Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Not the performance of a government that is going to be re-elected – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

Is blackmail a positive trait for a future PM?

Blackmail is a racist term, you should know better.

I prefer to call it incentive based decision making.
  • Options

You supporting Lammy now?

Oh sorry.. blackmail
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,000
    Peston should be fun tonight - you can stream it from his Twitter feed at 9pm if you don’t want to stay up for the ITV broadcast
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,991

Is it a good move to undermine the role of Speaker? The experience of the USA suggests not.
  • Options

stodge said:

Oh.

Multiple Tory MPs say Penny Mordaunt pulled tonight's amendment because govt did not have votes to support Israel 'humanitarian pause' motion.

Rumour is that too many Tories had told Whips they were minded to back the Labour motion in favour of full fat ceasefire...

https://twitter.com/NatashaC/status/1760402023294415113

A brilliant day for Labour.

Instead of looking like a divided party, it looks united and the Conservatives now look split and divided on the issue.
    ...and the SNP now appear to be colluding with the Tories. Perfect day for Starmer.
    A quiet few beers and perhaps a cheeky korma for SKS and team this evening
  • Options
    How many points have Liverpool scored this season from losing positions?

I wonder what the record is for that particular statistic? Must be a reasonable chance Liverpool break that record this season at this rate.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,189
    AlsoLei said:

Taz said:

I'd really like to meet the Man on the Clapham Omnibus.

Trouble is, these days he'd probably be a hipster plugged in with Apple pods listening to some godawful rubbish and would talk a stream of shite if you ever got chatting to him.

Or, these days, the hipster is more likely to dispense with the iPods and play it loudly on the bus and share the drivel with everyone else. Innit.
    Have either of you actually been on the 88 recently, or is this just ill-informed chuntering?

I take it a few times a month, and haven't heard much godawful rubbish - and nor have I see anyone with an ipod (how retro!).

Mostly it's older people with some shopping, last week there were more teenagers (half term?). The two boys who sat in front of me had a discussion about whether a new bus stop was positioned in a sensible spot, and then started talking about driverless cars. They could almost have been PBers...
    No, I live in the North East. I assumed the Clapham omnibus was merely a reference for public transport and this relatively modern phenomenon.

I Use public transport and have had the pleasure, from time to time, of other people sharing their music with me. Mind you people also do this when walking or cycling. Myself included. When I leave the house at 7 to cycle in I have Hotel California playing as I set off. Class.

I saw Shelagh Fogerty, used to be on the wireless for the BBC, grumbling bout it today on twitter with regards to her train home. She seemed more troubled by it than many people.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,285

X

Scott_xP said:

@kiranstacey

EXC: Up to 100 Labour MPs were ready to rebel on Wednesday if they didn’t get a vote on their amendment, including two shadow cabinet ministers.

@aljwhite

This is really the end result of the day: it simply couldn’t have gone better for Starmer given the very very difficult position he faced

Tell us again how bad this guy is at his job???

He's set a quite a precedent by bullying the Speaker into ignoring parliamentary procedure. If the (senior Lab MP) claims that he sent his heavy Sue in to threaten Hoyle's position are unfounded, it's probably worse. He's then basically bullied by proxy for islamists

Great short term result though..
    Well everything at the moment is seen through the “isn’t SKS great?” lens, so everyone is spinning it as an excellent tactical victory. When his government is on the ropes it would be seen as probably a very different outcome, but hey ho.

I still maintain no one comes out of today particularly well.
    I agree. Starmer has avoided what might have been a tactical defeat, but whether the strategic outcome goes for or against remains to be seen. Disillusion with all politicians won’t go to Labour’s benefit.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,653

Is it a good move to undermine the role of Speaker? The experience of the USA suggests not.
    They are, despite having the same name, very different roles.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,871

Which way did SKS vote on the Ceasefire amendment?

There was no vote
    Exactly
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

I doubt either can realistically claim much credit. Do tell us about the detail.

Yes I accept in the round that's probably a fair rebuttal. Consider my partisanship on this noted and understood.

What would you like to know? The whole project itself is pretty cool and virtually unique in terms of what they are doing to get it working "down there". The majority of the Central Line is done, platforms having a lot of bands deployed, including the entire spectrum allocation for O2, EE, Vodafone, Three, so you can get some crazy good speeds on the platforms from the DAS, 700+ Mbps.

In tunnel they use a leaky feeder, split into two parts, one going to the platforms at either end, in there the MNOs have fewer bands deployed because they don't travel as well but you'll still get 200Mbps easily.

It's really incredible thus far where it's done. It's a shame it's been so delayed and has had so many issues, including interfering with the signalling so it got paused for some time. But it's progressing slowly now, with Piccadilly and Victoria Lines to come next.
    Very interesting. It sounds like there's work there, that, as an expert, you're proud of.

Everyone wants that.

'Shame', 'Progressing slowly' ... etc. What's going wrong there?

I walk past the statue of Brunel on Paddington station quite frequently - I never pass it without a thought in his direction.
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

I doubt either can realistically claim much credit. Do tell us about the detail.

Yes I accept in the round that's probably a fair rebuttal. Consider my partisanship on this noted and understood.

What would you like to know? The whole project itself is pretty cool and virtually unique in terms of what they are doing to get it working "down there". The majority of the Central Line is done, platforms having a lot of bands deployed, including the entire spectrum allocation for O2, EE, Vodafone, Three, so you can get some crazy good speeds on the platforms from the DAS, 700+ Mbps.

In tunnel they use a leaky feeder, split into two parts, one going to the platforms at either end, in there the MNOs have fewer bands deployed because they don't travel as well but you'll still get 200Mbps easily.

It's really incredible thus far where it's done. It's a shame it's been so delayed and has had so many issues, including interfering with the signalling so it got paused for some time. But it's progressing slowly now, with Piccadilly and Victoria Lines to come next.
    Very interesting. It sounds like there's work there, that, as an expert, you're proud of.

Everyone wants that.

I walk past the statue of Brunel on Paddington station quite frequently - I never pass it without a thought in his direction.
    Brunel is, in many ways, a harbinger of much that goes wrong in this country.

Unique, pointless “solutions” that fail - the broad gauge, atmospheric railway and giant underpowered steamships

Autocratic management, terrible industrial relations and an inability to work with others.

Complete nonsense. If you have the slightest understanding of engineering then you'd see him as a genius. The rest is nonsense too - there may be some mix up with his father. But, really, compete nonsense.
    The broad gauge was completely unnecessary - the engineering reasons behind the idea were wrong. Which is why no one else built 7 foot track.

The atmospheric railway was a predicted failure - x miles of leather exposed to the weather being banged around by the valve passing through at 40mph+

The steamships - especially the Great Eastern - were underpowered for their size. Which is why it was only after triple expansion came in that giant steamships worked.

He was, politically, a mad reactionary and his idea of industrial relations was feudalism, pretty much.

He was a great engineer in some ways, but his failings were huge.

Shall we talk about his insane locomotive designs for GWR? he was rescued by Gooch, otherwise the whole railway might have failed.
    Broad gauge - I think it's clear (in hindsight) that a broader gauge than we have would be better.

Atmospheric railway - visionary, surely.

Ships - again visionary,

Locomotives - you're completely right that his designs were poor. He didn't persist with them.
    On gauge - note that even for single purpose high speed lines, no one moved from the standard(s). The engineering reasons turned out to be wrong.

Visionary is all very well, but ignoring the practicalities until your shareholders lose their shirts….
    Nobody chose an alternative gauge because of the disadvantage of non-interchangeability. There was a third rail for a while on some lines.

Tunnels etc were a big factor too.

Brunel has a nice statue - pride of place in Paddington. Hard to see him in his contemporaries eyes as other than a success.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,189

It’s also a gendered term which is not helpful in the modern environment. 😢
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited February 21
    IanB2 said:

Interesting from the Guardian that the civil servant at the centre of the Staunton controversy rejects his claims

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/feb/21/post-office-scandal-civil-servant-rejects-claims-she-asked-to-slow-compensation?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Well, they would, wouldn’t they….
    That article also says that separately the Guardian has been leaked a recording of remarks made by the Post Office Deputy, CEO, Owen Woodley at a monthly town hall meeting for staff on Wednesday

In the recording Woodley referred to Staunton's claims in his interview with the Sunday Times as 'just wrong' and said that 'he should have resigned if he was told to delay compensation payments ' because that would have been outrageous

Woodley told post office staff 'many of the things that Staunton was talking about in that interview and the way he was putting things across, was wrong, its just wrong, and I don't not know why he chose to do that but that is what he did and he will account for why he chose to do that

He added ' none of us are aware of a single moment when we were asked to slow down compensation to post office operators, not once. There is no evidence of that at all
  • Options

2-1 Liverpool

How many Everton fans just quietly cheered those two goals?
    Not just Everton fans I can assure you!
    Which raises the question - which team's fans hate Luton and vice versa?
    MK Dons? Watford? - only ones I can think of nearby.
  • Options

2-1 Liverpool

Watford, I would think.
  • Options

There was no vote
    Exactly
    I believe technically there was a vote and it was unanimously Aye. A unanimous vote can be a vote for either Aye or Nay, so its still a vote.

There was no division, that's a different thing.
  • Options

stodge said:

Oh.

Multiple Tory MPs say Penny Mordaunt pulled tonight's amendment because govt did not have votes to support Israel 'humanitarian pause' motion.

Rumour is that too many Tories had told Whips they were minded to back the Labour motion in favour of full fat ceasefire...

Instead of looking like a divided party, it looks united and the Conservatives now look split and divided on the issue.
    ...and the SNP now appear to be colluding with the Tories. Perfect day for Starmer.
    In the horses head
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,841
    edited February 21
    What a shambles . Ridiculous theatrics by the Tories to walk out . The SNP were understandably pissed off that their attempts to cause drama in Labour imploded .

The sum total Starmer avoided a rebellion and the Speaker is likely to resign .
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,285
    edited February 21

IanB2 said:

Interesting from the Guardian that the civil servant at the centre of the Staunton controversy rejects his claims

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/feb/21/post-office-scandal-civil-servant-rejects-claims-she-asked-to-slow-compensation?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Well, they would, wouldn’t they….
    That article also says that separately the Guardian has been leaked a recording of remarks made by the Post Office Deputy, CEO, Owen Woodley at a monthly town hall meeting for staff on Wednesday

In the recording Woodley referred to Staunton's claims in his interview with the Sunday Times as 'just wrong' and said that 'he should have resigned if he was told to delay compensation payments ' because that would have been outrageous

Woodley told post office staff 'many of the things that Staunton was talking about in that interview and the way he was putting things across, was wrong, its just wrong, and I don't not know why he chose to do that but that is what he did and he will account for why he chose to do that

He added ' none of us are aware of a single moment when we were asked to slow down compensation to post office operators, not once. There is no evidence of that at all
    It’s certainly true that the Post Office didn’t really need telling to do anything slowly.

Nevertheless, Staunton is clearly an intelligent and experienced business guy, clued up enough to file memos to self about the conversations he had with government, and he couldn’t have known the circumstances in which he might need them. I’d expect he’s slanted his recollections to suit his current position, but would be very surprised if he had made the whole thing up.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202

2-1 Liverpool

Watford, I would think.
    Yes, definitely Watford. I once attended the Luton Watford derby and it was fierce, with a lot of police.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977

2-1 Liverpool

Conflicted I must admit.
  • Options

Why would I think a bridge with trees and plants on it is woke?

Because everything is woke nowadays.
    I seem to remember that blue top milk is woke these days - that news reached me today
    Considering how blue top milk is real milk, I'd like to see the logic on that one.

I'd have thought soy "milk" would be considered woke if anything.
    "There was me, that is Alexander Boris de Pfeffel, and my three droogs, that is Priti, Govie, and Dom, and we sat in the Kensington Milkbar trying to make up our Raab-oodocks what to do with the evening. The Kensington Milkbar sold Milk-plus, milk plus Corn Syrup or GM Soya or Chlorinated Chicken, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up, and make you ready for a bit of the old No-Deal Brexit."
  • Options
    Fun fact, if Liverpool beat Southampton next Wednesday in the FA Cup then the Merseyside derby scheduled for the middle of March will have to be rescheduled, and given the way Liverpool are likely to progress in the Europa League then it is very likely that Everton v Liverpool will be rescheduled for the final midweek of the season, so a Merseyside derby could determine the title and Everton's relegation.

What a match that would be 4 days before the end of the season.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,757

Why would I think a bridge with trees and plants on it is woke?

Because everything is woke nowadays.
    I seem to remember that blue top milk is woke these days - that news reached me today
    Considering how blue top milk is real milk, I'd like to see the logic on that one.

I'd have thought soy "milk" would be considered woke if anything.
    "There was me, that is Alexander Boris de Pfeffel, and my three droogs, that is Priti, Govie, and Dom, and we sat in the Kensington Milkbar trying to make up our Raab-oodocks what to do with the evening. The Kensington Milkbar sold Milk-plus, milk plus Corn Syrup or GM Soya or Chlorinated Chicken, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up, and make you ready for a bit of the old No-Deal Brexit."
    Horrorshow (in the nicest possible sense of the word).
  • Options
    So who's up for the big Welsh Labour debate then?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,791
    Taz said:

It's not. You're performing cultural appropriation and takeover on the good old Scots and Northern English word mail (= payment).
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

Fun fact, if Liverpool beat Southampton next Wednesday in the FA Cup then the Merseyside derby scheduled for the middle of March will have to be rescheduled, and given the way Liverpool are likely to progress in the Europa League then it is very likely that Everton v Liverpool will be rescheduled for the final midweek of the season, so a Merseyside derby could determine the title and Everton's relegation.

Still playing for Klopp, it seems, despite him being in the departure lounge. I thought there might be a drop off but not the case. Least not yet.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,267

Do I detect a trace of sarcasm?
  • Options
    edited February 21

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Everyone wants that.

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Everyone wants that.

Unique, pointless “solutions” that fail - the broad gauge, atmospheric railway and giant underpowered steamships

Autocratic management, terrible industrial relations and an inability to work with others.

Complete nonsense. If you have the slightest understanding of engineering then you'd see him as a genius. The rest is nonsense too - there may be some mix up with his father. But, really, compete nonsense.
    I was having a conversation about giant, ocean going steam ships yesterday and how they worked.

Presumably they consumed an awful lot of water in the engine

Presumably they did not carry all that water and it came from the ocean, full of salt

Presumably that salt would ruin the engines in no time whatsoever

So how did it work ?
    They pumped out the boilers now and then, and put fresh seawater in (sometimes a little of each often). Still, the salt and minerals tended to accumulate and screw up the heat transfer, so had to he cleaned out now and then.

Later on they distilled their own fresh water for the boilers. Edit: also condensed the steam from the propulsion cycle.
  • Options
    edited February 21

Nobody.

Or to be exact - two nobodies.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429
    Carnyx said:

Taz said:

It's not. You're performing cultural appropriation and takeover on the good old Scots and Northern English word mail (= payment).
    Not to mention pejorative attitudes towards cross border, community based, informal taxation systems.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    FPT: @pm215
    pm215 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Who is making our Trident missiles? Is it Boeing?

"Boeing 757-200 Diverted From Route After Suffering Damage To One Of Its Wings"

https://x.com/zerohedge/status/1760302382905237815?s=20

Jeez. It sounds like the wing simply.... fell apart

????

Is it wise of us to have a nuclear deterrent that is dependent upon another country? Is it in the US's interest for us to have a functioning system or would it be better that we didn't so we'd then be more reliant on Uncle Sam?
    Personally, I have always felt we should have gone the French route, and developed our own truly indy deterrent. Expensive, but ultimately worth it

Instead we have ended up with a deterrent wholly dependent on the goodwill of an ally, who might be minded to tell us to fuck off, and now it seems it possibly doesn't work?

We should be urgently looking into the development of an entirely UK deterrent. Perhaps we could unite with Australia, as part of AUKUS, I dunno. They must fancy having a deterrent with China looming...

I agree, with the added thought that we should just abandon the strategic nuclear deterrent and invest in far cheaper tactical nuclear weapons, with various payloads and delivery systems, such as by air. These are independent, and are way scarier to dodgy dictators and bad regimes than a doomsday weapon that we'd only ever use when we've been obliterated in a nuclear strike, and then probably wouldn't work anyway.
    How many dodgy regimes would believe we'd use even a tactical nuke? I certainly don't...
    The point about tactical nukes is that you don't know whether someone will use them. You know that nobody is going to use Trident, which is a doomsday weapon. If you were Putin, would you be more scared to mount an invasion of the UK if we had Trident, or an undisclosed number of tactical nukes that could be deployed via a variety of methods, sea-borne, air-borne, etc.? We wouldn't use Trident against an invasion; it can only be used when the UK is a smouldering pile of irradiated ash. You could certainly use tactical nukes to destroy the invading Russian fleet in the port if you told them to bugger off and they weren't listening.
  • Options
    There’s a broader issue that needs to be addressed with Hoylegate. We’ve now reached the point where the threat of physical intimidation of MPs is starting to have an impact on the workings of the House of Commons. And we can’t have that. Again, someone has to draw a line.
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1760388136381636904

Dan Hodges tweets, although tbh I'm not really sure what he is saying although I agree with him in a yes it's deplorable but what's the next step? kind of way.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nobody.

Don't you live in Wales?

As a frequent visitor I'm mainly hoping that they'll at least consider backtracking on the 20mph nonsense (or at least think about it)?
  • Options

There’s a broader issue that needs to be addressed with Hoylegate. We’ve now reached the point where the threat of physical intimidation of MPs is starting to have an impact on the workings of the House of Commons. And we can’t have that. Again, someone has to draw a line.

Dan Hodges tweets, although tbh I'm not really sure what he is saying although I agree with him in a yes it's deplorable but what's the next step? kind of way.

Anyone who intimidates an MP in any way whatsoever including asking them if they think Starmer is a good leader to be forced to listen to Donald Trump's speeches on a loop for 72 hours.

Survivors will then be given a free pardon and told not to do it again.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Everyone wants that.

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Everyone wants that.

I was having a conversation about giant, ocean going steam ships yesterday and how they worked.

Presumably they consumed an awful lot of water in the engine

Presumably they did not carry all that water and it came from the ocean, full of salt

Presumably that salt would ruin the engines in no time whatsoever

So how did it work ?
    They pumped out the boilers now and then, and put fresh seawater in (sometimes a little of each often). Still, the salt and minerals tended to accumulate and screw up the heat transfer, so had to he cleaned out now and then.

Later on they distilled their own fresh water for the boilers. Edit: also condensed the steam from the propulsion cycle.
    Sea water boilers were fun all right.

By the end of the steam age, the high pressures meant they ran on extremely pure water. High pressure and temperature water is extremely corrosive if not very very pure.

One of the reasons that the big American carriers are useful in disaster relief is their enormous water distilling capacity
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Nobody.

Don't you live in Wales?

As a frequent visitor I'm mainly hoping that they'll at least consider backtracking on the 20mph nonsense (or at least think about it)?
    I used to, not any more.

20mph nonsense has been hailed as a big success because everyone's ignoring it but not by quite as much as expected.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-68348709

Meanwhile, the minister concerned, Lee Waters (whom I keep confusing with Lee Anderson) bleats that people saying he should have actually done more consulting and given more thought to the issues a blanket 20mph would cause is being unfair because reasons.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

There was no vote
    Exactly
    I believe technically there was a vote and it was unanimously Aye. A unanimous vote can be a vote for either Aye or Nay, so its still a vote.

There was no division, that's a different thing.
    I definitely heard "Noes" on the TV. Was a bit surprised when no division was called. Winterton seemed reluctant to countenance a division when she put the question tbh...
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Nobody.

Don't you live in Wales?

I used to, not any more.

20mph nonsense has been hailed as a big success because everyone's ignoring it but not by quite as much as expected.

Meanwhile, the minister concerned, Lee Waters (whom I keep confusing with Lee Anderson) bleats that people saying he should have actually done more consulting and given more thought to the issues a blanket 20mph would cause is being unfair because reasons.
    the 20mph rule cannot even be claimed to be "green" given it uses more fuel at that speed than at 30mph for the same distance.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

TSE...this must be the nerdiest, footie geekiest post on pbCOM ever. Fantastic. Have you taken an IQ test? It must be stratospherically high because only some with an IQ level of something over 200 could work this one out....
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Nobody.

Don't you live in Wales?

They have both agreed implementation of the 20mph rule was badly implemented and that a review across Wales with the local authorities will take place

It doesn't by the way mean they are not nobodies
  • Options
    The truth is, even if locals adhere to it the odds are English visitors, who must make up half of drivers, will very probably not follow it rigidly because they will simply forget what the limit is.

If they wanted to go down this route, it would have been better to abolish a default speed limit in urban areas and put signs all through showing what's been decided on.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,478
    edited February 21
    tyson said:

TSE...this must be the nerdiest, footie geekiest post on pbCOM ever. Fantastic. Have you taken an IQ test? It must be stratospherically high because only some with an IQ level of something over 200 could work this one out....
    I've had IQ tests, I am in the top 1%.

@tlg86 and I are rather obsessed with Premier League TV picks and fixtures, quite a few of us are aware of this possibility happening for a while.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2024/02/merseyside-derby-could-move-to-final-week-of-2023-24-premer-league-season/
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    edited February 21

General rule: Statements including the words 'something', 'someone' and 'somehow' rarely advance understanding.

The standard template from which to expand is a bit like this: 'X is wrong, someone should somehow do something'.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,141

stodge said:

Oh.

I seem to remember someone on this very site loudly berating KS for being useless and vacillating and weak on this issue. And yet, at the end of the day, the Labour amendment (that *someone* was briefing against to the press - a line swallowed by all and sundry) passes. Funny old world.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,123

Another new 'precedent'.
    Even if I largely think Westminster is a load of wank, I don't think putting the thumb on the scales of parliamentary procedure in the face of physical intimdation is a desirable precedent to set. Whoever thought that one up (was it Hoyle?) should get their jotters.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

stodge said:

Oh.

I seem to remember someone on this very site loudly berating KS for being useless and vacillating and weak on this issue. And yet, at the end of the day, the Labour amendment (that *someone* was briefing against to the press - a line swallowed by all and sundry) passes. Funny old world.
    SKS fans - please don't gloat.

Too much.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Nobody.

Don't you live in Wales?

I used to, not any more.

the 20mph rule cannot even be claimed to be "green" given it uses more fuel at that speed than at 30mph for the same distance.
    Nonsense. 20mph is more efficient simply because it reduces the amount of acceleration and deacceleration required during normal driving conditions.

And that's without taking into account the additional time you have to anticipate junctions, pedestrians, sheep etc
  • Options
    mwadams said:

stodge said:

Oh.

Don't misunderestimate a lawyer.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Mike Johnson invoked God in a GOP presentation on keeping the majority. It didn’t land well.
    https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2024/02/21/congress/johnsons-sermon-to-gop-retreagt-00142436
    ...The Louisiana Republican showed slides to the members of his Elected Leadership Committee (ELC) team in a bid to tout the party’s prospects of hanging onto its two-seat majority in November. Johnson, a devout Christian, attempted to rally the group by discussing moral decline in America — focusing on declining church membership and the nation’s shrinking religious identity, according to both people in the room.

The speaker contended that when one doesn’t have God in their life, the government or “state” will become their guide, referring back to Bible verses, both people said. They added that the approach fell flat among some in the room.

“I’m not at church,” one of the people said, describing Johnson’s presentation as “horrible.”..
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

The truth is, even if locals adhere to it the odds are English visitors, who must make up half of drivers, will very probably not follow it rigidly because they will simply forget what the limit is.

If they wanted to go down this route, it would have been better to abolish a default speed limit in urban areas and put signs all through showing what's been decided on.

Average speeds have dropped. The policy has, at the very least, been a partial success.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

Average speeds have dropped. The policy has, at the very least, been a partial success.
    If they have dropped but gone from being below the speed limit on average to being well above it on average, that is *not* a success. It brings speed limits into disrepute - and then where they *are* needed makes them less effective.

We come back to the point of the article you posted when we discussed this before - such things need to be brought in carefully, thoughtfully, over time and with full community engagement. Not imposed in a rush of blood as political manoeuvre by a bunch of drunks on the periphery of the country.
  • Options

mwadams said:

stodge said:

Oh.

"Lawyers are the only persons in whom ignorance of the law is not punished." – Jeremy Bentham
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

stodge said:

Oh.

Too much.
    Nobody comes out of today with any credit whatsoever

Collectively they have debased parliament and democracy

Today is a shameful day in our political history when you consider what was at stake
  • Options

2-1 Liverpool

2-1 Liverpool

2-1 Liverpool

Not hate but Everto
    ydoethur said:

We’ve had universal 20mph in north London for a while now. You get used to it, and come to prefer it.
  • Options
    This debate seems to have been an utter shitshow.

The SNP clearly brought the motion as a means to embarrass Labour. The Government motion wasn't greatly distinguishable from the Labour one. And the procedural wrangling obfuscated any useful debate on Gaza itself.

And Hoyle will probably survive.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/feb/21/commons-speaker-issues-apology-after-gaza-ceasefire-debate-descends-into-chaos
    ...One minister admitted: “We’re not as angry as we’re pretending.”..

Performative nonsense all round.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

What a shambles . Ridiculous theatrics by the Tories to walk out . The SNP were understandably pissed off that their attempts to cause drama in Labour imploded .

The sum total Starmer avoided a rebellion and the Speaker is likely to resign .

Labour wanted to avoid division within the party

They avoided a division on their amendment as well.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Nobody.

Don't you live in Wales?

I used to, not any more.

Nonsense. 20mph is more efficient simply because it reduces the amount of acceleration and deacceleration required during normal driving conditions.

And that's without taking into account the additional time you have to anticipate junctions, pedestrians, sheep etc
    And double parking bottlenecks. Makes for much smoother driving around me. Like zen for cars. I’m a convert.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    https://twitter.com/habibi_uk/status/1759529760605028592

'These people are very angry that Chi Onwurah MP has condemned Hamas. So they went to her office to bang on the door and shout for terrorists.

They first targeted her surgery. She cancelled it.

If you don’t stand up to the enemies of democracy, it will only get worse'
  • Options

2-1 Liverpool

2-1 Liverpool

2-1 Liverpool

Not hate but Everto
    ydoethur said:

We’ve had universal 20mph in north London for a while now. You get used to it, and come to prefer it.
    Wales is not a City and to compare it with it is a total misunderstanding of our Country
  • Options

mwadams said:

stodge said:

Oh.

"You know your in trouble when your told to stop slouching.

By the hunchback of Notre Dame"

- Rochdale MP to be February 2024
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,627

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

stodge said:

Oh.

Too much.

Today is a shameful day in our political history when you consider what was at stake
    Parliament debased by allowing MPs to vote on an amendment.

Isn't that democracy in action?
  • Options

'These people are very angry that Chi Onwurah MP has condemned Hamas. So they went to her office to bang on the door and shout for terrorists.

WTF
    Who doesn't condemn Hamas ?

(Or, for that matter, Netanyahu.)
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited February 21

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

stodge said:

Oh.

Too much.

Indeed!Well said Big G.

Though I have to say I thought Penny came out of it all rather gloriously.

Today, her speech was "look what you could have won" moment for the Tories lol!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

stodge said:

Oh.

Too much.

You clearly did not watch the debate and aftermath live on tv
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited February 21
    Porto 1 Arsenal 0

FT
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

If they have dropped but gone from being below the speed limit on average to being well above it on average, that is *not* a success. It brings speed limits into disrepute - and then where they *are* needed makes them less effective.

We come back to the point of the article you posted when we discussed this before - such things need to be brought in carefully, thoughtfully, over time and with full community engagement. Not imposed in a rush of blood as political manoeuvre by a bunch of drunks on the periphery of the country.
    Of course it is. It means that fewer people will be killed and injured. In Edinburgh, the biggest beneficiary was car owners themselves - the number of collisions dropped dramatically, saving everyone money. Sadly, the Facebook cohort aren't interested in evidence from elsewhere in the UK.

I think you're arguing for more enforcement of the limit? If so, perhaps set up a petition on the Welsh Government website?
  • Options

2-1 Liverpool

2-1 Liverpool

2-1 Liverpool

Not hate but Everto
    ydoethur said:

Wales is not a City and to compare it with it is a total misunderstanding of our Country
    Does Wales have different laws of physics/reaction times to the rest of the country?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

This debate seems to have been an utter shitshow.

The SNP clearly brought the motion as a means to embarrass Labour. The Government motion wasn't greatly distinguishable from the Labour one. And the procedural wrangling obfuscated any useful debate on Gaza itself.

And Hoyle will probably survive.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/feb/21/commons-speaker-issues-apology-after-gaza-ceasefire-debate-descends-into-chaos
    ...One minister admitted: “We’re not as angry as we’re pretending.”..

Performative nonsense all round.

When Parliament was first broadcast MPs rose to the occasion. The 1979 VONC, 1983 Falklands Saturday emergency debate, Thatcher's 1991 valediction ('Go on, I'm enjoying this'). Today's chienlit shows how far they've fallen, back to the worst days of the 2017 Parliament.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

2-1 Liverpool

2-1 Liverpool

2-1 Liverpool

Not hate but Everto
    ydoethur said:

Does Wales have different laws of physics/reaction times to the rest of the country?
    Yes, when sheep are involved.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Nobody.

Don't you live in Wales?

I used to, not any more.

And double parking bottlenecks. Makes for much smoother driving around me. Like zen for cars. I’m a convert.
    Yep. I instinctively drive at 20mph in any built up area now. 30mph just feels too hectic.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    If you watched the commons, no one looked good today. Personally, I take a particular dim view at those using the Gaza issue to score some advantage over another party. They will obviously deny it, but it was pretty obvious who they were. Hoyle for all his faults was not one of those.

If politicians are wise, they will swiftly move on.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

2-1 Liverpool

2-1 Liverpool

2-1 Liverpool

Not hate but Everto
    ydoethur said:

It has very different road conditions and much fewer cyclists

Anyway, it is being reviewed and hopefully the limits adjusted as needed
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Nigelb said:

WTF

The pro Palestine mob. It's clear that MPs are increasingly having to consider the intimidation they face when deciding how to vote in parliament. You'd think some people would be concerned by this.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Nobody.

Don't you live in Wales?

I used to, not any more.

Yep. I instinctively drive at 20mph in any built up area now. 30mph just feels too hectic.
    Yeah, 30mph feels ludicrously quick to drive around residential streets now. It’s remarkable how quickly you get used to 20mph.
  • Options
    Sir Robert Buckland can hold a tune.

Broke into Land of My Fathers on Peston’s Twitter break. Lord Kinnock notably impressed.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

2-1 Liverpool

2-1 Liverpool

2-1 Liverpool

Not hate but Everto
    ydoethur said:

It's much more likely to be raining - is that what you mean? Stopping distances are more than double in the wet.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

WTF

The pro Palestine mob. It's clear that MPs are increasingly having to consider the intimidation they face when deciding how to vote in parliament. You'd think some people would be concerned by this.
    Perhaps you can direct us to your posts making this point when MPs were threatened by extreme Brexiteers in the 2017-19 Parliament.

I know a few who were told they would be Jo Cox'd if they didn't vote to Leave with no deal.

In both instances it is wrong but you're lumping anyone who is concerned about the events in Palestine as the pro Palestine Mob is shameful.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Nobody.

Don't you live in Wales?

I used to, not any more.

Yeah, 30mph feels ludicrously quick to drive around residential streets now. It’s remarkable how quickly you get used to 20mph.
    It's an age thing. Never glad confident motoring again.
  • Options

2-1 Liverpool

2-1 Liverpool

2-1 Liverpool

Not hate but Everto
    ydoethur said:

London: a nation, not a city.

Benjamin Disraeli
  • Options

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

stodge said:

Oh.

Too much.

No. As I said downthread I was in the pub.

I suggest that it was SNP and Conservative members throwing their toys out of the pram that have caused any debasing, rather than Mr Speaker allowing a vote.
  • Options
    Do we think the no confidence motion in the Speeker is likely to be carried?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,478
    edited February 21
    GIN1138 said:

I don't think so, I am fully expecting Sir Lindsay to announce he will stand down at the election though.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

2-1 Liverpool

2-1 Liverpool

2-1 Liverpool

Not hate but Everto
    ydoethur said:

It's much more likely to be raining - is that what you mean? Stopping distances are more than double in the wet.
    Sheep or seagull shite too.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,641
    Jonathan said:

If you watched the commons, no one looked good today. Personally, I take a particular dim view at those using the Gaza issue to score some advantage over another party. They will obviously deny it, but it was pretty obvious who they were. Hoyle for all his faults was not one of those.

If politicians are wise, they will swiftly move on.

I know they are only few, but the Lib Dems behaved absolutely correctly throughout the whole thing, put down their own amendment but were gracious (and unsurprised) when it wasn’t moved, and confirmed early on that they would vote for any sensible motion that was supportive of a long term solution to the conflict.

Layla Moran has been excellent throughout the Israel-Gaza conflict.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

stodge said:

Oh.

Too much.

I suggest that it was SNP and Conservative members throwing their toys out of the pram that have caused any debasing, rather than Mr Speaker allowing a vote.
    It is possible that the SNP, Tories, and the Speaker have all caused the debasing.

The letter from the Clerk of the Commons was damning for the Speaker.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I don't think so, I am fully expecting Sir Lindsay to announce he will stand down at the election though.
    Hmm... If the Tories think that's likely, wouldn't it make sense to carry the no confidence motion so they can get their preferred candidate into the Chair while they have a majority?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Did you not see the minister quoted as saying "we're not as angry as we pretended" ?

The government were upset that Labour weren't embarrassed as planned. That's hardly a matter of high principle.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,641

2-1 Liverpool

2-1 Liverpool

2-1 Liverpool

Not hate but Everto
    ydoethur said:

London: a nation, not a city.

Benjamin Disraeli
    England is my city

Jake Paul
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Hmm... If the Tories think that's likely, wouldn't it make sense to carry the no confidence motion so they can get their preferred candidate into the Chair while they have a majority?
    There is a lot of affection for the Speaker on a personal level, so that should save him from being ousted.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

stodge said:

Oh.

Too much.

It is possible that the SNP, Tories, and the Speaker have all caused the debasing.

It might possibly not have dawned on you that the SNP were upset at not being permitted to follow the rules in the first place.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

2-1 Liverpool

2-1 Liverpool

2-1 Liverpool

Not hate but Everto
    ydoethur said:

No point in arguing with a closed mind

Fortunately the Welsh government and local authorities are not of a closed mind and as I have repeatedly said the limits are under review

The silly thing about this is that I do agree 20mph zones are sensible in some locations but it is clear a blanket Iill thought out reduction from 30 to 20 was not the way to win over the public
  • Options

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

stodge said:

Oh.

Too much.

I find it unacceptable when MPs are denied the opportunity to vote on any proposed amendment.

Too much power in the hands of the speaker to pick and choose.

But that's just me.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,123
    edited February 21
    I'm amazed that the none of the consultations Labour said they were having with the SNP over their amendment didn't bear sensible fruit. There were consultations, right?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

It seems Hoyle may resign anyway but we must wait and see
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,354

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

stodge said:

Oh.

Too much.

Well, the point was, and this is why it descended into farce, absolutely nothing was at stake. Despite the seriousness of the underlying issue.

The SNP put forward a motion calling for a ceasefire whose text was deliberately designed to make it difficult for Labour or the government to support, leaving out obligations on Hamas to make it happen.

Safe in the knowledge that even if it were adopted it was an entirely empty gesture with no consequences because neither Hamas nor Netanyahu give a fig.

Labour saw the trap coming a mile off, so put forward its own amendment create a wording they could support - though still ultimately with no bearing on what happens in Gaza.

The Tories, not wanting Labour to escape embarrassment, tabled their own - as procedure would ordinary rule out the Labour one from being considered, and put Labour back in the SNP trap.

The speaker then rendered it moot by calling both, which had the lucky (or neat if you're cynical) side effect of helping Labour out of the jam.

The reason there was so much gameplaying from all is precisely because nothing was at stake other than what each party could shout at each other when campaigning. Hence why you ended up with three motions saying close to the same thing (a ceasefire would be great please), but each semantically designed to be awkward to the other parties.

If lots had actually been at stake - say we were voting on whether to send direct military assistance or being part of a peacekeeping force - then there would have been no mucking about as each would have a clear rather than a semantic choice to make over something that was actually going to happen, and whose results you'd be judged on.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

mwadams said:

stodge said:

Oh.

Too much.

It might possibly not have dawned on you that the SNP were upset at not being permitted to follow the rules in the first place.
    ITV reporting it is the SNP who have a justifiable complaint as it was their day and it will only lead into a debate in Scotland that the English (word used) in Westminster have no interest in Scotland

• Options
    ….
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

2-1 Liverpool

2-1 Liverpool

2-1 Liverpool

Not hate but Everto
    ydoethur said:

Sheep or seagull shite too.
    I don't remember that bit in the Highway Code.

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

2-1 Liverpool

2-1 Liverpool

2-1 Liverpool

Not hate but Everto
    ydoethur said:

No point in arguing with a closed mind

Fortunately the Welsh government and local authorities are not of a closed mind and as I have repeatedly said the limits are under review

The silly thing about this is that I do agree 20mph zones are sensible in some locations but it is clear a blanket Iill thought out reduction from 30 to 20 was not the way to win over the public
    Edinburgh did a review too and ended up expanding the 20mph zone :# That's the problem with evidence-based policy.

Another important element is clarity and simplicity - from what I can see online, one major issue is that the speed limits in Wales chop around from 60 - 40 - 20 - 40 - 60, etc. A blanket 20mph in urban areas would be cheaper to implement and fairer on motorists.
This discussion has been closed.