Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Bad news for backers of the second coming of Truss – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Nigelb said:

If SKS did not visit the Speaker yesterday to persuade him to allow the Labour amendment,Im surprised he has not personally confirmed this..

Starmer visit is not contested
    Why is Starmer not facing any flack for doing that then?
    He did, yesterday, when it was put about that he threatened the speaker's position if he did not acquiesce. The story has evolved in that Starmer argued that his MPs were receiving death threats and that his motion was designed to unify all of the opinions and move past the narrow partisanship which weaponises the issue.

This is the simple truth about BJO calling Starmer a "genocide enabler" - death threats against MPs as a result. Wherever you stand on this issue, we can't have government by mob. On any issue.
    Imagine this site's reaction if Sunak had done something like this
    Sunak *has* done this. Repeatedly. As did Truss (the vote on fracking fiasco) and Boris. With growing rows between the treasury bench and the Speaker.
    Went to his Office and told him unless he did something then his Party would withdraw support for him? Sunak has upset the Speaker but has never threatened him
    That was what allegedly happened and appears to have been fed by the Tories. That does not appear to be what actually happened.
    It was led by the BBC Nick Watt as per this

https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/status/1760315363542122769?t=cGiOHaiVlCZfFUxQNEsxlg&s=19
    That doesn't actually name Starmer, as Watt goes on to say that "the Speaker met multiple MPs this week because he has an open door policy".

Ribgy also reported that multiple Labour MPs had plead with him earlier in the week to allow them to vote on the Labour amendment.
    It is not denied Starmer met Hoyle
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,222
    Roger said:

'From the Israeli Minister for Social Equality and Women's Advancement '

Chilling.....

https://twitter.com/ireallyhateyou/status/1760354792663142557

Yes, as is attacking a music festival, slaughtering innocents, abducting, raping etc.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,729
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

If SKS did not visit the Speaker yesterday to persuade him to allow the Labour amendment,Im surprised he has not personally confirmed this..

He did, yesterday, when it was put about that he threatened the speaker's position if he did not acquiesce. The story has evolved in that Starmer argued that his MPs were receiving death threats and that his motion was designed to unify all of the opinions and move past the narrow partisanship which weaponises the issue.

This is the simple truth about BJO calling Starmer a "genocide enabler" - death threats against MPs as a result. Wherever you stand on this issue, we can't have government by mob. On any issue.
    Sunak *has* done this. Repeatedly. As did Truss (the vote on fracking fiasco) and Boris. With growing rows between the treasury bench and the Speaker.
    Went to his Office and told him unless he did something then his Party would withdraw support for him? Sunak has upset the Speaker but has never threatened him
    That was what allegedly happened and appears to have been fed by the Tories. That does not appear to be what actually happened.
    For the speaker to break Parliamentary Standing orders and to go against warnings given to him by the Clerk of the House, the threat must have been real.
    The Speaker has provided an explanation as to why he went against convention in this case. People may disagree with that explanation justifying that decision, but had the BBC story not come out it would have been reasonable enough that outrage would have been far less, possibly confined to the SNP and some Tory grumbling. So it is possible he made the call for the reasons he says he did, not due to threats.
    How would debating the Labour motion mean there would be more of a debate on the subject to protect MPs?

Jon Craig said last night on Sky that the idea that the protection of MPs was the reason for the allowance of the Labour amendment was nonsense.
    Just because someone's reasoning was nonsense does not mean it could not be sincere.

I don't know if he was threatened and I suspect the two people involved will never admit otherwise so it won't be proven, but people make decisions for stupid reasons too, so threats are not the only explanation of why he made the call.
    There are a lot more than two people involved. Hoyle has an "open door" policy, and met a lot of MPs this week.
    Which probably accounts for the several conflicting stories.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    148grss said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    I spoke to an MP yesterday who told me he had weighed up his own physical safety when deciding on how to vote on yesterday’s Gaza motion. We have crossed a line now. We are not a properly functioning democracy if this is a factor in how our elected representatives act.

I just don't take this in good faith. I'm sorry, but the same line was trotted out by SCOTUS post Dobbs when people all over the US started protested the leak that they were going to destroy Roe and essentially make abortion illegal in multiple states, and practically illegal in many more - and it was BS then too. With great power comes great responsibility; and great consequences if you misuse that power. I think online and physical harassment should not happen to anyone, but that doesn't mean all forms of showing disgust with the person tasked to represent you is a threat.

It has become a pattern amongst powerful people, now that social media and such allows people to directly respond to them, to cast all forms of criticism as a threat, or as abuse. And much of the time it just isn't - it's average people sharing their opinion to powerful people who aren't used to having average people question them in such a manner.
    So aside from firebombings, racist graffiti on offices, threatening letters, emails, phone calls... There is no actual threat to MPs.

Oh, and a few murders.

Gotcha.
    Obviously I'm not endorsing acts of violence such as murder or firebombings, or threatening letters or emails. But we have to have a reasonable line.

Taking the firebombing as an example; I look at articles like this:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/dec/25/police-investigate-suspected-arson-conservative-mp-mike-freer-office

This article, unnecessarily in my opinion, notes that protests happened outside a different MPs surgery. What has that got to do with the issue of violence? It's the conflation of what I see as good faith engagement in democracy - protest - with this, typically anonymous, violence and threats of violence that I think is bad. Obviously threats against MPs should be taken seriously if they are serious, but we cannot have a situation where people are not allowed to protest MPs out of some general "fear for their safety" - anyone could say that about any protest or demonstration, any mass gathering or just anyone passing them in the street. You need probable cause to strip people of what I think is an important and legitimate method of political expression.
    IMV protest is only 'good faith engagement' if it is non-threatening and accepts that there are other reasonable contrary views.

Protest is not 'good faith engagement' if it harms, threatens to harm, or causes genuine fear.
    Okay - so people outside an MPs surgery with a clear political purpose to their protest shouldn't be an issue.
    As long as they don't interrupt the MP's surgery, or prevent people attending.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,878
    The Tories and SNP ganging up to get rid of the Speaker . Not a good look .
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,878
    edited February 22
    Nigelb said:

https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/status/1760315363542122769?t=cGiOHaiVlCZfFUxQNEsxlg&s=19
    That doesn't actually name Starmer, as Watt goes on to say that "the Speaker met multiple MPs this week because he has an open door policy".

Ribgy also reported that multiple Labour MPs had plead with him earlier in the week to allow them to vote on the Labour amendment.
    It's true that it doesn't name Starmer specifically, but if it was the case that Labour figures threatened the Speaker would it really be done behind his back? How would the threat be effective if not backed up by the leadership implicitly?

I was surprised by the initial story as I cannot imagine Starmer being incautious enough to threaten the Speaker and then have internal sources admit to him doing it.

So assuming for the moment the source did not lie to the BBC either they were mistaken, or they let it slip when they were not supposed to, or Starmer authorised the reveal knowing it would be denied so he looks machiavellian and powerful?

All rather murky, I still don't see how Labour benefit from undermining the Speaker's position, so the source going beyond what they were meant to seems plausible.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,502
    148grss said:

kle4 said:

148grss said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    I spoke to an MP yesterday who told me he had weighed up his own physical safety when deciding on how to vote on yesterday’s Gaza motion. We have crossed a line now. We are not a properly functioning democracy if this is a factor in how our elected representatives act.

I just don't take this in good faith. I'm sorry, but the same line was trotted out by SCOTUS post Dobbs when people all over the US started protested the leak that they were going to destroy Roe and essentially make abortion illegal in multiple states, and practically illegal in many more - and it was BS then too. With great power comes great responsibility; and great consequences if you misuse that power. I think online and physical harassment should not happen to anyone, but that doesn't mean all forms of showing disgust with the person tasked to represent you is a threat.

It has become a pattern amongst powerful people, now that social media and such allows people to directly respond to them, to cast all forms of criticism as a threat, or as abuse. And much of the time it just isn't - it's average people sharing their opinion to powerful people who aren't used to having average people question them in such a manner.
    The level of threats and abuse around what is going on in Palestine is egregious.

Azerbaijan recently ethnically cleansed Nagorno-Karabakh, but basically no-one in the UK even raised an eyebrow. Large numbers of people have died or been displaced in fighting in Yemen, Sudan and Myanmar, but you see little reporting on any of this. Ditto the ongoing conflict in Syria. No MP has been made to feel unsafe over any of these.

What is happening in Gaza, and Israel/Palestine more broadly, is horrendous and I'm all for people in the UK paying attention to these events, and campaigning for a better way. However, the level of outrage around Palestine is now, and has for some years, been so much greater than other tragedies. This is because parts of the Left have made Palestine a cause célèbre. This had led to a level of protest that leaves politicians and communities feeling threatened. This is not a good thing. This has done nothing to actually improve the situation in Israel/Palestine.
    Good post. Passion for and interest in other matters is a good thing. But the level of it on this specific issue is outsized.
    Makes you wonder.

Heard a story that an MP who has a personal protective weapon (from association with NI) got close to using it when threatened with a knife.

What would @148grss make of an MP doing the Mozambique Drill on a constituent?

EDIT: How long before MPs not involved in Northern Ireland start asking for personal protective weapons?
    Of course people have the right to self defence - although carrying a weapon for self defence is illegal in this country, and I don't see why MPs should be placed above other people who are also dealing with the public.
    Carrying a firearm for self defence is specifically allowed, in law, at the discretion of the Home Secretary. Further, such weapons are actually provided by the state. As is range time and training.

The reason, usually, is a significant threat to life. Quite a few politicians in Northern Ireland carry.

The Shinners whinned, a while back, that their PPWs were a bit old, and not cool. They wanted SIGs.

The number of actual murders of MPs and assaults on same is getting to a level - at what point can you make a legitimate argument that your life is at specific risk?
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,776
    To save people the back breaking work of clicking on your link, here are the figures:

"Latest YouGov Westminster voting intention (20-21 Feb)

Con: 20% (-4 from 14-15 Feb)
    Lab: 46% (+2)
    Lib Dem: 9% (=)
    Reform UK: 13% (+2)
    Green: 7% (-1)
    SNP: 4% (+1)
    "
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,243
    Starmer was trying to protect Labour MP's from the SNP motion.

Some way to go before Billy Bawheid is up for the Nobel Peace Prize.

https://x.com/theipaper/status/1760352769553080404?s=61&t=LYVEHh2mqFy1oUJAdCfe-Q

An Israeli minister described him as "naive".

Ouch !!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

It's true that it doesn't name Starmer specifically, but if it was the case that Labour figures threatened the Speaker would it really be done behind his back? How would the threat be effective if not backed up by the leadership implicitly?

I was surprised by the initial story as I cannot imagine Starmer being incautious enough to threaten the Speaker and then have internal sources admit to him doing it.

So assuming for the moment the source did not lie to the BBC either they were mistaken, or they let it slip when they were not supposed to, or Starmer authorised the reveal knowing it would be denied so he looks machiavellian and powerful?
    My first reaction on hearing this story was that Starmer had suddenly developed balls.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,365

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

What has happened to Trump in the last day or two?

His popularity has cratered

and his supporters seem to be deserting him.

Not reflected in the betting though.

Er... not reflected on the 538 tracker either
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/favorability/donald-trump/
    Odd. My source is also 538
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

Looks like the average is overreacting to one recent poll with a sample size of 1,100 from American Research Group. YouGov shows zero swing over the same period.

Unfortunately, I think this is more 538's problem than Trump's.
    It is from 2021......
    Yes. Oops.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,769
    "Starmer denies threatening Speaker

Sir Keir Starmer has "categorically" denied threatening Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle to select Labour's amendment in the Gaza ceasefire debate.
    The Labour leader said he "simply urged" Sir Lindsay to have "the broadest possible debate" by putting a number of options in front of MPs.
    "I can categorically tell you that I did not threaten the Speaker in any way whatsoever," he said."

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-politics-sunak-starmer-general-election-vote-labour-tories-speaker-sky-news-politics-hub-12593360

• Options

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

My first reaction on hearing this story was that Starmer had suddenly developed balls.
    Now you've restarted the trans debate.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,274
    Sir Lindsay Hoyle, the speaker, is responding to Flynn.

He says he made a judgment call that did not end up where he expected. He regrets it. He apologises to the SNP. He has made a mistake. He says he will allow an emergency debate under standing order 24 on this.

He will defend all MPs, he says.

He says he never ever wants to pick up a folder to pick up a note about an MP being murdered.

He says he has been shown material that is “absolutely frightening” about the threats to MPs.

Guardian

The police need to act and act hard on this before our democracy goes the way of US where GOP people backed Trump's election fraud nonsense because they were scared for their families.

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:
    I'd go.

I've never been that far north and it'd be a great excuse to ride the amazingly scenic Far North Line.

Might even combine with a ferry trip to the Orkneys.
    The north coast of Britain is stunning. Make the trip.
    Really tempting to take Friday off and just disappear tonight and catch the sleep train to Inverness. I'd be there by lunchtime tomorrow.

Trouble is the Caledonian sells out well in advance, and I'm not sure my wife would welcome me abandoning her with two young kids all weekend.
    When I was 17 my dad saved tokens from Sainsburys and bought cheap ba tickets from Gatwick to Inverness. We spent the weekend touring the north coast to Skye and flew back from Glasgow.

Worth it!
    Amazing!

I'm such a train nerd. I'd love to do the full Caledonian sleeper.

Expensive though.
    Ha. I’ve just done it and several other lines. Took the Caledonian Sleeper to Inverness ten days ago and it was wonderful. Coming over the Drumochter Pass when there was still snow was magical.

Then last Friday I took the Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh line which is absolutely stunning. I was lucky with the weather. Just breathtakingly beautiful.

On Sunday I took the West Highland line from Fort William to Glasgow which … well the superlatives simply roll on and on.

I took the Caledonian Sleeper to FW not long ago too and if anything that was even lovelier, although FW doesn’t compare as a town to the city of Inverness.

Three of the world’s most scenic railway journeys right there, right here, on our doorstep.

Highly highly recommended.

xx
    The Inverness to fort William line is stunning

Yet few people know of it. Mad
    Incredibly the DK Guide to Scotland barely mentions that line or the other three I’ve mentioned. All of which would get a double page spread if they were anywhere else on the planet. Utterly bizarre.

The West Highland Line has several times been voted the most beautiful railway journey in the world.

Thoroughly recommend these routes. There’s something quite magical about sleeping out of Euston, or indeed hitting on board bar @Leon ;) and waking up to sunrise in the Highlands.
    One of my favourite things about the Inverness Kyle line is that there’s a station called “Muir of Ord”

I’ve been on that line a couple of times and I always faintly hope that the station - being so remote - is literally named after one guy, Muir, from Ord, who stands there in the middle of the forest and occasionally gets on the train
    :)

To those who complain about the Caledonian Sleeper being pricey, well … maybe … but ...

For c. £200 Club Class you're getting a night’s accommodation with breakfast + the travel itself in some style + the views

I had a solid 7 hours’ sleep with lovely sheets and duvet. Took my shower in my room. Was served my proper coffee and Scottish porridge and watched a snowy sunrise over the Cairngorms, to arrive in beautiful Inverness. A while back on the other side I woke in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs in time for the climb up across stunning Rannoch Moor.

Worth every penny of £200 in my book.
    I had to go to Aberdeen for the RSS Conference. I wanted to go by Caledonian Sleeper but it sold out the week I went to the travel agent. I went by plane instead. It wasn't as nice. The faff involved in front door to taxi to airport to flight to airport to taxi to hotel is not good. I hate trains but sleepers look much more fun and yes, 200 pounds would have been worth it.
    How can anyone - especially a PBer - “hate trains”?

😶

I get that an early morning commute from Stockport to Walsall might not be as romantic as the trans Siberian but still - trains!
    Agree. I find I get bored driving after about 100 miles, particularly if on a motorway and I hate the hassle of flying. I have done 2 trips around Italy by train and 1 across Portugal and my regular French cycle trip involves a lot of trains (10 for the last trip) to get to/from our start/end points. They are all really enjoyable and the European trains tend to be on time and very cheap.
    French trains are great. They all gripe about the TER but compared to Northern Rail at its worst they’re almost flawless.
    The very best are in Japan. And Switzerland
    Hmm. Having traveled on trains a bit around the world:

Japan: excellent - clean, punctual, quick. System runs like clockwork. Including when it goes wrong, when then it all grinds to a halt. Good value.

Switzerland: very good. Also clean and punctual. But: can be horribly expensive; also, punctual because they're frequently slow.

France: better than Switzerland. Proper 21st century railway (despite 19th/20th century infrastructure). Let down only by iffy stations.

Germany: not nearly as good as you'd expect; frequent delays. Good quality though.

Benelux: Functional.

Italy: Pleasant.

Greece: Probably on strike. If not, slow. Quite good quality though.

Austria: mix of Germany and Switzerland. Naturlich.

Bulgaria: Bloody horrible.

Russia: Excellent, if slow. Everything works. Probably because it dare not do otherwise.

Thailand: not a big network but it works. Great value.

General rule: always go with the cheap option - you meet more normal people that way. (The exception is if travelling overnight, in which case upgrade as far as you can)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

For the speaker to break Parliamentary Standing orders and to go against warnings given to him by the Clerk of the House, the threat must have been real.
    The Speaker has provided an explanation as to why he went against convention in this case. People may disagree with that explanation justifying that decision, but had the BBC story not come out it would have been reasonable enough that outrage would have been far less, possibly confined to the SNP and some Tory grumbling. So it is possible he made the call for the reasons he says he did, not due to threats.
    How would debating the Labour motion mean there would be more of a debate on the subject to protect MPs?

Jon Craig said last night on Sky that the idea that the protection of MPs was the reason for the allowance of the Labour amendment was nonsense.
    Just because someone's reasoning was nonsense does not mean it could not be sincere.

I don't know if he was threatened and I suspect the two people involved will never admit otherwise so it won't be proven, but people make decisions for stupid reasons too, so threats are not the only explanation of why he made the call.
    There are a lot more than two people involved. Hoyle has an "open door" policy, and met a lot of MPs this week.
    I was watching PMQs and then the subsequent extraordinary delaying tactics by Labour mps with points of order whilst Starmer was with Hoyle

Starmer has just admitted on Sky he had the discussion with Hoyle
  • Options
    So Starmer is either a flip flopper and weak or a ruthless politician who threatened the Speaker. Being thought of as the latter does have some upsides for Starmer .
  • Options

Nigelb said:

It is not denied Starmer met Hoyle
    No one is suggesting he didn't.

I was pointing out that there isn't actually a source for the claim that Starmer threatened Hoyle. The Watt tweet is quite ambiguous on that point.
  • Options
    Good site for train travel, ManInSeat61.

https://www.seat61.com
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,243

Yesterday's nonsense would never have happened if The Truss was still PM.

Liz4Leader24
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

He says he made a judgment call that did not end up where he expected. He regrets it. He apologises to the SNP. He has made a mistake. He says he will allow an emergency debate under standing order 24 on this.

He says he never ever wants to pick up a folder to pick up a note about an MP being murdered.

He says he has been shown material that is “absolutely frightening” about the threats to MPs.

Guardian

The police need to act and act hard on this before our democracy goes the way of US where GOP people backed Trump's election fraud nonsense because they were scared for their families.

I still fail to see how allowing the labour amendment would have added to the debate yesterday, other than to ensure that SKS did not have a massive mutiny amongst Labour MPs.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,269
    Andy_JS said:

Sir Keir Starmer has "categorically" denied threatening Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle to select Labour's amendment in the Gaza ceasefire debate.
    The Labour leader said he "simply urged" Sir Lindsay to have "the broadest possible debate" by putting a number of options in front of MPs.
    "I can categorically tell you that I did not threaten the Speaker in any way whatsoever," he said."

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-politics-sunak-starmer-general-election-vote-labour-tories-speaker-sky-news-politics-hub-12593360

Mandy Rice Davies comments...
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,914

Eabhal said:

I think it's a pretty bad look for the SNP/Tories to force the Speaker to resign. Both are parties projected to lose seats at the next GE - regardless of the facts, it just makes them look like sore losers.

But the Speaker really, really fu**ed up last night. And it was an unforced error.

He will not be accused of being Starmer's fan, however fair or unfair that might be.

More importantly IMV, he potentially placed non-Labour MPs in increased danger, not less.
    I've spent an hour looking into it and barely have a grasp of what is going on.

To most people it's just going to look like stupid Westminster bubble bollocks. And it's even worse for the Tories, who now find themselves siding with the SNP!

If Hoyle resigns then the agitation for a GE will only grow. This feels like the clogged Brexit parliament now.
  • Options
    SNP leader, Stephen Flynn, on Sky says Lindsay Hoyle no longer has the confidence of SNP mps
  • Options

Guardian

I understand that the idea of "going American" on threats to MPs was discussed, some time ago. That is, identify and prosecute as a default.

The police pushed back with the volume of prosecutions that would be required.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

All rather murky, I still don't see how Labour benefit from undermining the Speaker's position, so the source going beyond what they were meant to seems plausible.
    You're assuming that there was a "threat", and that it was effective.

As I've said, it seems more likely to me that he caved in to sob stories from a number of Labour MPs about potential threats to them.

I don't think he should have done so, but equally I find myself in the uncomfortable position of agreeing with Mark Francois, that he shouldn't be sacked for it.
  • Options

Roger said:

Chilling.....

Yes, as is attacking a music festival, slaughtering innocents, abducting, raping etc.
    Exactly but that is the trouble. Each side's outrages trigger the extremists on the other side. If there is to be peace, there has to be subjugation or, as in Northern Ireland, an agreement not to be provoked. Israel is currently exploring the first option.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

As I've said, it seems more likely to me that he caved in to sob stories from a number of Labour MPs about potential threats to them.

I don't think he should have done so, but equally I find myself in the uncomfortable position of agreeing with Mark Francois, that he shouldn't be sacked for it.
    I agree with you and it is not an uncomfortable position
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,720

Andy_JS said:

Mandy Rice Davies comments...
    True but if he didn't deny it plenty would assume that he had threatened Hoyle, so what's he to do?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,488
    I think Hoyle should have said he spoke to Starmer. That wasn’t particularly clear yesterday and it looks a bit murky because he formed the same opinion as Starmer was allegedly putting to him.
  • Options
    edited February 22
    CatMan said:

To save people the back breaking work of clicking on your link, here are the figures:

"
    Not a good look for the Tories to be only 7% ahead of Tice/Farage.
  • Options
    Most people will say Hoyle apologized , accepted his error and MPs should accept that .

The SNP and Tories continuing to go after him just looks spiteful .

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,658
    edited February 22
    Andy_JS said:

Yes it is excellent. Don't know how the guy that runs it does it. I've asked questions before and you get really helpful replies really quickly.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

CatMan said:

"
    Not a good look for the Tories to be only 7% behind Tice/Farage.
    *Ahead, before everyone freaks out
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027

OnboardG1 said:

OnboardG1 said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

What exactly did Hoyle do, again? It is an outrage and I am outraged but I can't quite pin down what he did.

Very nuanced front page of the Graun today illustrating whatever point it was.

Went against the advice of his top clerk, see Tom Goldsmith's letter on X (Other social media is available) for procedure.

Only took soundings from Starmer prior to going against the advice of Goldsmith.

On one of only 3 out of 20 parliamentary days per session per sitting allocated to the SNP, the above actions effectively high-jacking the day away from them.

OK thanks makes sense. So he f**ked the SNP by privileging Lab and everyone disliked that.

Why did he do it and what did the Cons want, for example.
    Depends what you believe the shenanigans were. Some are claiming Starmer threatened to boot him after the next election. Others claim he got a bunch of representation from MPs who were worried about their safety if they couldn’t vote for a motion that threaded the needle between the two positions.

Had the Tories not submitted what was effectively a wrecking amendment then the vote would have been between Labour and SNP versions of the motion. Normally (for some reason of ancient and silly precedent) only the government amendment would be selected. Hoyle chose to hear both amendments, his reasoning being it was a matter of conscience of some gravity. The SNP are upset because they didn’t get to vote on their motion (legit, although it was an obviously bad faith motion in the first place). The Tories are upset because they had procedural jujitsu pulled on them and they’re the only ones allowed to do that dammit.

The Tories withdrew their motion because there were enough Tory rebels to pass Labour’s amendment and then they and the SNP stormed out.
    I get that the SNP motion was uncomfortable for Starmer who short months ago was saying it was legitimate for Israel to cut off food and water supplies to Gazan civilians (aka collective punishment), but if the Labour Scottish sub branch was passing motions last weekend that specifically mentioned collective punishment, how was sticking to the line they generally have for the last few months 'bad faith' on the part of the SNP?
    Because it included language that was obviously designed to make it unpalatable to Labour MPs. It was a nice bit of clever drafting, but if they’d wanted genuine consensus and not a fight they’d have put up a clean “this house supports an immediate ceasefire” motion. But they didn’t, they included language on collective punishment that they knew Labour MPs would not accept. The motion was written in bad faith to cause Labour political problems. Labour figured out how to break the trap. Tough.
    Perhaps if Labour had had genuine consultations and discussions with the SNP rather than lying about it, 'genuine consensus' might have happened. Unlikely, but it definitely wasn't going to happen with all the bad faith smoke screens that Labour were pumping out.
    Deleted
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,274
    edited February 22

Guardian

I understand that the idea of "going American" on threats to MPs was discussed, some time ago. That is, identify and prosecute as a default.

Really?

Jeez.

Well, we might as well just give up then and just let the far right and the theocrats alternate their death threats to our MPs and let that run the country.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,853
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

Pulpstar said:

He solved the issue in a way that means he'll avoid the flack as the average man on the street isn't bothered about Standing Order 31 rules on 3rd party opposition days. But it is key for the speaker.

Hoyle had the look of a man that realised his good nature had been taken advantage of and used by Starmer for political purposes (As evidenced by Lucy Powell's speech and the immediate self congratulatory Labour ceasefire tweets on X) when he issued his apology.

As per @Dura_Ace comment Starmer had his own self interest in mind in this one. Which was fair enough.
    The more I think about it the only actual solution was for the speaker to reject the wording of the SNP motion as the incendiary device it was designed to be.

And I don’t think that was an option hence the mess.

Seriously I look at this and think SKS was the only grown up in the room who saw the proposals for the tripwire they were
    The speaker should have rejected it, as being something outwith the competence of this Parliament.

The SNP runs their own Parliament, if they wish to submit totally meaningless motions on international conflict.
    Foreign policy not in the remit of Westminster, as opposed to Holyrood? You really, totally, don't think that is a typo in your post?
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Andy_JS said:

CatMan said:

"
    Not a good look for the Tories to be only 7% behind Tice/Farage.
    *Ahead, before everyone freaks out
    Is that a Freudian slip
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Most people will say Hoyle apologized , accepted his error and MPs should accept that .

You can't have a speaker who has demonstrated that he is not impartial
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Wise MPs would shut up and move on. The SNP have an interest in painting the picture of a broken Westminster system. Otherwise, shut up and solve the important things, such as our strategic nuclear deterrent potentially being useless at a time where Putin is on the march.
  • Options

Guardian

Really?

Jeez.

Well, we might as well just give up then and just let the far right and the theocrats alternate their death threats to our MPs and let that run the country.

That's what we are doing.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,878
    edited February 22
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

I'm not assuming there was a threat and it was effective - my conclusion in that post was that I find it plausible the unnamed Labour source behind the claim went stronger than they were supposed to, as I don't see why Keir would a) threaten b) tacitly admit to it through a senior Labour source.

What I was saying is that if there was a threat then it need not have been made directly by Starmer to have come from Starmer, since it was noted the Watt post does not say Starmer. Indeed if one was made it would be crazy for it not to have been with his blessing, since it would have no weight behind it otherwise.

And I've said several times I don't think he should be sacked and they need to move on.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes it is excellent. Don't know how the guy that runs it does it. I've asked questions before and you get really helpful replies really quickly.
    Thanks to Andy_JS - have bookmarked.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

No 10 refuses to say whether Rishi Sunak has confidence in Lindsay Hoyle as Commons speaker

https://x.com/KevinASchofield/status/1760636088010289312?s=20

Presumably Sunak is trying to decide what his best option is, before choosing the opposite.

The obvious answer is for the PM (and the government) to rise above the issue, get on with the job and paint this as all as silly opposition squabbles. Why they don't do that is bizarre to me.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I was watching PMQs and then the subsequent extraordinary delaying tactics by Labour mps with points of order whilst Starmer was with Hoyle

Starmer has just admitted on Sky he had the discussion with Hoyle
    Yes, we know. Having a discussion with Hoyle is fine is - as stated - it was to plead for a broad vote to protect the safety of MPs. Starmer and Hoyle both say the same. Only the tittle-tattle put about yesterday disagreed, and so far hasn't been substantiated.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,720

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:
    I'd go.

I've never been that far north and it'd be a great excuse to ride the amazingly scenic Far North Line.

Really tempting to take Friday off and just disappear tonight and catch the sleep train to Inverness. I'd be there by lunchtime tomorrow.

Trouble is the Caledonian sells out well in advance, and I'm not sure my wife would welcome me abandoning her with two young kids all weekend.
    When I was 17 my dad saved tokens from Sainsburys and bought cheap ba tickets from Gatwick to Inverness. We spent the weekend touring the north coast to Skye and flew back from Glasgow.

Worth it!
    Amazing!

Expensive though.
    Ha. I’ve just done it and several other lines. Took the Caledonian Sleeper to Inverness ten days ago and it was wonderful. Coming over the Drumochter Pass when there was still snow was magical.

Then last Friday I took the Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh line which is absolutely stunning. I was lucky with the weather. Just breathtakingly beautiful.

On Sunday I took the West Highland line from Fort William to Glasgow which … well the superlatives simply roll on and on.

I took the Caledonian Sleeper to FW not long ago too and if anything that was even lovelier, although FW doesn’t compare as a town to the city of Inverness.

Three of the world’s most scenic railway journeys right there, right here, on our doorstep.

xx

Incredibly the DK Guide to Scotland barely mentions that line or the other three I’ve mentioned. All of which would get a double page spread if they were anywhere else on the planet. Utterly bizarre.

The West Highland Line has several times been voted the most beautiful railway journey in the world.

Thoroughly recommend these routes. There’s something quite magical about sleeping out of Euston, or indeed hitting on board bar @Leon ;) and waking up to sunrise in the Highlands.
    One of my favourite things about the Inverness Kyle line is that there’s a station called “Muir of Ord”

I’ve been on that line a couple of times and I always faintly hope that the station - being so remote - is literally named after one guy, Muir, from Ord, who stands there in the middle of the forest and occasionally gets on the train

To those who complain about the Caledonian Sleeper being pricey, well … maybe … but ...

For c. £200 Club Class you're getting a night’s accommodation with breakfast + the travel itself in some style + the views

I had a solid 7 hours’ sleep with lovely sheets and duvet. Took my shower in my room. Was served my proper coffee and Scottish porridge and watched a snowy sunrise over the Cairngorms, to arrive in beautiful Inverness. A while back on the other side I woke in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs in time for the climb up across stunning Rannoch Moor.

I had to go to Aberdeen for the RSS Conference. I wanted to go by Caledonian Sleeper but it sold out the week I went to the travel agent. I went by plane instead. It wasn't as nice. The faff involved in front door to taxi to airport to flight to airport to taxi to hotel is not good. I hate trains but sleepers look much more fun and yes, 200 pounds would have been worth it.

😶

I get that an early morning commute from Stockport to Walsall might not be as romantic as the trans Siberian but still - trains!
    Agree. I find I get bored driving after about 100 miles, particularly if on a motorway and I hate the hassle of flying. I have done 2 trips around Italy by train and 1 across Portugal and my regular French cycle trip involves a lot of trains (10 for the last trip) to get to/from our start/end points. They are all really enjoyable and the European trains tend to be on time and very cheap.
    French trains are great. They all gripe about the TER but compared to Northern Rail at its worst they’re almost flawless.

Japan: excellent - clean, punctual, quick. System runs like clockwork. Including when it goes wrong, when then it all grinds to a halt. Good value.

Switzerland: very good. Also clean and punctual. But: can be horribly expensive; also, punctual because they're frequently slow.

France: better than Switzerland. Proper 21st century railway (despite 19th/20th century infrastructure). Let down only by iffy stations.

Germany: not nearly as good as you'd expect; frequent delays. Good quality though.

Russia: Excellent, if slow. Everything works. Probably because it dare not do otherwise.

General rule: always go with the cheap option - you meet more normal people that way. (The exception is if travelling overnight, in which case upgrade as far as you can)
    Great summary thanks, although honestly, if I was the sort of person who wanted to meet 'normal people' is it likely I'd be posting on PB?
  • Options
    So why did the Speaker not allow the Lib Dem amendment yesterday if he wanted to have to widest debate possible?

Perhaps they did not threaten him.
  • Options

SNP leader, Stephen Flynn, on Sky says Lindsay Hoyle no longer has the confidence of SNP mps

That's OK. How many people have confidence in the SNP to contribute meaningfully at Westminster?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007

Guardian

I suspect the GOP people vote the way they do because it’s what they wish to do - the threats just give them cover to do so.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,658

Leon said:

OnboardG1 said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:
    I'd go.

Worth it!
    Amazing!

Expensive though.

xx

😶

I found Italy very punctual as well. The guards seem to use a stop watch before releasing the train.

Portugal is very good as well.
  • Options

Guardian

Really?

Jeez.

It's not helped by partisanship: for instance people who complain that Diane Abbott was the most abused MP. When the study was for female MPs, and the abuse of male MPs was, apparently, unimportant.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/sep/05/diane-abbott-more-abused-than-any-other-mps-during-election

(Note the URL compared to the actual headline, which was altered., but people *still* refer to it..)
  • Options

nico679 said:

He has been very fair during his time as Speaker . Because of what’s happened he would likely have gone that extra mile in the future. The SNP should accept the apology instead of just looking vindictive and unwilling to accept an earnest apology .
  • Options

So why did the Speaker not allow the Lib Dem amendment yesterday if he wanted to have to widest debate possible?

Time
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

I think it's a pretty bad look for the SNP/Tories to force the Speaker to resign. Both are parties projected to lose seats at the next GE - regardless of the facts, it just makes them look like sore losers.

But the Speaker really, really fu**ed up last night. And it was an unforced error.

He will not be accused of being Starmer's fan, however fair or unfair that might be.

More importantly IMV, he potentially placed non-Labour MPs in increased danger, not less.
    I've spent an hour looking into it and barely have a grasp of what is going on.

To most people it's just going to look like stupid Westminster bubble bollocks. And it's even worse for the Tories, who now find themselves siding with the SNP!

If Hoyle resigns then the agitation for a GE will only grow. This feels like the clogged Brexit parliament now.
    That's good, as I want another GE ASAP. ;)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,099
    Is it not a bit weak of Starmer to use threats against MPs as a way of putting pressure on Hoyle, but not speaking out publicly against the threats?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892

Roger said:

Chilling.....

Clown
  • Options
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

He has been very fair during his time as Speaker . Because of what’s happened he would likely have gone that extra mile in the future. The SNP should accept the apology instead of just looking vindictive and unwilling to accept an earnest apology .
    They've lost 1/3 of their opposition days per year. Is that being reinstated?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Now you've restarted the trans debate.
    Puberty, surely? Starmer's balls finally dropped, whilst the speaker dropped a bollock...
  • Options

Guardian

Really?

Jeez.

I suspect the problem is that if your prosecute every threat people would go to ground and the serious threats would appear from “nowhere”.
  • Options

You make Starmer sound like Lyndon Johnson. Come on.
  • Options
    I think there's always been an element of snobbery wrt Lindsay Hoyle, probably mainly because of his accent.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892

Roger said:

Chilling.....

I don’t think she’d change her mind because of a Westminster parliamentary motion.
    True
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941
    edited February 22
    I note almost every centrist Dad here is fine with what Starmer and Hoyle have done :p
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,897

148grss said:

kle4 said:

148grss said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges

The level of threats and abuse around what is going on in Palestine is egregious.

Azerbaijan recently ethnically cleansed Nagorno-Karabakh, but basically no-one in the UK even raised an eyebrow. Large numbers of people have died or been displaced in fighting in Yemen, Sudan and Myanmar, but you see little reporting on any of this. Ditto the ongoing conflict in Syria. No MP has been made to feel unsafe over any of these.

What is happening in Gaza, and Israel/Palestine more broadly, is horrendous and I'm all for people in the UK paying attention to these events, and campaigning for a better way. However, the level of outrage around Palestine is now, and has for some years, been so much greater than other tragedies. This is because parts of the Left have made Palestine a cause célèbre. This had led to a level of protest that leaves politicians and communities feeling threatened. This is not a good thing. This has done nothing to actually improve the situation in Israel/Palestine.
    Good post. Passion for and interest in other matters is a good thing. But the level of it on this specific issue is outsized.
    Makes you wonder.

Heard a story that an MP who has a personal protective weapon (from association with NI) got close to using it when threatened with a knife.

What would @148grss make of an MP doing the Mozambique Drill on a constituent?

EDIT: How long before MPs not involved in Northern Ireland start asking for personal protective weapons?
    Of course people have the right to self defence - although carrying a weapon for self defence is illegal in this country, and I don't see why MPs should be placed above other people who are also dealing with the public.
    Carrying a firearm for self defence is specifically allowed, in law, at the discretion of the Home Secretary. Further, such weapons are actually provided by the state. As is range time and training.

The reason, usually, is a significant threat to life. Quite a few politicians in Northern Ireland carry.

The Shinners whinned, a while back, that their PPWs were a bit old, and not cool. They wanted SIGs.

The number of actual murders of MPs and assaults on same is getting to a level - at what point can you make a legitimate argument that your life is at specific risk?
    Gun Jesus provides..

"...Thanks for tuning in to another video on ForgottenWeapons.com. I'm Ian McCollum, and this is in fact a British L66A1 pistol. Which is in fact a Walther PP in calibre .22 Long Rifle purchased directly from Walther. In 1974 the British government purchased about 3,000, maybe 3,200, of these pistols specifically to issue them out as personal defence weapons to the Ulster Defence Regiment. These guys were of course stationed up in Northern Ireland. It was a dangerous place to be for obvious reasons. And while they had rifles and regular small arms available on duty, a lot of these guys did not have arms available off duty. And that is the purpose of the L66.

It was actually issued out as a personal protective weapon, something that you could in fact conceal carry. Guys who did this would get a military permit card saying that they were authorised to carry it. And I've seen accounts from a number of veterans of the period who said that they were issued these out, and they appreciated having them from time to time. So let's take a closer look, because there are a few distinct things that differentiate this from any other commercial Walther..."

"British L66A1: A Pistol for Northern Ireland", Ian McCollum/Forgotten Weapons, 18 Nov 2020, YouTube, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isej7X4CHjE
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I note almost every centrist Dad here is fine with what Starmer and Hoyle have done :p

This one isn't, becasue it affects every party which isn't in government (and all of them in times of coalition).
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Labour should offer one of their days as a gesture of goodwill . The Speaker has already offered an emergency debate and why aren’t the SNP moaning about the Tory tactics , because they pulled their amendment the SNP ended up without a vote .

Regardless the SNP and Tories bringing down the Speaker is a very poor look .
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

This one isn't, becasue it affects every party which isn't in government (and all of them in times of coalition).
    Equally I’m not happy but can’t see how a shitstorm could be avoided given the threats that have been reported
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862
    Andy_JS said:

I think there's always been an element of snobbery wrt Lindsay Hoyle, probably mainly because of his accent.

There hasn’t been a proper patrician Speaker since 1992. Or perhaps even 1965.
  • Options
    Irregular verb noted:

I simply urge
    You threaten
    He considers the safety of MPs.
  • Options
    Starmer Soprano ruthless Mafia boss threatening to stick a horses head in Hoyles bed ! Or the spineless gimp Sunak !
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I’m not terribly happy about it.
    But not excited about the alternative, either.
  • Options
    We should not allow a violent mob to dictate parliamentary procedure.

But it also behoves MPs not to play political games around such explosive issues.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,791
    Pulpstar said:

My general reaction when Erskine May needs to be referred to is despair and despondence about how badly our elected representatives behave. My specific reaction here not particularly different. As far as I can tell Starmer was pushing his luck, Hoyle maybe wrong call and definitely poor communication, then the SNP and Tories threw toys out of pram. Not going to make me look favourably on any of them.
  • Options
    edited February 22
    The truth is of course all this is unimportant in the grander scheme.

On that note, I'm guessing Israel doesn't really give a hoot about the PR of all this now. Some of the stuff coming out the Knesset is utterly bonkers.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Breaking News A fertilized egg is a child
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Starmer Soprano ruthless Mafia boss threatening to stick a horses head in Hoyles bed ! Or the spineless gimp Sunak !

When the root cause of yesterday's debacle was violence to mps not sure your choice of words are appropriate
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

My general reaction when Erskine May needs to be referred to is despair and despondence about how badly our elected representatives behave. My specific reaction here not particularly different. As far as I can tell Starmer was pushing his luck, Hoyle maybe wrong call and definitely poor communication, then the SNP and Tories threw toys out of pram. Not going to make me look favourably on any of them.
    Both SNP and the Tories were playing point scoring games while the issue has degenerated into one where violence was likely.

So I have zero sympathy with anyone
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,817
    edited February 22
    I'm with Labour on this one.

The threats made to MPs, at root are the most unacceptable thing here, but if one way of protecting MPs against those unacceptable threats is to have the widest debate, then that is something that should be done.

I think those saying the speaker should have consulted more widely before making his decision have a point, but I think the broad
    brush of the decision made was correct here.

The SNP and the Conservative front bench here should take care that they are not seen to be standing against measures that assist the safety of MPs. Mordaunt's performance at the despatch box, in particular, was shameful. They should talk with the speaker and seek to de-escalate not escalate.

If I put myself in the shoes of an MP, I'd have wanted to vote for a ceasefire but would have had difficulty supporting the SNP's wording and having the options available to be able to do that would be essential.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Carnyx said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Labour should offer one of their days as a gesture of goodwill . The Speaker has already offered an emergency debate and why aren’t the SNP moaning about the Tory tactics , because they pulled their amendment the SNP ended up without a vote .

Regardless the SNP and Tories bringing down the Speaker is a very poor look .
    I'd thought the debate was on the procedural issue and I see Graun had to check themselvesd - just posted on their feed it's about the conflict or rather the one outside Westmister. Still, it's not what the SNP have a right to normally, and they should be given that.
  • Options
    If we set all of the partisan bickering aside, did parliament not achieve yesterday what (supposedly) all parties wanted? It debated and passed a motion calling for a ceasefire.

What else matters? Israel and Hamas will ignore it anyway.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

There is definitely some dissonance in the Tory criticism of Starmer. Do they want the public to believe he is a weak flip flopper who will be manipulated by the left and the SNP or is he a ruthless authoritarian who will do anything to get his way?

The combination of both just doesn't sound particularly plausible.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

The threats made to MPs, at root are the most unacceptable thing here, but if one way of protecting MPs against those unacceptable threats is to have the widest debate, then that is something that should be done.

I think those saying the speaker should have consulted more widely before making his decision have a point, but I think the broad

The SNP and the Conservative front bench here should take care that they are not seen to be standing against measures that assist the safety of MPs. Mordaunt's performance at the despatch box, in particular, was shameful. They should talk with the speaker and seek to de-escalate not escalate.

If I put myself in the shoes of an MP, I'd have wanted to vote for a ceasefire but would have had difficulty supporting the SNP's wording and having the options available to be able to do that would be essential.

Why wasn't that brought up and discussed with all parties well in advance (as others have queried)? That's a non-partisan issue affecting par;liamentary business. It is a serious one and needs to be done properly.

It's not something that SKS should be allowed to use in a partisan situation to get himself out of a tight spot.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Mordaunt is actually supportive of the Speaker
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Bearing in mind that David Amess and Jo Cox were killed and other like Timms have nearly died, MPs safety needs to be taken very seriously. It's not a subject for party games.

Can you imagine working in a place where two colleagues were murdered for doing their job?

Have a listen to Lucy Powell's post farce speech.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

But isn't the problem here that Erskine May was looked into and then wilfully ignored?
  • Options

If we set all of the partisan bickering aside, did parliament not achieve yesterday what (supposedly) all parties wanted? It debated and passed a motion calling for a ceasefire.

Conclusion: there are people who value partisan bickering more than they value calling for a ceasefire.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Pro_Rata said:

Labour should have used one of their opposition days to put their motion

Not hijack SNP's one by threatening the Speaker
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

But isn't the problem here that Erskine May was looked into and then wilfully ignored?
    I shall leave that for the subject experts, which is definitely not me.
  • Options

Conclusion: there are people who value partisan bickering more than they value calling for a ceasefire.
    The ceasefire calls are for domestic party political reasons rather than international diplomacy anyway so swings and roundabouts.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

Mordaunt is actually supportive of the Speaker
    She needs to stfu with the outrage . The Tories pulling their amendment was a big part of the problem . Now she’s trying to score political points .
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

Yep, 4 opportunities for Labour to lay motions nixxing the SNP's obvious tactic post October 17th:

05/12/2023, 09/01/2024, 23/01/2024, 06/02/2024 could have done it on any one of those days.

• Options

Pro_Rata said:

How could they bump their day before the SNP one?

Great idea shame about the fundamental flaw in your argument
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

The Clerk prsetty much said so? But like you IANAE.
  • Options

There are people (the SNP) who seem happy for violence to occur to score political points for lols
  • Options
    sbjme19sbjme19 Posts: 132
    Pro_Rata said:

Agreed re Mordaunt totally partisan and hypocritical, real playing to the gallery.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

The Clerk prsetty much said so? But like you IANAE.
    Clerk says it’s impossible - Labour says without it we have reason (see the attached documents) that this will lead to attacks and possibly another mirder.

What would you do in those circumstances - follow the clerk or do something else?
This discussion has been closed.