Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Has Trump ensured the UK rejoins the EU? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Something cheering. For the first time in 40 years, all the scaffolding has been removed from Salisbury Cathedral, and she can now be seen in all her purist beauty. Magnificent and peerless

We hack and sneer at our planning rules but just look at how beautiful and rural that medieval cathedral still looks, with a few developments sensitively nestling into the landscape around it, in a way that simply wouldn't be the case in many other countries.
    Yes, but where are people going to park? Salisbury's economy is going to suffer unless they concrete over all that green space.

What's the accessibility like? Really needs a dual carriageway to carry visitors to the cathedral.

And why even have a cathedral? This country is now secular. That space could be used for at least 20 detached homes (plastic grass to reduce maintenance costs).
    ohnotnow said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68292471

Israel launches 'extensive' strikes in Lebanon after rockets hit army base

Four people have been killed in an "extensive wave" of Israeli air strikes in Lebanon launched after Hezbollah rocket fire killed a soldier in Israel.

A woman and two children were killed in the southern Lebanese town of Souaneh, state media and security sources said.

A man who Hezbollah identified as one of its fighters was killed in Aadchit.

Israel's military said it hit Hezbollah infrastructure in response to a deadly rocket attack on its base in the northern Israeli town of Safed.

Eabhal said:

theProle said:

eek said:

eek said:

FPT

I'm enjoying the debate about the change to the tax treatment of double cab pickup trucks. Essentially townies don't like the people who drive them in town and think its great. Those of us in the sticks realise its a disaster.

"Just pay the tax" says one - £7k a year? Or "separate business and non-business use". How do you do that when your business is where you live? And separating business and non business use means driving scores of additional miles to swap vehicles which means less work done at more cost.

I assume the HMRC / Treasury people have never been to the countryside.

The issue for HMRC is that that type of vehicle is being used by more and more people as a 2 for the price of 1 deal to avoid tax - so I can see why HMRC are cracking down on it.

Easiest solution is to replace it with a single cab track when you come to replace it and buy a car for personal use -
    How does that work? I know of several local contractors who have these. They buy a double cab because they use the space. They have a business based at home (one is a farm), and when the nearest shop is 10 miles away the idea of separating business and non business is for the birds.

Its great for fans of EVs as so far they are exempt - BIK is 2%. Maxus have just done a firesale on their first attempt (rear wheel drive only lol) to import a proper one. Ford are to launch an EV Ranger. Bye bye diesel in the medium term.

But in the short term? Less work gets done at a higher cost. Well done Tories, well done...
    How does that work? Government wants money for tax cuts so anything that looks like abuse (and I can see why double cabs are seen as abuse) is going to be investigated.

So yep the people near you are collateral damage but hey some of us have been subject to the collateral damage of other HMRC crackdowns for 20+ years and you just have to accept it - while praying that HMRC don’t decide to use you as an example test case
    This whole episode is a good demonstration of how the government stuffs up everything it touches.
    It was clearly less than ideal to have loads of people driving round in double cab pickups they don't really need to to evade BiK payments. It was also massively predictable that it would happen - I think I may well be the only small business owner I know who hasn't got one.

The root problem is of course that BiK on cars is wildly unfair. Rochdale rides round in his company Tesla paying almost nothing, because he rejoices in a) having loads of money to buy one and b) His use case actually works within the range of a Tesla.
    Meanwhile the guys I bought my business off are about to be stung for shedloads of BiK on their work pickup trucks where the rear seats are used a secure tool storage rather than for passengers, and who actually use the pickup bed for moving heavy items daily. They also have the sort of use patterns which make EVs completely un-viable - frequently doing 300-500 miles in a day, often to do jobs at locations where there is no prospect of charging (eg water works in the middle of wherever).

The best fix is probably just to abolish BiK on cars full stop. We've effectively done it for EVs, which shows we don't care about the principle of it, we'd do better to just let people buy suitable vehicles through their businesses rather than move keep moving loopholes round.
    It's a broader problem with taxation and incentives for vehicles. Policies that make sense for the 80% of us who live in urban areas completely screw the rural economy, most obviously fuel duty.

Some people on the left/green side also support mileage taxation, which is just insane imo. We want to tax short, urban journeys, not long ones in rural areas.
    We should forcibly move all Green MSPs to Wick and and see how they get to Holyrood in their electric cars / Stagecoach buses / cancelled Scotrail trains.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059
    I assume everyone has seen Nikki Haley's husband's tweet: https://twitter.com/WMichaelHaley/status/1756442971908550891
  • Options
    BournvilleBournville Posts: 303
    Sorry, if the US has withdrawn from NATO, leaving it mostly a European alliance, why would the UK rejoin the European Union? We'd still be in the theoretical European alliance NATO, why mess about rejoining a completely separate organisation? To shelter under the military umbrella of Malta and Ireland?
  • Options

Eabhal said:

theProle said:

eek said:

eek said:

FPT

I'm enjoying the debate about the change to the tax treatment of double cab pickup trucks. Essentially townies don't like the people who drive them in town and think its great. Those of us in the sticks realise its a disaster.

"Just pay the tax" says one - £7k a year? Or "separate business and non-business use". How do you do that when your business is where you live? And separating business and non business use means driving scores of additional miles to swap vehicles which means less work done at more cost.

I assume the HMRC / Treasury people have never been to the countryside.

The issue for HMRC is that that type of vehicle is being used by more and more people as a 2 for the price of 1 deal to avoid tax - so I can see why HMRC are cracking down on it.

Easiest solution is to replace it with a single cab track when you come to replace it and buy a car for personal use -
    How does that work? I know of several local contractors who have these. They buy a double cab because they use the space. They have a business based at home (one is a farm), and when the nearest shop is 10 miles away the idea of separating business and non business is for the birds.

Its great for fans of EVs as so far they are exempt - BIK is 2%. Maxus have just done a firesale on their first attempt (rear wheel drive only lol) to import a proper one. Ford are to launch an EV Ranger. Bye bye diesel in the medium term.

But in the short term? Less work gets done at a higher cost. Well done Tories, well done...
    How does that work? Government wants money for tax cuts so anything that looks like abuse (and I can see why double cabs are seen as abuse) is going to be investigated.

So yep the people near you are collateral damage but hey some of us have been subject to the collateral damage of other HMRC crackdowns for 20+ years and you just have to accept it - while praying that HMRC don’t decide to use you as an example test case
    This whole episode is a good demonstration of how the government stuffs up everything it touches.
    It was clearly less than ideal to have loads of people driving round in double cab pickups they don't really need to to evade BiK payments. It was also massively predictable that it would happen - I think I may well be the only small business owner I know who hasn't got one.

The root problem is of course that BiK on cars is wildly unfair. Rochdale rides round in his company Tesla paying almost nothing, because he rejoices in a) having loads of money to buy one and b) His use case actually works within the range of a Tesla.
    Meanwhile the guys I bought my business off are about to be stung for shedloads of BiK on their work pickup trucks where the rear seats are used a secure tool storage rather than for passengers, and who actually use the pickup bed for moving heavy items daily. They also have the sort of use patterns which make EVs completely un-viable - frequently doing 300-500 miles in a day, often to do jobs at locations where there is no prospect of charging (eg water works in the middle of wherever).

The best fix is probably just to abolish BiK on cars full stop. We've effectively done it for EVs, which shows we don't care about the principle of it, we'd do better to just let people buy suitable vehicles through their businesses rather than move keep moving loopholes round.
    It's a broader problem with taxation and incentives for vehicles. Policies that make sense for the 80% of us who live in urban areas completely screw the rural economy, most obviously fuel duty.

Some people on the left/green side also support mileage taxation, which is just insane imo. We want to tax short, urban journeys, not long ones in rural areas.
    We should forcibly move all Green MSPs to Wick and and see how they get to Holyrood in their electric cars / Stagecoach buses / cancelled Scotrail trains.
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?search=Sunil060902+Wick+July+2022&title=Special:MediaSearch&go=Go&type=image
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@RedfieldWilton

Starmer leads Sunak by 6% in the Blue Wall, his largest EVER lead in these seats.

Which of the following do Blue Wall voters think would be the better PM for the UK? (11 Feb)

Keir Starmer 39% (+3)
    Rishi Sunak 33% (-3)

Changes +/- 17-18 Jan

@mikeysmith

If I were a Tory man in a grey suit, I’d be having serious thoughts about a May election - not to win, but as the only way to stop the bleeding.

The red wall were used to being ignored. Johnson promised them better. The Tories shit all over themas usual. The Tories have lost the red wall for ever.
  • Options

isam said:

My favourite. A bold move, for those with little or no shame

STARMER SUTRA, POSITION 6:

The Reverse Referendum.

https://x.com/conservatives/status/1757765026293719165?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

Starmer Chameleon: "Governing would be easy if your policies were like my dreams."
    Funny though that is, if you were 15 when Karma Chameleon came out, then you're close to retirement age now.

If you're 35 years old, then that song was released almost a decade before you were born. Your chances of having heard it (or of it) can't be particularly high.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,790

Sorry, if the US has withdrawn from NATO, leaving it mostly a European alliance, why would the UK rejoin the European Union? We'd still be in the theoretical European alliance NATO, why mess about rejoining a completely separate organisation? To shelter under the military umbrella of Malta and Ireland?

You might not have realised those aren't two of the more significant nations in the EU ?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@RedfieldWilton

Starmer leads Sunak by 6% in the Blue Wall, his largest EVER lead in these seats.

Which of the following do Blue Wall voters think would be the better PM for the UK? (11 Feb)

Keir Starmer 39% (+3)
    Rishi Sunak 33% (-3)

Changes +/- 17-18 Jan

@mikeysmith

If I were a Tory man in a grey suit, I’d be having serious thoughts about a May election - not to win, but as the only way to stop the bleeding.

If I were a Tory man in a grey suit, I would be wondering how I could get into the House of Lords before the election, and how much the donation to the party would be.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,785
    Scott_xP said:

@RedfieldWilton

Keir Starmer 39% (+3)
    Rishi Sunak 33% (-3)

Changes +/- 17-18 Jan

@mikeysmith

https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1757811944827081176?t=pibzdm6kX3Eb18JljDCCxw&s=19

On this MRP?

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,892

It's just TSE trolling Brexiteers (or what's left of us) :D
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,792

kinabalu said:

Yes if the US pulls the plug Europe will have to organize its own defence. This can't be individual nations all with beefed-up militaries under separate command - that'd be nuts on every level - therefore you're looking at a Pan-European military under joint control. We should be (and would be) a part of this, a big part.

Beefed up militaries under separate command is a strength not a weakness. Diversity is a strength, not a weakness. Redundancy is a strength, not a weakness.

Having a solitary critical control point is a weakness. A critical one.
    See WW2 for how it can work. D-Day - three national armies invaded Normandy, without a formal alliance, under a unified command structure. No need to make it too complex.
    You say without a formal alliance, but 2 of them had the same head of state.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    Nigelb said:

What could possibly more uniquely American than a shooting taking place at a parade celebrating a football team winning the Super Bowl? We can’t continue living like this. This is what happens when elected officials refuse to act on gun violence. We’ve had f*cking enough of this.
    https://twitter.com/Victorshi2020/status/1757864284519100587

If there's one thing more certain than British politicians doing nothing meaningful to deal with our ludicrous housing shortage, it's American politicians doing nothing meaningful about firearms. The American addiction to guns is even more intractable than the British addiction to property speculation.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

ohnotnow said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Some sort of European version of Nato minus the United States would seem more likely.

In other news and I'm sorry if this has already been posted but we have footage of a police officer in Edinburgh telling a Jewish person to hide their star of David as it may 'trigger' a group of protesters. Why aren't you all as angry about this as you are with the Tories and their failings?

https://twitter.com/antisemitism/status/1757759542551548181

'At a rally in Edinburgh, a PoliceScotland officer asked a Jewish bystander to hide his Star of David, to avoid “triggering” the protesters.

The police officer is clearly worried that he and his colleagues are heavily outnumbered and that these protesters could pose a threat to Jews, but his response was effectively to stop a passing Jewish man and ask him to hide his identity before continuing on his way.

Whose rights are actually being protected here, those of law-abiding people or those of mobs of extremists who might be “triggered” by people being Jewish in public?'

Amongst UK police forces, Police Scotland are known for being rather shambolic, and are suffering from reduced funding aiui.

I'm sure that @Eabhal has more stories than I do, but I note a case last year when Police Scotland downgraded a prosecution from Dangerous Driving to Careless Driving with the reason given to the victim that 'the driver could not remember the incident'.

Police Scotland had been supplied with video evidence.

There are other lackadaisical, deliberately crime-tolerating, or possibly corrupt police forces (North Lincs is imo one for road crime, and there are a couple of others), but Police Scotland have big problems.
    It's the lack of dashcam portal submission system. This has been a source of huge productivity growth for other forces in the face of large cuts to traffic policing.

Like usual in Scotland, the police are developing their own portal system rather than just C&P the ones used in England. I've found the police officers I've dealt with highly professional for road traffic offences though, despite needing my signature approximately 20 times per offence.

Sentencing is a bigger issue. Life changing injuries. 12 months ban, £500 fine. I'm entirely against prison sentences for most offences; this is where a lifetime ban needs to be applied: www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-cyclist-life-changing-injuries-32084340.amp
    It's very bad, you'll be surprised to learn.
    Is this the thing being piloted in Dundee?
    You will have to ask @DavidL. If it doesn’t work it will be despite the SNP. Ifit doesn’t work, it will be the SNP’s fault.
  • Options
    RunDeepRunDeep Posts: 77
    kjh said:

@kinabalu last thread re cats the word used was 'entice an animal' and the example given was as you described and they even interviewed a women who confronted a neighbour who let her cat into their house. Your only hope in avoiding getting banged up in future is the fact that, like most, a barrister interviewed on the program went into full rant mode as to how stupid the proposal was quoting the queue in court for rape cases and we shouldn't be concerned about prosecuting people if cats find a new part time owner.

I think you are ok, but if you cross anyone here they might shop you to the plod. Your own fault by declaring your criminal activities on a public forum. :smiley:

The fool who drafted that Bill has clearly never even met a cat let alone "owned" one.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@RedfieldWilton

Keir Starmer 39% (+3)
    Rishi Sunak 33% (-3)

Changes +/- 17-18 Jan

@mikeysmith

The red wall were used to being ignored. Johnson promised them better. The Tories shit all over themas usual. The Tories have lost the red wall for ever.
    This is a Blue Wall poll, not Red Wall.

Doomed, doomed...

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,368
    The Scottish Nationalists have found the latest controversy that they want to concentrate on. Apparently those students of Scottish history have discovered that the cafe in Edinburgh Castle is called the Redcoat Cafe. In fact it has been called that since it opened nearly 30 years ago.

Clearly changing this calumny is now a priority for the Scottish Government.

I feel somewhat ambivalent. When they are wasting time on this nonsense at least they are not screwing up something more important.
  • Options

Some sort of European version of Nato minus the United States would seem more likely.

In other news and I'm sorry if this has already been posted but we have footage of a police officer in Edinburgh telling a Jewish person to hide their star of David as it may 'trigger' a group of protesters. Why aren't you all as angry about this as you are with the Tories and their failings?

'At a rally in Edinburgh, a PoliceScotland officer asked a Jewish bystander to hide his Star of David, to avoid “triggering” the protesters.

The police officer is clearly worried that he and his colleagues are heavily outnumbered and that these protesters could pose a threat to Jews, but his response was effectively to stop a passing Jewish man and ask him to hide his identity before continuing on his way.

Whose rights are actually being protected here, those of law-abiding people or those of mobs of extremists who might be “triggered” by people being Jewish in public?'

They'll be telling women not to go out at night or wear short skirts next.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The Scottish Nationalists have found the latest controversy that they want to concentrate on. Apparently those students of Scottish history have discovered that the cafe in Edinburgh Castle is called the Redcoat Cafe. In fact it has been called that since it opened nearly 30 years ago.

I feel somewhat ambivalent. When they are wasting time on this nonsense at least they are not screwing up something more important.

They should rename it Longshanks.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,844
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@RedfieldWilton

Keir Starmer 39% (+3)
    Rishi Sunak 33% (-3)

Changes +/- 17-18 Jan

@mikeysmith

https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1757811944827081176?t=pibzdm6kX3Eb18JljDCCxw&s=19

On this MRP?

Amongst many highlights, the best thing about that MRP is Fareham & Waterlooville - Labour.

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,141

DavidL said:

Thatchers...
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,764

Scott_xP said:

@RedfieldWilton

Keir Starmer 39% (+3)
    Rishi Sunak 33% (-3)

Changes +/- 17-18 Jan

@mikeysmith

If I were a Tory man in a grey suit, I would be wondering how I could get into the House of Lords before the election, and how much the donation to the party would be.
    I thought it was £35k. I've written my cheque but haven't posted it yet. It could be down to £25k next week and I wouldn't want to enter the House of Lords looking like a patsy.
  • Options
    MJW said:

I'm convinced the public authorities now try and go for an easy life rather than stand up for what's right and risk dealing with violence.

In their defence they probably get little protection, cover or support from their superiors for the latter, but that's not an excuse.
    It's hard but the police are there to maintain order, not to take sides in a potential riot. Possibly they were too cautious. Yesterday someone posted a picture of a Genocide poster near Wes Streeting's office. I happened to be there yesterday and there are also Palestinian flags flying from several lampposts. But there was no damage to or graffiti on the Jewish community centre there, and so far as I know, nor was there to Streeting's office.

Probably there was no danger from the crowd but if there had been, what then?
    The police are supposed to protect the public.

'Takes sides in a potential riot?' WTF?

Do you think it okay for Jewish people to display their identity in public? Or would it be better if they didn't so we can all have an easy life.
    Yes, I think it is OK. And if you read what I said, it was that the danger was most likely all in the police's head. But if it wasn't, what then?

Forget the Middle East. Let's imagine they were policing the Old Firm Game and three Rangers fans stumbled across thousands of Celtic fans. Would half a dozen coppers be able to hold the line or might they suggest that perhaps the Rangers trio took their scarves off?
    Don't football clubs also have to pay for their own policing? Perhaps that might be part of the answer for the protests?
    Don't police need to uphold the right to protest? And for all that the Middle East has got people overwrought and demonstrating for and against things that are not in the control of people here, there have been no riots and no deaths. This is not the poll tax or the miners' strike.
    Yes but when the police themselves are saying it might not be safe for someone to be showing their identity in public it's hard not to take the threat seriously.

'People overwrought' 'for and against things'

You make it sound like the threat is inter communal violence based on a foreign conflict. The attempt at two sidesism is pathetic. The threat perceived or otherwise comes entirely from one side. The fear is entirely on the other. Can't you acknowledge that?
    There was an Islamic school round here that had to close for a couple of days following threats but it is not about keeping score. And what fear are you talking about? If the Jews in your Scottish example were afraid, they'd not have been wearing Stars of David in the first place. They were not afraid, they were not hiding their identity, it was the police who worried things might kick off in a way that, so far, they have not.
    Are you listening to what British Jews have been saying for months? Many admit to hiding their identity in public. Many don't want to go into central London at weekends. Their schools and religious buildings get more police protection than those of others for a reason. Do you think pro Palestine types like Jeremy Corbyn are getting the same scale of abuse that those on the other side get? Yes I'm sure you can come up with the odd anecdote but if you cannot see this disparity then you are willfully blind.
    If they actually listened and became aware of the horror of how they are behaving there would very much be an "Are we the baddies?" moment.
    What exactly are British Jews living in a Scottish city doing that would make them the "baddies"?
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Nigelb said:

What could possibly more uniquely American than a shooting taking place at a parade celebrating a football team winning the Super Bowl? We can’t continue living like this. This is what happens when elected officials refuse to act on gun violence. We’ve had f*cking enough of this.
    https://twitter.com/Victorshi2020/status/1757864284519100587

If there's one thing more certain than British politicians doing nothing meaningful to deal with our ludicrous housing shortage, it's American politicians doing nothing meaningful about firearms. The American addiction to guns is even more intractable than the British addiction to property speculation.
    It's a tough battle for those who do want to do something.
    Given the composition of the Supreme Court, it would take a legislative supermajority to make any significant difference.

And as we know, Congress is essentially 50/50 between those who care about the victims, and those who don't.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    Public services are shit 74b:

Seven minute waits on 999 calls to Staffs police tonight to report a traffic incident.

Just as well it wasn’t particularly serious. But suppose it had been?
  • Options

DavidL said:

FREEDOM!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,123
    ydoethur said:

Seven minute waits on 999 calls to Staffs police tonight to report a traffic incident.

They’re too busy with terrierism.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

ohnotnow said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

Amongst UK police forces, Police Scotland are known for being rather shambolic, and are suffering from reduced funding aiui.

I'm sure that @Eabhal has more stories than I do, but I note a case last year when Police Scotland downgraded a prosecution from Dangerous Driving to Careless Driving with the reason given to the victim that 'the driver could not remember the incident'.

There are other lackadaisical, deliberately crime-tolerating, or possibly corrupt police forces (North Lincs is imo one for road crime, and there are a couple of others), but Police Scotland have big problems.
    It's the lack of dashcam portal submission system. This has been a source of huge productivity growth for other forces in the face of large cuts to traffic policing.

Like usual in Scotland, the police are developing their own portal system rather than just C&P the ones used in England. I've found the police officers I've dealt with highly professional for road traffic offences though, despite needing my signature approximately 20 times per offence.

Sentencing is a bigger issue. Life changing injuries. 12 months ban, £500 fine. I'm entirely against prison sentences for most offences; this is where a lifetime ban needs to be applied: www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-cyclist-life-changing-injuries-32084340.amp
    You will have to ask @DavidL. If it doesn’t work it will be despite the SNP. Ifit doesn’t work, it will be the SNP’s fault.
    Sorry, not aware of this. Is this a new portal system for the classification of road traffic offences? I am aware that death by dangerous driving is being given a higher priority now but this is a Scotland wide feature.

In reality, most road traffic offences that used to clutter the lower courts are no longer being prosecuted at all. Police numbers are apparently at a record low and seem to spend most of their time dealing with hate crimes on the internet.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Off topic. But. When pet food suppliers email you on Valentines afternoon to ask what you’re doing for your beloved dog today, even I begin to wonder whether that’s going too far.

No. That's not what Man's Best Friend is supposed to mean.
    We really need a picture with @IanB2 for scale!
    Last year, I did a rare thing for me, and posted some pictures on Facebook from a local walk I had done.
    One of the pictures was of a giant "bicycle" with a large metal frame and stone wheels (millstones I think).
    Some of my family said I had slipped up by leaving my back-pack in the picture, but it was deliberate - to give an idea of the scale - the bicycle seat was about 6 foot off the ground.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,510
    This header is some desperately cobbled together vapid bilge and a half.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

The Reverse Referendum.

https://x.com/conservatives/status/1757765026293719165?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

Starmer Chameleon: "Governing would be easy if your policies were like my dreams."
    Funny though that is, if you were 15 when Karma Chameleon came out, then you're close to retirement age now.

If you're 35 years old, then that song was released almost a decade before you were born. Your chances of having heard it (or of it) can't be particularly high.
    Close to retirement age is roughly where the swing voters are, right now.

Bigger problem is that voters mostly don't mind too much when politicians change what they say in opposition. See Dave the Chameleon.

They're a bit less happy when there's a contradiction between what they say and what they do in government, but even that tends to be forgiven as long as it turns out fine in the end.
  • Options
    BournvilleBournville Posts: 303
    Nigelb said:

You might not have realised those aren't two of the more significant nations in the EU ?
    You might not have realised that every major European nation is already in NATO?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454
    DavidL said:

Quite a thing on social media. The castle looks like it will cave which will only encourage the bravehearts to target something else that offends their sensitivities. Grotesque and pathetic.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

The Reverse Referendum.

Bigger problem is that voters mostly don't mind too much when politicians change what they say in opposition. See Dave the Chameleon.

They're a bit less happy when there's a contradiction between what they say and what they do in government, but even that tends to be forgiven as long as it turns out fine in the end.
    The reason this attack on Starmer fails (see all polls) is that Sunak's Tories are somewhat inconsistent too. See HS2, green policy, scrapping "levelling up", immigration policy etc etc.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

You might not have realised that every major European nation is already in NATO?
    Well, Russia isn't...
  • Options

DavidL said:

Quite a thing on social media. The castle looks like it will cave which will only encourage the bravehearts to target something else that offends their sensitivities. Grotesque and pathetic.
    The castle did a better job at resisting in 1745. Possibly thanks to some redcoats.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,382
    No thread on the Mirror MRP?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Both Wight seats turn red...
  • Options
    Two other odd sentencing decisions:-

1. A 75 year old banker with thousands of child abuse pictures described as some of the worst the police had ever seen avoids jail. Why? https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/courts/4891438/dundee-banker-internet-access-david-todd/
    2. Mark Clowes puts his partner into a hot bath, a bath so hot she suffers "extensive scalding and 30% full-thickness burns", leaves her in it for hours even though she was incapable of getting out and he knew this and she dies from her injuries. He's convicted of negligent manslaughter but does not get a prison sentence. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c1w16lwl08go.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

It’s the morning thread.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Or on last minute Wellingborough and Kingswood betting? Any value in 16:1 for the Tories in Kingswood?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Surely that depends on your definition of "significant"?

• Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

We're ALL WIGHT!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

The Reverse Referendum.

The reason this attack on Starmer fails (see all polls) is that Sunak's Tories are somewhat inconsistent too. See HS2, green policy, scrapping "levelling up", immigration policy etc etc.
    If it wasn't for Prince Andrew surely the Grand Old Duke of York would be our national anthem by now.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

We Scots are thinking of opening a cafe in London called “You got fucked at Bannockburn”. I assume you will all be in favour.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,273
    ydoethur said:

If it was via a mobile, 112 would probably have been better.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

And the Greens pick up a second in Bristol
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955

DavidL said:

A castle should have a functioning blacksmith to give it a proper feel, and they could even sell the tools as souvenirs, under the brand Hammers of the Scots.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Off topic. But. When pet food suppliers email you on Valentines afternoon to ask what you’re doing for your beloved dog today, even I begin to wonder whether that’s going too far.

No. That's not what Man's Best Friend is supposed to mean.
    We really need a picture with @IanB2 for scale!
    Last year, I did a rare thing for me, and posted some pictures on Facebook from a local walk I had done.
    One of the pictures was of a giant "bicycle" with a large metal frame and stone wheels (millstones I think).
    Some of my family said I had slipped up by leaving my back-pack in the picture, but it was deliberate - to give an idea of the scale - the bicycle seat was about 6 foot off the ground.
    That’s a tall story.
  • Options

DavidL said:

We Scots are thinking of opening a cafe in London called “You got fucked at Bannockburn”. I assume you will all be in favour.
    "In the Year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland - starving and outnumbered - charged the fields of Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets; they fought like Scotsmen, and won their freedom."
  • Options

This header is some desperately cobbled together vapid bilge and a half.

Why? Is it not right wing enough for you?
  • Options

DavidL said:

I don't think you understand London if you think anyone would be bothered by that.
  • Options
    edited February 14

DavidL said:

Feels like a very different kind of business, but otherwise no notes from me.

But in all seriousness if it is true its been called that for nearly 30 years why has it only caused a fuss now? Things were far more tense 10 years ago.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,510
    I don't like Majorie Tayor Greene from what I've seen of her, and this clip she favours aggressive boorish name-calling over reasoned debate:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/watch-marjorie-taylor-greene-insults-lord-cameron/

However, since it was David Cameron she tells to kiss her arse, I'm fine with it.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Starmer! (Dog for scale).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Surely that depends on your definition of "significant"?

My definition of it is 'anything I deem important'.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

It's just TSE trolling Brexiteers (or what's left of us) :D
    Nah, it’s me taking the piss out of the French, twice.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,889

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

What's so surprising about landslides, with or without canids? Only to be expected with the combination of all this weather and the nature of IoW geology.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

But in all seriousness if it is true its been called that for nearly 30 years why has it only caused a fuss now? Things were far more tense 10 years ago.
    The only people who would even understand the name would be the people who have done their citizenship test recently, or Scots.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,870
    "Judge who let women who 'celebrated' October 7 attack with paraglider images walk free 'liked' anti-Israel post"

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/judge-liked-anti-israel-post-women-paraglider-images/
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,889

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

The only people who would even understand the name would be the people who have done their citizenship test recently, or Scots.
    Given the way Cumberland behaved, I'm surprised nobody on PB has tried to cancel him. They seem only too willing to cancel anyone otherwise.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

What's so surprising about landslides, with or without canids? Only to be expected with the combination of all this weather and the nature of IoW geology.
    Ventnor lost in a landslide.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,545

DavidL said:

Given the size and diversity of London, there must be a number of places named by the owners as a dig at the U.K. - colonial hostility and all.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894

Roger said:

Depends. The Star of David could be a religious symbol around the bystanders neck. It could equally be the Israeli flag. around his shoulders We have no way of knowing which it was. Though there should be nothing wrong with flag waving if it was a Pro Israeli rally with a man waving a Palestinian flag the police officer might do the same. Or even a Celtic flag in the middle of a bunch of Rangers supporters
    We are in a sad place if Jewish people can’t wear a Star of David in public.
    Freedom of speech is always an interesting one. It very much depends on which side you stand. My first demos as a student and voluntary photographer were ANL marches and no one had any regrets about the disruption caused. We felt the people were vile and I still do.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Given the way Cumberland behaved, I'm surprised nobody on PB has tried to cancel him. They seem only too willing to cancel anyone otherwise.
    Scots and Irish are uniquely exempt from equality.
  • Options

DavidL said:

We already sing that bloody dirge called Flower of Scotland at them in every rugby match. Isn't that enough?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Honestly, never did,
    But I'm willing to give it a go.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,242
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Oddly enough another catering facility at the castle is called the Jacobite, but really they should have called the cafe not the Redcoat but the Hanoverian to be properly balanced, seeing as it was a dynastic war anyway. All about who got to control the Redcoats.
    I hear the Black & Tans Bistro at Stormont does a roaring trade in Ulster fries.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,295
    I've seen a bee today and the camellia is out.

Spring at least two weeks early i reckon.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Not quite, but we had the biggest for decades recently just along the coast, closing one of the main roads into town, and two local roads and a footpath are still closed due to various smaller landslides. We’re getting nearer the sea, every day….
  • Options
    Some serious trolling from the Kremlin house elf.

Putin says he’d rather have Biden as President than Trump. “He’s more experienced, he’s predictable, he’s an old-school politician.”

He doubts Biden’s age makes him “incapable.” When they met Biden was “nothing of the sort.” “Who of us hasn’t banged their head on something?”

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1757882276363346005
  • Options

DavidL said:

Given the size and diversity of London, there must be a number of places named by the owners as a dig at the U.K. - colonial hostility and all.
    I was surprised, when visiting the William Wallace memorial at Smithfield, how little it was known about, even by the habituees of the local pubs.
  • Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169
    Tory mayor sacked for anti-Semitism. Why would Keir Starmer do this?
  • Options
    Dear god.

Nearly one in five Americans believe Taylor Swift-Biden conspiracy, poll finds
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/feb/14/taylor-swift-biden-psyop-conspiracy
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Putin says he’d rather have Biden as President than Trump. “He’s more experienced, he’s predictable, he’s an old-school politician.”

He doubts Biden’s age makes him “incapable.” When they met Biden was “nothing of the sort.” “Who of us hasn’t banged their head on something?”

Very convincing Vladimir.

Of course, after he completes his next two terms he'll be pretty aged himself.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Dear god.

Nearly one in five Americans believe Taylor Swift-Biden conspiracy, poll finds
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/feb/14/taylor-swift-biden-psyop-conspiracy

I'd heard at least 5% will select any option on a poll no matter how absurd or obviously silly our of sheer randomness or stupidity. This is well beyond that - around 40% of americans don't believe the results of elections, so 1 in 5 believing in that does not surprise in the slightest.
  • Options
    A

DavidL said:

I was surprised, when visiting the William Wallace memorial at Smithfield, how little it was known about, even by the habituees of the local pubs.
    There’s tons of London history like that. It it wasn’t for the blue plaques, lots of it would be completely invisible.

I had to tell my future wife (Peruvian) about the significance of 58 Grafton Way and the statues near by. Which she was living round the corner from.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

We already sing that bloody dirge called Flower of Scotland at them in every rugby match. Isn't that enough?
    IanB2 said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Not quite, but we had the biggest for decades recently just along the coast, closing one of the main roads into town, and two local roads and a footpath are still closed due to various smaller landslides. We’re getting nearer the sea, every day….
    Global warming means that a seafront property no longer command a premium.
  • Options
    edited February 14

A

DavidL said:

There’s tons of London history like that. It it wasn’t for the blue plaques, lots of it would be completely invisible.

I had to tell my future wife (Peruvian) about the significance of 58 Grafton Way and the statues near by. Which she was living round the corner from.
    I'm very much in favour of telling history through brief descriptions on plaques. You can walk through Westminster Hall and see metal plates on the floor and go "Oh, I see Nelson Mandela spoke here in 1996, that's interesting" then walk a few more steps and go "Oh, and they tried Charles I for high treason here too. Why are these plates placed so randomly?"
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,123
    Nigelb said:

Lots of replies from Americans who show no sign of appreciating his sarcasm.
  • Options
    The wolves are coming.

This is one hell of a political ad. Off the scale brilliant.

"Their solution. Every time. Cut jobs."

https://www.katrinaforussenate.com/wolves/v/wolves
  • Options
    Love it that Crawley and Duckett are 6'5" and 5'7".

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/feb/14/the-spin-england-openers-crawley-duckett-cricket
    ...The most impressive figures will follow in the next Test at Rajkot, though. Two more innings as a pair will take them to 27 together, making them England’s longest-lasting Test opening partnership since Andrew Strauss and Alastair Cook were kicking it together more than a decade ago. Rory Burns and Dom Sibley stuck it out for 26 innings, but they played a very different game to these two...
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,958
    Eabhal said:

ohnotnow said:

Eabhal said:

MattW said:

I think so, yes. The most cumbersome system imaginable.
  • Options
    Ban guns in the USA. It's the only solution.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

A

DavidL said:

I'm very much in favour of telling history through brief descriptions on plaques. You can walk through Westminster Hall and see metal plates on the floor and go "Oh, I see Nelson Mandela spoke here in 1996, that's interesting" then walk a few more steps and go "Oh, and they tried Charles I for high treason here too. Why are these plates placed so randomly?"
    A London tour stopping at only little known sights and blue plaques would be much more interesting than the usual Buckingham Palace, Houses of Parliament, Tower of London type of tour.
  • Options

The wolves are coming.

Very good ad, but 20%+ of Americans are locked into a right-wing bubble where they believe Taylor Swift is a psy-op agent. How do you stop that?
  • Options

The wolves are coming.

Cutting media and advertising jobs and reinvesting the savings into useful jobs would help our balance of payments.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    In Rochdale, Azhar Ali's leaflets for Labour went out in free Royal Mail delivery last night/this morning. I hear there are 24,000 postal voters in Rochdale - a third -
    much more than normal - & they'll get their ballots on Saturday.

https://x.com/michaellcrick/status/1757740079282368610?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
  • Options

The wolves are coming.

Very good ad, but 20%+ of Americans are locked into a right-wing bubble where they believe Taylor Swift is a psy-op agent. How do you stop that?
    The rationalists win the coming civil war?
  • Options

kle4 said:

A

DavidL said:

A London tour stopping at only little known sights and blue plaques would be much more interesting than the usual Buckingham Palace, Houses of Parliament, Tower of London type of tour.
    If you look on the web, people have created self guided tours round places like Bloomsbury based on the blue plaques.

There’s also https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/mobile-apps/
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,127

The wolves are coming.

The rationalists win the coming civil war?
    Cut jobs: be a twat

That’s a strong and clear message.

Like it ✊
  • Options

The wolves are coming.

I don't think most of them really believe it, they're just enjoying themselves by pretending to. But that in itself is very stupid.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The wolves are coming.

I don't think most of them really believe it, they're just enjoying themselves by pretending to. But that in itself is very stupid.
    I think it is comforting to think that, but when 20% say it I think we have to assume some number of that amount genuinely believe it.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Absolutely. Biden has nothing to lose. Change the constitution. Ban the fucking things and let Trump and his idiot followers argue otherwise.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Absolutely. Biden has nothing to lose. Change the constitution. Ban the fucking things and let Trump and his idiot followers argue otherwise.
    Have there ever been any polls regarding the banning of guns?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Have there ever been any polls regarding the banning of guns?
    Good question. I’d imagine there would be a small majority in favour of retaining them. But, fuck it. Leaders gotta lead. Ban the fucking things Biden and let Trump argue against it.
This discussion has been closed.