Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is a negative campaign against Starmer really going to work? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

Absolutely, whereas you are so intelligent you cannot even set up or use a printer.

Rrrrowww!
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,591
    Just drove past the room on the road where I lost my virginity. Maple Street, Fitzrovia

Why ain’t there a plaque?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

Keir’s issue is going to be how woke his broader government will be.

The Labour movement is filled with wokey types fighting the culture wars of the mid 2010s, and - with the absence of much money - they’ll be sorely tempted to push their agenda onto the public services in favour of actual reform.

I’m not sure how alert Keir is to this.
    He needs an Alan Johnson or some such to act as a kind of internal woke watchdog.

That, and sleaze.

Sleaze has hugely damaged the Conservatives, and it has the potential to damage Labour in government.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880

Starmer risks looking very fake if he carries on in this direction:

https://x.com/keir_starmer/status/1735710450216538243

Coming from a working class home, I never thought I'd end up studying law at university.

No he doesn’t. Take a look at his childhood home.

The main people pushing this one are the Labour far-left.
  • Options

Coming from a working class home, I never thought I'd end up studying law at university.

I can relate to that.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,006
    Leon said:

Just drove past the room on the road where I lost my virginity. Maple Street, Fitzrovia

Maybe they will put one up once they have finished decontaminating the building?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,591
    I’m going to put a plaque up
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,600
    Leon said:

Misread that as 'plague' at first - thought that sounded plausible.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,806
    Leon said:

You spell it with a g, not q
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Perhaps the Tories will reuse the devastating "Captain Hindsight".

Very accurate, though. And resonates with voters.

He will flip-flop a lot in office.
    It doesn’t resonate.
    Not with anyone sentient (which admittedly does not include current Tory supporters).

It’s up there with the pathetic attacks on Cameron by the dying Brown administration.
    Oh, it does.

It absolutely does.
    It does with you, because you’re a loon.
    But it doesn’t do anything electorally, because the Tories already have the loon vote, with the very loon vote now flaming off to Reform.
    "Because you're a loon".

You can be such a twat at times. But, being generous to you, it's normally a sign you're unsure of your ground.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,157

It also highlights his age. He's from a generation when going to university was still seen as a big thing in itself. The "first person in my family to go to university" line just doesn't resonate in the same way now.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,626
    edited December 2023
    Leon said:

I think your memory is playing tricks on you.

I am fairly certain you lost your virginity at King's Cross or Soho.
  • Options
    boulay said:

In my humble opinion, Starmer is the worst Prime Minister we've had since World War 2.
    I'm struggling to think of anything he's achieved.

He the country's most (in)famous curry.

Remember when our North Wales correspondent spammed PB in 2022 about it?
    I think John Major ate the country’s most famous Curry.
    Yuk.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,351
    edited December 2023
    Leon said:

Give them time. They can't cast a plaque and paint it blue after an event that only happened yesterday.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The Labour movement is filled with wokey types fighting the culture wars of the mid 2010s, and - with the absence of much money - they’ll be sorely tempted to push their agenda onto the public services in favour of actual reform.

He needs an Alan Johnson or some such to act as a kind of internal woke watchdog.

That, and sleaze.

Sleaze has hugely damaged the Conservatives, and it has the potential to damage Labour in government.
    The last Labour government was rife with it.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

That, and sleaze.

Not convinced. Keir is very anti-sleazy.
    All parties have sleaze, the question is the tone set by leadership. At worst (Boris) it actively licenses sleaze.
    Don’t really see this issue for Keir.
  • Options
    Well here in leftie woke London the streets are looking so bright and lovely
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Sean_F said:

That, and sleaze.

To some extent, though, Blair was moderately tolerant of sleaze. Ecclestone anyone?
  • Options

boulay said:

In my humble opinion, Starmer is the worst Prime Minister we've had since World War 2.

Yuk.
    Not going to lie, but I have spent hours thinking about John Major getting pegged senseless since this tweet.

https://twitter.com/Edwina_Currie/status/1339155190092607489?lang=en
  • Options

I grew up in a working class family. My mother was a butcher and my dad a welder. I went to university, got a PhD, now I am a senior lecturer (in the #1 programme in my field) and assiciate dean at a major business school. Not a day goes by where I don't remember that things could have been very very different for me. I really value social mobility, but sadly I don't owe it to the UK. I am half Danish and did my BSc MSc and PhD there....then came back here for tenure. I totally get where Starmer is coming from. Get this: if you are born into poverty in the UK, on average it takes your family 5 generations to make it up to median income... FIVE. In Denmark that takes two generations. 🤷 That difference is no coincidence... it is class society.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,037

Sean_F said:

That, and sleaze.

Not to the same level or standard as the last 13 years of Tory Governments.
  • Options

Give the new Westminster council a few months and they'll get it all Labour for you.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

That, and sleaze.

You have a long memory.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    edited December 2023

I grew up in a working class family. My mother was a butcher and my dad a welder. I went to university, got a PhD, now I am a senior lecturer (in the #1 programme in my field) and assiciate dean at a major business school. Not a day goes by where I don't remember that things could have been very very different for me. I really value social mobility, but sadly I don't owe it to the UK. I am half Danish and did my BSc MSc and PhD there....then came back here for tenure. I totally get where Starmer is coming from. Get this: if you are born into poverty in the UK, on average it takes your family 5 generations to make it up to median income... FIVE. In Denmark that takes two generations. 🤷 That difference is no coincidence... it is class society.
    I got out in one. I read law at University (Durham at that).

My mother brought my sister and I up on £4 a week maintenance.
  • Options

SKS is the best example of the British dream of greatness that can come from anywhere, a genuine working class kid who worked hard to probably become the PM. The fact Tories sneer at that shows just how far they have fallen. What a shame.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Give the new Westminster council a few months and they'll get it all Labour for you.
    Right now it's all a bit of a car crash isn't it. And the lights look nice too.
  • Options

boulay said:

Yuk.
    Not going to lie, but I have spent hours thinking about John Major getting pegged senseless since this tweet.

https://twitter.com/Edwina_Currie/status/1339155190092607489?lang=en

https://twitter.com/cjayanetti/status/1736086069248929846/photo/1
  • Options

Sean_F said:

That, and sleaze.

All parties have sleaze, the question is the tone set by leadership. At worst (Boris) it actively licenses sleaze.
    There are none so blind as those who can't see.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Right now it's all a bit of a car crash isn't it. And the lights look nice too.
    Well you may be better informed than me. What are the specifics of your first statement?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

That, and sleaze.

There are none so blind as those who can't see.
    Sir Keir's a lawyer, they are a byword for integrity and ethics.
  • Options

Good work breaking the pattern...that is no mean feat as the stats show
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,512

Leon said:

I think you're memory is playing tricks on you.

Shepherd Market, back then.
  • Options

SKS is the best example of the British dream of greatness that can come from anywhere, a genuine working class kid who worked hard to probably become the PM. The fact Tories sneer at that shows just how far they have fallen. What a shame.
    Pass the sick bag.

It's like @Heathener has changed "her" userhandle.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,600
    Sean_F said:

That, and sleaze.

Of course there'll be sleaze in a future Labour government. But I'd be astonished if it a) involved Starmer himself, or b) was tolerated by Starmer.

I reckon he's as clean as a whistle, and will quickly get shot of anybody who isn't.
  • Options
    eek said:

Sean_F said:

That, and sleaze.

Not to the same level or standard as the last 13 years of Tory Governments.
    Rubbish. Look how many Labour MPs were arrested or charged over expenses fraud.

It's amazing how selective people's memories can be when it's politically inconvenient.
  • Options

Pass the sick bag.

No I'm not @Heathener but I am back from a long absence and I am sure you can guess who I used to be. But I'd rather start afresh if it's all the same to you. Hope you are keeping well.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,006

Isn’t Sunak a better example of “the British dream of greatness”? Son of immigrants who worked hard, got him into a good school where he would have been socially down the order, launched himself through hard work into fantastic further education opportunities, a very successful career, married well by attracting the daughter of a billionaire most likely through his intelligence and character being the attraction to her and ended up being a young Chancellor and then PM. Pretty hefty rise through the ranks.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Isn’t Sunak a better example of “the British dream of greatness”? Son of immigrants who worked hard, got him into a good school where he would have been socially down the order, launched himself through hard work into fantastic further education opportunities, a very successful career, married well by attracting the daughter of a billionaire most likely through his intelligence and character being the attraction to her and ended up being a young Chancellor and then PM. Pretty hefty rise through the ranks.
    I commend Sunak's drive and ambition and would myself never sneer at it.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

That, and sleaze.

You have a long memory.

Keir Starmer = François Hollande

Sir Keir- Savile is a winner. One the genius campaigner Boris squeezed out several years ago.
    You want to mention Savile with Starmer?

Brave.
    I was simply referencing a Parliamentary defence used by Boris Johnson.The inaccuracy is understood by the political class, but if the Tories were to weaponised Johnson's narrative, would it gel with Johnny Voter. I suspect it would.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,809

boulay said:

Ahem.

The picture and caption made a few PBers upchuck.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2022/05/15/tears-for-keir/
    Spitting Image must have been gutted to be so close
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

I think you're memory is playing tricks on you.

Shepherd Market, back then.
    That's sort of a claim to fame. A legendary place, but has been losing it's legend for decades.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Hats off to you

But without Beveridge (a Liberal) and the post war Labour Government your mum would have been short by £4 a week.

Supporting an iteration of the Conservative Party that would dismantle the welfare state in a heartbeat given the chance, are you being fair on a future aspirational @MarqueeMark ?
  • Options

Pass the sick bag.

No I'm not @Heathener but I am back from a long absence and I am sure you can guess who I used to be. But I'd rather start afresh if it's all the same to you. Hope you are keeping well.
    Ah.
  • Options

I love the British class system.

My grandparents moved here from Pakistand within two generations their grandson is regularly described as a toff.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,515

Pass the sick bag.

Ah.
    I was just thinking earlier we haven't seen Bartholomew Roberts for some time. But I don't think Average Ninja is Bart.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Pass the sick bag.

Ah.
    Stop horsing about with our new poster. It's not fair or correct behaviour!
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Pass the sick bag.

Ah.
    I was just thinking earlier we haven't seen Bartholomew Roberts for some time. But I don't think Average Ninja is Bart.
    Correct.
  • Options

Pass the sick bag.

Ah.
    Stop horsing about with our new poster. It's not fair or correct behaviour!
    Agreed.

Battery is never appropriate.
  • Options
    It was obvious yesterday who our new visitor was.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,986

The thoughts of restaurants such as Rules - fortunately we have already ordered our game (two pheasants) for Christmas.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,986
    Cookie said:

Pass the sick bag.

Ah.
    Captain Roberts was briefly in a week or so ago, I seem to recall.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,867

kinabalu said:

It doesn’t resonate.
    Not with anyone sentient (which admittedly does not include current Tory supporters).

It’s up there with the pathetic attacks on Cameron by the dying Brown administration.
    Oh, it does.

It absolutely does.
    That'll be the reason Labour are so far behind in the polls, I guess.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,626
    edited December 2023
    Dave is wise, we are lucky to have him back in government.

Lord Cameron has joined forces with his German counterpart to call for a “sustainable ceasefire” in the Middle East and warn that “too many civilians have been killed” in the Hamas-Israel conflict.

In a marked change of tone by the government which piles pressure on the Israeli government to end the bloodshed, the foreign secretary has united with Annalena Baerbock, the German foreign minister, to demand “a sustainable ceasefire, leading to a sustainable peace”.

In a joint article, they write: “The sooner it comes, the better. The need is urgent.”

Separately, the defence secretary Grant Shapps in an interview with The Sunday Times gave his backing to the approach, which he said would lead to “hostages released, rockets stop flowing and there’s actually a political process in place to make sure that we get to the day after”.

In a sign of the increasing anxiety within the government about the number of civilian casualties, Shapps added: “I’m very concerned about potentially more people dying through illness and sickness than die through even the effects of the kinetic action of the war.”

The comments signal a shift in approach to the Hamas-Israel conflict by the government, which has previously only given its support for a “humanitarian pause” to allow for the release of Hamas-held hostages and for aid to enter Gaza.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/we-need-a-sustainable-ceasefire-in-gaza-says-david-cameron-fxbt3s7kp
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,231

No because the Tories are going to try and portray Starmer as a lefty lawyer but the country loves a lawyer.

It'll be as successful as this.

Some lawyers are great. But there are many - more than the good lawyers often care to admit - who are really pretty second or third rate and some who are frankly bloody awful, as even a cursory look at the Post Office Inquiry will show you.

Lawyers are not necessarily great politicians either.

But Starmer has been pretty good at managing the Labour Party and presenting an alternative which is not as all over the place as the Tories have been during the last few years. So he will win. I would not be surprised if he wins big because the Tories seem intent on a suicide mission. What he will do then who knows. A period of boring dull and even vaguely competent government would be a relief at this point.
  • Options

Echoes of John Major.

A fair bit of the sneerage towards him came from the patrician right.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,801
    The Tories will try and find a way to make labour look dangerous in the election campaign. The problem is that the tories themselves have proven to be pretty dangerous and reckless over the past 5+ years, so this strategy may not work as well as they think it will.
  • Options
    Experts ‘duped’ into starring in Michelle Mone’s PPE documentary

‘I would have refused to be interviewed if I’d known it was a platform for Mone’

It was billed as Baroness Mone’s big “fight back”. After two years of public silence, the Conservative peer and lingerie tycoon had given an interview explaining her involvement in a company that was awarded more than £200 million of government PPE contracts after she had lobbied ministers during the pandemic.

Close to tears, Mone admitted to film-makers that people probably see her as “a horrible person, a liar, a cheat, a thief” following media reports she secretly made a fortune from the firm, PPE Medpro, which is now under investigation by the National Crime Agency (NCA).

Only the sharpest-eyed viewers would have noticed in the end credits that the documentary had been paid for by the company at the centre of the scandal, which is led by Mone’s husband, Douglas Barrowman.

This weekend, two experts who appear in it said they had not been told in advance of the focus of the film, or its funding. One leading doctor suggested he had been deliberately duped and would never have agreed to take part had he known it was “a platform for [Mone’s] self-defence”.

A senior social care expert said she was not told of Mone’s involvement until a fortnight ago and was never told of the PPE Medpro funding. She said she felt “disturbed” and would not have taken part if she had known. The documentary was broadcast online last Sunday and has been viewed more than 36,000 times.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/experts-duped-into-starring-in-michelle-mones-ppe-documentary-mqq37bf3d
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Experts ‘duped’ into starring in Michelle Mone’s PPE documentary

‘I would have refused to be interviewed if I’d known it was a platform for Mone’

It was billed as Baroness Mone’s big “fight back”. After two years of public silence, the Conservative peer and lingerie tycoon had given an interview explaining her involvement in a company that was awarded more than £200 million of government PPE contracts after she had lobbied ministers during the pandemic.

Close to tears, Mone admitted to film-makers that people probably see her as “a horrible person, a liar, a cheat, a thief” following media reports she secretly made a fortune from the firm, PPE Medpro, which is now under investigation by the National Crime Agency (NCA).

Only the sharpest-eyed viewers would have noticed in the end credits that the documentary had been paid for by the company at the centre of the scandal, which is led by Mone’s husband, Douglas Barrowman.

This weekend, two experts who appear in it said they had not been told in advance of the focus of the film, or its funding. One leading doctor suggested he had been deliberately duped and would never have agreed to take part had he known it was “a platform for [Mone’s] self-defence”.

A senior social care expert said she was not told of Mone’s involvement until a fortnight ago and was never told of the PPE Medpro funding. She said she felt “disturbed” and would not have taken part if she had known. The documentary was broadcast online last Sunday and has been viewed more than 36,000 times.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/experts-duped-into-starring-in-michelle-mones-ppe-documentary-mqq37bf3d

As I said in the previous thread - if you think she is bad look into her Husband, Doug has been selling tax avoidance schemes (that don't work) to unwary people for 20 odd years....
  • Options

Dave is wise, we are lucky to have him back in government.

Lord Cameron has joined forces with his German counterpart to call for a “sustainable ceasefire” in the Middle East and warn that “too many civilians have been killed” in the Hamas-Israel conflict.

In a marked change of tone by the government which piles pressure on the Israeli government to end the bloodshed, the foreign secretary has united with Annalena Baerbock, the German foreign minister, to demand “a sustainable ceasefire, leading to a sustainable peace”.

In a joint article, they write: “The sooner it comes, the better. The need is urgent.”

Separately, the defence secretary Grant Shapps in an interview with The Sunday Times gave his backing to the approach, which he said would lead to “hostages released, rockets stop flowing and there’s actually a political process in place to make sure that we get to the day after”.

In a sign of the increasing anxiety within the government about the number of civilian casualties, Shapps added: “I’m very concerned about potentially more people dying through illness and sickness than die through even the effects of the kinetic action of the war.”

The comments signal a shift in approach to the Hamas-Israel conflict by the government, which has previously only given its support for a “humanitarian pause” to allow for the release of Hamas-held hostages and for aid to enter Gaza.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/we-need-a-sustainable-ceasefire-in-gaza-says-david-cameron-fxbt3s7kp

Just Dave reading the room. He's got to float it past his tin eared boss* yet.

* that must grate, on you, him and the nation.
  • Options

Abolishing grammar schools kicked away the ladder for many working class children in Britain.
  • Options

Abolishing grammar schools kicked away the ladder for many working class children in Britain.
    One of Mrs Thatcher's finest achievements that she closed so many grammar schools.
  • Options

Oh no. You can now expect another excruciatingly dull grammar school debate between myself and HYUFD. I am sure you have had prior warning.
  • Options
    I think Britain missed a trick abstaining rather than voting against the recent ceasefire vote in the UN, as Canada, Australia, and NZ all did.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Only for the ones which the grammar school system didn't exclude in the first place.

Abolishing student grants and imposing tuition fees was much, much worse.
    The grammar school system might have been lacking when it came to providing equal opportunities to everyone because of the brutal cutoff with the 11-plus, but it undoubtedly did elevate a lot of people from genuinely humble backgrounds into genuinely elite career paths, so it was arguably better at creating an elite with diverse backgrounds.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,809

I think Britain missed a trick abstaining rather than voting against the recent ceasefire vote in the UN, as Canada, Australia, and NZ all did.

Abstaining was the worst of both worlds. Those who support Palestine hate you for not voting Yes, and Israel and the US hate you for not voting No.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,231

Sean_F said:

That, and sleaze.

Of course there'll be sleaze in a future Labour government. But I'd be astonished if it a) involved Starmer himself, or b) was tolerated by Starmer.

I reckon he's as clean as a whistle, and will quickly get shot of anybody who isn't.
    OTOH he has been remarkably silent about why Nick Brown was suspended a year ago. Will we ever be told?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,575
    edited December 2023
    former President Bill Clinton Supports Abolishing the Electoral College (in 60 seconds)
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5SvAxw5TDSY
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Only for the ones which the grammar school system didn't exclude in the first place.

Abolishing student grants and imposing tuition fees was much, much worse.
    The grammar school system might have been lacking when it came to providing equal opportunities to everyone because of the brutal cutoff with the 11-plus, but it undoubtedly did elevate a lot of people from genuinely humble backgrounds into genuinely elite career paths, so it was arguably better at creating an elite with diverse backgrounds.
    Properly funded and streamed Comprehensive education such as in the 1970s was the way forward. Underfunded state education is not, particularly when Counties like Kent and Warwickshire pump money into Grammars at the detriment of the rest.

And I really don't want you to search the internet on my behalf for spurious statistics to prove me wrong. I speak from personal experience.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,467

former President Bill Clinton Supports Abolishing the Electoral College (in 60 seconds)
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5SvAxw5TDSY

That's a remarkably short timeframe. Wouldn't a few months be more realistic?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

Sean_F said:

That, and sleaze.

The problem goes beyond any one leader. As PM, SKS will know that there are ministers and MP’s who like to stick their fingers in places where they shouldn’t be, but who are too important to sack.

The problem is institutional. Labour, Conservatives, SNP, and Lib Dem’s have lots of rotten people in their ranks. Every big scandal is bipartisan.
  • Options

Oh no. You can now expect another excruciatingly dull grammar school debate between myself and HYUFD. I am sure you have had prior warning.
    God, how many times have we had to endure that? It must be eleven plus.
    Don't blame me. Blame @williamglenn .
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,379
    edited December 2023
    isam said:

The Tories can point out Sir Keir’s multiple inconsistent statements, his u-turns on things he calls ‘principles’, his support for people he then expels, etc etc but I don’t think it will work.

No one likes the Tories, neither the party or the leader. They’ve ripped themselves to shreds and have nothing to offer; they’re not radical or Conservative, sensible or charismatic. They don’t seem to like each other so why should anyone like them?

The electorate want anyone but the Tories q.e.d.
  • Options
    From header; "In my view Sunak is not even a second-rater"

Times change, and it's interesting that you are now quite against him. I think we were all rooting for you when you had him on a big bet.

• Options
    I have no doubt the Cons will try to fight a hard anti-Starmer campaign. A big (but not the only) problem with that is the fact that Mr Sunak tends to come across as petulant at best and whiny at worst when he tries it.

The biggest problem is the fact that the vast majority of the electorate just are not listening any more. The current 'populist' incarnation of the Cons had its chance - and then another - and then another. They have failed badly, then laughably and now rather pathetically. Saying the other lot would fail too doesn't get you very far in that situation.
  • Options

I have no doubt the Cons will try to fight a hard anti-Starmer campaign. A big (but not the only) problem with that is the fact that Mr Sunak tends to come across as petulant at best and whiny at worst when he tries it.

The biggest problem is the fact that the vast majority of the electorate just are not listening any more. The current 'populist' incarnation of the Cons had its chance - and then another - and then another. They have failed badly, then laughably and now rather pathetically. Saying the other lot would fail too doesn't get you very far in that situation.

The collapse of sense in the BBC and the trivialisation and collapse in sales of the newspapers augers our demise,
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Omnium said:

Times change, and it's interesting that you are now quite against him. I think we were all rooting for you when you had him on a big bet.

He was an improvement on Johnson and Truss.

Which is a bit like saying somebody is less of a threat to world peace than Putin.

Starmer will probably surprise on the downside too. However, it's hard to imagine he will surprise on so great a downside.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Happy? to admit I was badly wrong about him. Maybe its a lot easier being Chancellor than PM? And I guess in the divided Tory party, as an individual cabinet minister you can add your own stamp on things, but as PM you are responsible for trying to make them all work together.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,237
    The approach the Tories and their Press outriders use at almost every election is essentially to scare the electorate into voting for them. I can barely remember a positive Tory election campaign.

It won’t work this time, but it won’t stop them trying. They have nothing else.
  • Options
    It all reminds me of the Tory efforts ahead of GE1997 by trying to go negative against Tony Blair. Those who are old enough might recall the Tory ad that focussed on Blair’s eyes and tried to suggest there was something sinister about the then LAB leader.

The irony, of course, is that that poster did have a point...
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,837
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

That, and sleaze.

The problem goes beyond any one leader. As PM, SKS will know that there are ministers and MP’s who like to stick their fingers in places where they shouldn’t be, but who are too important to sack.

The problem is institutional. Labour, Conservatives, SNP, and Lib Dem’s have lots of rotten people in their ranks. Every big scandal is bipartisan.
    The expenses scandal was an interesting empirical test of relative corruption though. All 3 main parties were affected (the SNP didn’t have enough MPs back then for statistical significance), but proportionally the conservatives had the most wronguns and Lib Dems the fewest. Though they did of course have David Law’s rental cheating and Huhne’s speeding points.

I recall there wasn’t much difference between the various wings of the parties - the one nation Tories and Eurosceptics equally up to their necks in it.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Interesting article, thanks. One oddity from Kellner though:

"Ipsos’s latest poll has Reform on just 4 per cent. At no point this year has it reported a higher figure; for most of the year it has been just 2 or 3 per cent. If Ipsos is right, then the Tories still have a problem, but no need to panic.

...except Ipsos have the Cons on 25% in that poll losing 270 seats according to Electoral Calculus.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,837

"Ipsos’s latest poll has Reform on just 4 per cent. At no point this year has it reported a higher figure; for most of the year it has been just 2 or 3 per cent. If Ipsos is right, then the Tories still have a problem, but no need to panic.

...except Ipsos have the Cons on 24% losing 228 according to Electoral Calculus.
    Ref have now gone up in Ipsos too of course. I think 7 of 8%? So there is a real rise.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,010

Isam has picked up that loose ball and is running with it. I am not sure to where.

Isam has picked up that loose ball and is running with it. I am not sure to where.
    The ban hammer, eventually.
    Look how upset they get! My word

Now calling for bans, beautiful!

• Options
    TimS said:

...except Ipsos have the Cons on 24% losing 228 according to Electoral Calculus.
    Ref have now gone up in Ipsos too of course. I think 7 of 8%? So there is a real rise.
    Well maybe, still MoE stuff unless Ipsos show this in a few polls on the trot.

I think Kellner makes a really incisive point about Reform. Are they going to stand in every seat? If so, maybe they will get 7-9% if not, all bets are (or should be) off.
  • Options
    isam said:

Wash your mouth out, I haven't asked for a ban.
  • Options

isam said:

Wash your mouth out, I haven't asked for a ban.
    I think I quoted two people there did I not?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,498

kinabalu said:

It doesn’t resonate.

Oh, it does.

It absolutely does.
    It might. But the electorate still seem to prefer Captain Hindsight to Major Fuckup and General Incompetence who have been in charge of the blue team :wink:

• Options
    edited December 2023
    isam said:

It's more the fact you've ended up banned in the past and could easily end up there again.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

The collapse of sense in the BBC and the trivialisation and collapse in sales of the newspapers augers our demise,
    Absolutely. It’s a cliche, but the internet and latterly social media corrodes the foundations of our democracy. AI is around the corner.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,036

It also highlights his age. He's from a generation when going to university was still seen as a big thing in itself. The "first person in my family to go to university" line just doesn't resonate in the same way now.
    The electorate is older than God. It still resonates.
  • Options
    isam said:

I’m not calling for a ban, merely predicting that you’ll eventually get one. In that, I am only referring to your past form.

• Options
    The battery here is most certainly not correct. Horsing around the lot of you.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

It doesn’t resonate.

Oh, it does.

It absolutely does.
    It might. But the electorate still seem to prefer Captain Hindsight to Major Fuckup and General Incompetence who have been in charge of the blue team :wink:

Sunak is more of a Petit Officer.
  • Options
    Rishi Sunak diverted RAF jet to pick him up after political event and take him to Rome
    The Prime Minister travelled to a political event in Teesside by train yesterday - meanwhile a taxpayer-funded RAF jet was flown up to wait overnight for him, before flying him to a far-right political conference in Rome, in apparent breach of the ministerial code

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/rishi-sunak-diverted-raf-jet-31688759
  • Options
    The amazing thing about these people who is that they were, and are, more than happy to call politicians they disagree with all kinds of childish names, poke fun at their looks, weight, spouses, illnesses, private lives & so on yet can’t stand to read any pointing out of broken pledges, dissolving ‘points of principle’, or u-turns and so on from Sir Keir, who I never attack on anything other than political terms. I said he lacked charisma on a thread I wrote here, and now it is commonplace for MSM to criticise him on those terms

They’re people who have spent years denying the link between high immigration and low pay, and that Brexit was motivated by immigration. Sir Keir is saying exactly that now… and I don’t hear any disagreement from them

• Options

Rishi Sunak diverted RAF jet to pick him up after political event and take him to Rome
    The Prime Minister travelled to a political event in Teesside by train yesterday - meanwhile a taxpayer-funded RAF jet was flown up to wait overnight for him, before flying him to a far-right political conference in Rome, in apparent breach of the ministerial code

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/rishi-sunak-diverted-raf-jet-31688759

Right-wing Rishi!
This discussion has been closed.