Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What’s this going to do to the May results? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,719

Scott_xP said:

@AnushkaAsthana
    Most folk in Downing Street and CCHQ will still make argument for an Autumn election- but sources tell me some v senior folk have made argument for alternative- calling it immediately after locals and holding on July 4

I am confident it will be in June or July and have been for some weeks.
    ...presumably ever since your previous confident assertion that it was going to be 2nd May became impossible?
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,774

eek said:

https://twitter.com/nearlylegal/status/1778842021211353150

Unfortunately
    @GuidoFawkes
    doesn’t understand the 5 year rule on disposal of RTB property. Whether the person was living there is irrelevant. It is only about selling within the first 5 years. This is really embarrassing stuff.

So there are 3 arguments

The tax which is a minor amount and up to HMRC (probably time limited anyway)
    The election fraud which again is timed served if it existed
    Moving out of the property early which seems to be a none story

So if that is the advice she has been given, publish it. We wait with baited breath…
    Your breath may well be baited. If so, I'd advise buying some mints. The rest of as wait with bated breath.
    Never knew that one was wrong. PB as always an education!
    Mistakes like that are a bit of a damp squid
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,361

eek said:

Donkeys said:

eek said:

Unfortunately
    @GuidoFawkes
    doesn’t understand the 5 year rule on disposal of RTB property. Whether the person was living there is irrelevant. It is only about selling within the first 5 years. This is really embarrassing stuff.

So there are 3 arguments

Ouch - embarrassing for Staines. I wonder how often he meets people who ever lived in council houses.
    How can Rayner have committed election fraud when the two houses were in the same constituency?
    "Minor amount" doesn't sound good politically though.
    I said minor amount because the maximum amount owed is £1500
    [Boris voice] Chickenfeed!
    It isn't if you include penalties and the like. Her career is on the line....
  • Options
    BatteryCorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorse Posts: 906
    edited April 12

Scott_xP said:

@AnushkaAsthana
    Most folk in Downing Street and CCHQ will still make argument for an Autumn election- but sources tell me some v senior folk have made argument for alternative- calling it immediately after locals and holding on July 4

...presumably ever since your previous confident assertion that it was going to be 2nd May became impossible?
    Yeah indeed, I didn't say my predictions were reliable! I've never been particularly sure about an election at the end of the year :)
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,873
    Evening all :)

YouGov 60-34, Techne 59-35 so not much change.

I presume YouGov prompts for Reform but even so it's another strong poll for Tice's party. The headline swing from Conservative to Labour is an eyewatering 19.5% - Techne's is 17%

The YouGov England sub sample is Labour 46%, Conservative 19%, Reform 16%, LDs 9% and Greens 8%. That means the Conservaties are down 28 and Labour up 12 so that's a 20% swing. The Con-LD swing is 15%. The regional sub samples confirm the strength of Reform outside London (just 6%).

The 2019 Conservative vote splits 33% Conservative, 23% Reform, 21% DK and 10% Labour. The Don't Knows amount for about 9% of the total electorate so not insignificant.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,651
    On a lighter note, why do Tory PMs have a problem with footwear? Sunak being slagged off for wearing brand new Adidas trainers with his work clothes is the latest of several issues he has faced, while in the past Cameron was mocked for wearing black work shoes with his holiday garb while taking a break in Portugal.
  • Options

On a lighter note, why do Tory PMs have a problem with footwear? Sunak being slagged off for wearing brand new Adidas trainers with his work clothes is the latest of several issues he has faced, while in the past Cameron was mocked for wearing black work shoes with his holiday garb while taking a break in Portugal.

Who cares?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,190

DavidL said:

On matters Scotch not sure if it's been already mentioned but Humza's run of council by-election fails has continued. And this time it was in a ward the SNP really should have won - Inverness South - in Drew Hendry's seat. LibDems surged past them, although an Independent actually won.

I had thought Hendry's seat, Inverness, Skye & Wester Ross, would be an SNP banker at the GE (one of the few), but I'm not so sure now. If the LibDems can persuade unionists they are the main challengers it could be close. There is a real sense that the Highlands are being neglected by ScotGov and its quite possible the voters will wreak some kind of vengeance. That said, I would still put Hendry as favourite, as I don't think the Tory vote will crumble to the extent it would need to. But remember, up til 2015 this area was represented by Danny Alexander and Charles Kennedy.

This is the actual result (First Prefs):

Ind 22.1 % ( new Indy)
    LD 19.7% (+11.1)
    SNP 19.4% (-15.8)
    Con 16.1% (-0.8)
    Lab 11% (+3.7)
    Green 7.2% (+1.8)
    Alba 3.2% (+1.3)
    Sov 1.2% ( new)

And this is the result if you take out the Independent and add his second prefs to the parties - makes it even worse for SNP:

Lib Dem 856 25.9% +12.0%
    SNP 695 21.0% -20.0%
    Conservative 650 19.7% -2.3%
    Labour 447 13.5% +3.8%
    Green 272 8.2% +1.4%
    Alba 135 4.1% +1.8%
    Sovereignty 66 2.0% New
    Non-transferrable 184 5.6% +1.3%

As a matter of interest how would you describe the independent candidate politically ?
    @Big_G_NorthWales Not sure TBH. He was endorsed by the existing Independent councillor which will have helped.

Quite a detailed preview of the by-election here. "Lean SNP" was the forecast.

https://ballotbox.scot/preview-inverness-south/
    Thank you
    The SNP are paying a price for kissing the Greens' , well, behind, in respect of not dualling the A9. North Scotland is not pleased.
    It was ever thus
    North Scotland has never been pleased?
    I have travelled that road for over 60 years and it is a disgrace on Scotland's governments that the A9 is not dualled all the way
    The A9 and A96 (Inverness to Aberdeen), along with the ferries, have become totemic issues in the North.

And after that, there's the social conservatism of the region to consider, and its reliance on oil and gas. Tough one for SNP candidates. They'll really need independence to become salient again.
    Or an SNP not in love with the Greens or tholed to Central Belt politicians. Someone like Alex Salmond or Kate Forbes could do the job. The Yousaf, Sturgeon arseholes, not so much. The SNP need to get rid of their current leadership as much as the Tories need to get rid of theirs.
    It's going quite well for Kate Forbes. She missed a bullet at the leadership election and now has the happy prospect of the party turning to her when the Humza regime finally implodes. She'll most likely take over when the SNP are ejected from Govt at the next Holyrood elections. So a few years to wait which probably suits her given her family commitments.
    Will she still be supporting those ghouls who hang about outside abortion clinics at that point?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@AnushkaAsthana

Yeah indeed, I didn't say my predictions were reliable! I've never been particularly sure about an election at the end of the year :)
    Stick with it - you'll be right eventually!

For what it's worth I predicted 2nd May too. Now I'd guess 12 December - five years since the previous election.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@AnushkaAsthana

For what it's worth I predicted 2nd May too. Now I'd guess 12 December - five years since the previous election.
    Why are you not convinced of July?

I think the locals will be terrible but not as terrible as people think and Sunak will think it's now or never.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,745
    Evening all.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,708
    An *interesting* finding about the scope of Due Process protection,

https://ballsandstrikes.org/legal-culture/louisiana-supreme-court-church-abuse-case/
    When you think of the Due Process Clause of the Constitution, which says that no one shall be “deprived of life, liberty or property without due process of law,” what rights do you imagine this language protecting? Perhaps the right not to be imprisoned by the government without a fair trial, or the right to be free of unjustified police confiscations of your belongings. According to a 4-3 Louisiana Supreme Court majority in Bienvenu v. Diocese of Lafayette, though, a due process right you may have failed to consider is the right of priests and their enablers not to be held accountable by victims of their sexual abuse.

Over the course of years in the 1970s, several boys between the ages of eight and fourteen in St. Martinville, Louisiana, were repeatedly sexually assaulted by their parish priest, suffering serious physical and emotional trauma. Like most child sexual abuse survivors, they did not disclose the abuse until they were in their fifties and sixties. Recognizing the developmental and emotional difficulties preventing survivors from disclosing childhood abuse, in 2021, the Louisiana legislature unanimously passed the Louisiana Child Victims Act, which provided a three-year “look-back window” allowing survivors to file lawsuits that would otherwise be barred by the statute of limitations. The law, versions of which have been passed in about half of states, finally allowed the St. Martinville survivors to sue the church and diocese that harbored their abuser.

Enter the Louisiana Supreme Court. In an opinion written by Justice James Genovese and published on March 22, the court found an absolute property right in the institutions’ right not to be sued. The Louisiana Child Victims Act, wrote Genovese, “cannot be retroactively applied to revive plaintiffs’ prescribed causes of action,” since that would “divest defendants of their vested right to plead prescription”—to defend themselves by asserting that the statute of limitations had run…
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,211

Scott_xP said:

@AnushkaAsthana

I think the locals will be terrible but not as terrible as people think and Sunak will think it's now or never.
    I think he might see an improving economy as a reason not to go before the autumn. Plus everyday in power is a day in power. Gonna be a long haul in opposition.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,314

Who cares?
    For some people, it's the sole topic of conversation.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Who cares?
    Yeah but why does it matter?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Who cares?
    Perhaps it's the upper limit of their imagination?
  • Options
    The last time there was a sub 10% Labour poll lead was 26 September 2022 (4% Kantar) - when Liz Truss was PM. Just saying
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Who cares?
    Sounds like cobblers to me.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,774
    ydoethur said:

Who cares?
    I think he's saying you should put a sock in talking about it
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,708
    Kari Lake embraces the principle behind Roe v Wade.

Once a cheerleader for Arizona’s "great law" prohibiting abortion, Kari Lake now singing a different tune, labeling it a "personal and private issue."
    https://twitter.com/Morning_Joe/status/1778780447557775496
  • Options
    CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

Who cares?
    This thread is now laced with bad shoe puns as people try feebly to copy me.

I should never have given tongue to the first one.

Can we make this the last?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,472
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Who cares?

"Who decides that the workday is from 9 to 5, instead of 11 to 4? Who decides that the hemlines will be below the knee this year and short again next year? Who draws up the borders, controls the currency, handles all of the decisions that happen transparently around us?"
    "I don't know."
    "Ah! I'm with them. Same group, different department.”

{pours tea in a sinister, alien manner}
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

Who cares?

Just a bunch of snobs talking cobblers.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@AnushkaAsthana

As someone else said earlier, even if the locals are not too bad for the Tories Sunak will probably take it as a sign that things are improving and the longer he delays the better.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,873

Scott_xP said:

@AnushkaAsthana

I think we need to define "terrible" and "not as terrible as people think". Losing 400-500 seats will look good compared to the 2022 and 2023 losses but the vote shares may well tell a different story. It depends on what the media and commentators choose to think.

There are a number of barometer councils to watch such as Harlow, Havant, Epping Forest, Fareham and Dorset to name but five. Then of course there's the by election in Blackpool South.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@AnushkaAsthana

As someone else said earlier, even if the locals are not too bad for the Tories Sunak will probably take it as a sign that things are improving and the longer he delays the better.
    He does seem disconnected from reality enough to go for this.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,352
    ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

Who cares?

As well-heeled as ever.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,561

DavidL said:

On matters Scotch not sure if it's been already mentioned but Humza's run of council by-election fails has continued. And this time it was in a ward the SNP really should have won - Inverness South - in Drew Hendry's seat. LibDems surged past them, although an Independent actually won.

I had thought Hendry's seat, Inverness, Skye & Wester Ross, would be an SNP banker at the GE (one of the few), but I'm not so sure now. If the LibDems can persuade unionists they are the main challengers it could be close. There is a real sense that the Highlands are being neglected by ScotGov and its quite possible the voters will wreak some kind of vengeance. That said, I would still put Hendry as favourite, as I don't think the Tory vote will crumble to the extent it would need to. But remember, up til 2015 this area was represented by Danny Alexander and Charles Kennedy.

Ind 22.1 % ( new Indy)
    LD 19.7% (+11.1)
    SNP 19.4% (-15.8)
    Con 16.1% (-0.8)
    Lab 11% (+3.7)
    Green 7.2% (+1.8)
    Alba 3.2% (+1.3)
    Sov 1.2% ( new)

And this is the result if you take out the Independent and add his second prefs to the parties - makes it even worse for SNP:

Lib Dem 856 25.9% +12.0%
    SNP 695 21.0% -20.0%
    Labour 447 13.5% +3.8%
    Green 272 8.2% +1.4%
    Alba 135 4.1% +1.8%
    Sovereignty 66 2.0% New

As a matter of interest how would you describe the independent candidate politically ?
    @Big_G_NorthWales Not sure TBH. He was endorsed by the existing Independent councillor which will have helped.

Thank you
    The SNP are paying a price for kissing the Greens' , well, behind, in respect of not dualling the A9. North Scotland is not pleased.
    It was ever thus
    I have travelled that road for over 60 years and it is a disgrace on Scotland's governments that the A9 is not dualled all the way
    The A9 and A96 (Inverness to Aberdeen), along with the ferries, have become totemic issues in the North.

And after that, there's the social conservatism of the region to consider, and its reliance on oil and gas. Tough one for SNP candidates. They'll really need independence to become salient again.
    Or an SNP not in love with the Greens or tholed to Central Belt politicians. Someone like Alex Salmond or Kate Forbes could do the job. The Yousaf, Sturgeon arseholes, not so much. The SNP need to get rid of their current leadership as much as the Tories need to get rid of theirs.
    It's going quite well for Kate Forbes. She missed a bullet at the leadership election and now has the happy prospect of the party turning to her when the Humza regime finally implodes. She'll most likely take over when the SNP are ejected from Govt at the next Holyrood elections. So a few years to wait which probably suits her given her family commitments.
    Will she still be supporting those ghouls who hang about outside abortion clinics at that point?
    That's a remarkably pejorative way of describing the fact that people have different views on the question of how best to balance the rights and needs of the unborn against the rights, needs and duties of others.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,869
    edited April 12
    Nigelb said:

Once a cheerleader for Arizona’s "great law" prohibiting abortion, Kari Lake now singing a different tune, labeling it a "personal and private issue."

It’s delicious seeing the GOP nutjobs now in full panic mode .
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389

ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

Who cares?

As well-heeled as ever.
    I'll have to tread carefully
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,482
    nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

An unusual choice. What makes you think Kari would want to be Kier's deputy?
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,845

darkage said:

I know it is Guido but this may explain the police involvement in what appears to be a minor infringement

I simply cannot believe it is just where she lived for electoral purposes

https://order-order.com/people/angela-rayner/

Rayner didn't do herself any favours with the 'tory scum' comments a few years ago. It reflected the attitude of a large part of the labour party and its MP's (if not the leader) and is still a big off putting factor for me when thinking about who to vote for.
    Lock her up!

(How many times in a day am I allowed to write that?)

I mentioned this last week. In Rayner world I don't believe "scum" is as offensive as Tories understood it to be. When JRM claims people are trogladites or plebians, I suspect in his world that is as offensive in design as "scum" was for Rayner.
    I think the mistake most people are making here is accepting tories are scum....most people think all politicians are scum frankly and we would certainly not want to marry our daughters
  • Options

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

An unusual choice. What makes you think Kari would want to be Kier's deputy?
    Very funny ! That was my next post . Who do people think would make the best new Deputy Leader if Rayner has to stand down.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,473
    Nigelb said:

I don't feel strongly about abortion - but intellectually, I really don't think it is a private matter. It strikes me that the balance of rights between mother and unborn child, and the question of the point at which an unborn child is treated as a legal person is one which can only be arrived at through societal agreement - i.e. in our context, democratically.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

darkage said:

I know it is Guido but this may explain the police involvement in what appears to be a minor infringement

Rayner didn't do herself any favours with the 'tory scum' comments a few years ago. It reflected the attitude of a large part of the labour party and its MP's (if not the leader) and is still a big off putting factor for me when thinking about who to vote for.
    Lock her up!

I mentioned this last week. In Rayner world I don't believe "scum" is as offensive as Tories understood it to be. When JRM claims people are trogladites or plebians, I suspect in his world that is as offensive in design as "scum" was for Rayner.
    I think the mistake most people are making here is accepting tories are scum....most people think all politicians are scum frankly and we would certainly not want to marry our daughters
    "This bounty hunter is my kind of scum: fearless and inventive!"
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,190
    Pagan2 said:

darkage said:

Lock her up!

I’m an open minded chap but on the whole I’m glad you don’t want to marry your daughters.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

darkage said:

Lock her up!

I’m an open minded chap but on the whole I’m glad you don’t want to marry your daughters.
    I'm baffled by both these comments.

Surely unless the MP (or @Pagan2) is one of a priest or a registrar then he *couldn't* marry his daughters?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

darkage said:

Lock her up!

This is like the third very odd post you've written in the last two days.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

darkage said:

Lock her up!

"This bounty hunter is my kind of scum: fearless and inventive!"
    The majority of politicians seem to be a lot richer after 5 years in parliament while their constiuents are generally poorer. Its not a party political view, merely an observation
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,880
    Cookie said:

Nigelb said:

I don't feel strongly about abortion - but intellectually, I really don't think it is a private matter. It strikes me that the balance of rights between mother and unborn child, and the question of the point at which an unborn child is treated as a legal person is one which can only be arrived at through societal agreement - i.e. in our context, democratically.
    Yup

(Sorry, meant to press "like" but pressed "quote" instead. My bad.)
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,816

ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

Who cares?

As well-heeled as ever.
    I'll have to tread carefully
    All toe puff this or that politician ...
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,834

I have tried to resist sharing this straight line, but can no longer; In a March 19th NYT article on the return of female genital cutting in Gambia, I found this: 'Clerics in the Muslim world disagree on whether cutting is Islamic, but it is not in the Koran. The most vocal of the Gambian imans, Abdoule Fatty, has argued that "circumcision makes you cleaner" and has said the husbands of women who have not been cut suffer because they can not meet their wives' sexual appetities.'

(Try to keep the punch lines relatively clean.)

I see nothing amusing in this.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I did a good thing. Whilst making my way down the train carriage aisle to depart, I noticed a small fluffy toy on a seat by itself, somewhat like a furry. I was briefly struck by the incongruity and thought of asking it if it had a ticket. Common sense reasserted itself and, screwing my courage to the sticking post I picked it up, went to the end of the aisle and asked the queue waiting to detrain if this was their toy. Thankfully a family said "yes" and I was lauded as a good person instead of a weirdo toy kidnapper.

So today was a good day 🙂

Was it a hairy moment?
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

darkage said:

Lock her up!

Well considering my posts over the last few days have not been about politicians I can only say you are lying.....otherwise quote a post from the last two days....clues you wont be able to so go fuck yourself
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,512
    No_Offence_Alan - The iman was insulting Muslim men -- including himself -- but didn't seem to realize that.
  • Options
    So at a time when US Israeli relations were faltering Netenyahu decides to hit the Iranian consulate .

It’s blatantly obvious why .
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

I did a good thing. Whilst making my way down the train carriage aisle to depart, I noticed a small fluffy toy on a seat by itself, somewhat like a furry. I was briefly struck by the incongruity and thought of asking it if it had a ticket. Common sense reasserted itself and, screwing my courage to the sticking post I picked it up, went to the end of the aisle and asked the queue waiting to detrain if this was their toy. Thankfully a family said "yes" and I was lauded as a good person instead of a weirdo toy kidnapper.

Was it a hairy moment?
    "Furby", not "furry"!
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

darkage said:

Lock her up!

Well considering my posts over the last few days have not been about politicians I can only say you are lying.....otherwise quote a post from the last two days....clues you wont be able to so go fuck yourself
    Pagan2 said:

I dont think its just a male thing though I have a folder full of girls that have sent me intimate pictures and not random people

• Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

darkage said:

Lock her up!

Pagan2 said:

I dont think its just a male thing though I have a folder full of girls that have sent me intimate pictures and not random people

Whats wierd about that I was merely commenting women do it to
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,989
    viewcode said:

Your kindness shines through.
    Am I bad for wanting you shot for detrain?
    Don't think so.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

viewcode said:

Don't think so.
    My bad. Am on the tablet not the laptop. Small keypad, wobbly fingers. Short words preferred.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

You are very kind and thoughtful and a credit to this site. I hope you know that.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

darkage said:

Lock her up!

Well I'm Liberal, but to a degree, I believe everybody should be free.
    But if you think I'd let Barry Goldwater move in next door and marry my daughter.
    You must think I'm crazy.
    Wouldn't do it for all the farms in Cuba.
  • Options

viewcode said:

You are very kind and thoughtful and a credit to this site. I hope you know that.
    I do fart very loudly tho. My nieces tell me off. 😐
  • Options
    edited April 12
    dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

darkage said:

Lock her up!

But if you think I'd let Barry Goldwater move in next door and marry my daughter.
    Wasn't that my point no one sane would want their daughter to marry a politician?
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,203
    Leicester season over??
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 567
    nico679 said:

So at a time when US Israeli relations were faltering Netenyahu decides to hit the Iranian consulate .

It’s blatantly obvious why .

Can you post what you think the reason is.

Israel have done things like this before to scupper negotiations, a famous case being when they sent jets to bomb Tunis.

The US isn't any problem for Israel at all. I think the US have been told to hold back on the floating pier plan until the Israelis have "adjusted" the Gaza population size to what they consider to be an appropriate size for deportation.

Whether it will be Saigon and helicopter skids time for the Saudi princes, we'll have to see. That's always a possible outcome I'm on the lookout for because of an argument I had with someone many years ago, but perhaps it's more apposite right now to ask how long the Egyptian government's going to last.

A deportation will NOT look like the deportation of PLO guys from Beirut. They won't be allowed to take much metal with them onto the ships. The Israelis have even stopped some aid workers from giving out unpitted dates (saying their stones could be used as weapons) and crutches.

Meanwhile Germany stops a pro-Palestinian conference including by cutting off the electricity. They used 930 polizei:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/4/12/germany-cancels-pro-palestine-event-bars-entry-to-gaza-war-witness
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,953

Pagan2 said:

darkage said:

Lock her up!

Have you ever met a chap called Trump? I hear he holds his daughter in quite high regard and is possibly destined for high office!
  • Options
    edited April 12
    Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

darkage said:

Lock her up!

Wasn't that my point no one sane would want their daughter to marry a politician?
    Indeed.
    Sons as well.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,671
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Farting loudly is one of the joys of life.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Sticking-place, not post!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,266
    edited April 12
    Pagan2 said:

darkage said:

Lock her up!

I don't believe that is true. As I suggested, I suspect "scum" is simply the lingua franca of the Manchester council estate. So scum is not a word I would use.

In my view the Johnsonian and post-Johnsonian Tories are venal, corrupt and heartless. Of course you will still vote for them because you can't bear the alternatives. Some Johnsonian Tories are reprehensible poshos, others are reprehensible oiks. Do I include all Tories? Of course not. If you can find the one remaining One Nation Conservative I will utter not an ill word against them.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,953
    viewcode said:

dixiedean said:

viewcode said:

Don't think so.
    My bad. Am on the tablet not the laptop. Small keypad, wobbly fingers. Short words preferred.
    This is the new "My dog ate my homework", right?
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

darkage said:

Lock her up!

I don't believe that is true. As I suggested, I suspect "scum" is simply the lingua franca of the Manchester council estate. So scum is not a word I would use.

In my view the Johnsonian and post-Johnsonian Tories are venal, corrupt and heartless. Of course you will still vote for them because you can't bear the alternatives. Some Johnsonian Tories are reprehensible poshos, others are reprehensible oiks. Do I include all Tories? Of course not. If you can find the one remaining One Nation Conservative I will utter not an ill word against them.
    Phasma: "You always were scum!"
    Finn: "REBEL scum!"
  • Options
    TimS said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Farting loudly is one of the joys of life.
    Only if it is "just" a fart.
  • Options
    edited April 12

Pagan2 said:

darkage said:

Lock her up!

I've lived on a few council estates and don't recall anyone misusing the phrase "lingua franca" the way you did.

Also you're responding to a statement about what most people think by focusing on a word. Most people do indeed think all politicians are scum, wankers, etc. Various different words with different shades of meaning are used, which is hardly surprising given this is the English language. Aneurin Bevan memorably called the Tories "lower than vermin" and many of the poor snowflakes got very upset about it. Regarding the word "scum", isn't that what Duke-face Wellington called his own soldiers?
  • Options
    edited April 12

Pagan2 said:

darkage said:

Lock her up!

I didnt vote tory since 2010....I merely dont make the mistake of thinking labour , lib dems etc are any less venal corrupt or heartless
  • Options

Leicester season over??

Still to lose to Coventry in the play-offs.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Ind 22.1 % ( new Indy)
    LD 19.7% (+11.1)
    SNP 19.4% (-15.8)
    Con 16.1% (-0.8)
    Lab 11% (+3.7)
    Green 7.2% (+1.8)
    Alba 3.2% (+1.3)
    Sov 1.2% ( new)

Lib Dem 856 25.9% +12.0%
    SNP 695 21.0% -20.0%
    Labour 447 13.5% +3.8%
    Green 272 8.2% +1.4%
    Alba 135 4.1% +1.8%
    Sovereignty 66 2.0% New

Thank you
    It was ever thus
    You mean, to Scottish Labour and the Tories who voted to divert money from the A9 to Edinburgh trams.
    And here's me thinking the SNP have been in government for the last 17 years.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,203

Leicester season over??

Still to lose to Coventry in the play-offs.
    Whoever finishes 3rd will not get through playoffs. Big opportunity for Coventry but they have to get past Norwich to get in top 6 first.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273

Michael Crick
    @MichaelLCrick
    ·
    2h
    The Mail in 1991 when Panorama revealed John Manor was on the electoral register at a house where he never lived.

https://twitter.com/MichaelLCrick/status/1778880159988281771
  • Options

Michael Crick
    @MichaelLCrick
    ·
    2h
    The Mail in 1991 when Panorama revealed John Manor was on the electoral register at a house where he never lived.

https://twitter.com/MichaelLCrick/status/1778880159988281771

"Proud Andrew takes the family to sea".

Not for the first time.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

Westminster Voting Intention:

LAB: 44% (-1)
    CON: 24% (=)
    REF: 11% (-2)
    LDM: 9% (-1)
    GRN: 6% (+1)
    SNP: 2% (=)

Via
    @wethinkpolling
    , On 11-12 April,
    Changes w/ 4-5 April.

https://x.com/electpoliticsuk/status/1778832955378434485

That looks like MoE stuff to me.

I am concerned that the voter ID refusals at polling stations and the 3 million expat Tory voters are not applied to opinion polls. The difference a small number of votes applied to marginal seats could make is mind numbing.
    The expats haven't caused polls to collapse/disappear/produce ridiculous results ever before.

You are assuming that expats are all Tories. Why?

"An on-line survey carried out by University of Sussex academics reveals that the Conservatives’ share of overseas votes in the EU fell by two thirds between the 2015 and 2019 elections. The Labour and Liberal Democrat combined vote share rose from 56% in 2015 to 85% by 2019."

https://www.sussex.ac.uk/broadcast/read/52513
    There were anecdotes of South African voters in 1992. I have looked for citations for you, but I can't find them. So urban myth or just a nightmare.
    The usual excuse making bullshit. Kinnock was admitting in private they had a problem, based on polling in the U.K., before the election.

Much like the myth of the Falklands saving Thatcher.

The Left had a “we was robbed” story for every election I can remember. Including 1997…
    Without challenging your larger point (which is probably true) what evidence do you have that the 'Falklands saving Thatcher' is a myth?

Prior to the Falklands War the Tories, Labour and the Alliance were effectively tied in the opinion polls; by the end of the Falklands the Tories were consistently enjoying leads in the 10-20% range over Labour.
    The polls were already turning before the Falklands.

Longest Suicide Note In History.

I mean, this was the Labour Party, where someone rocked up on the platform at the party conference. To demand leaving NATO and the EEC. And joining COMECON.
    I did a politics undergraduate course. One of the lecturers was the former SDP MP David Marquand. I remember him showing very convincingly by means od graphs of polls etc. that the Falklands effect was a blip, and by the time of the 1983 GE, Conservative support had fallen back to meet the gradual upward trajectory it was on before the conflict ('swingback', we used to call it on here.)
    That doesn’t show anything other than their support drifted back, which is hardly unexpected. What it might have done absent the Falklands is an entirely different thing.
    David Marquand was a superb politics lecturer. But the 'Falklands Factor' was real.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,266
    Donkeys said:

Pagan2 said:

darkage said:

Lock her up!

I've lived on a few council estates and don't recall anyone misusing the phrase "lingua franca" the way you did.

Also you're responding to a statement about what most people think by focusing on a word. Most people do indeed think all politicians are scum, wankers, etc. Various different words with different shades of meaning are used, which is hardly surprising given this is the English language. Aneurin Bevan memorably called the Tories "lower than vermin" and many of the poor snowflakes got very upset about it. Regarding the word "scum", isn't that what Duke-face Wellington called his own soldiers?
    Lingua franca definition; a language or mixture of languages used as a medium of communication by people whose native languages are different.

Mancunian English and English. I stand by my statement.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,745
    "Why now?" Truss's response to the death of the Queen.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Why now?" Truss's response to the death of the Queen.

"I managed to become PM but nobody including me is sure how I did it"
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,260

Donkeys said:

Pagan2 said:

darkage said:

Lock her up!

Lingua franca definition; a language or mixture of languages used as a medium of communication by people whose native languages are different.

This pretending to be a moron schtick you do is way past its sell-by-date.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    stodge said:

Scott_xP said:

@AnushkaAsthana

I think we need to define "terrible" and "not as terrible as people think". Losing 400-500 seats will look good compared to the 2022 and 2023 losses but the vote shares may well tell a different story. It depends on what the media and commentators choose to think.

There are a number of barometer councils to watch such as Harlow, Havant, Epping Forest, Fareham and Dorset to name but five. Then of course there's the by election in Blackpool South.
    Harlow may be a barometer council, the others you mentioned there aren't. Of the still Conservative controlled councils up in May Thurrock, Dudley, Solihull, Walsall, Basildon, Gloucester and Nuneaton and Redditch are more barometer councils than them
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,749
    eek said:

Unfortunately
    @GuidoFawkes

So there are 3 arguments

Problem with "No smoke without fire" is you end up inventing fires when the smoke starts disappearing.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

eek said:

Unfortunately
    @GuidoFawkes

So there are 3 arguments

Problem with "No smoke without fire" is you end up inventing fires when the smoke starts disappearing.
    Guido has now set a precedent for Labour to go through the dealings of all of the Tory MPs in Parliament.

You can bet with all of the money currently flowing to Labour, they are currently doing just that and will release it all as the election nears.

I am not sure this was a wise strategy.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    I’m sure Rayner will get off on some technicality or other, and she probably didn’t do anything that wrong anyway… but why did she pretend to live in a separate house from her new husband? It doesnt make sense
  • Options
    BatteryCorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorse Posts: 906
    edited April 12
    isam said:

I’m sure Rayner will get off on some technicality or other, and she probably didn’t do anything that wrong anyway… but why did she pretend to live in a separate house from her new husband? It doesnt make sense

Are you already preparing to admit defeat?

She had a blended family, I think that has already been discussed.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,626

IanB2 said:

Angela Rayner may have fiddled herself 1000 odd quid, which is naughty, though hardly a King's ransome, but I can't get excited by this electoral roll nonsense. I've lived somewhere for years without telling the electoral roll. None of their business until I decide it's their business as far as I am concerned.

If the Tories go hard on this electoral roll stuff they'll make her a martyr.

Not registering isn’t an offence, but registering somewhere that isn’t your main home now is. The days when landlords and second home owners could merrily register at all their properties are long gone.
    No, not registering at your current address is an offence, one committed by what some estimate as 8 million UK citizens currently, some of whom will be people who were previously registered at another address but have since moved and have failed to inform the authorities. Whether it is a criminal or civil offence depends on whether false information was actively provided.
    I don't see landlords voting Tory, TBH.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952

isam said:

Why defeat? I always said it didn’t really matter about the tax but she looked dodgy in saying she lived one place when all her neighbours say she didn’t. Who gets married then lives apart? What sucker would believe it??
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,856
    kamski said:

Donkeys said:

Pagan2 said:

darkage said:

Lock her up!

"It is often useful to give the slight impression that you are deliberately pretending not to know what is going on, because the reality may be that you don't know what is going on but people won't be able to tell the difference."

Boris Johnson, 2013
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Why defeat? I always said it didn’t really matter about the tax but she looked dodgy in saying she lived one place when all her neighbours say she didn’t. Who gets married then lives apart? What sucker would believe it??
    Tax is over and done, HMRC aren't investigating.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Donkeys said:

Pagan2 said:

darkage said:

Lock her up!

Leave Pete alone.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,856
    edited April 12

FF43 said:

eek said:

Unfortunately
    @GuidoFawkes

So there are 3 arguments

Guido has now set a precedent for Labour to go through the dealings of all of the Tory MPs in Parliament.

You can bet with all of the money currently flowing to Labour, they are currently doing just that and will release it all as the election nears.

I really don't think any party needed precedent to go through the potential dirty laundry of their political opponents. Or rather that they already have plenty of precedent.

I mean, you've essentially just claimed that Labour will (or may) do a release of various Tory MP dealings at the election, but cleansed them of any responsibility for doing so in advance because of this example. Yet is this really the first time a party's supporters have done such a thing? Guido is clearly batting more for Reform thesedays, though in this case interests are aligned with the Tories, but underhanded briefings and campaigns have long been a thing, would the thought never have occured without this case?

Whether a party feel it justified or wise in seeking to use information - be it genuinely bad or a bit of a smear - probably depends more on how they perceive their prospects if they stick to striking above the belt.

That is, will it be useful, and do they need it? What is the cost to their own credibility if they go dirty, and can they do it through proxies to keep a distance?

I would regard such a thing as political behaviour rather than partisan behaviour, in that it crops up across the spectrum. Which does not mean one side may not, in a particular moment, be more guilty of that behaviour.
  • Options
    edited April 12
    Following up on my post from earlier re: rents and inflation. Thanks for the advice, especially form @malcolmg .

I went to see the T this afternoon, and we agreed a cost-of-living rent increase in line with 6-months' worth of last September's benefit increase reference-rate-of-inflation after 7-months' occupancy (ie just over 3% from the 6.7% rate), the basic rent level being set a little below market since they intend to be long-term Ts whom I intend to keep for a long time, and are keen gardeners in the patio garden which we jointly sorted out/adapted.

That is now in line with my normal system of following benefit increase rate (currently set in September) for the following financial year - which imo works quite well as a long-term easy-to-understand & reasonable practice.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

FF43 said:

eek said:

Unfortunately
    @GuidoFawkes

So there are 3 arguments

I really don't think any party needed precedent to go through the potential dirty laundry of their political opponents. Or rather that they already have plenty of precedent.

I mean, you've essentially just claimed that Labour will (or may) do a release of various Tory MP dealings at the election, but cleansed them of any responsibility for doing so in advance because of this example. Yet is this really the first time a party's supporters have done such a thing? Guido is clearly batting more for Reform thesedays, though in this case interests are aligned with the Tories, but underhanded briefings and campaigns have long been a thing, would the thought never have occured without this case?

Whether a party feel it justified or wise in seeking to use information - be it genuinely bad or a bit of a smear - probably depends more on how they perceive their prospects if they stick to striking above the belt.

That is, will it be useful, and do they need it? What is the cost to their own credibility if they go dirty, and can they do it through proxies to keep a distance?

I would regard such a thing as political behaviour rather than partisan behaviour, in that it crops up across the spectrum. Which does not mean one side may not, in a particular moment, be more guilty of that behaviour.
    I think this is perhaps a bit over-sophisticated as an analysis of current circumstances. I'd phrase it as "the Conservatives have nothing left except a few pots of jelly to throw at the wall".

And if one has nothing but pots of jelly, everything looks like a wall.

On the wider issue of exposing information, I think the current setup (is post-2010 expenses scandal, recall ballots etc), whilst being not-the-best-we-can-imagine, is a massive step forward from the corruption tolerating system that existed before. I'm choosing my words carefully, but I think it's the right description.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@AnushkaAsthana

So never then.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048
    carnforth said:

After about 20 minutes of trying, have managed to load PB from China. Now I find I have nothing interesting to say. Plus ça change.

You have had 5 likes before 4.20, so there are plenty of night owls about.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

After about 20 minutes of trying, have managed to load PB from China. Now I find I have nothing interesting to say. Plus ça change.

Yes, but you say nothing with such élan.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,436
    New thread.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,421

For some local knowledge, really hope people jump on Basingstoke turning red. I was there last weekend and I've never seen so many "vote Labour" signs.

I live near Basingstoke and drove through there on Monday and took the train from there too.

I didn't see a single one.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,126

For some local knowledge, really hope people jump on Basingstoke turning red. I was there last weekend and I've never seen so many "vote Labour" signs.

I live near Basingstoke and drove through there on Monday and took the train from there too.

I'm almost tempted to travel to Basingstoke myself to unravel this mystery... Almost.
    Basingstoke would certainly be an unlikely Labour gain.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,421

I'm almost tempted to travel to Basingstoke myself to unravel this mystery... Almost.
    It probably will be one on its current boundaries. Labour came close in 2001 and got over 20k votes in the 2017GE for peak Corbyn.

But I still didn't see any Labour posters.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,515

It probably will be one on its current boundaries. Labour came close in 2001 and got over 20k votes in the 2017GE for peak Corbyn.

But I still didn't see any Labour posters.
    How much is that because election posters aren't as much of a thing any more?

Killed off by a combination of weaker party affiliation, fear of vandalism and the lack of a good cheap day-glow blue?
This discussion has been closed.