Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The King might bugger up the plans of Sunak – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,294
    edited March 19
    Bugger Bognor. Said the King.

We will have our new govt in a years time. Good luck to them. They’ll need it.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,308
    Truman said:

Pulpstar said:

Council tax bill has arrived. 2968 for a band E.

Band D would be 2428.

Can anyone top that for their band xD

Band G- £3220.

That's a lot of money for having one's bins emptied every three weeks.
    A lot of people arent paying council tax now. I suppose if enough people refuse to pay the courts get clogged up.
    What about the bins?
  • Options

Had to travel down to the Big Smoke from the Flatlands today (a rare occurrence for me).

Since when did Kings Cross have a Hadith of the Day on the announcement board?

I don't buy into this conspiracy nonsense about the Mayor, but really, is that strictly necessary?

I expect to see Psalm 118 up at Easter.

Actually, no, I'd rather see some platform announcements.

In the spirit of ecumenical thought, can we have this prayer on the Kings Cross board?

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valour pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!
    Ecumenical thought !

That would be an ecumenical matter.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135

fox327 said:

If the King is out of the country, the PM or incoming PM can simply travel to wherever he is to deal with the business of the government / Parliament. This has happened before, I think, in France.

Hell of a difference between going to Biarritz and going to Samoa.
    Actually, given advances in travel technology, a there-and-back round trip to Samoa is easier now, than a trip to Biarritz was then.

EDIT: A thought occurs. Both Sunak and Starmer do their votes and take the plane to Samoa. Wake up to find out which one is PM, meet the King, do a round of meeting Commonwealth heads of state, fly home.
    I like this. Kind of Schrodinger's PM. Super awkward flight home though.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,601
    Truman said:

Just caught bbc 6 o clock news unbelievably the picture of kate is the headline. Well i suppose if the bbc says its Kate it must be true.

Guardian leads on the Garrick membership list. Quiet news day.
  • Options
    RobD said:

pm215 said:

fox327 said:

If the King is out of the country, the PM or incoming PM can simply travel to wherever he is to deal with the business of the government / Parliament. This has happened before, I think, in France.

Or they'll figure out a way to do it remotely or to have some delegated representative do it or postpone it til the King is back. The advantage of a non written constitution is that you can make up new processes and traditions on the fly as necessary. If Sunak wants to hold an election in October or November or wherever then he'll do that and somebody behind the scenes will figure something out to deal with the King being out of the country.
    Indeed.

Or another member of the family acts in the King's stead.

Again, been done before.

A different royal instead of the Queen dealt with the election a few decades ago from memory.
    The Queen Mother and Margaret dissolved Parliament for the Feb '74 election: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/46205/
    Counsellors of State can, on the express instruction of the Monarch, dissolve Parliament under section 6 of the Regency Act 1937. But they can't appoint a new PM - even if instructed to do so by the Monarch. He must do it himself under current law.
  • Options
    prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 441
    stodge said:

Why would the King's travel plans make a difference? The assumption has to be that Sunak will continue as PM after the election.

Even a returning PM has to kiss KC's hand after an election, shirley?
    No. The PM remains in office throughout the election campaign and beyond, until they resign. They are not re-appointed after an election, so no kissing of hands.
    I thought technically the Prime Minister, having lost the ability to command a majority in the Commons following the election, has to go to the monarch and tender his or her resignation and then invites or suggests to the monarch they ask the party leader who can now command a majority to form a new administration.

The bit I've never quite understood is if you stand against an incumbent MP at a General Election and then win the seat, do you become the MP as soon as the result is announced or at some other point. Once the Returning Officer declares you duly elected, is that the moment you become an MP?

The successful former opposition leader is invited to the Palace and upon receiving the commission to form a new administration from the monarch, becomes Prime Minister so the only interregnum is between the formal resignation of the previous incumbent and the acceptance of the commission by the incoming leader (just a few minutes).
    If the PM loses the election, yes, they must resign and suggest who should succeed them. There will then be a kissing of hands for the incoming PM. However, if the PM wins the election they simply carry on, so no kissing of hands.

Whereas all ministers, not just the PM, carry on being ministers after parliament is dissolved, all MPs cease being MPs on dissolution. After the election, all MPs, including those who have been re-elected, have to take the oath of allegiance (or, if they object, make a solemn affirmation). That is the point where they become an MP.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,563

fox327 said:

Actually, given advances in travel technology, a there-and-back round trip to Samoa is easier now, than a trip to Biarritz was then.

EDIT: A thought occurs. Both Sunak and Starmer do their votes and take the plane to Samoa. Wake up to find out which one is PM, meet the King, do a round of meeting Commonwealth heads of state, fly home.
    Loser probably stays for a holiday....
  • Options
    TrumanTruman Posts: 279

Truman said:

Pulpstar said:

Band D would be 2428.

Band G- £3220.

A lot of people arent paying council tax now. I suppose if enough people refuse to pay the courts get clogged up.
    What about the bins?
    Oh id just shove the bin in my car empty the contents in a nearby field then bury them. Save me 200-300 per month.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,082

stodge said:

@JustStop_Oil
    🚨 BREAKING: Just Stop Oil Supporters Disrupt Emily Thornberry

🔥 Casper and Genevieve threw orange confetti and confronted her after she ignored the letter we delivered last week.

🛢️
    @EmilyThornberry must commit to leaving Labour if they fail to cancel Tory oil and gas.

https://x.com/JustStop_Oil/status/1770093336726028624?s=20

Lol "Casper and Genevieve". I bet they went to the local comp.

I bet Casper and Genevieve are those posh bellends who try and pass themselves off as working class people.
    Really, we're picking on people because of their names?

You can do better than that.
    If you knew what my real first name is, you’d have a field day!

And no, I’m keeping schtum.
    I used to know someone me one called Bracegirdle!

He was a vicar’s son
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,950
    stodge said:

Why would the King's travel plans make a difference? The assumption has to be that Sunak will continue as PM after the election.

No. The PM remains in office throughout the election campaign and beyond, until they resign. They are not re-appointed after an election, so no kissing of hands.
    I thought technically the Prime Minister, having lost the ability to command a majority in the Commons following the election, has to go to the monarch and tender his or her resignation and then invites or suggests to the monarch they ask the party leader who can now command a majority to form a new administration.

The bit I've never quite understood is if you stand against an incumbent MP at a General Election and then win the seat, do you become the MP as soon as the result is announced or at some other point. Once the Returning Officer declares you duly elected, is that the moment you become an MP?

The successful former opposition leader is invited to the Palace and upon receiving the commission to form a new administration from the monarch, becomes Prime Minister so the only interregnum is between the formal resignation of the previous incumbent and the acceptance of the commission by the incoming leader (just a few minutes).
    From memory it was about 15 minutes between Gordon Brown resigning and David Cameron accepting. I think it was 30-60 mins after that Cameron appointed Clegg, and I contend that for that 60 minutes it was a Conservative Govt, not becoming a Coalition Govt until Clegg was appointed.

I badly need a life :)
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,701
    Brilliant stuff.

Let's improve tax collection efficiency by closing the helpline.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68606722

(Apologies if we have done this and I missed it.)
  • Options
    Truman said:

Pulpstar said:

Band D would be 2428.

Band G- £3220.

Source please.

The evidence is actually that collection rates are up and arrears down. There was an increase in arrears over COVID (partly because there were limits on all kinds of debt enforcement action) but since then the evidence is that arrears have fallen, economic hardship notwithstanding.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/collection-rates-for-council-tax-and-non-domestic-rates-in-england-2022-to-2023/collection-rates-for-council-tax-and-non-domestic-rates-in-england-2022-to-2023

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,994
    stodge said:

Interesting question about when you become an MP.

One point that might help of course is that technically there is no such thing as an incumbent MP at a GE. They all stop being MPs when Parliament is dissolved. So I assume that the successful candidate does not start being an MP until Parliament is reconvened after the election?
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,765

@JustStop_Oil

🔥 Casper and Genevieve threw orange confetti and confronted her after she ignored the letter we delivered last week.

🛢️
    @EmilyThornberry must commit to leaving Labour if they fail to cancel Tory oil and gas.

Is “Tory oil and gas” the emissions created by squeezing a Tory?
    Casper and Genevieve sound like a pair of shunters from an updated woke version of Thomas the Tank Engine. Casper is perennially indifferent to Genevieve's charms and just can't raise the steam for reasons any modern five-year-old will instantly identify.
  • Options

Truman said:

Pulpstar said:

Band D would be 2428.

Band G- £3220.

Source please.

The evidence is actually that collection rates are up and arrears down. There was an increase in arrears over COVID (partly because there were limits on all kinds of debt enforcement action) but since then the evidence is that arrears have fallen, economic hardship notwithstanding.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/collection-rates-for-council-tax-and-non-domestic-rates-in-england-2022-to-2023/collection-rates-for-council-tax-and-non-domestic-rates-in-england-2022-to-2023

Yep its rubbish. My sister works in the Council Tax department and they have highly effective ways of ensuring it is paid. The bigger issue for them is people using many devious ways to avoid business rates.
  • Options

Truman said:

Pulpstar said:

Band D would be 2428.

Band G- £3220.

Source please.

Whats happening now wont show up in the figures yet.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,082

Watching John Oliver and America's student loans system is bonkers.

Had a woman who finished university ten years ago with a debt of $80,000. In those ten years she had repaid $120,000 and her outstanding balance is $76,000.

I mean how the feck?

It will be timing

Let’s say she is on 12.5% so $10k per year

Including compounding that will be about $115k in internet

No repayments

Then she receives a bribe consultancy fee from Donald Trump and
    pays off $120k in debt

Voila
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894

CatMan said:

"🚨New post budget polling from @IpsosUK🚨

Confidence in each party to have a good long term economic plan for Britain?

Conservatives
    Confident 21%
    Not confident 68%

Labour
    Confident 31%
    Not confident 56%
    "

https://x.com/keiranpedley/status/1770155197890748730?s=20

I listen to a lot of LBC. Callers seem as fed up with Labour as they are the Conservatives. I believe the "Labour are as bad as us, stick with the Devil you know" might be working. 1992 Redux!
    Nah, Labour's got this as people just want to punish the Conservatives.

What this does show though, is that pretty much as soon as Labour enters office it will be downhill all the way for them so I'm expecting a one term Lab government.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Band D would be 2428.

Band G- £3220.

£3510 for Band G in my neck of the woods. But we do have a pretty good bin collection service here.
  • Options
    Just seen this on twitter.

So the ‘bystander’ who shot the Windsor Farm footage is a Film Producer called Nelson Silva. What’s the bet he paid Kate and William lookalikes for a publicity stunt then sold to the highest bidder. Meanwhile the media are realising they’ve been had… #RoyalAnnouncement

https://x.com/She_Ra_Rocks/status/1770098376454860887?s=20
  • Options
    Truman said:

Truman said:

Pulpstar said:

Band D would be 2428.

Band G- £3220.

What about the bins?
    Oh id just shove the bin in my car empty the contents in a nearby field then bury them. Save me 200-300 per month.
    So you live on the Heads of the Valleys road.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    Truman said:

Pulpstar said:

Band D would be 2428.

Band G- £3220.

Yep most people pay council tax in 10 installments from May to February. So few people pay anything in March and April
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    The fact the Commonwealth summit is in mid October and the King needs to attend really should not be an issue. Sunak knows it has been in the diary for months
  • Options
    ajbajb Posts: 123
    On topic: there's no law that it has to be a thursday. They could make it Oct 30th if they want to miss halloween.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889

stodge said:

One point that might help of course is that technically there is no such thing as an incumbent MP at a GE. They all stop being MPs when Parliament is dissolved. So I assume that the successful candidate does not start being an MP until Parliament is reconvened after the election?
    Presumably if and when they take the oath of loyalty which means those elected under the Sinn Fein banners aren;t technically MPs so presumably don't have the salary or benefits? I genuinely don't know.
  • Options
    eek said:

Truman said:

Pulpstar said:

Band D would be 2428.

Band G- £3220.

Yep most people pay council tax in 10 installments from May to February. So few people pay anything in March and April
    For us it is February and March which are the non payment months. With the new financial year starting in April.
  • Options

stodge said:

If the PM loses the election, yes, they must resign and suggest who should succeed them. There will then be a kissing of hands for the incoming PM. However, if the PM wins the election they simply carry on, so no kissing of hands.

Whereas all ministers, not just the PM, carry on being ministers after parliament is dissolved, all MPs cease being MPs on dissolution. After the election, all MPs, including those who have been re-elected, have to take the oath of allegiance (or, if they object, make a solemn affirmation). That is the point where they become an MP.
    I don't think that's technically correct. Elected Sinn Fein candidates never take the oath of allegiance, but are MPs and are entitled to draw expenses to run constituency offices as MPs. They are also appointed to offices of profit under the Crown if they wish to trigger a by-election although they are careful to say they don't "apply" for these - they resign and it's up to the Chancellor to choose whatever daft mechanism he wants. What they can't do without taking the oath is vote, take their seat in the chamber, and draw a salary. But they are MPs - the seats aren't vacant.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    Farage interview with Trump on GB news now
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,602

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I seem to recall certain Republicans pretending to think the unelected Head of State should get involved in political matters around the time of the prorogation case, but I'm happy to agree that His Majesty should take every step to have no part in, influence on, or involvement in, the decision of when the PM will ask for a GE (in the 'cannot really so no' sense of asking).

That wasn't the issue with the prorogation crisis, the Queen being party to an unlawful act was the issue.

King Charles III going overseas isn't unlawful.
    Sure it wasn't, all those arguments people (various people that is) made about how she should have unilaterally rejected the advice of the Prime Minister (without waiting for a court I guess) and didn't 'save' the country from that must have been something else entirely.
    One of the fascinating things, to me about Brexit, was being non-ideological in my vote. I voted remain, but for what I regarded as pragmatic reasons.

The discovery that so many people were prepared to die on the top of that hill was a moderate surprise. What was an extreme surprise was the number of politicians who suddenly decided that *this* was the cause to burn their careers to the ground over.

The ever more bizarre expectations from both sides were a part of that. Some seemed to think that this chap would show up and stop/start/save/abolish Brexit.

Why is the giant alien robot wearing its underpants on the outside?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,549

Pulpstar said:

Band D would be 2428.

Band G- £3220.

£3510 for Band G in my neck of the woods. But we do have a pretty good bin collection service here.
    Besides, it's quite simple, really

You know how politicians, pressure groups and the public have rejected all the attempts to fund social care properly?

The money still has to come from somewhere, and county and unitary councils have been left holding the baby (or troubled child or senior citizen).
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889
    Truman said:

Pulpstar said:

Band D would be 2428.

Band G- £3220.

Yet another throwaway comment which is simply not true.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,549

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I seem to recall certain Republicans pretending to think the unelected Head of State should get involved in political matters around the time of the prorogation case, but I'm happy to agree that His Majesty should take every step to have no part in, influence on, or involvement in, the decision of when the PM will ask for a GE (in the 'cannot really so no' sense of asking).

That wasn't the issue with the prorogation crisis, the Queen being party to an unlawful act was the issue.

Sure it wasn't, all those arguments people (various people that is) made about how she should have unilaterally rejected the advice of the Prime Minister (without waiting for a court I guess) and didn't 'save' the country from that must have been something else entirely.
    One of the fascinating things, to me about Brexit, was being non-ideological in my vote. I voted remain, but for what I regarded as pragmatic reasons.

The discovery that so many people were prepared to die on the top of that hill was a moderate surprise. What was an extreme surprise was the number of politicians who suddenly decided that *this* was the cause to burn their careers to the ground over.

The ever more bizarre expectations from both sides were a part of that. Some seemed to think that this chap would show up and stop/start/save/abolish Brexit.

Tribute to John Major.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020

eek said:

Truman said:

Pulpstar said:

Band D would be 2428.

Band G- £3220.

For us it is February and March which are the non payment months. With the new financial year starting in April.
    That’s a remarkable efficient council getting the bill out before April.

But it does confirm few people pay council tax in March
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

Presumably if and when they take the oath of loyalty which means those elected under the Sinn Fein banners aren;t technically MPs so presumably don't have the salary or benefits? I genuinely don't know.
    They aren't entitled to a salary unless they take the oath (which obviously they choose not to). But they are MPs and entitled to draw legitimate expenses of running an MP's office - which they do.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Band D would be 2428.

Band G- £3220.

You know how politicians, pressure groups and the public have rejected all the attempts to fund social care properly?

The money still has to come from somewhere, and county and unitary councils have been left holding the baby (or troubled child or senior citizen).
    I have to admit I was rather surprised that the increase in Lincolnshire wasn't more. Hearing all these stories about 10% plus increases I was prepared for something along those lines. In fact it was 4.8%.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    HYUFD said:

the Farage/Trump connection has got to be one of the oddest in political history.

I wonder what The Donald *really* thinks of oddball Nigel lol! 😂
  • Options

On topic, I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Samoa thing is a total red herring. It's a bit of an inconvenience if King Chuckie is on the other side of the world. But the options are a call (nothing to say it can't be done) or getting on an aeroplane.

Also totally unfair of TSE to accuses the King of "damaging democracy". I'm not a monarchist but he is, in fact, head of the Commonwealth, so he essentially has to be there (if able with his health), and it's been in the diary for a very long time. And, as I say, it's a bit of a ball-ache rather than "restricting the dates".

Don't let any Germans dial in from hotels !

Are you listening, your majesty ? :wink:
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Band D would be 2428.

Band G- £3220.

I have to admit I was rather surprised that the increase in Lincolnshire wasn't more. Hearing all these stories about 10% plus increases I was prepared for something along those lines. In fact it was 4.8%.
    5% or more requires a referendum.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,474
    Heathener said:

kle4 said:

I'm not sure if they do or not - they serve at His Majesty's pleasure, and if the outcome of an election does not change who has the confidence of the House, is there an actual requirement to re-up as it were? They don't actually serve terms after all.

I don't remember if Cameron, May, or Boris did, but even if they did was it necessary?
    Boris Johnson visited Buckingham Palace to meet the Queen 1
    I find myself thinking of the late Queen quite a lot at the moment.

It obviously wasn’t the Conservatives’ fault but her death is just one more of the ghastly things to have happened during this parliament. And that awful, awful, awful, moment when, masked and grieving for her beloved husband, she sat alone in the Abbey, whilst her PM & Co were having a piss up in Downing St.

We will look back on these years with horror. Almost everything that could have gone wrong, has.
    And it’s going to get worse. AI is coming

You can quote me on that
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Translation: This is riding right up my crack.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,358
    HYUFD said:

I would rather watch paint dry or even Emmerdale !!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The fact the Commonwealth summit is in mid October and the King needs to attend really should not be an issue. Sunak knows it has been in the diary for months

Not a problem if he wins, he has access to helicopters and executive jets by the score to whisk him off to faraway places.
  • Options
    Just had my council tax bill. 1608 quid...but...knock off the flood relief grant and the free months that they're going to credit us for being flooded for over 48 hours and it's bought our bill down to......zilch. Nada. Nothing. Nowt. Zero. I was expecting it to go down to 600 quid. I fully expect a letter telling me there's been an error.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,574
    While I too find Casper and Genevieve amusing, on reflection it's a bit harsh to be critical of them, rather than their idiot parents who so named them.
    Anyway, their JSO stunt was a pretty harmless bourgeois protest.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Are you viewing or have you got paint to watch drying?
  • Options

eek said:

Truman said:

Pulpstar said:

Band D would be 2428.

Band G- £3220.

Same with me in Durham
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I’m watching an Avengers episode, Death of a Great Dane.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,319
    Watching the Trump interview on GBeebies.

0-bonkers in 5 seconds, and he's getting worse the longer it goes on.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

More people switch off the TV and flock to PB for their evening's entertainment.....
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Truman said:

Pulpstar said:

Band D would be 2428.

Band G- £3220.

It has always been that way in both Lincs and Notts. April is when the slight penny adjustments are made then 9 months of equal payments and Fenbrary and March without paying.

Bills usually arrive for the coming year in early to mid March.
  • Options
    edited March 19

Pulpstar said:

Band D would be 2428.

Band G- £3220.

These are ours, Band G £4000-£4100.

• Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,988

@JustStop_Oil

🛢️

Is “Tory oil and gas” the emissions created by squeezing a Tory?
    Casper and Genevieve sound like a pair of shunters from an updated woke version of Thomas the Tank Engine. Casper is perennially indifferent to Genevieve's charms and just can't raise the steam for reasons any modern five-year-old will instantly identify.
    Nah, Casp and Gen are brother and sister fighting the good fight against nasty Tory oil, not like the oil grandfather made money from in the 70’s, different dirty oil, until the summer season starts.

They are going to be supes original this summer and are planning a Saltburn themed party in late July. They cannot wait for all their friends to drive down to Gloucestershire from London and Oxford, well they would take the train but it’s just so hard with delays and other people and all that.

They’ve even found an old bathtub in one of the outbuildings for people to drink pina colada from.

It will be totes hilaire, and what’s best is that absolutely nobody else at all will be having a Saltburn themed party this summer. No way.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    HYUFD said:

There is a Council of State for when the King is out of the country. William can have his hands kissed, as the most senior member of it.
  • Options

Just had my council tax bill. 1608 quid...but...knock off the flood relief grant and the free months that they're going to credit us for being flooded for over 48 hours and it's bought our bill down to......zilch. Nada. Nothing. Nowt. Zero. I was expecting it to go down to 600 quid. I fully expect a letter telling me there's been an error.

Hope it turns out to be the case for you. It's nice when someone gets an unexpected boost.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

I'm not sure if they do or not - they serve at His Majesty's pleasure, and if the outcome of an election does not change who has the confidence of the House, is there an actual requirement to re-up as it were? They don't actually serve terms after all.

I don't remember if Cameron, May, or Boris did, but even if they did was it necessary?
    Boris Johnson visited Buckingham Palace to meet the Queen 1
    I find myself thinking of the late Queen quite a lot at the moment.

It obviously wasn’t the Conservatives’ fault but her death is just one more of the ghastly things to have happened during this parliament. And that awful, awful, awful, moment when, masked and grieving for her beloved husband, she sat alone in the Abbey, whilst her PM & Co were having a piss up in Downing St.

We will look back on these years with horror. Almost everything that could have gone wrong, has.
    And it’s going to get worse. AI is coming

You can quote me on that
    I didn't know you were concerned about AI.

What you should do to really make the point is sh1t-post constantly about it like some kind of bellend.
  • Options
    Taz said:

HYUFD said:

Is that like a Famous Belgian?

(Sorry - off out now.)
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,234
    eek said:

eek said:

Truman said:

Pulpstar said:

Band D would be 2428.

Band G- £3220.

We pay 12 months a year, the bill arriving by email a couple of weeks after the council budget meeting.

To make PB jealous, I pay £84 a month. The square footage of my flat would not make PB jealous though.
  • Options
    Musk on form again tonight.

Most reasonable people, because they are reasonable, cannot believe that the goal of the far left is to end America

https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1770171578736627997?s=20
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,358
    edited March 19

Pulpstar said:

Band D would be 2428.

Band G- £3220.

My council tax (band G) was £3,273 last year and is rising by 9.9% in April to £3,597

This does not include garden waste at £60 nor water which in our case is metered and costs circa £500pa

And our main bin is collected once a month
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,563
    MattW said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

(Sorry - off out now.)
    Are you saying the inventor of the question mark is not famous... ?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,602

stodge said:

There’s no kissing of hands, just touching of hands.

As you have got kissing bit wrong, how can we be sure of the rest of it without a link?
  • Options
    Truman said:

Truman said:

Pulpstar said:

Band D would be 2428.

Band G- £3220.

Source please.

Whats happening now wont show up in the figures yet.
    Local authorities track and publish quarterly collection data compared with previous years so will have published 9 months of the 2023-24 financial year. You can't point to data because it doesn't exist, and you're a bullsh1tter.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,909
    edited March 19
    Flatlands:

Not sure how many Band H there are though!

[Note: Additional charges for Police and Fire, not sure what these are yet]
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408
    edited March 19
    eek said:

eek said:

Truman said:

Pulpstar said:

Band D would be 2428.

Band G- £3220.

Only because the right to pay in twelve equal instalments, making for easier monthly budgeting and avoiding paying your council upfront, is little known despite having been introduced as a right by the coalition. You only have to ask, and your council cannot deny. When I was cabinet member responsible for council tax collection, I was the very first payer in my Borough to apply, and I got some publicity for the opportunity on the back of being the first.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

(Sorry - off out now.)
    Are there any Great Danes ? Ole Mortensen who played cricket for Derbyshire. The Laudrups and musician Victor Borge.

This is a dog in the avengers episode.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Truman said:

Just caught bbc 6 o clock news unbelievably the picture of kate is the headline. Well i suppose if the bbc says its Kate it must be true.

Also on today's front page. P&O overseas workers are still being paid far less than minimum wage - only earning around £5 an hour. This is exactly two years after P&O was in disgrace for sacking all of its workers, illegally (no consultation with unions, deliberately breaking the law), to save costs by employing cheap overseas labour. Also two years after the government (Shapps) promised to bring in new legislation to prevent this sort of corporate malpractice by P&O.

It may not be the biggest issue, but it's a neat microcosm of this government's utter uselessness. They make a promise, and two years later pretty much fuck all has been done. Rinse and repeat.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,988
    Taz said:

MattW said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

(Sorry - off out now.)
    Are there any Great Danes ? Ole Mortensen who played cricket for Derbyshire. The Laudrups and musician Victor Borge.

Cnut.
  • Options
    CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 233
    boulay said:

Taz said:

MattW said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

(Sorry - off out now.)

Cnut.
    Me
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

eek said:

eek said:

Truman said:

Pulpstar said:

Band D would be 2428.

Band G- £3220.

Only because the right to pay in twelve equal instalments, making for easier monthly budgeting and avoiding paying your council upfront, is little known despite having been introduced as a right by the coalition. You only have to ask, and your council cannot deny. When I was cabinet member responsible for council tax collection, I was the very first payer in my Borough to apply, and I got some publicity for the opportunity on the back of being the first.
    I actually prefer the paying in 10 installments. The couple of months without having to pay is always a nice surprise. Pointless I know in the grand scheme of things, but it pleases me.
  • Options
    Heres one for Leon. From the telegraph.

One in five Muslim prisoners is white, amid fears that Islamist gangs are driving conversions
    MoJ review finds evidence that inmates ‘convert’ as a ‘pragmatic response to who controls power in our prisons’

Charles Hymas,
    HOME AFFAIRS EDITOR
    19 March 2024 • 7:32pm

• Options

fox327 said:

Loser probably stays for a holiday....
    Define loser in this context.
  • Options
    One in five Muslim prisoners is white, official figures show, amid fears that Islamic gangs are driving conversions.

Ministry of Justice (MoJ) data has revealed there were 15,594 Muslim prisoners in jails in England and Wales in September 2023, accounting for 18 per cent of all inmates despite comprising only 6.5 per cent of the population.

Of these, 3,096 or 19.9 per cent were white, according to the MoJ figures. This is nearly three times the rate in the general Muslim population, where 7.8 per cent are recorded as white.

Only 5,489 (35 per cent) were of “Asian or Asian British” ethnicity, while one in four (4,212) were black or black British. The rest were of mixed, other or unrecorded ethnicity.

The figures – combining for the first time ethnicity and religious belief – follow a series of reports highlighting concerns that gangs in some jails are ordering prisoners to become Muslims or face violence.

Ian Acheson, who conducted a review of Islamist extremism in prisons for the MoJ, said: “There’s strong evidence that people ‘convert’ as a pragmatic response to who controls power and space in our prisons.

“This seems to be the case in high security prisons, in particular, where safety is at a premium and there are also large numbers of violent young men entering custody searching for meaning and belonging. So Islam in this case has gang characteristics”.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,336
    Truman said:

Musk on form again tonight.

Most reasonable people, because they are reasonable, cannot believe that the goal of the far left is to end America

https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1770171578736627997?s=20

Indeed.

The fact he does therefore demonstrates he is not reasonable.

We all knew it, but I'm surprised he's realised it.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Truman said:

Also on today's front page. P&O overseas workers are still being paid far less than minimum wage - only earning around £5 an hour. This is exactly two years after P&O was in disgrace for sacking all of its workers, illegally (no consultation with unions, deliberately breaking the law), to save costs by employing cheap overseas labour. Also two years after the government (Shapps) promised to bring in new legislation to prevent this sort of corporate malpractice by P&O.

It may not be the biggest issue, but it's a neat microcosm of this government's utter uselessness. They make a promise, and two years later pretty much fuck all has been done. Rinse and repeat.
    I suspect a proper treatment of this would involve joint action by UK, Ireland, France and the Netherlands.

The workers aren't subject to UK law, because they live on the ferry. If the UK say you can't be domiciled in the UK if you pay such wages, P&O could just move their headquarters to one of those other countries, or perhaps even to a third country.

Both P&O and the government were probably hoping the story would go away.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

There is a Council of State for when the King is out of the country. William can have his hands kissed, as the most senior member of it.
    No, he can't. The Regency Acts provide for a lot to be done by Counsellors of State, including dissolving Parliament on the express instruction of the Monarch. But they simply do not extend to appointing a new PM.

A Regent could do it, but one could only be appointed in the event of incapacity, not inconvenience.
  • Options

Trump or Farage?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412

MattW said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

(Sorry - off out now.)
    Are you saying the inventor of the question mark is not famous... ?
    "The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it."

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,774
    HYUFD said:

Indeed. From Sunak's point of view, if he's decided to have an autumn election, any autumn date is as good as any other. But there some dates best avoided for other practical or political reasons:

Avoid:
    - Any date before mid-October: Parliament would have to be recalled from summer recess to dissolve; conference season would have to be cancelled - reasonable notice required.
    - 17th Oct - KC about to go to Samoa, could be tricky if it's a hung parliament requiring long negotiation.
    - 24th Oct - KC in Samoa.
    - 31st Oct - Halloween: nightmare on Downing St
    - 7th Nov - two days after the US POTUS election, not a good idea.
    - 19th Dec - too close to Christmas
    - 26th Dec - obviously not
    - 2nd Jan - Er no.
    - 9th Jan - Christmas/NY would severely restrict campaigning.
    - 16th Jan - As above, also smacks of last-chance saloon.
    - 23rd - ditto.

So I reckon it will have to be: 14th, 21st, 28th Nov, or 5th, 12th Dec.

12th December has a degree of symbolism to it - 5 years to the day the Tories won an 80 seat majority.

It's going to be 12th December, isn't it?
  • Options
    boulay said:

Taz said:

MattW said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

(Sorry - off out now.)

Cnut.
    Nicklaus Bendtner ?
  • Options
    Truman said:

Heres one for Leon. From the telegraph.

One in five Muslim prisoners is white, amid fears that Islamist gangs are driving conversions
    MoJ review finds evidence that inmates ‘convert’ as a ‘pragmatic response to who controls power in our prisons’

Charles Hymas,
    HOME AFFAIRS EDITOR
    19 March 2024 • 7:32pm

I read that as Charles Hamas initially. Mind you, I always read Isam as Islam.
  • Options

Trump or Farage?
    I imagine it’s like the Al Fayed - Neil Hamilton court case. One doesn’t want either side to win.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Band D would be 2428.

And is this in England where you have water bills on top?
    ...and here in Wales.
  • Options

Trump or Farage?
    I'm amazed it took as long as five seconds for either of them to be bonkers.

Whatever they're taking must be doing some good.
  • Options

stodge said:

I think the person becomes a MP when declared ("And I do hereby declare that Ryan Ryan is duly elected") but until they take the oath they don't have the privileges of a MP

Although I am actually making that up: I don't know.

I'm just assuming based on analogy (the Prince became the King at the moment of his mother's death but was not recognised as such until the Accession Council and the Proclamation).
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Indeed. From Sunak's point of view, if he's decided to have an autumn election, any autumn date is as good as any other. But there some dates best avoided for other practical or political reasons:

Avoid:
    - Any date before mid-October: Parliament would have to be recalled from summer recess to dissolve; conference season would have to be cancelled - reasonable notice required.
    - 17th Oct - KC about to go to Samoa, could be tricky if it's a hung parliament requiring long negotiation.
    - 2nd Jan - Er no.
    - 23rd - ditto.

12th December has a degree of symbolism to it - 5 years to the day the Tories won an 80 seat majority.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unexpected_hanging_paradox
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 798
    ajb said:

On topic: there's no law that it has to be a thursday. They could make it Oct 30th if they want to miss halloween.

"It might be the night before Halloween, but Conservatives fear tomorrow will be a real nightmare for the party".

It won't be hard to make a play on the Halloween theme if it's that week.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    GB News headline: America WILL '100%' stay in Nato: Donald Trump vows to back EU countries IF they 'pay their fair share'

https://www.gbnews.com/politics/us/donald-trump-nato-pay-up-usa-took-advantage-latest-news
  • Options
    carnforth said:

HYUFD said:

Avoid:
    - 2nd Jan - Er no.
    - 23rd - ditto.

So nothing to do with Michael Hutchence
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,518
    edited March 19
    For many years now, when I read a metaphor, I almost always try to picture it, to see if it makes sense. (A suprisingly large proportion of them don't. And some of the pictures are quite funny.)

So it was easy enough to picture the title TSE put on this header -- but it left me wondering whether that was what he wanted all of us to see.
  • Options
    Taz said:

MattW said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

(Sorry - off out now.)

• Mads Mikkelsen
    • Viggo Mortensen
    • Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
    • Lars von Trier
    • Hans Christian Andersen
    • Scarlett Johansson (technically)
    • Niels Bohr
    • Søren Kierkegaard
    • Tycho Brahe
    • Helena Christensen
    • Sandi Toksvig
    • Nicolas Winding Refn
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,774
    edited March 19
    Unless I missed it no one seems to have higher CT than the poor residents of Sturminster Newton, Dorset.

Band A £1763.57; B £2057.50; C £2351.42; D £2645.35; E £3233.20; F £3821.06; H £4408.92; G £5290.70
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

I read a transcript of one of his recent speeches the other day, well technically I read about half of it as it was too much for me, one thing very noticeable is the way his mind keeps flitting back to past grievances. Anyone who would vote for or otherwise support this lunatic, who plainly is more focused on staying out of jail and taking revenge than doing anything useful, must themselves be a pretty awful person. God help us if he elected again, the whole world will be in trouble.
  • Options

GB News headline: America WILL '100%' stay in Nato: Donald Trump vows to back EU countries IF they 'pay their fair share'

https://www.gbnews.com/politics/us/donald-trump-nato-pay-up-usa-took-advantage-latest-news

A dodgy f***** who never pays his bills demanding fair payment from others is somewhat ironic.
  • Options

Will he apply it to his tax affairs?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Taz said:

MattW said:

Taz said:

HYUFD said:

(Sorry - off out now.)

• Mads Mikkelsen
    • Viggo Mortensen
    • Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
    • Lars von Trier
    • Hans Christian Andersen
    • Scarlett Johansson (technically)
    • Niels Bohr
    • Søren Kierkegaard
    • Tycho Brahe
    • Helena Christensen
    • Sandi Toksvig
    • Nicolas Winding Refn
    Heard of some of them. I now want to try danish wine

https://www.visitdenmark.com/denmark/things-do/danish-food/vineyards#:~:text=Danish wine has been growing,, Funen, Zealand and Bornholm.
  • Options
    Actually, on the subject of ReFuck, I see Tice is aggrieved that we all call him far right.

And do you know, I think he has a point.

We should call them what they really are.

And the problem with the Refuckers is that on every single issue, they're far wrong.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    carnforth said:

HYUFD said:

Avoid:
    - 2nd Jan - Er no.
    - 23rd - ditto.

I haven't read - or seen an issue of - Scientific American for what feels like decades. I miss it. I would pick up an issues in WH Smiths, a railway station, or an airport. But I don't seem to see it any more.
  • Options
    Taz said:

carnforth said:

HYUFD said:

Avoid:
    - 2nd Jan - Er no.
    - 23rd - ditto.

So nothing to do with Michael Hutchence
    Falsely maligned:

"Although Paula Yates contradicted earlier statements she had made by saying during a 1999 interview that Michael Hutchence's 1997 death might have been caused by autoerotic asphyxiation,[16] the coronial inquest found it to be suicide due to a combination of depression and intoxication with alcohol and other drugs.[17]"

Now, David Carradine on the other hand... bang to rights.
  • Options
    Speaking of Trump, has he gone bankrupt yet?
This discussion has been closed.