Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It’s the housing costs, stupid? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,018

On housing, bizarre conversation the other evening with similarly retired neighbours along the lines of:
    "Labour seem to be going to allow building anywhere - it's crazy."
    "We'll we do need more houses."
    "Yes but they should put them where there are already houses, not new sites."

Then later, when we mentioned we are looking to downsize because our garden is far too big for us now:
    "Can't you sell of half your garden for a couple of houses?"
    Er no, building in our village is absolutely verboten by our wonderful Local NIMBY Plan.

To be bizarre, Shirley it needs to be strange and unusual?

You can hear exactly the sentiments you describe, up and down the country.

1) We need more houses
    2) Nothing on new land
    3) Nothing near me or mine

• Options

pm215 said:

Sandpit said:

Incentivise people to trade down once their kids have flown the nest, to leave larger houses for growing families.

How do you propose to do this without it being perceived as (or actually being) another massive bung to the elderly?

Unclear how many would take it, anyway, if they haven't already been drawn by the cashback inherent in downsizing. I know somebody who now lives alone in what was once the family five bedroom house -- but when the kids and grandkids are back for Christmas or Easter the house is full. I'm not sure they'd be very keen to give that up.
    It’s more about removing the disincentive of stamp duty.

Perhaps remove the PPR relief from main residences but allow a rollover for new main residence purchase within, say, 36 months.

Use the funds to reduce stamp duty (and perhaps focus it on those downsizing)
    Stamp duty should be abolished, along with Council Tax, and rolled into a LVT.

Taxing mobility is completely the wrong attitude.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,163
    Heathener said:

Good morning all.

Excellent thread @TSE and you're right. Starmer seems to be onto this one and if they succeed then Labour will be in power for a generation.

I’m not sure that’s a good idea.

About 2 terms (10 years) seems generally better and after that governments seem to run out of energy, ideas and people
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

MattW said:

kyf_100 said:

Build more houses.
    Abolish leasehold - you'll never get people to buy flats until you do.
    Stop propping up the market with stamp duty holidays, "help to buy" etc which only inflates the market.

Servicing the cost of putting a roof over your head destroys disposable income, destroys investment, sucks all the money out of the economy and gives it over to rent-seeking parasites, instead of being invested in productive capital.

It really is that simple.

I'd basically agree with those (though leasehold flats do seem to sell), and add some more to reform the market further, plus generate greater availability in places to build and places to live.

I think Mr Starmer has quite a lot of that about right, but it will take longer than he hopes. It always does. His goals seem reasonably modest, which will help. I predict that little will seem to be achieved in 1-2 years, but more than expected in 5-7 years. He needs 2 terms.

I also note from the 2021-22 English Housing Survey:

1.83 The overall rate of under-occupation in England in 2021-22 was 39% with around 9.3 million households living in under-occupied homes (i.e. with two or more spare bedrooms), Annex Table 1.25.

1.84 Under-occupation was much more prevalent among owner occupiers than in the rented sectors. Over half (53%) of owner occupied households (8.3 million households) were under-occupied in 2021-22 compared with 15% of private rented (684,000) and 10% of social rented (408,000) households.

1.85 The overall proportion of under-occupied households among owner occupiers in England increased between 2011-12 and 2021-22 from 49% (7.0 million households) to 53% (8.3 million households). No change was seen among renters over the same time period,

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/english-housing-survey-2021-to-2022-headline-report/english-housing-survey-2021-to-2022-headline-report

So I'd seek to promote lodgers more, and eg encourage people with Pieds a Terre flats to take a weekday lodging rather than taking up a whole flat, for example.
    Dunno if you have FT access, but the figures here are startling:

https://www.ft.com/content/df25ccc7-5dcf-446e-8a07-332ad5612f09

Everywhere else in the world, the value of flats has broadly kept up with the value of housing. Except the UK. Grenfell exposed the flaws in the leasehold system, left tons of people with unmanageable bills, "waking watch" (i.e. pay nine grand a year for someone to sit in reception on their phone "just in case" of a fire) etc.
    Can we please drop this myth than you can "own" an apartment? Do you own the land? Or the building? No, you are buying a yale key.

Buy houses, rent apartments.
    We briefly toyed with the idea of buying a luxury lodge home near Swannage. Bloody lovely, great location, close to the beach. Until I researched it. 300k for a glorified park home with 8 grand a year fees and you don't own the land. I think the actual lodge itself was only about 75k to buy brand new from the manufacturer anyway. No ta!
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,813
    Heathener said:

darkage said:

On housing, bizarre conversation the other evening with similarly retired neighbours along the lines of:

Then later, when we mentioned we are looking to downsize because our garden is far too big for us now:
    Er no, building in our village is absolutely verboten by our wonderful Local NIMBY Plan.

The lack of self awareness exhibited by many older people on the issue of housing is rather spectacular.

Absolutely.

I have another tory friend, male this time, 40. He's a card carrying party member, lives down here. He's deeply critical of his parents' generation on precisely this point. His argument is that by sheer good fortune they oversaw the greatest rise in housing value that this country has ever known, and will ever know. When they berate the (woke) younger generations, and claim that by contrast they earned their asset fortunes through hard work, it's largely bollocks. They got it mainly by luck and now have what he calls an appalling sense of entitlement.

That's all from my tory friend and I can't disagree with him. He's actually rather embittered about it.
    Yeah well exactly. The older generation are supported in retirement by the state (ie through pensions, low tax rates) but this comes at the expense of younger people who are unable to access housing and can't bring up families. It manifests itself in the most frustrating way in opposition to new development. I dealt with a situation recently where a 3 storey building was being replaced by a 6 storey building - the same size as another existing building across the road and on a relatively isolated site away from the surrounding suburban housing. A 'brownfield' site in a city with a good chunk of affordable housing. But there was fierce opposition just because the building was regarded as too big and it would bring in too many people, changing the character of the area and causing parking problems. If this type of development cannot happen here where exactly is it going to happen?

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,032
    edited October 2023
    Carnyx said:

kyf_100 said:

MattW said:

kyf_100 said:

Build more houses.
    Stop propping up the market with stamp duty holidays, "help to buy" etc which only inflates the market.

Servicing the cost of putting a roof over your head destroys disposable income, destroys investment, sucks all the money out of the economy and gives it over to rent-seeking parasites, instead of being invested in productive capital.

I'd basically agree with those (though leasehold flats do seem to sell), and add some more to reform the market further, plus generate greater availability in places to build and places to live.

I think Mr Starmer has quite a lot of that about right, but it will take longer than he hopes. It always does. His goals seem reasonably modest, which will help. I predict that little will seem to be achieved in 1-2 years, but more than expected in 5-7 years. He needs 2 terms.

1.83 The overall rate of under-occupation in England in 2021-22 was 39% with around 9.3 million households living in under-occupied homes (i.e. with two or more spare bedrooms), Annex Table 1.25.

1.84 Under-occupation was much more prevalent among owner occupiers than in the rented sectors. Over half (53%) of owner occupied households (8.3 million households) were under-occupied in 2021-22 compared with 15% of private rented (684,000) and 10% of social rented (408,000) households.

1.85 The overall proportion of under-occupied households among owner occupiers in England increased between 2011-12 and 2021-22 from 49% (7.0 million households) to 53% (8.3 million households). No change was seen among renters over the same time period,

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/english-housing-survey-2021-to-2022-headline-report/english-housing-survey-2021-to-2022-headline-report

So I'd seek to promote lodgers more, and eg encourage people with Pieds a Terre flats to take a weekday lodging rather than taking up a whole flat, for example.

Everywhere else in the world, the value of flats has broadly kept up with the value of housing. Except the UK. Grenfell exposed the flaws in the leasehold system, left tons of people with unmanageable bills, "waking watch" (i.e. pay nine grand a year for someone to sit in reception on their phone "just in case" of a fire) etc.
    Can we please drop this myth than you can "own" an apartment? Do you own the land? Or the building? No, you are buying a yale key.

England. Other countries may differ.
    In England leasehold generally, but not always, applies to blocks of flats. Less so to conversions of houses into two, or deliberately setup Tyneside Flats.

Overall it is more than 90%.

* Tyneside Flat = flats built like floors of a house, usually with each holding the freehold of the other and two front doors. It allows two dwellings in one structure with no landlord.
  • Options

darkage said:

Foxy said:

darkage said:

On this issue of housing - some level of correction is already happening because house prices are a) not rising with inflation but also b) falling in actual terms, which I think is a direct consequence of higher financing costs. There are as many winners from this as there are losers.

This is borne out by the poll highlighted. Whilst inflation is going up at 10% this is only reflected in higher housing costs for half of the respondents.

It may not be a case that the narrative of 'skyrocketing house prices and rents' is universally accurate.

My own view is that the era of house price inflation driving the economy is largely over, we are a year or so in to a long period of deflation, people just haven't realised it yet.

I expect a long bear market in real terms house prices for the next few years.

That is also my expectation. There are definitely opportunities with this situation though, for instance, prices in London are attractive.
    As I've been boringly saying for the last few months-we're looking to cash buy a new home. House prices are going south, and the slide is getting ever more slippery. Houses that were out of our budget 4 months ago are now well within our reach and we're in the bewildering place of having too much choice.
    There are houses in my RightMove/Zoopla saved lists that have been to auction 3 times and not sold. Houses that have been reduced month after month and still for sale. Estate agents are phoning me every day with houses that have just come on to market or been reduced. I think there is still
    further to fall, so probably won't make any
    firm offers until the new year.
    Don’t miss out on the right home because you think the price might fall further.

And there’s nothing to stop you making offers below asking that anticipate future price erosion

Don't worry, we're on it.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,852
    edited October 2023
    MattW said:

eek said:

EPG said:

In broad terms, people who were 25-35 used to be more likely to be married, have an extra five years' work under their belts, and maybe even got handed a council house by the government at a significant discount. That's not replicable. More single under-35s equals more renters, it really is that simple, but they will eventually buy once they settle.

Not if prices are at 5-7 times anverage earnings they won’t.
    In 2022 only 22% of purchases with a mortgage involved a single adult (ie single man, single woman or lone parent with dependent children).

I'm surprised it's that low. Though that arguably itself says things about pressure on those demographic groups.

Even if adults with independent children are included, it is still under 40%.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/286481/england-buying-with-mortgage-ownership-by-household-type/
    The problem isn't those who can afford to get a mortgage at exorbitant house prices, its those who can't.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,607
    England's opening bowlers are just not competitive enough for this world cup, Woakes especially. And then they are on to Curran, A good, enthusiastic cricketer but unlikely to scare a set bowler. They urgently need some better pace.
  • Options
    The firm, principled vision that is the hallmark of Starmlab.

• Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,163

darkage said:

The lack of self awareness exhibited by many older people on the issue of housing is rather spectacular.

The problem is too many have an attitude that housing costs are "assets" rather than costs to have a roof over your head.

And that mentality has been encouraged by the Bank of England, even though the Treasury doesn't levy CGT on primary homes quite rightly as it recognises that housing is a cost not an asset there.

We need to smash the mentality of houses being an asset and the first step of that reform needs to be with the Bank of England which should include house prices directly into the basket of goods for inflation.
    PPR is absolutely a huge part of the problem - it encourages people to overinvest in their principal residence because the gain is tax free. It makes them think about it as an asset not a cost.

You need rollover relief so that people aren’t able to move to a similar property without a big hit. And I’d be fine with CPI indexation of the value to avoid people being hit by inflation if they have held an asset a long time.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

England's opening bowlers are just not competitive enough for this world cup, Woakes especially. And then they are on to Curran, A good, enthusiastic cricketer but unlikely to scare a set bowler. They urgently need some better pace.

England really should be looking to smash some Net Run Rate points in this game, so Afghanistan being 49-0 after 6 overs is not a promising start.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,149

pm215 said:

Sandpit said:

Incentivise people to trade down once their kids have flown the nest, to leave larger houses for growing families.

How do you propose to do this without it being perceived as (or actually being) another massive bung to the elderly?

Unclear how many would take it, anyway, if they haven't already been drawn by the cashback inherent in downsizing. I know somebody who now lives alone in what was once the family five bedroom house -- but when the kids and grandkids are back for Christmas or Easter the house is full. I'm not sure they'd be very keen to give that up.

Perhaps remove the PPR relief from main residences but allow a rollover for new main residence purchase within, say, 36 months.

Agree. And the LVT should be brought in as a stealth reform of council tax.
  • Options

Do you disagree?

War is ugly.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,981
    The Israel/Gaza conflict has the potential to entirely upend our politics, and render worthy questions - like this threader - sadly irrelevant

Hope I’m wrong. But in a few weeks or months we might see regular terror attacks in Europe - including the UK - and something like civil strife in big European cities

What will that do the election? Change the narrative entirely. But it might not benefit the Tories
  • Options
    Leon said:

The Israel/Gaza conflict has the potential to entirely upend our politics, and render worthy questions - like this threader - sadly irrelevant

Hope I’m wrong. But in a few weeks or months we might see regular terror attacks in Europe - including the UK - and something like civil strife in big European cities

What will that do the election? Change the narrative entirely. But it might not benefit the Tories

No, it really doesn't.

As ugly as it is, its a distant war that is never going to affect household budgets as much as housing costs do.

Housing is the number one priority issue in this country today, by far. The only people who think otherwise, are those fortunate enough not to need to worry about paying rent or now not needing to worry about remortgaging either.
  • Options

1) We need more houses
    2) Nothing on new land

Good morning

It is the same for:

increased taxes but not mine

We need power pylons but not near me

We need nuclear power but not near me

NIMBYism is alive and well and I doubt it will change, even with financial incentives
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

pm215 said:

Sandpit said:

Agree. And the LVT should be brought in as a stealth reform of council tax.
    That's pretty much exactly the Proportional Property Tax proposals that I have been arguing for for several years.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,960
    @DavidLammy
    , on
    @bbclaurak
    , tells Victoria Derbyshire, that Labour members should not share platforms with people who spread devisive hate.

Must have finally rumbled Luke Akehurst!
  • Options

1) We need more houses
    2) Nothing on new land

Good morning

It is the same for:

increased taxes but not mine

We need power pylons but not near me

We need nuclear power but not near me

NIMBYism is alive and well and I doubt it will change, even with financial incentives
    The only way to change it is to do what the Japanese and others have done and remove the requirement for planning consent if land is zoned appropriately and built to code.

That way neighbours don't get a say. Want to change your home from a 2 story to a 3 or 6 story home [that meets code]? Just do it.

So the neighbours don't like it? So what? If the neighbours, and the Councillors, don't get a say then the fact NIMBYism exists is immaterial.
  • Options

Leon said:

No, it really doesn't.

As ugly as it is, its a distant war that is never going to affect household budgets as much as housing costs do.

Housing is the number one priority issue in this country today, by far. The only people who think otherwise, are those fortunate enough not to need to worry about paying rent or now not needing to worry about remortgaging either.
    Unfortunately, it is not a distant war

This is one occasion when I sincerely hope your simplistic, unimaginative view of the world is right, and my more over-excitable but good-at-extrapolating perspective is utterly wrong
  • Options

Do you disagree?

War is ugly.
    Sure, though it’s easy to say from an armchair. I also agree it’s a clichéd, banal observation worthy of PB’s finest, but I’d expect a bit more from folk who have agency in this situation and who are jostling to to be in charge of the UK’s response to it.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,813
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

deleted
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,336

1) We need more houses
    2) Nothing on new land

One thing that can somewhat sate people fearful o development near them is ensuring that local facilities improve, or at least do not get worse.

As an example, a new 'village' is being built slap-bang right next door to ours. I have few issues with the choice of location, or the need for the houses. But one thing that concerns me is that the current facilities are not getting much of an upgrade. As an example, the current GP surgery is poor, and the thousands of new people will be using the same surgery, with no room for growth. The library is excellent but small, and that is also not going to get any larger.

These issues are minor ones for me, but I can see why they can be of rather more concern in other developments.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,405
    One reason the Tories' ratings with the working age are so dire is that they've achieved a double whammy of frustrating economic ambitions and on values. You can maybe get away with one, as some will always do alright even if the overall picture is bleak for their cohort, but not if you insult them and act against their preferences too - as people begin to blame not being better off on values, as well as competence. At the root of it is housing and poor real wage growth, but when you pile Brexit and disappearing down the 'anti-woke' rabbithole (there are legitimate criticisms of ultra-progressives, but those who decide it's their political personality are as if not more irritating), you have a recipe for two or three generations (Millennial, Gen Z, and younger Gen Xers), becoming defined as anti-Tory in their politics as have largely come of age in a period where the Conservatives are synonymous with decisions they believe have been disastrous for their prospects, and insulting to their intelligence and values. It's probably going to be a bit like the 1970s was for the Tories, in that an entire generation that came of age then was wary of Labour for life - only possibly voting for Blair as offered an explicit break with Labour's past - because became synonymous with industrial strife, inflation, a stagnant economy, and misguided radicalism.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Few years ago I was lucky enough to come into possession of a field on the edge of a village. It was being used as a paddock but right next door was another field where people had managed to get permission to erect a large private dwelling. Further down the lane there were more houses i.e. even more out of the village.

I put in a planning proposal to build 1 x family home for us and 2 x affordable homes (because I believe in such things). All on the lane. As I say, edge of village so not wild green field.

It was turned down 8-5 or something like that. I probably could have fought on. But this is the kind of NIMBYism that is blighting everything. Ridiculous short-sightedness.

Our (rather large) back garden has lapsed planning permission to build a house on it - don't anticipate any major issues when we apply again as building houses at the back is what happens an awful lot in our village.

Several other lots with planning permission for sale for rather a lot of money...
  • Options
    edited October 2023

@DavidLammy
    , on
    @bbclaurak
    , tells Victoria Derbyshire, that Labour members should not share platforms with people who spread devisive hate.

Owen Jones is calling Starmer a racist on TwiX

This is just one way the Gazan war could change our politics. It has a huge potential to divide the left/Labour. The right is also divided - eg Crispin Blunt - but the feuds are much less vicious and heartfelt
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Leon said:

No, it really doesn't.

If we get 2011 style riots, that would reduce housing supply in our cities.

Nuclear war would have asymmetric effects - west coast (prevailing wind) properties away from cities and military bases would fetch a premium.

I plan to cycle up the A9 corridor and get to a secret bothy in the NW Highlands - I'll sketch the w3w on the door of Inverness Town House for any PBers who wish to follow. Rent starts at 100 potatoes a month.
  • Options

DavidL said:

England really should be looking to smash some Net Run Rate points in this game, so Afghanistan being 49-0 after 6 overs is not a promising start.
    To put it politely. At the moment they need to worry about whether they are going to win this. I fear the Afghan spinners will be much more difficult to get away.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,086

Leon said:

No, it really doesn't.

No it isn't. Housing is in 5th place behind: The Economy, Health, Immigration and Environment.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/society/trackers/the-most-important-issues-facing-the-country
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,404

Good morning everyone!

It’s not just direct housing costs that have gone up; my household and building insurance has increased by about 30% this year. And no, I have not made a claim!

Same here
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

No, it really doesn't.

This is one occasion when I sincerely hope your simplistic, unimaginative view of the world is right, and my more over-excitable but good-at-extrapolating perspective is utterly wrong
    Actually I think here you're being simplistic and unimaginative at realising just how bad the housing crisis is.

Lets say that you're right and there's multiple terrorist attacks, multiple Bataclans, multiple Manchester Arena bombings that happen right here in the UK.

That would be tragic but does that actually displace housing as our countries biggest problem? No, it does not.

Millions of people have been unable to afford somewhere affordable to live for too long now. For a long time that was just renters, now its renters and those who remortgage.

Bombings are utterly tragic, but they don't affect millions of people. Housing does.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Leon said:

I would go further to suggest that this conflict has the potential to change the entire discourse about multiculturalism.
    Yep
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,734
    Mark Urban
    @MarkUrban01
    ·
    35m
    ·
    An awful lot of American assets including carrier and land based aircraft heading for the eastern Mediterranean…
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

No, it really doesn't.

No it isn't. Housing is in 5th place behind: The Economy, Health, Immigration and Environment.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/society/trackers/the-most-important-issues-facing-the-country
    I said the biggest issue, not the biggest polled issue.

For people who live in a house they own outright that they don't need to pay either rent or a mortgage on, of course they can then prioritise "the environment" (often code for NIMBYism to inflate their "assets") or "immigration" as an issue.

Because they don't themselves face the biggest problem in the country today.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Leon said:

I would go further to suggest that this conflict has the potential to change the entire discourse about multiculturalism. This is because I doubt that support for Hamas and attacks on civilians as we have seen recently can be absorbed in to a multicultural society. There has to be some kind of limit.
    Do you think the explicit policy of no multiculturalism like France is the way to go?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

To put it politely. At the moment they need to worry about whether they are going to win this. I fear the Afghan spinners will be much more difficult to get away.
    To put it politely, if England can't beat Afghanistan then they don't deserve to be progressing out of the group stage.
  • Options

Do you disagree?

War is ugly.
    Sure, though it’s easy to say from an armchair. I also agree it’s a clichéd, banal observation worthy of PB’s finest, but I’d expect a bit more from folk who have agency in this situation and who are jostling to to be in charge of the UK’s response to it.
    More Lammynating

• Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

No, it really doesn't.

Actually I think here you're being simplistic and unimaginative at realising just how bad the housing crisis is.

Lets say that you're right and there's multiple terrorist attacks, multiple Bataclans, multiple Manchester Arena bombings that happen right here in the UK.

That would be tragic but does that actually displace housing as our countries biggest problem? No, it does not.

Millions of people have been unable to afford somewhere affordable to live for too long now. For a long time that was just renters, now its renters and those who remortgage.

Bombings are utterly tragic, but they don't affect millions of people. Housing does.
    I am personally affected by the housing crisis - via close family

Someone REALLY needs to solve it. But it’s a chronic issue which has been with us for many years and is repeated in many countries

Civil instability with added terror is an acute issue - if it happens (ins’allah it does not)
  • Options
    Leon said:

Interesting to the the shamed Tories trying to use it as a wedge issue against Labour. Sunak upping the rhetoric ante, offering Israel the government's "unqualified support in the face of evil"

Unqualified? That is so very wrong. Israel is going to wage war against Hamas and that is just. But it doesn't have a blank cheque to deliberately slaughter Palestinian civilians. The US have managed to get this basic point right, the UK has not.

Why? Because Jezbollah. "You supported Corbyn" is the only thing they have on Starmer and they think that trying to first provoke and then weaponise US-style equivocation will somehow turn their electoral fortunes around.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

No, it really doesn't.

For people who live in a house they own outright that they don't need to pay either rent or a mortgage on, of course they can then prioritise "the environment" (often code for NIMBYism to inflate their "assets") or "immigration" as an issue.

"Give up Netflix or get a better job" apparently
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Do you disagree?

War is ugly.
    More Lammynating

Again do you disagree?

Starmer is right. Sieges are lawful under international law, its how war operates. The idea of fighting a war with zero civilian casualties has never been the case and never will be the case, war is hell but so the law is not and never has been and never will be about not endangering civilians.

The law is about proportionality, and Israel are operating with that in mind. By warning civilians to clear out, they're doing everything they can to proportionately reduce civilian casualties while still fighting the war.

Having said that, Lammy is right too, others are entitled to their views even if their views are wrong.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

No, it really doesn't.

It isn't the biggest issue, though obviously a hobbyhorse for you.

It isn't specifically a UK issue either. Cheap, unregulated mortgages have inflated house prices everywhere. Hence crazy house prices in places like Canada, New Zealand and Australia.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

No, it really doesn't.

It isn't specifically a UK issue either. Cheap, unregulated mortgages have inflated house prices everywhere. Hence crazy house prices in places like Canada, New Zealand and Australia.
    Quite so
  • Options

@DavidLammy
    , on
    @bbclaurak

Yes. "Our friends in Labour First" is so much worse than "Our friends in Hamas"

I think you and Sunak are two sides of the same coin now.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,222

darkage said:

The problem is too many have an attitude that housing costs are "assets" rather than costs to have a roof over your head.

And that mentality has been encouraged by the Bank of England, even though the Treasury doesn't levy CGT on primary homes quite rightly as it recognises that housing is a cost not an asset there.

We need to smash the mentality of houses being an asset and the first step of that reform needs to be with the Bank of England which should include house prices directly into the basket of goods for inflation.
    PPR is absolutely a huge part of the problem - it encourages people to overinvest in their principal residence because the gain is tax free. It makes them think about it as an asset not a cost.

You need rollover relief so that people aren’t able to move to a similar property without a big hit. And I’d be fine with CPI indexation of the value to avoid people being hit by inflation if they have held an asset a long time.
    CGT (or its equivalents, CTT and so on) used to be index linked, which seemed equitable to me. If I bought £20K in United Widgets shares 2 years ago, and sell them today for £23K, I'm stung for CGT on 3K* despite the fact that the value in real terms has increased by precisely zero (roughly speaking).

*Not counting the allowance. The CGT allowance is, of course, now 3K - in reality worth less than half the previous 6K allowancew, for the same reason.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

No, it really doesn't.

Sorry but you're wrong, because you're in the incredibly privileged position of being fortunate enough to buy a house when house prices were 2.3x income and not 7x income.

Which is what I said before you responded to me and proved my point inadvertantly: The only people who think otherwise, are those fortunate enough not to need to worry about paying rent or now not needing to worry about remortgaging either.

Are you needing to worry about paying rent or needing to worry about remortgaging?

And no cheap interest rates have not inflated house prices everywhere. In Japan base rates have been at, around or below zero for decade and yet house prices haven't been skyrocketing, because supply has kept up with demand.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,204
    These small pictures are annoying. Especially if they contain text.
    You have to copy the url and open in a new window to expand and by then the immediate point is lost.
  • Options

Do you disagree?

War is ugly.
    More Lammynating

Again do you disagree?

Starmer is right. Sieges are lawful under international law, its how war operates. The idea of fighting a war with zero civilian casualties has never been the case and never will be the case, war is hell but so the law is not and never has been and never will be about not endangering civilians.

The law is about proportionality, and Israel are operating with that in mind. By warning civilians to clear out, they're doing everything they can to proportionately reduce civilian casualties while still fighting the war.

Having said that, Lammy is right too, others are entitled to their views even if their views are wrong.
    SKS and Sunak are wrong

https://twitter.com/RedCollectiveUK/status/1713292400452338027
  • Options

Do you disagree?

War is ugly.
    More Lammynating

Again do you disagree?

SKS and Sunak are wrong

No, they're not. War is hell, but war needs fighting. Blame Hamas for those children's deaths, they're the ones who caused it and they're the ones using children as human shields which is the real war crime.
  • Options

Do you disagree?

War is ugly.
    More Lammynating

Again do you disagree?

Even if you’re right about international law (and I’ll set that aside for now) - the spectacle of Israel wading into Gaza to exterminate Hamas - and killing thousands of innocent Gazans as it goes - is going to violently inflame passions. Particularly in Muslim communities in the west - as the west is seen to support Israel

That means terror attacks. Attacks on Jews and Jewish businesses. Civil unrest perhaps. It could get REALLY ugly, and the attackers won’t care about “international law”
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,210

DavidL said:

England need this match to take 80 overs, so that half the audience doesn’t switch off to watch the rugby. Fewer arguments in pubs everywhere as well!
  • Options
    geoffw said:

You have to copy the url and open in a new window to expand and by then the immediate point is lost.

It would be nice if the mods could explain why this has happened, and whether anything can be done about it
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Get an iPad, 2 fingers sorts it out.

That’s to expand the image on screen, not advice on gestures.
  • Options
    Was the bombing of the refugee corridor in Gaza yesterday down to the Israelis or was it a false flag by Hamas?
  • Options

Do you disagree?

War is ugly.
    More Lammynating

Again do you disagree?

SKS and Sunak are wrong

That tosser you just linked to posted this as a response to someone downthread: "there is no evidence that the Palestinian government are murdering children"

Hamas are the Palestinian government. Hamas have committed unspeakable acts of barbarity in this war to *provoke* Israel to respond. And you back this tosser's opinion? Why am I not surprised.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,992
    Leon said:

@DavidLammy
    , on
    @bbclaurak

Owen Jones is calling Starmer a racist on TwiX

This is just one way the Gazan war could change our politics. It has a huge potential to divide the left/Labour. The right is also divided - eg Crispin Blunt - but the feuds are much less vicious and heartfelt
    Roughly down the same lines as South Africa. The Tory right gung ho in their support of the apartheid government. The Thatchers had significant interests there-Hang Mandela T-Shirts at conference etc. The left much more circumspect. It was a huge dividing line and depending what happens in the next few weeks this could have a similar significance.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

England need this match to take 80 overs, so that half the audience doesn’t switch off to watch the rugby. Fewer arguments in pubs everywhere as well!
    I suppose that will depend how long it takes for Afghanistan to bowl them out with huge scoreboard pressure. England are in serious trouble here. I don't understand why Wood was not given the new ball.
  • Options
    The person on the average wage can't afford to buy the averaged priced house. Mortgage affordability is also a key issue. On low mortgage interest rates, you can borrow more money to buy that averagely priced house. Now the rates are at 6% ish, you can't borrow as much so need a bigger deposit. Prices will have to come down if rates are to stay high.
  • Options

Do you disagree?

War is ugly.
    More Lammynating

Again do you disagree?

Hooray everybody, Lammy and Barty have given people permission to hold views.
  • Options
    I would ask what is wrong with the hard left. But we know the answer. Note that RedCollectiveUK - who denies the medieval butchery and slaughter of Israeli children both born and unborn by Hamas this last week - links to "thecorbynproject" on his Twitter header.

From the River to the Sea (the Thames to the Irish Sea) the cesspit of hard left anti-semitism continues to fizzle away. Happily now completely removed from any influence in the Labour Party.

• Options

Do you disagree?

War is ugly.
    More Lammynating

Again do you disagree?

Barty accused someone of making a "disgraceful" comment because they disagreed with him on some minor aspect of the housing debate.

Anyway, back to 1.1 million Gazans in 24 hours...
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Do you disagree?

War is ugly.
    More Lammynating

Again do you disagree?

SKS and Sunak are wrong

That tosser you just linked to posted this as a response to someone downthread: "there is no evidence that the Palestinian government are murdering children"

Hamas are the Palestinian government. Hamas have committed unspeakable acts of barbarity in this war to *provoke* Israel to respond. And you back this tosser's opinion? Why am I not surprised.
    You and Phil support Genocide why am i not surprised
  • Options

The person on the average wage can't afford to buy the averaged priced house. Mortgage affordability is also a key issue. On low mortgage interest rates, you can borrow more money to buy that averagely priced house. Now the rates are at 6% ish, you can't borrow as much so need a bigger deposit. Prices will have to come down if rates are to stay high.

Needing a 10% deposit has been pretty consistent over the years, apart from disreputable lenders and that's then when people get into real problems.

Which is why the young have been priced out of houses for decades, because if you want 10% of 7x income then that's 70% of your annual income expected as a deposit. And as house prices have gone up faster than wages for decades, that has been expanding and expanding in unaffordability.

Of course those ignorant and fortunate enough to have bought their own home at 2.3x income, when only 23% of income was expected as a deposit, don't see what the problem is. Their ignorance, doesn't make the problem less real.

Thankfully now the problem is getting corrected.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,483
    edited October 2023
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

I suppose that will depend how long it takes for Afghanistan to bowl them out with huge scoreboard pressure. England are in serious trouble here. I don't understand why Wood was not given the new ball.
    England are trying to use Wood in the way they used Plunkett in the previous WC. They wish to use his extra pace in an "enforcer" role after the powerplay, when the ball has little movement off the pitch / through the air and when a bowler with lesser pace becomes easy to hit. Also, with the new ball, it goes quickly to the boundary, with more men required in the circle, the danger his the extra pace means chances of many boundaries.

The idea is to mix his ultra pace with the spin from the other end.
  • Options

geoffw said:

thanks for the two finger advice. That works on my MacBook too, but the point still stands - having to do that interrupts the flow and detracts from comprehension

• Options

Heathener said:

Few years ago I was lucky enough to come into possession of a field on the edge of a village. It was being used as a paddock but right next door was another field where people had managed to get permission to erect a large private dwelling. Further down the lane there were more houses i.e. even more out of the village.

I put in a planning proposal to build 1 x family home for us and 2 x affordable homes (because I believe in such things). All on the lane. As I say, edge of village so not wild green field.

It was turned down 8-5 or something like that. I probably could have fought on. But this is the kind of NIMBYism that is blighting everything. Ridiculous short-sightedness.

Our (rather large) back garden has lapsed planning permission to build a house on it - don't anticipate any major issues when we apply again as building houses at the back is what happens an awful lot in our village.

Several other lots with planning permission for sale for rather a lot of money...
    The safe way to do that is to get planning, do the minimum to establish Development Has Started, then stop and get written confirmation of start of development - you then can take decades to finish it having locked it in against expiry of the Planning Permissions. Usually a soakaway or forming the access may be enough in Scotland, where I think you are. Pre-start planning conditions need attention.

Scotland has been tightening up at the edges - for example in open countryside, but is still far more liberal than England.
  • Options
    Back onto voting, I'm (sadly) just inside the boundaries of Aberdeenshire North and Moray East, which means the lickspittle David Duguid. I'm not voting Tory (for the party or for him), I'm not voting SNP for more corruption. So I am voting LibDem with a clear conscience.

I may not be able to remove the Tory from power, but at least I get to watch him politically neutered on the opposition benches, whining as he does with no ability to stick his tongue up the PMs arse in thanks for not supporting this community.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

geoffw said:

thanks for the two finger advice. That works on my MacBook too, but the point still stands - having to do that interrupts the flow and detracts from comprehension

Or Rightclick menu on the image.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,538

kyf_100 said:

MattW said:

kyf_100 said:

Build more houses.

We briefly toyed with the idea of buying a luxury lodge home near Swannage. Bloody lovely, great location, close to the beach. Until I researched it. 300k for a glorified park home with 8 grand a year fees and you don't own the land. I think the actual lodge itself was only about 75k to buy brand new from the manufacturer anyway. No ta!
    Anyone who buys a caravan or lodge on a holiday park is a Mug, taking a big big risk.

The well known names are the worst offenders.
  • Options

For those of us of a certain age 6% mortgage rates are not high. My first mortgage rate was a whisker under 10% and it often went higher in the turmoil of late 80 and early 90s. Didn't stop housing being a good investment. We have just got far too used to incredibly low rates for too long. It caused a lot of very unhealthy distortions, benefiting those with assets and penalising those trying to build assets from heavily taxed income.
  • Options
    Osborne's Help to Buy scheme is also in danger of blowing up....

Thousands of first-time buyers are now in arrears after purchasing their homes with Help to Buy, The Telegraph can reveal.

In some cases, buyers have faced mortgage and interest charges that are so unaffordable they have had to sell up and rent again, five years into the scheme.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/property/first-time-buyers-forced-sell-up-unaffordable-help-to-buy/
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,222
    edited October 2023
    By way of a change, Sunday PBNature Notes (and, come to think of it, PB Engineering Column for @JosiasJessop ): through the plashy fen passes the questing Mitten Crab.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/oct/14/scientists-build-traps-to-manage-uks-rising-number-of-chinese-mitten-crabs

'It is classified by conservationists as one of the 100 worst invasive alien species in the world. Now, a group of scientists are hoping they have found a way to deplete the UK’s rapidly growing Chinese mitten crab population and prevent the crustaceans, which can grow bigger than a 10-inch dinner plate and have distinctive furry claws, from “eating us out of house and home”.

The group has constructed and installed the UK’s first Chinese mitten crab trap at Pode Hole in Lincolnshire, to catch the voracious predators as they migrate downstream to mate'.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,056
    DavidL said:

For those of us of a certain age 6% mortgage rates are not high. My first mortgage rate was a whisker under 10% and it often went higher in the turmoil of late 80 and early 90s. Didn't stop housing being a good investment. We have just got far too used to incredibly low rates for too long. It caused a lot of very unhealthy distortions, benefiting those with assets and penalising those trying to build assets from heavily taxed income.
    Come on @DavidL, 6% now is harder than 10% back in the day due to general appreciation of the capital cost ahead of inflation.
  • Options

Do you disagree?

War is ugly.
    More Lammynating

Again do you disagree?

SKS and Sunak are wrong

You and Phil support Genocide why am i not surprised
    We do not. If you read what we have posted.

But you have posted your support for a man who states that "there is no evidence that the Palestinian government are murdering children"

There is plenty of evidence that Hamas - the elected government in Palestine, and in absolute control in Gaza - has not just murdered children but has dismembered them. Absolute brutal facts which your man is in denial of.

If that TikTok clip is real (and I have to ask as they has been so much false flag crap as all the journalists will tell you) then it is appalling. And more appalling things are going to happen as a result of something you deny happened.

Why do you only value the lives on one side? Do you also deny that Hamas has slaughtered children? And that Hamas in the government? Or do you just blindly link to any hard left poster and don't think?
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    DavidL said:

The problem is 5% is roughly the historic norm, for good reason i.e. you need that level of interest for it to make the whole system work, whereby a profit can be made on loaning out reasonable amounts of money when you take into consider defaults, cost of administering it etc.

However, we now have a generation of people who have never had to organise their lives around such rates, they themselves and the market have created a system based upon unrealistically low interest rates, forcing prices / amount need to be taken on on a mortgage, encouraging banks to loan as much as possible in order to make returns.

And again, the oldies have done the best out of this, as they bought their homes for (relatively) small amount, paid off the mortgage during the past 30 years (15+ year of which the rates were very low) and now left with a big capital appreciation.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,248
    Leon said:

Leon said:

No, it really doesn't.

When I see not one but two carrier groups reverse parking into the Eastern Med, I get the feels that Biden is getting better advice than in 2021/2022. Whereas then he told Putin “well it depends what sort of invasion it is”, there is now an unambiguous message to the Iranians of “don’t even think about it”.

Deterrence is more effective and less costly the sooner you apply it. For poor Ukraine, the West was utterly wretched because deterrence wasn’t even attempted ex ante. If the House Republicans had any sense, they’d be forcing a budgetary deal that permits Biden to keep playing silly buggers with the Ira but compels him to build another few carrier groups for permanent deployment to the South China Sea.

• Options
    DavidL said:

I bought my first house house in '87, so remember it well. Try telling today's young 'uns that they've never had it so good!
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,248

Leon said:

Leon said:

No, it really doesn't.

Depends on how big the bombs are doesn’t it

• Options

Thousands of first-time buyers are now in arrears after purchasing their homes with Help to Buy, The Telegraph can reveal.

In some cases, buyers have faced mortgage and interest charges that are so unaffordable they have had to sell up and rent again, five years into the scheme.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/property/first-time-buyers-forced-sell-up-unaffordable-help-to-buy/

House prices are still higher than they were five years ago, and wages are higher than they were five years ago.

And even with most of the first five years repayments being interest, some capital should have been repaid by now too.

So anyone who bought five years ago, and has been making repayments, really ought to be better placed able to keep paying for their home now than going back to renting. Unless for some reason they were very badly advised and went for an interest-only loan when interest rates were near-zero.
  • Options
    Topley knee blown up....this is really bad day for England.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Hopefully then house prices go back to the levels they were at in the early 90s too.
  • Options
    twistedfirestopper3twistedfirestopper3 Posts: 2,108
    edited October 2023
  • Options
    edited October 2023

House prices are still higher than they were five years ago, and wages are higher than they were five years ago.

And even with most of the first five years repayments being interest, some capital should have been repaid by now too.

So anyone who bought five years ago, and has been making repayments, really ought to be better placed able to keep paying for their home now than going back to renting. Unless for some reason they were very badly advised and went for an interest-only loan when interest rates were near-zero.
    Nearly 94,000 homeowners who purchased using Help to Buy have not yet repaid their equity loans and will come to the end of their interest-free periods between April 2023 and 2025, according to Telegraph analysis of Homes England data.

Within this group, there are around 11,000 first-time buyers who purchased in London and will have to start paying interest on 40pc equity loans.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/08/12/help-buy-scheme-first-time-buyers-downsize/

It was an interest free for 5 years, so lots of people haven't repaid it, thinking they would just re-mortgage at the end of the 5 years with their house worth a lot more and pay off the lump sum on that loan.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,177
    MattW said:

pm215 said:

Sandpit said:

We did something like that on retirement; sold a four bedroomed house and moved into a smaller bungalow. At the time we had one married ‘child’ and two teenage grandchildren, so seemed like a good idea.
    Five or six years later our other children, both in their thirties, had married and both had become fathers! Hosting everyone is impossible!
    Fortunately one of our children had a similar house to that which we sold!
    Of course things have moved on further now!
    You need to downsize when they are at university, to remove the "Right of Return".
    One of ours didn’t go to Uni; accountancy qualification plus marriage. The other two went as ‘adults’ having worked for five years. One had already left home, the other left almost immediately after university.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,869
    edited October 2023

We're going to lose to both Afghanistan and Fiji today.

The shame.

Edit - I am claiming that wicket.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,273

If a person's advantage is dependent on them not understanding a truth, then they will refuse to understand it.
  • Options

Mortgage arrears are the next crisis in waiting.
    https://www.ukfinance.org.uk/data-and-research/data/arrears-and-possessions
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Do you disagree?

War is ugly.
    More Lammynating

Again do you disagree?

Barty accused someone of making a "disgraceful" comment because they disagreed with him on some minor aspect of the housing debate.

Which of these do you think is "disgraceful"

1: Hamas murdering and dismembering children.
    2: Israel giving warning to Gazans to move away from a conflict zone so they don't get killed in the crossfire.
    3: Telling people they can rent for decades because one day their parents will be dead and then they might inherit.

To me 1 is so far beyond the pale it goes beyond disgraceful, 3 is disgraceful, while 2 is a proportionate response to war to try to minimise civilian casualties.

What would you say?

And wicket!
  • Options
    IMO, Topley has been England's best ODI / T20 bowler over the past couple of years.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,538

Should have been named help to sell. It was not created to help buyers.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Come on @DavidL, 6% now is harder than 10% back in the day due to general appreciation of the capital cost ahead of inflation.
    You mean people are having to borrow more on higher multiples that we did 40 years ago? That is true but it is a consequence of the distortions caused by excessively low interest rates. There will have to be a market correction, hopefully largely effected by housing not keeping up with inflation rather than negative equity driving absolute falls.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Should have been named help to sell. It was not created to help buyers.
    Well it also seems that what happened was those naughty scamps that build starter homes just put up their prices.
  • Options
    Finally a wicket!
  • Options
    PJHPJH Posts: 510
    MattW said:

eek said:

EPG said:

In broad terms, people who were 25-35 used to be more likely to be married, have an extra five years' work under their belts, and maybe even got handed a council house by the government at a significant discount. That's not replicable. More single under-35s equals more renters, it really is that simple, but they will eventually buy once they settle.

Not if prices are at 5-7 times anverage earnings they won’t.
    In 2022 only 22% of purchases with a mortgage involved a single adult (ie single man, single woman or lone parent with dependent children).

I'm surprised it's that low. Though that arguably itself says things about pressure on those demographic groups.

Even if adults with independent children are included, it is still under 40%.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/286481/england-buying-with-mortgage-ownership-by-household-type/
    And don't forget that the 22% includes people like me, divorced in their 50s using what's left of the equity of the family home after dividing the proceeds. Not necessarily "single" people in the way we might picture them in our minds at first.
  • Options

We're going to lose to both Afghanistan and Fiji today.

The shame.

Edit - I am claiming that wicket.
    I am not liking the England line-up for the England. I fear Marcus Smith at full-back might be getting the Jonah Lomu treatment.
  • Options

Nearly 94,000 homeowners who purchased using Help to Buy have not yet repaid their equity loans and will come to the end of their interest-free periods between April 2023 and 2025, according to Telegraph analysis of Homes England data.

Within this group, there are around 11,000 first-time buyers who purchased in London and will have to start paying interest on 40pc equity loans.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/08/12/help-buy-scheme-first-time-buyers-downsize/

It was an interest free for 5 years, so lots of people haven't repaid it, thinking they would just re-mortgage at the end of the 5 years with their house worth a lot more and pay off the lump sum on that loan.
    Yes, but everything I said is still true.

House prices are still higher than they were 5 years ago (ideally not for much longer, but they are and massively so).

Wages are higher in nominal terms than they were 5 years ago.

And they should have been repaying some of their capital on some of the loan too.

If someone bought a home at 7x their income five years ago, it should realistically be down to ~5x their income by now and be cheaper than renting or getting a home now would be.

Getting onto the ladder is the harder thing than staying on it.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Do you disagree?

War is ugly.
    More Lammynating

Again do you disagree?

Which of these do you think is "disgraceful"

1: Hamas murdering and dismembering children.
    2: Israel giving warning to Gazans to move away from a conflict zone so they don't get killed in the crossfire.
    3: Telling people they can rent for decades because one day their parents will be dead and then they might inherit.

To me 1 is so far beyond the pale it goes beyond disgraceful, 3 is disgraceful, while 2 is a proportionate response to war to try to minimise civilian casualties.

What would you say?

And wicket!
    Someone needs to give the Barty-o-meter a tap on the glass.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

House prices are still higher than they were 5 years ago (ideally not for much longer, but they are and massively so).

And they should have been repaying some of their capital on some of the loan too.

If someone bought a home at 7x their income five years ago, it should realistically be down to ~5x their income by now and be cheaper than renting or getting a home now would be.

The crucial thing is many haven't, in fact I think many were advised not to.
  • Options

The difference is that banks were funding 6x income five years ago, and aren’t doing so now.
This discussion has been closed.