Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

However hard LAB presses Rishi is the one who’ll decide the date – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,325
    Nigelb said:

SandraMc said:

IanB2 said:

We watched Mr Bates vs the Post Office yesterday. Even though I feel I know a bit about this from the press and @Cyclefree's headers, the series still had the power to shock.

It was also the hot topic in the gym this morning. Someone suggested Alan Bates should be awarded an MBE for his efforts over 20 years to bring this scandal to justice.

I mentioned that Paula Vennells got a CBE in 2019, her predecessor Alan Cook got a CBE in 2006. Cue general astonishment and disgust.

He was offered one but refused it while Vennells still has hers.

All this fuss about Davey and some letter he wrote back in 2010, when almost no-one knew anything about it, and there were the Tories giving her a job in the Cabinet Office and an honour in 2019 years after the whole story was as good as exposed, for those that wanted to see.
    It wasn't just "some letter he wrote" in Davey's case. When he left Government office, he took a consultancy with a legal firm that had represented the Post Office and had done its best to screw the staff's appeal.
    Sir Ed should do what Vennells and her lot never did. He should come clean.

Everyone makes mistakes. Doubling down on them is inexcusable.
    Yes, as someone fairly well disposed to the LibDems, I think this very disappointing indeed from him.
    Me too, Nigel.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 5
    Poulter said:

In an attempt to appeal to the masses, Rachel Reeves told Christopher Hope:

“What makes me wince is when I look at my bank statement, and I find that the money coming in is increasingly short of the money going out.”

https://order-order.com/2024/01/05/rachel-reeves-heading-into-the-red/

I wish politicians wouldn't try this nonsense. Just be honest and say a lot of people are struggling, and if people push you say, yes I am personally in a very fortunate position.

When you earn £350k a year, unless you are like Boris and have had 27 children by 10 different women, you aren't short every month (particularly if you live most weeks with ability to expense a fair chunk / have access to discounted food / drink).

Reeves doesn't, as far as I know, earn anything close to £350k a year. She'll get £87k as an MP. I don't think she gets anything as Shadow Chancellor, does she? She declared another £23k for writing in 2023. £110k is good, very good, but it's not £350k.
    You are correct, the £350k was donations.

The point still stands. Her husband is a senior civil servant in the treasury, so their household income is several £100k a year. If they can't stay out of the red with that level of income, you would have to question her ability to run the nations accounts. In reality, she isn't a numpty, so I highly doubt that is the case, and so is leaning into the nonsense of I am just like you struggling to make ends meet.
    The nation's accounts are in the red.

But you are right. Of course she is faking it. Time for leaders of the opposition to the opposition, also known as the government - Hunt, Cameron, Sunak - to call her out on it. "You're not really struggling, are you, Rachel? You're not as 'fortunate' as we are, but you're still rolling in it."
    Poor Dave, if they aren't careful, he will have to start shopping in Morrisons again for the PR photos....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,324

Nigelb said:

SandraMc said:

IanB2 said:

We watched Mr Bates vs the Post Office yesterday. Even though I feel I know a bit about this from the press and @Cyclefree's headers, the series still had the power to shock.

It was also the hot topic in the gym this morning. Someone suggested Alan Bates should be awarded an MBE for his efforts over 20 years to bring this scandal to justice.

I mentioned that Paula Vennells got a CBE in 2019, her predecessor Alan Cook got a CBE in 2006. Cue general astonishment and disgust.

All this fuss about Davey and some letter he wrote back in 2010, when almost no-one knew anything about it, and there were the Tories giving her a job in the Cabinet Office and an honour in 2019 years after the whole story was as good as exposed, for those that wanted to see.
    It wasn't just "some letter he wrote" in Davey's case. When he left Government office, he took a consultancy with a legal firm that had represented the Post Office and had done its best to screw the staff's appeal.

Yes, as someone fairly well disposed to the LibDems, I think this very disappointing indeed from him.
    Me too, Nigel.
    Why give him a harder time than the Tories who filled the role, both prior and after?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

On topic, Mike is half-right and half-wrong.

Yes, the public does understand that the PM isn't going to commit electoral suicide before he has to. On the other hand, the public does want an election now and calling for one - even if it's unlikely to happen - won't go down badly.

Whether 'bottled it' is the right phrase to use I'm doubtful about. 'Frit', or some variant, might be better. But the gist is right.

Isn’t there an argument the Tory strategists, who they pay lot of money to, have wargamed this, modelled this, and come to the conclusion it needs a cheerful, turned a corner, springlike election? Absolutely everything is screaming at us it’s May rather than gathering gloom of a recession hit autumn,, not least the timing of tax cuts and budget and using recent drop in inflation, and sensible avoiding of issues later in the year such as predicted surge in channel crossings, technical recession, business bankruptcies. Tax cuts in spring can actually increase inflation.

Whilst telling us it’s an election from July onward yesterday, Sunak was specifically asked to rule out May and wouldn’t.
    Media and commentators pay too much attention to technical and arbitrary definitions of 'recessions' (which were only thought up in the first place to palm off ignorant journalists), and not enough to how people are feeling.

Tory strategists can only go with a turned-the-corner election if people actually think things have turned a corner; not just in the economy but in, say, the NHS too. Not to mention that a Spring election didn't do much for John Major in 1997. Indeed, there's just as much chance that people look to Labour as the seasonal source of renewal.

But in the end, PMs, given the choice between 'lose now' and 'lose later' will always opt for the latter, unless delaying further looks patently absurd.
    No. I still ain’t buying it.

The expensive strategists must be providing a bundle of projections and modelling into the decision making, so we need to stop thinking it’s Rishi’s thoughts and feelings only. It’s professional results the strategists get their next paying gigs from. It’s Shareprice for them.

Take just one piece of modelling as example. If the strategists and Rishi round table convince themselves boat crossings will increase this summer as modelling predicts it will, can they really schedule an election to take place after a summer of increased boat crossings? They can’t David, they really can’t.

All this Rwanda palaver to build a front there’s a working policy stopping the boats, it would be blown out the water whether flights take off or not. It’s important realise getting the best possible result now is nothing to do with the issues where policy competes with Labour, best on economy, housing, NHS etc are battles long since lost - the Tories can save 50 seats or more in straight battle with Reform on double digits in polls after stealing Tory voters.

Can the Tories schedule an election for the other side of a summer of increased boat crossings?
    Against which: can the Tories schedule an election immediately after (or during) the worst NHS crisis in its history?

Migrant boats are a right-wing-tabloid obsession. They impact very few people directly. Not being able to get a hospital appointment for 30 months, be seen in A&E for 12 hours or get an ambulance for 4 hours is something very different. Not only will lots more actually be affected but orders of magnitude more will worry that they could be, if they need the care.

Reform will not cost the Tories anything like 50 seats (and either way, there's precious little they can do about it).
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,739
    Nigelb said:

SandraMc said:

IanB2 said:

I think Davey should resign. He's not going to be PM, nor even in government because the LDs won't risk that again so soon. Therefore his only target is to deliver the most seats for LDs.

Aside from it being the right thing to do, Davey would boost LD chances by resigning as a matter of honour. It would show that the LDs are committed to the highest standards of public service.

Won't happen of course.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,484

Talking about scumbags....Joey Barton appears to be another that is having the social-media fuelled mid-life crisis...

Addressing Aluko, he wrote on X: 'How is she even talking about Men's football. She can't even kick a ball properly. Your coverage of the game EFC last night, took it to a new low. Eni Aluko and Lucy Ward, the Fred and Rose West of football commentary.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12929489/Joey-Barton-attacks-ITVs-FA-Cup-round-punditry-team-sick-taunt-Eni-Aluko-commentator-Lucy-Ward-claims-coverage-reached-new-low.html

I have a small smidge of sympathy with the arguments around womens footballers commentating on mens football. Until recently womens football was played in front of tiny crowds and frankly the standard was abysmal. There is no comparison in experience of female players with the mens premiership and international game, so if you are employing them on the basis of their experience, its wrong. If you are employing them for their knowledge of football and their love of the game, thats a different matter. In the same way I wouldn't expect male footballers to have much of a concept of womens football.

But fundamentally, Barton is a dick
    His wider criticism is true, that in general the quality of commentary and analysis on Sky, TNT, BBC (male and female) is piss poor and they don't know very much about the tactics behind the modern game...and that there are people on the t'interweb that actually do know, but they never get an opportunity.

Sky Cricket came to this realisation 5 years ago or so and out went Botham, Holding etc. Compare their lazy analysis where they didn't even know the players, let alone the tactics, versus an Eoin Morgan or Kumar Sangakkara.

For the most part, football coverage is still stuck in the dark ages.
    Kumar Sangakkara is great at doing it.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    Nigelb said:

Interesting for this to appear on a fairly conservative news site.

Trump’s evangelical voters remain loyal as he violates the Ten Commandments
    https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/4389317-trumps-evangelical-voters-remain-loyal-as-he-violates-the-ten-commandments/

I personally do not find it particularly remarkable that a President who has loaded the SC with 3 Justices allowing Roe-v-Wade to be overturned has the support of Evangelicals, for all his many faults. The Evangelical movement have been plotting this reversal through the courts for at least a couple of decades and Trump is the man who delivered for them.

It is yet another defect of the current system that Trump was able to appoint 3 Justices whilst Biden has only had 1 and that to replace a liberal so the balance of power was not affected at all.
  • Options
    edited January 5
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

SandraMc said:

IanB2 said:

Me too, Nigel.
    Why give him a harder time than the Tories who filled the role, both prior and after?
    Because you expect this kind of shit from Tories; LDs should be better than that.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,717
    SandraMc said:

IanB2 said:

https://x.com/DanNeidle/status/1742989974041932042?s=20

Dan Neidle
    @DanNeidle
    This seems unfair. HSF is a big firm and there’s no reason someone working on the policy side would be involved in the litigation side. If Davey was involved in the Post Office matter that’s a disgrace, but (from my knowledge of law firms) that seems very unlikely.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,528

Yes, the public does understand that the PM isn't going to commit electoral suicide before he has to. On the other hand, the public does want an election now and calling for one - even if it's unlikely to happen - won't go down badly.

Whether 'bottled it' is the right phrase to use I'm doubtful about. 'Frit', or some variant, might be better. But the gist is right.

Isn’t there an argument the Tory strategists, who they pay lot of money to, have wargamed this, modelled this, and come to the conclusion it needs a cheerful, turned a corner, springlike election? Absolutely everything is screaming at us it’s May rather than gathering gloom of a recession hit autumn,, not least the timing of tax cuts and budget and using recent drop in inflation, and sensible avoiding of issues later in the year such as predicted surge in channel crossings, technical recession, business bankruptcies. Tax cuts in spring can actually increase inflation.

Whilst telling us it’s an election from July onward yesterday, Sunak was specifically asked to rule out May and wouldn’t.
    Media and commentators pay too much attention to technical and arbitrary definitions of 'recessions' (which were only thought up in the first place to palm off ignorant journalists), and not enough to how people are feeling.

Tory strategists can only go with a turned-the-corner election if people actually think things have turned a corner; not just in the economy but in, say, the NHS too. Not to mention that a Spring election didn't do much for John Major in 1997. Indeed, there's just as much chance that people look to Labour as the seasonal source of renewal.

But in the end, PMs, given the choice between 'lose now' and 'lose later' will always opt for the latter, unless delaying further looks patently absurd.

The expensive strategists must be providing a bundle of projections and modelling into the decision making, so we need to stop thinking it’s Rishi’s thoughts and feelings only. It’s professional results the strategists get their next paying gigs from. It’s Shareprice for them.

Take just one piece of modelling as example. If the strategists and Rishi round table convince themselves boat crossings will increase this summer as modelling predicts it will, can they really schedule an election to take place after a summer of increased boat crossings? They can’t David, they really can’t.

All this Rwanda palaver to build a front there’s a working policy stopping the boats, it would be blown out the water whether flights take off or not. It’s important realise getting the best possible result now is nothing to do with the issues where policy competes with Labour, best on economy, housing, NHS etc are battles long since lost - the Tories can save 50 seats or more in straight battle with Reform on double digits in polls after stealing Tory voters.

Can the Tories schedule an election for the other side of a summer of increased boat crossings?
    Rishi is a politician though.

An unusual one and pretty poor in many ways. But still a politician.

And that means that
    a) he's at least a bit addicted to the game and will struggle to walk away and
    b) he's personally convinced that This Will Work. Even if it's obvious it won't. The easiest person to fool is yourself and all that.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,281

SandraMc said:

IanB2 said:

Did he know that at the time? Most of this has come out properly in recent years.
    Even if Davey did not know at the time (and at the very least he knew a large group was taking legal action) he should perhaps have asked questions. We are plagued by politicians both ignorant and incurious.
    Davey should have asked more questions. He has said that, and its self-evident. Question is whether responsibility for the entire scandal sits on his shoulders as some are inferring or whether he was just one of many ministers who skate through roles without every getting to grips with the department properly.

This is one thing which Rory Stewart mentions a lot. He would have ministers retained in any given role for 2 years. This allows them to actually understand what is happening and be effective. Vs being asked a question like Davey and giving the answer provided by the officials...
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,919

Bates should get a knighthood but he would be unlikely to accept any gong until Vennells and Cook return theirs.

It's the dates that get me. The scandal has been going on for over 20 years now and it's fair to say it was a slow-burner, although not now because of the TV series. Nevertheless the cat was well and truly out of the bag by 2019. So who authorised Vennells' gong? Did nobody even check Wikipedia? What on earth was the Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust doing giving her a post in April 2019 when it was obvious why she had left the PO. Who made her a non-executive board member of the Cabinet Office in the same year?

It's hard to escape the conclusion that there is a chumocracy in operation here, or worse, she has a tale to tell and has to be kept sweet.
    I refer you to (I think it's) @Malmesbury 's concept of the "NU10K". In short, the UK has been coopted and turned into a machine to enrich the NU10K whilst penurising the poors. Bannon's dictum that we are just serfs is true.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Interesting for this to appear on a fairly conservative news site.

Trump’s evangelical voters remain loyal as he violates the Ten Commandments
    https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/4389317-trumps-evangelical-voters-remain-loyal-as-he-violates-the-ten-commandments/

I personally do not find it particularly remarkable that a President who has loaded the SC with 3 Justices allowing Roe-v-Wade to be overturned has the support of Evangelicals, for all his many faults. The Evangelical movement have been plotting this reversal through the courts for at least a couple of decades and Trump is the man who delivered for them.

It is yet another defect of the current system that Trump was able to appoint 3 Justices whilst Biden has only had 1 and that to replace a liberal so the balance of power was not affected at all.
    And of course 1 of Trumps should have been chosen by Obama. The whole US system stinks right now.
  • Options

SandraMc said:

IanB2 said:

Dan Neidle
    @DanNeidle
    This seems unfair. HSF is a big firm and there’s no reason someone working on the policy side would be involved in the litigation side. If Davey was involved in the Post Office matter that’s a disgrace, but (from my knowledge of law firms) that seems very unlikely.
    That won't do.

He was Minister responsible for the PO. Any firm acting for them should have been taboo.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732
    IanB2 said:

Also a CBE and public health sinecure for the Chairman at Fujitsu UK, who just happened also to be a Tory contributor.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/may/06/labour-question-tories-cronyism-row-donors-public-health-jobs-nhs
  • Options
    edited January 5

Talking about scumbags....Joey Barton appears to be another that is having the social-media fuelled mid-life crisis...

Addressing Aluko, he wrote on X: 'How is she even talking about Men's football. She can't even kick a ball properly. Your coverage of the game EFC last night, took it to a new low. Eni Aluko and Lucy Ward, the Fred and Rose West of football commentary.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12929489/Joey-Barton-attacks-ITVs-FA-Cup-round-punditry-team-sick-taunt-Eni-Aluko-commentator-Lucy-Ward-claims-coverage-reached-new-low.html

I have a small smidge of sympathy with the arguments around womens footballers commentating on mens football. Until recently womens football was played in front of tiny crowds and frankly the standard was abysmal. There is no comparison in experience of female players with the mens premiership and international game, so if you are employing them on the basis of their experience, its wrong. If you are employing them for their knowledge of football and their love of the game, thats a different matter. In the same way I wouldn't expect male footballers to have much of a concept of womens football.

His wider criticism is true, that in general the quality of commentary and analysis on Sky, TNT, BBC (male and female) is piss poor and they don't know very much about the tactics behind the modern game...and that there are people on the t'interweb that actually do know, but they never get an opportunity.

Sky Cricket came to this realisation 5 years ago or so and out went Botham, Holding etc. Compare their lazy analysis where they didn't even know the players, let alone the tactics, versus an Eoin Morgan or Kumar Sangakkara.

I would say he is currently the best. Got unique combination of charm, humour, along with one of the greats of the game and still actively involved at the elite level and thus being incredibly knowledgable which he has the ability to disseminate.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,484

And that means that
    b) he's personally convinced that This Will Work. Even if it's obvious it won't. The easiest person to fool is yourself and all that.
    Answer the question Stu. If convinced by the experts and the modelling, can the Tories schedule an election for the other side of a summer of increased boat crossings?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    edited January 5
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

SandraMc said:

IanB2 said:

Me too, Nigel.
    No, I wouldn't do that, as the scandal has become more blatant, not less. A succession of business ministers have seriously failed, with increasing, not decreasing culpability.

A bit of googling turns up the story at the time. I suppose it's possible he didn't connect the two things. But he ought to have done, IMO.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/15/ed-davey-to-advise-law-firm-herbert-smith-on-renewable-energy-projects
    Ed Davey, the former energy secretary, is to start private work today for City lawyers connected with both Hinkley Point C nuclear plant and the Swansea Bay lagoon.

Davey has been given clearance by the Cabinet Office to provide consultancy to Herbert Smith, a law firm that provides advice on the two power projects and where his brother is also employed.

The Liberal Democrat minister, who lost his parliamentary seat in the spring general election, says he will only help Herbert Smith on renewable power projects, but not the Swansea Bay tidal project or Hinkley Point. Herbert Smith has a major energy practice...

As an aside, I'm pretty sure I posted some of the early Computer Weekly stories about the Post Office on PB during the coalition years. There wasn't a great deal of interest.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

SandraMc said:

IanB2 said:

Me too, Nigel.
    Because you expect this kind of shit from Tories; LDs should be better than that.
    Oh there is so much shit flying around from this that no Party is clean, but we should all be prepared to call it like it is, and even if we are sympathetic generally to the LDs we shouldn't hesitate to ask for explanations,and draw the appropriate conclusions from them.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732

And that means that
    I know it is juvenile, but it made me smile. Labour have this banner add on the ConHome website today...

• Options
    edited January 5

SandraMc said:

IanB2 said:

Dan Neidle
    @DanNeidle
    That won't do.

He was Minister responsible for the PO. Any firm acting for them should have been taboo.
    He started working for HSF 2 years after he left government, so following ACOBA rules and cleared by the Cabinet Office.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,961
    I've not watched it but the Post Office Doc is gaining traction. Trousering cash from the sols who acted for the PO is to put it mildly... not a good look. Danger point for Ed Davey in an election campaign tbh.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

SandraMc said:

IanB2 said:

Me too, Nigel.
    No, I wouldn't do that, as the scandal has become more blatant, not less. A succession of business ministers have seriously failed, with increasing, not decreasing culpability.

A bit of googling turns up the story at the time. I suppose it's possible he didn't connect the two things. But he ought to have done, IMO.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/15/ed-davey-to-advise-law-firm-herbert-smith-on-renewable-energy-projects
    Ed Davey, the former energy secretary, is to start private work today for City lawyers connected with both Hinkley Point C nuclear plant and the Swansea Bay lagoon.

Davey has been given clearance by the Cabinet Office to provide consultancy to Herbert Smith, a law firm that provides advice on the two power projects and where his brother is also employed.

The Liberal Democrat minister, who lost his parliamentary seat in the spring general election, says he will only help Herbert Smith on renewable power projects, but not the Swansea Bay tidal project or Hinkley Point. Herbert Smith has a major energy practice...

As an aside, I'm pretty sure I posted some of the early Computer Weekly stories about the Post Office on PB during the coalition years. There wasn't a great deal of interest.
    The good old revolving (Albeit delayed for two years due to the *rules*) political - business merry go round.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,668
    edited January 5

SandraMc said:

IanB2 said:

Did he know that at the time? Most of this has come out properly in recent years.
    Even if Davey did not know at the time (and at the very least he knew a large group was taking legal action) he should perhaps have asked questions. We are plagued by politicians both ignorant and incurious.
    As a LD it upsets me, particularly as I am involved in a campaign with many parallels. Fortunately it only involves money (nobody has died or gone to prison), but people are a lot poorer because of a Govt (civil service) cockup that is very old and unresolved. There are so many of these scandals and next time I hear some say 'We must learn the lessons from this' I am going to punch someone, because we never do.

Having done a huge FOI on our case I find a lot of it is just civil servants, who appear to want to avoid the investigation and the problems that will arise from it, so cover it up, with a nothing to see hear response. Sadly every minister's letter however is word for word the draft supplied to them by their civil servants with no questions asked about the briefing they receive. This is quite clear from the FOI response. The ministers, in nearly every case, seem to serve no purpose other than to forward the civil servants draft reply. What the hell are ministers there for in these cases?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

And that means that
    I know it is juvenile, but it made me smile. Labour have this banner add on the ConHome website today...

Yep, thats like my Mortgage negotiation vs my current deal:
    Truss Tax +£245 (2yr fix agreed in November to start February)
    Rishi discount -£75 (new 2 yr fix is cheaper on Jan sale mortgage cut rates)

Rishi will want to spin that thanks to him I am now £75 a month better off. No Rishi, I am £170 a month worse off.

Then again, my MP was an ardent Trussite. Maybe I should call this the Duguid Tax.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,518
    viewcode said:

Bates should get a knighthood but he would be unlikely to accept any gong until Vennells and Cook return theirs.

It's the dates that get me. The scandal has been going on for over 20 years now and it's fair to say it was a slow-burner, although not now because of the TV series. Nevertheless the cat was well and truly out of the bag by 2019. So who authorised Vennells' gong? Did nobody even check Wikipedia? What on earth was the Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust doing giving her a post in April 2019 when it was obvious why she had left the PO. Who made her a non-executive board member of the Cabinet Office in the same year?

It's hard to escape the conclusion that there is a chumocracy in operation here, or worse, she has a tale to tell and has to be kept sweet.
    I refer you to (I think it's) @Malmesbury 's concept of the "NU10K". In short, the UK has been coopted and turned into a machine to enrich the NU10K whilst penurising the poors. Bannon's dictum that we are just serfs is true.
    New Upper 10,000 refers to the old observation that countries were run by the aristocracies and their moderately distant relations.

The NU10K is a bit more diverse, but have adopted the sense of entitlement, arrogance, immunity from consequences* and general fuckwittery associated with the Old Upper 10,000.

A lot of John Wilkes journalism was about the OU10K

*An important part of the No Consequences thing is ensuring that No Consequences occur for other NU10Kers.
  • Options

Foxy said:

And that means that

Rishi will want to spin that thanks to him I am now £75 a month better off. No Rishi, I am £170 a month worse off.

Then again, my MP was an ardent Trussite. Maybe I should call this the Duguid Tax.
    Interest rates were always going to rise from their exceptionally low rates, particularly in an environment of high inflation (yes, we didn't know Ukraine was going to happen; we did, however, know what happens when you print money like we did during the covid era).

Truss turbo-charged that acceleration and Sunak brought it back down a bit but the real issue with mortgage payments is the prices of houses in the first place.
  • Options

I would say he is currently the best. Got unique combination of charm, humour, along with one of the greats of the game and still actively involved at the elite level and thus being incredibly knowledgable which he has the ability to disseminate.
    I really like Dinesh Karthik who can be very droll but in terms of identifying the plays and the tactics Kevin Peterson is very hard to beat. He reads the ,modern game so much better than those whose active careers stopped before IPL was really a thing.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,528

And that means that
    Answer the question Stu. If convinced by the experts and the modelling, can the Tories schedule an election for the other side of a summer of increased boat crossings?
    They can, and the outcome for the Conservative Party as an institution will probably be worse than had they gone in May.

But the Conservatives have been blocking out inconvenient expert advice for ages now.
  • Options
    edited January 5
    DavidL said:

I really like Dinesh Karthik who can be very droll but in terms of identifying the plays and the tactics Kevin Peterson is very hard to beat. He reads the ,modern game so much better than those whose active careers stopped before IPL was really a thing.
    Agree with KP, although he is obviously much more marmite personality.

I have said this before, but Sky Cricket have of all the sports / channels have moved with the times, particularly their T20 coverage. They got Rob Key when he retired and he was very good on short form insight, as is Daren Sammy. Stuart Broad has been pretty good as well, albeit I think they want him on test cricket rather than short form.

Where as we have the likes of Tuffers trying to tell us about T20 / Hundred on BBC....a man beyond bowling in long form cricket, he spent the rest of his time asleep.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,542
    tlg86 said:

The BBC are at it again:

https://twitter.com/BBCAfrica/status/1743064388758606164

Oscar Pistorius - the fallen hero and his future

I’ve always had a lot of sympathy for Oscar Pistorius.

He’s not the only bloke who has fired his load at his girlfriend on Valentine’s Day yet he’s the only one to end up in prison.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,488
    edited January 5
    Re Davey, without assessing the merits of the situation it does have the potential to cause a problem for the LDs, if it continues to grow legs.

More than other parties people tend to only really focus on Lib Dem leaders at a GE campaign. Last time out, the public took against Jo Swinson, despite her having won quite a few plaudits for her time as leader before the campaign. Tim Farron found himself in a tricky position in 2017 where every interview was less about LD policy and more about his views on gay sex.

If every interview with Davey turns into a what did you/didn’t you do and know re the PO scandal, it could be very problematic for them.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,113

And that means that
    They can, and the outcome for the Conservative Party as an institution will probably be worse than had they gone in May.

But the Conservatives have been blocking out inconvenient expert advice for ages now.
    Sunak was reportedly considering bringing back their proven election winning expert Dominic Cummings.
  • Options
    edited January 5

Foxy said:

And that means that

Interest rates were always going to rise from their exceptionally low rates, particularly in an environment of high inflation (yes, we didn't know Ukraine was going to happen; we did, however, know what happens when you print money like we did during the covid era).

Truss turbo-charged that acceleration and Sunak brought it back down a bit but the real issue with mortgage payments is the prices of houses in the first place.
    The only way that asset prices can be controlled is to increase their cost so that their return is diminished.

In the context of housing this means mortgage rates and Council tax. The supposedly low inflation of the years to the end of 2022 was counterbalanced by asset inflation to the very considerable advantage of the "haves" in our society (which include me in a modest way) and to the detriment of the "have nots", specifically the young trying to get on the housing ladder. This has been an intergenerational disgrace and whilst I have sympathy for those who took out large mortgages at low rates, it really had to be rectified.
  • Options
    edited January 5

Foxy said:

And that means that

I note my bank, FD is offering a 2 yr fix at FD 4.54%, with their 5 yr at 4.14% & a 10 yr at 3.99 ! - Implies the long run expectation is for rates to head back to about 3.5% - which seems optimistic but perhaps not..
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,714
    Moonwalk said:

Joe Rogan & Dr. Aseem Malhotra on Celebrities Keeping Their Vaccine Injuries Private

“A lot of them have stories…people that I know that have come up to me privately to tell me about their own vaccine injury”

@joerogan

@DrAseemMalhotra

https://x.com/TheChiefNerd/status/1652491028316708864?s=20

I know it's been banned, but I do wonder why they bother now.
    Everyone has had the vaccine that is going to have it, so even if it were true about 'vaccine problems' it's too late to do anything about it now anyway.

Plus, its not true. If the vaccine (any vaccine?, it doesn't say) was so bad, you'd notice in your own lives. Work colleagues dying unexpectedly, neighbours likewise etc.
    But it isn't true.

I don't know why they still talk about it. Just a lunatic echo chamber now.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,209
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

And that means that

I note my bank, FD is offering a 2 yr fix at FD 4.54%, with their 5 yr at 4.14% & a 10 yr at 3.99 ! - Implies the long run expectation is for rates to head back to about 3.5% - which seems optimistic but perhaps not..
    Base rate 3% to 4% over the longer term seems plausible and reasonable. It is quite possible that CPI could fall dramatically to maybe 1% by Spring but will start to increase again from the summer as effects such as pay rises and possible tax reductions kick in. The Bank will be aware of this and will be cautious in reducing rates.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,919
    2:45pm: @TheScreamingEagles

...I’ve always had a lot of sympathy for Oscar Pistorius...

2:45pm: @numbertwelve

...it does have the potential to cause a problem for the LDs, if it continues to grow legs...

Hmm

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    Foxy said:

And that means that

ConHome should put out an editorial saying thanks Labour for the cash, and encourage their readers to all click the links.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,877
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Is consumer spending really in the khazi?

“Service sector ends year on a high
    Recovery in consumer spending eases recession fears”

- Times, yesterday

Reading this site you would think everyone in the UK was having gruel for dinner every night.
    It's [edit] disproportionately middle class educated males in settled careers or retired on here, though.

Plus some of us have it daily, only we have it for breakfast and call it porridge.
    I believe broth is an accepted alternative ?
    At lunchtime! Yes. Just had some potato and leek broth/gruel.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

And that means that

10 years at 3.99% seems an extremely good deal to me. When you think that most of our inflation (and hence rise in interest rates) was caused by Covid and Ukraine with current apprehensions about the operability of the Red Sea it can be seen that it is the unexpected and unpredicted that can cause problems.

At present we have nation states with fairly chronic balance sheets damaged by the costs of Covid (a cool £400 bn in our case). The risks of default or such indebted states trying to inflate their way out of this must be significant over a 10 year window.

DYOR etc but wow, that is attractive.
  • Options
    edited January 5

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

I see it’s a day for persuading folk that The Telegraph (& its attached wart, The Spectator) is a noble, shining, independent jewel in the crown of British journalism.

Good luck with that.

And the Middle East is a bastion of press freedom.
    Fairly philosophical about Alien and Predator taking chunks out of each other and not much bothered by the outcome tbh. The UK is already in hock to the ME and them replacing the likes of the Barclay brothers and Murdoch doesn’t seem a huge downward move. Almost needless to say but I’ve given up on expecting upward moves in the media landscape.
    You’ve always got The National as that last final bastion of total press liberty. I understand that if you give them a call they will print an extra copy for you
    The National is necessary if only for the Yoon screeches it induces.
    Always interesting how the Yoons try to say "not our fault, your lot's fault" when they made it necessary in the first place, by wrecking the Herald and then having to rush it out to try and recapture some of the lost circulation.

Personally I'd rather have the Herald and Scotsman back of old before they were terminally Yoonized.
    The Scotsman used to be an excellent newspaper. Then Andrew Neil got involved.
    Exactly. Remember the social column, nay whole page, with all the photos that was introduced at the time - like something from the DT socials, or is my memory betraying me? Colour snap of "Mrs John Cholmondeley-Chimpanzee and Mrs Hamish Glentumbler of Speyside enjoy a joke at the Balmoral Highland Games", repeated about three score times.

You could instantly spot the new, and much reduced, target market. Circulation changed as would be expected.
  • Options
    edited January 5

Moonwalk said:

Joe Rogan & Dr. Aseem Malhotra on Celebrities Keeping Their Vaccine Injuries Private

“A lot of them have stories…people that I know that have come up to me privately to tell me about their own vaccine injury”

@joerogan

@DrAseemMalhotra

Everyone has had the vaccine that is going to have it, so even if it were true about 'vaccine problems' it's too late to do anything about it now anyway.

Plus, its not true. If the vaccine (any vaccine?, it doesn't say) was so bad, you'd notice in your own lives. Work colleagues dying unexpectedly, neighbours likewise etc.
    But it isn't true.

Notoriously hypochondriac celebrities seem like the last group you want to use to test such a hypothesis.
  • Options
    edited January 5
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

And that means that

10 years at 3.99% seems an extremely good deal to me. When you think that most of our inflation (and hence rise in interest rates) was caused by Covid and Ukraine with current apprehensions about the operability of the Red Sea it can be seen that it is the unexpected and unpredicted that can cause problems.

At present we have nation states with fairly chronic balance sheets damaged by the costs of Covid (a cool £400 bn in our case). The risks of default or such indebted states trying to inflate their way out of this must be significant over a 10 year window.

DYOR etc but wow, that is attractive.
    I can't lock it in yet - earliest date for me (180 less ERC date) is 1st October. On 1.59 at the moment..
  • Options

Moonwalk said:

@joerogan

@DrAseemMalhotra

But it isn't true.

Notoriously hypochondriac celebrities seem like the last group you want to use to test such a hypothesis.
    I don't understand why they don't post similar stuff about their collagen injections in lips, bums, wherever (I hate to think) from dodgy practitioners.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,113

Moonwalk said:

@joerogan

@DrAseemMalhotra

But it isn't true.

It probably resonates with people who never took the vaccine and want their contrarianism to be vindicated.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,518
    Carnyx said:

Moonwalk said:

@joerogan

@DrAseemMalhotra

But it isn't true.

I don't understand why they don't post similar stuff about their collagen injections in lips, bums, wherever (I hate to think) from dodgy practitioners.
    Or taking random chemicals from random street pharmaceutical suppliers.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Moonwalk said:

@joerogan

@DrAseemMalhotra

But it isn't true.

Don't forget all the PEDs most of them are on....Despite what he says, that bloke who plays Jack Reacher ain't natty.
  • Options
    No investigation into Prince Andrew - Met Police

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-67893392

Too busy investigating Israeli war crimes?
  • Options

Too busy investigating Israeli war crimes?

Apparently the Israeli war crimes unit also takes stuff to do with Ukraine, or anywhere else in conflict really - just the current focus is that area.. and then they send stuff to the ICC.

I did wonder why it was the MET dealing with this though - seems a national function and a touch unfair on London council tax payers; although I guess the MET has a fair few 'national' functions in it's scope.
  • Options

The new allegation concerns something that happened in the US. The UK police don't generally investigate crimes that (or may have) occurred in the US.
  • Options

The new allegation concerns something that happened in the US. The UK police don't generally investigate crimes that (or may have) occurred in the US.
    The US haven't been adverse to investigating crimes that happen here though :p
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,475
    Tom Scott fans might be interested to see his retirement has made the Guardian.
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2024/jan/05/youtuber-tom-scott-ends-things-you-might-not-know-series
  • Options
    edited January 5
    This is really low down dirty stuff...

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/01/04/business/bill-ackman-wife-plagiarism/index.html

And here is the reply

"For each of the four paragraphs in question, I properly credited the original source's author(s) with references at the end of each of the subject paragraphs, and in the detailed bibliography end pages of the dissertation. "

https://x.com/NeriOxman/status/1742993073078947843?s=20

Not only is it not in the same ball park as Gay, she isn't the head of a prestigious institution. Her only connection to any of this is she is the wife of a large scale donor, who was involved in the campaign to expose Gay's wrong doings.
  • Options

Eh? Without wanting to be specific about this particular case, there are certain laws which are activated even if the crimes are committed overseas (as well as those committed on notional UK territory such as a UK-registered ship).
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,542

NEW THREAD

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Just seen SKS speech yesterday

My main observation is why has he got a large box of Lodl eggs in front of him?
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/01/04/sir-keir-starmer-promises-mission-led-project-hope-labour/
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,622

SandraMc said:

IanB2 said:

Davey's form letter brushoff of Bates request, was then and is still a blunder, indeed a disgrace.

Efforts of LibDemtards on here to excuse and exculpate are WAY less than impressive OR persuasive.

BTW, Labour Lovies also need to recognize culpability of Blair-Brown governments in this tri-partisan (at least) scandal.

As for CUP Holders, well, don't hold your breath waiting for any of YOUR shower to fess up. About as likely as an apology from the Bullingdon Club for trashing a tea room.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,622
    Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

And that means that

ConHome should put out an editorial saying thanks Labour for the cash, and encourage their readers to all click the links.
    So ConHome is so hard up for funding, that they publish Labour ads on their website?

Hell, any money that Labour pays out for the ad shown & others, is definitely a bargain for Starmer & Etc.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Carnyx said:

Flanner said:

viewcode said:

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

"Sir Howard Davies: Not that difficult to buy a home, says NatWest chair"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67890334

"Torsten Bell, boss of the Resolution Foundation think tank which focuses on improving living standards for those on low to middle incomes, tweeted prior to Sir Howard's comments that the most common living arrangement for an adult aged between 18 and 34 in 1997 was "being in a couple with children".

"Today the most common is... living with your parents""
    Whether one blames it on Labour, Conservatives, or anybody else, there is no doubt we have really, really fucked up the post-Cold-War generation. A generation that can't buy a house and start a family in their 20s is going to have massively reduced life outcomes in their 40/50/60s.

"A generation that can't buy a house and start a family in their 20s is going to have massively reduced life outcomes in their 40/50/60s."

Cobblers.

In my parents' generation, 60% of the population couldn't buy a house in their 20's - or at any other point in their lives. Not a single family in my neighbourhood when I left it for university in the late1960s owned their own house. And, btw, nothing Thatcher did changed things for people renting privately: when we moved my parents into sheltered accommodation in the 1990s, no-one in the neighbourhood owned their house.
    But a much increased private renting sector now, far smaller council/social sector. Mrs T started that shift, so in that sense she did change things.
    Not for the better though
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Flanner said:

viewcode said:

Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

"Sir Howard Davies: Not that difficult to buy a home, says NatWest chair"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67890334

"Torsten Bell, boss of the Resolution Foundation think tank which focuses on improving living standards for those on low to middle incomes, tweeted prior to Sir Howard's comments that the most common living arrangement for an adult aged between 18 and 34 in 1997 was "being in a couple with children".

"Today the most common is... living with your parents""
    Whether one blames it on Labour, Conservatives, or anybody else, there is no doubt we have really, really fucked up the post-Cold-War generation. A generation that can't buy a house and start a family in their 20s is going to have massively reduced life outcomes in their 40/50/60s.

"A generation that can't buy a house and start a family in their 20s is going to have massively reduced life outcomes in their 40/50/60s."

Cobblers.

In my parents' generation, 60% of the population couldn't buy a house in their 20's - or at any other point in their lives. Not a single family in my neighbourhood when I left it for university in the late1960s owned their own house. And, btw, nothing Thatcher did changed things for people renting privately: when we moved my parents into sheltered accommodation in the 1990s, no-one in the neighbourhood owned their house.
    But a much increased private renting sector now, far smaller council/social sector. Mrs T started that shift, so in that sense she did change things.
    She also enabled people to buy their council homes, ensuring that by the late 1980s a clear majority of the UK population owned their own home with or without a mortgage for the first time
    yes and all the spiv's and grifter's bought them up and now it is a shambles with people paying extortionite rents.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

And that means that

A 5 yr fix was half a percent cheaper. But I expect rates to drop more than that...
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,866
    edited January 5
    So apart from a brush-off letter sent in his first week of office as Post Office Minister, what precisely is the dirt on Ed Davey?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

And that means that

The only way that asset prices can be controlled is to increase their cost so that their return is diminished.

In the context of housing this means mortgage rates and Council tax. The supposedly low inflation of the years to the end of 2022 was counterbalanced by asset inflation to the very considerable advantage of the "haves" in our society (which include me in a modest way) and to the detriment of the "have nots", specifically the young trying to get on the housing ladder. This has been an intergenerational disgrace and whilst I have sympathy for those who took out large mortgages at low rates, it really had to be rectified.
    Yes, although a big increase in housing supply would also help to moderate prices.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,324
    Already, we have 15 mins more light in the evening :)
This discussion has been closed.