Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters largely staying with Trump in the WH2024 betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,768
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Doesn't look remotely like Haley is gonna throw the towel in just yet.

With no one else staying in she might as well. She only has a chance in the event of a Trump coronary, but despite her not really bringing out the strong attacks on Trump until quite recently (she couldn't if she wanted as much support as she managed), it's not as though she will still have a career when he wins, he won't forgive the things she has said and she cannot offer him anything to change that.

So if she is actually trying to stop Trump (even if she cannot say that), then she should stay in as long as she can afford it, because it drives him nuts.

I'd assume in reality she will try to stay in until Super Tuesday, then roll in behind him.
    Within the next 72 hours, Trump is going to lose his ability to do business in New York, have a close-on half billion loss of wealth - and also lose his much-vaunted mantle of being some business genius. He's just going to be shown up for the tawdry huckster he is.

Some scales are going to fall from eyes, so Haley might as well stay in.
    The idea that a court decision on a dubious case will "show him up" is wishful thinking. It's more likely to show the New York legal system up.

https://apnews.com/article/trump-fraud-business-law-courts-banks-lending-punishment-2ee9e509a28c24d0cda92da2f9a9b689
    I couldn't agree more: every court case reinforces his message that the elites are trying to prevent ordinary people having a voice. Had there been no court cases, we might well have been looking at a DeSantis victory in Iowa, and a Haley one in New Hampshire.
    It’s a little like the boy who cried wolf. While there may be something in some of the cases, so much more of it comes across as nakedly politically motivated by partisan actors.

It all reinforces Trump’s message to his supporters, and even to some floating voters, that the apparatus of the State can be politicised and *they* can come for whoever they want.
    So you're calling three grand juries which returned indictments against Trump nakedly partisan actors ?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    rcs1000 said:
    I'm amused that a man who threw doubt on the Covid vaccines is saying "Here, put a chip in your brain..."
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

With no one else staying in she might as well. She only has a chance in the event of a Trump coronary, but despite her not really bringing out the strong attacks on Trump until quite recently (she couldn't if she wanted as much support as she managed), it's not as though she will still have a career when he wins, he won't forgive the things she has said and she cannot offer him anything to change that.

So if she is actually trying to stop Trump (even if she cannot say that), then she should stay in as long as she can afford it, because it drives him nuts.

I'd assume in reality she will try to stay in until Super Tuesday, then roll in behind him.
    Within the next 72 hours, Trump is going to lose his ability to do business in New York, have a close-on half billion loss of wealth - and also lose his much-vaunted mantle of being some business genius. He's just going to be shown up for the tawdry huckster he is.

The idea that a court decision on a dubious case will "show him up" is wishful thinking. It's more likely to show the New York legal system up.

https://apnews.com/article/trump-fraud-business-law-courts-banks-lending-punishment-2ee9e509a28c24d0cda92da2f9a9b689
    I couldn't agree more: every court case reinforces his message that the elites are trying to prevent ordinary people having a voice. Had there been no court cases, we might well have been looking at a DeSantis victory in Iowa, and a Haley one in New Hampshire.
    It’s a little like the boy who cried wolf. While there may be something in some of the cases, so much more of it comes across as nakedly politically motivated by partisan actors.

It all reinforces Trump’s message to his supporters, and even to some floating voters, that the apparatus of the State can be politicised and *they* can come for whoever they want.
    Sigh.

There is a case to answer in all of them. As the Republicans are finding with their increasingly bizarre pursuit of Hunter Biden, the American justice system is an absolute bastard if you’re trying to pursue people for partisan reasons. Heck, they’ve managed to get it to the stage where their interference has effectively undermined the cases against Biden.

Trump doesn’t like being told he’s a crook, and a forger, and a cheat, and a loser. He’s also tying people up endlessly in baseless procedural and political shenanigans to slow things down. That is a different problem.

Remember, he’s already been found guilty of fraud in New York and two courts have ruled he committed insurrection. These are based on facts.

What *hasn’t* happened yet is a jury conviction but the way he’s behaving that can only be a matter of time.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:
    I'm amused that a man who threw doubt on the Covid vaccines is saying "Here, put a chip in your brain..."
    His brain is fried.
  • Options
    Funny that we don't hear much about the 'deep state' which has fifty FBI agents investigate Hunter Biden for half a decade.

The continuing investigation of a private individual for tax misfeasance (who has since paid his tax), by a Congress which has done little else in the last couple of years, doesn't seem to bother Sandpit much.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,928
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

So you're calling three grand juries which returned indictments against Trump nakedly partisan actors ?
    No, for example in the Carroll case I’m calling the New York DA who was directly elected on a campaign promise “To Get Donald Trump”, a partisan actor; and I’m calling the NY legislature, who passed an short-term exemption to the statute of limitations specifically to allow Carroll to bring her case against Trump, partisan actors.

I know there are many people who believe that Trump is the most evil human alive, and spending the rest of his life in prison is not long enough - but some of us try and follow both sides of the story, and can see that his message remains popular with tens of millions of Americans. On a betting site, that’s important.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,082

kle4 said:

A "dubious case"? Oh FFS - he's been found guilty of multiple counts of fraud. He doesn't get to stand apart from that, because he was President. He's getting what anybody else would get - justice. That the value he will get to lose is commensurate with the level of that fraud - that is justice.

This is not petty political vindictiveness. It is as a result of Grand Jury charges, brought and then proved in court. Trump deserves all the tonnage of shit that is about to descend upon him.

And that is before we get on to January 6th. Where the mob he whipped up tried to cheat his way to not giving up office. Where democracy was at risk. Where people died - all for the vanity of a man who just cannot concede that he is a loser.
    Whom did he defraud?

Deutsche Bank offered him loans and did their own due diligence on the security he put up. Valuations of illiquid real estate are always somewhat subjective. What he did isn't fraud.
    Don’t try that approach on your mortgage application
  • Options
    edited January 30
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

No, for example in the Carroll case I’m calling the New York DA who was directly elected on a campaign promise “To Get Donald Trump”, a partisan actor; and I’m calling the NY legislature, who passed an short-term exemption to the statute of limitations specifically to allow Carroll to bring her case against Trump, partisan actors.

I know there are many people who believe that Trump is the most evil human alive, and spending the rest of his life in prison is not long enough - but some of us try and follow both sides of the story, and can see that his message remains popular with tens of millions of Americans. On a betting site, that’s important.
    Trump libelled her again recently, which allowed her to bring the case again, and is why he's due to pay over $80m.
    Is that unanimous jury verdict nakedly partisan ?
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,280
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

The lesson is if you are a politician, don't commit just one or two crimes, commit loads then people around the world will say "better let him off if he's done that much illegal stuff"

I suppose it's a bit like the 2016 election when the so-called liberal media spent far more time on Clinton's emails misdemeanor than on any of Trump's scandals.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Trump libelled her again recently, which allowed her to bring the case again, and is why he's due to pay over $80m.
    What I’m saying is that the whole process that led to the case being brought in the first place, was done for political reasons.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,002
    George Freeman’s resignation as science minister, because (seriously) he couldn’t afford his mortgage.

A remarkable mix of pomposity and self-pity.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-68133873
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,250
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

Interesting article by Peter Kellner on the different leads by different pollsters:

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/elections/election-countdown/64633/is-labours-lead-as-big-as-the-polls-suggest

He mentions a new pollster, Stonehaven. I don't recollect seeing any of their polls.
    New one to me also.

https://www.stonehavenglobal.com/insights/the-next-uk-election-more-2017-than-1997

They did a MRP poll in November 2023

No way do the LibDems get 54 seats on 11% of the vote. If they get 11% of the vote, then I'd be staggered if they got more than 30.

I'm going to go out on a flyer and say they'll end up doing slightly better, percentage-wise, than the polls think, and end up on 13%. And I think they get 26-29 seats.
    Does look high.

These are the Lib Dem seats

Bath
    Carshalton and Wallington
    Cheadle
    Cheltenham
    Chesham and Amersham
    Chippenham
    Didcot and Wantage
    Eastbourne
    Eastleigh
    Esher and Walton
    Farnham and Bordon
    Frome and East Somerset
    Glastonbury and Somerton
    Godalming and Ash
    Guildford
    Hazel Grove
    Henley and Thame
    Honiton and Sidmouth
    Kingston and Surbiton
    Lewes
    Melksham and Devizes
    Mid Dorset and North Poole
    Newton Abbot
    North Cornwall
    North Cotswolds
    North Devon
    North Dorset
    North Shropshire
    Oxford West and Abingdon
    Richmond Park
    South Cambridgeshire
    South Cotswolds
    South Devon
    St Albans
    St Ives
    Sutton and Cheam
    Taunton and Wellington
    Tewkesbury
    Thornbury and Yate
    Tiverton and Minehead
    Torbay
    Twickenham
    Wells and Mendip Hills
    West Dorset
    Westmorland and Lonsdale
    Wimbledon
    Winchester
    Witney
    Woking
    Yeovil
    Edinburgh West
    Mid Dunbartonshire
    North East Fife
    Orkney and Shetland

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18DWPXekPxvWpe6F9c2UTX4b8aCxwT3Em/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=103480920087627714998&rtpof=true&sd=true
    It does look like a lot.

But on the other hand, a quick skim doesn't seem to throw up any absolute howlers of a "no way is that happening" sort. If Ed Davey's agents did "accidentally" leave a list of their target seats behind the cistern in the gents at Westminster's third dingiest pub for someone in Labour to "accidentally" pick up, it would probably look a lot like this. And a good night for the Lib Dems is getting 45% or so in 45 seats, and naff all elsewhere. It's all about efficiency.

And if the Conservatives are going to collapse, why shouldn't our besandled chums have some of the fun?
    Some of those do like a big stretch: Marcus Fysh got almost twice the votes of the LibDem candidate in Yeovil last time around. Now, can I see a 16,000 majority cut to a 5,000 one? Sure. But there's no meaningful Labour vote to squeeze, so Conservatives staying home is going to no way cut it.
    Torbay: 17,700 Tory majority over the LibDems. 6,500 Labour vote to squeeze.

But that isn't going to be squeezed. Not happening.

North Devon: 15,500 Tory majority over LibDems. 5,000 Labour vote to squeeze.

Again, that is going to increase, not get squeezed.
    Tewekebsury - Tories 58% of the vote. Lib Dems 21% of the vote. 22,000 behind. In a Brexit seat.

I’m filing that under ‘somebody was smoking something good.’

Incidentally even in a very bad result for the Tories I expect them to regain North Shropshire.
    The local election results suggest you may be wrong about all three seats. The Tory vote is astonishingly soft.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

What I’m saying is that the whole process that led to the case being brought in the first place, was done for political reasons.
    You mean, like when Capone was pursued by federal agents at the request of the Chicago Daily News?
  • Options
    Of course, Trump keeps comparing himself to Al Capone.

Well, it's not a terrible comparison in some ways:

Massive tax frauds - check
    Incitement to violence - check
    Electoral fraud - check
    Thought he was beyond the law - check

But as far as I know Capone was never accused of insurrection.

Maybe it just didn't occur to him.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,999
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: slightly old but silly news. AlphaTauri, formerly Toro Rosso, will now be known as RB.

This is a stupid and lifeless name. But way better than the full version, which is:
    Visa Cash App RB Formula One Team

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.alphatauri-rebrand-confirmed-for-2024-season-as-new-team-name-revealed.4xAWHWI66d5L9mFELLGb6J.html
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

"I know there are many people who believe that Trump is the most evil human alive,"

I've heard literally no-one make that claim.

" but some of us try and follow both sides of the story,"

I fear most of us listen to both sides of the story: and one side of the story is much more compelling. That being that Trump is not a very nice person who may well have committed some very serious acts. Given that, the desperate attempts to prevent trials seems rather odd. Perhaps even un-American.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

Interesting article by Peter Kellner on the different leads by different pollsters:

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/elections/election-countdown/64633/is-labours-lead-as-big-as-the-polls-suggest

He mentions a new pollster, Stonehaven. I don't recollect seeing any of their polls.
    New one to me also.

https://www.stonehavenglobal.com/insights/the-next-uk-election-more-2017-than-1997

No way do the LibDems get 54 seats on 11% of the vote. If they get 11% of the vote, then I'd be staggered if they got more than 30.

I'm going to go out on a flyer and say they'll end up doing slightly better, percentage-wise, than the polls think, and end up on 13%. And I think they get 26-29 seats.
    Does look high.

Bath
    Cheadle
    Cheltenham
    Chesham and Amersham
    Chippenham
    Didcot and Wantage
    Eastbourne
    Eastleigh
    Esher and Walton
    Farnham and Bordon
    Frome and East Somerset
    Glastonbury and Somerton
    Godalming and Ash
    Guildford
    Hazel Grove
    Henley and Thame
    Honiton and Sidmouth
    Kingston and Surbiton
    Lewes
    Melksham and Devizes
    Newton Abbot
    North Cornwall
    North Cotswolds
    North Devon
    North Dorset
    North Shropshire
    Oxford West and Abingdon
    Richmond Park
    South Cambridgeshire
    South Cotswolds
    South Devon
    St Albans
    St Ives
    Sutton and Cheam
    Taunton and Wellington
    Tewkesbury
    Thornbury and Yate
    Tiverton and Minehead
    Torbay
    Twickenham
    Wells and Mendip Hills
    West Dorset
    Westmorland and Lonsdale
    Wimbledon
    Winchester
    Witney
    Woking
    Yeovil
    Edinburgh West
    Mid Dunbartonshire
    North East Fife
    Orkney and Shetland

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18DWPXekPxvWpe6F9c2UTX4b8aCxwT3Em/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=103480920087627714998&rtpof=true&sd=true
    Many of the West Country gains look unlikely.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,766
    Andy_JS said:

The latest from Matt Goodwin.

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

Rishi Sunak should save his party and the country by offering the British people a referendum on reducing mass immigration. It is the only thing that would give him a chance at the looming election. Here's why"

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1751918630613225988

Voters treat referendums as a way to kick governments in the nuts, which is one of several reasons that they are a poor way to run a country.

If the vote went against the government, as is likely, he would look even more stupid.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

You spoil your case a bit by implying those who disagree with you are unaware that Trump remains popular with tens of millions of Americans.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Funny that we don't hear much about the 'deep state' which has fifty FBI agents investigate Hunter Biden for half a decade.

The continuing investigation of a private individual for tax misfeasance (who has since paid his tax), by a Congress which has done little else in the last couple of years, doesn't seem to bother Sandpit much.

tbf has Sandpit said anything one way or the other about the Hunter Biden investigations?
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,206
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

New one to me also.

Does look high.

Bath
    Cheadle
    Cheltenham
    Chesham and Amersham
    Chippenham
    Didcot and Wantage
    Eastbourne
    Eastleigh
    Esher and Walton
    Farnham and Bordon
    Frome and East Somerset
    Glastonbury and Somerton
    Godalming and Ash
    Guildford
    Hazel Grove
    Henley and Thame
    Honiton and Sidmouth
    Kingston and Surbiton
    Lewes
    Melksham and Devizes
    Newton Abbot
    North Cornwall
    North Cotswolds
    North Devon
    North Dorset
    North Shropshire
    Oxford West and Abingdon
    Richmond Park
    South Cambridgeshire
    South Cotswolds
    South Devon
    St Albans
    St Ives
    Sutton and Cheam
    Taunton and Wellington
    Tewkesbury
    Thornbury and Yate
    Tiverton and Minehead
    Torbay
    Twickenham
    Wells and Mendip Hills
    West Dorset
    Westmorland and Lonsdale
    Wimbledon
    Winchester
    Witney
    Woking
    Yeovil
    Edinburgh West
    Mid Dunbartonshire
    North East Fife
    Orkney and Shetland

It does look like a lot.

But on the other hand, a quick skim doesn't seem to throw up any absolute howlers of a "no way is that happening" sort. If Ed Davey's agents did "accidentally" leave a list of their target seats behind the cistern in the gents at Westminster's third dingiest pub for someone in Labour to "accidentally" pick up, it would probably look a lot like this. And a good night for the Lib Dems is getting 45% or so in 45 seats, and naff all elsewhere. It's all about efficiency.

And if the Conservatives are going to collapse, why shouldn't our besandled chums have some of the fun?
    Some of those do like a big stretch: Marcus Fysh got almost twice the votes of the LibDem candidate in Yeovil last time around. Now, can I see a 16,000 majority cut to a 5,000 one? Sure. But there's no meaningful Labour vote to squeeze, so Conservatives staying home is going to no way cut it.

Tewekebsury - Tories 58% of the vote. Lib Dems 21% of the vote. 22,000 behind. In a Brexit seat.

Incidentally even in a very bad result for the Tories I expect them to regain North Shropshire.
    I hear what you say but I also get the sense that Morgan is quite popular. Will be an interesting one.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

George Freeman’s resignation as science minister, because (seriously) he couldn’t afford his mortgage.

Okay, another unpopular opinion coming.

The cost of living, especially as it relates to mortgage payments, is going to hit very high up the income scale. Many people who moved house during the pandemic on cheap three-year deals, are going to find their payments going up a couple of grand every month after they refinance.

Yes it’s easy to pick on an MP who resigned from a ministerial position to take outside work, but an awful lot of the middle-aged middle classes feel themselves in the same position, and many will face having to sell their house as a result.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896

kle4 said:

It’s wishful thinking to believe that these court cases will turn his supporters against him.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,014
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

It’s wishful thinking to believe that these court cases will turn his supporters against him.
    +1 - the issue with Trump is that he has some how convinced a significant number of US voters that he isn't the crook he plainly is and that the court cases are merely part of national organised vendetta against him rather than the criminal cases they actually are.

• Options
    kamski said:

Nigelb said:

tbf has Sandpit said anything one way or the other about the Hunter Biden investigations?
    I’ve definitely said that it’s not a good look that HB was getting paid a lot of money for seemingly little work at a Ukranian oil company, but most of the ‘laptop’ stuff is private-life tittle-tattle. He’s not working for the government, who cares if he has an adventurous lifestyle?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    edited January 30
    Well.

A leading fancy for the Randox Grand National which is owned by Baroness Mone and her husband Doug Barrowman could be prevented from running in the famous race at Aintree on April 13 as a result of a court order freezing some of the couple’s assets.

Mone and Barrowman have had about £75 million worth of assets linked to them frozen or restrained. The order was issued after a National Crime Agency investigation into alleged PPE fraud in relation to their links to the company PPE Medpro, which was handed government contracts worth more than £200 million during the Covid-19 pandemic.

The horse, Monbeg Genius, was bought for £80,000 at the Goffs UK November sale in 2020, during the pandemic. He was bought by Mone as a wedding present for her billionaire husband and is trained by Jonjo O’Neill, who saddled Don’t Push It to win the 2010 Grand National.

Barrowman Racing Limited is the registered owner of Monbeg Genius, the 14-1 joint-favourite for the National with bookmakers Paddy Power.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/michelle-mone-horse-grand-national-money-assets-wfwvktjdr
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    edited January 30
    Conservative associations have been told to build up a bank of proxy voters to take advantage of new rules allowing an extra two million British expats to vote in the general election.

The move follows a change in the law that removed the requirement on expats to have lived in the UK in the past 15 years to vote at a parliamentary election. It enfranchised around 2.1 million people who are now being targeted by political parties ahead of the general election campaign.

Leaked guidance from Conservative Central Headquarters (CCHQ) said associations should “help in building up a supply of Conservatives willing to act as proxy voters”.

The rule changes mean voters can now act as a proxy to up to four others, two of whom can be UK residents.

“CCHQ will be operating a service to try to find proxy voters for overseas electors,” the instructions, as seen by The Times, say.

While party officials will seek a proxy in the constituency where the overseas-based voter is registered, allowing the proxy to attend the polling station and cast the proxy in person, CCHQ’s “preferred recommendation” is for people to act as a “postal proxy” — meaning they can be based anywhere in the UK and submit the other person’s vote by mail.

“Given that each proxy voter now has an exclusive ability to act for at least two overseas electors, we are keen to use this capacity to our best advantage,” the guidance says.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/expats-voting-general-election-campaign-swdl7vgr3
  • Options
    A high-profile levelling-up project, championed by Rishi Sunak and Michael Gove, is secretive, poorly governed and is failing to protect public money, a damning report has concluded.

An independent investigation into the regeneration of the Redcar steelworks in Teesside found that taxpayers had so far paid more than £500 million to convert the site into one of the country’s first freeports.

At the same time, local politicians, including Ben Houchen, the Tory Tees Valley mayor, allowed the company JV Partners to take nearly £45 million in dividends and payments from the scheme, despite the fact they put “no direct cash into the project”.

Instead, it stood to benefit financially from the taxpayer-funded decontamination of the site ― JV Partners owns 90 per cent of the steelworks.

“There has been no private finance invested to date whilst over £560 million of public funds have been spent or committed,” the report stated.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/teesworks-freeport-project-secretive-and-poorly-governed-q3p7h3ckm
  • Options
    Morning all! The NI fandango is nearly over and the DUP morons are going to accept they lost the election. Supposedly their big objection was the border. So lets look at the latest fun at the GB border.

On Thursday the new Target Operating Model comes into effect. Almost all meat and dairy products will have to have swathes of new paperwork including vet certificates from the exporting country. We are not ready, so customs will allow in loads without the correct paperwork for 3 months. Last week saw a DEFRA online meeting with 800 importers on it. Just 4% said they were ready.

Supposedly we're phasing the rollout of TOM. Paperwork which we won't check from 1st February. And then paperwork and physical checks from 1st May. But the countries we export from are ready. A few examples:
    France - export loads have to be held for 48 hours for inspection.
    Spain - only a small number of facilities will have a vet who can certify your meat or dairy. If your product isn't produced there, they won't let you export it.
    UK - 24 hours notice needed for an import load.

If your food is fresh, or if shelf life is important (as UK supermarkets require at least 75% of manufactured life), you are fucked under TOM.

The industry is warning of exciting months ahead with big price rises and product withdrawals. Big client already has a couple of key lines which they simply cannot import to the UK any more - commercially not viable on the new rules.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,290
    edited January 30
    If you want to read how bad it is, have a look at the letter just sent to Steve Wazzock Barclay. I know that we have had enough of experts, but this is a detailed tear down of the Border TOM as coms into effect on Thursday and how it doesn't work.

https://www.chilledfood.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/Rt-Hon-Steve-Barclay-re-outstanding-BTOM-bio-and-food-security-issues-25-1-24.pdf

The comedy is that exporting member states know it won't work, but are doing as they are told and imposing our rules as required by our treaty...
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,767

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

New one to me also.

Does look high.

Bath
    Cheadle
    Cheltenham
    Chesham and Amersham
    Chippenham
    Didcot and Wantage
    Eastbourne
    Eastleigh
    Esher and Walton
    Farnham and Bordon
    Frome and East Somerset
    Glastonbury and Somerton
    Godalming and Ash
    Guildford
    Hazel Grove
    Henley and Thame
    Honiton and Sidmouth
    Kingston and Surbiton
    Lewes
    Melksham and Devizes
    Newton Abbot
    North Cornwall
    North Cotswolds
    North Devon
    North Dorset
    North Shropshire
    Oxford West and Abingdon
    Richmond Park
    South Cambridgeshire
    South Cotswolds
    South Devon
    St Albans
    St Ives
    Sutton and Cheam
    Taunton and Wellington
    Tewkesbury
    Thornbury and Yate
    Tiverton and Minehead
    Torbay
    Twickenham
    Wells and Mendip Hills
    West Dorset
    Westmorland and Lonsdale
    Wimbledon
    Winchester
    Witney
    Woking
    Yeovil
    Edinburgh West
    Mid Dunbartonshire
    North East Fife
    Orkney and Shetland

It does look like a lot.

If the Lib Dems win most of these seats, they will win others not on this list. MRP polls are rough probabilities at the seat level. You don't expect to get every specific seat correct, but hope the ones where you have allocated the wrong party to even out.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Nigelb said:

That was my point.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,724

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

New one to me also.

Does look high.

Bath
    Cheadle
    Cheltenham
    Chesham and Amersham
    Chippenham
    Didcot and Wantage
    Eastbourne
    Eastleigh
    Esher and Walton
    Farnham and Bordon
    Frome and East Somerset
    Glastonbury and Somerton
    Godalming and Ash
    Guildford
    Hazel Grove
    Henley and Thame
    Honiton and Sidmouth
    Kingston and Surbiton
    Lewes
    Melksham and Devizes
    Newton Abbot
    North Cornwall
    North Cotswolds
    North Devon
    North Dorset
    North Shropshire
    Oxford West and Abingdon
    Richmond Park
    South Cambridgeshire
    South Cotswolds
    South Devon
    St Albans
    St Ives
    Sutton and Cheam
    Taunton and Wellington
    Tewkesbury
    Thornbury and Yate
    Tiverton and Minehead
    Torbay
    Twickenham
    Wells and Mendip Hills
    West Dorset
    Westmorland and Lonsdale
    Wimbledon
    Winchester
    Witney
    Woking
    Yeovil
    Edinburgh West
    Mid Dunbartonshire
    North East Fife
    Orkney and Shetland

It does look like a lot.

I hear what you say but I also get the sense that Morgan is quite popular. Will be an interesting one.
    And in the border changes I understand she’s losing some more Toryish areas in the South East of her seat and gaining some more Lib Demmy areas.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,288

A high-profile levelling-up project, championed by Rishi Sunak and Michael Gove, is secretive, poorly governed and is failing to protect public money, a damning report has concluded.

An independent investigation into the regeneration of the Redcar steelworks in Teesside found that taxpayers had so far paid more than £500 million to convert the site into one of the country’s first freeports.

At the same time, local politicians, including Ben Houchen, the Tory Tees Valley mayor, allowed the company JV Partners to take nearly £45 million in dividends and payments from the scheme, despite the fact they put “no direct cash into the project”.

Instead, it stood to benefit financially from the taxpayer-funded decontamination of the site ― JV Partners owns 90 per cent of the steelworks.

“There has been no private finance invested to date whilst over £560 million of public funds have been spent or committed,” the report stated.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/teesworks-freeport-project-secretive-and-poorly-governed-q3p7h3ckm

Alexa, define "whitewash".
  • Options

If you want to read how bad it is, have a look at the letter just sent to Steve Wazzock Barclay. I know that we have had enough of experts, but this is a detailed tear down of the Border TOM as coms into effect on Thursday and how it doesn't work.

https://www.chilledfood.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/Rt-Hon-Steve-Barclay-re-outstanding-BTOM-bio-and-food-security-issues-25-1-24.pdf

The comedy is that exporting member states know it won't work, but are doing as they are told and imposing our rules as required by our treaty...

It will have unpredictable results. An Italian commentator on Radio 4 this morning said the UK was such an important market that one Italian producer was transferring his business to this country.
  • Options

An outrageous slur. Private direct cash HAS been put into the project. They bought the land at £1 an acre. Be fair. A pound an acre. That's a serious investment.

I find it hard to make suggestions of corruption though. Its more that "Lord" Ben Houchen has the same IQ of Terry Fuckwit out of Viz.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389

I don't think you quite understand. Brexit is fantastic. It is just not being implemented correctly. When we (ie you) voted for it we were well aware that it would be implemented without flaw and to the benefit of everyone, now, didn't we.
  • Options

It will have unpredictable results. An Italian commentator on Radio 4 this morning said the UK was such an important market that one Italian producer was transferring his business to this country.
    That isn't to do with this. Post Brexit the only practical way to sell imports to the UK is to be established here and import it yourself. Even giants like Tesco don't want the faff of being on the hook for importing. Remember that the new rules mean you can't import direct to retailer DC - each pallet to each DC is counted as a separate load with separate paperwork requirements even if all comes from one company and is sold to the same company.
  • Options

Conservative associations have been told to build up a bank of proxy voters to take advantage of new rules allowing an extra two million British expats to vote in the general election.

The move follows a change in the law that removed the requirement on expats to have lived in the UK in the past 15 years to vote at a parliamentary election. It enfranchised around 2.1 million people who are now being targeted by political parties ahead of the general election campaign.

Leaked guidance from Conservative Central Headquarters (CCHQ) said associations should “help in building up a supply of Conservatives willing to act as proxy voters”.

The rule changes mean voters can now act as a proxy to up to four others, two of whom can be UK residents.

“CCHQ will be operating a service to try to find proxy voters for overseas electors,” the instructions, as seen by The Times, say.

While party officials will seek a proxy in the constituency where the overseas-based voter is registered, allowing the proxy to attend the polling station and cast the proxy in person, CCHQ’s “preferred recommendation” is for people to act as a “postal proxy” — meaning they can be based anywhere in the UK and submit the other person’s vote by mail.

“Given that each proxy voter now has an exclusive ability to act for at least two overseas electors, we are keen to use this capacity to our best advantage,” the guidance says.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/expats-voting-general-election-campaign-swdl7vgr3

With a 2 million vote headstart spread across marginal constituencies, I am not sure the Tories are catchable with just the domestic vote.

And yet if I forget my driving license I get turned away.

Fortunately no one will get to hear about the ex-pat voter scam, so there will not be rioting on the street when Rishi visits the King on January 24th.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Morning all! The NI fandango is nearly over and the DUP morons are going to accept they lost the election. Supposedly their big objection was the border. So lets look at the latest fun at the GB border.

On Thursday the new Target Operating Model comes into effect. Almost all meat and dairy products will have to have swathes of new paperwork including vet certificates from the exporting country. We are not ready, so customs will allow in loads without the correct paperwork for 3 months. Last week saw a DEFRA online meeting with 800 importers on it. Just 4% said they were ready.

Supposedly we're phasing the rollout of TOM. Paperwork which we won't check from 1st February. And then paperwork and physical checks from 1st May. But the countries we export from are ready. A few examples:
    Spain - only a small number of facilities will have a vet who can certify your meat or dairy. If your product isn't produced there, they won't let you export it.

If your food is fresh, or if shelf life is important (as UK supermarkets require at least 75% of manufactured life), you are fucked under TOM.

The industry is warning of exciting months ahead with big price rises and product withdrawals. Big client already has a couple of key lines which they simply cannot import to the UK any more - commercially not viable on the new rules.

More tosh. My brother has no problem getting any type of food he fancies. Nobody in NI is starving.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

New one to me also.

Does look high.

Bath
    Cheadle
    Cheltenham
    Chesham and Amersham
    Chippenham
    Didcot and Wantage
    Eastbourne
    Eastleigh
    Esher and Walton
    Farnham and Bordon
    Frome and East Somerset
    Glastonbury and Somerton
    Godalming and Ash
    Guildford
    Hazel Grove
    Henley and Thame
    Honiton and Sidmouth
    Kingston and Surbiton
    Lewes
    Melksham and Devizes
    Newton Abbot
    North Cornwall
    North Cotswolds
    North Devon
    North Dorset
    North Shropshire
    Oxford West and Abingdon
    Richmond Park
    South Cambridgeshire
    South Cotswolds
    South Devon
    St Albans
    St Ives
    Sutton and Cheam
    Taunton and Wellington
    Tewkesbury
    Thornbury and Yate
    Tiverton and Minehead
    Torbay
    Twickenham
    Wells and Mendip Hills
    West Dorset
    Westmorland and Lonsdale
    Wimbledon
    Winchester
    Witney
    Woking
    Yeovil
    Edinburgh West
    Mid Dunbartonshire
    North East Fife
    Orkney and Shetland

It does look like a lot.

If the Lib Dems win most of these seats, they will win others not on this list. MRP polls are rough probabilities at the seat level. You don't expect to get every specific seat correct, but hope the ones where you have allocated the wrong party to even out.
    A noted a few comments above scoffing at the chances of this happening. Pointing to the size of the Tory majority and saying not enough Labour votes to squeeze. The posters miss the point. They may still be base enough to vote Tory, but the majority are not.

Poll after poll after poll showing a catastrophic collapse in the voting intention of 2019 Tories. So take 2/3rds off that big majority Tory vote and redo the maths.

Nobody with a brain or a heart is voting Tory in 2025.
  • Options

That’s not quite true, I believe the company doing

Alexa, define "whitewash".
    Shame 1 of the 2 journalists who understand exactly what’s going on calls the report above dire https://twitter.com/leighsus/status/1752238477444366629

Also it’s not £45m it’s over £100m in profits
  • Options

More tosh. My brother has no problem getting any type of food he fancies. Nobody in NI is starving.
    "Brexit - where nobody in NI is starving."

Fantastic.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,922

I just read that. It's worrying. As in "I don't think they are going to fix it".
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,360

An outrageous slur. Private direct cash HAS been put into the project. They bought the land at £1 an acre. Be fair. A pound an acre. That's a serious investment.

I find it hard to make suggestions of corruption though. Its more that "Lord" Ben Houchen has the same IQ of Terry Fuckwit out of Viz.
    I read into this. I don’t thinks it’s the scandal people want it to be. It looks like a public/private partnership where the main public contribution is the land, and the private sector is taking a decent chunk of risk.

The NAO should have a look, but if the land still needs work to decontaminate, I can well believe there was scope for serious risk transfer (not doing that is usually the PPP sin).
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Fantastic.
    Simply the response to deluded scare mongering. Try having a reasoned argument for a change.
  • Options

1) Hasn't come into effect yet
    2) NI is safe - supplied by the EU with no border. This is GB
    3) How about you read the letter sent to Barclay. Please take it apart point by point with evidence as to how it is "tosh".
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Meanwhile the rest of us have to provide photo ID to vote despite impersonation being vanishingly rare.
    Who was it suggesting yesterday that the legislation was purely a matter of principle, and that there was no intention to take electoral advantage ?
  • Options

For those of us who believe we should be self-sufficient in food (not import free, just self-sufficient) that sounds like a healthy set of incentives, albeit a massive implementation risk that all contented should have managed better over the last eight years.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,002
    Sandpit said:

Ghedebrav said:

Okay, another unpopular opinion coming.

The cost of living, especially as it relates to mortgage payments, is going to hit very high up the income scale. Many people who moved house during the pandemic on cheap three-year deals, are going to find their payments going up a couple of grand every month after they refinance.

Yes it’s easy to pick on an MP who resigned from a ministerial position to take outside work, but an awful lot of the middle-aged middle classes feel themselves in the same position, and many will face having to sell their house as a result.
    Well, I stand by my ‘pomposity and self-pity’ and while I have genuine sympathy for everyone whose mortgage payments have ruinously shot up (and indeed those for whom stepping onto the housing ladder has become unaffordable), it’s hard to feel too bad for a member of the governing party who bear responsibility for the hikes.

Or maybe he should just take his cut to NI and be thankful?

I wonder if he realises that he has himself given a perfect illustration of why hundreds of thousands of people will not be voting Conservative when they might have otherwise considered it. As the youngsters say, it is quite the self-own.
  • Options
    biggles said:

I read into this. I don’t thinks it’s the scandal people want it to be. It looks like a public/private partnership where the main public contribution is the land, and the private sector is taking a decent chunk of risk.

The NAO should have a look, but if the land still needs work to decontaminate, I can well believe there was scope for serious risk transfer (not doing that is usually the PPP sin).
    Remember that all of the risk and the cost of decontaminating the land is from the public sector. Lets assume a scenario where the land can't be suitably decontaminated. There is no loss to the private sector. They have made a cool £100m and can walk away.
  • Options

With a 2 million vote headstart spread across marginal constituencies, I am not sure the Tories are catchable with just the domestic vote.

And yet if I forget my driving license I get turned away.

Fortunately no one will get to hear about the ex-pat voter scam, so there will not be rioting on the street when Rishi visits the King on January 24th.
    Don’t get me wrong, I am 100% against the voter ID move and the intent was clearly to favour the Tories, but didn’t we conclude at the last elections that if anything it disadvantaged the Tories, because of the impact on older voters? And a lot I have read suggested many expats are not Tory fans.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,039
    Morning all!
    I read the piece about Conservatives using the overseas vote with interest. Why are they assuming that all these votes will be Conservative? As I posted the other day, one of my sons fall into this category, and will certainly not do so!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,922
    edited January 30

Yes, but your brother lives off beans and chips. 😃
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,023
    Ghedebrav said:

I wonder what his user name on here is.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,429
    Looking at the furore surrounding Devi Sridhar and the Scottish govt, on Covid, I am reminded of Dr Deepti Gurdasani, and how we all used to listen to her as a sane voice on The Bug

This is her.... NOW

https://x.com/dgurdasani1/status/1747431291434467821?s=20

Her mask costs $1000. As far as I can see, she still masks up much of her family most of the time
  • Options
    viewcode said:

biggles said:

For those of us who believe we should be self-sufficient in food (not import free, just self-sufficient) that sounds like a healthy set of incentives, albeit a massive implementation risk that all contented should have managed better over the last eight years.
    "Farm or starve" isn't a plan, it's a plot point in "Threads"
    Obviously you’re one of those who thinks it’s fine to rely on imports to feed the population (not for variety but in order to have enough calories). I have never accepted that, and I think it’s idiotic. Really not hard to avoid either, with a bit of investment in domestic supply.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

No he makes me cook and fill his freezer when I visit him. Currently hes eating prime Ulster beef with a back up of Thai green curry when he's bored.
  • Options
    biggles said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

Obviously you’re one of those who thinks it’s fine to rely on imports to feed the population (not for variety but in order to have enough calories). I have never accepted that, and I think it’s idiotic. Really not hard to avoid either, with a bit of investment in domestic supply.
    Can you tell me one time in the last 125 years that the UK has grown enough to feed itself?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,724

Morning all!
    I read the piece about Conservatives using the overseas vote with interest. Why are they assuming that all these votes will be Conservative? As I posted the other day, one of my sons fall into this category, and will certainly not do so!

I would assume the average age of people who’ve been outside the UK for over 15 years must be well into the 60s, possibly the 70s. So I’m pretty sure the vote share will be better than their domestic 20-30%.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Looking at the furore surrounding Devi Sridhar and the Scottish govt, on Covid, I am reminded of Dr Deepti Gurdasani, and how we all used to listen to her as a sane voice on The Bug

This is her.... NOW

Her mask costs $1000. As far as I can see, she still masks up much of her family most of the time

Twitter links never work any more for me. Left it yonks ago as a member to avoid getting sucked in, but it was useful to be able to see it.

I assume that’s deliberate from Musk, but I am not sure it’s wise. If you can’t see in the shop window you won’t be minded to buy the goods, and overtime it will make all of Twitter more insular, you’d think.
  • Options
    biggles said:

But hasn't public money paid for the decontamination? The investment liability by JV Partners has been precisely £1 per acre.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Morning all!

I would assume the average age of people who’ve been outside the UK for over 15 years must be well into the 60s, possibly the 70s. So I’m pretty sure the vote share will be better than their domestic 20-30%.
    Aren’t they also more likely to be graduates and (by definition) better travelled? I am not sure age is the best guide to the demographic here.
  • Options

biggles said:

But hasn't public money paid for the decontamination? The investment liability by JV Partners has been precisely £1 per acre.
    It’s hard to tell for us on the outside. Certainly looks big enough to want the NAO to have a peek.
  • Options
    biggles said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

The key word there is "investment". This government have replaced the lots of money from CAP with little money post Brexit. So farming has less money than ever - how can we invest?

We have been reliant on a proportion of imports since forever, and have made progress making ourselves more reliant. We could choose not to import certain things. Chicken as an example. First we would need to Eat Less Chicken. Second, we need to invest heavily in chicken farms so that we can switch off Brazilian and Thai chicken imports. Third we need to accept that we will pay a lot more for the chicken we still eat. Fourth we eat a lot less eggs and things with eggs in them.

I know that some of the wilder Brexit vox poppers said they'd rather eat grass than stay in the EU, but I doubt "pay less for more" was their expected outcome.
  • Options
    edited January 30

TOPPING said:

Fantastic.
    Simply the response to deluded scare mongering. Try having a reasoned argument for a change.
    Rochdale's was a post about the difficulties our Brexit regime is facing.

It seemed perfectly reasonable and I can't see the word "starving" in there once.

It was you who decided to go full hyperbole. I just pointed out the idiocy of refuting the contention that it was badly prepared for and badly implemented by saying that no one was starving.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

biggles said:

I don't think we'd starve.
    The UK is near self sufficient in terms of calories, and could be entirely so with a bit of effort.
    The big deficiencies are in vegetables (about 50% imported) and fruit (over 80%).

A load if polytunnels and greenhouses would probably sort most of that if push really came to shove.

But we'd go back to a really boring diet for a decade. And have to substitute rape seed oil for olive.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Are we back onto unhealthy vegan diets?
  • Options
    eek said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

Can you tell me one time in the last 125 years that the UK has grown enough to feed itself?
    We got pretty close in the mid eighties.
  • Options
    biggles said:

biggles said:

It’s hard to tell for us on the outside. Certainly looks big enough to want the NAO to have a peek.
    But this "inquiry" (snigger, sorry, sniggle) was set up be Gove precisely to avoid any scrutiny by the NAO.
  • Options
    biggles said:

You need to check out the new environmental stewardship scheme. Farmers are making productive land over to the growing of bluebells and dandelions. For three times the previous grant.

Literally trebles all round.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Fantastic.

It seemed perfectly reasonable and I can't see the word "starving" in there once.

It was you who decided to go full hyperbole. I just pointed out the idiocy of refuting the contention that it was badly prepared for and badly implemented by saying that no one was starving.
    Particularly as Rochdale was talking about problems which have not yet happened , and which are about to.
  • Options
    biggles said:

biggles said:

Its Very Easy for us to tell on the outside. Company records are public. That is how we know for a fact they paid £1 an acre. Despite Houchen trying to sue people who stated that fact.
  • Options
    Leon said:

This is her.... NOW

More worrying is that all the comments are along the lines of that's great where can I get one.
  • Options
    edited January 30

biggles said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

The key word there is "investment". This government have replaced the lots of money from CAP with little money post Brexit. So farming has less money than ever - how can we invest?

We have been reliant on a proportion of imports since forever, and have made progress making ourselves more reliant. We could choose not to import certain things. Chicken as an example. First we would need to Eat Less Chicken. Second, we need to invest heavily in chicken farms so that we can switch off Brazilian and Thai chicken imports. Third we need to accept that we will pay a lot more for the chicken we still eat. Fourth we eat a lot less eggs and things with eggs in them.

I know that some of the wilder Brexit vox poppers said they'd rather eat grass than stay in the EU, but I doubt "pay less for more" was their expected outcome.
    The experience so far of Brexit related drama is various industries and politicians crying wolf, and the wolf not appearing. Maybe this time will be different but I doubt it. Probably everything will be fine. The industry bodies wouldn’t be doing their job if they didn’t squeal a bit.
  • Options
    Leon said:

This is her.... NOW

I recall someone who was so afraid of The Bug that he fled to a remote part of Wales to avoid it...
  • Options

biggles said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

Surely Brazilian and Thai chicken farmers are outside the changes with the EU? Or are they being imported via the EU?

It really astonishes me how poorly prepared our government is to implement Brexit, even 4 or 8 years (depending on how you count) from when it happened. What bit about "Brexit means Brexit" didn't they understand?
  • Options

Leon said:

This is her.... NOW

I recall someone who was so afraid of The Bug that he fled to a remote part of Wales to avoid it...
    What is going on in your avatar please.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,739
    Power sharing is back! The DUP have a deal. We await details. Will it actually do anything to ease GB/NI trade? How much does it impact Johnson’s Brexit deal more broadly?

But good news for Northern Ireland and the clock goes back to normal on the next Assembly election, which should now be 6 May 2027. The DUP, SF, UUP and Alliance are meeting to discuss forming the new executive.

The next general election will be the first electoral test of these events. With most NI elections under STV, the one set of FPTP elections often see considerable negotiation and strategising over certain parties not standing in certain seats, particularly on the Unionist side.
  • Options
    edited January 30

Morning all!

Well if the local Conservative Association provides all the proxy voters, we know which way they will be voting.

I read years ago that this was a feature of the 1992 election. That of course may be an urban myth because I can't find reference to it on t'internet.

I wonder if the polling organisations will look into this post election, when they scratch their heads and ponder, "how did we get the election so badly wrong?"
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,535
    Foxy said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

Surely Brazilian and Thai chicken farmers are outside the changes with the EU? Or are they being imported via the EU?

It really astonishes me how poorly prepared our government is to implement Brexit, even 4 or 8 years (depending on how you count) from when it happened. What bit about "Brexit means Brexit" didn't they understand?
    What Brexit meant.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Fantastic.

The issue is not that we have left the EU. The issue is what we have chosen to do after leaving the EU.

Even if the new border model was sensible - and there are major holes in the detail which make it maddening. Even if, we have not made ourselves ready, after years and years of delay. France switches this thing on fully on Thursday. We don't even know how our border posts will operate.

As an industry we will do everything we can to get round the issues. The simple reality is that there won't be mass shortages as supermarkets will have to accept sub-standard and short shelf life products. People notice that less, but they will notice.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,023
    TOPPING said:

You need to check out the new environmental stewardship scheme. Farmers are making productive land over to the growing of bluebells and dandelions. For three times the previous grant.

You can do all right with it if you can blag your way onto the higher level schemes. I get about 700 quid/hectare/year.

It's alright but nobody is getting rich off it, but then again, very few get rich off any sort of farming.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    Leon said:

This is her.... NOW

‘We all’: who the fck is Dr Deepti Gurdasani?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

This is her.... NOW

I entered "redheaded triathlete" into an AI image generator. And that's the first image I got out. Horrific, isn't it?
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,739
    Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

You can do all right with it if you can blag your way onto the higher level schemes. I get about 700 quid/hectare/year.

It's alright but nobody is getting rich off it, but then again, very few get rich off any sort of farming.
    Not even the Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry?
  • Options
    edited January 30

Leon said:

This is her.... NOW

The irony of that particular "safehouse" was it wasn't to be found in " a remote part of Wales" but three miles from Cardiff City Centre.

I think that poster mistook COVID19 for a London-centric zombie apocalypse.
  • Options
    edited January 30
    If anyone wants to understand how the government is helping us to become self-sufficient then it should check out the current Countryside Stewardship payment rates.

You can get £607/ha, for example (up from £577) - LH3 - for "Creation of heathland from arable or improved grassland".

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/revenue-payment-rates-from-january-2023-countryside-stewardship/revenue-options-payment-rate-changes-from-1-january-2023

The government, via its incentive schemes, does not want us to become food self-sufficient, whether that is a good or bad thing. It also, as per Rochdale's post, makes it harder and more expensive to import food.

Far from being a doom monger over Brexit I thought it was just a very stupid idea. Like electing a Labour government. I said it would not be catastrophic but more like the extra 2p on beer and fags in the budget. Most people wouldn't notice but would be poorer as a result.

And lo it seems to be doing exactly that.
  • Options
    biggles said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

The experience so far of Brexit related drama is various industries and politicians crying wolf, and the wolf not appearing. Maybe this time will be different but I doubt it. Probably everything will be fine. The industry bodies wouldn’t be doing their job if they didn’t squeal a bit.
    If you want to suggest fixes for some of the detailed examples I'm sure people will listen. This isn't "squeal a bit". This is asking how the fuck the day job is supposed to happen on Thursday.

An example. The Netherlands cannot import meat to the UK on Thursday. We may choose to waive the rules, but the member states cannot (bound by treaty).

"So what" you say. Well there is quite a lot of dutch pork used in the UK foodchain, mostly in manufacturing. Most of the industry wasn't aware just how bad this is (just 4% of 800 firms on the DEFRA call last week) and "we can't import" is such an outlandish proposition that its only as it slams you in the face it becomes apparent.

If this doesn't get resolved then alternatives will be procured. But higher cost, so the price of the end product goes up, as everything will do to soak up the vast cost of the new border model.

I know a lot of this is detail and who cares about detail? Well those people who actually have to do the job care. And the people who expect to find cheap and plentiful food will care when stuff they used to buy disappears and what they can get costs more. We've had repeated waves of this, the new wave starts on Thursday.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

The maths are quite stunning, though. You pay £80/acre to prep the land and make it eligible (required every five years) and then you receive £300/acre (on average) to "run" the scheme which means getting some cattle to eat down the area and let it run wild thereafter.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

This is her.... NOW

I entered "redheaded triathlete" into an AI image generator. And that's the first image I got out. Horrific, isn't it?
    It certainly is.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

Brazilian and Thai chicken is imported to the EU. And then imported to the UK. We are too small to be worth a separate shipment directly importing to GB. Rotterdam is the hub for Europe on so many things.

And when it arrives at the GB border it is fed into the chaos that is the new BTOM. Even if we managed to get direct supply from Thailand we don't get to bypass our border chaos. Not from the EU? Great - someone has to check your paperwork. We didn't bother to hire more staff or set up more facilities that work and the computer system is shit.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

If anyone wants to understand how the government is helping us to become self-sufficient then it should check out the current Countryside Stewardship payment rates.

You can get £607/acre, for example (up from £577) - LH3 - for "Creation of heathland from arable or improved grassland".

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/revenue-payment-rates-from-january-2023-countryside-stewardship/revenue-options-payment-rate-changes-from-1-january-2023

The government, via its incentive schemes, does not want us to become food self-sufficient, whether that is a good or bad thing. It also, as per Rochdale's post, makes it harder and more expensive to import food.

Far from being a doom monger over Brexit I thought it was just a very stupid idea. Like electing a Labour government. I said it would not be catastrophic but more like the extra 2p on beer and fags in the budget. Most people wouldn't notice but would be poorer as a result.

Unlike voting Conservative which is a catastrophe we have noticed.

Fortunately for the Tories they have become self sufficient in harvesting enough votes imported from overseas to see them through next winter and beyond.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

You can get £607/ha, for example (up from £577) - LH3 - for "Creation of heathland from arable or improved grassland".

Fortunately for the Tories they have become self sufficient in harvesting enough votes imported from overseas to see them through next winter and beyond.
    Yeah there's some stiff competition for who it would be stupid to vote for, right now.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,278
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Yeah there's some stiff competition for who it would be stupid to vote for, right now.
    Yup. I am no longer voting, at all, apart from for a local independent councillor.

Absolute waste of time. You are simply buying in to and legitimising a system where politicians do as they please and take your vote as an endorsement of their actions.
  • Options
    Taz said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Yup. I am no longer voting, at all, apart from for a local independent councillor.

Absolute waste of time. You are simply buying in to and legitimising a system where politicians do as they please and take your vote as an endorsement of their actions.
    Is that you, @148grss?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

It's a remarkable analysis.

I won't vote Labour because they "might" be a bit rubbish, but I will vote Tory despite a cast iron, copper bottomed guarantee that they will be very rubbish.

Better the Devil you know!
This discussion has been closed.