Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Today is Server Move Day – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

Scott_xP said:

A depressingly high number of technical problems can be solved with this sophisticated 2 step troubleshooting routine, developed over years of practical experience.

1. Is it plugged in?

2. Is it switched on?

My bill is in the post...

As I’ve mentioned previously, in the instructions for a pre-WWI gunnery fire control table (early electro mechanical computer) I found online, if a problem occurred -

1) switch off
    2) restore dials to start position
    3) wait a few seconds
    4) switch on

Over a century of “switch it off, wait, switch it on”
    Might be basically the same thing in a medieval manual about cannons.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,436
    Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

A depressingly high number of technical problems can be solved with this sophisticated 2 step troubleshooting routine, developed over years of practical experience.

1. Is it plugged in?

2. Is it switched on?

3. Try google

I've seen IT professionals do it, and why not?
    It is true these days that knowing what to Google (sic) is at least as useful as knowing the answer.

It is also true that no IT professional in search of an answer to a problem will use Bing...
    It’s the strength of your StackOverflow Fu that is critical.

A true expert can find the *right* answer there in seconds. Out of the 20 answers by idiots.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,948
    Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

1. Is it plugged in?

2. Is it switched on?

3. Try google

It is true these days that knowing what to Google (sic) is at least as useful as knowing the answer.

It is also true that no IT professional in search of an answer to a problem will use Bing...
    Ok, oldie - no-one uses google any more. Perplexity or ChatGPT all the way.

Google.

:: chuckles ::

:: cries ::
  • Options

My brother still has an Amiga 1200 - working, and I believe modified to connect to the interwebs.

That's not as rare as might seem, the A1200 is still surprisingly capable and there's still a lot of hardware and software development for it. My A1200/060 gets used most days, mainly for Internet Relay Chat and playing music.
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

I remember being in Dixons many years ago. Someone looking at a typewriter (yes). Salesperson wandered over sensing a sale.

"Urm - is this IBM compatible? I need it to be IBM compatible. For 'the disks'?"

"Yes! Sure! It's 100% IBM compatible!"

Ker-ching!

The same shop used to sell more Amiga's than AtariST's as they always advised potential customers it was easy to get pirate Amiga software down the local market. Kickback's all the way...

I don't think I ever bought a single game for the Amiga (nor anyone in my family), despite the family owning two in the house.

My brother still has an Amiga 1200 - working, and I believe modified to connect to the interwebs.
    This is why we can never be friends.

#AtariForever
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

1. Is it plugged in?

2. Is it switched on?

3. Try google

A true expert can find the *right* answer there in seconds. Out of the 20 answers by idiots.
    StackOverflow is, it seems, in financial trouble. Of their own making due to their odd rules and moderation policies.

And ChatGPT of course.
  • Options

That's not as rare as might seem, the A1200 is still surprisingly capable and there's still a lot of hardware and software development for it. My A1200/060 gets used most days, mainly for Internet Relay Chat and playing music.
    That might be the nerdiest thing I've read on here.
  • Options

77 year old male seeks young girl for fun and legal representation.

Must be at least as pretty as my daughter and open to be grabbed by the fanny.

Will be paid on a no win no fee basis or not at all.

That reminds me - where is Leon these days?
  • Options
    Damn, if only this had happened earlier it would have saved his campaign.

A US judge has sided with Florida Governor Ron DeSantis in his fight with Disney, rejecting a lawsuit that had accused the Republican of organising a campaign of "government retaliation"...

...the judge said state legislators had the right to make the changes and the company had failed to prove it faced any imminent harm from the governor.

In dismissing the suit, the judge wrote that courts cannot rule that a law is unconstitutional solely because lawmakers may have had an "illegitimate motivation" in enacting it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68157268
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I could go on about some length about using an AS400, or debugging a VAX if you're really interested?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

1. Is it plugged in?

2. Is it switched on?

As I’ve mentioned previously, in the instructions for a pre-WWI gunnery fire control table (early electro mechanical computer) I found online, if a problem occurred -

1) switch off
    2) restore dials to start position
    3) wait a few seconds
    4) switch on

Over a century of “switch it off, wait, switch it on”
    Might be basically the same thing in a medieval manual about cannons.
    “First shalt thou take out the Holy Fuse. Then, shalt thou count to twenty five. No more. No less. Twenty five shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shalt be five and twenty. Twenty Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou Twenty Two, excepting that thou then proceed to Twenty three. Twenty one is right out. Once the number twenty five, being the twenty-fifth number, be reached, then thou clearest the hangfire of thy Holy Petard of Antioch. And low, the hang fire being cleared, thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,347
    kle4 said:

biggles said:

Nigelb said:

What do we make of this ?
    It might be rude, and indeed unreasonable - but should it be criminalised ?

DPP appeals to supreme court in case of protesters who called MP ‘Tory scum’
    Exclusive: Move follows high court ruling that it was reasonable for them to have called Iain Duncan Smith the term
    https://www.theguardian.com/law/2024/jan/31/dpp-supreme-court-appeal-protesters-tory-scum-iain-duncan-smith

I dislike the idea of any unpleasant language being treated as criminal.

Racist language? Yes, ok maybe but I am not sure. But this? No. Taunting over Hillsborough or Munich? No.

Being a knob should have all sorts of consequences in life (in my latter two examples, being banned from football clubs perhaps) but not criminal records.
    As the great philosopher Simon Phoenix once stated:

You can't take away people's right to be assholes

In more legally expressions, emotive political subjects will engender a certain amount of obnoxious and insulting commentary, but to lose that would also mean much useful commentary may be lost, as valid points can be made in offensive ways.

Just rambling about Tory scum is not very useful or edgy in most cases, but the offence of 'using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour with intent' does seem rife for overuse.
    I agree. Any law that relies on police/CPS discretion to avoid rude people becoming criminals because they hurt someone’s feelings and no more, is bad law.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822

Republicans against Trump
    @RpsAgainstTrump
    ·
    3h
    NEW Quinnipiac poll 2024 GE:

Biden- 50%
    Trump- 44%

Biden will win the 2024 presidential election with a landslide (if Trump is the candidate) IMO.

The electorate will force the GOP to come to their senses (and remember I tipped Trump to become POTUS before anyone else on here in March 2015)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,076

@RpsAgainstTrump
    ·
    3h

Biden- 50%
    Trump- 44%

I was just about to post that.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

1. Is it plugged in?

2. Is it switched on?

3. Try google

StackOverflow is, it seems, in financial trouble. Of their own making due to their odd rules and moderation policies.

And ChatGPT of course.
    For coding and most IT questions ChatGPT (and others) are regurgitating StackOverflow, in the main.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,419

@RpsAgainstTrump
    ·
    3h

Biden- 50%
    Trump- 44%

I've liked that because it's really likeable.
    I’m getting this feeling Team Biden have been waiting for Trump to get the nomination in the bag, or all but sewn up, before properly campaigning against him.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    isam said:
    The threats being faced by our MPs are very alarming. Throw in on-going antisemitism and it's a toxic mix.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

It would appear that the server upgrade hasn't worked, as the site has been taken over by IT nerds and maths types. Where have the politicos gone?

This site as always full of IT nerds and maths types. Most of the time we hide it though but once in a while a thread appears that allow us to actual talk about it.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    After Aruba and Panama I am now in my 3rd new country - Guatemala. I met a tour guide who was overjoyed about the recent Presidential election there. There were originally 25 candidates with the ultimate winner getting 4% in the first opinion poll. He went on to come second in the real election and in to a run-off with an establishment candidate. He fought the election mostly via Tik-Tok and won a stunning victory. That would have been a good PB bet. It turns out he is the son of a former President who seems to have been the equivalent of Clement Atlee.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,823
    GIN1138 said:

isam said:
    The threats being faced by our MPs are very alarming. Throw in on-going antisemitism and it's a toxic mix.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

It would appear that the server upgrade hasn't worked, as the site has been taken over by IT nerds and maths types. Where have the politicos gone?

We were always posting here but Robert needs to reenable the module that hides our posts from normal people.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

isam said:
    On a similar theme, this is from Canada today:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/film-cineplex-shootings-1.7101036

Cineplex has cancelled screenings of a South Indian film following four drive-by shootings at theatres throughout the Greater Toronto Area the day it premiered.
  • Options

@RpsAgainstTrump
    ·
    3h

Biden- 50%
    Trump- 44%

I've liked that because it's really likeable.
    I’m getting this feeling Team Biden have been waiting for Trump to get the nomination in the bag, or all but sewn up, before properly campaigning against him.
    Also I reckon there are a fair few lefties out there who were holding on to hope that Biden was going to be replaced and were reluctant to give him their support in polls.
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

TimS said:

Back to server 1.

It does seem like the Conservatives have decided “don’t let Starmer take us back to square one” is a good slogan that will turn the election round for them. Here it is seen in the wild again today:

https://x.com/mailonline/status/1752491416993857760?s=46

Well, I'm convinced. Otherwise ... urm... we might be at square 4? Or -3? Or... something?

How does Rishi's spreadsheet work again?
    Square minus three is the same as square three of course.
    Which got me thinking.

2^2.1 is =4.287 (to 3dp) but -2^2.1 is not a number (according to Excel and my calculator). But:

1. How can you logically multiply 2 by itself a non-integer number of times? And...

2. If you can, shouldn't the answer to -2^2.1 be ±4.287 (to 3dp) where only the sign is indeterminant? It's got to have a value of 4.287 we just don't know if it's positive or negative.

Then again -2^2.1 is maybe 10% (0.1) of the way from positive (^2) to negative (^3), but that would imply that -2^2.5 = zero.

Then again I could just be spouting b*ll*cks. Again.
    You can better understand why -2^2.1 does not produce a real number by rewriting the power of 2.1 as a rational number i.e 21/10. Then 21 is the power and 10 is the root.
    Now an odd power of any negative number always gives you a negative number. eg The cube of -2^3=-8, -2^4=16, -2^5=-32 and so on, alternating between positive and negative results.
    That means that -2^21 gives you a negative number.
    Now to get a number to root 10 you first take the result of the number to root 2 (SQuare RooT), then take the square root of that result and keep going until you get the 10th root.
    But that means you are trying to take the square root of a negative number (several times over), and that can't give a real solution.

The same reasoning explains why -2^2.2 gives a real result, because -2^22 gives a positive result as 22 is even, so you do not subsequently have to take repeated square roots of a negative number.
    "-2^2.2 gives a real result"

Er... is that a wind-up?
    No, it was a really good explanation. The bit that may not have been clear is that a fractional index is of the form such that the numerator is the power and the denominator is the root.

A power of 22/10 works for a negative number as you can take that negative number to the power of 22 (not a problem), and you can find the 10th root (not a problem).

A power of 21/10 does not work for a negative number as you can take that negative number to the power of 21, which results in a negative number, but the even root of a negative number is beyond the scope of real numbers and into the realm of imaginary numbers.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Thank you. But that's not even scratching the surface. I'll admit to having designed my own graphics card for a 1980s computer, which is a good indicator of how far down that rabbit hole I've gone...
  • Options
    https://x.com/politics_polls/status/1752734015650402735

#NEW @MorningConsult / Bloomberg News Poll:

WISCONSIN
    Trump 43% (+8)
    Biden 35%
    Kennedy 10%
    Stein 2%
    West 0%
    MICHIGAN
    Trump 43% (+6)
    Biden 37%
    Kennedy 8%
    West 1%
    Stein 1%
    PENNSYLVANIA
    Trump 43% (+3)
    Biden 40%
    Kennedy 7%
    West 1%
    Stein 1%
    NORTH CAROLINA
    Trump 45% (+13)
    Biden 32%
    Kennedy 9%
    West 1%
    Stein 1%
    ARIZONA
    Trump 43% (+8)
    Biden 35%
    Kennedy 10%
    West 1%
    Stein 1%
    GEORGIA
    Trump 44% (+7)
    Biden 37%
    Kennedy 8%
    West 1%
    Stein 1%
    NEVADA
    Trump 43% (+12)
    Biden 31%
    Kennedy 12%
    Stein 2%
    West 1%

4,956 RV, 1/16-22
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891

ohnotnow said:

TimS said:

Back to server 1.

It does seem like the Conservatives have decided “don’t let Starmer take us back to square one” is a good slogan that will turn the election round for them. Here it is seen in the wild again today:

Well, I'm convinced. Otherwise ... urm... we might be at square 4? Or -3? Or... something?

Which got me thinking.

2^2.1 is =4.287 (to 3dp) but -2^2.1 is not a number (according to Excel and my calculator). But:

1. How can you logically multiply 2 by itself a non-integer number of times? And...

2. If you can, shouldn't the answer to -2^2.1 be ±4.287 (to 3dp) where only the sign is indeterminant? It's got to have a value of 4.287 we just don't know if it's positive or negative.

Then again -2^2.1 is maybe 10% (0.1) of the way from positive (^2) to negative (^3), but that would imply that -2^2.5 = zero.

You can better understand why -2^2.1 does not produce a real number by rewriting the power of 2.1 as a rational number i.e 21/10. Then 21 is the power and 10 is the root.
    Now an odd power of any negative number always gives you a negative number. eg The cube of -2^3=-8, -2^4=16, -2^5=-32 and so on, alternating between positive and negative results.
    Now to get a number to root 10 you first take the result of the number to root 2 (SQuare RooT), then take the square root of that result and keep going until you get the 10th root.
    But that means you are trying to take the square root of a negative number (several times over), and that can't give a real solution.

The same reasoning explains why -2^2.2 gives a real result, because -2^22 gives a positive result as 22 is even, so you do not subsequently have to take repeated square roots of a negative number.
    "-2^2.2 gives a real result"

Er... is that a wind-up?
    No, it was a really good explanation. The bit that may not have been clear is that a fractional index is of the form such that the numerator is the power and the denominator is the root.

A power of 22/10 works for a negative number as you can take that negative number to the power of 22 (not a problem), and you can find the 10th root (not a problem).

A power of 21/10 does not work for a negative number as you can take that negative number to the power of 21, which results in a negative number, but the even root of a negative number is beyond the scope of real numbers and into the realm of imaginary numbers.
    Technically the 10th root of a positive number will also have 8 imaginary (complex) solutions as well as 2 real ones...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,680
    edited February 1

kle4 said:

Thank you. But that's not even scratching the surface. I'll admit to having designed my own graphics card for a 1980s computer, which is a good indicator of how far down that rabbit hole I've gone...
    1980s computers are genuinely the best computers to use.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003
    OK.

You should all be redirected to the new server now.

Hooray
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003

ohnotnow said:

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

1. Is it plugged in?

2. Is it switched on?

3. Try google

And ChatGPT of course.
    For coding and most IT questions ChatGPT (and others) are regurgitating StackOverflow, in the main.
    Oh yeah, and most of the political answers it gives come from regurgitating Reddit.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

OK.

Hooray

Huzzah!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

isam said:
    Majority went down to under 2k in 2017, that seat is a goner unless there's epic confusion over the main challenger.

That'll be up to 86 MPs standing down so far, almost dead on the average between 1979-2010. But considering in 1997 it was 117 and in 2010 it was 149, I'm almost surprised it is not even more at this stage.

Turnover in the Commons is actually a lot higher than my memory makes it seem - even in 2017 15% seats changed MP one way or another.

One interesting calculation would be length of service of those standing down - according to the Commons Library it was around 18.5 years in 2019, but some youthful ones have definitely jumped this time.
    It's the reasons why Mike Freer is standing down which should concern us. In his constituency a few days ago a Somali man was arrested for shouting abuse and trying to stab people in a kosher food shop. Now the MP is standing down because of threats and violence by bullies.

In recent years two MPs have been killed; one was severely stabbed. Now another is forced out of public life because of his support for a vulnerable and frightened community.

It is appalling.
    I hadn't seen that.
    Not good at all.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/tory-minister-mike-freer-quits-230643252.html
    ...The MP said he has received “several serious threats to my personal safety” since being elected to represent Finchley and Golders Green in north London in 2010.

The 63-year-old justice minster has said previously he narrowly missed a meeting with Ali Harbi Ali, who murdered fellow Tory MP David Amess, at his constituency office, and has since worn a stab vest at public events in the area.

The MP has said he was first targetted by a group called Muslims Against Crusades in 2011, who said the stabbing of Labour MP Stephen Timms should be “piercing reminder” to politicians that “their presence is no longer welcome in any Muslim area”.

He told The Daily Mail a suspected arson attack at the constituency office in December was “the last straw”.

In a statement posted on X, Freer said the events had “weighed heavily on me and my husband, Angelo”, and that “serious incidents are alongside the many ‘low level’ incidents”.

The MP, who has pro-Israel views and represents a heavily Jewish constituency, said: “No MP can operate effectively without the support of their spouse and wider family. Sadly the serious incidents place intolerable stress on them too.”..
  • Options
    Those of you interested in early integrated circuitry may like to view this YouTube on the F14' central fire computer, which could do much more than Apollo whilst doing high-g dogfight manoeuvres

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YpruA5mC7wg
  • Options

WISCONSIN
    Trump 43% (+8)
    Biden 35%
    Kennedy 10%
    Stein 2%
    West 0%
    MICHIGAN
    Trump 43% (+6)
    Biden 37%
    Kennedy 8%
    West 1%
    Stein 1%
    PENNSYLVANIA
    Trump 43% (+3)
    Biden 40%
    Kennedy 7%
    West 1%
    Stein 1%
    NORTH CAROLINA
    Trump 45% (+13)
    Biden 32%
    Kennedy 9%
    West 1%
    Stein 1%
    ARIZONA
    Trump 43% (+8)
    Biden 35%
    Kennedy 10%
    West 1%
    Stein 1%
    GEORGIA
    Trump 44% (+7)
    Biden 37%
    Kennedy 8%
    West 1%
    Stein 1%
    NEVADA
    Trump 43% (+12)
    Biden 31%
    Kennedy 12%
    Stein 2%
    West 1%

4,956 RV, 1/16-22

Pro Trump Republican mega donor Tim Mellon is now up to giving $15 million to the RFK Jr superPAC https://
    https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1752837946028208257
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

WISCONSIN
    Trump 43% (+8)
    Biden 35%
    Kennedy 10%
    Stein 2%
    West 0%
    MICHIGAN
    Trump 43% (+6)
    Biden 37%
    Kennedy 8%
    West 1%
    Stein 1%
    PENNSYLVANIA
    Trump 43% (+3)
    Biden 40%
    Kennedy 7%
    West 1%
    Stein 1%
    NORTH CAROLINA
    Trump 45% (+13)
    Biden 32%
    Kennedy 9%
    West 1%
    Stein 1%
    ARIZONA
    Trump 43% (+8)
    Biden 35%
    Kennedy 10%
    West 1%
    Stein 1%
    GEORGIA
    Trump 44% (+7)
    Biden 37%
    Kennedy 8%
    West 1%
    Stein 1%
    NEVADA
    Trump 43% (+12)
    Biden 31%
    Kennedy 12%
    Stein 2%
    West 1%

4,956 RV, 1/16-22

Pro Trump Republican mega donor Tim Mellon is now up to giving $15 million to the RFK Jr superPAC https://
    https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1752837946028208257
    RFK Jr.’s independent presidential campaign and his super PAC have raised a staggering $50 million. Half of the cash has come from two people.
    https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1752822985377845551
  • Options
    edited February 1
    Fascinating amicus brief in the insurrection case.
    https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/23/23-719/295994/20240118094034746_Trump v Anderson.pdf

How many knew about the 'First Insurrection' which shortly predated the Civil War ( the 'Second Insurrection') ?

Which included a plot to prevent the inauguration of Abraham Lincoln. ?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    rcs1000 said:

OK.

Hooray

"I like your attitude!" :)
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,290
    Lookin' good from Phnom Penh

Bravo Robert
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,409
    We have a new server and ssl certificate, and it is now next month which might explain why Youtube has just shown me two political adverts: one for the Electoral Commission on the need for photo ID on 2nd May (for the locals unless Rishi has a rush of blood to the head); and a long Labour advert that was basically a Kier Starmer speech with vague promises on five fronts, rinsed and repeated.
  • Options
    Fckin ell dildo kannping can be boring sometimes

Boring and lonely and repetitive. Day after day, the same, get up, work, stare out the window, sit in the sun, go to the mall and have an iced coffee, watch Griselda, sleep, repeat

On the other hand, it can be extremely lucrative, if I get it right, and pays for me to have fun rhe rest of the year, or indeed for multiple years

And so, to work
  • Options

WISCONSIN
    Trump 43% (+8)
    Biden 35%
    Kennedy 10%
    Stein 2%
    West 0%
    MICHIGAN
    Trump 43% (+6)
    Biden 37%
    Kennedy 8%
    West 1%
    Stein 1%
    PENNSYLVANIA
    Trump 43% (+3)
    Biden 40%
    Kennedy 7%
    West 1%
    Stein 1%
    NORTH CAROLINA
    Trump 45% (+13)
    Biden 32%
    Kennedy 9%
    West 1%
    Stein 1%
    ARIZONA
    Trump 43% (+8)
    Biden 35%
    Kennedy 10%
    West 1%
    Stein 1%
    GEORGIA
    Trump 44% (+7)
    Biden 37%
    Kennedy 8%
    West 1%
    Stein 1%
    NEVADA
    Trump 43% (+12)
    Biden 31%
    Kennedy 12%
    Stein 2%
    West 1%

4,956 RV, 1/16-22

I wouldn't pay too much attention to polling with Kennedy in it. If he manages to get on the ballot in those states somebody will spend some money explaining to the voters which Kennedy he is.

A pollster tested this by asking their sample to identify a picture of him. Among the ones who know who he is he drains votes from Trump, while among the ones who have mixed him up with a relative he drains votes from Biden.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,255

WISCONSIN
    Trump 43% (+8)
    Biden 35%
    Kennedy 10%
    Stein 2%
    West 0%
    MICHIGAN
    Trump 43% (+6)
    Biden 37%
    Kennedy 8%
    West 1%
    Stein 1%
    PENNSYLVANIA
    Trump 43% (+3)
    Biden 40%
    Kennedy 7%
    West 1%
    Stein 1%
    NORTH CAROLINA
    Trump 45% (+13)
    Biden 32%
    Kennedy 9%
    West 1%
    Stein 1%
    ARIZONA
    Trump 43% (+8)
    Biden 35%
    Kennedy 10%
    West 1%
    Stein 1%
    GEORGIA
    Trump 44% (+7)
    Biden 37%
    Kennedy 8%
    West 1%
    Stein 1%
    NEVADA
    Trump 43% (+12)
    Biden 31%
    Kennedy 12%
    Stein 2%
    West 1%

4,956 RV, 1/16-22

I wouldn't pay too much attention to polling with Kennedy in it. If he manages to get on the ballot in those states somebody will spend some money explaining to the voters which Kennedy he is.

A pollster tested this by asking their sample to identify a picture of him. Among the ones who know who he is he drains votes from Trump, while among the ones who have mixed him up with a relative he drains votes from Biden.
    Do many people know what RFK junior looks like, or are going to give much of their attention to supplementary poll questions? Lots of people are just going to tick Jnr for the picture of the younger man (Kennedy was 42 when he died, Junior is now 70).

The polling that includes just Kennedy as a third candidate doesn't tend to be very different to the head to head polling. But there's a consistent 2-3 % that West and Stein take from Biden when they are included.

Still I would look at the head to head polling - which in the same poll also shows Trump ahead in those states, but by a little less. The same poll shows Trump losing a lot of his vote in those states if convicted of a crime, how much notice to take of that is also questionable.

More positive for Biden - his net approval seems to be moving in the right direction over the last couple of weeks.
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 826
    edited February 1

ohnotnow said:

TimS said:

Back to server 1.

Which got me thinking.

By this logic, why not just treat 2.1 as 42/20?

Thanks Robert for the sever move!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ohnotnow said:

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

1. Is it plugged in?

2. Is it switched on?

3. Try google

And ChatGPT of course.
    Oh yeah, and most of the political answers it gives come from regurgitating Reddit.
    And when StackOverflow and Reddit start containing too high a percentage of language itself produced by ChatGPT? We'll just be swimming in an ocean of garbage, probably.
  • Options
    kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

ohnotnow said:

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

1. Is it plugged in?

2. Is it switched on?

3. Try google

And ChatGPT of course.
    And when StackOverflow and Reddit start containing too high a percentage of language itself produced by ChatGPT? We'll just be swimming in an ocean of garbage, probably.
    The future will just be AIs talking to each other, and we will simply look on. Eventually they will talk in language we do not understand, because it is too complex, and intelligent
  • Options
    Leon said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

ohnotnow said:

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

1. Is it plugged in?

2. Is it switched on?

3. Try google

And ChatGPT of course.
    The future will just be AIs talking to each other, and we will simply look on. Eventually they will talk in language we do not understand, because it is too complex, and intelligent
    In the near future it will be more like recycling plastic, after a couple of times recycling the plastic becomes unusable. Sorry.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    rcs1000 said:

Server moved.
    Everything updated to latest versions.
    New SSL certificate installed.
    New caching system implemented.
    Tailscale added.
    DNS updated.
    Old server points here as interim step.

Performance (ex-Vanilla) seems to be dramatically better.

All is good in the world.
    My PB server admin day is done.
    I just need to remember to turn off the old Rackspace server next week once everything is confirmed up and running.

Well done Sir, shiny new server all ready for a big election year.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

ohnotnow said:

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

1. Is it plugged in?

2. Is it switched on?

3. Try google

And ChatGPT of course.
    In the near future it will be more like recycling plastic, after a couple of times recycling the plastic becomes unusable. Sorry.
    Why are you apologising? I agree

In the near future this is going to be a real issue with AI. They are running out of data on which to train them. The greatest pessimists (optimists?) think this might actually be a massive obstacle to our creating true AGI, so far we’ve made incredible progress just by scaling up, what if we reach a limit of scaling

But I think that ignores evolutionary principles. The dinosaurs got bigger and bigger then hit a limit, but then they evolved into birds: and took to the air
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003
    viewcode said:

Those of you interested in early integrated circuitry may like to view this YouTube on the F14' central fire computer, which could do much more than Apollo whilst doing high-g dogfight manoeuvres

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YpruA5mC7wg

The CADC was the air data system NOT the "central fire computer". It was very reliable and quite transparent to the operator once you got used to its "opportunistic" wing sweep algorithm.

Weapons were controlled by the AN/AWG-15 computer which wasn't very reliable and a prick to replace because it was buried under several other LRUs that had to come out first. This lack of "one deep" avionics was one reason the Tomcat was so amazingly expensive to operate and informed a lot of the design decisions on the Shornet.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287

Republican Accountability
    @AccountableGOP
    ·
    2h
    Reporter: “Are you thinking of trying to use campaign funds to pay some of the penalties?”

Trump: “What penalties?”

Reporter: “In the New York fraud case and the defamation case.”

Trump: “I didn't do anything wrong. I mean, that's been proven as far as I'm concerned.”

https://twitter.com/AccountableGOP/status/1752789598496076229

Gosh.

That's actually worrying.

Even more so than usual.
  • Options
    File Under: OO-er

Humans prefer AI-generated copy, survey finds
    The survey of 700 U.S. consumers found that AI-generated content was preferred by humans more than human-generated content.

https://searchengineland.com/human-vs-ai-generated-content-survey-437062

• Options
    Leon said:

The survey of 700 U.S. consumers found that AI-generated content was preferred by humans more than human-generated content.

The grammar in that sentence is awful. If it's AI generated then international novelists shouldn't worry yet.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    ydoethur said:

@AccountableGOP
    ·
    2h
    Reporter: “Are you thinking of trying to use campaign funds to pay some of the penalties?”

Trump: “I didn't do anything wrong. I mean, that's been proven as far as I'm concerned.”

Gosh.

Even more so than usual.
    LOL. what were you expecting him to say " Im guilty as hell lock me up " ?

• Options
    The fight for the Bakhmut of the North East at the next GE is heating up in Hartlepool. As well as No More Mr Tice Guy, we now have far right termagant Anne-Marie Waters tossing her Stahlhelm into already congested ring for fucking UKIP! They still exist apparently.

It must be curtains for the tubby tory with the thick-as-shit vote now splitting three ways.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

@AccountableGOP
    ·
    2h

Gosh.

Even more so than usual.

Saying 'that's been proved as far as I'm concerned' is a whole different ball game from 'I maintain my innocence and will appeal.'

Because actually, if he claims he has proved his innocence when actually all he's basically done is rant about witch hunts without any evidence at all, that suggests either he's stupider than we all thought or that he's madder than we all thought.

Neither of which is great.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

ohnotnow said:

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

1. Is it plugged in?

2. Is it switched on?

3. Try google

And ChatGPT of course.

In the near future this is going to be a real issue with AI. They are running out of data on which to train them. The greatest pessimists (optimists?) think this might actually be a massive obstacle to our creating true AGI, so far we’ve made incredible progress just by scaling up, what if we reach a limit of scaling

But I think that ignores evolutionary principles. The dinosaurs got bigger and bigger then hit a limit, but then they evolved into birds: and took to the air
    No. The greatest 'pessimists' think that current LLM are not a route to true AI/AGI, and might be a technological dead-end; an evolved Eliza with exactly the same issues as those older systems.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

@AccountableGOP
    ·
    2h

Gosh.

Even more so than usual.

Saying 'that's been proved as far as I'm concerned' is a whole different ball game from 'I maintain my innocence and will appeal.'

Because actually, if he claims he has proved his innocence when actually all he's basically done is rant about witch hunts without any evidence at all, that suggests either he's stupider than we all thought or that he's madder than we all thought.

It's Trump. he's an unmitigated narcissist. Lots more of this to come, time to reset your expectations.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,359
    edited February 1
    As someone who.is largely technology ignorant.... how big is the server. Is it a cabin luggage case size , large suitcase or ?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,213
    viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

isam said:
    Indeed.
    A Labour member - Anne Clarke - of the London Assembly's reaction was to celebrate the announcement in a tweet actually attaching the Freer announcement. Threats of violence by extremists would seem to be ok if it forces Tories out. Let's hope the Labour leadership clearly condemns such behaviour and takes action against her.
  • Options

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

ohnotnow said:

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

1. Is it plugged in?

2. Is it switched on?

3. Try google

And ChatGPT of course.

No. The greatest 'pessimists' think that current LLM are not a route to true AI/AGI, and might be a technological dead-end; an evolved Eliza with exactly the same issues as those older systems.
    But that's exactly my analogy. The LLMs are dinosaurs getting bigger and bigger, but eventually they hit a cul de sac, they couldn't get any bigger

Did dinosaur evolution stop at that point? No. They grew feathers - archeopteryx - and now they are all around you, they are birds, and they can fly

Incidentally it looks like they have finally cracked self driving cars

Waymo expands

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/innovation/waymo-la-california-sf-los-angeles-rcna135335

"China challenges the west for driverless car supremacy"

https://www.ft.com/content/3a649978-69df-46eb-94c8-eee23a69e6bb

AUTONOMOUS VEHICLES ARE CATCHING UP FAST

https://mindmatters.ai/2024/01/autonomous-vehicles-are-catching-up-fast/

Fascinating video of a Tesla in action: autonomously

https://youtu.be/N9bJLDAAQxc?si=PEIoCfJbOh5qCwiz
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

@AccountableGOP
    ·
    2h

Gosh.

Even more so than usual.

Not necessarily either.
    He's running to overturn the rule of law.

That a significant number of Americans believe that the law should be whatever Trump says it is - and that the Republican Party has largely capitulated - is indeed disturbing.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Hamilton to Ferrari rumours again and I am here for it. Feels different this time…
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

The grammar in that sentence is awful. If it's AI generated then international novelists shouldn't worry yet.
    Wait til you see the shite 'copy' that humans had to choose between.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

That's likely written by a human. AI would do it better
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

isam said:
    Indeed.
    A Labour member - Anne Clarke - of the London Assembly's reaction was to celebrate the announcement in a tweet actually attaching the Freer announcement. Threats of violence by extremists would seem to be ok if it forces Tories out. Let's hope the Labour leadership clearly condemns such behaviour and takes action against her.
    Terrible. Do you have a link? Can't seem to find it.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001
    isam said:
    A stark contrast (the reason, of course, but also the tone) to Freeman’s self-pitying/aggrandising resignation in Norfolk; something you’d hope (in vain) would not be lost on the man.
  • Options
    Premier League assists 2023-24:

Garnacho and Anthony = 2 assists
    Connor Bradley = 3 assists

Bradley is a right back and played only 2 league games for Liverpool.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Cookie said:

Time to crack out my old favourite.
    Disk drive error warning.

Anyone remember where its from?

Has an air of Pratchett about it?
    I think it was Cannon Fodder. I used to love that game.
    Yes - cracking little game that.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,213
    kamski said:

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

isam said:
    Indeed.
    Here you go.

She has since deleted it, I understand.

Freer's Labour opponent in the constituency, Sarah Sackman, has been more gracious, thanking Freer for his years of service and saying how shocked she is by the threats.
  • Options
    Habba now an unperson for doing Trump’s bidding.

'Incompetent' Alina Habba dubbed 'deep state plant to destroy Donald Trump' in new theory
    https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1752850625191133680

The MAGA universe can admit no error.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    kamski said:

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

isam said:
    Indeed.
    Was to is doing alot of work isn’t it?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

isam said:
    Indeed.
    I would hope she is rapidly sanctioned for that.

Post from the Labour candidate.

https://twitter.com/sarahsackman/status/1752813172887576696
    I am shocked and sorry to hear that Mike Freer has decided to stand down at the next election and would like to thank him for his years of service to our community.
    We should have been able to face each other in the polls based on our ideas and merits. Instead, politics is now so often skewed by violent language, hate and the dangers of social media. I am determined for this to change…
  • Options
    You can see the future of urban transport here in Phnom Penh

Anyone who has been to urban Asia will know the "tuk tuk" - a little two-stroke three wheel motorised "rickshaw" - extremely handy in dense urban environments, able to nip about much easier than cars, BUT also considerably safer than mopeds and motorbikes, and you can carry luggage etc

Tuk-tuks in Phnom Penh (and Bangkok etc) have been Uberised. You can now summon them with an app like Grab. There are so many one will normally arrive, ready to go, within less than two minutes, often it is about 30 seconds - basically instantaneous

Using the app the driver takes you where you want to go (no language problem) and the payment is made from your phone/card, no money changes hands (like Uber)

It is a supremely efficient way of doing short-medium journeys in a big city

Now, combine the Uberised Tuk Tuk with self driving. It won't be hard to make tuk-tuks autonomous, if they can do cars (tuk tuks are lighter, they won't be used for long journeys, and so forth)

THAT is the future of urban transport. Self driving tuk tuks. Entire fleets of them (clean and electric, not two stroke) shuttling around cities, doing 80% of human journeys, to the shops and back, to the pub, and so on. At night the uberised autonomous tuk tuks will store themselves in underground garages

Thus the urban car becomes obsolete, for most people
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

ohnotnow said:

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

1. Is it plugged in?

2. Is it switched on?

3. Try google

And ChatGPT of course.

But that's exactly my analogy. The LLMs are dinosaurs getting bigger and bigger, but eventually they hit a cul de sac, they couldn't get any bigger

Did dinosaur evolution stop at that point? No. They grew feathers - archeopteryx - and now they are all around you, they are birds, and they can fly

Waymo expands

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/innovation/waymo-la-california-sf-los-angeles-rcna135335

No, it's precisely the *opposite* of your point. All these systems rely on massive data sets to try and fool us into believing they're intelligent. But there may well be a hard limit at which these systems cannot progress any further towards 'true' intelligence - because they're not.

Linking to 'Whole Mars Catalog' - a Musk and Tesla hype spam channel - is hilarious. It suffers the same problem as Jeremy Vine's cycling stupidity in reverse; they rarely, if ever, show the opposite to the 'reality' they want to present.

"AUTONOMOUS VEHICLES ARE CATCHING UP FAST"

Well over ten years ago, you claimed that there would be no lorry drivers within ten years. You were hilariously wrong. And you will continue to be wrong into the future, as you seem to believe press releases and hype over reality.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

kamski said:

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

isam said:
    Indeed.
    Here you go.

She has since deleted it, I understand.

Freer's Labour opponent in the constituency, Sarah Sackman, has been more gracious, thanking Freer for his years of service and saying how shocked she is by the threats.
    Thanks. On the face of it, it seems completely inexcusable. She doesn't seem to have any history of anti-semitism eg this article she wrote for Jewishnews:
    https://www.jewishnews.co.uk/opinion-we-must-support-israel-in-this-unprecedented-moment-of-terror-pain-and-suffering/
  • Options

As someone who.is largely technology ignorant.... how big is the server. Is it a cabin luggage case size , large suitcase or ?

It’s most likely to be a virtual server, simply a piece of software, one of many thousands of pieces of software running in a massive room full of racks of computers, and probably running on multiple servers in different locations for redundancy.

They do look cool though, at least the ones they let journalists take photos of do.
    https://www.cnet.com/pictures/photos-inside-a-microsoft-data-center/2/
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

ohnotnow said:

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

1. Is it plugged in?

2. Is it switched on?

3. Try google

And ChatGPT of course.

Waymo expands

No, it's precisely the *opposite* of your point. All these systems rely on massive data sets to try and fool us into believing they're intelligent. But there may well be a hard limit at which these systems cannot progress any further towards 'true' intelligence - because they're not.

Linking to 'Whole Mars Catalog' - a Musk and Tesla hype spam channel - is hilarious. It suffers the same problem as Jeremy Vine's cycling stupidity in reverse; they rarely, if ever, show the opposite to the 'reality' they want to present.

Well over ten years ago, you claimed that there would be no lorry drivers within ten years. You were hilariously wrong. And you will continue to be wrong into the future, as you seem to believe press releases and hype over reality.
    Perhaps you should tell the British government

"New laws to safely roll out self-driving vehicles across British roads

Self-driving vehicles will help make travel more convenient and accessible, improving the lives of millions of people who can not drive."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-laws-to-safely-roll-out-self-driving-vehicles-across-british-roads

Or the Chinese government

"China issues safety guidelines for autonomous public transport vehicles"

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/china-issues-safety-guidelines-autonomous-public-transport-vehicles-2023-12-05/

Or the US government

https://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/self-driving-vehicles

Or Singapore, or Korea, or Germany, or.

Or maybe we should all listen to some weird marathon-running freak in Stoke on Trent, who says it's not happening?
  • Options
    Well that's the Tories ending up with fewer than 50 MPs at the next election.

Tory plotters believe that Kemi Badenoch is best placed to succeed Rishi Sunak if they can manage to oust him in the coming months.

The business and trade secretary has accused the plotters of “stirring” and said that they need to “stop messing around and get behind the leader”.

However, the Tory rebels believe that Badenoch is the only candidate on the right who stands a chance of uniting the party and selling their policy platform.

Suella Braverman, the former home secretary, is seen as too divisive among Tory MPs but Badenoch is perceived to have star quality.

“The reaction to Suella is too vitriolic,” one MP familiar with the rebels’ thinking said. “She can’t run again. Kemi has the X factor, she has the capacity to cut through and communicate. She can carry off the policy platform that’s being drawn up.”

They said she had the “added benefit” of being hated by the European Research Group of Eurosceptic Tory MPs. Badenoch clashed with them after she was accused of watering down plans to repeal EU laws. The MP said: “The ERG hate her, which means she’s inoculated by the left. She can bring people together.”

Badenoch has had no involvement with the plotters and has gone out of her way to demonstrate her loyalty to Sunak and Downing Street. However, she has not ruled out another bid to be Tory leader should the opportunity arise.

The rebel group is based in central London. The members are said to be working with about ten Tory MPs as they draw up plans to remove Sunak from office.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-plot-to-replace-rishi-sunak-with-kemi-badenoch-she-has-x-factor-nznn6q260
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

ohnotnow said:

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

1. Is it plugged in?

2. Is it switched on?

3. Try google

And ChatGPT of course.

Waymo expands

I've shot a video in an autonomous vehicle - the parking pods at Heathrow. Whilst I'm holding this one in reserve for a week where I don't have any other content ready, I conclude that whilst the technology may be ready, society isn't. If I crash on Autopilot the law is clear - I am responsible. What if my car crashes whilst on Robotaxi duty and nobody is in the car? Who is liable then?

We just don't have an answer to that rather basic question.

Much more fun was Tesla loaning me a new Model 3 Highland overnight to shoot a review. Plebs get an hour, I got 18 hours....
  • Options

Hamilton to Ferrari rumours again and I am here for it. Feels different this time…

Personally, if I were in his shoes I’d stick with the team that’s won a hatful of championships in the past decade, rather than the team that hasn’t won since 2008 while regularly throwing away good results with poor strategy and unreliability.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

ohnotnow said:

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

1. Is it plugged in?

2. Is it switched on?

3. Try google

And ChatGPT of course.

Waymo expands

Self-driving vehicles will help make travel more convenient and accessible, improving the lives of millions of people who can not drive."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-laws-to-safely-roll-out-self-driving-vehicles-across-british-roads

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/china-issues-safety-guidelines-autonomous-public-transport-vehicles-2023-12-05/

Or the US government

Or maybe we should all listen to some weird marathon-running freak in Stoke on Trent, who says it's not happening?
    'marathon-running' yes ha ha brilliant, you've convinced me now.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

'Incompetent' Alina Habba dubbed 'deep state plant to destroy Donald Trump' in new theory

One of these days I’m going to write my screenplay about Scaramucci’s ten days as White House DoC (working title: THE MOOCH); I reckon you could capture everything about the Trump regime in that nutshell, plus lots of dark comedy potential.
  • Options

Well that's the Tories ending up with fewer than 50 MPs at the next election.

Tory plotters believe that Kemi Badenoch is best placed to succeed Rishi Sunak if they can manage to oust him in the coming months.

The business and trade secretary has accused the plotters of “stirring” and said that they need to “stop messing around and get behind the leader”.

However, the Tory rebels believe that Badenoch is the only candidate on the right who stands a chance of uniting the party and selling their policy platform.

Suella Braverman, the former home secretary, is seen as too divisive among Tory MPs but Badenoch is perceived to have star quality.

“The reaction to Suella is too vitriolic,” one MP familiar with the rebels’ thinking said. “She can’t run again. Kemi has the X factor, she has the capacity to cut through and communicate. She can carry off the policy platform that’s being drawn up.”

They said she had the “added benefit” of being hated by the European Research Group of Eurosceptic Tory MPs. Badenoch clashed with them after she was accused of watering down plans to repeal EU laws. The MP said: “The ERG hate her, which means she’s inoculated by the left. She can bring people together.”

Badenoch has had no involvement with the plotters and has gone out of her way to demonstrate her loyalty to Sunak and Downing Street. However, she has not ruled out another bid to be Tory leader should the opportunity arise.

The rebel group is based in central London. The members are said to be working with about ten Tory MPs as they draw up plans to remove Sunak from office.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-plot-to-replace-rishi-sunak-with-kemi-badenoch-she-has-x-factor-nznn6q260

They are completely insane

Also, Badenoch is even more completely insane if she goes along with this, it will end her career, because the Tories will still go down to a massive defeat, and then she will have to resign

Their only hope is to stick with Sunak, do some tax cuts, fix the bloody boats, and somehow scrape to 30% in the GE and make 150-200 seats. A bad defeat, but not apocalyptic

They seem to PREFER the apocalypse
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,394
    geoffw said:

Just been watching Putin's War on the iPlayer. Quite gripping and also terrifying even though we've been watching it in real time. Boris, Liz and baldy Ben come over well - but MRD applies

I saw that too.

It's a great series.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Personally, if I were in his shoes I’d stick with the team that’s won a hatful of championships in the past decade, rather than the team that hasn’t won since 2008 while regularly throwing away good results with poor strategy and unreliability.
    It's fake news.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/1012104/lewis-hamilton-mercedes-f1-return-for-marc-hynes-2024-season/
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

tbf this theory is a lot more plausible than most of the shite they come up with.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,986
    Bookmark this thread for the next time some implausible claim is made about the capabilities of AI.

https://x.com/doctorow/status/1752623333932220812?s=20

https://t.co/o9cILp7WMG
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,409
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Server moved.
    Everything updated to latest versions.
    New SSL certificate installed.
    New caching system implemented.
    Tailscale added.
    DNS updated.
    Old server points here as interim step.

Performance (ex-Vanilla) seems to be dramatically better.

All is good in the world.
    My PB server admin day is done.
    I just need to remember to turn off the old Rackspace server next week once everything is confirmed up and running.

Well done Sir, shiny new server all ready for a big election year.
    The new server should have bedded in nicely by January 2025.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Ferrari cements the legend, nobody gives a fuck if he wins another title with Mercedes or not. Senna always wanted to finish his career there. 2026 will shake up the established order with the rule changes (no more MGU-H, etc.) so 2025 to learn the car and the team then fight for the title in 2026 must be the plan.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

ohnotnow said:

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

1. Is it plugged in?

2. Is it switched on?

3. Try google

And ChatGPT of course.

Waymo expands

I've shot a video in an autonomous vehicle - the parking pods at Heathrow. Whilst I'm holding this one in reserve for a week where I don't have any other content ready, I conclude that whilst the technology may be ready, society isn't. If I crash on Autopilot the law is clear - I am responsible. What if my car crashes whilst on Robotaxi duty and nobody is in the car? Who is liable then?

We just don't have an answer to that rather basic question.

Much more fun was Tesla loaning me a new Model 3 Highland overnight to shoot a review. Plebs get an hour, I got 18 hours....
    Yes, I agree

The technology is basically there, now. But serious legal issues remain - however, the Chinese Govt is determined to overcome them (see that FT article) because they believe the first country to universalise self-driving will make massive productivity gains and be able to sell on the tech to others (plus you get safer roads, and all that). So I reckon it will get done

This is also why self-driving tuk-tuks are a brilliant answer. Much lighter, slower, far less dangerous. If a tuk tuk hits another tuk tuk it's like bumper cars rather than Death Race 2000
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    ohnotnow said:

Scott_xP said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

1. Is it plugged in?

2. Is it switched on?

I remember the time an elderly family friend called me in because the PC from a local independent specialist wasn't working properly despite having just beem checked and delivered. Took me over an hour to spot the almost invisible slider switch on the bottom of the keyboard that switched on the IR beam. MInd, I got a roast pork dinner for my pains.
    I ended up on a train sitting behind 2 consultants from a rival IT outsourcing company on their way to an "important client meeting" to give an "important presentation" but they had run into a snag...

The presentation was on laptop A, but they needed it on laptop B.

The only mechanism for transfer they could come up with was IR, but neither of them could find the transceivers on either laptop.

I was able to put them out of their misery, but unable to collect my HUGE fee for doing so.
    I remember being in Dixons many years ago. Someone looking at a typewriter (yes). Salesperson wandered over sensing a sale.

"Urm - is this IBM compatible? I need it to be IBM compatible. For 'the disks'?"

"Yes! Sure! It's 100% IBM compatible!"

Ker-ching!

The same shop used to sell more Amiga's than AtariST's as they always advised potential customers it was easy to get pirate Amiga software down the local market. Kickback's all the way...

Our church has a notice asking people not to flush STs down the loo, but to put them in the bin instead. Every time I see it I think it must have been written by an Amiga owner.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

isam said:
    Indeed.

I am shocked and sorry to hear that Mike Freer has decided to stand down at the next election and would like to thank him for his years of service to our community.
    We should have been able to face each other in the polls based on our ideas and merits. Instead, politics is now so often skewed by violent language, hate and the dangers of social media. I am determined for this to change…
    I say some negative things about some MPs. But even the thickest ones are trying to be public servants. The worst thing about the weaponisation of stupidity and ignorance in society is that people get angry and seek simple solutions. And one solution seemingly given the green light is to actually attack someone - psychologically and occasionally physically.

MPs are human beings with feelings. Yes, even Gullis has feelings. We need to deweaponise politics - and the first step is to kick the Tories out and start trying to build some positivity in our politics. And the second step is kick the SNP out and do the same.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

ohnotnow said:

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

1. Is it plugged in?

2. Is it switched on?

3. Try google

And ChatGPT of course.

Waymo expands

Or the US government

And I live in Cambridge, not Stoke. In fact, I've only ever been to Stoke a few times. Derby was much more my scene. :)

I do wonder about the mentality of someone who sees "marathon running" as an insult. Not that I've done one in a few months...
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

viewcode said:

GIN1138 said:

isam said:
    Indeed.

I say some negative things about some MPs. But even the thickest ones are trying to be public servants. The worst thing about the weaponisation of stupidity and ignorance in society is that people get angry and seek simple solutions. And one solution seemingly given the green light is to actually attack someone - psychologically and occasionally physically.

MPs are human beings with feelings. Yes, even Gullis has feelings. We need to deweaponise politics - and the first step is to kick the Tories out and start trying to build some positivity in our politics. And the second step is kick the SNP out and do the same.
    Gullis supposedly far nicer in person than his public persona suggests.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Bookmark this thread for the next time some implausible claim is made about the capabilities of AI.

https://x.com/doctorow/status/1752623333932220812?s=20

https://t.co/o9cILp7WMG

That first TwiX thread is one of the purest examples of Musk Derangement Syndrome I have ever seen

He actually calls Musk "profoundly lazy"

https://x.com/doctorow/status/1752623355444826417?s=20

Yes, of course. Everything we have seen from Musk says that he basically sits on his arse in his undercrackers eating cheesy wotsits, and wanking to Xvideos, he never does ANYTHING
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

kamski said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

ohnotnow said:

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

1. Is it plugged in?

2. Is it switched on?

3. Try google

And ChatGPT of course.

Waymo expands

Or the US government

And I live in Cambridge, not Stoke. In fact, I've only ever been to Stoke a few times. Derby was much more my scene. :)

I do wonder about the mentality of someone who sees "marathon running" as an insult. Not that I've done one in a few months...
    Or, for that matter, Stoke on Trent. Maybe he is confusing you with BR?
  • Options
    Elon Musk: PROFOUNDLY LAZY

lol
This discussion has been closed.