Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Happy first anniversay First Minister – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,520
    rcs1000 said:

Three are a joke. They have a pole of wonder at the bottom of Market Street/The Arndale and you get over 1,000 Mbps, walk further up Market Street to Piccadilly Station and you are lucky to get 2 Mbps.

I'm not sure who came up with this "pole of wonder" nonsense but it's a silly term.

They may have several hundred poles around the country that have these gigabit speeds but they are so oddly spread out and in many cases supplementing coverage from hilltop or rooftop sites that as you say, are providing nothing like those speeds. So you end up on a two tier network.

Vodafone, O2 and EE have their problems but certainly have logical grid designs. Three's is just nonsensical to me. I am sure people that live next to one think their network is the greatest thing in the universe but travelling around, I am failing to see any evidence much has really changed.

No wonder they want to merge with Vodafone.
    Just sign up for Starlink and be done.
    Starlink is great for home Internet access, so long as you live in a rural area. But that's it.
    Actually, Starlink directly connected to your phone is on the way. First satellites are up there, and several US networks have signed up “coverage gap filling” deals

https://www.starlink.com/business/direct-to-cell
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,561

rcs1000 said:

Three are a joke. They have a pole of wonder at the bottom of Market Street/The Arndale and you get over 1,000 Mbps, walk further up Market Street to Piccadilly Station and you are lucky to get 2 Mbps.

I'm not sure who came up with this "pole of wonder" nonsense but it's a silly term.

They may have several hundred poles around the country that have these gigabit speeds but they are so oddly spread out and in many cases supplementing coverage from hilltop or rooftop sites that as you say, are providing nothing like those speeds. So you end up on a two tier network.

Vodafone, O2 and EE have their problems but certainly have logical grid designs. Three's is just nonsensical to me. I am sure people that live next to one think their network is the greatest thing in the universe but travelling around, I am failing to see any evidence much has really changed.

Starlink is great for home Internet access, so long as you live in a rural area. But that's it.
    The estate agents who showed us round a home recently had it for their office (because the fibre cabinet in town was full) and they thought it was magic. They wouldn't use anything else now.
    Hm. Would I follow any estate agent's recommendation? I think not.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Ok, since it's Easter I feel I should ruminate. For me Atheism is the refusal to believe in something for which there is not a shred of evidence. It's deeply rational. Whereas Religion is a leap of pure faith taken as a way of fending off the (literally) unthinkable horror of an eternal nothing, thus easing a person's passage through this one and only life that we have. This is irrational and rational at the same time. It's irrational, because faith can't be otherwise, and it's rational because it's a cost free solution to a problem that for many people cannot be solved in any other way.

There is no 'rational' evidence, in the sense in which you mean 'rational', for the existence of minds other than one's own. It is an empirical assumption, not an empirical conclusion.

But there are overwhelmingly strong grounds for thinking that other minds exist, for example in the heads of most if not all PB contributors.

Similarly there is no evidence for either the divine creation or the non-divine self-creation of the universe, but there are compelling grounds for both positions.

Theism/religion and atheism/non-religion are on a precisely equal footing.
    Hmm, not sure about that. I'd say the existence of 'other similar minds' has such compelling circumstantial evidence in favour that it's pretty much a done deal.

As for 'divine' vs 'non-divine' creation of the universe itself, we can't conceive of either. It's beyond our ken and always will be because it isn't a matter of not knowing enough, the question itself is beyond our frame of reference. So, yes, an equal footing in that regard.

But this doesn't mean Religion and Atheism are equally rational. They are wholly different. One is refusal to believe without evidence. The other is irrational faith rationally embraced to solve a mental problem.
    What are your thoughts on the apparent fine tuning of the universe?
    https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/fine-tuning/
    If we aren't part of a multiverse, then there's strong case it's the result of a designer.
    Fascinating ideas there. The trouble is, I literally can't think about how the universe was created because it takes you to questions like "What was there before?" and "Without time what does *before* mean anyway?" and "What is Nothing?" etc etc - questions which are inherently unanswerable, regardless of how science progresses. It's not only above our heads, it's above what's above our heads.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,386
    Is Jeffrey Donaldson doing his bit for a united Ireland with his own GUBU scandal?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,425

rcs1000 said:

Actually, Starlink directly connected to your phone is on the way. First satellites are up there, and several US networks have signed up “coverage gap filling” deals

I found Starlink everywhere in Colombia, do the satellites sit above Bogota? Is that how it works?

I've never seen it appear on my phone's wifi systems before, not even in Ukraine. But in Colombia: ubiquitous
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

rcs1000 said:

The estate agents who showed us round a home recently had it for their office (because the fibre cabinet in town was full) and they thought it was magic. They wouldn't use anything else now.
    Deceptively spacious bandwidth.
  • Options

Is Jeffrey Donaldson doing his bit for a united Ireland with his own GUBU scandal?

Nope.

There seems to be a curious strain of hope (especially among Remainers) that everyone in NI will wake up in the morning and suddenly want to join the South.

The polls are solidly against this happening. As is the social structure. Which, by the way, is supported by the Good Friday Agreement. Which froze the communities in place.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Ok, since it's Easter I feel I should ruminate. For me Atheism is the refusal to believe in something for which there is not a shred of evidence. It's deeply rational. Whereas Religion is a leap of pure faith taken as a way of fending off the (literally) unthinkable horror of an eternal nothing, thus easing a person's passage through this one and only life that we have. This is irrational and rational at the same time. It's irrational, because faith can't be otherwise, and it's rational because it's a cost free solution to a problem that for many people cannot be solved in any other way.

There is no 'rational' evidence, in the sense in which you mean 'rational', for the existence of minds other than one's own. It is an empirical assumption, not an empirical conclusion.

But there are overwhelmingly strong grounds for thinking that other minds exist, for example in the heads of most if not all PB contributors.

Similarly there is no evidence for either the divine creation or the non-divine self-creation of the universe, but there are compelling grounds for both positions.

Hmm, not sure about that. I'd say the existence of 'other similar minds' has such compelling circumstantial evidence in favour that it's pretty much a done deal.

As for 'divine' vs 'non-divine' creation of the universe itself, we can't conceive of either. It's beyond our ken and always will be because it isn't a matter of not knowing enough, the question itself is beyond our frame of reference. So, yes, an equal footing in that regard.

But this doesn't mean Religion and Atheism are equally rational. They are wholly different. One is refusal to believe without evidence. The other is irrational faith rationally embraced to solve a mental problem.
    If we aren't part of a multiverse, then there's strong case it's the result of a designer.
    Fascinating ideas there. The trouble is, I literally can't think about how the universe was created because it takes you to questions like "What was there before?" and "Without time what does *before* mean anyway?" and "What is Nothing?" etc etc - questions which are inherently unanswerable, regardless of how science progresses. It's not only above our heads, it's above what's above our heads.
    If you admit you don't know and cannot know the answers to all these questions, how can you KNOW there is no God?

You might as well believe. Take Pascal's Wager
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,272
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I’ve had historic sex a couple of times. It is quite something, I’d hate to get arrested for it

Thoughts and prayers for Mr Donaldson

Thoughts and prayers for any alleged victims.
    You're right. And actually historic sex is brilliant, and probably worth being arrested for, so I shall cease my sympathies
    Is historic sex when one hasn't had sex for years?
  • Options
    edited March 29

rcs1000 said:

The issue is actually numbers of subscribers per square KM. Starlink has so much bandwidth it can share between users in the same satellite footprint. Though with each generation of satellite, they are making the spots smaller and increasing the data rate.

What this means is that if you are the only person within a km or 2 on Starlink, you will get fibre(ish) like speeds. If more, close to you join, it will go down.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

I’ve had historic sex a couple of times. It is quite something, I’d hate to get arrested for it

You're right. And actually historic sex is brilliant, and probably worth being arrested for, so I shall cease my sympathies
    No, it's when you have a "Kundalini orgasm" and it begins somewhere in your groin then surges up through your body, particularly your spine, and kind of explodes out of your head, taking several minutes to do this

I've had two. I never believed in them - thought it was hippy woowoo nonsense - until I had my first. OMFG. The second made my head wobble like an Indian shopkeeper in a racist sitcom
  • Options
    TrentTrent Posts: 150
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

I found Starlink everywhere in Colombia, do the satellites sit above Bogota? Is that how it works?

I've never seen it appear on my phone's wifi systems before, not even in Ukraine. But in Colombia: ubiquitous
    Time for you to go to Venezuela Leon. Be adventurous.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

No, it's when you have a "Kundalini orgasm" and it begins somewhere in your groin then surges up through your body, particularly your spine, and kind of explodes out of your head, taking several minutes to do this

I've had two. I never believed in them - thought it was hippy woowoo nonsense - until I had my first. OMFG. The second made my head wobble like an Indian shopkeeper in a racist sitcom
    You mean there are other types of orgasms than Kundalini? Who knew...
  • Options
    Trent said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

That was on my list. But then I looked at the homicide rate in Caracas

Crackers. How do they survive? It's so violent it makes Colombian cities look like Newent

I'm heading back to Colombia tho. Gotta do Mompos for the Gazette
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,272
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I didn't know masturbation could be so productive.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    Another candidate for having an honour forfeited steps forward.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,386

Nope.

There seems to be a curious strain of hope (especially among Remainers) that everyone in NI will wake up in the morning and suddenly want to join the South.

The polls are solidly against this happening. As is the social structure. Which, by the way, is supported by the Good Friday Agreement. Which froze the communities in place.
    Yes, yes, killjoy. But I only added that in because the alternative was simply typing:

GUBU!
  • Options
    edited March 29

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Actually you can get reasonably close to it via wanking. Tantric wanking. It's a thing. Have a go. Knock yourself out!

Edit to add: my first kundalini was actually a wank, albeit via another. I went to a Tantric sex session with my then wife in a basement in Covent Garden. Again, I thought it was all hippy woo rubbish, but it turns out Tantra is real

Six couples naked in a big room. All doing Tantra on each other. She gave me a handjob which took about an hour and eventually I climaxed with a sort of frenzied shaking, left me gasping: true Kundalini orgasm

The second one was via actual sex and it was even better

Well, you did ask
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

If you admit you don't know and cannot know the answers to all these questions, how can you KNOW there is no God?

That's why I said Religion can be viewed as a rational embrace of irrationality. You just have to be able to exercise the required doublethink. I can't but I'm pleased for anybody who can. The absolute best, though, is if you don't need to believe in the first place. I'm even more pleased for those people.
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 584
    edited March 29

Nope.

Perceived benefits of the Union among those from both Protestant and Catholic backgrounds used to include the NHS. That dates back to the day when people thought the NHS might eventually give them the treatment they needed, when GP creeps didn't mostly hide from their patients as they've been doing for the past four years, and when there was even reasonable dental treatment available in the state insurance system.

I wonder how many people from the 6C use British passports nowadays when they visit the continent.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

That was on my list. But then I looked at the homicide rate in Caracas

Crackers. How do they survive? It's so violent it makes Colombian cities look like Newent

I'm heading back to Colombia tho. Gotta do Mompos for the Gazette
    Yeah its unsafe even in the airport. You would need a local venezuelan contact for sure.
  • Options
    OK so this is weird

I've never actually researched kundalini orgasms before, I just got told that's what I was experiencing

Here is what it is supposed to feel like

"Kundalini & Full Body Orgasm

Kundalini is a Sanskrit term from ancient India that refers to the feminine primal energy that coils at the base of the spine (when lying dormant) in all people. It then runs up the spine and through the chakra system to the back of the head/neck when awakened or aroused. You may have seen images of a serpent coiled around the base of a spine, then running up through the seven chakras. It is otherwise known as Chi, Jing, sexual energy or Pranic energy."

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/kundalini-full-body-orgasm-catherine-lyell

Jiminy Cricket. That is EXACTLY what I experienced. Twice. So it really really really is a thing

Hard recommend
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

That's why I said Religion can be viewed as a rational embrace of irrationality. You just have to be able to exercise the required doublethink. I can't but I'm pleased for anybody who can. The absolute best, though, is if you don't need to believe in the first place. I'm even more pleased for those people.
    When you come to believe, it does not spring from neediness, it is forced upon you, it more of an irruption, a brutal revelation, and you submit because you must (the Arabic word Islam = "submission to God")
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Actually you can get reasonably close to it via wanking. Tantric wanking. It's a thing. Have a go. Knock yourself out!

Edit to add: my first kundalini was actually a wank, albeit via another. I went to a Tantric sex session with my then wife in a basement in Covent Garden. Again, I thought it was all hippy woo rubbish, but it turns out Tantra is real

Six couples naked in a big room. All doing Tantra on each other. She gave me a handjob which took about an hour and eventually I climaxed with a sort of frenzied shaking, left me gasping: true Kundalini orgasm

Well, you did ask
    Is this your entry for the next "Bad Sex in Fiction" award? If so, it needs a little polish. ;)
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,804
    IanB2 said:

We could do it in bulk, just like the New Years Day Honours list, we could have the Easter Honours Removal Day list, save time on the paperwork.
  • Options
    edited March 29
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

When you come to believe, it does not spring from neediness, it is forced upon you, it more of an irruption, a brutal revelation, and you submit because you must (the Arabic word Islam = "submission to God")
    Well that's the Monkees take on it. And then I saw His face, now I'm a Believer. Not a trace of Doubt in my mind.

Be great, but I'm still waiting. Maybe this evening.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

You can approach it from the angle of sociology, looking at the huge range of religions and related belief-systems conjured up by humanity across the planet and millennia, and notice that it’s inherent in human nature to make up stories to explain things we don’t understand (something I am sure you can relate to), and then wonder how likely it is that all these religions are rubbish except one, compared to their all being 100% imagination.

Or you can put aside the question of the creator and consider whether, even if that were true, it makes any sense at all to worship it.

But fundamentally, the problem of who created the creator remains, with any answer you can give for the creator just as easily applied to the universe.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,879
    edited March 29
    viewcode said:

It's worse than you think. The fake photo is of a B29, but the text identifies it as a B52. What kind of fake journalist makes up a story with the wrong fake bomber?
    Surely a B-32? Look at the position of the wings, and (i think) a stepped nose with discrete pilots' canopy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consolidated_B-32_Dominator#/media/File:B32.jpg

But that doesn't change your point.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,508

Shocking push notification from the FT, I am going to riot.

You listen to Miley Cyrus…?!
    I do.

Do you have a problem with that?

Just listen to these two songs and you’ll be a fan too.

https://youtu.be/NbdRLyixJpc?si=HXbBvin1l1YDbvJK

and

https://youtu.be/G7KNmW9a75Y?si=quSuNIpdP0X1dWUj
    Please tell me she hasn't been putting her strangulated cat vocals on the classic Sweet Female Attitude tune.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Well, you did ask
    Is this your entry for the next "Bad Sex in Fiction" award? If so, it needs a little polish. ;)
    Don't you mean a little fluff?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Well that's more the Monkees take on it - And then I saw His face, now I'm a Believer.

TURN ON THE WIFI

I'm serious. Think of it as a wifi signal, you're not gonna access the Net = find God - unless you turn on the wifi first

To do this, you must make yourself receptive (= turning on the wifi). As I say that can be chanting, yoga, ayahuasca, fasting, meditation, going to warzones, living as a hermit, praying intensely for three hundred days, there are many routes. You're not stupid, do a bit of research, press the button

THEN if you are lucky you will pick up a signal; of course you might not, as well. But that is the essential first step

I sense you are sitting there in Hampstead with your laptop saying "Pfff, there's no signal" - listen to yourself slurring religion as "double think" and "irrationality". That's the wifi turned off. You are not receptive. TURN ON THE WIFI

I think I have made my metaphorical point, now
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    Presumably those posters who go AWOL for the next hour are taking Leon's advice.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

You can approach it from the angle of sociology, looking at the huge range of religions and related belief-systems conjured up by humanity across the planet and millennia, and notice that it’s inherent in human nature to make up stories to explain things we don’t understand (something I am sure you can relate to), and then wonder how likely it is that all these religions are rubbish except one, compared to their all being 100% imagination.

Or you can put aside the question of the creator and consider whether, even if that were true, it makes any sense at all to worship it.

But fundamentally, the problem of who created the creator remains, with any answer you can give for the creator just as easily applied to the universe.
    Yeah, no, I think I'll just ignore the thoughts of "IanB2 off of PB" when it comes to religion. Sorry
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    Let's refrain from speculation or reporting of unsubstantiated rumours on the Donaldson case.
  • Options

Shocking push notification from the FT, I am going to riot.

Miley Cyrus fan are we?

And Nothing Nowhere? I thought you were an O2 fan.
    Flowers and her Heart of Glass cover are wonderful tracks.

I still have an o2 sim in the phone if you look closely, I also have a Three eSIM too.

o2 has been unusable in central Manchester for years.

This is what I get in central Manchester with EE and elsewhere.

EE has been unusable indoors for years.
    Less of an issue with WiFi calling.

Edit. That Speedtest was taken indoors.
    As a side point, I thought I'd try Three for a week as I'd been constantly told about how good their network apparently is now.

Well these poles of wonder only seem to be existing in random places, certainly not Central London where the performance was so poor outside Victoria that I had to go back to my O2 SIM.

I have no doubt at all Three can provide these amazing speeds - but their rollout plan seems to be providing them to random fields in the middle of nowhere. Certainly not a sustainable plan.
    I was wondering for a moment what sort of 'speed' was relevant to lapdancing clubs and what this new unit was.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,277
    @Leon you're a weather wimp

British weather is bracing, and it's becoming quite exciting

I've enjoyed hail, snow, heavy rain, fierce winds, long grey still periods, and beautiful sunshine in the last week

The next fortnight looks quite similar

I haven't stopped and won't stop smiling
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,044

rcs1000 said:

Sure, but it's still very much rural only, because the starlink signals aren't very good at penetrating walls, trees, etc.
  • Options
    edited March 29
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

What you are seeing is Starlink being used for backhaul. Your phone connects to a phone mast normally, and that phone mast is connected to the world via Starlink. Similarly, public WiFi is being provided in some places using Starlink as the connection from the WiFi base station to the rest of the world.

This means not having to run miles of fibre optic cable to remote areas, repeaters etc.

Probably the biggest area for the LEO constellations is backhaul. It’s already ubiquitous on cruise ships. The passengers just get fast WiFi

OneWeb is, in fact, only selling backhaul. They do not offer direct connections to customers.

Starlink is in LEO. This means the satellites zip overhead every few minutes. You can access it pretty much anywhere, pole to pole.

It consists of more satellites than the rest of the world has. Full stop. Visualisation here

https://www.reddit.com/r/EngineeringPorn/s/Mo01bXgh2w

• Options
    edited March 29

@Leon you're a weather wimp

British weather is bracing, and it's becoming quite exciting

I've enjoyed hail, snow, heavy rain, fierce winds, long grey still periods, and beautiful sunshine in the last week

The next fortnight looks quite similar

I haven't stopped and won't stop smiling

Indeed, and to be fair it has brightened here in the rugged Primrose Hill borderlands. I am staring at a brisk and fractured sky with some piercing sunshine, if you actually get the sun on your face it feels positively warm, as it should, we are past the Vernal Equinox
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sure, but it's still very much rural only, because the starlink signals aren't very good at penetrating walls, trees, etc.
    Says? Never had a problem. I'm surrounded by large ancient trees.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

The estate agents who showed us round a house recently had it for their office (because the fibre cabinet in town was full) and they thought it was magic. They wouldn't use anything else now.
    I've used it in an Airbnb, and onboard JSX flights.

The latter is very interesting: when you are flying over LA, you get 3-4 mb/s, and it's terribly slow, because there are a whole bunch of people trying to share relatively little bandwidth. But once you cross the Sierra Nevada mountains, then you suddenly get a few hundred megabits a second, and it stays that way until you hit the Phoenix suburbs.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,668

Presumably those posters who go AWOL for the next hour are taking Leon's advice.

I've been AWOL, but just to be clear, I have been delivering leaflets. I don't want people getting the wrong ideas.
  • Options
    kjh said:

I've been AWOL, but just to be clear, I have been delivering leaflets. I don't want people getting the wrong ideas.
    Oh, is that the latest euphemism?
  • Options
    edited March 29

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

What you are seeing is Starlink being used for backhaul. Your phone connects to a phone mast normally, and that phone mast is connected to the world via Starlink. Similarly, public WiFi is being provided in some places using Starlink as the connection from the WiFi base station to the rest of the world.

This means not having to run miles of fibre optic cable to remote areas, repeaters etc.

Probably the biggest area for the LEO constellations is backhaul. It’s already ubiquitous on cruise ships. The passengers just get fast WiFi

OneWeb is, in fact, only selling backhaul. They do not offer direct connections to customers.

Starlink is in LEO. This means the satellites zip overhead every few minutes. You can access it pretty much anywhere, pole to pole.

It consists of more satellites than the rest of the world has. Full stop. Visualisation here

Wow. That told me everything I need to know! Thankyou

People who diss Musk are ridiculous. His achievements are phenomenal, on the Lex Fridman/Sam Altman podcast Friedman said he thinks Musk is a "great maker, perhaps the greatest maker ever"

Seems about right to me. He's up there with people like Brunel, or even Tesla
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Well that's more the Monkees take on it - And then I saw His face, now I'm a Believer.

TURN ON THE WIFI

I'm serious. Think of it as a wifi signal, you're not gonna access the Net = find God - unless you turn on the wifi first

To do this, you must make yourself receptive (= turning on the wifi). As I say that can be chanting, yoga, ayahuasca, fasting, meditation, going to warzones, living as a hermit, praying intensely for three hundred days, there are many routes. You're not stupid, do a bit of research, press the button

THEN if you are lucky you will pick up a signal; of course you might not, as well. But that is the essential first step

I sense you are sitting there in Hampstead with your laptop saying "Pfff, there's no signal" - listen to yourself slurring religion as "double think" and "irrationality". That's the wifi turned off. You are not receptive. TURN ON THE WIFI

My sense is you don't actually believe but have decided to tell yourself that you do. Which is perfectly fine and not something I should mess with. This is an area where I have no wish to probe beyond the point of comfort.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    Leon said:

Free will is an illusion

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about this and I’ve decided that’s the answer.

(My bolding)

If free will's an illusion, you didn't do any deciding, did you?
    Because a decision means there was the possibility of choosing the other way.
    Choice means there was free will.

So a decision that there is no free will proves that there is free will.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,803
    Here's an interesting question imo: if your self from around the year 2000 or late 90s could read the style of comments on PB (and other blogsites) today, what would they think: nothing out of the ordinary, or slightly bizarre?
  • Options
    kjh said:

Hand delivered.

Exactly!
  • Options

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

PS that visualisation of Starlink is superb

4500 satellites!!! All around the world. Phenomenal

TBH this probably knocks What3Words into a cocked hat, and I don't say that lightly
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

TURN ON THE WIFI

My sense is you don't actually believe but have decided to tell yourself that you do. Which is perfectly fine and not something I should mess with. This is an area where I have no wish to probe beyond the point of comfort.
    Tsk. I am genuinely trying to help you, because you sound like you would actually quite like to believe. But you respond with trolling. Tedious
  • Options

Leon said:

Free will is an illusion

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about this and I’ve decided that’s the answer.

(My bolding)

If free will's an illusion, you didn't do any deciding, did you?
    Because a decision means there was the possibility of choosing the other way.
    Choice means there was free will.

So a decision that there is no free will proves that there is free will.
    Although if it's a really compelling illusion he will genuinely think he's decided.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

TURN ON THE WIFI

Tsk. I am genuinely trying to help you, because you sound like you would actually quite like to believe. But you respond with trolling. Tedious
    Nope. I'm being serious, you are trolling.
  • Options

I wish he’d take his own advice, then
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,472
    Leon said:

OK so this is weird

I've never actually researched kundalini orgasms before, I just got told that's what I was experiencing

Kundalini is a Sanskrit term from ancient India that refers to the feminine primal energy that coils at the base of the spine (when lying dormant) in all people. It then runs up the spine and through the chakra system to the back of the head/neck when awakened or aroused. You may have seen images of a serpent coiled around the base of a spine, then running up through the seven chakras. It is otherwise known as Chi, Jing, sexual energy or Pranic energy."

Jiminy Cricket. That is EXACTLY what I experienced. Twice. So it really really really is a thing

Hard recommend

Leon said:

OK so this is weird

Hard recommend

It's 2pm. On Good Friday.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

TURN ON THE WIFI

Nope. I'm being serious, you are trolling.
    I'm absolutely not. You can believe me or otherwise, why should I care? But, also, why should I lie? About this?

I do have a religious faith, nor is it some recent thing, I've discussed it occasionally for a loooooooong time. Generally I don't mention it because its very personal, and often quite dull (like other people's dreams, as someone here said). But we are discussing God on this Good Friday and I am giving you sincere advice, I believe in this wifi metaphor, to the extent it's the best way I can eff the ineffable. You will never achieve faith as long as you are so sternly resistant, veging on contemptuous, you are switched off

Turn yourself on. Is my honest advice. Then spiritual Starlink might suddenly appear on your mental phone. I can do no more than tell you that. Good luck
  • Options

Leon said:

OK so this is weird

Hard recommend

Leon said:

OK so this is weird

Hard recommend

And this place should have a notice on its front door, ‘beware of the twat’.
  • Options

Leon said:

OK so this is weird

Hard recommend

Leon said:

OK so this is weird

Hard recommend

I've moved on to God now
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038

Good afternoon, everyone. Lovely sunny afternoon here.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,965
    It’s all getting a bit Matthew McConaughey

https://youtube.com/shorts/NlkZ4-2ThsM?si=TrYx_ecrwNGUniuN
  • Options

Good afternoon, everyone. Lovely sunny afternoon here.
    Good afternoon, OKC! Intermittently sunny here. Mrs C gardening, on and off.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    A gentle reminder that Trump also claims to have faith.
    Which rather devalues any public declarations - though perhaps not faith itself.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Which rather devalues any public declarations - though perhaps not faith itself.

What a load of bollocks

That's like the smokers who say Hitler was anti-smoking, nerr nerr

All kinds of evil people have been public believers, all kinds of evil people have been avowed non believers

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Lots of horrible people have proclaimed their faith, through history. In a range of religions. Several of which emphasise kindness and empathy.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Lots of horrible people have proclaimed their faith, through history. In a range of religions. Several of which emphasise kindness and empathy.
    Of all the many many arguments I have heard against the Existence of God, and there have been millions, some made by very smart people, absolutely the worst is "Trump also says he believes in God"
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    In response to a query FPT - I've stood down from the cross-party council Executive in Surrey and will be resigning my council seat before long. My employer is still in the area (though I'm wfh) so technically I could stay on, but it makes sense to concentrate my political work in one place.
  • Options
    To move on from God and sex for a moment, this Service Charge thing is becoming an absolute scandal

"My one-bed flat's service charge is now £16K a year"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c884m42lvk8o

Surely this is one good thing we can expect from Starmer and Labour. The Tories are pathetically enslaved by the landlords and builders, the parasitic rentiers and leeching freeholders

Labour is not thus encumbered. It needs to sort this out immediately. Reform the lease/freehold system and stop these insane service charges
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,623
    Nigelb said:

Keep wondering - how many eager buyers of Trump's Bible, are expecting to see HIS words printed in red?
  • Options
    "What a load of bollocks"

Self criticism IS good for PB's own Soul of the Newest Machine.
  • Options
    Piquantly, by forcing the Tories to scupper their reforms of the Freehold system, the pension funds/landlords/wankers have probably ensured they will now face much more hostile and punitive legislation from Labour

GOOD

I might even vote Labour just because of this. I hope that doesn't upset @kinabalu too much
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Keep wondering - how many eager buyers of Trump's Bible, are expecting to see HIS words printed in red?
    Is anyone allowed to print a Bible? I believe at one time, at least in the UK, the printing of Bibles was restricted to one or two printers. Caused, I believe, difficulties in Wales because the ‘permitted’ printers weren’t keen on producing them in the Welsh language.
  • Options
    edited March 29
    BBC says Donaldson charged with rape and multiple other offences.
  • Options
    2 female victims.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Is anyone allowed to print a Bible? I believe at one time, at least in the UK, the printing of Bibles was restricted to one or two printers. Caused, I believe, difficulties in Wales because the ‘permitted’ printers weren’t keen on producing them in the Welsh language.
    Depends on the translation - the old ones, like the King James are out of copyright. Tons of ebook versions out there…

The aptly named Guttenberg Project has it -

https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/10/pg10-images.html
  • Options

Donkeys said:

Donkeys said:

I never thought I'd see the day when the individuals in Britain who have enough backbone to criticise the horrors of current conditions seem mostly to come from the hereditary aristocracy - Charles Spencer being a current example. Another they are currently trying to lock up. A third is a friend who is being atrociously dragged through it.

Doubtless some see Spencer as a terrible egg who has let the side down, horsewhipping is too good for the bedwetter, etc.

Something is going on here.

This drift is probably of a kind with what you get when what used to be the social-democratic or socialist contingent in the public-sector middle class has basically disappeared, leaving e.g. elements in the church to take up the slack. I don't see e.g. the Labour Party running soup kitchens or food "banks". Practically nobody in the middle class gives a fuck about any section of the proles whatsoever, with the exception of some in the church and some of the other religious organisations, to whom respect is due. It's mostly Thatcherite "fuck you - I'm all right Jack", dressed up in extreme objectifying behaviourist truth-dentist language at the interface, from those who are employed to be anywhere near the interface.

Anyway, 👍 to Charles Spencer.
    I think you're mistaken. I know at least four Labour councillors who help in food banks, and three Liberal Democrats and a Green as well. I'm sure some Tories do too. They just don't talk about it as part of politics - I suspect it feels all wrong to say "Vote for me, I help in a food bank". It comes under the general "helping out in the community" heading, and quite a lot of councillors are genuinely keen on that.
    I would not be surprised if there was not much difference between the amount of do-gooding (for want of a better term) and political affiliation. It may not be food banks, but there are lots of Conservatives who give their time to help out various charities and causes.

IMV devils and angels do not split on party affiliation.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,721
    IanB2 said:

Donaldson was knighted under David Cameron, IIRC.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,065
    edited March 29

Nigelb said:

It used to be Royal Printers (after Elizabeth first) and the Oxford and Cambridge uni presses that had the right to print the authorised Bible, but there were loopholes- printing it with annotations for example
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,065

IanB2 said:

Donaldson was knighted under David Cameron, IIRC.
    Kinky
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951

Nigelb said:

It used to be Royal Printers (after Elizabeth first) and the Oxford and Cambridge uni presses that had the right to print the authorised Bible, but there were loopholes- printing it with annotations for example
    Or printing it abroad....
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Nigelb said:

Or printing it abroad....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Bible_monopolies_campaigns
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

PS that visualisation of Starlink is superb

4500 satellites!!! All around the world. Phenomenal

TBH this probably knocks What3Words into a cocked hat, and I don't say that lightly
    I think SpaceX (including Starlink) is worth 10x Tesla.

• Options
    The crane they've brought in to tackle the Baltimore Bridge isn't going to be beefy enough to do the job quickly. Only 1,000 tonne life capability. Someone's going to have to do a lot of cutting, given that weight will go down due to positioning/reach and safety factors.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68693499
  • Options
    Jeffrey Donaldson’s first political job was as the constituency agent for Enoch Powell.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,823

2 female victims.

I really don't like the conclusion that the few known facts and his Wikipedia personal life bio lead towards on the possible nature of the allegations.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,498
    Spent my 49th Good Friday on the planet pootling around Cheshire on my bike. On the way back into Manchester aling the Bridgewater Canal, a pedestrian I was approaching from behind reacted to my bell and my 'excuse me please' not by looking round to see which side I was passing on but by guessing and steppung directly in frint of me at the critical moment. Now the Bridgewater Canal towpath is a good quality cycle path, but nit particularly good for sliding along on the palms of your hands trying to prevent an unscheduled dip in the canal.

Ouch.
    However, I did have a better day than this fella.

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    Leon said:

Free will is an illusion

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about this and I’ve decided that’s the answer. It’s an illusion. We are autocomplete machines but we are part of a wider mechanism - the glittering matrix of consciousness, sewn into the dark fabric of the multiverse, in silver filaments of divine fire - which DOES have purpose, meaning, teleological beauty

Also it’s gonna be overcast til Tuesday

I have of late
    But wherefore I know not
    Lost all my mirth
    This goodly frame
    The earth
    Seems to me a sterile promontory
    This most excellent canopy
    The air-- look you!
    This brave o'erhanging firmament
    This majestical roof
    Fretted with golden fire
    Why it appears no other thing to me
    Than a foul and pestilent congregation
    Of vapors
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    Leon said:

To move on from God and sex for a moment, this Service Charge thing is becoming an absolute scandal

Surely this is one good thing we can expect from Starmer and Labour. The Tories are pathetically enslaved by the landlords and builders, the parasitic rentiers and leeching freeholders

Labour is not thus encumbered. It needs to sort this out immediately. Reform the lease/freehold system and stop these insane service charges

I fear you are getting triggered by these clickbait articles in to 'autocomplete outrage'.

From what I understand the service charges simply represent the cost of maintaining a property - but in the case of new build flats are inflated by intermediaries (managing agents), greater regulation (particularly the building safety act 2022 re buildings more than 7 storeys high), the risk averse approach to commissioning work, the need for work to unavoidably comply with health and safety legislation (no short cuts with white van builders), surveyors fees on top of everything else, etc. And then, there is rapid inflation due to the general cost of building work post Covid with material price increases, labour shortages etc, wage increases etc. With new build you have a particular problem of regulatory requirements including maintenance being loaded on at planning stage.

I don't think this is freeholders scamming the system. This may be a very small part of the system and there are probably commissions and kickbacks but it is unjustified to present the situation as this being the fundamental cause of the problem. The problem is a) people don't believe to pay similar levels to what people pay for flat maintenance in other comparable countries and b) regulation, build costs, case law etc.

The flats in the barbican are expecting a bill of £85k each for replacement windows.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/zone-1-news/barbican-flat-owners-could-charged-26474162

Labour can (and should) legislate for more transparency over charges, review the legislation regarding Right to Manage , look at making freehold purchase easier, remove forfeiture; but in all probability that is all that can be achieved.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Spent my 49th Good Friday on the planet pootling around Cheshire on my bike. On the way back into Manchester aling the Bridgewater Canal, a pedestrian I was approaching from behind reacted to my bell and my 'excuse me please' not by looking round to see which side I was passing on but by guessing and steppung directly in frint of me at the critical moment. Now the Bridgewater Canal towpath is a good quality cycle path, but nit particularly good for sliding along on the palms of your hands trying to prevent an unscheduled dip in the canal.

Ouch.

Anyway, that aside, I had a perfectly nice time. Let me further soam the thread with thw view from Alderley Edge (which is the nearest proper hill one can cycle to from here, about an hour away at my pace - that flatness of South Manchester is my one major lament about the place) and a nice picture of a rainbow.

Wonderful picture of the rainbow over the canal.

As for your hands, reckon that pic is good advertising, for wearing gloves when bicycling?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I’ve got one of the annotated versions, printed by a firm in Scotland. Must have brought on a cough or two at the printers as it’s in Welsh. Belonged to my grandmother, who inherited it from her father. Both were bilingual, although as Grandma ended her days in Essex she didn’t use Yr hen iaith (sp) much in her later years.
  • Options
    edited March 29
    darkage said:

Leon said:

I fear you are getting triggered by these clickbait articles in to 'autocomplete outrage'.

From what I understand the service charges simply represent the cost of maintaining a property - but in the case of new build flats are inflated by intermediaries (managing agents), greater regulation (particularly the building safety act 2022 re buildings more than 7 storeys high), the risk averse approach to commissioning work, the need for work to unavoidably comply with health and safety legislation (no short cuts with white van builders), surveyors fees on top of everything else, etc. And then, there is rapid inflation due to the general cost of building work post Covid with material price increases, labour shortages etc, wage increases etc. With new build you have a particular problem of regulatory requirements including maintenance being loaded on at planning stage.

I don't think this is freeholders scamming the system. This may be a very small part of the system and there are probably commissions and kickbacks but it is unjustified to present the situation as this being the fundamental cause of the problem. The problem is a) people don't believe to pay similar levels to what people pay for flat maintenance in other comparable countries and b) regulation, build costs, case law etc.

The flats in the barbican are expecting a bill of £85k each for replacement windows.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/zone-1-news/barbican-flat-owners-could-charged-26474162

Labour can (and should) legislate for more transparency over charges, review the legislation regarding Right to Manage , look at making freehold purchase easier, remove forfeiture; but in all probability that is all that can be achieved.
    No, I'm getting triggered by the fact that the managers of my freehold recently landed the leaseholders, including me, with a whopping four figure bill - each - simply to unblock a drain. Literally. One afternoon, with one man, unblocking a drain

So they inflated the cost outrageously, and I am sure it is a scam, it is so easy to do - and we leaseholders just have to lump it. As that is the law, as things stand, well done the Tory party, stupid greedy dorks

Previously the management has generally been fine, but now this?? Pffffffgrrr

Reform the system from top to bottom, get rid of leasehold entirely, and if the profiteers squeal, fuck em
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,498

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Ouch.

Anyway, that aside, I had a perfectly nice time. Let me further soam the thread with thw view from Alderley Edge (which is the nearest proper hill one can cycle to from here, about an hour away at my pace - that flatness of South Manchester is my one major lament about the place) and a nice picture of a rainbow.

Wonderful picture of the rainbow over the canal.

As for your hands, reckon that pic is good advertising, for wearing gloves when bicycling?
    Indeed! I WAS wearinga helmet. But my head was unscathed.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,845
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Colombia is near the Equator (where most satellites sit), and hilly terrain makes landlines/cable difficult.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,803

I have never cycled on a canal tow path. Due to the proximity of a canal.

I tried doing it a few years ago but it was so bumpy I had to stop after about 5 mins.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    edited March 29
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

No, I'm getting triggered by the fact that the managers of my freehold recently landed the leaseholders, including me, with a whopping four figure bill - each - simply to unblock a drain. Literally. One afternoon, with one man, unblocking a drain

So they inflated the cost outrageously, and I am sure it is a scam, it is so easy to do - and we leaseholders just have to lump it. As that is the law, as things stand, well done the Tory party, stupid greedy dorks

Previously the management has generally been fine, but now this?? Pffffffgrrr

Reform the system from top to bottom, get rid of leasehold entirely, and if the profiteers squeal, fuck em
    Yeah that is what I am saying though - they can legislate about transparency over charges, that is about as far as they can go. The drain situation doesn't sound good but I don't think these local authorities/housing associations referred to in the article are part of a great scam, they are just no good at keeping costs down.

I've been self managing a block and it has been a total ballache but at least you have control over the situation. For instance we had a quote from a contractor of £2000 to paint two windows, the scaffold etc was already in place. We just painted the windows ourselves, unpaid in our free time, it took two of us a few hours. There was no scam in the £2000 quote but I can see how it would look like this to others were we to have proceeded with it.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,593
    kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

No time for a full response - it's Good Friday, but my theism is based on the 'compelling circumstantial evidence' too.
    No probs. I've made a note in my little green book. You owe me 'compelling circumstantial evidence' that the universe was created by a divine being. To say I'm looking forward to it is the understatement of deep time since it would rock my world.
    Recall that I said there was compelling circumstantial evidence for both divine creation and for non-divine self creation of the universe.

In brief, 'divine' (meaning for this purpose that behind the universe as a whole lies intention and will) creation.Top 10 points, none of which prove in the strict sense anything at all:

1) Fine tuning of the universe
    2) The apparent objectivity of values
    3) Design
    4) The emergence of the non-material (mental events) in the material
    5) Freewill
    6) The regularity of physical law
    7) The problem of the big bang
    8) Why is there something rather than nothing
    9) The abstract capacities of maths
    10) Altruism

Sorry it's brief. each of these 10 is a book.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,094
    @glasgowmurphy

Congratulations to Humza Yousaf on his first anniversary as First Minister.

A 🧵 of his most significant achievements to date.

He is the only SNP First Minister not to have been arrested.

Ends.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Wow some people dont earn much more than that in a year.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@glasgowmurphy

Congratulations to Humza Yousaf on his first anniversary as First Minister.

A 🧵 of his most significant achievements to date.

He is the only SNP First Minister not to have been arrested.

Ends.

You obviously like that so much you've repeated it from the header! :smile:

Mind, Mr Murphy is obviously still feeling sour.
This discussion has been closed.