Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

My apologies to the Turnip Taliban – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,690
edited April 28 in General
My apologies to the Turnip Taliban – politicalbetting.com

“This might be a bit of a tough interview. Better get absolutely shitfaced before I go on air.” pic.twitter.com/i85tIzwKqa

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303
    edited April 16
    With Liz Truss, she's more an Open Office person.

Kudos to the PCP for so hurriedly making her an Out of Office.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820

Barak Ravid
    @BarakRavid
    British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak told Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu in a phone call on Tuesday that a significant escalation with Iran was in no one's interest and would only deepen insecurity in the Middle East. "This was a moment for calm heads to prevail," he said according to a statement by the British Prime Minister's office

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1780300462824034601

Once again showing he's not fit for office.

Tony Blair wouldn't have been so pissweak.
    Quite the opposite

'Blessed are the peacemakers' and he is in line with all the G7 leaders plus Saudi and Jordan

You seem intent on a catastrophic Middle Eastern war which is doing you no favours
    Biggest warmonger on the site whether israel or russia ukraine.
    Wrong. I advocate the conquest of France & Russia on regular basis.
    With our military capabilities I'm not sure we could take the Isle of Man, never mind France or Russia, even though the UK is responsible for military defence of Man.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345
    edited April 16
    Second like the Tories
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,502
    The sign of having awesome amounts of modesty is admitting when you get it wrong, the opening to this thread is a masterpiece in that field.
  • Options

The sign of having awesome amounts of modesty is admitting when you get it wrong, the opening to this thread is a masterpiece in that field.

You remind me of the man who when asked if it would be hard to keep his new year's resolution to be less conceited, replied 'not for somebody as brilliant as me.'
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828
    Just as you think TRUSS can't get any more stupid or mad, she steps up another level on the bonkers scale... 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    edited April 16
    Truss is a fascinating individual. She rose quickly through the ranks and held high office across a succession of different PMs, and after crashing and burning as PM she kept pretty quiet for quite some time, in what was probably the most dignified way to approach such a humiliation. The very fact of serving under several different leaders easily suggests political flexibility, and yet pretty out of the blue she seems to have pivoted to full on Maga/Reform booster.

What is behind such a shift? Even accounting for career climbing flexibility it seems a remarkable shift, and it isn't necessary to go full Trump to play the right wing candidate in a post election Tory party, so why go that way?
  • Options

Second like the Tories

*Raises eyebrows*

Never knew you would ramp the LibDems so much, Sunil. Have they promised free train transport for all?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,478
    She’s gone off the deep end. I think some of this is a coping mechanism to deal with the fact she can’t handle that she was terrible at the job.

The unintended consequence of this being that she is embarrassing herself even more.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Second like the Tories

*Raises eyebrows*

Never knew you would ramp the LibDems so much, Sunil. Have they promised free train transport for all?
    Well, young Liz was a LibDem after all :lol:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

You remind me of the man who when asked if it would be hard to keep his new year's resolution to be less conceited, replied 'not for somebody as brilliant as me.'
    So many people quote Robert Picard to me.

I always thought you needed a little humiliation. Or was it humility? Either would do.
  • Options
    StonehengeStonehenge Posts: 80
    Strong words.

ZELENSKY TO U.S: WHAT YOU DID FOR ISRAEL - WHY NOT THE SAME FOR UKRAINE?

🇺🇸BLINKEN: IRAN IS NOT RUSSIA.

ZELENSKY:
    "I can tell you frankly that we have no chance of winning without US support.

You need to be much stronger than your enemy.

Today, our artillery ratio is 1-10. Can we hold our ground?
    No.

With this artillery ratio, they'll be pushing us back every day.

To defend 100% of what's in our control, we must go from 1-10 to 10-10."

Source: PBS News Hour

https://x.com/MarioNawfal/status/1780310689929646112
  • Options

WillG said:

Ratters said:

GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

Barak Ravid
    @BarakRavid
    British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak told Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu in a phone call on Tuesday that a significant escalation with Iran was in no one's interest and would only deepen insecurity in the Middle East. "This was a moment for calm heads to prevail," he said according to a statement by the British Prime Minister's office

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1780300462824034601

If someone decided to fire 300 missiles and drones to us or USA would we be expected to "keep calm and carry on" ?
    We didn't; we helped shoot them down.
    Yes, but whether they were shot down or landed on their targets, there would be a singiifcant response against the country staging the attack, wouldn't there?

Particularly is it was America that was attacked.
    If it was America that was attacked, the Mullahs would be gone by now.
    True, but the difference here is that, while Israel is strong, I do not think is it powerful enough to defeat the Iranian regime in Iran without direct US involvement (and probably leadership).

That puts them at the mercy of a third party nation wanting to take part in another major war in the Middle East far from home. That won't be politically popular in either party.
    Also, the United States isn't actively in the middle of colonizing land in the region for a perpetual occupation. Once Israel stops doing that, we can be a bit more willing to help.
    Isn't the colonisation of land for a perpetual occupation the way that the USA was created?
    As I recall the continent was just a big empty space with a sign saying 'USA: coming soon by God' written on it when the european settlers arrived. Fortunately the few native peoples restricted themselves to the worst areas of land for some reason, and the rest was up for grabs.

Coming to a Florida textbook soon.
  • Options
    Con have got to find a way of getting rid of her. She'll just be the gift that keeps on giving... for Labour.

There must be something in the Conservative Party's constitution that says you can be deselected from your constituency if you're proven to be insane?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312
    it's just a shame that it'll take major splits in the vote in her seat or a tory apocalypse for her to lose her seat.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472
    kle4 said:

Truss is a fascinating individual. She rose quickly through the ranks and held high office across a succession of different PMs, and after crashing and burning as PM she kept pretty quiet for quite some time, in what was probably the most dignified way to approach such a humiliation. The very fact of serving under several different leaders easily suggests political flexibility, and yet pretty out of the blue she seems to have pivoted to full on Maga/Reform booster.

What is behind such a shift? Even accounting for career climbing flexibility it seems a remarkable shift, and it isn't necessary to go full Trump to play the right wing candidate in a post election Tory party, so why go that way?

Of the panoply of interviews, the Farage one is probably the most revealing on her political journey.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited April 16
    TRUSS endorsing Trump - If he does indeed become POTUS he'll be in charge of 50 States, which is one more than the number of days Loopy Lizzy was PM for!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    Truss is basically an uber libertarian, probably more at home with ultra small state conservative DC think tanks than farmers in her Norfolk constituency
  • Options
    edited April 16
    GIN1138 said:

Con have got to find a way of getting rid of her. She'll just be the gift that keeps on giving... for Labour.

There must be something in the Conservative Party's constitution that says you can be deselected from your constituency if you're proven to be insane?

The Officers of the [Constituency] Association may move before the Executive Council the suspension or termination of membership of the Association of any member whose declared opinions or conduct shall, in their judgement, be inconsistent with the objects or financial well-being of the Association or be likely to bring the Party into disrepute. Similarly, the Officers may move the refusal of membership of the Association for the same reasons. Following such a motion, the Executive Council may by a majority vote suspend, terminate or refuse membership for the same reason

I should think that is a very high bar to reach, given who makes up most associations. When party memberships are so low it's only weirdos who remain, just of different levels.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Truss is basically an uber libertarian, probably more at home with ultra small state conservative DC think tanks than farmers in her Norfolk constituency

What uber libertarian policies has she proposed/pursued?
  • Options
    edited April 16
    HYUFD said:

Was she always so? Even running to succeed Boris she simultaneously ran on a platform of there shouldn't have been a change from Boris, and we needed massive change from Boris's policies, so I'm not really clear on how much she really believes, and how much is building a brand for future career prospects (which is not an unsound move given the party's position).

I assume her economic stance at least is pretty sincere, given she was so keen she moved too quickly and recklessly to enact them. But socially I'm not sure I've seen all that much.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    The most successful thing Truss did in her time as PM was attend a funeral.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    kle4 said:

The job of a (successful) Conservative leader is to unite the various wings of the party.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,262
    Yep. She appeared to be at least half cut.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,041

The most successful thing Truss did in her time as PM was attend a funeral.

The least successful was cause a funeral?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,455
    ydoethur said:

Let's be fair. She could have been a compelling character in The Office. Maybe as a Brent replacement.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

The job of a (successful) Conservative leader is to unite the various wings of the party.
    Uniting wings is such a 20th century democratic political goal. Nowadays it's all about hating the other wings of your own party so much they are seen as more of an enemy than your opponents, whilst also, when in charge, whinging that factions do not just sit there like a meek little greek chorus.

See it in left and right - more intolerant of internal dissent (not that any leader ever liked it), and monotony more rigorously enforced. At least Truss is making things more interesting I suppose.
  • Options
    StonehengeStonehenge Posts: 80
    kle4 said:

Money and adulation from MAGA in the states. Maybe thats all there is to it. She wants to be admired.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082

Strong words.

ZELENSKY:

No.

From the beginning, Biden accepted Russia's framing that direct intervention to help Ukraine would mean World War III.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,500
    GIN1138 said:

According to these guys, it's quite simple;

https://conservativepost.co.uk/calling-conservative-party-members-deselect-your-mp-if-theyre-not-being-conservative-enough/

Just need ten percent of the membership.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312
    Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

Let's be fair. She could have been a compelling character in The Office. Maybe as a Brent replacement.
    she's more 'clippy the paperclip'
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,022
    GIN1138 said:

They say genius is close to madness Gin.
  • Options
    edited April 16

ydoethur said:

So many people quote Robert Picard to me.

I always thought you needed a little humiliation. Or was it humility? Either would do.
    "If Picard can "baldly" go, why not Picardo?"
  • Options
    edited April 16

Strong words.

ZELENSKY:

No.

2024 will be the year Ukraine is forced by circumstances to accept a 'ceasefire', which will become as permanent as Crimea and the Donbas ending up being. A year ago the West still cared enough to realise that and try to prevent it. Now? Not so much. A legacy of the counterattack last year not working out well dispiriting allies, combined with the GOP in particular throwing spanners into the works?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637

kle4 said:

Money and adulation from MAGA in the states. Maybe thats all there is to it. She wants to be admired.
    Rednecks paying ten bucks a head to see her giving a talk?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,854
    She wants to abolish the Supreme Court. Not just leave the European Court. Not just abolish the HRA. But leave the UK Supreme Court as well. I think the only remaining step is to abolish the Senate and send Tarkin in with that new toy he keeps banging on about. ☹️

https://x.com/TheSun/status/1779856171916029979#m
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Yes... but unfortunately in her case she's just mad (and thick)
  • Options
    viewcode said:

She wants to abolish the Supreme Court. Not just leave the European Court. Not just abolish the HRA. But leave the UK Supreme Court as well. I think the only remaining step is to abolish the Senate and send Tarkin in with that new toy he keeps banging on about. ☹️

Well, it's not as though the Supreme Court is some ancient institution or something, but I'm not really clear why it would help her cause. Listen to people like Jolyon Maugham and they reckon the current Supreme Court is supine towards government and not standing up to it enough, and would judicial functions being exercised through the Lords again suddenly stop legal challenges or something?
  • Options
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,269
    edited April 16
    The 2014 cheese moment was when I knew TRUSS was a little bit, erm, unusual

https://youtu.be/UFNRUuBARM4

The signs were there
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,675
    HYUFD said:

True, but then Trump isn't libertarian. Her Trump support is telling.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

TRUSS.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

How on earth did the Tory members choose this to be PM? I mean, I know the alternative was Sunak and we all see how that has worked out, but jeez.

I think she is genuinely unwell.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Trump Media loses 2/3rd of its value - $66 to $22 today.

Truss blames the Bank of England.....
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360
    edited April 16
    This is a dead cat thread. Yes Truss is bonkers but she is so last year.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,330
    edited April 16
    DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

How on earth did the Tory members choose this to be PM? I mean, I know the alternative was Sunak and we all see how that has worked out, but jeez.

You have to wonder

https://twitter.com/DachshundColin/status/1780279144607293454?t=Mrw8Fzk2uV3MTqDiXcMeUQ&s=19

Sorry - it seems to have been posted already
  • Options

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

You have to wonder

https://twitter.com/DachshundColin/status/1780279144607293454?t=Mrw8Fzk2uV3MTqDiXcMeUQ&s=19
    Actually, the alternative was Mordaunt if a handful of MPs hadn't been twats.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Strong words.

ZELENSKY:

No.

2024 will be the year Ukraine is forced by circumstances to accept a 'ceasefire', which will become as permanent as Crimea and the Donbas ending up being. A year ago the West still cared enough to realise that and try to prevent it. Now? Not so much. A legacy of the counterattack last year not working out well dispiriting allies, combined with the GOP in particular throwing spanners into the works?
    I think it's simpler than that. It's all the Republicans and Trump's personal antipathy.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

How on earth did the Tory members choose this to be PM?
    Tactical votes saw her beat out Penny for the final two.

All would have been well with Penny.

Some now believe at any rate.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

Too Crude.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Hard to imagine it could have been as bad as it was with Truss.

Sunak has been underwhelming, but it's difficult to avoid the conclusion that one reason why he's been poor is he inherited such an utter mess after both of his predecessors had caused major crises through arrant stupidity.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Well, they can't have been worse.
  • Options
    edited April 16
    We all know the right choice of leader was not Truss, it was Rehman Chishti.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,269

Not according to her though.

And every time she pops up, ably supported by Charles Moore et. al, it reminds all the British people why we won’t trust the tories with the keys to No.10 for at least another decade.

She is the gift that keeps on giving.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Well, it's not as though the Supreme Court is some ancient institution or something, but I'm not really clear why it would help her cause. Listen to people like Jolyon Maugham and they reckon the current Supreme Court is supine towards government and not standing up to it enough, and would judicial functions being exercised through the Lords again suddenly stop legal challenges or something?
    I may be wrong, but I think she wants to get rid of the concept, not just move it back to being the Law Lords. As in no separation of the judicial and the executive. I figure if she's going to do that I want the full outstretched arms cropped hair Servalan maximum power pose, not just whining on LBC whilst tiddly.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,205
    Liz Truss is little more than a figure of fun 😂😂😂😂😂

https://x.com/sobloodyshy/status/1780307936209773017?s=61
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030

HYUFD said:

She is anti civil service, wants to slash taxes and the size of the state and is socially very liberal on most issues
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Sunak has been underwhelming, but it's difficult to avoid the conclusion that one reason why he's been poor is he inherited such an utter mess after both of his predecessors had caused major crises through arrant stupidity.
    I am toying with the idea of doing a thread comparing Sunak to Hideki Tojo.

I just haven't worked out who is Hirohito, Truss or Johnson.

Or who is MacArthur who ensured all the guilt was placed on Tojo to save Hirohito.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

That is definitely part of it, and there is probably something in that the mere fact of the Truss ousting wrecked the Tory party reputation both with its own members and the public.

But it doesn't answer for just how bad he has proven to be, the whole point of him was to stabilise things and then rebuild a bit, and he's not even managed that. Had Truss dropped just 5% less in the polls she might still be there, and recovered to a similar degree, and one wonders if she would be going down the political path she now is.
  • Options

The Second Coming of Truss is upon us. Strike out the lights. Silence the bells. Look to the heavens.

Mother Mary is back. And this time, she will be heard.
  • Options
    edited April 16

Trump Media loses 2/3rd of its value - $66 to $22 today...

Achilles, meet the tortoise... 😎
  • Options

Well the morning thread is literally shit.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,041
    DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

The formative event of her career was Brexit, and her friends say the lesson she took from it – having reluctantly backed remain only after concluding that leaving was too risky – was that she should take more risks. Why not, when it was clearly now possible to pitch your tent well beyond whatever expert consensus considered reasonable and be lionised instead of punished – not only by your parliamentary colleagues, but also by the rightwing press and a good chunk of the voting public? The so-called establishment – broadly defined as anyone in public or commercial life unwilling to come along for the ideological ride – might still think your ideas were barking. But the moral of post-Brexit British politics and of Donald Trump’s rise to power was that they could be cowed into going along with it, just so long as you were popular. If the people believed, the experts would just have to find ways through whatever mess you’d made. (Or failing that, they could be sacked, as Truss writes that she considered doing to the Office for Budget Responsibility.) And while everyone in politics to some extent sensed that change, only Truss had the energy and ideological tunnel vision to really push it to the limit.

That Johnson could become and remain prime minister in defiance of everything his colleagues knew about his flaws must have only underlined the feeling that anything was possible. No wonder she wasn’t deterred when her own political agent told her it would be best if she didn’t actually win the leadership contest. No wonder, even now, that she still seems puzzled that it went wrong for her and not for a resurgent Trump, Nigel Farage, Suella Braverman or anyone else who would be a disaster if actually unleashed.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    Interesting that she says only the London elite were interested in whether she lasted longer than a lettuce.

Correct me if I am wrong but it was the Daily Star that set that gag up.

Widely read by the denizens of the club and wine bars of North London.
  • Options

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

You have to wonder

PM4PM - What might have been... 😢
  • Options
    Apparently they've managed to select 6 jurors so far for the Trump trial. Not bad for day 2 when most of the first day was motions and other stuff. 12 more to pick (including alternates).

Conviction of a felony certainly not guaranteed in this case, even if they accept the facts of the records fraud he engaged in which seems pretty solid.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430
    Heathener said:

Not according to her though.

And every time she pops up, ably supported by Charles Moore et. al, it reminds all the British people why we won’t trust the tories with the keys to No.10 for at least another decade.

She is the gift that keeps on giving.
    I'm not sure. We political nerds see Liz Truss popping up all over the place for hour-long interviews but most people do not watch more than one of these channels, if they watch any at all. We might think she is crazy to want to abolish the Supreme Court, for example, but most people will not even hear it.

Truss has Mrs Thatcher's flaw of believing Washington is behind her, ignoring what the President (or Trump in this case) actually says and does.

Her strange, almost French, speaking pattern seems to be returning as well.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714
    edited April 16
    We now know how many libertarians there are in the HoC. 67.

George Galloway was one of them.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2024-04-16/division/D1D5C2F0-550F-4E63-9CA6-6AE196CC8D9E/TobaccoAndVapesBill?outputType=Names
  • Options

Interesting that she says only the London elite were interested in whether she lasted longer than a lettuce.

Correct me if I am wrong but it was the Daily Star that set that gag up.

Widely read by the denizens of the club and wine bars of North London.

Just by Titular denizens.
  • Options

Thames Water going belly up overnight?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

The fox batterer and his ilk are upset that the U.K. Supreme Court has not declared its supremacy over Parliament.

Which would obviate the need to win elections and things - just run the country from there. Bit like the US.

Because that is working so well.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803
    edited April 16
    Andy_JS said:
    But perhaps some will be being [edit] paid consultants' fees for their expertise by the tobacco industry. That's not very libertarian.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I am limited to what I can say about Thames Water.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,612
    kle4 said:

Perhaps she's learned that US audiences do NOT really know about her humiliation, having 99.47% been unaware of her existence before and (especially) during her PMship?

Reckon plenty mistake her for either Teresa May OR Penny Mordaunt, both having far more media exposure on this side of the Atlantic (and Pacific) in the later case due to her high-profile role during installation of King Charles.

It's a theory. But NEVER underestimate the ignorance of the American people when it comes to British politics.

Even vaster than per usual!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    Robert Peston
    @Peston
    I am told by DUP that Sunak’s smoking ban is very unlikely to apply in Northern Ireland because of the open border with the Republic and the likelihood the EU will say it is a basic right of Irish citizens of any age to buy cigarettes anywhere on the island. This seems to be an area where the Tory libertarian right would applaud Brussels
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I am limited to what I can say about Thames Water.
    Really?

It seems they're putting a lot of shit out.

And I'm hearing grim rumours about their sewers too.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Only if your dictionary is really bad. 😀
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

You have to wonder

I well remember contemplating the choice that Tories had when Boris imploded.

1. Penny Mordaunt. A risk. She, alone of all the contenders, could take the fight to Labour and keep the Tories in the game. But unclear whether she had the ability or experience to be a competent PM. But probably a risk worth taking in the circs.

2. Rishi Sunak. The "safe" choice. Man in a suit. Competent, and not likely to embarrass. But not an election-winner in difficult times.

3. Liz Truss. An obvious dud. Tin-eared. Starry-eyed. In the competition because the rightwing factionalists simply had to have a candidate no matter how unqualified. IDS in a wig.

The rest is history.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

You have to wonder

They can rue that decision as they stand by the Returning Officer.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430
    DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

That is an easy question to answer. While other ministers were tied down at home, Liz Truss was flying around the world signing free trade deals: triumph after triumph for post-Brexit Britain, or at least, that is how it was spun to Party members.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

You have to wonder

Do you think there's any chance she could hold out against UNS and hold her seat to have a run as LOTO?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,612

kle4 said:

Rednecks paying ten bucks a head to see her giving a talk?
    More like corporations & businesses paying WAY more than that . . . and writing it off on their taxes.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,155

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

The fox batterer and his ilk are upset that the U.K. Supreme Court has not declared its supremacy over Parliament.

Which would obviate the need to win elections and things - just run the country from there. Bit like the US.

The Supreme Court is, in essence, a committee of the House of Lords* rebadged and moved to the other side of Parliament Square. Do those who advocate its abolition want to return to the status quo ante and, if not, what will be the final arbiter of legal questions of application across the UK?

(*The SC doesn’t hear Scots Law criminal appeals because the post-Union House of Lords, as a successor of the pre-1707 Scottish Parliament, found it had inherited no such jurisdiction from that body, but that it had done so in civil matters)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

We all know the right choice of leader was not Truss, it was Rehman Chishti.

CHISHTI.
  • Options
    I think Truss still wants to be noticed. Doesn’t matter if she’s laughed at, just noticed. Some reality show gig is not beyond the realms.
  • Options
    edited April 16
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

She is anti civil service, wants to slash taxes and the size of the state and is socially very liberal on most issues
    What has pointing out institutional issues within the civil service got to do with libertarianism?

Truss's tax cuts, had they been implemented in full, would have amounted to £25 billion being left in peoples' and companies' pockets, from £1,100 billion of government receipts in 2026-27. How is that relatively modest level of tax cut, still leaving taxes at a 70 year high, 'uber-libertarian'?

What are these uber-libertarian social policies Truss has advocated - would she legalise or decriminalise any banned substances? Legalise prostitution? Raise the upper limit for abortion? If anything, her proposed trans bill is fairly conservative socially: https://news.sky.com/story/liz-truss-furious-after-mps-accused-of-blocking-transgender-reform-bill-13095370

But can you point to any 'uber-libertarian' social policies pursued by her?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

You have to wonder

Do you think there's any chance she could hold out against UNS and hold her seat to have a run as LOTO?
    She has her own unique problem with the voters.

That she is obviously a pillock.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

I think Truss still wants to be noticed. Doesn’t matter if she’s laughed at, just noticed. Some reality show gig is not beyond the realms.

It's almost as if she has a masochistic streak a mile wide
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    DougSeal said:

She’d suit a reboot of Challenge Anneka
  • Options
    I'm not really sure if any actual libertarians exist. It typically seems either to be a label applied by someone to a person on the right they dislike regardless of their policies, or a self label of someone who is very much in favour of state power so long as it is applied towards the things they like, or more accurately against the things they do not like.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

The Supreme Court is, in essence, a committee of the House of Lords* rebadged and moved to the other side of Parliament Square. Do those who advocate its abolition want to return to the status quo ante and, if not, what will be the final arbiter of legal questions of application across the UK?

(*The SC doesn’t hear Scots Law criminal appeals because the post-Union House of Lords, as a successor of the pre-1707 Scottish Parliament, found it had inherited no such jurisdiction from that body, but that it had done so in civil matters)
    Actually that is not quite true. They can hear Scottish criminal appeals when they involve a devolution minute, which basically asserts that there has been a breach of a Convention right.
    It would be fair to say that this power has been used somewhat judiciously but I understand that there is currently an application for such an appeal in relation to the way that what the High Court has defined as collateral evidence is excluded in rape cases on the basis that it prevents a fair trial.
  • Options

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

You have to wonder

I well remember contemplating the choice that Tories had when Boris imploded.

1. Penny Mordaunt. A risk. She, alone of all the contenders, could take the fight to Labour and keep the Tories in the game. But unclear whether she had the ability or experience to be a competent PM. But probably a risk worth taking in the circs.

2. Rishi Sunak. The "safe" choice. Man in a suit. Competent, and not likely to embarrass. But not an election-winner in difficult times.

3. Liz Truss. An obvious dud. Tin-eared. Starry-eyed. In the competition because the rightwing factionalists simply had to have a candidate no matter how unqualified. IDS in a wig.

The rest is history.
    The members had a choice of two, not three. Rishi's team engineered Truss into the final two, because she was the weaker candidate. She then proceeded to be much better than him (which to be fair wasn't hard) during the campaign, and he rightly lost.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

It does still annoy me though that Blair with his fatal reverence for all things Yankeeside chose such an utterly naff name.

What was wrong with 'Judicial Committee of the Privy Council' (which I believe is one name it still legally uses when hearing cases from various Commonwealth realms)? Quintessentially British and no unfortunate parallels to the criminal organisation in DC.
    The JCPC, manned by SC judges as you say, but technically a separate body, has a few other residual jurisdictions but the main issue was devolution. You need a body without the appearance of bias (at least) to resolve devolution disputes. JCPC is, like the Cabinet, technically a subcommittee of the Privy Council, so there’s a conflict with the central government executive - or at least the appearance of one.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What has pointing out institutional issues within the civil service got to do with libertarianism?

Truss's tax cuts, had they been implemented in full, would have amounted to £25 billion being left in peoples' and companies' pockets, from £1,100 billion of government receipts in 2026-27. How is that relatively modest level of tax cut, still leaving taxes at a 70 year high, 'uber-libertarian'?

What are these uber-libertarian social policies Truss has advocated - would she legalise or decriminalise any banned substances? Legalise prostitution? Raise the upper limit for abortion? If anything, her proposed trans bill is fairly conservative socially: https://news.sky.com/story/liz-truss-furious-after-mps-accused-of-blocking-transgender-reform-bill-13095370

But can you point to any 'uber-libertarian' social policies pursued by her?
    You have to start from where you are. Proposing big (unfunded) tax cuts, and with the intent to do more later, is a libertarian approach, even if when starting from a relatively high level, those initial cuts still leave you moderately high.
This discussion has been closed.