Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Jesus, Mary & Joseph, and the wee donkey – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,829
    GIN1138 said:

Why do I get the feeling Mad Vlad is somehow going to be behind all these MP's sharing explicit pics of themselves online?

No, lets really go down the "false flag" rabbit hole, and say it is a plot by CCHQ to make WhatsApp end their encryption.
  • Options
    DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 147
    Eabhal said:

The number of dwellings in Scotland has increased by 15% in the last 20 years, while the population has increased by only 8%. Supply is not the issue.

What's the equivalent figure for the % increase in number of households? As certain posters keep reminding us young people these days are much more "single" so the population increase may not be telling us the full story. But I don't know how big the effect is.

Edinburgh as you know every bloody house is an airbnb too...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    This is one punchy political advert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfLGpevFRsE&t=116s

I wish him well.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458

Eabhal said:

The rent freeze has just ended in Scotland and it's just horrific what landlords are doing. Going to be a very unstable market for a while with lots of evictions.

The number of dwellings in Scotland has increased by 15% in the last 20 years, while the population has increased by only 8%. Supply is not the issue.

Population increase is not the only factor. Household composition matters too. If families are smaller, and there are more divorces, then the same size of population will require more dwellings.

And, obviously, there is not one housing market across the whole of Scotland. There might be a growing surplus of dwellings in one area, while an ever more acute shortage elsewhere.

And then there is also the impact of short-term rentals on the market. The growing demand for tourist accommodation reduces the supply of housing for long-term occupation. You could change the law and restrict accommodation for tourists, but that would have negative consequences for those businesses who benefit from tourist visitors.
    In Peru, they have some laws which grant long term tenants extra rights. So, everyone expects to be told to leave a property just before 10 years are up.

It is remarkable how messing with the housing market rarely reduces costs and other issues.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,949
    DavidL said:

This is one punchy political advert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfLGpevFRsE&t=116s

I wish him well.

Reminds me of the video for :

"Public Enemy - By The Time I Get To Arizona"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrFOb_f7ubw

• Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

The rent freeze has just ended in Scotland and it's just horrific what landlords are doing. Going to be a very unstable market for a while with lots of evictions.

The whole rent freeze policy was a farce. Basically you could increase the rent on a new tenancy so what it did was increase the turnover in tenants and the determination of the landlord to bring each tenancy to an end so the new one could be at a higher rent, even if it was with 1 or more of the same people. Yet another really stupid policy by people incapable of seeing the next step, no matter how obvious.
    That would be illegal under the terms of the rent freeze. A friend took a landlord to court when they tried that on and won a rather stunning settlement.

There are numerous cases like it and Shelter Scotland are exceptionally busy at the moment.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Population increase is not the only factor. Household composition matters too. If families are smaller, and there are more divorces, then the same size of population will require more dwellings.

And, obviously, there is not one housing market across the whole of Scotland. There might be a growing surplus of dwellings in one area, while an ever more acute shortage elsewhere.

And then there is also the impact of short-term rentals on the market. The growing demand for tourist accommodation reduces the supply of housing for long-term occupation. You could change the law and restrict accommodation for tourists, but that would have negative consequences for those businesses who benefit from tourist visitors.
    And all of these problems are particularly acute in Edinburgh which, funnily enough, seems to have had the highest rent increases during a supposed rent freeze. Very large numbers of foreign students, very large numbers of Air BnB, very young population with lots of singletons. And then this kind of incompetence: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-65846327#:~:text=A plan to regulate Airbnb-style lets in Edinburgh,agreed that part of the proposal was unlawful.

The organisation of piss ups and breweries are so far beyond the aspirations of these people.
  • Options
    edited April 5

Eabhal said:

Yep, it's complicated. It's why building thousands of detached houses in rural parts of Scotland is having zero effect on rents in Edinburgh - all it does is allow more people to live by themselves.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but not solving the crisis in our cities either. The latest wheeze is landlords rebranding themselves as "small business owners".
  • Options
    edited April 5
    dixiedean said:

I see the Labour Candidate for Dover is called Mike Tapp

I think he is wasted in politics, should have been a sound engineer

Showing my age here.
    But weren't the characters on Radio 4's Radio Active so named?
    ISTR Mike Flex, Anna Daptor, Mike Stand, Mike Channel.
    Oh and Mike Hunt.
    Don't forget "Rabbi Rabbit" as a satire Roland Rat.

** Thinking back - I hope it was a satire. Haven't watched/listened to it since the original broadcast in the 80s/90s.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

The whole rent freeze policy was a farce. Basically you could increase the rent on a new tenancy so what it did was increase the turnover in tenants and the determination of the landlord to bring each tenancy to an end so the new one could be at a higher rent, even if it was with 1 or more of the same people. Yet another really stupid policy by people incapable of seeing the next step, no matter how obvious.
    That would be illegal under the terms of the rent freeze. A friend took a landlord to court when they tried that on and won a rather stunning settlement.

There are numerous cases like it and Shelter Scotland are exceptionally busy at the moment.
    Its not my area of the law but my understanding is that so long as the new tenant is not the same as the old tenant then you are entitled to change the rent. Where you have lots of stable young families that is not much of an issue but where you have lots of people flat sharing and then moving on it is.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Well, it didn't take Owen Jones long to finally and utterly lose the plot now he is not a Lab member.

Do tell?
    I am late to this so maybe PB has been discussing earlier when I was out of action but he appears to have gone tonto about the holocaust.

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1775998988451201486
    Okay folks, Owen Jones is definitely down the rabbit hole. It started with Corbyn and he's gone deeper and deeper.
    Jones is doing a bit of a Brand, and for not wholly dissimilar reasons.
    I'm now reminded of a 1970s show about a Labour politician :

https://www.markpack.org.uk/161108/bill-brand-tv-drama-series/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Brand_(TV_series)

Written by Trevor Griffiths of many famous TV/Stage drama's and who's recent death seems to have gone largely unnoticed.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,022

If you look at the 4 opinion polls reporting this week compared with before Easter then the movement in Conservative and Labour support is

C - 0,-1,-1,-1
    L - +4,+3,+1,+1

So a consistent shift.

No polling average this week, as only 4/6 companies have reported polls (no Savanta or Deltapoll).

Oh FFS!! Its Easter.

What about Opinium, More in Common, Survation
    Your desperation is unedifying.
  • Options
    edited April 5
    DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

Its not my area of the law but my understanding is that so long as the new tenant is not the same as the old tenant then you are entitled to change the rent. Where you have lots of stable young families that is not much of an issue but where you have lots of people flat sharing and then moving on it is.
    You were not allowed to evict a tenant unless you were going to sell or live in it yourself (which is what this particular landlord did not do). So the policy slowed the turnover of tenants, but you're right about the rental increases otherwise.

A sticking plaster over the issue. There are plenty of new developments in Edinburgh, with rampant YIMBYism, so something else is going to have to change.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

You were not allowed to evict a tenant unless you were going to sell or live in it yourself (which is what this particular landlord did not do). So the policy slowed the turnover of tenants, but you're right about the rental increases otherwise.

A sticking plaster over the issue. There are plenty of new developments in Edinburgh, with rampant YIMBYism, so something else is going to have to change.
    You could evict them if you were moving a family member in. And charged them market rent.

Oddly, many landlords did that then - oh my! - the family member moved back out and they had to re-list the property at a much higher rent!

Ohno!...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

If you guys keep talking about dicks, I'll start talking about suits again. Just sayin' :)

Yes please, hot!
    I'm tempted...

https://www.bondsuits.com/
    This is probably the Twitter place for you.
    https://twitter.com/dieworkwear

Some excellent style advice.
    He has an unerring eye for the terrible style of the GOP and their supporters.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598
    edited April 5
    carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Well, it didn't take Owen Jones long to finally and utterly lose the plot now he is not a Lab member.

Do tell?
    I am late to this so maybe PB has been discussing earlier when I was out of action but he appears to have gone tonto about the holocaust.

Okay folks, Owen Jones is definitely down the rabbit hole. It started with Corbyn and he's gone deeper and deeper.
    Jones spent his college years editing Wikipedia to push a certain view of Israel:

https://twitter.com/bindelj/status/1724796415791292877
    Owen Jones was down the extreme left rabbit hole from his mid teens, and has still not recovered from the excursion imo in that his foundations are screwy.

If you look in the Yahoo Email Group archives, you can still find him as a wiggling mid-teen I think demanding that everybody outside his one man groupuscoule (sp?) are counter-revolutionary pig-dogs, or similar. It may be UK Left Network (started in 2000) or one of its predecessors.
  • Options
    Might I be so bold and leave you with this idea as a nightcap?

TRUSS.

Her time?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,987
    edited April 5

TRUSS.

Her time?

Nearly midnight?
    39 minutes to feed her.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,827

TRUSS.

Her time?

I think you mean

T

R

U

S

S

???
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    ohnotnow said:

Eabhal said:

DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

DavidL said:

Eabhal said:

You could evict them if you were moving a family member in. And charged them market rent.

Oddly, many landlords did that then - oh my! - the family member moved back out and they had to re-list the property at a much higher rent!

Ohno!...
    What sort of numbers are there for that specific scenario? I’m quite willing to believe in rentier cnutiness but it seems quite a lot of trouble to go to for those kind of folk.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,851
    GIN1138 said:

TRUSS.

Her time?

I think you mean

[deleted]
    As previously indicated, posting posts with one letter per line triggers a spam trap and the mods receive a notification, which they have to track down. If you continue to do so they may ask you to stop or temporarily ban you, which has happened at least once in the past
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,827
    edited April 5
    viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

TRUSS.

Her time?

I think you mean

[deleted]
    As previously indicated, posting posts with one letter per line triggers a spam trap and the mods receive a notification, which they have to track down. If you continue to do so they may ask you to stop or temporarily ban you, which has happened at least once in the past
    I'm still standing for now... 👀
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,359
    MattW said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Do tell?

Jones spent his college years editing Wikipedia to push a certain view of Israel:

Owen Jones was down the extreme left rabbit hole from his mid teens, and has still not recovered from the excursion imo in that his foundations are screwy.

If you look in the Yahoo Email Group archives, you can still find him as a wiggling mid-teen I think demanding that everybody outside his one man groupuscoule (sp?) are counter-revolutionary pig-dogs, or similar. It may be UK Left Network (started in 2000) or one of its predecessors.
    Definitely lost the plot in the Corbyn years though. He used to be capable of some fairly thoughtful stuff from a certain perspective. Now he just endlessly spews hate. Would be sad to see but has become so bitter and twisted.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598
    MJW said:

MattW said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Do tell?

Definitely lost the plot in the Corbyn years though. He used to be capable of some fairly thoughtful stuff from a certain perspective. Now he just endlessly spews hate. Would be sad to see but has become so bitter and twisted.
    It tells you how long it is since I looked that - checking - Yahoo Groups closed down finally in 2020.

It is possibly to trace things via the Internet Archive, however.

No I won't be trying.

But this is an interesting reflection from Phil who was active then, who is still blogging at A Very Public Sociologist, who's political positions I disagree with but who has always been an enjoyable read:

https://averypublicsociologist.blogspot.com/2010/04/10-years-of-uk-left-network.html
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    edited April 5
    TIMES YOUGOV MRP - LABOUR VOTE FAR MORE EFFICIENT THAN IN 2019:

"Overall, Labour’s vote share is up by only three percentage points in seats it already holds, compared with more than eight points in seats held by the Conservatives, suggesting Labour is becoming more “efficient” by winning voters in the right places in a first-past-the-post system. In seats held by the SNP, Labour’s vote share is up 15 points, putting it on course to become Scotland’s largest party again.

The size of Labour’s predicted majority is aided by a collapse in Conservative support as Reform UK eats into its vote share. The Tories are down 26 points in seats they are defending against Labour............

[Reform UK] is up 14 points in seats the Tories are defending against Labour, but only six points in ones Labour is defending against the Tories. This helps turn a decisive win into a landslide as Labour is on course to win 175 of the 277 seats where it came second to the Conservatives last time."
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,711
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,851
    Andy_JS said:
    Indeed. We are lucky that we don't spend so much time online, particularly on disreputable betting sites.

Oh.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,205

There's a Titanic II movie. Amazing.

Raise the Titanic.

As was said about it at the time, it would have been cheaper to lower the ocean.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

TRUSS.

Her time?

I think you mean

T

R

U

S

S

???
    Beware the Spam Trapper @GIN1138 🤣. Men less brave than I have spent many moons in its clutches
This discussion has been closed.