Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The worst appointment since Incitatus – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,010
    Trent said:

Watch this. Lara Logan talking to Steve Bannon about the Baltimore Bridge. Listen with an open mind.

Lara Logan Sounds the Alarm on the Baltimore Bridge Collapse

“We are in an undeclared war & Intelligence Agencies are Telling me it was an Act Cyber Terrorism”

• Why is the Biden Administration telling the country when his own Intelligence Agencies are telling him it is?

• Those who are on the inside, critical infrastructure, DHS, and Intel agencies know are telling Lara this was a cyber attack on the critical infrastructure of the US

• The I-94 corridor on the eastern seaboard is literally what connects the North and South

• This was a brilliant strategic attack on one of the most important supply chain in America

https://x.com/MJTruthUltra/status/1772754425938895177?s=20

I’ll say ta-ra now because you won’t be here in the morning!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited March 26
    OT An interesting view of life in the West Bank from a compelling female Palestinian Professor. It is great viewing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw3Y-6GqytM
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,290
    edited March 26
    Why is it so ridiculous to speculate that the Baltimore bridge collapse might be sabotage?

It’s not like this stuff is unprecedented. Look at Nordstream. Or 9/11 for that matter. And we do KNOW that China is actively trying to sabotage American “infrastructure and transport” - the US intel agencies said exactly this last month

Yet suddenly anyone who suggests that sabotage is a mere possibility, in this instance, is some kind of crazed far right putinite loon

We cannot possibly be sure of anything at this early stage. Maybe it is maybe it ain’t
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,590
    Baltimore bridge collapse may impact the rest of the regional highway system, by forcing more port ground traffic onto other routes.

My guess is that one of the major reasons for building the Key Bridge in the first place, was to take this off of Interstate 90 and other mainline highways.
  • Options
    It’s Trump isn’t it? People are scared this might somehow “benefit Trump” if it turns out to be sabotage so they are insanely allergic to the notion

Get a grip
  • Options
    TrentTrent Posts: 150
    Leon said:

It’s Trump isn’t it? People are scared this might somehow “benefit Trump” if it turns out to be sabotage so they are insanely allergic to the notion

Get a grip

Its Trump derangement syndrome. Im convinced the covid lockdowns only went on as long as they did in some areas of the US because people wanted to stick it to Trump.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,508
    "The I-94 corridor on the eastern seaboard is literally what connects the North and South."

North-south interstates in the US have odd numbers; beginning in the West. (There is an I-94. You may be amused to see where it is actually located. Hint: East-west interstates have even numbers, beginning with I-2 in south Texas.)

For the record: I-95 is the main north-south route they were trying to think of. It does not cross the Key bridge: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_95_in_Maryland
  • Options
    Trent said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

Its Trump derangement syndrome. Im convinced the covid lockdowns only went on as long as they did in some areas of the US because people wanted to stick it to Trump.
    I’m still shocked by this amazing statistic

https://unherd.com/newsroom/six-in-10-democrats-believe-covid-19-pandemic-isnt-over/

lol. If this is China and Russia driving America insane they are doing a bang up job
  • Options

"The I-94 corridor on the eastern seaboard is literally what connects the North and South."

North-south interstates in the US have odd numbers; beginning in the West. (There is an I-94. You may be amused to see where it is actually located. Hint: East-west interstates have even numbers, beginning with I-2 in south Texas.)

For the record: I-95 is the main north-south route they were trying to think of. It does not cross the Key bridge: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_95_in_Maryland

What do you think? Sabotage or accident?
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 549
    edited March 26
    Leon said:

Get a grip

Is there a map of this ship's prior movements? The reason I ask:

https://nypost.com/2021/03/24/cargo-ship-drew-penis-before-getting-stuck-in-suez-canal/

That was the ship that blocked the Suez Canal for six days in 2021. "All your base are belong to us!"

Those who favour whoopsadaisyist explanations for everything, which they sometimes call theories of "cockups" just to show how risqué they are, obviously can't get erections and deserve only pity.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772
    Leon said:

2 hours into a KLM biz class flight to Amsterdam. ONE GLASS OF BUBBLES

grrrrrr

I think I found your plane on Flightradar.com (yes I am very very sad) but it's not showing as in the air. I think you've crossed into another dimension.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,823

For who(m) was Prince Harry's leadership of the Invictus Games "the worst appointment"?

For the veterans? Somehow doubt that, despite his re-Markle-ble transformation from Royalist Icon to Woke Menace. Either way he's a draw - and one of them.

For The Firm? Now, of course. But need NOT have been so!

Things have been touch and go (to put it most mildly) ever since Harry Met Meghan. However, even hardened royalists (are their any other kind?) will likely concur that the English-Welsh-Scots-British Monarchy has dealt with other, even more demanding divas - and survived.

All I will say about Invictus is that a few years prior, Jimmy Carr got into hot water for joking that, after Iraq and Afghanistan, the UK would have a "bloody good paralympic team in a few years time".
  • Options
    Interstate in question - my mistake - is Interstate 95. Which does NOT, repeat NOT include the collapsed Key Bridge.

Bridge IS on southern part of I-695 which is loop road around (as in avoiding) central Baltimore City (similar to M25).
  • Options
    edited March 26
    Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

https://nypost.com/2021/03/24/cargo-ship-drew-penis-before-getting-stuck-in-suez-canal/

That was the ship that blocked the Suez Canal for six days in 2021. "All your base are belong to us!"
    TwiX is claiming the ship’s captain is Ukrainian! Which makes it insanely delicious for conspiracy theorists (if true)

I have no clue. I will say the final movements of the ship look bizarre to me. But equally all accidents look bizarre in their own way - and you can find weird coincidences everywhere
  • Options
    TimmycoolTimmycool Posts: 13
    Are we calling out 'Trent' as a bot or not? He's like Leon, but with much less history.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Leon said:

Why is it so ridiculous to speculate that the Baltimore bridge collapse might be sabotage?

It’s not like this stuff is unprecedented. Look at Nordstream. Or 9/11 for that matter. And we do KNOW that China is actively trying to sabotage American “infrastructure and transport” - the US intel agencies said exactly this last month

Yet suddenly anyone who suggests that sabotage is a mere possibility, in this instance, is some kind of crazed far right putinite loon

We cannot possibly be sure of anything at this early stage. Maybe it is maybe it ain’t

Let me speculate that jet lag has lowered your IQ a dozen or so points.
    Or you're just trolling along with the troll to amuse yourself.

"Who suggests.. a mere possibility..."
    ...“We are in an undeclared war & Intelligence Agencies are Telling me it was an Act Cyber Terrorism”..

Pfffft
  • Options
    Timmycool said:

Are we calling out 'Trent' as a bot or not? He's like Leon, but with much less history.

Whereas you have a history dating back for over 11 comments and a long backstory of, er, nothing
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,846
    Leon said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

TwiX is claiming the ship’s captain is Ukrainian! Which makes it insanely delicious for conspiracy theorists (if true)

I have no clue. I will say the final movements of the ship look bizarre to me. But equally all accidents look bizarre in their own way - and you can find weird coincidences everywhere
    So why are you pushing this ridiculous conspiracy theory then . And why would a Ukrainian captain want to do this?
  • Options
    Personally drove a few times on I-95 but mainly avoided it as much as possible. Same with Pennsylvania Turnpike, and for same reason - old, heavily traveled highways always full of road construction, traffic, hassle.

One stretch on I-95 that I found impossible to dodge, was the Bridge over the Delaware River, from State of Delaware to New Jersey (also visa versa). Scary as shit.
  • Options
    edited March 26
    Trent said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

There may have been a states' rights thing going on too. Cf. Scotland. The SNP considered it most important to have a policy different from what the hated devils south of the border had.

It is amazingly good intellectual practice to give credit where it's due, even to people you despise. I'm a leftwing nutter and personally I think Trump is right on matters of eco-bollocks.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Leon said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

So why are you pushing this ridiculous conspiracy theory then . And why would a Ukrainian captain want to do this?
    Er, I’m not pushing anything at all. I’m specifically saying - in several ways - that I have no idea

What I AM saying is that the Trump-fearing freaks saying “ITS DEFINITELY AN ACCIDENT” are almost as stupid and clueless as the conspiratorial nutters saying “ITS DEFINITELY AN ATTACK INVOLVING THE OBAMAS AND MACRONS TRANNY WIFE”
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

...“We are in an undeclared war & Intelligence Agencies are Telling me it was an Act Cyber Terrorism”..

Pfffft
    Mate, you still - forlornly and pathetically - believe entirely in the wet market hypothesis and you occasionally try and push it on here, even now, with obviously zero purchase
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,846
    If you’re going to crash the ship into the bridge as an act of terrorism wouldn’t you do it at a time that will have most impact not at 1.30 am .

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    Timmycool said:

Bot
  • Options
    TimmycoolTimmycool Posts: 13
    edited March 27
    Leon said:

Timmycool said:

Whereas you have a history dating back for over 11 comments and a long backstory of, er, nothing
    I have a backstory, I didn't join 2 days ago, unlike Trent.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Pfffft
    Mate, you still - forlornly and pathetically - believe entirely in the wet market hypothesis and you occasionally try and push it on here, even now, with obviously zero purchase
    Zzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    C'mon, Ukraine is old hat. I want a theory involving Singapore.
  • Options
    Does nobody think it's odd a new bot arrives saying it's a plot to blow up the bridge and oddly Leon agrees.

It's another Leon/Sean alt.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772
    CatMan said:

Leon said:

grrrrrr

I think I found your plane on Flightradar.com (yes I am very very sad) but it's not showing as in the air. I think you've crossed into another dimension.
    Ah I've worked it out. Your plane has a stop before it heads to Amsterdam (and you've just taken off again!)

https://www.flightradar24.com/KLM749/3485ad9d

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,828
    Musk on the end of scarcity: x.com/tsarnick/status/1772380512599859485#m

As ever, James Burke beat him to it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09jvfc4

The mooted "end of scarcity" is naive: the problem is never the availability of manufactured goods, it's power: "who, whom" and Benn's 5 questions. Atomic energy promised limitless energy and was constrained. The internet promised limitless data and is being constrained. Similarly limitless goods will be constrained. If only we had a word for the process people use to non-violently allocate power... :smiley:
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited March 27
    To be fair to Gullis, he is the only Tory ever to have been elected to be MP for Stoke North.

Until 2019 they weighed the Labour vote there. Also, it is a good thing to have a few who have experience of teaching in state schools in the Conservative Party who can bring that knowledge to legislating. Not just seeing most of the ex state school teachers in Parliament on the Labour benches
  • Options
    viewcode said:

The mooted "end of scarcity" is naive: the problem is never the availability of manufactured goods, it's power: "who, whom" and Benn's 5 questions. Atomic energy promised limitless energy and was constrained. The internet promised limitless data and is being constrained. Similarly limitless goods will be constrained. If only we had a word for the process people use to non-violently allocate power... :smiley:

Economics?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,828
    Donkeys said:

viewcode said:

Economics?
    Politics.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685
    HYUFD said:

To be fair to Gullis, he is the only Tory ever to have been elected to be MP for Stoke North.

Until 2019 they weighed the Labour vote there. Also, it is a good thing to have a few who have experience of teaching in state schools in the Conservative Party who can bring that knowledge to legislating. Not just seeing most of the ex state school teachers in Parliament on the Labour benches

I think Stoke North is the seat with the fewest percentage of people with degrees in the country. (It's also the original home of Robbie Williams).
  • Options
    edited March 27
    viewcode said:

Donkeys said:

viewcode said:

Economics?
    Politics.
    Politics is often violent and it's about managing the state which self-declares as the rightful monopolist over some kinds of violence, such as killing people and locking them up.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    Donkeys said:

Or the Houthis
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    Eabhal said:

Donkeys said:

Or the Houthis
    Militant anti-globalisation protestors trying to promote global autarky.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Donkeys said:

Or the Houthis
    Militant anti-globalisation protestors trying to promote global autarky.
    The captain was distracted by a hypersonic UAP.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

I think Stoke North is the seat with the fewest percentage of people with degrees in the country. (It's also the original home of Robbie Williams).
    Do you mean, Stoke-on-TRENT North?

Conspiracy??? Coincidence??? Kismet??? Karma??? Korma???
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,420
    Is an election vibe shift underway? | FiveThirtyEight

Is the presidential election undergoing a vibe shift? At the beginning of the month, former President Donald Trump was performing 10 percentage points better than President Joe Biden in net approval rating. Today that’s fallen to a 4-point advantage. In this installment of the 538 Politics podcast, the crew assesses what's changed. They also ask why so many representatives in the House are resigning earlier on in their careers and they take a look at a new poll showing Republican Larry Hogan leading in the Maryland Senate race by double digits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1xDmKLK74k

48 House members are retiring (11 per cent). It's not just a British phenomenon.
  • Options
    ‘Worst-ever’ Prince Philip statue must be torn down, orders council
    A £150,000 sculpture purporting to depict late Duke of Edinburgh must be removed as it was erected without planning permission

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/03/26/prince-philip-statue-cambridge-council-orders-removal/ (£££)

Plot twist: the sculptor named as its creator denied any knowledge of the statue.
  • Options
    How Ukraine is using mobile phones on 6ft poles to stop drones
    Simplistic acoustic sensors, first tried a century ago, make a comeback to protect against threat from Russia

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/03/26/ukraine-mobile-phones-poles-sensors-russian-drones-simple/ (£££)

Pre-radar technology updated with AI to distinguish sounds of drones from mooing cows.
  • Options
    The triumphant USA is now producing more oil and gas than any nation ever has
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/03/25/usa-oil-gas-production-world-record-level-energy-security/ (£££)
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    edited March 27

I see Andy Cooke is saying that LibDems in Didcot and Wantage are scrupulous about bar charts. I actually received one of them this week - it's the most distorted bar chart that I've ever seen. It's also effectively about a different constituency, as D&W has lost 15,000 mostly Tory and LibDem rural voters from the old Wantage seat. And it's from 2019.

Well, the last general election was in 2019, so it's difficult to get comparable general election figures from any more recently.

Given that whilst the last general election in the predecessor Wantage constituency had Con 50.7, LD 31.9, Lab 15.2 and the notionals for the new boundaries (per UKPollingreport - https://pollingreport.uk/changes/E14001197 ) have Con 50.9, LD 31.9, Lab 15.0) I think that describing the difference as making it "the most distorted bar chart [you've] seen" is a touch excessive.

(To be fair, the Guardian's notionals have Con 49.8, LD 31.3, Lab 16 - but that's still so close as to need a very accurate ruler to make out the differences).

It's hardly "a different constituency." It's not like Bicester and Woodstock - the core of the constituency is the same.

On what else should we base it? The 2021 County Council elections (we can't get exactly the same boundaries, and there was the LD/Green alliance causing two divisions to be fought by Greens rather than LDs, but at least we had a full slate of Lab and Con - and had Con c. 40%, LD c. 35% and Lab c. 15%)? The 2023 local elections? (LD 45.5%, Con 26.5%, Lab 7.1%)?

From the overall Local Government strength?

At county council from divisions in the new seat:
    Con 5
    Lab 0
    LD 5
    Green 1

At District level from wards in the new seat:
    Con 1
    Lab 3
    LD 19
    Green 3

As in mid-Beds, it's a real problem in partly rural seats that LibDems feel they own the right to oppose the Tories, but the effect is that where there's a major swing to Labour it gets put at risk by LibDem leaflets that falsely purport to show it's not happening. There certainly are seats where the LibDems are the only serious challengers to the Tories - I can think of two in Surrey that I know very well. But they don't do their cause any good by trying the same tactic in seats that are effectively three-way marginals.

I'm chair of D&W Labour, and it's now a Labour target, so I'll be spending all my time here until the election. Perhaps Andy and I can have a PB bet on the outcome.

From Labour's own documentation:

And, as above, it doesn't really smack of a three-way marginal in a brand new seat. I could see the argument perhaps in Bicester and Woodstock, but given that the notionals are almost exactly the same as the 2019 result, the voting shares in local elections marry up strongly with that, and the difference in local strength is overwhelming, it's hard to see what you'd accept as being clearly the challengers.

• Options

I see Andy Cooke is saying that LibDems in Didcot and Wantage are scrupulous about bar charts. I actually received one of them this week - it's the most distorted bar chart that I've ever seen. It's also effectively about a different constituency, as D&W has lost 15,000 mostly Tory and LibDem rural voters from the old Wantage seat. And it's from 2019.

Well, the last general election was in 2019, so it's difficult to get comparable general election figures from any more recently.

Given that whilst the last general election in the predecessor Wantage constituency had Con 50.7, LD 31.9, Lab 15.2 and the notionals for the new boundaries (per UKPollingreport - https://pollingreport.uk/changes/E14001197 ) have Con 50.9, LD 31.9, Lab 15.0) I think that describing the difference as making it "the most distorted bar chart [you've] seen" is a touch excessive.

(To be fair, the Guardian's notionals have Con 49.8, LD 31.3, Lab 16 - but that's still so close as to need a very accurate ruler to make out the differences).

It's hardly "a different constituency." It's not like Bicester and Woodstock - the core of the constituency is the same.

On what else should we base it? The 2021 County Council elections (we can't get exactly the same boundaries, and there was the LD/Green alliance causing two divisions to be fought by Greens rather than LDs, but at least we had a full slate of Lab and Con - and had Con c. 40%, LD c. 35% and Lab c. 15%)? The 2023 local elections? (LD 45.5%, Con 26.5%, Lab 7.1%)?

From the overall Local Government strength?

At county council from divisions in the new seat:
    Con 5
    Lab 0
    LD 5
    Green 1

At District level from wards in the new seat:
    Con 1
    Lab 3
    LD 19
    Green 3

As in mid-Beds, it's a real problem in partly rural seats that LibDems feel they own the right to oppose the Tories, but the effect is that where there's a major swing to Labour it gets put at risk by LibDem leaflets that falsely purport to show it's not happening. There certainly are seats where the LibDems are the only serious challengers to the Tories - I can think of two in Surrey that I know very well. But they don't do their cause any good by trying the same tactic in seats that are effectively three-way marginals.

I'm chair of D&W Labour, and it's now a Labour target, so I'll be spending all my time here until the election. Perhaps Andy and I can have a PB bet on the outcome.

From Labour's own documentation:

And, as above, it doesn't really smack of a three-way marginal in a brand new seat. I could see the argument perhaps in Bicester and Woodstock, but given that the notionals are almost exactly the same as the 2019 result, the voting shares in local elections marry up strongly with that, and the difference in local strength is overwhelming, it's hard to see what you'd accept as being clearly the challengers.

And on the "most distorted bar chart... ever seen"

Compared the actual votes (lighter) with notionals (darker). To be as fair as possible, I've included both the notionals I could find.

If this is the most distorted ever seen, I think the LD reputation is a bit unfair, to be honest :)
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,036

How Ukraine is using mobile phones on 6ft poles to stop drones
    Simplistic acoustic sensors, first tried a century ago, make a comeback to protect against threat from Russia

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/03/26/ukraine-mobile-phones-poles-sensors-russian-drones-simple/ (£££)

Pre-radar technology updated with AI to distinguish sounds of drones from mooing cows.

Ah, the old sound mirrors that dot our southern coast.

There were always claims that mobile phone networks could be used to detect stealth aircraft. Not via sound, but by variations in signal strength from the base stations. My own in-house radar expert says that it's perfectly feasible *in theory*, given enough computing power to detect the signal in the noise.
  • Options
    edited March 27

Until I learn the reason(s) for the container ship losing power, I will lean toward a Hanlon's Razor explanation. (Bayesians will understand.)

Probably after we know the reason(s), too, but for the moment I think Sherlock Holmes' advice applies: “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

Incidentally; last night I mentioned the bases of the power line pylons were much better protected than the bridge piers. I've looked at Google Maps this morning, and you can see the pylons being constructed in 2021:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/GwpvDPe9LPr9ij4s5

If you move to a later image, you can see that there's a large cutwater on both sides to prevent things hitting the pylon.

Whereas the bridge has some dolphins to mark the channel some way away, upstream and downstream that do nothing to prevent a ship coming in at an agnle.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/KfZBdhFDohksvqeP6

Hopefully this shows a change in construction standards since the bridge was built in the 1970s.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

After the Tampa Bridge disaster in 1980, they re-built the bridge with so-called "dolphins" next to the bridge columns to stop boats from hitting the columns. It's interesting that they didn't add them to the Baltimore bridge around the same time.

There were dolphins for the bridge. See the round object next to the ship here -

May be wrong but I think those are actually dolphins for power lines next to the bridge, not the bridge itself. (I saw a photo earlier from an angle that seemed to show this pretty clearly, but I can't remember how/where to find the image again to post a link).
    If you look at the links I shared a few posts below, the puny round dolphins predate the pylons by many years. The power pylons have cutwater-like structures around them.

I wonder what the 'overhang' (*) on the container ships are - i.e. the difference between beam at water level and maximum beam.

(*) Don't know correct term
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Scottish politics crosses the pond - Joe Rogan and comedian friends sit down for a five-hour podcast of drinking too much and talking s… to each other and about each other - but their very first subject of discussion is the new Scottish “Hate Crime” law and how it’s affecting comedy and comedians. Rogan says they should just cancel the Edinburgh Fringe if there’s going to be policing of speech on stage by actual police.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=cV71YMAwIXY
  • Options

I guess being kind to the Prime Minister he may feel this appointment is simply a like-for-like replacement.

And I can see why he may think that way for many reasons. To a certain extent the Deputy Chair (and Party Chair for that matter) are really a ceremonial cheerleader. Why would you want a thinker when you can have a performing seal?

So I am not sure what this appointment shows - the dearth of talent within the current Conservative Party ranks or the dearth of political nous of the current incumbent of Number 10.

Indeed, it probably shows both, an Anderson replacement performing seal to assuage the headbangers (but nobody else - from a tone deaf and inexperienced leadership. Sunak and his team seem really not to get at all the "game" of politics as it is these days. The public seem to get this to and see through the poorly gamed smoke and mirrors. As for Gullis, good grief, feel sorry for any kids that were taught by him as they wouldn't have learnt a lot. 🙄
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

After the Tampa Bridge disaster in 1980, they re-built the bridge with so-called "dolphins" next to the bridge columns to stop boats from hitting the columns. It's interesting that they didn't add them to the Baltimore bridge around the same time.

There were dolphins for the bridge. See the round object next to the ship here -

May be wrong but I think those are actually dolphins for power lines next to the bridge, not the bridge itself. (I saw a photo earlier from an angle that seemed to show this pretty clearly, but I can't remember how/where to find the image again to post a link).
    If you look at the links I shared a few posts below, the puny round dolphins predate the pylons by many years. The power pylons have cutwater-like structures around them.

I wonder what the 'overhang' (*) on the container ships are - i.e. the difference between beam at water level and maximum beam.

There’s a whole load of conspiracy theories going around about ships’ systems getting hacked. I think like most others I’ll wait and see what the NTSB* has to say first! Occam’s Razor says some sort of mechanical failure in an environment of strong winds and tides.

*National Transportation Safety Board, the government agency charged with investigating transport accidents in the US https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Transportation_Safety_Board
  • Options
    Democrat wins Alabama special election after focusing on IVF, abortion
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4557670-democrat-wins-alabama-special-election-after-focusing-on-ivf-abortion/

The article calls the district "purplish" - which in Alabama terms is true - but she lost by 7% at the last election, and just won by 25%.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

There’s a whole load of conspiracy theories going around about ships’ systems getting hacked. I think like most others I’ll wait and see what the NTSB* has to say first! Occam’s Razor says some sort of mechanical failure in an environment of strong winds and tides.

*National Transportation Safety Board, the government agency charged with investigating transport accidents in the US https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Transportation_Safety_Board
    The hacking conspiracy theories are almost certainly not true, for the reasons I gave yesterday. People spreading it are idiots, and/or have their own agenda to fill.
  • Options

I guess being kind to the Prime Minister he may feel this appointment is simply a like-for-like replacement.

And I can see why he may think that way for many reasons. To a certain extent the Deputy Chair (and Party Chair for that matter) are really a ceremonial cheerleader. Why would you want a thinker when you can have a performing seal?

So I am not sure what this appointment shows - the dearth of talent within the current Conservative Party ranks or the dearth of political nous of the current incumbent of Number 10.

Indeed, it probably shows both, an Anderson replacement performing seal to assuage the headbangers (but nobody else - from a tone deaf and inexperienced leadership. Sunak and his team seem really not to get at all the "game" of politics as it is these days. The public seem to get this to and see through the poorly gamed smoke and mirrors. As for Gullis, good grief, feel sorry for any kids that were taught by him as they wouldn't have learnt a lot. 🙄
    The other factors are the CCHQ/Number 10 SpAds who want to recast Rishi as one of his predecessors, an in-house Australian elections consultant who has been there for several years and indeed prime ministers, and more recently the return of David Cameron, who even misguided PBers who think him a reasonable PM must admit was a lousy campaigner.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    Leon said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

All members of the ship’s crew were from India, except two pilots from Baltimore.

If you will read posts from Russian troll farms, however…
  • Options
    I think this thread header is wrong, incidentally. Gullis may be a twit but compared to making Amanda Spielman Chief of Ofsted this is a reasonably sane appointment.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,986
    edited March 27
    The same ship managed to crash into a pier in Antwerp 8 years ago
  • Options
    edited March 27
    Scott_xP said:

The same ship managed to crash into a pier in Antwerp 8 years ago

It's not that uncommon an occurrence for ships to hit piers. The Costa Concordia did it several times, as did the RMS Olympic. That didn't foreshadow anything. (I know the CC later sank but that was unrelated.) In 2017 Antwerp was blocked for a day after a different ship was stranded on a sandbar by a local pilot.
  • Options
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

All members of the ship’s crew were from India, except two pilots from Baltimore.

Leon is getting as weird as Plato became. He's so keen for the *dramatic*, that the few critical faculties he has are never troubled.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

The hacking conspiracy theories are almost certainly not true, for the reasons I gave yesterday. People spreading it are idiots, and/or have their own agenda to fill.
    Yes most of them are coming from political people rather than marine people. The same political people who have spent the last week talking about the latest cyber threats from Russia and China - so they see an accident, put two and two together and make five.

It’s not impossible it was a deliberate attack, but it’s very unlikely especially with a local pilot on board.

Terrible bridge design though, let’s hope modern standards are considerably higher.
  • Options
    edited March 27
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes most of them are coming from political people rather than marine people. The same political people who have spent the last week talking about the latest cyber threats from Russia and China - so they see an accident, put two and two together and make five.

It’s not impossible it was a deliberate attack, but it’s very unlikely especially with a local pilot on board.

Terrible bridge design though, let’s hope modern standards are considerably higher.
    Well, I was just thinking about that. Why do bridge piers next to major shipping lanes not have these protective 'dolphins' as standard?* Which bridges do and don't have them? And that includes bridges in this country. Do (for example) the Severn Bridges and Humber Bridge have them?

*I'm going to make a wild guess at 'cost.'
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

When I descend into this cesspool on Twitter, I don't see 'political people' spreading this: it's no-name accounts that are spreading this sh*t. I've no idea if there are even real people behind some of the accounts.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

When I descend into this cesspool on Twitter, I don't see 'political people' spreading this: it's no-name accounts that are spreading this sh*t. I've no idea if there are even real people behind some of the accounts.
    You mean, they might have invented a profile including a weird job like say, knapping flints while moonlighting as a travel writer?
  • Options
    There's also a fair amount of anti-Indian racism on Twitter, as the ship's crew were all Indian.

Ignoring the fact the two pilots were locals from Baltimore...
  • Options
    Taz said:
    Why oops? Some people on a ship but not the same ship are holding their arms up.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

I don't know how popular the Calvin and Hobbes comic strip is in the UK -- but I recommend it to anyone who wants to understand the Loser. There are bits of dialog in it that are spookily similar to what the Loser says from time. Both, for instance, insist they are geniuses.

Anyone who has spent much time in an American elementary school will recognize the type.

(For those not familiar with the strip: Calvin is a bratty six year old, who is desperate for attention. Here's today's: https://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/2024/03/26

From time to time, Watterson uses Calvin to make his own points, which are the conventional ones an ad man might have made back then.)

Quite a few servers in our nanotech facility are named after Calvin and Hobbes characters. Makes a change from Lord of the RIngs references.
    At Acorn, many of our servers were named after nuts. We had ones like Pecan, cashew and peanut. The problem is that there are to few types of nut, and it stopped when someone called a server pistachio, which no-one seemed to know how to spell. (Back in the says when you interacted with things much more on the command line...)

With hindsight, we should have named a server after that nuttiest of nuts, Leon...
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265
    edited March 27

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

Leon is getting as weird as Plato became. He's so keen for the *dramatic*, that the few critical faculties he has are never troubled.
    You all know my views about him.

As everyone I’m sure knows, he was a highly successful author albeit not of high-brow literature. But the subject matter and kind of tales he spun didn’t just go out of fashion, the public became positively repulsed by them. He tried publishing under alternative pseudonyms with more limited results.

Now he is left trying to monopolise the conversations on a minor UK political forum (no offence) and seems to be getting, as you say, weirder and wilder by the week. We’ve seen similar rabbit-hole activities from people like Laurence Fox and Joey Barton.

If he was truly as bright as he likes to tell us, he’d have the self-awareness to take a step back, recognise what’s going on psychologically, and return to more sensible ground.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,141

A £150,000 sculpture purporting to depict late Duke of Edinburgh must be removed as it was erected without planning permission

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/03/26/prince-philip-statue-cambridge-council-orders-removal/ (£££)

Plot twist: the sculptor named as its creator denied any knowledge of the statue.

And it wasn't the DofE when it started out. Terrible though it is, it isn't the worst recent statuary in Cambridge. There are a load of what I can only describe as "oversized garden centre ornaments" that have appeared over the last few years. A bear. Some lions. They are bloody awful.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122
    Leon said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

Trent said:

And this from netweather forum.

The ongoing eternal autumn-without-the-leaves began on June 26th, so today we enter its tenth month.

If anyone had told me 9 months ago that the bad weather would continue until beyond Easter next year, I wouldn't have believed them.

I suspect we are likely to record the wettest and dullest GMT period on record, and I suspect that only drought in May and June will prevent this being the wettest July-to-June period (mid year to mid year) on record.

It really is an extraordinary event, and not in a good way. For longevity rather than intensity, probably the most extreme weather period of any sort I can remember.

Must admit this relentless bad weather and the absolute dismal state of our country means im seriously considering leaving the uk now.

Link?
    https://community.netweather.tv/topic/99729-moans-ramps-and-banter/page/169/
    Yes I just found it. Ta

Looks like I’m flying back to continued winter. In late March

Britain is becoming uninhabitable
    With your return, yes.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122
    I don't know anything about Gullis. Can someone explain why he is so much worse than other Tory MPs?
  • Options
    mwadams said:

And it wasn't the DofE when it started out. Terrible though it is, it isn't the worst recent statuary in Cambridge. There are a load of what I can only describe as "oversized garden centre ornaments" that have appeared over the last few years. A bear. Some lions. They are bloody awful.
    I quite like the giraffes that have sprouted up around town. Including one decorated by my son's school. :)
  • Options
    edited March 27

There's also a fair amount of anti-Indian racism on Twitter, as the ship's crew were all Indian.

It looks like a major mechanical or electrical issue, rather than some mistake from the deck officers/pilots. Look how the lights flicker on and off.

I have a friend in the MN and he is delighting in all the conspiracy theories. He's been present for a number of mishaps and they usually happen for boring reasons like alcohol abuse, missed maintenance, gross negligence, exhaustion. And it's usually the Filipino crew that suffer the consequences (he witnessed someone get crushed under a container, for example).

The current chat in his circles is that the pilots and/or officers did a good job communicating the issue to the local services (coastguard etc) and a strong effort was made to rectify whatever the issue was. He points towards a disaster in Tasmania as an obvious example of the same thing, but points out collisions happen all the time without such consequences:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tasman_Bridge_disaster
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

It looks like a major mechanical or electrical issue, rather than some mistake from the deck officers/pilots. Look how the lights flicker on and off.

I have a friend in the MN and he is delighting in all the conspiracy theories. He's been present for a number of mishaps and they usually happen for boring reasons like alcohol abuse, missed maintenance, gross negligence, exhaustion. And it's usually the Filipino crew that suffer the consequences (he witnessed someone get crushed under a container, for example).

The current chat in his circles is that the pilots and/or officers did a good job communicating the issue to the local services (coastguard etc) and a strong effort was made to rectify whatever the issue was. He points towards a disaster in Tasmania as an obvious example of the same thing, but points out collisions happen all the time without such consequences:

The insurance company will face a big payout. Will that be another hit to the British economy?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,193
    Heathener said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

As everyone I’m sure knows, he was a highly successful author albeit not of high-brow literature. But the subject matter and kind of tales he spun didn’t just go out of fashion, the public became positively repulsed by them. He tried publishing under alternative pseudonyms with more limited results.

Now he is left trying to monopolise the conversations on a minor UK political forum (no offence) and seems to be getting, as you say, weirder and wilder by the week. We’ve seen similar rabbit-hole activities from people like Laurence Fox and Joey Barton.

If he was truly as bright as he likes to tell us, he’d have the self-awareness to take a step back, recognise what’s going on psychologically, and return to more sensible ground.
    I think he's having some fun here. I do not doubt he is bright but I think this place is, well, like private parts to Leon are we. He Plays with us for his sport.
  • Options

I don't know anything about Gullis. Can someone explain why he is so much worse than other Tory MPs?

He's a Tory so that's enough.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,220
    Taz said:

That is patently untrue. One nation Tories are fine.

Gullis is a humourless and apparently intellect-free populist's populist. He is a walking -talking parody of Johnsonian Conservatism.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,056

With respect to the collapse of Baltimore's Francis Scot Key Bridge (named for UK's least favorite songwriter) this is major transportation infrastructure but NOT critical for most drivers, either those commuting & etc. within the Baltimore region AND through traffic to & from Philadelphia, Washington DC and beyond.

The most serious impacts will be to maritime shipping, both in the water and on the road infrastructure serving truck traffic in and out of the Port of Baltimore.

Another blow to the German economy. Someone’s really got it in for them

• Options
    Trent said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

Do you think that vaccines helped shorten the lockdown? Or were they a mistake?
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Thanks for linking to that disaster. This event was not unprecedented; which is something the conspiracy theorists and nutjobs seem to ignore...
  • Options
    Leon said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

https://unherd.com/newsroom/six-in-10-democrats-believe-covid-19-pandemic-isnt-over/

lol. If this is China and Russia driving America insane they are doing a bang up job
    To be fair they are not wrong.

Covid is now an endemic disease but I wouldn’t expect the average punter to do strong Josh between endemic and pandemic.

But we have tools to manage it, and so we don’t need to reach in the extreme way we did 4 years ago
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,228
    Nigelb said:

Democrat wins Alabama special election after focusing on IVF, abortion
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4557670-democrat-wins-alabama-special-election-after-focusing-on-ivf-abortion/

The article calls the district "purplish" - which in Alabama terms is true - but she lost by 7% at the last election, and just won by 25%.

There have been quite a few signs that suggest the GOP may end up getting whipped in November. Are the polls therefore totally wrong? Some suggest that the polls are manipulated, though I see no real evidence.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Leon said:

grrrrrr

Flight I-94?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

I’m old enough to remember when you could go on Twitter and glean useful real-time information.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Pfffft
    You can’t exclude the possibility (but all that would have done was knocked out the power to the ship and the rest was luck). Low probability but at this stage not known to the public

But they wouldn’t be telling a MAGA talking head. That would be a federal crime. The approved route is a placed article in the grey lady or the Washington Post
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,256
    Taz said:

Heathener said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

I think he's having some fun here. I do not doubt he is bright but I think this place is, well, like private parts to Leon are we. He Plays with us for his sport.
    I take it you've not spent time with desperate attention-seeking toddlers. When it's actually a bitter old man it's truly pathetic.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,442
    mwadams said:

On a scale of 0-10, how much do they inspire Fascist feelings when you view them?
  • Options

With respect to the collapse of Baltimore's Francis Scot Key Bridge (named for UK's least favorite songwriter) this is major transportation infrastructure but NOT critical for most drivers, either those commuting & etc. within the Baltimore region AND through traffic to & from Philadelphia, Washington DC and beyond.

The most serious impacts will be to maritime shipping, both in the water and on the road infrastructure serving truck traffic in and out of the Port of Baltimore.

Another blow to the German economy. Someone’s really got it in for them
    Now they've stopped the 'rescue' phase, it'll be interesting to see the 'recovery' and 'rebuild'.

The water doesn't look massively deep there, from the way the girders are lying. Will they try to get a big humongous crane in there to lift out the sections pretty much intact (lead time: months), or smaller cranes and divers to cut it up? The latter may be quicker, but also riskier.

That will at least clear the way for maritime traffic. Rebuilding the bridge is going to be an altogether bigger task.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,252

Taz said:

Gullis is a humourless and apparently intellect-free populist's populist. He is a walking -talking parody of Johnsonian Conservatism.
    There are some absolute spanners in the Tory 2019 Toolbox and Gullis is the poster child example of what happens when you unexpectedly win seats.

The challenge for Labour will be that if they get a mega-landslide, what is the chances of having their own mega box of spanners?
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,414
    OT proof that the old adage about fools and their money still holds true.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68672177

It seems a ludicrous amount to spend on a piece of simulated driftwood.
  • Options

The challenge for Labour will be that if they get a mega-landslide, what is the chances of having their own mega box of spanners?

They won't have to promote all of them...

The Tories problem is that every candidate at the last election had to prove they were a spanner to be selected
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689

Leon said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

Covid is now an endemic disease but I wouldn’t expect the average punter to do strong Josh between endemic and pandemic.

But we have tools to manage it, and so we don’t need to reach in the extreme way we did 4 years ago
    The UK figures on whether the Covid pandemic is still ongoing are about 50/50 too when DKs excluded. It is the same across the different political parties.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/health/survey-results/daily/2024/03/22/bf4bb/1

I would say endemic rather than pandemic myself, but it certainly hasn't gone away.
  • Options

Leon said:

Trent said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

Also, TBF, the line between epidemic/pandemic and endemic isn't a particularly clear one.

We talk about flu seasonal flu epidemics, even is they're of fairly low severity.
    And novel variants of Covid are still reinfecting people worldwide, so it's really semantics as to whether it's now a low level pandemic, or
    epidemic.
  • Options

Taz said:

There are some absolute spanners in the Tory 2019 Toolbox and Gullis is the poster child example of what happens when you unexpectedly win seats.

How was it Unexpected ?

Ruth Smeeth, in a video documentary of the 2017 election said she was forecast to lose and held on by 5.5% in the end.

It was pretty high up on the Tory target list for 2019.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,442
    kamski said:

Taz said:

Heathener said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Get a grip

I take it you've not spent time with desperate attention-seeking toddlers. When it's actually a bitter old man it's truly pathetic.
    Labrador puppies?

“I found this new thing. It’s the awesomest thing in the entire universe. It’s called a T-A-I-L and I have one. Yay me. But it keeps running away when I chase it!”
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    Another Brexit bonus

Holidaymakers going to EU caught out by 10-year-passport rule

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68658209
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited March 27

I am in a few WhatsApp groups with Mr Gullis, I get to see some of his unredacted thoughts, he's so dense, light bends around him, although he did attend the finest university in Oxford.

He's also a dirty scruff

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56180675

In October 2021, Gullis suggested at a fringe meeting during the Conservative Party conference that people using the term "white privilege" should be reported to the Home Office as extremists and that teachers found criticising the Conservative Party should be sacked

and

He seems more obsessed with woke than Leon.
This discussion has been closed.