Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Being told that the diagnosis is dementia – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,876
edited March 12 in General
Being told that the diagnosis is dementia – politicalbetting.com

On Monday I had an appointment at the local NHS memory clinic to hear the results of a series of tests that had been carried out on me.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,029
    Very sorry to hear this - best wishes
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 50,525
    Ah, Mike

Deep Sympathies - to you and yours
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,971
    edited February 15
    Very sorry to hear this Mike, all the best for yourself and your family.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,429
    Very sorry to hear that OGH. :frowning:
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,994
    Oh my goodness. Al the best to you and yours. :(
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,665
    Saddened to hear the news Mike. Best wishes to you.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 20,014
    Oh damn, Mike. That's a hard thing for you to hear. I'm really sorry.
  • Options
    Look on the upside, Mike, you still know how to completely hijack a thread, like no one else on PB
  • Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169
    Keir Starmer is a very lucky general.

The polls will be back up to a 20 point lead.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,708

Thoughts are with you and your family, Mike. This site provides an enormous amount of entertainment and interest, and you mean a lot to all of us here.

What @SirNorfolkPassmore said.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,970
    Sorry to hear this. All are thoughts are with you.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,429

Keir Starmer is a very lucky general.

The polls will be back up to a 20 point lead.

Seriously?
  • Options
    Suffragette Line is a bit of a mouthful, TBH, but I’m glad they have changed the colours. Having just orange for six or seven different lines made no sense.

Next steps:

• create separate colours and names for all the different Northern lines
    • reduce Waterloo & City and Hammersmith & City to just one word (why do they alone have three words?)
    • remove the word line on the Liz line branding (why is this the only line that does this?)
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,105
    Sorry to hear your news and our best wishes. Hope the prognosis and progression is at the mild end and that you have a number of good years left in you yet.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 40,094
    That's not great news, Mike. Hope you keep as well as possible for as long as possible.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,461
    Mike - so sorry to hear this. As others have noted, there may be reasons to be hopeful on emerging treatments. Sending much love to you and all your family.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,896
    Sorry to hear the news. Hope treatment goes well.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,681
    All the best Mike
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,535
    Sympathies and best wishes. And thank you for all you do.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,442
    Truly sorry to hear of this. Wishing you strength and comfort during this difficult time.
  • Options
    There is, sadly, a lot of it about.
  • Options

Suffragette Line is a bit of a mouthful, TBH, but I’m glad they have changed the colours. Having just orange for six or seven different lines made no sense.

Next steps:

• reduce Waterloo & City and Hammersmith & City to just one word (why do they alone have three words?)
    • remove the word line on the Liz line branding (why is this the only line that does this?)

Waterloo & City = The Drain
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,749
    Incredibly sorry to hear that Mike. I really do hope that a viable treatment path for neurological diseases is found.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,556
    So sorry to hear this news . The best of luck for your treatment .
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,468
    Oh dear, I'm very sorry to hear this Mike. Please know everyone here will be sending you our thoughts and best wishes.

All the best.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,314
    edited February 15
    That's a hard blow Mike. It's difficult to stay positive in this situation but I hope you can. Thank you for everything you have done for pb.com and look forward to you continuing participation.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,510
    Best wishes Mike.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 4,115
    I'm so sorry to hear this. Best of luck to you with your treatment, and thoughts to you and your family.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear this, best wishes Mike.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,887
    This is an awful thing to have to come to terms with, but rest assured everyone here feels for you and would support you and your family with our thoughts and prayers. In the mean time we'll endeavour to keep this site as stimulating as possible for you as a suitable tribute to your work.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,908
    Sorry to hear of your diagnosis OGH and best wishes as you deal with it
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 65,092
    Really sorry to hear that, Mike.
    I was with my father when he got his diagnosis, so I have some idea of the blow. I wish you and your family all the best.
  • Options

Next steps:

Not much more I can say about the threader, except to reiterate my best wishes.

But on these LO names:

I lived in London for five years, and I've no idea what 'Mildmay' refers to.

Suffragette is a mouthful and difficult to spell.

Weaver: again, I've no idea what this is supposed to refer to.

Lioness: I assume this is footie. In which case, I assume it goes past Wembley? Or Arsenal perhaps? Tottenham? West Ham?

Liberty: an utterly meaningless name that could match anything, anywhere. If you want something better, perhaps something like ''Runnymede" would be better, if any line passed nearby.

All in all, a terrible selection of names that are anything but geographic. Like, sadly, the 'Elizabeth line'.

Not that my opinion matters. :)
  • Options
  • Options

Next steps:

But on these LO names:

Lioness: I assume this is footie. In which case, I assume it goes past Wembley? Or Arsenal perhaps? Tottenham? West Ham?

Liberty: an utterly meaningless name that could match anything, anywhere. If you want something better, perhaps something like ''Runnymede" would be better, if any line passed nearby.

All in all, a terrible selection of names that are anything but geographic. Like, sadly, the 'Elizabeth line'.

They should have named the lines after the six Conservative PMs since 2010. They'd have had to wait a couple of months to confirm the last one, but still a nice tribute.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,953
    Best wishes to OGH and his family.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Sorry to hear your bad news Mike, and @rcs1000. Best of luck
  • Options

Next steps:

But on these LO names:

They should have named the lines after the six Conservative PMs since 2010. They'd have had to wait a couple of months to confirm the last one, but still a nice tribute.
    LOL, no. I don't think they'll be able to build new lines quickly enough. ;)

Another thought about the 'Suffragette line'; this will soon become dubbed the 'Suffering line'.
  • Options

Next steps:

But on these LO names:

The Liberty Line is a MAGA name
    The Weaver Line obviously refers to Randy Weaver (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Weaver)

It seems clear to me that these names are actually chosen to appeal to the Fascist American Right.
  • Options
    I'm very sorry to hear that, Mike. All the best to you and your family.
  • Options

I'm very sorry to hear that, Mike. All the best to you and your family.

Hear hear
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,110

I'm so sorry to hear that, Mike - something that all of us worry about. My father had it, and in his case it wasn't actually disabling. Essentially his short-term memory was bad, so we made sure someone was with him when he went out, in case he couldn't find his way back. But his mind was fine in terms of just enjoying good times and he remained happy - in fact said it was the happiest time of his life, with caring family and no responsibilities to worry about - and he joked that he could now re-read his favourite books as he couldn't remember the endings. A friend's wife is experiencing the same - she doesn't reliably remember things, but it hasn't stopped her enjoying life, and she and her husband simply accept that remembering isn't her thing.

I do hope that you'll find it similarly compatible with a good and satisfying life. All the very best.

Best wishes Mike. As Nick says, it can be compatible with a good and satisfying life. It happened to my mother. She developed vascular dementia (mini strokes) aged 90 which made her very forgetful. Her table was strewn with yellow post-it notes of important things to remember. Her personality was not affected and she remained a very jolly person until she died aged 94.
  • Options

Next steps:

But on these LO names:

Another thought about the 'Suffragette line'; this will soon become dubbed the 'Suffering line'.
    The names are mostly all horrendous.
  • Options

Next steps:

But on these LO names:

What about the 9 Conservative PMs since 1979 (copyright: J Corbyn)?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,461

Next steps:

But on these LO names:

AIUI the Liberty line has some local relevance in Havering. I like the new names or am indifferent with the exception of the Lionesses line which I do have to say I find a bit cringe, no disrespect to the England women's football team intended.
    I'm still hoping for the Bakerloo line extension to Lewisham, at which point that line should be renamed Bakerlew.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,684
    Mike, I am very sorry to hear this news. All the best to you and your family.
  • Options
    I am so sorry to hear your news Mike and wish you and all your family all the very best
  • Options

Next steps:

But on these LO names:

Besides, we know the current government's attitude to building railway lines.

Liberty makes sense in Havering, which is the only borough the line serves. And coming up with names that are local and generic is blooming hard.

(Without looking up, where are Havering, Redbridge, Merton? And, outside London, Dacorum?)

And on topic, whatever needs to be said has been said, but take it as read again.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

I'm so sorry to hear that, Mike - something that all of us worry about. My father had it, and in his case it wasn't actually disabling. Essentially his short-term memory was bad, so we made sure someone was with him when he went out, in case he couldn't find his way back. But his mind was fine in terms of just enjoying good times and he remained happy - in fact said it was the happiest time of his life, with caring family and no responsibilities to worry about - and he joked that he could now re-read his favourite books as he couldn't remember the endings. A friend's wife is experiencing the same - she doesn't reliably remember things, but it hasn't stopped her enjoying life, and she and her husband simply accept that remembering isn't her thing.

I do hope that you'll find it similarly compatible with a good and satisfying life. All the very best.

Best wishes Mike. As Nick says, it can be compatible with a good and satisfying life. It happened to my mother. She developed vascular dementia (mini strokes) aged 90 which made her very forgetful. Her table was strewn with yellow post-it notes of important things to remember. Her personality was not affected and she remained a very jolly person until she died aged 94.
    Agreed. It is clearly not good news but it can be a slow, gentle decline or rapid. Let us hope for the former. I know a chap still running his company a decade since his Parkinson's diagnosis.
  • Options

Next steps:

But on these LO names:

The Weaver Line obviously refers to Randy Weaver (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Weaver)

It seems clear to me that these names are actually chosen to appeal to the Fascist American Right.
    No, the Weaver Line is named after Jackie Weaver, of Handforth Parish Council fame. Apparently, there are also plans for a Julie's i-Pad Line.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,431
    edited February 15
    Ashcroft latest poll about attitudes to the current Government compared with a prospective Labour one:

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2024/02/the-28-billion-reversal-would-anything-change-under-labour-and-what-ofsted-rating-would-you-give-the-government-my-february-poll/

Much as expected - my summary would be "Tories are awful, Labour would be a bit better, things look unpromising either way". However, the original £28bn commitment AND the U-turn in the light of events both get a thumbs up from the electorate, suggesting an unusual degree of nuance - essentially that it's the right direction but fair to take account of the current financial situation.

All pre-Rochdalegate, though.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,223
    My deepest sympathies, Mr. Smithson.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,687

Next steps:

But on these LO names:

AIUI the Liberty line has some local relevance in Havering. I like the new names or am indifferent with the exception of the Lionesses line which I do have to say I find a bit cringe, no disrespect to the England women's football team intended.
    I'm still hoping for the Bakerloo line extension to Lewisham, at which point that line should be renamed Bakerlew.
    Wait until the economy picks up a bit and then auction them off starting at a £1bn each for 25 years. Coca Cola, Facebook, Google lines etc. About 20 named lines on the new map so if taken up could generate 10% of Tfls budget.

Needs must when we are skint, and can't come up with good names anyway.
  • Options

Ashcroft latest poll about attitudes to the current Government compared with a prospective Labour one:

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2024/02/the-28-billion-reversal-would-anything-change-under-labour-and-what-ofsted-rating-would-you-give-the-government-my-february-poll/

Much as expected - my summary would be "Tories are awful, Labour would be a bit better, things look unpromising either way". However, the original £28bn commitment AND the U-turn in the light of events both get a thumbs up from the electorate, suggesting an unusual degree of nuance - essentially that it's the right direction but fair to take account of the current financial situation.

My instinct despite being in favour of the policy was that it would go down well with the electorate.

This is one of those classic "3 minute vs 30 minute vs 3 hour" conversation policies Tony Blair used to talk about. Initially it sounds good but the longer you think about it, the more you think about how we probably can't afford it (even if you can make an argument against that) and so the more time that passes, the more people will be on board with scrapping it.

I think the bigger danger for Labour is the idea they don't have any policies at all but this is something I think will become fairly quickly resolved during an election campaign.
  • Options
    Every police force to get £1 million cash to tackle yobs ‘ruining lives’ with antisocial behaviour
    After trialling extra bobbies on the beat and targeted interventions in ten hotspots across the country, local trials have shown a decline in antisocial behaviour, the Home Office says.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/every-police-force-to-get-1-million-cash-for-antisocial-behaviour/

Bobbies on the beat. Yobbos to cashpoints. Jumpers for goalposts. Nothing to do with the Home Office that cut 20,000 coppers, or the government.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,853
    All my best wishes OGH.
  • Options

Next steps:

But on these LO names:

No, the Weaver Line is named after Jackie Weaver, of Handforth Parish Council fame. Apparently, there are also plans for a Julie's i-Pad Line.
    Impossible. She had no authority there. None.
  • Options
    maxh said:

Not as much of a regular as others on here, but I’d echo @SirNorfolkPassmore - you have created a genuinely valuable and enjoyable site that is hugely informative and retains its distinctive ability to bring together proto-fascists, anarcho-syndicalists and those who would argue these are two sides of the same coin. It’s a hugely impressive achievement that in no way softens the blow of your diagnosis I'm sure.

Thoughts with you and the family.

Can we please keep arguments about cash out of this thread?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,684
    https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1758062993139519952

Tom Harwood
    @tomhfh
    Stop lauding political violence and rename it the Suffragist line.

You've even illustrated this announcement with a suffragist - Millicent Fawcett. She was most certainly not a suffragette, and will be turning in her grave at the accusation.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,198
    ydoethur said:

Next steps:

But on these LO names:

Impossible. She had no authority there. None.
    I find it highly amusing that the people going nuts at that meeting were actually in the right.

Mike - so sad to hear your news. This site is one of the best things on the internet and I value your insights hugely. Best of luck with whatever the future holds.
  • Options
    My proposal for names of the overground lines.

Waterloo
    Agincourt
    Trafalgar
    Mers El Kébir
    Redcoat
    Longshanks
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,941
    Sorry to hear your news. Best wishes to you and your family.

“Keep buggering on” as someone once said.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,423
    edited February 15
    Hi Mike. Diagnoses like that are difficult to take at first. My Mum had the same and she lived several good years after it. She even managed to disguise it for a while using little tricks of her own invention. She also discovered audio books which she wished she'd discovered earlier. Anyway wishing you all the best
  • Options

Waterloo
    Agincourt
    Trafalgar
    Mers El Kébir
    Redcoat
    Longshanks

Crécy?

The Black Prince etc - bone for the Wokists?

Also need a Cumberland line
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 744
    Sorry to hear your diagnosis, Mike, I hope that you are able to enjoy life to the fullest possible with your family.
    Although this website is only part of your life and work, it is a great achievement. 'Si monumentum requiris, circumspice.'
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 51,250
    Sorry to hear your news Mike OGH, best wishes for the future. You can be very proud of having set up this place, one of the best discussion forums on the internet.
  • Options

Still, fairly conclusive evidence @MoonRabbit called it absolutely right, and most of PB absolutely wrong.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,894
    edited February 15
    Very sorry to hear it OGH. Much sympathy to you and your wife, and to Robert.
  • Options
    Panty line
    Body line
    Cheeky line

• Options

Every police force to get £1 million cash to tackle yobs ‘ruining lives’ with antisocial behaviour
    After trialling extra bobbies on the beat and targeted interventions in ten hotspots across the country, local trials have shown a decline in antisocial behaviour, the Home Office says.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/every-police-force-to-get-1-million-cash-for-antisocial-behaviour/

Bobbies on the beat. Yobbos to cashpoints. Jumpers for goalposts. Nothing to do with the Home Office that cut 20,000 coppers, or the government.

This sort of micromanaging from Whitehall makes me despair. What are PCCs, or all the other local policing boards, or even Chief Constables for, if Whitehall is making allocations of £1m to tackle antisocial behaviour?

Might Whitehall's time be better spent working on the problems that operate on a slightly larger scale?
    Remember the immortal words of Senator Dianne Feinstein on the NASA Commercial Cargo program.

She was worried that it wasn't generating enough paperwork to keep her staff busy.

She actually said this. Out loud and everything.

In a way, funniest thing since Bill Clinton attacked flattening the US tax system on the grounds that it would put 100Ks of lawyers out of business.
  • Options

Waterloo
    Agincourt
    Trafalgar
    Mers El Kébir
    Redcoat
    Longshanks

Crécy?

That’s why I ruled it out. Cultural appropriation when he wasn’t even black.

Cumberland and Redcoat lines are a bit of a tautology in my book.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,223
    Mr. Eagles, that's an appalling post.

You included neither Crecy nor Poitiers.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 20,007

Waterloo
    Agincourt
    Trafalgar
    Mers El Kébir
    Redcoat
    Longshanks

Crécy?

I think Dowding Line is good, as long as it goes to the Stanmore area.

A real diffident hero, who invented something that is still ubiquitous worldwide (except presumably Russia) 80 years later.

Can we have the Mandelson Line which has a sign for Heathrow and then takes you to Tilbury?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,605
    On topic, very bad news and my best wishes for what they are worth.

A couple of days ago a good friend (age 25) was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, and a couple of months ago another friend heard she has MS. Seems like many people are having bad luck at the moment.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, that's an appalling post.

You included neither Crecy nor Poitiers.

Not a fan of those, like Hannibal, we won the battles but lost the bloody war, to France, for shame.
  • Options

Waterloo
    Agincourt
    Trafalgar
    Mers El Kébir
    Redcoat
    Longshanks

Crécy?

Do we know if Bonny Prince Charles was actually Bonny?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,051
    Rather late as I've been out for my morning walk, but may I add my best wishes to OGH. This is a brilliant site, thanks to you.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,813
    So sorry to hear your news Mike. As others have said there are degrees of dementia and many people have happy, fulfilling lives. Best wishes to you and all your family.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 2,049
    Not news anyone would want to hear Mike. Best wishes to you & yours for whatever the future holds.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Mike. Dementia keeps being used a weapon to beat Biden with. It isn't a weapon...
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,970
    https://analysis.irelandthinks.ie/wellingborough-by-election/ Wellingborough poll by new polling company. Don't know how reliable, but says narrow Conservative win! Betting opportunity?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,165
    Rather late to this, but all my best wishes to you and your family, Mike, and thank you for providing us with such an informative and entertaining site.
  • Options
    All my best wishes to OGH.

Perhaps he now has the relevant attributes to be President of the US?
  • Options

Sorry to hear that Mike. Dementia keeps being used a weapon to beat Biden with. It isn't a weapon...

Its not a weapon, but it is surely a concern for people that Biden is not as sharp as he could be. He is a decent man, but surely in the the USA there is at least one other person that the Democrats could pick?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 20,014
    Nitter.cz is down, presumably permanently. :(

https://nitter.cz/
  • Options
    These line names are utterly dismal

I don’t give a fuck about windrush. Suffragettes is impossible to fucking say. Who the fuck is ‘mildmay’. What the fuck is a ‘weaver’. Liberty is just fucking cringe. And fucking lionesses is fucking cringe times intergalactic fucketty-cringe
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 40,094

https://analysis.irelandthinks.ie/wellingborough-by-election/ Wellingborough poll by new polling company. Don't know how reliable, but says narrow Conservative win! Betting opportunity?

I've had a small bet at 8.
  • Options

Waterloo
    Agincourt
    Trafalgar
    Mers El Kébir
    Redcoat
    Longshanks

Crécy?

Do we know if Bonny Prince Charles was actually Bonny?
    Appaz he was. But tiny
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 945
    edited February 15

I think that 80% turnout which the poll suggests is unlikely - might be as low as 25%- 30%.

Very best wishes to Mike, and as others have said many thanks for creating PB!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,547
    edited February 15
    Even the Scot Nats are praising the man who defeated them in the referendum,

Told you Dave was awesome.

I can only hope Cameron’s intervention on the US package to Ukraine is successful - god knows we need it to be. Whilst I have many criticisms of him - and will have many more - this is a commendable move that I doubt any other FS would have pulled off.

https://twitter.com/StewartMcDonald/status/1758040739315855655
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,444

Waterloo
    Agincourt
    Trafalgar
    Mers El Kébir
    Redcoat
    Longshanks

Crécy?

The Cumberland line would be the line from Glasgow to Carlisle for maximum LOLZ.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,325
    Very sorry to hear this - much sympathy to you and yours.
This discussion has been closed.