Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Happy first anniversay First Minister – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,062
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

A gentle reminder that Trump also claims to have faith.
    Which rather devalues any public declarations - though perhaps not faith itself.

What a load of bollocks

That's like the smokers who say Hitler was anti-smoking, nerr nerr

All kinds of evil people have been public believers, all kinds of evil people have been avowed non believers

Matthew 23 is "a load of bollocks" says Leon.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,118
    Scott_xP said:

@glasgowmurphy

Congratulations to Humza Yousaf on his first anniversary as First Minister.

A 🧵 of his most significant achievements to date.

He is the only SNP First Minister not to have been arrested.

Ends.

Give him time. Neither of his predecessors were arrested in their first year.
  • Options
    TrentTrent Posts: 150
    From what i was saying this morning about russian attacks on Ukraine critical infrastructure this from Mikael Valtersson a former office in the swedish armed forces.

ANALYSIS A NEW PHASE OF THE WAR, MARCH 29th 2024

It becomes more and more clear that the Russo-ukrainian war has entered a new phase with the large scale attacks on Ukrainian power plants. Last night the large Hydroelectric power plants (HPPs) in Kamienske (1), Kremenchuk (2) and Kaniv (3) and a number of Thermal power plants (TPPs) was hit. On March 22 the large HPP in Zaporizhia (purple) as well as a number of TPPs, for example in Kharkov and Odessa, was attacked.

Until now the Russian attacks towards the energy network in Ukraine has been focused on the power distribution system and damages have been easy to repair quickly. This new campaign is a much more serious threat since its focus is towards the power production facilities. These might take years to repair or replace.

Why has Russia shifted its focus? I honestly expected a much more concentrated campaign towards big power plants, bridges over the Dniepr and railways, already in the Autumn of 2022. The reasons this didn't happen are twofold. First of all Russia didn't want to destroy the critical infrastructure in Ukraine, because they hoped to minimise reconstruction costs and Russia also still hoped that Ukraine would get a change of regime that would lead to Ukraine once again becoming allied to Russia. Russia didn't want its future ally to be a wasteland.

The second reason Russia didn't attack the critical infrastructure was that Ukraine still had a strong Air Defence (AD) network and Russia had a limited number of weapon systems to use. Now Ukraine has very limited AD resources and Russia has drastically increased weapons production.

Russia seems to have come to the conclusion that it's more important to actually defeat Ukraine than to preserve critical infrastructure for a unlikely future allied Ukraine. This means that Russia probably expect to take on the heavy burden of rebuilding critical infrastructure after the war, but that cost is less important than the cost of not winning a clear victory in the war.

Since Russian gloves are off regarding critical infrastructure, we can assume that Russia now take the war very seriously. They didn't start doing it until the Autumn of 2022. But after the loss of western Kherson oblast and eastern Kharkov oblast Russia began a step by step increase transforming into a war economy and mindset.

https://x.com/MikaelValterss1/status/1773688120610807964?s=20

• Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Which rather devalues any public declarations - though perhaps not faith itself.

Lots of horrible people have proclaimed their faith, through history. In a range of religions. Several of which emphasise kindness and empathy.
    Of all the many many arguments I have heard against the Existence of God, and there have been millions, some made by very smart people, absolutely the worst is "Trump also says he believes in God"
    Comprehension fail there, old boy.
    That's precisely not what I said.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,460
    Leon said:

Piquantly, by forcing the Tories to scupper their reforms of the Freehold system, the pension funds/landlords/wankers have probably ensured they will now face much more hostile and punitive legislation from Labour

GOOD

I might even vote Labour just because of this. I hope that doesn't upset @kinabalu too much

It actually would. So if it happens (it won't) I'd prefer you kept it to yourself.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,545
    Andy_JS said:

I have never cycled on a canal tow path. Due to the proximity of a canal.

I tried doing it a few years ago but it was so bumpy I had to stop after about 5 mins.
    In my defence, the stretch from Manchester to Altrincham is actually designated a cycle route, qnd nicely surfaced. Unless you are sliding along it on your hands.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,724
    edited March 29
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Piquantly, by forcing the Tories to scupper their reforms of the Freehold system, the pension funds/landlords/wankers have probably ensured they will now face much more hostile and punitive legislation from Labour

GOOD

I might even vote Labour just because of this. I hope that doesn't upset @kinabalu too much

It actually would. So if it happens (it won't) I'd prefer you kept it to yourself.
    I think it will, soz boz apolibobs

For the one and only time in my life I'll be able to say "I voted for the prime minister", as he will be my MP

The Tories are gonna lose anyway, Starmer is gonna win anyway, might as well give him a big majority, who knows, maybe he can actually enact serious reform of the NHS - and rhe freehold system!

As things stand I am 97% sure I will vote Labour. Just this once. I share your pain
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,211
    Trent said:

From what i was saying this morning about russian attacks on Ukraine critical infrastructure this from Mikael Valtersson a former office in the swedish armed forces.

It becomes more and more clear that the Russo-ukrainian war has entered a new phase with the large scale attacks on Ukrainian power plants. Last night the large Hydroelectric power plants (HPPs) in Kamienske (1), Kremenchuk (2) and Kaniv (3) and a number of Thermal power plants (TPPs) was hit. On March 22 the large HPP in Zaporizhia (purple) as well as a number of TPPs, for example in Kharkov and Odessa, was attacked.

Until now the Russian attacks towards the energy network in Ukraine has been focused on the power distribution system and damages have been easy to repair quickly. This new campaign is a much more serious threat since its focus is towards the power production facilities. These might take years to repair or replace.

Why has Russia shifted its focus? I honestly expected a much more concentrated campaign towards big power plants, bridges over the Dniepr and railways, already in the Autumn of 2022. The reasons this didn't happen are twofold. First of all Russia didn't want to destroy the critical infrastructure in Ukraine, because they hoped to minimise reconstruction costs and Russia also still hoped that Ukraine would get a change of regime that would lead to Ukraine once again becoming allied to Russia. Russia didn't want its future ally to be a wasteland.

The second reason Russia didn't attack the critical infrastructure was that Ukraine still had a strong Air Defence (AD) network and Russia had a limited number of weapon systems to use. Now Ukraine has very limited AD resources and Russia has drastically increased weapons production.

Russia seems to have come to the conclusion that it's more important to actually defeat Ukraine than to preserve critical infrastructure for a unlikely future allied Ukraine. This means that Russia probably expect to take on the heavy burden of rebuilding critical infrastructure after the war, but that cost is less important than the cost of not winning a clear victory in the war.

Since Russian gloves are off regarding critical infrastructure, we can assume that Russia now take the war very seriously. They didn't start doing it until the Autumn of 2022. But after the loss of western Kherson oblast and eastern Kharkov oblast Russia began a step by step increase transforming into a war economy and mindset.

Russian gloves have been off regarding critical infrastructure since the start of the war.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,537
    rcs1000 said:

Trent said:

Russian gloves have been off regarding critical infrastructure since the start of the war.

I was just thinking of all those issues with the Zaporizhia nuclear plant, that they first sabotaged and then only failed to blow up due to, it seems, a failure of nerve.

Or the blasting of the Kakhovkha Dam.

If those were not 'critical infrastructure' I hate to think what is.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,118
    Trent said:

To be honest, that sounds about right, from the reports. And a big bully will usually defeat a much smaller opponent, unless the small opponent can get in a crippling blow. David vs Goliath comes to mind; no-one expected David to win!
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Ok, since it's Easter I feel I should ruminate. For me Atheism is the refusal to believe in something for which there is not a shred of evidence. It's deeply rational. Whereas Religion is a leap of pure faith taken as a way of fending off the (literally) unthinkable horror of an eternal nothing, thus easing a person's passage through this one and only life that we have. This is irrational and rational at the same time. It's irrational, because faith can't be otherwise, and it's rational because it's a cost free solution to a problem that for many people cannot be solved in any other way.

There is no 'rational' evidence, in the sense in which you mean 'rational', for the existence of minds other than one's own. It is an empirical assumption, not an empirical conclusion.

But there are overwhelmingly strong grounds for thinking that other minds exist, for example in the heads of most if not all PB contributors.

Similarly there is no evidence for either the divine creation or the non-divine self-creation of the universe, but there are compelling grounds for both positions.

Theism/religion and atheism/non-religion are on a precisely equal footing.
    Hmm, not sure about that. I'd say the existence of 'other similar minds' has such compelling circumstantial evidence in favour that it's pretty much a done deal.

As for 'divine' vs 'non-divine' creation of the universe itself, we can't conceive of either. It's beyond our ken and always will be because it isn't a matter of not knowing enough, the question itself is beyond our frame of reference. So, yes, an equal footing in that regard.

But this doesn't mean Religion and Atheism are equally rational. They are wholly different. One is refusal to believe without evidence. The other is irrational faith rationally embraced to solve a mental problem.
    No time for a full response - it's Good Friday, but my theism is based on the 'compelling circumstantial evidence' too.
    No probs. I've made a note in my little green book. You owe me 'compelling circumstantial evidence' that the universe was created by a divine being. To say I'm looking forward to it is the understatement of deep time since it would rock my world.
    Recall that I said there was compelling circumstantial evidence for both divine creation and for non-divine self creation of the universe.

In brief, 'divine' (meaning for this purpose that behind the universe as a whole lies intention and will) creation.Top 10 points, none of which prove in the strict sense anything at all:

1) Fine tuning of the universe
    2) The apparent objectivity of values
    3) Design
    4) The emergence of the non-material (mental events) in the material
    5) Freewill
    6) The regularity of physical law
    7) The problem of the big bang
    8) Why is there something rather than nothing
    9) The abstract capacities of maths
    10) Altruism

Sorry it's brief. each of these 10 is a book.
    Ah ok. Yes, those are all interesting and relevant points. But the Big Picture here is you're trying to think your way to God and I'm not sure that's an authentic route. True religious belief imo comes from seeing Him. Which means a person having an experience which they interpret as being that. Perhaps I'm wrong and your belief does come from that and all this is intellectual backfill. Me, I never have and today has thus far been no exception. Certainly He wasn't in Tesco where I've just come back from. The queues were nothing short of harrowing.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@glasgowmurphy

Ends.

Give him time. Neither of his predecessors were arrested in their first year.
    If the attention has switched to NI he may yet get away with it.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,193
    rcs1000 said:

Trent said:

Yes, it's hardly a new thing. I'm also amused by: "we can assume that Russia now take the war very seriously."

They are forced to take it very seriously, as they're finding an enemy they hold in contempt to be much harder to beat than they expect. And part of that is because Putin doesn't understand *why* Ukraine doesn't want to be Russian.

And I tell our latest Russian troll something: even if Russia win; even if Russia take Ukraine from east to west, it will not be secure. What the Russophiles who screech 'peace' forget is that the reason Ukraine has not been beaten is because the population does not want to be under Russia's thumb. It doesn't matter how much you insult the Ukrainians; how much you preach a weirs reading of history; the Ukrainians want to make their own decisions for their future.

The only way Russia can 'win' this war will be with a military victory and then a massive pogrom and resettlement. And blood will be on the hands of those who screech 'peace!' on Russia's terms.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Trent said:

No, I don't believe they have

@trent may very well be a Putin-bot (or not) - you would know better than me. However what he/she says is largely correct here, in my view. The Russians didn't want a devastated Ukraine, they thought they could simply seize it, in toto, largely undamaged, by toppling the regime

That didn't happen. So they have been slowly coming round to the fact they have to treat this as total war, as defeat is not permissible, and Ukraine refuses to surrender in the way they want. That means they are willing to destroy Ukraine in order to capture it, and also Ukraine's defences are weaker, and Russia is now relatively stronger - the sanctions have basically failed - which is an added motivation

i fear @trent is right, and we should mentally prepare for some version of Ukrainian defeat, at least as a possibility, while still arming them as much as we can so the defeat is not too bad

If that makes me a fucking appeaser and a Putinist shill, so be it, it is how I see it. I am very much on the Ukrainian side, I have got drunk in Lviv with lovely brave Ukrainians, during this war, but the facts are the facts
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nice bit of drift on him lately. Always good to see.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Three are a joke. They have a pole of wonder at the bottom of Market Street/The Arndale and you get over 1,000 Mbps, walk further up Market Street to Piccadilly Station and you are lucky to get 2 Mbps.

I'm not sure who came up with this "pole of wonder" nonsense but it's a silly term.

They may have several hundred poles around the country that have these gigabit speeds but they are so oddly spread out and in many cases supplementing coverage from hilltop or rooftop sites that as you say, are providing nothing like those speeds. So you end up on a two tier network.

Vodafone, O2 and EE have their problems but certainly have logical grid designs. Three's is just nonsensical to me. I am sure people that live next to one think their network is the greatest thing in the universe but travelling around, I am failing to see any evidence much has really changed.

No wonder they want to merge with Vodafone.
    Just sign up for Starlink and be done.
    Starlink is great for home Internet access, so long as you live in a rural area. But that's it.
    Actually, Starlink directly connected to your phone is on the way. First satellites are up there, and several US networks have signed up “coverage gap filling” deals

https://www.starlink.com/business/direct-to-cell
    I found Starlink everywhere in Colombia, do the satellites sit above Bogota? Is that how it works?

I've never seen it appear on my phone's wifi systems before, not even in Ukraine. But in Colombia: ubiquitous
    What you are seeing is Starlink being used for backhaul. Your phone connects to a phone mast normally, and that phone mast is connected to the world via Starlink. Similarly, public WiFi is being provided in some places using Starlink as the connection from the WiFi base station to the rest of the world.

This means not having to run miles of fibre optic cable to remote areas, repeaters etc.

Probably the biggest area for the LEO constellations is backhaul. It’s already ubiquitous on cruise ships. The passengers just get fast WiFi

OneWeb is, in fact, only selling backhaul. They do not offer direct connections to customers.

Starlink is in LEO. This means the satellites zip overhead every few minutes. You can access it pretty much anywhere, pole to pole.

It consists of more satellites than the rest of the world has. Full stop. Visualisation here

https://www.reddit.com/r/EngineeringPorn/s/Mo01bXgh2w

PS that visualisation of Starlink is superb

4500 satellites!!! All around the world. Phenomenal

TBH this probably knocks What3Words into a cocked hat, and I don't say that lightly
    I think SpaceX (including Starlink) is worth 10x Tesla.

Probably true.

But how much is Tesla worth ?
    Highly uncertain for now.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Trent said:

@trent may very well be a Putin-bot (or not) - you would know better than me. However what he/she says is largely correct here, in my view. The Russians didn't want a devastated Ukraine, they thought they could simply seize it, in toto, largely undamaged, by toppling the regime

That didn't happen. So they have been slowly coming round to the fact they have to treat this as total war, as defeat is not permissible, and Ukraine refuses to surrender in the way they want. That means they are willing to destroy Ukraine in order to capture it, and also Ukraine's defences are weaker, and Russia is now relatively stronger - the sanctions have basically failed - which is an added motivation

i fear @trent is right, and we should mentally prepare for some version of Ukrainian defeat, at least as a possibility, while still arming them as much as we can so the defeat is not too bad

If that makes me a fucking appeaser and a Putinist shill, so be it, it is how I see it. I am very much on the Ukrainian side, I have got drunk in Lviv with lovely brave Ukrainians, during this war, but the facts are the facts
    "The Russians didn't want a devastated Ukraine,"

It's a shame that the evidence shows otherwise; e.g. the blowing of the Kherson dam, or the sh*t they've done in the east since 2014.

As ever, your 'facts' only have a nodding acquaintance with the truth.
  • Options

Trent said:

To be honest, that sounds about right, from the reports. And a big bully will usually defeat a much smaller opponent, unless the small opponent can get in a crippling blow. David vs Goliath comes to mind; no-one expected David to win!
    'David's' have often won in war, and especially long war. Afghanistan twice, as a recent example. Vietnam for another.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,670
    kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Ok, since it's Easter I feel I should ruminate. For me Atheism is the refusal to believe in something for which there is not a shred of evidence. It's deeply rational. Whereas Religion is a leap of pure faith taken as a way of fending off the (literally) unthinkable horror of an eternal nothing, thus easing a person's passage through this one and only life that we have. This is irrational and rational at the same time. It's irrational, because faith can't be otherwise, and it's rational because it's a cost free solution to a problem that for many people cannot be solved in any other way.

There is no 'rational' evidence, in the sense in which you mean 'rational', for the existence of minds other than one's own. It is an empirical assumption, not an empirical conclusion.

But there are overwhelmingly strong grounds for thinking that other minds exist, for example in the heads of most if not all PB contributors.

Similarly there is no evidence for either the divine creation or the non-divine self-creation of the universe, but there are compelling grounds for both positions.

Hmm, not sure about that. I'd say the existence of 'other similar minds' has such compelling circumstantial evidence in favour that it's pretty much a done deal.

As for 'divine' vs 'non-divine' creation of the universe itself, we can't conceive of either. It's beyond our ken and always will be because it isn't a matter of not knowing enough, the question itself is beyond our frame of reference. So, yes, an equal footing in that regard.

But this doesn't mean Religion and Atheism are equally rational. They are wholly different. One is refusal to believe without evidence. The other is irrational faith rationally embraced to solve a mental problem.
    No time for a full response - it's Good Friday, but my theism is based on the 'compelling circumstantial evidence' too.
    No probs. I've made a note in my little green book. You owe me 'compelling circumstantial evidence' that the universe was created by a divine being. To say I'm looking forward to it is the understatement of deep time since it would rock my world.
    Recall that I said there was compelling circumstantial evidence for both divine creation and for non-divine self creation of the universe.

In brief, 'divine' (meaning for this purpose that behind the universe as a whole lies intention and will) creation.Top 10 points, none of which prove in the strict sense anything at all:

3) Design
    5) Freewill
    10) Altruism

Ah ok. Yes, those are all interesting and relevant points. But the Big Picture here is you're trying to think your way to God and I'm not sure that's an authentic route. True religious belief imo comes from seeing Him. Which means a person having an experience which they interpret as being that. Perhaps I'm wrong and your belief does come from that and all this is intellectual backfill. Me, I never have and today has thus far been no exception. Certainly He wasn't in Tesco where I've just come back from. The queues were nothing short of harrowing.
    No. I was answering your question. There is, may I remind you, as compelling a series of bits of circumstantial evidence for non-theism.

I am a theist; I don't suggest it can be proved in any formal sense, but neither is it irrational. There are grounds to justify it, as there are for non-theism.

For me theism is more or less self evidently true; that isn't the case for lots of people I respect and admire.

I'll be in Lidl tomorrow, where theism will no doubt make its presence felt.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,446
    edited March 29
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

GOOD

Proof if it were needed for BJO, that Starmer-Labour are the unacceptable face of Conservatism.
  • Options
    OMFG

Claude 3 Opus is an absolutely INCREDIBLE brain storming partner
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,680

kle4 said:

On political stories like Rayner's it's always worth trying to reverse the sides and see if they would defend their own conduct or not, as I believe some have attemped to put to her. They usually wouldn't, which is not definitive that the conduct is actually poor, but I think does mean you have to accept opponents making something of it to some degree, even if it is not typically as big a deal as they will state.

The Rayner-equivalent story on the Tory side is Esther McVey living in one flat at the taxpayer's expense while renting out another she, or her husband, owns, that is just as close to Parliament. Rishi has today given a knighthood to McVey's husband, Philip Davies MP.

Esther McVey claims thousands for London rent despite MP husband owning flat one mile away
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/esther-mcvey-claims-thousands-for-london-rent-despite-mp-husband-owning-flat-one-mile-away/ar-
    BB1keZ5V
    Not necessarily (I don’t know the McVey case)

If Rayner made a false declaration for tax purposes then she has broken the law. It’s a minor offence but she should fess up and pay the 1.5k

If McVey owned an investment property that was previously rented out then why should she give up that income to serve in Parliament? If, however, she moved out of the family property in order to rent it out at the same time as claiming another flat on expenses then, while it may be legal/compliant it is not a good look for a politician
    And yet Rishi has just knighted Philip Davies, yesterday! I wonder if Number 10 missed that he is McVey's other half.
    So it appears to be that:

- under the old rules Davies bought a flat and was able to claim the mortgage expenses
    - Then the rules changed and he was no longer able to claim the expenses
    - He could not afford to pay the mortgage himself
    - Therefore he had two choices: (a) sell the flat, repay the mortgage and live in a rented flat paid for by expenses; or (b) keep the flat, rent it out to cover the mortgage and live in a rented flat paid for by expenses

He chose option (b)

Can you explain what your concern is? He seems - based on reading one Guardian article - to have behaved quite properly.

In the words of, erm, you, it is not a good look for a politician. I suggested this is the broad equivalent of Raynergate, and that Number 10 might have missed bold Sir Phil's involvement because press coverage headlined Esther McVey.
    I’ve now looked at it and what he has done is entirely reasonable. There has been no suggestion of potential wrong doing. It is a politically motivated attack by Led By Donkeys and the Guardian.

Rayner may have behaved entirely reasonably as well. However, It is unusual to have a different primary residence to your children and your husband. She’s also chosen to brazen it out rather than explain what have been questions raised by the politically neutral (as far as I am aware) tax guy

Telegraph not Guardian.

A cabinet minister who has criticised Whitehall waste has claimed tens of thousands of pounds in expenses to rent a London flat despite her husband owning a property a mile away.

Esther McVey, who was appointed “minister for common sense” last year, has received £39,000 in taxpayers’ money to rent the flat over the last two years. She lives there with her husband, the Tory MP Philip Davies.

The Daily Telegraph, which first reported the story alongside the campaign group Led By Donkeys, said McVey and Davies had been claiming expenses on the property since 2017 and could have received as much as £250,000 from the taxpayer.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/21/esther-mcvey-expenses-flat-philip-davies
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,380
    edited March 29
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

@glasgowmurphy

Ends.

You obviously like that so much you've repeated it from the header! :smile:

Mind, Mr Murphy is obviously still feeling sour.
    I was going to say Jim was the only SLab leader to preside over the return of a single MP in a general election but forgot that Richard Leonard achieved the same.

Perhaps the record for the largest gap between hubristic ambition and pitiful failure (and there's been quite a bit of that with SLab over the years)?

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,196

IanB2 said:

Another candidate for having an honour forfeited steps forward.

Donaldson was knighted under David Cameron, IIRC.
    no surprise , Cameron is a wrong un
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,753
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Three are a joke. They have a pole of wonder at the bottom of Market Street/The Arndale and you get over 1,000 Mbps, walk further up Market Street to Piccadilly Station and you are lucky to get 2 Mbps.

I'm not sure who came up with this "pole of wonder" nonsense but it's a silly term.

They may have several hundred poles around the country that have these gigabit speeds but they are so oddly spread out and in many cases supplementing coverage from hilltop or rooftop sites that as you say, are providing nothing like those speeds. So you end up on a two tier network.

Vodafone, O2 and EE have their problems but certainly have logical grid designs. Three's is just nonsensical to me. I am sure people that live next to one think their network is the greatest thing in the universe but travelling around, I am failing to see any evidence much has really changed.

Starlink is great for home Internet access, so long as you live in a rural area. But that's it.
    Actually, Starlink directly connected to your phone is on the way. First satellites are up there, and several US networks have signed up “coverage gap filling” deals

I found Starlink everywhere in Colombia, do the satellites sit above Bogota? Is that how it works?

I've never seen it appear on my phone's wifi systems before, not even in Ukraine. But in Colombia: ubiquitous
    What you are seeing is Starlink being used for backhaul. Your phone connects to a phone mast normally, and that phone mast is connected to the world via Starlink. Similarly, public WiFi is being provided in some places using Starlink as the connection from the WiFi base station to the rest of the world.

This means not having to run miles of fibre optic cable to remote areas, repeaters etc.

Probably the biggest area for the LEO constellations is backhaul. It’s already ubiquitous on cruise ships. The passengers just get fast WiFi

OneWeb is, in fact, only selling backhaul. They do not offer direct connections to customers.

Starlink is in LEO. This means the satellites zip overhead every few minutes. You can access it pretty much anywhere, pole to pole.

It consists of more satellites than the rest of the world has. Full stop. Visualisation here

TBH this probably knocks What3Words into a cocked hat, and I don't say that lightly

Probably true.

SpaceX is valued at $180 Bn according to prices in private share sales.

Tesla is $550 billion according to the market. Which has seen retreat from EVs by several car makers due to problems with the investment required.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,778
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

I didn't realise that Trump was into the custom car scene.
  • Options
    Tory advisers desert Rishi Sunak for Keir Starmer
    Nick Boles, Mark Carney and other figures close to Conservatives quietly appear in Labour ranks in sign of turning political tide

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/03/29/tory-advisers-desert-rishi-sunak-for-keir-starmer/ (£££)

Someone or other, please explain.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

3) Design
    5) Freewill
    10) Altruism

No. I was answering your question. There is, may I remind you, as compelling a series of bits of circumstantial evidence for non-theism.

I am a theist; I don't suggest it can be proved in any formal sense, but neither is it irrational. There are grounds to justify it, as there are for non-theism.

For me theism is more or less self evidently true; that isn't the case for lots of people I respect and admire.

I'll be in Lidl tomorrow, where theism will no doubt make its presence felt.
    Fair enough. I wasn't accusing you of dodging the question. But you are trying to think your way to God, aren't you? Indeed strike the 'trying' you've done it. You've thought your way there rather than had it inculcated by upbringing or culture or had a revelatory experience.
  • Options
    As an aside, I pity whatever poor sod has to try and arrange a fair trial for Donaldson in Northern Ireland.

The jury's going to be hopelessly biased one way or another whoever they pick.

But I'm assuming it wouldn't be permissible to hold the trial in England instead because of the different legal jurisdictions.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,988
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

To move on from God and sex for a moment, this Service Charge thing is becoming an absolute scandal

"My one-bed flat's service charge is now £16K a year"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c884m42lvk8o

Surely this is one good thing we can expect from Starmer and Labour. The Tories are pathetically enslaved by the landlords and builders, the parasitic rentiers and leeching freeholders

Labour is not thus encumbered. It needs to sort this out immediately. Reform the lease/freehold system and stop these insane service charges

I fear you are getting triggered by these clickbait articles in to 'autocomplete outrage'.

From what I understand the service charges simply represent the cost of maintaining a property - but in the case of new build flats are inflated by intermediaries (managing agents), greater regulation (particularly the building safety act 2022 re buildings more than 7 storeys high), the risk averse approach to commissioning work, the need for work to unavoidably comply with health and safety legislation (no short cuts with white van builders), surveyors fees on top of everything else, etc. And then, there is rapid inflation due to the general cost of building work post Covid with material price increases, labour shortages etc, wage increases etc. With new build you have a particular problem of regulatory requirements including maintenance being loaded on at planning stage.

I don't think this is freeholders scamming the system. This may be a very small part of the system and there are probably commissions and kickbacks but it is unjustified to present the situation as this being the fundamental cause of the problem. The problem is a) people don't believe to pay similar levels to what people pay for flat maintenance in other comparable countries and b) regulation, build costs, case law etc.

The flats in the barbican are expecting a bill of £85k each for replacement windows.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/zone-1-news/barbican-flat-owners-could-charged-26474162

Labour can (and should) legislate for more transparency over charges, review the legislation regarding Right to Manage , look at making freehold purchase easier, remove forfeiture; but in all probability that is all that can be achieved.
    No, I'm getting triggered by the fact that the managers of my freehold recently landed the leaseholders, including me, with a whopping four figure bill - each - simply to unblock a drain. Literally. One afternoon, with one man, unblocking a drain

So they inflated the cost outrageously, and I am sure it is a scam, it is so easy to do - and we leaseholders just have to lump it. As that is the law, as things stand, well done the Tory party, stupid greedy dorks

Previously the management has generally been fine, but now this?? Pffffffgrrr

Reform the system from top to bottom, get rid of leasehold entirely, and if the profiteers squeal, fuck em
    Once you've been taken to the cleaners by your freeholder/managing agent for a bill that's 10x any kind of reasonable cost for the services actually rendered and is padded to hell with "admin charges" and "management fees" on top of that, you get to realising what leasehold is all about. Then you look into what you can do to dispute the charges - hint, absolutely nothing, unless you can afford whopping lawyers fees plus the freeholder whacking their lawyers fees on your bill - and you really, really see what leasehold is all about.

The stories may vary, but I don't know a single leaseholder who doesn't have at least one of these stories.

The sooner it is brought to an end the better, and I really hope Labour give us some full-throated reform that puts these parasites out of business for good.
  • Options

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Trent said:

It's a shame that the evidence shows otherwise; e.g. the blowing of the Kherson dam, or the sh*t they've done in the east since 2014.

There are plenty of overheads of smashed cities on the web.

And last winter, the Russians went through a huge pile of their missile stockpile to try and destroy heating and electricity infrastructure.

They’ve lost whole armies of men and material there.

And now they are getting serious?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

The Prime Minister who gave us Baroness Mome and Louise Bagshawe MP is a lousy judge of character? Say it ain't so.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

GOOD

Proof if it were needed for BJO, that Starmer-Labour are the unacceptable face of Conservatism.
    Oh god, yes. It totally vindicates BJO. I might have to vote Green or whatever new party Jez sets up.

Unless Leon is bullshitting of course. Which is just incredibly possible.
  • Options
    edited March 29

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

The Prime Minister who gave us Baroness Mome and Louise Bagshawe MP is a lousy judge of character? Say it ain't so.
    On a serious note, who was the last Prime Minister to be a really astute judge of character?

The last four have been dismal. Sunak is, well. Truss is, well well. Johnson is, fucking hell. May was in and out like a Hokey Cokey. Cameron left Gove at education and Lansley at health far past the moment it was obvious they were overseeing train crashes.

Brown was terrible. Blair had his moments (coughAlistairCampbellcough). Major wasn't great. Thatcher started shrewdly but fell away.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

As an aside, I pity whatever poor sod has to try and arrange a fair trial for Donaldson in Northern Ireland.

But I'm assuming it wouldn't be permissible to hold the trial in England instead because of the different legal jurisdictions.

Last place he would want it would be England, look at Assange as a perfect example, though if pally with Tories he may do well there.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

You are being kind there to say the least
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

I didn't realise that Trump was into the custom car scene.
    I'd tie him to my bumper any day.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

To move on from God and sex for a moment, this Service Charge thing is becoming an absolute scandal

Surely this is one good thing we can expect from Starmer and Labour. The Tories are pathetically enslaved by the landlords and builders, the parasitic rentiers and leeching freeholders

Labour is not thus encumbered. It needs to sort this out immediately. Reform the lease/freehold system and stop these insane service charges

I fear you are getting triggered by these clickbait articles in to 'autocomplete outrage'.

From what I understand the service charges simply represent the cost of maintaining a property - but in the case of new build flats are inflated by intermediaries (managing agents), greater regulation (particularly the building safety act 2022 re buildings more than 7 storeys high), the risk averse approach to commissioning work, the need for work to unavoidably comply with health and safety legislation (no short cuts with white van builders), surveyors fees on top of everything else, etc. And then, there is rapid inflation due to the general cost of building work post Covid with material price increases, labour shortages etc, wage increases etc. With new build you have a particular problem of regulatory requirements including maintenance being loaded on at planning stage.

I don't think this is freeholders scamming the system. This may be a very small part of the system and there are probably commissions and kickbacks but it is unjustified to present the situation as this being the fundamental cause of the problem. The problem is a) people don't believe to pay similar levels to what people pay for flat maintenance in other comparable countries and b) regulation, build costs, case law etc.

The flats in the barbican are expecting a bill of £85k each for replacement windows.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/zone-1-news/barbican-flat-owners-could-charged-26474162

Labour can (and should) legislate for more transparency over charges, review the legislation regarding Right to Manage , look at making freehold purchase easier, remove forfeiture; but in all probability that is all that can be achieved.
    No, I'm getting triggered by the fact that the managers of my freehold recently landed the leaseholders, including me, with a whopping four figure bill - each - simply to unblock a drain. Literally. One afternoon, with one man, unblocking a drain

So they inflated the cost outrageously, and I am sure it is a scam, it is so easy to do - and we leaseholders just have to lump it. As that is the law, as things stand, well done the Tory party, stupid greedy dorks

Reform the system from top to bottom, get rid of leasehold entirely, and if the profiteers squeal, fuck em
    Once you've been taken to the cleaners by your freeholder/managing agent for a bill that's 10x any kind of reasonable cost for the services actually rendered and is padded to hell with "admin charges" and "management fees" on top of that, you get to realising what leasehold is all about. Then you look into what you can do to dispute the charges - hint, absolutely nothing, unless you can afford whopping lawyers fees plus the freeholder whacking their lawyers fees on your bill - and you really, really see what leasehold is all about.

The stories may vary, but I don't know a single leaseholder who doesn't have at least one of these stories.

The sooner it is brought to an end the better, and I really hope Labour give us some full-throated reform that puts these parasites out of business for good.
    Preach it, brother

Go, Sir Kir Royale Starmer, prime minister!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

Last place he would want it would be England, look at Assange as a perfect example, though if pally with Tories he may do well there.
    Assange hasn't been tried in England. And given all the bullshit he's allowed to get away with in his pleas, I would have though Donaldson would jump at the chance.

But I was thinking, more seriously, of how do you have a *fair* trial? How do you select a neutral jury? How do you stop the gossip spreading?
  • Options
    TrentTrent Posts: 150

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Probably true.

Tesla is $550 billion according to the market. Which has seen retreat from EVs by several car makers due to problems with the investment required.
    Tesla stock is vastly underperforming the market now. Maybe Musk should concentrate on cars rather than edgy tweets.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

Preach it, brother

Why don't you club together and buy the freehold?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Probably true.

The question going ahead is who will be the dominant players. A couple of them will probably be Chinese.
    Tesla will be in there, but what margins it will be able to make consistently is an unknown.

The value the market places on it is questionable.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

Preach it, brother

Why don't you club together and buy the freehold?
    it's complex.... Ideally that's what we should do
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Probably true.

The question going ahead is who will be the dominant players. A couple of them will probably be Chinese.
    Tesla will be in there, but what margins it will be able to make consistently is an unknown.

The value the market places on it is questionable.
    Tesla has bigger margins on electric cars than nearly all of legacy automakers. Simply because it doesn’t have their legacies.
  • Options
    I'm experimenting with the idea of writing a novel about dildo knapping

So, it turns out, you can feed Claude 3 Opus an entire BOOK, in chapters, and it will analyse it

Scarily good
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,952

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Trent said:

There are plenty of overheads of smashed cities on the web.

And last winter, the Russians went through a huge pile of their missile stockpile to try and destroy heating and electricity infrastructure.

They’ve lost whole armies of men and material there.

And now they are getting serious?
    The idea that the Russians have been holding back out of kindness isn't one that bears 3 seconds of scrutiny.

They have thrown everything non nuclear into the battle, and have spent the last year taking a derelict Donbas bloodsoaked pit village.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,915
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

GOOD

Oh god, yes. It totally vindicates BJO. I might have to vote Green or whatever new party Jez sets up.

He probably is. In any event why would you let a saddo like Leon dictate who you can or cannot vote for?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,850
    edited March 29
    Just listening to the ITV Post Office tape.

This sounds like several senior people potentially behind bars.

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1773475971292627072
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,688

NEW THREAD

• Options
    edited March 29
    File under 'Jumping before they are pushed':

So far, 66 MPs elected as Conservatives in 2019 have announced they will not stand again – this includes four who have since lost the whip and sit as independents – which is close to one in five of the total.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/29/tory-party-lose-almost-1000-years-commons-experience-mps-quit
  • Options
    edited March 29
    This thread has resigned under a cloud
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,064
    edited March 29
    ydoethur said:

Judge-only? Diplock courts are still possible (under a different name/legislation), though [edit] presumably not applicable here. But there are other procedures, presumably.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

GOOD

He probably is. In any event why would you let a saddo like Leon dictate who you can or cannot vote for?
    Well to work in our Easter religion theme, me and Leon both voting Labour would mean that Keir has built the broadest of broad churches!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

On a serious note, who was the last Prime Minister to be a really astute judge of character?

The last four have been dismal. Sunak is, well. Truss is, well well. Johnson is, fucking hell. May was in and out like a Hokey Cokey. Cameron left Gove at education and Lansley at health far past the moment it was obvious they were overseeing train crashes.

Brown was terrible. Blair had his moments (coughAlistairCampbellcough). Major wasn't great. Thatcher started shrewdly but fell away.
    Wilson.
This discussion has been closed.