    Perplexingly lush though, given I was led to believe the rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain :wink:

(first hearing that as a kid, I wondered why the rain fell mainly on the [aero]planes - seemed unlikely given the relative surface area of aeroplanes compared to Spain)
    And the water in Majorca actually tastes perfectly pleasant, just as it ought to.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,489
    TimS said:

Selebian said:

TimS said:

CatMan said:

Cookie said:

Where's that, Blanche?

I'm near the top

And the water in Majorca actually tastes perfectly pleasant, just as it ought to.
    I've been grievously misled :disappointed:
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324

Mortimer said:

On topic, i've just been looking at who is left after a bad Tory GE performance (c.120 seats).

Wonder if John Redwood might be the fiscal hawk that we'd need after a Labour government reverting to its old tricks.....

Tories are in no position to lecture anyone on fiscal rectitude.
    I remember old Spock advocating Trussonomics (then called Reaganomics) shortly after his resignation and failed leadership bid. Ken Clarke absolutely wiped the floor with him in the discussion, which surprised me at the time.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,823
    Selebian said:

Foxy said:

Selebian said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

"Britain Elects
    @BritainElects

via @RedfieldWilton"

Unless we have a lot of LD true-believers they should be more or less the reverse! But I suspect they wouldn't be - people answering whether they expect to be better or worse off after the election, rather than compared to the Tories winning the election.
    Not necessarily, many people might anticipate being worse off whoever wins. They are likely to be correct.
    The 'otherwise' means Labour don't win, which realistically* means the Tories win? If it was better or worse off than 'now' then I'd agree (and I do think that's probably how people are answering the question, but it's not how I read the question)

*in normal times. this time, who knows - the most plausible otherwise might be a coalition, I guess
    Found the figures in the New Statesman article if the Cons win*.

Better off 14%
    Worse off 46%
    About the same 34%

So Labour has the lead.

*stop laughing at the back!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,990
    "Former justice of the Supreme Court, Lord Sumption, has said the government's Rwanda Bill breaches two international treaties which maintain courts challenges cannot be blocked."

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/sumption-rwanda-bill-breaches-two-172604917.html
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,913
    Selebian said:

TimS said:

CatMan said:

Cookie said:

Where's that, Blanche?

I'm near the top

But the planes are moving fast ... so yes, disproportionately on the planes in terms of rain/sq metre, compared to the plains.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@christopherhope

BREAKING 210 migrants have arrived in four small boats today in Dover, reports
    @markwhiteTV for @GBNEWS, with two more small boats on the way right now, containing as many as 100 more migrants.

So, a Rwanda full in one day. Where are they going to send tomorrow's boats?
    From the news on BBC this morning - a boat launched, was turned around by the French, came back to shore, picked up more and then launched again (no French vessel in sight). Clearly if we want to stop desperate people risking their lives crossing the channel we need to beef up the patrols (pay the French more?) but also provide a realistic route that people can claim asylum into the UK from places that these people are from. I don't think Northern France is the right place - we need to have arrangements much closer to the countries people are fleeing.

But ultimately, the real issue is that in the UK we are extremely lucky. Most of us live a life far beyond what most of the planet can ever hope to. The way to end the migrant issue is to raise the standard of living everywhere else. Much of Africa is stunning, yet also can be desperately poor. The disparity between the life of Turbotubbs in SW Wiltshire and someone from many African states is what is driving the issue.
    Oodles of cash has been sent to Africa as long as I can remember and it makes little difference, the corruption is unbridled and they seem to like shooting , raping and pillaging far too much.
    There's a wonderful book on economic growth in third world countries, that starts with the awesome line: there's only one thing worse than aid to the people of developing economies, and that's the discovery of oil.

But that doesn't mean there isn't stuff you can do that can make a real difference, such as free trade and support of democratic systems and the rule of law.
    Was that the Bottom Billion by Paul Collier? He certainly went on about the natural resource trap, all too often leading to the conflict trap.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,420
    Andy_JS said:

"Former justice of the Supreme Court, Lord Sumption, has said the government's Rwanda Bill breaches two international treaties which maintain courts challenges cannot be blocked."

Lefty lawyer who...erm checks notes... thinks it is time we left the EHRC.

• Options

Mortimer said:

On topic, i've just been looking at who is left after a bad Tory GE performance (c.120 seats).

Wonder if John Redwood might be the fiscal hawk that we'd need after a Labour government reverting to its old tricks.....

I remember old Spock advocating Trussonomics (then called Reaganomics) shortly after his resignation and failed leadership bid. Ken Clarke absolutely wiped the floor with him in the discussion, which surprised me at the time.
    He's recently discovered autarchy too, so his economic philosophy references are eclectic to say the least. Keeps banging the drum for Britain making and growing everything here.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    BBC shows about 'media' are often pretty dull, but this interview from this afternoon, with Matthew Freud, is genuinely interesting.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001yj19

Gordon Brown viewed Rupert Murdoch as a friend ?

Freud makes the sound point that the media only has power over politicians if they get too close to it. And they should not do so.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,658
    Politico.com - Republicans wince as their Ukrainian-born colleague thrashes Zelenskyy

Victoria Spartz took the GOP mantle on aiding Kyiv back in the spring. Now, her fellow lawmakers worry she’s undermining the effort.

House Republicans gave Ukraine-born Rep. Victoria Spartz a coveted platform to speak out against Russia’s war. They’re coming to regret that.

Spartz (R-Ind.), who has traveled to Ukraine a half-dozen times since the war began and spoken passionately about the conflict, shocked lawmakers in both parties recently with her intense criticisms of the country’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskyy, and his confidants. She drew a rare rebuke last weekend from the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry, which accused her of “trying to earn extra political capital on baseless speculation.”

Inside the House GOP Conference, there’s a widespread fear that her posture is damaging U.S.-Ukraine relations at the worst possible time — and that she’s being played by forces that aim to weaken the Western alliance. GOP national-security hawks also worry that the MAGA wing of their party, where there’s already resistance to supporting Ukraine, will point to Spartz’s comments as justification. . . .

The 43-year-old’s Zelenskyy-gadfly persona this summer marks a sharp turnaround from her message on March 1, when she made an impassioned and tearful plea for the Biden administration to respond more forcefully to the crisis unfolding in her motherland. As Spartz described the struggle of some family members to survive bloody Russian assaults, House GOP leaders and dozens of rank-and-file members stood behind her, dressed in blue and yellow to match Ukraine’s flag, nodding in agreement.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/15/republicans-spartz-ukraine-zelenskyy-00045949

SSI - What Politico article does NOT mention, is fact that Rep(tile) Victoria Spartz is up for renomination in May 7 Indiana GOP primary, versus a full-throated MAGA-maniac Putin-pimper.

So naturally (for her anyway) she'd decided if you might NOT beat 'em, best join 'em.

Reminds me for some reason of PB's most prominent UKR flag-waver AND Trump-fluffer.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    Disappointed nobody picked up on Bruce Springsteen reference in the previous thread.
  • Options
    WaterfallWaterfall Posts: 96
    Foxy said:

Selebian said:

Foxy said:

Selebian said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

"Britain Elects
    @BritainElects

via @RedfieldWilton"

Found the figures in the New Statesman article if the Cons win*.

Better off 14%
    Worse off 46%
    About the same 34%

So Labour has the lead.

*stop laughing at the back!
    I imagine the 14% better off are the top 3 to 5% and wealthy pensioners.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Selebian said:

TimS said:

CatMan said:

Cookie said:

Where's that, Blanche?

I'm near the top

Galicia. Peak District with added Eucalyptus. And good fish dishes.

The Camino can be very cheering. I’ve had wrinkly peasant folk foist bunches of grapes on me while walking in the morning sunshine.

And there’s a fountain of free wine.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446

Disappointed nobody picked up on Bruce Springsteen reference in the previous thread.

I did, I just didn't bother telling everyone!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

Andy_JS said:

Scott_xP said:

@christopherhope

@markwhiteTV for @GBNEWS, with two more small boats on the way right now, containing as many as 100 more migrants.

The fact remains that France is a safe country, and therefore this counts as economic migration, not asylum seeking.
    According to various human rights organisations conditions for the refugees, in France, are intolerable.

This means that France is a failed state. And they have oil.

We all know what we do with failed states, with oil, don't we, children?
    Geologically, the Paris basin and get area around Bordeaux look highly attractive for oil. Sadly, the locals probably won't be too keen.

(Iirc, a Canadian company, Vermilion, owns almost all the rights. I wouldn't be rushing to invest.)
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,615
    Andy_JS said:

There is no mechanism in existence, nor in a society with the rule of law could there be, to prevent an application to a court to decide whether or not matter X is justiciable or whether, and if so to what extent, the jurisdiction of the court has been ousted. As we shall discover unless an election intervenes. Which it may well.
  • Options

Sir Peter Hordern, backbencher under Heath and Thatcher who brought City wisdom to the House – obituary
    Firmly on the Right (but not over Europe), Hordern was an early champion of monetarism and urged the Thatcher government to be more radical
    Yet he remained an influential figure, “overlooked for simply being too clever” according to one colleague, and, for another, “the most respected backbencher never to hold office”. That respect survived a period as parliamentary adviser to the House of Fraser and Mohamed Al-Fayed during which – unlike two colleagues whose careers were destroyed – he meticulously declared payments he received.
    Hordern epitomised the informed City gent who by keeping the day job could bring keen insight to the House: never more so than when in 1965 he arrived in the Chamber to tell James Callaghan that as a result of changes the Chancellor had made to the Finance Bill, the market in gilts had come to a near-standstill for the first time since the crisis of 1931.
    After the Conservatives’ unexpected return to power in 1970, he applauded the free-market Toryism embraced by Edward Heath, Iain Macleod and Anthony Barber. Within a year he was urging the use of monetary policy to check inflation, and even before the fuel crisis and industrial chaos of late 1973 he termed Heath’s U-turn “not the most scintillating policy on which to win an election”.

That election lost, Hordern was a focus for dissatisfaction with Heath. But the party leader Margaret Thatcher, over four years in opposition, never brought him into her team. Hordern, however, floated in The Daily Telegraph a number of ideas she later implemented.

He urged the privatisation of nationalised industries, enunciating the doctrine before there was a word for it. His sole difference with the Tory Right on the economy was that he rejected tax allowances for private health care, reckoning them a signal that the NHS was “second-rate” and opening the door for parents to demand tax breaks for private education

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2024/04/23/sir-peter-hordern-fina-city-thatcher-commons-horsham/ (£££)

He was my MP when I was a kid.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Looks like the hearing on whether Trump had breached the gag order went as badly as it could have for Trump. His counsel was told that they were losing all credibility with the court, the defence were not able to identify any post that Trump's posts were supposedly responding to and the Judge was not willing to accept a submission that reposting a post was not a breach of the order.

Trump's response to all this? Well, to tweet from the Court House that the Judge should recuse himself of course. He is truly the client from hell.

The Judge has reserved judgment on the contempt but it looks inevitable that Trump will be in breach on multiple occasions. And then there is today's genius move. The prospects of Trump getting through this trial whilst on bail must surely be diminishing.

Judges will be smart to find ways of NOT granting Donald Trump his current heart's desire - to be locked up as a "martyr" for MAGA.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@christopherhope

From the news on BBC this morning - a boat launched, was turned around by the French, came back to shore, picked up more and then launched again (no French vessel in sight). Clearly if we want to stop desperate people risking their lives crossing the channel we need to beef up the patrols (pay the French more?) but also provide a realistic route that people can claim asylum into the UK from places that these people are from. I don't think Northern France is the right place - we need to have arrangements much closer to the countries people are fleeing.

But ultimately, the real issue is that in the UK we are extremely lucky. Most of us live a life far beyond what most of the planet can ever hope to. The way to end the migrant issue is to raise the standard of living everywhere else. Much of Africa is stunning, yet also can be desperately poor. The disparity between the life of Turbotubbs in SW Wiltshire and someone from many African states is what is driving the issue.
    Oodles of cash has been sent to Africa as long as I can remember and it makes little difference, the corruption is unbridled and they seem to like shooting , raping and pillaging far too much.
    There's a wonderful book on economic growth in third world countries, that starts with the awesome line: there's only one thing worse than aid to the people of developing economies, and that's the discovery of oil.

But that doesn't mean there isn't stuff you can do that can make a real difference, such as free trade and support of democratic systems and the rule of law.
    Was that the Bottom Billion by Paul Collier? He certainly went on about the natural resource trap, all too often leading to the conflict trap.
    It was indeed.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Mortimer said:

He's recently discovered autarchy too, so his economic philosophy references are eclectic to say the least. Keeps banging the drum for Britain making and growing everything here.
    Had autarchy ever been successfully implemented.

I mean, implemented in a way that didn't impoverish the population.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    TimS said:

CatMan said:

Cookie said:

Where's that, Blanche?

I'm near the top
    I was in a tourist coach passing through the Rias Baixas when one group's guide said "over there's the Albariño winery", at which a coachload of Spanish señors and señoras burst into applause.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,917
    edited April 23

"Only somebody with a fetish for sadomasochistic pain, punishment, and humiliation would want to see Liz Truss back as Tory leader/PM."

Whatever could TSE be implying?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,823
    edited April 23

TimS said:

Selebian said:

TimS said:

CatMan said:

Cookie said:

Where's that, Blanche?

I'm near the top

Galicia. Peak District with added Eucalyptus. And good fish dishes.

The Camino can be very cheering. I’ve had wrinkly peasant folk foist bunches of grapes on me while walking in the morning sunshine.

And there’s a fountain of free wine.

I sailed from Galicia to Santander in a 44 ft Moody once. Beautiful coast and lovely small towns, most of the tourists were Spanish and it was much more low key than the Costas. Often quite a sea mist in the mornings so not ideal for beach boys and girls.

A bit hairy going round Cape Ortugal as we had too much sail up and wind much stronger than forecast.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006
    edited April 23

It was so obvious. I actually misread it as "Born" being an innocent.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

Mortimer said:

Only cos it hasn’t been done properly up till now. Cometh the hour..

Apropos of nothing Autarky is dogfood.

https://www.autarkyfoods.com/
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

Mortimer said:

The current 'Tories' are as wet as you get, fiscally.

The problem is the state tries to do too much, and so consistently has to borrow.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

BBC shows about 'media' are often pretty dull, but this interview from this afternoon, with Matthew Freud, is genuinely interesting.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001yj19

Gordon Brown viewed Rupert Murdoch as a friend ?

Freud makes the sound point that the media only has power over politicians if they get too close to it. And they should not do so.

He's also absolutely scathing about the media's attempts to bounce Starmer into sacking Rayner.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

DavidL said:

Looks like the hearing on whether Trump had breached the gag order went as badly as it could have for Trump. His counsel was told that they were losing all credibility with the court, the defence were not able to identify any post that Trump's posts were supposedly responding to and the Judge was not willing to accept a submission that reposting a post was not a breach of the order.

Trump's response to all this? Well, to tweet from the Court House that the Judge should recuse himself of course. He is truly the client from hell.

The Judge has reserved judgment on the contempt but it looks inevitable that Trump will be in breach on multiple occasions. And then there is today's genius move. The prospects of Trump getting through this trial whilst on bail must surely be diminishing.

Judges will be smart to find ways of NOT granting Donald Trump his current heart's desire - to be locked up as a "martyr" for MAGA.
    It's an unenviable position - he is baiting courts to lock him up, so he can be even more a martyr to his base and hopefully get some independents think he is being hard done by, so judges are trying not to rise to the baiting.

But by not doing so they are treating him more favourably than they would other criminal defendents, even some famous ones (see Sam Bankman-Fried, who was remanded in custody ahead of trial for milder acts). He still benefits by proving blustering and moaning works to get him an easier time.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,551

rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

Mortimer said:

I read most of what Redwood puts out. His supposed calls to 'make and grow everything here' are nothing of the kind - little more than a recognition that we need to do something pay the bills, because the NHS doesn't magically pay for itself. I find it puzzling that such a concept isn't just accepted as undeniable fact, let alone mocked as somehow being eccentric.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

Mortimer said:

Hmm, soya free. And some without nasty vegan stuff. Definitely straight to the bowls of our more carnivorous PBers. Just think how convenient the granules are in the morning, basically breakfast food.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333

Opposite. I think everyone did.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

It's an unenviable position - he is baiting courts to lock him up, so he can be even more a martyr to his base and hopefully get some independents think he is being hard done by, so judges are trying not to rise to the baiting.

But by not doing so they are treating him more favourably than they would other criminal defendents, even some famous ones (see Sam Bankman-Fried, who was remanded in custody ahead of trial for milder acts). He still benefits by proving blustering and moaning works to get him an easier time.
    I agree with Sea Shanty, the man is itching to get his pair of arrow pyjamas and ball and chain, and anyone who doesn't want him to be re-elected won't give him the chance.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

Mortimer said:

Hmm, soya free. And some without nasty vegan stuff. Definitely straight to the bowls of our more carnivorous PBers. Just think how convenient the granules are in the morning, basically breakfast food.
    I met someone in the pub the other night who was investing in a dog food that used insect protein. His reasoning was that people don't want to eat it but dogs don't have the choice. I'm not sure I'd buy it for dogs either, but I nodded and smiled politely.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,899

via @RedfieldWilton
    Very low expectations which I expect is a good thing for zSKS Kabour
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

The problem is the state tries to do too much, and so consistently has to borrow.

So again - what exactly can this (or any other) Government actually cut?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,539
    Damn. Just lost a whole day's profit by fat-fingering an extra digit to the stake on a losing bet.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Were I a judge - I think you would wait until there was enough examples of a serious enough nature that you could jail him until December - and watch the Republicans try and campaign without him...
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,978

It was too subtle for us.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,517

Pilsgrim's Progress Report

Day. Steps. Km

1 . 58058 . 39.82
    2 . 60336 . 41.38
    3 . 58797 . 40.32
    4 . 48629 . 33.55

Total . 225820. 155.07

Bit disappointed by today, but I did climb about 1200 metres which makes it rather harder work! And I'm not far behind my 40 km per day target

Jeez that’s a lot of walking. I thought my 10 miles around Paris to see if it is in mortal decay (spoiler: see next week’s Gazette) was impressive

Serious question: have you done training for this? I guess your job IS training

You must love walking to do it for work and for fun!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002

Andy_JS said:

Lefty lawyer who...erm checks notes... thinks it is time we left the EHRC.

And was the most vocal critic of lockdown. Maybe he’ll become popular in the right circles again now
  • Options
    edited April 23
    GIN1138 said:

"Only somebody with a fetish for sadomasochistic pain, punishment, and humiliation would want to see Liz Truss back as Tory leader/PM."

Whatever could TSE be implying?
    I'm confused here because only a sadomasochistic would want Liz Truss back as PM but were Truss the Tory leader of the opposition (as a none Tory) I can see a lot of sadistic delight in watching the slowly drawn out outcome....
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,300

Don’t know a great deal about his music but he was excellent in an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.
  • Options
    Brittany is great fun. I can see why you’d come here on holiday if you’re prepared to risk shit weather (I wouldn’t, if it was my only family holiday - it’s also quite pricey)

Observations: it can be very bleak. Rundown towns with dying industries. Rows of post covid shuttered shops (as bad as British towns for sure)

Bretons are short dark and hairy. Not tall red haired blonde Celts. But which is the true Celtic type?!

Cornouaille really is like Cornwall. Maybe not as intensely pretty in its best spots, but with a greater sense of space and urbanity

• Options
    Hurrah for lawyers.

Three out of six are lawyers.

Six SNP MSPs rebel by abstaining on the Scottish Government's wide-ranging Victims, Witnesses, and Justice Reform Bill (juryless trials etc)

Annabelle Ewing
    Fergus Ewing
    Kate Forbes
    Christine Grahame
    Ivan McKee
    Michelle Thomson

https://twitter.com/sensiblestu/status/1782820318416941560
  • Options
    Leon said:

Day. Steps. Km

1 . 58058 . 39.82
    2 . 60336 . 41.38
    3 . 58797 . 40.32
    4 . 48629 . 33.55

Total . 225820. 155.07

Bit disappointed by today, but I did climb about 1200 metres which makes it rather harder work! And I'm not far behind my 40 km per day target

Jeez that’s a lot of walking. I thought my 10 miles around Paris to see if it is in mortal decay (spoiler: see next week’s Gazette) was impressive

I asked you if you were doing an article on "Paris to the dogs" and you flat out denied it.

Once trust has gone it's hard to get it back.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,978
    Taz said:

Don’t know a great deal about his music but he was excellent in an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.
    Well you weren't born in the USA, so it's not surprising :)
  • Options

Damn. Just lost a whole day's profit by fat-fingering an extra digit to the stake on a losing bet.

What do you mainly bet on?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Day. Steps. Km

1 . 58058 . 39.82
    2 . 60336 . 41.38
    3 . 58797 . 40.32
    4 . 48629 . 33.55

Total . 225820. 155.07

I asked you if you were doing an article on "Paris to the dogs" and you flat out denied it.

No I became inspired to write it after I’d experienced it

You thought I’d come pre-armed with an opinion. I really hadn’t. Indeed if you read my comments that day I started with an honest desire to compare the cities - london and Paris - why would I lie about that on here? Pointless

I arrived at gare du nord and it was tatty. But it always is. It was only when I went onwards that I kept finding surprising grot and then real menace

And then about hour 5 I did think: yes this is an article - but only when I’d accumulated sufficient evidence (otherwise the piece would not work)
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@christopherhope

Imagine if Charles Stuart had received development aid. Parliamentary democracy would never have happened.
  • Options
    edited April 23

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

Mortimer said:

I met someone in the pub the other night who was investing in a dog food that used insect protein. His reasoning was that people don't want to eat it but dogs don't have the choice. I'm not sure I'd buy it for dogs either, but I nodded and smiled politely.
    Perfectly normal canid dietary element in the wild, in all seriousness. You shouldn't knock it for the insect component alone.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,615
    eek said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

So again - what exactly can this (or any other) Government actually cut?
    Indeed. Government after government has discovered that once the state is into paying for something it is almost impossible to stop. Society organises itself around the expectations it creates. Tuition fees are an interesting exception, but of course the political cost to the LDs was immense.

Similarly, time after time it is discovered that 'cuts' actually means slightly reduced increases in expenditure.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,993
    Leon said:

Brittany is great fun. I can see why you’d come here on holiday if you’re prepared to risk shit weather (I wouldn’t, if it was my only family holiday - it’s also quite pricey)

Observations: it can be very bleak. Rundown towns with dying industries. Rows of post covid shuttered shops (as bad as British towns for sure)

Bretons are short dark and hairy. Not tall red haired blonde Celts. But which is the true Celtic type?!

Cornouaille really is like Cornwall. Maybe not as intensely pretty in its best spots, but with a greater sense of space and urbanity

I have spent millions of days there over my life - haven’t done the part you are in. I Mostly go to Dinan, Dinard and St Malo in the north and La Baule in the south (it’s technically Loire Atlantique now but very much considered Breton).

Dinan is a beautiful medieval river port, Dinard is a very relaxed but actually v preppy/wealthy beach town which is packed with upper class frenchies in the summer, St Malo you probs know anyway and La Baule is very smart beach resort, very few Brits etc, wealthy French for the beaches and casino. Love them all whatever the weather tbh.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Day. Steps. Km

1 . 58058 . 39.82
    2 . 60336 . 41.38
    3 . 58797 . 40.32
    4 . 48629 . 33.55

Total . 225820. 155.07

What we want in the way of proof is Leon to post a photo of one of those scooters that do a sort of reverse defecation of the merde de chien on the streets (rather reminiscent of the time reversal episode of Red Dwarf, come to think of it).
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    boulay said:

Leon said:

I have spent millions of days there over my life - haven’t done the part you are in.
    You're thousands of years old? Seems odd you haven't made it to that bit.

Hyperbole? Never heard of it.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

I have spent millions of days there over my life - haven’t done the part you are in. I Mostly go to Dinan, Dinard and St Malo in the north and La Baule in the south (it’s technically Loire Atlantique now but very much considered Breton).

Dinan is a beautiful medieval river port, Dinard is a very relaxed but actually v preppy/wealthy beach town which is packed with upper class frenchies in the summer, St Malo you probs know anyway and La Baule is very smart beach resort, very few Brits etc, wealthy French for the beaches and casino. Love them all whatever the weather tbh.
    I don’t know them at all so Oooh

How exciting to have a whole new region of France to discover! I feel like I’m starting an unexpected and highly regarded new season of the Sopranos
  • Options
    Leon said:

You could visit the Channel Islands for a couple of days.
  • Options
    edited April 23
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

How exciting to have a whole new region of France to discover! I feel like I’m starting an unexpected and highly regarded new season of the Sopranos
    I also need to get my arse to Carnac and might do it this summer as it looks bloody impressive - you will love it, bazillions of big carved stones.

Also if you are into spas they are big into their thalassotherapy spas on the coast in Brittany.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Btw I recommend this bit of Brittany too. It’s cute. It lacks the mystical intensity of Cornwall but it is nonetheless seductive

• Options
    edited April 23
    Because devolved justice is a devolved issue had HMG done this Humza Yousaf would have lost his poo.

NEW: FM @HumzaYousaf “utterly furious” UK Gov hasn’t extended legislation to pardon sub-postmasters to Scotland - accuses ministers of using Horizon victims as “political pawns”.

“Outrageous…unfair…unacceptable”

https://twitter.com/AlanJZycinski/status/1782774012822659414
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,420
    It's official. My loathing of Sunak has now surpassed that of Johnson.

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,326

Huge misjudgment by Sunak. The lure of a free flight to beautiful Rwanda (plus maybe a bit of a financial bribe) is clearly going to lead to a huge increase in the number of people seeking to arrive in small boats or even swimming across the Channel.

Sky reported from a refugee centre in Derby and every refugee there said that had they thought they were going to be sent to Rwanda they would not have come to the UK
    Your boy has had a good couple of days. His Rwanda victory and his electioneering evisceration of Starmer at a NATO press conference (which was granted, outrageous) will shift hearts and minds, and I think considerably.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,917

Why?
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,283
    Leon said:

Day. Steps. Km

1 . 58058 . 39.82
    2 . 60336 . 41.38
    3 . 58797 . 40.32
    4 . 48629 . 33.55

Total . 225820. 155.07

I've walked twelve to fifteen miles a day, five days a week, for the last year at work, which I guess is pretty good training!

I don't love the walking itself; at work it's just work, but I love walking through a country - I don't think there's a better way for me to experience it

I loved my tour of Brittany last year, my walk from Girona to Perpignan the year before, and I think I'm going to do this kind of walking holiday from now on. Until I can't

I'm considering the Pyrenean route next year, from where I hopefully finish in a few weeks, Saint Jean Pied de Port, on to Perpignan then Montpellier, to start joining bits together
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sir Peter Hordern, backbencher under Heath and Thatcher who brought City wisdom to the House – obituary
    Firmly on the Right (but not over Europe), Hordern was an early champion of monetarism and urged the Thatcher government to be more radical
    Yet he remained an influential figure, “overlooked for simply being too clever” according to one colleague, and, for another, “the most respected backbencher never to hold office”. That respect survived a period as parliamentary adviser to the House of Fraser and Mohamed Al-Fayed during which – unlike two colleagues whose careers were destroyed – he meticulously declared payments he received.
    Hordern epitomised the informed City gent who by keeping the day job could bring keen insight to the House: never more so than when in 1965 he arrived in the Chamber to tell James Callaghan that as a result of changes the Chancellor had made to the Finance Bill, the market in gilts had come to a near-standstill for the first time since the crisis of 1931.
    After the Conservatives’ unexpected return to power in 1970, he applauded the free-market Toryism embraced by Edward Heath, Iain Macleod and Anthony Barber. Within a year he was urging the use of monetary policy to check inflation, and even before the fuel crisis and industrial chaos of late 1973 he termed Heath’s U-turn “not the most scintillating policy on which to win an election”.

That election lost, Hordern was a focus for dissatisfaction with Heath. But the party leader Margaret Thatcher, over four years in opposition, never brought him into her team. Hordern, however, floated in The Daily Telegraph a number of ideas she later implemented.

He urged the privatisation of nationalised industries, enunciating the doctrine before there was a word for it. His sole difference with the Tory Right on the economy was that he rejected tax allowances for private health care, reckoning them a signal that the NHS was “second-rate” and opening the door for parents to demand tax breaks for private education

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2024/04/23/sir-peter-hordern-fina-city-thatcher-commons-horsham/ (£££)

He was my MP when I was a kid.
    I have a distant memory that he won the largest numerical Tory majority at the 1983 election.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

I also need to get my arse to Carnac and might do it this summer as it looks bloody impressive - you will love it, bazillions of big carved stones.

Also if you are into spas they are big into their thalassotherapy spas on the coast in Brittany.
    Spoiler: it’s not. Carnac and pont aven are the only bits of Brittany I’ve been before

Carnac is weirdly crap. I dunno why but it is and I love megaliths. There is no spirituality. Think of Callanish or Avebury or Grey Wethers - they all have an intensity

Carnac feels like megaliths by committee. It doesn’t help that it is surrounded by housing in that sprawling French way (ie pleasant but boring)

I am actually on the hunt for resonant Breton megaliths for my article so if you know any please tell! I hear there might be some at the end of the crozon peninsula
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Small stones in Carnac, but many, many acres of them
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Horses.
  • Options
    edited April 23
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Day. Steps. Km

1 . 58058 . 39.82
    2 . 60336 . 41.38
    3 . 58797 . 40.32
    4 . 48629 . 33.55

Total . 225820. 155.07

You thought I’d come pre-armed with an opinion. I really hadn’t. Indeed if you read my comments that day I started with an honest desire to compare the cities - london and Paris - why would I lie about that on here? Pointless

I arrived at gare du nord and it was tatty. But it always is. It was only when I went onwards that I kept finding surprising grot and then real menace

And then about hour 5 I did think: yes this is an article - but only when I’d accumulated sufficient evidence (otherwise the piece would not work)
    Ok plausible, I suppose. It wouldn't have been lying anyway. More just inhabiting the part. Which we all do to varying degrees.

(had to edit that because I'd missed out the final full stop)
  • Options

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

It’s disappointing isn’t it? I got zero vibes from Carnac and I was super receptive
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,673

Leon said:

Day. Steps. Km

1 . 58058 . 39.82
    2 . 60336 . 41.38
    3 . 58797 . 40.32
    4 . 48629 . 33.55

Total . 225820. 155.07

I've walked twelve to fifteen miles a day, five days a week, for the last year at work, which I guess is pretty good training!

I don't love the walking itself; at work it's just work, but I love walking through a country - I don't think there's a better way for me to experience it

I loved my tour of Brittany last year, my walk from Girona to Perpignan the year before, and I think I'm going to do this kind of walking holiday from now on. Until I can't

I'm considering the Pyrenean route next year, from where I hopefully finish in a few weeks, Saint Jean Pied de Port, on to Perpignan then Montpellier, to start joining bits together
    Very impressive @BlancheLivermore . I find walking is too slow for me to see stuff and a car too fast, hence the bike for my trips. The bike is also good for seeing wildlife.
  • Options
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Spoiler: it’s not. Carnac and pont aven are the only bits of Brittany I’ve been before

Carnac is weirdly crap. I dunno why but it is and I love megaliths. There is no spirituality. Think of Callanish or Avebury or Grey Wethers - they all have an intensity

Carnac feels like megaliths by committee. It doesn’t help that it is surrounded by housing in that sprawling French way (ie pleasant but boring)

I am actually on the hunt for resonant Breton megaliths for my article so if you know any please tell! I hear there might be some at the end of the crozon peninsula
    Great. I now don’t have to go there which is a nice time saver. Shame though as always looks interesting. Definitely check out La Baule, Dinard, and Dinan. La B is like the south of France without the wankers.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Day. Steps. Km

1 . 58058 . 39.82
    2 . 60336 . 41.38
    3 . 58797 . 40.32
    4 . 48629 . 33.55

Total . 225820. 155.07

Ok plausible, I suppose. It wouldn't have been lying anyway. More just inhabiting the part. Which we all do to varying degrees.
    I readily confess I seek out stories. But I don’t invent them from broad cloth let alone go somewhere intent on proving a contentious opinion. That’s not how it works, it would be like you the accountant starting with a taxable sum of annual income then afterwards trying to get the real income to fit that. You’d either end up lying or looking a fool and you’d soon lose your job

And remember, I am LITERALLY the “Jay Rayner of Place”
  • Options
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

There's a mega monolith at Dol de Bretagne near St Malo

I saw it and understood Obelix
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Horses.
    Ah ok. A view on Troy v Rosalion in the 2G?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,300
    viewcode said:

Taz said:

Well you weren't born in the USA, so it's not surprising :)
    True. Baby, I was born to run.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387

Hurrah for lawyers.

Six SNP MSPs rebel by abstaining on the Scottish Government's wide-ranging Victims, Witnesses, and Justice Reform Bill (juryless trials etc)

Annabelle Ewing
    Fergus Ewing
    Kate Forbes
    Christine Grahame
    Ivan McKee
    Michelle Thomson

The name that matters there is Kate Forbes. That is a declaration of war.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,010
    The judge needs to give Trump a final warning . Any further breaches of the gag order will result in jail time .
  • Options
    edited April 23
    boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Great. I now don’t have to go there which is a nice time saver. Shame though as always looks interesting. Definitely check out La Baule, Dinard, and Dinan. La B is like the south of France without the wankers.
    It’s still worth seeing just as a box ticker and because of its scale - I guess - but don’t expect to be emotionally moved. Tres suburban

Context is all for megaliths. Here is a stone row I found in Ireland and it nearly made me cry

That’s the Uragh configuration. Magnificent. Four lonely stones staring at a forlorn and poetic lough

I wonder if the relative bleakness of the British Isles makes them better for megaliths. Much of France is “nice”. Much of Brittany is “nice”. You don’t want fucking niceness in a Neolithic monument. You want the sense some Druid might turn you into amber and tear out your spleen to make a purse for angel’s teeth
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,571
    GIN1138 said:

Why?
    All the lies, none of the entertaining charm. Which may have been a facade, but it was a real fascade.

Sunak can't be bothered, or isn't capable, of giving us even that.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Re: your 2nd paragrah

1. Personally do NOT give a blind fiddler's final farewell fuck; note that prior to trying to overturn his 2020 election defeat, Donald Trump ALWAYS got an easier time from courts that John or Jane Doe.

2. As for Bankman-Fraud (sp?) well he had advantages that DJT did not namely not one but TWO parents who are Stanford (Junior) Law School professor; thus he had LESS excuse for not knowing potential legal consequences of HIS gross criminality.
  • Options
    "Clever move to have Pecker up first, legal expert says"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-68848464
  • Options
    edited April 23
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Horses.
    I do not really have one but...

When Ballydoyle/Coolmore have a really good one, they tell you, and they've told everyone about City of Troy. I would be slightly cautious though that sometimes the Guineas can be a draw race (code for I missed the price and he is odds-on). Of course, Hannon is hopeful too about Rosallion. Sorry.

ETA I did tip one horse and one winner on pb, in a race sponsored by then PBer antifrank. Temperamentally though, I cannot tip as I hate to lose other people's money so end up qualifying every statement.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,085
    Waterfall said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

She could be amusing as LoTo, as long as she was nowhere near the levers of power.

The Cons look like they might take a loony turn in opposition - better that they do it with someone in no danger of getting them elected, learn the hard lessons (maybe, this time) and then choose someone competent.

That would be a great theory, if the advent of Sunak and Hunt hadn't put the myth of managerial 'dull competence' being the answer to anything to bed for good.
    I don't consider Sunak competent.

(I also wouldn't consider Hunt a good leader, although he might have been among the better choices in a bad field)
    That's because he isn't competent. Nor was Cameron, though obviously he was better than Sunak. You don't have to actually be competent to attract the ardour of the dull competence lovers, you have to be a statist, managerialist, technocrat, fond of 'modernising the party', with a blue rosette and a plummy accent but the sandal-wearing soul of a Lib-Dem. They are the types of people 'one needs to win elections' according to your theory, except of course when they don't.
    James o Brien was pretty scathing of Cameron in his recent book. Lets face it if Cameron hadnt gone to Eton he would likely
    be working in a provincial estate agents office.
    So the fees were a good investment?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454
    DavidL said:

Hurrah for lawyers.

Annabelle Ewing
    Fergus Ewing
    Kate Forbes
    Christine Grahame
    Ivan McKee
    Michelle Thomson

The name that matters there is Kate Forbes. That is a declaration of war.
    I find it interesting that her approach to winning the leadership is to be pretty confrontational. The SNP, since Sturgeon took over, has been wedded to a weird kind of authoritarian progressivism. Forbes is signalling she will have none of it and would kick the table over given a chance.
    There must be quite a hunt on in the SNP establishment for a credible Yousaf successor wedded to their orthodoxies. But is there one?
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Day. Steps. Km

1 . 58058 . 39.82
    2 . 60336 . 41.38
    3 . 58797 . 40.32
    4 . 48629 . 33.55

Total . 225820. 155.07

I readily confess I seek out stories. But I don’t invent them from broad cloth let alone go somewhere intent on proving a contentious opinion. That’s not how it works, it would be like you the accountant starting with a taxable sum of annual income then afterwards trying to get the real income to fit that. You’d either end up lying or looking a fool and you’d soon lose your job

Well you do get bent accountants (even chartered) but ethical standards are higher there than in journalism. So I don't know. Fact is, you will know that only certain 'takes' get published so there'll be pressure to come up with one of those. Way of the world. Don't expect you to fight it. Bills to pay etc.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,134
    TRUSS
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

It’s disappointing isn’t it? I got zero vibes from Carnac and I was super receptive
    Try the Outer Hebrides. Or at any rate the Uists. There are prehistoric monuments dotted around but you need to tramp across the moors with compass and OS map to find them. Very rewarding when you do. Last time I did that the only company I had was a golden eagle. Its a remarkable landscape.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Why?
    All the lies, none of the entertaining charm. Which may have been a facade, but it was a real fascade.

Sunak can't be bothered, or isn't capable, of giving us even that.
    Boris Johnson is somewhat reminiscent of New York City's all-time favorite rogue-Mayor, Jimmy Walker.

Who was portrayed by Bob Hope in the pseudo-bio-pic "Beau James".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFkdb8OiHwQ

Jimmy Walker was VERY charming (far more so than BoJo) which was his major asset to Tammany Hall. Also lazy, letcherous, sloppy (though not in Johnson's league) and brought down by his own wretched excesses.

However, Walker showed WAY more personal courage, character and . . . wait for it . . . honesty (sorta) dealing with HIS downfall, than Johnson has done dealing with his.

Unless you think flying from Santo Domingo to Caracas for "let's make a deal" BoJo-style, is a profile in courage, character and/or honesty?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Horses.
    I do not really have one but...

When Ballydoyle/Coolmore have a really good one, they tell you, and they've told everyone about City of Troy. I would be slightly cautious though that sometimes the Guineas can be a draw race (code for I missed the price and he is odds-on). Of course, Hannon is hopeful too about Rosallion. Sorry.

ETA I did tip one horse and one winner on pb, in a race sponsored by then PBer antifrank. Temperamentally though, I cannot tip as I hate to lose other people's money so end up qualifying every statement.
    I'm on both antepost so I'm hoping they both live up to the hype and duel it out way clear of the rest.

Coolmore do sometimes overhype as well. Eg Paddington.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@christopherhope

Statistically, having been colonised by the Portuguese, Spanish, Belgians, French or British is probably worse than either of those things.

It's not as though S Korea and Taiwan never received foreign aid when they were developing counties...
  • Options

Waterfall said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

She could be amusing as LoTo, as long as she was nowhere near the levers of power.

The Cons look like they might take a loony turn in opposition - better that they do it with someone in no danger of getting them elected, learn the hard lessons (maybe, this time) and then choose someone competent.

That would be a great theory, if the advent of Sunak and Hunt hadn't put the myth of managerial 'dull competence' being the answer to anything to bed for good.
    I don't consider Sunak competent.

(I also wouldn't consider Hunt a good leader, although he might have been among the better choices in a bad field)
    That's because he isn't competent. Nor was Cameron, though obviously he was better than Sunak. You don't have to actually be competent to attract the ardour of the dull competence lovers, you have to be a statist, managerialist, technocrat, fond of 'modernising the party', with a blue rosette and a plummy accent but the sandal-wearing soul of a Lib-Dem. They are the types of people 'one needs to win elections' according to your theory, except of course when they don't.
    James o Brien was pretty scathing of Cameron in his recent book. Lets face it if Cameron hadnt gone to Eton he would likely
    be working in a provincial estate agents office.
    So the fees were a good investment?
    But not for us.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Day. Steps. Km

1 . 58058 . 39.82
    2 . 60336 . 41.38
    3 . 58797 . 40.32
    4 . 48629 . 33.55

Total . 225820. 155.07

Well you do get bent accountants (even chartered) but ethical standards are higher there than in journalism. So I don't know. Fact is, you will know that only certain 'takes' get published so there'll be pressure to come up with one of those. Way of the world. Don't expect you to fight it. Bills to pay etc.
    That prompts me to remember this story.

https://www.honest-broker.com/p/what-is-really-inside-the-briefcase
    ..I’m reminded of a favorite passage in a David Foster Wallace story, when a burnt-out young man—he describes himself as a wastoid—is shaken out of his complacency by (of all people) an accounting professor.

This teacher berates his students, demanding that they aspire to heroism—but “not heroism as you might know it from films or the tales of childhood. . . . The truth is that the heroism of your childhood entertainments was not true valor. It was theater.”

Grown-ups, he continues, must learn what real heroism is. The professor goes on to define it—in a way that both unsettled and inspired me when I first read it:

“Welcome to the world of reality—there is no audience. No one to applaud, to admire. No one to see you. Do you understand? Here is the truth—actual heroism receives no ovation, entertains no one. . . . True heroism is minutes, hours, weeks, year upon year of the quiet, precise, judicious exercise of probity and care—with no one there to see and cheer. This is the world.”

The ‘wastoid protagonist eventually finds fulfillment as a Certified Public Account working for the IRS...