Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How viable are Green targets in 2024? Part One – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited November 2023 in General
imageHow viable are Green targets in 2024? Part One – politicalbetting.com

It rarely makes headlines outside of The New Statesman, but the Greens have had (by far) their best period ever since 2019. Since that election the Greens have set new records in:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    It is possible the Greens might benefit from Starmer's not-quite neutral position on Gaza but with a bit of luck that issue will have been resolved before the election. It is arguable that disillusion with Labour over Iraq helped the last Greens rise and Brighton win.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,259
    edited November 2023
    The very best the Greens can hope for at the General Election is to hold Brighton Pavilion (and I'd not make them favourites to do that). None of their other targets are in the slightest bit viable this time around.

Bristol Central might be winnable in an election with a fairly unpopular Labour Government seeking re-election, but there is absolutely no chance next year. In the others, they are miles away and the idea hoovering up some protest votes at a low turnout district council election presages coming from nowhere to win at a general election is just fantasy.

That's not to say they aren't going in the right direction as a party - they've built up a good local government base. But the electoral system is what it is, and they don't have a range of attractive targets in practice.
  • Options
    Betting Post

Good morning, everyone.

F1: will mention this when I finish the pre-sprint ramble but already made my bet for today and it's 10.5 on Norris each way to win the sprint.

He underperformed yesterday and could've ended up on pole. The car has the pace for it.
  • Options
    Erugh, The Greens.

Yuk.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson has claimed that he was told by a senior Tory to quit in 2021 because he was “poison like Nixon”.

Nadine Dorries, a close ally of the former prime minister, claims in a new book that Johnson was ousted by a “cabal” that has been controlling the Tory leadership for two decades.

She says in the book, The Plot: The Political Assassination of Boris Johnson, that the cabinet minister Michael Gove, Dominic Cummings, Johnson’s former senior adviser, and Dougie Smith, also a Tory adviser, brought down Johnson.

She says the group, called “the movement”, was also key in bringing down Iain Duncan Smith as party leader, and undermined Theresa May.

A source close to Gove said: “Nadine is a very talented bestselling fiction author.” Friends of Gove insisted that he “played no part” in the recruitment of Cummings and said claims he had helped to bring down a succession of Tory leaders were “a conspiracy theory worthy of Corbyn”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nadine-dorries-rishi-sunak-boris-johnson-betrayed-plot-prime-minister-pbh30tjc0
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,224

The UK Greens are the biggest bunch of NIMBys there are; anti-growth and anti-prosperity.

I hope they win nothing.

They will win one seat maximum.

They may continue to do well in local elections. They are the ultimate NIMBYs and you’re right about them being very much anti growth.

A general election breakthrough won’t happen under FPTP.
  • Options
    As one senior government source put it: “Unfortunately for us, most voters don’t really make a distinction between Rishi and Boris. To them it is the same old Tory mess. It’s not great.” The criticisms from Dorries and Johnson are also likely to hit Sunak at a particularly vulnerable point in his premiership. Labour’s lead in the polls has remained stubbornly high and Sunak’s plans to reset his premiership have continually foundered.

Privately some ministers are beginning to wonder if they “overcorrected” by moving to Sunak after Johnson and Liz Truss.

“Ministers are more restive than I’ve seen them for a long time. It’s not like there is going to be a leadership challenge or anything, but everyone is getting frustrated by the micromanagement of Downing Street,” a senior conservative said.

“We’ve overcorrected from a No 10 [under Johnson] which was big on vision and bad on detail to one which is obsessed by detail and has no vision.

“It is not a good way to run a government if you want PhD levels of information on every subject before you’re prepared to make a decision.” While those close to Sunak accept the polls are “stuck”, many still express confidence that disaffected Tory voters will return.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rishi-sunak-still-hasnt-escaped-the-boris-johnson-psychodrama-3fg5jtbpz
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2023
    Unbelievable BBC ran footage from Hamas crisis actor last night...this particular guy is so famous for this he is literally a meme now across social media for how shit he is at it i.e. going from patient to doctor in the same day. Obviously BBC verify had gone home early....
  • Options
    edited November 2023

As one senior government source put it: “Unfortunately for us, most voters don’t really make a distinction between Rishi and Boris. To them it is the same old Tory mess. It’s not great.” The criticisms from Dorries and Johnson are also likely to hit Sunak at a particularly vulnerable point in his premiership. Labour’s lead in the polls has remained stubbornly high and Sunak’s plans to reset his premiership have continually foundered.

Privately some ministers are beginning to wonder if they “overcorrected” by moving to Sunak after Johnson and Liz Truss.

“Ministers are more restive than I’ve seen them for a long time. It’s not like there is going to be a leadership challenge or anything, but everyone is getting frustrated by the micromanagement of Downing Street,” a senior conservative said.

“We’ve overcorrected from a No 10 [under Johnson] which was big on vision and bad on detail to one which is obsessed by detail and has no vision.

“It is not a good way to run a government if you want PhD levels of information on every subject before you’re prepared to make a decision.” While those close to Sunak accept the polls are “stuck”, many still express confidence that disaffected Tory voters will return.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rishi-sunak-still-hasnt-escaped-the-boris-johnson-psychodrama-3fg5jtbpz

I don't mind a PM or minister wanting all the info, if they are going to formulate some really well crafted reform / policy. Rishi and Hunt may have steadied the general day to day governance, but it is same old same old, high tax, low productivity, with no real vision of how to change that other than more maths lessons for kids. The only major "policy" being the shit show of scraping HS2.

And as i have said for donkeys years, whoever was left holding the bag when interest rates return to historic norms will get pounded like a dockside hooker. When your mortgage has gone up £100s of a month, you aren't going to get benefit of the doubt on anything.
  • Options
    On topic, like Mrs Thatcher, I am very pro environmental policies but I would never ever vote Green.

Watermelons in England & Wales and the vegan branch of nationalism in Scotland.

If they were truly pro Green then they would back nuclear power.
  • Options

I don't mind a PM or minister wanting all the info, if they are going to formulate some really well crafted reform / policy. Rishi and Hunt may have steadied the general day to day governance, but it is same old same old, high tax, low productivity, with no real vision of how to change that other than more maths lessons for kids. The only major "policy" being the shit show of scraping HS2.

And as i have said for donkeys years, whoever was left holding the bag when interest rates return to historic norms will get pounded like a dockside hooker. When your mortgage has gone up £100s of a month, you aren't going to get benefit of the doubt on anything.
    He's turning into Gordon Brown with the micromanagement, it leads to atrophying taking place in government and that's not good.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

Sunak will never micro manage his way to an election victory. His best chance is to throw caution to the wind and take some big risks, but that is not in his character.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

He's turning into Gordon Brown with the micromanagement, it leads to atrophying taking place in government and that's not good.
    I have to say i thought Cameron's approach was the right one...i am CEO of UK PLC, i am the figurehead who sets the general tone / vision and ultimately the fall guy if it goes wrong, but i delegate and trust people like Osborne, Danny Alexander etc to do the PhD level research.
  • Options

I would add, Gordon Brown had this problem of wanting PhD levels of research on any aspect of policy. I wonder if working at Treasury, where everything really revolves around formulating policy once to twice a year makes it worse when you become PM... because as chancellor you not only have time to do this, but dropping a bollocks in a budget is massive compared to floating some stupid policy like wooden toys for all.

One of Gordon Brown's problems was that in the 20 years before becoming Prime Minister he had only ever done economic jobs.

1997-2007 - Chancellor of the Exchequer

1992 - 1997 - Shadow Chancellor

1989 - 1992 - Shadow Trade & Industry Secretary

1987 - 1992 - Shadow Chief Secretary

He just wasn't used to dealing non economic policies when he became PM.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

Unbelievable BBC ran footage from Hamas crisis actor last night...this particular guy is so famous for this he is literally a meme now across social media for how shit he is at it i.e. going from patient to doctor in the same day. Obviously BBC verify had gone home early....

Isn't it a bit difficult to tell, considering they all look the same anyway?
  • Options
    NZ looking like making a massive total against Pakistan.
  • Options

I have to say i thought Cameron's approach was the right one...i am CEO of UK PLC, i am the figurehead who sets the general tone / vision and ultimately the fall guy if it goes wrong, but i delegate and trust people like Osborne, Danny Alexander etc to do the PhD level research.
    Dave's other good attribute, not having so many bloody reshuffles.

Mad to think we had four Chancellors between 1993 and 2016 and we had five Chancellors this parliament and potentially a sixth if the ERG get their way.
  • Options

NZ looking like making a massive total against Pakistan.

I'm telling Sky to stick with this match and not show England v Australia.
  • Options

He always gave the impression he was a bit flighty and never checked up on what his minions were doing. A similar approach was maybe his undoing at Greensill.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,314

On topic, like Mrs Thatcher, I am very pro environmental policies but I would never ever vote Green.

And, indeed, HS2, which is the only way we can have a significant shift of road freight (diesel hauled) to rail freight (electrically hauled).

But they don't, because some trees might be cut down.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Mad to think we had four Chancellors between 1993 and 2016 and we had five Chancellors this parliament and potentially a sixth if the ERG get their way.
    Obviously that was partly because of Lib Dem coalition, but also it helps when your ministers aren't totally crap. In fact he was quite lucky that Danny Alexander, Steve Webb, Norman Lamb were actually very good and not tribal (unlike Uncle.Vince who was more concerned about deploying his WMDs).
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,514
    edited November 2023

He always gave the impression he was a bit flighty and never checked up on what his minions were doing. A similar approach was maybe his undoing at Greensill.
    Nah, he always red his briefing memos.

The one time he screwed up badly was with the NHS reforms under Lansley and that was down to trusting his ex boss so much.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    ydoethur said:

And, indeed, HS2, which is the only way we can have a significant shift of road freight (diesel hauled) to rail freight (electrically hauled).

I mean you cant grow new trees can you ?

https://www.nationalforest.org/
  • Options
    edited November 2023

For all the reputation of chillaxing, one common thing you hear from the civil servants who dealt with him is he always read red box, everything was signed off on time etc. The day to day part of the job was always handled promptly and professionally.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,723
    I have voted Green at a couple of General Elections, but don't expect to this time round.

I didn't expect them to win either time, and they didn't come close, but both were safe seats. The point was to get the main parties to be aware of green issues and priorities.

Interesting that neither Isle of Wight constituency features in their list. Greens have been strong there for a decade, getting 17% in 2017 and 15% in 2019. Both seats are Lab gains on current polling.
  • Options
    Mad stat time.

5 Chancellors during the 18 year Tory rule between 1979 - 1997.

5 Chancellors and counting during this fecking parliament.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,482

I would add, Gordon Brown had this problem of wanting PhD levels of research on any aspect of policy. I wonder if working at Treasury, where everything really revolves around formulating policy once to twice a year makes it worse when you become PM... because as chancellor you not only have time to do this, but dropping a bollocks in a budget is massive compared to floating some stupid policy like wooden toys for all.

One of Gordon Brown's problems was that in the 20 years before becoming Prime Minister he had only ever done economic jobs.

1997-2007 - Chancellor of the Exchequer

1992 - 1997 - Shadow Chancellor

1989 - 1992 - Shadow Trade & Industry Secretary

1987 - 1992 - Shadow Chief Secretary

He just wasn't used to dealing non economic policies when he became PM.
    Sadly it was the economy where he lost it the most.
  • Options

The one time he screwed up badly with the NHS reforms under Lansley and that was down to trusting his ex boss so much.
    where he screwed up was not reversing the Blair settlement, ignoring the real economy and Brexit of course. Did he have such a thing as a political philosophy ? I never saw one.
  • Options

Mad stat time.

5 Chancellors during the 18 year Tory rule between 1979 - 1997.

5 Chancellors and counting during this fecking parliament.

Four Chancellors from 1990-2010.

Four Chancellors from July-October 2022.
  • Options

You back Hunt to carry on?
  • Options

The one time he screwed up badly was with the NHS reforms under Lansley and that was down to trusting his ex boss so much.
    I think Gove's reforms in education also wave hello...
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited November 2023
    Has anyone read the Nadine story about Michael Gove and wild Tory sex parties controlling the universe?

No, me neither.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,514
    edited November 2023

Yes, have you forgotten what happened under Truss & Kwarteng when Number 10 & 11 decided to ignore economic and fiscal reality?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Has anyone read the Nadine story about Michael Gove and wild Tory sex parties controlling the universe?

No, me neither.

I misread that.

Just to make sure I don't suffer this trauma alone, I will now tell you all that I had brief mental image of Nadine and Michael Gove having a wild sex party...
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,478
    edited November 2023

I do think a lot of their problems come from the way they completely flubbed 2022, but there were no easy options at that time.

If it had been anyone else, I’d have suggested they should have stuck with Liz Truss because, for better or worse, it is only right to give a new leader time. The problem was that it was Liz Truss - and I think it was becoming obvious she couldn’t handle the job - and in some ways had to go just because she wasn’t cut out to handle the pressures of the role (particularly given the fires she’d started).

They were absolutely right to axe Boris Johnson. However the following leadership election where candidates moved completely away from the 2019 manifesto and just made up their own weird True Blue pitches that didn’t chime with public priorities, was also very damaging IMHO.
  • Options

Precisely. Cameron (and Osborne) did not know what IDS was up to with Universal Credit, nor Lansley with his NHS reforms (or wrecking ball, delete to taste). All the more remarkable given they'd spent years in opposition formulating these policies.
  • Options
    While the world looks at Gaza other countries are getting on with a bit of ethnic cleansing

https://twitter.com/SulaimanHakemy/status/1719998819189019134?t=WkJPtCHh8mNk5mJWBYU15A&s=19
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,010

The very best the Greens can hope for at the General Election is to hold Brighton Pavilion (and I'd not make them favourites to do that). None of their other targets are in the slightest bit viable this time around.

Bristol Central might be winnable in an election with a fairly unpopular Labour Government seeking re-election, but there is absolutely no chance next year. In the others, they are miles away and the idea hoovering up some protest votes at a low turnout district council election presages coming from nowhere to win at a general election is just fantasy.

That's not to say they aren't going in the right direction as a party - they've built up a good local government base. But the electoral system is what it is, and they don't have a range of attractive targets in practice.

This is pretty much the view inside the party - whose members have the lowest average BMI and highest IQ of all the parties.

Our main problem as a political movement is that, because we're always right about everything eventually, many Green political positions end up being absorbed into the mainstream. Climate change, fox hunting, marriage equality, the list goes on...

So we continually have to fight for clear green water and exist mainly as a pressure group to the left of Labour.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

While the world looks at Gaza other countries are getting on with a bit of ethnic cleansing

https://twitter.com/SulaimanHakemy/status/1719998819189019134?t=WkJPtCHh8mNk5mJWBYU15A&s=19

It's also distracting attention from the ongoing Turkish/Azeri threat to Armenia, having succeeded in their first goal of recapturing and ethnically cleansing Nagorno Karabakh. This has been stepped up with joint military drills in the area. The goal would presumably be to seize a land bridge to Nakhchivan.

Such a war would complicate matters as Armenia is actually allied to Iran.

https://time.com/6327596/turkey-armenia-azerbaijan-invade-united-states/
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,690

Do you have a source with evidence for this? There have been a lot of claims of “crisis actors”, but news agencies have dismissed them as false. See:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/what-is-pallywood-palestinians-falsely-accused-faking-devastation-1234869765/

https://apnews.com/article/fact-check-israel-hamas-gaza-false-crisis-actors-068772255064

https://www.reuters.com/fact-check/injured-teenager-who-lost-his-leg-misidentified-social-media-2023-10-27/

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

No, me neither.

I misread that.

Just to make sure I don't suffer this trauma alone, I will now tell you all that I had brief mental image of Nadine and Michael Gove having a wild sex party...
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

No, me neither.

I misread that.

That must be one of the most unpleasant posts, ever on PB! Or, at least the most unpleasant image creation!

And good morning to everyone else.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,910
    Dura_Ace said:

This is pretty much the view inside the party - whose members have the lowest average BMI and highest IQ of all the parties.

Our main problem as a political movement is that, because we're always right about everything eventually, many Green political positions end up being absorbed into the mainstream. Climate change, fox hunting, marriage equality, the list goes on...

So we continually have to fight for clear green water and exist mainly as a pressure group to the left of Labour.
    Given that BMI, you'd expect the Green's ground game to be strong. The Labour candidate who won Rutherglen and Hamilton West ran every street in Glasgow during COVID.

https://everyglasgowstreet.com/
  • Options

Sunak will never micro manage his way to an election victory. His best chance is to throw caution to the wind and take some big risks, but that is not in his character.
    Sunak thought he was trying that with the canning of HS2 and all that other stuff that got announced between the summer and the conference. And we all saw how that ended up.

It's all very well telling someone to forget the analysis and trust their instincts, but that doesn't help if their instincts are no good.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,436
    edited November 2023
    Foxy said:

Pakistan chucking out Afghans. Kenyan and Ugandan Asians might dispute its description as the largest forced expulsion since the 1950s.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,059

It's all very well telling someone to forget the analysis and trust their instincts, but that doesn't help if their instincts are no good.

From Marina Hyde's column on the Richi Elon luv in

"He would watch the Terminator series and root for Skynet..."

https://x.com/MarinaHyde/status/1720698313039548596?s=20
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Precisely. Cameron (and Osborne) did not know what IDS was up to with Universal Credit, nor Lansley with his NHS reforms (or wrecking ball, delete to taste). All the more remarkable given they'd spent years in opposition formulating these policies.
    Cameron is a textbook case of how not to be PM. His Achilles heel was that he believed his own spin.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,561
    WRT Watford and its electoral habits, none of this is irrational. There are three reasons for differentiating between different sorts of election.

Running the country and emptying the bins really are different subjects and require different talents. (And no-one actually believes the Greens could run a country for 5 minutes, even though the live issue is whether anyone can).

Secondly, the local vote is often personal and people are much more voting for the individual.

Thirdly, it is selfishly rational, regardless of whether it works: many people support building N zillion houses, but not in their ward/small town/allotment patch. It is possible to believe that voting Tory/Lab nationally but Independent/LD/Loony/Green locally works towards that end.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,010
    ydoethur said:

The Greens want to reduce road freight by crashing the economy instead.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,561
    Jonathan said:

Cameron is a textbook case of how not to be PM. His Achilles heel was that he believed his own spin.
    His Achilles heel was that he resigned at exactly the moment it was most essential to stay.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Pakistan chucking out Afghans. Kenyan and Ugandan Asians might dispute its description as the largest forced expulsion since the 1950s.
    Though Pakistan hasn't finished yet!

It would take some doing to exceed the numbers of Rohingya forced out of Myanmar, or some of the forced movements in Eastern Congo and Rwanda too.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,059
    Jonathan said:

Cameron is a textbook case of how not to be PM.

The worst PM of the last 10 years

Apart from ALL THE OTHERS !!!
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

WRT Watford and its electoral habits, none of this is irrational. There are three reasons for differentiating between different sorts of election.

Running the country and emptying the bins really are different subjects and require different talents. (And no-one actually believes the Greens could run a country for 5 minutes, even though the live issue is whether anyone can).

Secondly, the local vote is often personal and people are much more voting for the individual.

Thirdly, it is selfishly rational, regardless of whether it works: many people support building N zillion houses, but not in their ward/small town/allotment patch. It is possible to believe that voting Tory/Lab nationally but Independent/LD/Loony/Green locally works towards that end.

Elections via forms of PR in the UK do show a lot of support for the Greens.

Labour and Tories both want FPTP so as to restrict us to their dismal offerings.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Foxy said:

I too am not sure why people are so fixated on a tiny bit of the Middle East where we have negligible direct interests when far bigger horrors are happening in the Congo, Burma, Sudan, Ukraine and so on.

I think it's partly the difficulty of getting journalists to the Congo, Sudan and Burma, partly that Ukraine has been going on for a long time so isn't really news, partly that our Jewish and Muslim populations are larger and more vocal than our Burmese and Congolese, and partly America's (unreciprocated) fixation on protecting Israel.

But then I don't understand why the death of an actor has been huge news for the last week either.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

And that means that classic electoral success needs a Labour government paying too little attention to its left flank. See the win in Brighton.

Whereas this time, the opportunities are probably in Conservative seats that Labour and Lib Dem don't bother with. The pickings there are probably as slim as the average Green party member, though.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Jonathan said:

His Achilles heel was that he resigned at exactly the moment it was most essential to stay.
    He convinced himself that he could charm Europe and the right into doing what he wanted. He couldn’t and gambled the country’s future.
  • Options

Sunak thought he was trying that with the canning of HS2 and all that other stuff that got announced between the summer and the conference. And we all saw how that ended up.

HS2 was an accountancy exercise (done badly) not policy push
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Foxy said:

I too am not sure why people are so fixated on a tiny bit of the Middle East where we have negligible direct interests when far bigger horrors are happening in the Congo, Burma, Sudan, Ukraine and so on.

I think it's partly the difficulty of getting journalists to the Congo, Sudan and Burma, partly that Ukraine has been going on for a long time so isn't really news, partly that our Jewish and Muslim populations are larger and more vocal than our Burmese and Congolese, and partly America's (unreciprocated) fixation on protecting Israel.

But then I don't understand why the death of an actor has been huge news for the last week either.
    It's the lefties hierarchy of victims. Palestine is at the top.

Some animals are more equal than others.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,010

Dura_Ace said:

And that means that classic electoral success needs a Labour government paying too little attention to its left flank. See the win in Brighton.
    Starmer is a shiny foreheaded, fucking gooner with great hair but I do think, one area where is he adept is holding together the warp and weft of his polychromatic coalition. There will be scant electoral opportunities for les Verts while he is at the helm of the Labour Party.
  • Options

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

You are not the first to make the point, Alan.

Tony Blair used to seethe at the way the left wing of his Party was blind to the evil of Robert Mugabe.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Starmer is a shiny foreheaded, fucking gooner with great hair but I do think, one area where is he adept is holding together the warp and weft of his polychromatic coalition. There will be scant electoral opportunities for les Verts while he is at the helm of the Labour Party.
    He has held it together while in Opposition when the one thing they agree on is that they want the Conservatives out. But it'll be MUCH more difficult, perhaps impossible, to hold it together when they are in government.

Blair managed it, but he was a once-in-a-century political genius and had lots of other people's money to buy them off with. Starmer isn't and won't have.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

I think there’s a bit of guilt in Europe, and by extension the US, over the historical treatment of the Jews.
  • Options

It was a white elephant from the beginning.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Bristol Central might be winnable in an election with a fairly unpopular Labour Government seeking re-election, but there is absolutely no chance next year. In the others, they are miles the idea hoovering up some protest votes at a low turnout district council election presages coming from nowhere to win at a general election is just fantasy.

Except the list doesn't go on, does it?

We could all play that game. Indeed, you could probably find a couple of OMRLP policies that were adopted by the mainstream, too, if you wanted to.

Climate change was absorbed into the political mainstream because it became a mainstream issue, and it's being tackled far from how the Greens would like to tackle it. And, you haven't listed out the far longer list of totally barking and barmy policies that were rejected by parties on all sides.

The Green Party membership reflects its niche as a cadre of priviledged radical left-wing activists who have the privilege of indulging an ideology that they secretly know will never be enacted so they have to take responsibility for all the policies they advocate. And, where they do get a taste of office, some of their nutty policies have totally backfired in the last year as in Brighton and Scotland.

Sure, many may have been educated to tertiary level but that doesn't reflect superior intelligence - simply that they are not a mass democratic movement and their small numbers (of those who have the time and resources to indulge in dogma) skew the average.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

Whereas according to some zionists some people are animals so not equal to humans
  • Options

It's amazing that Sunak thought cancelling HS2 was going to be a big vote winner.

He still seems baffled as to why he hasn't landed as he thought it would.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,914

Well the MPs and ministers have no-one to blame but themselves, for plotting to throw Truss under the bus from the day she was elected, rather than getting behind her. Only the Queen’s death got in the way of the plotting and briefing, for a few days anyway.
  • Options

Yes, have you forgotten what happened under Truss & Kwarteng when Number 10 & 11 decided to ignore economic and fiscal reality?
    Hunt isn't some sort of fiscal hawk, he's a profligate tax and spender.
  • Options

It's amazing that Sunak thought cancelling HS2 was going to be a big vote winner.

He still seems baffled as to why he hasn't landed as he thought it would.
    It's not really much more baffling than the idea Suella Braverman was fit to be Home Secretary though.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Bristol Central might be winnable in an election with a fairly unpopular Labour Government seeking re-election, but there is absolutely no chance next year. In the others, they are miles the idea hoovering up some protest votes at a low turnout district council election presages coming from nowhere to win at a general election is just fantasy.

We could all play that game. Indeed, you could probably find a couple of OMRLP policies that were adopted by the mainstream, too, if you wanted to.

Climate change was absorbed into the political mainstream because it became a mainstream issue, and it's being tackled far from how the Greens would like to tackle it. And, you haven't listed out the far longer list of totally barking and barmy policies that were rejected by parties on all sides.

The Green Party membership reflects its niche as a cadre of priviledged radical left-wing activists who have the privilege of indulging an ideology that they secretly know will never be enacted so they have to take responsibility for all the policies they advocate. And, where they do get a taste of office, some of their nutty policies have totally backfired in the last year as in Brighton and Scotland.

Sure, many may have been educated to tertiary level but that doesn't reflect superior intelligence - simply that they are not a mass democratic movement and their small numbers (of those who have the time and resources to indulge in dogma) skew the average.
    Votes at 18 was one of the original policies of Screaming Lord Sutch.

Greens are a diverse bunch, and prize local action over the cult of the leader. Certainly there are some far left ex-Corbynites, but there are also elderly hippies, crusties, but also respectable middle class folk appalled at how we are trashing our country and planet.
  • Options

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

You are not the first to make the point, Alan.

Tony Blair used to seethe at the way the left wing of his Party was blind to the evil of Robert Mugabe.
    The only one I can remember who went after Mugabe was Peter Tatchell and he got a kicking for his trouble.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

The Greens need PR
  • Options
    Foxy said:

It was a white elephant from the beginning.
    Personally I dont see that, we need the infrastructure. More telling to me is why HMG didnt control the costs that is the real scandal. On the other hand there were still good arguments to spend the money elsewhere such as high speed broadband to boost the economy. It only highlights we are not good at thinking of infrastructure.
  • Options

I do think a lot of their problems come from the way they completely flubbed 2022, but there were no easy options at that time.

If it had been anyone else, I’d have suggested they should have stuck with Liz Truss because, for better or worse, it is only right to give a new leader time. The problem was that it was Liz Truss - and I think it was becoming obvious she couldn’t handle the job - and in some ways had to go just because she wasn’t cut out to handle the pressures of the role (particularly given the fires she’d started).

They were absolutely right to axe Boris Johnson. However the following leadership election where candidates moved completely away from the 2019 manifesto and just made up their own weird True Blue pitches that didn’t chime with public priorities, was also very damaging IMHO.
    The problem is the Party, not the Leadership.

The Party has to reform and rebuild. I'm not sure how they do that and I'm glad it's not my problem.
  • Options

The Greens need PR
    Everyone needs PR
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

He has held it together while in Opposition when the one thing they agree on is that they want the Conservatives out. But it'll be MUCH more difficult, perhaps impossible, to hold it together when they are in government.

Blair managed it, but he was a once-in-a-century political genius and had lots of other people's money to buy them off with. Starmer isn't and won't have.
    I disagree, and am no fan of Starmer. The one skill that he has most demonstrated is his capability as a manager. He has transformed Labour from a chaotic cranky mess to a government in waiting in just over 3 years.

That sort of ability at change management is a rare skill. It could transform our institutions too. It would be nice to have some idea of what those changes will be!
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Foxy said:

How much oil is controlled by the people in those areas?

As Sir Humphrey commented when telling the Prime Minister to support the Arabs in any Israel-Palestinian dispute, 'you should worry about the Oily Places not the Holy Places.'

(Although the fact the Foreign Office of the day were a bunch of supercilious racists, the heirs of Gerald Henry Fitzmaurice, probably had something to do with it.)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Fishing said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

I disagree, and am no fan of Starmer. The one skill that he has most demonstrated is his capability as a manager. He has transformed Labour from a chaotic cranky mess to a government in waiting in just over 3 years.

That sort of ability at change management is a rare skill. It could transform our institutions too. It would be nice to have some idea of what those changes will be!
    Nonsense. The government has turned into a shitstorm on his watch and given him the chance to stand back and do nothing while they pull themselves apart. Thats called good luck. I have yet to see much evidence that Starmer has managerial skills. In my professional life lawyers were some of the most disorganised people I encountered bested only by Management Consultants.
  • Options
    England get Head as a necessary preliminary to being screwed.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,005

The Greens need PR
    All parties that don't have a chance of winning 40% of the vote in multiple (where multiple is greater than say 50) need PR of some form..

I also suspect the country does as well as I think PR would result in more long term thinking rather than just the next X months.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Jonathan said:

I don't think he could have stayed to deliver Brexit. Iirc, Cameron said he would stay until there was a new leader in place, and there was a timetable for that election, but it concluded very quickly and so he left very quickly.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,626
    edited November 2023

The "obsession on detail" is amusing.

One would hope that "detail" would include getting some of it right.

Canning the Manchester Branch of HS2 as headlines for a Party Conference in Manchester? Fighting ULEZ, when the detail is that it is to meet pollution targets created and imposed by his own party, and he now has only 4.8% of vehicles driving in London affected by it, 4.8% amongst the lowest area of vehicle ownership in the country.

Real attention to detail, that ! :smile:

I'm afraid I see nothing except Hail Mary Passes, Faceplants, and the desperate burning down of what achievements have been made.
  • Options

The Party has to reform and rebuild. I'm not sure how they do that and I'm glad it's not my problem.
    Step one is wanting to reform. That's probably going to take defeats in 2024 and 2028 to happen.

Fortunately, that's often the slow bit. As Starmer and Cameron both showed, the right leader can sort out a party fairly quickly, especially if bits are starting to fall off the other lot.

The danger for the Conservatives is how extreme their age profile has become. This is new- in the early 2000s, people like Cameron, Gove and Johnson were clearly coming up the pipeline. If you leave it for a decade, will there actually be much Conservative party left to salvage, let alone use as a base for rebuilding?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,005
    Unpopular said:

algarkirk said:

Jonathan said:

I don't think he could have stayed to deliver Brexit. Iirc, Cameron said he would stay until there was a new leader in place, and there was a timetable for that election, but it concluded very quickly and so he left very quickly.
    His Achilies heel was that he defined what remain looked like (a dogs dinner) but not what Brexit looked like.

Which meant everyone was able to sell Brexit in different ways to attract different sets of voters.

He also forgot that X% of voters in a referendum will be for f*** what you want.

Literally the one thing the Referendum did was tell the rest of Europe don't hold stupid referendums...
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,322
    edited November 2023

Step one is wanting to reform. That's probably going to take defeats in 2024 and 2028 to happen.

Fortunately, that's often the slow bit. As Starmer and Cameron both showed, the right leader can sort out a party fairly quickly, especially if bits are starting to fall off the other lot.

The danger for the Conservatives is how extreme their age profile has become. This is new- in the early 2000s, people like Cameron, Gove and Johnson were clearly coming up the pipeline. If you leave it for a decade, will there actually be much Conservative party left to salvage, let alone use as a base for rebuilding?
    Look at the serried ranks of Party members at the annual conference. It's depressing.

These are the people who selected first Boris, then Truss.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851

Dura_Ace said:

I guess a Brexit referendum was a Green Party policy that eventually became mainstream, although I doubt if they’d be happy to own it now.
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

algarkirk said:

Jonathan said:

Or the alternative plan. Referendum had deliberately been set up as non-binding. Ignore it. Say you'll work harder with the EU to negotiate a deal. Tory party splits - lunatics defect to UKIP. Lose a confidence vote and fight an election. Would have been interesting...
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

algarkirk said:

Jonathan said:

Given all the dung thrown at May for "not doing Brexit properly", there's no way that Cameron could have negotiated or delivered anything.

Voting for Leave was, in practice, a vote for Vote Leave to deliver it.
  • Options
    The Middle East gets so much attention on the left and right for a variety of reasons, but surely the primary one is that it is a part of the world in which so much of the world’s oil supplies reside. It may be less the case now, but in the past there was nowhere more globally important. The early 1970s showed that.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851

Unpopular said:

algarkirk said:

Jonathan said:

Or the alternative plan. Referendum had deliberately been set up as non-binding. Ignore it. Say you'll work harder with the EU to negotiate a deal. Tory party splits - lunatics defect to UKIP. Lose a confidence vote and fight an election. Would have been interesting...
    UKIP might well have eclipsed the Conservative Party.
  • Options

Being in opposition and the passage of time will tend to smooth out the age profile a bit.
  • Options

The Middle East gets so much attention on the left and right for a variety of reasons, but surely the primary one is that it is a part of the world in which so much of the world’s oil supplies reside. It may be less the case now, but in the past there was nowhere more globally important. The early 1970s showed that.

Its why we should have energy independence and get out of the place.
  • Options

Its why we should have energy independence and get out of the place.
    Which, as a pleasant aside, would also screw the regimes of Russia and Venezuela.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Unpopular said:

algarkirk said:

Jonathan said:

In votes, quite probably. In seats, who knows? You could get a 1983 in reverse, with a lot of Lab40, UKIP30, Con30 constituency results.

Then the fun would really begin...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Unpopular said:

algarkirk said:

Jonathan said:

As it did in real world vote share. Point is that a Tory party without the Euro lunatics would be capable of governing. Instead the Euro loons took over and its heading for absolute demolition.

UKIP would have been the right's SDP. A stack of MPs defect and then lose their seats at the next GE.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Votes at 18 was one of the original policies of Screaming Lord Sutch.

Greens are a diverse bunch, and prize local action over the cult of the leader. Certainly there are some far left ex-Corbynites, but there are also elderly hippies, crusties, but also respectable middle class folk appalled at how we are trashing our country and planet.
    Also pet passports. It's Screaming Lord Sutch's world, we're just living in it.
  • Options
    Speaking of Venezuela, that's one area where Biden's foreign policy is definitely not working.

Maduro has just reneged on a deal to allow free elections by claiming without evidence that an opposition primary was fraudulent and ordering the Supreme Court to ban the winner from standing.

The primary was held in exchange for America lifting its sanctions, which were a secondary cause of Venezuela's economic implosion.

So now Biden and Blinken have a tough choice:

1) Not reimpose sanctions and allow a fifth-rate fascist dictatorship to keep on its ruinous path, but possibly ease both oil shortages and the Venezuelan refugee crisis;

2) Reimpose sanctions and have both get markedly worse, probably while making no difference to Maduro.

Don't envy them that choice, frankly.
This discussion has been closed.