Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Mo’ money mo’ problems – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    The netflix docuseries on the cold war isn't a complete write off. I'm actually shocked. Expected it to be filled with "current era" narratives but it isn't at all.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    Denmark to begin conscripting women for the military in rare move
    Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen outlined Danish defense overhaul, with an eye on Russia.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/denmark-extend-military-service-women-conscription/

Third European country to do so.
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 1,997
    Good article from Alistair Heath for anyone who reads the Tele:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/03/13/farage-return-extinction-level-event-for-tories/

Backs up my view on the earlier thread: the best thing for the Tories would be to have the election in May.Yes, they'll lose badly but will be able to come back in 5-10 years depending how Labour do.

If they wait then the risk of extinction level disaster increases. It's certainly possible to see a scenario, where the small boats surge over the summer, Farage comes back, Reform overtake Cons in the opinion polls and then the Cons completely collapse (hint: the Reform is a wasted vote argument won't wash, if Reform are ahead of Con).

So Con should rip off the sticking plaster and get the loss over with,but they'll probably hang on to the last minute as that's another 9 months' wages for a large cohort of people who are going to become unemployed.

As an aside, one of the interesting things to think about is if the current polling continues, how this impacts the election debates and media coverage. In 2010 and 2015, the system was essentially 2+1 (big 2 + Lib Dems). After the LD collapse in 2015 this then became 2+5 (big 2+ 5 smaller parties).

People Polling is perhaps an outlier but there most recent polling had Con only 5% ahead of reform and 8% ahead of LD. If other pollsters show a similarly small gap then you would question whether the broadcasters would have to change the formula (4+3)?

As another aside, I really don't see that the Cons can change PM again but I'm starting to wonder whether it might be possible for Rishi to stay on as PM but get a new party leader who can be candidate for PM at the election. I'm thinking of Germany where they sometimes have different party leaders from Chancellor candidates.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,837

“Of course it’s not racist to say Diane Abbott makes him want to shoot all black women. He didn’t use the N word, did he? So what’s all the fuss about?

Next on GB News, why Muslim monsters should be lynched”

This weekend's polling will be interesting.

Tories below 20%?

Dire opening few minutes for Sunak on BBC news at 10.
    Maybe they’ll start getting back some Reform voters !
  • Options
    TrumanTruman Posts: 279

“Of course it’s not racist to say Diane Abbott makes him want to shoot all black women. He didn’t use the N word, did he? So what’s all the fuss about?

Tories below 20%?

I wonder who their remaining voters are. I imagine wealthy pensioners who still think its 1990 plus a few im alright jack types pulling down big salaries who only care about slightly lower taxes.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237
    Now THAT is a beautiful beer, beautifully poured. Shove your fucking “cellar cool cask ales” up your tight British butts

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/03/13/farage-return-extinction-level-event-for-tories/

Backs up my view on the earlier thread: the best thing for the Tories would be to have the election in May.Yes, they'll lose badly but will be able to come back in 5-10 years depending how Labour do.

If they wait then the risk of extinction level disaster increases. It's certainly possible to see a scenario, where the small boats surge over the summer, Farage comes back, Reform overtake Cons in the opinion polls and then the Cons completely collapse (hint: the Reform is a wasted vote argument won't wash, if Reform are ahead of Con).

So Con should rip off the sticking plaster and get the loss over with,but they'll probably hang on to the last minute as that's another 9 months' wages for a large cohort of people who are going to become unemployed.

As an aside, one of the interesting things to think about is if the current polling continues, how this impacts the election debates and media coverage. In 2010 and 2015, the system was essentially 2+1 (big 2 + Lib Dems). After the LD collapse in 2015 this then became 2+5 (big 2+ 5 smaller parties).

People Polling is perhaps an outlier but there most recent polling had Con only 5% ahead of reform and 8% ahead of LD. If other pollsters show a similarly small gap then you would question whether the broadcasters would have to change the formula (4+3)?

As another aside, I really don't see that the Cons can change PM again but I'm starting to wonder whether it might be possible for Rishi to stay on as PM but get a new party leader who can be candidate for PM at the election. I'm thinking of Germany where they sometimes have different party leaders from Chancellor candidates.

We don't think our PM is fit to be PM.
    So vote for us.
    Germany has a tradition of this. We don't.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    Note 2019 Tory voters don't want Hester's money returned even if they think his comments were racist.

Of course Sunak with a net worth of £730 million with his wife has almost double the £415 million net worth of Hester so could probably afford to return his donations and make up the difference himself
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679
    Leon said:

Now THAT is a beautiful beer, beautifully poured. Shove your fucking “cellar cool cask ales” up your tight British butts

Bighead
  • Options

Sunak isn't going to step down as Tory leader, not least as no alternative leader with the possible exception of Mordaunt polls any better than him.

The danger may be if Farage comes back as Reform leader but no evidence of that yet, if he did and Reform were clearly third or even second he would love a 3 way debate with Sunak and Starmer
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 529
    edited March 13
    geoffw said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

The AI revolution is a disruptor. Like the Industrial Revolution two centuries ago. Lots of jobs/occupations disappear. But others appear, some new some old. People will shift into activities where they have a comparative advantage. Imagine that AI bots can do everything humans can, but better or more efficiently. Even so, there will - with logical certainty - be activites where humans have comparative advantage, as David Ricardo taught us before the Industrial Revolution (though the Luddites of the time were oblivious to this insight).

Why is it a logical certainty that humans will be able to do jobs AI can’t?

I’m not on a wind up. Properly curious

Also what are these jobs? Lots of people would like to know including my daughters in their late teens now choosing uni courses

I am fairly sure some jobs will survive and some will be created - but u don’t see it as “logically certain” - and I am much less sure that the new jobs will be anywhere near as plentiful as all the jobs lost
    The AI machines may be able to do everything better than any human. They therefore have an absolute productivity advantage in every job. But humans, though less productive at any activity than the bots, are bound to be relatively better at some than others. It is a matter of relative (or in Ricardian language, comparative) costs across different activities (jobs). The usual explicator for this argument is in the field of international trade, comparing Portugal with England, where Portugal can produce both wine and cloth more efficiently than England. Nevertheless both gain from trade by producing the product in which they have camparative advantage.
    Wiki's explanation with Ricardo's example is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparative_advantage
    Neither machines nor their instruction sets are economic actors.
    This was true at the time of the industrial revolution. It was true during the mass production revolution. It is true now.
    It remains true when the distinction between machines and instruction sets ("AI robots") blurs.
    One big macroeconomic question regarding AI is the impact on world population, a question that can hopefully be addressed in non-Asimovian terms.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    HYUFD said:

Note 2019 Tory voters don't want Hester's money returned even if they think his comments were racist.

Of course Sunak with a net worth of £730 million with his wife has almost double the £415 million net worth of Hester so could probably afford to return his donations and make up the difference himself

That's what a smart politician would do...
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 1,997
    geoffw said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

The AI revolution is a disruptor. Like the Industrial Revolution two centuries ago. Lots of jobs/occupations disappear. But others appear, some new some old. People will shift into activities where they have a comparative advantage. Imagine that AI bots can do everything humans can, but better or more efficiently. Even so, there will - with logical certainty - be activites where humans have comparative advantage, as David Ricardo taught us before the Industrial Revolution (though the Luddites of the time were oblivious to this insight).

Also what are these jobs? Lots of people would like to know including my daughters in their late teens now choosing uni courses

I am fairly sure some jobs will survive and some will be created - but u don’t see it as “logically certain” - and I am much less sure that the new jobs will be anywhere near as plentiful as all the jobs lost
    The AI machines may be able to do everything better than any human. They therefore have an absolute productivity advantage in every job. But humans, though less productive at any activity than the bots, are bound to be relatively better at some than others. It is a matter of relative (or in Ricardian language, comparative) costs across different activities (jobs). The usual explicator for this argument is in the field of international trade, comparing Portugal with England, where Portugal can produce both wine and cloth more efficiently than England. Nevertheless both gain from trade by producing the product in which they have camparative advantage.
    Wiki's explanation with Ricardo's example is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparative_advantage
    I think that AI will have the technical ability to do some people's jobs but the limiting factors will be trust and privacy. Would you trust the AI to fill in and submit your tax return? Probably not but I can see a scenario where AI does a lot of the grunt work and then humans check and refine the AI output.

There is also the factor that if AI gets to the stage that it can take over all white collar workers' jobs then Governments will severely clamp down on it as it would collapse the world economy and cause massive social unrest
  • Options
    edited March 13
    Truman said:

Tories below 20%?

I wonder who their remaining voters are. I imagine wealthy pensioners who still think its 1990 plus a few im alright jack types pulling down big salaries who only care about slightly lower taxes.
    Well there's a certain percentage of people who have always voted for one party and always will (albeit those voters are shrinking with each election, which goes a long way to explaining why British politics is now so volatile)

I mean somehow Labour still managed to get 30% in 2019... 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,581
    Nigelb said:

Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen outlined Danish defense overhaul, with an eye on Russia.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/denmark-extend-military-service-women-conscription/

In case of Denmark, could these invidious Nordics be planning an irredentist coup, to regain the Danelaw via surprise invasion, spearheaded by Amazonian shock troops?

Perhaps, once a beachhead has been established (somewhere near Grimsby?) concealed in actual Amazon vans. (Possibly with connivance of Jeff Bezos?)

• Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,506
    From Previous Threads: There is no single American system of voting. There are, to begin with, 51 systems, beginning with the 50 states and DC. But it gets more complex than that quickly, as this little excerpt shows:

"In mostly-mail elections, all registered voters are sent a ballot in the mail. The voter marks the ballot, puts it in a secrecy envelope or sleeve and then into a separate mailing envelope, signs an affidavit on the exterior of the mailing envelope and returns the package via mail or by dropping it off.

Ballots are mailed out well ahead of Election Day, and thus voters have an “election period,” not just a single day, to vote. Mostly-mail elections can be thought of as absentee voting for everyone. This system is also referred to as “vote by mail.”

Eight states—California, Colorado, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Vermont and Washington and the District of Columbia—allow all elections to be conducted entirely by mail.
    Two states—Nebraska and North Dakota—permit counties to opt into conducting elections by mail.
    Nine states—Alaska, Arizona, Florida, Kansas, Maryland, Missouri, Montana, New Mexico and Wyoming—allow specific small elections to be conducted by mail.
    Four states—Idaho, Minnesota, New Jersey and New Mexico—permit mostly-mail elections for certain small jurisdictions."
    source: https://www.ncsl.org/elections-and-campaigns/table-18-states-with-all-mail-elections

Nor are the rules quite the same across states, even if they fall into one of those general categories. Washington, for example, requires that votes be mailed (or deposited in a box) by election day. Which means that county election offices have not even received all fo the ballots yet. Other states that use all-mail voting may have different rules.

(Washington does allow in-person voting, which is intended to help some handicapped pepole vote.)
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,632
    edited March 13
    GIN1138 said:

Truman said:

Tories below 20%?

Well there's a certain percentage of people who have always voted for one party and always will (albeit those voters are shrinking with each election, which goes a long way to explaining why British politics is now so volatile)

There’s no real non-party reason to vote Tory this year though, in the way there were people - remainers - holding their noses and voting Labour for a second referendum despite loathing Corbyn (I wasn’t one of them).

The only conceivable non party reason left is to prevent too big a majority.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679

Nigelb said:

In case of Denmark, could these invidious Nordics be planning an irredentist coup, to regain the Danelaw via surprise invasion, spearheaded by Amazonian shock troops?

Perhaps, once a beachhead has been established (somewhere near Grimsby?) concealed in actual Amazon vans. (Possibly with connivance of Jeff Bezos?)

With a post like that one can only join in the fun, Elsinore it.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Truman said:

And this. People are starting to hurt.

That’s the official attendance but being there today I’d confidently say it was much lower.
    I’ve never seen so it quiet in the last 12 years I’ve been going.
    The ridiculous ticket, alcohol and food prices are extortionate and people are finally waking up to it
    9:21 PM · Mar 13, 2024
    ·
    Views

https://x.com/LeeWoodhouse00/status/1768024518071640470?s=20

Clearly he missed the covid years.
  • Options
    edited March 13
    Truman said:

Tories below 20%?

Not just wealthy pensioners, most pensioners who own their own homes are still voting Conservative and the Conservatives still lead with Leavers, especially white working class Leavers. Albeit by a much smaller margin than 2019 with leakage to Labour and Reform especially in the redwall
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,506
    For the record: In general I am opposed to all-mail voting, though favoring it for those who are unable to be home when they vote.

It is more subject to fraud, and it robs us of an important community-building ceremony, especially if we stand in line with other voters.

And it may allow coercion, especially in extended families, since ballots are no longer secret.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,793

Nigelb said:

Yes. That is definitely going to happen. I can hear their battle cries now. "We're not Dutch!", "No you're thinking of Norway!" and "Would you like some bacon!". Curse those perfidious Danes and their comestibles. :)
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976
    TimS said:

GIN1138 said:

Truman said:

Tories below 20%?

There’s no real non-party reason to vote Tory this year though, in the way there were people - remainers - holding their noses and voting Labour for a second referendum despite loathing Corbyn (I wasn’t one of them).

A very good friend of mine, and a Labour supporter, voted Tory in 1992 for exactly that reason.
    Too clever by half.
    Don't do it kids! You'll never live it down.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    rkrkrk said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

I struggle to imagine the terminally ill devout Catholic requesting an AI robot to play a recorded message for their last rites.

Perhaps not that helpful for your daughter though!
    Jobs I can't see AI doing terribly well (yet):
    Fireman
    Nurse
    Plumber
    Electrician

Basically, any proper job.

Jobs like mine, which involve writing reports only a small handul of people will read, or being one of a handful of people to read a report that someone has written, are doomed though.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    Leon said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

I remember that from my economics A level. I’m not at all sure the rules of international trade can be applied to the advent of AI, in fact I’m fairly sure they can’t
    Comparative advantage explains why Michael Jordan employs a gardener to mow his lawn even though he can mow it better himself. So MJ spends his time playing basketball, not mowing. In this context AI is like Michael Jordan - it can do everything better than humans. But since resources are limited, it will do that subset of things that it can do relatively well, leaving humans to do those things they do relatively (but perhaps not absolutely) well.
    I would suggest that humans will always do interpersonal relations better than bots for a start.

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

“£415 million net worth of Hester”

How much of that net worth is tax payers money from government contracts?

How much of the Tory Party’s election war chest come from tax payers money from state contracts the Tory government awarded their donors, or from policy changes that helped them get filthy rich?

Fortunately, by the time of any autumn election, the full details of the governments ViP lane contract awards, and other contract awards before and after covid will be much better known by the voters, thanks to the ongoing investigations into these.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    Cookie said:

rkrkrk said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

I struggle to imagine the terminally ill devout Catholic requesting an AI robot to play a recorded message for their last rites.

Fireman
    Nurse
    Plumber
    Electrician

Jobs like mine, which involve writing reports only a small handul of people will read, or being one of a handful of people to read a report that someone has written, are doomed though.
    Also: comedian. AI doesn't seem able to do humour yet.
  • Options

From Previous Threads: There is no single American system of voting. There are, to begin with, 51 systems, beginning with the 50 states and DC. But it gets more complex than that quickly, as this little excerpt shows:

"In mostly-mail elections, all registered voters are sent a ballot in the mail. The voter marks the ballot, puts it in a secrecy envelope or sleeve and then into a separate mailing envelope, signs an affidavit on the exterior of the mailing envelope and returns the package via mail or by dropping it off.

Ballots are mailed out well ahead of Election Day, and thus voters have an “election period,” not just a single day, to vote. Mostly-mail elections can be thought of as absentee voting for everyone. This system is also referred to as “vote by mail.”

Eight states—California, Colorado, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Vermont and Washington and the District of Columbia—allow all elections to be conducted entirely by mail.
    Two states—Nebraska and North Dakota—permit counties to opt into conducting elections by mail.
    Nine states—Alaska, Arizona, Florida, Kansas, Maryland, Missouri, Montana, New Mexico and Wyoming—allow specific small elections to be conducted by mail.
    Four states—Idaho, Minnesota, New Jersey and New Mexico—permit mostly-mail elections for certain small jurisdictions."
    source: https://www.ncsl.org/elections-and-campaigns/table-18-states-with-all-mail-elections

Nor are the rules quite the same across states, even if they fall into one of those general categories. Washington, for example, requires that votes be mailed (or deposited in a box) by election day. Which means that county election offices have not even received all fo the ballots yet. Other states that use all-mail voting may have different rules.

(Washington does allow in-person voting, which is intended to help some handicapped pepole vote.)

Re: last paragraph, WA State law requires counties to have at least one location for in-person voting, also voter assistance. Mid-to-large counties have multiple locations for this.

For example, voters in King County can vote in person at election headquaters, and at five other locations across the county, including Lumen Field (aka Taxpayers Park, at least by me) our pro football-soccer stadium (not redundant in USA).

Available for any voter, but as Jim says especially set up to assist those with physical disabilities.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,940
    edited March 13

Nigelb said:

Perhaps their leading General could have a dark backstory. Some moody shots of them depositing .... something into an unmarked drop box. Cut to a happy UKIP-voting family in the home counties for cross-market sales.

OMG!

They've all been arrested by heavily armoured Danish police for wrongthink!

:: queue emotional intro music ::

:: nothing happens much for the next nine episodes ::

OMG!

The General was a Baddy!

:: end credits ::
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,837
    Surely there would be a huge conflict of interest when a major donor gets awarded government contracts.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,787
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I’ve made it to the death place of Bolivar. And I’m having one of those evil cold light fizzy lagers again

And I’m afraid it is fucking delicious, after 6 hours on a Colombian bus

Not a bad view as well

I always assumed you travelled a bit more lux. My Thai and Cambodian bus trips weren't too bad though. Bangkok to Kanchanaburi on 3rd class non-air-con train was a blast
    Bus is the only way around Colombia. Don’t think they even have trains

Also I hate - seriously - travelling lux all the time. How boring. I like to switch it up. Bus and train stations are great places to meet people and check out local life. Even the lowlife. And if you rough it for a few days then you appreciate the luxury (like these suites) all the more
    More than two thousand miles of railway. Got sleepers and all.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722

Professor of Medicine Martin Kurldorff says he has been fired from Harvard for telling the truth.

https://www.city-journal.org/article/harvard-tramples-the-truth

Scanned some of the article and it’s clear he is a lockdown skeptic, which is fine. But he rails against closing schools as the covid risks were min8mal to children. Well yes, they were. But what about all the older folks, you know the teachers, support staff etc? I do have to wonder at some peoples logical abilities.
    An interesting factoid is that schools did close in Sweden during Covid. All high schools were closed by policy and many primary schools took the individual decision to move to distance learning even though there was no policy requirement to do so. The initial policy was not to close schools and that's what people picked up on but that was reversed when Sweden was faced with very high infection rates.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,783

Julian Knight MP
    @julianknight15
    ·
    3h
    The Conservative Party must return every penny of Mr Hester’s donation no ifs no buts.

https://twitter.com/julianknight15/status/1767977096645595317

And if they did, their next big donor will be asked:
    “Are you happy to donate to a party who tolerates/encourages racists?”
  • Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169
    Ratters said:

AI hype is a classic case of engineers/coders/tech bros thinking that what most people do in their job on a day basis can just be automated by their latest invention.

We were supposed to have fully automated self driving cars ago. They seem to be no closer to solving "the last 1%" than they were then, even in more friendly locations in the US vs somewhere harder like London.

Assisted driving makes life easier for long drives on the motorway. But it's not the revolution of being able to be a passenger idly watching TV that was promised.

These LLMs will similarly help in creating first drafts of essays, of emails, of music etc. It will make things much more efficient. Some people will lose their jobs. But it won't be a wholesale revolution making 25% of the population redundant.

Finally - I don't think AGI necessarily means enlightened genius that takes over everything. The current Tory cabinet has general intelligence, but that doesn't make it any less crap.

And I don't care what 'experts in the field say' as they have made so many incorrect predictions on other forms of AI in the recent past. Only the passage of time will prove me or them to be right or wrong.

*Ducks*

I do wish @Ratters you'd comment more, every post you make is insightful and interesting.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Imagine the lolz if Hester then says thanks mate and pays the money on to Reform.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

rkrkrk said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

Fireman
    Nurse
    Plumber
    Electrician

I'd put it more in the line (long-ish-term) of 'experiential' jobs. Personal trainer, yoga teacher, waiting staff at very high-end restaurants. Stuff that you pay that extra £££ for. Possibly even knapper for a bespoke (and apparently UK-owned) gazette.

Firemen I can see being (relatively) quickly 'demoted' in some sense to the 'last mile' parts of the job. The others will take a bit more just due to the economics of human vs robot I think.
  • Options
    I think the Tory defeat was inevitable from 2016 onwards, with 2019 a clear outlier.
  • Options
    Rishi Sunak is SO BAD at politics. Every decision he makes is like he's trying to increase the size of the Labour majority, does he have a pony on it?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

rkrkrk said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

Fireman
    Nurse
    Plumber
    Electrician

I can certainly see AI being used to put out a fire and provide a robot to mend leaking plugs or repair a broken fuse soon
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Professor of Medicine Martin Kurldorff says he has been fired from Harvard for telling the truth.

Scanned some of the article and it’s clear he is a lockdown skeptic, which is fine. But he rails against closing schools as the covid risks were min8mal to children. Well yes, they were. But what about all the older folks, you know the teachers, support staff etc? I do have to wonder at some peoples logical abilities.
    An interesting factoid is that schools did close in Sweden during Covid. All high schools were closed by policy and many primary schools took the individual decision to move to distance learning even though there was no policy requirement to do so. The initial policy was not to close schools and that's what people picked up on but that was reversed when Sweden was faced with very high infection rates.
    I think you'll find, if you read enough Reddit and Discord, that Sweden took zero measures against Covid and had zero people die. If anything, they had a rebirth and everyone who contracted Covid spawned five blonde-haired blue-eyed children.

Or ... something like that.
  • Options
    Truman said:

And this. People are starting to hurt.

That’s the official attendance but being there today I’d confidently say it was much lower.
    I’ve never seen so it quiet in the last 12 years I’ve been going.
    The ridiculous ticket, alcohol and food prices are extortionate and people are finally waking up to it
    9:21 PM · Mar 13, 2024
    ·
    Views

https://x.com/LeeWoodhouse00/status/1768024518071640470?s=20

And the car park mud was an issue too. Some cars had sunk completely, and may never be seen again.

John Newell from Stafford told the Small Heath Post “I had an A3 on loan agreement. The Stewards told me they watched it sink through the mud, till it was gone, but were not allowed to intervene for health & safety. I don’t know how the insurance covers it, especially as I’m black. It couldn’t have been worse, as we had left the Mother in Law in the back, now the wife is creating.”
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    edited March 13
    Over a quarter of 5 year olds in London are not fully vaccinated against measles.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/jan/24/this-is-urgent-the-uk-is-scrambling-to-stem-an-alarming-tide-of-measles?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The best English region was the north east but even there nearly 10% are not covered. Covid lockdowns will have disrupted the normal process of inoculation.
  • Options
    AI isn't even good at programming, if it can't do that I am convinced that as of right now it can't do much else right.

It also has no creative or innovatory sense, being trained entirely on what humans have created and innovated themselves.
  • Options

Rishi Sunak is SO BAD at politics. Every decision he makes is like he's trying to increase the size of the Labour majority, does he have a pony on it?

Hes never been tested has he. Made massive amounts of easy money when young parachuted into an ultra safe seat then got the applause for dishing out free money during covid.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

TimS said:

GIN1138 said:

Truman said:

Tories below 20%?

A very good friend of mine, and a Labour supporter, voted Tory in 1992 for exactly that reason.
    Too clever by half.
    Don't do it kids! You'll never live it down.
    The only quasi-clever thing I did for the presidential primary, was wait until the last minute to cast it (via letter slot in local post office).

So my vote was NOT counted as of last night.

HOWEVER, just checked online; King Co Elections received my ballot (in this morning's USPS delivery) and has already validated my humble signature.

So in norm course of business, expect it to be counted perhaps tomorrow, following further processing, namely opening the outer envelop, separating the ballot from the envelope and inspecting it (in case I spilled coffee or something worse on it) then scanning it into the tabulation system.
  • Options

On topic, I think the last of those polls is clearly wrong. The country has become more united with Left, Right and Centre, Pro and anti-Brexiteers, men and women, and people of all races and creeds uniting in one clear and forthright position.

Sunak and the Tories must go.

We should rejoice at the way in which he has been able to forge this national consensus.

Not entirely, even Yougov still has the Conservatives leading with Leavers on 33% to 29% for Reform and 27% for Labour while Labour leads with Remainers strongly on 58% to 12% for the LDs and 11% for the Tories
    https://ygo-assets-websites-editorial-emea.yougov.net/documents/TheTimes_VI_240307_W.pdf
  • Options

Over a quarter of 5 year olds in London are not fully vaccinated against measles.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/jan/24/this-is-urgent-the-uk-is-scrambling-to-stem-an-alarming-tide-of-measles?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The best English region was the north east but even there nearly 10% are not covered. Covid lockdowns will have disrupted the normal process.

Not surprising given londons diverse make up. The ethnic minorities tend to be most sceptical of vaccines.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    ohnotnow said:

FF43 said:

I think you'll find, if you read enough Reddit and Discord, that Sweden took zero measures against Covid and had zero people die. If anything, they had a rebirth and everyone who contracted Covid spawned five blonde-haired blue-eyed children.

Or ... something like that.
    With the passage of time I think we can say no-one got the Covid response completely right. But countries that dealt seriously with what was a very big threat did OK. Sweden was one of those countries.
  • Options
    @mwadams for some reason it won't let me quote you.

The coolest AI advances are very specific use cases, they are not generalised.

On the Mac, Apple added this really cool thing where when copying text from PDFs, because of the way the file is structured, by default you don't get text selection in the "flow" of the document. They wrote a model that can infer how the document would actually be read and so copied by a human. That's a cool and useful improvement. But it's very limited in scope. That came about in 2009 - the use cases haven't really - let's be honest - improved much beyond that.

I don't know how much information I have to give Leon to convince him he is clueless, he just won't listen. I was intrigued to how AI would work for our use cases and it's been a complete disaster, we've turned it off...
  • Options
    @rcs1000 is there something you can do to limit the quote depth, if you have a quote depth of more than 3 or so, the performance of the commenting becomes super poor, I assume it's a rendering problem.
  • Options
    Leon said:

geoffw said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

I remember that from my economics A level. I’m not at all sure the rules of international trade can be applied to the advent of AI, in fact I’m fairly sure they can’t
    You have a B-Level.

Bullshit
  • Options
    mwadams said:

I don't think Leon is a fool, though. I think he is doing his research on the internet and is listening to the "most interesting" voices, rather than the "most sober" voices. The sober voices are probably too sober. But in this space (as in crypto before) the most interesting voices are, unfortunately, mostly grifters and the odd fruit loop.

Leon is a classic hype and doom merchant, he will go hunting for anything that confirms "end of the world". You can see it in his obsession with aliens.

He will be the guy who told us the world was going to end in 2012.
  • Options

I accept it's not particularly scientific but on the whole, if Leon is raving.about.something it's safe to conclude it's a dud.

My Dad used to say, when a taxi driver starts telling you to buy the stock it's time to get out.
  • Options

For the record: In general I am opposed to all-mail voting, though favoring it for those who are unable to be home when they vote.

It is more subject to fraud, and it robs us of an important community-building ceremony, especially if we stand in line with other voters.

And it may allow coercion, especially in extended families, since ballots are no longer secret.

Respect your opinion, even though I disagree. And certainly WA State Republicans did, when they supported all vote-by-mail elections . . . except in King County with all us pesky Democrats.

Do agree that going to the polls was a civic festival and I always enjoyed it, even when I was a little kid and my mom took me when she voted, just to get me started so to speak.

Probably one reason why I like to observe at Election headquarters on Election Day, and usually bring my ballot with me, and vote it then and there.

Jim, no doubt you would make a great election observer. Urge you to consider doing just that if possible this year, for the primary and/or general election, down at King Co Elections in Renton, either as a party observer or independent via League of Women Voters (no gender bending required for you to meet LWV requirements). They give new observers a training session, and a tour of the facility including all basic operations of ballot processing and vote counting.
  • Options

mwadams said:

I don't think Leon is a fool, though. I think he is doing his research on the internet and is listening to the "most interesting" voices, rather than the "most sober" voices. The sober voices are probably too sober. But in this space (as in crypto before) the most interesting voices are, unfortunately, mostly grifters and the odd fruit loop.

Leon is a classic hype and doom merchant, he will go hunting for anything that confirms "end of the world". You can see it in his obsession with aliens.

Which is ironic in view of the fact it was Aztecs, not Mayans, that Albert Hofmann famously encountered.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 780

Ratters said:

AI hype is a classic case of engineers/coders/tech bros thinking that what most people do in their job on a day basis can just be automated by their latest invention.

We were supposed to have fully automated self driving cars ago. They seem to be no closer to solving "the last 1%" than they were then, even in more friendly locations in the US vs somewhere harder like London.

Assisted driving makes life easier for long drives on the motorway. But it's not the revolution of being able to be a passenger idly watching TV that was promised.

These LLMs will similarly help in creating first drafts of essays, of emails, of music etc. It will make things much more efficient. Some people will lose their jobs. But it won't be a wholesale revolution making 25% of the population redundant.

Finally - I don't think AGI necessarily means enlightened genius that takes over everything. The current Tory cabinet has general intelligence, but that doesn't make it any less crap.

And I don't care what 'experts in the field say' as they have made so many incorrect predictions on other forms of AI in the recent past. Only the passage of time will prove me or them to be right or wrong.

*Ducks*

I do wish @Ratters you'd comment more, every post you make is insightful and interesting.
    That's nice of you to say, though it does occur to me that if I posted more a much lower proportion or my comments would be either insightful or interesting.
  • Options

mwadams said:

It did. Nick Bostrom, Oxford University's genius on AI, was right and we are just a simulation.

Seriously, the amount of absolute space cadet bullsh** that gets talked about AI is almost unbelievable. The clue is in the "A".
  • Options
    Ratters said:

Ratters said:

*Ducks*

That's nice of you to say, though it does occur to me that if I posted more a much lower proportion or my comments would be either insightful or interesting.
    Perhaps - but every time you post I think "what an interesting chap Ratters is and they always have a lot to say". Perhaps as you allude, it is better that way round.

Anyway, I thought your post insightful - and I hope you are keeping well otherwise as we don't often cross paths.
  • Options
    Ratters said:

Ratters said:

*Ducks*

That reply in itself is splendidly insightful and interesting. 😀
  • Options
    Donkeys said:

mwadams said:

It did. Nick Bostrom, Oxford University's genius on AI, was right and we are just a simulation.

Seriously, the amount of absolute space cadet bullsh** that gets talked about AI is almost unbelievable. The clue is in the "A".
    AI is a meaningless waffle term now. What Leon means, I think, is LLMs, which I am not aware of anyone believing they will be taking jobs.
  • Options

Ratters said:

Ratters said:

*Ducks*

That reply in itself is splendidly insightful and interesting. 😀
    Hope you will resist the urge to get yourself banned again Moon, you post some interesting analysis even if I don't agree. More interesting than "ALIENS", "AI" at least.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    edited March 13
    Ratters said:

Ratters said:

*Ducks*

Ha! Your AI post was quality.

Made me think, anyway.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,779
    Ratters said:

Ratters said:

*Ducks*

Quantity over quality is key!
  • Options
    Elon Musk said he wanted to remove politics from Twitter.

He's now openly Tweeting about pro-Trump/anti-Biden things.
  • Options
    Ratters said:

*Ducks*

I'm on the more AI booster side of things, in the sense of believing what it can and will do rather than that it will actually lead to good outcomes necessarily, if clearly not on the scale of Leon, but tech bros have a history of coming up with technical solutions to non technical things and thinking that is revolutionary and astounding, and investors following suit.

• Options
    If AI - as advertised on here - is going to put us all out of work, remove all sense of purpose in human lives and, eventually, kill everyone, then what is the point of it?
  • Options

Musk is a blowhard (albeit one with some good businesses and some other not good ones), and as a rich and powerful man is probably used to getting away with lying in people's faces in small ways without being called out for it, as a demonstration of power. He can pretend to be a free speech 'absolutist' then freak out when people are mean to him, and it just doesn't matter to him, and similar deceits will follow.

I just wish he'd spend more time on his businesses besides twitter, but he seems to enjoy posting random stuff.
  • Options

If AI - as advertised on here - is going to put us all out of work, remove all sense of purpose in human lives and, eventually, kill everyone, then what is the point of it?

To see if it can be done of course.

You could tell people their AI will absolutely go the way of Skynet and they'd still want to try creating it to see if it was possible.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Trump Says Humiliating Videos of His Brain Farts Are AI-Generated
    https://gizmodo.com/donald-trump-ai-videos-hur-testimony-fake-debunk-1851331323
    ..After the hearing, Trump proceeded to go on the defensive and claim that “Artificial Intelligence was used by [Democrats] against me in their videos of me.” However, Gizmodo confirmed that all 32 videos were real clips taken from the former president’s public appearances and interviews in recent years. Of those, three clips were from Trump’s 2022 deposition in the E. Jean Carroll rape trial.

While it’s unsurprising that Trump, a prolific liar, lied about the clips of him being AI-generated, the incident highlights how increasingly difficult it will be to fact-check claims made by public figures as technology advances...

I wouldn't call Trump a prolific liar so much as a compusive one. He lies even about stuff he doesn't need to or has no point to it, it's quite weird.
  • Options
    Perhaps AI can be harnessed in the service of AV?

PB Double Whammy!
  • Options
    edited March 13
    Donkeys said:

mwadams said:

Never trust anyone who is too pussy to use a swear word and instead writes asterisks. How utterly epicene
  • Options
    PB.

One to watch for the future: Keir Mather. Future in the cabinet.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

You could tell people their AI will absolutely go the way of Skynet and they'd still want to try creating it to see if it was possible.
    I could think of lots of things we could try “to see if it’s possible”. Why not nuke both ice caps, in a concerted worldwide salvo of ICBMs from every major military power, to see what happens?
  • Options

kle4 said:

I could think of lots of things we could try “to see if it’s possible”. Why not nuke both ice caps, in a concerted worldwide salvo of ICBMs from every major military power, to see what happens?
    AI will be limited long before that ever happens, if it even gets there which I think it won't.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Donkeys said:

mwadams said:

Never trust anyone who is too pussy to use a swear word and instead writes asterisks. How utterly epicene
    Okay.

You are completely full of shit.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Requires a lot more people and steps to make happen, increasing the odds someone will stop it, rather than a very small number of people tinkering away.
  • Options
    Santa marta is unexpectedly glamorous

Thought it was gonna be a rundown port. Not the case

• Options
    Leon said:

Donkeys said:

mwadams said:

Googles "epicene"

Oh. Well, that's a new one. I thought it meant "fat".
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,209

PB.

If Tory mothers were naming their children Winston we’d mock them both. Somehow the Labour Keirs get away with it.
  • Options
    In 18 years on here I think I've only ever genuinely sworn maybe five times (and then, as far as I know, never "fs" or "cs" ?)

Not that I'm a pussy but because I like to think my posts can be read and get noticed without having to resort to turning the air blue...

+ On the odd occasion when I do drop a swear bomb I know it counts for so much more ;)
  • Options

Donkeys said:

mwadams said:

AI is a meaningless waffle term now. What Leon means, I think, is LLMs, which I am not aware of anyone believing they will be taking jobs.
    No waffle is meaningless PROVIDED you have ready access to quality maple syrup.
  • Options

The most depressing thing about Elon is that he has hundreds of billions of dollars and still has a shit hair transplant. Jeff Bezos, also wealthy, is involuntarily bald. Donald Trump, former POTUS, had a flap replacement so bad he had to adopt and adapt a comb over.
  • Options

On topic, I think the last of those polls is clearly wrong. The country has become more united with Left, Right and Centre, Pro and anti-Brexiteers, men and women, and people of all races and creeds uniting in one clear and forthright position.

Sunak and the Tories must go.

We should rejoice at the way in which he has been able to forge this national consensus.

LOL! :D
  • Options
    edited March 13

kle4 said:

In the immortal (scripted) words of Miriam Margolies, have you thought of sticking a Dinky car up a cat's bum?
  • Options

You think AI is a bummer.

On my end of creation, just starting to realize, that my most celebrated achievement of a lifetime, may well turn out to be the fact that I actually met - and shook hands with! - Joel Pritchard the inventor of pickleball.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Why would a port in a country with a rep for exporting massive amounts of drugs have a prosperous port? Tis beyond my tiny brain.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

I disagree. It would make suggest conspicuous wealth and distance from voters. Best to keep the cash and blag this one out.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

In 18 years on here I think I've only ever genuinely sworn maybe five times (and then, as far as I know, never "fs" or "cs" ?)

Not that I'm a pussy but because I like to think my posts can be read and get noticed without having to resort to turning the air blue...

+ On the odd occasion when I do drop a swear bomb I know it counts for so much more ;)

There’s something to be said for that approach

It’s a bad writer who relies on cuss words for effect (they are FAR too common in modern tv drama and movies). However they are powerfully useful and English has the best swear words of all (where is the French “fuck” eh? Eh??? Exactly) and they are in the toolbox

But if you’re gonna swear SWEAR

Asterisks are for tw*ts

• Options
    carnforth said:

PB.

If Tory mothers were naming their children Winston we’d mock them both. Somehow the Labour Keirs get away with it.
    Saddened you would mock an innocent child for having a mockable moniker.

Boy Named Sue - Johnny Cash Live at San Quintin 1969
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnqWOI5MoXo

• Options
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

Why would a port in a country with a rep for exporting massive amounts of drugs have a prosperous port? Tis beyond my tiny brain.
    lol fair. I think I was over relying on the guidebook, which implies it’s a bit of dump where you have to “hunt for the good stuff”

It’s not Cartagena but it is itself. Also an incredible location. The Andes march right into the sea here. I believe it is the tallest coastal mountain range on earth

Bolivar chose a good place to die

It’s a damn shame so much of Colombia is a fucking crime ridden toilet. It’s a fantastically interesting country with multiple beautiful landscapes and marvellous wildlife and yet another ancient culture obsessed with human sacrifice. What was that about????

• Options

You think AI is a bummer.

On my end of creation, just starting to realize, that my most celebrated achievement of a lifetime, may well turn out to be the fact that I actually met - and shook hands with! - Joel Pritchard the inventor of pickleball.
    If it’s any consolation that just made me laugh out loud on my balcony in Colombia
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    Cookie said:

rkrkrk said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

Fireman
    Nurse
    Plumber
    Electrician

Sports star, Call Girl, rent boy, pole dancer, strip-o-gram and on-the- ground travel writer are surely safely guaranteed occupations.
  • Options

Cookie said:

rkrkrk said:

Leon said:

geoffw said:

Fireman
    Nurse
    Plumber
    Electrician

Sports star, Call Girl, rent boy, pole dancer, strip-o-gram and on-the- ground travel writer are surely safely guaranteed occupations.
    I genuinely think that might be it. That list. That’s what will be left

70% of my job will be gone within 5 years. An Ai can design the perfect basalt butt plug - better than anything I can make - then email the blueprint
    to a 3D stone printer lathe which will then churn them out by the trillion. My job is gone. Maybe I will have a small hut in st Ives where I can selll my inferior versions on the basis that they are “artisanal” = flawed but human

But the big money is gone

That leaves travel writer for the knappers gazette and opinionater for the same in exotic locations. That’s actually extremely hard to robotise. An ai can’t get drunk on margaritas in the Maldives or get itself arrested, amusingly, in Mauritius

But that’s a pretty tiny niche left for me. What does everyone else do?

I am genuinely fearful for the future of human work and therefore humanity. I don’t write this AI doom porn JUST coz it amuses me. It also sincerely horrifies me
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

lol fair. I think I was over relying on the guidebook, which implies it’s a bit of dump where you have to “hunt for the good stuff”

It’s not Cartagena but it is itself. Also an incredible location. The Andes march right into the sea here. I believe it is the tallest coastal mountain range on earth

It’s a damn shame so much of Colombia is a fucking crime ridden toilet. It’s a fantastically interesting country with multiple beautiful landscapes and marvellous wildlife and yet another ancient culture obsessed with human sacrifice. What was that about????

"If you can't trust a South American drug lord, who can you trust?"
  • Options
    Leon said:

Donkeys said:

mwadams said:

Coming from a man who boasted on a betting site that he'd just smuggled some weed gummies into Cambodia.

I used asterisks because I thought the site mods might object to swearwords being spelled out. I was too lazy to find out whether that's true or not. I'm a potty mouth IRL. This is because I have a RL. The internet is just for my pussy persona. How about you?

Re. AI, why don't you run the idea past Mary that you can write a piece or two for the Gazette on what's really important in the infotech revolution, which isn't "AI" and whether it will put luvvies on the dole, or even plumbers, or what fancy machines mean for evolution, but population size and chipping.

• Options
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Villa de Leyva is great for a day or two.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    Regarding AI - I worked out that we could automate a large part of our report writing at work just using a basic version of Chat GPT. The resultant reports would be of a higher quality and accuracy than the written output of the (graduate level) staff doing the work. I haven't suggested it because I know already that the managers won't entertain the idea; but what will happen is the brighter staff will start using it anyway and the change will happen that way.
This discussion has been closed.