Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Some good news for Sunak – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,050
    viewcode said:

Apocalypse Now just started on BBC2. Stop doing whatever you are doing and watch...

INdeed. I still remember it from when it came out. Shortly after I had read the revelations about Cambodia and Laos.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,084
    It's the Final Cut version, so it has extra scenes. They just stole a surfboard.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,965
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:
    I like it. Quirky.
    It's one of her best pictures, IMO. Slightly more natural than Thatcher with the calf.

Bryant being unduly sniffy.
    I think Truss has an appealingly cheeky grin myself. That may lose me some points with some.
    She does there.
    Often she just looks slightly demented (irrespective if whether she is or not). She's one of those people who don't photograph well for some reason. Photographer did a great job with this one.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,972
    viewcode said:

Talons/Freedom Fighters for ground attack. Rubbish for anything else. Good for dropping napalm though "I love the smell of napalm in the morning".

(Likely WSB misquote)

"It could almost have been Disneyland - if it wasn't for the smell of gasoline and burning flesh..."
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,617
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:
    I like it. Quirky.
    It's one of her best pictures, IMO. Slightly more natural than Thatcher with the calf.

I think Truss has an appealingly cheeky grin myself. That may lose me some points with some.
    In an idle moment I looked at the replies to a Liz Truss Twitter post expressing fairly bland sympathy for something recently (Kate I think?). It was really quite extraordinarily horrid. I say this as someone who believes in free speech, but the woman must have a hide of leather just to get out of bed in the morning sometimes.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,509
    ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:
    I like it. Quirky.
    I like how the twat describes the lamb as a 'captive' lamb, as if Truss is so repugnant that even a lamb would have to be compelled by the threat of imminent mint sauce to be cuddled by her. These ghouls really over-egg things sometimes.
    My Easter listening this year :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12RnKyivaVc

Low: I Am The Lamb.
    "Well, Clarice, have the lambs stopped screaming?"
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,549

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

With a few exceptions, if there is no pavement, walk facing the traffic.

What gets me is when cars overtake from behind me. I'm walking facing the traffic, and suddenly a wing mirror is flashing past me at what feels like a zillion miles an hour. It's rare, as most drivers are not inconsiderate @sshats, but it's blooming frightening for a millisecond when it happens.

This is something I learned growing up in the countryside. Sadly in London nobody seems to understand that it is legitimate.
    Me too - drilled into me.
    Have you been at a brothel too?
    No. Tufty and Wolf Cubs/Cub Scouts. More innocent in those days than yours, I see.
    I once stood on the left of the escalator.
    That’s a mighty posh establishment, that has an escalator.
  • Options
    It's Kilgore's surfboard. The extra scenes are spoiling it. It's not as good as the original.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,890
    viewcode said:

It's Kilgore's surfboard. The extra scenes are spoiling it. It's not as good as the original.

This is the version with the French plantation scenes too.

I prefer it.
  • Options
    Frederick Forrest is a sauciere. Martin Sheen doesn't know what that is. They go quiet. Tiger. "Never get out of the boat"
  • Options
    Foxy said:

viewcode said:

I prefer it.
    Nah. The french plantation scenes are good but unnecessary. Remove everything until you can't removing anything more without breaking it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,965
    Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Apocalypse Now just started on BBC2. Stop doing whatever you are doing and watch...

INdeed. I still remember it from when it came out. Shortly after I had read the revelations about Cambodia and Laos.
    Saw it then too.
    The soundtrack was amazing in a big cinema. I still remember the helicopters vibrating the whole building.

Murch was a genius.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,428
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:
    I like it. Quirky.

I am hardly a supporter of Truss but that picture is lovely with the Church and of course a lamb is symbolic of Easter

For once I am on her side
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,689

Just a wee reminder before I go to bed that the Scottish Hate Crime bill comes into force at midnight. After that time, it will be safer for you all to be nice to me, @Theuniondivvie, @malcolmg, @DavidL, and all other Scots. We, in turn, will have to be nice to everyone.

I am always nice to the Scots - I have been married to one for 60 years in six weeks time
    30 years for me in 7.5 months time. Might have cracked the accent by then.
  • Options
    edited March 31
    viewcode said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

I prefer it.
    Nah. The french plantation scenes are good but unnecessary. Remove everything until you can't removing anything more without breaking it.
    One thing that changes as they move upriver, and into ever more dangerous places is that more and more of the soldiers they encounter are African Americans. Realism, or part of the Heart of Darkness motif?
  • Options
    kjh said:

Just a wee reminder before I go to bed that the Scottish Hate Crime bill comes into force at midnight. After that time, it will be safer for you all to be nice to me, @Theuniondivvie, @malcolmg, @DavidL, and all other Scots. We, in turn, will have to be nice to everyone.

I am always nice to the Scots - I have been married to one for 60 years in six weeks time
    Having lived in Berwick for my teenage years then lived and worked in Edinburgh I am fortunate never to have had a problem with either their specific words or accents
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,689

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:
    I like it. Quirky.

In an idle moment I looked at the replies to a Liz Truss Twitter post expressing fairly bland sympathy for something recently (Kate I think?). It was really quite extraordinarily horrid. I say this as someone who believes in free speech, but the woman must have a hide of leather just to get out of bed in the morning sometimes.
    Anyone who engages in electoral politics damn well ought to have epidermis thicker than a bull elephant.

That goes for everybody from Prime Minister to privy counsellor . . . as in overseeer of Lower Bognor Water Works District . . .
  • Options
    Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

I prefer it.
    One thing that changes as they move upriver, and into ever more dangerous places is that more and more of the soldiers they encounter are African Americans. Realism, or part of the Heart of Darkness motif?
    The playboy bunny scene is longer in this version and makes more sense. But it's not as good ☹️
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,868

Eabhal said:

A

A

Eabhal said:

Not even Jeremy Corbyn disliked the UK as much as the Tories do.

Hi from London, “crime capital of the world”.
    In Birmingham? Beware “rotting rubbish” and “boarded-up buildings”.
    Manchester is “the worst city in Europe for eco-friendly transport”.
    The ruling party’s new social media campaign is doing wonders for tourism

https://x.com/simoncalder/status/1774318764646941143?s=46&t=rw5lNVUgmRPVyKpxfV_pPQ

You have to admire the cheek of criticising a lack of eco-friendly transport in Manchester while railing against London's cycle lanes.
    The local cycle lanes appear to have been designed by people who once saw a picture of a bicycle. After being dug and rebuilt multiple times., they are slightly less insane.

Just need to take out the electric moped riders who push all the other users out of them.
    Having just got a 'road' bike after decades of riding mountain bikes, I'm surprised how different the experience is. I was a very relaxed cyclist on a mountain bike, as it could go over *most* potholes and imperfections on the road, allowing me to get closer to the kerb. I am trying to go faster on my road bike, and I feel any imperfections of the road's surface on my bum and hands, so I ride wider and faster.

It's a rather different mental state, and a somewhat more 'aggressive' one.
    I commute on a gravel bike which is a good compromise imo. The 40c tyres take most of the hits.

But this is a wider problem with cycling in the UK. Most cyclists dress for battle - helmets, lights, high vis, riding on the drops. The objective is as short a trip as possible, rather than most enjoyable. The cycle lanes are often hand laid and deeply uncomfortable to ride on, and the roads are experiencing an enormous increase in larger vehicle traffic and therefore potholes (fourth power law).

Contrast to Europe. Sedate, no helmets, step-through, 50:50 gender balance, slow paced, no need for a shower. That's what London and the rest of the UK need to achieve.

(FYI cycling close up the kerb is advised against - less reaction time for vehicles pulling out of side roads, less visible to cars from behind, induces close passes, more likely to hit a pedestrian.)
    TBF, I'm i the 'battle' group at the moment because I'm training for my first sprint triathlon. I just want to ensure I won't be last. Oh, and complete the bugger. ;)

I'm discovering the mindset is rather different when trying to go fast instead of pootling around slowly. Although I did around 70km yesterday and really enjoyed it. Generally quiet country roads, though.

As I'm coming from a running background, I actually feel more threatened when running on roads rather than cycling. So far, at least...
    I have given up jogging now, and just walk sometimes on country roads.
    What I don't like is the fact that when there is a pavement to walk on in a village , the speed limit is 30,
    but when the pavement runs out and I have to actually walk in the road with the traffic, the limit goes up to 60!
    With a few exceptions, if there is no pavement, walk facing the traffic.

What gets me is when cars overtake from behind me. I'm walking facing the traffic, and suddenly a wing mirror is flashing past me at what feels like a zillion miles an hour. It's rare, as most drivers are not inconsiderate @sshats, but it's blooming frightening for a millisecond when it happens.
    Yes, I tend to walk on the right hand side. The exceptions for me are - walk on the outside not the inside of bends and walk on the left when approaching the brow of a hill.
    A couple of years ago I actually got clipped by a wing mirror - and I was on the (left side) pavement at the time.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

I prefer it.
    Mostly realism.

Also more White Trash than White Privleged ended up out in the boondocks with the VC.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:
    I like it. Quirky.

Anyone who engages in electoral politics damn well ought to have epidermis thicker than a bull elephant.

That goes for everybody from Prime Minister to privy counsellor . . . as in overseeer of Lower Bognor Water Works District . . .
    True. I wouldn't have people not allowed to slate politicians. I was slightly taken aback by the volume of vituperative replies to something so bland and well-meaning though. However, not really worthy of anyone's attention.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,863
    edited March 31
    carnforth said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Nigelb said:
    Recently I keep seeing pictures of thatched churches, but I’ve never seen one in person. Which part of the country are they hiding in?
    From that flint wall presumably Norfolk.
    Thanks. Seen a couple of round towers in Cambridgeshire, so I wondered if it were close.
    It appears to be entirely boarded up and with security fencing all around it.

Edit: Actually below the line, someone's AI'd (sorry) up Liz inside the church with what demonics happen next and it's a very, very cute rendering of La Truss. Oh, dear, cold shower time.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,208

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:
    I like it. Quirky.

I wonder what nickname a British Trump would use for Loopy Liz?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nicknames_used_by_Donald_Trump
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,815
    The past and future, and in his
    mind current president of the United States wishes us a happy Easter.

• Options
    Too many notes, Mozart. The extra scenes add texture. I don't want added texture. It was perfectly good as an impressionist series of scenes. Oh look, Lawrence Fishburne is drumming. Pointlessly.
  • Options

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

I prefer it.
    Mostly realism.

Also more White Trash than White Privleged ended up out in the boondocks with the VC.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_100,000
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Yet many leading Tories and REFUK support him.
  • Options

kjh said:

Having lived in Berwick for my teenage years then lived and worked in Edinburgh I am fortunate never to have had a problem with either their specific words or accents
    Do you - and native Berwickers - call the town "Barrack" as in building housing soldiers?

And NOT "Ber-wick"?
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 806
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I ought to add that I do not pretend nationalisation banishes all problems — hell, I remember British Rail. But it does give us a degree of control, which, to our enormous detriment, we have lost. At least with a state-owned water industry we can’t blame anyone else...

And if they rip off the bill payers, at least the proceeds stay in the country.
    The problem is not so much private vs public as

1) Nothing must be done.
    2) in order to protect a variety of interests, reform or improvement is impossible.

See the argument that pension funds (foreign and domestic) might catch a cold if Thames Water isn’t allowed to put everything on the bill payers. Likewise Freehold/Leasehold reform.

Earlier, someone was suggesting that the dislocation of business in West London was a reason not to move Heathrow. In the dozens of big airport moves around the globe, similar business has to adapt to the fact that about 10 years from “go”, they would have to move.

Similar arguments were made to not move or modernise British shipbuilding. That worked out really well, didn’t it?
    I hope you prove wrong, but I suspect you're right.
    We'll agree to put up bills to bail out a Canadian pension fund and some Chinese investors...

For the first time in my life, I want a Labour government to nationalise something.
    The same pressures will occur if it is nationalised - “must protect the pension funds and the foreigners from the results of their own folly.”
    Why ?
    Thames is likely to be insolvent within 18 months. The government can take it over without obligation to make either shareholders or bond holders whole.

They wouldn't even have to legislate to do so.
    The parent company (Kemble) will be insolvent before the end of April. The equity and high yield bond holders there may well be wiped out or converted to equity in the very short term. Like by Tuesday.

The regulated entity is more complex. The bonds there are 'whole business securitisations'. Put simply, if the bonds default there (in a year or two), the bond holders can take ownership of the existing sewers and pipes etc directly in order to sell or lease back to whatever phoenix company (government owned or not) takes over operational responsibility.

But even just wiping out the unsecured equity and bond holders at the parent company level would make the company more viable going forward.

• Options

kjh said:

Do you - and native Berwickers - call the town "Barrack" as in building housing soldiers?

And NOT "Ber-wick"?
    It's usually pronounced Berrick.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

I prefer it.
    Mostly realism.

Hence Forrest Gump and Bubba.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Have you mastered "hoot, mon!" Also calling everyone & thing up to and including Big Bertha "wee"?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Foxy said:

FF43 said:

They are twats.
  • Options
    edited March 31

kjh said:

And NOT "Ber-wick"?
    The King's Own Scottish Borderers were in barracks there until 1963 and my sister had a KOSB boyfriend

The town was always Berwick or to some Berwick-upon-Tweed
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

I prefer it.
    Mostly realism.

That is NOT what I'm talking about, not at all.

What I mean, is that if you were a draftee from a poor family, without middle-class background, education, connections, resources, from rural and small town, or big city lower class hoods, your chances of ending up in actual combat were GREATLY increased.

Had zero to do with being stupid. Same with the classic Southern phrase "White Trash".

Problem for them being lack of opportunity NOT lack of brains.
  • Options

Foxy said:

FF43 said:

They are twats.
    The unacceptable face of REFUK and some Reform leaning right wing so called conservatives
  • Options
    Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

I prefer it.
    Mostly realism.

Forrest Gump being named for Nathan Bedford Forrest, Confederate General and first Grand Wizard of the KKK.

• Options
    Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

I prefer it.
    Mostly realism.

They just had the boat shoot-up scene. It's longer. It makes more sense. It illustrates the characters. But so did the shorter version, and did it better. Not so much the Final Cut as the Pointlessly Wordy First Draft.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:
    I like it. Quirky.

True. I wouldn't have people not allowed to slate politicians. I was slightly taken aback by the volume of vituperative replies to something so bland and well-meaning though. However, not really worthy of anyone's attention.
    You're point is valid, as is mine. And it IS worthy of attention, methinks - just not of wonder.

Personally feel most for the RELATIVES of politicos, especially children.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,697

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I ought to add that I do not pretend nationalisation banishes all problems — hell, I remember British Rail. But it does give us a degree of control, which, to our enormous detriment, we have lost. At least with a state-owned water industry we can’t blame anyone else...

1) Nothing must be done.
    2) in order to protect a variety of interests, reform or improvement is impossible.

See the argument that pension funds (foreign and domestic) might catch a cold if Thames Water isn’t allowed to put everything on the bill payers. Likewise Freehold/Leasehold reform.

Earlier, someone was suggesting that the dislocation of business in West London was a reason not to move Heathrow. In the dozens of big airport moves around the globe, similar business has to adapt to the fact that about 10 years from “go”, they would have to move.

Similar arguments were made to not move or modernise British shipbuilding. That worked out really well, didn’t it?
    We'll agree to put up bills to bail out a Canadian pension fund and some Chinese investors...

For the first time in my life, I want a Labour government to nationalise something.
    The same pressures will occur if it is nationalised - “must protect the pension funds and the foreigners from the results of their own folly.”
    Why ?
    Thames is likely to be insolvent within 18 months. The government can take it over without obligation to make either shareholders or bond holders whole.

If the bond holders and the shareholders get hit, that *is* the pension funds, foreign and domestic.

Which the Treasury is arguing must be protected. Same for Freehold/Leasehold.

They aren’t going to change their tune. Nationalisation or bankruptcy or whatever.

The same advice will go to Starmer and Co. Protect the investors and screw the customers.
    Pension funds are a bit of a nuisance. My understanding is that one of the reasons that we don't introduce severe penalties for commercial buildings falling into disrepair and blighting High Streets is that pension funds are balls deep in commercial property investments.
    It’s a very convenient excuse for all kinds of #NU10Kism. If all kinds of loses are crystallised, then Proper People might have to answer difficult questions.

Questions like - “Why are you so fucking useless?”

So It’s In Everyone’s* Interests To Keep The Show On The Road.

*about 10K of the population, actually. But they count.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    viewcode said:

One of my friends was in the Vietnam war.

He played saxophone in that Playboy Bunnies tour.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,259
    Pro_Rata said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Nigelb said:
    Recently I keep seeing pictures of thatched churches, but I’ve never seen one in person. Which part of the country are they hiding in?
    Thanks. Seen a couple of round towers in Cambridgeshire, so I wondered if it were close.
    It appears to be entirely boarded up and with security fencing all around it.

Edit: Actually below the line, someone's AI'd (sorry) up Liz inside the church with what demonics happen next and it's a very, very cute rendering of La Truss. Oh, dear, cold shower time.
    Given the £200k that new roof must have cost, I think we can assume the church is in good hands.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

1) Nothing must be done.

Why ?

If the bond holders and the shareholders get hit, that *is* the pension funds, foreign and domestic.

Which the Treasury is arguing must be protected. Same for Freehold/Leasehold.

They aren’t going to change their tune. Nationalisation or bankruptcy or whatever.

The same advice will go to Starmer and Co. Protect the investors and screw the customers.
    Pension funds are a bit of a nuisance. My understanding is that one of the reasons that we don't introduce severe penalties for commercial buildings falling into disrepair and blighting High Streets is that pension funds are balls deep in commercial property investments.
    It’s a very convenient excuse for all kinds of #NU10Kism. If all kinds of loses are crystallised, then Proper People might have to answer difficult questions.

Questions like - “Why are you so fucking useless?”

So It’s In Everyone’s* Interests To Keep The Show On The Road.

*about 10K of the population, actually. But they count.
    Sounds about right. And of course if the economy was firing well on all cylinders, pension funds would be able to have a lot more variety in their portfolios anyway. Someone's going to have to make some beef burgers out of some sacred cows if we're going to get anywhere.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,056
    The main item in today's Sunday Times Magazine:

"Tsar of the small screen:

The social psychologist Jonathan Haidt thinks the evidence is now conclusive: the smartphone and social media have ruined young people's lives. He tells Decca Aitkenhead how we can save a generation".
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,509
    @viewcode

Watching "Con Air" on Channel 4 instead...

#guiltypleasure
  • Options
    edited March 31
    The French in the mist. Ghosts from a previous existence or maybe an alternate one. A different form of madness to Colonel Kilgore, the USO show, the Bridge, Kurtz...
  • Options

@viewcode

Watching "Con Air" on Channel 4 instead...

#guiltypleasure

Probably the better choice, tbh...
  • Options
    viewcode said:

It's the Final Cut version, so it has extra scenes. They just stole a surfboard.

Never seen this film. Something to look forward to.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The French in the mist. Ghosts from a previous existence or maybe an alternate one. A different form of madness to Colonel Kilgore, the USO show, the Bridge, Kurtz...

It brings the drama to a screaming halt. There was a clean line from the madness on the bridge to arriving at Kurtz. But now we're spending 20-30mins with the French. Yes, he gets laid but it makes no sense. Ach, but this sucks.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Foxy said:

It brings the drama to a screaming halt. There was a clean line from the madness on the bridge to arriving at Kurtz. But now we're spending 20-30mins with the French. Yes, he gets laid but it makes no sense. Ach, but this sucks.
    Like the French family, he can never go home. Neither could Kurtz.
  • Options
    edited March 31
    Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

Quite possibly the best War Movie of all time.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

It’s not about war
  • Options
    Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Like the French family, he can never go home. Neither could Kurtz.
    I know that. But he said it faster in fewer words and better images in the original. This longer version is like shouting poetry.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

It’s not about war
    Well it ain't no RomCom!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

See the shorter, original version, if it's still available. This version has too many notes.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

It’s not about war
    Well it ain't no RomCom!
    It’s about how the quest for perfect clarity, logic and casting aside all the hypocrisies of society leads to the…. ultimate insanity.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

It’s not about war
    Well it ain't no RomCom!
    It’s about how the quest for perfect clarity, logic and casting aside all the hypocrisies of society leads to the…. ultimate insanity.
    It's about many things. It's about what war does to people, its about the madness of leadership. It's about never being able to go home again, like Haldemans Forever War. It's about a journey up river to the dark heart of man.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

See the shorter, original version, if it's still available. This version has too many notes.
    The Final Cut is Coppalas preferred version.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

Sometimes the worse thing to do to a genius is to give them full rein. They don't know when to stop. Even Terrence Malick has better pacing than this.
  • Options
    Oh thank goodness that's over. That...was not the experience I was hoping for.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,163
    Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

And the better version.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,536
    The recent discussion here reminds me of a fact (factoid?) I read long ago: A black man drafted from DC, and sent into combat in Vietnam, was less likely to get killed than if he had stayed in DC.

True? Wouldn't swear to it, but it isn't implausible. And it is consistent with a long indifference here, and elsewhere, to the murders of blacks -- as long as the murderers are also black. (For an example, just look at the aftermath of the Rwandan genocide.)

(As far as I know, there has never been a big Hollywood movie about the Cambodian auto-genocide.)
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,819
    FF43 said:

MattW said:

Nigelb said:

Are the U.S. courts going to wait until someone is actually attacked before they deal with the blatant breaches if bail conditions ?

Trump is now posting PHOTOS of Judge Juan Merchan's daughter on Truth Social. I'd say this has gone too far, but it had gone too far months ago.

Someone needs to hold him in contempt. HE IS OUT ON BAIL. This is simply unacceptable and has been for a long time.

https://twitter.com/MuellerSheWrote/status/1774231808479232315

Good analysis here.

I concur with the short vid that normal bail conditions have not been applied to Trump. If a defendant is considered to be a threat to even one member of the public, they receive pre-trial detention rather than bail.

There has never been a criminal trial of a former US President before, and the institutions are being timid and are fighting shy of applying the law equally.

It's an indicator that the system needs an overhaul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFaO0-KljbU
    Donald Trump clearly WANTS to be jailed - if only for a brief period - BEFORE the November 2024 election.

Personally am NOT all that eager to see him get his wish.
    "Lock him up!" has a certain ring to it. I think I heard it somewhere before.
    Because he is a danger to the public, he needs to be held in jail up until his trials. For two or three years, if need be, incommunicado.

That would perhaps stop him using artificial delay as his only tactic.

The system is currently treating Trump as being above the law. That cannot stand.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,165

The recent discussion here reminds me of a fact (factoid?) I read long ago: A black man drafted from DC, and sent into combat in Vietnam, was less likely to get killed than if he had stayed in DC.

True? Wouldn't swear to it, but it isn't implausible. And it is consistent with a long indifference here, and elsewhere, to the murders of blacks -- as long as the murderers are also black. (For an example, just look at the aftermath of the Rwandan genocide.)

(As far as I know, there has never been a big Hollywood movie about the Cambodian auto-genocide.)

I believe it's a "true and not true" factoid. He would have been more likely to die in DC than in combat in Vietnam. But, of course, a lot of deaths were not in combat.
  • Options
    1992 — original video for U R The Best Thing by D:Ream. What a song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hoyn-XqD3Y
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 596
    Foxy said:

Chris said:

A sad news report about a political activist coming to the same conclusion most do - "she will not put her fingers in letterboxes again" - but unfortunately in her case too late:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-68703087

Use a wooden spoon to push them through, a tip I got on PB.
    Very popular in Wales....
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,373
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,623
    New thread.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,160
    carnforth said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Nigelb said:
    I love round tower churches. They're mostly East Anglian (mainly Norfolk/Suffolk) with, as you say, some in Cambridgeshire. There's also outliers on the South Downs near Lewes, and a couple more near Newbury (which I always forget...).

https://www.roundtowers.org.uk/find-by-map/
This discussion has been closed.