Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sunak should be looking for a new Home Secretary – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

On topic, I don’t often say this but @tse is right - it is a distasteful joke anyway but he is HS and it is unacceptable.

TBF, Sunak also needs to go - I think he gets challenged in Q1

Not often I get to agree with a TKC posting (with the first part anyway) so leapt to hit the like button.

Happy/Merry Christmas to you & yours!
  • Options
    Just back from the Christmas Night service for children.

Anyone got tips for a good sedative?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,840
    An anniversary I don’t think we marked yesterday,

Happy December 23rd.

The most important day in American history.

#OTD in 1783 General George #Washington surrendered his commission and set his most important precedent…giving up power

https://twitter.com/craigbrucesmith/status/1738671227726594217

George III called him ‘one of the greatest of all men’ for doing so.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,957
    spudgfsh said:

TOPPING said:

But I'm with Cookie. Out and about today Greggs was ram packed.

people buying christmas dinner at greggs?
    Luncheon.

https://www.greggs.co.uk/news/the-greggs-christmas-menu-has-dropped-and-it-s-delicious
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,210
  • Options

IF you discover that current North Dakota Governor and alleged Republican POTUS hopeful Doug Burgum is getting stuck in to your chimney, sure sign that Santa Claus is on his way!

Do you know WHY???

Leon has lent you some of his psychedelics ?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,750
    edited December 2023
    Mortimer said:

MattW said:

Just off the phone with a friend who I planned to invite for a meal during the week.

It seems he caught COVID at his own gym's Christmas Party, so he's self-isolating throughout.

He'll be feeling like MUD
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ6kJ7GWtv0

Snap! Been doing the same since Tuesday! I think I got it at a Christmas party too.

Incidentally, exact same symptoms (albeit in a slightly milder form) as I had in December 2019. We've pushed Xmas plans back a couple of days...
    Unlike me, he didn't qualify for the autumn COVID jab.

I'll be dropping off a Christmas Box tomorrow, but since he's a non-drinking protein guzzling gym owner it was a bit difficult.

So he's getting several of:

A pack of mini "free from" mince pies.
    A box of small, expensive chocolates.
    A jar of posh fruit conserve.
    A mini one man Christmas pud.
    A bottle of Rochester Mulled Spiced Berry punch.
    And some nuts.

And I'm keeping the bottle of gin.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,804
    Happy xmas from me too.

I think next year will be more interesting on PB - less pineapple, less Die Hard, fewer shoes, hopefully more pizza, and certainly more political betting!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,576
    isam said:

Crass remarks indeed. The kind of thing you hear everyday in a kind of “my missus/mother in law” way, but not really what you expect from senior politicians

What did George Osborne say about Theresa May? Chop her up and put her in his freezer? I was always surprised he didn’t get more stick for it. Alastair Meeks and I argued about it on here at the time, I was surprised that he thought it was fair comment

Why were you surprised? Classic Meeks I'd have said.
  • Options

On topic, I don’t often say this but @tse is right - it is a distasteful joke anyway but he is HS and it is unacceptable.

TBF, Sunak also needs to go - I think he gets challenged in Q1

Not often I get to agree with a TKC posting (with the first part anyway) so leapt to hit the like button.

Happy/Merry Christmas to you & yours!
    And to you as well Seashanty!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

MattW said:

Just off the phone with a friend who I planned to invite for a meal during the week.

It seems he caught COVID at his own gym's Christmas Party, so he's self-isolating throughout.

He'll be feeling like MUD
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ6kJ7GWtv0

Snap! Been doing the same since Tuesday! I think I got it at a Christmas party too.

Incidentally, exact same symptoms (albeit in a slightly milder form) as I had in December 2019. We've pushed Xmas plans back a couple of days...
    Get well soon.

I’ve had a couple of Xmases with flu, and it’s not much fun.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,210
    Omnium said:

I think next year will be more interesting on PB - less pineapple, less Die Hard, fewer shoes, hopefully more pizza, and certainly more political betting!

@benatipsos
    Winding down - and need to because 2024 is arguably the biggest election year in the history of humankind — 2 billion plus voters in 50 countries featuring votes in the U.S., India, Pakistan, Mexico, South Africa, Taiwan, Sri Lanka, Indonesia and the United Kingdom, as well as European Parliament elections.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Ewwww
  • Options
    Photo of Swansea police arresting drunk man likened to Renaissance art
    Image was taken just after midnight on last Friday before Christmas, also known as Black Eye Friday for its drunken revelry
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/dec/24/photo-of-swansea-police-arresting-drunk-likened-to-renaissance-art

Love the photographer’s comment.
    ..Born in Greece, Legakis has lived in Wales for 23 years and is still baffled by the British attitude towards alcohol. “I still do not understand it at all. You get people on a Monday saying ‘I can’t wait to get drunk on Friday’. This would never happen in Greece.”
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

IF you discover that current North Dakota Governor and alleged Republican POTUS hopeful Doug Burgum is getting stuck in to your chimney, sure sign that Santa Claus is on his way!

Do you know WHY???

Leon has lent you some of his psychedelics ?
    Er, no - too rich for my blood!
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Ewwww
    He might give you an unrealistically photoshopped drink?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,628
    WRT the Home Secretary, in the actual world all sorts of humour is in amazingly bad taste, and while I see everyone's point, it is possible to get too pearl clutchy about it.

As significant as his bad joking, being HS means not that you cannot say anything, but that your judgement is up for consideration every time you say anything apart from the party line in respect of which people you allow it to be said to That it went public means he got it wrong, and that is a serious lack of judgement. In genuine private people say all kinds of things which would get them sacked and execrated.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,023
    Scott_xP said:

Omnium said:

@benatipsos
    Winding down - and need to because 2024 is arguably the biggest election year in the history of humankind — 2 billion plus voters in 50 countries featuring votes in the U.S., India, Pakistan, Mexico, South Africa, Taiwan, Sri Lanka, Indonesia and the United Kingdom, as well as European Parliament elections.
    Famine to feast...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Happy December 23rd.

#OTD in 1783 General George #Washington surrendered his commission and set his most important precedent…giving up power

Another anniversary is the siege of Bastogne. Next Xmas is the 80th anniversary
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Are we having the usual present tomorrow? Will Santa @MikeSmithson and the elves @TSE and @rcs1000 be bringing us the Xmas Crossword Of Impossibility And Puns?

Racism myths? Err on the crazy side with seasonal greeting (5,9)
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

WRT the Home Secretary, in the actual world all sorts of humour is in amazingly bad taste, and while I see everyone's point, it is possible to get too pearl clutchy about it.

As significant as his bad joking, being HS means not that you cannot say anything, but that your judgement is up for consideration every time you say anything apart from the party line in respect of which people you allow it to be said to That it went public means he got it wrong, and that is a serious lack of judgement. In genuine private people say all kinds of things which would get them sacked and execrated.

I'm slightly of the view that the HS is the person that can say whatever they like. Otherwise who is free to test the boundaries?
  • Options
    Please can you reinstate @Leon.
  • Options
    I am off to the pub shortly 🍺

Happy Christmas to all PB participants 👍
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,074
    viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Happy December 23rd.

Wasn’t that the ‘Nuts’ battle?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Photo of Swansea police arresting drunk man likened to Renaissance art
    Image was taken just after midnight on last Friday before Christmas, also known as Black Eye Friday for its drunken revelry
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/dec/24/photo-of-swansea-police-arresting-drunk-likened-to-renaissance-art

Love the photographer’s comment.
    ..Born in Greece, Legakis has lived in Wales for 23 years and is still baffled by the British attitude towards alcohol. “I still do not understand it at all. You get people on a Monday saying ‘I can’t wait to get drunk on Friday’. This would never happen in Greece.”

I worked for a year as a temp teacher in the naughties in a Swansea School and the attitude was prevalent in the staff room with most teachers!! If the amount of money spent on alcohol was redirected I suspect most families would be able to tackle the cost of living crisis much more easily. Our local shop in pembs makes most of it's money on alcohol, lottery and cigs/vapes I am sure.

• Options
    viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Happy December 23rd.

Until then . . .

I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas - Bing Crosby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIVI4cE9PPo&list=PLu-UhHyzDOW2am8q3BRg3_u4B_TDlngws&index=4
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

The joke itself (whilst not funny) is sort of self-deprecating really - saying his wife has to be medicated so she doesn't go off and find a better husband. It doesn't make me think of Cleverly as a potential rapist, and I don’t see that it would make 'women feel less secure', though that's for a woman to judge. It does (combined with shithole-gate) make me think that Cleverly can't keep his cakehole shut when he thinks he's making a funny. The very short space between these incidents is concerning.

As a matter of fact, I do see a way forward for Sunak here - sack or demote Cleverly, and bring back Patel. It would make Sunak less vulnerable on his right flank, and would (if he cares) undermine Braverman's leadership ambitions, just as the rise of Braverman has damaged Patel's. Those two have a similar profile and modus operandi, and whilst we should be able to have two or more tough-talking British Asian females in senior cabinet posts, that's not the way it's worked out so far.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Happy December 23rd.

Until then . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIVI4cE9PPo&list=PLu-UhHyzDOW2am8q3BRg3_u4B_TDlngws&index=4
    Christmas pub quiz question - No Googling - Name the original film in which Crosby sings 'I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas'.
  • Options

Note that Eugene V. Debs (my avatar) was released from federal prison on Christmas Day, 1921, following commutation of his sentence for sedition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_V._Debs

SO perhaps yet another Christmas amnesty is in the works?

• Options

viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Happy December 23rd.

Until then . . .

Christmas pub quiz question - No Googling - Name the original film in which Crosby sings 'I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas'.
    holiday inn
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,074

algarkirk said:

The joke itself (whilst not funny) is sort of self-deprecating really - saying his wife has to be medicated so she doesn't go off and find a better husband. It doesn't make me think of Cleverly as a potential rapist, and I don’t see that it would make 'women feel less secure', though that's for a woman to judge. It does (combined with shithole-gate) make me think that Cleverly can't keep his cakehole shut when he thinks he's making a funny. The very short space between these incidents is concerning.

As a matter of fact, I do see a way forward for Sunak here - sack or demote Cleverly, and bring back Patel. It would make Sunak less vulnerable on his right flank, and would (if he cares) undermine Braverman's leadership ambitions, just as the rise of Braverman has damaged Patel's. Those two have a similar profile and modus operandi, and whilst we should be able to have two or more tough-talking British Asian females in senior cabinet posts, that's not the way it's worked out so far.
    Patel would either to do a significant volte face on the Wethersfield base or swallow an amount of her words.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Happy December 23rd.

Until then . . .

holiday inn
    Keep that in mind next time you check into a Holiday Inn . . . as you mutter (or shout) "Bah humbug!"
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,809

Note that Eugene V. Debs (my avatar) was released from federal prison on Christmas Day, 1921, following commutation of his sentence for sedition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_V._Debs

SO perhaps yet another Christmas amnesty is in the works?

"It's Christmas...it's the time of miracles" - Snape Hans Gruber
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,007

algarkirk said:

Yes it’s pub talk, no more no less.
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 603

viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Happy December 23rd.

Until then . . .

Holiday Inn.
    I caught the tail end of Sound of Music,
    we had a slice each of Christmas cake and now we're waiting for Carols from
    Kings to start.

It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas.
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 603

Here's the cake before we attacked it.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Are we having the usual present tomorrow? Will Santa @MikeSmithson and the elves @TSE and @rcs1000 be bringing us the Xmas Crossword Of Impossibility And Puns?

Sounds like a whiff of burning (2,4).
  • Options

viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Happy December 23rd.

Until then . . .

holiday inn
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Christmas_(song)
  • Options

It's not Easter you know :)
  • Options

viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Happy December 23rd.

Until then . . .

I see someone got there first.

This is my favourite Bing Crosby story.

How Bing Crosby Made Silicon Valley Possible
    https://www.honest-broker.com/p/how-bing-crosby-made-silicon-valley
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,638
    Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

@RedfieldWilton
    Labour is more trusted than the Conservatives on EVERY policy issue prompted.

Which party do voters trust most on...?

(Labour | Conservatives)

NHS (40% | 19%)
    Housing (36% | 20%)
    Education (35% | 22%)
    Immigration (30% | 23%)
    Economy (33% | 28%)
    Ukraine (28% | 27%)

The one to watch is clearly the economy. Hunt seems like a pretty good chancellor so far, but we'll almost certainly never know because he's, by inheritance, bad news only. Reeves is clearly Labour's brightest economic spark ever (I know that Brown has his fans, but they're plain wrong), and as Starmer will undoubtedly have no money it'll be interesting how she fares.

I can't see very much difference between the parties' policies now anyway.
    5% lead on economy. Labour struggling to pull away on better for economy, best for growth, however it’s asked by pollsters, despite “everything” Conservatives still just behind Labour on best for the economy.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,608
    edited December 2023
    viewcode said:

Yes, StJohn sent me the PB Christmas crossword a week last Sunday.

If you all denounce Die Hard the idea of it as a Christmas movie now then I shall publish it tomorrow.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,007
    edited December 2023

isam said:

Crass remarks indeed. The kind of thing you hear everyday in a kind of “my missus/mother in law” way, but not really what you expect from senior politicians

What did George Osborne say about Theresa May? Chop her up and put her in his freezer? I was always surprised he didn’t get more stick for it. Alastair Meeks and I argued about it on here at the time, I was surprised that he thought it was fair comment

I agreed with him on quite a lot of things actually, and kept in touch a lot away from here. I could never understand though, why he was so outraged about Nigel Farage saying he was ready to "don khaki, pick up a rifle and head for the front lines", an obvious metaphor for returning to politics in 2017 if Brexit was thwarted, yet thought Osborne’s comments perfectly ok. They had to be both wrong or both fine for me, albeit Osborne’s seemed more deranged - you just wouldn’t say it
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,638

Ratcliffe buys 25% of Man Utd confirmed and has control of all football operations

But not the purse strings.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,449

viewcode said:

If you all denounce Die Hard as a Christmas movie now then I shall publish it tomorrow.
    I'm really surprised you want us to denounce Die Hard, but even more so that you want us to denounce it by calling it a Christmas movie.
  • Options

Ratcliffe buys 25% of Man Utd confirmed and has control of all football operations

Seems on football he has and is investing nearly quarter of a billion of his own money

It is a strange relationship but Glazers giving up control of football matters is good and hopefully the start of the end of their ownership
  • Options

Seems on football he has and is investing nearly quarter of a billion of his own money

It is a strange relationship but Glazers giving up control of football matters is good and hopefully the start of the end of their ownership
    Maybe, or perhaps the Glazers are shrewd enough to see that if someone else can restore the playing side, there will be even more dollars flowing back across the Atlantic.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

If you all denounce Die Hard as a Christmas movie now then I shall publish it tomorrow.
    I'm really surprised you want us to denounce Die Hard, but even more so that you want us to denounce it by calling it a Christmas movie.
    What would you do for a pineapple armistice?

(Goodies Xmas album;
    There's a girl in 3c,
    she has a pimple on her knee
    I gave her three p,
    And she showed it to me

PS. Wonder what she'd do for a quid?

PPS I've almost certainly misremembered this)

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,396
    edited December 2023

Maybe, or perhaps the Glazers are shrewd enough to see that if someone else can restore the playing side, there will be even more dollars flowing back across the Atlantic.
    Possibly but improvement of on field performance is key for everyone

Mind you look at Chelsea who have spent huge sums and are even worse than United
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Happy December 23rd.

Until then . . .

For what it's worth (less than 2-cents perhaps) Bing Crosby was a native of Washington State, born in Tacoma, raised in Spokane.

First time I was in WA State, Bing was still the most famous (summer) property owner at Hayden Lake, a resort area just outside of Spokane; 2nd-most (in)famous being the Aryan Nations.

In subsequent decades, the Aryan Nations was booted out of Hayden Lake after losing big court case, while Bing Crosby's reputation took a belly flop following allegations of child abuse by his eldest child.

However, appears that that's increasing forgotten/ignored/unknown by early 21st-centurians.

Personally think we should take the rough AND the smooth in our pseudo-stately stride . . .
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,098
    FPT @NickPalmer

Re: StateCos

There is a huge difference between “taking responsibility” and “interfering”

Minister should act like boards/shareholders of nationalised companies and take responsibility for the strategic direction. They will be held accountable by the voters

In practice the “Whitehall knows best” (whether ministers or civil servants) attitude prevails and they micro manage. For example, I think it was water, but one of the utilities suffered chronic underinvestment on state hands because infrastructure capex wasn’t sexy compared to schools and hospitals or pay rises for nurses.

I’ve seen nothing in the last 30 years to suggest that politicians have changed their approach

I’d be more open to other structures (eg mutuals) with the state playing the role of an important stakeholder than straight state ownership.
  • Options

viewcode said:

I denounce it as an unrepentant Christmas movie.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Re: "DH" would MUCH rather watch 24-7 webcam of Yule-log burning . . . or Marley's toenail growing . . .
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146

Omnium said:

Scott_xP said:

@RedfieldWilton
    Labour is more trusted than the Conservatives on EVERY policy issue prompted.

Which party do voters trust most on...?

(Labour | Conservatives)

NHS (40% | 19%)
    Housing (36% | 20%)
    Education (35% | 22%)
    Immigration (30% | 23%)
    Economy (33% | 28%)
    Ukraine (28% | 27%)

The one to watch is clearly the economy. Hunt seems like a pretty good chancellor so far, but we'll almost certainly never know because he's, by inheritance, bad news only. Reeves is clearly Labour's brightest economic spark ever (I know that Brown has his fans, but they're plain wrong), and as Starmer will undoubtedly have no money it'll be interesting how she fares.

I can't see very much difference between the parties' policies now anyway.
    5% lead on economy. Labour struggling to pull away on better for economy, best for growth, however it’s asked by pollsters, despite “everything” Conservatives still just behind Labour on best for the economy.
    Tory lead on the economy by the election. Quite possibly immigration too.

Labour riding for a big fall if they take power and then oversee no significant change in the NHS.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Happy December 23rd.

Until then . . .

For what it's worth (less than 2-cents perhaps) Bing Crosby was a native of Washington State, born in Tacoma, raised in Spokane.

First time I was in WA State, Bing was still the most famous (summer) property owner at Hayden Lake, a resort area just outside of Spokane; 2nd-most (in)famous being the Aryan Nations.

In subsequent decades, the Aryan Nations was booted out of Hayden Lake after losing big court case, while Bing Crosby's reputation took a belly flop following allegations of child abuse by his eldest child.

However, appears that that's increasing forgotten/ignored/unknown by early 21st-centurians.

Personally think we should take the rough AND the smooth in our pseudo-stately stride . . .
    Yes, he was a bit of a shit, and his singing isn't my cup of tea - but he was a hugely consequential figure.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 725

viewcode said:

Gambling device firm appears in Christmas movie (3, 4)
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

What a horrible comment.
    He was no longer an MP when he made it mind you

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/sep/13/george-osborne-criticised-for-gruesome-remarks-against-theresa-
    may
    How about the Labour MPs who wanted to hang Esther McVey or the comments that Angela Raynor made about stories?

There is a very unpleasant / immature edge to many of our politicians who don’t understand what is acceptable behaviour
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Fixed now.

You need to all denounce the idea of Die Hard as a Christmas movie.
  • Options

When was the last "I loused up, and resigning is the most honourable thing I can do" resignation?

Does Matt Hancock count?

Carrington
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    isam said:

isam said:

I agreed with him on quite a lot of things actually, and kept in touch a lot away from here. I could never understand though, why he was so outraged about Nigel Farage saying he was ready to "don khaki, pick up a rifle and head for the front lines", an obvious metaphor for returning to politics in 2017 if Brexit was thwarted, yet thought Osborne’s comments perfectly ok. They had to be both wrong or both fine for me, albeit Osborne’s seemed more deranged - you just wouldn’t say it
    My experience of him was that he was so utterly partisan, particularly on the 'B' debate, that he wasn't worth discussing things with. There was just nothing there - he was like a highly performing chatbot designed to drip acidulous remarks on behalf of 'his side'. That no doubt made him a cheering presence to many (always nice to have a cheerleader for our views) but of little interest to anyone interested in a genuine discussion.

It does improve my opinion of him that you've developed a cordial non-pb discourse with him, given your Brexity political outlook.
  • Options

He should be sacked for such crass comments, especially as he is Home Secretary, but I doubt he will

Just another example of a government's end days and the only question is whether it will be in May or October

Both traditionally revolutionary months

But holding on to October doesn’t work out well for the incumbents
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Lost on the first Christmas punt.

I couldn't risk it, so paid full price for my turkey on Friday now marked down to half price. 😒

On the other hand picked up a goose marked down 50%, so likely protein overload by New Year...

I’ve been invited to Christmas lunch by a neighbour and friend who is a professional chef from France…

Yum…

(I get to do the wine)
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Patel would either to do a significant volte face on the Wethersfield base or swallow an amount of her words.
    I suspect that could be papered over OK. I think Patel would love to be a Minister again, for the future leadership prospects.
  • Options

Foxy said:

I couldn't risk it, so paid full price for my turkey on Friday now marked down to half price. 😒

On the other hand picked up a goose marked down 50%, so likely protein overload by New Year...

Round here everywhere is rammed like Jeremy Corbyn's train. Could not get into Waitrose or M&S so back to Sainsbury's and even that was a long queue.
    That cost of living crisis is really biting hard

• Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,521
    Happy Christmas to all who are celebrating it today and tomorrow. May the New Year bring peace and justice to more of the world.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Fixed now.

You need to all denounce the idea of Die Hard as a Christmas movie.
    I think that's fair. It's not just a Xmas movie, it is THE Xmas movie.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 725
    -

isam said:

isam said:

What a horrible comment.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/sep/13/george-osborne-criticised-for-gruesome-remarks-against-theresa-
    may
    How about the Labour MPs who wanted to hang Esther McVey or the comments that Angela Raynor made about stories?

There is a very unpleasant / immature edge to many of our politicians who don’t understand what is acceptable behaviour
    Don’t think any Labour MPs said such. David Dimbleby had to read out John McDonnell’s denial of the claim by Esther McVey on the 2015 election programme that he had called for her lynching.
  • Options
    From many previous threads: The Houthis remind me of an observation I made many years ago: You can bet a better understanding of the Middle East if you realize that many there do not accept the Nazi defeat.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

As non-Christmas Christmas films go, The Long Kiss Goodnight takes some beating:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Xkb4lyRKQ&pp=ygUXVGhlIGxvbmcga2lzcyBnb29kbmlnaHQ=
  • Options

Foxy said:

Round here everywhere is rammed like Jeremy Corbyn's train. Could not get into Waitrose or M&S so back to Sainsbury's and even that was a long queue.
    That cost of living crisis is really biting hard

The cost of living crisis mainly hurts people at the bottom. There's plenty in the upper tiers who are doing quite nicely.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

As non-Christmas Christmas films go, The Long Kiss Goodnight takes some beating:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Xkb4lyRKQ&pp=ygUXVGhlIGxvbmcga2lzcyBnb29kbmlnaHQ=
    Merry Xmas Mr Lawrence is the best non-Christmas Christmas film by miles.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,385

You can see it ending in tears though. Remarkable as it may seem to those of us who remember them as being an order of magnitude richer than any other club sans a sugar daddy, Utd have been on the bubble with FFP in recent years. Ratcliffe can't just open his wallet. And even if/when he does what happens if the signings don't work out? Will the Glazers' sanction more spending - or even be able to? If the Glazers think he's getting it wrong, what happens? Nice fans don't think much of Ratcliffe - who came in promising the world but it' only now his team ave stepped back from running the club they're having their best season in years,

Transferwise they're also in an awkward position in that they can't blow other teams out of the water financially, and aren't the most appealing prospect footballwise. Why would you go to Man U over Arsenal, Liverpool, City or even Spurs? Newcastle can likely outspend them given pre-Saudi frugality and the money likely filtering through. While Villa and even West Ham look attractive to up-and-coming players who maybe want to avoid being a bit part at a megaclub until they've established themselves among the very best. OK it's Man U, you might say. But that name probably has more of a reputation for killing careers than glory in recent times.

It's a problem both Liverpool and Arsenal fell into when living off past glories - once you're not quite at the top table, you invariably have to live off scraps as regards talent as the very best players gravitate towards success unless you pay over the odds to forego a likelier chance of winning titles for a longer-term project.

The big boon is likely doing up the stadium and revamping the club's commercial operations. But that will take time to filter through onto the pitch financially.

• Options
    A little more on that communtation: "Just before Christmas in 1921, [President Warren G.] Harding, a conservative and mild-mannered Republican, commuted the 10-year sentence of the Socialist [Eugene] Debs, who had been convicted of violating the Espionage Act of 1917. On Dec. 26, Harding welcomed Debs to the White House, eager to meet him before he returned to civilian life after being released from federal prison in Atlanta.
    . . .
    Though most of his advisers and the first lady argued against the commutation, Harding believed that his use of the pardon power would help heal a divided nation after the deadliest war in world history and a flu pandemic that killed at least 675,000 Americans and tens of millions around the globe.
    . . .
    On the same day he freed Debs, Harding commuted the sentences of 23 other political prisoners, activists and Industrial Workers of the World union members who spoke out against the war."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2022/01/06/warren-harding-eugene-debs/

• Options
    Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Happy December 23rd.

Until then . . .

From your link, Bing Crosby brought home looted Nazi technology, viz tape recorders, and Nazi patents didn't count. He is no Elon Musk. As an aside, it makes you wonder how dominant Germany could be today if it did not keep starting wars.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,957

When was the last "I loused up, and resigning is the most honourable thing I can do" resignation?

Does Matt Hancock count?

Carrington
    Did he louse up, or did he inherit the problem? In the Crichel Down case the Minister basically resigned for a civil servant's failings (maladministration of the return of land i n Dorset to the original owners once the war was over).
  • Options
    Withnail & I is my favourite Christmas movie
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819

FPT @NickPalmer

Minister should act like boards/shareholders of nationalised companies and take responsibility for the strategic direction. They will be held accountable by the voters

In practice the “Whitehall knows best” (whether ministers or civil servants) attitude prevails and they micro manage. For example, I think it was water, but one of the utilities suffered chronic underinvestment on state hands because infrastructure capex wasn’t sexy compared to schools and hospitals or pay rises for nurses.

I’ve seen nothing in the last 30 years to suggest that politicians have changed their approach

I’d be more open to other structures (eg mutuals) with the state playing the role of an important stakeholder than straight state ownership.

Turn them into Public Benefit companies with a restructured and much beefed up regulator?
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

-

isam said:

isam said:

What a horrible comment.

may

Don’t think any Labour MPs said such. David Dimbleby had to read out John McDonnell’s denial of the claim by Esther
    McVey on the 2015 election programme that he had called for her lynching.
    You’re right.

He called her “a stain on humanity”. And repeated someone else’s remark that she should be lynched.

That’s still not ok

John McDonnell has refused to apologise for repeating an offensive remark about new Work and Pensions Secretary Esther McVey.

The Shadow Chancellor described the then-disabilities minister as “a stain on humanity” during an outburst two years ago.

At a separate event, he also recounted a comment he had heard in which someone said Ms McVey should be "lynched" for her part in implementing welfare cuts.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/john-mcdonnell-still-refuses-to-apologise-over-lynch-esther-mcvey-remark
  • Options

A little more on that communtation: "Just before Christmas in 1921, [President Warren G.] Harding, a conservative and mild-mannered Republican, commuted the 10-year sentence of the Socialist [Eugene] Debs, who had been convicted of violating the Espionage Act of 1917. On Dec. 26, Harding welcomed Debs to the White House, eager to meet him before he returned to civilian life after being released from federal prison in Atlanta.
    . . .
    Though most of his advisers and the first lady argued against the commutation, Harding believed that his use of the pardon power would help heal a divided nation after the deadliest war in world history and a flu pandemic that killed at least 675,000 Americans and tens of millions around the globe.
    . . .
    On the same day he freed Debs, Harding commuted the sentences of 23 other political prisoners, activists and Industrial Workers of the World union members who spoke out against the war."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2022/01/06/warren-harding-eugene-debs/

Gosh.

Hadn't the Communists suffered enough in prison without trying to make sense of Harding's garbled efforts at English?
  • Options

NeilVW said:

-

isam said:

isam said:

What a horrible comment.

may

Don’t think any Labour MPs said such. David Dimbleby had to read out John McDonnell’s denial of the claim by Esther
    McVey on the 2015 election programme that he had called for her lynching.
    You’re right.

He called her “a stain on humanity”. And repeated someone else’s remark that she should be lynched.

That’s still not ok

John McDonnell has refused to apologise for repeating an offensive remark about new Work and Pensions Secretary Esther McVey.

The Shadow Chancellor described the then-disabilities minister as “a stain on humanity” during an outburst two years ago.

At a separate event, he also recounted a comment he had heard in which someone said Ms McVey should be "lynched" for her part in implementing welfare cuts.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/john-mcdonnell-still-refuses-to-apologise-over-lynch-esther-mcvey-remark
    Slalom only campaigned for him to be Chancellor twice
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Carnyx said:

Does Matt Hancock count?

Carrington
    Did he louse up, or did he inherit the problem? In the Crichel Down case the Minister basically resigned for a civil servant's failings (maladministration of the return of land i n Dorset to the original owners once the war was over).
    It was more complex than that, because he (Dugdale) knew about and approved the sale of the land despite pretending he hadn't.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146
    Santa on a tricky run between Kyiv and Moscow.

Eek......
  • Options

A Christmas Pardon would be kind of appropriate.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Shane Black is the screenwriter. Many of his films are set at Xmas
  • Options

. . .
    . . .

Until March 1921, biggest roadblock to release of Eugene Debs from durance vile was Woodrow Wilson. Who (sick or sicker) staunchly refused to consider pardoning DVD let alone commuting his sentence.

Whereas WW's own Dept of Justice and his Attorney General Mitchell Palmer (no softy he) were recommending a pardon in final months of his term.

By then, public opinion in USA had shifted sharply from wartime super-patriotism to post-war skepticism and cynicism about the Great War.

One result being epic landslide against Wilsonian Democracy in favor of standpat Republicanism under Warren Harding. Another being increasing public sympathy for Debs and others in his situation.

But especially for Debs, who by the time of WWI was something of an American institution, having been a major labor leader since 1890s, and run three time for President since for the Socialist Party. Along the way, his public persona became fixed: a radical of revolutionary intent and fiery rhetoric with a heart of gold.

Guy who'd give his coat to an old hobo without one in a snowstorm. Who was also highly esteemed by rich capitalists in his own hometown of Terre Haute, Indiana - hardly a hotbed of radicalism then or now. And who made friends with the wardens at every jail and prison where he served time.

Warren Harding was a better president than his contemporaries or latter generations gave/give him credit for being. Certainly one of the plus marks in his ledger - personally, politically and presidentially - was his treatment of and respect for Eugene Victor Debs.

• Options

Eek......

Is it a sleigh ride?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,615

FPT @NickPalmer

The classic of the genre was a chemical plant, when it was nationalised.

It needed to be replaced with a modern plant and moved to nearer a good port.

This was denounced as insane - spending money to move jobs from a government constituency to an opposition one. And reducing the number of jobs (productivity). And taking more than one parliamentary term.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,346

I feel a regeneration might be on the cards.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073

Leon is not banned
  • Options

Biden pardoned a turkey.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,230

This is not how I expected to spend Christmas Eve.

He should be sacked! Today! Totally unacceptable comments. I thought Cleverly was not as bad as some of the rest of the cabinet. It seems he is as out of touch as the rest of them. If a party was to include a ban on misogyny in their manifesto it would deserve the votes of all women.
    And pigs might fly. Misogyny is rife in all the political parties.

Incidentally were other Tory politicians present at this do? Mightily convenient that one of the possible candidates for Tory leader after the GE has been wounded in this fashion
  • Options

Eek......

Whole area NOT big on celebrating on December 25, as Santa likely already knows.

Something I learned as a little kid, living in area with large number of Eastern Orthodox neighbors.
  • Options

Biden pardoned a turkey.
    Well, that solves most of these legal problems but it doesn't resolve the Georgia situation.

Oh, not that turkey?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

. . .
    . . .

Gosh.

Hadn't the Communists suffered enough in prison without trying to make sense of Harding's garbled efforts at English?
    Harding did far more than his share of bloviation.

However, he also coined "normalcy" which in the past century has gone from being regarded as mangling the English language, to (methinks) a perfectly respectable English word.

Speaking as one of the very few - perhaps only - PBer to have paid my person respects at the Tomb of Warren G. Harding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harding_Tomb

"I DEEM it a privilege to join here in the dedication of the tomb of Warren G. Harding, 29th President of the United States. . . . He gave his life in worthy accomplishment for his country. He was a man of delicate sense of honor, of sympathetic heart, of transcendent gentleness of soul – who reached out for friendship, who gave of it loyally and generously in his every thought and deed. He was a man of passionate patriotism. He was a man of deep religious feeling. He was devoted to his fellow men. . . ." - Herbert Hoover, June 16, 1931
  • Options

ydoethur said:

. . .
    . . .

Gosh.

However, he also coined "normalcy" which in the past century has gone from being regarded as mangling the English language, to (methinks) a perfectly respectable English word.

Speaking as one of the very few - perhaps only - PBer to have paid my person respects at the Tomb of Warren G. Harding.

"I DEEM it a privilege to join here in the dedication of the tomb of Warren G. Harding, 29th President of the United States. . . . He gave his life in worthy accomplishment for his country. He was a man of delicate sense of honor, of sympathetic heart, of transcendent gentleness of soul – who reached out for friendship, who gave of it loyally and generously in his every thought and deed. He was a man of passionate patriotism. He was a man of deep religious feeling. He was devoted to his fellow men. . . ." - Herbert Hoover, June 16, 1931
    'He gave his life in service of his country:' wasn't it a heart attack brought on by banging his secretary? Or am I misremembering that bit?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

. . .
    . . .

Gosh.

'He gave his life in service of his country:' wasn't it a heart attack brought on by banging his secretary? Or am I misremembering that bit?
    You're misrembering.

He died, it appears, as unintended consequence of visiting Seattle, Washington.

"Harding went to bed early the evening of July 27, 1923, a few hours after giving the speech at the University of Washington. Later that night, he called for his physician Charles E. Sawyer, complaining of pain in the upper abdomen. Sawyer thought that it was a recurrence of stomach upset, but Dr. Joel T. Boone suspected a heart problem. The press was told Harding had experienced an "acute gastrointestinal attack" and his scheduled weekend in Portland was cancelled.

He felt better the next day, as the train rushed to San Francisco, where they arrived the morning of July 29. He insisted on walking from the train to the car, and was then rushed to the Palace Hotel, where he suffered a relapse. Doctors found that not only was his heart causing problems, but also that he had pneumonia, and he was confined to bed rest in his hotel room. Doctors treated him with liquid caffeine and digitalis, and he seemed to improve. Hoover released Harding's foreign policy address advocating membership in the World Court, and the president was pleased that it was favorably received.

By the afternoon of August 2, Harding's condition still seemed to be improving and his doctors allowed him to sit up in bed. At around 7:30 pm that evening, Florence was reading to him "A Calm Review of a Calm Man", a flattering article about him from The Saturday Evening Post; she paused and he told her, "That's good. Go on, read some more."

Those were to be his last words. She resumed reading when, a few seconds later, Harding twisted convulsively and collapsed back in the bed, gasping. Florence Harding immediately called the doctors into the room, but they were unable to revive him with stimulants; Harding was pronounced dead a few minutes later, at the age of 57. Harding's death was initially attributed to a cerebral hemorrhage, as doctors at the time did not generally understand the symptoms of cardiac arrest. Florence Harding did not consent to have the president autopsied."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_G._Harding
  • Options

Eek......

Whole area NOT big on celebrating on December 25, as Santa likely already knows.

Something I learned as a little kid, living in area with large number of Eastern Orthodox neighbors.
    Though Ukrainians are doing December 25 this year, for some reason or other.
This discussion has been closed.